Speaker 1: Welcome to Off the Cup.
Speaker 2: Later in the show, I'll talk to my friend Van Jones about some big questions. What's next for the Democrats, what's next for the Republicans, what's next for our country.
Speaker 1: It's a really good conversation. I think you'll really like it. But first, let's talk about what happened this week. Okay.
Speaker 2: It was a doozy of an election in Texas. I covered it Tuesday night. The MAGA candidates won and it wasn't close, both in the Senate race and and the race for ag the I'm gonna call them Maggie the Maggie the Maggie ist candidates beat the less Maggie candidates.
Speaker 1: Now, are we surprised by that in Texas? I'm not.
Speaker 2: I mean, for all of the Dems dreams of turning Texas blue somewhere, it's still a very red state, Okay. And I've been talking to Republicans in Texas for the past few months to try to get a sense of where voters were both between you know, the two right candidates in the Senate, but also you know where they are with regard to a Democrat winning Texas Senate, which would be the first statewide win for a Democrat since I think nineteen ninety three or four, which is just crazy, but it's still a very it's a very red state, and Trump is still king there.
Speaker 1: There's just no question about it.
Speaker 2: So bye bye John Cornyn Ken Paxton is now the face of MAGA, of the Mega movement, because in MAGA, you can only move in the direction of more Maga. Right, It's like cow bell, we need more cow Bell. They always need more Maga. And just when you think someone can't get Maggie enough, they they want more Maga. They want it magiar. And I've used this analogy for years when describing Trump's Republican Party. It's like those cans of orange juice we grew up with.
Speaker 1: Did you have.
Speaker 2: These cans of orange juice concentrate in your freezer and you're meant to add water to them so that they expand and dilute, and so you're not drinking just straight syrupy, mouthpuckering orange juice concentrate, but delicious, balanced orange juice. Trump's Republican Party is that can of orange juice, and they are adding less and less water to it.
Speaker 1: And that project is actually made to.
Speaker 2: Make it pure concentrated Trump. That's what they want out of the Republican Party. They just want it more and more concentrated. So back in Trump's first term that that project really started. The Jeff Flakes, the Charlie Dents of the party, moderate Republicans who were appalled by what Trump was doing for this reason or that and said so, well, they were pushed out. Then came the Kinzingers and the Chenese, anyone who wasn't sufficiently Maggie, who wouldn't go to like cartoonish lengths to defend Trump and everything he did, and said.
Speaker 1: Well, they were shown the door.
Speaker 2: And when I tell you how remarkable that is a political party actively pushing members out, actively shrinking the tent purity, testing its own members not on like conservative policy, but on their loyalty.
Speaker 1: To one guy.
Speaker 2: It's just not a thing that's like happened in modern American politics, because.
Speaker 1: No one would advise.
Speaker 2: The leader of a political party to shrink the ten or kick members in good standing out, or remake the party so that it's completely condensed and small and concentrate it like politics is a game of addition, not subtraction, right, and Trumps only one every time He's won because he was actually able to get more voters into the fold that Republicans had not gotten before. But inside the MAGA base, it was kicking people out, which is just it's just crazy. I'll never get over that decision. But that's what they did and they're still doing it. So. Ken Paxton, who's a truly, truly loathsome figure who was indicted on multiple corruption charges, has faced legal battles for nearly a decade.
Speaker 1: Was impeached by his own party.
Speaker 2: The Republican controlled Texas House of Representatives voted one hundred and twenty one to twenty three to impeach him on charges of bribery, dereliction of duty, an abuse of public trust, who was embroiled in a nasty divorce, who's had multiple mistresses allegedly. Well, he got Trump's endorsement in the nomination for Senate over John Cornyn, a four term incumbent who was very popular and liked in Texas. He voted with Trump one hundred percent of the time. There was absolutely no good reason to contest that seat.
Speaker 1: It was safe.
Speaker 2: It was going to go to corn In. It was going to be a Republican seat. After November twenty twenty six.
Speaker 1: In fact, I think if.
Speaker 2: Ken Paxton had decided not to primary Cornyn, I'm positive that James tell Rico, the Democratic nominee, wouldn't have even bothered to run. Okay, but he did. He saw an opening and he thought, but could I be so lucky? Could the Republicans give me such a gift in Ken Paxton?
Speaker 1: There's no way.
Speaker 2: Surely, surely they wouldn't be dumb enough to nominate a guy like Ken Paxton when there's a guy like John Cornyn right there. Surely someone smart is running the Republican Party in Texas.
Speaker 1: And will not allow will not allow this to happen. But he's wrong.
Speaker 2: Republicans did nominate Ken Paxton. That's after Donald Trump endorsed him about a week before the election. And that's all it took. Trump gave, gave the word, and Paxton walked away the winner. So mag is celebrating this. They're out there pointing to Trump's lock on the party. His grip on the party is influence his ability to make kings out of out of Ken's. But to the Republican Party, I say, be careful what you wish for. This could end up being one of the biggest blown opportunities, biggest self owns, worst political collapses in recent memory, worse.
Speaker 1: I can't even think of something.
Speaker 2: I mean, this could be the big enchilada of self owns.
Speaker 1: How do we get there?
