Speaker 1: You can watch the original episode we'll be discussing in every other episode of HBO's Curby Your Enthusiasm, including the new and final season, on Max.
Speaker 2: You can also watch the.
Speaker 1: Video version of the History of Curby Enthusiasm podcast on Max and YouTube, as well. Links available in the episode description. Hello everybody, I'm Susisman.
Speaker 2: Who are you.
Speaker 3: I'm Jeff Garlin, one of America's.
Speaker 2: Top teams, and we are on season five of Curby Enthusiasm, Episode four, and this episode is Kamikazi Bingo and Jeff and I have both said not our favorite episode.
Speaker 3: No, but I want to say that on paper it was funny, it just didn't It's not like Larry Misses with the outline, it's just how it's put together. It just didn't work.
Speaker 2: From me, and quite frankly, I would say out of we have one hundred twenty well not counting the pilot special, we have one hundred and twenty episodes, and the number of episodes that maybe don't quite work are very few. Really, yeah, less than five.
Speaker 3: Easy to be two, three, I don't know, but this one.
Speaker 2: I mean I could think of two right off the bat, including this one. So so there's not many is.
Speaker 3: One of those where he flushes the toilet and it hurts his ears.
Speaker 2: No, I wasn't thinking we haven't done that yet, so I forgot about that. Well, but that one, the one that didn't work was that one in season one, what was it, the chiropractor one that.
Speaker 3: Was well, By the way, I also want to say, that's based on a real the acupuncturiss therist.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that really chiropractor one was last season of the season before with Josh gadd okay, Josh y yeah.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, wait wait wait wait wait, that guy is based on my acupuncturists and Larry's and we.
Speaker 2: Established that at the time. No, but we did the episode, I.
Speaker 3: Know, but that guy really set them flowers and right, he never sent me flowers. I was okay with that, but.
Speaker 2: Something just didn't work. And then in this episode, same thing. Something's not working for me, but we'll discuss it. Yeah. So we start out with at Hannah Sushi where Cheryl is having lunch with or dinner I'm not sure with with Yoshi and Larry walks in, and when Larry walks in, all the sushi chefs call him chicken Kara yaki boy. And they start clucklook, cluck and doing all these crazy things Sushi and they.
Speaker 3: So he you know, knowed, they know they.
Speaker 2: Know him, they know him as Chicken Terara Yaki.
Speaker 3: But because by the way, those guys greet everybody in a nice, big way because they know somebody, I can see them doing this, but again it's a seed you don't.
Speaker 2: See coming, that's right. And they're clucking and they're clucking and they're moving their arms like they do in the Funky Chicken. And Cheryl is sitting with Yoshi, who was Greg Watana be and Yoshi bows at Larry and Larry's nuts about the bow. He loves the bow. He feels like we need humility in the bow and that we're all too cocky.
Speaker 3: See his performance for me, by the way, everything he did was good, but it didn't make sense. What I mean by that is him being so quiet and committing suicide. You need to see the look in his eye because when people are vulnerable, they wear masks, and he was. He was vulnerable from the worst first. Yes, in the very beginning, yes, and that was not in the script, I mean the outline, but it.
Speaker 2: Was an acting choice of him.
Speaker 3: Yeah. But when Larry talks about what we're going to get to his father being a kamikaze piet, and he has doubts about it. Then you see the transformation from you know, affable guy to that. All right, So I'm always going to give my directing problems because these are these are not script problems, they're directing problems. I don't like it.
Speaker 2: Cheryl and Yoshi are talking about sculptures and Larry says he'd like a sculpture with a big penis and big balls. It's the kind of sculpture that he's looking for. And then he sees on the table a little scratched in thing that says Kofi was here, scratched in, carved into the table, and it's kind of like a they discussed it's a low life, a thing way to do.
Speaker 3: But also this is also a seed and where it goes was not worth.
Speaker 2: It doesn't work. It doesn't work. That's what I'm saying these things.
Speaker 3: And by the way, the last one with the guy not a director's fault, but a director could have adjusted the performance or Larry could have. And I don't remember saying anything on the set because I just want to be clear that I'm not just blaming the director. This is a casting slash. Everyone's fault and the guy's good.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah. And then we established Yoshi's father and Larry's father are in the same nursing home and that they're friends, and Yoja.
Speaker 3: Gave Cherry gave the old person condescending Oh that's so cute, yes, as if when you get to that age, you know you're adorable.
