Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right, y'all. Welcome to another episode of Civic Cipher. I'm your host, Ramses Josh, call me Q Ward and uh yeah, today's another special show that we have for You've got another special guest.
Speaker 2: Extra infhas is on special. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Man, he's the Man of Man, the Man of the decade.
Speaker 2: I want to say, now, you're being kind there's kindness in there.
Speaker 3: Listen.
Speaker 1: If you know who I'm talking about, you know exactly why I say that. You know, for a lot of folks who listen to the show who are not based in Phoenix, Arizona, it's very important that I paint a picture of today's guest on the show. He goes by the name of Thad Shay. So, first off, welcome for being.
Speaker 2: On the show. Thank you for having me. Thank you you and Q I appreciate you. Thank you very much.
Speaker 1: And I want to tell a personal story just to give you an idea of who he is, and then I'll let you know why it's important that we had him up on today's episode. So for those that know, I used to do a show called Friday Night Flavors, later change the name to Ready Said Radio. Later changed the name to Ryman reason later changed the name to Radio Sostice. You might know the story. And somewhere along the line, I met an artist's name Uncut.
Speaker 3: Based on his Twitter handle.
Speaker 1: This was back before Instagram was out, it was just Twitter at the time, and he had a song that I loved. Well, I'll sing the President this song as long as I'm able to. Yeah that I didn't time, I won it all record.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 4: And as I could yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyway, a prolific voice, an extremely talented artist, and you know, being in that position, you're not really in a position to play favorites.
Speaker 3: But since I.
Speaker 1: Don't do that anymore, I just let everybody know I was definitely playing favorites because that song wasn't my favorite. I was very much looking forward to all your new releases and all that sort of stuff. I did not know that, man, Yeah, man, absolutely, I'm I'm glad I got to tell.
Speaker 2: You Whendy's number three on me. I appreciate you.
Speaker 3: Man, It's all worth it.
Speaker 1: But you know, things change, you know, as they do, and uh, you know, we we're all looking for, you know, progression, evolution, the next step in our careers, and you know, fad Shade went from uncut A or uncut rather to uh Fattius Shade. This was when by by now Instagram had come out, you know, all these sorts of things, and he had, because of his ability to know at work to inspire people to get people to like him. You know, just a very likable person, a large, huge personality, uh, extremely funny, just the sort of person everybody wants to be around and you know, be close to party with that energy all the way through and through he ended up finding himself around a lot of promotions promoters rather than doing a lot of promoting.
Speaker 3: And I love to see this evolution.
Speaker 1: I watched it, you know a lot of it from Afar, but you know, of course I monitored it over the years. And his humor, he was one of the few people early on who was able to translate his personality and his humor through his social media. As a result of that, he was able to build a huge organic following on social media across various platforms, which further established him as in my opinion, based on what I know, I would say the premier promoter in Arizona in terms of your in terms of at least in terms of your capacity to get the word out.
Speaker 3: To many thousands of people.
Speaker 1: And I don't think that that's really something that anybody could really argue because I'm talking about numbers. With that said, today's episode, we're going to talk about the discrimination that a lot of times black folks find in nightlife, in entertainment in various cities, not just in Phoenix. You know, all of us have you know, moved around quite a bit. But I happen to know that you know, Q has spent a lot of time and a significant part of his DJ career in Arizona and Phoenix and on the West Coast DJ and of course Dad Shade you know, as in my opinion or at least based on the numbers, the premiere the largest UH promoter in Arizona. You know, it felt like having these two voices at this table to have this conversation was appropriate. So once again back to the show. Yes, you know Q, obviously, you know I got I got plans for Q. But but today we're gonna make it about you, mister Shade.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you.
Speaker 3: So, you know I told a little bit of the story.
Speaker 1: Is there anything that I missed in terms of you know, getting into the game, uh, the promotion game, and and you know, getting really established in in old town Scottsdale, which has a history of really not letting black folks, you know, take take rout out there.
Speaker 4: Well, first of all, Man, thank you for the kind words. Again, I don't do a lot of shows, you know what I'm saying. I've gotten asked, and I don't for one reason or another. I uh, you know, dip and dodge or whatever the case may be. But I did really want to come because listen, I was Uh, I was sleepy, Man, I was sleepy.
Speaker 2: Let me just say that I was. I was sleepy. I was talking to Dave Youn on the phone.
Speaker 4: And I was like, Man, Ramses is my guy. But I'm looking through my live book, you know what I'm saying. Oh can I say that my bed, I'm looking through my lives.
Speaker 2: I'm like my black lives. How about that Black lives matter?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 2: Black lives matter?
Speaker 4: And uh, but now I was like, man's Ramses, I'm gonna I'm gonna get it together to go so I don't get a chance to hear people actually kind.
Speaker 2: Of Uh, it's gonna.
Speaker 4: Sound bad, I guess kind of acknowledge, Uh, you know, I consider myself a billboard, you know what I'm saying, So uh Fresh maybe doing something. You may be doing something. If you send it to me, I feel like I'm a billboard. Like people will get a chance to really see it, as far as like homere's your question again, man, Well, first I remember, don't worry about it.
Speaker 2: I'm just messing with you. Now, go ahead, go ahead? What was it? Well?
Speaker 1: Okay, first off, I want to make sure that that I acknowledge a couple of names that you mentioned. One was Daveon. He's just another one of the uh the the the bigger promoters in this town. And then fresh Maker, although I don't consider him a promoter, is certainly a champion of the black agenda, and here is among the bigger promoters he in my opinion, he's more of a DJ and a host and so a very important part of the nightlife scene. And there's some other folks too. There's a VIP Enterprises with Corey, and there's you know, uh uh Black I know it was one of them, Mike Cooper, Trees, Yeah, Micha Laurie. A lot of folks and if I'm forgetting your name, it's just because you know, I'm on the spot. But it's important to establish that that there are.
