Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to Season two, ninety six, episode three. A man, a chunk of apple just flew out of my mouth and hit my microphone.
Speaker 2: I'm a mess this morning.
Speaker 3: It's episode three of thurdayly THI guys, Yeah.
Speaker 1: A production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 3: This is a podcast where we take a deep.
Speaker 2: Dive into America share consciousness.
Speaker 1: And this Thursday, July twentieth, twenty twenty three.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know what that means. It's World Jump Day. I don't know.
Speaker 3: That doesn't mean jumping somebody. I think, just like to jump up for joy or some shit. It's also International Chess Day, National Fortune Cookie Day. Hey, how y'all doing up there? Because it's National Pennsylvania Day, Get Toursday, National Moonday, National Lollipop Day.
Speaker 4: There you go.
Speaker 1: I feel like there's too many national lollipop days, or maybe there's just similar.
Speaker 2: It's things like on.
Speaker 3: Every seventeen days it's national national saying, National lollipop.
Speaker 1: Competing National lollipop Days. All right, Well, my name's Jack O'Brien. Aca here, come on, white? Does he come joging up slowly? He sip Baha blast y'all. He sip die cola. He got plumpers.
Speaker 2: Down before his knees got to be our jacket.
Speaker 3: Our Jackie just put tatoes, Obie.
Speaker 2: That is courtesy of the Rabbioli.
Speaker 1: God uh little come together by the Beatles about my legs, and I'm thrilled to be joined as always by my co host, mister Miles brad oh Man.
Speaker 4: Actually I have a question.
Speaker 3: Did I ever do the Grimace House of the Rising sunnay aka? Just in my mind? If not, so it's we're doing it because I thought of it, and I don't know if I did, and maybe I'm just misre memory. But here's one I've been thinking of in this shower.
Speaker 1: There once was a drink at McDonald's. They say it's grim mist come.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's been the ruin of many a poor boy.
Speaker 4: And God, I know I'm one shout out to my brain.
Speaker 3: Did I do that one?
Speaker 1: I don't think so, Okay, it's perfect for me not to have remembered it.
Speaker 3: I had to come back around on the Grimace shake.
Speaker 4: Sorry, that was the last one.
Speaker 3: I swear to God you last time we heard me say grimas come, I don't know, maybe until a few days, but anyway, that's me, Miles.
Speaker 1: They do say it's Grimace. Come well, Miles, we are through to be joined in our third seat by a writer director, podcast host of the very funny show Crimes of the Heart.
Speaker 5: It's Rory, all right, I don't have a song.
Speaker 3: That's all right, Okay, fine, here we'll walk you through a karaoke and bob okay, cold, there it is.
Speaker 5: I was kidding. I really thought that that would be so.
Speaker 1: Hard to work.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, and hold you gone.
Speaker 1: I just turned on the Scooby Doo there.
Speaker 2: I don't know why.
Speaker 1: Should be.
Speaker 5: Oh man, it's Thursday. You guys. We are still surviving all the strikes on strikes, on strikes.
Speaker 4: Stright strikes, on strikes, so many strikes?
Speaker 2: Are you?
Speaker 1: We do have a development in the the Tree Shade Stable because yeah, like part of me was like, maybe it's a coincidence.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: They they do cut the ship out of trees in l A sometimes, like there will be a tree, there will be a street with beautiful trees, and then suddenly it'll be it'll look like it's going off a military But it is no accident. They did that ship on purpose, illegally, illegally, without a permit. The execs were up there like cut on ladders, just cutting it down. Yeah really just dark nights really shit? Yeah, nice try assholes.
Speaker 6: If we ever doubted whether or all that Deadline article where whoever was quoted saying like we just need to break them but we're going to like bleed them dry blah blah blah blah blah Christmas, Now I'm like, oh, well that definitely seems a lot more accurate.
Speaker 3: Now oh yeah, yeah, yeah they tried. That was a shot across the bow. But you know, the resolve of the workers will not be broken, so yeah, deal with that hold that.
Speaker 1: I was waiting for them to be, like, all right, so that didn't come off great, So let's change our tech. Let's like come up with a new strategy, a new approach, a new personality. But it turns out they only have one personality pole cutting down trees and telling people that they're going to starve them out and cancel Christmas. That's that's just who they are.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, that's what we do.
Speaker 1: You know, out there's a reason that movie writers and directors have been able to create so many good villains over the years, because they work for a.
Speaker 2: Bunch of them.
Speaker 1: So true, where are you coming to us from Sally?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 5: Should I not have gotten that specific?
Speaker 3: Yeah, unless you don't want to, you can just say the east side.
Speaker 5: I'm on the east side where silver Lake is. No, it's fine, I mean Silverly. Yeah, we already did it. It's done.
Speaker 3: Have you have you been down to like, have you been to Universal since the trees are cut? Or no?
Speaker 5: No? No, no, I think they were cut like two days ago.
Speaker 6: I need to get down there because I'm in both unions, so I need to sign for each hand.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I feel Yeah, my heart goes out to the Duley's out there for them. Both have been down since me and now now I know.
Speaker 6: It's crazy, it's really crazy, but look should have to change.
Speaker 1: So yeah, my friends and the writers grilled. Say my friends and the writers grilled. Yeah, an turn a grill.
Speaker 5: That just made me think that we're like all in a comic book.
Speaker 6: I don't know why, but it was like grill and guild and I just felt like, now we're all superheroes.
Speaker 5: I'm into it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my mouth today spitting apples and fucking upwards. But they're saying that the protests have gotten much more theatrical and entertaining and musical. There's yeah, like music has entered the.
Speaker 4: That's what you get with the actor when the performers come.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the performers are here turning. It's it's like, uh, that Toby maguire movie where everything goes from black and white to color?
Speaker 3: Oh what is it?
Speaker 2: Not pleasant? Feel?
Speaker 4: Where there are no people of color at all?
Speaker 1: Exactly?
