Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Our one.
Speaker 2: On this Tuesday, Dan and the Dant's Dan Patrick Show. Come on in stay a while. Gang's all here ready to go. The King of Comedy, the Minister of Humor, Todd Fritz in the back row. Dillan in for seating for one more day. Marvin is here with the gift that I got him when I went out west. You look great, man, Just for your favorite me. Yes, yeah, Marvin comes in and he goes, you know, I think I'm your favorite Dan ed I said, well, yesterday you were for a couple of moments. I brought you back a Chicago Bulls Championship T shirt from what nineteen ninety ninety.
Speaker 3: One, ninety one first championship.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you kind of look like Scottie Pippen. When I closed my good eye, you look like Scottie Pippen a little bit there with that.
Speaker 4: Thanks congratulations.
Speaker 2: PAULI is here the back room, guys, and we'll have a play of the day, pole question stat of the day. We have a garage sale going on, Dan Patrick. We're clearing out inventory for the spring. Everything must go, so take advantage of the opportunity. Stat of the Day is always brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show, and this first hour brought to you by Maco. Most cars on the road could use a little TLC bring your car back to life. Affordable paint jobs like collision repairs. Get a free estimate today. Uh oh, better get Maco. All right, Dylan, do you have pull questions today? To start out?
Speaker 5: I did, Dan, would you like one?
Speaker 4: That's why I asked to start out right?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Okay, next season, I would want my team to go with Aaron Rodgers or Russell Wilson.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well that is the conversation today because it feels like all the moves have happened over the last forty eight hours, but we still have landing spots for Russell Wilson and Aaron Rodgers. Now, if you're Aaron Rodgers, would you rather go to the Giants or the steel Now to me, it seems obvious you'd go to the Steelers because the Steelers are actually trying to do something that's kind of out of the norm for them. You bring in DK Metcal like you're it feels like they're realizing the Steeler way is maybe not the Steeler way. Steeler way might get you nine wins, Hey we got another winning record. How about a first round victory in the playoffs or two? That would be different that you take you back to the old days. And I think that's why I think they're being a little more aggressive with Aaron Rodgers. And maybe it's a one year Hey we won a playoff game here, as opposed to all right, we got Russell Wilson. He's a complimentary quarterback. He's good, he can be fine for us. The problem is the Steelers have been fine. They've been good, but they haven't been great. And if you're Mike Tomlin, if you're that front office, you're probably saying, all right, we got to do something to shake this up a little bit because you don't have that quarterback that you've had before, like Ben was there for a long period of time. You had Terry Bradshaw, you know, but you've had a lot of down years. But you tried Kenny Pickett, didn't work out. You bring in DK Metcalf, you got George Pickens. Although Najie Harris signed with the Chargers, and I'll talk about that coming up in a moment. That was one of those hmm, Okay, I like what the Chargers did, But I think that's why you go after Aaron Rodgers because you know what Russell Wilson will give you.
Speaker 4: For the most part. You know that.
Speaker 2: You may not know what you're getting with Aaron Rodgers, but you feel like the ceiling's a little bit higher there.
Speaker 4: If I'm Rogers, I would say.
Speaker 2: Pittsburgh the Giants, I don't get I mean, unless he just says, hey, I'm going to make it in New York. I'll make it with the other team. How far are you going with that team? You're going to draft Travis Hunter and then you got Melik Neighbors. Okay, that's interesting, but it feels like in Pittsburgh you've got a chance to actually do something.
Speaker 4: With New York, you're just going to be in New York for Russ.
Speaker 2: It feels like whatever Aaron Rodgers doesn't want to do will be the place for Russell Wilson. And it's kind of sad that it's come to that, but that's what it is for us now, is if Aaron wants to go to Pittsburgh, Russ would probably go to the Giants. And even if you go to the Giants. Are the Giants trading up trying to trade up to get cam Ward, which I would get a rookie contract at that position. Russ can be a band aid there and you know, maybe in a year's time you turn it over to cam Warn. But it feels like Russ has got to wait for what Aaron's going or the Steelers are going to wait for what Aaron Rodgers wants to do.
Speaker 4: Can they come up with a deal? How long's the deal?
Speaker 2: And then because other than that, Kirk Cousins is staying in Atlanta at least for the time being, I don't know if there's any other quarterbacking moves. You know, Jameis Winston's out there. Is he somebody that you could bring in? I guess? I mean Kenny Pickett's now with the Browns. What are the Browns going to do? They going to draft a quarterback? What happened to my guy DTR Dorian Thompson Robinson he got traded.
Speaker 3: I thought I.
