Speaker 1: To on the move, going deep, speedless, peace, do hell. From the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex, This is Drivetime with Travis Wingfield.
Speaker 2: He's got my hands in the playoffs.
Speaker 1: What is up Dolphins? And welcome to the Drive Time Podcast. I am your host, Travis Wingfield. And on today's show, we got to watch the Miami Dolphins play football. Yeah it's May. Yeah it's in shorts. Yeah, the quarterback and a handful of other guys like Tyreek and Waddell and Ramsey and Tron and Big Zach Seeler and lots of other guys weren't out there. But it is football in the month of May, So what more can you ask for? We'll break all the training camp style podcasts down here for you guys. Talk about how Jody Fortson popped, how Jordan Brooks adds a demeanor to this team that it much, very much needed, How Patrick Paul looked fantastic, how Malik Washington was as advertised, how Ethan Bonner to me seems like yet another diamond in the rough at dB and so much more. From the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex. This is the Drive Time podcast. I think as time has gone on with these camp, training, camp or OTA podcasts, I've better developed my craft of telling you guys the story from the day. I felt like last year was the real jump for me, and coming back today, I kind of feel like we're on another level, almost like the Dolphins planning to be on another level, and you're number three of Mike McDaniel. Don't get me wrong. The heart of these episodes is to tell you exactly what happened out there on the grass. And I will put my own ability to observe and report on a live football practice up against anybody, especially anybody out here until Kyle gets here, that I have some competition, But I think the real skill is getting questions to those that know on those same topics so you can have some real weight to your words. Right, I'm not gonna pound my chest and tell you guys I'm the end all be all. I want to give my thoughts and then confirm from the PhDs we talked to every single day. Right, That sound good. I did tweet some notes after practice. You'll hear a lot of those with additional context. But the reason I put this disclaimer out there is that I noticed most of the comments or feedback I got on the Twitter thread was asking about players that I failed to mention. So while I feel my skills to evaluate a practice live without replay or tape are as good as anybody out here, or as good as they can be, the truth is you cannot see everything, and so if you don't hear a player reported on, I either didn't solely focus on them because you have to make choices when there's ninety players out there. It's easier in season than it is in training camp, or they just didn't make a play that jumped out to me. More likely the former, with a little bit of the latter's trinkled in. But you're not going to watch ninety guys in a ninety minute session. That's just how it goes. Now. With all that said, I will also say this, when one isn't out there, the quarterback, I kind of like how undistracted I am by that, And by that I mean I always have these intentions to be totally comprehensive. I think I am, but I like to see what QB one does because he kind of drives this whole damn bus, doesn't he? Without him? We ain't going nowhere, baby, So I tend to have my eyes wander a little bit back towards the quarterback and the offense and just see how they really control the practice under his command. So today, for really the first time, I mean there was, you know, the Jacoby Brissett end season practice days that I would choose to forget if I can. But going back to my first training camp here in twenty nineteen, that was when I thought some of my best work happened because I was focused on Monentrey Hartage, the undrafted rookie safety at Northwestern a post, trying to watch what Ryan Fitzpatrick did on every single drop back. And so I do have some stuff on the quarterbacks here today, but I spread the love a lot more than I think usual with the starter of being not out there so full transparency. And so that's where we usually start here on the podcast with how the quarterbacks performed into a tongua bai loa. But I'm going to start today's position, or today's podcast rather with the position widely considered the quarterback of the defense. And I'm talking, of course about linebackers and Jordan Brooks. Very proud of myself for beginning on defense, and as I am well aware, I have a bias towards the offensive side of the football. Fun fact about myself, I used to be a high draft pick and pick up football games back in the day. And the big part of that was, you know, plus athleticism for a skinny white kid, but also I would get picked highly because they wanted me on their team to design offensive plays, because that's kind of what I did so good times. I think everyone favors one side of the football, and I'm a big fan of offensive football. So