Speaker 1: To on the move, galling deep speedways, Peace do Hellas.
Speaker 2: From the Baptist Health Studio. This inside the Baptist Health Training Complex. This is Drivetime with Travis Wingfield.
Speaker 1: He's got my advands in the playoffs.
Speaker 3: What is up Dolphins? And welcome to the Draft Time Podcast. I am your host, Travis Wingfield. And on today's show, doesn't it just feel good to get a win against that team, against those Jets. That's where I were celebrating a thanks win win, win.
Speaker 1: Win, win, Yeah, everything goes win, win, win.
Speaker 3: Win victory. Sunday Night recap edition here of the Draft Time Podcast. I'll take you through a crazy game script. In fact, it was the first Dolphins overtime victory since twenty nineteen and first overtime game since twenty twenty one, which means the first overtime game in the Mike McDaniel era. He goes to one to zero in games decided in the fifth quarter. We'll break it all down. Takeaways here from Coaching two from the Baptist Hell Studios inside the Baptist Hell Training Complex. This is the Draft Time Podcast, Miami Topics. Sorry, I just want to get through a lot of this because I have so much to cover on this episode. Let's go ahead and kick it off, though with some audio from the head coach from Mike McDaniel, who addressed the media after the game and talked about the resilience of this football team.
Speaker 4: I couldn't be proud of the fourth quarter, the complimentary football when plays needed to be had. You know, some of the biggest plays in the game. We're on special teams. It's and you know, guys like Malik Washington for instance, last week did not define him absolutely return power return, you know the plays that three to three made, the a missed extra point? Does that define you the same thing as two and six for five and seven only if you let it.
Speaker 3: I feel like it would be really weird if a podcast listener didn't watch the game and listen to this podcast. So I hope I didn't spoil anything for that one person out there that maybe does that. But yeah, Dolphins went thirty two to twenty six over the New York Jets and it was an absolute crazy game. Let's go ahead into the stats, as we always do here. First, it was back and forth, lead changes left and right. Dolphins had twenty eight first downs, the Jets had twenty three, and what's crazy about all the back and forth was both teams were not very good on third down. From Miami one of their worst outputs of the year, in fact, the very worst output under in games quarterback by Tua one for nine. The Jets were just four for twelve, but both teams were two for two on fourth down. In this game, the Jets get four hundred and two yards of total offense. My Amy gets three seventy five. The Dolphins only had forty four yards on the ground compared to eighty three for the Jets. Miami wins the passing matchup three thirty one to three nineteen. It was sixty six plays for US sixty three plays for them, no turnovers in the entire game. Rogers was sacked three times on forty seven drawbacks. How many sacks zero And that includes rookie left tackle Patrick Paul playing almost the entire game as Tron Armstead did exit early in the game, return for a brief moment, played a couple of snaps and was right back out after that. So frustrating for the big fellow, But the rookie in his place, I thought played very well. I am pumped to watch the film and break it down for you guys on the podcast tomorrow. The Dolphins had eight fouls for forty nine yards, the Jets ten for eighty three, and time on possession was pretty even thirty three give or take for Miami, thirty one give or take for the New York Jets. So this game started off like most games have started off since Tua came back. The Dolphins go right down the field with an opening drive touchdown, eight plays seventy yards four and a half minutes to von eight. Chian takes it in for a one yard plunge that was what was at the fourth play of like four running plays that didn't get in earlier, and he finally punches it across. But it looked so nice early on, and you kind of saw some of the stuff that you would see throughout the course of the game. On this drive where Tua has all day to throw surveys three, four maybe five options in the eligible pattern and finds Jalen Waddle for a catch and run of twenty yards, and then right away Liam Miikenberg, who was one of the best instigators in the entire National Football League, draws an unnecessary reference call. So fifteen yards on top of the twenty to get out of the gates quickly, and then it's Tua to Tyreek crossing for twelve yards. They run that little angle screen to Devon eh Chan that goes for another big play down to the three yard line for a first and goal that we broke down on the HQ episode last week. And then it's back to back eight Chan runs for third and goal p I on a back shoulder fade to Tyreek Hill with DJ Reid all over him. And we'll talk plenty about the Jets man coverage in this podcast today, and that gives the Dolphins a freshout of downs. First down doesn't get in, but second down does get in. And Malik Washington, who going to hear a lot about on this podcast today, had this like short motion where he condensed down in like almost a full back position, like an F position where he's behind the left tackle and left guard and he has a down block at the safety and that is that B gap or seed gap, I forget which gap was in, but he has a critical down block and he connects at the goal line and got knocked back on that safety and helped Devon Achan find the end zone. As Patrick Paul kind of sat a lot behind him and pushed that pile across the goal line. So Dolphins get an early touchdown drive on the board, but they missed their PAT, which I love the way this