Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio. What a crowd, What a crowd, beautiful day. Can't say the same for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Weather was where some rain is expected, but this crowd got here early and they are ready to go. Eight seven seven three DP Show email address dpat Danpatrick dot Com. As always, stat of the Day is brought to you by the great folks at Panini America, the official trading cards of the show. The history, the tradition, the spectacle, the excitement, the drama. Usc Notre Dame Saturday on NBC and Peacock. We will talk to Jerome bettis here momentarily. Mike Golick Senior. Big Mike will join us coming up here in a little bit as well. Seaton poll question from our one and then what are we going to go with an hour two hour one? We got up there?
Speaker 3: How much you think the Steelers are going to regret last night's loss? At least sixty two percent of the audience have.
Speaker 2: That as a lot.
Speaker 4: They're really going to regret that a.
Speaker 3: Ton I'm putting up one right now, but I need help with the over under here. How long do you think Kurt Signetti will get into his contract before getting a new one over under four years.
Speaker 2: Oh you think he's going to double up and get another one in four years?
Speaker 3: Maybe he gets another one, Maybe the contract is no longer active. I'm not sure exactly what it is. I'm just throwing at these big contracts like that. They never go the distance. He's gonna end up beating a bunch of people getting into the playoffs again, getting into say like the top four there and then later I've done thirteen million.
Speaker 2: Sound a little better? Oh okay, I thought we were skewing negative that he won't last through the contract.
Speaker 3: Also a possibility, also a very distinct possibility.
Speaker 2: Wow, okay, I'm going to root for the best. That he's sixty four years of age and what is it eight eight years? Yeah, in his contract, I'll root for the I'm mister positive today, Yes, Todd, are you going to be negative here?
Speaker 5: No, I'm going to.
Speaker 4: I hope he's last, and I hope he stays a long time. But it is one of those coaches that spends many, many years in Indiana, lives a happy, healthy life, a couple of titles.
Speaker 6: All right, Yes, it is really a fascinating week though, because Indiana has never been a football school, and this is the biggest commitment they've ever made in their history. I mean, this is this is like it was like you know what, or get off the pot. They said, We're going to put all our chips in and keep this guy.
Speaker 2: Are they still a basketball school?
Speaker 7: They'd prefer to be a basketball school.
Speaker 6: But currently, if your football coach is making more than your basketball coach, you're temporarily a football school.
Speaker 8: Like Indiana, football is having a run right now, right, but they're still It's almost like North Carolina.
Speaker 6: It's a basketball state, yes, and it's a basketball college, but right now things are going the way of football.
Speaker 4: Is this the only part of the state where football is king?
Speaker 2: Probably? Okay, yeah? Probably? By the way to meet for we got burgers, meatballs, we got reverse seared Porterhouse steaks. We got mashed potatoes, green beans, skillet corn bread. We also had a fan named Don who brought some Polish sausages from a local butcher.
Speaker 7: Is Don here, Don the sausage Guy, Don.
Speaker 2: The sausage Guy, the sausage King of South Yes, Don brought his sausage sausages blural plural plural, Yeah, who is it better than we do? Jerome bettas Hall of Famer Notre Dame running back, and he's got a lot of things that he is working with the Jerome bettas Bus Stops Here Foundation. We'll talk to him about that. He's also got a holiday toy drive on display as well. Bussy, good to talk to you. When I say USC the first thing that comes to mind is.
Speaker 9: Hey, we hate USC absolutely.
Speaker 2: More than Michigan.
Speaker 10: Yes, more than Michigan, but it's slightly more me being from the state of Michigan. I may have a little different opinion, but USC is is our biggest rival, no question about it.
Speaker 2: But you did well against USC, then you I never lost. I got you in nineteen ninety one, you had two touchdowns Notre Dame one by four, and then in ninety two you guys won thirty one twenty three. What do you remember about those games?
Speaker 10: That they were all, you know, really good games. And USC has always been competitive. You know, they had a couple of years and they've kind of slid a little bit, but it's always you know, that big game. And what I always remembered about it is if you play well in that game, then everyone in.
Speaker 9: The country knows your name. You know what I mean, it's one of those games.
Speaker 10: Where if you can have a big game, you become my household name around the country.
Speaker 9: That's the kind of game that it is.
Speaker 2: Did USC recruit you?
Speaker 9: They did? That was the one of the three visits that I took. Actually, yes, I took.
Speaker 10: I went to Michigan, USC and Notre Dame and USC was just too far away. But I remember seeing uh Junior Sea when I was on my visit and he had a tank top on and I said, who.
Speaker 9: Is this guy looking like Zeus?
Speaker 2: I said, who is?
