Speaker 1: Quest Love Supreme is a production of iHeartRadio. Here we Go.
Speaker 2: Supreme Supreme, Roll Came Suprema Suprema, Roll Call, Suprema Supremo, Roll Call Supremo Supreme.
Speaker 1: You don't need to be polite. Yeah, this is my night. Yeah, it's the Zoe and Steve.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Supreme Supreme, Roll Call Suprema Supreme, Roll Call.
Speaker 4: My name is Sugar, Yeah, Get out of my dreams. Yeah, get into my car, Get the funk out of my car.
Speaker 2: Supreme Supreme Supreme.
Speaker 5: It's my e up. Yeah, and my girl Nike.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Oh, y'all know her is Zoe, but dope was my movie.
Speaker 1: O Call Supremo Supremo.
Speaker 2: Roll Call, Supremo Supreme.
Speaker 7: Roll It's me Boss Bill Yeah, and an elevator fighter Yeah. Not Beyonce sister, Yeah, Lisa and Lenny's daughter, Roll prem Wow Decent Supremo.
Speaker 8: Roll Call.
Speaker 5: My name is Zoe.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm here to hang Yeah and talk to Steve about what the is your problem with?
Speaker 1: Supreme Supremo. Roll Come Suprema Roll Supremo Supreme. Y'all in one corner, all right, night, ladies, and let me let me not coach, let me not up sick Carlyne Donovan and she's doing me a solve it right now. Uh, guys, this is uh this still might be quest Love Supreme Alight at iHeartRadio. How are you? Uh? Should we have.
Speaker 5: Another title like for today's episode?
Speaker 1: No, I'm just saying unpaid Bill and Fante are never coming back from cigarettes. Okay they will, Okay, I leave the light one for them at the door. All right, we got unpaid bills responsor by chantics. Wow, you're great. We have a boss Bill in the house. Hello, how are you is here? We have Sugar Steve?
Speaker 4: Hey, everybody? What's going on?
Speaker 7: Is that?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 1: See Zoe and Steve go back so far that she doesn't even know his new title Sugar Steve.
Speaker 6: I was about to question that.
Speaker 1: We'll explain to you later. All right, so this is gonna be a really weird episode.
Speaker 5: Celebrity now so you know, okay, yeah.
Speaker 1: You yeah, follow up, we're gonna have to explain the Sugar network.
Speaker 4: You might know me from the credits of Vincent Roxy.
Speaker 1: Yes, oh ship, I forgot.
Speaker 4: The movie.
Speaker 1: Wait. I think I actually think we might have inadvertently named Steve because of the amount of times that uh.
Speaker 7: Bring that ship to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, cut, he's a character in sugar Shack. In sugar Shack, that's what it really ship have been called. In Vincent Roxy. I'm a bad host, ladies and gentlemen, my very my pal. Uh. Zoe Kravitz is here.
Speaker 5: Episodes in here.
Speaker 1: That's the thing I didn't. I purposely didn't do the Oh you want me to do the donks? All right, he's gonna be hard.
Speaker 9: In this game.
Speaker 8: She got like five brands right now, all right, you do it, Freestylle Kravitz. Of course we know her from birth, she has she has development, a beautiful actress model representing from.
Speaker 9: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I didn't write it like you did.
Speaker 1: Listen, listen, I'm telling you. Normally, when I do this show, it's it's an extravagant introduction. I actually for me, I know, it's just I feel weird. Man. It's like all our guests, like, I know you the best.
Speaker 5: It was amazing.
Speaker 6: I'm sure, I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: Let me introduce her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, seriously, Zoe. Yeah, it's damn. This is worse than receiving compliments.
Speaker 6: It's like receiving nothing at all.
Speaker 1: We're never going to get that. Can I just say you're on the show. Please at this point. Wait, yeah, we might as well look just google her, ladies.
Speaker 10: Wow, dope, dope, No, seriously, I'm gonna I'm gonna tell you something like, all right you for those of you that's seen Moonstruck, uh, the nineteen eighty eight classic would Share and Nicholas Cage.
Speaker 1: And it's in its iconic, infamous slap snap out of it, seam. I don't know in trouble once, but we won't get into that. You got in trouble for smacking someone saying slap? Who would you smack?
Speaker 7: That's not important?
Speaker 1: Was it?
Speaker 7: It's not important. Let's just keep it moving, Keep it moving, keep it moving.
Speaker 1: Yea, this is not my okay, all right, we're going to investigate this further down the line. I'll My first interaction with Zoe was at the the Grammys in two thousand, twenty years ago. We've known each other for twenty years now. It's crazy. So that makes you, well, what I could have met her when she was seven or eight? Oh, you do want to know where this is going. I'm shocked that you didn't. First of all, No, listen, I know it didn't go there.
Speaker 5: I didn't know I know it didn't go there, but I just I.
Speaker 1: Didn't even say like that. Listen, this is all I'm saying. Sorry, we're sitting We have three nominations. Yeah, I was about to say, I can't even put up to the theme song.
Speaker 5: You had three Grammy nominations, sir, right, we have.
Speaker 1: Three Grammy Now I really got to play it anyway. So we have three nominations and we had already lost two in the pre telegas to Minem so it was like fairly clear that Eminem is just going to sweep the night away, and so not wanting to be further disappointed. Now I'm sitting, I'm sitting behind I'm sitting in front of all the E Street Springsteen wives. Uh, and then in front of me.
Speaker 7: Is oh, this was the night of j.
Speaker 6: Loo's dress, right, yeah, the night of the Grammys, also known.
Speaker 1: As night well it was. It was that year, right, So it's it's it's Lenny Zoe are sitting guessing that you were eleven or twelve or or ten or eleven chevy Chase the Grammy. At that age, that was my dream, right, chevy Chase was there, and I forget who else was in front of me, and when they started and when movie and them started reading the nominations, I was saying in the background, we're not gonna win. We're not gonna win. We're not gonna win.
Speaker 7: We're not gonna win.
Speaker 1: We're not gonna win. We're not gonna win.
Speaker 7: We're not gonna win.
Speaker 1: And Chevy Chase looks back at me, it's like, nice confidence, guy, We're not gonna win. We're not gonna win. Not we're not gonna win. We're not gonna win. We're not gonna win. We're not gonna win. We're not gonna win. And Zoe, I believe you know what your first words to me was, oh, no, First of all, who's allowed to curse at the age of ten?
Speaker 6: Would I curse you?
Speaker 1: You said, shut the fuck up?
Speaker 9: I did it. It was like no, no, no, no, no.
Speaker 1: It wasn't like it was no, no, it wasn't. It wasn't a annoyed shut the but it's more.
Speaker 6: Like, no, I don't think I said. My dad would have been very I don't think that's what I said. I really I have to say, I don't think that's true.
Speaker 1: Wait, car like she was cursing into anyway. No, no, no, no, I'll correct it, but it was definitely.
Speaker 6: My grandmother would be like so disappointed. I don't think that happened.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we went we went to church that night. No, my whole my whole point was that you shot me a look, but you said something in terms of like stop saying that, like it was like a therapist or the share. Right, That's what it was. And what was weird was that I didn't even hear announce even you're uh uh uh uh moby say and the winner is the roots because I was.
Speaker 5: Giving you such crazy right exactly.
Speaker 7: She's trouble.
Speaker 1: I told you no, but I knew I was like this ghost, this little ten year olds trying to.
Speaker 4: That.
Speaker 1: That was my my my first memory of Zoe.
Speaker 5: And then I saw you, like, you know, the first memory of him Zoe.
Speaker 6: I don't he's told me this before. He never mentioned the thing, which I really don't think he's just making that up.
Speaker 1: No, I was not making enough for arm.
Speaker 6: No, but seriously, my dad would smack me like that wouldn't have flown because when.
Speaker 5: Were you cussing in front of your daddy at age?
Speaker 6: I mean I feel like, yeah, maybe sixteen, But even then he'd be like, Zoe, you know, I wasn't. I was not raised in that kind of a house.
Speaker 1: So I think she she's the first what I would call the first black timeout child whooping Zoe.
Speaker 8: Well, I didn't want to go there because we talked about that with with Lenny though. Remember he said he was a whooping bab me.
Speaker 1: Well in his situation, I don't know, but I'm just saying that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, no, I was never hit, but there was some serious manners.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 6: He was raised with respect until you know, taught me that.
Speaker 1: Which to this day I still and I'm without kids, but all my pandmates that are going through teenage hell right now, they literally say, hey, can you ask Zoe like how did she handle this situation? Like twice twice I've had a situation where like a roots kid might have done something unsavory and it was sort of like how did that handle it? And now I would have to call Zoe to figure out.