Speaker 3: Just remember I was remember I remember seeing that in the theaters and my friends were like yo.
Speaker 2: And then I was like Yo, what the fuck is?
Speaker 3: And no good.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It was like in the late nineties, so no one had that kind of media consciousness except for me, Like the one like Kid of Color and I was like, Yo, this is fucking bad.
Speaker 6: Yeah that oh man, that is it's shameful to Well, I don't know that I even that movie.
Speaker 5: Really made a dent on my radar.
Speaker 6: I mean I remember it coming out, but I don't I mean I think I was kind of like oof, not great, Like I don't know that I loved it, So I don't know that I would have really clocked that.
Speaker 3: But yeah, well, I think the way it really the only time it like really re emerged was recently on the Other two when they had that like thematic episode that was all pleasant phil esque when he's trying to like bring life back to all the actors of that procedural show he was on.
Speaker 6: Yeah wild anyway, we have woof Yeah, not great, not.
Speaker 4: Great as that sandwich Jack, What are you eating an apple? Miles?
Speaker 1: I'm still still working away at a cosmic crisp apple, which pretty good, pretty great.
Speaker 6: I have an apple tree and it is like crazy right now. And but mine are so small, They're like little apples And have.
Speaker 2: You checked the stickers on them to say what kind they are?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I'm oh God, I'm sad that I laughed at that because I feel like like a dad joke and I encouraging that.
Speaker 2: I shouldn't, but I don't encourage him.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's on an espolar vine. Do you know what those are?
Speaker 6: No, So my apple tree looks like a vine that goes up a wall, but it's a tree. And when it was first I'm gonna say born, but I mean planted it. I got it and it was a little tree ling and it had three branches and each branch was a different.
Speaker 5: Type of apple. Anyway, I'm a nerd and I thought that was so cool.
Speaker 4: Some Willy Wonka shit. There's like three kinds of apples.
Speaker 5: I know, I know.
Speaker 6: I didn't really ask questions just because I was so excited. And now I have like all these different apples and I just pick one and then I'm like, oh, but I guess it's a Granny Smith or oh, I guess this is a whatever.
Speaker 3: But they're tiny.
Speaker 5: They're tiny. So the only problem is is that sometimes I take a bite and I hit the core.
Speaker 4: Right bite halfway through it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the doctor says, my arsenic levels are off the charts and it's a eating all the apple seeds though.
Speaker 1: All right, Rory, we're gonna get to know you a little bit better in a moment. First, a couple of things we're talking about. We're going to talk about more Supreme Court fuckery. We're going to talk about the real reason Disney World is empty. The story is going wild on the right and they're like, Aha, we're winning the war against woke Disney. We're going to debate whether you're allowed to wear shorts.
Speaker 2: On a plane.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I ever had a thought about this, but I don't think I generally do because it gets cold up there. But we'll talk about it all of that plenty more. But first, Rory Uppold, we like to ask our guests, what is something from your search history that is revealing who you are?
Speaker 6: My search history is chaotic, and just like so, I looked at it and was like, oh, this screams helped me. I was looking up asexuality, the difference between attraction and desire, but I was also looking at st I rights in America and non toxic condoms.
Speaker 4: Okay, so asexuality, SDI rates non Wait, so wait, what are toxic condoms?
Speaker 6: Most condoms are owned by the most condom companies are owned by the same five companies, and if you get a box, you'll notice that it doesn't have ingredients listed on them. But they do have ingredients that're just not required to which is really crazy, and a lot of the ingredients are harmful, irritating, or in some cases toxic. I didn't know that, Like I do all this research for the show that I have, and I just interviewed these ladies who have a non toxic condom company, and I had the same reaction. I said, I'm sorry, right right right, I've, like, you know, been with a toxic dude or two, but I didn't realize I.
Speaker 1: Was then well, yeah.
Speaker 5: That seems like something I can control. So yeah, things like parabins or preservatives, like why would a condom have preservatives for the flavor?
Speaker 2: Keep it fresh?
Speaker 6: You're not wrong, Yeah, you're not wrong. But if it's just if you just have like just latex and just silicone, right right, don't need those other things.
Speaker 3: Right, So what is it preserving? Exactly?
Speaker 2: The patriarchy?
Speaker 6: I didn't no, no, no, bad ass, Like that's really what it is.
Speaker 4: It's like it's like, I don't know, it doesn't suck the guy up.
Speaker 6: Yeah, basically, it's just like all those memes about like is he worth risking your pH over this?
Speaker 5: It's like, no, that's really accurate, right truly, I know. So anyway, that's how I spend my time.
Speaker 1: There you go, what is what's something you think is overrated?
Speaker 5: Summer?
Speaker 1: Go on?
Speaker 5: Summer? Man?
Speaker 6: So as an adult, like, what does summer even mean? It's not like we get to take a break.
Speaker 2: Right right?
Speaker 6: That part hot as fuck, which is just like not my vibe.
Speaker 5: People listening don't know, but I am goth white.
Speaker 4: And are you from Canada as well?
Speaker 6: I'm yeah, I'm an American and Canadian. Yeah, but I just like truly just you know, yeah yeah Book with the Sun.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, and strike against you as if Canadian people can. I remember off handedly reading that you were.
Speaker 5: Okay, You're like what's wrong with her?
Speaker 6: Which I have, Like I used to be like a sun baby, like I used to be so so so so so tan, and then I moved to Michigan for high school and then I became like really really pale.
Speaker 5: And it's been that way ever since.
Speaker 6: But I also think I don't have kids, but for the people that are working that have kids now, they're just not in school. I'm like, summer actually kind of sucks. Also, there's this like pressure to be hot in the summer, and I'm like that doesn't really align with who I am on the inside. So I think this, Yeah, I feel like Halloween is more my vibe. Winter is more my vibe.
Speaker 3: Winter is definitely my Like I I say this, I don't have clothes for the summer. I only have clothes for the winter because I like, I like how I like winter clothes more than like wearing shorts and ship because I can just wear the same three pairs of shorts the whole summer.
