Speaker 1: Kubbooms.
Speaker 2: If you thought four hours a day, twelve hundred minutes a week was enough, think again. He's the last remnants of the old republic, a sol fashion of fairness. He treats crackheads in the ghetto cutter the same as the rich pill poppers in the penthouse.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: It's a clearinghouse of hot takes. Break free for something special. The Fifth Hour with Ben Maller starts right now.
Speaker 1: In the air everywhere. The Fifth Hour with Me, Ben Mahler and Danny g Radio Sunday Sunday. It's an NFL Sunday Week twelve in the nash foot Ball League, and we celebrate, celebrate good times. And also not only is it NFL football today, it's dB Cooper Day today, Danny, do you know dB Cooper had his own day, had no idea he does. One of my favorite stories, the hijacking, the air piracy, the skydiving. That story Nutso they never found out who dB Cooper was. He's probably long dead. Look it up, just google it, just google it. But it is our Sunday mail bag, Dan, you know what that means, ohiool, it's the bail bag, all right, thank you very much, Ohio. I'll appreciate that, and you can send questions in anything you want. We don't normally do sporty questions on the mail bag, which is nothing like ask Ben. This is totally different. Send your questions care of Real fifth Hour at gmail dot com. That's Real fifth Hour at gmail dot com, and we may read your comments on the air. I know I would be a real fifth hour at gmail dot com. All letters, no numbers, And the first one up comes from Stevo. Steve lives in Ohio. He did not say what city, so I guess he's representing the entire state of Ohio. He says, guys, are you going to be flying Delta more now that they've announced they're upgrade in menu? And so STEVEO sent a story here Danny that Delta is going to be serving shakeshack Burgers on flights. I have to rain all over this parade. Okay, let me know, go ahead.
Speaker 3: This seemed like a great headline. In fact, I shared it with Covino and Rich a few days ago so they could talk about it on the air, and they were excited until I opened up the story and read that this is only going to be available to first class seats bullshit.
Speaker 1: Oh well, who cares about that?
Speaker 3: Exactly where we get to sit in first class? So you Delta, screw you.
Speaker 1: You don't need that, And probably the burgers will be soggy anyway. And let's be honest. Here, you eat a burger, you gotta have some fries. And I'm guessing Steve, oh, they don't have fries on a plane. They don't have a deep fryer on a Delta plane. They'll probably reheat fries too. Oh you know how bad burgers are reheated.
Speaker 3: Like in Oh yeah, it's like those slimy, wimpy soy gas station burgers.
Speaker 1: Said terrible. Oh that's so bad. I don't want know, so Steve O, I'm not gonna be flying. I actually do fly Delta a lot, just because we have like a credit card that gets us Delta, but supposedly some points of that, but I I'm not flying for a shake shack. I for years never ate on planes because I was always worried about having to the bathroom. One place, I've lost enough weight where I can go to the bathroom when a plane is not a big issue. But I still in the back of my head, Danny I'm like, I don't want to eat on a plane, you know, I want to go to the bathroom. I one time had a uti Danny and I had to go to the back like seven times on a flight back from all it was from New York.
Speaker 3: I was lying back, that's gotta be one of the worst things you can have on an airplane.
Speaker 1: Oh, it was such a nightmare. Everyone's looking at me. It was this gonna keep going to the bathroom. Is she doing drugs? What's she doing? What was he going to? And I was like, well, I didn't want to let people know, but I had. I mean, I had to go. It was terrible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've only had gonna rhea on a plane.
Speaker 1: Well, understandable. But you joined the mile high club, so it was worth it? Why not? All right? Kevin writes in He says, Ben, are you going to be buying this for Danny for for Christmas? And it is a item from Pizza Hut. It's a pizza warming video game console attachment. You can warm your pizza on your PlayStation. Danny. I don't think you're I think you're you've aged out of PlayStation. Is that accurate? Danny? You're not doing the PlayStation anymore.