Speaker 2: Thought that DTR was going to be a really good quarterback. Maybe not, Maybe he's just a backup quarterback there. But those are some of the things that are still kind of hanging in the balance. Chris Sims from Pro Football Talk will join us coming up a little bit. Lewis Riddick of the Brothership Auburn head coach Bruce Pearl back on the program. So recapping justin Fields goes to the Jets. I mentioned this yesterday that was probably going to happen, and then I said, has that he suffered enough? But this is a we got justin fields. We don't have any expectations here. We don't.
Speaker 4: We're good.
Speaker 2: I just kind of ease into the season and then we'll end the season and then we'll try to figure out where we're going after that. Seahawks grab Sam Darneld. That's a team friendly deal, and it you know it's one hundred million, but it's not.
Speaker 4: It's fifty five million.
Speaker 2: And Sam signed for what I've been saying for years now, quarterbacks need to find a sweet spot. He's not going to get fifty million. He wasn't going to get fifty million. He probably cost himself twenty five million the way he played the last two games of the season. But Seattle gets Sam Darnell. You don't have weapons, you don't have a good offensive line. Now the music's good in Seattle. Some good food up there in Seattle. Commander's got Laramie tunsel So. And I understand this from both sides here with the Texans, because the Texans are changing. I guess they're offensive philosophy. They're offensive line philosophy, new offensive coordinator. I don't want to go too deep into the weeds, but Laramie Tunsall had one more year and then he would be he's always asking for a contract extension or a pay raise. But all right, you get something for him, you got trade value, you got something for him. But you have a quarterback who was second sacked the second most times. You know, that's why we're Caleb Williams kind of made everybody forget about what happened in Houston. Houston had a terrible offensive line. Now they were in a bad division, but ended up making the playoffs. A lot of injuries, you know, certainly at the skill position. But I get it. The commanders are all in. I love it. I love the teams that go, we got this opportunity. Now, do I think the commanders are going to be as good next year?
Speaker 4: It's weird.
Speaker 2: I don't I think that it was, Oh my gosh, and then all of a sudden. I think they had what six or seven games that were decided final possession. You're not going to win all those like they did. You're probably going to win three of those, maybe four. That's you know, three or four different outcomes here for you. I think they take a step back, even though they went out and got Debo another year of experience for Jade and Daniels. But I just I've been around this sport so long that these things happen. Like the Texans, they were like, oh my god, came out of nowhere, and then they regressed a little bit this year. They did make the playoffs, but I didn't think they were going to make the playoffs. But Tunsell going to the Commanders, he gave up two and a half sacks last year that you know, in considering your quarterback was under duress as much as any other quarterback except for Caleb Williams. Tunsell did have a pretty good year. I think he led the league though in penalties. Josh Sweat goes to the Cardinals. What were his parents thinking, Josh Sweat, Like, it's just that's one of those Oh it's like a name that flows Josh Schweat. Yeah, it feels like it's Josh Schweat. How about Joshua Sweat? Yes, Marvin, Yeah, I enjoyed Joshua Sweat. Yeah, I said Josh wa Yeah. Just you know, being an announcer in a broadcaster, that's what I of course. I don't even know how good he's going to be for the Cardinals. I just know I'd hate to have to pronounce his name. Man, Josh what Josh period, pause, Commas and sweat. It's like Kirk Cousins, you know, like you say Kirk Cousins and it sounds like it's k U r T Cousins.
Speaker 6: Yes, Paul, you're right. I had never really said his name aloud. I just did it three times. I messed up too out of the last three times, Josh Sweat, Josh Wait, Josh Wait.
Speaker 2: March madness. So we'll talk to Chris Sims about football basketball. Last night I watch most of the the Wafford Furman game.
Speaker 4: It is wonderful. It was great back and.
Speaker 2: Forth, big baskets, great crowd, you know, and they always have a cutaway. Somebody's holding up an FU sign. My wife goes, are they allowed to do that? I go, no, that's the university f You I go, yes, Furman University.
Speaker 7: She goes, oh, they should change that. I go, oh, no, they shouldn't. F you Yes, Marvin poor Firman. I talked about this the other day. They had a great record than they were twenty five and eight all year, Wafford eighteen and thirteen, a tough year.
Speaker 2: The Terriers making their three pointers. Troy got in. Yeah, how about that. Congratulations Troy. I hope Joe Buck is happy to the Horizon League tonight. Northeast is on the line. Let's see the CAA. Isn't that an agent's in LA Creative Artists?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Damn.