Speaker 3: A lot of black folks.
Speaker 1: Who, at least in the city where I'm from and a lot of the cities where I do this sort of work, really have a tremendous amount of business sense.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: The promotion game is, you know, it's it's just kind of a tough game and it's a shady game, but people who are able to make a go of it in.
Speaker 3: Terms of entertaining.
Speaker 1: The thing is is that it wasn't always this case in old town scott Stille where there were black voices at the table, and I know that that was an uphill battle. So originally what I was asking is, in terms of your getting established, do you recall, you know, did I leave anything out of the story? You know, in terms of you getting sort of your legs under you.
Speaker 4: Oh, okay, As far as like starting to promote and stuff like that, One thing I learned early was to be a comeleion of faces like I prefer like to be in the crib are comic books, you know, looking at Bruce Lee videos and you know, and watching old nineties Sitcomps's where I prefer to be. That's why I've always wanted to be right, just be chilling, you know, making some dollars chilling and enjoying those things.
Speaker 2: But early on.
Speaker 4: I really learned that, man, you I don't really have a lot of different uh faces, just you know, being able to adapt on on spot to who you're dealing with, uh up front and in front of you. Kind of uh picking that up from you know, I'm from Kansas City, Missouri, so picking that up uh street wise was something I always uh something that something just I just kind of gravitory gravitated to. My brother was a hustler and that linked down to me. So everything I did was uh just learning how to sell you whatever you needed.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: So now that fast forward all that so I'm going through all the old man stuff, I will fast forward all that to.
Speaker 2: Music.
Speaker 4: So when I was doing music, being able to take that sharpie and didn't take a you know, ah you know, blank desk, handwrite my name on there, and I ain't got I got handwriting. I got doctor's handwriting. So my trash being able to write my name on there and then go down to the local gas station or the gas station down there.
Speaker 2: Where ain't number ain't number of brothers.
Speaker 4: I can't because you told me you almost ain't number brothers. You got box Chevies and monies and everybody a d boy they got. You know, this is real, real street, real street stuff, right. Being able, Yeah, I'm sorry, it's gonna make it easy. Yeah, yeah, street stuff. So being able to sell somebody some scribble was something I was heavily impressed with with myself. Do you understand what I'm saying? Like, I got music on there, but I ain't got no decorations on here. I ain't got no pictures. I ain't got no artwork on here, ain't no farm animals, nothing on here. I'm just gonna write my name on here, decide decide my name of this album, and I'm gonna scribble it on here, and I'm gonna walk up to you know what I'm saying, the Thuggies and Thuggies and I'm like, brother, you know what I'm saying, what's up? Man?
Speaker 2: This is what I'm doing? Da da da da.
Speaker 4: You could put it in check it out if you need be. And I was selling. So when I realized I was able to do that, that really ran and I got out here.
Speaker 2: I got out here when I was like twenty one or like twenty two.
Speaker 4: And I wasn't ooh it was you know what I'm saying, Bro, I'm old.
Speaker 2: Bro. It was two thousand.
Speaker 4: Four approximately five, oh you know what, like two thousand full five. But I take that and I'll take that, and I just brought that with me. So when I got out here, now, listen, I had never you know, me and planes and I'm I'm Kansas City. Everything I did was it was, it was. It was in the slums, it was in the hood. I moved around, I did things that would you know, product of environment type stuff.
Speaker 2: So when I got out here, I was like, oh, oh this is this is nice. You know what I'm saying. The weather is nice, the palm trees, the women he's nice, and you know, the women's is nice. And the roads is paved. You know what I'm saying. It ain't potholes.
Speaker 3: And so.
Speaker 2: I really enjoyed the first time I came out here, but I didn't stay.
Speaker 4: I would go back and i'd go forth because I was just having a hard time leaving your fami.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: When I got out here, I think I got I made that decision. I know, it's a long wind to stick with me, folks. I got out here and it was like seventy five and it was around Christmas time, and I was sold because I don't know if y'all you.
Speaker 2: You know Detroit, yes, you know my story, y'all would think.
Speaker 5: Y'all would think I was just like I read his script and just reset it.
Speaker 2: It's almost identical. Yeah. Man, it wasn't Christmas.
Speaker 5: It was February, but it was seventy five degrees and everything just did what I said, all that nice, every category of nice.
Speaker 2: He just said me too. Yeah, one thousand percent.
Speaker 4: Man, not having to snow and you know, ice storms and branches breaking and all types of stuff.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 4: I just I just was sold, man. And plus I was doing some back home. My mom's was out here, my uncle's out here, right. Sorry, Oh man, you know I got you. Man, I'm I'm i'ma don't cuse okay, cool and anyway.
Speaker 2: Man. So when I got out here, it was the first club I ever I was sorry about that. First club I.
Speaker 4: Ever went to was a club next right, And I had to do that through new times. At the time, I was opening up new times, like see what hip hop clubs I had because I.
Speaker 2: Didn't know how to you know, figure out, you know, to reach anybody.
Speaker 4: I knew that I knew how to sell some stuff and I could hustle my way in there. But I was, man, I was like three thirty at the time, and I was wearing like five XT's and like fifty ways June I was back, you know, clothes a baggy.
Speaker 2: So I was baggy and I didn't know that.
