Speaker 1: Of the law and order franchises. SVU is considered especially watchable. We are the amateur detectives who kind of investigate the vicious felonies. These episodes are based on.
Speaker 2: These are our stories.
Speaker 3: Done done, Hello, and welcome to That's Messed Up an SVU podcast.
Speaker 2: I'm Kara Klank, one of your hosts, and.
Speaker 1: I'm Li'sa Traeger the other one, and we're coming to you talk at SVU True Crime celeb Guests.
Speaker 2: We really do it all so thrill a thrill, a threat.
Speaker 4: And we literally just record episodes last week or something. And the minute I got off the I got onto my phone it was like, Mauritia Cargeta is hosting the Emmys. I was like, I cannot believe we didn't talk about this.
Speaker 2: Like truly the year of murschgaud.
Speaker 4: I mean, you have been manifesting, specifically her hosting SNL and I've obviously been along for the ride.
Speaker 1: It's happened. I feel like it's happening. Yeah, I think it's happening. I think this is what all of this is about, to be honest, Like, it's weird to say that Broadway and hosting the eis is just a stepping stone to hosting guests at hell.
Speaker 2: But I do believe that it is.
Speaker 4: The when she's literally been one of the heavy hitters of the network that SNL is on for twenty seven years, it's like insane that she hasn't hosted it.
Speaker 1: I wonder if is like competitive, Yeah, like, oh, you think you're the star of the network, right, Like, I wonder if he's just being a weirdo, Like we forget everyone. It's just a weirdo in this business. I do forget that.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 4: Everyone is an absolute stone cold weirdo at all times.
Speaker 1: Wait, okay, so I've had this on my to do list for weeks and I keep forgetting to bring it up, and then it showed up in my feet again and I sent it to Casey. So you know the show What We Do in the Shadows. Yeah, okay, So there's like the emotional vampire, like he sucks the energy out of people.
Speaker 2: Call it round.
Speaker 1: Yes, So I haven't like double checked this, but there's like there's a scene in the show where he's like describing the events of how this all started or whatnot, And it totally coincides with Kevin Spacey's journal entries from seven talking about a boring loser he met on the train that led him to murder. It's like this incredible crossover. Some podcast was talking about it and they have it's all lined up where it's like Colin is talking about this guy he met on the train and it coincides perfectly with the Seven Murderers, like journal of like I met this fucking guy on the train and he wouldn't stop, and this and that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's like there's a whole reddit. Yeah, I've an easter egg in what we're doing. Yeah, that's amazing because I love seven, like I'm a seven head.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what, I've realized.
Speaker 1: I'm so Gone Girls new on Netflix, and I think I've watched it since it came out last week, like eight or nine times. I've been going to sleep to Gone Girl, except there's one part where there's an alarm, so I have to like it fucks me up, but like it's just been in the background.
Speaker 2: I didn't realize I love Gong Girl.
Speaker 1: I think I'm a David Fincher fanatic, even though he makes everyone do eighty takes the time, but I really think I am No.
Speaker 4: He's great, one of the best. He really, I just don't like Panic Room. But I'm besides that, you know, I really like a lot of his other movie.
Speaker 1: I like Panic Room too. Yeah, I think I'm like a fan. I didn't like Zodiac. I guess that's I like Zodiac. I've watched that on the plane sometimes just to chill. I already know because I've only watched it once and it was on a plate. It was just like, it's just so of the time where I'm like, we like throw it a black person or in Asia like a woman, Like it is crazy to have forty five white men in a movie, Like it really is wild. Because right now with The Odyssey, people are like, wow, why are there no green? And I'm like, I don't know, just a movie with all white people looks weird.
Speaker 2: It just looks weird. Get over it.
Speaker 4: Not only that, but I get very confused when I watch shows that are shows or movies that are like too white heavy. I cannot tell everybody apart like I'm really like, which man is that? Like Game of Thrones was really tough for me at the beginning, Like I would be like, Jared, isn't that that man? He'd be like no, I'd be like it's another man around six sixty eight years old with a beard.
Speaker 2: How did you like? What?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: It was just very.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just like yeah, visually it's just like it's hard to look at. But I would do it. Not the murders, of course, the murderers. I was fined with easy Breezy. But I do love an Easter egg, and I thought that one was so good. So shout out to the guys.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and if you guys you can, you can definitely just search Colin Robinson seven journal entries and you get a lot of information on the internet about this.
Speaker 2: Did Colin Robinson cause seven? Or I love it? I love it so much.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 1: I started a new book for all my book heads. I'm almost done with it. That's why I'm bringing it up. So my next I'll probably finish it today. But it's called I Who Have Never Known Men? Oh, I've heard of that book. Who's their author? So her name is Jacqueline Hartman. She was born in Belgium in nineteen twenty nine and then escaped for the World War Two.
Speaker 2: For the World War two, and.
Speaker 1: It was translated by someone named Roz Schwartz in nineteen ninety five. For this edition, and it was you know, I went to Barnes and Noble to look at well, I went to the Strandford whatever.
Speaker 2: Our friend has a book.
Speaker 1: I'm a lot and I wanted even though I have the Amazon copy, the copy from the party, the pre copy, I did go buy another copy at the store because.
Speaker 2: It was cool to see it. At the store.
Speaker 1: I was on a table. It was so exciting. So of course I picked up Sir c the Song of Achilles author. I picked up you know, I just picked up some some fun, but I bought this was on like the hip table.
Speaker 2: Like the people that work with the strand picked it.
Speaker 1: And then the barist says at my coffee shop, both of them were like, we love that book.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I have never known men. I love it.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm probably gonna finish it. It took me less than a week, so I yeah, I love it.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 4: Damn, you're like blowing through books. This is crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I really like this one. We'll see what I start next. Obviously I'm still reading Michelle McNamara's book. But also, I mean, it was a person with just numbers in their thing, and it's not real, and I doubt it's a true listener. But it's just like they're like, if you don't care about the environment, I can no longer be a fan about you. You don't care about polar bears in the future of our children, And it's like grow up, Like people are so dense, like I truly if I don't have chill, try but I don't have chill and I don't drive a car, so fuck you. I do more for the environment than most people on this planet, thank you very much.
Speaker 4: But you are referring to you saying that you don't care that Taylor flies private, and I don't think one person flying private is destroying the environment. And I do think that the inconvenience and like mayhem that would happen if she walked up to a delta flight is just like not feasible. It's so I'm not saying like, I don't think either of us is saying fuck the environment.
Speaker 2: I think we're saying, oh no.
Speaker 1: I mean I saw a video online where it's like you could tell how smart or stupid someone is by like talking about averages or like nu wats, where it's like, well the average is this, and then someone goes, well, I have this story and it's like, well, then you're not the average.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like then that's anecdotal.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, but that's what it felt like where it's like, no, her flying private did not upset me. But I've gotten some dms that it's a different guy. It's not the guy I don't have to sell my cardigans. But we'll see. I haven't listened to her since it's been upsetting.
Speaker 4: I've heard some people say that they're trying to say it's not like that guy doesn't work there anymore, but he does or whatever. I'm kind of trying to be out of the day.
Speaker 1: I forget because I also just did a really popular podcast that talks about it, and I'm like, oh, I'm about to get fucking demolished. I'm gonna get demolished by these swifties.
Speaker 2: But what are you gonna do?
Speaker 4: Well? Some of the some of the comments that we're getting, at least on the Spotify are behind you on uh oh.
Speaker 1: I'm sure a lot of people are really throw I actually haven't told Sydney yet.
Speaker 2: She's going to be really happy. What a gift. Let's give sit a gift. But I am still going to a soul cycle this Saturday. I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: I had one class left and I could go today because I'm sick. Okay, guys, I'm trying my mess. She's showing up for you. She's here, she's sick.
Speaker 4: She's having meds flown in from Bali on a private jet that only takes extremely Yeah, the kid.
Speaker 1: It's just like this message just really kind of cracked me up, where I'm like, is this who's listening to?
Speaker 2: Yeah podcast? Like it can't be Yeah, I saw it too. Oh you got it too.
Speaker 1: To slow sent to the main future generations? Are you really that cold and shallow and selfish? It's like, sure, but not that has nothing to do with this. So short sighted. It's like you're out of your mind if that's what you took from this. Just also, yeah, we don't hate the environment. We have been not environment haters. This is episode what are We?
Speaker 4: What do We?
Speaker 2: What's today?
Speaker 4: Episode two hundred and ninety four, Like, come on, yeah, there's a nice sample size of what we feel about the earth.
Speaker 2: I recycle religiously.
Speaker 4: I'm actually my parents saying with my parents right now, and it's kind of hard to watch how little they recycle, But I'm doing my best.
Speaker 1: You know, well, I just don't have anything in the home to recycle or not recycle, like I don't.
Speaker 2: I'm not what am I bringing in here.
Speaker 1: Like poppy cans and stuff like that, or you're cycling or no. Yeah, but we have a guy downstairs who does it. I bring it downstairs. You do with the stuff.
Speaker 4: Honestly, the people that live in cities like New York like that are mostly walking cities have like some of the smallest carbon footprints. So it's like, not personally about you. I think that people want you to denounce her jet flying.
Speaker 2: And that'll never happen.
Speaker 1: Because there's I would say, hundreds, if not thousands of men that do it more than her, and I refuse. Oh okay, there is some heated rivalry news well, and I wouldn't even want to bring this up, and I was avoiding it, but then his.
Speaker 2: Outfit was so fucking cute. I had to watch the video and I.
Speaker 1: Like, Okay, So Hudson Williams is in Paris and he is so nice to fans and he has a new hot bodyguard. The bodyguard post said, like so happy to be working with Hudson. But anyways, so he was being how you know, and his team is all girls, and like his girlfriend was there as friends, and it was just like a big group of girls in him and he like flipped out on these guys who are autograph hounds, and he just was like, stop fucking following me. You guys are crazy, leave me alone. You're not fans, like you cannot be following me to my residence. And then he grabbed the photos of him and tried lighting it with a lighter, and so then his girlfriend's like, come on, let's go. So then they start walking and they're like walking to their residence and the guys still follow them. So the guys are going sorry, sorry, sorry, but then following them, and so he starts and then his girlfriend like hands back the photos to this guy and goes, can you just please go away? Like go away, and Hudson comes back and goes get the fuck out of here, like stop following me, and the guy goes stop using bad words. That's not okay, which is one of my pet peeves. I hate one people. Oh my god, I hate that so much. And also Hudson does no mma and it's like I do wish he beat the shit out of these people. But they finally leave, they're like laughing at him, and it's just like everyone's on Hudson's side where it's like fuck you, you autograph hounds. You would never do that to like a fan. He's like so nice to everybody. But then I wouldn't have even brought it up on the pod because I don't want to bring attention to it.
Speaker 2: But then I saw a great point.
Speaker 1: I'm wearing my Shane Hollander sweatshirt, okay in solidarity. I'm like it's eighty degrees. I'm so hot. But it was just like how we're so behind him but so mad at Chapel Roone and like Chapel needs to be nice and shut up Chapel, you should be lucky that you're famous.
Speaker 2: We made you famous. And it is like, but I.
Speaker 1: Said this even at the Oscars, like the boys are having so much fun or the mad e fan and it's like they don't let they don't let like women would even be able to have fund the way these guys are having like fun or be mad, like women cannot do anything right. But it did bring up like, yeah, like how are we so like yeah, Hudson, get him, but everyone's like Chapel Roone, You're not grateful enough. You're new to fame, so stop Just something that I you know, saw just on the internet scrolling that I you know, I'm bringing up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just like we really have to just stop policing the way women behave publicly and at all, Like that goes for Olivia Rodrigue's baby doll dress, that goes for Chapel Roone not wanting to be bothered during breakfast.
Speaker 1: Just enough, And that story was fake, that soccer player fake have that woman and then soccer player to be like that never happened, you know what I mean, Like, yeah, they fully lied, but there's just video of her being like, please leave me alone, stop following me, and everyone's like, oh, you want to be famous or not. Boy George got involved. It was like that boy George, Boy George. Yeah, boy George got involved and was like you're a little brat. You should enjoy the fame while you have it. And it's just like okay, but we're like Hudson burn that paper. It's just like I don't know, yeah, boy George, I don't know. But also they're saying that Holland, the player from Norway, is the closest we'll ever get to an Ilia Rosenoff vibe like they have just wait, who oh that guy? Yeah, Like he just says the same kind of eder. I mean, I think he's a little more helpful than the fake character Ilio.
Speaker 4: Well, but doesn'tbody also seem like kind of a goof whereas like Rosanov's always like, ugh, you know, maybe you should watch it one more time, because I don't think you would say that, Kara.
Speaker 2: He's like very funny.
Speaker 4: He's very funny behind the scenes, but like not when he's like playing right.
Speaker 1: When he's like when he's winking, going liar liar told you that, Like what are you talking?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's like silly as well.
Speaker 4: But I just feel like I see this Norway guy mugging with like his chin out and like making like crazy goofy faces, and like, I don't I don't remember that I think from my one time viewing of Heated Rivalry, but I could stand corrected, as I've only watched it one time.
Speaker 1: It all came through because he's It's Holland getting off a plane and he's holding a taxi dermid raccoon holding a bottle of liquor that was a souvenir and it's just like the flash sheet is the Birkins being nice to his girlfriend like there is just hard work.
Speaker 2: And like silliness, but Ilia.
Speaker 1: Is silly, like they play hard but they are it's really silly and like enjoying the call like we're like I think Ilia would get cowboy.
Speaker 2: Boots and be excited to have brisket, you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: No the house have they got to enjoy some food after they all eventually lose.
Speaker 1: I know everything every day I have cheered for has lost every team, So I need to start cheering for Argentina.
Speaker 4: Well today's Spain France, right, yeah I don't.
Speaker 1: I want Spain for the little Brother, but I want France from Bape. But I because someone was like you could like how evil could Argentina be that we're all cheering for England you know what I mean, like we want England to win?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 4: Oh really I was kind of going for Argentina when they were playing a game.
Speaker 2: No are they bad?
Speaker 1: Well just like the Nazi of it all and kicking black people out and like all other Latino countries hate them, so like I'm with them, but also like it's just rigged, like the calls like they're just letting. They're just want Argentina in the end, and it's like I feel like I'm I'm going for Spain overall because a little brother underdog, but also France has won like three times. Right, Oh, I have no idea, I just like a bop it. No, I want Spain because the little brother and the McDonald's cup I have is the eighteen year old player from Spain. So whatever McDonald's cup I got, that's who I'm cheering for.
