Speaker 1: The following.
Speaker 2: He is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club Cowboys.
Speaker 3: This he's Talking Cowboys training live.
Speaker 4: From Dallas Cowboys training camp in Oxnard, calist titsdown.
Speaker 5: And now your hosts Isaiah Standback, Patrick Walker, Josh Rodriguez, and Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 6: Welcome to Talking Cowboys. We are live if I'm training camp in Oxnard, California. It is a nice sunny seventy three degrees. I am Josh Rodriguez filling in for Kyle Yeomans. Isaiah Standback will also be back next week. I'm here with Patrick Nocy Walker, I'm here with Tommy Ursh. Christopher Beemer is in the front, and we are here live the front in the front, we'll just take Christine in the front. And we're here live from Trinny Camps, California. We're off, We're doing our thing. We're happy to be here. It's nice and sunny. It was cloudy a second ago, and for the big boys out there, it was lovely. It was lovely, and now it's a little sunny, and now I'm a little uncomfortable, but that's all right. We're still doing our thing. We're still doing hoodie and we're still doing shorts.
Speaker 7: It just means that God's watching the podcast because it was cloudy about five ten minutes ago. A few minutes right before we went live, clouds partied.
Speaker 6: Son came out, Yeah, why do we do the podcast hold in the roof? Huh?
Speaker 1: Because still God I can watch watch his favorite pod.
Speaker 6: Number one rated podcast.
Speaker 1: That's right. The people have spoken, sources say. You mentioned we are the people's chances, you mentioned just.
Speaker 8: The hoodie and you know all that. Real quick as we get started here, I want to say thanks to our friends.
Speaker 9: At the at the Cowboys Pro Shop for hooking us up with some great gear.
Speaker 8: You can get this like a little short sleeve hoodie deal. I love this. I'm gonna wear the heck out of this.
Speaker 6: I love this.
Speaker 8: I love thanks to the material so so solid.
Speaker 1: It's velvet.
Speaker 8: Yeah it is, it is.
Speaker 6: I didn't get that one and I am green with jealous rage.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you for relaxed, Bruce.
Speaker 8: I'm very happy. So thanks to our friends of the Cowboys prush Up and you can get one of these. You're on at the Cowboys Prushup.
Speaker 6: So if you want to shop dot be comfortable.
Speaker 9: Yeah, something like that. But if you want to be comfortable, just like me up here.
Speaker 8: I love it. Seventy three degree weather.
Speaker 6: Look great. I'm gonna fight you for that hoodie.
Speaker 8: Thank you.
Speaker 6: It's gonna get a little chippy out here. Yeah, I guess we're else. It's getting chippy. You like that?
Speaker 9: A good transition on the practice field quality.
Speaker 1: Getting chppy on the practice field quality.
Speaker 6: We're getting into practice, We're getting into this. Day four, Day.
Speaker 1: Five, Well, were two practices down.
Speaker 6: Now, okay, fair enough, shoddy address the fights that were happening at camp. We saw one early on day one, No big deal, A little skirmish, no big deal.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 6: Day two was a little interesting, a real chippy. Maybe a punch or two thrown. I don't know. Sources say maybe.
Speaker 1: A source informed there was a couple of punches thrown.
Speaker 6: Shotty talked about it. Punches can't be We can't be throwing punching out there. Can't do it is And I know he's talking about a new culture and being intense, finding ways to be intense, but you have to be disciplined at the same time. Boy, is this this is toxic culture that we're seeing in Brian Schottenheimer.
Speaker 8: No, I mean this is normal. I think this is football.
Speaker 6: I think you heard it from contact sports.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's a contact sport.
Speaker 9: And these are these are guys who have been wanting to go for a while now, right, and now they finally get a chance to kind of let it out a little bit, and you know, not not as much as they should be. You know, pads come on on Sunday, there's gonna be plenty of opportunities for you to go and hit somebody. Uh So you know, you just gotta you just gotta know how to practice, right, and you gotta know how to practice. This is their first time practicing under Brian Schottheimer. I think you know as well as you as well as he could. He shut everything down pretty quick, and the Cowboys staff shut everything down pretty quick. But punches and stuff like that, you know, pushing and shoving, that's one thing, right, Like that's naturally gonna happen. Like Keemon Hall and Ceedee Lamb got into it yesterday and they got into so you know, they got in a shove match. Throw the ball and that's fine. These guys are going at it there. You know, I think Dak put it really well, in his in his press conference, it's like, man, these guys are fighting for jobs. You know, they're fighting for their livelihood out here. So it's intense. It's gonna be high pressure and naturally, is you know, just human nature, that stuff's gonna happen.
Speaker 8: So you just can't let it boil over too far.
Speaker 1: Is it toxic? Absolutely not.
Speaker 7: You know what I would view as toxic, uh a football team, Well, of course, but a football team that doesn't show physicality, does not show intensity, he shows some type of you know, lackadaisical behavior toward what is another pivotal season for the Dallas Cowboys. I mean, this is a pressure pecked season for reasons on several layers. Of course, the most prevalent is going to be the fact that you're bringing in a new head coach. But on top of that, this is his first time as an NFL head coach. He has a lot to prove as early as year one. So if you're Brian Schottenheimer, you want and I love what Dak Prescott said yesterday about it. He said that it's about walking the line. He said, it's a fine line.
Speaker 1: Excuse me.
Speaker 7: It's about being competitive but not being combative and that's what it needs to be. But he said it's healthy, and I agree with Dak Prescott it is healthy. But I also agree with Brian Schottenheimer and saying you can't throw punches.
Speaker 1: You absolutely can't throw punches. A shovy match here and there.
