Speaker 1: This is live coverage of the twenty twenty six Steelers training Camp or the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, Easy to Drink, Easy to Enjoy, and brought to you in part by your neighborhood Ford Store Creator, Pittsburgh Community Food Bank, First National Bank. Let's Get Started Member FDIC West Shore Home Remodeling Reimagine by Leecom Digital, Donz Appliances Visit Donzappliances dot Com guaranteed lowest prices, free next day delivery, CGR Wholesale and by Hoss's Steak and Seahouse hass Is is hospitality.
Speaker 2: Good evening Stealer Nation. How we doing well? That's good us too. It is the five o'clock hour, so that means it's the bonus hour here on the drive, our final hour of coverage for today, day three, on the campus of Saint Vincent College of Course high atop chuck Nolefield. But we are just getting started here with our proceedings for the next few weeks, and we continue to monitor the situation of the line painting robot in front of us and all the things going on with the grounds crew here. John tweets us and says listening back to Thursday's show and loved hearing the play by play of the field Zamboni. We need more play by play of the field Zamboni with some Caddy shack commentary. Well, you didn't get the field Zamboni today, but you got the photos the field line painter. And again we are efforting. You know, we don't want to over promise and under deliver. You want to do it the other way around, right, But we're a little excited. We are efforting a member of the Steelers grounds crew to potentially from us here over the next two weeks or so while we're out here for training camp. Are our guy TV doing a little bit of doing a little bit of help for us in the background. Let's see a bunch of a bunch of tweets here to get to for today. Actually, Ian says, it's Friday. What's the move tonight? Number one, rush out of training camp to beat the traffic. Number two stay in, head to your local watering hole. Or number three head to meadows to get some ice cream with Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 3: Nice.
Speaker 2: Also, guys, what's your favorite type of luxury vinyl flooring?
Speaker 3: Remember and this flooring it definitely is the new.
Speaker 2: Flooring, new flooring up here at the press bos. It's at college. We're not rushing out of anywhere because we got we got shows tomorrow ian you know, like it's tomorrow Saturday, but it's a workday now Tomorrow, after the shows, we'll be rushing out of here to go home exactly and spend Saturday night.
Speaker 3: And see you laid this out the other day. Day of the week doesn't matter at us at all. I mean sometimes you have different responsibilities, like I do different podcasts on during the week, but whatever, I mean, it only matters if they practice or not. So this is really no different than yesterday, you know, right, so local water so local watering hole.
Speaker 2: It is local watering hole. It is my favorite type of luxury vinyl flooring is whatever they put down here in this book, in this beautiful Chucknolefield press box on the campus of Saint Vincent College in sunny Latrobe, Pennsylvania. Angry Bike Lane tweets us and says, well, the Steelers utilize the middle of the field more this season, I would imagine, I feel like that's something we get asked this time of year.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, now this scheme will utilize the middle of the field more with inbreaking wide receiver routes. But that also sells Arthur Smith a little short. I mean Arthur Smith is not throw the ball outside the numbers only. This is more of a quarterback thing. And I know people be like, well, they've been thrown over the field for years, Well it's because Russell Wilson didn't throw over the middle fields doesn't throw over them. They just happened to bring in quarterbacks that don't throw over them. These are quarterback things, not coordinator things. And that includes Aaron you know. I mean he even in his best day, he's always been and this is a compliment, extremely aware of risk aversion. I mean his interception numbers were always Yes, TD interception numbers are.
Speaker 2: I think believable. I think it's the best in the NFL. It's like him and Mahomes in terms of after you've qualified and made so many pass I.
Speaker 3: Mean there's years he threw forty touchdowns in five interceptions. I mean, crazy stuff like that, and more bad things happen between the numbers than outside of the numbers. It's more bodies tip balls overthrows, end up doing bad things. But he has become reluctant to use the middle of the field. I'm hoping that it goes up. But and this is true for Ben, this is true for Breeze, it's true for Brady Manning. Great quarterbacks, when they get to this age, they are not real subject to change. Like dude, I put a Hall of Fame career the way you do, and yeah, put yourself in their shoes. I'm just going to reinvent myself and you know, do what I haven't done lately. And so has great success. So I hope so, or at least I hope there's more of a threat there. I hope so. Yeah. And I also think between Pittman that helps those two tight ends. They're nice middle to big Bernard. He's a good in breaking route out of the slot.