Speaker 4: That's how I kind of look at summer.
Speaker 3: And then like when I go out to shit, I'm like, oh, I don't have like cool people clothes for the summer at all unless I pull up in like a basketball jersey and like soccer shorts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which those are cool basketball jersey soccer shorts.
Speaker 6: I was just gonna say, we're just at it as a friend.
Speaker 5: Where are we going in that outfit?
Speaker 2: I just want to help you.
Speaker 4: I don't know, I don't like, mister child, is that chill? They let me in like this on.
Speaker 5: The side, I might have some suggestions.
Speaker 4: Okay, cool, cool, cool, Yeah, but.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I agree. I don't know, dude, how do Jack, how do you.
Speaker 1: Feel about about summer? Summer is just more Yeah, you're you're right, it's the same, except way hotter, way more uncomfortable, way fewer clothing options. And then as somebody who does have kids who are school age, it just school gets replaced by either them hanging around or having to drop them at camp, which is just school but with shorter hours and like a drop off routine that nobody has figured out. And then like the by the time you get it figured out, it's the camp is over so right, it's it's not great. It's not got to get them in an arts camp man. Yeah, yeah, you know, like you're learning piano, that's right.
Speaker 6: Go I wish I was forced to keep up with the piano.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean you're a musician though, do you like noodle a little bit?
Speaker 3: Like with your keyboard?
Speaker 5: And no?
Speaker 6: You This is so sad, but I'm going to share it anyway. I used to be really good at the piano because my grandmother taught me how to play the piano and so I could play by ear. And then when my grandmother died, I like just never touched a piano again.
Speaker 1: Oh no, I know.
Speaker 5: It's like such a dummer story, but it's the truth.
Speaker 4: That's like me, I haven't played word with words with friends.
Speaker 1: And he can play that by year.
Speaker 5: Sorry, are you serious?
Speaker 3: I was just talking about that. Yes, she used to put like not that Like here's another tragedy. I don't know if you ever watched the Real World road Rules Challenge. Yeah, but when when DM passed away from cancer watching the show, Yeah, and then it only came back three years ago. But like I know, when we have these moments are like there's something elass can like kind of punctuate our totally.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: So right, so yeah, a perfect pitch and everything, and wow, I mean that's a that's a good skill to you know, to refine.
Speaker 6: Well, I mean now it's so much harder. It's like trying to learn a language later in life.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, for sure, I get it.
Speaker 1: But yeah, you have some songwriting in your background.
Speaker 3: Right I do?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I do. I started.
Speaker 6: I dropped out of college because I got a record deal and h m hmm. I guess it's a crazy story because I went to one of those like open calls and I won, So I guess that part is kind of weird.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, yeah, yeah, American without the TV cameras.
Speaker 6: Well, yeah, without the idol. It was just I guess me. It's an American rtory and it was rough. Like I love music. I think it's the most pure art form because it's the only art form where you get to attach meaning like you can. Music is the soundtrack to some of the most like profound moments in our life. But if you're watching like a movie or you're reading a book, you're seeing the images that other people have created and you can attach meaning to it.
Speaker 5: But it's not with you.
Speaker 6: Like there are songs that I can't listen to because they will just literally make me cry because.
Speaker 5: They just take me back right to that moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I can't think of any other artistic medium that does that.
Speaker 4: No, not artistically.
Speaker 3: I think only thing that like could potentially make me like emotional is like a smell, you know, like that kind of like a sense memory that was attached to like a like a smell or something from like a place for sure or something. But yeah, music is definitely like that, where like you hear a song and like your mind just starts going through yep.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but it got really toxic for me. The business side got so ugly and.
Speaker 1: I had to know industry.
Speaker 4: I know, it's I just watched the Idol and for the guys.
Speaker 6: Okay, well that the Idol feels like that was like a weird fever coke dream.
Speaker 7: Right right.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I definitely wasn't in that. But I did just tell the story on I did a podcast and I did talk about how I was on tour with this guy and I was about to do the biggest performance that I'd done because it was like.
Speaker 5: Five thousand people at a six flags during the summer. Fuck summer, fuck summer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he.
Speaker 6: In the Sprinter on the way there, in front of I was the only woman in the car, said hey, I think that we should fuck so that we have like real chemistry on stage. Oh no, wow, And my mind thought I can think of four five hundred and sixty two other things I would rather do, but instead I said I'm going to keep my job.
Speaker 5: And I said I don't think you can handle me, which is.
Speaker 6: Like a was like a kind of semi flirty way of saying, let's not pretend that we did. And then right before we went on stage, he turned to me and he just said, don't fuck up. I can go on stage and fuck up because they're here to see me, but if you go on stage.
Speaker 4: You'll ruin the show Jesus Christ.
Speaker 6: And I was so scared, you guys, so scared. And I was in like six inch heels with like thirty pounds of fake hair.
Speaker 3: I mean, it was just yeah, yeah, that definitely would be a moment where you begin to be like, this is not what I wanted to do at all.
Speaker 5: And that like wasn't even bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, Yeah, No, that wasn't even bad.
Speaker 3: I just.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: But you're in that moment too, where like you're sort of someone is trying to put all the forces at work like right in front of you about being like yeah and here's here are the stakes for you.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Yeah, So I just chose like a way safer, easier path and got into film and TV.
Speaker 1: There you go, what is something you think is underrated?
Speaker 5: Underrated?
Speaker 6: Well, okay, this is so nerdy, but it's in theme with like me not loving summer. I have this mesh magnetic sun shield that I put up in the window of my car. Okay, so it blocks the sunlight because a lot of people have skin damage or sun damage on the left side of their face, but I don't because I have this like really thin mesh black like you put that the magnets go on the metal sides of your window and so it cuts fifty percent of the sunlight.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: Okay, now I remember the first time like I saw that was like I think it was like early Internet where they're like look at these faces of truck drivers and the left side of their face and you're like whole like and that's like the most extreme example where it's like these dudes who have never heard of sun before after picture, but just yeah, like two face shit. Yeah yeah, it's like down the like almost like hemispherically. You saw like here's the sun side and here's that side that didn't get cooked in.