Speaker 2: That's it, that's it. Love it.
Speaker 1: No, I don't know, but I watched with my dad this weekend and every team I root for loses, so I have so that's why I'm thinking I root for Argentina and that'll bring them their devise.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's do it.
Speaker 4: My brother like was just like kind of going for Argentina because he likes messy of course, like it's his last one.
Speaker 1: But England, their main player is a hardcore trumberd not even but he can't even vote here, so I don't know.
Speaker 2: Andie Caine just has like a smug face. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I hated England, but I guess my one of my closest friends lives there and they've been sending me. Her boyfriend's been sending me taunting messages. Yes, because I keep cheering for every team that plays England and then they keep on fucking losing.
Speaker 2: It's like devastating. Oh my gosh. Uh oh all.
Speaker 1: Right, So my niece, my nephew and his girlfriend introduced.
Speaker 2: They're like so funny.
Speaker 1: I took them to Target and like I always I never know who buys the weird flavors of stuff, and then I beat it's them. They're buying the cinnamon bud flavored oreos, They're buying the oreos mixed with Recei's protein bars, Like they are buying the craziest flavors of things, where I'm like, you are supporting food scientists in a way I've never seen.
Speaker 2: I'm like, truly, these are the craziest flavors.
Speaker 1: But they showed me a candy brand called joy Ride, okay, and it's like seventy percent less sugar than normal candy, but like eight to twelve grams of fiber per serving. WHOA, So I you know, I'm trying to up my fiber because that's the thing I want to be ahead of the trend because I can't count protein.
Speaker 2: You need too much of it. I don't want to, but I can't do fiber.
Speaker 1: And this candy it's like so good joy Ride, and I wonder, like, I don't like that because that mean like you're gonna like your bowels will be you know, like flowing through Like I don't get it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but yeah, on top of the on top of whatever parasites all over the produce right now. But that's for another time.
Speaker 1: I bought a thing of raspberries for the fiber that I found out about, you know the thing. But yeah, these joy Ride candies have so much fiber in them, and I've.
Speaker 4: They do sour worms. They've got a lot of gummies.
Speaker 1: So I wonder if any of you are eating them, let me know. But I'm pretty involved. I'm involved.
Speaker 4: I'm on the website. They're at Sprouts, they're at ARII, they're all over nice.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, that's that's so okay.
Speaker 1: And then there's a clip of a podcast I saw but it's not what I listened to, but the clips come up for me and their listeners did a thing where it's like, what are the five things are worth the buddy? Yes, so what have them said her base said, Peer said hair brush like you know the Patreon maybe, or like what is worth the buddy spending?
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I've been seeing those, and I've been also seeing what are like five awesome dupes like that you can get just as easily for like half as much and it's just as good.
Speaker 2: Fake bag. I love it. Yeah, look at it. Look at it.
Speaker 4: I mean like I'm wearying right now, like Lululemon legging dupes from some random company that I found on that and.
Speaker 1: I love them.
Speaker 2: Like would you look at me and be like, well what what?
Speaker 4: A set out on her way to course, she has a case get out of the way.
Speaker 1: I was really rooting the mood. My nephew's like, you need to stop. He's like, how do you have friends? I like, keep bringing up murder? Well, she said something and I go, well, the elderly are the most vulnerable to murder, and he goes, can you not say that in front of baba. It's like oh yeah, And then he said something about like you know, girls can be so mean and mean girls We're like talking about camp and I go, oh, our girls mean? Or men raping and murdering women and He's like, Okay, I'm sorry. I was just talking about the cabins, but yeah, I was wondering what is worth the.
Speaker 2: Money, Like I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think going out to eat, like restaurants with friends, like that's where that's worth it to be.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's that's I would say one of the main things I spend my money on. Oh wait, speaking of money, why, I guess Iced Tea just announced, Yeah, he's gonna be on the whole season next year, and like Rollins will be back too, So I guess they found the money.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, dude.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I was sitting with a bunch of comedians at the cellar and we're for some reason, the Jelly roll that musician came up and we were like braid storming, like what you could sext to him or something like just like people were just shatting and they're like what other people have like dessert names or something like that, and someone said iced Tea and I whipped my head so fast. I got so aggressive and wet. That is a married man. And everyone's like, we're all just kidding here, but I ah, like I it was just instinctual, like I flipped out, and then I was like, oh my bad.
Speaker 2: Guys.
Speaker 1: Sorry, but I just like really believe in their marriage, and I don't think you would step out.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 4: I got a cue clip of them today that was like, really somebody sent to us that was like what it was like, it's a girl stitching it and at the beginning.
Speaker 2: It's like, what's your type?
Speaker 4: And then it's it's iced Tea telling Coco you're insane, but you're like a good insane, like you're not criminally insane. That's why I love you, because like you are just insane in like a goofy way.
Speaker 1: Like her face is like, okay, wait, but what else is worth somebody? I don't oh professional fray big, I think that's worth somebody. I think having someone clean your house is worth the money. Yes, personally, that goes number one cleaner.
Speaker 4: Like I just like, you know, I like to keep a clean home, but I do not like to do a scrub or like a deep clean, and I need.
Speaker 2: Someone professional for that. I like to I talk about that a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think professional cleaning is good. Even though my girl, you know, she drives you crazy. Her choices are so confusing. I'm like why would you up my gummy vitamins in the bathroom, like I eat the in the Like She'll just do the craziest things I've ever seen.
Speaker 4: I'm always just like put everything back where it was, Like I mean, well she eating it, but like leave it essentially where it was.
Speaker 2: She doesn't have that option in my.
Speaker 4: Home, oh, because everything's everywhere.
Speaker 1: Or yeah, yeah, she has a tougher job, but she still drives you crazy.
Speaker 4: Maybe she thinks you get up, you'll like you brush, you take a gummy vitamin. I don't know my vitamins are. Yeah, they're on my bedside table. Actually, wait, what else is worth it? Because I know I spent my body not to.
Speaker 1: Stop, but I feel like I spend on lots of little things, Like I don't really like spend hard.
Speaker 2: You don't do major big purchases.
Speaker 4: I think a lot of people would say, like spending more on like skincare, you know what I mean, like some like some super expensive like lotion or whatever, is like worth it for like longevity and age and blah blah blah.
Speaker 2: I would say a blowout.
Speaker 1: I would say house cleaner blowout, Yeah, Cause I don't think first class is always worth it. But I think it's worth it to be loyal to an airline and spend a little bit more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm certain auditions.
Speaker 1: For the overall perks and upgrades, but like I don't think I don't know if it's always worth spending over one thousand, two thousand dollars out of first class.
Speaker 2: See yeah, no, I would never.
Speaker 4: Yeah that's not for me. And also I you know, I blow my hair out myself, so blowouts aren't even wouldn't be on my list. But I do think that they're great.
Speaker 1: The only thing we agree on is house cleaner and that I'm really going out to.
Speaker 4: Eat and going out to eat. And I would say, I would say I'm getting to a point where like hotels like I can't I really can't stay like I've just now on this trip, stayed it like a one or two because it was like the only thing available, like really not good hotels, and it just makes my allergies go crazy, Like I'm uncomfortable, I can't sleep. It's just not worth it for me. It's like worth it to me to spend a little bit more money. And I'm not talking about like a five star, but like something that's like you know, more established.
Speaker 2: I agree, and I would say my tiffity is jewelry.
Speaker 4: I love it is worth the money brings you to it, sparks joy you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let us know what's worth it to you, guys. Yeah, let us know what you what's worth the money.
Speaker 4: And also if you're if you're in the mood, let us know something you've bought, like for half price of what the original of, what the major name is, because I love, I love a deal. Wait before we stop, you saw this as r B and the arts always support the arts, Yes, it's always worth Someone was like it was, oh, did you spend money to go to that museum? But I go that I've never regretted a dollar I've spent in the museum ever ever.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah yeah, or a play or some of the arts.
Speaker 1: So cleaning the arts, blowouts, restaurants, restaurants, hotels, hotels, that's my five.
Speaker 4: Okay, Wait, did you see that Gena Davis is going to play the serial killer Dorothea Puente in an HBO series that you covered a few weeks ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, Oh.
Speaker 4: Because then, because I'm so excited about Geena Davis's like recurrent, like coming back, I brought her up at the family because they're like, ugh, you know, everyone kills the elderly.
Speaker 1: I go, well, some elderly women are ahead of the game, and I brought her up. My nephew's like, shut the fuck up. I know, I know, it's it's upsetting. Go Geena Davis. I haven't seen her in a while.
Speaker 4: Well, she was in that movie Blink Twice that I liked. That was wild the Cravits directed with Channing Tatum, and she had a part in that, and I was kind of like, where's Gena Davis been? Like, I just didn't know. I kind of heard she was like doing archery. But I've like always loved pretty much everything Geina Davis has done, so I'm really excited that she's kind of bash it's a hero, yeah, and she's gonna be a serial killer who kills borders in her boarding house. Let's obviously we have fun stuff going on over at the Patreon if you haven't given it a shot, get on over there, and a lot of extra fun stuff going on, and you can go to That's Messed Up Live if you want to go to Lisa's road schedule. But oh my god, your little ad for Peetown is so cute. Oh good good, she's gonna be in p Town.
Speaker 1: I haven't been posting clips, I haven't been doing anything. I've just spit out at about and it's like I don't know. The BADATA was like fuck the algorithm, but I go, yeah, fuck the algorithm.
Speaker 2: What are we gonna do? Yeah? Why is it gonna explode? Go back like I don't get it.
Speaker 4: And then always, you know, our merch is up there too. We got our Louise Lewis Lewis Louise Lewis Lois shirt that is very soft and beautiful colors. If you'd like to check that out. That you can also get there from that's mess up live dot com. And then let's get started with today's episode. Okay, today we're doing Assumption Season twenty, episode four. This episode came out May Nine's twenty nineteen. I'm home. I've got a one month old baby. You know I'm watching this.
Speaker 1: Thing well, and you know that this is the year Warren Light took off.
Speaker 4: Because it's a normal title. Yeah, season twenty, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep. So two young dudes come running out of a religious building. I can't really tell what it is at first, and one is like, let's go, let's go, and the other one is like, they're going to find out, but they run off into the night a random woman. We find out later on the they're on the Upper West Side, and this really tracks goes you, oh boys, I saw you come out of the synagogue. What were you doing? I'm calling the cops. I mean, she's perfect. She's she's got like a cart. She's a cart lady. She's one of those ladies that pushes their groceries in a cart, their laundry, you know.
Speaker 2: They get around New York with the carts.
Speaker 4: And then they knock her ass over and her cart and they flee. So now we cut to Benson's cozy little apartment where she is watching a news report about Rob Miller aka Bosh aka Titus Well of her. He is the if we haven't covered this episode yet, but he's a famous lawyer who rapes Niki Stains, who's another lawyer from several sv episodes in the episode Blackout, and he's like this really powerful guy and very ominous. Richard Kind is playing his lawyer and he's they're telling the press they want his charges dismissed, and Benson quietly goes son of a bitch to herself, and then Noah immediately starts whining for her attention, and he's like, are.
Speaker 2: You mad at me?
Speaker 4: And she goes, no, I'm mad, but I'm not mad at you, Like I'm not, it's not the reason. But he's like, you're mad, right, and it's like, you know what she does for a living, right, Like at this point you're at least ten, you've got to know that her days are not great. So she tells him, yeah, I'm mad, but not at you. And then he's like, how do you spell believe? As in believe women ben some superpower, and she's helping him spell it, sound it out, and she's sitting with him and she's helping him, but her eyes are wandering back over to this news coverage, which is long they are the camera's on him for a long time on the news. And then at the synagogue, the lady that the kids decked is describing the boys to the cops and she says, well, one was wearing one of those red Maga hats. And the cops like seem skeptical. They're like, so did you actually see them? Do anything or and the lady's like they were running, and I mean, I gotta give it to the like the cops, Like the cops don't have anything to go on. But two teens booking it at night is never a good sign. And she mentions that as they passed her, one of them called her a slur for Jewish people, and she mentions that temple was vandalized. Last week's swastikas were spray painted everywhere. So they start searching the dark synagogue and a female cop is basically calling in it and as nothing. She's like false alarm or something like that. When she starts finding articles of clothing and eventually, very quickly after a woman unconscious, lying on the floor, blood on her head, and she's going, please stop, please stop. The woman so she's conscious, but she's like barely making sense, you know, she's in and out of consciousness, I would say. So when Carisi and Rowins get there, they're getting the info it's a sexual assault, possibly a hate crime. Her hitjob was torn off. Karsi's confused why a Muslim woman would be raped in a synagogue, and it's like, how do you not know yet that any old wild thing can happen in New York City?
Speaker 2: Like, how long have you been on the squad? Now it's season twenty.
Speaker 4: The victim's name is Nala Nassar's and they're like the city councilwoman and Rollin's and Carisi discussed how this council woman has been on the news a lot lately for making anti Semitic comments, so why would she be in a And the victim gets rolled out on a stretcher. They ask her what happened, and she goes, I was set up by quote unquote those people. And like, I think literally never once been used in a good way like those people. No one's ever said those people really came through for me when I was sick. Those people really, you know, like it's just not really a really a great way to ever refer to anyone. So outside a hospital the next morning, Benson meets up with Daddy Dodds aka Eyebrows, and she's just like and he goes, she was set up by Jews, and the way he says it is really funny. I just it's just funny, like and and it's like Benson hasn't even had coffee yet, and he's like, she was set up by Jews, like there's not even proof, and the press is hounding them for answers, saying the victim is a note at anti Semite, and dodd says the NYPD does not control bigotry or hate motivated violence of any kind, blah blah blah. Once they're inside, Dodds is like, oh, I haven't even had the chance to talk to you about Rob Miller. You heard he's out on bail, like kind of like trying to goss with her. Benson's like, yeah, I would have loved a heads up about that, and Dodds is like, I found out on the news too, man, Like they don't tell me anything.
Speaker 1: So Rollin's and Careesi filled out those two. In Miss Nastar is being treated for a concussion. They're doing a rape kit. Still no leads on why she was in the temple, but her chief of staff, Aida galanis just to ride.
Speaker 4: Maybe she'll have some answers. Dodds wants them to tell her to shut the fuck up and not talk to the press. Basically, so Realissi is now talking to Aida, who's played by Elise Hudson. She was in Spike Lee's She's got to have it, and she's basically jogging through.
