Speaker 1: Cauzone Media.
Speaker 2: Hey everyone, it's me ed Ze Tron and we're doing a rerun episode this week. Sadly, the in studio recording we did with Ashmund Rodriguez and Victoria's song we had a technical fall. Nothing we can do. It sucks, but we're doing a rerun this week. We're doing the Academics that think Chat GPT is BS and this is one of my favorite episodes I ever recorded. It changed how I do interviews for at Large. It's with these three academics, Michael Townsend Higgs, James Humphries and Joe Slater, who wrote a paper using the actual Frank thirty in definition of bullshit to say that chat GPT bullshits. It's so much fun. It's one of my favorite episodes I've recorded. I will have you a monologue this week as well. I do apologize for not having something new for you this week. You'll still get the monologue on Friday, though. Thank you for your time, your patience and of course for listening to Better Offline. Hello and welcome to Better Offline. I'm your host ed Ze Trunk. In early June, three researchers from the University of Glasgow published a paper in the Ethics of Information and Technology Journal called chat GBT is bullshit, And I just want to be clear. This is a great and thoroughly researched, from well argued paper. This is not silly at all. It's actually great academia. And today I'm joined by the men who wrote it, academics Michael Townsend Hicks, James Humphries, and Joe Slater, to talk about chat gbt's mediocrity and how it's not really built to represent the world at all. So, for the sake of argument, could you define bullshit for me?
Speaker 3: So you are bullshitting if you are speaking without caring about the truth of what you say. So normally, if I'm telling you staff about the world in a good case, I'll be telling you something that's true, and like trying to tell you something that's true. If I'm lying to you, I'll be knowingly telling you something that's false or something I think is false. I'm bullshitting. I just don't care. I'm trying to get you to believe me. I don't really care about whether what I say is true. I might not have any particular view on whether it's true or not right.
Speaker 2: And you define between like soft and hard bullshit? Can you also get into that as well? Can you also identify yourselves as well too?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, and Joe.
Speaker 3: So the soft bullshit hard bullshit distinction is a very serious and technical distinction, right, So he came up with this because bullshit is in the technical philosophical sense. Comes from Harry Frankfurt, recently diseased but a really great philosopher, and he talks about the about bullshit that there is in a popular culture and just in general discourse these days. Some of the ways he talks about bullshit seem to suggest that it needs to be accompanied by a sort of malign intention.
Speaker 4: I'm doing something kind of bad.
Speaker 3: I'm intending to mislead you about the enterprise of of what I'm.
Speaker 4: Doing, maybe about who you are or what you know.
Speaker 1: So you might be trying to portray yourself as someone who is knowledgeable about a particular subject. Maybe you're a student who showed up to class without doing the work. Maybe you're trying to portray yourself as someone who's virtuous in ways you're not. Maybe you're a politician who wants to seem like you care about your constituents, but actually you don't. So you're not trying to mislead somebody about what you're saying the content of your utterance.
Speaker 4: You're trying to.
Speaker 1: Mislead them instead about like why you're saying it's that's what we call hard bullshit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's one of the things Frankfort talked about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so Frankfurt doesn't make this hard bullshit soft bullshit in the station, but we do because sometimes it seems like Frankfurt has this particular kind of intention in mind, but sometimes he's just a bit looser with it. And we want to say that CHAT GPT and other large language models they don't really have this intention to deceive because they're not people that don't have these intentions. They're not trying to mess with us in that kind of way, but they do lack this kind of caring about truth.
Speaker 6: Well, I'm James, by the way, I suppose we strictly don't want to say that they aren't hard bullshitters. And we just think if you don't think that large language models are sapient, if you don't think they're kind of minds in any important way, then they're not hard bullshitters. So I think in the paper we don't take a position on whether or not they are. We just say, if they are, this is the way in which they are. But minimally they're soft bullshitters, So they're kind of soft bullshites, as Joe says, doesn't require that speakers attempting to deceive the audience about the nature of the enterprise.
Speaker 5: Hard bullshit does.
Speaker 6: So if it turns out that large language models are sapient, which they're definitely not, like that's just.
Speaker 2: Technicio property, Yeah, that's nonsense.
Speaker 6: Yeah, But if they are, then they're hard bullshitters and minimally soft bullshitters or their bullshit machines.
Speaker 2: So you also make the distinction in there the intention, so the very fabric of hard bullshit that you intentionally are bullshitting to someone, You kind of make this distinction that the intention of the designer and the involved prompting could make this hard bullshit. Because with a lot of these models and someone recently jail broke chat GPT and it listed all of the things that's prompted to do, could prompting be considered intentional that Sam Altman, CEO of open Ai, could be intentionally bullshitting I think it is.
Speaker 6: And yeah, this again, I think it's something I don't know what the kind of hive mind consensus on this is. I'm sort of sympathetic to the idea that if you take this kind of purposive or teleological attitude towards right, what an intention is an effort to do something, then maybe they do have intentions. But again, I think in the paper we just sort of wanted I mean, it's a standard philosophical move, right, just sort of go, look, here's all this uncontroversial stuff as we can make it. Now we can hit you with the really controversial shit that we wanted to get to. So in the paper we sort of deliberately when maybe you might think it has intentions for it this reason, we kind of have no judgment on this efficiently, I'm sympathetic to the sort of view that you're putting.
Speaker 5: I think you're kind of sympathetic this as well.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, so, I Mike, there are a few ways that you can think of CHATCHYBT as having intentions.
Speaker 4: I think, and we talk about a few of them.
Speaker 1: One is by thinking of the designers who created it as kind of imbuing it with intentions. So they created it for a purpose and to do a particular task, and that task is to make people think that it's a normal sounding person.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: It's to make people, when they have a conversation with it, not be able to distinguish between what it's outputting and what a normal human would say.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: Right, And that kind of goal, if it amounts to an intention, is the kind of intention we think a bullshitter has.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: It's not trying to deceive you about anything it's saying. It doesn't care whether what it's saying is true. That's not part of the goal. But the goal is to do is to make it seem as if it's something that it's not, like specifically a human interlocator. And one source for that goal is the programmers who designed it. Another is the training method. So it was trained by being given sort of positive and negative feedback in order to achieve a specific thing, right, And that specific thing is just sounding normal. And that's so similar to what our students are doing when they try to pretend that they read something they haven't read.