the first thing I noticed was during individual drills. And I usually watch these a little bit closer and OTAs in the first couple camp before I get a little bit fatigue by training camp. But I'm watching individual drills and I'm watching Jordan Brooks, who was built like a house. Like, first of all, he's number twenty, which I kind of forgot about, which just kind of just kind of hit me like, like, who the hell, who's that safety? But no, it's Jordan Brooks, the middle linebacker, and the things that he hits feel the build of a house when they get hit by that house. He's compactly explosive. And also this isn't football, but he also is basically a replica of how I built my players' accessories and create a player mode and Madden like drip, I think is what they call it. Don't quote me on that, but how about his football? And they did this this drill, this play action running chase thrill where you had to get downhill and get to a certain spot and touch one of the trash cans that replicates the offensive lineman. There's a joke there, but we're not going to use it. And then would have to play the run, recognize the pass game, flip the hips, and get depth back into the hook zone where they'd roll this workout ball across the field and they had to locate it and go cut that thing off. Often he would cut it off so quickly and the change of direction jumped off the practice field so consistently that I was just like, who the hell is number twenty? Who is that guy? It's Jordan Brooks. It was nice too, because for a little while, I just I didn't know who that was, and I thought it's gonna be this is gonna be one of the rookies that I haven't had a chance to watch yet. But then of course turns out same guy that I've been raving about on tape the entire summers or this entire spring. So it's it's nice to get your priors confirmed, right, even if it's by yourself. I asked him about that drill after practice and how this offense and the direction of offenses in twenty twenty four forces linebackers to have that flexibility and to be able to get to that part of the field to be valuable. Here's Jordan Brooks on the importance of being able to defend the hook zone.
Speaker 3: And you know, they do a bunch of you know, play action. We got to play the boot routes, you know, the special routes and all that, and so that's why you're seems drilling isn't here.
Speaker 1: And to do that you have to play together as a linebacker corps. Right. So here's what Jordan Brooks said about coming out to these voluntary ota and why it was so important to him.
Speaker 3: For me, it's like I got to get to know the guys that I'm playing with, get to know the system, and let them get to know me, and so it was important that I'd be here. It was mandatory for me. So I'm glad I came. I'm enjoying it.
Speaker 1: You just get the sense that there is a room full of leaders here. And we'll hear from McDaniel on David Long in a bit. Let's go ahead and hear about building that chemistry together from Jordan, because I thought that chemistry showed up early, you know, on a one to one day a day one type of play where you have to defend this in the league, the slat the slant flat combo, where Brooks and Long are working together on this slant flat and Brooks is head up over the receiver. He re routes the receiver then falls into the flat and if you guys aren't familiar with that is slant flat essentially basically takes a wide receiver who slants inside to the formation inside of the defense, and then the flat route is just a route that runs basically parallel to the ladt scrimmage, either a yard or two behind it or yard and two in front of it. Slant flat, it's one of the first plays you install and you have to find out how to communicate it, to pass it off, to properly defend it. And so these guys did that with Jordan Brooks head up over the receiver, which I think was a tight end this case, because Brooks covered tight ends all day and was fantastic at it. And David Long falls into the flat coverage or no, rather Long picked up the slant and Brooks fell into the flat and they were just to beat off. They weren't quite together on that, and they got together after the play. They quickly discussed it. I couldn't hear the conversation from the stands, but you could see them discussing it. And it happened again later and they locked it down. I mean, that is football practice, one on one. You learn, you apply, you get better. I cannot wait to watch these guys chemistry grow. In fact, Jordan Brooks talked about how important it is to have the linebackers playing on a string together. Here's Brooks on the importance of chemistry with David Long and the rest of the linebacker corps.
Speaker 3: That's important. I mean, any linebacker that you played where you got to be on a string with each other, and this is the time to get that chemistry going between David and I and so that when the season comes we can't to.