Speaker 9: They said, that's what you say, he's going to the NFL.
Speaker 10: And I was just I thought to myself, if that's what all the linebackers look like.
Speaker 5: I'm in.
Speaker 2: Uh, those linebackers found out quickly they were in trouble when they were trying to tackle you. You did tell the story, didn't you have somebody that it almost sounded like they were weeping or when when they tried to tackle you. Was that in the NFL where I heard a little a little little scream or little cry.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was.
Speaker 2: But how often didn't guys make business decisions? You think with trying to tackle you?
Speaker 9: A lot in the later part of my career.
Speaker 10: The early part of my career, guys were trying to take me on and you know, I, you know, broke a guy's shoulder at the play for Baltimore and did this, did that, and so a lot of guys later on saw the kind of the curnage. I said, Okay, that's not for me. And the latter part of my career, guys started going to my ankles and in lower extremities.
Speaker 9: They didn't want to take me on a file.
Speaker 2: Okay, but what's the one tackle that somebody got the better of you?
Speaker 9: Oh? My goodness?
Speaker 10: Uh the one we were playing a Tennessee Titans and Mike thom Zach he threw me the ball late and he knew.
Speaker 9: He shouldn't have threw it to me.
Speaker 11: So I go to catch the ball and as soon as I catch it, I get I get cracked and my head hit the hit the ground first. So you know that was a bad one because I'm a big guy. In my head usually didn't get there before my butt.
Speaker 2: Where you who hit you?
Speaker 10: I was not concussed, No, And I cannot remember who uh the I think his name was Bolden Bolden, but he played for Tennessee Titans, and he was he was a good linebacker.
Speaker 9: But I should never have had a hit like that on me, and uh, I got up.
Speaker 10: I'll never forget went to the I went to the huddle and I just looked at my job.
Speaker 2: He was like, sorry, bro, what happened to your Steelers last night?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 10: They You know, I think sometimes these things are psychological, right, and you hear the what well coach Tomlin says about Flacco, right, and then you go out and lay an egg. But you have to look at it and say, Joe Flacco is a capable quarterback when you don't get pressure on him. When you get pressure on him, then you know he can make some mistakes. And that's just what the Steelers couldn't do last night. They could not get pressure, consistent pressure on Joe Flacco. And when you have those receivers on that roster, it's gonna be hard for you to cover the entire field. And Joe Flacco was hot and he sliced the part my Pittsburgh Steelers and didn't look good.
Speaker 2: Okay, but this is what I don't understand. Steelers always have great defense and here you are giving up thirty points again that I think The big question was receivers, running game, Aaron Rodgers offensive line. That doesn't seem like it's the problem. It feels like it's defense with this team.
Speaker 9: Yeah, when you score thirty points, you should you should win the game.
Speaker 10: I mean that's just how how it works in terms of in Pittsburgh, because that defense always shows up and is.
Speaker 9: Ready to play.
Speaker 10: The problem is they're they're just not getting the production, uh in that front seven, which is putting the guys in the secondary, uh, you know, at risk. They're nobody's playing well. Let me say that the back end they're not playing particularly well. And the front seven, those guys they're not. Uh, they're giving up too much yards in the run game. This one thing that still has never gave up was one hundred yard rusher. And so to see Brown have one hundred yards that was discouraging.
Speaker 12: Uh.
Speaker 10: And then to be able to not put Flacco on the ground, that was a huge problem.
Speaker 2: Mike Tomlin ever yell at you.
Speaker 9: I know I missed Tomlin, so I when I retired.
Speaker 10: Coward was in this last year, okay, uh, and then he left and then Tomlin came.
Speaker 9: Uh a year later.
Speaker 2: The coward yell at you yes he did.
Speaker 10: He yelled at everybody, and I mean he was a spinner, so you can't understand.
Speaker 2: That was yeah, but wasn't lou Holtz didn't he?
Speaker 9: Yes, I was. I was.
Speaker 10: I was fortunate to have double spinners. But the key, the key is don't screw up. So I screw it up, very very little I got. I didn't get as much that the juice that somebody else got.
Speaker 2: You should have worn the Ladanian Tomlinson shield then you could have.
Speaker 9: You know, they weren't out there. You better believe I would have had a shield.
Speaker 2: Were you famous when you were on campus here your senior year?
Speaker 13: Uh?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 10: Because so I left after my junior year. And what happened was I had a really good sophomore year. So yeah, I was maybe a popular, but I wasn't like So we had to get rocket Ishmael Now.
Speaker 9: Rocket when I was there, he was a star. Okay, they had to They.
Speaker 10: Had to take him out of the hotel in the laundry basket type things. I mean, he had that kind of people out there looking for him, and he was he was a star.
