Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central. Wow, your children's education. Nothing is more important. You want them to learn enough to do well in the world, but not so much that they can win arguments with you. But what are they really learning in school? How Madrigal followed this eye opening story.
Speaker 2: Across the country, public education is failing, but in Arizona, lawmakers have found the solution to the biggest problem facing their schools. Arizona's Governor Jan Brewer just approved of build banning ethnic studies classes in public schools, and using this new law, the Tucson School Board banned the K through twelve Mexican American Studies program. School board member Michael Hicks.
Speaker 3: My concern was a lot of the radical ideas that they were teaching in these classes, telling these kids that this is their land, the whites took it over, and the only way to get out beneath the gringo, which is the white man, is by bloodshed.
Speaker 4: When you sat in on these classes, what types THO.
Speaker 3: I chose not to go to any of their classes? Why even go? Why even go? I base my thoughts on hearsay from others, So I based off of those.
Speaker 2: With powerful evidence, like hearsay. The Tucson School Board had little choice but to end the Mexican American Studies program, protecting kids from dangerous teachers like Curtis Acosta.
Speaker 5: Our students are much more likely to graduate and go to college. Their test scores have improved, and most of all, they're excited about education so they can pursue it in their future lives.
Speaker 2: And you do that by teaching them to hate white people.
Speaker 5: We don't teach them to hate white people. What we're trying to do is provide a more complex version of what has happened in our past, so that our students are engaged and they can ask themselves critical questions and build their own understanding.
Speaker 2: Critical thinking more like critical brainwashing. And it gets worse.
Speaker 3: They would every week go out and buy burritos and feed these kids. What No, What that does is that builds a more of a bond between the teacher and the students.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm loyal to this guy because he bought me burrito.
Speaker 6: Yes, right, you slip your burritos to kids, don't you.
Speaker 5: Why would be giving food to our youths be something that frowned upon.
Speaker 6: When the program goes away, the burritos go away.
Speaker 2: That's why these kids are upset.
Speaker 6: No mass burritos.
Speaker 5: It's pretty offensive.
Speaker 2: And now that they've eradicated Mexican American Studies from the schools, they can focus on other ethnicities.
Speaker 3: Honestly, this law won't be applied to any other of our courses. It was strictly written for one course, which is the Mexican American Studies program. And nobody has complained about any of the pan Asian or any of the other courses that are being taught.
Speaker 2: What about the African American Studies program.
Speaker 3: The African American Studies program is still there. It's not teaching the resentment of a race or class of people.
Speaker 4: I'm a black kid.
Speaker 2: Try to teach me about slavery without me feeling resentment towards white people.
Speaker 3: How am I going to teach you about slavery?
Speaker 7: Slavery was how did I end up here?
Speaker 3: Slavery was a okay? Now I got to figure out how, okay the white man did bring over the African What kind of jobs do we do? The jobs that you guys did was basically slavery jobs.
Speaker 6: So after we were freed, we got.
Speaker 3: To vote yes, you got well, you didn't get to vote until later, and we were equal, almost equal.
Speaker 8: What we were like sort of a half or three fifths.
Speaker 3: My personal perception of it, I would say, you're probably a quarter.
Speaker 2: The more he taught me about black history, the more I realized Arizona has figured out the right way.
Speaker 4: To teach it.
Speaker 3: We now have a black man as a president. You know, Rosa Clark did not take on a gun and go on to a bus and hold up everybody.
Speaker 2: Sadly, the peaceful lessons of Rosa Clark are lost on the radical reactionaries teaching Mexican American studies.
Speaker 5: I think this is a great country. In some countries, I might be actually locked up for teaching the way I have, and while in this country, I've just banned from doing it.
Speaker 8: I'm very close to getting locked up.
Speaker 2: Until then, Arizona's children can count on professional educators like Michael Hicks to protect them. Do you think it'll be okay for the school district to have a Mexican American studies program when the district is one hundred percent Latino. No, But at that point there'll be no white people left.
Speaker 3: Well, if there's if there's no more white people in the world than Okay, then you can do what you want.
Speaker 2: Oh, don't worry, mister Hicks. We will and we will.
Speaker 1: How magic older, I got quick question? Are you white? If so? Last Friday's Digital May unemployment figures were bad, but not minority bad.