Speaker 2: They got their own conference and the WCC Gonzaga against Saint Mary's. It feels like every year that those two go at it. Northeast Saint Francis PA versus Central Connecticut, the CIA, Delaware versus North Carolina, Wilmington, Youngstown State versus Bob Morris. That'll be the Horizon League left every year when you do Bob Bobby Morris? Yeah, who do we play? We're playing Bobby Morris? Who else? Just Bobby Morris? Alright? Eight seven seven three DP show Jonathan Allen and the Vikings three year deal sixty million dollars, defensive time man our defensive tackles back in vogue, Aaron Donald and Chris Jones. All of a sudden, Jalen Carter, you want yourself a defensive tackle. We gotta stop the run. See that's what's weird. The game is so cyclical. It was passing, well, it used to be running, running, running, then it became passing, passing, passing. Then all of a sudden, I go, somebody's eventually going to run the football because these defenses are geared to stop the pass. And here we go. All the running backs did great last year. A couple of running backs that go in the first round Ashton genty, maybe in the top ten. And now we got a load up on defensive tackles. Two time Pro Bowl defensive tackle Jonathan Allen a three year, sixty million dollar deal, according to Adam Schefter. All Right, so the poll question, or what's the wording on that, Dylan.
Speaker 5: The wording on that then is next season, I would want my team to go with Russell Wilson or Aaron Rodgers. So far russ has got one hundred percent of the vote.
Speaker 4: What three votes?
Speaker 2: Oh okay, but still it is one hundred percent well, okay, who should the Steelers go with?
Speaker 4: How about you just make it that who should this Steelers go with? You want to amend the yesh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I think that one's more. I don't think people are concerned about the Giants. I think the Steelers because they're the Steelers, their playoff team. You bring in DK Metcalf, That to me, I think is more interesting of who should they go after?
Speaker 4: Yes, pulling the past two seasons.
Speaker 6: Two years ago, Russell Wilson threw twenty six touchdowns and eight picks.
Speaker 4: That's pretty good.
Speaker 6: Last season, through sixteen touchdowns and five picks, he was a five hundred starting quarterback. It seems like he played way worse.
Speaker 4: Than that, doesn't it? Yes? Yeah?
Speaker 6: Is it likability or is it just he's not that threatening anymore? Those numbers are not bad.
Speaker 4: Well, last year they are.
Speaker 3: Well, he had.
Speaker 6: Eleven starts, sixteen and five. You would pro rate that out to twenty three and eight. Yeah, that's generics pedestrian.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and denver that last year those numbers were very deceptive. I mean, we've had guys who put up good numbers, but they're deceptive. Sam Darnold had a deceptively great season until you needed him to be great, and then he wasn't. Aaron Rodgers had a deceptively really good season with the Jets. If you say, if you said to the Steelers, your quarterback's going to give you twenty eight touchdowns eleven interceptions, You're going, hell, yes, you're gonna sign up. You just you got Mahomes. But the problem is the bottom line, he was five and twelve. I mean, that's the concern. The numbers were very deceptive, deceiving, and I think that's where you can go, Hey, I can twist these numbers however I want to.
Speaker 4: Yes, Doman.
Speaker 5: Oh, I just I mean the Rogers on the Jets I think was just an abject failure. You can cherry pick those numbers all you want, but they kept jetting as they usually do, and.
Speaker 4: Then he got jettisoned. And then he got jettison Yes he did.
Speaker 2: Has he been officially released by the Jets? I don't even know if he's I don't know how that works, like tomorrow, Is he officially released by the Jets. But we'll talk to Chris Sims about this. We'll get phone calls coming up. Operator Tyler sitting my eight seven to seven to three. DP show email address Dpadanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle the GP Show. Good morning, those watching on peacock, Thank you for downloading the app. We'll take a break more football right after this Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 8: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 3: You could catch us.
Speaker 8: Weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 8: We talk about everything live, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right, So check us out. We like to get you involved too. Take your phone calls, chop it up, as they say, I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the.
Speaker 3: Most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 8: Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich Live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: From five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And.
Speaker 8: If you miss any of the live show, just search Covin on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: Play of the Day coming up. We'll get to phone calls as well. As I mentioned, there's a big run on defensive tackles. Now got to stop the run. A guy named Milton Williams. He was in the Super Bowl, had a good Super Bowl. I think he played seven games. He signed one hundred million dollars deal with THEOTS. I think he had a couple of sacks that was it. But he didn't even start and twenty five years of age, he's gonna make a hundred million dollars big run on defensive tackles. There Chris Sims, Pro Football Talk Live co host and you can see him on Football Night in America. Give me the head scratcher there of all the moves, all the different signings.