Speaker 2: Maybe you know I meant to tell you this when we had our two on Calvin Austin. Yeah, yes, when I meant to tell you this on Monday, when we did our first show back after our our kind of two weeks siesta. During one of those days when you and I were off for two weeks, I was at home doing some work and it's one of those like let me find something to throw on the TV in the background and I found on one of the you know, ESPN Classics or ESPN News or SEC Network maybe it was. They had on the SEC Championship game between Georgia and Alabama from this past season, and I thought, I'm going to put this on, you know, I want to kind of see what Ty Simpson did. I remember that Georgia won pretty comfortably, but I was like, I want to see how Ty Simpson looked. I know, he really struggled down the stretch, and only put this on. And Jeremy Bernard, I obviously wasn't really thinking, but then quickly I hear his name on the broadcast and I'm like, oh, yeah, to watch Jeremy Bernard. He made an unreal play in the second half that was really the only moment of the game where it felt like Alabama was in it or had a chance, where he caught a four yard screen pass from Ty Simpson, I mean over the middle of the field, four yards from the line of scrimmage, and he took it like twenty five thirty yards to the house, made a couple of Georgia Bulldogs miss broke a tackle, So I think he's gonna have something to say there too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think you're right on, And that kind of leads me to when things got off the rails for Bama and Simpson and who is it Ryan Williams.
Speaker 2: He was like the starry but now it's Ryan Williams something and he's hyphenated.
Speaker 3: But yes, Bernard was like the only thing they could count on for a while there. He was stretched and things weren't going well, and then.
Speaker 2: That is it was a lot of that kind of st in that game. It's like it's like third quarter and they're down twenty one nothing and they got nothing going for him, and he just makes a couple of guys miss takes it thirty yards to the house, and like I said, that was really the kind of only moment that they were in that game.
Speaker 3: I know people throw out Deebo Samuel comparisons, who just signed with the Niners, by the way, but that's not fair. Every draft someone's like, oh, this is this year's debo. Well that's not fair. But I do think him as a tackle breaker and after the catch is something I'm really looking forward to in the preseason and when the pads are really on, you know, he's good at it.
Speaker 2: Good questions here from Smooth Dave. Smooth Dave says Patrick Graham, traditionally plays a lot of zone coverage. How does that mesh with the heavy man corner personnel the Steelers have Also, the Steelers were all in on zone blocking schemes, but McCarthy traditionally does not run zone. Do we have the right personnel for what McCarthy wants to do? So, I guess one question.
Speaker 3: I think so with the run game, I'll start there, since that's the most recent one. Like I thought, say, we wanted about Matt Canada, but late in the Canada era, they really weaponized the man blocking scheme, getting this Roder Jones in particular, getting them polling on the move lineman getting downfield, you know, on the running not just moving in Unison, And there's a lot of carry over with the offensive lineman. And I do think McCormick's a good puller and Fraser can play anything. Faltanu I think can handle the man stuff as well. So I don't know that they just scrapped in terms of O line building when they went zone heavy. I didn't love that considering how good demand stuff was working under Canada, and I don't think they went exclusively zone lineman either. Also, where I'll fight you at is the first part of the question, because over Graham's career, every team runs a lot more zone demand. If you're running man at a thirty five percent clip, that's high now, So yes, everybody runs more zone demand. But I think over Graham's career and his DNA is man heavier than zone, is more man heavy than most coordinators. Last year. You can cherry pick what Graham did last year and say the good stuff is his and the bad stuff's Pete Carroll, and that's not fair to either one of them. But they played a lot of old school zone cover three Pete Carroll stuff that I don't think Graham put his stamp of approval on.
Speaker 4: That.
Speaker 3: He just got over.
Speaker 2: The way your boss wanted to.
Speaker 3: Right, and that was zone heavy. So I do money talks, personnel moves talk. You brought in a bunch of man coverage corners, and I think you're about to pay your best man coverage corner. I think they're gonna play a lot of not only man, but old school press man with big people Steelers.
Speaker 2: Burner says, do we think the Steelers bad fourth quarter defense was a little bit due to some of the previous regime and Mike Tomlin and Tarol Austin's kind of bend but don't break, you know, allow yards but not points defense. I feel like the extra snaps from that, along with uh some you know some turnover issues may have gassed our guys by the fourth.
