Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Kristin Davis, and I want to know are you a Charlotte? Hi? Everybody, welcome to Are you a Charlotte? Today? We have a really fun guest is Caroline Aaron, who was in the first season. She is an incredible actress who has done Broadway film, She's worked with amazing directors and so many incredible parts on television. She's incredible. We have a great conversation. We talk about Michael Patrick King, who she's known forever and loves. So please join us for a fun talk with Caroline Erin. Welcome. Welcome, Caroline Aaron. I'm so excited to have you, so exciting to you. Oh you're so sweet. We I mean, first of all, when they printed out your look at the number of papers I have about your resume. My good lord, I don't even know where to start, but we're going to start with sex and the City because I swear were you. But I mean, there's so many things I could talk to you about. Your career is so amazing, which I knew but now I really really know. And props. Okay, thank you sweet are it's so so so nice. So tell me. I love to ask people what they remember this would have been what nineteen ninety eight?
Speaker 2: Was that the first season?
Speaker 1: Yep, you were on the first season.
Speaker 2: Wait, you're wow? I know wow. And I'm only thirty so that was twenty so I must have been three, So I mus have been three years old.
Speaker 1: Yeah. We were all little babies, all of us.
Speaker 2: Much little babies. Yes, this is what I remember. Of many things that I remember, I remember meeting Sarah. I had never met her before. Okay, I think I said to her, do you have all the same number of organs that I have? Because I could. She was so tiny that I thought she can't also have a gallbladder and a pancreas that little ribcage.
Speaker 1: She's tiny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she was itty bitty. So that was like really different. And I knew all that, you know, I'd met Michael Patrick King doing a play that he wrote. Oh which one it was, I don't even know what the name of this play was, but it was from a long time ago before he was mattress Michael Patrick King, and I was sitting on a white bench popping up and down in Culver City. He'll wow. And then I knew Darren and I knew Andrea King, who was a writer during that first season, but I didn't know, if you ladies right, it was sort of right at the beginning. And I'm thinking when I first got there, I was in New York City during my salad days in that and I went, Wow, I wish I'd had the life these girls had when I was in New York.
Speaker 1: But listen, I felt the same way because I was also in New York City when I was an actress waitress. So I was like, this, this is the life, and I'm just going to try to pretend like this is my life because it felt very surreal. You know. So you knew Michael Patrick years before.
Speaker 2: Yes, years before, I knewhim, and I think I knew Darren. I mean they just asked me. So it was hot off the press, so nobody knew it was Sex and the City.
Speaker 1: Uh huh oh no, you just go, Okay.
Speaker 2: I just want to be there for my friends that are working on something new. It's got an incredible cast with the four of you, and I don't think Evan Handler was on it.
Speaker 1: Then, No, not yet. Harry had not shown up. Yet.
Speaker 2: Harry hadn't shown up. I did a Broadway show with it. So now that you guys have been on for so long and done so much. I probably know almost everybody who's ever been on it.
Speaker 1: Ah. I love that well you I think you have worked with everyone in the industry for sure. What play did you do with Evan?
Speaker 2: A play called I Hate Hamlet?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, I heard of that. Yeah, oh wow, wow, I'm going to talk to him about that. Now. This is what I love so much about you. Like, as much as you are a brilliant character actress, where you can do Broadway film, Woody Allen, Mike Nichols, television, vintage you know, period pieces, blah blah blah, everything, you are also very specifically you like your voice alone is like so evocative, Like I just hear your voice and it's very powerful. So when Mazel came on, I was like, this is like the best thing that's ever happened. We just get so much Caroline, which I really love.
Speaker 2: Right, I have to say that was the gift that keeps on giving and so special, very special and very exciting. And you know, because I'd worked with so many great, great film directors who were all tours starting with I think the very first Broadway play I ever did was directed by Robert Altman one of the Wow filmmakers with cher what Love It, and Chassy was always there and that's Chaz now I understand share and Sandy Dennis and Kiaren Black and directed it. So that was really exciting because it was his first time sort of doing theater himself, and because I've worked with so many iconic filmmakers, and you know, I always say, like, tour filmmakers are different because there's nothing being done by committee. It's all one vision. You die on that hill or you succeed on that hill. And then when I got in Mazel, I went, oh, there's a tours in television too, and you are a part of a show that has a television a tour, and so was I.