Speaker 5: Summer versus winter. Yeah yeah, right exactly.
Speaker 3: These are all around though, year round though, you know, just just a psa.
Speaker 6: They are, they are, And I'm obsessed with sunscreen. I get all my sunscreen from like Korea or Japan or Australia, even though Australia is illegal. I wear driving gloves.
Speaker 4: Oh yes, you just you are just like my Japanese mother.
Speaker 5: Honestly, she sounds like a queen.
Speaker 2: She had.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she was wearing like big sun hats with like the the Vstiviano face shield. Yeah, I like back in like nineteen ninety and and back then they didn't have driving gloves like in the US, like how they were selling in Japan, so she would wear golf gloves as like her. So she had these like white leather golf gloves, and my my friends thought she was like a drug addict.
Speaker 4: She like picked us up like if the fuck is up with her?
Speaker 3: I'm like, bro, you don't understand, man, She's that's why she's gonna look like twenty years young exactly.
Speaker 5: And now everybody's probably like, is your mom in her forties?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like people like.
Speaker 3: Are blown away when I tell people my mom's like a nerd. I won't say your age, mom, but they're blown away.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah, she already sounds stunning.
Speaker 3: She takes care of her skin, you know, the same thing that fair skin. You know what I mean, you gotta take care.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 6: I just I like, that's one of my passions outside of you know, sex and relationships, Like I'm obsessss in skincare. Well, it's the largest organ in our body, thank you. So I mean I don't I don't know. Like when we talk about like self love and self care, I feel like that's a really good, great place to start. And now it's habitual for me. But I do think like if you can build in a routine, even if it's small, it's that time that you're basically saying like I love you and I'm taking care of you.
Speaker 5: And is this really hokey?
Speaker 3: This is really I only recently started using like moisturizer with a little bit of SPF in it. For the longest time, I'm like I'm good, I'm black and Asian. Look at this skin, baby, it ain't going.
Speaker 5: Nowhere honestly, probably not.
Speaker 3: But then but then other people were like, behold up. They're like, if you really want to start time traveling though, like if you start taking care of your shit like this, then like whatever. And for the longest time I had this really weird idea, like in my mind that like, you know, it's really toxic shit, Like you know, I'm a man, like I don't have to fucking do this kind of shit. And I was like, this is stupid because I have a fucking skin like everybody. And once I just got this little you know, get out the shower or whatever, start my day, put my little face moisturizer on, you know, I feel I feel good.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: But okay, so now you've been doing it, right, does it make you feel like a little more accomplished or like that you are taking an extra step to just like love yourself or respect yourself in any way you can honestly say no.
Speaker 3: If it's no, I mean it's not that like I think of it explicitly as like self love or anything like that, but it feels like I'm being responsible to the vessel that my spirit is embodying, you know what I mean, Like I'm taking care of taking care of my spaceship there.
Speaker 1: Yes, speaking of space ships, my wife has like one of the face shields that looks like Darth Vader's mask. And I never feel more like I'm in the future than when she is rolling around with one of those.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, yess where does she wear it?
Speaker 1: Uh, basically when she's driving around, when she's out out of doors during the summer. Yeah, on a walk and again skin looking good.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I have a couple of those. They look like, Uh, I'm like kind of in like daft punk.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Daft punk, Yeah, yeah, like that, but like the County Fair cover band version.
Speaker 5: Yeah a hundred a hundred.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I went on a hike in Tahoe wearing one, and I swear to god, people thought it was famous just because it was like right.
Speaker 5: They're like, who is this psycho with a shield on?
Speaker 1: I think I think they should lean into those and those should come with like a little voice mod or something like that so it sounds like you're like, you know, speaking through like auto tune or something.
Speaker 2: Just to like.
Speaker 1: Have like a little like red like light display at the bottom. That like makes it seem like you're kit from a night.
Speaker 5: Rider, you know, yes, yes, love it all.
Speaker 1: Right, Well, we're gonna take a quick break to uh beat out the finer points of of that idea and get it into market, and then we'll be right back to talk about some.
Speaker 2: News and we're back.
Speaker 1: We're back, and these these Supreme Court justices, it's equal opportunity fuckery.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, this is the thing.
Speaker 3: So it's not it's not left or right, you know, at the end of the day in DC, because in DC, everybody's doing the most. Everybody's trying to get there, you know what I mean. And there's a story about Justice Sonya Soda my Or that cropped up last week but was drowned out due to the you know, cacophony that is DC news. And while people were obviously rightfully focused on like Justice Thomas and Harlan Crowe and Alito and Paul Singer, Justice Soda my Ra was also in a bit of controversy. Although it is legal, I'll preface it with that. So the AP reported that for years her her staffers have been doing like a full court press on public institutions to buy hundreds, if not thousands, of copies of her books. Like you're like, you need to buy these right now. You want to go speak at that college, You want to go speak at the college, you better buy ten thousand copies of this fucking book.
Speaker 1: The library better be made of these books. The walls should be just these books. They say, it was anyone's reading them.
Speaker 3: It was described as often the implicit price of a speaking appearance by sodamayor at a law school or a library, and as a result, she's earned a three point seven million dollar advance from her memoir, and during her fourteen years on the Supreme Court, she's made just about as much money money from her books as her government salary, which is around two eighty five k year. Michigan State University spent one hundred thousand dollars to buy the memoir, with copies sent to the Supreme Court for autographing before Sodamayer spoke on campus in twenty eighteen, and then when she was going to speak at like an event in Portland, Oregon, like for like a book, a kid's book, she was promoting this quote, an anxious Supreme Court aid wrote to a local life library quote is there a reminder going out that people need to purchase a book at the event or bring a book to get into the signing line. Most of the registrants did not purchase books, so you know this is legal. But like, wow, like everybody is hustling up there, huh, Like I think it's It's definitely not the job of a Supreme Court staffer to shake down bookstores and universities for fucking change.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think it's literally the job of a publicist, isn't.