Speaker 2: The hospital while talking to them.
Speaker 4: It's quite a brisk walk and talk, and she's telling them Nalla is passionate, she's criticizing Israel. She's not anti Semitic, So why was she at this temple? And AIDA's like, honestly, I don't know. She can actually be very private and I respect her boundaries. She received any threats and they're like, yeah, I mean our office is basically a protest headquarters. Are you kidding? Like her phone is ringing off the hook with hate calls, so yeah, the answer is yes, and Rollins is like sure, sure, sure, Like but anything outside of like the standard hate stuff, like anything sexual, anything specific. And Ada's like, yeah, no one said they were going to rape her. And they're like, okay, well we need phone, email and social media records blah blah blah. And she goes, hope you need the overtime, and like, in terms of all these threats, there's so many threats, so and she goes, I'm sick of what happened out there. But the upside is that everyone is going to realize that she's the real victim here. So now we've seen Alla walking back into her hospital room to find several NYPD detectives plus eyebrows waiting for her. And this actress is named Nazanine Contractor. She's been at regular on like twenty four COVID Affairs Jennifer Hospital. She's like guest art on almost every single show you've ever heard of. And they tell her they're sorry for what happened to her. She tells them, listen, my parents are from Syria. I know what girls have endured in war zones. I'm not gonna feel sorry for myself. And Benson is like, Okay, that's all well and good, but you have been traumatized and we're here to help you. And she's like, well, then catch his ass. And she's telling them that she was alone in the sanctuary. She was looking in at the Torres scrolls in the cabinet. It felt like a place of reverence, a place of godliness, and then she was hit on the back of the head violently. She fell to the ground. She started to cry and says he pinned her down. He was rough, He tore off her job, pulled up her skirt and forced himself on her, and he didn't say anything. She didn't see his face. She doesn't know when he left. She must have passed out. So why did you say you were set up?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: Why were you there?
Speaker 4: And she said, I was lured there by a man pretending to want peace. I was lied to by a Zionist. So now they're in the Holocaust exhibit room at the synagogue where Ezra Zuckerman is telling them that some members of the congregation took issue with Misnassar, and he invited her to come walk through this Holocaust exhibit so that if she could see the images and what represents like she could see how hurtful her words were to the Jewish community. And he's like, we were supposed to meet in front of the office at eight o'clock, but she never showed up. He waited until eight twenty eight, twenty five, called her office a bunch of times, no answer, so he went home. He's got things to do. And this guy is actually an actor named Bob Ari and he was in the episode Cage aka the l Fanning episode where and the final episode of Back where we finally get rid of her, and he played a trial a child trafficker named Ignacious Petty, which is a wild name and is but now I see that face.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, Yes he looks fo okay.
Speaker 4: And he's also in the season twenty four episode called dead Ball, but I don't quite remember what that one is off the top of my head. Zuckerman confirms the vandalism that the other woman told him about from weeks earlier, and Finn's like, well, was there anyone around that could have seen anything? A maintenance crew, anything, And he's like yeah, he goes, well, the facility manager unlocked the room, and there was also a youth group meeting that night. Uh oh, he goes, I saw two boys in the bathroom, and he's okay to totally give their asses up to the cops. He said, he feels terrible for what happened to miss Nastar, but she's also been saying horrid stuff about his community, reinforcing stereotypes and tropes, and that's how things got started in Germany. The guy says, So, Finn and Cries are buzzing a doorbell and also arguing. Finn is like, why can't she say whatever she wants? And Carisy goes, sure, that's first Amendment, but like, what if she was saying horrible shit about African Americans, and Finn goes, I don't bother listening to ignorant dumbasses.
Speaker 2: So he's like, I guess. He's like, it wouldn't really bother me.
Speaker 4: I don't listen to stupid people, and Cariese's like, well that's you, Finn.
Speaker 2: The world doesn't work like that.
Speaker 4: Words have consequences, and wow, Carisi has the audacity to be explaining to Finn Tutuola how the world does and does not work is kind of wild. But Finn's like, so it's free speech until you piss somebody off, and then it's hate speech. Her conversation gets interrupted. Finally someone answers this goddamn door. It's been a long time that they've been having this conversation, and very accusatory. The guy goes, can I help you? It's like do you want to see if they're like, I don't know from the power department, like chill out. And so they tell them that they're looking for Ari Kaplan and he goes, that's my son, and they're like, can you go get him for us? Now Ari comes to the front door wearing a backwards red baseball cap. They ask if he was at the synagogue. The night before, and he goes, yeah, but we didn't touch her. I swear to God, and that's all they need to hear. You need to come with us right now, let's go. So they drag this kid. The two boys are named Ari Kaplan and Michael Schwartz, caught on security cameras. They were there for a meeting about their birthright trip to Israel, which loll just making sure all the rules and rags of the birthright trip are being laid out in advance. And then it turns out that the red cap is not a Maga hat, it's a high school logo. And the lady that they shoved esther said she actually might have misunderstood the word mike, which one of the boys is named Michael for the Jewish slur that she heard. So, okay, some of these, you know, eyewitness account things are a little bit melting away now. So the boys say that they walked into the temple they saw her lying unconscious on the floor when they walked in, they freaked out, thought they'd get blamed. Cariese is questioning this kid in cement room bars and he's like, why would you Why would people blame you? And he goes because she's an anti Semite, and the dad's like, listen, I don't love this woman, but my son did not rape her.
Speaker 2: He's a good boy. And then how many times have we heard that?
Speaker 4: And they're like, yeah, he's a good boy who left a victim of a crime bleeding on the temple floor. Crisey's like, I don't know if God would have sided with him on this one, and then Ari's ratcheting up his squeaky teen voice, being like.
Speaker 2: What was she even doing there? It's like she was deliberately trying.
Speaker 4: To provoke us, and Caresee's like, well did it work? You seem angry. Her head was smashed, her hit job was torn off, and he says he says, you know, I didn't do that. And this actor's name is Ted Sutherland. He's also in Catfishing Teacher. There's like a lot of repeat people in this episode. Cariese says, Okay, well maybe it was your buddy Michael, and if it was, you better roll on him before he rolls on you. So now Finn is with whiney teen number two Michael Schwartz with his mother giving him the same run around like why didn't you help her? Why didn't you do anything? And the mother shows her true colors pretty quickly, referring to the victim as that Muslim woman and saying that her head scarf means she believes in Sharia law. And Finn goes, so she's a terrorist, and then the mom lawyer's up for her.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Emmy Blotnik has the best joke right now, because you know, people that hate mom Donnie, it's always like Sharia lah, you know, yah, yeah, and she goes, yeah, you know, New York filled with millions of people, all differing on so many topics, but what brings us all together is Sharia law. Yeah, like this idea that like that's what we would all be voting for or whatever, that he's going to get the NYPD to enforce Sharia law in New York City. But that's what got everyone everyone of I mean, it is crazy that this episode because it's not ahead of its time, because stuff was happening in the Middle East for.
Speaker 2: Decades, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it is wild that it's this a few years.
Speaker 2: Before more of this started boiling over and yeah, so.
Speaker 1: In but it's also it's like, you don't know anyone with a head scarf. That's like chilling fun like I don't know, yeah, like you yeah, you don't know any Jews or like not into it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Also yeah, no, I was gonna, but they don't.
Speaker 4: There are other religions that were whole head scarves too, right, there are other religions that wear head coverings. I mean, of all people Jews, it's like you guys wear Yamaica's we guys. I'm a Jew, but like we wear Yamaica's men and well people cover their heads.
Speaker 1: Well it's yeah, it's just racist. Yeah, but you know they're showing the two side.
Speaker 4: The one dad is like, I don't agree with her, but we didn't do this, and the other mom is like she practiced is sharia law famously storming New York City taking it over right now. So in Liz's office, the gang is brainstorming.
Speaker 2: So we've got motive an opportunity.
Speaker 4: They hate this woman all over social media, but none of their posts advocate violence.
Speaker 2: They're also straight A students.
Speaker 4: They have no records and there's no other evidence, and like, I'm sorry if two teens were gonna commit a rape on the fly in a temple. They're leaving DNA, but we keep saying this like they're not leaving an impeccable crime scene behind. Okay, there's no other evidence, there's no DNA on the rape kit. Benson asks Finn his thoughts and he says, I see racism all around, and Benson says, well, why don't we release the boys and we'll see if Nala can make an id Releasi is now walking and talking with the redhead chief of staff Aida again and she's like, this was a hate we know who is responsible. Is NYPD afraid of being labeled anti Semitic and they tell her they want to find out who did this, and at the same time as Naula as walking out with an elderly constituent promising to protect her from eviction, so they want to show her some photos and her chief of staff is like, she didn't see the guy, and she's like, no, let the cops do their work, and then she says no, no, she's right, like I didn't see shit, and then she swipes through a bunch of the dudes the on the iPad and she doesn't recognize any of them, but then she stops at Ari's picture. She goes, I don't know him from that night, but I know him from earlier that day, and she also id's Michael and says he was there too. He grabbed my job and spit in my face. There Islamophobes, it's in their blood. One of these boys had.
Speaker 2: To have done it. So she's like saying racist things as well.
Speaker 1: You know, Liz, it's like a fucking nightmare, and it's like, it's a fucking nightmare ignorant, but it's not.
Speaker 2: It's worse than ignorance, yeah, heye.
Speaker 1: And I don't think it's ways comes from ignorance or does it inherently?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: I think sometimes it's just generational.
Speaker 4: Centuries after centuries, people are taught, you know, to that that's like there the beliefs of their family and everyone around them, and it's like this is what we believe, you know. But Liv is like, okay, So these boys were protesting outside her office earlier that day and they didn't mention it, and obviously they said they they thought.
Speaker 2: It would make them look guilty, which it does.
Speaker 4: And also they said that she started it, and they're like, well, did anyone else witness this? DoD breezes in goes head over to metro buzz okay the website, and they have footage of the entire argument, like a very clear high death right up close footage. The boys are in her face, calling her an anti semi and she goes, ew, stop spitting in my face like an animal. But she means like while he's talking, like he didn't spit in her face. He's spitting while he's talking because he's mad. And then he puts a hand on her for like maybe a split second to get her attention and says, don't call me an animal, and she goes, are you trying to rip off my hijab?
Speaker 2: Which riles up the crowd.
Speaker 4: It's an act of aggression, like and it clearly on the video is like not what he's trying to do. But he is screaming in her face, which is not good. And it's all over the news that that footage, they say, and the claim that the NYPD arrested two Jewish teens even though they didn't arrest the teens. They let the teens go, so they like someone must have leaked it. Dodds is stressed about the optics. He's like, it would have been easier if it had just been too alt right thugs. And now at Metro Buzz, Finn and Careesi are talking to some dork and they want to know who told him they arrested the two Jewish teens when they did it, and he's like, I can't give up my sources, and I like hate this guy. He starts eating a banana mid conversation that makes me want to throw up, Like stop like eating a mushy fruit in the middle of a conversation. It's not his problem, NYPD wants to control the narrative, he says, and Caresee's like, aren't you a journalist?
Speaker 2: Like are you supposed to care about the truth?
Speaker 4: And he goes, yeah, it turns out there's a lot of different truths out there, and you know, this is the height of alternative facts and like fake news and shit like that, because this is like two years into Trump And he says, are there any more questions?
Speaker 2: I got work to do?
Speaker 4: Is he keeps mowing on his banana and they go had your film crew just happen to be front and center for all of this? And he's like, I guess I just got lucky. I've been covering the councilwoman. I knew things would get ugly. Eventually, Carisi and Finn are gross out by this guy. I am too.
Speaker 2: He keeps up with his banana and then they leave.
Speaker 4: So Stone and Benson are now, as per usual, boozing at a bar together and he says that video does not look good for the boys. And they're watching the news and Nala is there also giving an interview about these boys.
Speaker 2: Who targeted her at her office with the protest.
Speaker 4: She went to the synagogue in good faith and she was sexually assaulted there, and Stone says, she's pouring gas on the fire, and Cariese's like, maybe more than that. We found an outgoing call from Nala's office to metro Buzz at three point thirty that day, and the confrontation happened at four point fifteen. So did she orchestrate this whole thing? Is it a hoax? And Stone goes, maybe it's not the only hoax. So now, of course Stone's the first one to be like, she made up the rape, and Benson and Stone confront Nala at her office, suggests that she orchestrated the whole thing, which she denies, and they're like, basically, She's like, well, they were protesting outside of my office, and they're like, sure, but once you knew they were there, you exploited this situation, like you turned up the heat, you did all, you know. And she's like, everybody's so worried about the Jews, and Benson's like, no, we're just trying to figure this out. Why would you call metro buzz And she goes it could have been someone else in my office, and Stone counters, yeah, but anybody in your office who made that call would have a vested interest in your success. And then she gets mad and she's like, are you suggesting I'm lying about my assault? And Benson's like, absolutely not, and Stone's like, yeah, pretty much I am. And she's like and Stone is like, you couldn't describe your attacker. Your rape kit was inconclusive. I mean, he's being an asshole. Nala is outraged and says, I wonder if my headscarf has something to do with you doubting me, And Benson has to like diffuse this situation because, you know, although this episode is episode four of season twenty, so Stone is still getting his SVU legs, I would say, right, he's still kind of being addict to victims, probably here and there, so so she goes, can you just give our text access to your phone records? And she's like, no fucking way, Jose, I thought the days of police calling victims liars were over.
Speaker 2: I guess not so.
Speaker 4: Outside the press is swarming once again, asking why aren't those Jewish kids in custody and like, yeah, I don't know if the press would be like framing it like that. But Stone is stonewalling, and Benson thinks Nala could be hiding something on her cell phone, and Stone's like, I'll get a subpoena. But Benson is worried that this is going to further the narrative that the victim is being persecuted. He goes, grab what phone records you can from the service provider. I'll go after metro Buzz. So we cut to the precinct where they have the whole tape from metro Buzz. Okay, so what we had seen on the news was like an edited tape and this is like the raw footage. So the judge agreed with Stone and said that it was a stage publicity stunt, not a protected act of journalism. And in the video, Nala goes straight into the mob instead of walking away like she comes out of her office, she sees there's a mob of protesters and she walks straight into it instead of being like, Bye, I'm getting in a carb going home, and she demands to know why are you harassing me? And they're like because you talk shit about Jewish people? And she's like, you condone genocide. And they're fighting back and forth and they go, you're the one that wants to push us into the sea. Who's paying you to come down here? Ziona is from Apac, Like you're not real Americans. Like there's all this back and forth going on, and the kid goes cause I don't know if it's Ari or Michael. Honestly I lost her.
