Speaker 1: Worrying. Today's episode Canade spoilers for The Batman, Matt Reeves, The Batman and the Penguin series on HBO and X so be slightly warned me for one.
Speaker 2: Hello.
Speaker 1: My name is Jason Concepcion and I'm risday Night and welcome back to Extra Vision of the podcast, when we dive deep into your favorite shows, movies, comics and pop culture Coming from My Heart Podcast. We'll bring you three episodes every week Tuesday Thursday, with an extra on Wednesday.
Speaker 2: In today's episode, in the previously on we will be touching on the Other Cinematic Universe. The House of Ideas. Marvel Studios released new trailers for three upcoming projects at its first ever D twenty three Brazil, which is huge. And finally, Disney and marm are recognizing what DC has been recognizing for a while that Brazil has one of, if not the most fervent comic book movie fan culture in the world. Whoo in the airlock, we are going to look at the future of the DC Cinematic Universe post The Joker, post the Penguin, looking at what's been confirmed, who has been cost what do we want to see as we head into twenty twenty five, when we will get that true start of the James Gun ofverse.
Speaker 1: But first, previously on lots of stuff coming out of D twenty three Brazil, you mentioned it D twenty three, their very first D twenty three Brazil as Operation Offset China. The loss of the China market continues apace. First up season three trailer for What If. I was tremendously excited by this wonderful moments Avengers Voltron kind of thing. We saw Storm as the Goddess of thunder with big news that a storm will be voiced by the same actor that voices her in X Men ninety seven. Alison Seely Smith, Yes, great, this looked very exciting to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is really cool. Also very interesting to me because I think something that we've often wondered about is like, when will they start taking from the comics when it comes to What If? Rather than melding stuff from the movies and using it mostly as an mcuvehicle. But the Storm Godess of Thunder stuff is clearly directly taking from like X Men Giant Size Annual nine, which was you know, the storm Goddess of Thunder, which I think for a lot of people was also one of the stories that they remember best from the classic X Men stuff, so I think that's very cool. I love that they got Alison Seely Smith. The X Men ninety two now X Men ninety seven cast have been such a huge proponent of that still having the fandom it does, so they should be casting them. We have Oscar isaacaus Moonnight seemingly as shang Chi, Hailey Seinfeld as Kate Bishop Darcy Seth Green has Howard the Dark Law. I wonder if they're still married. But I think that that's a huge deal because it's doing what they were promising at DC that Marvel's already been doing, crossing over those voices to the animated shows, showing that this is an important part of the future of the MCU. Also, we are getting members of the Eternals. We are getting Door marmu Agatha Kaori, the indigenous character that was created that currently has her own mini series, which is really exciting. Also, there's gonna be another original character addition to Kaori like they did in the last season. It's going to release on December twenty second, with eight episodes releasing daily, which I think will be fun for Christmas. This looks like a big step up from season two to me.
Speaker 1: I agree. I was disappointed in season two.
Speaker 2: I think a lot of people were, Yeah, there were cool moments. Especially, I think that was a tough one because as comic fans, we were looking at like when they were doing Marvel sixteen oh four, We're like, oh my god, is this going to be kind of adapting that really incredible run, and it was a different take on it, and it didn't necessarily feel like it had the cohesion of season one, which really still I think has some standout moments from the MCU, like Evil Strange kind of killing all those different universes and going through all the different weird hearts that he had to eat of different creatures. My nephew still talks about that episode a lot. So I like when they are standalone stories that anyone can watch, but I think that they have more impact when they can cohesively put a through line that is going to connect them. Also, I like them recognizing that Storm is a goddess, that is who she should be. I also like the recognition that, as we have talked about a lot, Storm is really your premiere X man right now, and if you're going to launch an X Men universe and the MCUs and the Avengers. Let's make Storm the focus. So yeah, I think this is exciting. I hope it's a return to form and hopefully it will give us some seeds of what is to come. And hopefully this time they will actually commit to the ideas introduced, because I think something that didn't necessarily work about even the first season, they promised a lot of stuff that seemed like it would easily connect to Multiverse of Madness, and then they reeled it back and we're like, well, it could be that, but it's different. I think we need a full cohesion between the animated stuff and the MCU in the case of.
Speaker 1: WIF completely a great next we got a new Captain America Brave New World trailer with a lot of built out action scenes. We see a lot of easter eggs of things that we've been expecting, including tie in from the end of the Eternals movie, and if you've wondered, like what happened to that celestial we see it in the background of a bunch of shots from this, and we see a lot more Red Hulk stuff.