Speaker 2: Let's start by imagining you're John Cornyan, because he's going to be a problem for Trump too. You're a popular incumbent. You've never lost an election in twenty three years. Over those years, you've enjoyed as much as a seventy percent approval rating among Republicans in Texas, your base. You're primaried by the states sitting scandal ridden Attorney General Ken Paxton. You managed to best him in the primary in March. That's right, John Cornyn beat Ken Paxton in March. But neither candidate had a fifty percent threshold. So it goes to a runoff, and you're John Cornyn. And despite voting with Donald Trump one hundred percent of the time, one hundred percent, and despite the urging of your Senate Republican colleagues two picked on Cornan, Trump endorses the other guy, the scandal ridden guy, and at the last minute, and then he wins in all blowout, effectively retiring you.
Speaker 1: Com November. What do you John Cornyn do now.
Speaker 2: Well, you're still in office until November, and that's the first problem for Donald Trump. Cornyn is joining some other recent casualties of Trump's ire Tom Massey, Senator from Kentucky, who is beat by Ed Golrain in his primary, Senator Bill Cassidy, who lost his primary in Louise, Sienna.
Speaker 1: They could all be a.
Speaker 2: Thorn in Trump's side for the rest of their term. And they're not alone. Ran Paul's in there, Tom Tillis is in there. These are beleaguered Republicans on the outs with Trump, but they're around.
Speaker 1: Until at least November.
Speaker 2: They could keep Trump from passing legislation, getting war and ballroom funding, confirming judges and cabinet appointments. I mean, they could be a problem for Trump, and there is more of them than Republicans can afford to.
Speaker 1: Lose on a vote. Yeah. That's fun to think about, isn't it.
Speaker 2: And I'm really hoping that Cornyn and Cassidy and Massy until us like band together and decide to just be a huge pain in the ass for Trump when his pet projects come up in the Senate. They have enoughing to lose don't be emasculated. Cucks still trying to get in his good favor. He doesn't care about you, that's obvious, So be assholes. I hope they turn out to be assholes these last months in office because their service and their loyalty were not rewarded. They owe Trump nothing.
Speaker 1: Okay. The other thing.
Speaker 2: That Trump's done to the party, which could end up being a huge self own, is forced the GOP to spend millions more than it wanted to, like millions, because Trump's primary against Massey cost extra money. They'll have to spend millions to defend the indefensible Ken Paxton in Texas against attacks from James tall Rico and the left. They'll have to spend millions to do that when they didn't have to because John Cornin.
Speaker 1: Was right there.
Speaker 2: He had a safe seat in a safe district in a safe state. Carl Rove was on Fox and he pointed out today also that Paxton is also just like a terrible fundraiser. He said, he's going to suck money from other crucial races around the country. Yeah, who wants to give money to Ken Paxton? Gross? He also pointed out that Paxton ran behind the rest of the statewide Republican ticket. In his last two campaigns. He trailed all seven statewide GOP candidates in twenty eighteen by an average of about one hundred and seventy seven thousand votes, and all six in twenty twenty two by an average of one hundred and fifty four thousand votes. And that was all before most of the scandals surrounding Ken Paxton became public and before the Republican run Texas House impeached him in twenty twenty three.
Speaker 1: He was never a good candidate and.
Speaker 2: Things are only going to get worse because I just want to point out this is some excellent tea if you want to have a good weekend. This this news I'm about to tell you is gonna is gonna speak it into existence. Ken Paxton's divorce hearings begin in a few weeks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that right.
Speaker 2: Ken Paxton's ugly, brutal, bitter divorce, in which his wife cited was on biblical grounds. Those hearings begin in a few weeks. Their divorce records are unsealed. This will be public all the dirty details that they're already out.
Speaker 1: But we're going to get more as this divorce.
Speaker 2: Uh goes to trial just a few months before the election.
Speaker 1: Like, isn't that great? Isn't that like?
Speaker 2: What impeccable timing to run for higher office in the middle of a nasty divorce in which you are being accused by your wife of serial adultery and then using your political office to hide your affairs, including one of which was allegedly with a staffer.
Speaker 1: Impeccable timing.
Speaker 2: This is a gift to us from the timing gods that Ken Paxton, again, a loathsome human being, will have to go through his divorce proceedings publicly while he's running for office in a seat Republicans didn't.
Speaker 1: Have to contest. Yeah. Tell Rico meanwhile is sitting pretty.
Speaker 2: Democrats have been trying, as I said, to turn the seat blue for years, and with Paxton rather than Cornyn, they have their best shot in a long time. Telrico's incredibly popular and he's raised a ton of money since Trump turned really him and Stephen Colbert into like resistance heroes over It was that it was Colbert's interview with tall Rico that got Trump's sites set on Colbert and getting Colbert out of there, and in the process it made James Tall Rico, a household name James tell Rico, was pulling well behind Jasmine Crockett in Texas in the Democratic Party before Trump decided to make him a darling. Yeah, yeah, he has that, he has that effect. Telrico and Democrats are thrilled that Paxton got the nomination. They will spend their considerable capital painting Paxton as a corrupt and ethically challenged deadbeat who could be indicted in the future and exploiting.
Speaker 1: The rift.