Speaker 3: Quarter part of it. I wouldn't put them at the top of the list, but I would put them fourth or fifth on the list. You know, again, any whatever happens if to a defense, if you're playing more snaps, it's bad, no doubt. Too much defense is bad or bad defense is too much defense. And if that's because of you know, not being off the field because of a ben Bert not breakstyle, or your offense doesn't.
Speaker 2: Along gating enough drives, Yeah, that all.
Speaker 3: Of that absolutely contributed. I also don't think they made great defensive adjustments late in games too.
Speaker 2: You know it all worked in symphony Matt to have a concert that was not very good in the.
Speaker 3: Fourth No, no, I can't talk about that enough.
Speaker 2: One or two more here before we close down this segment. Pittsburgh Conversation says, all right, what are the chances or sorry, all right, what chances do you give that Mike Tomlin ends up coaching after this season and the Steelers get a draft pick, is it likely? Unlikely? Highly likely? Boy, that pick would be nice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it would be I'd say fifth fifty, you know. Like I know, John Payton did a year and then missed it so much and they traded for him. I think that it's a much more comfortable job than he's had the last two decades here. And I could see any human being being going, Man, I'm making good money. I'm still on the spotlight. I not disappeared off the planet. I'm still doing really cool football stuff. I may never coach again. I mean, yeah, you go back there John Madden, like put him in the booth.
Speaker 2: They'll cower, right, you know. There's yeah, there's examples both ways. I think of people like Madden and Bill Cower, where the general consensus was they'll take a year or a couple of years off and then they'll be back, and they never were. Then the Sean Payton types, where I think people thought, oh, there's a good chance he's going to do this for a while, and it was one year and then back to coaching. Matt I can It's almost.
Speaker 3: Like when you graduate call or high school and they say, I'm just gonna take a year off before I go to college. Like how many of them actually do fifty? Right? Like this year off' is kind of fun.
Speaker 2: This is another one of those. If you would have asked me a week after the announcement was made that Mike Tomlin was leaving the Steelers, I would have said, he's coming back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought he might even coach this upcoming season at that point, right.
Speaker 2: And I just I continue to get some mixed signals. I think sometimes I think fifty to fifty is an answer? Is is a cop out for this stuff? But I think that's spot on. Like, you know who Mike Florio is. Obviously, he's Pro Football Talk on NBC. He's a West Virginia guy, Mike Florio is, And so he was on one of the WVU podcasts that I like a couple of weeks ago, and they asked him, what's it been like working with Mike tom with NBC. Have you gotten to meet him yet? Have you been around him much at all? And Florio said yes, And they kind of asked him a similar question, what do you think his next move is? And Florio was like, I have not been told anything. I have not even talked about this with Mike. I want to be very clear. This is just all me. This is just all my.
Speaker 3: Speculations, observations from afar.
Speaker 2: He goes, I think Mike Tomlin's gonna be done coaching. I think He's gonna love this. I think he's gonna be good at it. I just like just He's like, that's just my total hunch. He's like, Mike might hear this and text me and tell me I'm an idiot. But he's like, I think he's gonna be done coaching. Now, that's just one person's opinion, but you're starting to hear more of that than you did three months ago.
Speaker 3: Now. I think that's very possible. But I've also heard many people that have worked shoulder to shoulder with him in this junkie But like anybody, you could have burned out over the last year or two and be like, man, that was hard on my body, and I'm not seeing my family. And now my kids are grown and I got a pretty good gig and I can go to the beach once in a while.
Speaker 2: Football circles.
Speaker 3: It's interesting, yeah, but the draft pick would be nice.
Speaker 2: It sure would because it would be a first round or baby, I would think last one of the day goes to Nate. He's oh, he's got two questions. He's trying to stir up some trouble with the last one. He says, what do you guys think about Gadson and fantasy football this year? As a late round tight end? Also, which school has produced better athletes all time? WU were pit with the he's got the smirk in there. Football is not even close. Every other sport though it's WV.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't know, but I believe.
Speaker 2: Well the logo of the NBA is a WVU.
Speaker 3: Guy definitely put out better pro basketball players.
Speaker 2: Men's and women's. Definitely, Definitely Baseball WVU guy is about to win NL Rookie of the Year in JJ Weatherholt and Gavin Kelly. Our catcher might be the first overall pick in the draft next year.
Speaker 3: I'm not even a pit defender. But I don't know what other sports they're great at.
