Speaker 1: Welcome in Tubble. Bears Weekly, a Chicago Bears Network production download the Chicago Bears Official act brought.
Speaker 2: To you by Verizon to follow the team on the go.
Speaker 1: Bears Weekly is brought to you by Advocate Healthcare, Athletico Physical Therapy, Beth Revers CD, telling Connie's Pizza by Gens Energy and Miller. Like Kira, your hosts Jeff Chioniac aka the Mayor of Bearsville and his sidekick Term the surf Maaster there well.
Speaker 2: One of the most interesting staggers we've seen in recent years for the Chicago Bears. Released this week for our peru. We'll break it down tonight and you're on Bears Weekly. Jeff Joniac with Super Bowl winning Bears guard top there and from Sirius XM moving the chains on NFL Radio, the former Bears quarterback Jim Miller thanks to Dan Barrilli and Jordan's tread Up. Our producers on the ESPN studios Sean Graeney. The executive producer of the Bears Radio Network is Eric Ostrotski. Good Evening one and all. Later on of the show, we'll have a conversation with Bears fifth round defensive end Austin Booker out of Kansas, Tom, Jim, how we feeling a happy schedule? Happy schedule?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I don't know where the Bears.
Speaker 4: Schedule ranks amongst the toughest wherever however they rank them. But you know, I know that you always have a little bit of anks talking about the schedule before the start of the season because you say, you never know what's going to be happen when you get to some of these teams. In the difference, last year we played Green Bay Week one and then week seventeen. This year again Green Bay Week seventeen, but we don't really get into the division until the second half of the season, which is really exciting for me. Yeah, because I like it coming down to the wire like that. I like the Bears to have some of these young guys get involved in this football team, whether it's anybody from Austin Booker to Caleb to Rome to Amagaji, whomever it could be to help this football team, and they're going to have a little bit of experience before they get into the division.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jim, the carrots are going to be hanging there. I keep saying season doesn't begin to week eleven, and in most cases the season really doesn't begin until around Thanksgiving anyway. It's about the after Thanksgiving football if you want to finish the job I just mentioned I Wada and Sylvie. Look what happened to the Eagles last year. Look what happened at Jacksonville last year. Look what to happened there the Chargers. Things just deteriorated in a hurry despite good starts, and you got to take care of businesses home and you know, win hopefully half your games down the road.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's you know, you're right, there's so many ebbs and flows to the season. I think even last year you saw that with the Bears, Right, they came out of the gate and Nate Davis and some guys on the offensive line were a little bit banged up, and then they started to run the football well once they settled that in and then played start playing really well towards the second half of the season. And hopefully that can be the build up for that momentum, because I don't think that's the worst thing in the world that the division, like you said, is going to get started in Week ten. Guys will be able to settle in with the new scheme offensively and Hopefully by that time of the season, you're starting to click offensively, and again, injuries are going to play a part of it, but that's no excuse.
Speaker 6: Guys.
Speaker 5: If one guy goes down, guy's got to step up and play. I think we play well. I think we know that's not always the case, but I do think overall, the Bears schedule reminds me a lot of the Steelers because they're the same way. Yeah, that's a tough division. You look at that AFC North, you know that that division will be a bloodbath and probably decided the last week. So I think this how the Bears the structure is going to benefit them for the schedule this year.
Speaker 4: You know, Jeff and Jim, if you look at the schedule and you break down those first seven weeks and you look at there's three experienced quarterbacks within that first seven weeks, there's a lot of inexperience at the quarterback position and the rest of those games they play. So I think that really gives Caleb an opportunity to go out there and really battle, to help the Bears battle in these games because you know ten see I think you know it's still uncertainty. Houston obviously CJ. Stroud, Anthony Richardson and Indy. Then you have experience with the Rams, Bryce Young with Carolina, you got the Jackson Jacksonville quarterback, and then Washington. So it's really gonna be interesting to watch the quarterback position specifically within those first seven eight weeks of this season.
Speaker 2: Jim ifi Math's right. I mentioned this to Tom earlier today. I think they're I think are eleven games or eleven teams now, I can't remember which one I said that have that Shanahan McVeigh offensive scheme systems, the branches, all these coaches, and it's in the entire division, including the Bears with their new offensive coordinator. How has it just play with me a little bit on this, Do you care about that? Does that help a team over the course of a season, because everybody has nuances to it and does it a little different, But the gist of it is something clearly the Bears defense is going to get to know very very well.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Yeah, it's a scheme that it's a hot scheme right now. Why because it's quarterback friendly and look at the teams that have had success with it. You know obviously you know Kyle Shanahan and Sean McVeigh were in Washington together, okay, and so then it branched off from there. He gets the head coaching job San Francisco, McVeigh gets the head coaching or McVeigh gets the head coaching job of the Rams, and that's how it goes. And then Shane Waldron was a part of those staffs with the Rams. So he then goes up to Seattle because it's a quarterback friendly system. They want to get the Russell Wilson back on par and of course the development of Geno Smith and so. And then Dave Knellis who was under Shane Waldron, he goes to Tampa. He wants in because they were going to have a competition Baker Mayfield and Kyle Trask and wanted to get Kyle Trask up and running. Baker won that competition, and so it's a very quarterback friendly. You can get it up and running. It's the inside outside zone concepts. You've got a lot of crossing routes. Look at all the over routes that Matthew Stafford throws with McVeigh, and it really just puts it puts the defense in a bind because a lot of the plays, especially when you look at the Rams, and I would say that about Kyle Shanahan too. For the forty nine ers. Cayl Purty another example, young up and coming quarterback. Simple system. It's easy for the quarterback, but it puts the defense in a bind. They always have the play action off of the run run game, and everything looks the same, and it looks like a fast break because they play at a very fast tempo.