Speaker 9: Well, okay, I mean I don't know if I got head scratchers, I got one that surprised me. I think the one that surprises me, maybe more than any is I did not think I would be sitting here Tuesday, after the first day of free agency uttering the words j C. Horn highest paid dB in NFL history. Right, that one was a little surprising to me. Good player. I get that, been injured a lot during his career. I know they need good defensive players there in Carolina. That was an issue, right, But they're paying them like he's Pat certain or Sauce Gardner, and he's certainly not that and hasn't been able to stay in the field that way.
Speaker 3: That to me was a surprising one.
Speaker 9: Again, I'm never gonna get mad at a team for signing a guy they like, they drafted, they see potential in. But I didn't think, again, it was going to be the highest paid dB in the history of football. That was That was surprising.
Speaker 4: And a lot of.
Speaker 2: Attention goes to the quarterbacks, and rightfully so, but this feels like this is the stock up on offensive and defensive lineman where it's not going to get headlines, but it's going to win you games.
Speaker 4: It's going to get you into the playoffs. It's going to help somebody win a super Bowl? Is there?
Speaker 3: That's right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, But is there a move that was let non skill level that you would go, wow, that's a big upgrade, or that that'll be a big difference for this team.
Speaker 9: Well, there's two teams that jump out and they have a number of moves, right, and the one you were kind of you were just making fun of a little bit, right with Milton Williams. But again, Dan, it's like, the first thing I got to say is this is how good the Eagles are.
Speaker 3: That they're an all star team. This is as good of a team as we've seen in a long, long time.
Speaker 9: Right, They're so good they stashed a guy that were paying seventeen million dollars a year, was the top free agent free agent pass rusher in last year's draft, and they said just sit on the bench.
Speaker 3: We're good enough, we could just we'll keep you there.
Speaker 9: So I knew and thought all along and said this yesterday that Milton Williams between the Cardinals and Jonathan Gandon, who was in Philadelphia.
Speaker 3: Of course Carolina got involved. That was a big deal.
Speaker 9: But further along with what they did there in New England, not only the Milton Williams trade, but to get carl are signing, get to get Carlton Davis, who was still a damn good corner, and now you got opposite of him, Christian Gonzale. So you got two guys on the outside that can shut people down. And Harold Landry, who Vrabel had history with in Tennessee.
Speaker 3: Is still a really, really good football player. Right.
Speaker 9: So I look at some of those moves and even the Morgan Moses move offensive tackle as going wow, like you're saying in the trenches, quality signings there. The Patriots certainly improved their team in a big way yesterday. Them and the Bears, I thought, really were the ones that jumped out to me more than others.
Speaker 2: Dan, if you're Aaron Rodgers and you have your choice of the giants of the Steelers, yeah.
Speaker 3: It's it's Steelers. It is.
Speaker 9: It's the Steelers are at least or Mike Tomlins on more solid ground, I believe than you know, Brian dabul or Joe Shane. Right.
Speaker 3: So there's that aspect.
Speaker 9: You certainly can look at the Steelers and go, wait, this is a team that's been in the playoffs.
Speaker 3: They get to the playoffs.
Speaker 9: Yeah, they're one and done, right, but uh, they're doing some things a little differently there. They're making some drastic moves. What they traded for DK Metcalf and paid them all this money. They usually don't do that type of stuff. We know that their defense, they got some disruptors and some playmakers there.
Speaker 3: I think that one there.
Speaker 9: You know, if it's apples to apples, there's no doubt the Pittsburgh Steelers would be the team for Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 4: That means Russell Wilson to the Giants.
Speaker 9: I don't know what it means for the Giants. That doesn't excite me very much. See the other thing that I think we're seeing going on right here, you know, good players and free agency, all the movement.
Speaker 3: The free agent players.
Speaker 9: There wasn't a big time market this year, right or at least high end players, so we saw a lot of guys get re signed at the last second trades like DK Metcalf and some other ones out there. And then the other thing that's jumped out to me this weekend is I think the NFL is telling you they don't like the draft, the quarterback draft, right anybody not named cam Ward. I think everybody's a little bit like eh. I like him, but I don't know if I love him right. That's the feeling I'm getting, at least by the signals out there.
Speaker 3: So yeah, the Giants, the options are limited.
Speaker 9: I don't know what they do there, but it seems like we're getting to the spot here where there'll be more and more pressure on them to take a quarterback At number three.
Speaker 2: You just think cam Ward is the only guy who grades out to maybe be a starter right away.