Speaker 2: There is something very collegiate about the way it bullshits.
Speaker 4: Though.
Speaker 2: It reminds me of when I was in college, as when Penn State and Aporistwyth two very different institutis.
Speaker 4: Right, both kind of in the middle of nowhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, both very sad. But the one thing you saw with like students who were doing like B plus homework is they were using words they didn't really understand. They were putting things together in a way that really is like the intro body can clu usion. There was a certain formula behind it, and it's just it feels exactly like it. But that kind of brings me to my next question, which is, how did you decide to write this? What inspired this?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 6: I would feel this because whenever Mike tells the story, you get a sanitized version.
Speaker 5: We were in the pub winsing about student essays. Perfect, yeah, like you were not long here, right, you're not long yeah, long post of.
Speaker 6: A bunch of us sort of went to the pub on a notional let's let's welcome our new members of staff sort of event, and inevitably we had about two points we were all passing and moaning and I think it might have been Neil that kind of prompted this.
Speaker 4: No, I don't think he was about it.
Speaker 5: We talked about it after, right, Yeah, in a case like sort of came out.
Speaker 6: We were talking about this sort of prevalence of chat GPT generated stuff and kind of what it said about how at least some students were kind of approaching assessments and you know, I forget who. Someone sort of just went off hand, Yeah, but it's all just Frank thirty and bullshit though, wasn't it. And we sort of collectively went hello, because obviously we all having a background plosophy, we've all read on bullshit. You know, we all went we get to say bullshit and allegedly serious academic work. So the start of it was we've had this experience of having to read all of this kind of uncanny Valley stuff, and when prompted, we all went, oh, it really is like Frank thirteen bullshit in a way that we can probably get paper ouse off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And at that point I think we were in the department meetings talking about how to deal with chat GPT written papers. And there were discussions going on all over the university, including kind of in high levels and the administration to come up with a policy. And we specifically wanted a stronger policy because our university is very interested in cutting into technology, right, and so they wanted the students to have an experience using and figuring out how to use whatever the freshest technology.
Speaker 2: Is, right, as they should as they should, but not for essays.
Speaker 4: Right, that's the worry we had. We thought, you know, if we're not very clear.
Speaker 1: About this, the students will be using it in a way that will detract from their educational experience.
Speaker 4: Right. And at the same time, it was becoming more.
Speaker 1: Widely known how these machines work, like specifically how they're doing next token or next word prediction in order to come up with a digestible string of text. And when you know that that's how they're doing it, I mean, it seems so similar to what humans do when they have no idea what they're talking about. And so when we were talking about it just seemed like an obvious paper that someone was going to write, and we thought that had better bs. You know, eventually people are going to see this connection and it's a great papa.
Speaker 4: I think it worked very well.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think that it's the kind of thing where when I pitch this to other philosophers, it doesn't take them very long to just agree to be like, ah, yes.
Speaker 5: That's right.
Speaker 2: It's an interesting philosophical concept as well, because the way that people look at chat GPT in large language models is very much machine do this. But when you think about it, there are other ways what people are giving it consciousness. I just sort of tweet just now if someone talk about saying please with every request, it's like, no, I will abuse the computer in whatever manner I see fit. But it's it's curious because I think more people need to be having conversations like this. And one particular thing I like that you said, I actually would love you to go into more detail, is you said, the chat GIPT in large language buddels, they're not designed to represent the world at all. They're not lying or misrepresenting. They're not designed to do that. What do you mean by that?
Speaker 1: I mean kind of as background, I do philosophy of science, but my thoughts about something like chatchipt are largely inspired by the fact that I also teach a class called Understanding Philosophy through Science Fiction.
Speaker 4: Oh and and now we like talk.
Speaker 1: About whether computers could be conscious, and I don't know what you guys think. Actually I think they could, right, I just don't think this one is. And part of the reason I think they could, but this one isn't is that I think that in order to sort of represent the world or have the kinds of things we have their like beliefs, desires, thoughts that are about external things, you have to have internal states that are connected in some way to the external world. Usually causation, we're perceiving things, information is coming in. Then we've got some kind of state in our brain that's designed just to track these things in the external world.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: That's a huge part of our cognitive lives is just tracking external world things, and it's a very important part of childhood development when you figure out how to act.
Speaker 2: It's semiotics, right, Daniel Chanler Aperistwyth told me semiotics it's like anception of the world.
Speaker 1: And this is like theory of meaning stuff. So yeah, semiotics is like theory of science. How is it that assign It can be both the representation of the thing and the thing itself. That can happen, yeah, but not always. Sometimes it's just the representation of the thing. And there's a lot of philosophy is about figuring out how brain states or words on a page can be about external world things. And a big part of it, at least from my perspective, has to do with tracking those things, keeping tabs on them, changing as a result of seeing differences in the external world. And chatch ept is not doing any of that, right, that's not what it's designed to do. It's taking in a lot of data once and then using that to respond to text. But it's not remembering individuals, tracking things in the world in any way perceiving things in the world. It's just forming a sort of statistical model of what people say. And that's kind of so divorced from what most thinking beings do.
