Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys Let's go.
Speaker 3: Are you ready for a break? Yes?
Speaker 2: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 4: Absolutely?
Speaker 3: Ready for a break?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And so much for that.
Speaker 1: It's time for The Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com. Were on with Ambar Garcia, Brian brought Us, Patrick Walker and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 6: It is Wednesday, May fifteenth, twenty twenty four, Season twenty, episode number seven. Welcome to the Late's edition of The Break, presented by LG. We are live from SWBC Mortgage Studios at the Star, and today we got a lot of things we're going to try to get into. Talk a little bit about the schedule release which is coming up later tonight. There is one game that has already been released, and we'll have a little bit of talk on. We'll talk some about the rookie minning camp and some of the things you guys saw last weekend when the rookie showed up for the first time here at the Star, and then we'll start our position analysis.
Speaker 2: We're gonna do a little bit. I'm gonna combine a.
Speaker 6: Little bit of my business school background and football and we're gonna do what's called a swat analysis on every position on the team. We're gonna start today with the quarterbacks, maybe get to the tight ends as well. We'll see what time looks like as we go throughout the show, but I'll explain that when we get to that segment. Let's start first with schedule release. It comes up tonight. We have some fun stuff planned for you fans tonight that will when we release the Cowboys schedule. But there always has been one game that has been released by the NFL. Week one Cowboys will travel to Cleveland, and I think, well, let me first just say I would love for all you guys to tell me what your thoughts are on the game, but I'm just gonna start it with two words, Miles Garrett, and I'll toss it out there and let y'all go.
Speaker 7: I think three words baptism by fire for Tyler Goyton. And of course this is as we have the conversation, Tyler Goton still has to earn the starting role at left tackles, so he's going to have to go through that crash course this summer that we talked about, and that also includes what he's doing across the street with our friend Duke mini Weather. So he's putting in the work. He started fairly early. We're in the airbnb only two days after the draft. After he got the draft call. He wanted to get to work and so he did. But there's no other way to paint it other than Miles Garrett is going to put him through the ringer, and he better be ready because he's going to have to learn real fast what it feels like to go against one of the best pass rushers in the NFL. Five time All Pro, five time Pro Bowler, raining the NFL Defensive Player of the Year. We're about to find out exactly what Tyler Goyton can do at the NFL level.
Speaker 3: Any thoughts on that one, ag Well, I mean it was interesting.
Speaker 8: So yesterday the coordinators and the coaches got a time to speak to the media, and it was interesting more so than just gutting the the the battles and the shuffling around the O line and the guys that are planning to try out kind of at center. And we thought, you know, we've talked about Tyler. Uh no, no, no, TJ Bass is what I was saying. TJ Basses and there's so many names with teams and but it's it's interesting because it's gonna be a really good competition just to see more so than just Tyler guy and what he's doing there. Yes, that's definitely gonna be a big challenge. But we know that the O line works as a whole and it's a whole effort, team effort there.
Speaker 9: But BB TJ.
Speaker 8: Bass kind of competing at the center position and seeing what that's gonna look like, Uh, it's gonna it's gonna be a very big challenge. And that's one of the things I've been most concerned of because when you see these guys, these young players, they have the size, they look good like size wide do you have a lot of guys that looked the part, But now are they gonna be ready to take on that big challenge right off the bat?
Speaker 9: And and that's gonna be tough.
Speaker 8: And that's my biggest concern is the lack of experience and the mind of growth. You know, rookies do need some time to develop and kind of go in there. But like you said, how baptism by fire. I never heard that word before or that's saying, but it's definitely gonna be some type of baptism.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is a it's never easy. I mean, this whole schedule's full of guys for a rookie guy's you know, we will see how they adapt. Some of them adapt very well. Someone played a very high level. Uh. You know, early season games you're kind of, you know a little bit at the mercy of your conditioning, you know. And we've seen games where you feel like guys are going to get you know, especially pass rushers, they're going to get started, and you know that they got to get a little rhythm. And you know, a guy like you know, Miles Garrett, he ain't gonna play a lot of preseason games, you know, and what's his conditioning going to be like opening day? Uh? You know, what is the condition going to be like for a lot of these players. So when you absolutely if this was say a week six, week seven matchup, I would feel a little bit more worried. But early season, you don't know. I mean there's things about the Browns. There's things scheme wise they can do to work around Miles Garrett. There are things to do. They can chip, they can space him, they could put you know, they can make him have to play wider. Uh, you know with all that we were talking about, so to me, he he doesn't know a lot about Tyler Geyiton, you know, I mean how much does he know about his pass rush of blocking ability? You know, there are things that got you know, he might be surprised with Giton's length. You know, he might be surprised with Guidon's height, and you know, and his athletic ability that you know, if you're going to play against Males Garrett, you better be ready to be a really good foot athlete because he's going to carry you. Why he's going to carry you inside, He's going to carry you a lot of places his kids. Yeah, it will be it'll be an eye opener for him. But there's ways. This is what these coaching staffs do. They spend all off season now now that they know the Cleveland Browns are Week one. Now you figure out ways to just look at every single game and how people play it against Miles Garrett and figure out what's the best way to neutralize him. You're not going to stop him every single time, but his unknown about about Guiden and Guidan's unknown about him might play due an advantage for the Cowboys and then also the conditioning of week one. We've seen players deal with cramps, not they don't have their win, not ready in real good football shape at that point in time. This might be an advantage playing a guy in Week one. Y.