Speaker 7: Okay, Fine, that's called alpha males squaring off in a circle and getting their business on. Okay, But when it comes to you know what we saw in Day two with a huge scrum and a couple punches were thrown here and there. That can't happen because if you're allowing it as a head coach to happen in practice, then you're going to ultimately have a hard time policing it in a game when that third down is on the line, the quarter is on the line, the game is on the line, and that's going to be the difference. Especially in a division that says feverishly competitive as the NFC East, that can be the difference between you making the playoffs and you being on the outside looking in by one or two games. So we talk about penalties, self discipline, being able to control what you can control. You can control what your hands are doing when when it comes time to, you know, get face to face with a guy. And on top of that, I am eternally on the on the level of one of the dumbest things I've ever seen in life. And I play ball. Why would you throw a punch of a guy wearing a helmet? Yeah, the helmet always wins.
Speaker 8: It's always a good question.
Speaker 6: It's an interesting decision. But as you're saying, you know, motions are high, you have you're competing and getst one of them, showing that there.
Speaker 1: Are dogs out there, which I love.
Speaker 6: I like seeing it. But as brianon shot number said that there has to be a way to discipline it. And another thing that you wrote in your article following up Brian Schottennhammer talking about it is that when you have aggressiveness to that level, when you control it, it is all the more dangerous. That to me is indicative of who this team. It's a good thing that early on in camp we're seeing these things, but you don't want that to reflect on the field on Sunday when you're going against teams, finds can be incurred and you can get players eliminated off the field, you know, thrown off the field for throwing punches. It's not good. We've seen it before. We don't want to tap it.
Speaker 7: Here's what I said, and feel free to check out the article on Dallas Cowboys dot com that I wrote based upon what Shody said about how he's policing and how he expects the Dallas Cowboys to act in practice. And for those of us that were present in real time, it was refreshing to see Schottenheimer's response, Oh, he.
Speaker 1: Got into it.
Speaker 7: If we got into it, there were f bombs flying all over the place, and then magically there were no other incidences thereafter in that particular practice. Of course, we had almost one yesterday. But then what do we see. Schottheimer runs in, He helps pull keem on on, haul off Keimon had he had it cocked back.
Speaker 1: What did Schattahammer say, don't do it.
Speaker 7: Don't do it because Schottenheimer is going to penalize these guys as it would be in the game. You're probably gonna miss some reps out here in practice, you might get a fine by the team out here in training camp. So ultimately to your point, Josh, like I said in the article, intensity plus control equals wins equal success. That's how you do it. You need to be the most intense you can be. But at the end of the day, you have to stand on that razor's edge effectively.
Speaker 6: And holding players accountable, I think is a huge part of it too. And holding the coach except responsble.
Speaker 1: What accountability word again?
Speaker 6: It keeps coming up.
Speaker 1: Coming up with Schoenheimer's culture. Okay, I like that. I like tasty, spicy.
Speaker 6: Another thing you guys can control, or are the players can control on the field, turnovers. Yes, that's been a big emphasis, at least for me watching practice over the past couple of days. You're seeing a lot of turnovers. You're seeing the defense making a lot of plays now, I guess outside looking at and when you hear about interceptions, I think at practice, especially a training camp, when you're instilling a brand new offense, those are it comes with the territory. You want those chances to be taken out here versus on Sunday against whoever.
Speaker 8: It is.
Speaker 6: My thing is fumbles, ball security. We're seeing quite a bit of that so far. First week of camp, first couple of days, instilling those things. Does that concern you at all about Shoddy's offense?
Speaker 9: Not necessarily, you know, I think the fumbles that we've seen, right, I think when you think about earlier in practice, these are way after the play is blown dead, right.
Speaker 8: These are training camp reps to where, hey, they.
Speaker 9: Want everybody to run through the finish, right, they want everybody to run through the finish. I mean, I think back to the one that Donovan Wilson knocked out.
Speaker 8: I don't remember who the.
Speaker 9: Receiver was, but he was twenty thirty yards down the field just thinking he was fine, and then Donovan Wilson comes in and punches the ball out. So there's a catch twing two, right, Because on one hand, when Matty Eberflus's defensives have been at their best, they're forcing turnovers.
Speaker 8: Their stop of the run.
Speaker 9: We talked about that extensively, and so when you see that, you know, Malik Hooker getting a one handed pick, Zion Childress, the undrafted free agent at of Kentucky getting a pick. Those are all things that you know encourage you. And those were two plays that and those guys just made it. It wasn't necessarily a bad I guess you could say it was bad passes from Dak.
Speaker 8: And Joe Milton could throw the picks. But those guys made a heck of a play so.
Speaker 6: Interception that today that.
Speaker 7: That's an example of it was not a bad pass. Malee Cooker just made the play.
Speaker 9: I think dak On the through it a little a little bit and it allowed him to make the less it was.
Speaker 8: It was a great play.
Speaker 7: And now will say there have been a bad pass or to the past the pick by Marshawn Knelan.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that wasn't.
Speaker 1: So it's a Thommy's point.
Speaker 7: It's a mix of Well, first of all, to answer your question, no, I'm not concerned with the offense because I believe the offense will get that cleaned up. Because we talk about Brian Schotenheimer taking over as head coach. Guess what, he's also taken over his offensive play caller. You have new pieces in play, whether it be George Pickens, whether it be you know, Tyler Gotton going in the year two, Tyler Bookie, Tyler Booker or rookie right guard. Four new faces in the running backs room. The list goes on and on. So they need time to kind of finish their installation in jail. From an ebra flu standpoint, that makes it easier for your guys to make plays on the ball, right, and when you're talking about punching the ball away, which is you know, just one example of that's not.
Speaker 1: Based on scheme. Right.
Speaker 7: So while the Cowboys offense is working on scheme and routes and timing and things like that, if you're a defensive player, one thing that's never going to be predicated upon what the scheme was, what the play call was, is if you're near me and that the ball is near me, I can punch at it. Okay, if you make the throw and I'm in the vicinity, I can go up and try to get the ball. So kudos to the defense. I mean, they're just taking the ball away time and time again. Alie Cooker kayer Elam. You mentioned Zon Childrens, Donavan Wilson's punching the ball free.