Speaker 2: So Tom can a defense settle in and I they can they pick up the signals over the course of the season here and get into a rhythm with some of these offenses to stop them.
Speaker 4: You know when I was listening to Jim talk and you know the quarterback position and how it affects them, the different types of.
Speaker 3: Passes you called the influence of the head coach.
Speaker 4: I look at all these teams and I start thinking about their offensive lines, because there's something to the system you run. But do these teams have the offensive line to protect against what the Bears have been able to offer you in that second half of the season. And if they do, kind of find either a diamond in the rough with Austin Booker and it has some pass rushing potential to go with Montes sweat and does Javon Dexter Senior take that next step forward along with Zach Pickens and the rest of the guys. And the linebacker position came on so well, and the defensive backfield is super versatile. I think it's yeah, I think the defense can get connected to this, but it's really about can what type of protection to the offensive lines give these young, inexperienced quarterbacks that they're going to face in the early part of the season and.
Speaker 2: To finish the season strong of those funs, you gotta be healthy. Healthiest team in the division is going to survive and compete for a playoff spots. That's how I feel about it, and I'm sure that'll be the case because it always is in the national football You gotta take our first break with Tom Thayer and Jim Miller. I'm Jeff Jonihac. This is Bears Weekly on ESPN one thousand and the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Bears Weekly with a voice of the Bears for twenty three years, Jeff Jonia on the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 2: Leg The Bears Weekly is sponsored by IGS Energy, The Town Bear. Jeff Joniac, Jim Miller from Serious x MNFL Radio and the former Bears quarterback on the show. Coming up in a couple of segments, we'll be joined by rookie defensive end Austin Booker. Jim. I saw this, read this and heard some about the schedule preparation, and it is a literal quadrillion different possibilities every year, and I don't know how they pull it off, but they do. But you know, the primetime games is what everybody talks about, and you kind of gauged and rated based on how many of you getting The Jets of course with Aaron Rodgers healthy and are getting six and Houston's getting a lot, Bears with three. That could change with flex, but that three twenty five Central time spot is the most viewed game of the week. I didn't really look into that before, but that's the prime spot well.
Speaker 5: And plus it's it's going to be interesting because of all the streaming services too. How is that affecting how fans are viewing the game? I think it was Pat and I were talking about this today. It's something like if you were to sign up for all the streaming that it's going to be on, obviously Netflix this year, you got Amazon, just Apple, it's over like a thousand dollars, so you know, to me, it could affect a viewership. But you know, as for the primetime games, Dallas is always going to command it because they're a big, big market. Obviously, they're always minimum they get five primetime games every year. Jets. You know, according to the NFL, they just they feel that that team with Aaron Rodgers it command because they lost it out on it last year where they wanted to feature them. They're hoping that they're going to cash in on that this year. I think a lot of times they get it wrong because there's already some under the radar teams that I think are really gonna surprise, and one of those to me is Washington. I think Washington is a very strong team. I know it's a rookie quarterback, but you look what they've added here this offseason. Dan Quinn will get that team up and running very quickly. Tampa won the division last year and down on the NFC South, everybody thought that was a surprise. Well everybody's coming back and that is going to be a very good team that's underrated and kind of flying under the radar right now. That is going to be a good team move forward. I think the Rams everybody's got. San Francisco is the favorite every game out there in the West. I think the Rams are the team, believe it or not. And that's even with Aaron Donald retiring. Think about that. That offense is a fast break with Matthew Stafford and they're getting Cooper cutback on offense.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be interesting, Tom. I hope Jim thinks the Bears are also going to be one of those teams.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I do. I think the Bears are under the rate. Yeah, you know, you know, for the city of Chicago, they're as excited as all can be. You know, again, is this team ready to make a Super Bowl run? Well, I temper your enthusiasm a little bit. They've got a lot of work to do, but they'll be able to line up and compete. And they're a lot better than what people are talking about, that's for sure.
Speaker 4: Well, you think of some of the messages that have already started in this offseason, whether it's Jalen Johnson or Montes Wett talking about the importance of what they need to do within the division and who they need to beat with regularity. And I think that's important that that kind of spills in the into the entire locker room from the very beginning and pick up that intensity and training camp because I think you.
Speaker 3: Have realistic football at the practices in order to get Caleb ready as soon as possible.