Speaker 9: So how would you guys handle pre season? I mean, do you have your play.
Speaker 8: But you have your your center and left and left tackle play with the backups at the other positions, you just play.
Speaker 6: They play a lot in I think in the preseason games when the other starters come out, they stay in it.
Speaker 8: But I'm talking about the other veterans, like the starters or Si Martin your purposes.
Speaker 9: Just getting a line. I'm just asking.
Speaker 8: I know we're against like having the starters out there during the preseason, but based on the you know, getting everybody on, you're.
Speaker 7: Right as far as because we talked about about it last year when the Cowboys had injuries, and we talked about how many games does offensive line need to play together to have that chemistry? And I think it comes up to round four in my head. But you have to also weigh it against who we're talking about. So for example, we're talking about Zach Martin. Zach Martin number one doesn't need the preseason reps, and it's risk versus reward in that the risk that you have with him being out there possible injury versus the chemistry. Zach can get the chemistry quickly from week one, two, three, as long as it's a cohesive unit to start the season. So I'm not worried about Zach Martin getting the cohesiveness or Terrence Steele for example. But with the rookies, I see what you're saying there, because it.
Speaker 9: Was a big talk class.
Speaker 6: But you know, I will say this, if it were me making the decision, I might consider putting four of those five guys out there and playing them a little bit more in the preseason.
Speaker 3: Zach.
Speaker 6: I don't need Zach to touch the field everyseason. The other four, though, give me Bass out there with him, and I'll put that five out there, and I'll let him run through the first quarter, maybe the first quarter and a half, just to give give me a little bit of time to see them together and let them work together. Because I do think, especially on the left side of the line, Tyler is important to that because he's got a guy on the right and a left on the left that are new and so them having some time together I think might be very important. So I might consider doing a little bit more with my younger guys like Tyler Smith, and maybe even with Steele.
Speaker 2: I just wouldn't do it with Zack.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and I'm fun doing with Tyler Smith because of the age factor.
Speaker 3: They need to play halves. I mean, the young guys need to think about playing a half of a game. Yeah, they definitely. Yeah, and especially if we're trying to get an evaluation of Trey Lance. How much is Dak gonna play in these games? You know? And we're trying to figure out running back by committee. Yeah, we know the number fifteen can run the ball. We've seen, you know, Rico Daudell run the ball. But you know who else? You know who else you know who is going to be? I think you're only gonna carry. You need to get duz Von going. You need to figure out what douce Vawn is or it's going to be we're gonna get down to the final cut and we're gonna like, we're gonna have Ducevawn on the bubble and we're all gonna look at each other and go, we really didn't know what Ducevon is, you know, they've got to figure out. There's a lot of things and by if you're playing these young linemen Bbe Smith, you know, Guidon. If you're playing these young guys, then you get an opportunity not only to evaluate them, but you're evaluating your quarterback. You're how about the receivers out there too, You're trying to find a third guy right now. So there's a lot of things going.
Speaker 7: And kind of dove tailing off of that looking at the Browns matchup, Excited to see what Guyton does in this baptism by fire against Miles Garrett. But we talk about how the Cowboys offensive line needs to improve run blocking. Well, now we're going to look at Tyler Smith, Cooper BB, and of course Zach Martin going up against Dalvin Tomlinson for example, right going up against Shelby Harris. So they're going to have their hands full as well. You're talking about young guys trying to figure it out. Well, Cooper BB, he plays with this particular bullying demeanor. He wants to dirt guys. Well, you're going to get some veterans that don't often get dirty, right, So we want to see what the run game can be. But half of that equation is going to be how this front three performs against their defensive tackles, and they have some good ones in Cleveland. The good news is for the Cowboys is that the defensive coordinator that's here now, Mike Zimber, he knows Tomlinson will and he knows Zadarius Thomas well, for example, so he has some inside information that will helped this offense.
Speaker 6: Well, don't lose sight of the fact that just like the offense is going to have a challenge, the defense will also have a challenge going up against the likes of Deshaun and Nick Chubbs and of.
Speaker 2: Course Mary Cooper.
Speaker 6: That's the other storyline is it gets really interesting is that you go there and you have to face Mary Cooper and I'm sure he's he's already.
Speaker 9: Something to playing at home.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sure. I'm sure that.
Speaker 7: Will be a game that, all things considered, if it continues as it is or it's gave us a great update on trevon dig yesterday said he's on schedule. He didn't want to put timeline on it because that's for Britt Brown and his staff, but it sounds as if Trayvon is on track to be on the field week one. But which version of Trayvon are we going to see week one going against a guy like a Mary Cooper or will they put bland on Cooper and let Trayvon have a little bit of grace because he's coming back from town ac.
Speaker 3: I hate to say, history is not shown that these guys are coming back from injuries immediately jump in. Yeah, you know, we've seen all of a sudden Week six, Week seven, they start to look a little bit more like the player before they got hurt. Those are the things you always got to keep in mind.
Speaker 10: I've been landed on Cooper and give Trayvon some grace there. Yeah.
Speaker 6: To be honest with you, my guess is that they're going to move Cooper around a little bit so you may get him. Yeah, And I don't know that I'd start moving guys just to stay with Cooper. I think you kind of match up and you see where you go.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: The good thing.