Speaker 2: It's divorced from experience.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I mean, as far as I can tell, it doesn't have anything like experience.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And that's one of the things that this, I think of in one way, comes down to, is that if you sort of post this sufficiently far, someone is going to go, ah, isn't this just bioschauvinism, right, Like, aren't you just assuming that unless something runs on like meat, it can't be sentient? And this isn't something we get into into the paper, partly because we didn't really think it was worth addressing. But the sorts of things that seem like they're like never mind consciousness, right, But it seemed to be necessary in order for something to be trying to track the world, or in order to be corresponding the world, or to form beliefs about the world. Chat GPTs just doesn'tthing to meet any of them. Kind Of, it's if it does turn out that it's sapient, and then chat gpt has got some profoundly serious executive function disorders, right, sapient, Right, so we don't have to worry about it. But kind of it's not the case that we've got some blundering proto general intelligence that's trying to figure out how to represent the world. It's not trying to represent the world at all. This utterances are designed to look as if it's trying to represent the world, and then we just go that that's just bullshit. This is a classic case of bullshit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it seems to be making stuff up, but making stuff up doesn't even seem to describe it. It's just throwing shit at a wall accurately but not accurately enough.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's got various guidelines that allow it to throw shit at the wall where a sort of reasonably high degree of Actually, no, you're right, I mean one of the things that a human bullshitter could at least be characterized as doing is. They'd have to try and kind of judge their audience, right, they'd have to try and make the bullshit plausible to the audience that they're speaking to, and chat GPT can do that, right. All it can do is go on a statistically large enough model and it looks like Z follows, why follows X. It's not kind of got any or doesn't have any consciousness at all, of course, but it doesn't have any sensitivity to the sorts of things that people are in fact likely to find plausible. It just does a kind of brute number crunch. So it's more complicated than that, but I think it boils down it effectively to kind of number crunching, right, kind of data and context.
Speaker 2: In which probablistic planning of what planning it doesn't plan. That's the thing. It's interesting. There are these words you use to describe things that, when you think about it, are not accurate. You can't say it plans or things.
Speaker 1: I think one thing between when we came up with the idea and when we finish writing the paper, we spend some time reading about how it works and how it represents language and what the statistical.
Speaker 4: Model is like.
Speaker 1: And I was maybe more impressed than James about that, because it is like doing things that are similar to what we do when we understand language. It does seem to kind of locate words in a meaning space right right, and connect them to other words, and you know, show similarity and meaning, and it also does seem to be able to in some way understand context.
Speaker 4: But we don't know how.
Speaker 1: Similar that is for a variety of reasons, but mostly because it's too big of a system and we can only kind of probe it. And it's trained indirectly, right, so it's not programmed by individuals. And even though that's kind of a very impressive model of language and meaning and may in some ways be similar to or what we do when we understand language, we're doing a lot more things like planning, things like tracking things in the world. Just having desires and representing the way you want the world to be and thereby generating goals doesn't seem to be something that it has anything any room for in its.
Speaker 6: Architect So this is something of the time of it's just goods to me, and you were talking about the kind of in some ways it learns language the same way that we do. I mean, it's got no grasp of expleted in fixation, right, this is one of chum's here.
Speaker 2: What does that mean? Just for not for me? I definitely know.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, of course, if I give you the sentence that's completely crazy, man, and tell you to put the word fucking into that sentence, there's a number of ways in which any language speaker is going to do it that they'll just go yeah, like of course.
Speaker 5: That where it goes, right.
Speaker 6: But we it seems that we've got a grasp on this incredibly early on in a way that doesn't look like it's the ways at least most of us that taught language, right, we get quite highly told off when we try and do.
Speaker 5: Expleted in fixation.
Speaker 6: Yes, So this I think would be one of those cases where you could do a sort of dis analogy by cases. Right, you present chat GPT a sentence and say insert the word fucking correctly in this sentence, and I doesn't think it would be very good at it.
Speaker 4: I think it would be.
Speaker 5: I think you reckon. I mean we probably couldn't.
Speaker 4: We could, but we shouldn't. Yeah.
Speaker 1: One of the things that I thought was like kind of interesting about how it works is that it does learn language, probably differently from the way we do, but it does it all by examples, you know, So it's looking at all these pieces of text and thinking, ah, this is okay, that's okay. And one kind of interesting thing about how humans understand language is that we're able to kind of understand meaningless but grammatical sentences. It's not clear to me that chat GPT would understand those. That's another Chopski example. So you know, Chowski has this example that's.
Speaker 5: Like, what is it colorless? Us sleep furiously color?
Speaker 1: It's colorless green ideas, right, And that's a meaningless sentence, but it's grammatically well formed, and we can understand that it's grammatically well formed, but also that it's meaningless. Because chat Gibt kind of combines different aspects of what philosophers of language, logicians, linguistics people see y as like different components of meaning. It sees these as all kind of wrapped up in the same thing. It puts them in the same big model. I'm not sure it could differentiate between ungrammaticality and meaninglessness.
Speaker 2: So we're doing real time science right now. I just yeah, we should check the word shoe into the following sentence in the correct way. Man, that's crazy. And I did it six times, and I would say fifty percent of the time it got it right. And it did. Man, that's fucking crazy. Man, that's crazy. Fucking Man, that's fucking crazy. Man, that's crazy. Fucking My favorite is man, comma, that's crazy, Comma fucking.
Speaker 5: To be fair.
Speaker 6: Reliable, you take the commas out of that last one, and you've got a grammatical sentence.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Of course in Glasgow you can also start with fucking man, that's crazy.
Speaker 2: West London as well. But the thing is, though it doesn't know what correct means there.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now, when it's trained on this language, when it's trained on thousands of Internet posts that stole, it's not like it reads them and says, oh, I get this, like I see what they're going for. It just learns structures by looking, which is kind of how we learn language. But it kind of reminds me of like when I was a kid and i'd hear someone say something funny, I'd to repeat it, and my dad, who's wonderful, would just say, that doesn't make any sense, and you'd have to explain because if you're learning everything through copying. You're not learning, you're just memorizing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: There's a I don't know if you have already talked to somebody about this, but there's a you know, a classic argument from child Skyt against behaviorism.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Behaviorism is the view that we learn everything through stimulus and response.
Speaker 4: Roughly, that's not exactly.
Speaker 1: It, but I'm not a philosopher of mine, so I can get away with with that.
Speaker 4: So Chomsky says, look, we don't get enough.
Speaker 1: Stimulus to learn language as quickly as we do just through watching other people's behavior and copying it. We have to have some in built grammatical structures that language is latching onto. And there's been some papers arguing that chatchipt shows Chomsky was wrong because it doesn't.
Speaker 4: Have the inbuilt grammatical structure.
