Speaker 1: The East Course at Marion Golf Club is kind of a contradiction. This Hugh Wilson William Flynn design is one of the oldest great American golf courses, so it's not surprising that by modern standards it's pretty small, yet it's still capable of testing the best golfers in the world. And today we're going to find out why. I'm Garrett Morrison and this is designing golf. All right, Before I bring on my guest today, Wayne Morrison, let's do some Marion. One oh one. What are the big things that you need to know about the East Course at Marion Golf Club. First little bit of history. Marian started way back in eighteen sixty five as predominantly a cricket club, but in the eighteen nineties golf became suddenly popular in the US and members at Marion started playing golf on a kind of rudimentary course. These were the origins of Marion Golf Club, but the cricket and golf clubs actually didn't officially separate until the early nineteen forties. So the East Course at Marion opened in nineteen twelve. It was in Ardmore, Pennsylvania, basically a wealthy suburb of Philadelphia. The architect of record was a member named Hugh Wilson, who was the head of the club's green committee. Wilson also designed the West Course at Marion, about a mile down the road, but the East Course as it stands today is I think best understood as a collaborative design effort. Hugh Wilson was the driving force and the initial architect, but he had critical assistance from the club's greenkeeper, William Flynn. Flynn's name you might recognize. He went on to become one of America's greatest golf architects, designing Shinnakawk Hills as well as bunch of other excellent courses, but he got his start at Marion, and I think he learned his craft under the influence of Hugh Wilson and in the context of Marion. So between nineteen twelve and the nineteen thirties, William Flynn and Hugh Wilson made a number of important updates to the East Course, molding it into essentially the course that we know today, which is one of our top championship venues. It's hosted five US opens and is on the schedule for twenty thirty twenty forty and twenty fifty. It's also hosted six US Amateurs, with the seventh coming up next week. All right, that brings us to the East Course itself. Let's talk about land design and routing. The first thing to know is that the property is very small. It's only about one hundred and fifteen acres that's taken up by the golf course. By comparison to Oakmont Country Club is around two hundred acres. Pinehurst Number two in Shinnakawk Hills around the same Marion is much smaller. But the routing of the East Course is so good that you really don't notice that the property is limited. For example, if you look at holes two through nine, they all sit in a valley that's about three hundred yards wide and nine hundred and fifty yards long, so pretty narrow, and there are eight holes packed into this one rectangle. The danger here would be ending up with a bunch of parallel holes kind of running up and down the valley. That's when golfers would notice, you know this, this property is pretty small. We're kind of hemmed in here going back and forth. But the East Course avoids this in a really clever way. Basically, holes two through nine form two big overlap loops, so you're always changing direction and swirling around the property instead of just bouncing back and forth. Another brilliant aspect of Marian's routing is its pacing. Famously, the writer Jerry Tardy compared the East Course to a three act play, quote the drama of the first six demanding holes, the comedy of the next seven, and the tragedy of the last five. That makes a lot of sense. With the exception of the first hole. That opening stretch is pretty long and tough. Pulls two and four are the only par fives on the course. That's your drama. Then you get to the comedy of seven through thirteen, lots of short par fours along with the tiny par three thirteenth. Then you arrive at the final act fourteen through eighteen, just one tough, treacherous hole after another, with the last three playing through Marion's iconic quarry. That's your tragedy. So every round at the East Course has this structure. There's a sense of rising and falling action across the eighteen holes, and I think that's a big part of what generates this feeling of grandeur insignificance at Marion, even though again the property is pretty small. All right. The last topic I want to cover in this Marion one oh one rundown is why the East Course is still a relevant championship venue. At the US Amitter next week, the longest that the course is going to play will be around six nine and thirty yards, not even seven thousand. So how does that even work for a modern championship golf course. Well, for one, the East Course repeatedly takes driver out of the hands of longer players. There are only a few spots where you can go bombs way, mostly in the first six holes. Otherwise it's a lot of long irons and hybrids to certain landing zones. So Marian definitely plays longer than the scorecard indicates, and it's pretty hard to overwhelm. Two. The hazards are real hazards. The bunkers are shockingly deep and out of bounds, comes into play on several holes. This is another factor that prevents power hitters from just overwhelming the course with raw strength. Three, the greens are tough targets. They're mostly pretty small, many of them severely tilted, and the hardest pin positions are very very difficult to access. For the fourth and final reason why Marion still works as a championship course, we have to talk about narrow fair ways and thick rough. Even after Gil Hans's renovation works several years ago, the ways at Marion East remained quite narrow, much narrower than they were in Hugh Wilson and William Flynn's time, and the rough is lush, overseeded and dense now. On the one hand, I understand why the club does this. It keeps scoring in check and it's a deterrent to just hitting driver everywhere. On the other hand, it does reduce the complexity of the golf course. It shuts down what should be what used to be valid strategic angles, and it forces play down the middle. Plus I think it hurts the course esthetically. The moulling lines just don't really match the landforms anymore. But you know, when the governing bodies don't regulate equipment effectively, this is what you get. It's sad but inevitable. All that said, the East Course at Marion is a unique and brilliant golf course, a precision golf course, a great test of playing ability, and it offers a lot of lessons for anyone interested in golf architecture. Okay, so those are the basics. Let's go a little bit deeper. And for that there's really no one else to bring on than Wayne Morrison. Wayne is the author of the definitive William Flynn biography, The Nature Faker, and he also happens to be a member of Marian Golf Club, so his knowledge of the East Course is really second to none. All right, let's bring him on. All right, Wayne Morrison is here. Wayne, welcome to the podcast.
Speaker 2: Thanks for coming on, Welcome back to the podcast. You're welcome. Good to be with you.
Speaker 1: Indeed, welcome back to the podcast. Well, you have been on the Friday Golf Podcast a couple of times, including one time with me, and you've also been on various videos of ours. So you've been very generous with your time and your expertise.