Speaker 1: All the mislicals are like building hotels and just like, I don't know, excited by all of this?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so annoying, Yeah, like building concentration camps?
Speaker 2: You mean? But no, like did you see the Gwyneth Paltrow ad No?
Speaker 1: Oh, she is like jaw gig through Israel, looking at saying like look at all these luxury homes and hotels, how lovely? And it's like you, no, that was someone's home and they've all just been bombed to fucking pieces and she's jogging through. It's trying to sell luxury real estate, like where just even fucking murdered, Like Jenne's like a whole population of.
Speaker 2: People just fucking exploded.
Speaker 1: And I mean I had friends telling me that when you know, like a few years ago, like they're like, the Kushners are gonna buy up all this land and they're gonna make resorts like that Ai.
Speaker 4: The post land in Armenia, and the Armenians are furious.
Speaker 2: It's and that's the thing.
Speaker 1: I've saw a thing where it's like these billionaire capitalists, these like colonizers there that's never enough, never enough for these fucking people. But Gwyneth Pultrow, it's just like that clip coming out like I'm an independent, I don't really think about stuff. I feel nothing, and then an ad coming out like I sell real estate. It's right, but I don't think any I don't think anything matters because money unifies people more than anything.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so fucked up. You got to see the squind of that. I'm gonna look it up as soon as we're done here, are you kidding? That's crazy? But the one of the teens, I can't tell these two teen boys apart really. One of them goes, I am I am America, I'm a Jewish American or whatever, and she goes, so it's all about the Benjamins, then, isn't it. So she's using like inflammatory like, you know, they're both like I think they're all in this episode using inflammatory language about each other, and she's taunting him.
Speaker 2: Careesy points it out.
Speaker 4: He's like, look like she's saying all this stuff to like, but the Benjamin's part gets caught out of the thing, you know, and then then we see that don't spit in my face and the rip to jab attempt, and they're just not like, that part's not included, and so obviously metro Buzz only posted the second half of the confrontation and they don't buy that. They don't buy that these teens would have retaliated against that by sexually assault her, like that's it. But they're like, maybe she staged it, and Stone's like, if so, she'll be the one in handcuffs. So meanwhile, in the b plot, Benson tells Dodds how Rob Miller's lawyer served her with a subpoena last night at home when she was home with Noah, and he also had a state trooper pull her over with Noah in the car. Nikki stains is terrified and won't testify, and you know, she's like, he raped her and he's gonna get away with it, and Donn's is like.
Speaker 2: Why don't you let me worry about that.
Speaker 4: The Mayor's office needs to know we're making progress with the Nasar case, and so she says, we're working on it, and he goes, we'll work faster. It's like, I don't know when work faster has ever like yielded better results. But he also asks Benson about some memo and then goes, you'd let me know if you had issues with that, right, and she goes, yeah, I would have let you know. I don't really know if they ever come back to the memo, and I don't know what it is, but maybe somebody else does. Robins pops in with some info over Eizen finally turned over all of Nala's call logs. Nothing from the day of the assault or the night before, but there are a lot of calls to a nine one seven number, and who is this person? Could that be her accomplice? So Finn and Cares are on the scene. The phone is registered to Tracy Larson and they're at the address and it's meow mixed two point zero is what it's called. And Finn asks Cariesy, you know what this is? And Creasy goes a petsto and it's a lesbian bar and Tracy is the owner. She's not there. Carisey and Finn are goofing around, going, oh, she's not here.
Speaker 2: You don't know where she is.
Speaker 4: I guess we'll just sup, we'll just chill, we'll just post up here, and uh wait until she gets here, because like nothing chills the mood. Then two straight male detectives at a lesbian bar and uh, Caresy ghosts, can I get a club sodo with a lot of limes. I love limes, like the way he says it is really funny to me. And that's when they clock done. Done. Nala herself at the bar, ordering a dirty martini from the bartender who she knows by name.
Speaker 2: No Hi, job on.
Speaker 4: They make I contact with her and she knows the jig is up outside She's begging them, please do not out me. My professional life will be over, and they're like, so is the hijob Muslim thing like just for show, and she goes the way they were, this is weird.
Speaker 2: She goes, it didn't start out that way.
Speaker 4: Like they make it seem like she became Muslim for the show, like for the show of being a city council person, and that's like not true. She was a devout Muslim and then when she met Tracy everything changed. They've been together for about a year, so dundun, she's a lesbian and she trusts the ladies at this bar.
Speaker 2: She asks them to do the same, and she's.
Speaker 4: Like, I'm really territfied of my parents finding out as well, and Finn goes, listen, your sexual orientation is none of our business unless it affects your case, and she goes, it doesn't. And the whole time she's talking to them, she's like tying her hit job back on because she's like out on the street and I think that now Mix two point zero is the only place where she's allowed to be herself. So at the precinct, Benson's like, but at the same time, it's like, Lady, any random lesbians can go into that bar, like anyone can say they saw a city council person. You do know, think there's not gossipy lesbians like, it's not like everyone's a regular. It's very ballsy, a member's only club. Maybe I would buy, but like just a bar. But also I don't know council people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like if some councilman was with or without a job or her glasses, like the only reason I know, mom, Donnie, Like.
Speaker 2: I don't know, I don't know anything.
Speaker 4: I know what my local council person looks like, and I know maybe what like three LA council people look like in La. But you're right if they were if I was in a different neighborhood and naked, and I'd have no idea.
Speaker 2: Who they were.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'd be like, look at this weird guy. Oh he's actually the rep from Council twelve, so District twelve. I meant, okay, So at the precinct, Benson's like, okay, well why can't she be gay and Muslim? And Rollin's like, yeah, that's fine, just don't run for office and lie about who you are, and Coreasey points out that growing up gay in a devout family has to be rough, and Finn's like, yeah, and if we were in Iraq, they'd throw her off a roof, which is a talking point that gets you know, parroted a lot, but Benson wants them to chase this angle, talk to her family, et cetera.
Speaker 1: That's the thing with always that where it's just like, yeah, but you don't care about gay people in our country, Like yeah, and also how does that like because their government hates gays, so then we should explode that, like I don't know if being a dead gay it proves anything, Like it's just none of that ever matters. Or like when they talk about the Middle East and are like what about the women, I'm like, I don't know, a lot of women here aren't treated well, Like what are you talking about? You don't actually care? I hate when people use like what is it bad faith arguments? Yeah, obviously you would like that, but it's like you don't care about yay men or gay people or poor people, So stop fucking pretending when it like gives you motivation to Bamba country.
Speaker 2: Yep, exactly.
Speaker 4: So now they're sitting and talking to Nala's dad and mom. Okay, they immigrated from Syria for years ago. Nala was born there in the States, they're very proud of her. She majored in foreign relations at Dartmouth worked in DC and they're like, thankfully, she also stayed in the faith the entire time. And they're like, well, did she have a rebel from the religion? And they're like a little bit like, she went to high school in Brooklyn and she wanted to fit in, but she started wearing the hit job when she met Masud, her ex husband, which the parents are pretty chill about her having an ex husband. They've been divorced two years. The mom says it was very amicable. He wanted a large family and she wasn't ready. She wanted to focus on her career, and so they go to speak to Masud. He is a florist, and he was like, yeah, I was going to reach out to her when I heard what happened, but I didn't think she want to hear from me. And the kid thing is basically what they told her parents and his parents, but they basically grew apart.
Speaker 2: They weren't quote unquote on the same page romantically, he says.
Speaker 1: So she still loves her gay and that's why he's a florist. What's going on here? No, I think he is straight, but that's funny.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he just was like she didn't want to have sex with me because she doesn't like men. So he still loves her, but he thought it was best to let her move. On the night of the attack, he was at the flower shop all day until eight o'clock when he walked home and Caresee says okay, thanks. But when they walk out, he's suspicious as hell. He tells Rollins, there's no way he was at that flower shop till eight and Caresy They're like, how do you know? And Creasey goes, because I saw his ass on the metro Buzz video watching the whole thing go down. When I tell you that, They go back to the precinct and they check the tape and Masude is so far in the fucking background.
Speaker 2: It's like a where's Waldo?
Speaker 4: There is no way in hell Careese would have clocked this dude and memorized his face. It could be one thing if he looked at the photo later and goes, wait a minute, is that the guy we talked to at the flower shop? But to see him at the flower shop and recognize him being a centimeter big in this video is crazy to me. Maybe he's watched it a thousand times. Who knows, but Taru trace this guy's cell phone to the flower shop all night, so he must been smart enough to leave it behind. At Nana's office, she says, I haven't seen Masuit in two years since we split, and he hasn't reached out. But then redheaded chief of staff, And again, is this wrong of me to keep referring to her as a redhead? She has very beautiful red hair. I don't ever say the brunette chief of staff. Really, I just do it with a redhead because her hair is very like pretty and red and it's kind of like a striking thing about her. But I hope that's not, you know, being weird. She says, well, that's actually not true. He's been here three times in the last few months and I made him leave. And Nala's like, bitch, why didn't you tell me that? And She's like, well, he stopped coming when I told him that I was going to call the cops. But I am pretty sure I saw him waiting outside one day last week, so obviously your plan didn't work. And Nana's like, okay, he was stalking me. And Benson says that an older woman in the area that night said that she saw Masud hanging around the synagogue. Now is this the same woman Esther? And is she just hanging around the cinemagogue literally reporting anyone she sees walking too quickly or just hanging around. A good question that we don't get the answer to it. I'm just finding it.
Speaker 1: Is such a good jew name, like they are like in terms of like the name Stereo, like the names that they are reinstormed.
Speaker 2: I think has to be really nailed it. My grandma's name Esther yep.
Speaker 4: So uh is there anywhere else he could have followed you? And Nalah is clueless, and they ask Aita to leave the room, okay, And like Bensing goes, could he have followed you to Morgan's Bar? And I don't know why she calls it Morgan's bar because Tracy's name is Tracy Larson. The bar has called me how mixed two point zero? I don't know why. I think that seems like I caught something. I caught a mistake and I love to do that. And Nala goes, I don't know, But then she says, but now that I think about it, about a month ago, Tracy told me that a man walked into the bar looked around, realizes it was a gay bar, and then spat on the floor and left. And there's no cameras in the bar, but there is dot cameras at the intersection by the bar. So Releisi walk into the flower shop together as Masud is selling a bouquet to someone, and when he sees them, he puts the scissors like into ante. He's like holding, you know, pruning shears for flowers. But when he sees these two cops, he like snatches it up in his hand like an attack position. Christy goes, whatever you think, and that's a bad idea, and he hangs up the scissors. He puts his hands up. They cuff him and arrest him for rape, and he goes, I'm not surprised Nana is accusing me. She hates men, don't we all. We're not all just like fucking, you know, accusing random people. Robin says, I'm not sure about that, but she definitely hates you.
Speaker 1: Dog.
Speaker 4: So outside of court, there's another huge protest going on, and Nalla's sitting in a car with Benson and she's like everyone in New York either despises me or thinks I'm a liar. She's like, stressed out. Her family's going to be in court. She could lose her family, she could lose her job. She's like, I don't know if this is all worth and Benson gives her a classic Benson pep talk. You deserve justice, it doesn't matter your mistakes. She says, people have lost faith in me. Benson says, it's because they don't know you. This is your chance to tell them the truth. You can do this and I'll be right behind you. They walk into court as two sides of protesters both scream you know. Nala is on the stand now explaining what happened to her. She said, she initially told the police she didn't see who raped her, but now she knows it was her ex Masud Parage, and the police told me that they went that he had found out I was a lesbian. I know he assaulted me because he felt I had violated his honor. At first, she didn't recognize him as her rapist because they hadn't been intimate in years. But how did she know it was him? Then she said, the rapist grabbed my hair with his right hand and pulled it really, really hard as he was assaulting me, and that was the same thing Masud used to do when we had sex. So now she's like, I now know it was him, And now it's the defense's turn. How shitty for that to be your signature sex move? Is pain hair pulling? Like some people like hair pulling, but not painful. Every single time he just pulls my hair and I hate it. You know that's not going to be a recipe for success. So now it's the defense's turn. And who is the attorney but Naomi Ziggler, who is the woman who defended one of the attackers in American Dream and Sanctuary, which is another episode with Muslim victims that we just did a few weeks ago. Same lawyer is back and she asks, Nala, did you tell the police about the hair grabbing? And she's like, no, I didn't, And she said, well, so you didn't remember it until after they told you my client was a suspect, And honestly, like, this is the kind of thing Barbara would have said, no fucking way, find me some more evidence, Like there's no way I can put her on the stand with her saying I never saw my attacker, but now I know it's my attacker because you arrested him and he did this hair pulling thing, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: It's like it has to be her.
Speaker 4: Her testimony has to be unbiased, and it's completely biased by I think the police and all this stuff. So I would think Barbara would not have even put her on the stand with this or gone forward with this case unless they found more evidence. But you know, Stone does his own thing. So the lawyer is interrupted, so.
Speaker 1: Not like thinking like, oh, yes, this reminds me of my husband, like right, being like raped on the floor.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean.
Speaker 4: Like sure, so they put it all together, but it's not enough evidence I think for them to like put her on the stand.
Speaker 2: You know, I just feel like they wouldn't have.
Speaker 4: But I know it's a TV show. So the lawyer is interrupting Naala and going, but at first you thought your rapist was a boy in a maga hat, right, She goes, well, my aide said there was a witness, And she's like, and then you told them it was it.
Speaker 2: Was these two Jewish boys.
Speaker 4: She's like, yes, but I recanted that, and she goes, yeah, the two Jewish boys that you had baited into a confrontation earlier that day, and she says I should not have done that, And then the lawyer says the confrontation was a hoax. Isn't it true the police also thought the rape was a hoax, and you lied to police several times, and you lied about being gay. Isn't this all a hopes to gain sympathy and raise your political profile. Stone objects. Judge Karen Blake sustains, we all know that's Aby Brabson, sv regular judge and the wife of the late Great Andre Brower, and Nala says she thought. Nala pipes in and goes, I thought I had to hide that part of my life. I was afraid and Ziggler cuts her off with this bitchy nothing further, but Nala keeps going. She goes, I'm risking it all to be here, my career, my family, everything, But I'm not afraid anymore. So you know the jury that could resonate with the jury. Her parents are in the gallery, like you know, and Masad is on the stand now saying I wasn't stalking her.