Speaker 1: Definitely, I'm doing.
Speaker 2: A lot of TV. I remember one time years ago, I auditioned for something and my agents called me and said, you're their first choice. And I was excited and they went, unfortunately, this time they're going with their second choice.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, And I went.
Speaker 2: Your kid what they said, because you think about it, when something's being done by committee, not everybody's going to have the same first choice. So you and I have to agree, we're going to throw out our first choice. Then we're gonna go to our second choice or our third choice, whatever it is. So when you work on a show like Sex and the City or Mazel or whatever, it's one person's vision and that's pretty exciting.
Speaker 1: I agree, I agree totally. And I don't know, I don't know if people really realize that in a way. I mean, I think true fans realize that, you know, but I don't know if everyone does. And I sometimes wonder if everyone realizes that. I mean, for us also, it's been amazing to also have this length of time working together. You know, it's very unusual obviously, and we have a lot of input, which is great. But it is still Michael Patrick's vision.
Speaker 2: You know, Yes, you're dealing with one person who has this, and you know, I love him and I tested for a bunch of shows, you know, he did a bunch of shows before you did your show. And but he the reason he I think, once he became even like mildly successfully, he either rented or bought this theater in Culver City because he wanted doing work. He wanted to keep turning over the soil of his own artistic imagination. And then you guys snatched him up and kept him.
Speaker 1: Ahha, we kept him. But then he did Two Broke Girls, which you were also on.
Speaker 2: Oh it's right, that was Michael's. Oh that's right, that was right, right, right, right, right, so fun.
Speaker 1: I mean, you do everything like you do multi cam. It's very impressive. What is your favorite?
Speaker 2: Well, I just closed in an off Broadway play here and I had and it was just a two hander and it was just me and this kid and for two hours, and I loved it so and I went, wow, I'm really working for a living now. I had no when you're doing eight times a week and it's just you, it's but you know, I loved it, and I would have to say, it's not the what I would say, the delivery system. Whether it's television single camera for camera or film, indie or studio, or theater Broadway or off Broadway, it's it's the part. Yeah, It's always about what is the part? What are you communicating to people? And who is this person? And that's always going to be my favorite is whoever it is that I'm playing. If I'm very turned on by that, and I like to do a deep dive. I'm sort of a nuisance when you work with me because I ask so many questions.
Speaker 1: Haha. I love it. I love it.
Speaker 2: I'm not difficult, but I'm curious.
Speaker 1: Well, I think that you cannot be a good actor and not be curious. I mean, that's I think possibly number one.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my question for you about choosing roles, if that's the thing that's really driving you, because sometimes for me, it's about the role, but sometimes it's also about who you're working with, which sometimes I make a mistake that way what I'm saying. But I love the like the collaboration. You want to be with people that excite you creatively. But also I feel sometimes when I look at different things that I've done in the past, and maybe there's a practical reason or whatever, but usually it's like some weird, unconscious reason that I choose a role. Do you ever feel that, like something in yourself that you need to express or that hasn't gotten attention or light.
Speaker 2: Yes, you know, I'm always going to be drawn to not repeating myself, you know what I mean. It's like if you were offered like in the next ten years. Charlotte, Charlotte, Charlotte, Charlotte, Oh god, no, yeah, and you would go. You know what, I've already played in this sandbox. I want to play in another sandbox.
Speaker 1: Oh for sure. Oh I've definitely taken parts just based on that. It's not always a great thing, I know, really yeah, no, I definitely have done that. Also because I have now played Charlotte for almost thirty years, which is really plenty. I love her. I would like to keep going, but I don't need to do any other versions of her.
Speaker 2: And you get into the mountain, you know what I mean, You've got to talk with this character. You don't need to do that again.