Speaker 4: And then when you talk about all the other p is, you know still DJ and Keenan, Gerald Everett, with Cole Comet, DeAndre Swift and that whole group of guys, you have to formulate an offensive line that practices together during training camp be so they're ready for Week one of the regular season.
Speaker 3: And I think the Bears should.
Speaker 4: Have people want to call them unrealistic expectations, I think the Bears should have expectations that are as high as they've been in a long time. The question mark for me of any teams in the NFL is of Dallas Cowboys because the last time that they were on TV, they were getting beat pretty convincingly by one of the teams in our division. And they did nothing in the offseason, and they have a quarterback that is accounting for so much of their salary cap. It's going to be interesting to see how things unfold for them.
Speaker 3: But it's about the.
Speaker 4: Bears in that Tennessee, Houston, Indianapolis start.
Speaker 3: They got to have that conversation.
Speaker 4: As much as they wanted to talk about Green Bay, that they have the ability to win those three games. I'm not saying it's it's a four gone conclusion they will, but they have to have a lot of positive chatter amongst the veterans and the rookies.
Speaker 2: But again, at the same time, I know, you know, Week one is always that it's the thumb right if with a hammer, it's gonna every you know, but it's it is. We talk about it all the time. It is the great unknown. If you lose Week one, your season's not over. People talk about must wins in week one, but it would it would put it this way, it'd be a nice starting point to get some breathing room and confidence brewing in that locker room.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: Not that they didn't pick it up at the end of last year, but this is a different team. There's different players, and every year it's a frankly, it's a different team every week in the NFL.
Speaker 4: Because let me let me would you agree with that, though, let me interrupt you with one quick question. So Tennessee Jeff opening week of the season, who do you introduce the offense?
Speaker 3: Are the defense?
Speaker 2: You come out as a team.
Speaker 3: No, you don't do that.
Speaker 4: You get you're gonna introduce one side of the ball. Jeff, Please don't answer like that.
Speaker 2: A lot of teams come out as a team.
Speaker 4: No, you're you know, you're just you're a Debbie downer. I you know, because I think you.
Speaker 7: Want me to play with you here, I'll say no, no, I'll say I'll say defense. Okay, save the big because when when Caleb comes out, the place is gonnat you roup.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I agree with Jeff. I don't think like last year. I just want to take you back to last year. Think of all the goodwill and hope that was built up to the season. There were some analysts out there predicting that Justin Fields was gonna be MVP of the league. And then you go out and you get spanked by Green Bay opening week and all that was lost. All that was lost, all that goodwill, all that hope of what was going into the season. And that's what this is. The offseason. It's all about hope. When you talk about the draft and all those things, that gets everybody's hopes up. At the end of the day, you got to go out and do it. You got to go out and do it, and they didn't do it, and they lost that and they were off the rails for about the first six weeks of the season till they started to turn it around. For all the reasons for exactly what you said, Jeff, the ebbs and flows of the season. The Bears weren't healthy all through training camp at their offensive line the whole time. We knew they needed another pass rusher. That didn't happen till they made that trade right for Monte Sweat. So so much could happen. But at the end of the day, when you have that hope and goodwill that's built up, you gotta go out and do it. And I think they'll be able to do it defensively and we'll see where it goes offensively, because they got to be ready to roll week one. You know, like Kevin Byron and Terry Stevenson, they give me a lot more hope at the beginning of the season rather than the question marks we had at the beginning of the season last year. Right because when you think about coming back from an injury at the safety position, you didn't know how and then you know Tyreek started to turn around on the second half of the season, and he's a he's a legitimate NFL cornerback. But I think the reason I was asking about the introduction is because I think that when when you're thrown out of Montes what you're thrown out A TJ ed Ords, Trumaine Edmunds, you know, just this whole group of characters, and you think about the Bears and the reputation of this team over the years, it's from great defensive play and week one it would be great recognition of that part of the team. Yeah, because I don't think their young quarterback Caleb Williams needs any more, right, you know, fanfear. Let's that that crowd would erupt if they were to say starting quarterback Caleb Williams and that opening series he throws a pick six. That's the last thing you want to happen, in my opinion, you know. So there's that kid doesn't need any more pressure than what's on him.
Speaker 2: All right, one last thing before we take a break to Charlotte Carey, the NFL director of Broadcasting, told k Adams on Up and Adams Today on the strategy of why the division games are pushed so far. It just happened that way. It falls that way. But her quote was Bears her exciting team. We're really counting on using them strategically across the different windows. It falls where it falls. The NFC North in general is really exciting and a super fun run down the stretch for the entire division. She could not be more right. That's Tom Thair, Jim Miller. I'm Jeff Joniyak. When we come back our visit with Austin Booker, the Bears fifth round pick Defensive End out of Kansas. This is Bears Weekly out of SPN one thousand of the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Bears Weekly with the voice of the Bears for twenty three years, Jeff Jonyak on the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 2: This segment of Bears Weekly is brought to you by Athletical Physical Therapy. Visit Athletical dot com to request it in clinic or virtual deployment and start feeling better tomorrow. Welcome back here on Bears Weekly on ESPN one thousand of the Bears Radio Network. Jeff Jonihak, Tom There and Jim Miller will be along after our interview with rookie Defensive End Austin Booker. It feels good, Austin. Thanks for taking the time to join us. I'm sure to hear your name announced now as an NFL player, rookie defensive end. This is just the beginning of what you hope is going to be a real long journey. Is it sunk in really that this is where you're act?