Speaker 9: The persistent unemployment you have in the black community fourteen percent compared to whites, which is seven percent Latino community eleven percent unemployment to whites seven percent?
Speaker 1: Wow, double digit unemployment for blacks and Latinos. That could really hurt Obama's chances amongst well, just the Latinos. I mean, you know what. Let's be Frank for more on this return to senior Latino economic analyst Al Magical, Al, thanks for joining us OL. Does eleven percent in the Latino community put the Latino community in play for this election?
Speaker 8: I mean it may, but even eleven percent pales in comparison to the ninety eight point seven percent unemployment Latinos face elsewhere?
Speaker 1: Well ninety eight where right here?
Speaker 8: John, show business.
Speaker 2: Television unit is.
Speaker 1: Your Latino and you have a job in show business?
Speaker 8: Yes, I have the job, John, do me a favorite. Try to name one other Latino on television?
Speaker 1: Oh all right, let's uh not Heroldo.
Speaker 8: Okay, oh uh, ps was canceled.
Speaker 7: Johnny is Whitney.
Speaker 1: No either of the Broke.
Speaker 2: Girls you think so?
Speaker 7: But no.
Speaker 8: Desperate Housewives with Evil Longoria that was canceled.
Speaker 1: The secis guy. Oh yeah, yeah, interesting man.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 8: You know what the most interesting thing is about that guy? He's a real name is Jonathan Goldsmith?
Speaker 10: Yes, all right?
Speaker 1: Oh okay. Sophia Virgara Modern Family hit show lead role.
Speaker 8: Now that does not count because she's hot first Latina second.
Speaker 7: Yeah yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 8: Degrading stuff, stereo hype stuff. Latino actors are reduced to hanging out in front of a home depot on Lo Sienaga, waiting for a producer to pull up with some day work. Next thing, you know, you're playing a house painter who can't do anything right now.
Speaker 11: You said, paint the whole house. Aren't the windows part of the house? A yay, I'm sorry.
Speaker 10: Who painted the windows?
Speaker 1: It's good writing, but you really brought it to life. It was all right forget sitcoms. What about dramatic roles?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean at this point, Latinos would be lucky to get cast as the second guy killed in some crazy ass space flick.
Speaker 2: Don't worry, guys, I'll check out the cave.
Speaker 12: He's gone, my leg.
Speaker 1: Oh what about what about univision? Uh, telenovis and stuff like that?
Speaker 4: Would you just say.
Speaker 1: What Telenovella's the univision the Telenovella's.
Speaker 8: I don't speak Spanish and for a generation.
Speaker 5: Thank you?
Speaker 1: How madrigal? Everybody, We'll be right back.
Speaker 10: Are you good?
Speaker 7: The Senate had finally approved comprehensive immigration reform, leaving it up to the House to push it through, which is basically like asking your cat to take care of your goldfish while you're away. Nothing good is going to happen there, So is this bill going to beam weete?
Speaker 4: On arrival today, the Republican Speaker of the House said immigration reform is not dead, even though he appeared to drive a stake through the bipartisan compromise that was passed by the Senate.
Speaker 7: Ooh, a steak. So that bill's not dead, it's undead. And actually that explains why John Bayiner has been dressing like blade lately. Of course, jeopardizing the immigration bill could put some Republicans in a tough spot. Not morally, they truly don't care about that, but much more importantly politically.
Speaker 8: I bet Republicans who are thinking about running for president in twenty sixteen might be working well.
Speaker 3: Republicans know they need this.
Speaker 1: If you want to be president azed States, you have to do better with Latinos than Rannie Did.
Speaker 7: You have to do better with Latinos than Mitt Romney?
Speaker 10: Oh?
Speaker 7: That is a low bar, my friend. That's like saying, look, I'm just looking for something tastier than Arby's. So so will Republicans pay a penalty for obstructing this bill? For the answer, we turn to senior Latino correspondent Al Madrigal. Ow, you are Latino. How is the failure of this bill going to affect your vote?
Speaker 8: John?
Speaker 4: That is offensive?
Speaker 8: You know, I'm so sick of people treating Latinos like some homogeneous group that all feel the same way about everything. And you know what, it's even offensive that you'd have me cover this.