Speaker 2: I'll let people know right the bat that that you are you know pretty much undoubtedly the world's leading William Flynn expert. Your book, The Nature Faker is a great resource for anybody looking into William Flynn designed courses and courses that have elements of William Flynn design, which is the category that the East Course at Marion Golf Club falls into. So, Wayne, you're going to help me dig a little deeper into the architecture and history of the East Course. First, we'll talk about the elements of the course itself, so land routing, hazards, grains, design philosophy, and the you know, some of the renovations that have been done in the past and recently. Then in the latter part of our conversation, well, we'll dig a bit more into the history, but I do want to start with discussing the golf course from an architectural perspective, from a design perspective, essentially as it stands today, starting with its land with its So, Wayne, could you just describe in a basic way the property that the East Course at Marion currently occupies. Yeah, so the club itself sits on about one hundred and twenty acres, but that includes the clubhouse, the parking lot, and a driving range which we purchased from the land we purchased from harf for College in the sixties, So that's about fifteen or so acres. So the whole thing being on one hundred and twenty five acres, only about one hundred and one hundred and ten acres or the golf course, which is very small footprint for what's considered a championship golf course and remains a championship golf course. It's L shaped, which is kind of it sort of dictates, you know, what the routing can possibly be. You can't have you can't have too many holes going in the axis of the you know, the shorter lengths of the L. So it just happens to fit. I mean, it just happens to work, and a little bit lucky in that regard, but there's nothing wrong with luck when it comes to golf design. I'm sure there are other examples where the boundaries of the site were fixed and the golf just happened to fit very well in there. So so that land is ideal for golf. There's about one hundred and fifteen feet of elevation change overall from the low point on the golf course is the eleventh green, and not surprising that a lot of balls sort of, you know, throughout the golf course tend to have, you know, a more of a direct you know, more of a break, and more of a speed as they go to the eleventh green. And the high point is the fifteenth Green. So in between there there's some parallel holes, but you don't get any sense of parallelism. There are other courses that we're all familiar with where you definitely know there's there're parallel holes and you're playing up in back and it gets a little bit routine, but not at Marion because they're on different elevations, go in different directions. And one of the fascinating things, I mean, and superintendents have confirmed this with me. For whatever reason, the wind is always changing at Marion. You could plays, as you well know, the only two par fives on the golf course, or the second and the fourth holes, they go in opposite directions. But it's uncanny how you could have the same wind. I don't I don't get it.
Speaker 3: It's just some some sort of uh, you know, nuance and and kind of you know, unusual circumstance that the wind shifts so much at Marion.
Speaker 2: It kind of seems like shirl, doesn't it, Like it's a you know, yeah, the the biggest part of the property, the part of the property that the front nine occupies, is effectively a valley, right, and so you know, the wind kind of gets down in there and it might be bouncing off some things, and it's yeah, it really does. I mean the creek along the left side of the fifth holes where you know is the low point there, that's the valley you're talking about. So what that valley does is it creates some different levels and different you know, so you don't get a scent, you don't get a monotony or a sense of you know, I've played this hole before. Things are very different there.
Speaker 1: The topography itself, you know, there are valleys, there is a general slope right, the high point, as you mentioned, is the fifteenth grain. The low point is the eleventh grain, so that there is a general push towards certain parts of the property. But it's not as though the course sits on a hillside, right, It is rolling, which I think is is really what suits it to a golf course, right that the that the topography isn't doing just one thing, It's doing a lot of different things over over the course of of the of the site.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's kind of interesting when you think about, you know, Marian was in a lot of ways. The the the influence on the Shinnacock Shinnecock relies on triangulation of wind. Marian doesn't have to rely on that because, as you said, the way the wind plays in that valley, you know, creates a lot of different kinds of influences on on this, on the on the golfer and how they play and how they play that it's and they're not having you know, not having flags, having baskets. You got to really be careful in how you assess what the wind is, both the intensity and the and the direction.
Speaker 1: Great. All right, So now that we have kind of an idea of of the basic you know, terrain topography, let's talk about the routing. You mentioned already that there's there's uh, you know, you don't feel as though you're playing parallel holes, even though if you look at the course from above there there clearly are parallel holes. How does the routing at the at the East course basically work. What's kind of the tactic of the routing to get the golfer through these different sections of the property.
Speaker 2: That's a great question. And really that routing creates a rhythm and flow to the golf course which I think is unmatched in any other golf course. You've heard the story about the three act play at Marion where The first hole is sort of a well, it's a not so gentle handshake because there's thirteen bunkers, right, But you know, it's a short haul that requires a lot of precision. The next five holes are long and challenging based on length and also topographic changes. And obviously, I mean the real challenge is at the greens.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: That's why a golf course that's only sixty eight hundred yards or I guess you can push it out to sixty nine ninety six if you have one foot in the rough on the back of every tee is still a challenge to the best players in the world, and yet still enjoyably difficult for you know, a range of golfers. I wouldn't want to if I was a beginning golfer, I'm not so sure i'd want to, you know, start playing the East course. But we have the West Course, which is nice in any case. So I was talking about the rhythm and flow. It happens to work, but it's it breaks a lot of principles. The only two par fives are the second and fourth holes, and and they're long and demanding par fives. But in some regard that's one of you know, you think about Flynn and hit the influences on Flynn's design practices. A lot of the best courses are only two par fives par seventies. They those courses hold up to championship play a lot better than four par fives, because especially in these days, you know, if you if you have four par fives, the tour pros are going to be starting off ten under par for the you know, for the four rounds. Anyway, that's not the case when you only have two par fives. And it's kind of interesting that the two par fives on the are the are in the first four holes. But it's not like all of a sudden like where as a par fives on the rest of the round. The rhythm and flow keeps you really centered and focused. So there are three three acts to Marian Again, I talked about the first hole being short, but it's kind of nerve wracking anyway, because you're hitting in front of all these people sitting in the upper terrace having lunch ten feet away from it. Yeah, it's kind of a prologue, is how I like to put it. Yeah, the first hole is a prologue, and it feels that way, not only because it's short, but because it's on the clubhouse side of the property. After the first green, you cross Ardmore Avenue and you get to the second hole, and that that that's when the first act in this three act structure really begins, and that first act is.
Speaker 1: Tough and dramatic. Jerry Party, who came up with this three act concept, said that this was the drama portion of the play.
Speaker 2: Brilliant ret Marion, so it really brought.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's that's a really it's a really good It's it's been used a lot to describe Marian so obviously it's been sticky. So you get through that first act, which is which is the drama section, then you get to the seventh te and where does it go from there? How does how did the acts play out from there? So from between seven and thirteen from the member tees the white teas that you know, there's no hole over four hundred yards. But to me, I think it starts building towards the finishing the back five, because the back five to me, I don't I can't think of another one, maybe Carnousti, but I think it falls short of the hardest finishing golf. So the middle section seven through thirteen. That's called comedy because it whereas the original, you know, the first six holes requires a lot of length demands and controlling your shot shape and.