Speaker 2: We get our first look at his face. He's looking very angry. We see them recreate some moments like cover moments with Red Hulk punching the fist on the shield moment and stuff like that. One thing I really liked about this trailer. I know this is going to sound so small, but JA and I know you will get this. I think it's very smart to do a different typeface. I makes it feel like a totally different tone.
Speaker 3: I agree they use this kind of how would I describe it, like sam seraph like blasted out where it looks It looks like the type of lettering that you would see before, like an educational film at school.
Speaker 1: Exactly, And I think that was really cool. I completely agree with you.
Speaker 2: That it's a totally different tone. Another thing I like, because I'm not gonna lie. We were talking about this before we came on, Like we've heard about the reshoots, the changes they've had to make, and it seems like more than your average because we know that reshoots happen on every movie. And I personally, as an Isaiah Bradley fan who loves the comic that he was originally introduced in, I don't love this idea of him being compromised and stuff. But another thing that I did think was very cool about this trailer for this movie was I love the way that we're finally getting to see Sam actually use his wings, something he barely ever did his falcon and fly. You get that really sick moment at the end where he caught wheels through a car and cuts a car in half. We also get the moment where he does the kind of wing blast when he sets middle and knocks everyone out. I also do really love the line where Thunderbolt Ross says to him, you're not Steve Rodgers, and then Sam says you're right, like I'm not, and it's like, okay, good, Let's see what that means in this context.
Speaker 1: An eighty two year old Harrison Ford playing the President worryingly appropriate. Worryingly appropriate at age eighty two, I think he should run. Now, just do it, bro like you, I think listen. I think this trailer was a step up from what we've seen. I do have concerns that with all the tinkering, and more than tinkering really is, by all accounts, they've gone in and torn up lots of parts of this movie and reshot and rerode et cetera. I do think that the best we can hope for is like a workable Frankenstein's ceiling. But let's see. You know, I am concerned that this will not be yeah that great.
Speaker 2: I think that hopefully they can give Sam Wilson like a movie that he deserves, but it will we are yet to see where it shakes out.
Speaker 1: I will say that I like that they've steered into the established Captain America kind of political thriller Winter Soldier kind of tone. Yes, and I think that's smart.
Speaker 2: I've seen a lot of really good response for that in the comic shop. People were very excited for that. They felt like it was a return to that that kind of Cold War thriller esque moment that's going to feel even more relevant right now. We know that there have been issues with certain characters, and I'm interested to see if they are able to resolve those. We shall see where it goes. But that was not the only trailer, and I think, surprisingly to me, out of the two trailers they showed, the Thunderbolts trailer was the one where you were like, oh, Marvel thinks this is going to be a hit, which I did not think before this.
Speaker 1: I completely agree with you. We get basically a three minute plus almost four minute trailer that includes what appears to be a scene from early on in the film, a complete scene in which Red Guardian is driving his fellows around, including Elena and US agent around in a rental Limo.
Speaker 2: That he that's his job. I guess that's Red Guardian Limo Services, protecting you from a boring evening.
Speaker 1: That's right as Bucky going like almost like full Steve Rodgers nomad vibe drives up with an RPG at.
Speaker 2: The end to save them.
Speaker 1: I think this and this is a lot of material that we saw from the leaks from d twenty three that said this releasing this much. I agree with you, Rosie. The energy is Marvel thinks this is good. Marvel thinks this is a hit.