Speaker 1: Gore and running some more linebacker notes from practice, he would on a delayed blitz and he sees this lane and runs down it, and it's it's what you've seen from the Seattle tape, I mean, And if it's not what I talked about on the upcoming Friday edition of Draft Time with the great Ted Win breaking down the Anthony Weaver defense here in Miami, it's the exact glove like fit with regards to running the a gaps, the gap between the guard and the center and basically utilizing pick stunts from a guy like a Zack Steeler for instance, to create runs at the quarterback, and he hits them so explosively. He was also, like I mentioned earlier, matching tight ends and seven on seven and they could not cover it didn't matter who it was. Even the impressive Jody Fortson couldn't get off of him. But where Fortson did have the opportunity was his height and the ability to elevate and get the football off the top shelf as it were. But what that throw requires is absolute precision with massive risk if you are not precise with it. So that's a play that I think you can live with if the Bills want to try to ripshots to Dalton king k down the scene with Brooks right underneath, and if Josh Allen, who can be can be a rid a bit risky there. If the ball's six inches off where it's supposed to be, it can get tipped. And that's how you get turnovers, kind of like in the wild Card game a couple of years ago, and we turned them over several times to keep us in the game when our offense couldn't do jack stuff. So that was my probably most impressive player of the day for the combination of how he played on the field and just kind of the demeanor he established their post practice. I want to go ahead and get to the offense here. Let's go ahead first though, and take a real quick break and come back and do that. We're going to tie this together the linebacker position. I promise you don't want to miss this next segment of the Draft Time Podcast OTA number one practice recap right here on the Draft Time Podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by Autnation. So let's go ahead and get to the offense here. And the big takeaway for me today was something I have been harping on all off season, and go figure. And I'm not going to sit here and point to one of my five thousand tweets about the team and cherry pick one or two of them approve how I'm the smartest man alive. You know, I tweeted it back in two thousand and four. The Dolphin they did to prepare for the bracket cover on Wild Tigeking twenty twenty four by adding more path catchers, I wold write once again, I'm not gonna do that. And the nice part about this is what do I always say? The most satisfying thing in this job that happens to me personally is when I try to convey something to y'all and then the coach or player goes on record, essentially confirming that you don't have to do it yourself. If you're good enough at at others will do it for you. Take note of that, right. I can think back to the combine, you know, talking to the draft experts about the wide receiver class and telling some of them like, I think it's a big need for the Dolphins. They were like, what are you talking about, dude. I'm like, you know, Reak and Waller great, but got to have more than two, baby, and talking about, you know, the same thing when Odell Beckham when he visited the Dolphins and talking about him when he signed here to the Dolphins, breaking all down for you guys after the fact, and having him on the podcast talking about it to you guys straight from his mouth, on top of John Smith, on top of Jayleen Wright and his ability to play all over the formation or expand what Devon a Chan can do as a route runner or drafting Malik and TODJ. Washington on day three. I want to go to this answer here from Coach when he was asked about the Odell Beckham addition, because didn't even practice on Tuesday, but it does give us a lot of confirmation on those thoughts about his ability to take advantage of the space that is created by Tyreek and Waddle. But he didn't stop there. He essentially explained the thinking of continuing to load up at the skill spots in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 4: You start a program with an offense, and you have certain skill sets, and in this particular circumstance with the Miami Dolphins, you know, we it wasn't like I had previously coached a pairing like we have it wide out and and kind of how defenses would would respond to that. You learn over time different different ways that defenses will really try to attack you and where they could be vulnerable. And I think, you know, having as many players in the past game participate and distribute the ball, you know, takes to another level of offense. And you know, I see him as part of that.
Speaker 1: And so there's that with the newcomers. And again, tomorrow's podcast was written and recorded on Monday, but damn it if this stuff does not bleed over into today, and I just think it's perfect, but wanted to be upfront in case there's a little bit of redundancy from today's show and tomorrow. But there was a question about the schedule this year, and Coach's answer sort of turned my attention right back to that, let's go ahead and play this audio. And he was asked about your schedule release takeaways. I don't think I've heard a coach ask that before, but I'm glad he was because it gave us this great SoundBite. The last couple of sentences here where was where I really wanted to focus.