Speaker 6: Like, how would you say, I forget the.
Speaker 1: Obviously smoking smoking is one of you talking about weed.
Speaker 7: I've heard this story before.
Speaker 5: Wait, what story? What about what I said?
Speaker 7: Know about what what what your mom said?
Speaker 6: Oh about smoking weed?
Speaker 7: We're gonna wait, what does she say? Was it she just handed you a joint and said, don't lie about it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, she said she knew I was smoking weed. And then she handed handed me and joy and just said it was Christmas day.
Speaker 7: Wow, Merry fucking Christmas.
Speaker 6: Yeah, right, but she knew I was doing it. And I think I think what I said to you was I think the important thing is to teach kids from a young age to do to how to how to smoke weed responsibly, because the problem is, I think when you tell someone they can't do something, then they you know, they turn eighteen or go to college or whatever, and they go crazy. So if you teach them how to smoke weed responsibly, I feel like it gives people a shot at being good. Yeah, good at good at smoke.
Speaker 5: Because functioning it took you, it didn't take you as long to realize.
Speaker 8: I don't I can't go to class and do it before school, but it sure is great after ex rightly.
Speaker 5: Yeah, sorry, I was sorry, high school whatever.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Sorry, No, No, it's good to know. I wish I had experience when I was a kid. I'm making them for now.
Speaker 6: Yeaes the mirrors in the club now you smoke weed now I do other things. I remember just giving you a coffee one time that could not handle it. Proud of him, like a regular coffee.
Speaker 8: Conversations when he went through the front stage and stuff drink. Yeah, but that's like when that's your your tears of h Yeah.
Speaker 1: She makes fun of the fact that I'll get shipp drunk like.
Speaker 5: Bitch as Oh, I know, thank you, okay, but thank you for that a firm No.
Speaker 1: Occasionally do really very spiritual for you.
Speaker 6: I'm very happy to hear that you're doing that.
Speaker 1: It's very spiritual.
Speaker 5: Is that interesting that your friends, everybody who knows you reacts in this way when I hear this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like, dude, I'm really not the fifty year old virgin like I do ship. I like pigs feet, I like.
Speaker 7: I remember when you didn't drink, or when you rarely drink.
Speaker 6: Mostly you could pretend to drink.
Speaker 1: Time out. Me not drinking had more or less to do with the fact that. But if it's between ninety three and two thousand and nine, chances are.
Speaker 4: I was drumming that night.
Speaker 6: Also, it's totally okay not to drink.
Speaker 1: I never had a moral stance against it, but I'm just not like Tarik do like four shots of patron at some given point. It's weird now because I don't think it's doesn't drink or smoke now, I think.
Speaker 5: Like he goes through stages, he'll do it for.
Speaker 1: Rarely smokes now like it's I think he just got bored of it.
Speaker 7: It was just like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, like yeah, so I just think, you know, it's more about me being a clear mind and working and that sort of thing. But you know it's well, okay, so.
Speaker 4: I say you were in fat rails, that's its night's show up.
Speaker 1: What's fat rails?
Speaker 4: Like real thick lines of coke?
Speaker 1: Did I just really put the guy?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 7: When you really work at NBC or all the stories is false that we hear about NBC.
Speaker 1: Dude, man. One of my main disappointments in at NBC is that the folklore, like I've that oral history of s n L or whatever, like I've yet to see anything solacious, or the nineties are over, the seventies, seventies are over, like everyone's all healthy, and I'm just saying, I mean that was Eric Chris Farley, Yeah exactly. Wait Zoe, all right, so there there are questions. I want to ask about your childhood. But here's to me, the most amazing thing about your life was and I have to play this uh in the way that I think that you heard it. So this to me, Oh god, don't you love the filter that?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So to me, I'm mad as fuck. I'm mad as fuck that you got to hear the entire Public Enemy album being mastered in your mother's womb. This is so dull. So the story goes that when Lenny was was finalizing let Love role is she being born right now? You came out the womb in December, which means that when the album was mastered in uh April or March, you were just newly.
Speaker 5: A person formed born.
Speaker 1: I didn't want to be like Spur.
Speaker 7: But just.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, no, oh my god, becoming a disaster already. Carlene, Please don't drop me as a client.
Speaker 7: Please.
Speaker 5: That's say hypidelity a lot hyphidelity.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah. Anyway, my point being that when Public My was sequencing and mastering their record, Lenny and uh Lisa uh were there. They were they were the first humans to hear it, and so they mentioned that during Black Still in the Hour Chaos that she felt Zoe dancing inside of her belly, and I was seething rage with jealousy that she got to hear a record before you did, even if it was selbcnsciousness.
Speaker 7: Here's a question though the relates to that. Do you have any personal connection to that record, like through through your own No, this is no, not really.
Speaker 6: I don't think I even really knew the story until right now.
Speaker 8: It was a lot of dramatic things that happened within like the birth of Zoe. I feel like like, even if you say that from that I was thinking about it. I was like, dang, even when your mom was pregnant with you, that was dramatic because I remember watching the Cosmians and the Heiner and then the whole different world thing and everything had to change, Like it's like so much drama.
Speaker 1: I totally forgot that.
Speaker 7: And all the rumors after she was born about you know, the house was supposedly a mess my mom of what I just heard, like there was all stuff that you lived in a hippie commune.
Speaker 1: Just heard like the house was just.
Speaker 7: A disgusting and mess and was just dirt everywhere, and was like, because it's.
Speaker 6: So we talk about how she didn't want me to be vaccinated, and that was like a huge deal. And also the fact that we were vegetarians was a huge, huge deal.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, to us, I think you were definitely the first family of black bohemianism, at least us growing up, like, oh, there's another option. Because Prince was the only alternative black person I think that we knew, we've known, and you know, because he sort of define the early eighties at least with the salacious sexual thing, like it was less of whatever we think of hippie culture, which I don't even think you guys were hippies. You just dressed hip.
Speaker 5: No, there was a hippie.
Speaker 6: I mean, what is hippie? I guess the question becomes what is So?
Speaker 1: What are your earliest childhood memories of growing up?
Speaker 6: I mean we you know, we lived in Venice Beach, We lived into Panga Canyon. I didn't there was no television. We were, you know, eating organic foods, and you know it was you.
Speaker 1: Never had a craving for like lucky charms or peanut.
Speaker 6: Butter cafing when I would see commercials for that stuff. When I got my mother's house, I wasn't allowed to eat it, but I would like dream about it, like I had this whole thing with pizza because I wasn't allowed to eat cheese, and I would watch kids at birthday parties like this, like the string of cheese, and I was like, I wanted it so bad because my mom would take the cheese off my pizza. It was heartbreaking.
Speaker 1: Are you still currently a vegan?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 1: All right, so as a child you started vegan?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean I now I'm kind of going back towards veganism. I think it's you know, learning more about why it's important for the environment and all that. But I had a little phase where I was sucking up some cheeseburgers for sure.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, okay.
Speaker 5: How long as a child were you until I was.
Speaker 1: Maybe nine or something, So what do you consider Wait, technically, were you born in New York.
Speaker 6: Or I was born in Los I was born in Vennics Beach, which was also a big deal at the time of home birth.
Speaker 1: Really oh, I was about to say, what was that like? But it's not like you would remember.
Speaker 6: There was this bright light to do the water and everything that was no that was in the that was in I think in a bed. Yeah, I think it was before the war.
Speaker 5: That was the thing I think.
Speaker 4: Yeah, was there a public enemy record playing with that.
Speaker 6: Prince was performing? He was there perform.
Speaker 5: I'll make jokes, but I'm sure that the music going on, Oh.
Speaker 6: For sure, Yeah, incense and there was probably mad but good and still no Champa maybe no. I love Knock Champa Classic.
Speaker 1: What's your first memory, at least like a fuzzy memory of your childhood?
Speaker 5: First memory?
Speaker 6: I remember I spent a lot of time at my grandmother's house, both my grandmother's but my specifically my father's mother Roxy.
Speaker 1: We should mention Roxy Broker of Jefferson grandmama and she.
Speaker 6: I just spent a lot of a lot of time at both my grandmother's house.
Speaker 1: Speaking of which, did do you know the Apollonia story?
Speaker 6: This is gonna be a whole night of me hearing story.
Speaker 4: You know more about ask her?
Speaker 5: Does she? Did you get any broke from from Grandmam Roxy?
Speaker 6: I have one of her channel suits. That's that's it.