Speaker 6: About it for for some of those guys, at least they've practiced against Mary Cooper, right, they kind of they have some experience with him, so they kind of know what he likes to do. They have some tail signs on him, and by the way it goes both ways, he probably has some tail signs on them as well. But it'll be interesting matchups. And I think this matchup is a very interesting for the one for the Cowboys against an AFC team to begin the season for all of the reasons we just mentioned. It will be a fun, fun matchup.
Speaker 10: All right, We're gonna go ahead, and the quarterback mobile quarterback too.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And honestly, Deshaun Watson is probably one of the biggest He's probably one of the biggest question marks in the entire NFL from the standpoint of will he or when he when will he resume his career in the way that it was before he was out of football. If Yeah, we don't know if, but if and when, like if he gets back to that and then you're combining with the running game with Chubb and with the Marii Cooper and with Miles Garrett on the defense side of the ball, they got some pieces, like, they got some pieces to be a very very dangerous team.
Speaker 3: So it'll be interesting.
Speaker 7: This linebackers is going to get tested too, So thank goodness, Eric Kendricks is in the building and we'll see overshown he might need some grace. We talked about Trayvon Diggs might need some grace. But you're going to get some mobile quarterback. He's going to try to, you know, burn those edges. Your linebacker is going to have to be disciplined and have the ability to know when to go chase and know when to drop back and no when to change gears.
Speaker 10: So linebacker is going to get tested on.
Speaker 3: I forgot they traded for Jerry Judy too from Denver.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, yeah, the oh wow, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I forgot all about that. Yeah, well, David and Joku, the tight ends a really athletic guys, Jerry Judy and and then you know with Cooper, I mean they've got they've got capable guys on that.
Speaker 2: That's a good roster.
Speaker 6: So that's gonna be a very very big test for the Cowboys on the road to start Week one.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 8: But like Mike McCarthy likes to say that, he likes to find out early on what we got, you know, So that's gonna be well, here we.
Speaker 3: Go there early on.
Speaker 6: But by the way, that's the NFL, Like there are as you're kind of mentioned there, Brian, there are probably ten games on the schedule this year where you're like, oh, that's going to be a very, very tough matchup. Like, there are a lot of good teams in the NFL, especially right now. When you're looking at the rosters, you're like, man, they got a lot of weapons. We'll see how it all plays out once you get there.
Speaker 3: I know, I was terrified of a Week two game against the Jets until I saw what happened to Week one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, rights, it could change everything, Yeah, absolutely, But it's also different going against because even last year, Yeah, the Giants saw your a divisional rival for Week one, and there's familiarity there, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 7: But it's suffices to say, even if we were having this conversation before Week one last year and then comparing it against what we're saying with the Browns, this Browns matchup is a light years more difficulty. So the Giants, I mean, nobody expected to forty the old blowout at MetLife, But it's those are two different teams.
Speaker 2: Those are not the same team.
Speaker 10: Those are not the same team.
Speaker 7: So that that could be respectfully viewed as kind of a ramp up getting into the season.
Speaker 10: This is not that this is let's go.
Speaker 6: All right, let's take our first break, let's come back, Let's get some observations from the rookie mini camp.
Speaker 2: We'll be back, Dallas, Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 11: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 12: Five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com Slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 13: Cowboys fans, After that move, we've just coined the term rowdy replay.
Speaker 3: Let's roll back the tape.
Speaker 7: Okay, there's our mascot Rowdy cheering on the boys. And now he's on his phone on his Bank of America mobile banking app.
Speaker 13: Staying on top of his finances with his virtual Financial assist in Erica.
Speaker 7: Bank of America's digital tools are so impressive Cowboys fans just can't stop banking.
Speaker 10: Learn more at Bank of America dot Com.
Speaker 3: Slash Can't Stop Banking Erika is only available in the English language.
Speaker 13: Must download the latest version of the Mobile Banking app, only available on select mobile devices.
Speaker 3: Messaging Data atesy apply a number FDIC.
Speaker 4: Welcome back into Dear, the show where I answer life's questions with an ice cold can of Doctor Pepper. Sheila, let's hear from my next caller.
Speaker 3: Would you, dear doctor?
Speaker 11: My friend supported me during a tough time. But what's the right gift that says thanks for.
Speaker 4: Being a soldier to cry on? Okay, this one's easy, I say, give her a delicious Doctor Pepper. Nothing says thanks good better than one of a kind soda. Yes, any Doctor Pepper flavor will do.
Speaker 10: Now.
Speaker 4: Just a reminder that I don't need to be a real doctor to know that Doctor Pepper is the one you deserve.
Speaker 14: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and.
Speaker 10: Off the field.
Speaker 14: Legendary John Deere Tractors, combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf, the official Agon turf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Agonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 3: Back to the Break. Register now for the twenty twenty four Dallas Cowboys Youth football and dance Camps, presented by a Visital Ligne. Athletes of all skill levels six to sixteen are invited to learn from the best this summer at the Ford Center at the Star in Frisco. Register for two or three day camps before May seventeenth to save twenty five dollars. Visit Dallascowboys dot com slash camps.
Speaker 6: Welcome back to second segment of The Break Live from the SWBC Mortgage Studios at the Star, presenter by LG and this segment is brought to you by blockchain dot Com. Let's talk about the Rookie Mini Caamprookies showed up last week for the first time here at the Star. I want to go around the table each of you guys, give me one observation. It can be from when you first met guys to what you saw on the field, to any locker room interviews. One observation that really stood out to you about any player that is a rookie that showed up last weekend.