Speaker 4: Well, if you're wanting to change the narrative, you're going to have an opportunity. I think I don't really worry too much about things that you know, it's pretending like I have any idea what's good or bad. I know, if you're if you're playing the right competitive football, you'll always have unique challenges to your to your schedule. If you're playing the right type of football, you'll have primetime games, which kind of you know, uh, you can have short or long weeks, all of those things, you know. I think we've found a way to develop our team, you know, both years, and I'm firmly expecting that same thing again this year. I think that the opportunities down the stretch of the season are are one ones that this team at that point in time will be thirsting for.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: That's that's that's something that you know. When when I saw the schedule, it was pretty excited.
Speaker 1: Just to make it clear, we've found a way to develop our team both years, and I firmly expect the same thing this year. The opportunities down the stretch are ones that I think this team will be thirsting for. I keep thinking about that because on the show tomorrow, I'm going to talk about year three trends from McDaniel's previous stops, the incumbent growth of certain players, and McDaniel really drove that point point home there at the end to me. And it's not just skills like further honing in on coaching points like running to daylight or getting upfield and not trying to go sideways against zone coverage on defense that you know provides tangible improvement on the field, but rather the mental fortitude required to compete in tough environments and in big games when the chips are against you, like I don't know, twenty five degrees below temperature, with your starting defense half of them being on the sideline and half of the offense getting back together for the first time for a practice in over a month one time before that game, in those conditions, and man, I just think that there's a certain mindset, a certain mentality that's gonna come with some of the additions. Like a guy like Jordan Brooks who just has and this is a seth levitism some ish to him, right, family friendly podcast. Otherwise that's a different ism there for you. But I noticed that when I met Jordan for the podcast here. I notice that when I say hi to m in the hallways around the building, I noticed that today and talking to him at his media availability and how he kind of reminds me a little bit of Jalen Ramsey in the sense that nothing is going to divert his mind, and not even a media availability or a what's up in the hallway from his singular focus, and that focus is the game of football, building camarader with his teammates and doing everything he can to make the Dolphins into a winner. I like to be very, very very careful with player comparisons, and I want to make it clear that I'm not comparing their games here, but it reminds me so much as you go back to Baltimore and try to find, you know, crossover and analogs.
Speaker 3: To win.
Speaker 1: Coach Weaver in Baltimore was able to inject or I guess, the entire defense. He was a D line coach. But when that defense was able to inject Roquan Smith into the defense, and it changed everything for them. A one point eighty from a defense that struggled earlier that year and got you know, four hundred and seventy yards post on them from a certain lest handed quarterback to players for the Miami Dolphins. And then he gets there and they suddenly can't get that no one can score on them. I just get the sense there's some of that here with Jordan Brooks, and it's it's not just him. Anthony Walker had himself a pick in pre where he peeled off into the hook zone, elevated and got his hands on a throw from Mike White, tips it straight into the air and pulls it down for the pick. And if you know anything about Anthony Walker, he too is all business. And then there's the incumbent, one of my favorite damn players in the whole league in David Long. And I've been saying this since even before we signed him as a player that I liked in the twenty twenty three free agency class. I feel pretty damn vindicated for that affinity, for what he did on the field last year. And then we come out and see that he was in the orange jersey for the first time or in the first practice on Monday, and then McDaniel was asked about that player and why he earned the orange on day number one.
Speaker 4: I thought this phase two he embodied kind of the way to go about your day to day operation to go, you know, kind of if you want something, go, go, get it. And you know, David felt after last season he had more to offer to the Miami Dolphins team, and instead of just talking about it, he lived that every single day. I think all this teammates feed off him. He's a leader for us, and you know, I was just happy that his playlist didn't suck.