Speaker 1: I mean, these guys are really getting.
Speaker 7: After the on defense and it's going to what Schottenhammer is predicting in that the Cowboys quote unquote will be one of the top teams in the league and take away So far so good. We'll see if it plays out in a very dan Quinnish way, but so far so good.
Speaker 6: Well, keep me honest, do the interceptions kind of give you guys any sort of like, are you fine as far as like them learning this new offensive scheme? Are you fine with seeing an interception or two? Or is it just like literally, I don't want to see it at all.
Speaker 1: I'm fine seeing it in training camp.
Speaker 6: It's training camp, and it's the first one to get it out the way.
Speaker 9: It's no training I thine like, I think that sometimes maybe we put too much stock into you know, Dak has two picks on the day, it's the guy's gonna throw interceptions. He's gonna throw interceptions in the regular season. Every quarterback does. It's gonna have And you know, this is a guy who's coming back from injury. He's still I don't know if he's knocking the rust off at this point because he was there for OTAs and things like that, but you know, he's getting used to a new receiver in George Pickens and trying to understand what Brian Schottenheimer wants. I don't know if if Dak necessarily going into year ten and he's had several years working with Brian Schottenheimer, if there's necessarily a lot that he has to pick up or a lot that he has to learn or a lot that he has to change at this point in his career. But nonetheless, it takes time to mesh everything together, and it takes time to get back up to training camp speed, because I think training camp speed is different than Ota speed. Ota is a lot of install and you know, getting these guys up to speed, and you know it's the guys around him too, George Pickens getting comfortable and these running backs getting comfortable to running backs tack Prescott's never played with, and right now they don't have pads on, so we can't really tell a lot from.
Speaker 8: The running backs. So no, it doesn't concern me at all.
Speaker 9: It's gonna happen, and it it's.
Speaker 8: Gonna happen again.
Speaker 9: Prescott's gonna throw more interceptions during training camp, but he's also gonna throw touchdowns. I mean, I thought the offense responded pretty well yesterday. After those first couple of picks.
Speaker 8: It looked rocky at first, but they made some good plays down the stretch.
Speaker 6: Well, wasn't it. After the Mollie Cooker interception. Immediately following that play was one of the best passes I'd seen all of camp, back to George Pickens in a corner route yeah, just insane man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, George.
Speaker 6: That and not to mention just the relationship that in chemistry the DACK is already building with George Pickens this early in training camp. I mean, that's like one of my favorite things to see is George Pickens out here because it looks like he's having a great time. I don't know what was going on in Pittsburgh, but it seems like he's very happy to be here.
Speaker 7: It bears mention in what you just said in that George Pickens. Again, don't know where the narrative came from out in Pittsburgh. I'm not in Pittsburgh, so I don't know. All I can do is based upon what I'm seeing, and George Pickens is having the.
Speaker 1: Time of his life's out here.
Speaker 7: And if you don't believe less, there are plenty of video that show him dancing and celebrating with cde Lamb. You know, the grenade celebration.
Speaker 6: Just that from us. Actually we typically do that after the show, and then they saw us doing it and they.
Speaker 7: Were like, oh, well then I got it from ronald'cunye. So but I mean, yeah, I got it from Ronald d'acunya. I I Thommas got it from Ronald mc but no, again, just to recap really quickly, I mean, this is an offense that not only are they looking to install a new scheme in Brian Schottenheimer, but Shotty keeps talking about multiple looks, multiple sets, right, so they're trying to install multiple things under center Shotgun. You saw Dak Prescott take off on a read option yesterday. So while they're doing all of this and trying to get time in and everything down, atdvantage defense because all you have to do is react to an offense that's.
Speaker 1: Still working out a lot of tweaks.
Speaker 7: So are there some you know, throws that Dak Prescott and Joe Milton and Will Greer want back through.
Speaker 1: The first two practices, Absolutely there are.
Speaker 7: There are some bad throws there, but then there are some throws that it was just an athletic place. So kudos to the defense. But again to your point, do I care about am I worried? Should I say, am I worried about interceptions and training camp?
Speaker 1: No? Because this is when you experiment.
Speaker 7: This is when you see what works, so that when you get to the regular season and it's September fourth and it's against the Philadelphia Eagles.
Speaker 1: You know what to try and.
Speaker 7: What to not try, what don't don't, don't do that, but do that?
Speaker 6: All right, boys, I have a big question for you guys. When we get back from the break, I need you to pick one offensive player, one defensive player, biggest standouts from camp so far, Week one, when we come back, talking Cowboys on Dallas Cowboys dot Com.
Speaker 10: AT and T has a new guarantee. Because most things in life are not guaranteed, like getting through self checkout by.
Speaker 11: Yourself warning, each item must be placed in the bagging area.
Speaker 8: Not guarantee.
Speaker 11: Place item in the bagging area. Place in the bagging area.
Speaker 1: You know what.
Speaker 10: AT and T guarantees connectivity. You depend on deals you want, in service you deserve, or we may right burms and conditions supply is a att dot com slast guarantee for details. AT and T connecting changes everything.
Speaker 3: If you're looking for fresh American roasted coffee that gives back, you need to head to your local grocery store and pick up a bag of Black Rifle coffee. That's right, America's coffee is now available in the coffee aisle of a grocery store near you. Black Rifle Coffee Company is veteran founded with a mission to give back to those brave men and women who have served our nation. Every bag box or can you purchase help support that mission. Head to your local grocery store and roast yourself some Black Rifle coffee today.
Speaker 12: If you shout how about them Cowboys, you have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't be beat better. Yet, Gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone. The wins will be even taste here, it's a pepper thing.