Speaker 2: This is going to be the big classic free comic book Day movie, as we call it, which is going to be the May release. I will also say again, who's doing the typefaces? Because I love this.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: Nothing that gets me more excited about a movie than someone just putting giant typeface cross the screen. So they introduce each of the characters that way, and we get a lot of humor here that I think it's nice to remember that the Marvel universe has always been funny because of Jon Favreau, because of Robert Downey Jr. And that can change like eternals. I love that movie. Not necessarily a funny movie Depool versus Wolverine, funny movie, but definitely totally different tone. So this definitely feels like a return to that MCU quippiness, but in a way that I personally felt was not annoying. It felt tropy. It felt like they were doing a different version of it. And it's fun to see the banter between them. There's a great couple of great really fun to see, even though you know he is like a terrible person, but that's the nature of the Thunderbolts. I feel like whyatt Russell gets to have those funny moments he did not get to have because the US agent is not funny in the version we saw of him in the TV show. But there was some great chemistry here. I love to see it. Also, we do learn a huge thing here if you are one for the Greater Law, which is that it's clear that Contessa Valentina Alegra d'fontein is the one who bought Avengers Tower. We see her standing in it. She says it's good for optics for the team to have it. There's lots of jokes about Thunderbolts the name. They even do a joke at the end where you get the little we Thunderbolts and everyone looks at Alexi and doesn't like the name, and then when we see it the next time, they've added the asterisks. I'm going to tell you my pitch what I think is going to happen. I think that this team, just like in the comics. I think they will be Valentina's version of the Avengers, and for the movie we will they will be being presented as the Avengers, and then really we know they are a dark Avengers or a Thunderbolt, and I think that will end up being the takeaway and people will be very shocked because, oh my god, it's like an evil Avengers team. But then obviously we'll get like a real Avengers team soon.
Speaker 1: I have a different theory. I like your theory better, but I'm just putting this alternate theory out there because I think it's possible. So one of the characters that we see in this trailer and that we saw in the previous league is this guy who is in Bob, who's in hospital smocks, and it's clear that he's powered up in some way because you see at one point that he's standing in front of these swat teams that are facing him, and he's got all kind of his shirt is all riddled with bullet holes. But he's fine, he's fine. I think it's clear that this Bob is the Century from Marvel definitely. Here's my theory. The Kntessa Valentina Defontaine wants to elevate Bob to the superman that the government can control, and in order to do that, he has to eat up the bad guys who are the Thunderbolts, who she is setting up to be crushed by Bob the Century, so that they can get behind Bob as the propagandistic superman.
Speaker 2: I think that makes a lot of sense, especially because this was giving big suicide squad vibes, So the either of them being set up to present Bob as almost their kind of superman. I think that's very smart and I could definitely see that being the way, and she is not in any way a reliable, trustworthy person for them to be working with, so I'm interested. I was not particularly excited for Thunderbolts, but this trailer did change that. I love a good kind of Last time we had the Pixies, this time we have the Toadies. It was cut really well. It's got a lot of really funny moments. I love that we got Bucky doing the terminator shotgun throw, like that's just epically cool to me. I also like that the way they introduced Bucky is almost like a parody of an eighties movie, Like his hair is rolling in the wind, he's got he's got the sunglasses. I like to see Sebastian stan get his shine. He's been doing a lot speaking of people, doing a lot of interesting choices. He had fresh He's got a different man coming out, which is going to be a big moment for disabled cinema. So I'm very interested to see where this goes. And it's not that long anymore. It's been a while. Yeah, And the fact that we're gonna have three MC movies next year and then multiple TV shows.
Speaker 1: I'm excited. I'm excited to get back on the horse.
Speaker 2: It's crazy, baby. I was thinking when I was watching the Thunderbous Trayla, I was like, twenty twenty five, we're gonna be yappin'. We're gonna be here. We're gonna be yapping about Superman, We're gonna be yapping about Thunderbolts, gonna be yapping about Sam Wilson, and all those TV shows that they recently confound will be coming out next year, like Iron How It's gonna be a crazy year for the comic book heads.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be fun. I also love that this movie is an opportunity for characters like Ghosts, Jehan Common and so.
Speaker 2: I want How to Get Her Shine?
Speaker 1: Yeah, to get like a bigger moment than the moments that they had in their movies. I'm excited for that. And clearly again it seems like Disney thinks that this is a big one, that this is a good one. Okay, next up their Lock, Yeah, next the Airlock. Okay, Rosie, here we go. Let's talk about it.
Speaker 2: Hm.
Speaker 1: The Joker fully Due is out. Quentin Tarantino loves it.
Speaker 2: Oh he does. Good for him. I'm glad I enjoyed it.