Speaker 5: I'm sure.
Speaker 6: My dad, my dad, you know, he keeps a lot of stuff.
Speaker 5: He said you had to see somebody's not But I know what you're in game?
Speaker 1: Do you want to have Roxy rokers?
Speaker 9: You know what I do think.
Speaker 8: I know, I do think that they should be on showcase at the Blacksnian. I do think that Rocky Roker's roardrobe because she used to step in that Jefference's apartment.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, Timothy, you gotta make this happen. So the story was that when when your grandmother was shooting the four episode arc of the Jeffersons go to Hawaii, obviously she brought up Polo with her and took like lots of candy photos everywhere. My guess is that maybe she left the camera and all the film that she took in Hawaii. So cut to Apollonia. What's the term when you go to thrift stores a lot you but yeah, thrifting, but I think there's another term for it. But anyway, cut to Apollonia inside of a thrift store and saw a photo book there and it was all pictures of it was your grandmother's photo book. And so I know that I connected her and Lenny together. So I figured I would hope that at least in the last two years that it.
Speaker 4: Got to him.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna ask him. That's so that's really cool.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I found where I know your Grandmom's I love you watching me.
Speaker 4: It's so creepy, man, But that's the thing.
Speaker 1: You guys saw me drowning, and you were just like.
Speaker 7: Me and Steve, you just enjoying the show.
Speaker 6: Yes, Steve, you're you're awfully quiet over there.
Speaker 4: Oh no, I don't interrupt, waiting for his Ste's waiting for his chance.
Speaker 7: I'll be your friend.
Speaker 3: Let's just so.
Speaker 1: And my second favorite, my favorite, second favorite story is we were at Governor's Island Governor's uh, where radio Head was playing. Where's where's the festival where you have to go to the Governor's ball? Governor's Ball, that's what it's called. No, is that what it's called when you have to go to Statue of Liberty? Yeah?
Speaker 5: All right on a little boat?
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, So whatever this situation was the roots. I know that Radiohead was also playing at Governor's Ball, And so we're driving back to the city. Steve's driving the car. I'm in the passenger seat, and you were in the back seat, and you guys were.
Speaker 4: She had a friend friend with her.
Speaker 1: Oh, somebody was in the car with you and you two were bickering as.
Speaker 6: You are, was it my boyfriend? Like we were fighting.
Speaker 4: It was another girl.
Speaker 1: No, it was another but all I remember was, oh we means yes, oh yeah, ladies and gentlemen. The level, the level of silence here. You cut at tension with the ninth nine because like, literally.
Speaker 4: I'm having flashbacks. I'm getting.
Speaker 5: I don't understand what was.
Speaker 1: You know, these two were just like first graders, Bart and Lisa. It's basically out, quit it, quit it, quit it.
Speaker 5: They don't hate each other, but they just get on each other's button pushing. Okay, Steve is fun to push buttons.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he gets so he gets.
Speaker 4: Is that what's going on? People are just having fun.
Speaker 6: I thought the whole goal was to not push people pretend to be so grumpy and I would.
Speaker 7: I don't think he's pretending.
Speaker 9: I would know.
Speaker 1: Zoe would call Steve.
Speaker 6: Out he's pretending. I would call him sunshine. I'm like, I know there's a ray of sunshine in there somewhere, you.
Speaker 1: Know, you know, you know, the thing like I'll reject you before you reject me first. Yeah, that's basically Steve's like Oscar the grouch, you know, like what Kamal wants to be. He's a soccer pop anyway. Yeah, so the point is that the height of this bickering. All I know is that the car had to be moving at least what fifteen twenty miles an hour.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we were coming up sixth Avenue.
Speaker 1: Right right to Electric Lady. Yeah, and then you saw your godmother, Mursy Toimey. But you got out in the car.
Speaker 6: Coincidentally, you got out.
Speaker 1: You were so disgusted that you jumped out the car amid motions.
Speaker 6: I got out of the moving car to get away from Steve.
Speaker 1: That's hints. Now, get the fuck out of my car. No, well, oh that's another there's another.
Speaker 4: No, this is the same incident. But yeah, we were driving up sixth Avenue. You saw Marissa tome and you started going nuts. That's I know her, that's Marissa Tomey.
Speaker 5: I got to get out here, and we were my godmother.
Speaker 6: By the way, I'm not like I know Marissa to let the card.
Speaker 4: Went for autograph A different world, Yes, and uh yeah, you opened the door where the car was still moving and I that's when I lost it. I was like, just you know, wait till we pull over in the middle of freaking sixth Avenue.
Speaker 6: By the way, I'm like, what twenty years old nineteen years.
Speaker 4: Old, like probably younger, yeah, like my behavior sixteen years Yeah, she was the first creator. I was the adult driving. Yeah, oh you worried about safety, you know, and uh and so you know, I just kind of lost it and said wait till I pulled over and pulled over and then you got out.
Speaker 1: I thought she jumped out mid motion pretty much and then left the door.
Speaker 4: Open, and it was just like, oh, you know the whole thing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, my god, that was what seven was seventeen. I got younger every time I said.
Speaker 1: It years five years old.
Speaker 5: I was newly born. I didn't know how cars were.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, So that was just that's that wasn't that always?
Speaker 8: Also during that time when you were spending time a little bit in Philadelphia because I'm mad, I missed probably like the beginning of that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I forgot it was Governor's Ball. I thought we were driving from Philadelphia.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's what I thought.
Speaker 1: I think something we were this was we weren't. I forgot who we replaced. We were like last minute replacements at Governor's Ball. And I remember that they put us on before Radiohead. And the way that it's organized is the stages are side by side to each other, so like people will be in front of your stage, but if there's an act that they really want to see on the other stage, either to your right or to your left, chances are they might just desert you, uh and run over there. So it was like, literally we were about to do the seed and then I.
Speaker 7: Just looked up and half the audience is gone.
Speaker 1: If we were playing to the soundman, like literally everyone just ran over it, okay to get to get.
Speaker 5: Radio.
Speaker 1: No, no, not even you.
Speaker 5: It was like everyone ran away.
Speaker 1: Right, No, I don't mean you. You know, it's not like you came with us. I think we just hey, we're going back to the city and you know.
Speaker 4: Maybe we'll bump into Marisa Tome.
Speaker 7: And it was like, isn't she in a Seinfeld episode they talk about Marissa.
Speaker 8: The whole thing feels like a sign because importantly she was in the first season of a Different World, which is when her relationship probably developed with Lisa Bone.
Speaker 5: But I'm just saying, yeah, I'm sorry. We also had on the show. We don't.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I remember she gave me permission to hug you for her, so I told her to think I will take that for her.
Speaker 1: There's one question I have about your mom. Okay, what am I technically supposed to call her? Because I still say hey you.
Speaker 6: Well, she's changed her name to Lilakoy, so people who really know her call her Lila Koy, And if she met you on the street tomorrow, that's probably how she'd introduce herself. But she her professional name is de Lisa Bone, so if she does a film or something, it would still be so they're both they're both accepted.
Speaker 5: Wouldn't have offended her?
Speaker 6: No, no, no, people obviously see her all the time and say Lisa.
Speaker 1: Because I'm still in that.
Speaker 6: What do they in our circle? If you want to be like, you know, in her circle, call her.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I can call her that.
Speaker 5: You can, well, I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's like seeing him and him saying what's up, Marsh.
Speaker 8: Like I air, she's the last to close this circle of tribe. You have to call her that so she can come here.
Speaker 1: Man, I feels I close enough to do so, so call mm hmm. Wait, since I'm already here, can I ask you a question?
Speaker 7: No, don't ask any question.
Speaker 1: Now, let's turn into SNL Chris Farley moment, Yo dog Jason. Does he have to give intense hugs like that?
Speaker 5: Does he do intense hugs?
Speaker 1: Dude?
Speaker 5: He's the between him.
Speaker 7: And about.
Speaker 1: Jason. Yeah, he's the fifth most intense greeter I know, like where you have to hide from the person. Do you remember Sesame Street with Kermit and Grover and he knocks him off the ledge like the sort of like here like greeting him.
Speaker 5: Is like and then does he pick you up?
Speaker 6: He does a lot, you know, he has a lot of picking up he does, he does the like.
Speaker 5: It's just it's just a really big.
Speaker 6: Dude, and I don't think frail bones. You can't tell that he's being you know, and he's really he likes.
Speaker 1: You alive, right, He's such a happy passion of Yeah.
Speaker 6: But sometimes I'm like, you just can't just pick people up and move them. They're not like you know, he's just such a big he's.
