Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. I'm Stephen Carol and this is Here's Why, where we take one news story and explain it in just a few minutes with our experts here at Bloomberg.
Speaker 2: It's a landmark move that aims to keep those on the sixteen off certain social media platforms. Children can no longer have their own accounts, and fans violating the rule phase fines of up to thirty three million dollars.
Speaker 1: They said it couldn't be done, but Australia is showing just how we could.
Speaker 2: Do it, and I think we've reached a point where the evidence is unambiguous.
Speaker 1: The addictive schooling is damaging.
Speaker 3: To their mental health. This platform is scino bot by, you know, essentially hooking these users young, because the younger that they get on these platforms, the more likely they are to continue using them in the future.
Speaker 2: These laws are popular all around the world because parents need help. They're tired of fighting with their kids about cell phones and and social media.
Speaker 1: It's a subject that unites parents and politicians the need to protect young people from the harmful effects of social media. Australia led the way last year when it banned under sixteens from accessing social platforms. A host of European countries are planning similar age restrictions. The European Union wants to impose a phased and gradual access for young people based on how old they are. Such measures aren't perfect, but they are having an effect for both users and for tech companies. Here's why social media bands are driving change. Bloomberg opinion columnist Parmeolsen joins us Now for more. Parme Australia was the first to impose a blanket ban. What do we know about how effective it's been.
Speaker 3: Well, it's still pretty early days. But from some of the first studies that are looking at teenagers asking them questions about their use of social media before the ban and then after the band, there's one in particular by the BMJ and it found actually not much difference. Most teenagers under sixteens, because this is a band in Australia that applies to children under the age of sixteen, are still using those platforms, so there's not really a big gap between kids who are unjust under sixteen or just over sixteen. They're all still using it. And part of the reason is relatively weak age checks, so you know, one of the most common ways that sites are now verifying an age is simply through self declaration, and then kids also just have to upload a selfie. So I think what that has really shown is that legislating a ban like this isn't going to make a big change necessarily unless it's enforced properly. It's not the same as enforcing it. So again, it's early days, so maybe that will change, and I'm sure it will because there's a lot more than just what's happening in Australia. There's a real momentum growing globally with many different countries who also want to enact similar bands. But to start with, for Australia as the pioneer of this, it's taken a while to really have an effect on teenagers.
Speaker 1: I mean, let's talk a bit about this global drive. Then why are so many other policymakers pushing ahead with measures like this even if the evidence we have so far isn't terribly strong about their effectiveness.
Speaker 3: I think it's because this is what parents want and it really shouldn't surprise and I think this is sort of a long time coming. If we think back to the Cambridge Analytica scandal with Facebook. This was probably the real turning point for the general public's perception of technology companies. And ever since then, as these companies have grown bigger and the users on their platforms have gone into the billions of people, and there's been more reporting in the press and whistleblowers showing the harmful side effects of being on social media, the toxic content, the going down rabbit holes, the misinformation and conspiracy theories, and you know, teenage girls who feel worse about themselves when they're on Instagram. That was a very famous study that came out of Facebook's own research, and we know about that because of the whistleblower, Francis Hogan, who released a whole trove of documents. So all this over the last you know, five to ten years, has been slowly building this gradual kind of understanding that actually, while these platforms are fun to use and they are addictive and people you know, scratch this kind of mental itch when they get to go on their Instagram or Snap or whatever it is, there is this toxic side effect and it's particularly worrying for young people. For kids, it can potentially exacerbate loneliness, bullying, deep fake nudes. All these kinds of other potential second order effects are coming out of the addictive qualities of these platforms that cause, as far as we understand, so many teenagers to be on them for so long. And so there's been a real backlash not just from governments, but I think it started sort of in the grassroots with parents Here in the UK. About a year ago we had this campaign among parents through WhatsApp, kind of spreading the word of signing petitions and joining groups where parents were agreeing to not give their kids smartphones and not let their kids on social media when they go into secondary school. So this has really been building for some time, and now we're at a point where many countries in the European Union are talking about also enacting bands. The United Kingdom is also in acting bands. And while in the US the federal government doesn't want to have anything to do with this, they're actually kind of antagonistic against this. They they've even stopped some safety officials from Europe getting visas to go into the US and called on a couple of them to testify and kind of see them as this kind of censorship complex. Actually, quite a number of US states are also looking into potential bands or potential laws that can try and prevent young people from getting addicted to social media early on or using social media platforms.