Speaker 1: You no, so in your mind, like with Mazel. I mean. Also, part of the reason I talk about Mazel is that we have a lot of the crew members from Mazel. You love to remind us, do we have a lot of the camera crew, and they're always like that time on Mazel when we shot a three block with the crane and we're like, we know, it was amazing, you know what I mean, you're still you know, basking in the glory basically, So I feel like we talk about it. I mean also it was such a beautiful New York show, you know, in a different way, in a different era. But so for me like, I love that era so much.
Speaker 2: I know it made me miss my mother every day. I wrote that was published in a magazine. I think the name of the article was called The mother Load. And originally they were going to interview me about Mazel. And then it's like, and I'm sure you feel this too, I really am so sick of talking about myself when you're doing that blot of press all at once, and you just feel like, oh no, no, don't talk to me about me. So then they said they offered for me to write it. Well, right, So I wrote about my mom, sang a mom. It was great where there was an overlap between her mother ing and and Shirley the character. It was putting on the clothes. It was like and I kept thinking, why did I give away all on my mother's clothes?
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And you know, I don't remember it well enough. But one of the sort of like iconic things about Shirley was this white mank that she had all the time with her, no matter if it was eighty degrees up seven, and it was a real mink, and Amy wanted it to be white as opposed to brown, and it went fift decent they searched it out, and then a couple of months after the show wrapped, they sent it to me as a gift.
Speaker 1: It's so sweet.
Speaker 2: That's so sweet, and I go, what will I ever do with it? But maybe it will come back in. But it was those kinds of things, gloves, hats, all those things that my mother always it was just her everyday life, yeah, other things, and I think that made me miss her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, those details. I mean, that's such an interesting thing to think about when you're playing a part, and sometimes when you're doing something on stage. Also because I feel like when you're doing something on stage, they really build a costume from the ground up, you know, in a wonderful way, which changes how you feel and how you're moving and all of those things, which is also true of modern clothes as well. We just kind of take it for granted. But I feel like the details, the details that went into those costumes amazing.
Speaker 2: Are costume design genius. I would come in some days and I'd go, do I have to put on the girdle? You know, and the point you brought out because there'd be a scene where I just be in my road and she goes, yes, you have to put it on. It makes you walk differently, it makes you talk to you know what I mean. It's like, yeah, I cannot believe that women in that aid and during that time didn't have a lot of bladder infections. I can tell you that because none of them I did to go to the bathroom. There was a lot to take off.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I feel you. I mean I can only imagine. Yeah, like even just for sex and the city, there's a lot to take off. And sometimes we're in locations and they don't have nice bathrooms and were like, you, guys, you gotta sweep the floors because these clothes are going to be a wreck because we got to take care of all the layers anyway, and the belts and the wh Yeah, yeah, but yes, I mean Mazel. But I'm sorry. I obviously I'm a big band, So I'm just gonna talk about Mazel. But I'll get off Mazel.
Speaker 2: For my whole life. I loved it so much.
Speaker 1: I'm so glad. Isn't that just such a gift. It's such a gift to have something you guys.
Speaker 2: Have to is that we are all in touch with each other all the time. We will never yah and I kept thinking to myself. I even said to Amy and Dan once and you should ask Michael this too, because I don't know the answer. Did they cast chemistry for us and all those people? I mean, it was unbelievable and they didn't.
Speaker 1: It was just so amazing.
Speaker 2: They just looked out And we still are all very much each other's family, creative.
Speaker 1: Family, absolutely, I mean for us. They also we didn't read together anything like that. I've never met Sarah Jessica, I had never met Cynthia. I've met Kim briefly. But it is just such a very very unusual situation and where and I mean, this is our job, right, Like our job is to go onto a set and to make that work, you know, to connect, but it doesn't always work the way you want it, to write, like you can try and try and try, and sometimes you still don't have that like kind of frision, you.