Speaker 9: A big guy.
Speaker 1: My dream is to see him and Buster Rhymes meet each other to see if they spontaneously conbust yo. Buster is like, don't duk like.
Speaker 9: God Spring, you.
Speaker 7: Know, there's only negative twenty years left, right, neative years not for nothing?
Speaker 5: Aways. Can I just ask you this?
Speaker 8: It seems like you were surrounded by so much love, like even I was looking at of course we were looking at the wedding pictures, but just you can feel like a lot of love from every piece and part of your family.
Speaker 6: Is yeah's tool that you feel that. Yeah, I've been very, very lucky to be you know, raised by not only two wonderful parents, but an entire community, you know, my mom, Marissa and Cree and you know, just an incredible tribe who you know, helped helped raise me, especially you know, oh sorry, especially you know, they had me very young, so you need that support. And those people have become my family.
Speaker 5: It seems like they taught you about joy.
Speaker 7: Yeah, since we brought up your your stepfather really quick, I hear that there's a story about the first time you met him.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, Okay, So.
Speaker 6: My mom and Jason started dating when I was I think sixteen years old, and I was living in New York and she was living in LA and so I hadn't I would see her, you know, on Christmas breaks and spring breaks, so I would go a long period of time without seeing her, and her and Jason started dating and she got pregnant and I still hadn't met him. So he happened to be coming to New York to do a convention. He does all those sci fi conventions and stuff. So he was there for like twenty four hours, and my mom called me and said, I'm dating someone, which was a big deal because she hadn't dated someone in a long time. And and so he's coming to New York and I've left for you to meet him. It was just kind of a weird. You know, you're sixteen, do I'm like, what do you want?
Speaker 5: What do you mean?
Speaker 6: Like, what do you want me to do? And so we were doing like a talent show thing at school. So we were at school really late, and so I said, you know, he can come by after school and like whatever. So I was hanging out with like six of my friends outside school, and I was like, we were waiting to go to my friend's house to kind of go, you know, drink and smoke weed or whatever. And I was like, no, no, because and he wasn't famous either, so I had it still looks like that. Yes, he had dreads too. He's like, oh God's And so I'm like, we have to wait here because like my mom's boyfriend's coming to say hi, and we're all like okay, So we're sitting around and all of a sudden, this car pulls up and this guy gets out and he's just like the biggest, most beautiful person we've ever seen, and like speaking of big hugs, he like runs across the street and I have never met him, and I'm like embarrassed too, and he like grabs me and picks me up and he's like.
Speaker 9: What's up, sos.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 6: He's like so sweet and excited to meet me, and we're all like these kids like looking up at him and it's just like we've never seen anything like this person. And then it was no, it was intense, and then you know, we kind of energy was so pure. Yeah, it was great, but also just like whoa dude. So then we kind of like shoot the ship for a while and then we're like, okay, we're gonna go. We're gonna go to our friend's house on the Central Park West. There was like, we know, we had that one friend who his parents like were cool like with letting us like smoke and hang out, and so he was like, I'll give you guys a ride pile in, So we like all pile in his car and he drives us across the park and then we're like all right, man, like thank you so much, you know, and he's like, oh, I'm gonna come up. I'm gonna come up and hang out. And we're like again, like a very tiny sixteen year old group was like this guy. And so we're like okay, yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I come up.
Speaker 6: So he comes up and we kind of like sneak him in the house and we're in my friend Vaughn's bedroom and we're like ripping bongs and like drinking like forties of old English, like playing the acoustic guitar, like being a bunch of like you know, teenagers, and he's hanging out and he's like getting fucked up and we're hanging out. We're like bonding and not getting sucked up. He's drinking beer with us. Just clarify, wasn't like insane, but so then you know, we're all and then eventually it got really fun. We was like our new friend, he's all like hanging out with everybody. And then I remember my friend's dad, who was a very sweet, kind of timid man, came into the room to like bring us a snack. And he comes into the room, and you just see him like look at Jason, like all these like little kids and just like a giant man like dreadlocks with like a beer in his hand. I think maybe even like playing a bongo like you know, and he just looks at Jason and he has this bowl the cherries in his hand, and he just went and but I want a cold cherry.
Speaker 7: That's a good that's a good list. That is good. That is a good one. That's a good one.
Speaker 4: Jason, you are such a tickcas for our viewers. She could be talking about.
Speaker 7: Jason Alexander, Jason Alexander. That would be.
Speaker 1: Everybody.
Speaker 7: Please rewind this and think of that story with Jason Alexander and Jason.
Speaker 1: Oh no, because it's funny. I don't think of a pretty woman. I mean, I don't think of sign Field.
Speaker 5: A pretty woman.
Speaker 1: I think a pretty woman.
Speaker 6: Her legs.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, come on, you got a dollar, I got a dollar.
Speaker 1: You're reciting the lyrics all right, I'm gonna I'm gonna show you all professional I am. Right now, ladies and gentlemen, we're gonna pay the bills right now and just jump right to high fidelity. However, this I'm jumping back.
Speaker 5: We're not done here, but we're not done.
Speaker 1: No, literally, I want to know what your childhood soundtrack was, So do you remember? Okay, Well, because you grew up in such a musical household, I'm certain that a lot of the records you hold near and deer were already there. So what I'll say is, what.
Speaker 5: Was the.
Speaker 1: Childhood song that you remember first, or like your earliest member of childhood, Like, I'm not ashamed to say that mine.
Speaker 4: Was fu you are ashamed to say it.
Speaker 1: It's a whack. It's not whack, no disrespect, It's Niel Saidaka's bad blood.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, we went over the song.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but that was that was her first memory of something you heard in the old house.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was my first forty five you know, I don't know his joint. My parents were, it's weird away, this is about you, not me.
Speaker 6: Let's see. I mean a lot of my mom would play a lot of Bob Marley, a lot of I remember singing. I remember her being into the.
Speaker 5: Chili Peppers record and me I was in.
Speaker 6: I was really into that song under the Bridge. And I remember being with my father in a hotel lobby and my dad brought me over to some guy and he was like, this guy sings that song that you like. It was Anthony and he made me sing under the Bridge. But I was like, you know, yeah, I was really little in my head.
Speaker 1: I was like, wait a minute, under the Bridge, that's later for Chili Peppers. You born to?
Speaker 6: I don't really, but you know, my parents listened to so much great music that I think I actually kind of had this like weird music rebellion thing where I kind of had to come back to good music, Like the only way you can rebel is to listen to really shitty music.
Speaker 1: But is there something of the day that you like, Like did you ever go to Spice Girls kinds?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I was obsessed with the Spice Girls, which one of the first scenes fought was Big Willie Style.
Speaker 9: You.
Speaker 6: I was so excited to have I remember.
Speaker 5: Havings credibility for her.
Speaker 7: Though.
Speaker 5: Really there's like one song on there, the Rain.
Speaker 11: We're from Philadelphia, Yeah, even the one about Miami. Hey man, he's trying to expand his brand. I'm just saying no from Philly, I know, but I'm.
Speaker 1: Just saying so, all right, So your first record that you brought was Big Willie Style.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think it was big Willi style.
Speaker 1: Why Big Willies that was the first Why you're looking at me? You don't remember the rehearsal me and Kirk argued early.
Speaker 4: Style, saying that's how that's how Kirk was saying it, child.
Speaker 1: If if if the rooms. One of the scariest things about Steve is that the mics are always on in our dressing room. So every argument, every awkward moment is like there. So sometimes I'll sit at the computer looking for songs and then realizing that there's like twelve second snippets of arguments, but one but the but the big Willie style argument is like, oh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he was trying to tell Kirk how to sing that, to say it with tough or whatever.
Speaker 5: There's a hook style.
Speaker 4: It was like a background response vocal or something. Yeah, I was trying to teach Kirk how to be tough, Big will style.
Speaker 1: K Kirk was saying it, Mike, he was from long Eye, Big Willie style, and I was like, you gotta put some in it. Should I give this, I'm gonna have to give it. I will give it to Bills.
Speaker 7: Yes.
Speaker 1: Anyway, So I'm very happy that big Willie style was That was the first record you brought.
Speaker 6: Yeah, like the first CD I actually you know bought and you know went and I remember going into my room and like looking at the lyrics of the whole thing, And did.
Speaker 1: Your parents ever criticize you for like stuff that you listened to?
Speaker 6: That was like, I don't think they criticized me, but I know that when I was maybe thirty fourteen, after living in Miami and being really into whatever was on the radio, my dad I bought I bought a Beatles album and I came home with the Beatles album.