Speaker 2: And and Yoshi says that for his dad's eightieth they took him to Japan and he hadn't been back since the war, and he saw family and he saw his military buddies. And Larry asked what he did, and Yoshi tells him he was a pilot. What did he do in the war?
Speaker 3: He was a pilot.
Speaker 2: Really, you're kind of a Kamakazi pilot. Wow?
Speaker 3: Wow, will he be dead?
Speaker 2: Not all of them died a Kamakazi pilot.
Speaker 4: It kind of implies that, you know, Kamakazi pis is a pilot who crashed and died.
Speaker 2: Right, he's thank goodness for this, you too, What did you say that?
Speaker 3: But what happened exactly?
Speaker 2: Did he did he try and crash the plane into a ship. He grazed the ship a Kama Kazi pilot, and then Larry says, well, if it was a Kama Kazie pilot, wouldn't he be dead? And he makes a good point.
Speaker 3: Well, by the way, I also would guess that some Kamakazi guys lived, of course, Yeah, the ones that went right into the boat and exploded. Okay, that's true Kami kazi. But sometimes they do something it doesn't work, and they're still alive. I don't know if when they get back the generals go, you should be dead.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what's going on? We're not that familiar with the whole Kamakazi protocol. But Larry will not let up on this. He really really pushes it. He's like, well, what happened? And Yoshi is getting very upset, and he goes he grazed the ship and Larry's but Larry's like push it, like would the last second he changed his mind, and you see Yoshi getting more and more uncomfortable, and then Larry orders the chicken kara yaki. And this also was not totally believable to me, and he says chicken many many times.
Speaker 3: So what wasn't believable is Larry would have realized that he wouldn't make fun of the grazing like it took it too far. I understand inherent curiosity, but it went too far. And then this one sang chicken that much, and then later on saying it was an accident, which I believed.
Speaker 2: He believed it was a little weird.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I tell you what it was. It was Larry. Larry ordered the chicken and said chicken. I can believe that.
Speaker 2: But he said chicken like four or five times. No, but looked at.
Speaker 3: Him and said chicken.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It was fucking weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And you see that Yoshi's uncomfortable. And then we cut to poker game at Kevin Nielan's house and it is lu Schneider and Jill Rosenthal and Alan Kershenbaund and you and Larry playing poker, and Larry tells him about hiring a private eye because he thinks that he's adopted, and Phil Rosenthal asks about how Lewis is and Larry says, no, there's something wrong with him, something with his kidney. And all of that is really just adding the PI and adding Lewis's kidney is just set up for later episodes. Nothing happens about that in this episode. And then Kevin's wife comes in with snacks and we find out that she's Yoshi's sister, and Yoshi's supposed to be playing with them, but he never showed up.
Speaker 3: But again, a guy with that personality, how would he fit in that game? No?
Speaker 2: Not really, it's media or a comedy writer.
Speaker 3: No, no, But I'm saying again, not believable that this.
Speaker 2: Career quiet hanging out with Louis and you all comedy guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, the audience, I'm a manager, but all the people at the table are comedy people.
Speaker 2: Yoshi was supposed to be playing. And then we established again that their fathers are friendly, and Larry says he's going to go there tomorrow to play bingo and he thinks he's gonna win because he's a great bingo player. And then the phone rings and Kevin answers it, and we find down.
Speaker 3: Hold On, doesn't he asked the sister about the kamikaze thing? And then and then Neilan says, no, a lot of them lived.
Speaker 2: I don't remember that.
Speaker 3: Maybe exchange keep going.
Speaker 2: And then Kevin answers and we find out that Yoshi tried to commit suicide and they quickly run out.
Speaker 3: For me, I believed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I believe that also.
Speaker 3: And by the way, really is great in this episode.
Speaker 2: However he is. However, I felt like it was a little bit of a waste of Kevin because Kevin is so so funny, and he was not allowed to be funny really in this episode.
Speaker 3: But by the way, I curb a lot. That's me. But as he just because to be funny, I believe. No, I yes, you know what I am on the show.
Speaker 2: Kevin was playing a serious part. You don't play a serious part.
Speaker 3: Well no, but I'm saying he was great. I believed every part of his thing. So I don't think it's a waste. I think it's just an acting job for Ketch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, but I just think Kevin's so funny that I enjoy him being funny.