Speaker 9: Cam Ward is I haven't come out with my rankings yet, but I've said this on my He's definitely the number one quarterback's that's not debatable right. This will be a year where I have a hard time thinking all thirty two teams will be in consensus that that is the number one guy. Cam Ward is worthy of being the number one pick. Cam Ward, to me, would be in the conversation with Caleb Williams and Jayden Daniels as the top quarterbacks in last year's draft. I think he's worthy of that. I had bo Nick's number three. I think if I was gonna be fair, I'd probably would have cam Ward in front of him. If it was back into those times, even though I love bo Nicks, don't get me wrong.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I look at it that way.
Speaker 9: And then where I look at like Shador Sanders and Jackson Dart, I feel like they would have been towards.
Speaker 3: The bottom of last year's list.
Speaker 9: But still I look at Shador Standers and still goes starting caliber stuff, first rounder. I don't love all the crap he's getting, you know, in Place is certainly not And there's a lot to like about his film.
Speaker 2: The Jets getting justin Fields. Yeah, hold your excitement.
Speaker 4: Well, I like them.
Speaker 2: I like the move right because he at least is going to go out. You know, if he stays healthy, he at least can make some plays. It's yeah, he can be interesting there. I think your expectation level is greatly reduced because it's justin Fields, and that's right, and maybe you can get eight or nine win like maybe best case scenario, maybe Rogers.
Speaker 4: I you know, we thought they could go to the super Bowl.
Speaker 9: I hear you, and I think you know one on top of that, you give you get justin Fields, that type of contract what he got that doesn't take you out of the market for if if Shador Sanders is there for you to pick right and you want to take it. You're now we're not going to be like Kirk Cousins Michael Pennox and be like what why did they pay him one hundred and fifty million dollars And now they're drafting the number seven quarterback that makes no sense. So it does give them some wiggle room there. And then I think, on top of what you're saying, there is potential. It's gotten better throwing the football. There still needs to be more there. I mean, it's not you know what you want as far as throwing the football out of your starter in the NFL, but it's good. And then you got to get into playmaking. And then I also think with like what you're saying, Aaron Glenn, He's going, wait, I want a team here. I'm about a team. I just came from Detroit. I want to run, I want to play physical football. I got an awesome defense here that I'm gonna coach up. And you make them even more awesome, right, and he's gonna play team style of football. And then, yes, this gives them wiggle room, buys them time to figure out what they want to do for the quarterback of the future or Justin Fields ups his game and shows us he's the quarterback of the future. So from all that, it makes sense because I don't think they want to be held hostage by Aaron Rodgers and what he might have wanted to run the offense and how he wanted things to look.
Speaker 3: And I get it what the Jets are doing.
Speaker 2: Chris Sims Pro Football Talk Live co host also unbuttoned the Chris Sims podcast and a contributor to Football Night in America.
Speaker 4: Would you rather have Sam Darnold or Geno Smith?
Speaker 9: I would take Gino, all right, I would take Gino. Yeah, I'm a Gino fan. I like Sam Donald now, and I mean it's close, right, it's close, But I would take Gino. But also within that, okay, if you told me, wait, you can get Sam Donald for a little less money and you can get a third round pick, I might go, well, I don't know, maybe I will tip the scales swords Sam Donald then a little bit. And I think that's what Seattle looked at it, like, let alone, I think Seattle's a little like, Hey, we know Gino was in the quarterback of the future. We know that, and we're not necessarily Sam Donald is either, but we like him. And I think the biggest thing here too, dan is Clint Kobiak. He had a full year right with Sam Donald when he was in New Orleans, I mean San Francisco, So he knows what he's all about. He's been there, he's coached him. Sam Donald's gonna be able to know his offense quite you know, quite quickly there, so that makes sense. And Mike McDonald, I think what he's doing is he's kind of going, wait, the Pete Carroll.
Speaker 3: Era is over. I'm getting my own players, my own culture here.
Speaker 9: And I'm not you know, we're gonna get an offensive line, We're gonna be about defense. We're gonna be about like what I was at in Baltimore or Michigan before that, where we're gonna play team football and it's not gonna just be about the quarterback. And I think they're, you know, in the midst of reorganizing their their organization here.
Speaker 4: It's kind of interesting.
Speaker 2: Slash may be sad to look at what happened to the Niners, like what could have been. We know, we talk about windows of opportunity. You're good friends with the head coach of the Niners that they're saying goodbye to good players. Still have some headliners there, but what's the future, the immediate future of the Niners.
Speaker 3: I'm glad to see they're doing it right.
Speaker 9: You got you gotta take a step back or rip the band aid off every now and then and start new, or take a step back to get two or three steps forward.
Speaker 3: And I think that's where they are.