Speaker 2: It's a good question. They're great volleyball, right, yeah, right, but I don't know is there a pro for that? There's Olympics, but you know the WV rifle team, we got kids winning gold medals.
Speaker 3: Every like a historically good program where we.
Speaker 2: Might be like a you know, like we're like, yeah, we have the most national titles of anyone, and then right in pew pew baby in rifle. So yeah, football it is, without a doubt Pit. I think Pitt has ten or eleven in the Hall of Fame. W WVU has three. But basketball, men's and women's baseball, anything else, I'll I'll take WV without a doubt. H Gadson in fantasy football this year.
Speaker 3: I think he's a little bit of fools gold because they want to play with heavier personnel. They brought in a full back, they brought in the Joku, they brought in Cohler, So Gadson is not a blocker at all as a tight end, and he had a really nice stint there as a productive fantasy option for you. But I think they're going to play with a lot more heavier personnel and Harbaugh loves that stuff and bang, yeah, I don't think there'd be a lot of receivers on the field. I don't think that there's going to be. They brought an alex Ingold to full back, you know, so I think he'll get drafted, probably not by me in most fantasy leagues, because he did show glimpses and he's a really good receiver, but he doesn't block a soul, And I think they want big body people real quick.
Speaker 2: I would assume the answer is yes. But if Aaron Donald comes back, that resets his five year clock for campus, I.
Speaker 3: Assume it's just like Rivers. I would but last year, right.
Speaker 2: Because that did for Rivers? Right, that even just a couple of games is.
Speaker 3: A lot to give up.
Speaker 2: That's a lot to give up, Pillen Rivers a lot to give up.
Speaker 3: They come in and look okay for a two.
Speaker 2: Games, Aaron Donald, it's a whole season and you've got a shot to win another Super Bowl.
Speaker 3: You're going to like the best team in the league. But I do think that I was thinking about that the other day. How many years has he been gone? Too?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 3: I think Philip Rivers would have been up this year.
Speaker 2: I believe you're right.
Speaker 3: I mean he would have been competing with Ben.
Speaker 2: Yes, Aaron Donald has been out the last two seasons.
Speaker 3: Okay, so he retired three years out of his he waits three years longer.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, not much for a chance to win a Super Bowl. I think that's probably a fair.
Speaker 3: And I don't know if Rivers was going for sure, Donald's going for sure for sure Donald's first ballot. Rivers would get my vote, but he's it's a debate Donald.
Speaker 2: Donald is Donald is first ballot? Or what the heck are we doing here? Yeah, Matt Robot stopping for some maintenance. We're going to do a quick pit stop for a for a break here as well too. We'll continue some conversation on the other side. We've been talking a lot of tight ends today, some interesting comments from Darnell Washington that we'll get to, and a whole bunch more as we roll along here in our bone, our West Ruler, Matt Williamson. It's the Drive Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is live coverage of the twenty twenty six Steelers training camp on the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, Easy to Drink, Easy to Enjoy, and brought to you in part by Pennsylvania One Call Systems Dial eight one one before You dig SNT Bank People Forward Banking by Kalucy Chevrolet, serving the Pittsburgh area for over one hundred and eight years. Clearview Federal Credit Union, for every touchdown the Black and Gold score. In twenty twenty six, Clearview will donate five hundred dollars to the Light of Life Mission listit CLEARVIEWFCU dot org and by iron.
Speaker 6: Workers Local Union number three. We don't go to the office, We build it.
Speaker 2: Rolling along here in our final hour of coverage today on day three from Steelers training camp. Of course, at Big Day tomorrow, Haul of Honor class going to be announced at ten am right here on SNR. And it will be the final of four acclamation practices for the Steelers. All is part of Welcome Back to Football weekend across the NFL. It's always a lot of fun, always a lot of high energy on campus here for that first Saturday practice. And I know somebody that all of Steeler Nation wants to see this year is, of course, Darnell Washington, won a Matt's Favorites, the big Guy, the tight end. We spent some time, a decent amount of time today on the show from a fantasy football perspective and then just an overarching perspective talking about tight ends. Here's what the Steelers big man, Mount Washington had to say after practice.
Speaker 3: Offense, Miss Kenny Ginnell and how do you think the running backs that have been.
Speaker 6: Brought in will off set that?