game went for Jason Sanders, your November Special Teams Player of the Month, went ten for ten and had a bunch of kicks over fifty yards, and he misses his first PAT of the year and really actually his first PAT since Week one last year. But as the Dolphins did all day long, he too would bounce back, so it's six nothing. The Jets take it eleven plays, sixty yards and five minutes and settle for a field goal, a twenty eight yard kick at that And this is one of those games where both teams were like getting drive starters going. There was only I think two three now to the entire football game. So most these drives start with like a runner a pass for a first down, but then Rogers had a miss and then a klayas Campbell's stuff creates a third and eight and then he gets a back shoulder throw to Garrett Wilson and Ramsey was there. I thought the blitz was really well calculated and got their rush lanes, you know, coordinated to get after Aaron Rodgers, and it's a bang bang play on Ramsey. I saw some folks didn't think it was DPI. I thought to me, it looked like a clear DEPI. But I'll get a better look at it on the tape tomorrow. So he gets the foul that moves the Jets down the field. And then Jordan Brooks, man, what a game he had in this one. He kept just beating blocks with pure physicality but also quickness, and he got this run stuff early on where he had to go a mile across the field and then get through a lead block and cut in a play for just a one yard game. But then the Jets getting nine yards on a screen and they're throwing the ball in the vacancies of these like eight gap blitzes and these slot blitzes, and they just kind of had answers for what we were throwing at them defensively early and often in this game. That Garrett Wilson had that pop pass that gives him around the corner for a second and three. Dolphins get a good pressure on Rogers to create third and three, and they have on this third down play really good coverage on the front side with both Ramsey and Brooks, and then you had Zach Seeler kind of peel back into the hook zone and take away a short throw where Rogers actually threw a pick six on that exact look last week. No, it was Ramsey and Walker, not Ramsey and Brooks, my apologies, but they take away that front side read and then Sealer peels back and kind of takes away the I think the hot read that Rogers had in that play, and then Chop Robinson has a great pass rush, draws a hold, ball goes incomplete decline. It hits the arm of Rogers actually on the throw, so he gets a quarterback hit for that as well, but it goes incomplete.
Speaker 2: They kick a field goal. Six to three. Game.
Speaker 3: Dolphins get the ball back and once again go right down the field ten plays forty nine yards five and a half minutes, but they have to kick a field goal of their own from thirty nine yards out. The Jets played off coverage frequently in this game, and I you know, throughout a week of practice and in pregame warmups, I kind of noticed there was lots of these like quick outthrows they were throwing to Tyreek into Waddle, and I was wondering, I'm like, man, the Jets usually play a lot of press man coverage, Like I don't expect that to happen in the game. But the Dolphins knew what I did not know, And the Jets played a lot of off coverage without their number one cornerback, Sauce Gardner, and the Dolphins took that space. And this was an area that I thought Miami didn't really exploit as much as they could have last year in those you know, throws to the perimeter against that off coverage. They went to that well over and over again. It's pitching catch for two and Tyreek when they're on the same page thirteen yards, you get a five yard end around to to Jalen Wright. He gets those carries on those ends around like the motions where he takes it wide and his speed can hit that pretty well. And then once again Tua has all dan a shot play, but it's well covered down the field and he comes back for six more for Jalen Wright. And that's where Teharan had come back in after re entering, but or he'd come back out after re entering. So it's Patrick Paul from this point the rest of the game, and the Dolphins called that little reverse flip where like Tua fakes the handoff to there's like nobody there, but then he flips it back the other direction and we haven't seen much of that this year, and it goes for one yard. But then they do that play again and hit a screen pass to the other direction for a nice completion to Tyreek Hill for a first down. And it looked like Tyreek was going to score on that play, but Brandon Eckles actually caught up to him from behind, which I thought was kind of surprise. We get themselves in a third and one situation, throw a crossing pattern to Tyreek Hill and it gets broken up. Called the field goal team out there and put it through the upright so that ball was pretty well located. I thought it hit Tyreek's hands, but that coverage from the safety in the back side was pretty dang good over the top to break that thing up. So it's nine to three at this point in the game, and the Jets take it back seventeen yard touchdown run from Isaiah Davis. Sixth play, seventy yard drive took three minutes off the clock. And once again in my notes, Jordan Brooks shedding blocks and making sticks on Braylen Allen after Rogers had a pretty crappy little scape and throw on the first play of the drive for twelve yards. I just wrote down that Jordan Brooks off to a hot start and he played that way the rest of the game, which I kind of thought you would get that. You know, Jordan Brooks kind of made some headlines last week, and if you're going to say those things, you better play a really good football game the next week, and he did just that. He's the guy that I think is really one