Speaker 2: Hold hold on, Rocket gets in the laundry basket to then get out of a hotel to like, yeah, so he can.
Speaker 9: They can take him out in the back and put him in.
Speaker 10: The car and drive him away so that you know, it's got crazy because he couldn't just walk out the front.
Speaker 9: Door, uh type thing.
Speaker 10: You know he was he was a rock star when we were at Notre Dame because he had done some amazing things. Myself, I was a really good player and on you know, on the cusp if you will, and everybody knew who I was, but it wasn't the rock star uh stype type celebrity.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but are you talking to like boy band celebrity for rocket ismail Like there were women out, girls outside screaming and waiting for really.
Speaker 10: Yes, It's like if he came down the elevator, you would see a crowd rush over over there where If I.
Speaker 9: Came down elevator, everybody say, you know, and I do the.
Speaker 10: Way, Hey, if he come down, they would kind of rush over there.
Speaker 2: Uh, tell me what you're doing with the Drone Bettis bus stops here Foundation.
Speaker 10: Well, we were at the bus stop hir Foundation. We're you know, extremely excited about our cyber bus program.
Speaker 9: We've got our second bus that.
Speaker 10: We've been very fortunate Bluebird donated uh a new electric bus to us. We got it retrofitted thanks to the CEXT Foundation, and now we've got we've got it ready and prepared to go to the rural areas of Pittsburgh, Washington County, all those areas where there's kids that that still need access to uh the technology that we're able to provide. And then we also have our first bus that goes into the the housing Authority there in Pittsburgh and represents the Bus Stops Foundation and helps a lot of kids there and parents and grandparents. So we're just proud of the things that we're able to accomplish there in Pittsburgh and UH just it warms my heart. And then are our Christmas holiday toy drive. We're trying to get get toys and what we do is we give them the families that are that are having a difficult time uh during the holidays that that need uh you know, kind of a hand up, not a handout, and and we kind of provide that for them uh and their.
Speaker 9: Children on the in the holiday scenes.
Speaker 10: And so things that we're trying to do in Pittsburgh and try to stay connected.
Speaker 9: To the community.
Speaker 2: Always great to talk to you, Bussy, thanks again for joining us.
Speaker 9: Thank you appreciate it.
Speaker 2: It's a Jerome Bettis on the program. Yeah, known Bussy a long time. In fact, I go back. I have a Jerome Bettis La Rams jersey and that that would be a collection. You know, it's in my man cave in Maine and it's got the you know, the Ram colors and uh but Bussy gave me that a long, long time ago.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Paul, he was so cool in college because he had that number six and he was one of the first guys to go really with a different number and he was so big and then you had the little six on his jersey.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Marvin, he's in the same category as like Marshall Falk and sa Kwon Barkley, where he was so great as a Steeler, people forget he was a Ram. Yeah, Like people don't remember Marshall Falk with the Colts, then I can to remember Saquon Barkley with the Giants.
Speaker 4: So like man, he was a RAM.
Speaker 2: I remember talking to a defensive back and he said, you got to swear that you'll never mention my name. And he said he played against bus and he said that he got hit and it hurts so bad that he actually started crying, and he didn't want anybody to see, so he doubled over to make it seem like, you know, he got his Chester's stomach and he said, I was I was doubled over. I was weeping. It hurts so bad. But he said told.
Speaker 7: You that I guess that defensive back.
Speaker 2: We're playing, all right, everybody gets one guess?
Speaker 7: Sorry? What position did you say?
Speaker 2: He was a defensive back? Oh? Defensive back? Sorry? Sorry, yeah, if you want to make one guess, but I'm not going to tell you if you're right or not, because I promised this guy that I would not say his name. Defensive back who cried? He actually shed tears. It hurts so bad. When he tried to tackle Bus Marvin.
Speaker 4: I'll start with you, Al Harris from the Packers.
Speaker 2: Al Harris, I don't think he was a defensive back.
Speaker 4: Oh you mean like safety.
Speaker 2: He almost tricked me there, He almost tricked me there, Todd Steve at one, I knew you were gonna say that because if you don't know anybody else, so you had a Bronco Seaton.
Speaker 3: I wanted to say Rodney, but he would never admit to almost crying.
Speaker 2: No, No, Rodney Harrison was on the kickoff squad and he would try to get knocked He would go down there and try to hit you so hard that he would get knocked out. And that's how Belichick saw him. He saw him with the Chargers and he goes, I want that guy on my team. And Rodney is a Hall of Fame defensive back. PAULI.
Speaker 7: I'm gonna go Rando, Mark Carrier, safety.