Speaker 4: I mean, I miss him, but I feel like, yes, I know, well I'm not gonna say no, but yes, everybody know KG. You know, he was you know, a stule last year, and I mean he's gonna continue to be that, but then we brought in new talent. Not going to compare those two kind of guys, but you know, we brought in new talent.
Speaker 3: So you've been through some injury stuff.
Speaker 2: What's have been like to see product come back with How have you guys been there for.
Speaker 6: Getting during this?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 4: Me personally, you know, I go way back with Rod, you know, just being in his corner. Uh, I know, his injury a lot more different than minds. I you know, just really just try to be in his corner and just be by the side through it all so emotional and all that. So if he needs somebody to been to, he knows he can come to me and talk about it.
Speaker 3: Do you like the fact that you guys have an offensive mind you this year?
Speaker 5: I mean nothing against my commis, but it seems like a lot of them offensives gonna be pretty excited about.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I feel like me for sure. This this my first time ever in football. Even go back to Georgia, Kirby Smart. Everybody knows he's a defensive mind, you know, Mike t defensive mind. So so this is my first time ever experiencing it, you know, in football. So, uh, it's a lot different. I enjoy it, you know, just because like the head coaches like you know, like he's he's cool, but you know, like when you mess up, he's also get on you can you know, get out there, which I mean all he doing is coaching. So all all we can do is to get better and just take it in and soak it in and you know, just continue to get better.
Speaker 2: Is that one of the reasons or did it play into the fact that if you signed that extension you.
Speaker 6: Wanted to be here?
Speaker 4: I mean, I for sure wanted to be here. But I mean I can't tell you what they think from us there, So I don't know that.
Speaker 2: It was a really impressive teeming to drive that the offense office. So if you guys don't abdy' just what did you see from them? How do you guys feel picking with the ball time?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 4: Just just some things I picked up on it, you know, just seeing one of our brothers make a play and then it's just like get you excited, you know, just for uh, just make make me want to make the next play next. So I feel like you're feeding off each other energy and just just continue to dry it down the field. Feel like things are moving first here like already a couple of days in or uh to me, same page, you know, I kind of just like to take it day by day, just be where my feet is.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I know we're early.
Speaker 1: In the process, but do you feel like there are a ton of changes on offense you feel comfortable?
Speaker 4: For me, yes, just you know it kind of just go back on the uh, you know, head coach being an office of mind god. So just seeing the head coach and the offense of unit meeting, that's that's a lot different from me. So yeah, probably the most important question I was the Probably the wedding. It was fun, you know that that was actually my first wedding obviously besides mine, but my first wedding I intended as a guest ever in my life, and you know, Pat money Man, So just seeing just seeing everything said I like that, you know, it was amazing first wedding and you know, I enjoyed it a lot.
Speaker 2: Mount Washington speaking after practice Matt good amount of tight end conversation on the show today, Yeah, a lot, and obviously here in Pittsburgh. But I think now across the league, Darnel Washington is one of those guys that everybody is very interested to see what it looks like for him in year three in this new Mike McCarthy offense.
Speaker 3: I mean, he's super interesting no matter what, even if he's just a blogger, I mean he's a rare cat. I still think there's a lot more receiving potential there too.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I would bank on it, but I think he's got the possibility to end up on some of those top ten titens lists at some point in his Even though.
Speaker 3: He catches like forty balls in a year, I mean, his impact in the game is way way more.
Speaker 2: He could be a force in the red zone, he could be a force in the run game, and certainly one of the more intriguing Steelers, and I think just guys across the national I think it.
Speaker 3: Was the combine. Remember when Omar was at the podium and they were talking about all these extensions coming up and he's never going to show his hand. But I remember when someone asked him about Darnell, he went, I'll take twenty two of them.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 3: He did, like he didn't even hesitate.
Speaker 2: I'm like, oh's And then the extension got done pretty quickly.
Speaker 3: Pretty quickly, and it was a big number, but it should.
Speaker 2: Be absolutely absolutely big number for a big man there Mount Washington and hoping for big things from him and Pat Fryermuth here in twenty yeah, twenty six. One more segment to go when we return on the other side, will wrap up the day's proceedings on this Friday edition bonus hour of the Drive Euler and Williamson. It's all part of our ongoing training camp coverage Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is live coverage of twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp on the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, Easy to Drink, Easy to Enjoy, and brought to you in part by Pennsylvania One Call Systems Dial eight one one before You dig SNT Bank People Forward Banking by Kalucy Chevrolet, serving the Pittsburgh area for over.