Speaker 4: You know, I was coming up Scottsdale and it was it was real white and you know that wasn't the thing. Brother, How do you know?
Speaker 2: What do you know?
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying. We can't have you come in here like that. You know what I'm saying. Look, I got like fifty dollars on me. I can't have you take that from me. That's really what you know what I'm saying. The energy that I felt, right, So I just I managed to get past folks by talking you know what I'm saying, and being able to once again adapt to how they were talking to me.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying. I had to bring their guard down.
Speaker 4: That's the one thing black folks is, believe it or not, We're really good at de arming people, you know what I'm saying, like like just bringing yeah, whenever you need to like you, You when when you're in front of somebody who's not black and you can tell that they are uncomfortable, we have a way of like, come on, it's all right, all right, you know what I'm saying. I almost like being hugged by Beyonce on a on a Sunday Sunday afternoon. You know what I'm saying. Just got done giving you a glass of lemonade. She gave you a big hug.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying. We able to make you feel good, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: And so once I did that, man I got in with the manager there and the GM there. He would let me come in there, and man, I would I sell CDs in there inside the club in Old Town?
Speaker 2: I would.
Speaker 4: I got a chance to talk to people, meet people. That's how I linked up with Swiss Beats. I mean, everything that has happened to me out here was you know, was from that moment and being in Old Town to watch now for doing music shifting that into promotion. Those go hand in hand, believe it or not, Because if you're an independent artist, you got to be a better marketer than the labels.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying. You have to know how to.
Speaker 4: Market yourself better than the labels. You gotta be able to talk better than what a label manager can talk. You got to be able to spit the game, right.
Speaker 3: I think that that's.
Speaker 1: Very important, especially when you consider the climate of two thousand and five Scottsdale, Arizona. And I'll even fast.
Speaker 3: Forward a bit.
Speaker 2: I'm I was a winded right there.
Speaker 1: Oh no, no, no, you're good. You're good good, That's what I wanted to hear. So how about this, When there was a time a little more than ten years ago, we'll call it eight through maybe two thousand and twelve ish, And it wasn't just Scottsdale, Arizona. It wasn't just Phoenix, It was Vegas.
Speaker 3: I would dj in Vegas. It was La. A lot of the clubs in La, you.
Speaker 1: Know, And and there was a lot of cities that really caught onto this wave of EDM music.
Speaker 3: And I'm gonna say this real quick, just because a lot of folks might know it.
Speaker 1: EDM music comes from house music, house music from black people in Chicago. If you do your research, you understand that. So that's still black music. You go, you'd be hard pressed in this country and most of the countries on the earth.
Speaker 4: Most of the songs I think was a little bit in there too, right, But you know, yeah, but in the development you know, So y'all know what I'm saying. In any event, uh, I recall at that time in at least Scottsdale in Vegas, because I spent I had a residency at Planet Hollywood in twenty ten, so I was there on the.
Speaker 1: Strip every Sunday night that hip hop music. If you played hip hop music, people were worried that it would bring the wrong crowd. And you have these cryptic uh words and phrases crowd. And then here in Phoenix, you know, there's a group at the time it was called EEG Evening Entertainment Group by a couple named less than I Am, who are known racists.
Speaker 2: And you're gonna put me okay, all right, go ahead, now you're going you're right, because.
Speaker 4: Well I'm not. I'm just telling you what I know to be true of my experience. No no, no, no, no, no, me and you were on the same page. I got to go back to work in Skoy'sdale.
Speaker 2: So good.
Speaker 3: I don't have that problem, so let me tell it.
Speaker 1: But these people would uh you know, and they've had many night clubs over the years, and this is I'm picking on them, but this, this sentiment is prevalent not just in old town, but I experienced in even more global cities. Like I said, Vegas was really where I spent a lot of that d M where Edim was sort of peaking musically in this country. And during that time, I recall myself having to wait in line, you know. I'd be invited places by you know, who ever is you know, the GM of the club, you know, but the security is so trained to keep anyone with brown skin at the door facts, you know, and to discriminate. They're taught to discriminate. I remember hearing the phrase non swimmers. I remember hearing the uh someone this is I think it was Less himself had gone up to a friend of mine in Radio j Philla and mentioned to him like, wow, it's a dark knight in here, isn't it, referring to the that there was heard too many black men and there's a ratio established at the door. So in a lot of cities around the country, there has been established this idea.
Speaker 3: That if you wear tennis shoes or George but tennis shoes, and it.
Speaker 2: Was almost very specifically Jordan's.
Speaker 1: But here's what I'm what I'm going to say, you know, because once upon a time, it was like, you can't wear a plain T shirt. Then it became well, you have to have a collar, and then it became well you can't have a chain on, and and all these sorts of things, which truthfully only applied to folks who had brown skin, who were those clothes in such a way that it looked a little bit different from what they were trying to establish in those clubs. And they would tell their bouncers to embarrass us while we stood in line, to discriminate, and it you know, standing in line. And I don't think this gets said enough. And I think it's important to say names. I think it's important to say the names of institutions because at present in this country, we're going through a time of reconciliation, we're going through a time of healing and understanding what it is that it's like to be us, and these subtle traumas, if you will have subtle impacts over time, and then it boils, it boils up, and then eventually it boils over. Now then you start to feel like, well, the world hates me, you know, And I don't think that that is a healthy.
Speaker 3: Thing to do.