Speaker 5: My dad was like thang God like exhale, like he was like, I was worried.
Speaker 1: What made you do it?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 6: I think I was kind of like, oh, the Beatles. I heard they were pretty good.
Speaker 1: I don't know, like was it over a boy?
Speaker 6: Like, No, I don't think it was over a boy. I think it was just kind of like I remember, the first thing that kind of brought me back to good music was it was Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon probably like started smoking weed and like listened to that and realized there was like a whole world of music that wasn't Nelly right.
Speaker 8: Because I ask it must have been a moment when you asked to be taken to a show that, oh my god, to take it.
Speaker 6: I took my dad. I made my dad take me to a Blank two concept and I remember being there and the guys blank started like I don't know, they like a girl threw a bra on the stage, and then they took the bra and put it on their head and pretended to be flies. And I remember my dad just like looking at me, just like, why why are we here? You know they can see me? Why do I have to be here? Like That's that was real love right there.
Speaker 1: But you should have you should have said back, the only reason why I'm here. New addition, you can set them down right there. You went to a New Edition concert, Lenny.
Speaker 5: Kravit, We'll have a moment.
Speaker 7: I mean it was eighty five though, I love but everyone.
Speaker 6: Went to at the time. That was like no, no, they were huge.
Speaker 7: They were.
Speaker 6: All the small things huge.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But if you were to ever tell me that the story of you know, the Queen in the in the King of Black VoJo right, a New Edition concert, Yeah yeah, yeah, I've been likes concert right right, I would believe.
Speaker 5: That I told you that story affirmed Black America's love with them.
Speaker 1: We was like, yes, wait, did you know.
Speaker 9: That your parents?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 5: I think in an elevator. Yeah, it just made it perfect. It was like, yes, of course, because there's not there's levels of these people.
Speaker 4: Anyway, what's the fidelity about? Seriously?
Speaker 5: I saw the original in the movie Afy right after Steve.
Speaker 7: Here's the book, Steve, you didn't see the original?
Speaker 1: No, shout out to No, he knows that he's.
Speaker 4: Is it a remake?
Speaker 6: Yeah, he's being genuine, he's.
Speaker 1: Been Nick Hornby.
Speaker 7: I know the movie.
Speaker 5: In the book, she's saying, what's the show about?
Speaker 1: Do you know that.
Speaker 5: It's great?
Speaker 1: Do you know the beautiful irony of why she did the series? Okay, so in the movie have you seen Hilph Adelogy's basically that could describe our relationship.
Speaker 4: Cusack movies John Cusack and Jack Black.
Speaker 1: You might be Jack Black, I might be Cuzak in the situation.
Speaker 9: Yeah no, I think.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, he's definitely Jack Blaine.
Speaker 6: I don't think you're I don't know who.
Speaker 7: You aren't listen.
Speaker 1: Anyway. So the whole point is that her mother, her her mother was in high Fidelty.
Speaker 7: So that's right, right, Marita, I get it.
Speaker 1: So the brilliant thing about this is that I forgot the ginger flip of the fact that she's now playing the role of Kuzak. Amazing.
Speaker 4: So it's a show.
Speaker 5: It's a show.
Speaker 6: It's a show on Hulu. Hulu is ten episodes.
Speaker 1: And yeah, I want to know how you guys got away with all the music.
Speaker 5: The licensing.
Speaker 6: It was the journey. It was the journey. I mean, we had a great music budget.
Speaker 1: But how many personal letters did you have to write two different estates.
Speaker 6: I actually didn't. I actually didn't, but there.
Speaker 1: Was people just cleared it like, well, I'll saymb princess people.
Speaker 6: But I was ready to There was a few times, like the Stevie Wonder song there we had trouble getting. I believe when I fall in love. For some reason, we just took it. I think he was actually just busy and it took him a minute to answer. But I was prepared to write a letter. But yeah, it was crazy. There was a lot of songs that I thought we weren't going to get that we ended up getting. Because you get so attached to things and you can't see anything else in that space.
Speaker 5: Do you have any input on the.
Speaker 1: Song, so I'm sorry, she's executive producer.
Speaker 6: I had a lot of them put yeah. Yeah, and a lot of the songs we wrote into the scripts and then.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you have to get them cleared first, and then.
Speaker 6: No, we'd write them in knowing they could be changed. The only ones that you know, were difficult were ones that we were actually discussing. Zeppelin was, yeah, we didn't even try.
Speaker 1: You know what, It's weird. It's so weird to me that people that are so protective of a legacy. Yeah, like one. I think a lot of times the red tape lawyers often are so protective of it, but they don't know it's for their like for something like this, Yeah, like the music is going to have to translate to another generation.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and it's exciting because so many people don't know a lot of the music. I think young people.
Speaker 1: So yeah, A lot of the times I find out that it's mostly the lawyers, because when these artists come.
Speaker 5: To our show, they don't even know.
Speaker 1: I joke with the Plan all the time that like his stuff is unclearable. He says, yes, of course I want my music everywhere. No, no, But it's just like you're dealing with lawyers and publishing companies and that sort of Wait.
Speaker 6: A minute, lawyers only care about money, yeah.
Speaker 5: Believe it or not?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, believe it or not.
Speaker 7: So and publishing companies only care about money too.
Speaker 1: What Yes, I wanted to grow on kids.
Speaker 4: So how did you you have ten episodes? Did you spread out the whole book amongst to make those ten episodes or did you save some for another season?
Speaker 6: Yeah, we saved a lot of stuff for future seasons, and we also took liberties.
Speaker 1: No good.
Speaker 6: We also kind of, you know, expanded beyond the book. But you know, the idea of going back and I'm seeing your exes and all that, that's kind of the foundation of the theres a lot.
Speaker 7: Of Easter eggs in there too.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Like I don't want to give it away, but there's a name that that's mentioned. That's that's one of Rob's xes in the book or in the movie, excuse me, in the TV show. That's more off his girlfriend's exes in the in the book and the movie.
Speaker 5: Yes, we did.
Speaker 6: We did a lot of stuff like that, like a lot of nods to the to the movie.
Speaker 7: And actually, really I haven't finished it yet. I'm only like I've only gotten up to the Froze episode, okay, but uh, I've enjoyed seeing how certain things have been updated.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 7: For you know, the movie came out, like I guess it was twenty years ago now, so seeing how some of the references have been updated. You know, you know in the movie, the whole I just can't called to say I love you, yeah, write that character and then how it's dealt with.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Oh that was I was like, oh, yeah, that my heart. So you see, Steve, there's an episode when they have a conversation. I'm not giving it.
Speaker 1: Do you know I just called to see I love you debate in the movie, Uh, vaguely all right. So like a customer comes in to get a Stevie Wonder song and says, hey, I want to I just called it, and they basically is.
Speaker 5: She there's no way your daughter likes that. I'm sorry, coma.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so they've updated it.
Speaker 6: Uh just sort of someone wants to buy a Michael Jacksons record.
Speaker 1: I'm like, yeah, it's still although in that scene I was like, no, I would have said Jerry Hay notes, but that did as well.
Speaker 6: We need you more and more involved this time.
Speaker 5: The next time.
Speaker 8: But I did think that what was ill about that scene is divine right, Oh my god, I should have won awards and that's dumb, but that she didn't win. But I thought it was interesting the stance that she took, cause based on her character, I was like, now, girl, yeah, I know, you know that the averages to be like who who?
Speaker 5: I didn't see to take did you?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, but she was like, no character. So she was the one that was like, no, you can't buy this. You know, he did this and he did that. That was interesting. It was nice.
Speaker 6: It was important to us to kind of, you know, not make people stereotypes, you know what I mean. So there was an earlier version where the song she comes in and plays when she first her There was an earlier version where it was like Pony or something. Then we were like, well you just like see it coming. So that was something we were conscious.
Speaker 5: Glad y'all did that?
Speaker 1: What how are you able to clear?
Speaker 5: I mean, I don't know where music supervisors.
Speaker 1: Because that's yeah, yes, right, okay, I see. Now, well I was going to tell you, Steve, I don't know if you're aware of how streaming culture works.
Speaker 4: Now, yeah, I was gonna ask, does it take place in a record store or not?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, it does, but I'm just saying that it's not. It's more not like a note for note cover of the book in the movie, but just treated as its own basis, but heavily inspired.
Speaker 4: But it's playlists instead of mixtapes.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, yeah yea. And Bruce Springsteen is not in the in the in the show, but there is another.
Speaker 5: Person I didn't get there.
Speaker 7: You got to watch the show to find out.