Speaker 3: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black, and right now, Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus, because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy Whipbam. Make a play for the Playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 2: To the Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 6: Welcome back to Talking Cowboys live from Oxtar, California. This segment is brought to you by Invisi Line, the official smile of the Dallas Cowboys. All right, boys, I'm gonna throw back to Kyle. Kyle loves reading the YouTube comments. He always brings you back the comment of the day from YouTube shouts to my boy al Alf, excuse me, the Alf, the Josh, if you're on the show, I need an I don't know Jim to start the show. Well, it's the second segment. Give you one real quick. I don't know. Tommy doesn't really good.
Speaker 8: I don't know Jim.
Speaker 1: Tommy does an excellentither.
Speaker 8: I think my favorite, my favorite.
Speaker 9: That's like up there with the great like Tony Romo CBS Sports moments.
Speaker 8: But I think my favorite moment.
Speaker 9: I think he's calling Tyreek kills either with the Chiefs or the Dolphins, and he got the telestrated or out and he's like.
Speaker 8: And Tyreek is going to do this loop is hilarious. Touchdown and finishers like touchdown.
Speaker 6: That's my boy, tom good friend of mine, I don't.
Speaker 8: Know, good friend of the program.
Speaker 7: Shout out to wrestling with the Bros. I'm always going to shout out my feeling. My fellow wrestling Officionado, shout outs my god man, all Cowboys fans who are also Big wrestling fans or.
Speaker 1: The b w W, a w T and they whatever the case may be, we love you.
Speaker 6: R I P to the Hulkster, not the other guy. All right, boys, one offensive player, one defensive player that stood out the most in Week one. All right, I need you guys, give me just one one apiece. Tommy, you want to go.
Speaker 9: First, Well, defense is easy, Donovan is roku defense. Well, defense is pulled?
Speaker 1: Yeah, what did I just It's a bar either way?
Speaker 9: You did actually exactly what I was going for. No, the defense is easy, and Donovan is making it look very easy. See that's even better. But you know this guy's when we were talking about him on the Draft show, I think in the point that we made a lot of times was, hey, this is a guy who is one of, if not the more pro ready.
Speaker 8: Guys coming out of the draft.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 8: This is a guy who led the A, C, C and sacks last year.
Speaker 9: He won the word for the best college football defensive end last year, and he was just dominant at Boston College. And I think yesterday was the day, like it's his second practice was really good, but yesterday was a day where you know, when I was doing training camp a love with Mickey or just standing on the sideline on the back of the end zone, I'm like, man, he is beating everybody. I mean, his first step is unbelievable. He's got great bend. The bend is something that we talked about all the time with him, where he can just blow past you and he can use his arms really well to just make the right move and beat the tackle. And you know, Tyler Guiden's a guy who has had some good reps, but man, Donovan is rock who had him beat bad a couple of times out there. And so you know, we've talked about a lot of the defensive end room, like this is one of the more deep rooms that the Cowboys have on.
Speaker 8: This roster deep. Indeed, there you go. If Donovan is a Rock turns out to be the second.
Speaker 9: Best defensive end on this team behind Michael Parsons, the Cowboys are going to be.
Speaker 8: Set there for years to come. Because I think this kid's the real deal.
Speaker 9: He's going to be a really good football player for a really long time, and he's just starting to show the flashes here early of what he can be.
Speaker 6: Patrick, before you give your defensive give me a little bit more about easy.
Speaker 1: Well, it's funny you meant you say that, because that's also.
Speaker 8: My I feel like that.
Speaker 9: I feel like there's guys who has had good days, but as a Rocket, the last two practices just blows.
Speaker 7: You'll be a consensus right now and everything Tommy said, and let me add to this, he's already and I tweeted this as a rookie, no exaggeration, no, how perfectly as a rookie coming into the league, he's easily one of easyly one of the best. Should yeah, one of the best technicians at his past rush that I've seen, and not just so rookie as a rookie, not just so technically sound in one or two moves. He has the array of pass rush moves and the ability in Schoenheimer said this to me yesterday or before when I asked him about easy He said, he has the ability to set the edge as well, which we're seeing as far as run defense on the edge goes.
Speaker 1: But when you talk.
Speaker 7: About for the dip the bend, the first step is absolutely insanity. His first step is instantly comparable to two players on this defense in this defensive end room, Michael Parsons and Sam Williams.
Speaker 6: Insane.
Speaker 7: And that is an insane compliment for a rookie who did not play at a huge program. But by the way, he's a record setter at his program in Boston College.
Speaker 1: You see everything you need to see from this guy and more.
Speaker 7: That not only justifies him being the second round pick, but you start to wonder why he fell out of the first round.
Speaker 6: But to that point, though, when you're choosing a defensive end one of the most important positions in our game, but when you're choosing one in the second round, you're typically drafting a guy that has a move maybe hey traits all the possibilities high ceilings. What this guy is showing you out here is that he looks like he has as sort of all of those things combined into one package. For a second round defensive end of his caliber to be picked that late in the second round, it's impressive.
Speaker 9: And you know, I'm gonna use the line from my good friend Vach Lombardi.
Speaker 8: Teams don't know how to draft.
Speaker 9: Teams don't know how to draft, and so you know, when we look back at this draft three years down the line or five years down the line or something, you're gonna look at guys ahead of down of Azeraku if he, you know, continue Obviously we don't know what kind of career he's gonna have, but I could very well see a scenario where it's like, how on earth did you think this guy was gonna be better than Azaraku? And you know, it just goes back to when I talked to Bill O'Brien about this kid earlier in the off season after the Cowboys drafted him.
Speaker 8: You know, there's he's a little bit undersized.
Speaker 9: You know, he's not necessarily the tallest guy at defensive end, he's not necessarily the stockiest guy, but he's just so technically sound. And that's what Bill O'Brien, who has seen some very good defensive ends in his day, namely a guy like JJ Watt.
Speaker 8: You know when he was with the Houston Texans.
Speaker 1: What he did.