Speaker 6: One hundred and eight years. Clearview Federal Credit.
Speaker 1: Union for every touchdown the Black and Gold score in twenty twenty six, Clearview will donate five hundred dollars to the Light of Life mission list in CLEARVIEWFCU dot.
Speaker 6: Org and by iron Workers Local Union Number three. You don't go to the office, We build it.
Speaker 2: Final segment of the day for us here on the drive. Final segment for our Day three coverage from St. Vincent College of course, Chuck nol Field here. All part of Steelers training camp twenty twenty six. Fourth practice will be tomorrow. Reminder, it's Hall of Honor Day. It's Welcome back to football day across the NFL.
Speaker 3: That will be fun.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be a lot of fun, lot of and that Saturday crowd tomorrow I think is gonna be oh yeah, insane. Weather report looks great too. I think in the evening it's supposed to rain a little bit, but it'll be completely fine throughout the late morning, early afternoon. Hall of Honor, Welcome back to football. First Saturday practice. It's gonna be jumping in here for the Steelers fourth and final acclamation practice.
Speaker 3: Very cool. Now I'm looking forward to.
Speaker 2: No I am too, and obviously we'll look forward to a little day off Sunday, going home and seeing our families, and then back on Monday for what's going to be another big day here because the pads go on and the Pat McAfee show is going to be broadcast. Fay the baseball field right to Matt and I's left here. So a lot of moving and shaking over these next few days on campus. The man who is in charge of all of it, the conductor of this of this process for the Steelers, Mike McCarthy speaking ahead of practice.
Speaker 3: Sticking with quarterbacks for a second, just in the short time you've had to work with them in the offseason, where have they begun to show some progress?
Speaker 6: And what more would be the points of emphasis during their training camp here?
Speaker 3: Well, the's fundamental.
Speaker 5: It's in every day, all day deal. I mean, just being in the meetings. I think Aaron is doing in an exceptional job just sharing the past experiences and as we're able to go through the quarterback school and so, you know, just all the little tidbits and you know, the guys are definitely soaking it up. So that's an ongoing you know, I mean, that's it never ends, you know, So I mean that's why you do it. It's the baseline of everything we do as far as playing from the pocket. So you know, the young guys are doing a good job there, but they need reps. You know, they need seven on seven's. I need the group work, you know, just the progression of the drill work showing up into the competitive work. So, I mean this is obviously a critical time of year for them, and you know the preseason will be big for the young guys.
Speaker 3: Like you mentioned mock game. That what you said, Todor, what does that really entail?
Speaker 5: Uh, it's just trying to hit all the different situations that occur throughout the game. You know, it's you have a primary emphasis for instance, it's kind of it's cut into two two phases. You know, the first phase is game management and special teams. You know, one of the things throughout the year is just you know, through through experience. You know, you get down to the first preseason game and you know your boundary, your boundary communication, your boundary management is something that you know you usually just work on right before you go out. So you know, it's a ninety man roster. So we're My point is we're hitting those things now. You know, I don't think you can do enough situational work, the awareness of it, the importance of stressing the defense with the personnel group, having the right personnel groups, just all the little things that go into the makeup of a game.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: Then you get into the second part of it, and you know, like today's second part is really review the last two days, so we kind of it's a format I've always tried to kind of go one or two, you know, one do two installs review two installs reviews. So it's and it kind of matches the workload capacity of what you're looking for as far as like next week we have two padded practices review, then we'll have three padded practices. Once will be the biggest stress point and it's more going into the Saturday night UH scrimmage in downtown. So so just you know, it's a flow that really works physically mentally, and it really gives you a chance to hit all the situations.
Speaker 7: Mike Spencer Anderson and Dylan Cooker played a lot of roles here through OTA's Mini camp first couple of days. I understand that I've been pads on you. What have you seen from those two.
Speaker 6: On the right side.
Speaker 5: Well, I'd just like to recognize your first point. I mean, it's it's an excellent example with I think we talked about the other day. I mean you talk about position flex. You know, those guys to find that very well, and that's a real credit to them what they've done in the past and and how we view them their ability to play multiple positions, but also give them a chance to compete to win a job, you win a starting job. So been very impressed with their work, and you know the old line of D line. I'm sure they're you know, they're looking forward to getting past the Mars practice because you know they can get in the pads and you know, things can get you know, get get into the real stuff for them. But I think both those guys have done done an excellent job so far, Mike. So far, Roman's gotten a lot of work, kind of a lot of passes.