Speaker 2: Know, doubt and yes you're right. I remember when I was studying when I first came to New York, I was studying with the great Uda Hagen, and one of the big questions was, so I'm in a scene and it's a love scene, and I hate the guy I'm with. I just hate him. I hate what he's doing on Uda. What do you do? She said, you know you use the magic if it says if he's the love of your life, it'says if you can't wait to get your hands on him. Sometimes that works, sometimes that doesn't. And if you can't make it work, you have to quit because you can't let you can't legislate another actor's performance. I'm sure you know urse you've tried to legislate what you're doing. I would never do that to another actor. It's certainly been done.
Speaker 1: To me me too, right.
Speaker 2: Haven't you been to it? Yeah? I'm like, okay, you know.
Speaker 1: Usually by men, by me, by male actors.
Speaker 2: Male actors saying things to me, I will be nameless. But I was doing a movie and the actor came up to me and said, you know, if you if you make it very real, little be funnier, and I went, really, thank you so much for that tip. I'm going to use.
Speaker 1: My god. I was like, oh my god, I had this. I've had two actors say this to me kind of early, like like maybe the first week where you know you're you've got some scene, and these were roles where I'm like the mom right. So you're usually in a kitchen, you know those kitchen scenes. We have all these props, but you're you have like little kind of inconsequential dialogue and the actor has the main he's driving the scene, and so you're just trying to be real, as you said, and do your best that you can do, and you're actually rehearsing. So I was rehearsing the prop work and the actor is standing maybe three feet from me in terms of the director and says she's not going to do it like that is she?
Speaker 2: Oh my god?
Speaker 1: And I'm just like, oh my god. I was like, ah, I was rehearsing, Hello, I can hear you, and I was rehearsing and we ended up getting along great. But in the beginning, I mean, it does scare you, like, oh God, Jesus, is the whole job going to be like this? Yeah, but that's good to know.
Speaker 2: I would never say anything to another actor. So we were really really lucky on Mazel that the chemistry we got for free we did it was just there. We cared about each other and we see each other now all the time. And the opening up the play I just did off Broadway, my pretend son Michael Zigan was there with my real the son of the play. So wow, my three sons all standing there. It was really crazy.
Speaker 1: Oh I love it. I love it so much. Rachel is so nice. I see her at event. She's so lovely and I'm so looking forward to Superman. I feel like she is the star of Superman.
Speaker 2: It is and let me just say, you know, it starts with the umber one on the call sheet, and I kept thinking, why is this working so well? But I'll tell you, and it was Rachel's that it was all of our attitudes. The project was more important than any single one of us. So everybody was bringing their A game to the material and so that was the star of the show.
Speaker 1: The show, Well, that's what we wanted, that's what we tried our best to do.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think you did. Thank you by it because where you are you're still going Massie.
Speaker 1: That's right, which we're just so incredibly lucky. Like do you ever think about your whole career and like when you were starting, what was your biggest dream er? What was your fantasy version of your career?
Speaker 2: My fantasy version hasn't happened yet. Can't wait for it.
Speaker 1: Oh, I love that, Okay, do you want to put it out there? What is it?
Speaker 2: I lived in La you know, for twenty four years, and I said until I came back to New York for Meson, what I used to say, what I want for my career is to know where my parking place is. So I just want, you know what I mean? It was like, I just pray for them. I just pray I would I think I would like to be on a successful, important, interesting TV series for a number of years I've never done. I mean, I did that with Masiel, really great, and I would like to have that back because it's like being a school teacher. You have three months off in the summer. You can do other things that you really really want to do. And although what's going on in our business now is very complicated.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Yeah, this is chaos.
Speaker 2: It's just unbelievable, and who knows where this is all gonna land. But I just keep thinking, you know, artists are the witnesses and it will be our footprints in the snow that a one hundred years from now people will follow and say they'll be watching your show to try and put together what was it like to be like then?
Speaker 1: This is why I'm doing the podcast because I thought to myself, you know, we've been incredibly lucky and blessed to be a part of this thing. And many other people have shared their thoughts about the show and the people on the show and what they think went on or didn't go on. But I thought, why shouldn't we share our own thoughts and memories. So there's like a time capsule because things are changing so rapidly, you know.