Speaker 2: Let's start with you, Brian.
Speaker 3: You know, Mike Zimber told us that he was working with Mozzie Smith on his stance, and I'm thinking, like stance. You know, football players know about stances. They're honestly working with guys on their stance. I was I was looking down at the other end of the field and when you when you look at the defensive tackles down there with Justin Rodgers and Denzel Dason and Marshawn Neelan and those guys, it's so funny how you draft somebody and when you bring them in you have to completely turn them around, you turn them into something. So it really was the the observations for me, I'm like ohing, gosh, they're they're they're working on steps, They're literally working on stance, and so to me, it's the basics of just trying to get these kids acclimated to what they're uh to what they're gonna do. You're gonna get a lot more of an evaluation when we get the veterans and they can work together. We'll see some team periods and things like that, which will give you a better idea. But it is really about the basics when you bring these guys in, and so you know the size physically, how these guys look. I was really super impressive. I could just real quick these safeties that they had Themanny Johnson and Julius Wood. Those are two really good looking safeties that they brought in, big guys, and so you know, it's good to see some size. It's good to see the idea of what they were having at some certain positions. But it all boils down to can you even line up and get in a stance? That might be the most important thing I learned from that camp that there's going to be some work of having to maybe convert some guys and take them into Okay, you might have done it this way in college, but we need you to do it this way for what we're doing.
Speaker 7: A couple of things, first and foremost more, Shawn Niland is physically impressive. You know that by looking at the film. But it's not until you are standing right in front of him, until you realize at that moment that this guy's a specimen. He has the size of the mask and he is absolutely chiseled. And I love his demeanor as well as kind of like this soft smile that you know it's that fafo and if you know the Academy, you know what I'm going for there.
Speaker 10: He wants to get on the field and really do some damage.
Speaker 7: And I think there's a reason why the Cowboys saw so much in him to use a second round pick on that guy. So that's one as Marshaw Kneeland is much more physically impressive in real life than film would indicate. Second for me is the battle at center, and Bar touched on this earlier because it's something that Mike Celari said yesterday in the Q and A.
Speaker 10: TJ.
Speaker 7: Bass is going to be competing at center alongside brock Hoffman, alongside Cooper BB. I had my eyes glued to Cooper BB seeing how comfortable he was in the context of granted, the veterans were not there. It's not a full offensive line in rookie Minnie camp that's down until effective yesterday, but he did look for what he was doing. He looked comfortable. He looked comfortable pointing out the pre snap identifiers and things like that. And that also goes to the fact that in speaking with BB, he said that he's been putting a lot of work into his transition to center off of the field, so to the point where he said he'll be at home, and we asked, well, you know who's catching your snap and he said, anyone who's willing, Like he's throwing snaps to his dad, to his mom, to his brother, like whoever is willing to get out there in the yard and catch his snaps. And it's starting to kind of show in how quickly he's being able to transition. So for me, it's Cooper Bebe's transition at center. But also the light bulb coming on saying, hey, this isn't simply Cooper BB versus brock Hoffman.
Speaker 10: They're throwing TJ.
Speaker 7: Bass in there as well, because Mike Slari said perfectly, they'd like to have maybe three available centers when they go into any given game.
Speaker 3: Mike Solari keeps reminding us about Hoffman. He is not gonna let us Steven Jones. He is not going to let us forget about Hoffman.
Speaker 10: Yah.
Speaker 2: It seems like they really like a lot of people in the front office like him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, and that's you know, you draft BB and we've all got plug and Play in mind, and we've got BB as that guy. And you're right, he's going to have to work on snap step. You know, those are things that his life has always been. Hand on the ground, step go kind of thing. Now you have to snap make sure it's there and then you get to go. But yeah, everybody's got him just plug and play, and everybody in the organization is kind of like, I just give a chance. I think they keep reminding you.
Speaker 6: About Hoffing some of the conversations I've had from with people around here. I think the reason why there's that level of respect for him is because.
Speaker 2: The work is a worker man.
Speaker 6: He is where, he's always here, He's always it's still like yeah, and I think there's something that that's respected in this business when you find somebody that's just willing to put in the work.
Speaker 3: We remember Joe Philbin, you know, Joe Philben fell in love with Terrence still when I was throwing dirt all over him, you know, I was not giving Terrence still the opportunity, even the light of day, to be a starting right tackle in the National Football League. And you know, Joe Philbin kept her mind us first in last out weight room. Guy likes to likes to study film, asks a bunch of questions, very intensive. Coaches love those guys. They love those guys. They don't I mean, yeah, they have to coach them, but they love the self motivated guy. And I think that this is I think this is the if you talk about pet Cat for an offensive line coach with Mike Clari, I think that Hoffin's guy. And he is going to always remind you, you know, every time, well you know, you talk about Bibe, talked about Bibe to well, you know what, this Hoffman kid, we got a he's a tough kid, you know. He he he would go out of his way to mention Hoffman. We interviewed him on day three of the draft talking about Hoffman, What did you do out there in front of the media day he thought he brought up Hoffmin again, really didn't even talk about really a lot of other guys, Howfmin was a guy that he wanted to point out. So, yeah, that similar there's gonna be a battle there, there's going to be a battle.