of, you know, kind of temperature changers, the you know, the guy that walks into the room and gets attention from people even though he's quiet and reserved. He just kind of has a certain mentality about him. I think you saw that in this game against the Jets today. Second downplay on the drive, the coverage is really good. Once again, the pass rush doesn't get in, but Rogers throws it quickly to Alan who drops it. Then they fall start and all of a sudden it's third and fourteen and he goes on a third and fourteen play a hot throw against mugged up linebackers where that's basically your linebackers not playing off the football. They're up on the line scrimmage over the garden center and I was like, wow, would he make that quick hot throw? Oh, it's because they're gonna go for it on fourth and four. And then Garrett Wilson got behind Ramsey pretty well on the slot, Rodgers finds him and he runs away for a game of thirty five yards and Chop Robinson got nicked up on the play too, So just felt like man kind of seems like the Jets. They get Alan the zard back, Garrett Wilson has one of his best games of the year, Devonte Adams is cooking, Aaron Rodgers has his first three hundred yard game in quite a while. Like, maybe they're gonna have their best game against us. That's how this year has gone for us so far. Right, And they actually did do that, and as capped off by a seventeen yard touchdown run. Didn't love the tackling on the back end of that play, as he was able to get an extra like five yards running through tackles after they kind of washed stealer was the front side. I thought that he did a good job gap contained and Neil Ferrell tried to close off that backside gap and couldn't do it. Jordan Brooks and Anthony Walker were on outside gaps as well, so that opening in the middle was there. The tackling at the second level is not good and the Jets are in the end zone with a ten to nine lead at this point of the game. Miami gets it back in twelve plays sixty five yards seven minute drive, but another bog down red zone drive twenty four yard field goal, and they threw stick to Julian Hill for twelve yards, where I thought the passing offense just kind of had everything clicking with the crossing game the screen game. You're throwing your stick route to your tiight end for twelve yards. When you can do all that, you can be really multiple on how you attack defenses. And then they go to that end around the Tyreek Hill where he gets a nice little game for five for six or seven yards, and then we hit that glance off of play action of Tyreek Kid for twenty one yards, an absolute dot right on the inside shoulder for Tyreek for a big game. And that was a big part of this game, was those chunk gains to Tyreek and Waddle, and Tyreek and Waddle by the way, one hundred and fifteen yards for Tyreek, ninety nine yards for Wattle in this game. So our big time players making big time plays, which we will get to here in just one second as well. Hn then gets a six yard carry. It takes us down to second and four at the nineteen. Then two of scrambles for three and it's third and one, and we go back to h Chan on the ground where John new Smith kind of short motion in the same way that Malik Washington did on that touchdown run, and the edge got around Johnny and beat him on that play, made the tackle in the backfield for a loss. And then they go for it on fourth and two and two of fines Deilan Waddle on a crossing route where he had some pressure and had to buy a little extra time falling away from that pressure and finds Waddle on the upfield shoulder for a first down. But then we had a couple of weird plays where that little you know, no look flipped to John new Smith didn't work out the Texas like angle screen that we love to throw to eight Chan for touchdowns down on the red zone. They were all over that and put a pretty big shot on Devon Hchen there, and then we had an eight yard round from Jalen Wright, but because Patrick Paul was not on the line of scrimmage, he gets flagged for a legal formation. Second and fifteen, they find waddle for eleven yards. You're back in the play and they run that escort swing where you have a lead blocker out in space and the running back behind him. And it's interesting on this played because I thought that the Dolphins have run that play a million times this year, but Tua scanned the other side of the formation first before coming back to that. I think that was maybe I would assume based upon that, And we won't know this because we're we're not in the meetings, we're not calling the plays, but it looked to me like he wanted to use that escort swing as as a decoy to the backside and play the front side and get favorable coverage there. But they were all over the front side. They go to the escort swing backside. I thought because of that front side read, it was a step late and when he caught the football he kind of ran to the block and they were able to make a play rate there I think for either no gain or a short loss. So Dolphins kick a field goal, take a twelve to ten lead, back and forth.
Speaker 2: Game tenues.
Speaker 3: Here the Jets get the ball back and go eleven plays, fifty eight yards and four minutes and they get a thirty yard field goal of their own. Once again, Jordan brook Brooks wins with speed, and this time they have to hook him and get called for a hole to make a second and twenty after Jeremy Ruckert had dropped a pass that would have gone for like fifteen yards. And then this was a huge play in the game. Seeler and Agba, like if you look at ogba sack production this year, typically he's winning off the edge where he slants inside around a pick, and usually that pick is from Zach Sieler.
Speaker 2: Sometimes it's a manual Ogba. It's called a pick stunt.
