Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: We got some new forecasts from JP Morgan in the last twenty four hours and they're looking for yields to go even higher. They're looking for five forty on thirties, four eighty five on ten's and Barclay's say there's room for long term rates to move even higher. What does it mean for this competition for capital, this race to raise money? Joining us now Madison Company vice chair and former House Majority leader Eric Canterer, Eric at Mornig, It's good to see it, great to be here. We've got a major competition for capital. I haven't seen anything like this for a long long time. What do you see in your business?
Speaker 3: Look, some people say that we are in the biggest investment cycle since the late eighteen hundreds. I mean, it is amazing to see sort of the pivot into this incredible digital infrastructure surge around data centers and really the standing up of new industries are most I mean this is I think we're every conversation that we're having at Morris is somehow downstream from this incredible cycle we're seeing. And you know, listen, the markets are still constructive for the m and a deal environment. As you said just now, the resiliency is pretty stunning on the consumer end, although people will say it's a case shaped consumer market. But for now, again, I think you've got Washington poise such that it wants to see this growth continue given everything else that's going on in the world.
Speaker 2: We were speaking to Cisco to G two Pateau in the last week or so, and I've been somewhat concerned about where the technology might be heading for several different reasons. And he asked me if I was still skeptical concerned, and I said I was becoming more concerned about where financial markets were going, the amount of debt that's being issued, the amount of debt that will be issued over the next year, and perhaps even beyond. Have we entered the more creative stage on Wall Street that might be of concern.
Speaker 3: Look, there's no question, Number one, there's a super cycle for the megacaps. I mean there's no question. And we've seen this with hyper scaleers. We're seeing this with everyone you know on the board level, at the senior management level, who come into their jobs every day and say, hey, how are we going to position given this technological revolution that we're facing and given where the constructive nature of the regulatory environment, I think that there is a willingness and a desire to want to transact.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: On the private equity side, you know, there's a lot of dialogue that continues, and I know that we and Molis are continuing in all kinds of discussions with our sponsor clients as well. And there's just availability of capital for good companies, you know, as we know, there's been a thematic in the sponsor world about trying to return more capital to LPs and if there isn't a traditional exit strategy, there are all kinds of creative solutions to help these investors access capital so they can return to LPs and start a new fund. So it is pretty remarkable the resiliency of what we're seeing.
Speaker 1: How active do you expect deals to be in the second half, I mean, is it going to be accelerating actually even from the first half because of the smaller corporate action from LPs from these exits that are getting creative.
Speaker 3: Well, I just think in general, the markets are still looking fairly healthy. As you noted, the earning season has been pretty stunning on the part of those that have reported, and I think that is indicative of where the mindset is that we are continuing an upward trend just in the macro level of the market. So, you know, you have midterms looming out there, and people always like to say, will that or won't that impact transaction activity? We'll have to see.
Speaker 1: Do you think that good corporates are competing for capital with the US government?
Speaker 3: Look, I don't think there's any question, But if you look at the spreads between you know, the ten year corporate investment grade instrument versus the ten year I think if historically it's one hundred and fifty bases points spread, I think we're under one hundred now, which could tell you one or two things. Either corporates are getting a lot more healthy or the government's getting a little less healthy. So I do think there is a race for capital. And as we said before, we're in the super cycle of investment. The preferred choice of financing currently has been this issuance of debt on the private side, and yet we have this increasing populism around the world that is forcing governments to have to take a look at how much and how they're going to figure out to finance the needs of their government and their population.
Speaker 2: The increasing and grime. Majority of that all in yield is the treasury, and I think that's tiws you about where the concern might be more recently.
Speaker 1: Well, and that's really the ultimate question. Are we getting to that Liz trust moment in the United States? Do you see us as getting closer to it?
Speaker 3: I don't tell me. I have a lot of faith in America. And you know, look at.
Speaker 2: Eric, I've got tons of faith in America. I love this country. Do I have faith in your Washington? I have far less faith in your Washington.
Speaker 3: Look. I've always said that this country, more so than any where else in the world, relies on the growth and the innovation in the private sector. And we've always found a way to try and rise the occasion. And the private sector puts the pressure on Washington.
Speaker 2: Right, there's the issue, and private sector's on this job.
Speaker 3: The private sector.
Speaker 2: But the economy, this economy, the US economy is grand tons when you're intically, when you just want to finish the thought it's important. It's done fantastically well, and we're still running deficits around six percent percent.
Speaker 3: And that's why I think that all this discussion around Kevin Morrison. You know, I happen to be a big fan of his, and I happen to think he's been unequivocal on his desire to beat inflation. He said, where we are is not success.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: And the markets and the let's just say, the observers are throwing a tantrum that he's not being more like Jay Powell, but he's not being like Alan greens fan, like which way are we going to go? And I think there is a space in the middle for him to go. And he said he doesn't like the mission creep of the Federal Reserve. He wants to get back to basics. He wants to make sure that there is some discipline about the regulatory construct of the federal zero. But all that having been said, I'll tell you that the net interest costs, and we've talked about this before, the net interest costs of the federal government is at a point now where in history, markets, bond markets, and others begin to pay attention and Washington wakes up and it will do its job when it has to, because the political cost of inaction will become more than acting. And that's I think when it does work, and it will in this country.
Speaker 1: Just based on what you're seeing in the companies that you do business with, do you think it's appropriate for the Fed to hike rates to try to restrain some of what we're seeing with respect to inflation?
Speaker 3: Again, I just think, you know, from you know, a firm like Arison Mollis, you know, we are looking at where management teams, boards take a view of their own company, and they are receivers of what the policy makers are doing in Washington. And so I think that the Federal Reserve and other are looking at it from a much more macro level, and that is where are we going to be long term? What does this mean? And when you're in an election year, what does this mean? Not just for the businesses that we advise, but it's really about the people who are waking up this morning and looking at those gas prices and what does that mean and how does that figure into inflation? You know, we've got a real shortage of refined product. You know, there's been a lot of controversy about the earnings of the super majors in the oil and gas sector, but again, it's really about the market. It is. People have been saying for months now that this conflict in the Middle East is going to result in a shortage of supply. I mean, we know that that was coming, and I think we're here now