Speaker 2: Mark Carrier, Tampa Bay.
Speaker 7: Yeah, little bear's old Tampa. Okay, all right, I thought I catch in your face. We get We'll never know.
Speaker 5: We'll never know.
Speaker 2: It's a secret that I'll take into retirement.
Speaker 4: Yes, Marvin, you said, what team did he play for?
Speaker 2: I didn't and you almost tricken go either way. You got new gear. That's the Notre Dame. If you're watching on Peacock, that's the new hockey logo.
Speaker 9: There.
Speaker 5: So awesome.
Speaker 2: That looks great. You're decked out for a guy that is a Connecticut Husky.
Speaker 8: No, I'm a fighting Irish. When you think of Irish, this is what you.
Speaker 7: See, Marvin, Old Prince.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and your hands are similar to the hands on the.
Speaker 4: I thought we're having a good day.
Speaker 7: I am, there's a scale.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's take a break. Uh. Mike Golick is going to join us here and we'll get more of your phone calls. Also, the athletic director, Notre Dame Bavakwa. I want to ask him about how do we salvage this rivalry between these two schools. We talked to Marcus Freeman yesterday. I don't think he wanted to answer it, but I had to ask it because I was like, why does USC not want to continue this rivalry? That'll be coming up a little bit later on. We'll take a break. We're back with Mike Golick.
Speaker 5: Who are you calling?
Speaker 2: Song?
Speaker 7: What?
Speaker 2: Mike Golick Senior will join us next year on The Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 5: Paully Foods Go here with Tony Foodsco.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 14: As everybody knows, we're the hosts of the award winning Polly and Tony Foodsco.
Speaker 4: Show.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 14: But instead of us telling you how great we are, here's how Dan Patrick described us when he came on our show.
Speaker 2: Quick, knowledgeable, and funny opinionated.
Speaker 5: What are you doing interrupting our promo?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you wasn't talking about you.
Speaker 5: You took those clips totally out of context.
Speaker 14: Oh yeah, well, after this promo, I'm gonna take you out and beat you.
Speaker 7: Let me put this into context.
Speaker 14: Yeah, anyway, just listen to the Paully and Tony Fusco Show on iHeartRadio. Apple podcasts oherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: YEA.
Speaker 2: A couple of phone calls, we'll bring in Big Mike Gullick. How about James in Virginia? Hi, James, what's on your mind?
Speaker 13: We're gonna go inside of him. We're gonna go outside of him, inside of him, outside of him. We're gonna get him on the run. And once we get him on the run, we're gonna keep him on the run. We're not gonna pass. We're not gonna pass unless our secondary comes up too close, unless our secondary comes up too close, and we're not gonna stop until we cross that. Go right, and don't forget men. Today the day we're gonna win. Today, Today we're gonna win.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Thank you, James. Hey, you captured the moment from Rudy quite well. Yes, Marvin.
Speaker 4: That's the first time he sounded how he looks.
Speaker 7: Wow Wow, the deep cut.
Speaker 1: Mar Wow.
Speaker 2: Anything else you'd like to add, James, Man, I.
Speaker 13: Just I love the interview yesterday with Hadago Man. She was amazing, dude, what a great woman she is.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 13: I can't wait to see how Sey Flourish is this year. Man, and just so excited for this weekend. Then let's go Washington, Man, Salu the commanders, and let's go Irish.
Speaker 4: All right here, all right, that's the James I know.
Speaker 2: Come on now, James in Virginia. All right. He is Mike Goliic, senior, co host of Gojo and Golic on DraftKings Network, former defensive lineman, of course, a member of the Fighting Irish Alumni, and great to see him again. We welcome in Mike Golick Senior on the program.
Speaker 13: Alright, alr.
Speaker 2: There he is, or used to be Big Mike, but not anymore. Medium Mike is what they call him. Now.
Speaker 15: Two quick things first, Uh, sorry to do this, but we Mike and I change network for it. FanDuel now God yeah, yeah, killing sorry, Todd.
Speaker 5: I'd just get the memo on then. I just figured i'd get that out.
Speaker 2: He wait, let me give you the correct plug.
Speaker 15: Yeah, it's Golik and Golic. Now we went from Gojo and Golic to Golo and go Gojo and Golick and Golic Fando Sports Network three to five afternoon. Okay, all right, and second thing, that second thing who said Steve Atwater and Rodney Harrison cried, I mean seriously, I mean you for those that aren't old enough google Steve Atwater and Christian Nakoye. Christian Nakoya was a two hundred and fifty pounds back for Kansas City that ran a straight run up the middle. Steve Atwater came and dropped him, dropped him where he stood. And Rodney Harrison, you don't have to saying those two would snap their forearms and not cry. So those were those I was stunned when I heard those two names, but.