Speaker 9: They couldn't go on with the current rate of what they were doing right, I've made I've had a lot of fun with this on my pod and with Florio on PFT. I mean, just think about it. I mean, their roster, the amount of money they have spent, the people they have on there, the high end guys, how can you how can that be sustainable? They have a top five paid receiver in football, and they had Deebo Samuel, which was you know up there. They have a top three paid tight end in football. They have the number two paid running back in football. They have the top paid left tackle in football. They have to pay Rock Party. They have uh Fred Warner who's a top three linebacker, Nick Bosa, top three defensive player in general, Lemonnor their they're nickelback, top paid nickelback in football.
Speaker 3: So you just eventually the rooster comes home to roost.
Speaker 9: Or something like that along those lines, you know what I'm trying to say. And the pied piper is here, so they got to just clean the check book here and start new.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 9: And yeah, that team we saw to go to four NFC championships.
Speaker 3: And two Super Bowls, it's over. They're they're starting a new era.
Speaker 2: There around of applause for Chris Sims the record.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what they call those simpsonsms.
Speaker 9: I know you don't watch my Sims show all that much, but I I seem to combine and confuse a lot of sayings, right, like if you read between the tea leaves, that's a pretty good one on my podcast or my show a lot of the time.
Speaker 3: Right, I'm famous for that.
Speaker 2: Davante Adams to the Rams. But let me talk about Cooper Cup's market, because they're it looks like they're going to release him.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 4: Is he a third receiver for somebody? Now?
Speaker 9: I think that's what it is, right. I don't like saying that. I like Cooper Cup. He's still got gas in the tank. But I mean he's the number two receiver with the Rams and they don't want them, and they don't have many receivers, so I think doesn't that tell you something?
Speaker 4: Well, they don't want to inmit that price.
Speaker 9: Well, they exactly right, but yet they brought somebody else in for the same price to take his spot, right or a little bit more?
Speaker 2: Well, who would you rather have DeVante Adams or Cooper? Yeah, Devonte Adams, I would Cooper Cup.
Speaker 9: I think a little bit between the injuries, right, getting up there in age not separating quite the same way. I think the perfect world for him is to be yeah, you know a two really slash three where he could go and be the slot guy. Right, he doesn't have to get outside and beat the top corners in football and Manda man Reid coverages, run great routes tough over the middle. That's where it makes sense for Cooper Cup. But no, certainly I would take Devonte Adams over him right.
Speaker 2: Now, and Cooper Cup will end up with eighty catches with the Chiefs necks.
Speaker 3: Well, it could be exactly right, exactly right.
Speaker 9: He'll find a spot where a team values that slot receiver who is smart and runs option routes the right way, and I wouldn't be shocked to see him have a little second wind of his career, like we saw Adam Feln when he went from Minnesota to Carolina, who still looks pretty damn good.
Speaker 2: Tom Brady, you think pulled the trigger on the Gino Smith deal.
Speaker 9: I think he gives him the final vote of confidence one Hey, Pete Carroll right, he's got history with Gino Smith, so he likes that.
Speaker 3: But I think I think where I.
Speaker 9: And again this I kind of tweeted this out on Friday night or whatever night it went down, that I think this was a look of Tom Brady going, I don't know if we want other quarterbacks not named cam Ward at number six. Let's just go with a guy that we know can play, is a little bit better than people realize, and you trust them, Pete, and he can start and jumpstart your culture in the locker room and convey your messages to those guys that way.
Speaker 3: I certainly think Tom Brady had a saying that, no question.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And if I look at this.
Speaker 2: From ten thousand feet, it feels like Brady says, I need somebody that I can at least show up every Sunday and trust that he'll go out right and he'll play quality football. He also has Rock Bowers. If they go after Ashton gent and you got Max Crosby, okay, now you have some entertainment here. Now you at least can be competitive in your own division with those other quarterbacks. And if you got Schudor Sanders, I don't think he was going to start right away. You're not gonna get cam Ward. So you get somebody they don't. I thought maybe they get Sam Darnold. But you know that'll tell you what. Yeah, yeah, Tom thought of this situation that give me the guy that I know is proven a little bit more over time than what we've seen with Sam.
Speaker 3: That's right. Let alone. The head coach knows him, right, Yeah, so that's good. That's a good thing.
Speaker 9: The head coach, I doubt wants a rookie quarterback, right Pete Carroll knows he's not there for seven years. He's probably going, damn, I might got two three fourth the most. So I need somebody that can hit the ground running doing all that. And then I think, yes, Brady's seeing it like you're saying, or like.
Speaker 3: I'm saying, he's going DWN this guy. Hey, he'll push the ball down the field. Damn. He moves better than people realize.
