Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this episode of Ella trend Hof.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Oh, she's trending, folks, she's trending.
Speaker 3: We got m hop here, we got m Hoff see.
Speaker 1: The haw from now on. That's who I'm referring to when I say the Hof. My name is Jack, that is Miles Gray.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah, and uh. These are some of the things that are trending.
Speaker 2: They are they are.
Speaker 1: Indeed, these are some of the things that may or may or may not be a trending. Trump just gave like another kind of sleepy speech where everyone's like, we're Fox News has to cut away and be like, well, there you have it, folks, another rebuke, another powerful rebuke. But we'll get more into his sleepiness tomorrow.
Speaker 5: It's just that, I mean, I will just play this one because he said, you can't even walk down a sidewalk no more anymore, just to give you a flavor because now he's speaking behind full on plate glass, like bulletproof glass. Now yeah, because obviously he's feel.
Speaker 3: And it's crime written and it's I mean, you can't walk down the sidewalk any war any It's just unbelievable. What I can't sign sidewalk anymore.
Speaker 1: Will will not correct himself because it's too shows too much weakness.
Speaker 5: Imagine the sidewalk anymore.
Speaker 3: Pick a war, any war, any war?
Speaker 1: What So that's the energy coming out of his side. The d n C was pretty god uh pretty turned up last night. Looked like people were having a fun time at the d n C. I think the role call somehow ended up stealing the show. I mean the Obamas, I guess stole the show. But the roll call was a whole new genre.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: Each time it's like we're from the Great Commonwealth of you know, Pennsylvany, know whatever.
Speaker 1: Is like the normal call guy on stage saying and what say ye west Virginia. And then like some old person stands up and is like West Virginia the home of mountains and rivers, you know, and just like said reads a prepared remark that ends with give our votes to Kamala Harris.
Speaker 5: This is when they so like California. They were playing California Love.
Speaker 1: They're playing there is a DJ on stage with the guy who was shouting out the various states.
Speaker 6: When they get to Georgia, this is this is what they hit when they get to Georgia.
Speaker 4: Going absolutely insane DNC it turned.
Speaker 5: Out for what and and also like not to add just like the coordination between that venue and then uh so for what's five Serve in Wisconsin where she was doing the rally portion like with Tim Walls, it was fucking the production was wild.
Speaker 1: He also dared through the windows to the walls, which you know you pick up on that meme.
Speaker 4: So the the mean game is on point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, they know they're out here, they're out here, but like, yeah, it was definitely uh, I mean the comparison and energy is.
Speaker 4: Yes, starting linked.
Speaker 1: Somebody was like, by the way, for context, here is what the Republican National Convention role call went like, And it was, Yeah, it was what we were just talking about. It was like from the Great State of Tennessee. Tennessee a home of volunteers, smoky mountains, and a record number of rest stops where you don't feel safe going inside, Like what because you don't.
Speaker 3: Know the person should be using a urinal or a toilet stall?
Speaker 4: What shut up that? It was fun.
Speaker 1: Doug M Hoff spoke, Ye, seems to you know, get raves.
Speaker 4: From the people. I would expect him to get rid.
Speaker 2: I think. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean like Bernie spoke too, which felt a little odd because like, you know, Bernie is from the much more progressive side of the party. But then also like extolling the virtues of Biden. I mean, I get it, you're.
Speaker 2: At the d n C.
Speaker 3: You're not gonna be there taking a ship on the fucking administration. But it just was like odd. But then he'd call it for a ceasefire.
Speaker 5: Uh, and you know, did did said the things that Bernie Sanders does. But yeah, uh, the whole vibe there was it only got up and up and up because once the Obama spoke, like there were people who were like melting in the arena, Like whether it was like Michelle's speech or Barack Obama's.
Speaker 4: This was incredible.
Speaker 1: Barack Obama made a dick joke about Donald Trump and people were like, oh my god, can he do that?
Speaker 2: I think?
Speaker 5: And then Trump today was like he's making personalistic guy's making personal attacks and you're like, about.
Speaker 2: What what do you mean?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, like your penis? What are we talking about? What did you think he was saying?
Speaker 5: Because he was talking about crowd sizes, but they're doing the penis hand size gesture.
