Speaker 1: Welcome to the solid verbo hell that for me, I'm a man, I'm forty. I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy. You want to be happy for a day at the steak? Is that woo woom?
Speaker 2: And then and Tye, welcome back to the Soliburble boys and girls. My name is ty hilden Brandt. You'll hear from Dan Rubinstein here momentarily because this is another excerpt from College Football Thursdays. It's the live show we do on Spotify every Thursday night, five pm East, two pm West. We would encourage you to join next week. If you weren't able to make it this week, that's fine. Check out soliverble dot com slash Spotify. That is soliverble dot com slash Spotify again. We do it every Thursday evening. We play games, we make picks. The excerpt you are about to hear is Dan and I talking about weird stuff college football weirdness, as you may have heard us say when we did our previews this week. Week four does not have any obvious headliners, and oftentimes at college football it's the weird weeks. It's the quiet weeks that jump up and get you and produce just the weird outcomes, the weird situations that make college football great. So we went through and we wanted to talk about the weird circumstances we could be talking about when we do our recap show for week four. Again, thank you so much for downloading, listening, and supporting the solid verbal. We will be back next week to talk all things week four. In the meantime, here's a little blurb from college Football Thursdays. Let's talk about some weird college football stuff stuff.
Speaker 1: Dan, you're really going for it today. Your voice is back and you are You're digging deep.
Speaker 2: I am digging deep. We are looking for results. We are looking for game situations that would make for the most entertaining retelling when we do our recap show on Sunday. Have you given a look to this slate? What is the weirdest possible thing that could happen this week?
Speaker 1: Iowa and Rutgers hitting the over, although it keeps coming down, so that's I guess less and less relatively impressive.
Speaker 2: But it's still over under the over. I tweeted this out shortly before we went live. This single most confusing thing that could happen, not just this week, maybe all year is Iowa and Rutgers getting into a shootout. The over under currently is thirty three and a half points. That is the lowest point total in college football in over twenty years, I believe since the year two thousand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I made that joke earlier in the week and even better.
Speaker 2: I don't know if this means there's any possibility of the over hitting or a shootout happened, But some hints this week. Did you see what Greg Ciano had to say? Some hints this week that maybe one of our favorite coaching tropes, maybe they would open up the offense.
Speaker 1: Got to open it up, really open it up.
Speaker 2: Maybe we'll open up the offense for this special game against Iowa as if they were holding back against their previous opponents. Maybe we'll open it up, open it up for this game against Iowa.
Speaker 1: Dan, it would be great if in the preseason, in fall camp, Kirk Farns in a press conference said, you know, really thinking about closing up the playbook even more, really thinking about narrowing. It's gonna be.
Speaker 2: Tech mobile out there. Four plays, keep it simple, Maybe run a few variations off that and expand to eight.
Speaker 1: Iowa Rutgers thirty four. I'm seeing maybe thirty three and a half at the moment. Wow, I mean, so the big surprise there would be great quarterback play or even I guess comp quarterback playing like well. Final score twenty eight twenty four. Fifty is not a huge number to hit as far as win total or point totals go. No, if they were to surpass fifty, that would be like eyeballs popping out of your head, tongue wagging, slapping the ground like a cartoon wolf. I can't believe what I'm looking at here. The thing is, I hate betting unders. I hate it because it's such a buzzkill, Like I just want to say some points, but this is rooting against action.
Speaker 2: But this is so comically low. It's so comically low that I'm conflicted because normally I would bet over because I want to see action, and clearly I don't want to see a game that has twenty total points. That just seems boring as hell. So I'm inclined to go over just because it's so low. I'm also inclined to go under, just so twenty years from now, I can say I was there, when I was there, when this game was decided on two field goals and a six nothing score.
Speaker 1: I'd have Wisconsin scoring twenty eight points against Ohio State as a very weird occurrence unless there are plural, multiple pick sixes. Really yeah, I'm just not a believer in this offense at all, with what they did against Wazoo. I know they got loose a little bit last week against no body, but.