Speaker 1: The Penguin has finished in really bleak but incredibly thrilling fashion, and that brings us to the new slate of offerings as the James Gun era fully takes hold and first up December fifth, twenty twenty four Creature Commandos.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's gonna be a very exciting tone setup because it is gonna introduce a lot of characters who, according to James Gunn, will be continuing their roles as live action characters as well as he's seeing the animated series from guns So, we've got India of Varma, love her Game of Thrones, Rome Luthor, She's in so many great things. She's gonna be the Bride who obviously is our Frankenstein's bride style character from what we've seen so far in the trailer, very brutal, efficient killer. We're gonna have Frank Grio's coming from Ageless Ageless Frank Grio. He's coming from the Marvel universe where he was Crossbones and now he's gonna be Rick Flagg Senior, a role that he will quickly be reprising in Peacemaker too, I believe. In addition to that, we're gonna have Viola Davis. Obviously, she has been Amanda Waller for a long time in the DCU. Now I'm glad they're keeping her in there. It's fantastic casting. Sean Gunn he's always in everything. He's gonna be Weasel, and Steve Age, who will be John as we met him in Suicide Squad and Peacemaker. So this is gonna be very interesting. It's basically a soft launch for the DCU because the real big live action launch will be Superman. But I think this is going to be very interesting.
Speaker 1: I'm excited.
Speaker 2: It looks very brutal, looks definitely very Invincible influenced. But DC's had a storied history of fantastic animation, so I think this is going to be really cool.
Speaker 1: And this is Amanda Waller's other outlaw team, a team of monsters that she will have do various black op operations, similar to the setup she has with the Suicide Squad, but this time monsters. Yeah, and I'm excited for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I actually spoke to David Dasmulchin, who obviously played Polka dot Man and Suicide Squad, who was in Batman, the christophanoland Batman movies. He is currently writing a new creature, Commando's Team for DC really cool. I interviewed him at DC dot Com and he made a great point that I think is going to be really important to this version of the Creature Commandos, where basically he said, they're very easy to immediately pose as the villains. So they're a great team because if anything goes wrong, you just go, oh my god, how did these monsters go out? It's even harder to humanize them than it is the Suicide Squad. So I think we're definitely going to see that duality. But yeah, very exciting. And then before you know, it's gonna be twenty twenty five and if things go well, it could be the year of DC.
Speaker 1: That's right, fun tie in for how this and this shows you the attention to detail that James Gunn is applying to his DCEU. Is this Creature Commandos is coming in the wake of Peacemaker and the wake of Suicide Squad, and after all the tremendous loss of life among the agents that she has put in the field. She's restricted from using human agents, so that's why she has turned to monsters, right operations.
Speaker 2: It makes so much sense after Suicide Squad too, But yeah, I mean going from that, that's going to be this brutal, adult violent project and then next year we're going to get Superman, which obviously I'm assuming is going to be a totally different vibe this summer.
Speaker 1: July eleventh, twenty twenty five. This is the big one, the live action Superman from the DCEU. David corn Sweat as Clark Kent Slash Superman, Rachel Brosnahan as Lois Lane. I can't wait to see this and to see how I think it's smart that they're launching Superman first to set the tone for this era. Of course, we're gonna get Crypto in there. I'm fascinated because I think much has been said about how difficult it is to make a compelling Superman, but I believe that James Gunn could do it, So I can't wait to see what happens here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm very interested in it too, because there is so many characters who have been cast for this. You're talking about Isabelle mccartt as hallgir Eddie gatheggis Mister Terrific, Nathan philly And as Guy Gardner, Anthony Kerrigan as Metamorpho. We're definitely going to get a Crypto. James Gunn did an emotional post about how his own dog that he adopted inspired Crypto. I think this could be a huge launch pad and I'm very interested to see the kind of story they're going to tell with so many characters, it's going to be interesting. Does Superman already exist? We've also had rumors this is where the authority will appear. It's also very interesting because the next movie that is due out after this in twenty twenty six is Supergirl Woman of Tomorrow, which is not family friendly, not hopeful, and this completely bleak western Shoka, which is gonna start Milly Alcock, our fave from House of the Dragon. She's gonna be Supergirl. It's gonna have Craig Gillespie directing, Anna Nagera writing this screenplay, and it's adapting the Tom King Bill Quiss Everly limited series that is set in the Deep Cosmos and sees Supergirl, a drunken, depressed Supergirl go on a true Grit style adventure with a young girl who wants to get vengeance for her father's death. So I think it's interesting that you're getting Superman and Supergirl, but already they're gonna be in these very different spaces and tones. I'm interested to see if they can balance that.
Speaker 1: That's right, And now we go into the movies that are farther aware. Are they gonna have the are they gonna happen? Movies? First up, the Authority, the hyper violent, morally complex team.
Speaker 2: Even complex due to who they were created by. Now I'm it's tough.