Speaker 1: And so while we have this platform, it's very important for us to talk about it. But I will say this in my own experience, I've been made to stand out in front of the clubs. Now, I'm the person who's from the radio, primetime, I'm on TV, and yet these security guards, these bouncers are making me stand out and then someone has to come down. I have to text somebody standing there looking stupid after nobody stood in a line, and then wait my turn for someone to come and rescue me from my own black and say, oh, he's one of the good ones. And you have to understand how humiliating that is. And I think it's important that all of us kind of have these sorts of conversations so that we know that it's not just happening to me. And if you're listening to my voice right now, that you recognize that this is not happening just to you, or if you're an ally to black folks, or brown folks, because I do recognize that our brown brothers and sisters endure these sorts of of things as well, that you understand how to be a better ally to folks who might endure these sorts of things, you know, and then we all again I say this a lot, but we all take a step forward as brothers and sisters. So in these clubs where you know they're playing black music, I don't care how much you want to whitewash it. Obviously nowadays and you know, you know, twenty twenty era. I can't say twenty twenty because no clubs have been open in twenty twenty, but you know, in the past few years, and I would imagine in the coming years, hip hop has you know, regained its center stage definitely status musically and in terms of nightlife. And it's interesting to know that a club will and I want you to speak to this Q, A club will hire a black DJ two gives some authenticity to their hip hop night on Saturday. And my understanding is where you were DJing, was the biggest club in Arizona, or least the most expensive and not let black folks and or at the very least give them a hard time when it came to coming in.
Speaker 3: It just reflect your experience, so.
Speaker 2: Very very interesting.
Speaker 5: My perspective similar to that and maybe similar to yours as well, as I wasn't introduced to this city or to this space as a DJ when I met both of you guys. I was a rep for a very successful French luxury brand that has an alcohol in spirits division, Louis Vuitton Moet Hennessy, and we were introducing to the market for the first time in almost three hundred years a new mark of alcohol from that brand group, and it was called Hennessy Black. One of the most successful reps in the United States, highest sales conversion, most new engagement, most cocktails soul per night, however you want to measure it, I was tops in the country and a lot of the first meetings that I went to, and it's even really difficult to say this out loud now, I think all of us are hypothetically revolutionary. If anybody ever steps to me with some racist stuff or challenges me in that way, I'm going to respond. This way is how we all hypothetically think until the way that we make a living and feed ourselves and our families are adjacent to that hypothetical revolutionary. So I'm trying to introduce a new cognac to Arizona at large, but Scottsdale specifically, and the word Hennessy in two thousand and eight, and Scott'sdale really really wasn't the word that you want to step into these meetings with because I got to be put in the position of exceptional negro. I'll say, you know, if you've ever seen the movie Django, the way that DiCaprio's character speaks about the exceptional negro, the one in however, many that's different because he speaks better, because he presents himself as more put together, because he's friendlier or disarming, as my brother said earlier in the interview. So I had people tell me to my face, Q, we love you, but we don't want your crowd, and like I'm shaking saying it now because it's so overtly insulting. But in those meetings, I didn't get mad and storm out. I sat, finished my meeting, finished my pitch, and had to figure out how am I going to come back next week and get these people to buy this liquor from me. They didn't even say we don't want the product. They tasted it, they thought it was great. But like the worst of us are going to show up and destroy their business if they if they put Henessy behind the bar, the worst of us, because I'm not I'm not the worst of us.
Speaker 2: I'm exceptionally. They loved me. But if they bring Hennessy in here, especially Hennessy Black.
Speaker 5: Then the worst black and brown people, the worst, the non exceptional negroes are going to show up and destroy our clubs.
Speaker 2: I want to say that we can't have that.
Speaker 1: You did get that off uh in downtown Phoenix, which is has a different culture than.
Speaker 3: At least at least at that time at the time.
Speaker 1: But I think that's important that you mentioned that because, as I stated earlier, not only have you thad been able to sort of overcome that climate, but you've also been able to thrive. And my understanding is that out of your promotional efforts, you've been able to get many successful nights with many partners all working together. From where it from where from where I sit, it doesn't look like you take a lot in the way of L's in terms of your the nights you promote, and then you've been able to parlay that into other efforts, in other words, a successful black owned business. And I'll share a quick story with those listening. I had a chance to recently sit down with you and and and a lot of your the folks you work with, your team, and based on some miscommunication, some misunderstanding, you know, I kind of warranted the meeting. But the one thing that I was able to say, and I'll say it again, is that I'm very very.
Speaker 3: Proud of you, all of you.
Speaker 1: If if the rest of you are listening to this, and and then I'm also proud of anyone in any other city as well who has managed to make a go of this because they do recognize that the discrimination of black folks while using black culture to make money is something that is prevalent. And as a black person, to know that your culture is good enough, your music's good enough, the way you dress and the way you talk, and you know, everything about you is cool.
Speaker 4: Your athletes are cool, everything about you is cool. But you, personally, you the individual, the human who is endowed with consciousness. I would rather you didn't involve yourself to any significant degree. I just want to take all the good parts of you over here in party and everything that makes you who you are.
Speaker 1: Please keep that on that side. That's to me, seems like an attack on a character and your integrity. And to have to endure that to make a successful go at some thing across the board, or to even have to endure it to just go out and have a good time.
Speaker 3: You know, even if this isn't your your career path or whatever.
Speaker 1: If you're just a person who works a job and you know, once a month or once every three months, or you get to go out and have a good time and you get held up at the door discriminated against.
Speaker 3: You know, I really.
Speaker 1: I have this platform, and I wanted to make sure that I said that this is not an experience that is exclusive to you.
Speaker 3: It happens to a lot of folks.