Speaker 2: But yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think the one thing that's just been kind of surreal, like watching all of these speeches and you know, like hearing talking about like and.
Speaker 3: Donald Trump, who doesn't respect the rule of law.
Speaker 5: Like again, like international courts have declared like there is an illegal occupation that we have a hand in right now. But I guess, but again that's a court that the United States will never acknowledge because they sometimes call out the United States on things and they're like, fuck you, We're gonna fucking make life hell for everybody that works for you. And then the party platform did come out, the Official Democratic Party Platform, and it's like the twenty twenty platform was talking about like stopping endless wars and things like that, and this this year's version was not. That was not the tone at all, Like it was not it was it felt like we're going backwards.
Speaker 2: And there was just you.
Speaker 5: Know, even like the talk of like what's happening in Gaza, it was very like just surface level, no talk of like any kind of leverage being able to be used to you know, stop the genocide. And I think just like it just feels very dystopian because like we clearly are seeing what is happening and what is happening at the hands of the United States government and as they assist the Israeli government just cause untold terror and pain and death. But then like you look at the DNC and it's like no, no, no, like it's just.
Speaker 3: A party, y'all. Like there's nothing to see here. It's all good.
Speaker 5: We're like we're we completely got everything sorted out, And it makes me really worried about like the future like this right now, like we are clearly failing an exercise and being able to like, well, at least we're we're succeeding in an exercise to completely like sort of in terms of like the mainstream of what American media looks like is just completely ignore preventable mass death. And it's like, yeah, all that shit you're seeing maybe not, I don't know, like don't don't listen to all these doctors who just returned from Gaza and are talking about like how awful.
Speaker 3: Everything they're seeing is over there.
Speaker 5: But then it's like what happens as the climate crisis worsens and we have real like mass movements of people who are looking for like a place to survive, to live, so they do not perish, and this.
Speaker 1: Feels like humanity just gets written out of the story.
Speaker 5: This feels like this like a really good warm up societally to begin like whatever this next awful phase is of like planetary death that we are not addressing properly, like just being like, well, we can just kind of roll our eyes back and ignore it. And that is very worrying because you know, being able to just like selectively declare people human or not in our minds.
Speaker 2: I don't think that leads to a good place.
Speaker 3: But anyway, all that to say, everything else very.
Speaker 4: Fun, okay, fun energy, very.
Speaker 3: Fun, very little John.
Speaker 5: And then also like Ella m Hoff has been another person who's come, like, you know, gotten a lot of attention, Doug m Hoff's daughter, the stepdaughter of Kamala Harris, and the right has become so obsessed with her because she's not like some cardboard cutout of like a Midwestern mom from the nineteen sixties.
Speaker 2: Like she's like she's.
Speaker 5: Got like armpit hair, and like this is like this is why we have a demographic crisis. And again they've just found another person to like transvestigate, even though she's like never implied anything other than like identifying as a woman, and she's also a model too, But anyway, it's a lot of a lot of weird energy flying around.
Speaker 1: Another person to make the people on the right feel very weird and not know what to do with those feelings and just convert them into rage and outrage and oh my god, this is everybody's worst nightmare. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think that's just you.
Speaker 2: I think that's just you, truly, truly.
Speaker 1: All right, this is probably going to be a big story, and hopefully it's not swinging the election, but it I don't know, it's it's not good. Our FK is playing to drop out, and as we feared, it seems like he's going to go ahead and endorse Trump because Trump has offered to, you know, give him a position in his cabinet, which you know he does. He has been consistent, like he's not pulling enough to like be a major spoiler in the election, but he is pulling it like five consistently, and so that five percent goes to Trump.
Speaker 4: That's that's bad, right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, I mean it sounds like that.
Speaker 5: I mean it's like, because so many people are skewing Trump that are RFK supporters, that definitely helps more than hurts. But I guess like when you look at like what the margins are, it's yeah, it could it could mean a lot.
Speaker 2: Or it could mean a little.
Speaker 5: Uh, And that's to be determined, I think, especially if there are people who are just sort of turned off by the fact that he just like completely went all in for Trump. But you know, his running mate Nicole Shanahan has basically been like doing all kinds of press recently. She like first off like denied that RFK reached out to the Harris campaign to ask for a position, So basically brainworms mcdog eater has been reaching out to the various campaigns, first the Kamala Harris campaign, saying like, look, man, I'm gonna give you an offer you can easily refuse. What if I drop out and endorse you in exchange for a cabinet position so I can be Secretary of Health and Human Services?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 5: Yeah, So they predictably were like, please be.