Speaker 1: It, right, Right, They're just like interns, like media interns. This person who graduated at the top of their like you know, one of the top law schools in the land, graduated at the top of their class, and three months later they're like, a, I'm gonna need you to buy more of those books, because right, this is that look for me, because like.
Speaker 6: When I graduated at the top of Georgetown, I didn't think I was going to be harassing librarians across the United States.
Speaker 3: Hey what, and it better be the second edition. If people put up with the first edition, they're not getting it. Okay, first, it is what it is. There's a typo on page forty two. Now again, this is, like I said, it's legal. And the other thing that's like wild is right, Supreme Court justices make two hundred and eighty five four hundred dollars per year and they retire at full pay. So you're like, isn't this in Like you know what I would have done. I would have done one fucking year in the Supreme Court and I would have retired with that.
Speaker 4: Right, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: All right? Not for me?
Speaker 1: Has anyone ever done the not for me? Like the Pope did that one time, Like yeah.
Speaker 3: The German Pope did. Yeah, the German controversy too. Anyway, So again you're like you're kind of thinking, like isn't this enough. People point out that justice suitor who she like replaced, like is like doesn't do shit, Like he's taking his retirement. He lives in New Hampshire and that's it, Like that's just that's it. He's not doing anything else. And again, this is pretty much the norm at the Supreme Court since like earning book money isn't explicitly prohibited, so that's why a lot of them do it. Clarence Thomas is like raked in a million dollars from book pursuits Neil Gorsich has brought in nine hundred thousand dollars since he joined the court in twenty seventeen. But Amy Cony Barrett, she signed a two million dollar book deal in twenty twenty one.
Speaker 5: So kills because cults are super popular.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, oh yeah, except like, can you please blow the door open, the lid off the cult you're in.
Speaker 4: She's like, no, I'll talk.
Speaker 3: Around it in the room with us right now. And this pale is in comparison obviously to the shit going on with Clarence Thomas and Alito, but it helps to like serve as a reminder of what is motivating people up there. It's been clear for some time that DC is no longer a place where people go to legislate, like on behalf of constituents. It's a place where you go to get rich. You think about how many of these fucking people, especially in Congress, were making money off of stocks.
Speaker 4: After getting a COVID.
Speaker 3: Briefing, they were like, oh yeah, okay, we got to do all this because like we got some information before the market does. And it's now a point where even like people that you know, we traditionally we were perceiving as like these ideological purists are also people that are just watching everyone around them get rich on Capitol Hill and they start just thinking, Okay, yeah, I'm having that right, and yeah, it's shouldn't be so surprising now, Like it's it's just not enough to be powerful, Like wealth is also like you know, what makes the world go around.
Speaker 6: That's why we're in the labor strike. Yeah, and I don't just mean Hollywood, I mean just everywhere. Like that's because I think people regardless of party are like, you know what, I don't think I want to be busting my ass, while people at the top are just kind of like swapping millions back.
Speaker 1: And forth forcing me to buy their book. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I don't even.
Speaker 3: Read for books.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, I mean it's it's such a bummer. It's it's I don't know, it's dark.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I and again I think, but it helps, you know, to kind of begin to jettison like this idea that that these people are in it for anything other than themselves or you know, I get that some people are trying to do right, but but what the mainstream up there is people realize when you work on the Hill, you work in DC in any capacity, that means that gives you can you can turn that into a very lucrative career, and a lot of people do it while they are in office, while most you know, once they leave office or whatever, then they can turn that into a sweet consulting dealer or some shit.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I used to be really involved in politics. I stepped off of two boards in the last couple of years.
Speaker 6: I don't want to say too much, but I guess what I will say is I did it for my mental health because things started to just what you're talking about, and also feeling like every day it was life or death, and I was like, you know what, I can't take this on anymore. I have to start like creating some boundaries in my life because it truly was ruining my mental health.
Speaker 1: Yeah for sure.
Speaker 4: I mean, yeah, I worked in I was a lobbyist for a number of years.
Speaker 3: And I thought, so you know, yeah, yeah, yeah, And I was just like, now I'm done. I'll do comedy the same thing. I was like, I'd rather be I think comedy is better.
Speaker 5: At least these psychos come with jokes.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I mean we saw this with a private equity story, like when we kind of dove deep into the private equity industry. Like, how many of those kind of invisible companies that are massive and basically control how business is done in this country form like names you recognize because of their jobs, either in the Trump administration or in the Obama administration. Doesn't there they're all employing the same like business managers and you know investors, they're not. There's not like one for liberal people with good, you know, good intentions. I think they're all kind of have the same strategist working to like build their personal wealth.
Speaker 2: Probably.
Speaker 6: It's just like it kind of goes back to I don't know how you guys feel about this, but if I walk into a party and there are people I don't fuck with at that part, I still don't fuck with them.
Speaker 5: I don't care that we're at the same party.
Speaker 6: And I'm not saying that you have to be rude or whatever, but I truly do have like a line that I follow, and it's just kind of how I lead my life. So when I see people who have said awful things to each other or they hold diametrical like opposing views and then they're chopping it up, laughing whatever, I'm like, are you this is all this is a joke.
Speaker 5: This is just like a ruse.
Speaker 6: Because if I said something highly offensive about one of you and then we ran into each other at coffee, I would expect you to be like, I don't see you, right, You're invisible to me.
Speaker 4: But now we're making money. Baby, you know what that means. Good to see.
Speaker 3: You know that was great.
Speaker 4: You know those shots you fired, that was cool. You know I'm coming back to got a book coming out. Good to see.