Speaker 2: I was worried about her. I was just checking on her.
Speaker 4: And then they're like, but you were at the synagogue that night, and he goes, I wasn't white people in that neighborhood think all buzzled people look alike. I'm used to it by now. And then he's like, I wish I had followed her. I could have saved her. And he says he knew. He did know she was a lesbian, which was ful at first, but he loves her and he would never hurt her. And Stone's like, oh, so you love her, you were protecting her. Did you ask her if she needed protection? He's like no, and she's like and Stone's like, so she had no choice. So that sounds like a lot more like stalking than love. And then what about when you spit on the ground of your ex wife's lover's bar? Was that concern as well? And he's like, no, that was wrong. And then they're like, well, were you angry jealous? And he goes, you don't understand she's my wife, and he goes your ex wife and the music ramps up, so you know Stone's going in for the kill. He's like, you brought to Sharia law, right, and he's like yes, and he says, well, Sharia law doesn't recognize divorce under the American legal system. That must have been hard for you to accept as a conservative Muslim. He's like, doesn't really say anything, and she's like, you're not like Nala, who takes off her hit job whenever she feels like it and sleeps with random women.
Speaker 2: Okay, rude, she has a steady girlfriend.
Speaker 4: Oh sorry. This is when he says, you follow Sharia law. He says yes, and he's like, and doesn't Triola say that homsrual as a moral and he quotes Trila quote, if any of your women are guilty of lewdness, take the evidence of for reliable witnesses from amongst them, and if they testify, confine them to houses until and then Stone goes until what until what? Like pushing him and he's demanding an answer from Mussad, who is looking sweatier by the second at his lawyer objects, and Stone keeps pushing, and he finally goes until death do claim them?
Speaker 2: And then I should have killed her, he said.
Speaker 4: But uh, Stone goes, so yeah, instead of just assaulting and raping her, why didn't you kill her? And he says because she is my wife, and everyone is like just staring in silence, like Stone grins and goes nothing further, and at closing arguments Ziggler is doing. They're actually I would say that they don't really give all the defense attorneys a chance to have a nice closing argument, Like they'll give Barba the opportunity, you know, the prosecutors, but not all of the defense attorneys get that. And they give Ziggler this big, you know, monologue where she's like, you know, if you wear a red baseball cap, civilized society thinks you're a racist, a bigot of the worst order.
Speaker 2: It's so different you are.
Speaker 4: At this point. Yeah, at this point, like, nobody's wearing a red baseball hat if they're fully anti MAGA because they know they'll be mistaken for Maga. Even the ones that are like make Kanye normal again or whatever, the ones that are like parodies, stop wearing those. Like nobody should be wearing those either, because those are so far away making people think that you're MAGA.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I'll get into it when we get into the crime. But it's this thing of like you can't judge me for my beliefs. It's like, I absolutely can. What are you talking about. Yeah, if you are, if you are supporting someone that is a fucking felon that steals from charities that has fake colleges, that has been found like guilty in civil court of rape.
Speaker 2: Like I don't what do you talk to you? Then?
Speaker 1: Are yes, I can judge you like this idea of actually not to bring up Savrus's podcast again, I'm like the number one the number one advertising, but Ian was on it. They were talking about just like right wing comics and like the man those types of you know, the Austin scene and he goes, what is freedom of speech? Like I don't want you arrested? I just think you suck. Yeah, I can't think you suck and you bombed like that. You can't be free of judgment, Like.
Speaker 2: That's what freedom of speech is.
Speaker 4: Freedom of speech is free of like legal persecution, not that you can that's you can't just say whatever you want and go, I'm gonna keep my job at a nonprofit like you know, you can't, like they're gonna fire you.
Speaker 2: Yah.
Speaker 1: In terms of comedy, it's like say whatever you want, but I'm allowed to say you suck, You're not fine, and I don't think you should have a career, Like.
Speaker 4: Well, that's what do you always say about the whole You can't say anything anymore? Crowd, but I just don't say anything going. I mean, I don't want you arrested, right, you don't get jail time, but you don't get my money anymore.
Speaker 2: You know, you don't get like my attention.
Speaker 4: Okay, So anyway back to this monologue, She's like, if you wear a red baseball hab, civilized society thinks you're a racist, a biggot of the worst. If a teen runs out of a synagogue, we assume they're reliving the bliss of crystal knocked. I mean, that's like a wild phrase to put into a monologue. If a Muslim woman is attacked, we have to believe the attacker is in an islamophobe. But in this case, the teen was running because he was scared. The brutal attacker was not Jewish. How do you know that? If you think your client isn't guilty, then you don't know who the attacker is.
Speaker 2: But all he could be a Jew.
Speaker 1: Those boys should have called the authorities like yeah, fine, you didn't do it, but you saw a bloody attacked woman on the floor of a synagogue and ran away and said nothing, right, right, that's not great behavior totally.
Speaker 4: So whatever she says, if you are Russian. So basically, her whole closing argument is assumptions. It don't make assumptions about people. If you're rushing to assume that, which is you know, obviously the name of the episode.
Speaker 1: If you're rushing, you're gonna say that she said something about Russians.
Speaker 2: I'm like, wow, Russians made the monologue.
Speaker 4: She goes, if you're rushing to assume that she was attacked by her former husband because it was mandated by some medieval Koranic code, then shame on you. And then Stone gets up and says, yeah, so what she just brought up aren't assumptions, their hate filled stereotypes. We know this woman as a lesbian, We know her ex husband knew that. We know his religion tells him homosexuality is punishable by death. We know he was there, even though he denies that, and we know she's she has id'ed him as her rapist.
Speaker 2: Those are the facts that we know. What do we like?
Speaker 4: What do we do now with those facts? We look at the facts and we assumed he raped her. That's okay, that's how our system works. That's the way our system works. I mean, I thought it was supposed to be like beyond a reasonable doubt, like but yeah, now we're at deliberation and he's found guilty.
Speaker 2: Sorry, Ziegler.
Speaker 4: Benson is slow nodding to Nala, who looks back at her parents and they look like they don't know what to say. But outside the courtroom, Nala thanks Benson and Stone. She's wondering if she has the strength to come back from all this, and then her parents come out and she excuses herself.
Speaker 2: She approaches her.
Speaker 4: Parents and her mom says, I love you in Arabic. We're still proud of you, she says, and you are wrong. You haven't lost your family's love. And they all hug because that could have gone a couple of different ways, like there are there have been people who have said bye, like you know, we're not gonna.
Speaker 2: We've had some honor at killing episodes.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, or like even the night episode where they're Bosnian Muslims and he's like basically ready to beat the fuck up out of anyone who even talks about his sister getting attack, but so they all hug. It's a tender family moment, and then it is quickly interrupted when ding the elevator opens and some psychotic man comes out and starts throwing shit at Nala's, calling her a disgrace, and you know, he's obviously a practicer of Sharia law, it seems, because he's willing to throw rocks at a woman he doesn't know personally, and they pull him away, but her head is bleeding a little bit, so he got her. And then that's kind of the wrap up of this story. But the posts script of the episode is at an Italian restaurant, Benson's eating with Noah and she's roasting his basic bitch ass for always ordering spaghetti.
Speaker 2: And he's like, but should I get something different? She's like, it's fine, you like what you like.
Speaker 4: Then the music is kind of spooky and Noah clock's Rob Miller standing in the doorway of the restaurant. This is bosh, this is powerful lawyer. Why is he in this little restaurant that she's eating at with her son? And he's like, Mom, there's a man, Why why is he there? And why is he not on our podcast? I'm sending Titus what the fuck? I'm sending him an email today. So because the girl that the girl that connected me to him said he's really hard to organize over email, send him another email, and I'll nudge him again. So I'm going to email him personally and see if anything happens, we'll see. So she looks around, but by then someone's moved out of the way, so she doesn't know who it is. And then in the next split second, he's approaching the table and he's like, Lieutenant Benson, nice to see you, and she's like, what are you doing here?
Speaker 2: Like she looks upset, and he.
Speaker 1: Goes, probably like, how are you affording this restaurant in your civil servants salary?
Speaker 2: Confusing?
Speaker 4: Yeah, and he goes, this must be your son, Noah. Why do you know her son's name? You freaking creep?
Speaker 2: And Noah is like, are you a friend of my mom's? And he goes, I am a good friend.
Speaker 4: It's like this is very menacing, right, and he goes, I'm Rob, nice to meet you and shakes his hand and Benson looks so uncomfortable. And that's dick Wolf baby, And you know, we haven't done these episodes yet Blackout, and then there's another episode that ends with him. There's two episodes that he's featured in and we're gonna do them. And he's he's scary. He's like one of these scary, powerful guys, you know, Like so that's that's that on that episode. Yeah, well butmmer yeah all right, as I'm sure the crime is about to be as well.
Speaker 2: Okay, So this is.
Speaker 1: Based on like three different things, one of which I feel like everyone knows and is waiting. In this image from It's a Conferent at the Lincoln Memorial from January twenty nineteen, it's like the Native American man and then the white young boy with the red hat on.
Speaker 2: So I see this boy's face in my head right now, and I want to crush his face.
Speaker 1: I know, because perception is so funny because just so many people it's like, oh, because he keeps me like the whole time, and so much of his stuff is like I was smiling, so people knew that I wasn't gonna give in and be angry, and I was smiling to feel welcoming. And it's like, no, you look evil, Like yeah, you are evil, smug as you are smug. And this idea of like what looks like a good guy to certain communities or people is like the face of true like evil, discomfort and unsafety. You know what I mean, and him just acting like we're actually just good boys, and I was smiling.
Speaker 2: And it's like, no, your eyes are not, like what are you? You think we're fucking stupid.
Speaker 1: Like it's like when someone doesn't want to raise their voice, so they think that doing something like better, but it's it's I called it like the I'm not touching your face.
Speaker 2: It's like okay, but like you are being annoying, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: So yeah, I wrote smug evil and knowing he's gonna get away with it, and just like being a young Trumper, it's like so sad and weird being and.
Speaker 2: Like teens, like they're on a school trip right, like yeah.
Speaker 1: So this was also the Indigenous People's March, so it's also this thing of like, oh, we were just there, and it's like you showing up to an event for brown people in the red hat is an act of something and you're pretending it's not.
Speaker 2: It's like why are you there? Why were they there? These were students there.
Speaker 1: They were there for the anti choice march, like that was happening later that week, so they were here to do this like what they call pro life, but like this anti abortion thing and they decided to go crash the Indigenous people's march, which is wild and this man is like an elder with the Ome tribe, and he said that all he saw was unbridled hate with these people. And if you look at the photos, even the people behind the red hat, it's like they're gross people. So the boy's name is Nick Sandman, and he's a student at the Covington Catholic School from Kentucky. And this is the quote CNN quoted him going, I did smile at one point because I wanted him to know that I was not going to become angry. And it's like, okay, he goes, I'm a faithful Christian and practicing Catholic, and I always try to live up to the ideals. My faith teaches me to remain respectful to others and to take no action that would lead to conflict or violence. And it's like they can't possibly be believing what they're saying, Like the crusades, the witch burnings, what are you talking about? Yeah, like your religion is based on fucking murdering I know anyone that's not, Like you vote for the party that's pro death penalty. It's like I just like don't understand, like so weird.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So, and he's like, I just want to caution people about rushing to judgment. But like the hat, you show what you stand for. I don't see a white guy and go that's an evil man. Right, Well I do, of course, but I'm just saying, but like you putting the hat on, it's like, yeah, it means something, and we could take meaning away, but it is what it is.
Speaker 2: So yeah.
Speaker 1: Kaya Titiano is a student from the University of the District of Columbia and she was there and she's quoted in CNN saying I did not feel safe in that circle. And she said that she heard teens chanting build the Wall and Trump twenty twenty and like build the wall to Native Americans.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah.
Speaker 1: So Nathan Phillips, it was playing the drums. He's like the elder of like from Omaha of the Oma tribe. So Nathan Phillips is playing drums and he said he was doing like this heel like this prayer for peace on the drum because basically, and the boy wouldn't get out of the way, Like the boy wouldn't leave or get out of the way or make room for him, but he did it. Because what ended up it's kind of like this where there was like a short clip that came out and then everyone made their pieces and journalists stuff and whatever, and then a longer video came out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like in this episode, right, yeah, and we're contact.
Speaker 1: So basically, there was a group of black Hebrew Israelites and the Trump Catholics and they were arguing with each other. So there was like commotion with them, and then he came over with this peace drum. Okay, and I hope I'm not using offensive language, but like that is what happened.
Speaker 2: So then.
Speaker 1: They called the students incent babies and school shooters. That's funny, that's those are funny insults to me, Like I don't know, and they they used the UN word, so I don't know, like yeah, and then the student was saying they just surrounded him and they were mocking him, in mocking the chant. And then of course Phillips, you know, served in the US Marine Corps and it's like so like to say, build the wall and get out of our country is like so crazy. The Catholic anti abortion guy ended up suing the Washington Post, if you remember, for two hundred and fifty million dollars, and the parents, being super Catholic, asked the Kentucky Federal District Court to help them quote teach the Post a lesson. It will never forget. These are really litigious people. The judge at first dismissed the lawsuit. However, so many settlements, Oh my god. So the Washington Post settled out of court with the parents for an undisclosed him out, and then another like the judge reinstated three out of the thirty three statements were allowed back in for the case. And then CNN also settled with the family, so they sued them too, and they filed a suit for two hundred and seventy five million dollars against CNN, and again no details of like how much money, what a villain, what a villain?
Speaker 2: Origin story?
Speaker 1: And then the boy keeps saying he was not disrespectful, but again, wearing a hat that to an event for brown people is disrespectful. But what the video proved too is like the boys didn't approach Phillips. Philip approached them, but they wouldn't get out of the way. And it's like journalists should there is there should just be a high standard for journalism, you know, and we talked about this recently in another case. But he also is a miner, so like he's sixteen posting things that might not be real. I mean, I don't know, but they also suit NBC News And then twelve other individuals for defamatory statements, including Elizabeth Warren, other senators, celebrities, anybody that had an audience that lied, and libel miners they've never met. And it's like, I wonder if these parents have the same care for like the teenagers who are murdered by police all the time, as being children and for their innocence and safety, and like how they the way the media picks photographs of these children to portray them a certain way, Like I wonder if they have that much love and empathy for those children. But like oh oh, his or son libeling miners. Yeah, And so then eight more Catholic school students started suing as well. The New York Times got sued, Sean King got sued. Everyone's being sued. But yeah, so like before more context came out, people started making opinions. But it's like, yes, because your hat means something, so like you wanting there needs to be good faith and just young boy. It's just like it's not but I can't imagine how much money they made. The President tweeted in support of these people, and they compare judging people that are Trumpers to be like McCarthyism, and it's like they don't have caught.