Speaker 2: Six to seven against New Mexico State, Dan, come on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, shout out Skyler Bell. But I just I don't see that happening against Ohio State. There's just there are a few places where you're like, why are they ever bat at off Why are they ever like underwhelming at offense when they have that vision? And I can understand things growing stale. Excuse me, but the depths of where Wisconsin, who did end up winning a bunch of games last year after a pretty nightmarish September highlighted by was it the Notre Dame and Penn State games, Still it doesn't seem like much has changed. That there's a certain sloppiness to Wisconsin's offense that we saw against Washington State. That would be surprising to me that they get to twenty eight Kansas State getting to twenty eight. Maybe that's our like weird, like the hateful twenty eight. That's our number right now. It would be so it would be weird for me, even with the news story. I don't know if you have any Wisconsin offense thoughts. It would be weird to me if Quinn Yours were already back and he's well, the story is that he's going to dress. The story is that he's going to dress. So this I'm glad you brought up.
Speaker 2: Quin Yours because I was actually going to bring this up when he got done Quinn Yours. When he initially went down, the reports were all over the place the span of his injury, how long it would take to heal, and the initial report was two to six weeks. Now that's a bit of a spectrum, right, That's that's you Usually hear a little bit more specificity around and any kind of injury along along the lines of how much how much healing time is required, But two to six is a window. And then there have been reports along the way where Quinn Ewers is progressing better than better than expected. The prognosis maybe isn't as bad as initially thought. You know, that's still I mean, that's a huge deal for Texas. First off, if he comes back, because I think he's far and away the better quarterback there. What I was going to say as for a weird result would be Quinn, you weres playing playing well in Texas still losing, that would be odd, still losing on the road to Texas Tech, which you know, it may not come down to whoever is playing quarterback for the Longhorns. It may come down to whether or not the Texas defense can show the flashes that they showed against Alabama, or if we're going to see more of what the advanced numbers would tell us the efficiency numbers tell us about Texas football, which is they're going to have a hard time stopping the pass, particularly against a pass happy offense in the form of Texas Tech led by Zach Kittley, the new offensive coordinator.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it would be. It would be weird if at three h eight pm on Saturday, the prevailing whether it's Twitter, whether it's whatever, the prevailing bit of advice is you gotta get it on ESPN, Misszoo. Auburn is just going off. The game is going off. This is much like I don't know what's happening here. These guys are trading haymakers. This game is wild. That would be an unexpected weird thing to come across mid to late afternoon on Saturday afternoon, because I don't know. I'm not a believer. I'm sorry in either one of these teams, but I'm gonna flip it to the positive, TI, please. It would be a shock to me if, as I'm looking across the SEC, it would be a shock in an incredible way that Texas A and M got attacked together this week, and now I know they're getting healthier at receiver. Evan Stewart namely is coming back. They got a couple of young dbs back against Arkansas, which seems important against kJ Jefferson. It would be weird to me if this game weren't incredible, just because it always kind of is. Last year, I know was pretty disappointing. Yeah, and that was just one big play basically responsible for A and M's points. But this game is always it always seems to be because it's at Jerry World, always seems to be odd and comes down to a weird overtime moment or comes down to a last second thing. It would be weird to me if this game weren't incredible, because I just always look forward to it in the SEC.
Speaker 2: I think Florida going to Tennessee and winning by two touchdowns or multiple touchdowns would confuse every projection system I've seen so far this year. None of the metrics would know what to do with that, because nothing says that that's even a possibility. I think that'd be interesting.
Speaker 1: I think there is there's a certain amount of turbulence to Florida Tennessee. There just is.
Speaker 2: There is, there is rivalry game table for sure. Penn State being taken to the wire with Central Michigan seems plausible to me.
Speaker 1: That seems pausible to me. Taken to the wire four touchdown favorites, Yeah, that seems plausible to me. Penn State obviously let down spot Central Michigan could score points. We've already seen that this year. I don't think it's a bad off out. They can't stop any buddy, but offensively they're not bad. This seems like the kind of game Penn State takes off. They're not going to lose, But twenty eight points that seems like a stretch to me. I would I'm not going to include that in my tie versus the world. Bet Okay, I know if you if you were feeling really strongly about no.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, you were saying weirdness, weirdness potential, weirdness potential is there with the Penn State Central Michigan game. We got a lot of folks in the chat bringing up Oregon State and USC.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's let's deep.