Speaker 1: The world is getting better, And if you have any residual traumas from that, that's okay, because I clearly have them myself. Should never have endured them myself. Now, because you are a business owner, a successful promoter, and obviously you've established your own culture, your own brand, your own name in a city known for its discriminatory practices, what were some of the things that you recalled during early on to reach out to black and brown folks to let them know, Hey, this is a place that's safe for you. How did you go about cultivating an environment where folks felt welcome and so forth?
Speaker 4: The reconstruction I work at Club International. Now right there, you we pretty much had to tear it down, not physically but mentally owner wise.
Speaker 2: Tear them, tear them down, and then rebuild them back up.
Speaker 4: Because much like you said, they wanted the music, they want the athletes. You know what I'm saying, Uh, they want the dollar. And most of the time when they come knocking on us, they're in the red. Their their club is struggling and they need some some some help. They need like a couple of couple of floatings or something like that.
Speaker 2: That's how it works. They in trying to get back to the black man, and uh, that was the situation.
Speaker 4: And so you gotta tear them down, man, You gotta you gotta tell them like yo, you can't. You can't want everything else. And then I want the people and joins is hip hop. That's the culture. You know what I'm saying. No, believe it or not, hats is the culture.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying. Uh, the jeans, the T.
Speaker 4: Shirts that we rock, that's all that all belongs. That's our style. You can't deny them access you.
Speaker 2: This is you.
Speaker 4: You want to go hip hop, this is what it is. This is the people that enjoy and they love it. Black brown they even what. Let me tell you something, please please. Hip hop is extremely diverse, bro. You know what I'm saying. Everybody can come into the hip hop spot and enjoy themselves.
Speaker 2: Everybody.
Speaker 4: You rarely see folks in the country, black folks, black brown folks at the country bars or you know what I'm saying. But hip hop, you can come in. You can enjoy yourself, man, super diverse. Everybody can come in it.
Speaker 2: You like you like.
Speaker 4: Luda, enjoy yourself, you want Drake, enjoy yourself. That's really what it is. But it was it's just a it was a wild start because they really didn't want Jordan's like. They didn't they didn't want the hats, they didn't they you know, you got to put them in the button up, you know what I'm saying, And not saying that we can't get all dressed up and you know, and in the Sunday's best and come shine. But a lot of the culture. Man, we'd like to put stuff together. That's we got to coordinate. We like to put stuff now. But now look, yeah, that's gonna be flying, you know what I'm saying. And that was that was a real challenge inside the building. And I mean it was a tug of war. It wasn't like you know, overnight. This was inch by inch inch by inch, inch by inch. They finally gave.
Speaker 2: A little here.
Speaker 4: We got to give a little bit. Then we had to get a little bit here. You gotta give a lot more. And then they gave a little bit and slowly, surely, now you can come in. You know what I'm saying. You can be yourself. And that's crazy when you think about it, because it's a hip hop club, you know what I'm saying. And you know, I mean starting an international We was dealing with police. The police didn't want us there. They didn't want us, say at all, it was pure harassment. Then you can go with fire marshals constantly coming in. I mean, you name it. If it wasn't honestly, if it wasn't for us being in the corner where we're at, well, like we're in the heart of old town, like we're in the herd of old town, but we're on our little we We got our space down there, you know what I'm saying. But if we was if we were inside you know what I'm talking about, where you got mind, you got high fired autumn spots.
Speaker 5: Like that exact, that wouldn't exist.
Speaker 4: We wouldn't exist there. They can't have that, you know what I'm saying. They can't have that. They're this is this is the thing that I think they fear most, which is wild. Our club we don't have fights like that, We don't have shootings. You know what I'm saying, This is this is wild. A lot of these other bars, these country bars, and I would say predominantly white bars, these hop have way more fights in us, way, way, way way more fights. And there's this big fear is that they can't. So when I when I'm in this, when I'm in this and we're talking about it, you learn that white security really feels like they can't handle us, you know what I'm saying. And there and there's there's some truth in that. We don't surround you know what I'm saying. You put a little here to see in the oh, my Atlanta.
Speaker 2: Proceed. Please you put a little here to see in us. We're not gonna be easy, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: You a couple of a couple of white folks, they might get some beers in them and you can just push them on out, you know what I'm saying. But we're really not looking to do that. There's too many women in the spot, you know what I'm saying. And I for years after years after years after years, just a stereotype, by international stereotype about any black club is that there's just all these fights and this is this constant shooting, these constant just just just just this aggressive environment. And that's really not the case, you know what I'm saying, not saying that stuff don't happen. I'm not saying we perfect. Ain't no, ain't no spot perfect, But that's really not the case. And I could just remember, like there'll be moments where you would look up and there's been times we've had an artist I ain't and you know we can I don't. We could pick any artists. We had a grip of artists, right and all of a sudden, fire marshals is there. They just sitting chilling, you know, all the other clubs down that way, they packed busy line.
Speaker 2: They just fire marshals, just chilling, you know, just chilling. I don't know what y'all doing. Everything good, looks nice in here. You got forty people and it looks good, though, looks good, y'all. Keep y'all forty people in there.
Speaker 4: And they just and then you know, Ben being Ben, and then they finally just leave and we can get back to businessman. But that's a constant thing that we've really really had to deal with. And it's wild to think that we, uh, just by being us, we cause so much fear.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, bro, oh, we we're just trying.
Speaker 4: To party like everybody else. That's really it. That's that's all were trying to do. Come out and have a good time.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Women trying to see some men, Men trying to see some women, you know what I'm saying. And that's really that's really what it is. Man.