Speaker 2: How you approach the greens. The middle holes are all relatively short, but precision is elevated. You have to be really precise. It's you're not gonna there's no way to score from the rough, so you really have to play for the fair way, and that kind of changes people's minds. It was amazing how few drivers people and you know use in the in the in you know, the US Open or high level amateur play. So that makes the courus at sixties eight hundred yards or whatever they're going to play at play a lot longer because you're not bombing three hundred yard drives on on the bar fours and the bar fives. There's nothing it's you know, easy, there's nothing that's simplistic about the design. It was sort of if you think it's relentless, isn't it. It's every shot is is tough, not in the sense that every shot is necessarily but there's complexity and discomfort to pretty much every shot you hit on this course.
Speaker 1: And I think to bring it back to routing. A lot of that is down to the routing of the golf course because you're never playing the same type of hole twice. The amount of variety that the routing finds in this very small property is really impressive. I mean, this was I think the only way for Hugh Wilson and William Flynn to solve the puzzle of how to route eighteen holes on this property in this particular way. Each hole is different, each hole gives you some new kind of issue to confront, and it all fits in really tightly. And that's kind of the magic of the routing of the East course at at Marion. I think that's probably why people say that it's one of the best routings, if not the best routing in the world of golf. Don't you think? Is that?
Speaker 2: Is that kind of like, I mean, why why is it that you what's your general take on, you know, where this routing kind of ranks among the routings of.
Speaker 1: Golf courses that you've seen all of them?
Speaker 2: Well, I'll expand on that a little bit. I think William Flynn was the best router of golf courses in America. He would take up he was a first of all a really quick study. Now he didn't he didn't route the golf course, but he learned about routing. Mary. This was sort of his his uh school guess yeah right, and you and Hugh Wilson was his professor. Souh. If you look at so the routing. One of the aspects of the routing that's very hard to discern unless you've played it a thousand plus times like I have, is the elevation changes. They're not that evident. If you're standing on the third T and you look at the third green and then you look out, you have to cross over this from the second green to the third T, you have to cross over the sixth hole. But if you're standing on the third T, it looks like the third green is twenty feet higher in elevation than the sixth screen, which is way out there. In actuality, the sixth green is ten feet higher in elevation than the third green. To me, that's a classic example of what Flynn learned it, Marian, and what he practiced later on is your eye has a lot of difficulty in judging elevation changes over long distance, and a lot of that has to do with what he learned there. It's just it's incredible how how many times really good golfers are short on their approaches to both five and six. Actually they're both elevated from the approach shots. The other thing at the other aspect that I think is really interesting about the routing is how again it hearkens back to what the rhythm and flow of the golf course is. You have drama, you have comedy, then you have tragedy. So what goes on in your head while you're playing the short holes the seven through thirteen is geez, I better get some good scores in because I know I'm going to have trouble at the end, and for whatever reason psychologically, that really affects you. So a hole that might be if it was somewhere else in the routing or the routing progression was a little bit different, it has a different effect on you because of where it is in the position. You know, the out of bounds is on the right hand side on the front nine. Out of bounds is on the left hand side on the back nine. So you really, you know, singles, if you can shape your shot, you're rewarded tremendously.
Speaker 1: So your discussion of out of bounds can bring us to Marion's hazards. So, first of all, out of bounds is a significant hazard at Maryon. It comes very much into play on several holes, and so you know, what do you think the impact of that is? How do the holes use those boundaries lines? Well, some of it are more strategic than others. I mean, the second hole, the long part uphill par five, you got to keep it left, you know, you got to keep it left of the of the street, and that's you know, Ardmore Avenue.
Speaker 2: But there's not that much difference between You're not rewarded so much for playing on the you know, close to the out of bounds there, but on the on the for instance, the next hole that goes in that direction would be the sixth hole, and there's out of bounds on the right. But the closer you play to the out of bounds on the sixth hole, you play over the sort of sight line bunker on the right short right. I mean, why is that bunker there? It doesn't really it shouldn't come into play. It won't come into play for the amateurs and touring pros that come here. But if you hit it over that bunker, you're rewarded with a turbot boost. It hits the backside of a slope and it shoots down there, and which is a really long, difficult approach, becomes a little bit easier if you play close to the out of bounds. That's also true on the seventh and eighth holes, which will go in the same direction. Really, the ideal line on the seventh hole is the right edge of the green. But it's kind of funny Ben Hogan played to the left side of that green. He hit three wood off the tee every time, and there's a little flat area he needs the size of a dining room table, maybe maybe smaller than that size of a kitchen table. And they supposedly Hogan's five divots were all within an eight foot circle there. He wanted to come from the left side. There's more visibility on the right, and you know, the green basically flows front to back, but Hogan had to play over the fronting the big gaping bunker that's on the front left of that green. I still to this day can't figure out why he decided to do that, but obviously it worked for him. Then on the eighth hole, you have a deep bunker right and a deep bunker left further down, so it's short right and farther left. You can't tell, I mean, first time playing it, but you really want to hit over that right bunker. There's fair way behind it, and it's by far the best angle into the green. But it brings that bunker into play, and it also brings the out of bounds into play. Out of bounds then also comes into play on the fifteenth hole. I guess it is four fourteen and fifty, yeah, fourteen. It's you know, the drive can be essentially a lot of longer players hit their ball well over the out of bounds and kind of bring it into the fairway, especially the left, the lefties for sure. Absolutely. Sergio Garcia in the twenty and thirteen Open was sixteen over on fourteen and fifteen and finished fifteen over And then you get to sixteen, seventeen, and eighteen. That all played through a quarry, and it's funny. One of the original guys was on the site committee to determine where to put the you know, where to locate the golf course. He argued that we can't use this site because you know how much money it'll cost to fill in the quarry. So yeah, it wasn't. It wasn't really, Uh, it wasn't you know, initially imagined that that would be such a great golf feature.
Speaker 1: It wasn't obvious that that this should just be incorporated into the golf course because obviously it was a you know, it's it's it's not. A quarry is not necessarily considered a wonderful natural feature because by definition it is it is not natural. But that actually, you know, the quarry is one of Marion's major hazards. You know, since we're talking about the hazard of out of boundary, the quarry is is a significant hazard. Now, the story that I heard while I was at Marion, and you can say whether this is true or not, is that a lot of the rock that was mined from that quarry was then used to build the houses Uh in the in the suburb around Marion Golf Club. Is there any truth to that story?
Speaker 2: Uh, It's an often quoted story, but it is just that it's a story that that quarry wash was abandoned, you know, when the before the golf course was built, before the homes were built, So that was a pre existing quarry mhm. But the interesting thing about that is, you know, the entrance from sixteenth you know, the approach from the fairway to the sixteenth green. They had a blast the rock that really went. They had to open up that green. So they blasted and and chiseled or did whatever they did to to uh, to remove the that that that that rock wall, so to speak, to create the opening, which is a little like what Flynn did at Shinnacock on the eleventh hall that he had. He had to remove a lot of that sloping you know, the left to right slope of that, you know, to open up the green right, Yeah, what.