Speaker 2: In the Republican Party that this this primary created. Texas Republicans are divided a lot of corn and loyalists who thought this is stupid, he is great, leave him alone. And then others, you know who went with Trump and went with Paxton and decided again to pour a little, a little water out of the Orange concentrate. How Maggie, can we get So it's a party divided in Texas. Polls and prediction markets after Tuesday's Paxton nomination, Uh well, they got a lot better for Democrats once once he got once.
Speaker 1: He got the win.
Speaker 2: Poly market gave Tallarico a forty seven percent chance of beating Paxton after Paxton's Tuesday win, within within striking distance. They gave Paxton a fifty four percent chance of winning. Cook Political Report moved this race from likely Republican to lean Republican, that's downgrading Paxton's chances, and an April poll from the Texas Politics Project at UT gave Tallerco an eight point edge over Paxton in a general election matchup.
Speaker 1: We haven't even let me. Let me put it this way.
Speaker 2: I know a lot about Kim Paxton because it's my job to write cover these primaries.
Speaker 1: I have to cover all the people I know. Most people do not know what I know about Ken Paxton.
Speaker 2: They're about to because you just got catapulted to, you know, the national spotlight. We don't even know everything there is to know about Ki Paxton. We're going to find out a lot more during this divorce. Everyone's going to learn a lot more about Ken Paxton. And I just can't It's like, this is going to be something to watch. This terrible person, terrible candidate could give Democrats their first shot at winning a statewide seat in Texas in decades. And if tall Rico manages to pull off this like unimaginable thing, it's going to be because of Trump and his short sighted meddling into what could have been a safe seat had Cornyn been the nominee.
Speaker 1: Paxton is a very risky bet in.
Speaker 2: The general election, and Trump hasn't always delivered on his endorsements. Remember Roy Moore in Alabama. Remember herschel Walker in Georgia. Those guys were absolute freak shows, and Trump backed them to the bitter end and Democrats won. Democrats won in Alabama and Georgia. Okay, they can win in Texas, which is a crazy thing to say. It's a crazy thing to say, but they can thanks to Donald Trump and Ken Paxton.
Speaker 1: Here's another good point Carl Rove made on this. He said, the.
Speaker 2: President's endorsement still settles primaries, but his record in general elections isn't so good. In the twenty twenty one runoffs for Georgia's Senate seats, he discouraged supporters.
Speaker 1: From turning out.
Speaker 2: Then in twenty twenty two, he endorsed subpar Senate candidates in Arizona, Georgia, and Pennsylvania.
Speaker 1: Democrats won all five of those contests.
Speaker 2: If Republicans had won those, they might have a fifty seven to forty three majority today. But they don't because, like Rove said, Trump might be king in the primaries, but in the general it's a different story, because, of course it is when our primaries are increasingly giving us the most extreme candidates, and then they have to pivot to a general election to win all voters.
Speaker 1: Of course, that candidate.
Speaker 2: Isn't going to translate very well in a general election. Ken Paxton is not going to translate well in a general election. Let me tell you that. So look, Paxton's win this week. Win, I'm putting it in quotes. Win could end up being like a peer victory at best.
Speaker 1: At worst, could be a disaster for the party.
Speaker 2: Imagine if the Dems take the Senate in November by one boy, will Trump's endorsement of Ken Paxton reek, then you won't be able to wash the stink off of that endorsement. Now, he obviously doesn't care about this because he doesn't care about the midterms. I've been saying that for months because it's so obvious he doesn't care about the midterms. Well, he actually came out and said it this week. He was being asked about Iran, whether the unpopularity of that war could impact midterms. He said, I don't care about the midterms. He doesn't if he did, he wouldn't be imperiling Republicans with billion dollar ballrooms and slush funds and primary safe seats. He doesn't care. But Republicans care about the mid terms. They care personally, they want to keep their seats. They care medically, they want to keep their majority. But look, Trump's tomfoolery and Tom tom fuckery could absolutely kill their majority.
Speaker 1: And I am here for it. I am so here for it.
Speaker 2: Okay, when we come back and interview with Van Jones, don't go anywhere. Welcome back to Off the cop. I'm joined now by my friend Van Jones.
Speaker 1: Welcome Van, Hello buddy.
Speaker 2: We see a lot of each other, but it's really nice to have you here because the thing I'm thinking about, maybe the most right now, is what comes next for us as a country. What comes next for Democrats, what comes next for Republicans, what comes next for voters. Over the past ten years, we've watched Trump just dealing with the right for a second, like totally dismantled the Republican Party, the conservative movement, the ones underpinned it feels a bit irrelevant. The thing that's holding up the modern right today is a little nationalism and whatever Trump just said, if I'm looking at the ingredients list, it's a little nationalism and whatever Trump just said.
Speaker 1: So when he's out of office, does the right who does the right become?
Speaker 2: Is it the party of JD JD Vance whose I see him sort of like as an empty vessel. He'll be whatever Maga wants him to be in the moment. Then there's Marco Rubio, who I think would attempt to sort of bring the party back to some kind of version of twenty sixteen. Marco more muscular foreign policy, maybe more a more optimistic kind of populism.
Speaker 1: I don't even know if that's what they want, though. I think Tucker Carlson's going to run.