Speaker 9: About a year ago.
Speaker 8: I mean it was kind of similar to TJ Bass. TJ Bass was the guy that everyone kept bringing up, even when you weren't talking about him necessarily, people teammates would bring him up and talk about how like impressive he's been and all of that and what he's shown. But another thing that was brought up that I think it's important was he reminded us of you can only dress x amount of play on game dates, So it is very important. Something that they're keeping in mind is just making sure they're kind of dividing repetitions at different spots to where they do have that versatility to where if anything was to happen, you do have guys that already have been practicing getting some reps there. So I think that's very very valuable too, not only see but also here that they're focusing on that. But something that was impressive to me and I always talk about wanting to talk to the players, getting a vibe and all of that, and something that stood out for me is like this time around and it always has been this way, except this year, it wasn't like.
Speaker 9: Oh look at that baby, Oh a little baby, and then I'm like, damn, I'm old.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 8: I started just like you when I got here, But I got in front of men that look like mature, grown men, not only in the way they looked physically as far as like height and shape and form and all of that, but also the way they presented themselves to work, and they looked very comfortable.
Speaker 2: Has changed the game.
Speaker 6: College kids come in that way savvy when it comes to the media than they did before.
Speaker 10: Is a perfect example Hit the how he addresses the media.
Speaker 9: So that was impressive to me.
Speaker 8: Just the confidence, the way they spoke, the confidence and and the maturity maturity that they seem to have right off the bat, that they look like once we see them with the veterans, that they'll fit in very well.
Speaker 3: The pandemic also gave everybody an extra year. You have some six year guys now college football.
Speaker 10: Shouts out to COVID.
Speaker 6: All right, here's another question I have for you guys about the weekend, and really this is about the draft class and undrafted free agents who the Cowboys have signed.
Speaker 2: Who do you think is more of a lock to be a starter in Week one?
Speaker 3: A lock? A lock? If you had to okay, depending on what happens at right defensive end. Does Marshawn Neelan do more than Sam Williams. That's the question you have to ask yourself right there?
Speaker 6: Are you assuming Micah would be pencil down as I'll start at linebacker?
Speaker 14: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think so. I mean maybe this offensive line group, maybe the left tackle probably would be a guy that you would say is a lock. But I was trying to go differently because I kind of feel like that those line positions that might be a lock. But if you're going I wouldn't be surprised. I'm gonna put a lot of pressure on this kid. This Kayln Carson's a hell of a football player, right of way. First, if he plays well enough outside during training camp, could that mean you kick Bland inside and Jordan Lewis is now odd man out? So I'm keeping a close close eye on Kaylen Carson because if he he had that kind of ability, He's got that kind of ability. I think there were so many corners in this draft and he got lost in a pretty deep group and he's just what like, his traits are just what Mike Zimber likes, and they had him playing the right corner in Uh, this just kind of starting out. We'll see where they if they move him around. But if he's good enough on the outside and he played as what we known as a field corner, which covers you know, the field corner takes a lot of a lot of space. So I just wonder, if he's good enough, does it make them feel like he could start in the nickel on the outside and then they move land. That's that's what I'm gonna. I'm gonna I'm gonna kind of monitor that as we go along.
Speaker 7: I think my closest luck and it's it's difficult to say because each of these rookies are up against competitions like Kayln Carter, Kayln Carson, he's up against Jordan Lewis in and the Deron Blands of the world. But in Cooper Beebe, he's up against brock Hoffman and t J. Basz and Tyler Geydon. When you look at who he's up against, he has the best opportunity to be the most likely starter for Week one of this entire rookie class. It's his athleticism, it's his physical stature and build, and it's also the fact that he's your first round pick, and then who is he challenging because now with him and the building, presumably Tyler Smith is going to stay at leftguard, So that means he's going up against Chumaydoga. I think he can beat out to Manydoga. This summer, He's going against Matt Well let's go. Well, let's go. Has to prove he can remain healthy. They're moving Josh Bauld inside. So when you look at the competition versus Guyton, and you look at Guidon's ceiling, even going into week one, year one, I think Guian is the most likely to be a lock. Not to say that he definitely is, but he has the best shot.
Speaker 3: You want to you want a dark horse, you want a real I know you're saying locks, you want a dark horse on this one. Justin Rogers starting over, Mazzie Smith one technique, I'd be a story in a lot of different ways. Yeah, you know, And talking to people about Mazzi, They're going to do the best he can to get him ready. They want him to be in the weight room, they want him to put on as much good weight as he can. They want to get his strength back. You know, right now, I believe is at three zero five, you know they're they're gonna they're rehabbing the hell out of him, trying to get him ready. But if you wanted a dark horse, maybe and it's I know you asked the question for a.
Speaker 2: While, that's fine, that's good.
Speaker 3: But somebody that, like Justin Rogers, shows enough that he's the starting one technique against the Cleveland Browns an opening day, ye, that would be something I would keep an eye on.
Speaker 9: That's exactly the guy that I was gonna mention.
Speaker 8: And it's odd because obviously being picked in the seventh round, typically you're not gonna pick that over who was your first round pick last year.
Speaker 9: So it's difficult. But at the same time, this guy does have the size. He has the size, he has.