Speaker 1: But one interesting thing is it requires ten to one hundred times more data than a human child does when learning language. Right, So Chomsky's argument was, we don't get enough stimulus, and chat GPT can kind of do it without the structure, but it's not quite doing it as well, and it gets like orders of magnitude more input than a human does.
Speaker 4: Before a human learns language, which is kind of interesting.
Speaker 6: And it's still going to do something as basically as putting the word yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: It doesn't even see and it doesn't have the knowledge to say, request more context because it doesn't perceive context. And that's kind of the interesting thing. So there was another paper out of Oxford, I think that's talking about cognition and chat GPT and all this thing, and it's just it doesn't feat chat GPT features in no way any of the things that the human mind is really involved in. It seems it's mostly just not even memorization, because it doesn't memorize. It's just guessing based on a very blooge pile of stuff. But this actually does lead me to marvel question, which is, you don't like the term hallucination. Why is that hallucination?
Speaker 3: It makes it sound a bit like I'm usually doing something right and I'm looking around seeing the world.
Speaker 4: That's something like what it really is.
Speaker 3: And then one little bit of the feature for a visual hallucination, one feature of my visual field actually isn't represented in the real world. It's not actually there. Everything else might well might well be right. Imagine I hallucinate there's a red balloon in front of me. I still see Mike, I still see James, I still see the laptop. One bit is wrong, everything else is right. And I'm doing the same thing that I'm usually doing, Like my eyes are still working pretty much normally, I think, I and this is the way that I usually get knowledge about the world. This is a pretty reliable process for me learning from it right and representing the world in this way. So when talking about hallucinations, this suggests that chat Gypt and other similar things, they're going through this process that is usually quite good at representing the world and then oh, it's made a mistake this one time, but actually no, it's bullshitting the whole time, and like sometimes it gets things right right bullshitting just like a politician. Imagine a politician that bullshits all the time, if you could possibly imagine it. Sometimes they might just get some things true, and we should still call them bullshitting because that's what they're doing. And this is what a GPT is doing every time it produces an output. So this is why we think bullshit is a better way of thinking about this. A one of the reasons why we think bullshit's a better way think about it.
Speaker 1: I also kind of think that some of the ways we talk about chat gpt lin, even when it makes mistakes, lind themselves to overhyping its.
Speaker 4: Ability or overestimating its.
Speaker 1: Abilities, and talking about it is hallucinating is one of these because when you say that it's hallucinating, as you're pointed out, you're giving the idea that it's representing the world in some way and then telling you what the content and.
Speaker 6: It has perception, Yeah, exactly like it has perceived something and like, oh no, it's taken some computer acid and now it's hallucinating like mattery things.
Speaker 5: Yeah, just as you say, And.
Speaker 4: That's not what it's doing.
Speaker 1: And so when the kind of people who are trying to promote these these things as products talk about the AI hallucination problem, they're kind of selling a product that is a product that's representing the world usually checking things and occasionally makes mistakes. And if the mistakes were, like Joe said, we're a misfiring of a normally a reliable process or you know, something that normally represents going wrong in some way, that would lend itself to certain solutions to them, and it would make you think there's an underlying reliable product here, right, which is exactly what somebody who's making a product to go to the market.
Speaker 4: Will want you to think. Right.
Speaker 1: But if that's not what it's doing in a certain sense, they're misrepresenting what it's doing even when it gets things right.
Speaker 4: And that's that's for all of us who.
Speaker 1: Are going to be using these systems, especially since people, you know, most people don't know how this works. They're just understanding the product as it's described to them using these kind of metaphors. So the way the metaphor describes it is going to really influence how they think about it and.
Speaker 4: How they use it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, just to sort of catfit off if I can.
Speaker 6: Is one of the responses to some corners has been to sort of say, of us, look, you wings about people at anthropomorphosizing chat GPT, but look, if you've got a bullshitty, you're doing exactly the same thing. And I mean there might be some center which it's just really hard not to antropomorphise it. I don't know why I picked the word that I can barely say, like we've been doing it constantly throughout this discussion, right when we're talking through the kind of through the paper we kept talking about chat GPT as if it had intention, right, as if it was thinking about anything. That might be another reason to call it bullshet We go, Look, if we have to treat it as if it's doing something like what we do, it's not hallucinating, it's not lying, it's not confabulating, it's bullshitting, right.
Speaker 5: And if we have to treat it as if.
Speaker 6: It's behaving in some kind of human like way, here's the appropriate human like behavior to describe it.
Speaker 2: I also think the language in this case, and one of the reasons they probably like the large language model concept is language gives life too things when we describe the processes through which we interact with the world and interact with living beings, even cats, dogs, even we anthropomoise living things. But also when we communicate with something, languages life, and so it probably works out really fucking well for them. Sam Oltman was saying a couple of weeks back, maybe a month or two. He was saying, oh, yeah, AI is not a creature with something he said, and it was just so obvious. What he wanted people to do was say, but what if it was? Or are people saying this is a creature and it almost feels like just part of the con Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I hadn't thought about that as a reason for them to go for large language models as a way of kind of, I don't know, being the gateway into war investment in fight consciousness. Yeah yeah, but I had thought about, like how this might have been caused by just like deep misunderstandings of the turning test.
Speaker 2: Right, go ahead, I want to hear this one.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that like the turning test, I think this is closer to what Turing was thinking. But the turning test is a way of getting evidence that something is conscious. Right, So you know, I'm not in your head, so I can't feel your feelings or think your thoughts directly, right, I have to judge whether you're conscious based on how you interact with me, And the way I do it is by listening to what you say, right, and talking to you and turning sort.
Speaker 4: Of was asked, you know, how would you know if a computer was conscious?
Speaker 1: So, you know, we think that our brains are doing something similar to what computers do. That's a reason to think that maybe computers eventually could have thoughts.
Speaker 4: Like ours, right, and some of us. I think that I think it's possible.
Speaker 1: Great, Yeah, I didn't know if they thought it was possible, because not everybody thinks it's possible.
Speaker 2: It's possible, I just don't know how.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah. The Turing was kind of you know, thinking like how would we know?