Speaker 1: Completely blind if they had not chopped off some of that big ridge that kind of comes now diagonally across the green there. So yeah, certainly some earth moving had to be done in both cases. Now, as far as hazards that Marian are concerned, out of bounds in the quarry or certainly the most terrifying ones, I guess. But then you have the bunkers, so you know what was you know, how do you characterize Wilson's and Flynn's approach to bunkering Marion not only positioning the bunkers but shaping them as well. Oh, that's a terrific question, because there it is. It is so different than what was going on at the same time, you know, when the course was being built. It really was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you compare it to any contemporary course, just the approach to bunkering esthetically and strategically quite different. Yeah, And I think some of that has to do with Wilson going overseas and looking at the bunkering. There's the sort of and it's a true story that when Wilson went overseas to look at the bunkering after the golf course was seated, he was so enthralled with the ideas that he was coming up with that he canceled his trip back, you know, back home, and that was on the Titanic, so he gave up his tickets on the Titanic to see golf. But the difference between the bunkering of what was going on with McDonald and what was going on with some of the itinerants scott, Scottish and British architects was was was really revolutionary because on heavy clay soil they built some really natural looking bunkers. You know, they don't look like bathtubs, they don't they look like wind or water erosion created the bunkers. So they took it, and that was mostly Flynn because the original bunkering.
Speaker 1: Was not that.
Speaker 2: I did not have that sort of uh naturalized appearance, natural appearance exactly, flat bottoms, grass faces. That's that's what was going on back then. They were you know, they were to do that on heavy clay soil, though, required a lot of time and effort, and that that's one of the things that if you're if you're a member of a club and you're doing it for your club, you will spend the time you're there all you know, it's not like you're going from one site to another. They spent a lot of time on site when Flynn was you know, he moved here and stayed here, so there. The bunker approach they took had white face, the white faces of marine, you know, the the raised sand faces. But the other thing that they did, I think and remains to this day very demanding, is the contoured bottoms of the bunkers. You don't get a level lying on just about any any of the bunkers. You're always have a dance that's a little bit awkward. And they're deep too, so but the one thing in this, and gil Hans taught me this. The scale of the bunkering is ideal. You don't have a lot of trees, there's not, so there's a lot of open ground. And the bunkers are huge and if on long hauls, really big bunkers don't look that big until you get up near them. They sort of have you know, they fit the other sort of the design aesthetic that you think of. But there, I mean to me, the scale of things, the scale of the hazards, and there you are really brilliant, and they were ideally located. There's still except for the when we moved the second green to where Flynn proposed it, excuse me, and they move the bunkers down range a little bit. The bunkers that there are today are the same bunkering that was used, you know, back in the twenties, teens and twenties. I mean, I can't think of a better bunker golf course. But you know, I've got informed bias that probably shows all more than off more often than not.
Speaker 1: I think a lot of people would agree with you on that. Aside, There we go. Let's get to the greens. The greens that at Marion are are a big source of of it's difficulty, of course for sure, and also of its interest. So how would you go about describing the design approach the architectural aspect of Marion East's greens. They make it makes it very difficult to to read. We have some of the best caddies, you know, it's a real professional caddy program, and what you think the butt should do is often not the opposite of what it does. So I said, listen, you know, listen to your caddy there. You know there's gonna be times where it looks like it's going to break left and it breaks right. Even you know, there was so many examples of where Phil Mickelson.
Speaker 2: Didn't really well. I wonder if he's going to listen to this. I can almost guarantee you that he's not okay, that he just misread putts six foot putts. He misread. Some of that has to do with the way the greens sit in the overall topography, but some of it also has to do with grain, and there there is there is grain in the greens. The interesting thing is if you have an overall down slope to the to the hole itself, and you change the downs and you change it just a little bit. So if you if you raise, you know, if you change the greens, it's still a back to it's still a front to back slope, but it's slightly softer than the overall topography around it. Your eye here, we're going back to perspective again. Your eye looks like it's severely back to front. So you so the second hole, the fourth hole, the eighth hole that it's all like that, you mean, the seventh hole, the putts that look like they're really slow or you know, go racing past the hole, and holes that look like they're you know, screaming fast, you know, stop short of the whole. And that's because it's hard to read what the slopes of those greens are given the surrounds of those greens. Yeah, and if I design, I kind of think so because there's so many examples of it and there, and there are other examples of it on other golf courses that Flynn was associated with. Yeah, Sneacock Hills kind of has has some of this characteristic that you're talking about of the you know, long, more gradual, intersecting slopes. And I want to highlight how important that is. What you're saying about the style of Marian's greens, because you know, you have other examples of Golden Age green design that are not that right. There were designers who much preferred to have kind of sharp internal contours, shells and gullies and you know, contours that were easy to see because they were big and severe. A lot of McDonald and Rayner greens had these kinds of contours. A lot of mackenzie greens, although they took a more natural approach, generally, had had these characteristics as well. Then you get to somebody like Perry Maxwell and and he loved these these sort of rounded slopes in the middle of greens Maxwell rolls, as they're often called. But again, you know, it's it's interior contour. What Flynn did at Mayor well, what Wilson and Flynn did at Marian Sorry, and what Flynn then went on to do at Shannahawk Hills is is kind of build greens that that have more gradual slopes, even if they're very significant slopes there, they don't announce themselves and and so but then they kind of run into each other and go in different directions so that they're they're very hard to read. And if if you're in for a private club that you want a long learning curve? You mean, well, I mean I do anyway. Yet you know, if things are really overt and easily discerned, you just have to make sure you get the right speed because you know what the break is going to be. You know, it gets to be a little bit. The learning curve is not as steep, or sorry it's steep, it's not as long. I think there are the greens themselves, I think are there are really? Why at sixty eight hundred yards sixty nine hundred yards from the very tips? Why that golf course still challenges the pros today and the amateurs. But the thing that's different about the Greens than the last US Open or the last amateur we add is that there's a technology system under the greens. It's precision air, so it's the air conditioning, heating, vacuuming and blowing, so they could you know, our superintendent is as good as it gets. He can manipulate the greens to provide whatever he whatever he wants. And and these this era of where we have really strong brief showers, the golf course uh you know is uh can be managed and playable whereas you know, for the old push up greens that we had, there was, there was they each green responded a little bit differently, dried out a little bit differently. To me, that adds some challenge and and the adaptability of the golfer is is more into play. But I do think the greed that Marion, you know, Flynn's learning, you know what he did at Marion. I see there's three phases of design at Marion. There's Hugh Wilson, there's Hugh Wilson and Flynn, and then there's Flynn. But it's easy to see the influence that Marion has on all these other courses, Shinnacock being a great one right where the sixth thall at uh Marion is is similar in concept that the fourteenth at Shinnakok, for instance. But as you brought up earlier, you know, it's the interplays of slopes, it's the it's the angles. We didn't really talk about that. The