Speaker 8: It has the past couple of days, been around the vets a little bit, and it's just been a dream cone true. So I'm just gonna take full event of it and keep working, keep getting better.
Speaker 2: Kind of crazy stuff at the age of twenty one, isn't it.
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think about this, and there have been guys. I mean, there was a guy a Molby Ay. He was a defensive tackle. He was drafted high, I think by the Houston Texans. We had him here for a bit, but he entered the league in nineteen oh wow, and he was the youngest guy in the league. And I thought, oh my gosh, how I mean, I think of myself at that age and just think about just three years plus you were wrapping up a state championship in Indiana, right, I mean, did you envision that three plus years ago?
Speaker 8: I did this was a goal I told myself I was gonna be three and done, And I mean I didn't see it happening at first, not playing at all at Minnesota. Yeah, but I get to Kansas have a great season, and everything came together.
Speaker 6: So I'm just grateful.
Speaker 2: This is gonna sound maybe a weird question to an athlete who's got a lot of confidence. But given the fact you didn't get in many snaps in Minnesota, did it scare you a little bit? Like, oh my gosh, what am I gonna do?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 8: One hundred percent, But it just makes you better, Like you realize you have to get bigger, You have to realize you have to get stronger to get on that field, and once you do that, sometimes it's just not a good fit. Sometimes you still don't get on the field, so that's when you kind of have to look other places to uh to get on the field. But I feel like it just made me better.
Speaker 2: Did did did? Like your family were they encouraging and supportive of that, because, you know, having kids to go to college and I had some situations where they were considering moving on they didn't play sports, but like, ah, why don't you just give it a chance? I mean, did you get both sides of the conversations, and even with the coach up there at Minnesota, which we all know here in Chicago, PJ. Fleck.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, one hundred percent.
Speaker 8: I Mean at first, my parents were just saying, grind it out, you know, maybe you need to improve, maybe you need to do whatnot.
Speaker 6: So that's why I did at first.
Speaker 8: And then after I showed my talents and they still didn't want me on the field, that's when you kind to make those other other common.
Speaker 2: Screen light go. Yeah, yeah, was there a ton I mean, this transfer portal for a guy who's a traditionalist in football, I mean I went to Iowa State. You got it this year? Nice job, nice job. It was the big eighth. I mean I remember the old day. So the transfer porter and all that. It's great for you guys. For sure, coaches get to leave and do whatever you know, and then you're stuck with getting to know a new coach and new system and whatnot. But how beneficial is that for a player in your particular situation and others like that in college football?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean it's it's great because I mean there's probably some people in my situation years before they didn't get that second chance and didn't get to show off their talents. So in that situation, it's a great thing, but there's obviously other situations where it hurts teams and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Well, then you go to Kansas and Lance Lettepold is a heck of a coach. He was up at Wisconsin Whitewater, so we got real familiar with him. Bears used to practice up in Platteville, Wisconsin as you may or man, I know, and he just did a great job, won so many championships there and he's been producing edge rushers and so big twelve Newcomer of the Year. It's like you have a brand new light, like the magic wand just hit right. Tell me about that process when you knew it was clicking.
Speaker 8: Yeah, shoot, it was the second game against Illinois, had two sacks.
Speaker 6: I was just feeling it, man, I was.
Speaker 3: I wasn't.
Speaker 6: I didn't start.
Speaker 8: But once you get on the field and you're going in through those motions and you just either field or you don't. And I got that feeling where I was I was dominating, and once adent started reaching out to you, then you know that that's that second level is or the next level is is an option.
Speaker 2: For sure, and you could have stayed, could very easily could have stayed it. It might have meant a higher draft pick. But so why do it now?
Speaker 6: Just strike while you're hot?
Speaker 2: Okay, strike while I've heard you say that many times.
Speaker 8: So, yeah, because you never know what's gonna happen the next year. And I had the opportunity this year, and I feel like I was mentally physically ready, like I've been saying, and yeah, so I just took the opportunity now rather than waiting.
Speaker 2: It's funny, that's almost the mentality of an edge rusher, right, strike while it's hot, because you don't have time to think out there. You just got to make your move and have a counter and get to the quarterback.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: It's just kind of you got to develop that kind of mindset, right.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Yeah, relentless, relentless mindset. And I was ready for that next step and I took it.
Speaker 2: So we had a guy here, Mark Anderson in two thousand and six, Alabama fifth round pick came in had a ten sax season for a team that went to the Super Bowl. You know, it's like there's he was long like you, he was very good. Came out of the SEC you're coming out of the Big twelve. It's it's kind of interesting to see those comparisons and anything can happen because unlike a lot of positions, your job is just go get the quarterback. Yeah, you got to stand up against the run too, if you're gonna stay on the field for three downs. But that idea of developing a toolbox. And I've watched your ear tape and you've got counters, you got a lot. I love the long arm. That's my favorite at your go to So now that they watch you on tape two, are they teaching you and coaching you? Okay, you got to come up with different things to set up a guy over the course of a game.