Speaker 3: You know. They even sent me a note after last season about how grateful he is that I lay the pipe, that I set up what's about to happen, and then he wrote, somebody's got to do it, and it's me. Yeah, I've get lots of opportunities to be funny, but a lot of times I'm just saying shit, that's going to lead to something. You know, and I've actually figured out a sports analogy. I'm like a tight end. Sometimes I have to stay in the block, and sometimes I get to score a touchdown. Like that's the only player. Because I went through all the sports and if anyone knows football is listening understands what I'm saying. You get some good, big catches, but you also day in and protect the quarterback.
Speaker 2: Mister Larry David, I'm the cheerleader.
Speaker 3: I've just pictured you in a cheerleader outfit, with the way you are even as a girl, that's fucking Did you didn't wear in a cheerleader were you? Yeah? I would bet everything.
Speaker 4: Then.
Speaker 2: So then Kevin and his wife leave to go to Seyoshi and Larry says, I just saw him last night, and Jeff you said, does he seem weird? And Louis says, was there anything he was humiliated by say that to me too on the money.
Speaker 3: And I was really jarred from the scene because I didn't remember that because mine's a naive question of like I'm curious that one is like, Hey, I'm going to give you some meat that everyone's expecting you to eat.
Speaker 2: So we'll be right back.
Speaker 5: Stay tuned, Okay, we're back.
Speaker 2: So then everybody's like, you know, what do we do? Do we leave? But you don't know the alarm and you don't have a key, and there's a pizza coming.
Speaker 3: Oh, we're here. We are here.
Speaker 4: That's true because you know, I had to really to get out tonight.
Speaker 3: I'm kind of happy to be anywhere, and you know, we can't leave the house. They're gone keys, I don't know the alarm caught or anything. And a pizza is coming. Got a pizza coming? Yeah, I got a pizza coming. And he tried. He didn't actually kill himself, very distinction because tried.
Speaker 2: If he said he tried to, he just didn't, which means he's alarmed.
Speaker 3: Okay, is it?
Speaker 2: So of course you gotta stay. And also and he tried but he didn't actually do it.
Speaker 3: And but also when he comes back, he'll be happy that we're here. Someone said that. I don't know, but I like that part. Actually, I believe that it.
Speaker 2: Was sad to me to see Alan there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, our friend Alan Kirschenbaum, who was in the scene. Alan didn't say much in the scene, No, he did. He spoke the least.
Speaker 2: Alan was Freddie Roman's son. For people who don't know that.
Speaker 3: If anyone is listening and they know who Freddie Roman is, please write in. I'll give you an autographed album.
Speaker 2: Freddie died recently.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I mean yeah. By the way, I met Freddie, I'm not even kidding you forty years ago.
Speaker 2: Oh up to the.
Speaker 3: College shrip in Florida.
Speaker 2: You know. He came into the restaurant I was working in, and the fellow waitress of mine knew him and introduced me. She said, friend of mine wants to be a comic. I think I've been doing it for a few months. And she introduced me to Freddie and he told me years later he remembered meeting me and remember thinking, oh, this poor kid, she'll never make it. He was wrong.
Speaker 3: Well, by the way, I also want to add I had a moment like that that really surprised me. Well, what's the gentleman's name who runs Discovery HBO? Your friend David Zaslov. David Zaslov. So I'm in Barney Greengrass, and what's his name? Green Grass? Who owns it? Oh? Gary, Gary green Rest comes over and this has happened before. One of my customers would really like to meet you. He comes over very unassuming, and I'm very nice. But at a certain point I looked at him and went, wait, you're my boss. You're my boss. You're in charge of everything that I could possibly do on screen. And yeah, he was very nice. He's not getting the greatest press, but very I found him to be very nice. And how lucky are we that it's this fake Krby is his favorite show?
Speaker 2: Well, he came to said, I don't know if you were there this season. Oh yes you were, because but what I.
Speaker 3: Want to say is all these shows had these huge cuts on so many levels. He left us alone.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, but he was. He's only been our boss for this past season before that, but.
Speaker 3: The idea that our show is his favorite show and he won't touch it. He's a good guy that he's cut everything else. He's a good friend and he's a good guy.
Speaker 2: So all you guys are still playing poker and yunking it up and laughing and smoking cigars, and Kevin Nealan walks back in and he's like, what are you doing. He's appalled, and Jeff says, I told you guys you should leave.