Speaker 1: And one way we would know, the obvious way is to do the same thing you do to humans, talk to it and see how it responds. And that's actually pretty good evidence if you don't have the ability to look deeper. But it's not constitutive of being conscious. It's not what makes something conscious or determines whether they're conscious or in any way like grounds their consciousness. Right, Their ability to talk to you is just evidence. It's just one signal you can get. And that's the way to think of the Turing test. So as a result of people thinking in a kind of behaviorist way, thinking, ah, passing the Turning test is just all it is to be a thinking thing. There have been at least since the nineties, attempts to design chatbots that can beat the Turning test right, and popularizations of these attempts and run throughs of the Turing test that talk as if, oh, if a computer finally beats the Turing test.
Speaker 4: I should say what the Turing test is? Right?
Speaker 1: The way turn suggests that the test works is you have a computer and a person both chatting in some way with a judge, and the judge is also a person, right, And if the judge can't tell which of the people he's chatting with is a human, then the computer's one the right test because it's ditinguishable from a human.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: So people have taken this and it's been popularized as a way of determining sort of full stop, whether something's conscious.
Speaker 4: But it's just a piece of evidence, and.
Speaker 1: We have a lot more evidence, Like we know a lot more than Turning did, about how the internal functioning of a mind works functionally, what it's doing, how representation works, how experience and belief works, how they are connected to action, and how they're connected to speech and thought. And once you know all that stuff, you have a lot of other avenues to get more evidence about whether the thing is conscious and.
Speaker 4: Whether it passes.
Speaker 1: The Turning test is just like a drop in the bucket compared to these, especially if you know how internal functioning.
Speaker 6: The other the story is problem with the showing test, and I think to be fair cheering did mention this, If not in the original then kind of later on. One problem with the Chewing test is that it's like the de void camp in de androids gream of electric cheap right. Plenty of humans would fail the Cheuring test. Yeah, it is a piece of evidence, but it was never as Mike said, it was supposed to be constitutive. It wasn't like, if you can do this thing, your conscious kind of full stopped. It was supposed to be here is a thing that might indicate that being you're talking to is conscious.
Speaker 4: Happily, as Ma said, we've got loads and loads of other evidence.
Speaker 1: So these guys have made a machine that's just designed to do one thing, and that's past the Turing test.
Speaker 2: I can give you one more annoying example. Are you familiar with Francois Cholet the abstraction and reasoning corpus. So this is going to make you laugh. So he's a Google engineer, and he created this thing of the arc, the abstraction reasoning corpus, the test whether a machine was intelligent, and someone created a model that could be it, and then he immediately went, Okay, you can't just train the model on the answers to the test.
Speaker 6: This is why people, well I see people a fairly small subset of weird nerds. But this is why a small subset of weird nerds have been for the last twenty years emphasizing artificial general intelligence, right, and kind of like what we'll call it. When something really is a thinking being is when it's not specialized to do one and only one task, but rather when it's capable of applying reasoning to multiple kinds of different and this analogous cases. On the one hand, it does seem a little bit like the guy flipping the table and go, oh, for Fox's sake, now you've won.
Speaker 5: I'm changing the rules.
Speaker 6: But on the other I think he's got a point, right, Yeah, if you're training a thing to do very specific you know, like activate certain shiboleths, then unless you're some kind of mad hard behaviorist, then yeah, like it's not that doesn't demonstrate intelligence.
Speaker 5: It is one thing that might indicate intelligence.
Speaker 2: It's the same problem with chat GPT. It's built to resemble intelligence, and resemble conscious this, and resemble these things, but it isn't. It's almost like it's meaningless. On a very high end philosophical levels. I find the whole generative a I think deeply nihilistic.
Speaker 1: I mean, one thing that connects to this is how bad it is at reasoning. And this is kind of good for us, especially in philosophy.
Speaker 4: Because our students when they use.
Speaker 1: It to write papers, the papers have to have arguments, and chat GPT is very bad at doing reasoning. If it has to be you know, sort of an extended argument or a proof or something like that, it's very bad at it. I think also that if there's one thing kind of we learned from chat GPT, it's that this is not the way to get to artificial general intelligence.
Speaker 2: I was going to ask, do you think that this is getting to that?
Speaker 1: No, partially because it's so subject specific, right, It's one it's trained to do one task, and it takes quite a lot of training to get it to do that task. Well, it's bad at many of the other tasks that we think are connected with intelligence. It's bad at logical, mathematical reasoning. I understand that open AI is trying to fix that. Sometimes it sounds like they want to fix it by just connecting it to a.
Speaker 4: Database or a program that can do that for it. But either way when you have with.
Speaker 1: These kind of big base nets models, it's something that is really good at whatever you train it to do, but not going to be good at anything else. You know, it's been a lot of data on one thing. It finds patterns in that, it finds regularities in that, it represents those.
Speaker 4: The more data you feed it, the better it will be at that.
Speaker 1: But it's not going to have this kind of general ability and it's not going to grow it out of learning how to speak English.
Speaker 4: Have you heard the Terry Pratchet quote about It's quite early on.
Speaker 6: He's talking about Hex, the kind of steampunk computer they make and Unteen University, and it just has this off hand line. A computer program is exactly like a philosophy professor, unless you ask it the question in exactly the right way, delight in giving you a perfectly accurate, completely unhelpful answer.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 6: So, if you abstract the justified you got a philosophy lecture is there. Basically what intelligent things do is go You can't have meant that, you must have meant this right chat GPTs goes. I will take a question as read and of course it doesn't have an eye. There is nothing in the rest like I've just answered formal pite it again. But it's the same thing, and it's trained to do contractively specific things, and you get the same problem with any program like garbage in Garbage album.
Speaker 2: So have you found a lot of students using chat GPT, because this is a hard problem to quantify? Is it all the time?
Speaker 5: I mean it's it's a lot. I wouldn't say it all the time.
Speaker 4: I'm changed that you thought that there were more season DEDs this semester.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I think there are quite a few, and sometimes it is difficult for us to prove and if we can't prove it.
Speaker 4: Then at our university, then well shucks. They kind of get away with it.