Speaker 2: For real and never call it.
Speaker 1: It's not really on our list except for our list of like the very last people that we put in that position, right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And because RFK is such a principled freedom fighter, he's just immediately just pivoted to Trump, and I was like, all right, here's the exact same offer. What if I drop out, endorse you, and I get a cabinet position. Trump has already said he's like, he's like, you know, I'm very open to respect to RFK a lot. So there's clearly something happening. I think even when we've heard that leaked.
Speaker 1: Video or that leaked video of their call it was talking about last week. Yeah, that that was what that whole call was about, was Trump being like, when do you drop out? I'd love to have you be part of the MAGA world baby.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I think this just all confirms the suspicions many people have had about this campaign. Like first it like was like, oh, this is supposed to be a spoiler for.
Speaker 5: The Biden campaign, but that is that ended up just actually taking votes from Trump. So then he's like, oh, well, now those GOP mega downers who have contributed so much to RFCRE, like whyne' he just you know, like, we're not gonna give you any more money, just just close up shop and money just aligned with Trump.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think a lot of his appeal is probably like people, you know, anti vactors who might lean Trump. But you know, when we were talking about the New Yorker profile about you know, him hiding that bear in Central Park, that article opens with like the zogby the guy behind zogbee pulling, being like, I was shocked by how popular this guy still is. And it's like just really off the strength of his name, and that name is so closely associated with the Democratic Party that it feels unlikely to me that all five percent are just going to be like, well now he said, dude, Trump, so we're going to do Trump. It is worrying, but it would be really wild if every you know, everybody who was behind him because he's a Kennedy then goes and just switches over to Trump. Like I also think this is going to be mean all at war from the Kennedy family, Like up to this point, they've been critical of him, but I think somewhat polite in their criticism. And now that he's going to be openly endorsing Donald Trump, like, I feel like it's going to be pretty you know on site, Yea or.
Speaker 5: His niece can write a nice article about him in the New York Times Where'd that darn bear come from? But the other thing that's also kind of funny is like his running mate Nicole Shanahan, Like she was picked pretty much because she had deep pockets, yeah, and like.
Speaker 3: Would help RFK get on more ballots.
Speaker 5: But now it's like almost just feels like she's just like pissed away millions of dollars just for RFK to try and be part.
Speaker 2: Of the Trump administration.
Speaker 5: Like what did you Okay, I don't know, maybe maybe you didn't have to spend too much of real money, but yeah, it's all the opportunities abound for these Yeah, so.
Speaker 1: I'm hoping like there's you know, we've talked to people who are like, yeah, in silver Lake, you will see RFK like stickers, people who are like openly we'll openly be talking about RFK. Like I'm assuming those people aren't gonna switch to Trump, right, Like that feels.
Speaker 3: Now, I think.
Speaker 5: I mean, I've heard RFK people are basically being like, I know, saying Trump is bad, but I could never say I'm voting for Biden for Harris.
Speaker 2: So RFK gives me.
Speaker 5: It's like, you know, like when you have like libertarians who are clearly like in it for Trump, they just know they're like smart enough to be like, I'm not gonna say I'm fucking Trump right right, I'm in this other space where I can have plausible deniability.
Speaker 2: But yeah, we will see.
Speaker 4: All right, let's take a quick break. We'll be right back, and we're back.
Speaker 1: We're back, and Starbucks is bringing back their puppet spice bullshit earlier than ever. In fact, it is out now as of August twenty four away, which is two days earlier than last year. So run, don't walk to your local Starbucks. And when you get there and you're all hot and sweaty from running through the eighty eight degree heat, slurp down a hot, thick slug of syrupy pumpkin flavored sludge.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's emmy hitch. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think I think it was probably bad news when every time we're.
Speaker 3: Like, why are they pushing it up every year?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it just like keeps moving forward.
Speaker 5: There must have been a moment where it was hitting peak numbers, so they're like, okay, we can move it up a little bit, and then they probably saw it climb and they're like, fuck it.