Speaker 3: And then they'll have the same agent.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, that's what happens.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, let's take another quick break and we'll be right back to talk Disney World and other bullshit. And we're back and all right. So there have been countless breathless reports about how attendance at Disney parks has plummeted in recent weeks. Apparently nobody is at disney World, which is so empty this summer. So just some headlines from CNN, nobody was there? What's behind the summer slump at disney World in the Universal Studios, Why Disney World is so empty this summer? Disney World hasn't felt this empty in years?
Speaker 2: From the Wall Street Journal.
Speaker 1: And so of course Rondes Santa's right wing outlets are attributing this to Disney's woke agenda, and Breitbart argued the fact that Disney has openly embraced grooming is a factor, which that's.
Speaker 3: Just like not even oh whatever, yeah, I get it, yes, right, I mean, first of all, we don't we actually don't know how many people.
Speaker 1: This is all based on, like you can look at the lines in Disney World and be like.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, wait times, yeah.
Speaker 1: Wait times, and so it's all anecdotal, the anecdotal and based on wait times. So I mean, one thing that's even in the people who are giving like actual thought to this, they're not mentioning the fact that it's we're going through an unprecedented heat wave right now. But yeah, recession, heat wave, you know, none of those things.
Speaker 3: Okay, Joe Byron said, it's not. Yeah, And those unemployment numbers look great unless you have a job and you're like, well, why do I need three of them?
Speaker 1: So yeah, I mean even the Wall Street Journal is acknowledging that the real reason, and this should be surprising to no one who's actually taken two seconds to think about this is capitalism. So Disney like has been jacking up their prices, they limited eliminated free amenities, and a lot of people are pissed or have simply been like priced out of going, Like they raised the cost of their theme park tickets twice in twenty twenty two alone. There they were like, yeah, we're gonna We're gonna do that again. It wasn't enough, you guys, weren't pain enough. And there's actually a really good chart that our writer Jam put in the story of just what the pricing looks like over the past fifty years, and like compared to wages, Yeah, compared to national average wage index. And up until the early eighties it was like kind of at the same level, and then you know, mid eighties it starts taking off, and then over the last five ten years it is it has just it's no longer like a curve. It's just a line that goes straight up, like, yeah, it looks like upwards.
Speaker 4: It looks like a drawing of like the state of Idaho.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, yeah, you know, it's like the tip of West Virginia, right exactly?
Speaker 4: Is that what happened there? It's called greed.
Speaker 3: It's wild though, too, because man, I remember when I was a kid, Disneyland was some shit you could like go to, you know what I mean, Like, especially if you're like a south southern California resident. I remember, like the commercials were like thirty nine dollars, which was not cheap like in the nineties, but still nowhere near now where it's like you got like one ninety on you.
Speaker 6: Thirty nine that's not even You can't even go to the movies for that now right in.
Speaker 3: A park at the movies for dollars, right, real, real, yeah, for real.
Speaker 1: But the really fucked up thing is that this is actually part of Disney's plan. Like they're raising their prices to price people out because they want attendance to drop, because they make more money that way. Because with like it's not like nobody's going, it's just slightly fewer people come. Like the thing that we're looking at, it's like the lines are usually an hour and a half at this time, but they're actually slower, you know, they're they're in the reasonable range that allows more people to do more things when they're there. It's only very rich people who can go, who can like pay the price of admission. It allows those really rich people to just have more physical space to operate and the thing that they do when they're in those parks is spend just shitloads of money.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, they got their whole island per capitist spending, like yeah, that's the model.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's all they talk about in their earnings calls is per capita spending. And that's like they actually discovered this accidentally during the pandemic that like the parks were much more sparsely attended yea, and when they were, like per capita spending just like shot up, and so they were like, oh holy shit, it's like they buy eight more turos when there's less so many turos.
Speaker 5: Honestly, if nobody's watching, I would eat more turos too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love I love true.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Okay, question though, does Disney still have the death grip on kids that it did when we were growing up?
Speaker 2: It does?
Speaker 1: It does because they have Star Wars that like, you don't have a lot of options. I mean you have like Universe, like you have the the Minions, but that's also the fucked up thing, like I don't have to be rooting for the fucking Minions and Universal.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, yeah, no minions options.
Speaker 3: Look what it's done to us. I mean, but you think about too, right, people fucking go into debt to go into Disneyland. Yeah, you know what I mean, because like it for the longest time has been dangled in front of American families as sort of like the pinnacle of family vacations is like going to Disney World.
Speaker 4: We're going to Disneyland.
Speaker 3: And when you add a flights, hotel, food multiple days there, like that's that shit is not cheap. And that's what it's like so odd that their strategy is like not even to like keep keep the park to be like this place where you know, like many people want to go and are able to.
Speaker 4: And I'm like, now, man, we got to keep these broke motherfuckers out because they're not spending enough.
Speaker 5: So the hottest the hottest club in LA is now Disneyland.
Speaker 4: Seriously. Yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 5: They're gonna add velvet ropes.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's like I tried to get a Dole whip by the Jungle Cruise ride, but they said my ratios were all fucked up.
Speaker 5: When I was in line, I wasn't on the list.
Speaker 4: Yeah, They're like, na, man, some more females bro.
Speaker 2: My mom.
Speaker 5: That would really that would really set the right off.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, yeah, but yeah, I.
Speaker 2: I travel with a lot of girls.
Speaker 1: That turns out, uh no it and speaking of dolps, it doesn't receive as much attention. But like everything within the parks has gotten way more expensive. They've just been quietly helping the prices of their merchandise sometimes like what one item has like reportedly doubled in recent years, Yeah, well I guess a bunch of items have doubled, and and yeah, it's just fucked up. It's the whole it's the whole point of what they're doing. They're doing it on purpose. This is not surprising to them when they see the shorter lines. It's just kind of if the.
Speaker 3: If the whole fucking if conservatives weren't so fucking obsessed with like gay bashing and ship right now, they'd have like an argument that would have a more populist appeal by saying, do you understand what Disney is doing to people right now? Yeah, they are trying to fuck you over, and they are trying to wring you out for every single fucking dollar you have because that benefits them as a business. But because they're also like of that mindset, they're like, oh, it's because it's because they're woke, and I can't There's no way I could articulate that what they're doing is price gouging, because that's what that's kind of the norm right now, and we're not the party of.