Speaker 5: So I did want to ask you though. As I was watching, I wondered as a kid, because I know the answer for all these guys is yes, and me is yes. But did you ever make mixtapes for something like for a boy before?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I made well, I mean CDs, right, sorry, yeah, I down. I would download things off of lime Wire.
Speaker 5: Oh and yeah, said Napster. Napster.
Speaker 6: Now was it was more?
Speaker 5: It was LimeWire. It was LimeWire for me, like the.
Speaker 1: First generational millennial, like the like the generation X of millennials.
Speaker 6: God, LimeWire. Remember, you would like download stuff too, and you would wait forever, but then it wouldn't It wasn't even the thing that you meant to download it was something else you have you done yet?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Oh my God, please put it on Jesus a mural so that they could just talk about lime wire. Oh yeah, yeah, Jesus is the king of that or he might have never mind, Yes, he's the king of that ship.
Speaker 5: So yeah, so you may mix myself. Okay, yes, that would have So all love songs like type.
Speaker 6: Do sometimes love songs also, just like these are cool songs that, like I think you would think are cool too.
Speaker 7: Did you have a formula for putting them together like you doing in the show.
Speaker 5: God, that's a good question.
Speaker 6: I think I was less aware because now when I make playlists, my biggest concern is how one song flows into the next song. I don't think that was something I was savvy too when I was younger.
Speaker 7: Actually I was I don't know how. I don't know how, Like I don't know how, I don't know where. I don't know where it came from.
Speaker 6: Like maybe it was happening naturally, and I wasn't overthinking it because now I really think about.
Speaker 7: It, you know, Ah, that's I didn't.
Speaker 1: I thought I was the only person that put that much thought.
Speaker 8: Wow, because you actually put out a release of a mixtape, Babies Making.
Speaker 5: Babies the other day.
Speaker 6: Actually, I've been making my mom playlist because I got really into making playlists for the show, and then I would send them to her and now she's like really into them, and now she kind of demands them and her streaming. Uh, she has Apple Music. Man, it's only because she like, doesn't you know, She's like, what is the Spotify? Like, she doesn't know that.
Speaker 5: It's dummies. I'm sorry, I mean I get it.
Speaker 7: It's convenient. Yea, I have it on that so I don't have to download another fucking app on my computer.
Speaker 5: Okay, Yeah, they got the for U section.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, you know. I mean I gave my heart to Spotify. Sorry, Jay, I have title too.
Speaker 5: They don't have quest of Supremes.
Speaker 1: I have all my m P.
Speaker 7: Three's and stuff in iTunes. It's not gonna fit in Spotify.
Speaker 5: Zoe, can you share a playlist with us?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Will absolutely?
Speaker 4: Will you make me a playlist all about cars?
Speaker 6: You know what I'm definitely going to make you.
Speaker 1: Wait, have you graduated, Steve. I've been trying to get Steve.
Speaker 7: Now, Steve, let's start a playlist group.
Speaker 1: Steve is Steve is actually, are you still making? Uh not swindles? What do you call it? You're you know what I'm talking about, Steve.
Speaker 4: You just watching me drown so baked, man, You don't know how.
Speaker 5: Bad I thought I smelled you outside in the front.
Speaker 1: No are you? Do you still make your mixes?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Your emos? You remember him making?
Speaker 9: What it was?
Speaker 1: Just well, Steve was like the original Spotify, So.
Speaker 4: Those weren't that was random? Those weren't really.
Speaker 1: You've had a gargantulee. Let me explain, like he had a gargantuan CD collection, like two thousand and three thousand CDs? Do you still have these? Yeah, they're still intact.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they weren't storage, they're in storage.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, because you know, the sure for a way to keep a relationship and check is to threaten your partners. Make your dog, I'm telling you, you run home, You run home. Make sure that she destroyed that. No, but Steve would just basically randomly put a thousand CDs. I was a thousand CD change or how many did it hold? Like five hundred eight hundred?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so sixteen hundred CDs? Yeah, two of them?
Speaker 9: Right?
Speaker 4: No, it was two four.
Speaker 1: And then he would put them on random and then have them recorded randomly.
Speaker 4: And just kind it's a fun what an emails stands for, right, I never knew that was it. It was random matter. I just chose my eight hundred favorite albums basically there.
Speaker 1: Cool, and then he would easter egg them throughout.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I made a thousand of them. And then I just gave him away.
Speaker 9: I remember, though, just place.
Speaker 1: Them throughout like randomly. I never got one of some of the best coasters.
Speaker 6: You were about to give it to me before I jumped out of the moving I.
Speaker 4: Still have a CD player. I'll give you one. Okay.
Speaker 1: Well, that's the thing I thought. I tried to tell Steve.
Speaker 4: No I MP threedom though I have them all. I have a thousand of them, all empty three But even.
Speaker 1: Then I told you, like, you have to get a streaming account and start all over again, and you be obsessed with it network.
Speaker 5: We really love that, Steve. That's the gift that keeps on the network. We did the Sugar Network.
Speaker 4: I just feel like we're old and we did playlists already, and like we made our mixtapes bringing it back.
Speaker 1: You don't no, but you know, I mean you don't want to start all over again.
Speaker 4: We were making you know, we made we were I was obsessed with playlists when when we first got a playlist?
Speaker 1: Right again, you're the OG. You're the OG.
Speaker 4: I get it the playlist.
Speaker 1: It's twenty twenty.
Speaker 9: Dog.
Speaker 6: It might be nice to fun for you.
Speaker 4: Ye, I mean, I'm kind of on Spotify.
Speaker 1: You're going to get it Spotify. You're gonna make Zille an apology playlist.
Speaker 6: I'll make you a playlist if you make me.
Speaker 4: I'm not like Manda.
Speaker 1: Don't give it out? You don't mind?
Speaker 4: Does it matter?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 4: Okay, actually I think it's mixtape? Mandel is. Where is my Spotify?
Speaker 6: You heard it?
Speaker 5: Hear it here?
Speaker 7: Folks?
Speaker 1: Can our listeners just make I don't know, yes, send me.
Speaker 5: How am I want to force you sound like I don't care?
Speaker 1: I mean what.
Speaker 4: I'm an old school record collector and now everything No am I people, everything is everything's available in one place for free and sense that's.
Speaker 1: Your fear right. He has a guilt of like he doesn't like the logic of like not paying for a tangible piece of product with there's just ten songs on it. I mean no, but now you're educated more there's so many groups that I know about now that I would have never known about if I had to pay for them all.
Speaker 6: Or there is something sad about not physically owning your music, though.
Speaker 4: I think, Yeah, I mean, it's all very very virtual, it seems.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 7: I just don't have enough room in my apartment for anymore, so me neither.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, today I just got thirty thousand more records.
Speaker 4: Where they go, I don't know wherever they're sitting, that's where they're staying.
Speaker 5: Zoe, are you still singing?
Speaker 1: Are you?
Speaker 5: Because I know for a while you were.
Speaker 6: I had Yeah, I haven't been, but I've just been recording the last six months I've been. I've been recording with Jack Antonfit Electric Lady.
Speaker 1: Lady you're solo joint. Yes, So you finally just you yourself?
Speaker 9: Yes, Jesus Christ, I had to.
Speaker 5: I had to get there myself long enough.
Speaker 9: Now, I know.
Speaker 6: I know it was I really think a big part of it was me just being afraid and kind of hiding behind something.
Speaker 5: But graduation.
Speaker 1: I've been waiting for this moment all my life.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 6: No, I'm really excited. It feels, it feels great.
Speaker 5: I do feel recording an electric lady like, yeah, I love it. There we sat down with your dad. There it was vibe.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 8: No, I wore a nice top, okay, because my girlfriend would have wanted me to.
Speaker 7: She got she got extra dressed up for that episode.
Speaker 5: You know what jo daddy looked like, right, uh yeah, yeah, your.
Speaker 1: Parents seen Hyphidelity yet.
Speaker 6: My dad has seen three or four episodes. And what was like, I don't think how awkward is it? It's it's not that awkward. I feel like, I don't know, man's that weird?
Speaker 1: All right, here's here's a good problem to have, because yes, I acknowledge that there's a three on the left edgit of your age. But you're and I don't mean like in the kindescending like, but you're always you still look sixteen, which right, which I'm certain like you could be. You'll probably look like a teenager until you're fit.
Speaker 8: No, she didn't look sixteen laying down next to that fine higher position where his thigh was like.
Speaker 5: Right, and you aren't. Like I was like, look at the way they position that they do that they just they stay right there. It was just it was beautiful, Charlene.
