Speaker 1: Welcome to Desperately Devoted.
Speaker 2: Join us as we explore the human experience through the lens of the iconic show Desperate Comeswise.
Speaker 3: I'm Terry Hatcher, I'm Andrea Lewen.
Speaker 4: And I'm Emerson Tanny Hie. You guys, Hey, I am so glad we're back here. If you cannot wait until next Tuesday, we've been doing these little bonus episodes on Thursday because.
Speaker 1: We can't wait.
Speaker 5: I can't wait, I says, I can't wait a week to see the two of you. So, yes, I'm glad we're doing our Thursday episodes.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to Desperately Devoted. Yes, and I'm so I know.
Speaker 4: We had a moment that really stood out from episode ten come back to Me, and it was when Susan was lighting candballs in her attempt which of course gets thwarted by Zach but to seduce Mike, and she puts on an al green song. Anyone know it is?
Speaker 1: Oh man, take me.
Speaker 5: You know, let's just spend the whole ten minutes with Andreas singing this song.
Speaker 3: How about that? I was okay.
Speaker 5: I don't know how many verses we get away with before we get sued.
Speaker 2: I'm not or how many verses can a super pregnant woman get through without passing out?
Speaker 1: Because is not the same.
Speaker 4: We can find out. I thought it was interesting that come and take Me and come back to Me, come back to Me as the name of the title of the episode, come and Take Me as the Algreen song.
Speaker 3: I don't know if anyone thought about that.
Speaker 4: It's a very sexy song, and I know that we were talking about after we finished recording that music and making playlists, playlists to set the mood, whether that's romantically or for a work experience. I know for me, I am a huge playlist maker for literally any professional or emotional experience I am going through in my life. So we had more to say on this, and I'm.
Speaker 3: Am excited to talk about it.
Speaker 5: First of all, just within the scene itself, I just like, that's me at.
Speaker 3: My best, that is you know.
Speaker 5: I've often talked about how I approach comedy from the point of view of choreography, and I think that comes from the dance background that I have, so getting to actually combine literally the music, the dance sort of movement, and the comedy all in one, like that's that's that's my that's my.
Speaker 3: Day at the beach. I mean that that really are.
Speaker 4: You're singing in that in that scene when you with your little hair around, And.
Speaker 2: Then you remember, were you actually playing the music? I mean, obviously they for sound, I'm sure they put it in afterwards, but for you when you were acting out the scene, were you playing the music for yourself?
Speaker 5: I think what we did and I can't say that I remember this, but I remember this as it applies to different times in my career.
Speaker 3: That usually the way you approach.
Speaker 5: A scene like this with music is that you'll play the music many times to sort of figure out what the choreography in the movement is. And even with the extra in a scene like if there's a bar scene, they'll play the music. So they'll roll the camera say action, play the music, and they and so the bar, all the extras are on the rhythm of the music, and then they cut the music out and it's up to you to keep that rhythm in your head and then the actors can start saying their dialogue. So that's kind of how it works when music is a part of a scene like in a bar or something. I mean, when it's important, when it's when their people are dancing a specific way. I had to do that once in a Hallmark Christmas movie anyway, or maybe it wasn't.
Speaker 3: A Christmas movie.
Speaker 5: Maybe it was just a regular Hallmark movie anyway. So I imagine that's what we did here. But I just think, first of all, I can't believe they got the rights to this. It's such a sexy song. This is definitely a song that I would.
Speaker 3: Have sex to. I was gonna say I ever had sex.
Speaker 4: What are your I feel like there are so many different sexy songs. Do you have any like right now currently in your life? Songs that you feel like are sort of like like this is kind of like I'm in a vibe because I can go first, here are a couple of songs I know you're gonna like really get to peek into the vast that I know, fucking weirdo.
Speaker 3: Okay, blood Bank by Bony Ver.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 4: The very sexy song Win Tree. Sexy song I have to put like all time. I think sexy song is Van Morrison's Crazy Love.
Speaker 1: How does that go?
Speaker 3: Can you sing that?
Speaker 4: Little?
Speaker 3: Well? I'm not a singer.
Speaker 4: It's like, but just like give me love.
Speaker 3: Right, crazy?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: No, you don't it's just enough. It's like happy uh, and that's all just the right amount.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 4: I think. Also another song that is like a new song that i've if you're kind of if you're into a more like ambient indie sexy background, may I recommend RoadHead by Japanese Breakfast.