Speaker 2: Dude, set it up further further. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: And I think that's where we're at because I don't. It doesn't seem like it's as opular.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it's not. So.
Speaker 1: One of the other things that might be driving the move, just pushing further further into further and further into the summer, is that everyone else has their pumpkin spice off brings. Krispy Kreme has already been selling pumpkin spice lattes this year. Tim Hortons in Canada rolled out pumpkin spice flavors on the twenty first, same day as Starbucks. But a recent survey, as you were mentioning, indicates that people are probably sick of pumpkin spice. A survey down that fifty eight percent of US adults believe that there are better unsung heroes during the fall season.
Speaker 2: Is the quote, which is a weird sific question.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like, what did you come up with that?
Speaker 3: Do you agree or disagree with this statement? There are other unsung heroes during the fall season that we may be able to experiment within a flavor basis.
Speaker 1: So are tired of the basic pumpkin spice flavors? It feels like they're like tilting this a little bit, like are.
Speaker 4: You tired of that? Like basic ass pumpkin spice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll ldty viby version of a pumpkin spice right.
Speaker 1: Oh Weirdly, their top alternative flavor was cinnamon, which that's so much of pumpkin spice, Like pumpkin spice is basically cinnamon.
Speaker 2: But no nutmeg. Nutmeg.
Speaker 4: I'll get that nutmeg out of here.
Speaker 1: I feel like they could use some Michael Keaton beetlejuice logic, Like, as we talked about yesterday, Michael Keaton was like, one of my uh, you know, specifications for one of my conditions for coming back was that, like, beetlejuice is not just everywhere in the second film, because he wasn't everywhere in the first one. I know your instinct is gonna be like, what if more beetlejuice? And he was like, we can't do that. That's not that is not the equation that made the first beetle Juice work. I think they need that same thing, like a less is more, move it back, give the people less pumpkin spice. As we've covered, you can always make up a shortage exactly. The mainstream media loves a shortage. Could you imagine a story about a pumpkin spice shortage, Miles they would.
Speaker 5: It's like it'd be like the McRib, you know, it's gone away and the back dude, it's back, Like actually, we're.
Speaker 1: We're actually there's a national McRib shortage, so it's calling back for a very limited time.
Speaker 5: But like you know, to your point, too much of a good thing or a thing you like is a bad thing. And if it's available all the fucking time, you're gonna get sick of it. And as someone who doesn't drink pumpkin spice, whatever I get, like I know with other things, like I'm I have the kind of personality if there's like a thing I like, I will fucking I will go after that shit over and over and over again until I'm.
Speaker 2: Like sick of it.
Speaker 5: So when seasonal things come out, because they're seasonal, I appreciate them more.
Speaker 1: But anyway, yeah, you can have the joy of pumpkin spices, like memories we have of drinking it on a crisp day can if you're gonna just like jam it deeper and deeper into the summer, you're replacing those memories with people either like having an experience of like drinking it at a time when they're like, oh, this doesn't like I would rather be drinking gatorade and like slurping on a rocket pop right now. You know, Like that's just not it's you're you're harming like that. This is just like bad business. And also yeah, like I just feel like it would be such an easy layup.
Speaker 3: I love like stuffing on a Thanksgiving plate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: And well, now you can have it at fourth of July.
Speaker 5: If I had every fucking year or all year, I'd be like, yeah, dude, I'm fucking sick of it.
Speaker 3: I like it because like the anticipation builds up because I'm not even I'm not eating a roast turkey fucking all the.
Speaker 5: Time either, right, but when you do, you're like, yes, and I get that that's one day or whatever, but it's the same logic like if I'm presented with that all the fucking time.
Speaker 2: Whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we actually give out stuffing for trigger treaders at our house, and oh, you have a very watermelon salad at Fourth of July that is mostly stuffing.
Speaker 4: It's watermelon bill.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you just fill a watermelon rind with a bunch of stuffing and you're like, oh, let's slice. Oh, look at these stuffing slices.
Speaker 4: It's coming out nice, all right.
Speaker 1: Those are some of the things that are trending on this when day, August twenty one. We are back tomorrow with the whole last episode of the show. Until then, be kind to each other, be kind to yourself, get the vaccine, don't do nothing about white supremacy, and we will talk to yell tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Bye bye,