Speaker 8: Yeah, there's a bunch of thing on, just just knowing what moves to work off, what counters, and just putting my whole whole repertoire together. But at the same time, I was in a two point stance, so just changing to a three point stance is a little bit different, a little bit less reading and more attacking.
Speaker 6: So I definitely like that part of it.
Speaker 2: What's the adjustment there, you know, because you could easily been an outside linebacker maybe in another system, putting your hand in the dirt. I'm assuming if you keep your pads down you get more of that explosion, you win that game. All leverage a little bit, which is always a challenge for offensive lineman or defensive lineman. So how are you tackling that? With a really good coaches in Travis Smith and obviously Eric Washington your defensive court.
Speaker 8: Yeah, they've been big helps, man, and they just they tell me everything I'm doing wrong, but they also tell me everything I'm doing right. So it's just been great feedback. I've been doing nothing but growing so far. But also in high school, i was at three point the whole time, so I'm familiar with it. Just getting back to it now with better coaching just been great.
Speaker 2: Austin Booker our guest here on ESPN one thousand of the Bears Radio Network, Jeff Joniyak here at HALLISALZ. They wrap up another day ota start next week. So you know it's like layering, right. I know you said, you know, mixing with the veterans a little bit, and that's a whole different experience, right, And you got a wonderful teacher to help you out, and a guy like Montes, sweat long like you but established been around, had an unbelievable impact for the Bears. Did you know? Did you know this fact? The only player in NFL history to lead two teams in sacts in the same year. He led the Washington Commanders last year, led the Bears this year. Now that's something I don't think anybody's gonna take away from contest. Wet.
Speaker 6: Oh, yeah, that's crazy. I did not know that. But yeah, like you guys.
Speaker 8: Said, he's a great player, those a lot of great things, and also has had a lot of experience being on multiple teams, but also being in the league for how long he has been. So I'm just looking forward to learning with him once he's in the Once he's in the building, we start phase three.
Speaker 6: So I just can't can't wait for that.
Speaker 2: Do you have to beat a sponge? You know? Picking up things and sometimes you know, I'm sure everybody from your agent to friends to former teammates are giving you insight and and how do you separate all that and just focus on, you know, the stuff that matters for the Bears. How you need to fit in this defense and how you can excel in this defense.
Speaker 8: I feel like, it's real easy. Just listen to the people in the in the building. They want the best for you, they know what's best for you. And then I mean sometimes it's hard, but you just gotta block out everything outside of the building for however long you're here. If I mean, you can talk to friends and family, but yeah, you just listen to people in the building for football stuff, and they got their best interest.
Speaker 2: I was watching rookie camp last weekend. I went up to Ryan Paul that man has some long legs and as you sat down right here, I wanted you to have the mic in the right place. You set a short tour, so man, you look like an NBA play right. Do you sometimes feel that? And if scouts told you that, and if people told you that a little bit.
Speaker 6: Yeah, one hundred percent.
Speaker 8: But the thing I tell them is I got country strength. I got heavy hands, so I can hold my own. But at the same time, I'm cognizant of that.
Speaker 6: I got to get bigger.
Speaker 8: I'm still twenty one, and I can I can grow. I can get stronger and faster, and I know I haven't made it, so just just being able to grow and learn from everybody.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, I mean what you guys have to go through when you come out to get ready for the combine and do the run and you're not really doing football right, You're not really being able to spend a ton of time in the weight room. It's really that even you'll mutter through this year, you know, you'll do what you can, but it's the next off season and the one after that where you're probably put on more armor. I don't know if they've explained that to you or what your mindset is, and if you do, you love the weight room.
Speaker 8: I love the weightroom, yeah, Covid, I got. I really got got in tune with the weight room because I just had nothing else to do.
Speaker 6: I didn't have school in person or nothing. So I was constantly the weight room.
Speaker 8: Since then, I've it's been a it's been a way to get away from from things since.
Speaker 2: So pre pre Covid, what'd you look like and what'd you wait to post Covid pre.
Speaker 8: Covid probably likewive just just finishing off the season. I mean, yeah, starting the season maybe two thirty b I two twenty five, getting off the season going into basketball season got canceled, So yeah, I was I was. I was real light, but I knew I was going to the Big ten, so I got in that weight room and I got right for sure.
Speaker 2: You know, back to COVID, you said, you know the season was canceled for basketball, and I'm sure football was interrupted at some level. It's almost for me. I don't even want to remember it, right, Yeah, how much did that delay your progress as an athlete in anyway? I know a lot of guys felt that way, and they did turn to the weight room and reinvented themselves. But how do you look at it now as a as a as a professional football player and what that what impact that made on you?
Speaker 8: I feel like it was mostly a positive impact, cause I's got a lot of free time to put towards football. But at the same time, I didn't get any official visits. They were all over Zoom, so I didn't really get a good field of my first college. So that was the only thing I would have would have took back, or that was probably the only negative effect on my career.