Speaker 8: I think. So it's a bit hard.
Speaker 9: Or something, but you know, this is a guy who just finds a way to get him too the backfield.
Speaker 8: And it's a guy who's.
Speaker 9: You know, was he's the first person that Bill O'Brien that when he took the job at Boston College. This is a guy who loves football and he loves being a leader on his team. So it wouldn't shocked me at all if this guy is a centerpiece for the Cowboys defense going forward.
Speaker 7: And now I'll say this one final inclosing on Israeku is his ability coming in? And well, it's early. We'll see what his trajectory continues to look like, but my god, is he off to a fast start. But what it does is we're sitting here talking about a rookie after day two being the biggest defensive standout in a defensive endroom. Granted, Michael Parson is not on the field right now, but oh, by the way, Dante Fowler's out.
Speaker 6: There, and Dante Fowler's on a revenge tool.
Speaker 7: And Dante Fowler looks fantastic and we're still talking about Israelku a rookie, so Ezraku doing what he's doing, it's gonna push Dante Fowler even more so than Dante's already been pushed on his revenge tour. Coming off a career season, Sam Williams has more than enough motivation to get out there already, having missed all of last season with a toWin ACL talked to Sam yesterday and he said, with a smile, when it comes, when the pads get on, he was like, I'm going to try to kill somebody at least once.
Speaker 1: He was like, already has He said, I want everybody to be safe. This is his quote.
Speaker 7: He said, I want everybody to be safe, but at least once, I'm going to try to kill somebody.
Speaker 8: He killed Tyler Neville on the first day.
Speaker 7: So it's point bean when you see this level of ability within this defensive end room, including Azeraku, this level of competition where they're looking at each other saying anything you can do, I can do better, And let's not forget Marshawn Kneeling first camp interception. And he's also going to look the challenge as well, he's still my dark horse as far as breakout potential, breakout player in camp. This defensive end room, we talk about the concerns rightfully so about defensive tackle, defensive end.
Speaker 1: I have no concerns. He's very exciting.
Speaker 6: Okay, I'm gonna change it up a little bit. Obviously easy is the standout on defense, and especially for a rookie at this point, I want to be a little different, and I want to look at one Marris Lea foul. Boys, he's flying out, He's flying, he looks lean, he looks so fast. From his interview now on Dallas cowys dot com, he was saying that the game is sort of slowing down for him. The way I've seen him diagnosing defenses so far is not typical in the way that you would see a second year player now learning a brand new defensive scheme. I'm surprised to see that sort of jump from him so far having to learn a new defensive scheme. So I really do want to give a quick shout out to Mary sleefoul. But what do you guys seeing on the field. You guys are definitely on there a lot more than I am, so I kind of want your emphasis on this.
Speaker 9: Yeah, no, marys Leefoul is a guy who, you know, towards the end of the year last year, got more opportunities and got to make the.
Speaker 8: Most of them.
Speaker 9: This is a guy who is better as a blitzer than I think people give him credit for.
Speaker 8: But a super smart player.
Speaker 9: He had all the smarts coming out of order day and he was a five year player I think at Notre Dame. So this is a guy who's played a lot of football, He's played at a high level.
Speaker 8: And who knows the game really well.
Speaker 9: And that's what this coaching staff has always been very complimentary about him with. And you know, he's got a coach in Matti Refluse that kind of has the mind as touch when he comes to linebackers, right, this guy has a very strong track record of producing high end linebackers. I mean, you just look back in Chicago Tremaine Edmonds, and of course I'm blanket on the other guy's name. I can literally see his number, but I beg your pardon. But this is a guy who knows linebackers, who knows the position really well, and he has a past history of making sure that these guys play well in his system. But also making sure these guys know the position really well and can be leaders on the defense. So whether that's Maris Leefou who in his rookie season was the backup green Dot to Eric Kendricks, which I think says a lot about his football acumen and his knowledge of the defense already. Obviously, transitioning to a new system may change things, but you know, this is a guy that the Cowboys are looking and hopefully continue to take the next steps and continue to get down so that he can get some more playing times.
Speaker 7: And to Tommy's point, as far as Meris being, you know, getting tutored and talked and coached by Matt Eberflus when Iberflus was here in his first stint with the Cowboys and his linebackers coach. Yeah, he had an insane talent in Sean Lee. Unfortunately, you know, fifty couldn't stay healthy. However, the talent was there. You saw what Sean Lee was able to do win healthy. But then he coached up guys like Anthony Hitchins to getting big free agency deals.
Speaker 1: Right being effective at what they were doing.
Speaker 7: So this is the type of coach that Meris is is combining his ability with and the ability is through the roof because even coming out of Notre Dame, what was one of the biggest positives for him, It was football acumen. It was his ability to rediagnose and absorb entire playbooks. And it's showing now because the game is slowing down for Merit and it looks like on several fronts during you know, a rep here or there, that he knows to play before the offense knows the play because he's there at the spot by the time the ball carry gets to the spot, whether it be a handoff of it be an outlet passed to the you know, left or right of center.
Speaker 1: So merist Is is poised, especially with.
Speaker 7: The absence of overshown for a large chunk of the season, maybe half the season. I don't know the way he was running yesterday. We'll we'll, we'll see. But a lot is going to be put upon Marris a foul. A lot was put upon him last year. And what did he do? He stepped up like Tommy sat and became the green dot behind Eric Hendrick go when Eric Kendricks went down. Sambourne is coming in with a particular role, is coming in with a particular set of skills.
Speaker 1: I like it, Liam Neeson.
Speaker 7: But really, going forward, the future of the Cowboys linebacker Corps has two names written all over it to Marrion Overshawn and I think Marist is gonna show as early as this season.
Speaker 1: Why that is, I.
Speaker 9: Think the entire I saw the entire Cowboys training staff collectively faint when.