Speaker 2: Funny because I was only in that one episode for a minute in the first season, and like even very early on in the first season, and then the show grew up to be it will go down in history, right obviously. And I went to see it Bucks County. I saw the original material from Kandas Bush.
Speaker 1: Oh you saw her show?
Speaker 2: Yes? I saw her show How Great, which was so interesting. Did you ever see it? No?
Speaker 1: She I just started on the podcast. She talked a lot about it. I mean, she's a fascinating person.
Speaker 2: So fascinating. And you know what the set was. Did you tell you what the set was? No? Imagine a set like a stage, and it was all of these different platforms made out of blue sight and on every platform was just a pair of shoes, a hundred pair of shoes.
Speaker 1: Wow, Oh that's a great idea.
Speaker 2: It's a great idea. And yeah, our shoes. I mean I thought about it like we could probably all do that with our own closets, you know what I mean, pair of shoes or that pair of shoes or you know. It's like I did Nora Front's play Love Lost in what Yeah, the same idea, which is I don't know if it's true for men, but it's certainly true for women. Clothes are like electricity. They're conductors of things and events and memories, yeah, that we have in our lives. Like when I went back and looks at the episode, I went, I know that jacket. I know that you know what I mean? It was like, yeah, oh I remember all of that and why I had that on and.
Speaker 1: So great, so great, and the thing that I love about you, and I mean, this is true in all the roles that you do. But when also I don't always remember. Part of what's interesting looking back on the show is like I would never have thought that you were in first season. I remember you so vividly being on because you're such a presence, but I would have thought it was later but first season, we hadn't even been on the air, right, so you definitely.
Speaker 2: Knew that it was the city exactly, you know what I mean. It was like and I, yeah, wonder what people are going to like this? You know, it's oh, it's you know. I when people would interview me about Maisiel and they'd go, why do you think it's a hit? And I would go and it was a When they first sent it to me, I was like, Okay, this is great. Jews will like it. New Yorkers will like it. I guess that's a lot of people. And then it turned out that it blew up internationally and we did press all over the world, and I would ask people all the time, like we were in Milan doing press and there were all these journalists that came in from like Sweeten and Brazil and this place, and I'm like, why do they like? Where do they line up?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Find find a place to relate to. And it was one of the most interesting things that I heard was there was a young woman, a young journalist, I think she was from Sweden, and she said, we see a lot of young women on television, but we don't see confident women our age. Wow, Oh, she's you know, most of the women they were seeing on television, you know, they had boyfriend problems or parent problems or job problems or whatever. They didn't see confident women. And it was so meaningful to her to see a woman who was ambitious and confident in her thirties. And I, wow, isn't that interesting? I thought that was interesting. And also it's about family and everything else, even if it's not even if your specifics are not their specifics, I think. And it's about dreamers dream and I think people like really really responded to that, and so it was a big mystery. And I felt the same way when my friends all started on Sex and the City because I knew Dark, I knew Michael, and I knew one of your writers at that time, this woman Andrea King, who's a wonderful writer. And I think we had become friendly. She was like the editor of the Hollywood Reporter or she'd been in journalism in some way.
Speaker 1: Wow. Oh, I didn't know that, yeah.
Speaker 2: And was like one of her best friends. He asked her, you know, to come to the party, and I remember wondering, people, I don't like this.
Speaker 1: I mean, we wondered as well.
Speaker 2: We were staring to know from you you didn't the scripture, cheating a pilot, you go, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, we knew that we loved it, you know, I think that we had I mean, I know, for myself, I had a sense of how special and different it was. You know, certainly I had been I had been my out of work afterself in New York, and then I had gone to LA because there was more work, right, and then in LA everything was much more you know, soundstagey. The guys are the leads, the girls or the girlfriends, you know, all of that kind of thing. So for me, it was something where I thought that this is like shocking basically that four of us are here, you know, with our own storylines walking around Manhattan at night time, like yay. But I didn't know if it would resonate out in the world, and we all really thought that it might just well, Sirjisca says that she didn't even really think about the success part, which is super interesting. But I do think she's very you know, kind of what you're saying about the part. She's kind of project focused, you know, she's not big picture focused. I myself, I felt like I want this to keep going, and I hope we can get at least a niche type following, you know, and wouldn't that be great?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: And obviously it unfolded in a very different and fantastic way, but we none of us saw that coming. You could never see that coming.