Speaker 8: The weight, and he can be a guy that you plug in there and just settles that like move me, try to move me. And not only that, but he's also he's shown to be really good at helping blocking the run game run defense, and that's something that obviously the Cowboys have struggled with. So he's not necessarily someone that I feel confident, you know, with confidence to say, oh, he'll be a starter over Mossie. But definitely someone to keep an eye on.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I keep thinking back to another Auburn defensive tackle that they brought at late round turned into a player and Jay Ratt left, and I'm like, if.
Speaker 2: Only they can, if only they can get another that was?
Speaker 3: That was that your draft two thousand and five, It was the last one. That was that draft with with with where.
Speaker 2: And in my opinion of the best drafting Cowboys history.
Speaker 10: That's it was.
Speaker 3: It was a good one. That was a good draft. And then you look at Chris Canty in that draft as well, So there was quite a few.
Speaker 2: Kevin Burnett in that draft. Second round.
Speaker 6: That it was, it was where it was spears it was. I think I think Kevin Burnett was the second round kick. I don't remember whose third round Canty was fourth, right and he.
Speaker 3: Was fourth, Yeah, but they had it was it was. It was a good Aran Barber was in that draft.
Speaker 2: He was the fifth pick in that draft, right, fifth round pick.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was a test to me, but I remember, that's a good draft. The thing about the thing, I think why Justin Rodgers has the chances because right now there's so much unknown about Mozzie Smith. Yeah, I think that's that to me, is you know if you said, well you know what's what's what's the thing, you probably know the least is gonna I don't know what's gonna happen with Mozzie Smith. I don't. And I'm saying that in I'm not saying in a negative way. I'm just don't know right now.
Speaker 6: With that, all right, we're gonna take our final break, we'll come back. We'll start our position series. Don't think we'll get to the tight end position day, but we'll do the quarterback position.
Speaker 2: We'll see how far we get with that. We'll be back Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 11: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has a T and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and T five G fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 12: Five G requires compatable plan and device. Five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 15: Don't put off getting your oil change, Dallas. Take five Oil Change, a proud partner of the Cowboys, is faster than you think. There's no appointment needed and no waiting room. Yep, you hurt that correctly. Take five is so fast you don't even have to get out of your car. You can take advantage of Take five's fast, friendly and simple service at any of their locations across the Dallas area. And remember, at Take five you stay in your car because they're faster than you think. Take five the official oil change of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 13: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now, Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorite and a full sized intense therapy wipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash.
Speaker 3: Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 2: That's get Jack Black dot com slash.
Speaker 3: Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 14: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United agonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 3: Back to the break, Hey, the twenty twenty four PBR World Finals are taking over at and T Stadium. It all starts May seventeenth with Kid Rocks Rock and Room Radio. Then on May eighteenth and nineteenth, the finalists compete in the twenty twenty four PBR Championship. Let's Rock and Ride. Three day tickets are on sale now at sea geek dot com, the official tikening partner of at and T Stadium. Yeah real quick, you know you talked about you do your deep blues and stuff like that the PBRD stuff does deep blues on bulls like the famous the actual bulls, the actual bulls like Bodacious and these these bulls, these bulls have personalities and they tell the stories of these bulls and the bulls can't talk, but they show like them like in the pins and you know, and then they show them like the cowboys from their mind. They show the cowboys getting flung into next week and they're interviewing them, you know, and the cowboys like, oh, there's no way you're going to ride that guy. But they do some really good deep blues on the bulls and the bulls can't even talk, but the guys that have ridden them are all like, oh man, you don't want to get on that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, where's the final segment?
Speaker 3: Rabbit hole? Sometimes watching Bold documentaries, We.
Speaker 6: Are Alive from the WBC Borgas Studios at the Start, presented by LG Okay.
Speaker 2: I'm about to take you guys to business school.
Speaker 10: All right.
Speaker 3: There was this thing that we would do, were your jacket?
Speaker 6: No, I want my jacket because it's the super Bowl of Media coming up today.
Speaker 3: I saw you on TV yesterday. Did they did a thing that was that was an ESPN thing about scheduled releases. Really it looked like, Okay, who did the did the Chargers do when they was animated? Yeah?
Speaker 2: They always they've done that for the last is.
Speaker 3: It is it studio influence?
Speaker 2: I don't think so.
Speaker 6: I think they but they've done it for a few years. They've done the little animated you know anime.
Speaker 3: They interviewed all your department.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was me and Drew and Drew heads our creative video team, Brittany Johnson who had our social media team.
Speaker 2: The three of us did the interview with Yeah.
Speaker 3: So yeah, that was a piece they did.
Speaker 6: Last year and they've kind of redone it a little bit with you some of the old footage this year.
Speaker 3: It looked like to me that the Chargers did have an interesting one when it was cartoon.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, it's anime they do.
Speaker 6: They do anime, and they've done it for a couple like at least two years, maybe three, but at least so.
Speaker 3: They need to change their bit, that's what you're saying.
Speaker 6: No, I'm saying they did a good by the way, it's really good. It's actually really good.
Speaker 10: So I don't know.
Speaker 6: Sometimes you find something and it works and you just kind of stick with it because it works, right, So I wouldn't be surprised if they did that again.
Speaker 2: I mean, people love anime.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 2: I'm not an anime person. My daughter is huge and she loves Yeah.
Speaker 9: Them, was it them? Who was the team that attacked to everybody?
Speaker 2: They tell me that every year at that Chargers attaching.