Speaker 1: I had nothing to do.
Speaker 8: It was kind of It reminded me of a beautiful sect like you would see and she's got to have it because they always it's nice to see two brown people girl talker, you know, and I felt, you know, it was nice to see you in that way too, because we don't always get to see who like.
Speaker 5: That's how I enjoyed that.
Speaker 9: Thank you.
Speaker 5: Not in a nasty way, No, no, I appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm going to enjoy it in a nasty way.
Speaker 9: Oh god, what.
Speaker 7: Those weren't No damn words wisdom.
Speaker 1: Twenty. I just decided to have my own what do you call it? Instessentials in case the conversation got.
Speaker 5: Awkward, Like she works with Laura Dart and she's like the hell of the me too movement?
Speaker 1: Right? All right?
Speaker 5: He was like, what's the met too?
Speaker 1: Steve? Is soon not that? No, I appreciate your patience. I know that you're probably enough for ninety seven hours.
Speaker 6: No, no, this is I'm having this is great.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 7: I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: Well, I will my kind of closing not closing question. But you often do, uh, these what I call superhero summer movies. Okay, I mean, look, dog, I wish if I watched television at home. I wish I was like a Marvel person or whatever or that sort of thing. But I know that you're currently doing Batman right now, and that it's what what is the Yeah? Your Catwoman?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So how grueling is your your training and how rigorous is it?
Speaker 5: It's pretty intense.
Speaker 6: We just started shooting a couple of weeks ago, but before that, I was in London for two months just getting in shape, training, learning fights. So you can fight now, I can fight.
Speaker 9: Now I have to go.
Speaker 4: Batman should be a woman.
Speaker 7: She's playing Catwoman.
Speaker 4: I know Batman should be a woman.
Speaker 1: Oh I don't.
Speaker 7: Whatever, but she's not a woman.
Speaker 8: Well wait, that's crazy though, because your stepping in the under It's like it was Michelle Fifers, Calie Barry.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I meant that. That's what I meant that too, And now wasn't the first woman? You know what? You're right?
Speaker 6: Because summer, this is next summer. We're shooting until this summer. It's a long shoot.
Speaker 1: Wow, how intense is this?
Speaker 6: It's intense?
Speaker 1: What's the official title called the Batman?
Speaker 9: Who is that?
Speaker 5: Who is Batman? Robert Pattinson?
Speaker 1: Yo, I need you to give I know he thinks I'm crazy, but literally, but literally Robert after I saw a Good Time. He can do no wrong.
Speaker 5: He's a good actor, man, dog, He's really he was so good.
Speaker 1: I didn't know I was watching Robert Patt.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 1: I was walking up the theater and someone mentioning, I'm like the werewolf, and I looked at the poster. I was like, wait, which one is Robert pet And men had to go back to see it again on the list, what is this movie? You have to see? Good Time? The same people that brought you. Really, they're so good they make anybody like caliber. Yeah, that's how awesome they are. And that's not even the little robbery of acting abilities you have to see until yes you must.
Speaker 6: When do you go back and start shooting pretty uh? Lord, pretty pretty woman?
Speaker 5: I've got pretty women, little liars. I got everything in my head.
Speaker 8: When you go back and film the HBO show again, I don't, I don't know, or do you because it was Yeah.
Speaker 6: The funny thing about that show is that it was supposed to be a limited series, so there was only supposed to be one season and then.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then was that unfair?
Speaker 6: What like?
Speaker 1: When you know? When I saw that, I was like, oh, God, Okay, so Merrol is just gonna eat Well she didn't get nominated for she was Well she didn't win though, but instantly I thought, oh, great, now.
Speaker 6: You know's gonna win everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, established like just eat all that.
Speaker 5: She was playing a bitch too, so it was like, oh, she's really gonna kill it.
Speaker 6: Wouldn't it be funny if that was my reaction to Meryl Streep, I was like, that bitch is gonna win everything.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: No, I think we were all just I mean, to work with her is an award we're.
Speaker 1: Going with whatever. Is there anybody that's been like super intimidating that you worked with?
Speaker 6: I mean, I've been nervous to work with people. I mean, Meryl Street being one of them. Also Nicole, also Laura Reese, all of the you know, you know, when I would first do a scene with them, I'd have to pinch.
Speaker 1: Myself to say, that's the ultimate posse cut.
Speaker 5: It's crazy.
Speaker 6: When I was seventeen, one of my first movies, I did a film with Jodie Foster, and I grew up loving Jody Foster, so that was a huge, huge deal took.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Man, I've worked with a lot of people who have made me very nervous.
Speaker 8: And you're so dramatic. It's no, it's not too many happy moments in that show. So I'm like, you got this just like have to put so much emotion into everything that you film on that show, because.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's kind of heavy show. I loved it though, thank you.
Speaker 1: Okay, So what this stage of your life and I'm winding it down the stage of your life? Yeah, Like what do you hope for between these next ten years? Like can we call this the twenties?
Speaker 5: Yeah, we're in the twenties. Isn't that weird? The Roaring twenties?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Years since prohibition?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So what are your personal goals?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: Do you have a wishboard or you just take it as it comes?
Speaker 6: I know, I mean I think I have a wishboard kind of inside of me, Like I can feel like the things that I'm gravitating towards and want to do. I've been writing a script for a couple of years that I hope to make in the next year or so. Making making music.
Speaker 1: Have you ever directed anything? No, but that's not even a video or just something.
Speaker 6: No, not really, but that's something I really really really want to do. I think, I you know I would do for the next season of Hopatality. For sure. You want to direct the film that I'm writing, and I want to make music and I want to get the fun off my phone? Man, how hard is it's easy?
Speaker 7: Just delete all them social media.
Speaker 6: As how do you not download them again?
Speaker 7: And also like easily because after after about a week, I didn't miss any of them, and they're telling me to get on Spotify.
Speaker 6: Yes, different though I don't have an addictive thing with Spotify to listen to this difference between social media stuff where I'm like, well.
Speaker 1: Can I ask how did it feel to physically stop the NFL for at least two good quarters. I was so proud Zoe's shut down the internet, as as young'ins say, shut down the internet. The dress that you wear a BAFTA stayed stayed, Yeah, stayed number one. Usually during the super Bowl they'll take the all the commercials and whatever associate with the super Bowl will take the top five positions uh on Twitter and.
Speaker 5: A dress as a Google search.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so literally and so literally when the when the super Bowl started trying when the super Bowl started, Zoe's dress was number one, and I thought, okay, well, you know that would be like eight minutes and then you know, Super Bowls and literally until j Lo Zoe kept the entire Super Bowl uh out of.
Speaker 5: The or until Jason shed all his fat. Oh that was just the greatest commercial ever.
Speaker 1: Yeah no, but literally, no commercial, no commercial, no nothing topped Zoe's dress.
Speaker 5: I am baffled by that.
Speaker 7: You look amazing.
Speaker 1: Then I was like, she really did a arrivee like she super rived.
Speaker 5: Like, yeah, Zoey, do you do stylists? You know?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I have an amazing stylist andream.
Speaker 8: Okay, I feel like I should ask you fifty thousand style questions, but I know we don't have time.
Speaker 5: But you know, I'll just say this.
Speaker 8: It was nice to be in an airport in Singapore and see your face as the face of like at least three to five different brands, Dope ones Too Like to Me.
Speaker 6: And with Me and Sat Laurent.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, I wanted to know. I know people always come at you. Were you conscious and who you were like saying yes to and that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, I was very picky about who I wanted to work with to The too Me thing was great because I got to do with my dad, and that was a fun thing to do. And then you know, Saint Laurent's a very just a prestigious house, you know, so that was an honor.
Speaker 5: The freebies.
Speaker 4: Just wear old navy underwear.
Speaker 5: That's not true. You're very designed. Yeah, come on, dude, stop depends alone.
Speaker 1: I get free. No, it's just free man.
Speaker 5: I don't think can you give me one of them crowns that you wrot because.
Speaker 1: I was again to you, Ricky, like it's just like hear me, like they see me as a walking getting pick like here, just wear this.
Speaker 5: We're are dan.
Speaker 6: I haven't seen them in forever. I used to like run into them on the street.
Speaker 1: They're working in the key blar lf shop designing my next thing. So I let him out for hair. No, I just make me five hundred pins. So all right, well, Zoe, I.
Speaker 7: Got one last question.
Speaker 1: Yes, what do you nerd out about?
Speaker 6: What do I nerd like?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 7: What is something that if we got you talking about it, you would not shut up the Sopranos, So.