Speaker 2: They are so stupid.
Speaker 1: Also, that kid will probably run for office. Mat Oh, it's where oh, don't worry, don't worry. So well, he's not old enough yet, but yeah, hold on. So then and then they're like the Post was trying to further their political agenda. It's like it's not even a real paper anymore. Yeah, it's like, no, what are you talking about. It's a bought paper by the upper class, like and so. And of course that year he was a speaker at the RNC. Other speakers included Mark and Patricia McCloskey. They're the Saint Louis couple who stood outside their homes with guns during the Black Lives Matter march. So it was like a virtual RNC. And then there was an article behind a paywall for Cincinnati dot Com. I didn't pay for it, but it said that in quotes that like Charlie Kirk was a lifeline to him, and he loved Charlie Kirk and he recently, according to w LWT five NBC Kentucky slash Cincinnati affiliate, they're like very close. March twenty twenty six, he took the stage during a Trump event in hebron, Kentucky.
Speaker 4: So he is speaking at Trump ra celebrity local Kentucky celebrity. This fucking punch probably made millions of dollars. And I guess I'll say allegedly to everything, I don't know whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But then it's also like opinions or not, And it's like if I think you're a racist loser, like how is that?
Speaker 2: Like why can't that opinion be real?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: But I guess so, Like what the basis of a lot of the suit was was like, well, you said he approached them, but he approached them, And it's like, you're your parents are a loser, You're a loser. Whoever you impregnate, it's a loser. Like you're all fucking losers, Like I just I don't know pay taxes.
Speaker 4: And that's the thing.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 4: Honestly, the kid had not had that smirk on his face, that would this would be a story. We would never have heard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like we know who this is. Like that's why this idea.
Speaker 1: Like when I've hated and argued with all these guys for decades in comedy and people are like, what do you mean he's such a nice guy, It's like, well, you're an idiot, Like like there's face, Like there's that.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Maybe I've looked that smug in a photo. Who knows, But it's like I know exactly who that kid is and the lawsuits prove it. And now he's speaking at Trump rallies, So like, yeah, like I don't I just don't know why you're not allowed to be judged for the obvious beliefs and actions you have.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So the next case is Shama Alawadi and Shama was threaty two at the time, and she was beaten to death in her home in al kajonekajoone, it's Alcoholne near San Diego after moving there from Michigan. Michigan has some of America's largest Iraqi communities, and so like, you know, moving to San Diego is obviously kind of different. And at first this case was treated like a hate crime, but it was her husband who murdered her. She was an Iraqi woman and her and her husband, Cassim Alhamidi, who is forty eight and then charged with first degree murder. The two moved to the US from Saudi Arabia nineteen ninety five after fleeing Iraq during the First Gulf War.
Speaker 2: It's just crazy to flee a war zone and then come here and get murdered.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that also like that the Bush family, Like these motherfuckers have just been like demolishing and destabilizing the Middle East for decades. Our brand is Crisis, that movie that I love. Yeah, Rosebud's grandfather. It's like crazy that like a couple of these guys, Like it's like the same guys. It's like the same guys. Yeah, because James Baker's been there the whole time. Like it's so crazy. So the Alcohol and Police chief Jim Redman said, after months of hard work, we determined that this homicide was a result was a result of domestic violence, and that's according to the NBC News, she was found bloody and unconscious with multiple skull fractures in the family home March twenty first, twenty twelve, at least six blows to the head with a weapon that they found to be like similar to a tire iron. She died in the hospital three days later. One of their kids' seventeen year old daughter was in her bedroom when the attack took place, and she found her mother and she's the one who called nine one one. It's she and she was a mother of five children. It was a big family. There was a note found next to the body telling the family to go back to where they came from, and of course like calling them a terrorist. Fatima al Hamidi, the daughter, told CNN that an earlier note was left with the house this is our country, not your zoo terrorists. But the note was dismissed by the mom as like a prank and it was not reported, so there's no evidence of it. But a note had been found before, and then this note was found next to her body, but it emerged later through investigation that she was planning to divorce her husband and move with her children to be with relatives in Texas. So the husband, after she passed, went to Iraq and like did a burial and then came back two weeks later, and investigators did not have any reason to keep him in the country at the time, and only when he came back was he seen as a person of interest and with and then through those warrants, is then how they found the divorce papers in his car. So he had the divorce papers but did not fill them out. And they also could not determine his whereabouts at the time of her death. And then also I learned a new word repatriate, repatriot. So the Iraqi government like they did the rapid way to like bring her back for the bear and like helped finance it and stuff like that, if anyone's wondering. But so he was arrested and then November ninth, twenty twelve, so about eight months after and then during deliberations in court, the jurors were reminded of the defendant's timeline and the day of the beating. And I'll be honest, I should have maybe tried to find the court transcripts, but there's not much evidence really, so I wonder what's missing. But like, so Seima called her husband at eight o four am and then videos show a Burgundy Nissan quest going and leaving the home that morning eight fifteen am. The van was seen traveling southbound as Alhamidi returns to the house from taking the kids to school. At nine forty nine, a vehicle matching the description stopped at the curb just north of the intersection of Emerald and Skyview, and then thirty seconds later a pedestrian can be seen moving from the vehicle towards the house and their address was five six four sky View. Then at ten ten am, cell phone records show someone calls Alhamdie's cell phone, but it goes unanswered, and then he's still in his home tower area according to the cell tower at ten ten am and then eleven eighteen am is when he got this call from his daughter after she called nine to one one. There was, however, no forensic evidence linking their client to the crime scene, said the defense. He pled not guilty, of course, but he was found guilty of murder April seventeenth, twenty fourteen. His eldest son is the only person in the family that believes he did not do it. The son, after the verdict was red shouted in court, this is bullshit, This is fucking bullshit. My dad is innocent. He was tried unfairly. Her sister, Marion to San Diego NBC Channel seven, said that she can't help, but remember a strange conversation she had with her sister just days before the slaying, and her sister told her and quote, she did tell me that if the police call you and tell you your sister has died, Mirian, I want you to know it was him that killed me.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 1: He was sentenced on May fifteenth to twenty six years to life in prison with time served for the time he was already in prison, and he can file for like a parole at twenty six years time serve.
Speaker 4: Damn.
Speaker 2: I mean it just like.
Speaker 4: If there's no other evidence, that's you're like, you know, if there's no if there's no evidence that it could have been a delivery driver or whatever, like someone else on camera or someone else.
Speaker 1: But the note, like the fact that the note was left, and like the family knew about the previous note, maybe that was used.
Speaker 2: Like I am really curious about the trick he do the note though.
Speaker 4: They think he wrote the note to make it look like a terrorist, like a like assume not a take attack.
Speaker 2: And hate crime.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because initially, like when this happened, every article is hate crime, possible hate crime.
Speaker 2: Pubsoutle hate crime, possible hate crime, all of them.
Speaker 1: And then like a lot of articles and think pieces about hate crimes and anti Muslim rhetoric and all that. I found one piece that was talking about just race and crime that included Trayvon Martin within it. So like, I don't know, do you know if there's a case right now came with Carmelo Anthony and Texas and he got like thirty five years, but it was two teens fighting, And I need a res more about that case because this black team got thirty five years. And I did see black people posts like we need to sit on juries, so like juris can be fair. But also this kid is dead, so like I want to investigate what happened and like what was going on with that case. But the kid's name is Carmelo Anthony but not related to not the basketball players with a basketball?
Speaker 2: Oh got it?
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, sorry, thirty five years in prison he got just because he's seventeen, but they charged him.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I haven't read any of the pieces.
Speaker 1: I just saw some black people I follow talking about the case and then a kid is dead but it was a fight, So I just haven't looked at it. But without it's everything is so layered. But yeah, I do wonder about everything? Yeah, do I think this man killed his wife? Absolutely? Do I think that depending on the jury or who's involved or biases what happened. Absolutely. And then I haven't looked at the young teen case, but thirty five years for seventeen year old seems like a lot for an at Was it like a fight, a fight gone wrong?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it's it's a stabbing at a track meet, a high school track meet, which is wild. But the one kid said I did it as self defense because I was under like I was sitting on the bleachers and they confronted me and told me to leave, so he thought they were.
Speaker 2: Gonna hurt her.
Speaker 1: And then I read one quote from the dad and corporing, like you think thirty five years is a lot? Like I don't have my son anymore, so it's like, yeah, I don't think you know, there is a dead child, so of course something needs to happen, but thirty five years is.
Speaker 3: A lot.
Speaker 1: But then but then I think about people like Ed Kemper, and I'm like, you should have kept him in there forever. So it's like and that he got out young, so everything is just so And that's where I think race comes to play in it, where like Ed Kemper got to go in and out of prison.
Speaker 4: I know it's also so where age comes to play, because like I do know, seventeen year olds can convey horrible crimes, But like, what is it? Are you a kid at seventeen or are you not? If you can't serve in you can't serve in the military, you can't do all these You have no right to vote or do anything on your own, but you can go to jail with adults. I think this thing has also been getting pressed because some January sixer led a protest saying protect white America about this murder or whatever, this death of this kid, and even the kid, the dead kid's dad denounced it.
Speaker 2: But still like it's going to get into the news that people are, you know, and it's more than it is.
Speaker 1: And at the end of the day, there's like a dead child and a child that's going to be in prison now for thirty five.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he can appeal and another judge in jury will be a little bit more like it doesn't it doesn't sound like they prove beyond a reasonable doubt that it wasn't self defense. He can still go to jail for some time for a manslaughter. Yeah thing, I think, but tough. There is another case.
Speaker 1: So the next one is Yasmin Sawed and she was a college student eighteen at the time, and she alleged that three drunken men had hurled anti Muslim insults at her in a New York subway. She was from new That can't be New Hype Park. I'm sure it's New Hype Park, New Hope Park. I don't know, but but I'm I feel like Googles, Google's changing these words.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're not doing that. I didn't write New Hype Park.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So she was writing the sixth from twenty third in Park on December one, twenty sixteen, after leaving a school event at Baruch College, and not only did she say that they insulted her, but they told her to take off her job and pulled like on the strap of her bag. She said she heard the harassers mentioned the president at the time, but then she was arrested for making a false report to the NYPD. She later admitted she made up the story to get out of a family problem. NBC New York four reported that sources said that she had been drinking with friends and made up the incident to distract her strict father. The NYPD Hate Crimes Task Force had been investigating the case, but one week after the lleged incident, she was reported missing and was found three days later with a bag of clothing. And the charges are filing a fake police report and obstructing governmental administration like CNN tried to contact her legal aid lawyer, Benjamin West, but they couldn't contact him. And also the court documents in the case were sealed because she qualified for mandatory youthful offender status, So I'm not sure what that is. But Albert Kahn, the director of Strategic Litigation at CIAR Care New York, which is the Council on American Islamic Relations, they stressed, like the false reports and quotes, they do not detract from the numerous reports coming from the Muslim community. This one is an ancient stand as a barrier to the numerous New Yorkers who need to come forward when something like this happens. And that's CNN and that is true and real and not a real source. But meforum dot org slash Islamist Watch said must that she had to go through six months of counseling and complete three days of community service. They were miss demeanors, so she didn't go to jail. And I'm sure her dad fucking sucks. At the end of the day she was like, you know, drunk and having a good time and was like, fuck, my dad's gonna be mad at me.
Speaker 2: It's just like, you know what I mean, like layers to it. It's it sucks. It sucks, but I don't know.
Speaker 4: And in this case, it's not like it's not like anybody got arrested, right, Like, they didn't arrest a bunch of innocent harassers right as the guys. So it's like, yeah, you shouldn't obviously do false reports, but no, yeah, no.
Speaker 1: False reports were anti false report here, but I'm pro wasting police time.
Speaker 4: All right, let's get going because we have a great guest today. Our guest today is an actor you may know for her roles on TV shows like The Border, Ransom, and twenty four. She also currently plays district Attorney Justine Turner on General Hospital, but you know her today as counselwoman Nala Nassar. Please enjoy our wonderful conversation with nosnine contractor.
Speaker 2: Well, your kitchens is incredible.
Speaker 6: I'm at my dinner's table. That's my kitchen. Yeah, messy, overdone kitchen. It's like one big room this thing.
Speaker 4: So I know your kitchen was giving me la. But I was like, I know that you sort of you grew up in Canada, right.
Speaker 5: I grew up all over the place, but I definitely did the majority of my schooling in Canada, in Toronto.
Speaker 4: And then you've done a bunch of like Canadian TV shows and stuff right now, John, But I started my career there, Okay, Lettervy.
Speaker 5: I mean I think I truly became Canadian when I did that show. And I got street Crow when I did that show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I was not familiar with it until he did Rivalry and then obviously have become obsessed with Jacob Teary, who directed all.
Speaker 6: The episodes of Letter Can YEAHV mine every single episode?
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, and like now look at him.
Speaker 6: How amazing.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 1: I can't wait they start filming season two in August. I just don't want any paparazzi rooting anything for me. I'm like annoyed that people will.
Speaker 6: Know the girl Nadine made the friend.
Speaker 5: Yes, you was a writer on a show that I was on and then has come since and like stayed at my place a few times with my family, and she was here in LA when her episode air and she kind of went like viral and exploded and she was like, it has me. And I was away at the time and I came back and she's like, I think I understand that I've had a viral moment and I'm like, really, what does that mean. She's like, I mean literally, this episode aired and like all of a sudden, there's all of this interaction online for me, and it's like one show has changed the trajectory of so many people's careers who all had great careers to begin with, you know, like totally deserved.
Speaker 2: But yeah, that's kind of Canada.
Speaker 1: You all know each other because I went to follow Nadine and she was already following me, and then she knows Kathleen Monroe's.
Speaker 2: Been on our pot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all of you Toronto very Yeah, it seems like you all know each other and support each other.
Speaker 6: It's small other it's small.
Speaker 5: I mean, like I feel like, especially if you're from the east Side, like I don't know as many people in Vancouver because it's like such a big country as well, and I've worked there only a couple of times. But if you're from Toronto or Montreal, you we all know each we've all worked together.
Speaker 2: And then what was the moment where you're like, I got to get out of here.