Speaker 1: It's very much great of my word, Elis, with the amazing art of Brian Hitch, apparently will connect to Superman somehow. As you noted, I wonder if I mean for lawsuit purposes. This can't happen, but there was that fake Evil Avengers parody team in the Authority during the another complex air quotes Complex person Mark Run of Mark Malaura on the title that can't happen, but it would be really funny if it wasn't there anyway? Tell us about the Authority.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just think this is another really interesting swing. It's very likely that this would be more of a bleak serious The Boys esque story. Yes, but they are apparently rumor has it gonna appear in Superman. So maybe there's a world it's more grounded. Maybe we're living in a world where Superman is already trying to retire even though he's young, because he loves Lewis Lane. And then the Authority arrive. I know it's going to be very interesting. I'm also interested because after that, some of the other ones they've mentioned are like The Brave and the Bold, which again would be kind of a Damian Wayne Robin, but it wouldn't be connected to Matt Reeves version of Batman. Speaking of which, I'm going to bring up a movie that has been unconfirmed as part of the gun Averse, but we've seen both James Gunn and Matt Reeves talk about a lot recently, which I'm very excited about, Dynamic Duo. It's a Matt Reeves DC animated movie. It's going to be a Dick Grayson and Jason Todd as Robin's movie. You have to see go online, guys and google the videos of this because the puppet tree that they are using is so unbelievable that it looks like CG It's They're using these stop motion puppets where they've created a new way to move their faces and it is some of the most uncanny stuff I've ever seen. Sway Box is the animation team behind it, and it's going to be Arthur Mints and Teresa Anderson who are going to direct the movie. I think this is very interesting because it's not connected to the Matt Reeves Batman stuff, but it is to do with Matt Reeves. But we've also seen James gun sharing it, so I think we could start to see a bit more collaboration and crossover between these seemingly disconnected universes. So that looks unbelievable and very excited for that Swamp Thing obviously, I want that to happen. That feels to me like the least likely to go into production right now, not for any other reason than just it's so hard to bring it to life.
Speaker 1: I feel like the Authority is the least likely because of what's in it and because there's literally no one attached. At least with Swamp Thing. You've got James Mangold attached, that's true, and he's got some juice obviously with Wolverine and Logan and three Tending my other movies he's made, and it has a voice that really fits well.
Speaker 2: With Swamp Thing. You could definitely see the visuals.
Speaker 1: With Swamp Thing. But I feel like if there's one of these that at least won't happen in this cycle, it'll be the Authority. I feel like that's the one that.
Speaker 2: Makes sense, especially as well if they do end up introducing the Authority within Superman, there's a fair chance that they might not need their own movie because we do have some members of the authority who've already been cast, like the actress who played Ratcatcher two in Suicide Squad is the engineer. So it's interesting, but we'll see what happens. Television show wise, Peace make a season two definitely happening.
Speaker 1: Excited, Yeah, show runner James Gunn, continuing.
Speaker 2: The huge success for them with the first season.
Speaker 1: Yes, right, and a really interesting tone too that I think, Yes is unlike anything else that's out there in the superhero realm, really fun. Peacemaker is this heightened conservative with a heart, and it'll be very interesting to see the tie ins through the various properties as this version of the DCE Star.
Speaker 2: That's what's going to be most interesting as we see twenty twenty five explodes. I agree, and we know that, as we talked about recently, Marvel is coming in with a stack year, so this could really be a big interesting space a show that's definitely happening. That they've done a lot of casting on Lanterns. Who Kyle Chandler is, how Jordan Aaron Pierre Is, John Stewart, Tom King is actually working on this movie with Damon Lindelof and Chris Mundy. Chris Mandy's going to be the showrunner. Very interesting. They're saying it's going to be a mystery on Earth, very grounded, but it will set up a big part of what we're going into going forward. Jason, your pitch, now, what do you think could be an Earth based mystery that would set out a huge story that they could follow Fanos' style throughout this spread out DCU.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, that's a good one. I do wonder if it's something dark Side related.
Speaker 2: That feels like the most obvious answer.
Speaker 1: Some sort of centric cult that he's like created. Oh, I like that on Earth.
Speaker 2: That would be very true detective too, and.
Speaker 1: That has caused chaos somewhere in some far flung corner of space that then the Lantern Core has to then go follow a thread to investigate here on Earth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's my pitch. I think that would be really cool. I am interested to see where they go with that one. We know that. Nathan Phillia, do you have a pitch do?
Speaker 1: What is your theory?