Speaker 3: You know stunts when you cross a pick is when you deliberately set that pick opposed to actually rushing a lane. And when you look at the way John Simpson, the Jets left guard, reacted to Sealer's pick like he did have him like hooked, but it almost seemed like it was incidental and almost I don't want to, like, you know, blame the player for like flopping, but it looked like almost an acting job. And by the time he reacted, Ogba was already two steps behind him. And I just it's stunk because that would have been like a third and thirty two I think think it was, and instead of that, you get an automatic first down and then a thirty four yard play to DeVante Adams on a bust where I think Cater Cooho and a safety weren't on the same page because he ran by Cater and Cater didn't go with him, and I think it was Jordan Poyover there was not on the same page with him, and he goes free into the secondary for a big gain of thirty four yards, and we then get a run stuff by Deshaun Ham for a two minute warning. Davante Adams has a catch for three yards. We take a time out, so it's third and six, one eight to play ball the twenty three yard line. You have a two point lead at this point of the game. Chop comes across for a neutral zone fraction. The Jets false start right back where he started, and then another coverage you know mishap is what we'll call it, because they throw an out route to Devonte Adams and there's nobody over there, and we had a good pressure. It got in on Rogers quickly, but you see Rams he's in the slot, Cater's on the perimeter, and they both go after Garrett Wilson inside and they turned Davante Adams completely free to the outside for an easy conversion first down. There, we get two stops, sets up a third and four and the Jets take it under one minute. They fall start and then we do get the coverage to win this rep as Rogers escapes a four man rush on third nine and throws it on the move.
Speaker 2: But it's a play where the.
Speaker 3: Isaiah Davis's foot without a bounds and he didn't catch the pass anyway. So the Jets kick a field goal there to make it thirteen to twelve. So the Dolphins red zone defense like the Jets red zone defense, bowing up and making critical stops. Last drive of the half five plays thirty one yards for the Dolphins. It ends the Jason Sanders fifty seven yard field goal and they took it down the field in forty seven seconds with no timeouts left. I know I say this a lot with Tua, but he's also just sort of proven it every step along the way. But that was one of my favorite drives of his well until later in the game. Through with confidence, he knew where he was going pre snap and attacked it and ripped these three perfect shots consecutively for long chunk gains to put us in field goal range, and Sanders pays it off with a fifty seven yard field goal to give Miami a fifteen to thirteen lead. Let's go ahead and take our first break right there, come back into the second half. I have five takeaways as well. Busy long podcast today. That's next Drive time podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by Auto Nation. Week fourteen in the books, thirteen games down, there are just four left in this regular season. Dolphins probably have to get all of them to punch their ticket to the playoffs. We will see what happens the rest of the way. Tons of football left to go, so we'll see how it plays out. But just keep winning football games and that should do the trick. And that's what the Dolphins did today, thirty two to twenty six overtime winners over the New York Jets, and no thanks to the third quarter, because I was a rough quarter for the Miami Dolphins. The Jets take the opening drive, seven plays, seventy yards, three minutes, forty seconds, and it's a two yard pass from Aaron Rodgers to Devonte Adams. Go a two way go on cater Coohu on that play, and it's a tough ask for any cornerback, and Adams wins that for the touchdown. But this drive began with a massive play down the sideline to Garrett Wilson where he slipped where Jalen Ramsy slipped and fell down, and.
Speaker 2: He's all alone.
Speaker 3: He is naked down the sideline and if Rogers throws this ball in bound like closer inbounds because obviously he caught it, but it took Garret Wilson out of bound, would have been a walk in touchdown. Now they would score anyways, after Jordan Brooks had a great pass breakup on Garrett Wilson on a third and two play where he was basically manned up with safety help obviously, but he was playing man coverage against Garrett Wilson, and he drives on this play, gets his hand around the front side doesn't hook him and causes the ball to go over the top of him. And actually Javon Hall had a chance at a pick, but he couldn't squeeze it drop the football there, but it could have been a big play in the game. They do go for it on fourth down and they get basically what you want in the situation where the running back scan protects and once he does not have a rusher because in this instance Anthony Walker's playing coverage, you can kind of get lost in the wash there, and that's exactly what happened. Davis takes his route to the flat, catches it in the flat, and they score or he converts the first down there and go right back to the Devonte As player for the touchdown. So they continue to find space against our linebackers and coverage to their running backs. They continue to go after Garrett Wilson, they continue to go after Julian Ramsey a lot in this game, and they were successful. I mean, this is kind of the Jets offense that you thought you might get back in September that hasn't shown up week in and week out this year. But it's a Hall of Fame quarterback and three really good receivers out there, so they made their plays and Dolphins had to come back and make their own, but they didn't do it right away because the next drive was where the Miami offense kind of hit their only speed bumps in the entire game of four play twenty two yard drive, two and a half minutes. It's a punt and Tua had this no look glance down the seam to waddle with Ingold on the wheel, and when he threw it, my eyes went to Ingold right away, and then the ball didn't go there, like what the hell was that? And he got me from the press box on a no look pass for fifteen yards. Then a Chan had that big run, but it comes back on a hold, but luckily they horse collared him on the tackle as well, so it's offsetting. And at this point of the game, Devon had just ten for twenty four. He hasn't had the big run really in recent weeks. That's kind of been the difference in his stat lines here as far as a running back goes or carrying the football, I should say. Then he catches a swing pass for six yards and he broke a tackle way behind the line of scrimage.