Speaker 6: There was no moment that I got to get out of here. I mean, honestly, the truth is the truth.
Speaker 5: The unfortunate thing is that, you know, the way the Union is set up in Canada, it's like, really Canada is really if you want to make a living, it's like really a producer's landscape. Like in Canada, there are no royalties, there are no residuals. I think that, you know, financially, there is a ceiling there if you're an actor. And I don't know how that's going to change, Like they'd have to change the union. I don't think they're going to do that. And I my husband, who was then my boyfriend, was already down here and I had already you know, I was young, but I had already like done a few guest stars on a TV show I had starred in. We have a Shakespeare rep company there called Stratford, and it's like the biggest Shakespeare rep company outside of London, England where you do like eight shows a week, and I spent two and a half years in that company, playing roles.
Speaker 2: On IMDb it said that you got casts from an open call. For that is that good?
Speaker 1: Because right now there's some viral videos going about around because they're doing like they just did a Spring Awakening open call. And so this act that was in the eight or whenever the original Spring Awakening, she got cast from an open call. So there's like a trend right now where all these actors are talking about how they were cast from open calls and that's a real thing, and it happens.
Speaker 5: And then I went, I went in between my lunch shift and dinner shift that I was working God, and the director was from England and he came to Toronto to hold open call auditions. I didn't even this is just a sidebar, but I didn't even have like you were supposed to prepare like a comedic and a dramatic, and I couldn't even memorize my comedic. And I called my agent and I'm like, I'm just not gonna go. I'm gonna go and make a fool myself, Like I'm working so much right now, it was like during tiff to the Toronto International Film Festival. So I was like working my butt off as a waitress and I'm like, I'm not going to go. I can't memorize the second one, and she was like, just go, who cares. It's an open call, right, So I go and I go in, and you know, it's like I look back on it then it is so amazing. One of them main like, I don't I'm so happy I am the age I am. But one of the amazing things about being young is like that brazen confidence that at least I had, and I guess like also the naivity of not really knowing like who I was speaking to or this and that.
Speaker 6: So I come in like completely confident of being like, Hi, how are you. I'm Nazanine.
Speaker 5: So I only have one piece prepared because I'm a student and I'm working a double and this and that, so would you like to see it? And then they're like okay, great, So I do it and then they're like, oh, we're having callbacks later, Shay.
Speaker 6: I'm like, oh no, I can't. I have to go back to the restaurant and what I can't I've come on my lunch.
Speaker 5: I have to get back to work tonight, and so that director ended up delaying his flight the next day back to England to see me the next morning before I had to go to work again. But it was like that kind of like sexy indifference, I guess, but I wasn't trying to project it. I was just like no, like I didn't think. And I was like, also, this is an audition, Like this is my job, you know, like I have to pay for school. I can't like they're not good, they don't care. So he worked around my waitressing schedule and then I had a callback and it was like an hour and a half long and it was really intense, and he basically made me do all these different things to see what I can do. And then at the end of the callback, he's like, I want to offer you the lead role in my play. And no one's going to believe me that you can do it because you've never done professional theater in your life, let alone Shakespeare.
Speaker 6: But I think you can do it.
Speaker 5: And it ended up being voted like the best play of the year, critically acclaimed, like yeah, it was just changed, it changed my lips. I did that what play was it it was called so it's actually a lesser known Shakespearean play. It's considered one of the problem plays. It's called Pericles. We called it the Adventure of Pericles. It's only been mounted at Stratford. I think this was its second when I did it in the fifty first season. It was its second time only ever because it is a very difficult play in terms of its plot and it kind of takes place all over the world, and you know, you have to have a very broad vision.
Speaker 6: And on how to bring it to a stage for a contemporary audience. But it was amazing.
Speaker 5: And I met my boyfriend who's now my husband, and he was had a series in Canada and a series in la and he was like, you should totally come down to Los Angeles. He's like, you are, like, you are so hot right now, there's no reason. He's like, get your papers. And I got my papers really easily on my work visa, and he was like, come down. And I was really lucky because you know, he was like, you can stay with me, and you know he has he had friends, and I had like a I had a whole system set up thanks to him, obviously, so I'm not saying, like I just came down.
Speaker 2: I was on a whim.
Speaker 5: I mean, it wasn't sure if the relationship was going to work out, but it was, you know, he sort of was like, you should be doing this here.
Speaker 6: There's no reason why you can't do it here. And then it's just then I booked twenty four. That was my first job here, and.
Speaker 5: It was supposed to be two episodes and ended up being twenty one episodes.
Speaker 2: Helly, and that was a hot show and that was such.
Speaker 5: That was one of those like Law and Order, where like you're such a fan of the show and then you get on the show and you're like every day you just have to conceal your own fangirlness, like truly, like I.
Speaker 6: And I came late to twenty four, and my husband was on twenty four too.
Speaker 5: He was more so Brian. He was Chloe's ex husband on the show. He's like the computer genius, but we weren't in the same season.
Speaker 2: We're friends with Mary Lynn.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, she's so her of course, because you guys are comedians. Yeah, she cracky, me so funny and like, I don't know why I went on our Instagram the other day and I saw the latest stuff she's been doing, and I'm like, she's wild.
Speaker 4: So let's talk about this SVU episode this Obviously we've talked a lot about how you've done so much, so many different things, and but this probably came when you were pretty well established in your career, right this cause is.
Speaker 6: Twenty one, yeah, twenty nineteen.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So I just finished three seasons of this CBS procedural called Ransom, and I had just come back from Budapest where we shot seasons two and three, and I had had my second child on that show. And I really have to say, as amazing as that show was, being a new mother and my son was also living with me in Budapest, going to the British International School, and my mom was with me, and I had a nanny and my husband was going back and forth, and even with all of that amazing support, working eighteen hours a day and having a newborn was exhausting. And like all of my co stars were going out and having a great time, and on the weekends, I would be at like some trampoline park with my son and you know, pumping and trying to be down with my baby and see my mother and it was like and I'm like, wow, I really need.
Speaker 6: To do something by myself, I know.
Speaker 5: And this offer came for Sbu and it came literally a month after I got back, and normally I'd try to take like a couple of months off because it had been like three years of this work. I am such a huge fan. That's like my favorite SPU out of all the loan and orders. I've been literally watching it since the moment it came on. It made me want to get I still would take a regular job on a Dick Wolf procedural to Net Like now, if you offered it to me, I think it's just the best.
Speaker 6: I actually like one of those actors who like that kind of work. And it came up and I'm like, twelve days in New York City, Yes, sign me up on a show that I adore in its twentieth season.
Speaker 5: Like it was like a gift from the gods, it was like, and they pay so well, you know, it was such a lovely, handsome offer.
Speaker 2: So I was like, oh, so happy.
Speaker 4: But it's like such a big role. I mean, it's like there's a lot of people that like get offered the big sort of guest star role and they don't really pop up until like later in the episode, but like you're throughout, like.
Speaker 2: This is a really really big part, and it goes back and forth. It really keeps the audience getting the whole time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I hadn't seen that episode since it aired, and even when it aired, I remember I was really sick and I was like, oh, I think I'm on TV and I barely watched it. I saw whatever it was an ADR, So I just rewatched it this morning in anticipation of talking to you lovely ladies.
Speaker 6: And you're right, I mean so much. I was like, wow, I'm not like this quite a lot.
Speaker 4: I was like, you got to be the body on the ground, you're wheeled out in a stretcher, you're in the hospital, the court room, the lesbian bar, you're doing a pre taped confrontation with the teens.
Speaker 5: I mean my I'm doing yeah totally, I'm in the office, like you see so many It's such Actually, it was such a really well fleshed out character for a forty two minute show that has a lot of characters. Yeah, and also on my episode, like Titus Wheeliver was in it, Peter Gallagher, Richard Kine, like I'm in the trailer with Titus and Richard Kine. I'm just like, hey, guys cool, I'm min cool, but oh my god, I'm a bosh. Yeah, Richard Kine, I love him, Like it was just it was such an all star episode. And I love Peter Gallagher. We worked together on COVID Affairs. It was so great to see.
Speaker 6: Him again and have scenes with him. Philip Winchester and I did Chicago p D together.
Speaker 2: We've had him Philip, he's great. Oh he's the best.
Speaker 5: And Philip did a pilot with Carlo Okay season the studio watching the World Cup, but uh so he so he knew Carlo first and then he met me and he was like so so it was so nice that we got to work together again too, Like it was such a such a perfect you know, He's like, yeah, you're right, guest stars, you'd never know what it's going to be, you never know how it's gonna end up in the edit. You know all of those things, but this was such a perfect, lovely role. But you know, it was just this amazing, amazing It was such a gift. And also I remember I had like I wouldn't work full days or I would have like days off.
Speaker 6: So I saw like four plays and then my husband came down for one weekend.
Speaker 5: He came down for his birthday weekend, and we saw Glinda Jackson du king Lear and we had like like thirty six hours in New York together, like just the two of us, like as like new parents. Like it was like it might have been like three thy six hundred hours. Like it was so amazing, you know, like it was just such a I was going to like hot yoga and like running into like Brooklyn on the bridge, and I mean I just.
Speaker 6: Remember being like, wow, this is so restorative. Even though it was hard work. It was so nourishing.
Speaker 1: You're right, because it is an intense schedule. But then to have these like few days off too, because there was this other like other storylines kind of have another.
Speaker 5: Also like as a mother, you know, like you you have time off and then it's just you. I mean, you can really juice your time. I'd like go and go get rush tickets, go see a show, go to dinner, do this. I'd all like my restaurants planned out. I ate such good food, you know, like I was really maximizing my time.
Speaker 1: So watching the episode, what like comes to mind that you were like, oh, like any stories or memories outside memories come flooding.
Speaker 6: Back, I remember. So yeah, it was great.
Speaker 5: So with Philip So he was really good friends with this actor named Sully who was on I think the show was on called blind Spot.
Speaker 6: Yeah that it was an NBC show. So the male lead of that and.
Speaker 5: Philip had done a show together in South Africa weirdly with the same showrunner that I did the show in Budapest with Wow, So we all knew Frank Spot.
Speaker 6: It's who was like the show runner of the Xpos. We all knew Frank.
Speaker 5: So so when Carlo came for the weekend, Philip was like, oh my god, Carlo's here, Like.
Speaker 6: We have to all hang out.
Speaker 5: So we ended up going out with him, and Philip's family wasn't there, but we ended up going with Philip, Sully, Carlo and I and we were on the patio of restoration hardware like that one in Chelsea I think it is, or in Soho, I can't remember, and we just had the best time.
Speaker 6: And they were filmed so weird.
Speaker 5: They were like filming some kind of like I guess commercial for the patio, but they kept having a camera and the camera was like kept coming to us and our table.
Speaker 2: All the professional actors. I'm sure they were like, let's see.
Speaker 5: If you can get and so exactly, and so like we kind of were like why are you pointing the camera atus and the end up like comping our entire day there and we were there for like six hours, like the bill would have been astronomical. So that was that was fun, and then we went into his place afterwards after we saw King Leir.
Speaker 1: You know, we talked to so many different actors that different and they did SVW at like different points in their career. But I wonder if it's because you've had all this experience that you were able to do this big part but then also enjoy your life here, because like some people go there right away and they're so stressed or like it just feels awesome them that you were able to have fun while also doing such.
Speaker 4: A good, very heavy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so so controversial, Like.
Speaker 6: I knew it was controversial at the time, but now it was controversial was.
Speaker 4: Twenty nineteen, and like it's only become more. But the show is always ahead of its time and that kind of stuff. Like the show is always like pointing out stuff that's like like they did episodes about Jeffrey Epstein, like before that was even a commonplace like rumor that was like everybody's you know, but yes, I was like what Lisa is saying is like most of the people we talked to her like, well, I got the gig like the day before and I like flew to New York and I was like memorizing, memorizing, So it's like you able to memorize this massive part.
Speaker 2: And then still go catch the Yeah, that's easy. I do a soap oper Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's like the easiest thing in the world is memorizing.
Speaker 6: Making it good is something everybody that.
Speaker 4: We talked to it does the soaps is like they're like, yeah, have a walk in talks and all that stuff. Like it's yet that it's like, what was that thing on Hacks?
Speaker 5: When did you see that episode where like his mom is on the soap and he's like, I need you to play blah blah blutch more. She's like, honey, I'm on a soap. I did blah blah blah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. When she's in the Fatty eyar Buckle movie, ye movie, that's it. It's such a great it's so true.
Speaker 3: Though.
Speaker 5: No, while I got some advanced notice and I got the script and yeah, I and my husband asked me. I was watching it this morning while I was working out when the elliptical, and you know, my husband kind of like saw the iPad and he was like, what are you doing. I'm like, well, I'm rewatching my episodes when we did this podcast today. And I was like, you know, this is like a very controversial character. And he's like, would you play that same role today?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 5: Great question, thank you, thank you, Carlo so and I and I thought about it, and I was like, you know what, I would because you know, at the very least, art should be entertaining, right, and at the very most it should be thought provoking. And I think that one of the wonderful things about being an actor is you can play people that are this is particularly a very topical, you know subject, but you know, you play people that show different points of view and a different side and a different perspective, and and it should encourage discussion and incite thought like that's that's that's good writing in my opinion, right, And of course, you know, uh, and I never received any weird backlash or anything like that when I played the role at all or when it came out, I mean, not that I'm aware of.
Speaker 6: But now I go online in There's Lifes.
Speaker 5: But but but and I knew what I was doing at the time was totally controversial, right, But I also was so excited, like this is such a three dimensional character. We have, like a woman who found faith later in her life, who serves her city and country, who has a secret that you know, about her sexuality that completely goes against everything she's ever been raised and her faith, you know, who was in a very contentious position professionally, Like I found it to be such a rich role. I didn't even look at the optics of it. I looked at this like very multidimensional, layered woman.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and she's.
Speaker 4: Also she's also sort of playing with that thing that we were just I think like the fact that she was a little bit baiting the media and stuff, you know, Like she was like, this is how this works, this is how this game works.
Speaker 2: Like being in politics. He's putting on a little bit of a show.
Speaker 6: Politicians do now, are you kidding me?
Speaker 4: They all do it.
Speaker 2: They all do it.
Speaker 6: It's like an actressaying, oh, I've never googled myself.
Speaker 4: Like right, and Asians have always done that, but it's like this is so specifically in like the TMZ world of like confrontations and how are we editing things and how are we making things still.
Speaker 2: On social media?