Speaker 2: You could I don't know if you can imagine this, but like you have to make that business decision with your own bettas there's certain players where you go, this is gonna hurt.
Speaker 15: And I've always got asked about And Jerome's rookie year was my ninth year, my last year in the league, so I didn't play against him. But people always ask how would you have tackled like Derrick Henry? And I said, as a D lineman, you don't get that back at full speed. You know that back when they get to the second and third level and all of a sudden, that dB is looking at that back going okay, do I hit.
Speaker 5: Him in the thigh? Do I hit him in the ankle?
Speaker 15: Do I hit him in the chest and make that businesses. But as a D lineman, we rarely got him at full speed, and we were bigger than him.
Speaker 2: But when you think about the running backs you played against, like Emmett, you played against quite a bit, quite a bit, but he wasn't fast. He was like the running back version of Jerry Rice. It didn't seem like he was fast. But nobody ever caught Jerry Rice from behind, and Emmett seemed to get faster better as the game went on.
Speaker 15: That's why you know you talk about Jerry Rice running the four to six at the combine was too slow. Well, there's forty speed, which you rarely want to run a straight ahead forty and there's game speed, which is a different thing. And Emma could drop his shoulder and deliver a blow as good as anybody. Tony Dorsett was a guy you could never get a good hit on. He always turned his body at the last moment. You could never get a solid hit on him.
Speaker 5: EMMITTT. Smith, I hit as hard as I've ever hit anybody in my life. Out of bounds.
Speaker 15: I had a full speed run and he was going toward the sideline, and I mean I clocked him, clocked him, and I hit him. And as I was going down, I'm like, oh, yeah, that one hurt him, and he bounced up and ran right back to I'm laying on.
Speaker 5: The side and go, what the hell just happened.
Speaker 15: It's like a boxer giving your best punch and the dude just kind of shaking it off.
Speaker 5: You're going, oh, well, I'm screwed.
Speaker 2: How would you describe this rivalry with USC Notre Dame and why is it on the cusp of ending?
Speaker 13: Oh?
Speaker 5: I hate USC? I mean I hate USC.
Speaker 2: But are you you were taught that growing up?
Speaker 15: Well, I mean, listen, I have a different perspective from notere. My brother Bob came here as a freshman in seventy five. I was twelve years old, so I grew up basically coming to Notre Dame games. And then my brother Greg came here, and I was more with my peers before I got recruited to come here. I mean USC recruited me, but there was never a thought. And when both my kids both my son Mike was a junior, he was down with Urban Meyer getting recruited to Florida, and Jake was a sophomore and was down there with him as a recruit. And I told the boys there, I said, listen, don't go to Notre Dame because me and your mother and your uncles went there. And I rattle off everybody that went there. I said, you go where your heart takes you. I said, except USC. I said, you can't go to USC. That's a non starter.
Speaker 2: Why are we on the verge of ending this rivalry?
Speaker 5: Well, I mean, listen, Notre Dame.
Speaker 15: I's going to sit there and people are going to listen, say, oh, he's blaming USC. But it is on USC. Notre Dame hasn't changed their independence. We haven't changed anything. We still play the same schedule. No FCS schools, all FBS schools. Now it's ACC schools, been big ten schools. But the Michigan rivalry is somewhat over USC, and I get it to a point where they're doing it, they're gonna have to play They playing nine conference games and they have to be careful of their non conference schedule to make the playoffs. So there's part of me that understands their reasoning. But then the Notre Dame part of me comes in and says, just schedule us.
Speaker 2: Well, if you had a scheduling, SAR, or if we get to that point, then you're going to have Notre Dame in Michigan, and then you would have Note Dame in USC. It would be mandatory. I mean, we're in the entertainment business. That's why we've expanded the playoffs. That's why we're going to expand March madness. I just I would hope that there is somebody and maybe this is ten years down the road when we have the top forty schools in America, right right, Yeah, and then you can have this is your schedule this year. Maybe you don't play USC this year, but you're playing in next year. Maybe you play Michigan. That's what I think we need. I worry about when you have these schools and you take before a big game, you always have that cupcake. Now, I know the cupcake is a payout game, right, but it's still haven't we gotten to the point where let's just play a really good schedule.
Speaker 15: Well, I mean, teams are in schools are thinking about the playoffs. But the thing about it is like Notre Dame has two losses, two losses to the number two and number five team in the country. If Notre Dame runs the table they're in, they're ten and two, they're going to be in the playoffs.
Speaker 2: If they could lose tomorrow, they lose.