Speaker 2: You know. It was really interesting when I went back and watched this episode. So we are saying it was, well.
Speaker 1: Here did you say the first season ninety eight?
Speaker 2: Okay, so it's ninety eight and there was all of this talk about oral sex for women, and I like, I'm rewatching it now and going that was radical. Yeah, it's radical. It doesn't feel radical right now to revisit it, you know, to have that conversation with your character about when you said I don't like it, and even a woman saying I don't like it, I don't want to do it. It's not for me, and I'm like, going, wow, this is pretty brave.
Speaker 1: Oh, I know, we were scared.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this was really brave. I don't think people can for now can even realize how brave it was.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. Yeah, things have changed in some ways so much, and then other things have not changed, which is really interesting to look at. I remember being nervous about so many elements of it and thinking like, are people just going to be outraged, like, oh my god, turn this off, you know.
Speaker 2: Exactly, nobody should see this. It was like, yeah, yeah, yeah, it would have been you know, you would have thought it was late night cable.
Speaker 1: Right because it did have that element. It did have that element, and there were I remember the press that came out in the beginning, and a lot of it that was kind of male driven reviewers kind of snow, you know, reviewers was very negative, very negative, and part of us was I remember, I'm not a big review person anyway, but it trickled down to me generally speaking, and we were just like, we're not gonna be That's not who we're making the show for. We're just gonna block it out. We're not making the show for these white guys who write for papers, you know. Yeah, And that is a good skill to have anyway, because you can't really do your job if you're worrying about them.
Speaker 2: My daughter told me when she first discovered it, she's twenty at out care. So let's say, you know, she's the second round of audience members for Sex.
Speaker 1: In the City, second or third, Yeah, second or third.
Speaker 2: So she started like, let's say five years ago or whatever it was. So I kept saying to her, so said, why do you like it? What's in it for you said, because it's women talking about sex. We don't ever get to see that. And that was say, that was a couple of years ago.
Speaker 1: That's incredible.
Speaker 2: So that has not happened, you know, like it's it still occupies that own the loan territory, which is crazy. Is that crazy? Yeah, it's crazy, said, some things have stayed the same. Yeah, for young women who want to have that conversation or see that conversation, it was very She felt very much like it was a source for her.
Speaker 1: Yay, I like that. I mean, younger women say that to me, and I'm pretty sure. I'm happy. Like sometimes I feel a little nervous, like, oh my god, I don't know, uh, you know, because we were trying. We're playing very flawed characters obviously, you know, or it wouldn't be interesting. But then on the other hand, I think, no, I think that the main message is, you know, we're representing so many different viewpoints and we're all together in it. That's right, you know, the friends And I think that's a powerful message.
Speaker 2: And for each other. And you're also imperfect and you remember in their Internet Instagram generation, perfection is always being put in front of them and making them feel really insecure. And then they watched this show and it's not about perfection. It's about insuality for women. And I think that's a comfort.
Speaker 1: Really absolutely, thank god, you know, I'm just so so happy to be a part of it. Yeah, it's amazing. I have a pressing, pressing question for you.
Speaker 2: Oh good, I'm excited. I love pressing.
Speaker 1: Are you a Charlotte?
Speaker 2: I don't think so. I mean, let's see, Am I a Charlotte? I don't think so.
Speaker 1: No, what are you?
Speaker 2: I don't know. Let's think. The reason I was saying that I wasn't a Charlotte is I feel like Charlotte stays in the lines of the coloring book, or she used to, and that's where her comfort is is. And I don't think. I think I always felt very other. Oh, and I don't think Charlotte is the character on that show that's other.