Speaker 3: We can interview them, but unless we're like, unless we have the proof that you could take before like a court, then we are we're not able to really nail them for it.
Speaker 4: Which is a bit of a shame.
Speaker 2: So's suspicion.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we suspect that a lot of them are very I'm one hundred percent on some of them.
Speaker 2: I just know, what are the clues I want to hear from all of you on this one, Like, what are the side.
Speaker 6: It's the uncanny value like, I will not shut up about this, right as you know, the like you of course will imagine a lot of here kind of readerbole be as well. But the uncanny Valley thing in respective humans is that there's a kind of a point up to which humans seem to trust artificial things more the more they look like a human. So like, we'll trust a robot if it's kind of bipedal or if it looks like a dog, But after a point, we really rapidly start to trust me, So like if it basically when it starts looking like data, some deep buried lizard brain goes danger.
Speaker 5: Danger. This thing's trying to fuck with you somehow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, And chat gpt.
Speaker 5: Writes exactly like that.
Speaker 6: It writes almost but not entirely, like a thing that is trying to convince you that it's human. I mean, the dead give way for me is that it never makes any spelling mistakes, but it can't form out a paragraph to save its life. Normally, you would expect someone who didn't know how to kind of order their sentences to misspell the occasional word. Chat GPT spells everything correctly and doesn't know what like subject object agreement is it's.
Speaker 2: Like it's so, can you just define that please? Subject object the beer that I drink, right, not the drink that I beer right. Because it's interesting. It almost feels like there is just an entire way of processing and delivering information as a human being that we do not understand. There is something missing.
Speaker 1: I mean, for me, like it's very good, it's summarizing, but when it responds, it responds in them in really trite and repetitive ways, or like you'll get a paper that summarizes a bunch of literature at length very effectively, and then respond by saying, well, you know, this person said this, that is doubtful. They should say more to support that, you know, which is basically saying nothing right, And that's pretty common.
Speaker 4: It also does lists in formats things and kind of like a list.
Speaker 1: And even if this like make it look less like a list, the paper still reads like a list.
Speaker 2: Oh, because someone has asked, give me a few thoughts on X. Yeah, yeah, that's very depressing.
Speaker 3: Things like the introductions you get you'll get this is an interesting and complex question that the postomers have asked you the ages and this is one of the things we shout at students not to write from first year, and then you'll get this garbage right back at you, and then at the end it will be oh, overall, this is a complicated and difficult question, but.
Speaker 2: Many nuances world of contrasts.
Speaker 3: One of the things we tell them, don't ever fucking do this. This is terrible and right back at you in perfect english, that sort of english you'd expect a really good student might have written. But clearly they can't be a good student because otherwise they've listened to a fucking instruction.
Speaker 1: I also, I had some papers that I suspected were chatcheapt this year, but they were already failing, so I didn't Okay, yeah, I didn't think it was worth it to pursue them, you know, as a plagiarism or Chatcheapte case.
Speaker 2: So it's never good papers. Then it's never like an eight like a first.
Speaker 5: No, absolutely not.
Speaker 1: It's so I think that part of what goes on is you can get a passing grade with the Chatcheapte paper, sometimes in the first couple of years when the papers are shorter and we're not expecting as much. But then when you move into the what we call honors level here, which is like upper level classes in the US like third and fourth year.
Speaker 2: I've got first ever wrist with I know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, exactly, great, well done, well Doe. You would not have gotten it with chatchipt because you get dropped in these classes where we expect you to have gained writing skills minimal ones in your first two years and then we're going to build on that and have you do more complicated stuff. And Chatchept doesn't build on that, right, it just stays where it was. So you go from writing kind of C grade passing papers, yeah, that your F grade paper. And it's also more obvious because the papers are longer, and chat gipt can write long text, but it gets very repetitive and noticeably repetitive, right, and so you're kind of lost, like you haven't done the work of figuring out how to write on your own and the tool that you've been using is not up to the task that you're now presented with. And so I think I have seen a few papers that I was suspicious of, but the papers that I was certain of were ones that were like senior thesis, very clear a person just had no way of writing culture.
Speaker 2: That's insane at that stage.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean it's fun because I mean one of the things that we get told about is like, oh, the students have got to learn how to use you know, AI and large language model, plagiarism machines and responsibly and in a kind of positive way. Well, if they're using them in a way that means they don't learn how to write, then it's not positive. Visit like, yeah, it's fucking hard to write a good ess. Say, yes, it is hard to write. That's why we practice, That's why we have editors, that's why we do this collaboratively. And if you're using this as a sort of oh I don't know how to write, well, tough shit, you're never going to know how to write that. That doesn't seem a positive use of any of this.
Speaker 2: Well that's the thing. Writing is also reading the consumption of information and then bouncing the ideas of your brain allegedly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I worry about like because CHATCHYBT is good at summarizing, So I worry that one of the uses people will think, ah, this is a pretty good use for it is summarizing the paper that they're supposed to read, and it will do that effectively enough.
Speaker 4: For them to discuss it in class if they're willing to be here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, but they're not going to pick up a lot of the nuances in a lot of the kind of like stylistic ways of presenting ideas that you get when you actually do the reading.
Speaker 2: And it's it's so frustrating as well, because like for this, for example, I've just got the printing off things that don't read PDFs anymore because I feel like you do need to focus.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there's some evidence that reading physical copies makes you engage more.
Speaker 5: Sorry I'm very old fashioned, I guess.
Speaker 2: But no, it's true though, But also reading that I wouldn't have really on a PDF. I wouldn't have given it as much attention. But also, going through this paper, you could see what you were doing, like you could see that you were lining up here are the qualities that we use to judge bullshit. But also summarizing a paper does not actually give you the argument, it gives you an answer. So what do you actually want students to do instead? Because I don't think there's any reason to use chat GPT for these reasons like that it doesn't seem to do anything that's useful for them.
Speaker 1: I don't have No, I don't actually have any use for chat shapt that I can put to my students and say here's what I think you should do with it. We are like kind of developing strategies for keeping them from using it, So like building directly on what you're saying. Like, in my class next year, I'm going to have the students do regular assignments, which are argument summaries and not paper summaries. So the idea is they have to read the paper, find an argument, and tell me what are the premises, what's the conclusion. And that's something that chatchipt is not good at, right, But it's also something that will give them critical.