Speaker 3: I know, I turned, Yeah I did.
Speaker 2: They a little fucking liar, But the.
Speaker 3: Best line is a subtle little line in that scene. Phil Rosenthal delivered it perfectly. I took an orange.
Speaker 2: I took an orange. And for those of you who don't know, let me just say, because some people might not know. Phil Rosenthal was the creator and executive producer, and everybody loves a guy.
Speaker 3: And he's been on the show a couple of times. Yeah, and he's really hit it a couple of times. But when he said in the he knew how to deliver it how it needed to be said, and he said, I took an order.
Speaker 2: I took an orange. Well, he's you know, he knows what he's doing.
Speaker 3: And I just because everything's loud and bouncing, and right away, I took an orange, like he wants to admit.
Speaker 2: To that beautiful And then Kevin kicks them all out, and Larry says, Larry says to Kevin before lose, did Yoshi mention my name? Because he started to have an idea that maybe it was about him.
Speaker 3: Larry's character is always about like wondering if it's about him.
Speaker 2: Yes, And then he gets home and Cheryl's there and she says, did you hear about Yoshi? And apparently he sent Cheryl a suicide email, and Larry wants to hear the suicide email because he's afraid that it's about him.
Speaker 3: I'm sure that this has happened, but I never would have thought of suicide email. I think that's fucking brilliant.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And Cheryl says it's private. Larry says, we're married. You get the sex, but you get all the information too, And he wants to see it, and and Cheryl says, if you would should have seen it, he would have copied you the computer all that.
Speaker 3: So Larry the character is like your share whatever. And he and I have a policy when we talk about something, we don't tell anybody else. You might be the only other person that could get involved with a Larry discussion because you're very close with Larry, and you're closer than I am that people want to know. But we're very close with Larry anyhow, it's a strict policy, and especially your significant other.
Speaker 2: Next week, cut to Larry is at the old age home. He's playing bingo and you're clearly enjoying himself. And NAT's girlfriend is sitting next to Nat and she tells him you're so noisy. She says to Larry and Larry all of a sudden Bingo he is bingo and Lenore who is the checker.
Speaker 3: The character of Larry and real Larry never would cheat. Never. He has to feel really good about his accomplishment and whatever he does, so you know when you're watching, if you watch the show, he's not lying, because we would firmly establish on a sheet that that wasn't calling and that to be a storyline, which it is of him faking winning. But this is really funny because which it sets up I think a really funny run.
Speaker 2: And did you notice that Leonore the checker. I know Milly, that's right, Anne Morgan Gilbert who played Milly on The Dick vand and that show.
Speaker 3: Mary Tyler, Moore's best friend The Neighbors with Jerry, the dentist Jerry Parris, who also had a career. He was a very successful television director. I mean I didn't know that, Oh happy days did Dick Van Dyke show all of them? Jerry? I never got to work with him. I wanted to, but he directed a ton of TV shows.
Speaker 2: Milly also played the grandmother on The Nanny and Not Millie and Morgan Gilbert, who played Milly, also played the grandmother on the Nanny.
Speaker 3: And that, by the way, just like you mentioning Freddie Roman the Nanny. You couldn't pay me to watch it. I've never seen it and I wouldn't watch it. All I needed to see was a commercial for it, and I just say the words.
Speaker 2: I'm out, So Angela Patton plays Ruthie, and Lenore, who plays by Milly, says.
Speaker 5: Okay, I'm sorry, sir.
Speaker 2: I did not call I seventeen. I never did. He's not correct, I did not call cheat.
Speaker 3: All right, let me see that pet.
Speaker 5: No, you're not what nobody checks out?
Speaker 3: Well, why can't I check out your pet?
Speaker 2: Because I never let anyone look at my pat. Good for you, Leonor, she's really obnoxious this Ruthie and Larry wants to see her pad, and then all of a sudden, Ruthie has bingo. Larry wants to see Leonora's pad and Leonora doesn't show anybody the pat and Kevin and his wife are with Yoshi and his wife's father, and Larry says hello, and the father is very cold to him, gives him the cold shoulder, and he asked about Yoshi Yoshi's doing.
Speaker 3: The father doesn't say a line in the episode.