Speaker 10: You know, I'm saying anime. I'm saying you can't go wrong with anime. Give pre anime.
Speaker 3: We could like pre clear pre Paul uh Tyson, we could have you versit. The guy at the Chargers.
Speaker 6: Boxing, Well, whenever we play the Chargers again, we may have something fun for them.
Speaker 2: We'll see how it goes.
Speaker 3: You've had enough of the Chargers, is that what you're saying?
Speaker 12: Now?
Speaker 3: I respect what they do, I really with respect. The guy was here, you'd fist fight with him, right, I.
Speaker 2: Don't fight anymore. That's my younger days. I've leave I've left that behind.
Speaker 10: Last year anyway.
Speaker 6: So yeah, yeah, you don't have to say anything you said, right, right, All right, let's go. So let's talk about the position. Noalysis is where we do We're gonna do something. We're gonna do something called the swat analysis, strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, threats.
Speaker 2: I'll explain.
Speaker 6: I'll explain each one as we go through. Let's start though, with strenks. We're gonna start at the quarterback position. Tell me, I want each of you to tell me what you think the biggest strength of this quarterback group is.
Speaker 2: Let's start with you, Patrick.
Speaker 15: I Q.
Speaker 10: And ability to put up points.
Speaker 7: If we're talking about Dak Prescott, yes, he has his faults and we but we're talking about strengths right now. So he has full command of his NFL offense. Full command of the Cowboys offense. Didn't take him long and crazy when you think about it, because how many coordinators is this for him now as far as play callers goes right, So, yeah, and he just continues mostly to perform at a high level in the regular season at least still got to get over that postseason Hume. So for me, yeah, and then when you look at Cooper Rush, Cooper Rush is who I call you, cool hand Luke.
Speaker 10: He can come in.
Speaker 7: He's not going to win you the game, but he's not going to lose you the game either, right, question Mark, Still on tree Lance, the potential is certainly there as a former third overall pick. Strength being that he has the ability to move the ball, he can move his legs challenge opposing defenses in that way. But still a lot to be determined on trade lance. So I can't really put a lot on Tree Lance in the strength category, but I can on Cooper.
Speaker 3: In deck depth. That would be what I would say, Ye spirits and depth.
Speaker 9: I would say.
Speaker 8: I mean, as far as Dyke, I think he is at his prime. He's not too young where he's still having to learn a whole lot, but he's not old enough where he has a bunch of like little things are nagging his body health wise, knock on everything. Yes, but yes he's healthy and I think he is right at the prime of his career. He had his best year last year, and I think this is I'm not gonna say this is nothing, this.
Speaker 10: Is it is what.
Speaker 8: Yeah, he's where he is at. I'm gonna shut my mouth with some of the things. But as far as Trey Lions, he the youth, I mean, he's a young guy that there's still a lot of unknowns because we just haven't seen it use yet, but it does give you hope. As far as the development of what you can possibly do with him as well.
Speaker 2: Biggest weakness of this group.
Speaker 3: Lack of playoff success.
Speaker 10: I was going to say winning the playoffs.
Speaker 3: Can't say you can't say big game success because they've won some big games, but they I think lack of playoffs success is what hangs over the scroup's head.
Speaker 7: Yeah, same winning the playoffs. And we talked about this, We said this before they lost to the Green Bay Packers. We say, lose this game, then all of next season is going to have this huge asterisk as we're enjoying the wins that they have. Let's say they win against the Cleveland Browns. We'll sit here and we'll enjoy that, and we'll talk about that playfully with a bunch of optimism, and then we'll have to close out that show by saying not do it in January. So, now, Dak Prescott didn't necessarily lose you the game against the Packers. I think the defense mostly lost you the game against the Packers, to be fair, But Dak was slow getting going and he would have had to save his defense sooner than he was able to try to do so.
Speaker 10: So win in the playoffs. That's what everybody wants. It's got to happen.
Speaker 9: Yeah, there's no other answer than that.
Speaker 8: I mean, we've seen a lot of the things that we've asked of Dak throughout his career, whether that was throwing more downfield, those long passes, those long shots he's done in red zone, done it. He's being a mobile quarterback. He's shown to do that before. So he's improved a lot of different areas, reducing the turnover, turnovers and throwing those interceptions. But the main thing, yeah, playoffs game, all right.
Speaker 6: So the next one is opportunity, And I'll explain what I mean by that. What I want to know is what is an unknown right now, a question mark right now that could become a big asset for this this group.
Speaker 3: Getting him signed. If you just want to talk about the quarterback, Yeah, I mean getting him signed, that's your asset right there. If they find a way to get it done, then you know that that buys you a couple more years hopefully you know, hopefully of MVP type level quarterbacking. But that's an unknown right now. Are you're gonna be able to get that done? The asset could be getting it done. The unknown is we don't know if it's gonna get done.
Speaker 10: I say, and I agree with Brian.
Speaker 7: The asset is getting it done because if you don't get it done, guess what, you also don't have Trey Lance under contract for a long period of time either. And you want Trey Lance to compete directly with Cooper Rush for QB too. He got all these question marks, but all of this is predicated upon Dak Prescott being here for the future. And if you don't get Dak Prescott signed and for whatever reason things they part ways next year, is Trey Lance ready because you're only going to be basing that that assessment next year off of this coming preseason and probably nothing more. That's that's that's a lot soet QB one signed.