Speaker 6: I would say from COVID, grew.
Speaker 2: Up about three hours from here, right in Chicago anyway, not from Lake Forest a little further, but Greenwood, Indiana, Indiana. So, uh, you're going back? We three were gonna play the Indianapolis Colts and the stadium you want to State championship finished Lucas Oil. Uh when you saw that pop up on the schedule, you knew we were gonna play them there. What was your an immediate react?
Speaker 6: Man, I was excited.
Speaker 8: I got a bunch of people from home text me, we're gonna be there, blah blah blah. So I'm just looking forward to towards that opportunity to be in that stadium again and hopefully get another.
Speaker 2: Right, do you remember that's where That's where you're a couple. Tell me what you did in that championship game?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I had a couple of sacks. I had a bunch of tackles. I think we beating him like it was close to like fifty to fourteen something.
Speaker 6: WHOA, Okay, yeah we don't. We don't like the North Side guys got a real big win against them.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna assume Colts fan, but who knows. I always guess wrong with players. Even though you grew up there could what all sports? What were your favorite teams growing up?
Speaker 6: It was definitely just the Colts.
Speaker 8: Ye watching Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis, Like, you can't go wrong, and it's right down the street. So yeah, anytime I had a chance to put it on after after church on Sundays or whatnot, it was on.
Speaker 2: Well those guys.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I always remember when Freeny was drafted, there was big criticism, Oh why did you why did they draft this guy so high? I'm thinking to myself, Man, if you think, if your gut tells you a guy is gonna be great, and I don't care what round it's in, and you believe in this guy, take them. Yeah, stick with your instan Look, he's a Hall of Famer. Yeah, you know, enjoyed watching him in Mathis. Man, they were a dangerous dual the Bears in the O six Super Bowl that Devin has to return the opening kickoff too. How about NBA?
Speaker 6: I didn't watch too much basketball growing up.
Speaker 8: I didn't really have a favorite team, but I really just like to play basketball.
Speaker 3: Ye watching more? Yeah?
Speaker 2: And uh or your power forward?
Speaker 6: Power forward? Yeah, but there's not a lot of six six power forwards.
Speaker 2: Then no, you gotta be a shooting guard now exactly, So could you hit the three?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yes, I was a stretch, big stretch, big okay, But like.
Speaker 8: I went, when I went to travel season, I was running point guard, so uh, I had the handles, I had the quickness, but in high school it.
Speaker 3: Wasn't that way.
Speaker 8: They just threw me in the post because I was the tallest. So yeah, that's why basketball didn't really work out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what did you get out a rookie minicap?
Speaker 8: I just got a lot of a lot of competition. I mean you see a lot of guys coming in trying to work for the same spot.
Speaker 6: So that really just how my mindset to keep grinding.
Speaker 8: Because you get drafted, you get a bunch of a bunch of hungry guys exactly, yeah, exactly, and and you just want to get after it, keep working.
Speaker 6: And that's all I been.
Speaker 8: And then it happens again when you get with the with the vets, you see some older guys that are doing the same thing.
Speaker 6: So just just stay hungry.
Speaker 2: I appreciate you guys going to Bear's care of the rookie class came out and I've kind of set it up that way so you guys can then go about your business. I think if you guys would have stayed, you guys would have never been able to sit down and eat because the fans just crowded the dance floor where we were sitting standing. We each I asked you each, you guys a question, and the cameras are out, and man, it's it's this class has a chance to be an a historic one. And you guys probably feel it yourself, don't you.
Speaker 8: When we were on the bus there and bus back. I mean, you can just feel the energy. Everybody's about their business and wants to win. And how's that dog in them? So really excited about that.
Speaker 2: I don't remember what I asked you, but I know your answer. Beat the Packers. Yep, it's a crowd pleaser. See, can't go wrong. You're picking up the baton from Montes Sweat. He said the same thing in the off season. It's time just stop getting beat by the Green Bay Packers, so go get them. Appreciate you time. It's wonderful to have you here, start of a great future. Man, We're gonna enjoy watching you.
Speaker 6: I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Austin Booker, our guest here on ESPN one thousand of the Bears Ready, a Network Bears Weekly returns after this time.
Speaker 1: Outcus Bears Weekly with a Voice of the Bears for twenty three years. Jeff Jonat on the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 2: Call with all Bears fans want unforgettable access to see the Chicago Bears play at Soldier Field this season, well VIP Official Ticket Package is now available for every home game, unlocked access to exclusive ticket packages that may include entry to in stadium hospitality loungers, pre game sideline credentials, and the Chicago City Pass. Visit Chicago Bears VIP dot com or call eight six six two oh two fifty seven to fifty five for more info. Again, that's Chicago Bears VIP dot Com. Are called eight six six two o two five seven five five. Don't miss the exclusive opportunity with Chicago Bears VIP. Jeff Joniact time there. Jim Miller back with you on Bears Weekly here on the Espno. One thousands of the Bears Radio Network. Tom and Jim need your feedback. And what you heard from Austin Booker so much to get into with him, but really enjoyed him. And you know, Eric Washington, de coordinator last week talked about the energy he brings to every snap after analyzing his tape, and really that's where you begin and end here with the Bears. You got to have the juice on the field that you're not going to play. Also, they use the word slippery to describe his playing style.