Speaker 2: No? I think you're right. I think something to do with dark Side, some kind of occultist muders. Maybe there could even be something where they could bring in a Motherbox or something. But I definitely think you're on the right track. I also know that this is gonna be where we see Nathan Phillian come over as Guy Gardner from Superman, so I think that will be interesting. I love Guy Garder.
Speaker 1: I think that's Do you think he survives Superman?
Speaker 2: I think he survived Superman because they're making a lantern show. He seems very killable and James enjoy kill I do think knowing James Gunn's tastes, knowing his vibes, knowing the things he enjoys, I'm sure, like me, he is a Guy Gardner enjoyer. Okay, other shows that we don't really know much about Waller. We know that that's gonna be a spin off with Viola Davis. Love that she deserves it. I hope she gets some emmys. I'm sure it'll be very interesting. Paradise Lost interesting. That's gonna be kind of your Femiscerra before Wonder Woman's story.
Speaker 1: Which are politics of Semiscira.
Speaker 2: That could be a Game of Thrones level show if they do it right, then interestingly, a Booster Gold series. I love Booster Gold, and I hope to me, I hope it connects to the untitled Blue Beetle animated series that we're supposed to get, because obviously those two they're great team together. I would love to see that. And then we have stuff like The Batman Batman too. We know it's coming out, It's gonna come out October twenty twenty six, but that is an else World's movie.
Speaker 4: Ye how now We've talked about this a lot, but I have.
Speaker 2: This is a big question.
Speaker 1: This is the big question. With the Penguin being as good as it is, taking us to a level of immersiveness and detail with a focus on these villains from Gotham, you know, the success of that, how can this remain else world If if the Batman two continues the run of quality, and let's put success to the side. If it continues to be as good and a Penguin season two is as good and other properties that happen are as good, can it remain separate?
Speaker 2: You know what? Something I think that James Gunn has proven throughout his walk, whether it's in the MCU or whether it's just been as the Helma of this DCU so far, he has been very canny and keen to showcase his knowledge for comics, right, and he shares the comic book artwork, and then he says, Oh, this is going to be an influence, and then the book sells out like we had with the incredible you know all Star Superman by Frank Morrison, Grant Morrison and Frank Quietly or Bill kus Everly and Tom King's Supergirl Woman of Tomorrow. I think naming it Elseworld is actually very clever because not only does any DC fan immediately know what that means. Essentially it's an out of continuity story, but throughout history, those out of continuity stories have been brought into continuity, So I do think that that connotation is there. You know, whether it's the Killing Joke or whether it's the Dark Knight returns, lots of things have been brought into real continuity from Elseworld. I feel like if the Penguin does an Emmy sweep, which I think is very likely, and then the Batman two comes out, it also makes eight hundred million dollars and continues this fantastic exploration, I think it would be tempting to do those crossovers. But if they managed to make this DCU Gods and Monsters first phase a huge success in its own right, then it will be very interesting to see if the James Gun Peter saffran Cohort can convince the execs to keep them separate.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about Gods and Monsters in a second, but I just wanted to note one interesting detail in this is no casting of Batman yet exactly.
Speaker 2: I think that's a huge I.
Speaker 1: Think there is a conversation that is happening, and I think if the Batman two comes out critically acclaimed, building on the momentum of the Penguin in the first movie and makes a lot of money, I think there's a world in which they bring that version of the Batman to the DCU.
Speaker 2: Especially because I do think when I first watched The Batman, which I loved, I remember being like, you know what, be so amazing if his Superman is somebody who has just as much vision and style, but for a totally Superman centric story, so a happy story, a loving story, and then you have to see those two worlds collide. I think that is so interesting and we've never truly gotten to see that.
Speaker 1: Okay, here's my pitch. In the Gunnerverse, Batman is Ben Affleck. He's fucking old, but somehow the portal opens, the streams cross and they are able to get the Batman, Robert Pattinson version of Batman get him to this the James Gunnerverse, and Ben Affleck takes a look at him and says, I'm too old to do this. Now you're perfect. You're the young guys perfect. This is the new world for you. I understand that. But maybe you can be the Batman here. Yeah, you know, bad pitch, but a very clunky way to do it. But I think that's the way they could do it.