Speaker 8: Yeah, And and I mean, there's that's gonna affect so many other things because what does that contract look like, what does the money look like? Is that going to hold you hostage and having the ability or capability of signing other players that can be weapons and actually help you know, it's it's a lot of unknown and even if let's say you don't get him signed and now you're going through a whole restructure type of white bout like a quarterback.
Speaker 3: Home it could affect you. It could affect you anyway, if in the way you're because he's gonna cost forty eight million dollars if you don't sign him on the on the on the dead side.
Speaker 7: For those the younger Cowboys fans who have not experienced QB purgatory with this team, trust me when I tell you you don't want any parts of that.
Speaker 10: You just don't want to be in there.
Speaker 2: Done that ain't fun.
Speaker 3: Looking at me, I don't blame you. You were with me, you remember it.
Speaker 2: It's not fun, man, it is it is.
Speaker 3: There's nothing there fun. If I would give anything to have the way that teams get rid of their quarterbacks today, twenty five years ago, if you would have let me have opportunities to have Aaron Rodgers and get people like that, or trade for or sign Kirk Cousins or something like that, I might be still working in scouting. You know, that's how hard it was twenty five years ago to find it, because if you had one, you weren't letting them go. That's exactly right, That's exactly right. A franchise got changed in nineteen ninety nine, and the sixth round drafting a quarterback New England Patriots. That's how lucky you have to be sometimes, Yeah, and you might do that way here with it. It might be that lucky with the guy you drafted here several years ago.
Speaker 6: Let's talk about threats. What is the biggest obstacle to the success of this group.
Speaker 3: Health. I'm gonna say health with the starting quarterback, that's the thing. You just you know, he's been he made it through last year. Fine, but we've dealt with some times. Had on training camp we were all dealing with the what's the shoulder thing he's dealing with. Let's you know, there's the calf that you know, remember when his calf got hurt. He was on such a run in the New England game. You win that game in ot and then after that it wasn't the same quarterback. I think the only thing that slows this group down is health if if in fact, that's that's if you want to call it that.
Speaker 10: The calendar.
Speaker 7: I think the calendar is the biggest opposition for the Cowboys quarterback and Dak Prescott obviously he's the lead horse, so that's what we're talking about. But signing him, no, not necessarily just that that also as well, but his play during the regular season, more often than not, is phenomenal. Over the course of his career, He's had his down moments, obviously, but for the most part, he's He's elite. In the regular season calendar flips to January. Yeah, what happens, So for me, it's it. I don't know what that intangible is. And again he Dak Prescott did not lose the game for the Cowboys against the Packers. The defense did. You just need Dak Prescott to save the day, and he was unable to do that. But I think that this quarterback group needs to figure out how to hit that switch in January, or to at least keep that momentum going from an excellent regular season and stop running into that wall in January. There's like this wall waiting for them in January, and until they break through, we're going to keep having these these conversations.
Speaker 8: I would say the word comedee, that word when I hear when I hear it, it gives me bad flashbacks.
Speaker 3: And this is not you saying the personnel around him and this is.
Speaker 8: Not specifical good to quarterback, but talking about the running game, the running back. When I heard that word committee and we know how important. Again we get focused on quarterback, but it does affect you have to be able to establish the run.
Speaker 9: How are you going to do that?
Speaker 8: You have to help your quarterback establishing the running not just relighting the passing game. So as soon as I heard the word committee, I'm like, will say what say what.
Speaker 3: Committee? Mari Coop at first pick ome.
Speaker 10: Yep, yep.
Speaker 9: So something to keep an eye on.
Speaker 6: I don't like here, you know, And I'll take that even one step further. It's not just the running back to me, ste inexperience on the offensive line combined with this running back by committee not having a really established, top notch, every down type running back. You combine those two things, it's probably more on the shoulders of the quarterback than it's.
Speaker 2: Ever been in Dak Prescott's time here with the Cowboys.
Speaker 6: Like he's always he since the moment he's got here, he's always had a lead back that he could rely on. He's for the most part, had a really good offensive line. This is going to be the first year where he could have a good offensive line. Maybe he couldn't, Like, we don't know, because there's some new parts to that. The running back back committee could work. Maybe it doesn't. I think there are more question marks right now with the surrounding cast of Dak Prescott Prescott than ever before in his career, and that's why it's gonna be more on his shoulders to see how much success this team get.
Speaker 3: I don't think they'll get out of training camp without an answer at running back. You mean another somebody that's not on the rock. No, No, they're going to know. They're not gonna let Committee go into week full gotcha. They're going to say, you know what, we our offensive lines approved, we're not getting to and through the line. We don't have the explosive players we need to do better. We're gonna have to ship a fifth round pick somewhere to get a guy. Yeah, you know, whether it's surplus at one of the other teams. I don't see them going into week one being Committee running back. I think they're going to find a way to establish either they're gonna either it's gonna work, they're gonna find their guys here, or they're gonna go get somebody. But I don't think it's gonna get the Week four, week five like we saw for a Marii Cooper. All Right, That is a wrap.
Speaker 6: We'll be back next week and we'll go through our position series again. We'll move on to the tight ends, maybe get to running backs. We might even get the receivers. We'll see until then for her, Patrick Walker, Brian Brodis, Ambergras SI. I'm Derek Eiltz and this has been the Break Alive on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 5: No. M.