Speaker 7: He claimed it was only seventy percent when I when I dropped the clip on Twitter and thanks for pointing it out to me telling me he responded, he said it was just seventy percent. And then kind of funny off the off the cove, Josh and I last night, we're getting ready to go and see Fantastic four and then who walks up to us with the biggest smile on his face? To Marvey on Overshow, and I said, Demo, was that really seventy percent? And he was like, oh, it probably was less. Yes, please, he's blazing out there.
Speaker 9: Yes, please take it easy, man.
Speaker 8: That's take it easy, buddy.
Speaker 6: That took him an entire segment. So when we come back, we're going to get to our offensive standout of camp so far week one, when we come back, talking Cowboys and Dallas Cowboys dot com.
Speaker 13: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, cator utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official Lagonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Agonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 14: As America's leading business lender, Bank of America is on your corner and in your corner, with over nine billion dollars in business loans and more than one hundred and forty business specialists right here in North Texas. We help businesses thrive, so communities prosper. What would you like the power to do? Learn more at Bankofamerica dot com, slash Local Business. Bank of America Official Bank of FIFA Club World Cup twenty twenty five Copyright twenty twenty five. Bank of America Corporation alreays reserved at and.
Speaker 10: T has a new guarantee because Most things in life are not guaranteed, like getting through self checkout by yourself warning.
Speaker 11: Each item must be placed in the bagging area.
Speaker 10: Not guarantee.
Speaker 11: Place item in the bagging area. Place item in the bagging area.
Speaker 1: You know what.
Speaker 10: AT and T guarantees connectivity. You depend on deals you want, in service you deserve, or make it right terms and conditions. Supply is a att dot com SLAST guarantee for details. AT and T connecting changes everything.
Speaker 3: If you're looking for fresh American roasted coffee that gives back, you need to head to your local grocery store and pick up a bag of Black Rifle Coffee. That's right, America's coffee is now available in the coffee aisle of a grocery store near you. Black Rifle Coffee Company is veteran founded with a mission to give back to those brave men and women who have served our nation. Every bag box or can you purchase help support that mission. Head to your local grocery store and roast yourself some Black Rifle coffee. Today to Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 6: Welcome back to Talking Cowboys, live from training camp in Oxnard, California, presented by American Airlines. The twenty twenty five Fan of the Year is presented by Captain Morgan.
Speaker 7: Do you guys know that I did not know, but thank you for bringing them, Captain Morgan, because don't mind if do later this.
Speaker 8: Yea, I was gonna say, being Patrick together.
Speaker 7: Don't mind if I do leg up and everything. Yeah, my leg up and everything like Beamer is doing right now. We shot to see Beamer. He was doing the Captain Morgan in the front.
Speaker 8: That's the bam Captain Bamer.
Speaker 6: All right, boys, it's our last segment of talking cowboys here in the first week of training camp. When you will be back next week. We'll be back next week on Monday, Wednesday and Friday with Kyle Yeomans. Wait right, yeah, biambers looking at me all strange.
Speaker 1: Tuesday, Thursday, Tuesday, Thursday.
Speaker 6: Today is Friday, the rotation. We'll be back next week Kyle. All right, he'll do this better than I will. That's fine. I think he'll be good.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, don't you're cooking?
Speaker 9: Oh god, I'm happy to be here, guys, even though you guys are kicking me off the show for Kyle Yellmans, I don't know what huh.
Speaker 6: We should have times oh I'm back.
Speaker 1: It's four seats.
Speaker 8: Oh I thought it was back.
Speaker 1: No, no, No, he's.
Speaker 6: All right, Isaiah.
Speaker 1: Still we still missing love you, Isaiah.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, make your way back, make your way out here.
Speaker 6: He's all right, all right boys? Uh final segment. Yeah, let's talk about offensive standouts now. I want to before you guys get into the the hot players, the the what the playmakers, the receivers taking the low hangar fruit, the touchdown getters out there, I need a quick shout out to a certain player that I think is carrying himself like a veteran while being the first round pick of the twenty twenty five NFL season, and that is one Tyler Booker.
Speaker 1: Yes, boys, what I've.
Speaker 6: Seen from Tyler Booker so far just said it. He carries himself like a veteran. I think he's the communication that he's had so far with the offensive line, not necessarily on the line of scrimmage, but in the huddle off to the side. Its genuinely feels like he's been here before. He's acting like he's been there before. And it's something that I think is going to impact a player like Tyler Goydon, who came in last year saying all the right things, but I think kind of halfway through lost his confidence a bit, just kind of get the mental game around it all. So far, granted, first week, Tyler Booker seems to have that confidence in spades, and I think a player like Tyler Gotton is going to feed off of that. And as long as the communication is there and as long as they're clanging and banging on the offensive line, you're going to continue to see confidence grow across the line and become whole. I'm really excited about it. What can you guys tell me about Tyler Booker so far?
Speaker 7: So far, he looks looks the part. I mean obviously physically looks the part. Like you said, He's carrying himself both on and off the field like a professional. He's he's holding up well against you know, guys like Solomon Thomas for example.
Speaker 1: And by the way, Solomon Thomas looks pretty damn good out there.
Speaker 7: There's a couple of plays where Tyler Smith handled him, because Tyler Smith is Tyler Smith.
Speaker 1: But there a couple of players.
Speaker 6: With twins, Solomon Thomas, a.
Speaker 1: Couple of twins.
Speaker 7: I see the resemblance exactly, mostly in the chiseled form. That's really where it boils down.
Speaker 6: I'm wearing a long sleep. You don't see these biceps.
Speaker 7: That's because you're trying to get them to focus on what we're saying and not detract from And I respect and I appreciate that. Let's share the camera with Tommy and I the podcast.
Speaker 9: There's a limit and these nice shirts from the old star Burst right here, A hold star Burst.