Speaker 4: Reading skills, which is what I want to do, right.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I think that I've mostly been thinking about ways to keep them from relying on it, because I think that often if they rely on it, they'll they'll they'll put.
Speaker 4: Themselves it's the worst position.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when it comes to future work, they won't develop the skills that they're going to need and the skills that we tell them and their parents they're gonna get with their college degree.
Speaker 2: Right, it almost feels like we need more deliberacy in university education because I was not taught to write. I just did a lot of it until I got good enough grades and Daniel Chohnd look great mental. But I've had tons of them, and it almost feels like we need classes where it's like, Okay, no computer for this one. I'm going to print this paper out and you're going to underline the things that are important and talk to me about almost feels like we need to rebuild this because yes, we shouldn't be using chet GPT to half us our essays. But at the same time, human beings are lazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean for me, I also prefer to read off the computer, but I often read PDFs because I'm terrible at keeping files right physical Like, you know, I'm not going to keep a giant filed with all the papers that I've read and written my liner notes in. You guys can see in my office they're just piled around, like you can't.
Speaker 2: See this in that's academia.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I just.
Speaker 1: Have piles of paper with empty coffee bugs everywhere that the camera is not facing.
Speaker 4: But it's the terrible system.
Speaker 1: So at least on my computer, if I'm like, oh, I read that paper like a year ago, what did I think I can click on it and see my own notes, and I do think that there's something to keeping those records and kind of actively.
Speaker 4: Reading in that way. I don't know how I ended this without telling you how to make students do that.
Speaker 6: Well, you started with the correct answer, which is don't use chat GPT. Yeah, yeah, I actually I've got a certain amount of sympathy with like, just keep writing till you get good at it. But I realized as a lecturer that can't be my official possession. And I certainly think that it's the case that certainly Glasgow has got better over the last few years about going, Oh, actually you do like, we do need to give you some kind of structuring and some buttressing on his is how to write academically.
Speaker 5: Here's how to get do research.
Speaker 6: And I think that's all to the It's worth saying this started happening well before chat GPT started pissing all over our doorsteps, so they don't get to claim that as being a benefit.
Speaker 2: There was a whole Wikipedia panic when I was in school.
Speaker 5: Yeah, think about Wikipedia the right. It's like I used to say this to my students.
Speaker 2: Wikichili one of the best resources.
Speaker 6: Absolutely fine as a starting point for research absolutely whatsoever. But if you're turning in and on his level, essay, I want you to go and read the fucking things it's referencing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think these things are often great as sources. I'm worry about chat GPT is that it's not great as a source.
Speaker 2: It's just yeah, we've been.
Speaker 1: Saying it often gets things wrong, and it often it'll make up sources, whereas Wikipedia.
Speaker 4: Will never do that.
Speaker 6: There are some famous hoaxes, but they get cool. Yeah, Joe, have you got any positive things to say about chat GIPT.
Speaker 4: Fan?
Speaker 3: So I know some people who have used these kinds of things productively, not in ways that our students would, but I know some mathematicians who have been using it to do sort of informal proofs and things like that. And it does still bullshit, and it bullshits very convincingly, which makes it very difficult to use for this kind of purpose. But it can do some interesting and cool things. Yeah, I think some people in that sort of field have found useful. And also we've mentioned this before, like if you want chat to be teach to write you a bibliography, you've got a bibliography in one style tell it to put something into a different one. Then it's and it's good for like coding process doing certain things.
Speaker 1: I also think I don't know, I'm not sure how I feel about what I'm about to say, but perfect, Yeah.
Speaker 4: I'm going for it.
Speaker 1: It is a somewhat positive thing maybe for a chat ept, which is that we often have students who have like really interesting ideas and well thought out arguments, but for whom English isn't their first language, and the actual writing is kind of rough and you have to like push through reading it to get the good idea, which is often.
Speaker 4: Really there and quite you know, creative and insightful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And so I do wonder if there's a way to use it so it just smooths off the edges of this kind of thing. But I worry that if you tell students to do that, they'll just first it if they can develop the language skills they offered it really good by the yea, yeah.
Speaker 4: What are you going to say to you?
Speaker 6: Well, so I want to say, it's yeah, you can see me getting agitated. Yeah, I think much correct about it like that this is a kind of possible use. But I think this and this is why I'm getting visibly agitated here. That's students either need to or feel they need to use.
Speaker 5: This speaks to a deeper.
Speaker 6: Issue, right to a social issue, to political issue, to an issue about how universities work. If a student is having problems with English, then there's a number of like explanations or a number of kind of responses. Right that one response is that, like Glasgow is in English teaching university, if someone's English isn't good enough to be taking a degree, then plausibly they shouldn't have been let in, and why have they been learned well?
Speaker 4: Because of money?
Speaker 6: Or alternatively, if someone's having problems with English for like whatever reason at all, that should be supported. There should be kind of tutors. There should be people who can help with English. But again that would cost university money. So of course that doesn't happen, right, It doesn't happen anywhere that it doesn't in the extent it would have to happen in order for this to be a general policy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it could be better, But I do think that universities often have like a writing center or a tutoring center that you can.
Speaker 5: Send, but they don't.
Speaker 6: They don't have the sort of spread that would be needed or the staff that would be needed for this to be instead of using chat GVD to sound the edges off.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think for example twenty two with your supervisor. My worry especially would be that this is my first year here.
Speaker 1: At Glasgow, but I have a good Yeah, I think they probably have a good writing center universities have been in the past. I felt very confident sending students to the writing center when they have these problems. But I think James is completely right that we don't want the universities to see this as a way to get rid of the writing center. And that's one hundred percent a risk given the financial problems that.
Speaker 4: Universities are facing, and maybe they're already not ye like, given the quality of papers, they're often good.
Speaker 1: I think another thing, as far as this is like a social problem, is that when grading, I myself tried to grade in terms of like the ideas and argument this is philosophy.