angles you have to play are you know, they're really well defined to me. The first doll at Marion is a really great example where you really need to play on the outside of the dog leg because the green is on a diagonal, so it's an offset green. The fairway is pretty much straight away. But most architects want you to play, you know, reward you for cutting the dog leg. In this case, you really you have a lack of visibility of the green because of the top line of the of the crossbunker, and you're also coming into the green from a shallow angle. But if you play towards the hazards on the left, the bunkers, the really deep demanding bunkers on the left, if you can, if you can skirt those and stay really close to those, you have you have a better view of the green. And you also are playing into the long axis of the green. So we talked about you know how marian requires a lot of strategic thought and as well as execution. There's some counterintuitive designs that I think also for people off a little bit too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what you expect to be the ideal position just looking at it from the tee, even as somebody may be informed about how strategic angles usually work, often turns out not to be the case once you get up there and actually actually see the shots. So it is a it is certainly a tricky golf course. And you know the word that keeps coming to mind for me. I mentioned it earlier is relentless. It is. It's relentless, not only in terms of its difficulty, but in terms of the strategic problem solving that you're faced with on every single hole. And we sort of transitioned at this point to talking about the kind of general design philosophy at Marian. There is there is this balance at Marian, or maybe it's not a balance. I guess it's two goals pursued equally aggressively toward championship golf difficulty challenge for for high level players, but also strategic golf. That was the intent when when Philadelphia was playing New York and Boston in inner city matches, we were getting hammered, and because we didn't have great golf courses. Again we were a little bit much later than New York and much later than Boston and developing them. So really the primary motivation between but.
Speaker 2: With Marion and Van pine Valley a couple of years later, was we got to start building champion designing and building championship golf courses. To build championship golfers, there's difficulty, and there's enjoyable difficulty. I think Marian's enjoyably difficult. There are some courses which I won't name, there are just long, boring slogs, and it's easy to design a difficult golf course. It's not easy to design an enjoyably difficult golf course. Versus is that most classes of players can play. I'm not saying Marian is good for everybody. It's a very tough course for for youngsters and for women because the rough is always demanding and some of the some of the carries you have to make are really demanding. That's why they had the ladies aid on sixteen that a lot of women can't carry the the one hundred and thirty five yards uphill, usually into the wind, to uh to the green, So they play around and it's a part five for them. I have, I have. I just think that there was there was a design intent to make this a championship golf course, but somewhere underlying that, either by hap hazards or by design, they made it so it was. It was an interesting and different and challenging golf course. One thing that we didn't talk about it's in terms of hazards. Are the streams? Yeah, yeah, sure, the streams come into play, not on a lot of holes. There's you know, there's not a lot of water on the golf course, but where they come in, they're really they're really strategic. You know. Cobbs Creek, it's really interesting. Cobbs Creek is is the creek that runs through Marion, but it also runs through McCall field Club, and it also runs through Cobbs Creek. The golf courses, so those are courses that Flynn and Wilson had varying degrees of input on, but all of them, you know, all of them have Cobbs Creek going through them. So there's some halls where the where the streams are parallel to the hole, like the fifth hole, there are streams. There are holes like the fourth Hall that the stream fronts the greens, and then there's holes like the eleventh Hall where the stream semi circle you know, covers half the you know, covers half of the of the green, of the three hundred and sixties one hundred and eighty degrees around the green. The fifth hole, the fairway cants pretty hard right to left the green. The it's a really long, demanding hole. It's five oho nine from the back tee and the and the fairway tilts right to left the entire way, and the green tilts right to left as well, but it levels off a little bit right before the creek. So if you know, the best angle into that green is from the left, you know, play skirt close to the creek, you have a level line. The greens slopes towards, you know, is sloping right to left, so you're hitting into the to the slope. So I think the streams are used brilliantly. I didn't, you know, I kind of didn't occur to me right away, but Ramar set want the kind of conversation with him, and he thought Flynn was the best designer, the best utilizer of streams, especially on diagonals, and uh yeah, I think you know, he learned a lot of that at at at Marion.
Speaker 1: So one thing that people will notice in the upcoming US Amateur is the the course will look different than what they remember from the twenty thirteen US Open. So I just like to briefly touch on the recent round of renovation work that was done at Marion, I think primarily in twenty eighteen and twenty nineteen by Gill Hants. What were just you know, high level view what were the basic goals of that work. So I mean we could talk about subsurface and above ground work. The subsurface, we talked about the precision air and precision air, et cetera, managing the firmness and the speed of the greens because up until that point, Marion had its original push up greens effectively right, but.
Speaker 2: XGD drainage in some of the greens. We have it in some of the fairways too, But they were the original push up greens and they worked really well. But we lose you know, the conditions of the golf course in July and August. That's you know, Philadelphia in July and August is hot and humid. We we would have significant condition of UH concerns during that period of time. Now it's it's you know, in championship condition every day. It's not it's not cheap to do that, but but the but the will and the and the ability to do it is there.
Speaker 1: So that's the subsurface aspect of the renovation. What was the above ground above ground.
Speaker 2: Was there was very little, you know, change in the bunkering, but the but the surrounds of the bunkers, they got rid of a lot of the fescue that wasn't original. It was kind of I mean, it had a good look to it, and and uh, it's there's something to be said. And you know, when the sun's going down and the textures and colors are you know, varied around the golf course, and the way the wind would blow the tall rescue, it was just a real serene kind of look. Now today it's it's more it's more finished in a lot of ways. But the bunkering except on two is except for the string of pearls bunkering on the right and the really big bunker that when one you never want to get into. On the left side, beyond the trees, they're in the same spot. They might be a little bit deeper. They have better billy bunker now, so which comes into play because you know, again we have more short, shorter time periods of really heavy rains and we don't get the washouts that we used to have, so the but you know, the white faces are still there. Jim Wager did a wonderful job in edging the bunkers, you know, the creating the you know, the sort of interest in in the sort of ragged shapes to the edge of the bunkers. The fairway lines have not really have not really been changed at all. They put some new back teas in, so there's a new back te on four, so it went from six hundred yards to six hundred and forty yards. So that that so, and then they put the back t in on eighteen. It's five twenty one, but you know it plays shorter than five twenty one because where the Hogan plaque is right after that is a steep down slope and these guys were easily hitting you know, from I guess from four seventy or four to sixty or something like that. They were easily hitting the back of that slope and they'd have an eight iron in. So that to me, putting that back t in at five twenty one makes you know, the average play, the average tour pro or the average high you know, high caliber amateur hit from around where Bobby or sorry, Ben Hogan hit like it's I think it's two to eleven from the plaque to the middle of the green and just rose in twenty thirteen from around that plaque on Sunday. So again a lot of it was you know, you know, things that you don't see underground technology and a few added bunkers and a few added teas.