Speaker 2: Dive running the full gamut from USC losing on a pick six, which would be that would actually be kind of funny.
Speaker 1: Poetic all the way to.
Speaker 2: Like what do we got here? Oh my gosh, there's a bunch of USC Oregon State thoughts here.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, in general, I think Oregon State beating USC. I don't care how they do it, but Oregon State beating USC feels entirely possible to me. It would also be very crushing for the PAC twelve, which I believe would cannibalize itself earlier than usual if that were the case, Like I guess, I guess Washington still has a chance in Utah. You know, Utah would have to get its act together and impress in a way that they didn't back in week one. But right now, there's so much steam on USC that losing on the road to Oregon State would would be a pretty big dagger to the Pac twelve.
Speaker 1: If that game were a seventeen thirteen final, that would be a surprise to me. With some of the down moments from these defenses. You know, it wouldn't be weird. It wouldn't be a surprise if Oregon State pulled it off. Jonathan Smith, I saw it in a couple different places, has had success against Alex Grinch, going back to their time competing against each other in the Apple Cup. Different sort of roster, especially on defense for those Washington teams with you know, Buddha Baker and Videvea, guys like that. But no, given i mean US comfortably won this game last year in LA and given the different ways in which Oregon State on offense can gash teams, I'm just I'm worried about the Oregon State defense. I'm I'm worried that the safety valve on that offense, Luke Musgrave is out for this game. Some shaky kicking at times for Oregon State. That US is not an excellent team. So to say that you need to be buttoned up to beat USC isn't totally true. But it'd be nicer to be healthier if you're Oregon State and to have a defense that you could count on a little bit more than what you've been able to these past couple of years. But teams get better, teams improve on either side of the ball. I'm just I'd be surprised if it were low scoring to me with these defenses.
Speaker 2: A bunch of awesome suggestions here in the chat, let me see if I can get to as many of these as I can. We've got Shaye, We've got Alex talking about the Maryland Michigan game. Maryland blowing out Michigan. I mean that would be a huge surprise, Shay, or Maryland just upsetting Michigan would definitely be a big deal. We know Maryland can score. I don't know if I trust him to win. But alas, we've got Nathan saying, weirdest thing would be Arkansas and A and M playing a totally normal, boring game in Arlington. To your point, Dan, right, this is a game that just oozes weirdness. It's sort of what the matchup is made out of.
Speaker 1: Here we go.
Speaker 2: Jeff Collins fired at halftime by getting run over by the Rambling wreck at the fifties.
Speaker 1: Oh, pick gruesome. I don't mean to laugh at violence.
Speaker 2: That would be weird, that would that would definitely be weird. We've got other ones here. Let's see, We've got someone calls it cor Vegas cor Vaalus. I've never heard that one. I like. I like that one. Navy playing ECU can't bet on the pirates against the United States Naval Academy just out of principle, I agree with that.
Speaker 1: What's happened in the Sunbeast?
Speaker 2: Tie?
Speaker 1: What's coastal in the Sunbast? We have Coastal tonight, Coastal Carolina on the road against Georgia State. Yeah, I quietly liked the Panthers and Coastal Carolina despite George staping all on three only two and a half point favorites. So that's sneaky, weird jmu App State tie. It would be weird if this weren't No, I'm not saying I'm not picking right now. I'm just saying, you'd be weird if this wasn't crazy, right.
Speaker 2: I think it might be a blowout. Honestly, I think App State's going to blow him out, all right?
Speaker 1: That does it Forballers.
Speaker 2: Thank you again for your undying support as we go through this here college football season. We will be back on Monday talking all things week four. If you're a verballer at verballers dot com, get a little bit early access to that recap show, which we'll record live on Sunday morning. Enjoy your weekend, Enjoy your weekend of college football.
Speaker 1: Stay solid,