Speaker 2: That was impressive.
Speaker 3: We get an incomplete pass, sets up third and four, they check it down to Obj and then four Jet tackler swarm him and get him down and the Dolphins after, you know, a long touchdown drive and then a quick four and out there they give it back to the Jets, who go take the football for almost eight minutes, fourteen plays, fifty eight yards. But luckily they kick a field goal to make it twenty three to fifteen on this forty yard field goal, I should say, and Kendall Fuller hut himself a pretty good game this one too. I thought he made some plays, you know, tackling around the line of scrimmage. He would turn the deep receiver and cover two and come downhill and make a play on the crosser or the flat or the tight end like whoever caught the ball short. He would go stick his face in the fan to make a tackle. And that play that he made in this particular drive creates a third and eight, and it's another Isaiah Davis first down where Rogers extends and runs around and you know, he might be forty one years old, but his pocket mobility inside that tight space is still pretty dang good. And he got a first down here, So they just kept getting the football to their backs against backers with delay releases, and we couldn't stop it. And then finally Gillen Ramsey puts himself right back in the game and makes this huge play where they try a deep shot to Garrett Wilson the sideline and he damn near picked it off and made a really good play on the football and that creates a third down. But the Jets take their their out route like we did all game long against off coverage, a convert to Garrett Wilson on the next play. Then they screen up behind the blitz and it goes for sixteen yards to Adams. Like they just had the right calls at the right times against us and out executed us a lot of times on defense as well. They got the ball on the twenty three yard line with a combination more combinations of quick throws and run game. Then they have an illegal motion that makes it first and fifteen. They swing it to Davis for five yards, then second and ten. I thought Ramsey saved the touchdown on Braylen Allen when he got an ender rounds running a toss or whatever you call like a little flip and I thought he had the corner for a touchdown, but Ramsey came from depth and cut him down. It creates a third and four. So that's kind of like the play before the play there, because as third and four, Rogers breaks the contain again and scrambles out to his right and Jordan Brooks tries to get a sack on the perimeter with great coverage downfield. Rogers side steps Brooks, who then gets right back and then jumps back into Rogers who's still trying to create an extent. Really great effort from Jordan Brooks. I had a hard time on the postgame show. I've gone four wins in a row with my game ball to Tua. I thought that we had to give him a game ball because he played really well, had the game winning drive. But I was this close to Gordon going to Jordan Brooks because I thought that his efforts on defense were kind of the difference on that side of the ball. So the Jets get get the lead twenty three to fifteen here and then the Dolphins go three and now a sixteen second drive with three consecutive incompletions from Tua. The first one I thought Twua and Tyreek were on different pages, which was a shame because there was a big play there. I thought then I thought two was behind Waddle on a slant that allowed DJ Reid to break it up. And then we threw a deep out to Tyreek Hill and I thought that he dropped that pass. So just not their best third quarter of offense. We got some good punt coverage there, Saran Neil makes that great tackle right as the ball kind of comes down to the Jets return man. But the Dolphins desperately need to stop on defense after what we just saw, and that's exactly what they got. So the defense I struggled, but they stepped up here in this big moment. Three and out, three play negative one yards, we forced our first punt of the game. Third and two, we get a sack where Zack Steeler runs a little dip and rip where he kind of swings that arm, under hooks the guard and then plays through power and balance after the fact, and then chop one around the corner angled it back into the quarterback they met there. I think Sealer got the entire sack, but I wonder if it's a stack correction on that tomorrow where it's a half a sack each because both guys got there. Forces the punt, and then the Dolphins take at nine plays, sixty yards, four minutes and twenty seconds, and they go for a four yard touchdown pass from two to Tyreek and then a two point conversion from Tua to Jalen Waddell. We looked disjointed on the first play of this drive. We motioned Jalen Wright, who motions away and then comes back to the original spot and didn't get the snap off until there was a zero on the play clock. After there was an injury time out. But then Tua throws the ball to right on that play and he drops it, and then they go to Jeff Wilson comes into the game. They throw another pass in complete. Then it's third and ten, and then we hit Tyreek Hill for eighteen yards in the tryle over the middle of the field in time, on time and on rhythm. Just a nice rip there, you guys know what that looks like. And then Jeff Wilson gets a little bit of run there, six yard flare pass and then he runs for a first down on the next one, kind of puts his head down and burrows ahead for a few yards and then Tua gets the DPI call on DJ Reid against Malik Washington, who was open on that wheel route, and he threw it over the top and he kind of tackled Maleak for an easy first and goal there. And then first and