Speaker 1: You're so right. Yeah, you're so right.
Speaker 2: And I don't think probably if I had to be one of the four, i'd be.
Speaker 1: Cynthia yeah, Miranda. Yeah, Miranda, you seem like a Miranda to me. She's very intellectual, but she's also like says it like she sees it, you know. Yeah, yeah, I like.
Speaker 2: That, and she's kind of she's willing to go into uncharted territory certainly now in her character. But yeah, four, you know what I mean, she's yeah to go out there and say, Okay, I don't know if this is going to work out for beer or not. Charlotte seems a little risk at first.
Speaker 1: Well, I have to say the funny thing, I totally agree. And I know why you're saying that, because she was so focused on her goal of marriage and whatnot. But when you actually look back when we finished the series, the first series, they did a book called Kiss and Tell, and in the back of the book they put all the guys that each character had been with, and guess who had been with the most guys.
Speaker 2: Now, Charlotte is the slut, so a study girl. I know.
Speaker 1: I also was a little shocked. I was like wow, But I mean, in some way, so in some ways she's got this kind of more traditional picture she's trying to create, right, but she was pretty adventurous in terms of how she was going to get there, which is interesting.
Speaker 2: Isn't that interesting?
Speaker 1: I know, yeah, it's also surprising when I watched, when I rewatched back to the early days, I'm like, wow, I am all over the place, man. I mean, it's fun, it's fun to watch, and I don't I don't always remember those parts, you know, because I think her through line was always this much more traditional thing, which was kind of my role right on the in the mix, and that was it's not really my life. So I had to work hard on making that, you know, grounded. Yeah, but it is interesting to think about it. I mean, yeah, she's she's done some slightly crazy things, but that's okay. It's fun, you know, why not? She has friends with Samantha, so you know, show.
Speaker 2: Going off the air, Sex in the City. How many years was it until just like that? When did that?
Speaker 1: Well, the movies were in between, right, So like for me, it all blends like I have to remind myself of the actual shifts and breaks that happened because obviously, like we're there together still, right, so it still feels like the show, except that we're getting ready to air season three of it, just like that, and I watched the first one. I'm like, oh no, these shows are very different. They're very different. It's so fascinating. You know, same characters, but the vibe, like the way that we shooted and the pattern and the timing and kind of the subject matter, all of it very different. It's super interesting.
Speaker 2: That's so great. That's so great.
Speaker 1: It is it's a very rare situation. But in between, to answer your question, we did the first film I think was released in two thousand and eight. I think we went off the air in like oh four, I feel like wow. And then so then the movie, the second movie would have been roughly twenty ten, twenty eleven, something like that. Then we took a kind of a long break, but we saw everyone we're saying with your cab, So you had a through line, you know personally.
Speaker 2: Right right, and what you guys have, what your own personal lives have evolved. You became mothers, you became wives, you know, all those things happened to you guys along the way, which is which is also very exciting because you do bring that whenever you know, the great director Peter Brooks said, you know that which is truly personal as universal, and we're bringing our personal selves to whatever we are doing as actors. And I think that's really exciting. I agree, gotten to do that through time.
Speaker 1: I agree, you're a.
Speaker 2: Different woman than when you started this show.
Speaker 1: I mean yes, like we were a little children when we started this show. Really, you know, we lived lives like lives multiple It's really fascinating.
Speaker 2: Are you in La?
Speaker 1: I am. I'm in La right now, getting ready to go back to New York. We're back and forth still, which is great. I love to be back and forth. Yeah, I aint't ready to do the press for and just like that, which is fun but also stressful in this new streaming world, you know, because it's just like a blast, like you just blasted out there, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: I took a picture of all of the underwear I had on the years we were going to you know, when you're going through the Emmys and the Golden Globes campaign problems I understand.
Speaker 1: But yeah, yeah, yeah, the shoes and.
Speaker 2: The clothes and the underwear. And I was like, oh my god, I'm doing a show about feminism and look what I have to put on.