Speaker 4: Calling that out.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And it's also like they would have to admit that they vote against their own interest.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I if you are a Republican and you are really really wealthy, I get it.
Speaker 5: I truly get it.
Speaker 6: You know, like, do I think it's cool that you're prioritizing your bank account over the rights of other human beings. No, that's just not my vibe because I'm not evil. But when people, when the majority of the party that doesn't actually qualify for those tax breaks or any of that, try to claim that this is the party that sees them, I'm like, wow, yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, they see their grievances with you know, like racial equity or other societal you know, movements towards equity that are happening around them, they're like, yeah, man, we think.
Speaker 4: That's fucked up too. And they're like, okay, okay, I like that.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 6: Well, then let's talk about the fact that California and New York basically subsidize most of the middle of the country.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, that's the thing.
Speaker 3: I think this is all part of the the chaos of like living in this country especially and like and having to toil nonstoff. Yeah, just you'll people don't get a break to fucking like wait for the dust to settle and like look around them. And when they did in the beginning, like at the at the start of the pandemic, people are.
Speaker 4: Like, oh shit, they're figuring it out. Theyke them go back to work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so's yeah, that's true.
Speaker 4: It's hard. It's hard. It's hard out here.
Speaker 1: It is hard out here for all of us. All right, And finally, let's talk about what's on everyone's mind. Are you allowed to wear shorts on a plane?
Speaker 2: Doesn't know?
Speaker 3: Okay, so okay, interesting, I'm not I'm not here to say one way or the other, but apparently this is most people seem to be of the.
Speaker 4: Belief that you can only wear pants on a plane.
Speaker 3: And this debate has only sparked up recently because of all the heat that like people are experiencing. People are like anecdotally talking about how they're stuck on a tarmac in a plane with like no air conditioning and how hot it is, and they're like, fuck, I'm wearing jeans in here, Like what the fuck am I doing? Other people are like, I will wear shorts because when I get off the plane, I'm going somewhere hot and I don't want to be wearing pants.
Speaker 4: I want to acclimate quickly.
Speaker 3: Well, the people who say you cannot wear shorts, the main argument just seems to be about hygiene. They're like, yo, planes are fucking gross. Yeah, so don't get your legs on nothing in there. I'm I get why, Like when I've been hot on a plane before and I'm like, fuck, why am I wearing? Like if I wore shorts does have been better? But I also get to jack to your point, cold up there?
Speaker 1: It gets cold up there.
Speaker 3: I guess it's one of those things. Personally, I've always worn pants, but I've never I've never batted an eye at someone that wore shorts.
Speaker 4: On a plane.
Speaker 6: No, neither have I. But I just wanted to be controversial. So and I think optically pants just look better.
Speaker 3: That's like what Larry David said in kurb Oh. You know, there's like there's a scene in kurb where Larry's talking about wearing like not wearing shorts on a plane, and he's like, yeah, bare legs.
Speaker 4: Yeah, not the most not the most appealing thing to look at.
Speaker 5: No, they're not the most appealing thing to look at.
Speaker 6: Also, like I'm just like super neurotic and this idea that like if the plane goes down and I survive, which magical thinking, but I want to have pants on just so that my legs don't get screat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you know, becaukaye, the bottom of your pants turned into a flotation device. Yeah, yeah, of course.
Speaker 4: Totally have you.
Speaker 3: I saw a thing on I think it was like twenty twenty, like in the nineties about fires, fire hazards on.
Speaker 5: I'm obsessed with your memory.
Speaker 6: I don't know if people point that out, but like, you've got an incredible I recall I.
Speaker 4: Talk about this all the time.
Speaker 3: It's just chock full of dumb shit that I don't know if you know, yeah, you know it is what it is. I don't even remember my own son's name.
Speaker 4: I called it. I called it torn this morning. That's not even the fuck was that.
Speaker 3: But like name on it, it's a great name, but on on this thing they were talking about how like people who wear hosiery like the like, because this was how like in the nineties it was. They're like, hosiery will melt to your skin in the event of like an electrical anything and forgive you terrible fucking burns. That's why cotton pants are the safest thing to wear on an airplane in the event of some kind of like fire, heat whatever. And I was like, ever since that, I've been like, oh my god, because I remember seeing this thing where they like melted like like you know, synthetic hosiary to like a mannequin's leg, and they're.
Speaker 4: Like, that's what the fuck will happen.
Speaker 6: I was like, it was really wild in the nineties. But by the way, just as like a tip to anybody listening that does have kids or is an adult that might be accident prone, if you ever do get burned, the thing you're supposed to do is immediately strip down, take all of the clothing off, and run that spot under twenty minutes of continuous cool water.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, just so yeah.
Speaker 5: And also also call nine with one butter that's.
Speaker 2: Better than what I had.
Speaker 3: I butter it up, butter it up, like I butter lay a couple of bacon strips on there and let God do his thing.
Speaker 5: No, you need to stop the burn.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, see they didn't talk about this in the twenty twenty episode. Well maybe, but since then, I also have the same thing of like when I put pants on, like IM getting burned up on.
Speaker 5: That exactly exactly.
Speaker 3: So I guess we all bring our own neurosis onto our clothing choices. Yeah, yeah, Jack, what about you?
Speaker 4: It's just purely for the cold.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just I think it's purely for the cold.
Speaker 2: I haven't thought that much.
Speaker 1: I am very aware of how dirty planes are. But I also don't wear my driving gloves on the plane, you know, So that's I don't like it for people who are concerned about their legs touching dirty things, how are they oprading with their hands?
Speaker 5: Who?
Speaker 6: I mean, I date men like this whole conversation is really like a moot point for me, because I'm yeah, I put terrible things in my mouth all the time.