Speaker 3: Aaron's gone his way a lot.
Speaker 5: How have you kind of seen Roman, uh kind of evolve throughout just the short time you've had with him, and how has he taken to these opportunities. You know, I just look back to you know, Roman and like a lot of things in life, you know, I look at with the first impression. Frankly, him and I were walking up from the meat or driving back from the meeting yesterday, and we're talking about the Michigan working out, you know, and he's you know, he came out. I was at the workout, and we're talking about, you know, the Harball family and just what impressive team it was and how impressive, uh, that whole workout was. And you know, him coming out of college and and then you know, and going back to when when I arrived here, we had a conversation on the phone, you know, you want to introduce himself, and you know, talked about you know, his his first year and and and really and this really hasn't changed in then I said, I need you to be a multiple physician player. I said, I want to be able to line you up both inside and outside. He's going a hell of a job inside. Frank I'm gonna you know, everything talking to him about this. But I think we can start working a little bit more outside too, because you know, his vertical his vertical speed and and his ability to you know, we call it the audobonn out there on the numbers. I think he's he's an excellent, has an excellent skill set for that also too so. But he's done a really nice job. I mean he can line up at exit the n F and you know, so so far he's done exactly what we asked.
Speaker 3: Anyone else, Mike Travis Homer, Uh, he looks like he's uh has a lot of leadership duties on Special Teams so far? What did you know about him from the Special.
Speaker 1: Teams where in the pass to kind of hand him to personal protector job?
Speaker 5: Right, Holt in the first Well, I mean we're you know, we're working reps and so forth. I think it obviously his history is he's a veteran Special Teams player. But yeah, I'm once again, I'm looking forward to getting into the padded work. And you know that that personal protector is important cause obviously the identification responsibility and and you do want to experienced player in there, you know. But we got some good young guy. We got some young guys that that that uh, you know, will have an opportunity in there.
Speaker 4: Also think I know, uh, how's aren't on yet, But how do you anticipate the guys in in your previous experience being able to bring some about physicality without full tackle.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I I think I must have done a bad job with the Our practice will be physical, you know. I think the only thing that's different is we don't want to go to the ground and in risky injury. But I think everything else will look will look the same.
Speaker 7: Mike, There's been some opportunities for Sante Samuel Junior in camp and he's been noticeable. What what's jumped out to you about him? And could he be a you know guy that work into the mix during the season.
Speaker 5: I know, personally I'm kind of on him.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: It's just like anything in this league. You know, you come into a new job, new situation, especially as the head coach. Uh, there's individuals that you know obviously compete against his father, you know, but he's he's he's frankly been one of my favorite players, you know, since I arrived there. I just love the way he works. He's extremely physical. His his ball skills are off the charts. You know, that's a big thing of you know, that's that's something I really look for in defensive backs. We want to take the ball away, catch the flash of the ball, and he has all that and he's done. You know, he's he's been here every single day off season program. He's had two really good practices so far. You know, he really had his first day, he had did a really nice job. So I think I think the young man's a hell of a football player.
Speaker 2: What's it like working with him? After you said competing against his dads?
Speaker 4: That happened?
Speaker 2: How often has that happened to you?
Speaker 5: Well, you know, you know, you know where they are because they're going to pick the ball off. So you know his father was the same way, So you're definitely conscious that would were I think it was talking hard about you know, were talking about the flag football candidates, and I think his name was one of the names come up. I mean, he'd be on my flag football team too, So I mean he could play you know how, I play him one offense just because of his skill set. But he's he's a very talented young man.
Speaker 2: What else do you have on that flag football candidate list?
Speaker 3: You got to go now, right?
Speaker 6: For that two years, Mike, you've you've talked to us about things like GPS.
Speaker 3: Monitoring and you know, some sports science type of stuff.
Speaker 7: Is that something that you've always kind of leaned into or is there a point in your coaching journey starting to you know, explore those kinds of topics a little bit more.