Speaker 7: But Tyler Booker, like you said, he's he's doing everything right. It is early in camp. I can't say that he's as a rookie standing out as as Raku is. But that's not a knock to Tyler Booker. That's simply more and more credit to Ezraku. And of course these are different positions as well, so you have to assess a defense on the offensive lineman differently than you assess an edge rusher. But I like what I'm saying from Tyler Booker. He's I will say this, he's not getting pushed around. He's not getting pushed around.
Speaker 8: Well, he's doing the pushing around.
Speaker 9: I think yesterday was the day where I I I saw the best rep we've seen from Tyler Booker. I mean, he he took Mazzie Smith and just completely moved came out of the way, and Cooper BB went up to the next level, took the linebacker route and Javonte Williams probably had the most running room in front of him that he has had since college. I mean, it was just the sea parted, and it was all because of what Booker did to Massie. And I'm not saying Mazzie Smith is you know, that's a whole different and he lost that rep. It's one rep.
Speaker 8: You know, he still needs to take the next step.
Speaker 9: But man, that was the play where you know, afterwards you see the how just how giant the hole was for the running back to run through, and you go back and say.
Speaker 8: Well, how did that happen?
Speaker 9: Tyler Booker, I mean just completely threw him out of the club and that was the best rep we've seen. But he's a road grader, right, That's what he was at Alabama. This is a guy who is going to pave the way. He moves really well. When you see him run onto the field, you know he's not the most athletic guy.
Speaker 8: It's not a problem.
Speaker 9: He is plenty athletic For a guy as size, you don't need a Gazelle playing right guard for him. He's a strong dude, and you saw it on that play because Mosei.
Speaker 8: Smith's not weak either. Like he's a strong guy and he's known for his strength. But that Rep Man Booker just tell it was unbelievable. And you know that's both.
Speaker 6: Sides of the ball. But I think we need to address the defensive side our next show.
Speaker 8: Right, Uh, did.
Speaker 7: You have any Yeah, I want to using what you said as a segue about Tyler Booker and thanks for the lau, I'm going to.
Speaker 1: Go to Tyler Goyton.
Speaker 7: There's some easily low hanging fruit that's justified. If I wanted to say George Pickens, for example, if I wanted to say Ceedee Lamb, I could say those two things and be.
Speaker 1: Very well justified in doing so.
Speaker 7: But I want to give credit to a young man who is taking strides that are much needed at Dak Prescott's blind side to hopefully keep that Prescott clean upright healthy.
Speaker 1: Is Tyler Goyton. What I'm seeing from Tyler Guyton in the offse is in the first.
Speaker 7: Two practices at least it's beginning to translate over onto the field. We already knew that Tyler Goyton had exceptional footwork, particularly stemming from his days as a basketball player.
Speaker 1: His footwork is just fairly exceptional.
Speaker 7: It was his hand work, it was some of his strength, it was his ability to move his mask right. There was a little bit too much unnecessary mass on his frame last year.
Speaker 1: So what does he do? He changes his diet.
Speaker 7: Completely cuts out fried foods, goes mostly protein. I mean, we see the guy working out in the rain doing boxing drills. He's working on his hands, that work that he's put in two hand placement, strength, ability to punch, ability to strike. He's doing a lot of work with none other than Tyron Smith. Okay, this offseason trying to figure out how to get some of those techniques and translate them, and you're seeing it.
Speaker 1: Does he win every rep?
Speaker 7: No, But I've seen him win multiple reps against Dante Fowler. Then we just say Dante was coming in hot, and yet Dante's not winning every rep against Tyler Gotton. I've seen him get Stonewall a couple of times by gutting. There was another one. Marshaw Kneeland just yes, Marshawn gave guy in a fantastic dip bend, but getting used that against him because guyton knew that it was an outside run and so all he did was used it to seal him off completely. And that was the play. I believe that Deuce Vaughan basically just took off run.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 7: So when you start to see Tyler got and take these strides and his confidence is definitely there, the motivation is there.
Speaker 1: I'm going to give the young man his due.
Speaker 7: We'll see ultimately if he can continue to stack good days. But thus far, he's stacking some really good days.
Speaker 6: The technique for Tyler Gouden has improved on a huge level, just seeing the way that he's like stoic as the defensive end is bending around him and then he's able to keep his back straight. They talked about it yesterday on the break very impressively. Check that out on Dallas Cowboys dot com Third Greek podcast under Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 7: But really quickly before you throw to Tommy, because we love our we love our commentest we do. I gotta say this call out says Tyler got and got destroyed yesterday. If you're talking about that rep from Ezra, anybody would have gotten destroyed.
Speaker 1: Did you see the get off.
Speaker 7: The getoff was so good it looked like it was off sides, but it wasn't off sides.
Speaker 1: Bottom line. Also, everyone's not.
Speaker 7: Going to win every rep, of course, So Tyler gotton lost that rep, just like Mazzie lost that rip when he got walked out of the club by Tyler Booker.
Speaker 1: It happens.
Speaker 7: So I agree with you he got smoked on that particular rep. But I'm telling you, as those of us are out here that are clocking his reps, he's winning far more often than he's losing.
Speaker 6: Call out, don't try and calls out, don't.
Speaker 1: Do it, no matter.
Speaker 7: Just to clarify, I appreciate the comment, but let me let me add context to that.
Speaker 9: Fair enough, fair enough, Yeah, offensive stand out for me is Jonathan Mingo.
Speaker 8: I thought he's had.
Speaker 9: I thought he's stacked up in some pretty good days here so far. You know, this is a guy who, you know, he's taking some first team reps, some second team rep. So I think it's good that he gets, you know, a little bit of connection with Joe Milton and Dak Prescott. You know, this is a guy who I think could really play himself into that wide receiver four wide receiver five range. I think, you know, when you look at behind George Pickens and Ceedee Lamb, you've got Cavante Turpin, Jonathan Mingo, and Jalen Tolbert as kind of the three names to watch there. You know, is unless you know a guy like Jalen Brooks or Ryan Flinoy starts to make a runner Jalen Cropper.