Speaker 3: You know three things for me and about Austin Booker.
Speaker 4: I love when I hear players say they love the weight room, because that's the last thing I want to find out about them after they draft him, that they don't know how to get into the weight room, because I think they suffer from that. Number two, as I'm glad to hear him say he's played out of a right handed and a left handed stance, because if he was only comfortable out of one stance and then he had to take time to develop the familiarity, the balance and the comfort out of that other stance, it takes.
Speaker 3: A long time to work that lot like an offensive lineman.
Speaker 4: In number three, because of the Bears nutrition program, because of their food offerings, because of the weight room, I think those are the types of things that will help him get to the weight that the Bears have set for him, gain a considerable amount of strength within his first three years as an NFL player, And like I said, I think the nutritionists will be able to feed him efficiently to help him out.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this guy, he's twitchy, he's slithery. Like you said, some of his tape is pretty amazing when you watch him. He's got a long wingspan eighty one and a half. So he's got the traits that everybody's looking for. The thing about him. Five hundred and fifty five plays, that's all he's had in college. That's it. So I mean, it's going to happen fast for him. He's got a lot of work to do. The weight room is a big part of it, like Tom said, like he's got to live in there because right now he is not strong enough to hold up against the run. Now the situation will pass for us stuff. I think he'll be fine, and I think he will be able to contribute because he's got all the athleticism and a ray of moves and and some of his tapes suggests he's got some you know, some high upside to him. But the ability to stop to run that that's going to be a problem for him. And it's just going to take time for his body to mature, no matter how much or how hard he's working.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was two thirty five at the University of Minnesota when he got there, got up to two fifty at Kansas. I don't know what the plan is. I did, I did look on the internet today, just say what's the what's the average weight of an edge in the traditional defense in the NFL these days? And uh, it may have been outdated because it's at two sixty, because you'd be completely fine at two forty to forty five too fifty. Rush in the passer as long as you hang on to your explosion.
Speaker 4: Don't get in, don't get inefficiently heavy. That's the last thing he needs to do. But he does need to get stronger in the weight room. And I think when you have the advisory of the nutrition up there and they understand that they're feeding him the correct find a kind of food, and he is gaining those muscles, gaining the muscle, becomes more familiar with NFL offenses. I think you know all the requirements at that job, he'll be able to fulfill.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you the other answer. I like Jim when I asked him, feel weird that just three years and I don't know a few months, you were a high school senior and now you're a twenty one year old NFL player, And he said, not at all. This was my plan, and there was no back down, there was no this was it. This was clearly his plan. And I love that answer because you can't you can't change the hunger of a player. Yeah, I mean, you gotta have it or you don't, right, I mean.
Speaker 5: Yeah, players just think differently now coming out of college with the nil and they have a plan. Like he said, he definitely had a plan. I'll give you another example, a linebacker for the Detroit Lions, Alex Anzeloni. All right, so he came out early because he kept on having the injuries at University of Florida when he played there, and so his junior year when he finally stayed healthy, he goes, this is the healthiest I've been. I don't want to risk going back and getting hurt again. And I played my best football. So kind of when Austin Booker said, well, you got to strike while it's hot, you know, when it's there, and these players they really think about those things and when and why they decide.
Speaker 6: To come out.
Speaker 5: Now, you know, he probably there are other people, probably scouts that scouted him. He should return to college for one more year. But that was his plan his Obviously it worked here and the Bears drafted him. Some teams really raved about him, but they wanted probably one more year of maturity just because physically that's that's really where it needs to be for him.
Speaker 2: Tommy could wind up being a big steal in the draft because if he did stay in and he was very comfortable with how he was being pull deployed Deret, Kansas. Short of being a starter, he was a rotational guy and still came out strong, finished with eight sacks and a lot of tackles and made some really impressive plays. Could have been a first or second round pick this year. Guy at the senior ball, he would Jim, you have to agree, right he was? He looked really good. Tommy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he abused a couple of guys down there.
Speaker 6: It was nice to see.
Speaker 4: I'm not comparing them, but I'm saying the journey when you look at Richard Dent and he came out of college and he was an undersized guy that needed to play the run better. And Buddy Ryan told him, Richard, until you play the run for me, you're not gonna get on the field. And like Jim said, that's one of his early susceptibilities. He learns how to play the run and then he's able to contribute immediately become the pass rusher and the sacker that I think the Bears have their sights on for him. You never know where his career can go. And he's said a lot of things that were really encouraging me to meet today. In your interview with him, Jeff Batt, I feel good about I feel.