Speaker 2: Not one line. Tanaka Tanaka is his name, And Yoshi's home doing fine apparently, and Kevin says, don't pretend you're concerned. And you were there yucking it up and having pizza, and Larry says, we thought about him between hands, like she's so, And then Kevin tells him you're the reason that he attempted suicide because you humiliated him over the whole comic coaze thing. You taunted him and you called him chicken, and Larry says, there's a big difference between saying you're a chicken and have a piece of chicken.
Speaker 3: So and he also was like, no, that's what they call me. They call me yocky. And in this moment, Cheryl backs him.
Speaker 2: She says, yeah, well no, no, she wasn't here right then, this is.
Speaker 3: Late mistake I've done that I jump this is.
Speaker 2: In the nursing home. And then Larry tells him that Kevin ran out and he owed him three hundred dollars and Kevin says, I'll give you chips back, but you have to call Yoshi at home and apologize. So Larry says he will call Yoshi at home and apologize and he does call him to apologize, and as he's apologizing, he's eating pistachio nuts. Oh hey, Yoshi, this is Larry David.
Speaker 3: Oh hello, Larry.
Speaker 2: I'm actually I'm calling to apologize.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry if I said anything that might have been inappropriate.
Speaker 3: I didn't.
Speaker 4: I don't really mean anything to happen.
Speaker 3: I was just kind of curious with the whole comm thing. You know, are you are you eating something?
Speaker 2: I'm eating pistachio nuts.
Speaker 3: You're eating pistachio nuts while you're apologizing to me, yes, so you can't be sincere about apologizing then snack on pistachio nuts. Well, I can eat and apologize.
Speaker 2: There's no pistachio crunching and apologizing. You can't be sincere, you know, with eating pistachio nuts.
Speaker 3: And by the way, how funny was it seeing him in the chair crunching on the shells because he asked later were there shells? Yeah?
Speaker 2: But Kevin asked later where they shows, you know, are you eating something crunching? And he says, you don't snack and apologize.
Speaker 3: Which, by the way, who thinks of that, but Larry David. But they never did that on the Nanny. The nanny never had a crunchy apology pistachios, and.
Speaker 2: Larry says to him, did you mention me in the suicide email? He will not let go of that either, and Yoshi hangs up. Next, Larry runs into the doctor, and the doctor, who is played by Matt to Caro, writes a prescription for his father for some new blood thinners, and Larry tells the doctor about the bingo that there's something very fishy going on about the bron though.
Speaker 3: The way it's done is they get the prescription out of the way, yeah, And it's one of Larry's one more thing, yeah, and he really wants to do an undercovering the whole thing.
Speaker 2: That's like a Columbo moment. It one one more thing, yeah, yeah, And he tells him she called my number, and then Ruthie wins and Lenora gives her a dollar. How much do you want to bet that she's getting a fifty cent kickback? And you know, Larry says, go in there, take you a little smock off. He says to him, take you a little smock off. So the Doctor's like, you want me to go on to cover? And he was terrific. Matt to Carro is a doctor. I loved him. And next Larry's at the pharmacist and the pharmacist he doesn't like the drug that's on the prescription. He would likes a different drug better. Have you ever had that experience? Me? Yeah, that the pharmacy act in that store.
Speaker 3: That store was in Pasadena, that drug store I always remember where we filmed stuff. And I'm in the aisle watching. I'm not in the video village. I'm just watching from an angle. But on the shelf behind Larry top shelf is adult you know, diaper per se and this is the actual name of the product, Sir Dignity, Sir Dignity and Lady Dignity. And I began doing commercials for the Dignity things and Laura found them very funny. But that's my memory of that scene, the fucking dignity stuff, because I've not seen it since. Maybe they make it. Maybe the pharmacist is Sir Dignity. I don't know.
Speaker 5: We'll be right back, Stay tuned, and we're back.
Speaker 2: Larry goes through a whole thing about doctor, pharmacist, doctor pharmacist, who do you trust? And then he decides to go with the pharmacist and then Larry runs into the doctor outside of the nursing home and he says, any progress on the Bengal business, and he's like, keep your eye on this Ruthie. I don't trust her. And then he tells them that the pharmacist disagrees with his prescription just.
Speaker 3: Came from the pharmacist.
Speaker 4: He kind of wants to go a different way with the medication, sort of disagreed with you. The pharmacist. Yeah, he wrote out a drug here.
Speaker 2: I don't know what it is, but I.
Speaker 3: Need a prescription from you.
Speaker 2: For this.
Speaker 3: You need a prescription from me for something.