Speaker 9: Because I'm Latino.
Speaker 7: Well, to be fair, ol you all these senior Latino correspondence.
Speaker 8: You're right, and I'm also the junior Latino correspondent. You know why because I'm the only Latino correspondent on this show, not just now but also ever. All Right, I can't speak for all Latinos. Stop throwing us all together like some sort of Puerto Rica Minnican text mes buffet, which is not a thing, but it should because it sounds too much.
Speaker 2: Let me explain and take a look at this chart.
Speaker 7: See, these are.
Speaker 8: The top issues for a group I'm referring to as all people. Now compare that to the top issues for Latino people.
Speaker 2: Well, hold on.
Speaker 7: Hold, how can we can we just look at those two charts together because that seems to be exactly the same charts.
Speaker 8: Well, yeah, but I mean ours is in a spicier font and if you zoom in a little you'll see ours includes ultimate fighting and pigeon racing.
Speaker 7: Okay, yeah, that's sure, Sure, I get it. But that's let's let's be fair just for a second. Now, Even if there is diversity among Latinos, you, you guys are still politically identified as one group.
Speaker 2: But we shouldn't be.
Speaker 8: That's like lumping all Europeans together.
Speaker 2: What if I called you Irish?
Speaker 7: Hey, hey, hey, hey, that's offensive that we are very different, and there's also some complicated history between us. We don't look alike, we don't sound alike.
Speaker 8: Okay, I mean what if I said you were exactly the same as the French.
Speaker 7: Oh really, you take that back or we'll cut off. I got it, I got it, I got it.
Speaker 12: Say thank you, Okay.
Speaker 8: That's how a Puerto Rican feels when you call them Dominican, or how a Panamanian feels when you call them Honduran.
Speaker 11: Let me prove it to you.
Speaker 8: I went out to the street and I spoke to real Latinos about how they feel about other Latinos. Well, Latinos are all the same, except for you know, like the Mexicans.
Speaker 12: Really, I usually have issues with like Argentinians.
Speaker 5: Dominicans and Puerto Ricans don't know how to speak Spanish.
Speaker 10: Chilean's man, I don't dig those cats.
Speaker 2: Man, they be eating too much mayo and stuff.
Speaker 8: I can't be eating with them, you know what I mean. Chileans love mayonnaise.
Speaker 6: Chileans love mayonnaise.
Speaker 2: And that's the reason not to like them.
Speaker 10: That is a big reason.
Speaker 12: I think Gualamalins have a funny name to begin with.
Speaker 8: And my friend, when he was tiny, he used to say that he was from Wu La Mala.
Speaker 7: Arnold Schwarzeneger saying.
Speaker 8: La, I've had the same jar of mayonnaise and my refrigerator for like a seriously, two or three years.
Speaker 10: Nah, man, I have it chile in there will be gone in two days.
Speaker 7: What fucker I'm gonna tell you how. I have no idea. I had no idea the situation was that serious.
Speaker 8: Yeah, the Chilean mayonnaise thing is crazy. Third per capita in the world for male consumption after Russia and the US. Clearly, these crazy Chileans think the secret to becoming a world.
Speaker 2: Superpower is just eating mayonnaise.
Speaker 8: Hey, guys, do we need a major industry.
Speaker 7: Or a strong minit there right now?
Speaker 10: Just keep it in the Mayday.
Speaker 8: Said, we'll be number one.
Speaker 11: Besides, why are we always trapped in these mines? And do we have any fish to eat besides seabas?
Speaker 7: I I gotta stop you that that is a little bit offensive.
Speaker 12: Yes, and that's my point.
Speaker 8: That's why it's so frustrating when people say Latinos can't assimilate here in America. They've already got the most important part down hating Latinos.
Speaker 7: So you're saying stopping the immigration bill won't necessarily hurt Republicans because they can just appeal to Latinos on other issues.
Speaker 8: Not really, We'll hold a grudge and never forget that. But I do know how Republicans can keep out Chilean immigrants.
Speaker 6: They just send them more mayonnaise.
Speaker 7: That's true. You people do love your mayonnaise.
Speaker 10: Hunh what hey, hey, hey, relax, relax, We'll just calm down.
Speaker 6: You just call me Chilean Frenchye?