Speaker 5: I mean, if we're being really.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, well I.
Speaker 3: Mean you did. I mean, I guess you would say that it's a secondary or tertiary concern considering that you searched like s c I rates and toxicity is two and three.
Speaker 4: So right, I get that. It's like you bugging me that much.
Speaker 6: But yeah, dar well okay those are related to the show. But yes, but I I.
Speaker 5: I'm also interested in those topics.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, but I get it too, Like you can't. I know the idea too where it's like, sure it's dirty up there, but like if you really want to apply that, like then you got to be consistent with your threat assessment.
Speaker 4: Because yeah, where's filthy and I am not.
Speaker 5: And it's like so weird when we're like very into things that are dirty versus things that are not.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, like it's just wild. I mean I mean food off the fucking ground. Yeah, like regularly, you know, like.
Speaker 2: Like almost as a rule, it's weird.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, well I'm like, oh someone who drops I'm like, sirre you dropped that pepperoni size?
Speaker 4: Can I have it?
Speaker 6: You?
Speaker 4: Thank you?
Speaker 3: Ah, that's why people stay broke, you know what I mean, because people dropping money.
Speaker 4: All over the place.
Speaker 6: Okay, but maybe that's also how you're not getting sick that often because your immune system is on X mode.
Speaker 7: Yeah, goblin modelin mode. Yeah, my hack for this is just when you're on the plane. If you're wearing shorts, do not use your calves and shins to eat the food only when you're on the plane.
Speaker 2: Just use your.
Speaker 1: Hands instead and wash those you have like a nice hand sanitizer.
Speaker 4: Or if your shorts are short, your hamstrings.
Speaker 1: Yeah, once you get back to the airport, you can start using your calves and shins again to consume food as we all do. Oh my god, well, Rory, it's been such a pleasure having you.
Speaker 5: Yeah podcast, Thank you guys.
Speaker 2: Where can people find you? Follow you all that good stuff?
Speaker 6: I would prefer it if you don't follow me in real life, but if you'd like to follow me online, it would be at I could be blonder on Instagram, okay, which is my aim name from when I was twelve. And then I have a podcast called Crimes the Heart where I take like the craziest dating stories you've ever heard in your life and I turn them into true crime reenactments. Nice I discussed with friends, and then I also interview you know.
Speaker 5: Experts, like non toxic condom experts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is there a workimedia you've been enjoying?
Speaker 6: Ooh, I posted something yesterday that made me laugh. Does it is that like lame? Because I posted it?
Speaker 5: I mean I didn't write it. Okay.
Speaker 6: It said these can't be the men that Dolly was begging Jolie not to steal. I thought that was really funny.
Speaker 1: I also love Dolly the best miles Where can people find you? Is there workimedia you've been enjoying?
Speaker 3: Uh, find me at miles of Gray wherever they got at symbols including threads, motherfuckers, and I'm posting shit, not any shit that you won't get on Twitter. Like yesterday, my dad called the Mandalorian called it the Macronome. I don't know where the fuck that shit came from. It's just from an alternate universe, like that Timeline.
Speaker 4: He's like that show.
Speaker 3: He's like, don't tell me the mah the Manda mac the macronome. It sounds like a cookie from like that Robots, Oh yeah, or like a MacBook Chrome.
Speaker 4: Like that's like a thing that's all put.
Speaker 3: Together anyway, all that to say, check me out over there and yeah, that's uh, that's that's me. Oh and also find me on the new podcast The Good Thief. A new episode dropped yesterday it's a true crime podcast I'm hosting. And then find Jack andren Our basketball podcasts. And if you like ninety day Fiance, catch me and Sophia Alexandra getting high on four to twenty Day Fiance talking about ninety day. A tweet that I like, Oh so this is wild this. I saw this, this story about how like Imax theaters are using a palm pilots. Okay, but this is a tweet about it, well from yeah sorry, hold on. Tom Barber at tour bar tweeted, So apparently Imax theaters ran off palm pilots for the quick turn reel unit and nowadays rather than having a run off a micro controller or PC or Raspberry pie or iPad, they just run a palm os emulator.
Speaker 2: So I gonna change it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like so like this is like a picture of like a fucking iPad that they just meant to like mimic the fucking Pom pilot.
Speaker 4: Wow, They're like, no, we got it. Just it ain't fucking.
Speaker 1: Broke, don't think.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I love seeing those things where you're like, we're not moving on from this. It works, it's fun.
Speaker 2: They're coming back to leave us.
Speaker 1: Oh well, we're gonna switch now and then tomorrow the pomp pilot comes back and who's gonna.
Speaker 2: Look like an idiot? Then?
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: You can find me on Twitter at Jack Underscore O'Brien and on threads at Jack Underscore, Oh Underscore. Brian tweet I've been enjoying Doctor Bucky. I is the Tope, man of the people at Bucky Eyes.
Speaker 2: The Tope tweeted when.
Speaker 1: I die, put two Oreo double stuffed cookies on my eyes, so hell knows a true warrior is coming.
Speaker 2: Find us on twit.
Speaker 1: Are at Daily Zeikeeist. We're at the Daily Zeikeeist on Instagram. We have a Facebook fan page and our website daily zeikeist dot com where we post our episodes and our footnotes where we link off to the information that we talked about in today's episode, as well as a song that we think you might enjoy. Miles, is there a song you think people might enjoy? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, We're gonna go out on this artist Cartoons. We did a tract I feel like a few months ago, but it's this guy who's like a really dope bass player producer, and this track is called ellipsis like dot dot dot Taurus like the sign T A U R U S. Yeah. Just check it out, just go. It's like just really nice, smooth like R and B well produced.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, good good.
Speaker 3: Song to warm me up for the weekend.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, The Daily Zeikes is the production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from My Heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: App, Apple Podcasts, or.
Speaker 1: Wherever you listen to your favorite shows. That's going to do it for us this morning, back this afternoon to tell you what is trending and we will talk to y'all then bye bye bye