Speaker 1: This episode of Designing Golf is brought to you by our friends at the Golf Course Superintendent's Association of America or GCSAA. This partnership makes a lot of sense for Friday Golf. Really, our company wouldn't exist in its current form today if not for the help and kindness of superintendents. This community has been one of our most important bases of support from the beginning, and GCSAA supports them. They serve more than twenty one thousand members worldwide, not only golf course superintendents, but also equipment managers, students, and educators. Celebrating its one hundredth anniversary this year, GCSAA continues to ensure that its members are on the forefront of research, education, innovation, and advocacy through a range of programs and services. To learn more, go to GCSAA dot org. Check it out. Great organization and we're very proud to be partnered with them. Okay, so that covers the characteristics of the course that I wanted to cover. So we've kind of gone through greens and bunkers and design and some of the renovation work. I think now we can dive into the history, which is your specialty. Now there's a lot here, right. We could stay here for another four hours, probably talking about the history of Marian Golf Club, but I kind of want to give people a basic overview and then just talk about it's importance historically just as a as a new kind of golf design in America. So you know, what were the origins of golf at Marion and then take me up to the point that Hugh Wilson got involved.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I mean, like I said earlier, or golf in Philadelphia started a bit late. Philadelphia Country Club in eighteen ninety three had their first golf course in the city, and in eighteen ninety five Marion had a golf course on one of the members' properties, Clement Griscom and by eighteen ninety six there was an official nine hole golf course that was designed by Willie Campbell, not the Willy Campbell from Brookline, Willie W. Campbell from Saint Andrew's. Willy Campbell from Brookline was from Musselborough and this is a different Willie.
Speaker 1: One of the sea.
Speaker 2: Semingly, thousands of Willie's from Great Britain, from England or Scotland and were involved in early golf in America.
Speaker 1: They all those guys are named Willy. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Parents weren't very creative and no dolling out names, and it makes it hard to follow because you know, they're very common names, and you know, doing searches online makes it kind of difficult. But Willie Campbell designed the first nine hole course in eighteen ninety five. It was expanded to eighteen holes in nineteen hundred, but it was it was short, and the technology advances in that with the Haskell ball and steel shafts instead of hickory shafts were creating, uh, you know, the need for longer courses. I think the course was fifty six hundred yards and that wasn't going to cut it better. Better athletes were playing golf and better equipment was was obsoleting a lot of courses. And the court and the and the club leased the land from the from the Pennsylvania Railroad, and Clement Chriskam don't you know, allowed them to be on his property as well. So they looked to find a place where they could buy land and build a championship golf course that was you don't go to stands attested time for the better players. As Philadelphia embraced golf and embraced championship golf. The fellow that bought the three hundred acres with the idea of making the land available to Marion at half price, brought in an H. H. Barker to look it over. He was an English architect. You probably know him more about him than I do. But he submitted a He submitted a letter and then a routing map for the club. We have the letter. Unfortunately we don't have the routing map, so it's hard to understand what he what he was looking at. You know, there were no boundaries then the house and the location for the housing lots were not delineated at that time, so we are don't we don't really know what he was looking at a few years I guess that was nineteen ten. So the next year they brought in the two most celebrated golfers in America SEEBE McDonald and H. J. Wigham. They both had US Amateur championships. McDonald was in the middle of, you know, creating National Golf Links, which is you know, is usually considered the first best course in the United States. But that was using old World principles in a lot of ways, and the routing is up and back routing with the you know, very little wind variety and things like that. But they came in and looked at the and consulted. I'm sure they knew each other from the Leslie Cup, the Inner Club, inner City competitions, and they suggested a six thousand yard golf course. I think McDonald didn't want to thing to surpass or or you know, be or outshine National Golf Links, so the six thousand yard golf course, but that's not really what Mary was looking for. They were looking for something a more severe test than that. And eventually they you know that Hugh Wilson went to it with some of the committee members and went to visit McDonald and Wigham at National Golf Links. Came back with a whole bunch of ideas and eventually they set her on a like several ideas they had McDonald look at them, and he helped them choose which of their designs. It wasn't the McDonald McDonald design. He helped them select which he thought would be the best design turns out to be the one that we have now, and it was. It was an in house project. Like I said, there was only twenty two bunkers to start with. They wanted to see how the course played. I mean these guys were amateur golf out commissure architects. They didn't really couldn't foresee how, you know, how the golf course would play in actuality versus you know, theoretical, So they waited to see how the course played. It was awarded the nineteen sixteen Amateur, which only four years after opening, was probably more indicative, how you know. The Philadelphians were you know, considered that you know, throw you know, to have a major tournament, and the Amateur was the major tournament back then. The US opened was sort of second bananas. I think it became more prominent and after Bobby Jones retired the US opened that is, but for at that time, the US Amateur was the premier event in the in the United States. And they took a look at the golf course and said, well, this isn't going to work because there's only twenty two bunkers. And there was some outdated design practices, some mounding, you know the quite chocolate drops but mid Surrey kind of mounding, and some squared greens and kind of geometric looking bunkers. But that's when you know, Hugh Wilson and Flynn together decided to take the course in a more original direction, and that's you know, really one of the earliest examples of American architecture, which they called the scientific design that you know, supplanted in a lot of ways the Victorian designs and even the template designs that McDonald and later mcgrater were doing. But again, so they held the nineteen sixteen Amateur was a huge success. They played the Amateur on both the East and West courses, and then by the time nineteen twenty four came around, we were able to you know, apply the additional seven and a half acres Alost ten, twelve, ten and eleven, twelve and thirteen were redesigned and I think dramatically improved, mostly by Flynn, with Wilson contributing as well. He you know, he was on a lot of Wilson was on a lot of committees. He had to run his own family insurance business, it was maritime insurance, and he was on the executive board of the USGA. He's on the Green Section board. He was in other local boards and stuff like that. So he was really he groomed Flint and they were they. I'm sure nothing was done without Hugh Wilson's oversight, but also a lot of changes were made after Hugh Wilson passed away. The first hall is a Flinn Hall that was redesigned for the nineteen thirty amateur and really until Gil Hants came in twenty eighteen, the golf course was exactly the same for the what eighty something years, So this was, you know, a great collaboration between Hugh Wilson and William Flinton. Right, the course is essentially their work, their baby. I'm fascinated by Hugh Wilson.