Speaker 1: Like I said this in March, I'll say it again. On paper, this is the best linebacker linebacking corps the Dolphins have had in a long long time. And Brooks and Long to me are a perfect balance of speed, blitz, position, interchangeability, downhill skills with a change of directions to get vertical block defeaterers, and most of all, just perfect scheme fits for what we think Anthony Weaver wants to do. And then you've got Walker who brings the juice between the tackles, some quality hook zone presence that understands playing on that string with Brooks that he talked about earlier in the show. And that's all before you get to a couple of guys that have made plays on you know, on special teams, and Duke Riley and hopefully some channing tendall in there as well. This room has everything, and I'm fired up for I think it's a really impressive top to bottom group of guys that can provide depth, that can do different things, and most of all, really accentuate with it scheme does best and creates pressure from different looks and has multiple guys that can do multiple things. Back to the offense, I want to get to a sound bye from Eric Azukama, but first I want to go back to the idea of complexity and multiplacity on offense, because for so long this offense has driven through Tyreek Hill and Jaln Waddle, and then last year we saw more of the run game pick that up, and I think in year three it's going to be a combination of all those things with more playmakers out wide. And one of those playmakers out wide to me, is going to be Devon ah Chien, who caught several balls in this practice from several different positions on several different routes. He got deep in the Turkey hole for a shot from Mike White for a long play off the sideline like a vertical shot, and then he caught a Texas route where he left Duke Riley in the dust and makes basically juked him out before the ball even got there. He also ran a little out route from a flexed out position that was impressive. I just think that he looks like he could be like kind of another answer at the receiver spot in addition to what he does at running back. And of course with Raheem and Jalen right here, you have the flexibility to make that happen. So I am very impressed with that entire concept of spreading the football around, like we heard they're from coach from maximizing the space that is created from the top two receivers you have, who are two of the best in the entire NFL, and just the opportunity you have to go out and get more playmakers and make your offense even more explosive and make the defense have to defend more. Because that's what McDaniel talked about in that sound clip that SoundBite, right, Probably my favorite thing that he said was, you know, we have never known, because we haven't had it before, how to attack what the defense leaves vulnerable when you have playmakers like Tyreek and Waddle, and now we are realizing that, oh, there are opportunities for you know, different ways to either lift that coverage off those guys or if they want to keep it that way, just go ahead and pound it over and over again and continue to beat you with devon a chant with Maleague Washington, with Beckham Junior, with Eric Azukama, who I got one SoundBite from on practice on Tuesday, who I thought really showed some of the flashes we've seen from him the last couple of years, including a really fun run after the catch. I thought there was, you know, some issues and the timing and the pacing of the routes, Like there was this one catch where he kind of got choppy into the zone. It looked a little more difficult than it had to be, and it certainly looked more difficult that Malik Washington made it look more on that in just a second. But he caught the ball, and we're trying to find game applicable stuff here. So good rep, bad rep. I don't know, but I just think that there's some kind of positive and negative there to take with that. Let's go ahead and hear from Azukama on the importance of understanding pacing within your routes, because if this is the kind of stuff that he can get down, he's got all the physical ability in the world and I'm pretty fire up to see what he can do with the opportunity. Here's Eric Azukama.
Speaker 5: It's all pace all it's all timing, so you know, it's consistent reps every day and knowing you know where the quarterback is going to put the ball depending on the defense and how you need to run the route based on the coverage and out the leverage of the TV.
Speaker 1: Speaking of Malik Washington, this guy is my guy man. There is a rep where he found a soft spot, accelerates himself into the zone, then throttles it down to really maximize the space there because two wasn't out there, so the quarterbacks weren't putting the ball where he needs to be on time like he typically does. He makes this tough catch off of his frame. It was the same rep I saw it for Genya all last season. He checks in a few plays later and runs an out and the ball is too high, but the full extension to leap up above his head, pull it down, make the catch, get the feed in. Really impressive work there from Lake Washington. He looks in one practice as advertised, I think River Craycraft had the route of the day where he sold a vertical then came back to the football and Mike White right on time, right on target. Pretty connection there between those two. I think you can pretty much set your watch to River Craycraft Go Kougs. The pass catcher who might have caught my eye the most the entire day was Jody Fordson Fortein caught this pass running across the field where he outruns Nick Need him on an over route, which you know, about the fastest corner of the world ld of states in the world. But he's not slow either, and the ball is not too far in front of him, but it's a little bit out there, so he has to go, go gadget, arm it and pluck it. And he does that and just the size jumps off the field and when you're next to him too, down in the caffeterier, he's a big man. It's impressive. Then they take a shot on a broken play and he just goes up and elevates for this football and it kind of reminded me of when like your brother who was three years older than you, was playing with you and your friends in the backyard and just like goes ahead and sides to moss you because he can. It's like this fifty to fifty ball is really a ninety ten ball. I think he offers something on the roster that nobody else really does. And the only real issue he had in Kansas City was the injury bugs. So let's if he can stay healthy. I think there's a really, really big time contributor here in Jody Fortson. Let's go ahead and take our last break right there, come back on the other side and get back to the storytelling and go by the safety's room. And the first thing I noticed when I came out to practice was Javon Holland and Jordan Poy are working together individuals. That's next Draft Time podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by Auto Nation. Final segment for first day of OTA's on the field, and I want to go ahead and stop by the safety's room here and just here. First off, Javon Holland talking about how excited he is to play with Jordan Poyer and just how much can rub off on the youngster from the experience fed.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's great, it's great. He's you know, he's a hell of a knowledge and he's you know, he's got he's a helld football mind.