Speaker 7: What what's it you dad? I'm not to call everybody foot.
Speaker 1: So we're talking about immigration, hot button issue in the twenty eight and twenty twelve elections, and in the race of twenty sixteen, that buttons only getting hotter.
Speaker 6: Hillary cl And returned to Nevada to rekindle her relationship with Hispanic voters.
Speaker 7: She declared her unequivocal support.
Speaker 6: For a path to citizenship for illegal immigrants.
Speaker 9: We can't wait any longer for a path to full and equal citizenship, So I.
Speaker 1: Said it, am I President?
Speaker 12: Now?
Speaker 1: Or what are we down here? A people?
Speaker 12: TikTok?
Speaker 1: I got meetings.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: Clinton's bold immigration gambit sway Latino voters for the answer. We joined by senior Latino correspondent Not madrigal Ow. Nice to see in, my friend. This is amazing. No candidate has ever offered. No, no mainstream candidates ever offered this much.
Speaker 8: Eh, it's a path to citizenship, solid opening offer, not a bad start, even if her historic immigration speech was delivered in what is clearly the adult circulation room of a public library. I guess she figured, Hey, if this is a good enough place for homeless guys to masturbate in, it's good enough for pannering to Latinos.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Ny, and they thought public libraries wouldn't last in the Internet age. But now, Uh, you don't seem you don't seem inspired, you don't seem.
Speaker 8: It just feels like we've been down this road before.
Speaker 13: I also believe we have to give a pathway to citizenship after they have paid a fine and learned English to those who are already here.
Speaker 8: And what we actually get more deportations than ever before. What I'm saying is Democrats shouldn't expect to get Latino support just because they say all the right things, especially since Republicans finally have a candidate Latinos can call their own.
Speaker 1: That's actually two at two Marco Rubio and Ted Kruz.
Speaker 8: Eh, I guess those guys are technically Latinos. I mean, there's a lot more to being Latino than just being Latino.
Speaker 1: You mean you mean because they're they're weak on immigration there.
Speaker 8: Well, sure, I mean, but mainly because they're Cuban and really a small, and I gotta be honest, a snooty subset. They're like the wasps of the Latino world. They can't expect the bulk of us non Cuban Latinos to go crazy for two Cuban guys who threw away a passed the citizenship for a path to the White House, especially the one who's actually from Canada.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but now I'm confused. So if Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz are not the Latinos in the race, who is the Latino in the Republican rance?
Speaker 6: John, Listen and I will tell you a tale of the legend of a candadive for president who speaks fluent Spanish and as a Mexican wife who raised Mexican children and regularly leads Mexican food And this man is a Republican.
Speaker 7: That's no, it's not possible, John, The legion is real.
Speaker 2: And his name is.
Speaker 1: Yeah Yep, yes, yeah yep.
Speaker 12: Or as we called him, and yeahbe.
Speaker 1: I think actually it's pronounced Jeb Jeb Bush.
Speaker 4: Jeb, why would I say?
Speaker 1: You said?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: B Penis?
Speaker 1: Hey, why did I get that again?
Speaker 6: You got it, John, because you don't believe.
Speaker 8: See, most candidates are scrambling to go after Latinos now. But yeah, Bush started his outreach program in nineteen seventy four. See he literally married into the demographic.
Speaker 1: Well, he married a person, a person who happened to be his wife.
Speaker 8: Columba Bush represents this all, John, and Yeb knows it. Tell me this man doesn't understand the Mexican American soul.
Speaker 13: After church, to go prepare for Sunday Funday. In my house, We'll be cooking ile with beef, and I'll probably make a really good wacamole.
Speaker 8: Ah, you hear how that wacamole rolls off the town. Now, all he has to do is come up with to the table with a meaningful path of citizenship, and he might be the one we've all been waiting for.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he did say wakam ode very well, But I don't know if you notice he also said Sunday Funday.
Speaker 8: Yeah, we really got to work on that.
Speaker 2: It might be the widest thing I've ever heard.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Al, I'm mad you go Everybody.
Speaker 8: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching the Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts. Watch The Daily Show week nights at eleven ten.
Speaker 2: Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on Fairmouth Bluffs.
Speaker 1: This has been a Comedy Central podcast