Speaker 2: He's working on creating a Trump alternative lane that maybe delivers on what Trump promised but didn't accomplish. Right, he'll be the actual America first president that ends ties to Israel, makes nice with Russia. He'll be the true upholder of Judeo Christian values. We'll talk about the left too, but first, you have such a good sense of where voters on the ground are, what their anxieties are, what their hopes are, what's building under the surface. Do you think they want more angry populism.
Speaker 1: Do you think they want a caretaker?
Speaker 2: Do they want to take Trump's project to its logical sort of nihilistic conclusion in search of more normalcy. What do you think comes next as we're gearing up for twenty twenty eight On the right, I.
Speaker 3: Mean I look at the world somewhat differently in that I just try to figure out what everyday people are feeling. And I think people there's a lot of economic anxiety that is getting more and more profound because people don't see how they're going to People don't see how they're going to work their way out of it. Yeah, where people used to think, Okay, well I'm behind on my bills, but I can add a job, I can cut an expense, I can add a roommate, I can do something nothing that is available, or I can buy some crypto, or I can bet on polymarket, or I can do something increasingly people they fire, or I can you know, just max out my credit card.
Speaker 2: Or can I just add one before you continue? Or I can count on Trump to turn things around. I think that was a belief in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think people have fired all weapons at this point. Economically, and they and they're worse than before. You're starting to see people when people stop paying their car Note that's a very bad sign, because people need their cars to go to work, to get their kids. You're starting to see things starting when people start not paying their credit card bills. So you're starting to see that wave starting to build of just real economic desperation. And then you add to that all this concern about what AI is going to do to the people who have been pretty secure for the past twenty thirty forty years in the white collar sections. Then you add to that nobody's kids getting a job. They're not getting a good job coming out of high school, coming out of college, good kids, hardworking kids, the kids that didn't get in trouble, who didn't do a bunch of dumb stuff. Those are the ones who are having a very hard time. So I just think you're going to have people sitting on a white hot stove, and so any form of populism will get it if you are hearing. I think you're going to see people focused a lot on the billionaires and the trillionaires and the AI of it all and that kind of thing. And I think that Trump hasn't done awful lot of favors by just being so close and cuddly with people that are doing super well. Other people are not doing very well. And so, uh, you know, I think that I think the wheel is still in spin in terms of who is going to be able to capture that and speak to it. But uh, you know, all the cultural stuff, and you know all that stuff it you know, the white nationalism, those things which you know I worry about a great deal, all the anti Jewish stuff, the anti Israel stuff, it's bubbling up. All those things get you know, they have their own dynamic, but they get way more force when people are trying to figure out why why don't I have? What I need is who who cannot blame and a so you gotta have a blame in shame constituency out there, both sides. And so it takes real leadership in situations like this. You know, it's rare and frankly, in the last century we produced world class leaders, I mean on the right and the left. I mean you had you know, FDR. You had Nelson Mandela, you had Ronald Reagan, you had Margaret Thatcher, you had Churchill. You had world class leaders that you know, and and we still barely made it out of the last century alive, right, and we still barely And now we're a quarter the way into the new century. And you don't see a single leader like that on the planet. Maybe Zelenski, you know, in a good day. I mean, you can hunt high and low, and instead you have I think some of the worst leaders on the world stage that we've ever seen. I think Trump category. Know, he is definitely in that category. Bb net and Yahoo in that category, Putin is in that category. G and from my point of view, is still in that category. Though you know China is doing, you know, pretty well economically. You just have a whole bunch of terrible leaders at maybe the worst time. And so who's going to break you out of that? Under the west And so far I haven't seen yet the person who comes in just orthogonal to all this nonsense. Here's here's a positive vision the country can work on together and get ourselves back on the right track for working people. I just haven't seen it yet.
Speaker 2: Before I ask you about the left, you've talked a lot about Trump's ability to capture attention and the attention economy, and no one's been able to do it like him over on the right. How do you see the right trying to capture attention as we get up to twenty twenty eight with Trump still in office, probably not wanting the attention off him, even.
Speaker 1: If his heir, a parent, whoever that is, is running.
Speaker 3: Look, part of the thing I think is hard for normies to track is that a lot of this is happening, a lot of the fight for attention is happening on a much broader information warfare landscape then we're used to. I mean, we used to think, oh, you know ms NBC versus CNN versus Fox, that was the arena. Yeah, and now I mean that's a microscopic part of the overall terrain. I mean when you have you know, someone like a Hassan Piker on the left who's reaching you know, tenion million, yeah, twenty million people, and you know, my beloved Anderson Cooper is reaching one million people. Right, that's a that's not a it's just a statement about how broad the information landscape is. You know, the battles take place on Twitch, the battles that play take place, you know with these streamers, the battles that take place on YouTube, among influencers that those of us in the mainstream Normanis have never heard of, but are reaching way more actual human beings than the entirety of mainstream media. I mean, you take someone like, you know, I show Speed, you know this, you know, cute black kid who his worst week is better than CNN's best week. And he's just like a cute black kid who just like you.