Speaker 5: They're going to be done. If they get a third loss, they're.
Speaker 15: Going to be done because they can't win a conference, so they're going to be done. And they put themselves in this tough spot kind of like last.
Speaker 5: Year a bit.
Speaker 15: But the two team and when the committee looks at the two losses, as long as those two teams keep winning, they're going to be like, well, those are quote unquote great losses.
Speaker 5: But to play USC anymore would probably be early in the.
Speaker 15: Season, conference games being later in the season, so it would have to be done early in the season if it's going to continue. I mean, it's the ninety sixth meeting, the only one that's been longer is Notre Dame Navy and that's ninety seven.
Speaker 2: What was your first reaction when you saw Rudy? I mean, it is a documentary.
Speaker 5: Do I have to answer this question? Am I on the hot seat for this question? There were some Hollywood.
Speaker 15: Things put in there to make it a little more than maybe what it was. So the story is great, right of not being a recruited athlete going to Holy Cross, finally getting your chance, but some of the things on the inside of that maybe didn't happen.
Speaker 2: So you didn't buy into this even though this is your alma monum.
Speaker 15: My brother Bob was a freshman when when Rudy when the Rudy story, when Rudy was in his last year, and my brother Bob, if you ask him, he doesn't even remember. Rudy doesn't remember.
Speaker 5: And now Rudy was defensive show team.
Speaker 15: My brother Bob was on the defense going against the offensive show team, so he wouldn't have a chance to play against him on the field.
Speaker 5: But still they were teammates.
Speaker 2: And did your brother turn in his jersey like everybody else did that they weren't going to play if Rudy.
Speaker 5: Remember I talked about of Hollywood embellishment. Can I get a t o here? Yeah? Again?
Speaker 15: Great story, great, great, you know story of a kid who wasn't a top athlete getting on the team and getting in for a play and such.
Speaker 2: He's Mike Golig Senior squirming in his seat right now. He is, him and his son are on FanDuel Network.
Speaker 5: Todd, Sorry, Todd, Sorry.
Speaker 2: It's okay. You've been consistently bad. Okay, don't worry about it. You know, how do you keep these coaches in place for a longer period of time? We grew up in an era where coaches stayed for decades. But here's Marcus Freeman. Who I mean, everybody loves Marcus Freeman. I think they looked at him maybe for the NFL last year. You know, is Penn State going to come knocking on the door? The money that is there now? You know the price with you know, coach Signetti getting eleven million dollars a year. How do you keep these coaches in place for a long period of time?
Speaker 15: First off, let me say, stay the hell away from Marcus Freeman, all right, stay away from my coach?
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 15: He is a great coach. He's a great recruiter. Why they're coming after Listen. I know he just got extended I think last December. If they have to, you keep extending this guy as long as you have to to keep him here. I mean, listen, Dan, everybody every complained about the players having movement, and I do think while I'm happy the players have movement, happy the players are getting paid. Being able to move every single year is really really tough, But coaches have been able to.
Speaker 5: I mean, Kurt Signetti signed that eight year, ninety two million dollar.
Speaker 15: Extension and he still could sign somewhere else next year if he wanted to, Right, he won't. He's really done an incredible job with that program, but he could.
Speaker 5: Extensions really mean nothing.
Speaker 15: The buyout may get bigger, but you always have alumni that will buy it out. Dan, there's no way under the current system, there's no way to stop the movement. And quite honestly, head coaches don't want to stop this movement because they're going only be one new coach at Penn State. But if five are talked about, those other four are going to get extensions at the school they're atting.
Speaker 5: More money, so they don't want it to change either.
Speaker 2: What's going on with the Big Ten with this pension fund and you know, two billion dollars.
Speaker 15: Oh, the private equity firm, I think, I think the worry there for this.
Speaker 5: It would be split.
Speaker 15: There's eighteen teams in the Big Ten and then the equity firm.
Speaker 5: There'd be split twenty ways. Basically, I think.
Speaker 15: The one point of contention for any kind of private equity is what kind of power do they have. I understand they wouldn't get a seat on the board. It all depends on the power that you have. There's one thing to happen to pay a portion of your money to somebody, but it's another thing if that entity has power, and that's what they don't want. There's already enough cooks in the kitchen, already enough. You talked about the possibility of just forty teams. At some point it would probably be more than that. But as my son Mike and I argue about this all the time, he thinks that's going to happen. But I'm like, I don't think commissioners can work together. Greg SANKEI would have to be the top man. He's not going to accept anybody else running anything he wants to run. And I don't mean that in a bad way, but that's kind of the position that he's in. So I have a hard time believing even the power for conference commissioners could all work together to secure kind of going away from the NCAA and just forming one one conference.