Speaker 2: I've seen and experienced so many things.
Speaker 4: Man, it's not to say because it's not to say that, you know, you know, there's we got some great sheriffs that work for us, you know what I'm saying, And they they really do understand. They really really really do understand. Let me be very clear, I'm friends with these shrifs. These these guys that I bet at myself. Listen, I bet at them. I put them in the thing, but I put the spotlight of them.
Speaker 2: I said, what y'all do? So these are really.
Speaker 4: Legit guys and they understand, like man, you know, especially you'll see some of the younger sheriffs come in or got the sheriffs that haven't worked the night, and you can.
Speaker 2: See their little edgy there's a lot, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: And but it's funny because within you know, maybe that first night as a Friday, they work by Sunday because we're opening Sundays by Sunday. It's cool, good, same, what's up to people talking to everybody because that's not we there the party, have a good time. We're not looking for problems, man. And it's so it's it's crazy how we're so feared and it shouldn't be that way, man. We just you know, every sheriff needs to experience swag surf. Definitely, it was dead everything. Definitely, Definitely swagsurf could make the bloods and the crypts do. But that does to the room if you're a sheriff and you ain't never been in it and you see that the unity, Yeah, that's expressed when that song comes on. Yeah, I think we did a lot of that fear.
Speaker 1: For those that don't know, the Swag Surf is a song that is a it's a black song, but it's it's a song that everybody is real.
Speaker 3: Easy to get with it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it provides it's a beautiful thing. It is. Before now, uh, I wanted to ask you something please, because obviously this is not the first time there have been complaints about the way black folks are treated in as far as like nightlife is concerned.
Speaker 1: And I do recall recently there was a resolution that was proposed to try to address some of these racist practices that these companies either have a very cavalier attitude toward or are willingly undertaking so as to you know, acquire the precise ratio of you know, white to brown to black in their clubs so that it has the aesthetic that they feel fits, you know, their business model. And this resolution, well, first off, you've seen it.
Speaker 3: I know you've seen it. How do you feel about it?
Speaker 5: I think that it was very very well put together, you know, resolution resolute to resolve, that the intentions of the document are very well articulated, and if it was given proper attention, would be something really really awesome. Except typically, and I'll use a company like Nike for instance, even if they don't love us, even if they actually don't care about us, they absolutely respect and appreciate our dollar. So if the best athletes in the world who Nike represents came to them with the resolution, they would take it very seriously. They care about their business partners, people like Lebron James. They care about their business partners. Even if they don't care about Lebron James the human, they care a whole lot about that twenty three in that crown, right, that LJ and that crown, they care a lot about that. So that would be given the proper attention, taken into actual consideration, and some action steps would be put in place so that their partners and their consumers would feel respected, appreciated, and comfortable continuing to give them their money. The problem with the audience that this document was intended for is that they don't care.
Speaker 1: You mean, the club owners would not care about a resolution.
Speaker 5: Why they don't. They actually don't want us there. I look at the camera and say that, hold on, let me fix my ad. They actually don't want us there, So there's no real reason to take such a document serious. I told you guys, those meetings I went to. Eventually I got Hennessy and all those clubs, all of them in surplus. But do you know why the market crashed and their typical consumer stopped spending money. You know who was still doing bottle service when the market crashed? Yeah, I got that swash. We were in there so because our people were the only people really spending money. When people whose wealth and well being was tied to the market, see ours wasn't. But when people whose security, sense of self, sense of well being was tied to the market and it crashed, those people got scared. They started liquid their nassets, selling golf clubs, et cetera. We were still going to the club because we just worked all week. We can't wait to go out this weekend. We just worked all week so we could go out this week, right, so we are Please give me two tables, y'all. Ain't nobody in there give me that whole? Give me that Fox and five, give me that whole section over there. So then they call like, hey, hey, Q about that henness that hennessy black right, can we do a couple of.
Speaker 2: Cases of that this weekend? See how it goes.
Speaker 5: And that got us back in the door. But as soon as they were able to float without us, the same practices that always existed, like really really random, strange, unrealistic dress codes, came right back into play.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, okay, so let me jump in right here. Well, first off, if you're just tuning in, you're tuned in to Civic Cipher.
Speaker 3: I'my host Rams's.
Speaker 2: Jack called me q Ward and that just so happens to be my actual name.
Speaker 1: Special guest today, Dad Shade, Promoter extraordinaire Nightlight.
Speaker 5: Yeah, thank you, and an absolute genuinely good person, which means more than all the other stuff that I just said.
Speaker 4: OnlyFans dot com Chocolate Warrior it, Oh yeah, you go up this plus so listen up. He made an excellent point and I think that.
Speaker 1: At some point, and I'm not just saying this because of who I am, and I guess I'll just say it. I won't say any names, though, but for folks that know me personally, you may know that I actually own a couple of night clubs and myself I can't promote them for obvious reasons. But if you want to, you know, do a little research. It's not hard to find out for yourself. In an event, I think it's at some point in the future we do need to have a conversation about supporting black owned businesses.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: To be fair, there haven't always been black owned clubs, and up until I think me and I think the Worthies who came after me, there was no black ownership. But there was the next best thing, which was effectively what you were doing with Fresh and Dave Beyond and everyone else, and then taking those dollars and then investing them in barbershops and hair stons and so forth. I was so proud of you for doing that than you so I will always be proud of you. That's amazing to me. I think that at some point we really need to have a conversation if UQ are able to say that we were that excited to go as a people, that excited to go and spend our dollars and cents with people who were openly racist.
Speaker 3: You know, like out loud with it, you know.