Speaker 1: Know, like racing animals.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, but but but but Speed went, but Speed went to Africa and shut the whole continent down. I mean, it's just nuts. And so so I just think, first of all, in this fight for attention, I think it's important for kind of the normies to recognize it ain't a fight between the New York Times and Wall Street Journal. That ain't the fight. It's a massive, you know, set of podcasts, streamers, YouTube shows, you people with accounts on x Instagram.
Speaker 1: It's flatten completely.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so in that world, you know, you know, horror shows like Candice Owens and Tucker Carlson are competitives, real competitive, real competitive, And so I don't have enough visibility on any given day into what's happening you know in the deep. You know, you just call them fever swamps. But now they're not the beaver swamps. That's just the content. That's a massive continent of conversation. And so I think likely the likely case, unless we build some better tools for just monitoring and listening and understanding the world, I think likely we're going to be surprised by the kinds not just kinds of individuals. I worry less about the individuals, but the kinds of arguments that that that that take hold. This anti Jewish stuff is really terrifying. Yes, and they can call it anti Zionism and call anti Israel. But you can't tell the difference if you just if you just think, here's an anti Jewish bigot, Yeah, here's an anti Zionist zealot, and here's like a right wing conspiracy theory that's seriously doesn't like Israel and then just mix up the you can't tell the difference. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Also on the same Yeah.
Speaker 3: So you can say, well, I'm not against jew Jews, I'm just against Israel. Well, then you need to make it very clear.
Speaker 1: Yeah, distinguish your message.
Speaker 3: Just distinguish your message. And they're not remotely interested in doing that. And that's true on the right and the left. Yeah, and whenever you see anti Jewish hatred bubble up in a society, the next thing, the next scene is never a good scene.
Speaker 1: It's not a good scene.
Speaker 2: Esh.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's talk about the left. The Democrats are struggling.
Speaker 2: The DNC autopsy was a mess, both the rollout and the actual document. People are calling for Ken Martin to step down, and that's you know, I have no joy in discussing that. In fact, I have a lot of anger and fear about the state of the Democratic Party because as I look at the right and how dangerous I think they are, well, the right, the left better figure something out, and they're not there.
Speaker 1: What are you making of sort of the mess on the left? Right?
Speaker 3: Now? You know, we have similar dynamics in our party. You know, obviously I'm a a proud Democrat and I'm never, never afraid to criticize, you know, my side of the aisle. I think that you have a few factors. You do have this broader information landscape that a Hassan Piker, for instance, can you know, dominate and do very well. Yeah, you have a mom, Donnie, you know who I think even this time last year was an own to most people, and it's now you know, uh, you know, went from less than one percent am id to a global celebrity. I talk to people who've been to Europe and people are wearing Mom Donnie t shirts in Europe. I mean that gives you a sense of how volatile and how unpredictable this information marketplaces. And so the the again, the armies, the mainstream, the central left. You know, people like myself have no answer, zero answer to Sanpiker, to Mom Donnie and should expect to get continue to lose continued mind share to that side of the aisle. I think AOC is uh increasingly popular. There's there's some disaffection with her on the far left. I think that she's you know, moderated too much. I don't see it, but you know, but they do, but they do, and so but I don't think it's going to cause her any problems because there's there's no So do you see an ALC candidacy in a world where all the middle is chopped up between you know, everybody from you know Kentucky governor to you know Pete Bootages to Gavin too, you know, Wes Moore. If the middle is chopped up twelve different ways than who runs on the left. So you probably have a row Kana and but you may have an ALC. And if if ALC has the entire left to ourselves, well everybody else is just shredding themselves over policy minushawn healthcare. You get very interesting primary in two thousand and eight. What I see is that there is this age problem in our party. Yeah. You know, look, I'm in my late fifties. Corey Booker is in his late fifties. Well, so we're still considered somewhat young. Yeah that's nuts, you know, like that's nuts. Corey Booker is still considered like a young rising star, Like, how the hell is that possible? You know, you know, you know, Corey and I've known each other since the early nineties. Yeah, you know, one of my closest you know, buddies in politics.
Speaker 1: Yeah, quarter century ago.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, more more not.
Speaker 2: To put on it, yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So, and so there is this age problem. Part of it is that, you know, you have a kind of you know, once in a century talent, like an anti Pelosi who, whatever people feel about her, it was one of the most effective legislators ever. Hard to just push her off the stage, and then the Congressional Black Caucus in particular is a has been a pository of people who have tremendous esteem uh in the in the black community in particular, and Democratic Party more generally. So it's kind of hard to get these people out of the way. Yeah, but now you pay a price, yeah, because it's very hard to convince people that a party made of a people who've been around this law is gonna.
Speaker 1: Do something different, right, Well, and we've seen them not yes.
Speaker 3: And world's history was determined by two people wanted to stay tune law yeah, with Bitter Getinensburg and Joe Biden. Yeah, decided to stay too law yep. And and so.
Speaker 1: And that's painful.
Speaker 3: It's very painful. And so you know, I didn't know with Britty Ginnisberg, but you know, in the bomb administration. You know, everybody says I was in the Oboma administration. Yeah that's true, but I worked for Joe Biden. That was you know, that was who I worked for, and so you know, I am you know, it was just painful to see him make a decision that was just so ill advised and and open the door. I mean, he now just becomes like a shortcomings in his failures define him more than his great success. He had just decided to leave after the first term, he'd beyond Mount Rushmore because except for the inflation, like he you know, he would have restored the American Republic. He would have passed a bunch of good stuff and.