goal at the eight we lose four yards by devon a Chan, So the run game out the window at that point right, you have to throw from here. And then Jalen Waddle catches a screen pass the twelve yard line and I thought he had to walk in touchdown, but they got him down at the one yard line. We run it on third and goal at the one yard line, lose three yards, and then Tua makes his best throw of the entire at this point the entire game where he him and Tyreek. You have to be so sharp on this play because he's the slot, he's the two receiver. You have a cornerback on the perimeter covering the one, and you're gonna basically run an out route and they are inside leverage. They don't want you to run the slant because it's the easier throw, So you have the outside leverage, but the window. You have to run an out route from that position. It better be right on time and it better be right on target. And it was those two things. Great route from Tyree, get great catch, timed it up well, and then they come back and do pretty much the exact same thing to Jaylen Waddle on the next play for a two point conversion, tied up at twenty three apiece, and that crowd was jumping at that point of the game. The Jets get the football back and they go three and out. I love how this defense responds to the offense after a big drive like that at home, especially the crowd gets behind them. They get a Allen goes for seven yards on the first play, but then Benito stacks up a second downplay for a loss of one and Ogbah helped chase that thing down. Benito Jones has been coming on here lately. Then on a third and four, it's an incomplete pass on a quick hit and they tried to go slant flat where you get that rub route on the flat defender the guy that wants to get wide to cover that receiver going out wide, and Jordan Brooks just ran right over the top of the pick and got there to like contest the throw. I thought that was the difference in that play, so Brooks every drive we talked about Jordan Brooks here, Miami has it back. A chance to go win the game right, seven thirty three to play ball your own twenty two yard line tie game, Come on two, I wrote in my notes. But it's a five play twenty one yard drive. Three minutes on the clock. The Tyreek runs a nine yard out route and I'm like, that's perfect. Now you can run the ball for a first down, take forty more seconds. But then there was a false start. Maybe you guys can help because I haven't seen the replay of yet. It was two gonna sneak that ball. I thought he was gonna sneak that ball for a first down and second to one. But I could be wrong. Could have just been a bad exchange because it was a false star and everybody but the center one of those plays. And then we get Jalen Wadall for six yards and a rough in the passer call to put the ball to the forty seven yard line, and then eight Chan goes for three. But this is like the only time we don't have success on drives is when we have a penalty for the most part, like not always, but for the most part holding call makes it second and seventeen was going to be third and four. We get John new Smith for two yards and then Tua wanted waddle on a dig with the timing was off and the pass goes incomplete, and now it's like you've got four minutes in the game. The Jets have the ball at their own thirteen yard line and they take eleven plays sixty three yards three and a half minutes, and they kick a forty two yard field goal and they got themselves into a third and one situation went wildcat with Braylan Allen, and I'm walking from the press box over to the Paddock club where the postgame show is, and I know it's a big play, So I poked my head out of one of the doors in the club level and I see that number.
Speaker 2: What is he? He's number zero?
Speaker 3: Right, Number zero's in the back film, like where's Rogers at? Oh, they're gonna wild kind of thing, like, let's what's it? And the snap from my vantage point, okay, it was gonna go over his head, but he catches it, converts the first down. Then they get Devonte Ads for a chunk game down to the forty five yard line. They put themselves in position for a game winning field goal there, but we did not give up and bounce back and kept fighting because we get a TfL from Benito Jones. Then as Zach Sealer sack and all of a sudden, they're back in like could miss this field goal range third and twenty one one oh two left, all the timeouts are gone. They get fourteen yards, but Kendall Fuller takes DeVante Adams out of bounds, and I cannot tell you. I can't actually that was the game winning play right there, because if they get that ball in bounds, they're gonna wind that clock down to like fifteen seconds and MIM's gonna have the football with like nine seconds left to try to win that or to try to tie that game.
Speaker 2: But it didn't happen.
Speaker 3: The Dolphins get the ball back with forty five seconds left in the game. Forty four seconds actually, after Milik Washington rips off his best kick return as an NFL player, six play drive twenty yards forty five seconds and it results in a fifty two yard field goal. The Jets challenge Malik to return kicks all day long. Right, they were hitting those short hoppers that if it goes short of the end zone into the end zone and you down there. You get the ball to twenty yard line, so you better bring it out and he does this. He makes a man miss, then drops his shoulder and runs over the punter or the kickoff man who is their punter. You know it was their place kick correction there. Oj McDuffie loves seeing that, by the way. Then we try a deep shot to Malak Washington.
Speaker 2: I love it. Try to win the game. Why not? Didn't work?