Speaker 1: You know. My understanding is that he was he was basically just a member of Yeah, I mean he was right, I mean he wasn't he wasn't a hired gun. He wasn't a professional architect by any means. No, he was just I guess they identified him as, hey, this guy's smart and maybe maybe he'll maybe he'll be able to build us a good course. And he's right here, he's in the membership and and let's go with him. So who was Hugh Wilson like and how did he come to be such a such alliant designer of this course the very least.
Speaker 2: I think that's a great question. I think it's really good to highlight his contributions because they go well beyond Marion in a lot of ways. He was a collegiate golfer. He was a captain of the golf team at Princeton, graduating in nineteen oh two. While he was at Princeton, he was involved in the new design of the Springdale course on campus that moved from a couple miles away to where it is today. And when Flynn redesigned the course, it was in homage to Hugh Wilson. That's the kind of relationship they had. It was really like a father and son relationship. But Hugh Wilson was you know, he was an excellent golfer. He wasn't the best golfer in Philadelphia, but he was really beloved people. I mean, he was just a guy that you could not help. But like he was a soft spoken, sickly kind of guy. You know, he was often he's kind of rail thin, and he always had ailments. He ended up dying in nineteen twenty five, right after the twenty like February. I think it was of twenty five, right after the not long after the twenty four Amateur. But he was sickly through for many years. He used to go up to Massachusetts and convalesced by the ocean. Ended up dying young at of nephritis, and he had arterial sclerosis as well. But while he was, you know, he was a young guy that the big wigs, the big potatoes that Marion Deem you know, named him as the guy to do the job. He dived in head first. He became one of the world's experts on turf, grasses construction and all that. Piper and Oakley had a book Developed Turf for golf courses and there's a chapter. McDonald did a chapter, but Hugh Wilson did a chapter on how they designed and turf to Marion and it's it's just fascinating how much time he developed. And really between Alan Wilson, U's brother, I'm not sure if he was older or younger, Hugh Wilson and William Flynn, they were very much responsible for the development of the USGA Green section. So to me, Hugh Wilson is just, you know, he was he had so much energy, so much desire to learn, and his goal was to create the best of course, and and and create a you know, a collaborative community. And and really you think about Pine Valley, the collaborative effort there, Cobbs Creek. These were Philadelphians that didn't you know that they relished and embraced working together to create something. There was no egos or anything like that. If you look at some of the writings that that Hugh Wilson did, he never.
Speaker 1: Talked about I did this or we did that.
Speaker 2: You know, it was always this is what happened. He never you know, tried to take credit. He was a I think he was a humble man in a lot of ways, kind of yeah, typical Quaker gentleman, although he wasn't Quaker, but.
Speaker 1: Right, the influence maybe, but maybe was regionally.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: An aspect of Hugh Wilson's story that I that I find very interesting is his visits to National Golf Links and then his trip over to see courses in Great Britain. What influence do you think those those travels had on on what he eventually did it?
Speaker 2: Marion, I'm not so sure that I think with the visit with McDonald and Wigum at National gave him a perspective he probably didn't have before, right, I don't think there was a direct influence, although there was a principal's nose on the fourth hole for a while, you know that really big cross bunker. Yeah, short of that was was a principal's nose feature, so interesting, So there was some influence.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I mean he certainly didn't pick up the templates. But I guess you know, if I'm putting myself back in the early nineteen teens and I see National Golf Links and all I've seen is the other courses that existed in the US at the time, I'm not necessarily saying to myself I want to do template holes now, but I'm saying to myself, oh man, there's a lot of potential in golf architecture. Yeah, you know, the grandeur of this course, that the scale of this achievement is something that, Ohsue, we can think bigger now. I think. I think in.
Speaker 2: Creating a knowledge base on turf, grass and maintenance practices helped a lot. Oh sure, yeah, National was big in that, right.
Speaker 1: They had trouble.
Speaker 2: National was failing they you know, they they it was built on straight sand and they had lots of trouble. Pine Valley had tons of trouble, you know, after opening because the golf course was built on straight sand and they didn't really modify the soil, and they were losing the golf course all the time. There was a while where Flynn was both the superintendent at Pine Valley and Marion. That must have been a pretty tough commute, but back in the late nineteenth nineteen nineteen and nineteen twenty. But so, I think there was something about the Philadelphians, the George Thomas, the George Crump and Wilson w was was in the was in that group. Yeah, yeah, that this Philadelphia school of golf architecture. They wanted to do things differently. They wanted an American style of golf architecture and have a much more natural natural look, you know. Uh that that wasn't kind of a stark contrast between what's man made and what's what's what's what's.
Speaker 1: You know, what is?
Speaker 2: Yeah right yeah, So and then you know, when there was architecture, they and this was sort of the the way Flynn became the nature fakers. If they if they were going to do something that was man made, they didn want they didn't want it to look man made. They didn't want geometric features or anything like that one because they're more expensive to maintain. But also they just they just thought that it needs to look like the hand of man's not there. And there's something about you know, even though you know marrying you know, the teaser built and the bunkers are built, and the greens or but there's something about it that there's a harmony there with it. If you get a sense of maybe a pastoral feeling that you're you know that you know, it's it's all, it's right, if you know what I mean this, You're not playing against man, you're playing against nature. And to me that's that's a great feature with the you know, with natural looking golf courses, there's just a different feel about it. So I do think well the influence on Hugh Wilson and later Flynn from the UK trip that Wilson took and Flynn never went over there, so that you know, this is a this all flowed through Hugh Wilson was the more natural looking, the look of the bunkering and the seaside. You know, he went to the seaside what be it the Jersey Shore which he talked about, or the or the bunkering that he saw on the links Lands. Just I think that had a huge impact on how he approached the design astatic of the bunkering and things.
Speaker 1: Right. Well, you know, throughout this conversation, Wayne, we've sort of been developing an argument for Marion's importance that it's at the beginning of something in American golf architecture. And I'd like to kind of put a cap on that. You know, how, how would you talk about Marion's influence and importance in the development of golf architecture in the US.