Speaker 1: Maybe gotten another Democrat elected, and.
Speaker 3: Then maybe got another Democrat elected. And instead, you know, he's like below Jimmy Carter in the minds of a lot of people.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately well, and that inability to try different things, to do different things has manifest on the left in a few ways. I think, you know, Mamdannie's success I covered that race is a big warning to the party because he won without the party for the most part. He had a lot of backing from the Democratic Socialists, but almost no support from the Democratic Party.
Speaker 3: And over in it didn't matter.
Speaker 2: And it didn't matter, and over in Maine, I'm seeing sort of a similar thing. Like Democrats in New York really wanted Cuomo, right, that was Schumer's pick, so they didn't want to help mum Donnie.
Speaker 1: He won without them.
Speaker 2: In Maine, Schumer picked Janet Mills to run against Susan Collins.
Speaker 1: That was not what the people wanted.
Speaker 2: Now they're stuck, probably with Graham Plattner as the presumptive Democratic nominee. We'll see how that goes. Maybe he pulls off a Mum Donnie.
Speaker 1: Maybe not.
Speaker 2: I'm looking at LA and Democrats there. Whatever you think of Spencer Pratt put that aside. Democrats have decided LA is great. We're going to fight for the status quo. We're going to fight against this reality star newcomer who's identifying all the problems that just normal people can see with their own eyes.
Speaker 1: We're going to dellvoter la is great.
Speaker 2: You want the incumbent mayor to stick around, and if you don't want her, maybe you want the incumbent city council woman to become, you know, the next the next mayor. It's just this fighting for the status quo that I think has really disappointed average voters.
Speaker 3: You know, I had a chance, when I was a young guy to be in the room with Tony Blair and Bill Clinton. I was very young and they were at the peak of their powers, and you know, a bunch of up and coming political kids. But Tony Blair said something in that meeting that I've always kept in my mind, he said. He says, what happens is that the right wing comes on so hard. They are so destructive, they are so aggressive, that the tendency is to want to defend the institutions from them, yes, and to defend what has made the country great and strong, to defend common sense and reason. But you wind up seeming like you're defending the status qua right and that you always have to be on the march for reform. That's the most important message that you can say to people, is that you're not satisfied with the status quo, but you have better answers for change, you know. And when you get pushed off of that and you're just reacting to the reaction and the reaction of the reaction to the last crazy thing that they said, then you're playing into their hands. And I think Tony Blair and Bill Clinton in their generation were able to convince people that they want to preserve the best but fix the rest. And if you don't show that passion for people, I think, you know, to me, if I sometimes find myself a little bit at odds with my party or kind of almost a strange from my party, is that I don't really give a fuck up about it. I don't give a fuck. I was never a politician. Yeah, I had one job in government, it was for Barack Obama for less than a year. Other than that, I've been at grassroots you know, activists, you know till you know people you know forget. I did twenty years working in criminal justice, prisons, juvenile halls, jails. Uh, you know, went to jail with Apple Aschian coal miners, fighting against coal companies. You know, I come out of you know, real grassroots fights, and the Democrats were frankly never that to help them, like a lot of times, like in California, fighting against a prison system. You're fighting against Willie Brown and Jerry Brown and Gray Davis. You know, we built more prisons in California than they built in Texas and close closed fewer than Texas has on the downside. So if you're me, you know, look, I've you know, fighting against Democrats who had the head up there but and didn't understand what was happening at the grocer's level. Has been my entire career, right, and so you know you're not surprised and just and not beholden. Yeah, right, you know, when we passed the First Step Act under Donald Trump, which by the way, got uh now, sixty thousand people out of federal prison. I didn't say sixty people, said sixty thousand people out of federal prison. Helped to form you know, it was a part of that coalition, you know, included a Jared Kushner, included a New Gingrish, included a Nancy Pelosi, included a jakeem jeffrees. Why are we able to do it? Because we're in every district there's some family who's got somebody locked up for some stupid ass reason. Yeah, and they don't care if you're a Democrat or Republican. Can you help my child?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: And we pulled together that coalition in red states and blue states, and we got eighty seven US Senators to vote to reduce the federal prison population. Now, that doesn't come from being a loyal Democrat or a loyal Republican, or or an anti Democrat anti Republican. It comes from caring about everyday people. And so that's that's where I come from. And so when I see the party doing stuff it's I don't think is smart. I don't have a problem complaining about it because Democrat Democrats have have. You know, they're they're to my point of view, they're better than the alternative, but they've been disappointing for a while.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, and a lot of people believe that.
Speaker 2: And and that goes to my next question about this asymmetry and appetites among the bases on the left and the right. I've been saying for a long time the left has a problem because its voters hold it to a much higher standard than the right holds its leaders. The left is mad at Joe Biden, and they're going to say it. They're mad at Kamala, They're mad at the party. And you've got you know, whether it's the pod Save guys coming after Ken Martin or just voters, black voters leaving the party and saying my vote is not yours to take for granted, they're mad and they're saying it. A perfect example happened just over the weekend. The DNC posted a Memorial Day message honoring the thirteen fallen soldiers that have died in the Iran War. They got backlash from Democrats people like Tammy Duckworth, who thought it was exploiting dead soldiers for a political attack. Ad Folks like Tammy expressed their disdain for it, thought it was really in bad taste.