Speaker 1: No joke, no joke.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: It's really an interesting thing and sometimes you can go like, I'm not going to do this. I mean, certainly in my regular life, I just wore my jeans and my Adidas and I'm not going to be bothered. But that is the joy of what we do in a way, too write, because if you don't do it for a while, don't you kind of crave the costumes? Yes, exactly, Yeah, I mean too.
Speaker 2: And I a lot. And you know, because Sex and the City has also been about fashion, and I didn't know anything about fashion until I did Masel and I was like, wow, it's quite a subject and it's really interesting.
Speaker 1: I agree.
Speaker 2: I do think that fashion is the breadcrumbs of the times we live in. Yeah, I can know a lot about us from fashion.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, that's a really valid point. And I think our issue, I think sometimes with Sex and the City is that it almost seemed like fashion overtook the actual stories, you know, the actual storylines, and we felt some stress, like it seemed like we were just trying to sell shoes, which was really never our intention. It just grew, you know, and then I think we felt this this this pull away from that when we came back for just like that partly based on the stories. Also, like we you know, there was mourning and death and whatnot. We didn't want to be like running around and head to toe gucci, you know, necessarily. So it's interesting because you want to have the through line be there, but at the same time we're going through different things, so that's going to be reflected and what we're wearing. It's always super interesting. It's always super interesting to think about it.
Speaker 2: It's really funny about on MASL which I never said in any interviews was and this never has happened, is that four of the seven regulars were over fifty. Amazing, amazing and amazing. I'm on a TV show. It's like, who am I gonna have lunch with? I'm the only one who's over fifty?
Speaker 1: I understand, Yeah, we're in the same boat over there. And then just like that.
Speaker 2: Exactly, you're the only one. Then I go, wow, take a note, you know what I mean? Like this, Yes, this could take a note. And it wasn't about being over fifty. No, that it's okay. You could put characters on the air all different ages, and you don't you know, there is this feeling that you know, the thirty and under is where where the pot of gold is. But maybe fairly maybe.
Speaker 1: And also why can't all the stories get told right exactly? Why not? You know? I mean, I know, we're so lucky that we get to do our show. I fully, fully understand that. But sometimes when people are like, you know, are you shocked that you know, you ladies who are over fifty are getting to be on the television, I mean, like, it's hard not to be offended, like, why wouldn't we get to be on the television?
Speaker 2: Well? Why because there it hasn't happened for you know what.
Speaker 1: It is messed up. It's just so messed.
Speaker 2: Up, it's so wrong. I remember I actually sold a television pitch many years ago. I'd never done it before, for a show that I wanted to see about women. And we got to the point of having auditions, and I don't know if you remember this company, Carcy Warner.
Speaker 1: But Marcia, yeah, of course.
Speaker 2: I put a friend of mine down on the list to come in an audition, and after she had she's a brilliant actress, and Marcy went like this to me, what is she thirty? Like that? And I went, no, she's not, But I said, because I played my daughter in a play and so I know her, and I went, but I said, so is the moral of the story that when you get your period you shed just cut up your sad card? And she said pretty much that's what she said.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. I mean it's so I'm saying. But I do remember as a young actor being so worried that I wasn't successful. I wasn't successful until I was thirty, and I was like, well, I'm only going to have ten more years and it's going to be over. That's it, right, because that was how we were brandwashed, and.
Speaker 2: Everybody seemed to accept it as a truth exactly. Every time that truth gets disproved, like by your show or our show or whatever. Yeah, like so relieved. Not no, not that they catch up to that truth.
Speaker 1: No, no, I know they forget immediately.
Speaker 2: They forget immediately. But it's like, that's what I want to see, is like I want to see everybody. I'm we too. I want to see it all. I want to see young people and older people and old old people and yes, the human ex yes, what our.
Speaker 1: Job, yes, yes, yes, God, yes, all right, you're a joy. Thank you for joining us.
Speaker 2: So great, give my love to everybody.
Speaker 1: Thank you. I will, I will, I will I talked to Michael soon. Okay, bye, k bye, honey,