Speaker 5: Very fortunate to come up in some excellent programs. You know, I've worked for you, great organizations. I've been around people, you know, my whole career that you know, we're forthcoming, you know, been exposed to a lot. But you know, as a head coach, you know it's I frankly look at it's part, you know, part of your job responsibility. Those are tools. GPS is a tool, supports science is a tool there, but still it's a people's game. I think we got to be conscious of that. I'm not gonna you know, GPS is part of the is part of the evaluation. It's not going to drive every decision that we make. That's that's not realistic. You know. The human part of this is uh, you know, I think we want to refer more to the steel mill operation than we do it to the GPS, so that that that won't change here, Uh.
Speaker 3: Never never will.
Speaker 5: But those are really good tools that have been exposed to and just have used them and have history and now I'll be able to do it in three places. You know, So you got you have criteria that you're able to interact with both the you know, trainers in the strength and conditioning coaches, and it has served us well. You know, I think we've clearly, I know, first using it, I'm gonna say twenty percent was the number that kind of jumps out of me, just when you look at practice and you try to reduce the fatigue injuries. You know, we were higher in my earlier days as a head coach, but I think it's probably more of a product of how you trained back then too. You know, you practiced a lot more, you had more team meetings and so forth, and you can see that just in the practice reps. So blessed the coach in that in that era as a head coach, because you know, you know how many reps you know, you say, if you get eleven hundred reps as an offense during the season, you try to emulate that in your training camp. So and now that's opportunity does not exist, you know, because of the limits. You know, but where do you get those reps? And that's where the mock game's important, you know, that's these mock games and the quarterback extra critical in the offensive line. They're critical in these mock game situations because they control the tempo and the pace and the you know, the pre snap part of it. So these are really quality reps that we get in these mock games and it still keeps me hitting the totals that I'm comfortable and used to training a football team. So so just been fortunate to be part of the old age, you know in the nineties, fifteen days in a row of two days and pads. You know, I'd go to Jill to day if if I try to do that, but you know, but just to have the understanding of what that looks like and how you how you do that and just try to you know, practice safer.
Speaker 4: You've given Dylan Everett some challenging assignments all the way back to ot as obviously DK kind of got him yesterday.
Speaker 3: What do you look for a young player in terms of response to the moment, they.
Speaker 5: Think, exactly what he did. I mean, that's what you want. It's you know, it's a seven route. He's holding his leverage and you got to you know, extraordinary athletes going to keep competing, you know, making plays on the ball, and that's that's you know, to me, that's that's a high quality rep because of the big play importance in our game. You know, you have to make those plays and you know, obviously you can see the trust there and had a DK to where you put the ball and you know DK won that battle. So you can't get enough of those reps, you know, for all of our guys. But yeah, he's you know, he doesn't look like a rookie.
Speaker 2: I've been impressed with Micha McCarthy there speaking laying down kind of the the objectives with the mock game that the Steelers had in practice today. Matt, And that's another day for us in the books.
Speaker 3: Yeah, gone along quick, we say that, and then you get to like every two it's like boys starting to drag a little bit. Yeah, like the same thing every year.
Speaker 2: We are ready for the pads to go on on Monday, without a doubt. But we are looking forward to to a big Saturday. Like we've said here a couple of times on campus Hall of Honor announcement that will be at ten am right here on s n R Steelers Audio Network, Steelers Nation Radio tomorrow. You'll hear you'll hear Labs, you'll hear mister Rooney and and that's always a fun special bay here down at the Rogers Center on campus just to our right as they introduce the new Hall of Honor class for your Pittsburgh Steelers, and of course it will be welcome back to football Saturday here and we're expecting a big crowd for the first weekend practice as always. You know, Steeler Nation is going to come out in droves. But that will do it for Matt and I for today. Thanks to our guy Justin for producing back at the ranch, and thanks to the Green Line painting robot for keeping us entertained over the last three hours.
Speaker 3: Absolutely he deserves a lot of credit.
Speaker 2: He's finally onto field number two, so only only took that robot about two and a half hours to one field.
Speaker 3: But you know what, I think that was segment one. We were like, whoa, what is that?
Speaker 2: It's Jesus, it's been a slow process. But you know what, slow and steady wins the race. At least that's what I was told when I was growing up.
Speaker 3: Let's let's remember this for a week from now when they do it again, like they got it down? Pat, is it better this the next time around?
Speaker 2: That's all we're looking for this time. Improve it better every single day or something like that for Matt Williams and Unleshuler. Take care, everybody. We will talk to you tonight. As always, you know where to find us. Our coverage from training camp starts at nine am here at Saint Vincent College and it's always on your twenty four to seven home of the Black and Gold Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network