Speaker 8: So but Mingo.
Speaker 9: The last couple of days, you know, we've kind of joked about how man, if Mingo could have gotten a good pass last year, maybe he's maybe he gets a little bit better. I feel like every time they threw in the ball, it is like, man, people rush just threw it off the back of the defender's helmet, Like, how's this guy supposed to have a chance. So you're seeing some of the reasons why the Cowboys felt that Jonathan Mingo was good enough to trade a fourth round pick for.
Speaker 8: And obviously, the last time they.
Speaker 9: Traded a fourth round pick for a player before Mingo, it didn't work out the way they wanted it to. So is this a guy who can find his role on this team and maybe tap into some of the potential that we saw coming out of old miss because there was a lot of it.
Speaker 8: This guy's second round pick.
Speaker 9: He looked really good on film in college, and you saw some of the flashes and now you're starting to see some of them again.
Speaker 8: I think you know this is the one that threw.
Speaker 9: I think he and Joe Milton have really connected a couple of times to where you say, Okay, he's having he's having a solid camp. There was one throw where Milton kind of put it maybe a yard or two past him and he dove out just couldn't get there.
Speaker 8: I was I think it was more on Milton than it was on him.
Speaker 9: But Jonathan Mingo has been making more plays than not, and I think it's it's a promising start. And now we just see Canny start mixing in with the first team, and Canny start connecting with Dak Prescott and building that trust with Dak Prescott a little bit more to where they trust him to go with that unit too and make plays.
Speaker 6: It's interesting that I feel like we all picked really solid, obviously offensive standouts. There's one that I was just staying away from personally. I don't know if you guys got this, and like you also didn't want to choose the one that everyone else is gonna choose, so none of us choose him.
Speaker 1: George Pickens, that was the low hanging. It was a five fruit that I didn't want to pick.
Speaker 6: I didn't want to pick him either because because it's so easy to It's goodness, it's so easy. It's so fun watching him out here. The chemistry that alluded to it earlier. We just have a few minutes. Guys, what is it like seeing a wide receiver that can not only complement CD but is almost just as dangerous as CD lamb with the starting offense.
Speaker 7: Well, first of all, go dogs, let's let's start there, okay, right, So the fact that you know he's a product smart is no surprise to me.
Speaker 1: It's no surprise. It's sour product. He's a product of.
Speaker 7: The National Championship program out of Athens.
Speaker 1: So seeing him right now, so see.
Speaker 7: So seeing him translate. I even got the red and black on in honor of George Pickens. So seeing him translate that into onto the NFL field for the Dallas Cowboys in tandem with a cold setting all pro n cdee lamb. I called him the Terror Twins for a reason, and it's because I don't see how you can defend both of them when.
Speaker 1: It's so difficult to defend one of them.
Speaker 7: And then, by the way, there are other weapons that are going to step up, like Jake Ferguson is looking to have. Okay, you can relax, Texas, we're back, We're back to talking.
Speaker 8: I talked about Texas a lot. My goodness, you do you do?
Speaker 1: But hey, you know your your school is your school.
Speaker 6: No players are from the art institu seriously, man, or else I'd be talking about them seriously though.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 7: George Pickens, like we talked about at the top of the episodes, having the time of his life. He makes every catch look easy, even in the drills when he did the same round and he just caught it with one hand and just left it in that. This is that come on, come on guy, And that's what the Cowboys are getting with George Pickens. It's going to be a sight to behold.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Yeah, Pickens gives you an extra dimension. And I don't think we've really seen what George Pickens is best at yet.
Speaker 8: Because he's the go up and get it guy.
Speaker 9: And I mean this part of training camp, they're not really throwing a lot of go up and get it passes.
Speaker 6: So well, yes, it was a go down and get it. Yeah, it was at.
Speaker 9: His feet and Dak Prescott is putting it on the right spot on a quick outright. I think George Pickens is a lot better after the catch than we're giving him credit for it.
Speaker 8: I'm not saying he got I don't know if I'd.
Speaker 9: Go as far to say turbo boosters, but he's not saying he's turpid.
Speaker 1: He's not.
Speaker 9: He's not the fastest guy on the field, but he is more than advocate after the catch. And I think that, you know, if he can continue to build on that aspect of his game and and do that just because I mean, he's a freak show athlete, so you know he add that component into it.
Speaker 8: And you know, Dak Prescott's gonna have a lot of fun this year.
Speaker 9: I think with those two and I talked about it on the website when we did our twenty Questions series. You know, in terms of who makes the first their first Pro Bowl this year, I think it's George Pickens. I think he's gonna have that good of a year and the Cowboys offense to where he can go to Hawaii or wherever they're having that thing.
Speaker 7: Now, I agree, and keep in mind, George Pickens is now being moved around a lot more than he's ever been in his career.
Speaker 1: So you're gonna see him at multiple spots.
Speaker 7: You're gonna see him line up opposite ceed Lamb, You're gonna see him going motion to be on the same side of CD and vice versa. They're moving him around. They're gonna get him over the top for go and get it balls. But he's gonna work underneath as well with these quick slants and these quick hitters to get him in position to do yards after the catch against some of these slower linebackers. So George Pickens, I agree this this is setting up to be a Pro Bowl season for him.
Speaker 6: It's nice having options once. I mean, seriously, I'm sure Dak is gonna have it.
Speaker 1: You know how long it's been.
Speaker 9: I can't wait until finally Georgia at some point never gonna let him.
Speaker 6: Gotta go, We gotta go, all right, boys, thank you so much for tuning in. We appreciate you. That'll do it for this edition of Talking Cowboys from Oxnard, California. So long, Talking Cowboys on Dallas Cowboys dot com.
Speaker 2: This has been a production of dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.