Speaker 2: March Madness is going to expand. It's not a question of if, but when. And I mean it used to be special to make the tournament.
Speaker 15: I mean, we've had so many coaches and we's had John Calipari on the show, and every coach we've had on is just like, why why are we You know, we already have to call the play in games round one, which I don't do. They're playing games. Now you're just going to have more playing games. I mean I have. But a team can say we made the tournament, No, you didn't. It's really a play in game, even though you're not saying it's a playing game.
Speaker 5: I don't understand why they're expanding.
Speaker 2: But we're going to expand college football playoffs.
Speaker 15: We are, But I think sixteen is more palatable than seventy six.
Speaker 2: But we're not stopping at sixteen.
Speaker 15: Oh it better stop at sixteen. I mean, how far can you go? I mean have you have? When do you start games? I already think they wait too long to start games. They should start them earlier. Then you get into Christmas, then you get into school, which that's another thing. We've we lost the student athlete moniker. But there's a but. But the lower divisions have figured out playoffs, haven't they. They've been doing it for years and they figured it off. And Division One has always been like, ah, we got to think about the players and the games until the money gets too good, kind of like the NFL and gambling.
Speaker 5: No we're not.
Speaker 15: No, can't wait a minute, how much can we make? Oh wait, let's have gambling. Okay, So again, it's no secret it's all about the money.
Speaker 2: Did you know the point spreads when you were playing?
Speaker 5: No, I had no idea. Quite honestly. I've worked for DraftKings and FanDuel and I still don't know the points spreads. I really don't. I mean, we don't talk.
Speaker 15: About like the gambling and this point spread and stuff on our show. We just do it like a sports show, like like we used to do in the old days.
Speaker 12: Okay, but so when you played for the Eagles, No, you had no idea, no idea, no clue, zero idea, no idea, And I don't know if any players did, but but I I had no idea at all.
Speaker 2: Why is Notre Dame a nine and a half point favorite tomorrow?
Speaker 15: That seemed coming off the USC destroying of Michigan and Mayava the quarterback and Lemon the receiver?
Speaker 5: How good they are and the line?
Speaker 15: Their line is on their fourth combination, but they've only given up four sacks.
Speaker 5: It's either too strong offenses.
Speaker 15: I was surprised that the spread was as big as it is, but again, as a former player, I never cared about the spread. If we won by a point didn't matter to me.
Speaker 2: We got the w Where are you going to be for the game?
Speaker 15: I'm actually calling the game for Notre Dame Radio. Ryan Harris normally does it, but he has this little thing, this fiftieth Super Bowl Anniversary for the Broncos that he's going to, of which I wish I had a Super Bowl, you know, United to go to. But he's going to that, So I'm actually I'm actually calling the game.
Speaker 5: Awesome, Yeah, that would be fun. A family here, No, I'm here by myself, soaking it all in. Nobody wanted to come with me.
Speaker 2: We were at linebackers last night. The line, Oh I'll be there, I'll be there to We were there last night. Yeah, yeah, it's uh.
Speaker 5: There is no doubt. I don't want to get graphic, but there's no doubt my vomit is still somewhere in there. There's no doubt that it's still in there. Yeah.
Speaker 15: Yeah, great place, just a great place has been changed. Don't don't wear open toe shoes in there.
Speaker 5: Just don't.
Speaker 2: Great to see you. Todd, my senior, he doesn't work for draft.
Speaker 4: Was a few months ago. Ready he went from Driftings to Fangil GoJ It's Golic and gold.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I wait three to five Eastern. Yeah. I thought I would text at you, but I was like, I was like screwed up. Like he's a phenomenal producer. He knows.
Speaker 4: All times of change.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Fox the big noon kickoff at Michigan and they're going to be in Utah. So me once Friday, it's Brady Yeah, big intro to Brady Quinn. He's like, Uh, I'm not I'm not here. I'm not in Michigan.
Speaker 5: You did play it? Noted you did?
Speaker 4: When you got that right the game for no Dame on the week and.
Speaker 15: There you go, you're like hitting three hundred, you'd be a multimillionaire bass.
Speaker 2: Mike Golick Senior and you'll find him on.
Speaker 5: Colic and Golic.
Speaker 4: Go know where I got that gojo for them with Goliatholic on FanDuel.
Speaker 2: How about we cut our losses. We'll take a break back after this with the most must win game of the weekend. After this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 2: Let's look at the games sliding into the weekend. We'll start with Notre Dame in USC. What would be the other recommendations there, Paulie.
Speaker 6: I got a bunch for college I like to throw out there, LSU Vandy, both of those guys, one of them goes away.