Speaker 9: Yeah, he's got a little experience, he sees the field and damn his arm's powerful. He can he can be sexy and exciting that way. And why we do that and all the things you mentioned. Ad buys Brady time and the team time to figure out what they want to do big picture, long term for the quarterback, because eventually Bray he's gonna figure it out. As long as they're in a position to where they can get a quarterback that makes sense. I mean, come on, Brady, Brady knows how to evaluate the position. He knows the throwers when he sees them, he knows good decision makers, and I have no question he'll get that right eventually.
Speaker 4: Have you hung out with Brady socially?
Speaker 3: Not really hung out?
Speaker 4: No, No, not really England.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I was around a lot and around him, and you know, I had to hand them stuff all the time, and you know, I was always handing them papers and at the time, I was always like, hey, Tom, we got to get like we're wasting like half of the Brazilian and Giselle's home country rainforest with all this stuff we're printing out every day. Let's save the world. And go to like the tablets. So the iPad of it. What was your next year it happened? What was your job in New England? Do whatever they say? Boy, that's what I love. I mean, that's yeah. I was quality control. I had some things involved in scouting, uh and whatever they yelled at me to do next, that's that was my job.
Speaker 4: But how did it feel though?
Speaker 2: When Tom says, hey, oh, did you hear Tom's getting all the guys together and go out and have beers And then you weren't that far then.
Speaker 3: I wasn't invited right.
Speaker 9: Well, one, he was like, what, he's not allowed out of his shackles, so they're not letting him out of his dungeon up there. But but no, of course that was a tough transition period in general. I'm sitting there just getting done playing football, going, damn, I'm better than some of these guys in the league. I can't believe this, right, And yeah, I'd seen him and some of the other guys on the team, like, yeah, I wish I could hang out with him. I wish I could go hang with Brady right now. I really love Tom Brady as a guy. I know I've been on him about to flight gate. There's no doubt about that, and I won't back down from that. But everything else about Tom Brady I thoroughly admire. I admired my time with him, his work ethic.
Speaker 2: And hey, what course is you about deflate that he did it and didn't admit Yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 9: But you know what, it's a stupid rule. Well, it's not a stupid rule. I'll disagree with you. Then then then let the kids. Then let my homes throw a college football and see what you think about from his speed.
Speaker 2: You get to you get the ball that you want, and then I get the ball that I want.
Speaker 4: I know, but if you.
Speaker 9: Because if you let me take air out of the football, my arm will go up exponentially and I'll be able to control it and doing things that I wouldn't be able to do if the ball was inflated properly.
Speaker 3: Here's the big deal.
Speaker 2: We're giving you an advantage. I get an advantage. I get the ball that I want. We do this with kickers. Why not with quarterbacks? It's silly.
Speaker 9: Well, at some point there has to be a baseline for everybody has to do the same thing. So in basketball, do we want to some of the guys aren't shooting as good, should we tell them to lower the basket? Or some of the guys don't run as fast, should we tell some of the faster guys to slow down. In the NFL, each offense gets their own football.
Speaker 4: We're not talking about lowering a rim.
Speaker 3: That's that's not no.
Speaker 9: I want something that's a It's a sport of rules and what we do when we play with the ball that's the same size.
Speaker 3: What sport does that go to? Sound like baseballs? Hey, use a metal baseball bat this time?
Speaker 9: Up? Who cares? I mean, won't let you use metal bats today? To let us use match?
Speaker 2: Only two people who are affected by this the quarterbacks. That's all a couple of psiyes.
Speaker 3: No, the quarterbacks, it does, and yes it would affect. It's gonna help. It's gonna help people who catch the ball.
Speaker 9: It's gonna help the running backs and everybody else that has to grab the ball and not fumble the ball as much because it's not properly inflated, so now you can squeeze it to death.
Speaker 4: Yes, you you're like your old man.
Speaker 9: I'm just the realist dude you've ever met. I'm just sorry that's just the way it is.
Speaker 4: Good to talk.
Speaker 3: But no other than that, Brady's awesome.
Speaker 9: And and what Brady did show us is that two weeks later in Super Bowl forty nine, he could throw lasers all over the field. And that's why I was mad at that, because I was like, you don't need that, You're the man, that's all.
Speaker 3: That was my point.
Speaker 4: You know, Aaron rod overinflated footballs.
Speaker 9: Hey, listen, if you want to make it harder on yourself, go ahead. I mean no, he told me that he over and nobody got upset about that because that everybody would go, that's a disadvantage. Nobody in football would go put a bigger object in. It had to be to make it.