Speaker 2: That's a tough question. That's a good question, but you know, not easy. A number of different directions you could take. I mean, let me suggest William Flynn went out to do a bunch of other things that were influential and important in their own right, and really his origin story is with the design and development of this golf course alongside Hugh Wilson.
Speaker 1: Right, So that's one direction, right. Another direction might be this introduction of naturalism to American golf architecture. Aroach, don't you answer this question? Well?
Speaker 2: Sorry, no, no, I think I really don't mean.
Speaker 1: To ask a question that I already have an answer to because you know, what you've said so far is basically what I'm giving back to you right now. But you've kind of developed this naturalism idea. There's also perhaps the idea of strategic architecture, you know, arranged on a championship golf course, or strategic architecture applied to the end of challenging really good players that Marian seems to embody. So those are kind of three different directions that I've seen you take this subject so far in the conversation. But I don't know if there's anything.
Speaker 2: Else or whether one of those stands out to you. I look at Philadelphia at large, the kind of work that was going on with the Philadelphia School of Golf architects, Pine Valley and Marion. Again, these were collaborative efforts, less so at Marian than it was at Pine Valley, but it was all about creating championship golf courses that would stand the test of time and develop better players. I think they they succeeded very well, not only that, but identifies great players. You look at the champions at Marion, they're you know, I mean, maybe maybe Olin Dutris kind of the exception which you know, there's bound to be some exceptions to the rule. But there's a reason why Bobby Jones won two amateurs there, there's a reason why Ben Hogan won when he won. The course demands a full complement of shots and the ability to move the ball both ways, which kind of gets lost a little bit in the modern game. I guess although you know, Mike, as I aged Mike, I'm hitting not hitting it as far as I used to, and uh, those demands aren't quite there as much anymore. But I'm moving up teas. I like playing combo te's now and things like that, so you can set marrying up with short teas that make it available, you know, make it enjoyable for everybody. But I do think that it's the collaborative effort at you know that Marion and Pine Valley, and particularly the sharing of knowledge and the growth of knowledge that Hugh Wilson and William Flynn had together. It transported everywhere. It transporting out Thomas, you know, he brought up to California. Tilling has brought it all over the country. But there were two classrooms where these guys learned their lessons and became you know, the exceptional talents that they became, and that's Marian and Pine Valley, and the reasons for both are the same. You know, developed championship golfers want, you know, you need requiring, you know, needing a championship golf course to create championship golfers. And I really do think the influence is far and wide in the United States today. There's been a little bit of a uh, you know, things happen in cycles, so there's been a little bit of a return to the McDonald rayner stuff that, you know, bringing the lido back and you know, some of the designs influences of MacDonald or Rayner. But to me, that's not America thing, you know, that's that's sort of a vestige of the old world. Maybe he had one foot in the old world in one foot in the kind of new world, but Philadelphia took it in an entirely different direction and created an American style of golf architecture.
Speaker 1: There's sort of these twin origin stories, I guess of American golf architecture, the yin and the Yang represented by National Golf Links on the one hand, which opened in nineteen eleven, right was developed for several years before that, but it finally became you know, playable by about nineteen eleven. Yeah, and then it was the very next year that the initial iteration of Hugh Wilson's design at the East Course at Marion opened, And so it's it's within this two year period that we have kind of two different paths for American golf architecture opening up. Yeah.
Speaker 2: That trunk of the tree, you know, has two really big branches separated early on.
Speaker 1: It's so interesting, though, I heard you say earlier that that you really think that the East Course came into its own and this is just my interpretation of what you said, came into its own more in nineteen sixteen.
Speaker 2: Around Yeahsaover was helped. Yeah, so that when you think that Marion really became the kind of path breaking golf course that we're talking about right now, yeah, I do think so. And it was and you know, championship golf at Marion's always been a you know, in the DNA of the club, and it's really the reason why the club, the course improved over time. I mean, if you think of nineteen twelve to nineteen thirty four, there were a lot of changes that were made and fortunately not all changes or improvements, but these were these were all improvements in the golf course. And again it was Hugh Wilson, then Hugh Wilson and Flynn then Flynn, and I think without a doubt the it's sort of a microcosm of the evolution of golf architecture, and it followed the evolution of golf going from you know, hitting a two hundred and twenty yard shot with a with a hickory and a gun approch it to you know what they're you know, they're they're you know, four hundred and sixty cc drivers that they're carrying three sixty hitting three wood over the first green. It's still a relevant golf you know, still a relevant golf course. And there's not too many sixty eight sixty nine hundred yard golf courses that today that can you know, withstand the the the improvements in golfers and golf equipment. Studying that golf course. I think anybody who wants is interested in golf architecture needs to study it for what it is. Like you, like you pointed out where it is in the in the evolution of golf architecture in America, but it's it's It's an example of a golf course that you know, considered short, is still you know, still uh, still relevant and enjoyable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was. It was important at the time that it was built for a variety of reasons, because of its newness and because of what it indicated about where golf architecture could go. And now it still seems to be important, partly because it represents a way to challenge elite players without enlarging and lengthening everything, right, And so the course's significance has maybe shifted over the years, but but it's but it's still there. So, uh, thank you so much for for coming on the podcast. Wayne. It's always a delight to talk to you. And uh, you know, your research has been really important in my own understanding thing of this course and many of William Flynn's other courses. So so thank you for that research. And we'll have to talk again soon.
Speaker 2: Thanks Gay. When are we going to play golf together any anytime I'm on a plane, I'm outside of Portland, Oregon, so I'm always away. I'm always away, but it's I'm over one of these one of these days. I look forward to that. That's great. I really enjoyed talking to you. Your knowledge, your insights, your questioning abilities or are really phenomenal. So it's a pleasure to speak to you. It's a pleasure to get you know, inspired to uh to you know, to to be able to dig in and and be able to answer your very insightful question. So much appreciated.
Speaker 1: This episode of Designing Golf was produced by Will. Thank you Will. If you'd like to support Frida Egg Golf further, go to the Frida Egg dot com slash membership to see what Frida Egg Golf Club is all about. Lots of fun things happening in there. We have a new member app where we're interacting talking about golf courses, talking about the game, and that's been really fun. Also, make sure to check out Frida Egg Golf Volume two, which is our second coffee table book currently in pre order. There's pre order through September second, so go to the pro shop dot Thefrida Egg dot com to see the coffee table book offering really cool stuff there. Thank you for listening, and we'll be back again soon with another episode.