Speaker 4: Amazing.
Speaker 5: It's it's six years old and it's still so relevant, and that is like, that is that is the genius of Dick Wolf and the people that he employs. And you know, I've done a couple of his shows, and same with the fashion, Like he's very particular about men's suits and the way women dress because he's like, I want people to look at this and never think, oh, this was twenty nineteen. I wanted to always feel timeless and fluid in the way it looks because what I'm writing transcends time. It's always going to be top called. And he'd explained that to us, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like we can really only time the up, but we can really He placed the episodes in time based on Olivia's hair, like she has different haircuts, but like total kind of the same wardrobe almost the one has hayone.
Speaker 6: Has the same.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And when I did Chicago p D, they were like talking about like the look of my character. And they're like they went through all these different mastinations, like they were so so hair and this and that, and like I get whatever, it's a TV show and like network exactly is. But like they were like, no, Dick likes it up. Yeah, wear your hair up now, that's that's that's your thing, and like and I was like, oh, this is good, and they were like the hair people like this is going to be your look now for eighty percent of it.
Speaker 1: You know, we talk about the wardrobe so much and like their outerwear, you do. Yeah, I were really obsessed because of all the choices, but I never clocked the timelessness.
Speaker 5: No, No, that's the particularly with the men's suits. He's very particular, Like Philip put to me about that all the time. How like where they break, where the pant like breaks against the shoe and like all this kind of stuff, Like he doesn't want anything trendy.
Speaker 4: He doesn't want anything like cops are really not going to be on trend. I feel not to not to yeah, you know, like detectives and lawyers. I mean later when Rooula Sparza is on the show, I would say he kind of like spruces it up a little bit, but like, yeah, it's.
Speaker 2: Never that was more his character.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, that's such a good that's such a good insight that I Yeah, I totally never.
Speaker 5: Thought of that, but that's why he does it. So they can play forever and no one's ever going to feel it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's really cool that he was on set for so long in Chicago.
Speaker 6: He was on set for Chicago.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but but SVU, it was the showrunners last season that I was doing. Then a new showrunner came came.
Speaker 1: In, so you probably got Warren light maybe No, it was pre war pre Warren coming back because look at the time, the.
Speaker 5: Showrunner from Chicago Justice. Yeah, it's it was the showrunner from Chicago Justice. Justice got canceled and he came to SVU for like a year, and then Warren came back, so he was he was around. But other than the director had directed a whole bunch of SVUS. But you know what, it was amazing because like a lot of people defer to Marishka, she's definitely the boss of that show and rightfully so she was not wrong. Yeah, like you know, but she did it in a really respectful way. She wouldn't like overstep. She'd go and tell the director something and then the director would kind of repeat it, like she'd go through the proper channels. But she has given her life to that show and she is amazing on it.
Speaker 1: And one of the like important themes throughout sview that I not that I like, but there are no perfect victims. No, that is something I thought was important in this episode as well, like your character was victimized no matter what else is going on, and she was hiding things.
Speaker 5: She was hiding things about herself, and it's like, where is the line, like if you are hiding things about yourself, should you not be believed about everything?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Right, Like that's the thing, right, you know? Oh yes, I called the media. I my character called the media. Instigated that boy and that protest went head on for clickbait to further my agenda.
Speaker 6: Does that mean I an engineered everything else?
Speaker 5: And it's great, it's great to plant that doubt in the story, right because the truth is, that's very realistic, that's very believable, that would happen today.
Speaker 4: And I really liked also that, like at the end, your parents were like, we love you about it because we've seen other storylines on su where like people from religious backgrounds, even if they're the victim, their parents are like, you're a disgrace, goodbye, You're out of our lives. And I love that, Like your parents were so supportive of you, even though even at the end someone comes and throws a freaking rock at you. How was shooting that?
Speaker 2: How did you guys? Chrarera Carlo was like.
Speaker 6: Didn't someone throw a brick at you?
Speaker 4: With you? Like?
Speaker 2: And I was like, why are you?
Speaker 4: I couldn't tell what it was, but it looked like it hurt.
Speaker 6: It's a brick, a brick, but it wasn't really, But yeah, but I think it was, like, yeah, it was.
Speaker 5: Like an episode you're supposed to like you're supposed to like stone the right like in the Quran.
Speaker 2: SOA, yeah, that was uh.
Speaker 6: I mean I thought that that was.
Speaker 5: You know, I like the fact that they showed the parents and then that at least there was some balance to it.
Speaker 6: But the truth is, you know, I've played I'm not Muslim.
Speaker 5: I've played many Muslims on TV, and anytime I do play one, I always try to make a conscientious effort of like dealienating this religion and culture to the Western media, which is really based on like faith and love and devotion and not all of those patriarchal misogynistic things that were really imposed by men, not in the religion at all.
Speaker 6: Right, it's like society has done that.
Speaker 5: It's not in the in the Quran like that, even though Sharia law was not you know, it's been interpreted by a man to be that way. So I always try to, you know, kind of break the mold or like break that kind of stereotype. When I played these women, I thought Nola was such a great example of that to a degree. Right, of course, she had to hide who she was, but that's true of people many different situations and religions, right. But the thing at the end, it was for me personally a little bit or sit I'm like, oh, we have to show that kind of like animalistic side. But it was what propelled her husband, her ex husband, to raper, so I guess it was valid in the story, right, right. But yeah, I love any kind of action in TV shows though, so like, yeah, throw a rock at me, hit me with a car, let me hit someone. I'm fine with the mike artistically, I'm fine with it that way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you have any interest in like directing, writing and doing anything like that or not at all. I'm someone that would never want to direct ever. But you mentioned like Murska directing so thought.
Speaker 5: Out of Yeah, I mean I think that if you're on a show for that long, you should definitely be producing and directing for sure. For me, I actually just started my professional career as a writer a couple of years ago. I just sold a script to Hallmark. Oh my god, it was really big. Yeah, and now I'm in development with possibly another two ideas with them, and yeah, maybe three that that's been a really I mean, I'm a big rom com fan, like I love I'm not like a cinophile, right, I love everything, but I've always loved the wrong com and I've always loved the nineties rom com and I feel like no one really makes them anymore. And now we see them on m Ow's like that's what they've become. They don't really like they're not really those classic rom coms. Like, yes, we get some realm comms now, but they're way more comedic, or they're raunchy or this or that, which I love too, but those like days of Julia Roberts, Meg Ryan, you know, I just They really were a big part of my upbringing and really made me fall in love with acting and like I just always want to be that girl, and you know, I do them in the mows that I do. And then I was like, my manager was like, well you should just you know. It was of all these great ideas, you should just write one. I'm like, I can't just write one. What are you talking about to write one?
Speaker 1: Like what is this?
Speaker 5: And so it was like, well, just you know, so I kind of like came up with a few ideas and then we landed on one that really clicked with the executive the last Hallmark I did, and she green lit it and I wrote it and hopefully they'll make it.
Speaker 6: It's a Bollywood dance rom com because they've never done anything like that. Yeah. Yeah, it's like Honey meets like shall we Dance? Oh my kind of thing.
Speaker 2: I have a shall We Dance magnet. It's like a big deal in my family.
Speaker 1: Because so me, my mom and sister got to go to the Oprah Show and it was the shall We Dance? Episode and so it was like a big deal in our family and our One of our listeners made me a little VHS magnet of Shall We Dance?
Speaker 4: Shall We Dance?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Well I love that movie, and like I loved all those dance movies and I danced for ten years, so you know, I've always like that was such a big part of my life. And I was like, oh, well, let me do what what kind of unique spin can I give to it that they haven't seen yet?
Speaker 1: So I need to see a Bollywood rom common hallmark. This needs to happen so fun.
Speaker 2: Well, we'll definitely let you go.
Speaker 1: But your passion, yea so fun job in life is really it's been really a fun interview. She was delightful. I loved talking to her. What obsessed obsessed? I also just love people who can like obvious passion for their job. I mean, you have to be like a working actually it's like hard, but just has fun and likes everyone and connections and it's interested and got the elliptical or husband.
Speaker 2: She's making shrimp curry. I'm like, what the fuck?
Speaker 1: I can't I can't imagine, yes so much and just inspiring open calls like Shakespeare.
Speaker 2: I don't know, I'm obsessed with her. Yeah, she's still like she she said a lot.
Speaker 4: She has a lot of credits.
Speaker 2: Her husband has a lot of credits.
Speaker 4: They work in and they're doing there. If you're a gh person, if you're watching General Hospital, get on over there. What's the town that Pine Valleys where all my children is? What's the town the General Hospitals? And I totally forgot anyway, well yeah that and oh my god.
Speaker 1: So Catherine Blamford, there's like a clip of her on some podcasts but talking about what she did in the summer as like a kid, and so they would watch some show I don't know. Then they would watch Blues Clues and then they would watch Maury and I just thought, it's so funny being a child, cause like that is I watched more Arthur, but like to go from Blues Clues to Maury to Prices of Right, Price is Right? And then she said they would have Spaghettio's for breakfast, and just I saw another clip. I don't know, I have to like look more into the social scientist. But like, and I've been doing this on stage, so I was correct this whole time. But like millennials are the last generation with a touchstone to the old world and untell it. It's like since then everyone's gotten you know, unfortunately less smart yeah unless like less education, computers, technology, all of it. And it is like we just had such a special moment in time and I just feel really grateful. Yeah, that are we knew how to be bored. We were watched these different shows. We would run around outside and we weren't over scheduled, but we could do activities like I don't know, I just feel luckier and luckier every day.
Speaker 4: I mean I'm like, just yeah, like I didn't get a cell phone until I was twenty. I love that I didn't have social media, like none of that. I love that for until I was way more than.
Speaker 2: That because I'll talk to people at audio. They got a phone in fourth grade, you know what I mean. It's Port Charles by the way.
Speaker 4: Port Charles is the town from General Hospital, So if you want to go to Port Charles and check in on nasnine contractor.
Speaker 2: I also loved what.
Speaker 1: She said about her character and the complexities of it and how she played it and just it's really cool.
Speaker 2: I mean, the one thing.
Speaker 1: We just liked her so much, so we kept talking about her. But I wonder what her favorite SVU episodes are and stuff. So she was a fan of the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right. We did get to ask her.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: She was just so interesting. It had such like great answers. I was kind of enthralled.
Speaker 1: So it is all but this little kid, you know, he's gonna cause so many problems in the real world. His family's suing everything, winning all this money. You know, he's gonna be a right wing freak forever, and like it just fucking sucks.
Speaker 4: He'll run for office. This is what's gonna happen now. Is like if you're like a little shitty teen that gets involved in a viral moment, like Kyle Rittenhouse will probably run for office.
Speaker 2: This kid will run for office. Sucks, It really does suck.
Speaker 1: But also the media and how it can't be trusted even like we know this through all the research we do. It's like I could tell his sources real or not, how it's like, or like what the point of a sources because like for something we did, I was reading and it was A and E which and the way it's not it's not written as the news, and it is strange and all of it's strange and everything is twisted and you can't really believe anything anymore. You have to double check, which I hardly ever do unless it's for our job, and I don't know. It's just like this was complex and that they're talking about Israel like Palace side and that's whatever Ite says. It's like it's not a new issue. It has been around. Veet mentioned it back in the day, Like any time I hear it now in the past, it's like, fuck, like this has been such a background of our lives or forefront, depending on who you are and how connected you are. But like, yeah, and just the timelessness of the wardrobe is was such an important thing for me to hear because we always talk about the timelessness of the episodes and the issues, how they're ahead of time, but also like can be relevant today and how that's seen through the fucking clothes.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm just like obsessed, I think.
Speaker 1: I mean, like we could still be amazed by this thing that we talk about NonStop all the time, and and you know what, Like I was kind of there's always a dread in me before I have to start doing research, and like then the moment I start.
Speaker 2: I'm like, oh, yeah, I'm obsessed, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Because I was in bed this morning, like starting to research stuff that I was like, wait, this is so fucking and then I ran downstairs and sat at the coffee shop just energized as fuck. It's just like getting started on work is always kind of hard, but it is cool to just be invigorated always by the episodes, what they talk about and how it's gotten worse.
Speaker 2: We didn't we didn't know that he would get another term. Yeah, yep.
Speaker 4: We thought we were just making TV about a moment in time, but then it repeated itself, and just seeing the.
Speaker 1: Red hat in the episode, it fucking fox me up. It fucks me up. Yeah, it's like, we'll be out of it soon. We'll be out of it soon. We have to just keep thinking that time does go by quickly. But let's get into our what would Sister Peg do this week's you know, our weekly segment where we direct you to an organization, a documentary, an article, something sorry and article one time I said a article and somebody got mad and article anything to give you more info about what we talked about in today's episode. And this week we wanted to point you to the organization Combatants for Peace. It is an egalitarian, binational, grassroots movement committed to nonviolent action against the Israeli occupation and all forms of violence in Israel and the Palestinian territories. It is the only peace group worldwide that was founded and run by ex combatants on both sides of an active conflict. They just celebrated twenty years since they were founded, so this is an organization that's been working for a long time. They have a lot of information on their page, ways to just learn more, ways to get involved, to don't so you can head over to cf piece dot org.
Speaker 4: That's for combatants for piece dot org. It's cfpiece dot org and that will be linked in our show notes and a story as always goes up to day this episode comes out, and then those stories get saved on our Instagram page, which is that's messed Up pod in our WWSPD highlights.
Speaker 2: Amazing. Thank you for that. And next week we'll be doing Swimming with the Sharks.
Speaker 1: Wonder who show ran that one from season twenty one, episode fifteen.
Speaker 2: So Love's back, baby Warren Light, see you guys next week.
Speaker 4: Bye bye.
Speaker 1: That's messed Up as an exactly right production. If you have compliments you'd like to give us, or episodes you'd like us to cover. Shoot us an email it That's Messed uppod at gmail dot com. Listen to That's Messed Up on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. Follow the podcast on Instagram at That's Messed Up Pod, and follow us personally at Kara Klank and at glitter Cheese. As always, please see our show notes for sources and more information. Thank you so much to our senior producer Casey O'Brien and our associate producer Christina Chamberlain, and to.
Speaker 4: Our mixer John Bradley and our guest booker Patrick Cottner, and to Henry Kaperski for our theme song, and Carly Geen Andrews for our artwork.
Speaker 1: Thank you to our executive producers Georgia Hardstart, Karen Kilgarriff, Daniel Kramer, and everybody at Exactly Right Media. Dun Dun