Speaker 1: Then you're just discovering it or watch it in real time?
Speaker 6: I know I didn't. I was too young to really like understand why people were watching it. When it came out, and then watched it a couple of years ago and watched it twice in a row. And since then have I just pick episodes and watch it. But that is something that I I'm just I'm completely obsessed with the Sopranos.
Speaker 5: And you say, what about the series finale?
Speaker 6: You want to talk about it?
Speaker 5: I just want to know what you think. I mean, do you think that that was the problem that wasn't it was a problem, or what happened a proper.
Speaker 1: It's fucking genius that series finale almost, I won't say almost broke up the roots, but how there's no there was a near fight because I thought that Camal had sat on the remote. It's like thoost and I.
Speaker 9: Looked and I was like wait and I looked and it was like, Yo, what the fuck?
Speaker 8: Man?
Speaker 9: There you talking about? Fuck you nigga?
Speaker 1: And then like and then like it just escalated. But then like he you know, like no, the credits are on there, and then I realized, Oh, that's what happened.
Speaker 6: Do you think there's any debate about what happened though? Because I don't understand.
Speaker 5: So what do you think he got shot?
Speaker 1: I believe that, Yeah, Chase.
Speaker 5: Uh, here's the restaurant.
Speaker 7: Here's he's in the restaurant.
Speaker 6: He's in the restaurant. Someone came in and killed him. So in the sea in the season before, there's an episode where he's talking to someone on to Bobby and they're on a boat. They're on like a little canoe thing, and Bobby's talking about, what do you think it's like when you get whacked? And he says, it probably happens like that. You probably don't even hear anything.
Speaker 5: It just stops, it goes black.
Speaker 6: They literally give that to you.
Speaker 5: But you said the season before, yeah, you have to pay attention. Yeah, okay, all right.
Speaker 4: Well just because that exists this season, just because he said that doesn't mean that that's I'm pretty sure I think it.
Speaker 1: So here it says while Chase has an insistent they're.
Speaker 6: Leaving an ambiguous of course because it's more interesting to do that. But to me, it's just they gave they gave you the information and then they did it.
Speaker 4: They cut to that right before or any time and in the.
Speaker 6: Season and so they did cut to Yeah, they do. I think it's maybe the episode before, but they do cut to him.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they do. They so they even give it to you again. I mean for now is like power. That was a perfect stories for that.
Speaker 1: Don't go, don't I'm not telling you.
Speaker 5: I'm just saying. I mean, I know it was artistically, I just need answers.
Speaker 6: I need to know we've been in this guy subconscious the whole time. We see his dreams, we see everything from his perspective, and then all of a sudden, when he goes, we go. It's fucking amazing.
Speaker 5: Wow, you just head.
Speaker 1: That's why I've never heard her nerd out about anything so passionate.
Speaker 7: But like, did you like the movie Inception or did you see the movie Inception?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: It was got, it was hard.
Speaker 7: Did you like did you like the ending?
Speaker 1: Remember the.
Speaker 7: End?
Speaker 6: The ending is whether he's still in the things ends and see if it drops.
Speaker 7: Me on, Yeah, it's the same thing. It's like, you know, fill it in yourself, for see.
Speaker 6: I don't think it is filling yourself.
Speaker 5: I think it's like I think I think it is.
Speaker 7: I think I think that what I think with the soprano's end, inception can go either way, and I'm I don't not eating one that goes, you know, on either side. I think either one of them is a good interpretation.
Speaker 5: Now I agree with Zoey, thank you seriously.
Speaker 7: But I mean, I do think that Tony was shot. But you know, I'm not against anybody who thinks, you know that it's just you know, life went on, you know what I believe think.
Speaker 1: I believe that Handeli's son has also going on record for uh saying the same. Here's the weird thing. The real son he said, he never well you know he's now say.
Speaker 5: Tony Soprano, what dude, I want to go to soprano. I'm like, this is like, hold on, is there gonna be Sopranos coming back?
Speaker 7: What?
Speaker 6: They're making a movie.
Speaker 1: They're making a chase is doing it right everybody. So they're making a movie and Tony's son now looks like him. Uh, you know of Tony's teenage years. So they're doing a prequel to it. But he said that he purposely didn't watch the show, and then when his dad passed then it was really hard to watch. So he just finished watching six Soprano episodes. Like in the last year or.
Speaker 6: So, favorite actor, favorite actor, even in Mexico, Like Mexico, he was the Mexican Yes, yes, I mean Eatie.
Speaker 5: Falco as well.
Speaker 6: I mean, just like to me, in terms of storytelling, the balance between comedy and drama and horror and violence. I mean, I've never seen better storytelling than the Sopranos.
Speaker 1: Have you seen Breaking Bed?
Speaker 6: Yes, Sopranos is better.
Speaker 1: Again, my top three is Breaking Bad Sopranos, and then The Wire.
Speaker 5: Oh, good list. I definitely shout out, okay're gonna do that. We're doing We're doing a list, so you.
Speaker 1: Still put Sopranos above it, all above it?
Speaker 6: Yeah, the Wire, The Wire's genius and and and I've never seen anything like that before, Nothing like that had been done in terms of like the perspectives of all these different people, but in terms of also just like straight up entertainment on top of the genius. The Sopranos like I cry, I laugh like three and seconds next to each other, Like.
Speaker 5: I would say that if we weren't on the mic, but on the mic, I'm going to say the Wire, that's how black I am.
Speaker 1: It's weird that I think black people are afraid to say that because The Wire has now been so fetishized.
Speaker 8: Well not just that, but also because there was such a collection of so many actors and a lot of them were amazing, so it's like, oh you want to it's it was, It's hard Sopranos, Wire, I just meet it in the middle because they were both.
Speaker 5: Wire is amazing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, okay, yeah, HBO Sopranos.
Speaker 5: And my heart though, but who.
Speaker 1: Still watch What Happens Live?
Speaker 4: What's happening now?
Speaker 7: All right, Steve, you're fucking with Johnson and Martin Lord because you know good well, I was talking about watch What Happens Live and you are.
Speaker 5: His favorite show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he loves watch What Happens Live.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Sopranos is the best out of all those things you're talking.
Speaker 6: Do you agree?
Speaker 4: Yeah, easily. I haven't seen Breaking Bad though.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm really disappointed that you too didn't fight. But this concludes our episode of Quest Left Supprove, thank you Zoe for coming on the show. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, please support and watch High Fidelity on Hulu and uh all your other endeavors and your solo work. Jack Anson Off, I'm really proud of you, man. This means that you're gonna have to eventually come on the show and.
Speaker 6: Sing yeah, wow, yes, gonna happen, you know, Sam?
Speaker 1: All right on Behalf of Boss Bill like Sugar Steve. You know why he got his name?
Speaker 4: No, please, all right, it's not important.
Speaker 1: One story short.
Speaker 4: Wants Hulu on. Come on man in the show. All right, Yeah, this is giving me many diseases.
Speaker 1: Diabetes is one of them.
Speaker 4: We'll see around.
Speaker 7: I've already faded out for five minutes.
Speaker 1: One. Two three we do it, Kurt.
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 9: Two three?
Speaker 1: How we doing it?
Speaker 9: Big Willie style?
Speaker 3: How we do it?
Speaker 9: Big Willie style?
Speaker 7: How we do it Big Willie style? Big Willi Style?
Speaker 1: Two three?
Speaker 9: How we do it Big Willi Style? How we do Big Willi sto?
Speaker 1: Man say with conviction?
Speaker 5: Two?
Speaker 9: How we do it Big Willi Style?
Speaker 7: How we do it Big Willie style?
Speaker 1: Are you asking?
Speaker 2: Can you?
Speaker 9: Can you play it? One more time?
Speaker 1: Two three? How we do it?
Speaker 7: Can you play?
Speaker 9: Can you play the track again?
Speaker 7: Can you play the track again?
Speaker 1: Please? All right? I'm I'm I'm gonna turn a new leaf and just just not say nothing. Man, fuck it.
Speaker 9: If you say how we do it, I'll do it.
Speaker 1: I just need I'll do it. I could just just say how we do it, dude?
Speaker 9: How we do it? You know it's tick? When staff how we do it? You know it's chick, why staff? How we do it? You don't take peny stash How we do it? You don't what's pick? When staun? How we do it? You don't chick when it Staff?
Speaker 1: How we do it? You don't what's pick? How we do it? Let's go the next song? Like I could literally hear you getting into black character, Like you're like channeling all Right Street character from Yonkers. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit the iHeart Radio go app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.