Speaker 4: The pharmacist has suggested. He was quite passionate about it, you know, he deals with this stuff.
Speaker 5: All the time.
Speaker 4: I'm a doctor, Larry. Well, he's a pharmacist, yes, and I'm a doctor. He's a pharmacist, doctor, pharmacist, doctor.
Speaker 2: Pharmacist, doctor, pharmacist. And the doctor's not happy about this, but the doctor gives him a new prescription. And then Larry enters the home and he hears.
Speaker 5: Fuck me, I want you.
Speaker 4: Fuck me.
Speaker 5: It feels so good. Oh oh, I want your big.
Speaker 2: Cock, really really loud, fuck me. I want your cock.
Speaker 3: By the way, I don't know who did that voiceover or if it was really coming from the movie. So he's walking around, Look, nobody knows.
Speaker 2: All these old people know.
Speaker 3: And they don't notice. And he knocks at his father's door and walks in. I was really surprised that on the screen was real hardcore. It was really hardcore porn.
Speaker 2: She's yeah, I'm very loud, very loud.
Speaker 3: But I'm like, what the fuck. I was shocked that we did that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't remember. I didn't remember that until I saw it watching.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was like, wow, I didn't remember.
Speaker 2: Larry turns it off and then he says, there's something fishy with this. Bingo does Ruthie win a lot?
Speaker 3: Hold On? Hold On, hold On. He comes in and he says, with it, why is it so loud what I'm watching? And what I found funny about it, you know, as they were discussing it, is that there is no you'd think he's watching Captain Kangaroo. The way he's watching the porn is like you're watching Colombo right there watching it And I found that hilarious.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and he got mad.
Speaker 3: And he goes, I'm watching I'm watching I thought that was really funny. How you can move on.
Speaker 2: So then he says, does Ruthie win a lot? And and Nat says, of course she wins a lot. This woman is a winner. He says, you know, he's in love with her. And then Ruthie enters when she's not happy to see Lat and he tells them about Yoshi, and he's talking to Nette and he says to Nett, he didn't die, and that's what he's going and he says very loud, die die die, and the doctor walks by and sees Larry screaming at Ruthie die die again. I didn't love that scene either.
Speaker 3: Well, by the way, I want to say that if that scene was subtler, I would get it, like just you know, yeah, yeah and die and they go oh or two diys tops all right, just saying too many.
Speaker 2: Larry then goes back to the pharmacy and he tells the pharmacist the doctor was upset, and he sees the tag on the pharmacists shirt and says his name is Kofi, and then he says to him, have you ever been to that Japanese restaurant across the street And he's like yeah. So then Larry immediately makes the assumption that this is the guy who carved his name into the table and decides to go with the doctor. He doesn't trust this guy anymore because he's a carver. Next, Larry and Cheryl are at the Japanese restaurant.
Speaker 3: By the way, I want to say a little thing about this with him at the medicines. It's blood thinner. His dad really needs blood thinner. And I believe this. He's so involved in his own adventure that the real thing is he's not getting his head.
Speaker 2: This medicine medication.
Speaker 3: But I completely believe that because he gets caught up in the world of Larry.
Speaker 2: And there at the Japanese restaurant, and he tells her about Kofe and the pharmacist, and Cheryl's just on her BlackBerry and she's not even paying attention to him.
Speaker 3: Hold on, hold on, hold on. How ahead of the curve were we?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: This was?
Speaker 2: What year was this? Two thousand and five?
Speaker 3: Louis. People have a different reason for their heads in the phone. What I have to do is it wasn't popular like it is now when I was married to Marla. But I have to ask Sari when we have a meal, can you please put your phone down in a way.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I have rules. The phone is not allowed on the table. It's not allowed on the table.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, let me just say something. You have respect. No one respects me. So when I make a demand, it's not a demand. It's like, could you could you please my children, my ex wife, as I mentioned, very close with my friends what I say. That's why I love talking to young comedians. I do love it because they're hanging on every word, and I'm like, oh, finally, I'm just saying. Everyone just falls asleep when I talk.
Speaker 5: All right, I'm moving on. I'm moving on. Cheryl is checking her.
Speaker 2: Black Ferry and Larry gets upset about that, and Larry gets up to go to the bathroom. And as he gets up to go to the bathroom, the sushi chefs start with the chicken karaiyaki boy and cluck cluck, cluck, chicken cluck cluck.