Speaker 2: Good about the kid after hearing that interview and then the comparisons that people have made and it's not you know, he reached out. He reached out to Max Crosby on granted he's one of the premier guys in the NFL with a great get off, but Travis Smith, he worked with Max Crosby, and that's the man you want to be in contact with for sure, because the guy players, as Jim always says, hair on fire. Indeed, all right, we're gonna take another break. We'll have our final segment coming up here on Bears Weekly with Tom Theayre and Jim Miller. I'm Jeff Joniak on the ESPN one thousand and the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Bears weekly with the voice of the Bears for twenty three years, Jeff Jony on the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 2: You by CDW people to get it, Jeff and Tom and Jim Miller from Serious x MNFL Radio former Bears quarterback. In our final segment, I should also say that I want to thank again the young man for joining us. But Austin Booker did sign his contract just moments after my interview with him. It came through. So three of the Bears five drafted rookies are signed, leaving Catle Williams and Roma Doonzay the number ones still yet to be taken care of it. That'll be short order, I'm sure as well. And some other things. Congrats to Eric Washington. He's headed to Nashville next week. He's going to be in the NFL Coaches Accelerator some it's a good program that started a few years back to help strengthen that pipeline of diverse coaching candidates. I don't know. I know Tom because you've mentioned it on the podcast as well. And Jim you've probably gotten to know him as well from the training camp tours that you've done. But Eric is u He sounds and talks like a head coach at the podium over there.
Speaker 6: No doubt.
Speaker 4: Yeah, when he addressed the podium for the first time. But again we've also knew knew Eric when he was with the Bears before. And then you think of the way Eric is going to help these young coaches going to the development look out, how we've seen him develop when he got when he got up to the podium, he was a super well spoken, intelligent, you know, defensive coordinator in this league.
Speaker 3: And then you kind of listen to him.
Speaker 4: Speak and you see why he deserves this opportunity.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Now, obviously it just continues to ascend. You know, it's a it's a very good staff. Obviously, the the NFL, at least the Park Avenue, they create lists of coaches that they project to be head coaching material, and I know he's been discussed to be put on the on that list, much like a lot of coaches have been talked. And that's really where you see why these interviews happen. A lot of the teams refer to that. I don't know what it's like a committee of former coaches, head coaches, and players and players that form that committee of who they oject to be next head coaching material, and I think Eric Washington is out fast on the rise for that.
Speaker 2: All right, so OTAs begin next week, so another step in the process. Again, these are all voluntary, but the Bears have had a good turnout from what I'm told, so a lot of veterans in the house and feeling the energy and the building. Everybody keeps talking about. And I've talked two players about what the locker room feels like right now, Like there's just a different feeling. And it's not just boloney. You could tell when players don't feel it, but Jim and Tom these guys feel it. The rookies are feeling it, and it's gonna be interesting when it all comes together once training camp starts. I think it'll be the most interesting training camp and all eyes glued on every aspect of this thing.
Speaker 4: I really do, Jeff when we are talking the other day about the role and the importance of the kicking game. So it's not only the individuals that we're going to be excited to watch throughout training camp, but it's the different segments of football. Because where the defense is starting off the season to where they finished up last year, we have high expectations for them when you look at the weapons they brought in on offense, we think the offense with Shane Waldron will have a lot more firepower. And then Coach high Tower, the special teams coordinator, when you sit out there every single day and watch the new design of the kickoff and kickoff return, it's it's gonna be fun.
Speaker 3: Oh oh yeah. They brought in a punter.
Speaker 4: That has an arsenal of kicking abilities. That's gonna be fun at that part of practice as well.
Speaker 5: I think they generally like each other as co workers. I think you get a sense of that, and they stick together.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: That's when I was impressed with most last year is how the team stuck together. Nobody was pointing fingers when the defense probably could have pointed the fingers early at that the offense, they didn't. They just went about working. But and I think they're just more mature now. You know, much like I brought up last year, that week one that kind of the that really just tore away the goodwill that they had built to the fans out there. This team won't fall into that trap. There's too many guys that went through that and experience that that they're gonna say, hey, we're we're working, We're need to get better, but we're not gonna be blindsided and be hitting the jaws so to speak, or knocked out what by week one? Because that Week one game and that loss and how they played that somewhat had that team in a hangover for a little bit. And you know, congratulations to Matt Everflus for really getting the team out of that funk and keeping the unit as a team together. And that's what I like the most. They're a tight knit group, yep.
Speaker 2: And I will tell you it's not some just traditional thing, oh you got to beat the packer. Now, these guys feel it. They're saying it because they're sick of it. And so I think that's gonna be something to watch too as we inch towards the latter part of the season. That's going to do it for us tonight. Thank you, Tom and Ja, Thanks to Austin Booker and our producers including Sean Greeney. Coming up next, Black and Abdaba on ESPN as Bears Weekly wraps up Here, I'm the home of the Chicago Bears, ESPN Chicago.
Speaker 1: Good night, everybody, Thank you for listening to the Chicago Bears Network presentation, The Bears Weekly, hosted by the Mara, Bearsville, Jeff Junia and Surfmaster Tom Thayer. Podcasts are available on the Chicago Bears Official Bears Weekly has been brought to you by Apple Podcasts, bet Rivers, Igs Energy, and Miller Lite