Speaker 4: And not the quality of being right. But not everybody does that.
Speaker 1: So I kind of think that another part of this is figuring out how we want to evaluate the students and what we want to privilege in that evaluation.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Sure, so then again the kind of that that becomes a problem about what people are checking for. Not Let's take this arch backwards approach to marking, which is like, how fancy is your English?
Speaker 5: Are fancy? English? Is good English? Have an A? But rather we should be kind of checking for everythings.
Speaker 6: Right, So again the blame blies differently in that case, but it still becomes a question.
Speaker 5: It's not solved technological.
Speaker 2: Yeah, almost feels like large language models are taking advantage of a certain kind of organizational failure.
Speaker 4: What an idea?
Speaker 2: Crazy that the tech industry manipulating parts of society.
Speaker 1: I have a kind of related tangent here, which is like, what are the use cases that open ai was expecting but didn't want to emphasize, Because for everybody in universities, as soon as this came out, the first thought was students are going to use this to cheat And certainly like the people in open AI went to college, right, and that's what I hear about.
Speaker 2: Them, so they must well, sam Oman drop down, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm sure he really understands the value of a secondary He's.
Speaker 2: Like, I'm gonna write at least fucking essays.
Speaker 1: Anyway, maybe he was thinking I would have loved to have a computer write my essays, I'll devote my life. But I mean, I'm sure that they like recognize these bad use cases, right, but they're doing nothing to mitigate them as far as I can see. And like, another one that's very related is like, you know, I'm sure you've heard of this ED phishing, right, A lot of you know, corporations get attacked and get hacked not by someone cleverly figuring out a backdoor to their system, but by somebody sending in social engineering, yeah, asking for the password to somebody else.
Speaker 4: And one of the biggest.
Speaker 1: Barriers to that is that a lot of the people who are engaging in fishing aren't from the same country as the company they're targeting, right, so they're not able to write a convincing email or make a phone call that sounds like that person's supervisor.
Speaker 4: But with a tool like this, you could one hundred percent write that email. Right.
Speaker 1: It's going to make it a lot easier for these kinds of illicit schemes to work.
Speaker 2: That has been a market increase CNBC, which is just brought up, is that on two hundred and sixty five percent increase in malicious fishing emails since the launch of chat JPTA, great style. I mean, if I could have thought of that, imagine what a criminal could do.
Speaker 4: Right, But also, weren't the people that open a eye thinking about.
Speaker 2: That because like they don't care.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, we've all seen Durassic Park, right, Yeah, Yeah, they were so visically thinking about what they could do, they never thought about whether they should.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: This is the kind of problem with the move fast and break things mentality, like obvious. I mean, I think it might be the only person who has raised in the US, but we had future.
Speaker 4: Problems solvers, where you you know, you think.
Speaker 1: About a future problem and what bad consequences there could be of some technology and how to solve them, usually through social cues.
Speaker 4: If I could do that in fifth grade, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I would expect these people to have thought through some of the bad consequences of the technology they're putting out. And you know, some of those are cheating on tests and they don't seem to have worried about that. Yeah, And another one is fishing. They don't seem to have worried about that.
Speaker 6: You know, biases and algorithms, right, so yeah, yeah, comes, and I suppose to you it turns out, so with a lot of the facial recognition systems, they were incredibly racist.
Speaker 2: They were going back to Microsoft's connect could not see.
Speaker 6: Bad Yeah yeah, and kind of CCTV stuff that basically just sort of unless it was presented with a blindingly white Caucasian.
Speaker 5: Where I don't know, right, but like.
Speaker 6: The sort of stuff where these like langage knowledge are trained on certain sets of data, and they trained on certain assumptions and like shifting shit out right, and particularly if people think that it's actually doing any kind of thinking, and if they kind of cargo cult it, we again get a kind of social problem multiplied by technology feeding back into a social problem, right.
Speaker 5: And it's the so these guys have heard me when you're about it so much, I love it or so, but.
Speaker 6: I'm profoundly skeptical of technology's ability to solve anything unless we know exactly the respect in which we want to solve it and how that technology is going to be applied. You know, like sure, experiment with bringing back dinosaurs, but but like, don't tell me that it's going to save the healthcare system unless you can demonstrated to be step by step how that big OLDI rect run around on Eiland new Blayer is going to save anything, and they just tried to blind people.
Speaker 4: Actually bringing back dinosaurs with good that would be great.
Speaker 6: All right, this isn't the best example, but I already had. I had Jeff Gobwum in my head and I had to go.
Speaker 2: To the drastic fellas. This has been such a pleasure. Don't put that in the recording. That's right, we won't edit it in post. You will give us your names.
Speaker 4: I'm Mike Hicks, but my papers are written by Michael.
Speaker 1: Townsend Hicks and I'm a lecturer at the University of Glasgow.
Speaker 4: My website is Hicks.
Speaker 2: It will be in the podcast part. Don't you worry.
Speaker 4: We'll get that right.
Speaker 5: Just plugging my luggy staff.
Speaker 4: My name is Joe Slater.
Speaker 3: I'm a university lecturer in moral and political philosophy at LASKOW.
Speaker 6: I'm James Joffrees. I'm a lecturer in political theory at the University of Glasgow. And even if I wanted to or couldn't give you more websites, I don't have.
Speaker 2: Everyone you've been listening to Better Offline. Thank you so much for listening everyone, guys, thank you for joining me.
Speaker 5: Thanks having me here.
Speaker 6: This is.
Speaker 2: Thank you for listening to Better Offline. The editor and composer of the Better Offline theme song is Matasowski. You can check out more of his music and audio projects at Mattasowski dot com, M A T T O S O W s ki dot com. You can email me at easy at Better offline dot com or visit Better Offline dot com to find more podcast links and of course, my newsletter. I also really recommend you go to chat dot Where's youreed dot at to visit the discord, and go to our slash Better Offline to check out our reddit. Thank you so much for listening.
Speaker 7: Better Offline is a production of cool Zone Media. For more from cool Zone Media, visit our website cool Zonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcast, or wherever you get your podcasts.