Speaker 2: That's honestly. Nowadays portal things like that. I could see Matt Reeves he's managed to ground the wildest stuff, and I could see a way where he could do it. Also, there's so much potential here. That's what's really exciting. I mean, Aaron raised this great point, which I want to ask you. So at first they were like every video game will be connected. Obviously that didn't happen, and now they're like, well, some of them will be connected and used in a way, and the movies will be connected, but you'll be able to enjoy every single one, as Aaron posed it in the notes. Does that ever really work? Is there a world, Jason where you can have something that is interconnected but still have people just randomly dip in and out for what they're interested in.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think it can work, but I think it's tough. Yeah, but I think that there has to be a.
Speaker 2: Core that's the success of the original MCU. I guess like the first couple of phases.
Speaker 1: I agree. You mentioned Guys and Monsters tell us about that new paradigm in DC comics.
Speaker 2: This is basically something that we If you're a DC fan, you will have recognized this as there was a really fantastic Gods and Monsters comic book, and there was also a fantastic Gods and Monsters Justice League movie in twenty fifteen from the very beloved DC Animated Universe. It's an ultimate universe vibe where there's a different universe of the Justice League and you have different Wonder Woman, Batman, Superman. It's really really interesting, and I think it's very telling that James Gunn used that phrase to describe this ten year DCU plan. So I just would say, I think we can just expect as always with James Gunn, some surprises, some choices that may make us go, oh wait, that's the character you're picking. And then obviously, like he did with Guardians of the Galaxy, he made a team that most people had never heard of into a billion dollar success story. So I'm very interested in that. I think it covers the notion of doing your trinity like Wonder Woman, Superman no Batman, as we mentioned, but also doing swamp thing or creature commandos. So I think it's very tight, very clever idea. So obviously none of this has happened. Yeah, we're going into twenty twenty five and it's about to happen. But I think the interesting thing is we're kind of already also asking like what's next. What does this set up? What does the first ear set up? Will they inevitably be going for a crisis, is that what they want to do? Or are we multiversed out? Is this just establishing an incredible blockbuster space where all these different stories can happen. I'm very interested because it seems like they're doing backwards version of what the MCU did, where instead they're introducing all the characters in the first movie and then spreading out from there, which we have not seen work yet. But I do have trust in James Gunn.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you this because I think if you take your audience to a place where the stories naturally grow into this multiverse thing and everybody understands it, that's one thing. But I also think for a general audience of the size that gun is going for, there are going to be people like who are confused, right, just wait, the Batman didn't happen here, or the Joker's not part of it. How much work do you think that's going to be to get people Because obviously hardcore comics people, nerd people, DC fans understand this inherently. Yeah, But like for that lighter audience, how much messaging do you think is going to be around getting people up to speed about what's part of it, what's not part of it.
Speaker 2: I think it is a lot of work. But interestingly, just the way that James Gunn has put himself out there on the Internet I think is a great watermark for what they can do. He has been very eager to respond to rumors. If somebody says, hey, is this casting true, he'll say yes or he'll say no. I think if they had him on seth Meyer's famous comic book lover and late night show hosts. I think him going on there and having these conversations in a really chill way, I think the news would disseminate enough that most people would understand. I think a lot about Casino Royale, the James Bond movie. I went to see that with my mum, who loved the Pierce brosn and James Bond, She loved Sean Connery James Bond, and she was legit truly horrified by that movie. She did not comprehend why it was so brutal, but by the end of it she was kind of like, Oh, I get it, he's just a different James Bond.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And you know what. I think that throughout his and throughout Hollywood history, there has been enough of that cultural conversation that even if they don't see him on late night or they don't read an article about it, they'll probably just be like, Oh, I get it, it's another Batman, like there was another Michael Keaton Batman, or there was another this. I do think that currently there's been so much DC stuff, especially with this penguin stuff that's working so well. In the Batman Epic Crime Universe as they're calling it, and then the failure of Joker Folioda. But that being such a huge known property, I do think there is gonna be a little confusion. But I think another smart thing is we've got eight months now till Superman comes out, and I'm sure James Gunn is going to be very present in the pop culture space having those conversations, and we'll get to know more as trailers come out, or we see comic con announcements, or if DC decides they want to go back to a DC fandom model and start doing their own D twenty three announcements.
Speaker 1: I think the.