Speaker 3: Fourteen yards on the out to Tyreek Hill puts us in a field goal range or two. I had to roll to his left and make a big time throw. We get another deep shot for a while, not there, and then thirty seconds left, ball at the forty yard line. Second and ten, we try a slant to Tyreek Hill, but it's incomplete and if he catches that ball in the third down slant, I had to correct myself there. If he catches that, I think he's tackled in bounds. We lose that game. Not how it happens to kick a field goal and then Miami takes the ball seventy yards for the game winning drive. Johnas Smith just goes to Ward catches a little slip screen for twenty yards. There was nobody out there and just got rolling downhill. And that tire defense against Jonas Smith. I love that matchup. Great call there, go right back to it fifteen yards in the next one. Then ah Chan catches the screen for four yards, and then Reeke on a speedout has a big catch for nine yards. To move the chains, we go to the glance route to Devon eight Chans running the receiver routes and being a big contributor that way.
Speaker 2: He runs it for three yards. Second and seven to ten yard line.
Speaker 3: Tua makes his best throw of the day, a dot to john Us Smith between three Jets defenders. So John Hu and Tua take the Dolphins down the field. After Tua and Waddle and Reeke took him down the field to tie the game, or to tie it up earlier in the fourth quarter, I should say, good stuff all around, Dolphins thirty two twenty six winners at the gun in overtime. Let's actually close this segment here real quick. With Tua, who was asked after the game about those final drives in both regulation and overtime.
Speaker 5: I would say what helped with that was our special teams. The return by Malik Washington, great job by him, Great job by those guys on special teams, and they gave us an opportunity to go down and hopefully tie the game up so that we could go into overtime. The mindset was just just that, just get a field goal, get into field goal range for Jason to kick the ball, and there you go.
Speaker 3: Last break right there, come back on the other side, do five takeaways. That's next Draft Time podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by Auto Nation. It is takeaways time. As the Dolphins win thirty two to twenty six over the New York Jets. To keep things rolling here six and seven heading into the final four games of the year. Number one takeaways. Your best players make the best plays and the biggest moments of the game. We talked about that at length. Aready really slow fourth quarter right or beginning of the four quarter? After a slow third quarter, we dropped some balls to have missed some throws, but then on two critical plays the fourth and goal and the two point conversion two of puts the ball on a key hole and reeking wall to make tough contested catches to get us back in the game, and then the end of game in overtime drives, we went over those. The numbers on those on those drives were so impressive. He was five for six for fifty seven yards with a touchdown in overtime in the fourth quarter just two for five but twenty yards, and on that drive, and then the end of the first half drive three for four for thirty one yards and the one incompletion was a spiked pass. So in those moments, two goes ten for fifteen for one zho eight a touchdown, and the game winner scored twelve points. On critical drives. He was fifteen for eighteen in the first half for a buck sixty five and two of those misses were on receiver's hands. One was a clock play as well. We didn't find the running game really for four straight weeks now just forty four yards in this one for the Dolphins. But he keeps, you know, keeping the passing game rolling and keeping the offense going. I mean those again, those two of those incompletions were offress hands. I wouldn't call him drops, but they were in the right location. I thought he played so decisively, so accurately, and there was just like something about him when he you know, after that they won the coin toss, like there was a certain look to him and he played that way like he is in complete command and complete control of this. The Jets, you know, wanted to play man coverage in this game, and we struggled run the football again nineteen for forty four. It didn't really get John new Smith involved until overtime and they were, you know, all over that little flip screen to Jonas Smith, all over the devon eighth chan angle screen.
Speaker 2: So nothing else is really working for year offense.
Speaker 3: What else do you have besides Tyreek Hill and Gilen Waddle And they go for ten for one point fifteen and nine for ninety nine. Reek the touchdown while the two point conversion. Big players in big moments, big games. That's what you got here. Let's go ahead and hear from the head coach on his quarterback and how he performed today and what he's learned about his quarterback is time continues to go on in their three year relationship together, and.
Speaker 4: All of his work is paying off because he's a naturally gifted quarterback. Not only this skill sets, but like people gravitate towards him, he makes people better. What he's doing is he's mastering the art. The hardest thing to do. You could argue the hardest position to play his quarterback out of all positions in sports. And the biggest differentiator with quarterbacks is it's a big moment. There's a lot of stuff on you and to be able to play clear minded and let the game come to you. Case in point forty seven pass attempts and zero interceptions. Again, you know, it's it's really cool to see and I and not an ounce of it hasn't been earned from him working on his craft.