Speaker 4: It had to be an advantage for him to overinflate it.
Speaker 9: I mean, he must have just liked how it felt in his hand, right, that that would be the big thing. But I don't think you're gonna find a common consensus of quarterbacks through the history of time. They're gonna go make the ball bigger and heavier, and I'll throw it bedroom. Aaron Rodgers is a freak of nature, right, He's got gigantic hans and he's arguably the greatest arm ever. And why do you gotta do this to me? Why did you ever bring me down this rant lane with Brady and all this? Now I gonna hear this crap again. Brady's the man.
Speaker 3: Get off his back, Get off my back, Get off my lawn.
Speaker 2: That's what you should be saying. Thank you, Chris. All right, guys say it. Chris Sims Pro Football Talk Live, co host Football Night in America.
Speaker 4: Look, Tom Liede, that's all. That's a silly rule. Take a break. Play the day next.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio wapp Oh.
Speaker 9: My god, the play of.
Speaker 8: The Day's I got it play.
Speaker 10: This is the play of the day.
Speaker 1: Check this out, White pack to Houser.
Speaker 11: Yes, sir, give it to him again. Oh ye, sir, Houser passes up to three.
Speaker 9: Now he'll take its story.
Speaker 1: Houser seven threes, the.
Speaker 2: Sam Houser seventh three pointer. Tonight he finished with nine three pointers. So that's four Celtics who have made nine or more three pointers in a game. First time in NBA history that you've had that. That's courtesy of NBC Sports Network, Boston.
Speaker 4: That's your play of the day.
Speaker 2: Play of the Day brought to you by Rapid Radios, official walkie talkie of the Dan Patrick Show, offering national LTE coverage, no subscriptions ever, A great alternative for your kids, your parents. Rapid Radios dot com get sixty percent off and free shipping. A couple of phone calls. Here Newton in Richmond, Hi Newton, what's on your mind?
Speaker 12: Oh?
Speaker 13: Dan, thanks for letting me on this morning. So I rarely ever listen to Chris Simms with positive ears because when I hear him and I see him with I hear him with Mike Florio, they remind me of that a little Bugs Bunny skit.
Speaker 12: Where the little mouse is the boss and the big bruiser cat. Yeah. Bys yeah, whatever you say, Byes, Yeah, you're the buds. But I have to agree with him on the standardization of the ball inflation, and it just tore me up that I had to agree.
Speaker 10: With him against you this morning.
Speaker 12: But I think he's that.
Speaker 4: Why do you think he's right?
Speaker 10: Well, because the and you've thrown the ball, you've played with a basketball, you know what I'm talking about when I say that that taughtness, that hardness of the ball and the size of it. You know, we're always talking and making fun of small hand sizes and stuff like that. That in and of itself creates a bit of a complication or a competitive thing that some people just can't get over. And I believe that because it's always been that way and we've taught kids and all this stuff. I know that those sound like weak arguments, but by the same token, I think that having it standardized like that means that everybody's playing with the same ball, by the same rules and have the same issues, unless you just got big hands, in which case you win the genetic lottery.
Speaker 4: Thank you, dud.
Speaker 2: Anybody know Jill Montana's hands, Steve Young's hand size, Dan Marino's.
Speaker 4: It's silly.
Speaker 2: Each guy gets his choice of how he wants the football, and so that's for him, his wide receivers and his running backs. You factor in all of that. It's not like you're dribbling down half court. You get to half court and then you get to pick up another basketball that suits your team. You get the football how you like it. We let kickers do that. They get their own ball.
Speaker 4: It's silly. What happened was Tom Brady lied to the commissioner. That's it. It's a dumb rule.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: Should he have been punished for lying, Yes, and he did. He really got punished and embarrassed. But it's a silly rule. The fact that Aaron Rodgers said that on this show he wanted he inflated the ball, inflated the ball more. He wanted it hard as a rock. So somebody inflated the footballs for him. He never got in trouble. But Tom deflated the football. Had somebody do that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, pony.
Speaker 6: The goal of the rule, according to the NFL, is to prevent teams from using footballs outside the allowable inflation range in order to fit a quarterback's preference or align better with weather conditions.
Speaker 4: Why both quarterbacks get the same advantage.
Speaker 6: It's not like the home field prepares the footballs for the entire game for both teams. Does not happen that way.
Speaker 4: Make it's silly.
Speaker 2: I mean random that we're revisiting something that's quite a few years old. But the fact that Chris Simms, who played the position, you would think you'd go, it's silly. I should be able to have the football, You have the football. The rule is still in place. More phone calls coming out. Auburn head coach Bruce Pearl will stop by as well