Speaker 3: I have a PS four at home and I don't think i've turned it on in a year.
Speaker 1: Oh is that right?
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, yeah, it sits there and collects dust.
Speaker 1: So you probably don't need a pizza warmer. You probably don't need to know. Fair enough on that, I got you, all right.
Speaker 3: Well I do like I mean, I did like playing Madden. But man, when you've got a kid, a little kid especially, there's no time to play video games.
Speaker 1: I pointed this out back on the Friday podcast. These restaurants have and it's not that deep, but they figured out ways for money grabs. KFC started this, right, They came up with like the weird items, the KFC items. McDonald's. We told the story on Friday about McDonald's with the McRib sauce. For twenty bucks. You can buy a gallon of McRib sauce and it's just like prap you don't really need, but you know you can sell like you know people will buy it. You realize that people will buy it, and you make a lot of money on it. And now Pizza Out, I guess is getting in on that. So so good for them, Kevin and Kansas, right, Sysys dear Ben and Danny. She've noticed that stores are selling and radio TV advertising the boxes of emergency food supplies. They offer thirty day supplies of food packs with tasty varieties that have two thousand calories a day for you. They claim to have a twenty five year shelf life. Do either of you own these? What are your thoughts if we get to that point, is it just time to give up from Kevin? Kevin's the old teacher who's no longer teaching because he's enjoying his life and all that. Yeah. I don't know about you, Danny, but my mom always had she was always prepared for nuclear war because of how old she was, and she grew up with the to the Cold War, if you will, so she was always prepared for battle. And she had parents that were in the depression, so she kept like a million rolls of toilet paper. She was ready for COVID. Unfortunately she died before COVID, but she had all the water and all the toilet paper and the disinfect and all that. But I'm more of the mindset, and I don't know about you. I'm more of the mindset if there is a nuclear bomb that goes off if you've read about what happens, you're done, you know, and I don't care. If you've got twenty five years supply of food, that's it. You know, your life is pretty much toast at that point when you get the text message that says, hey, by the way, we're going to we're going to have nukes. Remember in Hawaii got those messages in missiles inbound? You know shelf Oh yeah, yeah, that's what's gonna happen like that if there is, and we hope, you know, it will never happen. Hopefully people you know around the world will realize this, even you know, the death spots and everything. But if it ever happens, we're gonna get a text message on our phone say, hey, missiles inbound, this is not a test blah blah blah blah, but you're gonna go get your your pack of beans or whatever. I don't even know what this stuff is, but uh, yeah, I'm good. I have seen it at Costco though we talked about that. I think a while back that we've seen these things at Costco. Danny, where are you at on these emergency rations? These rations?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we barely can keep our cupboards and refrigerator full. We're not rolling in dough to have all these extra supplies in the garage. Ben Normally on my to do list it's stop at Target. We really need toilet paper. We're out of water again. So you think I have extra crap like that in my garage.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, no, I hear you. And yeah, we usually go to the store too on the weekend. We don't plan out much. We're like, all right, what do we need for the next couple of days. Let's just go to Let's go to Walmart or wherever and grab some crap Brett from Dallas, right, Sinny says Ben. I heard the old update playing during the overnight show. What was it like in studio when that happened? Something outdated? Was said? Well, I guess the podcast we can talk about mistakes have happened. Yeah, so, as you know, we we no longer work with our friend Eddie, who was so great for so many years at Fox Sports Radio. My lips have been on it. The company has decided to put recorded updates at night, not live updates overnight. That's their decision. Fine, whatever, they they're the bosses. So the night update person records a couple updates before they leave and then that's it. Well, unfortunately, there was a snaff oo, a boondoggle the other day. There was some confusion in the system and the update from the previous day played in our two Yeah. Yeah, so I and Brett picked up on it because what I said, Danny, I believe I said on the air, it doesn't get any fresher than that. You know, we want those we want those fresh scores. And I was like, I just want to make sure you knew the scores from yeah, yesterday. Oh there was there to answer your question, Brett. I heard immediately because it was a different voice. It was the the update person. It was Martin Weiss, who was there the day before.