Speaker 1: They were offended by this. Whatever you think of that argument.
Speaker 2: Over on the right, Trump posted a lengthy Memorial Day screed against Democrats.
Speaker 1: Right, no one on the right.
Speaker 2: Blinked deny, and if they did, he wouldn't take it down. The Democrats took their message down immediately. What do you make of this uneven battlefield and a total double standard that the voters have set where Democrats voters. I don't want them to lower their standards like that can't be the answer. But at the same time, they are not fighting the same fight because Republicans don't care that their party is hypocritical, that it promised things it's not delivering like they so are they have not cared about that.
Speaker 3: Well, you know it's hard for me to know. I wasn't aware of that story. And also online in real life aren't the same. Yeah, you know, sometimes what I'm feeling despondent. I joke and say was the difference between liberals and cannibals. Cannibals don't eat their friends and family. That's kind of my that's my right. So so sometimes you know what I feel this Pond, I feel that way. Yeah, but also look, I mean I think that low self esteem is not a good place to be standing when you're trying to lead. Sometimes people are going to disagree with you, but they'll respect you more if you don't back down. Yeah, Like a lot of people don't agree with my position on Israel, I don't agree with my position on you know, working with Republicans on criminal justice reform. They don't believe that in my position in terms of being aggressively coalition in bridge building at a time when a lot of black folks feel like we tried that it didn't work, we should just retreat into our own camp. But I don't back down. I don't change my position. I don't post something and then somebody didn't like it, so now I'm going to change my mind about it. Like I just don't like it. Not everybody's. I'm not everybody's cup of tea, And I think that we need more of that. I would must rather for the party for whoever posts that thing, to say, you know you're wrong, and you know Tammy Duck work, will he love you and you're wonderful, But we see it differently, and you know, let's have the conversation. But this sort of I just see it as like low self esteem politics, like please like me, this kind of picked me politics. Please like me. Please don't be mad at me, let me try to bemprove. I just think it shows.
Speaker 2: Weakness, and that happens on the left with special interests, I think wart more so than it does on the right.
Speaker 1: Threat has its own of course, but but.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, our coalition is broader, we have a lot more, we have a lot more people.
Speaker 2: But also yeah, but not wanting to let down this special interest or that special yeah, but.
Speaker 1: Gets into yeah.
Speaker 3: But also people fall for like stupid shit, like for instance, people say, well, you know this group feels this way. What they really mean is some paid people who went to college who got a grant and have a website and claim to represent millions of people that they've never met. Yeah, are going to be mad, and so like the groups, like worrying about the groups, What are the groups going to say? I don't give a shit about the groups because I know all these people, we all went to school together, we all get grants from the same people, And they don't fool me that they represent who they say they represent. But if you don't know any better, you'll think that whoever showed up, you know, with their coalition of seven groups that all claim to represent something, actually they don't represent a goddamn thing half the time, except for people who went to college and people who give grants, and so I know that, so I don't bow down. Also, online is not real life, like there's you know you can It's like I know the people who whip up these storms online and a lot of it's synthetic, or at least it's it's not exactly a reflection in public opinion. So you got to be willing to You have to be willing to take the heat from your from your base. And that's what's interesting to me about you know, Trump and others is like Trump's going to do Trump and you can like it or not. And I think people over the long term respect that because it shows strength if you if you realize you can bully dad, bully mom and get your way. You're happy in the in the short term, but you're actually miserable in the long term. You don't respect your parents when your parents are like I don't care what you said, I said what I say, Sit down, go to your room. You don't like it in the short term, but long term you love it because you know, you say, you know, my parents didn't screw around. It's just like a lot of weakness on the left that I think we have to be well and you know, we have to be willing to if you're going to lead on the left, it's a raucous bunch of people and you're not going to please everybody. But if you can find a mass base of people who are real folks, who say, I believe in that woman, I think she's fighting for me, then a lot of this online and middle class professional layer becomes less important. That's the key. Can you can you connect with real people who really believe in you, and then all this stuff becomes less important.
Speaker 2: Yeah, before we let you go, we like to end an exit poll of a mental health minute where you answer a few questions of varying degrees of seriousness. So the first question is what's your favorite movie about politics?
Speaker 3: Oh, it's a it's a movie that has Sean Penn All the Kingsmen, where Sean Penn is the star of that movie. I think it's a great, great film and it teaches teaches a lot about politics.
Speaker 2: If you were teaching a class about America, what's one book you'd make your students read.
Speaker 3: Oh, the Making of the Making of Black Revolutionaries. The second half of that book by James Foreman. It's a book about the Student Non Violent Coordinating Committee and what they did in you know, going into the South. And it's it's what James Foreman, who was a leader of SNICK and all those kids who went south and some of some were murdered, many were beaten, many were arrested. He had them every night right down report field reports, and so he has like so the book full of like minute by minute, this person's missing, we went to talk to this sheriff. It's really really gives you. The Making of Black Revolutionaries by James Foreman really gives you an insider account of how risky, how dangerous, and how difficult it was for us to get you know, black people registered to vote in this country in living memory. This is not a thousand years ago. This is in the living memory of your grandparents. It was a murderous You were risking your life to sign a black person up to vote in a third of America.