Speaker 1: So how have the tech companies then responded to this pressure from regulators, be it in the form of the ban in the case of Australia and other countries, or other methods.
Speaker 3: Well, from what we can tell, there's been, as you might predict, a kind of bare minimum compliance in terms of actually, you know, stopping kids from using these platforms, to the point now where five platforms are on formal investigation by the Australian government over there properly complying with the law, including Instagram, Facebook, TikTok and YouTube. And I think it's you know again, this shouldn't surprise you. Young people are perhaps the most important cohort of the users for these companies. They are the most engaged and they represent their future revenue base over the next few decades. So it's very important to these companies that actually young people do stay on their platforms and go to them almost as a kind of natural thing to do. And what I always find what kind of blows my mind is, you know, if you think about it, meta platforms the owner of Facebook and Instagram, and Alphabet the owner of YouTube. They're incredibly good at ad targeting and getting to know their users on a very fine grained basis, the demographics of their users, and so I think in a lot of ways, and we don't have full clarity on this, but they can certainly get a close approximation of the ages of their users just based on their behavior on the site and what they're looking at. Now whether they actually take that into account and do anything about that is another matter. So you know, the technical ability to stop under sixteens from coming on the platform is there, but the incentive is not.
Speaker 1: The social platforms say that they're investing in enforcement of the Australian band, but Metas also talked about accurately determining a user's age being a challenge for the whole industry. So, besides the age related bands, what other methods are regulators looking at to try to reduce the harm from social media.
Speaker 3: Well, there's a really interesting bill that's being tabled this year called the Digital Fairness Act by you Justice Minister Michael McGrath, and it's aimed at creating a more level and fair platforms for consumers generally trying to get rid of the sort of the dark patterns that you might have on websites that trick people into clicking something when they don't really want to click something. And part of that also addresses the addictive nature of many social media feeds. So one of the features that this bill is targeting is auto play. So when you go on YouTube, you're watching a video and then just as you're getting to the end, another video as already teed up and just plays automatically. And that's one part of YouTube's kind of secret sauce for keeping people on the platform for a long time. The infinite scroll. You know, when you're scrolling through Instagram or Facebook, it never ends. But what if can you imagine you're scrolling and then you get a little notification saying that's it, You're all caught up, there's nothing left to scroll. And so what this bill is pushing for is that tech companies turn off those features by default. So if I want the infinite scroll, I have to actually turn it, but by default it will be off. If that bill doesn't get watered down, that could be really interesting in terms of addressing some of the very key issues that have been coming up in the jury trials against social media companies that we saw in the US today, exactly those addictive features and those design patterns that are kind of fundamental to keeping people on the sites and helping them make money. I think the big question is whether that law does get watered down before it's kind of formalized. There's been a huge lobbying effort here in Europe towards MEPs and officials who are working on and who are voting on that bill, and the kind of the big argument from tech companies is that if you pass a law like that, then it's going to hurt innovation in Europe and it's going to hold back Europe's prospects in terms of getting an economic benefit from technology, which I think is complete hogwash because the real reason that the European tech businesses here don't do well is because they don't get enough funding. It's I don't think regulation is really the issue, particularly regulation that addresses the harmful side effects of the biggest social media firms. Another way that bill could get watered down is that it's only applied to children or to teenagers, So I mean that would take away the potential benefits for adults who want to kind of avoid those side effects, but that could just be another way to address that issue for under sixteens.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're expecting that proposal from the European Commission later this year's We'll be watching that with great interest at PARMI thank you so much for joining us. Bloomberg Opinion columnist parme Els in there, and you can read Parmy's latest pieces by going to Bloomberg dot com forward slash Opinion. For more explanations like this from our team of three thousand journalists and analysts around the world, go to Bloomberg dot com slash explainers. I'm Stephen Carroll. This is here's why. I'll be back next week with more. Thanks for listening.