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But so was this the opposite then of Games of Note? Yes, this, well this was Games of Yeah. What would you call that? I don't know what you'd phrase that, Yeah, rancid, moldy games? I mean yeah, yeah. Is there anything more useless than a two day old sports update? You know what I'm saying. It's like a little tough, But yeah, that was awkward. There were a lot of looks, There was a lot of finger pointing. There was hey, this is somebody else screwed up, you know that guy. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'm sure there's gonna be a few bumps in the road until we all, you know, get settled into the new surroundings, which is less people working with us.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's just the reality. It's you know, it's you got to adjust. It's been an adjust been for me without Eddie. You know, I've had some nights where I'm pretty much on an island. I'm living the island life myself there for whatever reason. So we don't need to get into all that. But it's been an adjustment. And you know, I worked with Eddie for a long time and I've but I had many years in radio before Eddie. And hopefully Eddie will be back on the show at some point, but there's no guarantee on that. Barry in South Carolina Rights and he says, Yo, yo, Ma, Benny. With Eddie's departure, what changes, if any, are you considering for the games? Yeah, so, Barry, we have thought about that. I talked about on the air, as you know, and I met you Barry back in the day in Charleston. And my position on the Games, I'd like to keep the Games we have, but I realized with Lorraina there like the sporty games, she's not She's not sporty, which is fine. You know, she's good at her job, but she's not sporty. So we were thinking about changing it up and kind of getting more away from the sports we do to the game that we did the other day, which we do every week. What's it called? I forget the the the Malard Militia feud and somebody, I think it was blind Scott emailed me and said, bring back the spelling Bee. And I don't know that we're going to do that. That was a disaster. Well you with me, I don't know if you were. It was a long time ago. I did a spelling Bee and I realized how terrible spelling is for many people and how bad it is. So we're fussing around Berry. I'm looking at different games that we could play and trying to figure something out. But yeah, I have not nothing really has stuck with me that I really want to do. So I'm not at that point where I'm like all in on anything. It's really got to pop to me. So right now it's pretty much if you want to play the game, there's a sporty game you gotta play with either me or Coop, because Lorraine is not the sporty person. Before we move on to another question, Danny, you did want to say some things about you were away a lot of changes at the company. Unfortunately, our our world, our radio world, tough time and this, unfortunately and our business happens a lot. It hasn't happened in years. Yeah, any thoughts you want to share is yeah, just quickly, I'll get to the point of it.
Speaker 3: I listened to your interview with Eddie and and I'll be honest, man, I got a little emotional during the interview because I've spent years on the radio with you guys. When I think of the best and the greatest moments on the Malor Show, Eddie was right in the middle of all of it. I played the clip a lot of him in real talk, singing that duet together all the way.
Speaker 1: We were learning, gentlemen, how you parte that scattered picture of the smiles we left, We were in tears.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and there there were a few different moments like that that I'll always remember And just want to tip the mic to Eddie Garcia Man, one of the greats. I hope it works out to where he can come back to the company someday just like you did.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I have so many great memories as well with Eddie. I mean every bit that we did, Eddie was usually a part of most of the time and all the stick. I loved busting his balls about going to Disneyland the night of the NFL draft, and.
Speaker 3: You know, I was your tech producer and I also, you know, hosted the games and had a larger role than that on your show. But one thing that I loved about Eddie, besides him co hosting in essence, was he added little sound effects and drops here and there that were his own specialty. Yeah, and they always added to the fun. You know, he had great timing. He has great timing. And so if he does if he's not able to come back here and he lands somewhere else, And I texted this to him, I said, Man, somebody else is going to get a real radio pro and a treasure because he really helped that show go to the next level.
Speaker 1: And so he's going to be missed man a lot. How about shut up.