Speaker 3: Yoshi Yoshi, great, this.
Speaker 2: Is great, And just then Yoshi and Kevin niel And walk in and Yoshi freaks out and runs out like a little wuss that he is.
Speaker 3: And by the way, I completely believe that, uh huh, because sometimes people walk in when things are going with the timing, and I believe the chicken thing, and I believe he'd run out. I'm just saying, you know, because we said a few things during this episode. We're like, I don't know, but this one you believed.
Speaker 2: And then then another guy walks in, a dark haired guy looking nothing like the pharmacist, and Koffee is here, and that's kofee. It wasn't the pharmacist. This guy who walks in, and Larry walks out to Kevin, and Larry says, I kept my end of the bargain, So fork up the money you owe me.
Speaker 3: Like I said, the Koffee run it didn't.
Speaker 2: It was nothing run nowhere. That does happen, especially me when I'm doing stand up.
Speaker 3: You throw it out there, we'll see.
Speaker 2: So Kevin says, that's not a proper apology that you made. I don't owe you the money because you were eating pistas while you made the apology and there was shells and it's not a proper apology. And then Larry challenges him, all right, I want my money back. It's going to be double and nothing at Bingo tomorrow night at the nursing home. Then Cheryl's suicide, BlackBerry I don't know what that meant. That wasn't really no, she got more info on it.
Speaker 3: But that's when she comes in and defends Larry. That scene right, the chicken thing, and because that's a rare one where Cheryl calmly will go, yes, he's Teriaki chicken boy.
Speaker 2: Next word bingo and Nat tells Larry he shouldn't be there, and they're playing and you see them very competitive he and he and Kevin are marking the things with that little, you know, colored thing, and Larry gets bingo and a lady points to Larry and says he's the one that tried to kill Ruthie. And all the old people are giving him dirty looks, and Larry tries to explain, but then they all start getting up and coming after him like some bad horror movie.
Speaker 3: Yes, but it reminds me, you know, they're all zombies. But yeah, even though it's absurd that they all would get together and go after him, it worked comedically. Like comedically, that's the kind of scene where you can't overthink it.
Speaker 2: And why do I have hear Kofe was here? Did he say something about Kofe was? I don't know why I have that then they come after him. Kofi was I don't know, and then Tanaka Yoshi's father is an electric wheelchair and then goes.
Speaker 3: The line the zombies the people. Yeah, they make a lane for him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, make a lane with anger, with anger and venom. And he goes after Larry. And that's the end of the episode.
Speaker 3: Okay, but the next episode Larry was walking. Fine. We didn't attend a funeral. Why do we do that? Yo, it's so funny. We'll have a storyline for the season. It's gone for the next season. Like you know, a show is always just oh, they're gonna be working at an ice cream shop.
Speaker 2: We've had We've had so many. I was pregnant with the baby.
Speaker 3: We never had the baby, and then it was the sun in the other But by the way, what else we did, which is a throwback to the fifties, like the Honeymooners whatever. We would use the same actors two or three times in a different part. And because Larry came from that era, the Bilco era, what have you where a guy was a cop in one episode Bully. Yes, And I've always pushed for two things. One is, if you're doing a comedy, you say something funny. The other person either comments because they don't find it funny, or they laugh. I really think I mentioned this before. I swear. I think we're the first television situation comedy where when one person says something funny, the other person laughs. And by the way, it's kind of essential. I know, you gotta leave, We're done, you know what.
Speaker 2: But don't you remember they used to do that on the Carol Burnett Show. They used to break up and laugh all the time.
Speaker 3: Well, that was on camera. And by the way, my favorite scene ever on SNL is the cowbell scene. And in that scene, there was no way not to laugh. And those guys tried to keep a straight face. They couldn't. And it makes that scene, which is funny as hell, so much funnier. Christopher Walking, he plays a producer, I need more cow bell and Will Ferrells hitting the cow bell. I just watched it the other day. I was laughing. I've seen a hundred times. I'm gonna watch it when we hang up of.
Speaker 2: That, okay, and we're gonna be back next week.
Speaker 3: We will, and by the way, it'll be very exciting.
Speaker 2: Goodbye.
Speaker 3: Thank you for listening.
Speaker 5: The history of carp Your.
Speaker 2: Enthusiasm is the production of iHeart Radio. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio
Speaker 1: Visit the iHeart Radio Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.