Speaker 1: And you know, I've just never heard the insult non swimmers and stuff. How in the world. And this is the people that owned access and radius. You know, I think that's less than I am. But they're not the only ones, you know.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: But in any event, it pains me to know that we were that excited to go back and spend our money to buy bottles from these places that hated us, changed their minds when it was fiscally convenient for them, and then as soon as what they could get back to their the base that they wanted, all of a sudden, Hennessy black is too black again, and we are relegated, as you said, to the corner where we can throw our little parties and still get harassed by far and fire marshals and the sheriffs that don't know you and haven't been vetted by you. And I think that at some point we all need to have a real conversation about what it is that we want. Do we want to be accepted by them or who hate us? Or do we want to be accepted by us? And I think that no matter who you are, you have to love yourself first. You have to come to terms with who you are in the world and determine and decide your own value. If you expect anyone else to keep that energy around, have that energy around you. So I think that that bears saying, at least in this conversation, not to take anything away from anybody who's doing anything. And I certainly, you know, I've been doing this for a very long time. I far be it for me to promote my own interest, But it just is something that needs to be said. It's long overdue. Perhaps this is the first time, at least for me, that something like this has been able.
Speaker 3: To be said out loud. This is this.
Speaker 1: These sorts of things were happening in the nineties, you know, from what I recall, I you know, I didn't have anyone who went to party in the eighties, so I didn't know if the practices were as a discriminatory way back then or if the nature.
Speaker 2: Of course I bet I bet it was.
Speaker 1: You you know what I'm saying, But before I was old enough to go to a night club, there was discriminatory practices. And here we are a solid thirty years into the future. And my understanding is that you know, with the one notable exception Old Town is still very much what it's meant to be. And then all the other old towns quote unquote, and all the other cities in this country largely.
Speaker 3: Behave the same way.
Speaker 1: That's from Miami up to Seattle and all the way well Seattle's kind of cool, but all the way down to La Yes, of course, you know New York has you know, there's parts of New York where they will definitely hold your color, your the.
Speaker 3: Language you speak against you.
Speaker 1: So you know, again that's something that really I wanted to make sure that I was able to say.
Speaker 3: Now question for both of you.
Speaker 1: Well, first off, mister Shade, that shade you spend any time ever in church? Ever been to a church in your life?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Man, yes or no?
Speaker 1: I want to ask both of y'all, what do you think is more segregated. It's just because they go together. You know, Saturday night you had a club, you know where you go Sunday morning where a lot of people go Sunday morning. Sometime they were to the same clothes to the church. And you know, my father was a minister, His father was a minister. I grew up around church folks. One of the things that I noticed when I was, you know, little all the way growing up, you know, I used to be a royal ranger. I went to Valley Cathedral, which was a predominantly white church, and I couldn't, for the life of me figure out why the preacher, although he was a Pentecostal preacher, was a white man in there. For what lots of white folks went there. I was one of the only black folks that went to that church. It was probably over a thousand people. And then, of course Black church is very segregated. But the same thing is true, I think artificially so with nightlife. But if both of you all have been in churches, you know, what do you think is more segregated nightlife or.
Speaker 2: Church?
Speaker 3: Church?
Speaker 2: Church? And it's not even close. It's not. Yeah, it's not even close.
Speaker 1: So I feel like, but I think they do run. I think that just me being able to say that suggests that the problem is of course a lot larger than you know. They're holding us up in the in the lines at the clubs, and they're not giving us, you know, the dignity that we mean.
Speaker 4: There's there's been I just want to say this, man, there's been moments. Man, I've established myself. You know what I'm saying doing this, And I've went to some of the other spots and I've been turned away for not being old enough. Look at my eydis Oh you're not old enough to get in. And I'm like, man, look bro, you know, but like, uh, but I avoid all that. I don't even deal with them spots like that was like my last jart. I was some years ago and there was a hi Fi, you know what I'm saying, and do tell me I wouldn't old enough to get in? And I look, I've in my time, I've scared some some doorman because at the moment, because you can only sometimes you just not for it.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: You're not for the board, so you're not for the you're not for the you're not for the stuff.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: You know, I feel so bad, but you're not even for it. So you have these moments where you just you just let it out. And I've let it out a couple of times and then you just kind of learned, Man, don't even don't even put yourself in that. But I've been turned away for Halloween night. Oh you got on Oran it's Halloween. I've seen people come in here butt naked.
Speaker 2: It's Halloween. You've got little I'm for real for I'm not just.
Speaker 4: Right, and and guys wearing weird g stream crap whatever. But you got on Jordan's. You came, my boy, my boy Craigs with me. You can't get in? You got you got on Jordan's. It's Halloween, bro, This is like the one night that I feel like I could dress like me and y'all not supposed to be tripping. You know what I'm saying like, I'm basically what you're going out is some somebody dressed enjoys hip hop.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm going out in. That's can I Can I get in? You know what I'm saying, like, But no, I've been. I've been. It's it's it's it's insane.
Speaker 4: Man, that area and why we like to be in there. But that goes to it. You could talk to that's a that's a bigger issue behind that, man. It's something about you know, getting money and then moving to an area like that. We've always wanted to be in areas where we were not really wanted to be wanting.
Speaker 5: Science behind it isn't complicated right, the same way that I'm placed in that position of exceptional.
Speaker 2: That's why we want to go party there. Right.