Speaker 3: I'm glad he's still going to come around on the Fifth Hour podcast here and hopefully come to the local and the Vegas Malard meet and greets you have, because he goes down in Malor's show slash Fox Sports History Lore No he does.
Speaker 1: I mean he's been there. He was there for over twenty years, and I still I need to last another six months and twenty six days and then I'll pass Eddie. I think I think he passed me for longest tenured at FSR employment, but who knows. Anyway, it's it's been a very interesting couple of weeks that you holidays coming up and just happy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, and I'm glad the boss has let you address it on the air and on the podcast. That was very classy of Scott Shapiro to let you do that.
Speaker 1: It was and I think I thank Scott. I was like, we had a conversation when I when I talked to him and Don when this all went down and they were explaining what had happened and going through all that, and that's private, that's not for broadcast. But they knew he'd been here too long. You can't just pretend like this didn't happen, So you have to you have to address it. Let's see what is next year? On the male bag Mike in Salt Lake, right since says, Hey, Ben and Danny, I heard I hear you guys, heard you Ben complaining about the price of food on your radio show. I brought up the taco thing the other day at on the radio anyway, says he says, I bet you're glad you don't drink coffee after seeing this story, so I clicked he sent me a link here, Danny, I you see this is from the New York Post. It's a Scottish dairy is offering the UK's most expensive cup of coffee. You want to take a guess how much one cup of coffee costs at this Scottish dairy. I'm gonna say eleven dollars. See that's how you play the game. See Eddie, if he was here, he would have held eight thousand dollars and would yeah, no, a cup of joe at the Scottish dairy. According to this link that this guy from Utah sent three hundred and forty four dollars the Scotty here. Yeah, a double shot espresso top with a layer of steam milk. Yeah, and a hand job. Yeah. You better get a happy ending for that man. That's Wow, three hundred and forty four bucks for a cup of coffee.
Speaker 3: Her right hand gets a workout while you sip on your latte.
Speaker 1: My right hand was getting a workout. I I geez, who's buying that? Well? Somebody? Maybe nobody is. I have no idea. My god, that's insane to the membrane. Needless to say this. Actually, this next one actually relates to that. This is from from Jay who sent this one in, and it's about the the banana. Did you guys talk about this on Covino and Rich this week, that duct tape banana? We did? It's just what a ridiculous story. So this, I guess it's a crypto billionaire guy bought the duct tape banana, which was they claimed art. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was just gonna say, Ben, please refer to it as art. It's an art piece.
Speaker 1: This is why I hate art, because this shit crap like this. So somebody duct taped the banana to a ball, and then a bunch of rich people drinking wine looked at it and said, oh, it's art, a masterpiece.
Speaker 3: If I took color to that museum, he would have torn it down and took a bite.
Speaker 1: Oh it's so stupid. It's so it's so embarrassed. Anyway, So some rich dude who's got more money than he can possibly use in his life, he bought the duct tape banana for six point two million dollars. And the kicker to the story here, Danny, the kicker to the story. The gentleman plans to eat it. Now, how is that a banana does not There's no way you can eat it, right, it's impossible because the banana lifespan this thing. This story's been around for a while, right, this is the banana story. It goes back at least three or four years, probably longer than that. Right.
Speaker 3: I hope this guy gets really, really sick from eating that banana. I'm not wishing death on him, but just very ill.
Speaker 1: Now. I guess the comedian is the guy that put this up first, some comedian, but the crypto billionaire bought the duct tape banana for six point two million, plans to eat it. But you know what you do is make banana bread, right, that's what you see. She make banana bread. Well, that's always that. Yeah, you're right.
Speaker 3: My grandma always took the the ones with bruises and that we're too old and she set them aside and she said, that's gonna be bread.