Speaker 2: Rollout is what's going to be really interesting and tell us a lot, because also there's so much potential here. There was going to be the Black Superman film that Tana he See Coats was going to do with JJ Abrams. There was going to be a Constantine sequel with Keanu Reeves in This Elseworld Life, hoping that happens. Also animated film based off the incredible comic The Jurassic League, which was where all the Justice League were dinosaurs. It's so much fun. The art is just so dynamic, It's a joyful read, and I love that Gun's taste is so much more unconventional, and they seem a lot less afraid of taking wild swings, whereas the success of the MCU was based on not safe bets because the characters weren't safe bets, but putting them in the hands of someone like Jon Favreau and saying, make this grounded, make this believable. With Iron Man, I would like to see James Gung go the opposite direction and make things unbelievable, make superheroes we can imagine we would want to come and save our world, not having those conversations like who fills up Batman's time? You know, those kind of things.
Speaker 1: Lean into the dcness.
Speaker 2: Feel the gods, the monsters. I'm very excited about it. Also, Okay, so post Penguin, just quickly, how would you like to see the Penguin play into the Batman too? Because we're going to have a couple of years, but I feel like that's going to be a big talking point for a lot of people who watch this show. How would you like to see that show transition into the wider world of Matt Reeves DC.
Speaker 1: As like a big bad who Batman can't take on in one movie, I think he's going to be an overarching villain who goes after Batman as Batman starts to eat into his profits from his various businesses make things unstable for him. I think he goes after him with this stable of weirdo criminals that Gotham seems so full of. I think he sets those people loose and has them try and take on the Batman. Meanwhile, he'll be using the halls of power again legal means to try and unmask this who the fuck is this guy? Who is this guy? Who could he be? Again? Batman can't just walk into city Hall and punch a guy in the face. It's gonna be very, very difficult for him, as much as we wish. As much as we wish, I think it's gonna be a type of story where we see Batman as Bruce Wayne having to try and make moves to try and take on a guy like this because, in a weird way, the Joker's easy because he's just a fucking wacko who nobody likes. But if Oz has the weight of the city behind him, it's gonna be hard, and so I'm really eager to see how Batman could take on that kind of criminal, who again is not going to be able to be touched with batter rings. You can't just like drive your car through the side of the city hall and grab him by the nape of the neck. You're gonna have to do other things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's gonna have societal protection in a way to the Batman villain the Stone. I love that. I also just want to shout out, I know our super produce a comment has been talking about this for a long time. The finale does seem like it could potentially sy up a version of Jeff Lobe and Tim Sales Catwoman when in Rome, where we would seek Selena and maybe she helps Sophia get out. Maybe the pair of them try and untangle this relationship. Maybe they become foes, maybe they become friends. I think that could be a fantastic in between series that could link together what we see in The Batman two and what we saw in The Penguin. I would be very excited to see that.
Speaker 1: I think Selena knows the truth of who the Hangman is, whether she has personal experience with Sophia's dad.
Speaker 2: Or oh yeah, because obviously Carmine choked her out like we saw him do that, so she knows.
Speaker 1: She knows, and he killed her mom. That's right, So she knows. And I think you're absolutely right. A team up with them is going to be very very interesting.
Speaker 2: Because Selena may want to say, well, my sister didn't do this, she's not the hangman, but she doesn't necessarily know the kind of person that Sophia truly is that we have seen, So that could be a very spicy and fun exploration.
Speaker 1: I agree, And who goes which way? Right? Like, exactly does this make Selena more extreme or does this mellow Sophia? Unclear?
Speaker 2: I would love to see that.
Speaker 1: I would really really love to see that. Okay. Next week on Xtra Vision, getting you ready for Ridley Scott's Gladiator two, it's Swords in Sandals week. We're going back to two thousand and first for a rewatch of Ridley Scott's Gladiator, then Tuesday recap of Arcane season two, Act two, and Wednesday we'll be taking a detour to another Sandy property for Dune Prophecy on Max episode one, and then Thursday, we're recovering some of our favorite Sword and Sandals movies Excalibur, movies of that nature. What else you know.
Speaker 2: I'm a huge fan of a Swords and sorcery, a hemat oh something like that. I'm a big fan of a little tech no barbarian legend. Yeah, now we're talking, and.
Speaker 1: Then Friday, of course the main course Gladiator too. That's it for this episode. Thanks for listening. Bye x ray Vision is hosted by Jason Kenseepsion and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcasts. Our executive producers are Joelle Smith and Aaron Kaufman. Our supervising producer is a Boo Zafar. Our producers are Carmen Laurent and Mia Taylor. Our theme song is by Brian Basquez.
Speaker 2: Special thanks to Soul Rubin and Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman and Heidi Our discoord Moderata