Speaker 5: It's got a bunch of stuff I'm trying to learn from cool dude great at golf.
Speaker 1: So we got a chance to watch these guys drilling some stuff pre practice and the individuals and just watching them kind of operate from different types of looks and you know, with one guy being the robber on a crossing route with the other guy willing out and deep into coverage, and watching them work with coach Slowik and just knowing these guys background and understanding of the game, I just know it's going to be a well oiled machine back there. And maybe you don't want to mess with the chemistry being built there because I think a lot of folks would say that safety is still a big need for this team, and I agree you need to get some more depth there. But maybe that's something you would have addressed earlier if you planned on it, because just watching these guys practice together, I think the more time they played again, the better it's going to be on that back end. And we saw it play out during a team period and every snap there was communication, you know, and to be a fly on that helmet there as it were. But we don't get that type of you know, that coverage, but they typically had the deep stuff like bracketed off or matching with the corner to find the vertical stuff and take care of it. It's may, but I love what we have here, and that consistency would only serve to let you be even more aggressive with your fronts and simulated pressure looks that you want to operate with. Javon also was a pretty candidate and how he felt about Vic Fangio, which I've communicated I feel the same way here several times. So good stuff there from those guys, and it's cool to hear that they're all excited about playing For Anthony Weaver, we have one more player to hear from hearing. He's another guy that I was so happy to see pop in this practice. I kept fixing my eyes in his direction because he kept making plays. And it's cornerback Ethan Bonner, and it started with how he covered a short completion where he basically flipped his technique multiple times throughout the play and just showed you a really heady approach to the game that allows him to re route to fall off to go play the flat. I just think that he's the type of player who can really understand what is being presented to him offensively, how his defense is designed to defend that, and how he can take chances or move around the formation and make those plays. And then he has the physical ability that he has. I think this dude can play, and I think he's going to be an uncovered gem here from this coaching staff and the scouting staff. Once again, I asked him about the ability to play with different looks and changing techniques and a given play within the play. Here is Ethan Bonner of talking about his approach to practice.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to kind of experiment a little bit myself out there, try new things. To be honest, that was kind of just something I had done. I mean, we're trying to do a good job of disguising, but you know, I'm trying to just play with that, maybe put my own little flavor on it.
Speaker 1: And the reason I wanted to show that to you guys was the SoundBite was to just basically illustrate the mentality of a player like an Ethan Bonner and how it allows him to excel. When you know how to practice, you know how to get better. And I get the sense that McDaniel really values that because of I guess how abstract he can be when thinking about the game of football, and wouldn't you know what earlier in the day, McDaniel talked about this in his morning press conference.
Speaker 4: Well, you want to see you know, it's like parts of whole any orchestration of team defense, team offense, teams, special teams is you're trying to introduce and apply consistent techniques so that players can can know where their help is, know what to depend on, know how they communicate, and so everyone's on the same page. Because the bottom line is that a lot of times it doesn't matter what you're playing as long as everyone's playing with conviction and complimentary technique. So I'm trying to see consistency and ownership of technique when we're trying different things from from bump and from off at the corner position. I want to see the different tools that we give the players committed to and orchestrated and how does that relate to the safety, How does that relate to the to the nickel or the backer. Those things are very important when you're trying to play consistent, convicted defense. So I'm trying to see that uniformity of technique and implementation. So we have consistency in all three phases and specifically with what you're asking about in the corner position.