Speaker 7: Georgia Tech. They're undefeated and they got Duke.
Speaker 6: That's saucy old miss Georgia, Texas Tech undefeated, Arizona State.
Speaker 7: But there's that's the that's a college slate.
Speaker 2: Okay, You've got the Falcons and the Niners. Is that a big game? Did it become a big game because the Falcons beat the Bills.
Speaker 6: Falcons have momentum and with Warner out for the forty nine ers, that could be saucy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I'm trying to think if there's any other great games in the NFL, I mean the Rams and Jags. Unfortunately it's in London. Eagles Vikings.
Speaker 5: That's good.
Speaker 7: People aren't sure what to think about the Vikings shed.
Speaker 2: Well because JJ McCarthy's not playing. Yeah, and now it feels like it's Carson Wentz's job. The let's see. I still think Miami and Cleveland. Brown's only because what could happen if the Dolphins lose this game is Mike McDaniel coaching for his job. Colts Chargers, that's good. Colts are getting one and a half against Chargers, Commanders Cowboys. Commanders minus two and a half against Cowboys. Just some of the games. As we slide into the weekend, courtesy of the great folks Kings Hawaiian, go to the Bakery or Delhi section of your local grocery store and pick up a pack. Best Week in Sports? Is that what we're doing?
Speaker 6: Who had the bwis the best Week in sports?
Speaker 2: Dand oh okay, Todd I'll let you go first, who had the best week in sports.
Speaker 8: I'm gonna go recency bias after seeing the Dodgers go up three games to nothing and a chance to sweep tonight, the Los Angeles Dodgers, in particular pitching staff getting it done against the Brewers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the starters have been unbelievable, all.
Speaker 3: Right, Seaton, kind of obvious. I mean, he's been having the best two years in sports. Really a Kurt Signetti in Indiana football, they're just rolling right now.
Speaker 2: By the way, the Dodgers first team to allow one run or less in four consecutive postseason games since the nineteen ninety six Atlanta Braves.
Speaker 16: Stat of the day, stat of the day, that best stat of the day, stat of the day, stat of the day.
Speaker 6: Best week in sports, Paul, I'm gonna go college football fans in the state of Indiana. You got your coach for the next few years, and it looks like you're gonna have a good football program for a while. And Indiana has never been able to say that. And I think the Marcus Freeman rumors to Penn State have gone nowhere.
Speaker 7: I don't think he's even considering it.
Speaker 6: Notre Dame football is in the best shape it's been since the Lou Holtz era.
Speaker 7: So college football in the state.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but we just throw out these names. I saw where somebody said, maybe as Joel Klatt, that Penn State's search should start with Nick Saban. Nick Saban doesn't want to get back into what is college football now?
Speaker 4: Yes, Marvin, Yeah, he's going to the Cleveland Browns with Arch Manning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was another one that was rumors started like, oh, he's gonna go to the Browns with Arch Manning. Well, how's that going right now? Because Arch isn't leaving, isn't ready, and Nick is doing great, He's doing fine. You know, he doesn't wake up with a loss, you know, at any point in you know, his college football season. Marvin who had the best week in sport Recncy bias.
Speaker 8: Also Joe Flacco unbelievable night last night off the couch, forty one years old.
Speaker 4: I see hot lets go.
Speaker 2: He doesn't seem flustered, he doesn't seem bothered by anything that you never know if he's winning or losing. Here is Joe Flacco on having the opportunity to play with these great receivers in Cincinnati.
Speaker 17: Just with the simple things, not the fact that they went for eight hundred yards obviously, but you could see it. And then today what I got to see was just how a defense has to treat those guys and if you don't treat them a certain way, they can hurt you. And if you do treat him a certain way, well maybe we have some other guys that can get.
Speaker 4: The job done.
Speaker 17: So today I think I got to see just the problems they create in general. Last week I said it earlier this week. Last week we didn't do anything crazy, but you could see those guys are different, and it's pretty cool to be the thrown well.
Speaker 2: Having Jamar Chase, I think I could complete a couple passes, I do. I think he's that good. He had sixteen recess so I think he was targeted twenty three times. Like, at what point do the Steelers defense go, I think they're going to throw the ball to Jamar Chase, we should cover him?
Speaker 6: Yes, paulin Flacco in Spanish means skinny, Flacco in Italian means flaccid or weak.
Speaker 7: Wow, back to you, dad, just throwing that in there.
Speaker 2: Have you had a Flacco kind of day? Todd?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I feel bad that's the Quinn thing and the Gullic thing.
Speaker 14: I know you guys, I'm sure will remind me to make sure I don't feel better at a time it's not on us.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Tom,