Speaker 5: If I can get in there, I'm doing like that for most of us. I heard somebody doing an interview with It was jay Z or some very very astronomically successful rapper, and they were asking them how they're able to still have a fan base when the content of their music has moved into such an exceptional space. And it's because they become our avatar. Right for three hours on Saturday, I can be ditty, I can get a table, I can get bottles. There's lights, there's sparklers, the music is crazy, there's girls around. I've been working at the post office for three years every day, but at International on Saturday, it's my birthday. I hit that shade in his DMS. He said, here, gonna look out for me. He's gonna give me to buy one, get one on the bottles. He gonna give me an extra bottle because it's my birthday. He my man, he's gonna put my picture on the hitdie for that night. The reason why we trying so hard to get this because they said we can't. They keep telling us we can't or we're gonna get in. We're gonna kick it. We have the audacity that we're gonna go where they very very flagrantly don't want us. Right, you talk about downtown when I when I had Hennessy, I had Downtown cracking. There shouldn't have been a soul in Scottsdale because downtown embraced me.
Speaker 2: I'm Stodamre, Bobby.
Speaker 5: Wade, everybody at PHX, everybody at Start of Myers. They made me feel like family. And not only did they embrace me, they made a lot of money selling my product. I know, I saw the numbers. We still we fought to get into these spaces that told us they didn't want us. But it's that feeling of it we like. We want to feel special, that feeling of exceptionalism and wanting to be in the space where, for lack of better everybody else can't go.
Speaker 2: That's true. We like the stunt. If Instagram would have been around back then.
Speaker 5: Oh, because I had the corporate card, I didn't even have to have no actual money.
Speaker 2: And I'm coming here. I got twenty five girls with me and we skipped a line.
Speaker 5: And then afterwards, I'm gonna sit and talk to specifically y'all, to outside of the street for two hours and just talk about how good of a time we had. That's literally how I became close with these guys because they treated me like family right when we met. And after a night of spending my company's money at these clubs that a lot didn't want us there, we just sat and we caught up, and we talked about life and love and really really positive things. But that somehow we have to look at that. It's just like with relationships. Man, I'm a DJ. I get to see girls fall on their face over guys who treat them like crap. That doesn't make any sense when you're looking at it, like why is she going so hard after a dude who's made it very very clear she has no value to him. It's the same thing, bro, these clubs treat us like crap. No, you can't get in. Your shirt and your shoes the same color, man, I'm sorry, what.
Speaker 2: We gonna go change clothes? You know how crazy that is? Your shirt and your shoes are the same color. Man, I'm sorry.
Speaker 5: You can't get no problem. I take off my hat, I change my clothes. Can I get in? I buy a table, can I get like, yes, we don't have enough time to have the large Yeah, he really needs to be had. But you know, brothers like y'all specifically, who have taken this industry and take like literally taking it and made it your own. You have to find a way to be able to turn that attention and those dollars that we generate into something for ourselves because we are, by our music, by our culture, and by our presence creating life changing generational wealth for people who rather not have us in their space.
Speaker 2: Hip hop. That's crazy. Hip hop will never like.
Speaker 4: Hip hop influences so much on just it just influences so much. And I know it's got to be frustrating to other genres to how we just dominate, just dominate, We control fashion. You know what I'm saying. Attitude, you know, uh TikTok. You know, I mean we we just I mean and I and I when I hip hop is is for you know, it's it's a black thing. But man, I tell you something, man that the hip hop community is everybody and we like we really just we own it.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 4: It was it was this is my moment. I was outside at the time. It was a p c L.
Speaker 2: I can't say. Now, I can't say her name. Ain't that Ain't that something? And because you know the name of it, but now I'm acting like I can't say the name right. And I've been.
Speaker 4: Yeah and there, yeah, yep.
Speaker 2: And they had a Marie Stodamar waiting outside and I mean he was he was regular like me, and it was in his heyday.
Speaker 4: This is this is this is Nash, this is Rojah Bell, this is this is Mary Stottamar, this is.
Speaker 2: Dan Tony System, this is heyday. Stuck outside with me? How you doing, bro? You're good?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm gonna go get this two dollars back of chips, bro, because when I get back, you're still gonna be outside with me.
Speaker 2: You want something? Man? You're good? No, you're good? All right?
Speaker 4: Had him waiting outside, man waiting outside man, same thing, same thing.
Speaker 1: Well, I think that if and just so you know, the voice you just heard is that of Bad Shade.
Speaker 3: That is Shade uncut aka uncut it.
Speaker 1: If you go back some years, and at least for me, I think that if we're going to have some sort of resolution moving forward, it starts with the understanding of the optics of these dynamics here understanding that.
Speaker 3: Some of these.
Speaker 1: Places absolutely would rather us not be there, and if they have to bite the bullet because they need our dollars and they're not really fans of you know, celebrating our culture with us, but rather you know, taking parts of the culture that they can make money from and leaving us the people on the curb quite literally, then I think that we really need to take a strong look and reevaluate our position and our priority as a people. I will say it, you know, to anybody listening. Support black businesses that goes not just for black folks, but that also goes for allies of black folks that understand that even though you might be able to get into these nightclubs, your friends, you know, may not be able to get into those clubs. And therefore you should make some very uh informed decisions in terms of how you spend your money. And with that said, we're probably going to have to wrap it up here. So for more information, uh you be sure to check out civiccipher dot com. You can go there and submit questions suggest topics. If you want to donate to the show, of course we do the show for you. Your donations are always appreciated. You can donate once again at civiccipher dot com. All our social media is at civic Cipher. You can follow q ward I am q War.
Speaker 2: You can follow that Shade at Shade, and you.
Speaker 1: Can follow me at Rams's Job. Until next week, you'll take care of yourselves.