Speaker 1: I want to play two more sound bites here from Ethan Bonner. He was asked about the defense first off the top. That's the first sound bite and the second one I asked him about how do you use how do you balance the use of game tape from last year in a different defense versus watching yourself in camp at practice this year on new defense. Two sound bites back to back from Ethan Bonner.
Speaker 2: Mixon to matchine a lot more. I'm still playing a lot of too high. That's some one high cover threason there too. But you know, I think we're gona be a little more aggresive this year too. As far as pressure and pressure on the quarterback. Yeah, I mean techniques will still cross, so were in quarters, his quarters anywhere. So there's still some pieces I can look at and that would you know, fit in those techniques that would use in the system too. But it's just knowing, you know what film from last year would translate into the defense this year.
Speaker 1: But yeah, some final extra notes here from practice. I thought Quentin Bell was impressive in individuals as he got lots of words of affirmation for the way he attacks the blocking bags, the deconstruction Jeez, I can't talk right now. The block deconstruction bags over at the side of the field. In practice, he popped the bags louder than anybody else and just looked strong as hell to me. I put that Jack Driscoll. Jack Driscoll had some great reach blocks and seals and finishes and was putting guys in the ground moving them off the football. Granted lots of backups he was going up against, but the get off and power combination showed up for Jack Driscoll time and time again. I thought Grayson and Murphy had one of the most impressive pass rush wins. He and Shaq Barrett both got blindside sacks on Mike White and Skottar Thompson. Accordingly, Murphy's was on key On Smith and Barrett's was on Ryan Hayes. But just impressive get off in power there from both those guys in a nice cross chop move. Liam and Lester, I'd just say more of the same from last year in terms of the film reviews. And then I had Channing Tendall getting downhill in a disjointed toss play and it took him into develop and he was there to run that thing down and cut down for a loss. And then I also mentioned earlier that we had eight chan making some linebackers look silly and coverage, including Duke Riley on one particular play. But where I kind of came away the most impressed from was Patrick Paul because everything seemed really hardwired together for him, which wasn't always the case at Houston.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 1: The college tape was bad, and Chris and Mike basically admitted as much. But it's funny that they told us about his desire to get better and just one practice from what we saw in tap Houston to today, he looks to me like a different player, like completely different player. And if he's going to show that kind of progress with the sheer physical ability, I mean, let's not get too hyperbolic here and call it the steal of the draft. But if he becomes a great player and he's your left tackle in the second round the fifty fifth pick, pretty good, right, great start for him. Three more notes, let's see two more notes. One more note. I lied Jalen Wright was my final note here, and I thought he just had one run that popped to me again. This all takes in the training camp practice for running back to me one run where you pop and look great, and he had one of those where he got press front side overflow from the defense, bend it back to the backside. That jump cut shows up once again. He looked impressive out there on that particular run. So there you go. We'll do it again next Tuesday tomorrow. On the podcast, I'm very excited for a research project I did taking a look at year three improvements within n A Mike McDaniel, Kyle Shanahan offense talking about Jalen Waddle's yak ability, tua's decision making and athletic ability, and finally the coverage of Ramsey and Fuller and what that can do to the defense. You don't want to miss that podcast tomorrow Wednesday. I believe at five o'clock it'll drop, So keep it locked on that and let's go ahead and get you out of here. You all please be sure to subscribe to the podcast on Apple, Spotify, wherever get your podcast from. Go ahead and leave us a rating, leave us a review. You can follow me on social at week of NFL the team at Miami Dolphins check out the Fish Tank podcast with Seth and Jews. Check out the YouTube channel for media availabilities, Dolphins Today, Drag Time content, and so much more, and last but not least, Miami Dolphins dot Com. Until next time, bins Up, Carolin, Cameron, Daddy, Come and Home,