Speaker 1: I'm all right, knock yourself out. Grama. Who's the first one that determined that let's make banana bread? Like? There must have been imagine that epiphany, the first person that realized, well, these bananas are turning bad, let's seef we can make bread out of them. And it must have been like just mind blowing right, just oh my god, I can't believe it. That is amazing. I wanted to mention we talked about the other day the bomb cyclone that hit Seattle, and yeah, we're getting into the time of the year here where the weather's kind of getting nasty and gnarly right late November and we're getting in on December. Is going to be year before you know it. So this is a friendly reminder, not from bomb dot com, but all of these new weather terms. And I learned this a couple of years back, but I want to remind people because some people don't know. These are all creations to scare you on social media, and they these are all like the weather events aren't any different, you know what I mean, They just called them something else like instead of jet stream it's an atmospheric river, right, you know, either the jet stream would bring the rain or whatever, but now it's an atmosphere river. The heat Dome, I think I'm gonna use the heat Dome when somebody has a big game, say they were in the heat Dome. I think I'll use that.
Speaker 3: You can't use that if they're playing at the Tropicana.
Speaker 1: No, no, you definitely definitely can't. Polar vortex that's been around a while. Yeah, we've heard people joke about that one. And then bomb cyclone is the that's the latest that has popped up here. And they they've changed the the definitions of certain weather events in the American Meteorological Society. The weather people who get together and it sounds like a rapper's name, bomb cyclone. Yeah, people get so freaked out. Oh, oh my god, it's an atmospheric river. Oh my god, it's rain. It is rain, and I just wanted to match. I see that all over the place and people freak out, Why are you what are you freaking out? It's it's nothing, it's the same weather. It's just you know, sometimes the weather gets worse, sometimes it gets better. Mike and Fullerton writes and he says, Hello, Bendon, Danny G. I want to thank you for having Eddie Garcia on the Fifth Hour last week. It really helped cheer a lot of us up in the Mallard militia. But as you know, many of us in the militia are also big fans of Brian Finley. So if you truly want to cheer us all up, you got to book Finley for the Fifth Hour as soon as possible. We need it. Well, who sent this one in? Brian? Yeah? Well, this is Brian's roommate, Mike and full it, Yeah says. I also wanted to ask you, guys what you think of the new limit edition whoppers from Burger King. You've got the Maple Bourbon Barbecue Whopper, the Fried Pickle Ranch Whopper, and the Mexican Street Corn Whopper. Where do you rank them on your big board?
Speaker 3: You're gonna be happy to hear that I will. I will temporarily join you in your hatred for Ranch just over Burger King's menu because these all look disgusting.
Speaker 1: The only one that I might go with is the Maple Bourbon Barbecue Whopper. That's about it. But I have no interest in the fried Pickle ranch whopper, the Mexican street corn whopper. I'm out on. So none of the above with a slight maybe just because it includes barbecue, the maple bourbon barbecue whopper, that could be the one that could be the Yeah, that's a good point. I like maple as well.
Speaker 3: If it's maple barbecue, that's like that maple bake, that candy bacon. Oh, but I think it's safe to say Burger King can probably screw even that up.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I have not eaten at Burger King in many, many years. We talk about you talk about Arby's, and that's you say, that's a front for something else, you know, and who knows, but.
Speaker 3: That's a front for a big drug operation in our country. Burger King, the quality of that went way down years and years ago when they were bought by a different company.