Speaker 3: Second takeaway is that we are really close to being able to crack this thing wide open offensively, and it's that we had the same short yardage and red zone issues that plagued us last week and really in a lot of the losses they've had this season. You kick two red zone field goals in the first half, I mean you're not going to score on all of them. And quite frankly, we have one of the better red zone conversion rates with two in the lineups since he came back. But these are the kind of things that in big, important games, will separate wins and losses, and it's worth noting that if you can find, you know, a touchdown and those spots like four points goes a long way. We had back to back third and one stuffs on those drives. We did convert the fourth down on one of them. We'll kick a field goal later, but also kick to the field goal on the fourth in one play. So to finish with nineteen runs for forty four yards, to finish with two red zone field goals, like, that's what the offense is going to look at and try to correct as they go into next week and again when you play CJ. Stroud and brock Purty, probably going to need to convert some of those more of those, I should say, in the touchdowns. My third takeaway was that the communication and just overall play the secondary probably wasn't up to the team standard, not something we're used to because I thought early in the game, I thought the coverage was going really well and they were forcing Rogers to have to make really good plays to convert and he did a few of those. But then we had that play where you turned Adams free, another third down conversion where both cornerbacks chased the receiver inside and turned Adams to the outside free All by himself, and it was the first game that they had Ramsey Fuller and Coho out there together in a few weeks because Forest missed a couple of games and Cater didn't practice in a full capacity for most of the week because he had that injury back in the Packer game. So I can see where maybe that lack of time on the grass could contribute to that. But it was just something we haven't really seen much all year, and that'll be something the defense takes a look at to get corrected when they come back and watch the film on Monday. But let's be real about some of the biggest issues on this defense, right We talked about the linebacker position. The depth there beyond Jordan Brooks is probably lacking quite a bit right now. It's really depth ever where your edge has been depleted by injuries, your defensive tackle play if Campbell or Sealer is not on the field, like Neil Ferrell's getting washed out of there. I think Benito's come on and DeShawn Hans played pretty well. But man, the secondary issues. You know, we had Cater Koho, what was that all about today? And then the safety position, I mean done, get me started on that. Like that Isaiah Davis touchdown run. You know, business decisions and poor tackling and throwing your head down to the ground like I'm just over it. I think the communication really stems back to that position as well. So I think that that position, what you've seen the last couple of weeks and all year long, might be in for a total overhaul this offseason. Takeaway Number four is they seem to have a preference in how they attacked our coverage. And we saw the game last year where Ramsey was up against Garrett Wilson for twenty four snaps and didn't allow a single catch in the entire game, And the Jets liked that matchup because they went after him in this one and they got Ramsey to who's been stiller all year long. But in next Gen stats when he was in coverage against Adams or Wilson, they had four catches for a buck twenty three and that was at the end of the third quarter. I don't think he got another one after that on him because they kind of moved him around. But they went after that matchup, and I think, you know, OJ made a great point the post game show that when you sometimes shadow a player it can cause some other things to be more difficult to communicate because it kind of changes the way you do things when you have that one shadow. And it looked like that's where Ramsey was going throughout the early part of the game on Garrett Wilson. But between that and going after you know, the running backs in the passing game, the Packers, the Packers, the Jets had their matchups they liked, and they went after them and they got us. So I just think this entire game is it's great you survived, obviously, but as a learning opportunity to kind of figure some things out where things went wrong and how to get them corrected for the stretch run of games that we have to really win a bunch of them to go to go where we want to go. And then the fifth thing, the fifth takeaway here, I mean, my goodness, man, what a game that was the late game medal by the Miami Dolphins. And to keep the season alive just for me, like watching this game in the Paddock club with Seth and OJ and our producers and there were some fans that were still in there, and we actually had the touchdown play spoiled because there was a TV in the other end of the room that was producing the feed quicker than ours. And so we heard the celebration, which I was happy to hear that because I was just living and dying with every single play, and it's it's fun when they win these games. It's not fun at all when they lose these games. And then, just for the player's perspective, man fifty two yards from Sanders game on the line, probably the season on the line, he's absolute nails in that spot. A leak on the big punt return, the run stuff by Bonito, I mean, first inten the twenty seven yard line. You get a negative five yard play from Benito Jones, and then Zach Seeler and Chop Robinson's kind of split sack that goes a steiler to create eleven yards of negative plays. And then Fuller keeps Adams in bounds and if he doesn't go out of bounds there it's like forty four seconds with a winding clock. And then you know John Wuo goes against a tire defense and goes off and we get a chan of all freak and waddle two of makes the big throws. Just nails from this team when they had to have it absolute must have situations and they got it all day long.
Speaker 2: So so happy.
Speaker 3: For these guys, Proud of the way they fought and they get themselves a big one.
Speaker 2: Let's get out of here. Call it a podcast.
Speaker 3: You all please be sure to subscribe to the podcast, leave us and regul leeb us a review. You can follow me on social at Wainfold NFL and the team at My Dolphins. Check out the fish Tank podcast with Seth and Jews. Check out the YouTube channel for Dolphins HQ, Media availabilities and so much more. And last, butt not least, mind me dolphins dot com Until next time fins up, can and can't rain?
Speaker 2: Daddy, just go home.