Speaker 2: Great, what's something you find encouraging about the state of politics today.
Speaker 3: Look, I think that we haven't heard from the best people yet. I think that most people are still on the sidelines trying to make their individual lives work. At some point they'll realize that they can't and someone will come off off the bench in a negative posture. There's gonna be some brilliant, beautiful, amazing people who stand up and and and represent of a better path. So this is this is what happens when demagogues and status quo defenders, you know, duke it out on the on the on the national stage for a decade. But but the best, the best people in the country haven't been heard from it.
Speaker 2: How do you unplug from the news and politics?
Speaker 3: I mean, like, I've I got four kids, so sometimes I you know, spend time, uh you know, doing dumb things with them or fun things with them. You know. I'm a person of very deep religious faith, as you know, and so for me, like one reason why I have a lot of independence and politics is that I have my own religion and it's not the Democratic Party, you know, And I think a lot of people who are not people with faith and you know, including yourself, a great respect for But there's some people who they're still theological. They just protected into politics. They still are looking for the Messiah. They just think it's Donald Trump or whoever. The Democrats run every four years and they're still like but all of those needs that some people try to pull out of politics, I already have met because you know, come out of the Black Church, and we got a lot, a lot of a lot of assustenance over there. And so I think between my you know, look, I'm I'm a Southern kid. Faith and family is my thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, why do you do what you do?
Speaker 3: No idea, no idea like I could, I could come up with something. But the reality is, since I was very little, I've been just mainly focused on politics. But I was like a little kid, like in first grade, I had a whole. I had a bulletin board in my room, and I would whenever the Weekly Readers came out. You're too young, but they used to have these newspapers for children in school called the Weekly Reader. Yeah, and it was terrible, like you touched it, like the ink would come up off in your fingers. It was not a high quality. But I would take my little round scissors in anything about the Kennedy family or Doctor King. I would cut out and I would bring it home and I would stick it up on my bulletin board because I was just really interested in the Kennedy's and the Kings and Doctor King in like kindergarten first grade. So some people were interested in politics, some people were interested in music, art, sports. I was just a political nerd from the beginning. And I have no idea why.
Speaker 2: Okay, And the last question is very important to me. I know the answer to this, but I have to ask it. When is it iced coffee season?
Speaker 3: I don't drink coffee. I don't know anything about that. I know, Sorry, I knowd coffee, any coffee or alcohol. HAVE never had any alcohol ever in my whole life. Corey Booker is the same way Donald Trumps the same way. So I don't tell too bad, but I don't know. Now. Why would you have ice in the coffee? Isn't supposed to be.
Speaker 2: Usually?
Speaker 1: Wait a second, why would you even have ice in the coffee?
Speaker 2: Well? The answer van is both cultural and spiritual. The cultural answer is because I grew up in Massachusetts with Dunkin Donuts.
Speaker 1: That's the first answer.
Speaker 2: The second answer is because I want to drink it fast. I don't want to sip it. It's not precious. I want it in my veins quickly, and I can't do that when it's hot iced.
Speaker 1: The answer is year round. There's no season. You drink iced coffee year round.
Speaker 2: But I know that, and we ask it at the end of every pot, which is why I'm asking you even though I know you don't drink coffee.
Speaker 1: It's okay.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm for whatever you're for in this.
Speaker 1: I love you anyway. I love you anyway.
Speaker 3: I'm sure if I if I, if ever, well, listen, I do sometimes drink a diet coke on set when we're like those of late nights.
Speaker 1: Know that about you.
Speaker 2: That's unrelated. It has nothing to do with coffee. But that is a thing you did. That's true.
Speaker 3: I've never had any coffee. I don't even know what.
Speaker 2: Thanks Van Jones, Thanks so much for joining us on Off the Cup today.
Speaker 1: I really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: You're a great deep thinker, and you're very thoughtful, and I know you care a lot about the future of this country, so it was great to have you on.
Speaker 3: Well. I appreciate it, and thanks for including me, and I'll come back anytime.
Speaker 1: Thanks to Van. Thanks to you for tuning in. PS. There's a new talking.
Speaker 2: Coffee up where we taste test a brand new coffee product will surprise you, and we dish on all kinds of fun stuff because coffee really does reveal a person and it's kind of just a gateway to like talk about anything, and we do.
Speaker 1: So check that out and we'll see you next time on Off the Cup.
Speaker 2: Off the Cup is a production of iHeart Podcast as part of the Reason Choice Network.
Speaker 1: If you want more, check out the.
Speaker 2: Other Reason Choice podcast, Spolitics with Jamel Hill and Native Land Pod.
Speaker 1: For Off the Cup, I'm your host, Si Cup. Editing and sound design by Derek Clements.
Speaker 2: Our executive producers are me Si Cup and Lauren Hanson. Rate and review wherever you get your pod casts, follow and subscribe for new episodes every week