Speaker 1: I used to eat the elongated chicken sandwich at burger Can you remember that? The long chicken sam? Oh yeah, the og version of those were so good. It was always like special because you had onion rings and McDonald's didn't have onion rings.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, and we got the crowns to wear on our heads.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I remember good old days. Al from the land old where Coop and Ben recycle unused questions gentlemen, since my writers were let go with the recent layoffs at iHeart, Alf says, here is an ask Ben question which is totally different, a totally different bit. I know here on the mailbag that was left in Coop's recycle bin and then eaten by Luigi and pooped out my dog Luigi. He says, Have you ever been duck pin or candle pin bowling? Have you ever been? I have not. I just recently went bowling for the first time. We talked about that in the podcast, first time in a while, and I loved it, and I'm like, all about it. I want to go bowling again. Uh, but no, I've not. Have you ever been duck pin? That's more of a Canadian thing, I think candlepin. Yeah, I was gonna say, I'm not even familiar with this, so candlepin, I think I might have confused these. I don't have the email in front of me, But candlepin, I believe is is a those little skinny skinny what do you call them? The thing when you bowl the ball down the pins. Yeah, but duck pin bowling, they have fat pins. I think I'm getting this right, and they have a like a smaller ball, Okay, gotcha? All right, all right, yeah, I don't have that around here. I don't know, we don't really have that in this area, right, Danny, I don't recall maybe someone I don't know, a masshole mickey from the Commonwealth. Right. Since it's ol Ben and Danny, my question is, will you be doing a pod on the Sunday after Thanksgiving? I have a great question for you. Also, what is the number one favorite food that you'll be having for Thanksgiving? Oh? Boy? See mass whole mickey. Yeah, this is a pet peeve of mine. Now I am working part of thanks you know, I'll be working leading into Thanksgiving morning for many reasons. I have to do the TV show whatever. But this is a reminder. You know how I feel, Danny about lazy Thanksgiving weekend radio? You do. The lot of people do like the food draft and all that I know, so I my favorite. I don't even like turkey, So I like these side dishes at Thanksgiving. But we don't want to get that into that. But I will as far as I know, Danny. I mean, we haven't talked about it. I think we'll be doing the podcast. Maybe we'll put Brian Finley on to make Ferg Dog happy. At least we'll know one person will be happy with the podcast. Yeah next week, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, and Fan hasn't been on in a while, so that's a good idea.
Speaker 1: Actually, like ever, we've never had him on the podcast. He's never been on the podcast, but he's begged to go on the Really I thought he was on back in the day. No, no, I never put him on. He's never been a pod.
Speaker 3: So wow, this would be radio history then, yes, pod history.
Speaker 1: So we'll get out on that. I will be hanging out watching football obviously, all they the NFL car Hopefully I beat the crap out of that, not bag penny and and there's a lot of there's a lot of disagreements. Then there's eight disagreements here, so yeah, I can go eight and oh in those games, I will, I will zoom past the penny, which will be amazing. So I needm smelling four and four? How dare you? That's about what it's been. I know.
Speaker 3: I hope you can at least go I don't know like six and two.
Speaker 1: But I have been I've been better the last month or so I've been better, So there is that I've been a little bit better. Ben.
Speaker 3: Before we get out of here, I have breaking banana bread news.
Speaker 1: Breaking news, breaking news.
Speaker 3: Food historians believe that banana bread was a byproduct of the Great Depression, as resourceful housewives did not want to throw away over ripe bananas.
Speaker 1: It's great. So it only goes back that far. Huh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it says that in the thirties stores started putting it out on their shelves.
Speaker 1: Oh that's great. Listen, what is the mother of invention is? You know? Desperation is the mother? Yeah? Like that? Yeah, all right, we'll get out on that. Danny Anthy, you want to promote your traveling all over the place. I'm here Thanksgiving coming up here. What's your week like this week?
Speaker 3: Back to the La Studios on Monday, band for Covino and Rich two to four pm on the West Side and four to six pm in beautiful Biloxi, Mississippi.
Speaker 1: Some alcohol and some football today. It's all you need. Booze, food, football. You're good to go. All right, we'll get out on that. Have a wonderful weekend, as far as we know we will. We will have some pods on Thanksgiving weekend, and I will be here pretty much all week. We have the TV show. That's why I'm only gonna miss one show, one radio show, and that's heading into Black Friday. And it's called called Black Friday, nay racist anyway, I don't know, I didn't name it. Have a great night here, enjoy the football, and we'll catch you next time. Later. Skater gotta murder. I gotta go.