Speaker 2: You can even mince words at all there.
Speaker 5: So I'm remembering this from from actually from my teenage years.
Speaker 3: Not in a good way.
Speaker 4: No one's having good sex in their teenage.
Speaker 5: Years, right, but Pink Floyd, I feel like I had a lot of songs that you would have long episodes of sex to.
Speaker 1: That's teenage stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's yeah, yeah, I mean it's very viby.
Speaker 1: It's very viby.
Speaker 5: Pink.
Speaker 3: I'm wanna add when I.
Speaker 1: Get My Hands on You by the New Basement Tapes.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, I love this song. A dear friend of mine who will remain nameless but they'll know who they are, who has been in my life in many different types of capacities and is still a very good friend of mine, is a musician who toured with Marcus Mumford and played that song with him. And I saw them play this song a lot, and it is a very sexy song.
Speaker 2: I agree also in general about playlists.
Speaker 1: I'm a huge playlist person.
Speaker 2: I recently my best friend got married, and as part of one of her wedding gifts, I had and a few of our close friends put together a gift for her where all of her bridesmaids created actual CDs burned CDs, so I compiled playlists from all of them based on their memories with her, or concerts they went to, or songs that make them think of her, and then I had to figure out how to get a CD burner. In twenty twenty five, I sat and I was burning CDs, and I just loved the experience so much because not only did it offer a peek and insight into their friendships individually with her, to see what kind of genres and artists that made them think of her, but also just sitting and being that intentional to create and curate something. It just makes you appreciate everything so much more than just like whatever streaming service is kind of.
Speaker 1: Sending your way.
Speaker 2: You being in the driver's seat of that makes the experience so much more meaningful.
Speaker 5: I do want to just say, like to our listeners that I just I want to remind people, as I'm reminding myself how important music can be in your life and to a moment and to your mood. I once had a friend who reads angel cards. Have you, guys ever had your cards read? Like your friend read my angel cards?
Speaker 3: Oh, you read your angel cards?
Speaker 1: Explain what angel cards are?
Speaker 5: Well, I guess it's sort of a version of a tarot card reading, you know, like they have a deck and certain cards come out and then they tell you certain things about yourself. And but it's supposedly supposedly your angels of like what they want. They're looking out for you. And one of my things was that I needed to listen to more music, and she was really right, and I that's the I bring this up just to say that, like, I'm a you too. I think are your playlist builders? You know you've both said like, I know Emerson builds playlists when she's writing scripts. She's if you want to go, you should go to Emerson Tenny's Spotify, and like, look at her, and Andrew, I'm assuming yours also, like look at their playlist, don't look at mine. I just but because I don't, I don't do that, Like that wasn't I didn't.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I didn't grow up with.
Speaker 5: Music in my life that way, and I think, to my detriment, I think it's really impactful. So you know, I put on. What I do is I find a song that I like, Like, there's a song I've been listening to a lot, Got to Be Real by Cheryl Lee and if.
Speaker 3: You see real, got to Be Real.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm into the kind of like seventies R and B. So if you go, you know, I want to listen to God to Be Real radio, then it just like shows you a It gives you a bunch of songs that like kind of have that vibe. So I'm just to the person unlike you two, who doesn't really have a handle on music, but I imagine probably could have their life benefited by adding more music. That's my recommendation. Another story. I just just bringing you back to like acting, and I think people might be interested in this. A long time ago, I got sent a script to read by Sean Penn like that I mean through our agents, I mean, but it was a Sean Penn. He was directing it, I think, And when they sent the script it arrived with a CD that I.
Speaker 3: Was supposed to de coded.
Speaker 4: This is so me coded.
Speaker 1: I was supposed to be so cool.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was supposed to listen to the CD while I read the script. And that was the first time. I mean, this is decades ago, so that was the first time I'd been exposed to even that idea of like, oh, but it makes so much sense to me because I use you know, I've not necessarily on Housewives, but like I recall using music like in my trailer before a scene to sort of.
Speaker 3: Set a mood in my mind.
Speaker 5: It's very impactful, like music can make you cry, you know, if I mean, I know.
Speaker 4: You said this, But speaking to the Sean Penn CD. Every script I write, as I'm working on the treatment phase or the idea phase of the script before I really break ground on writing the actual script itself, I make a playlist for the project and it's, you know, normally around it's not too long, normally it's like an hour forty five minutes, like something kind of contained, like a close seven or eight songs, and I will listen to it a lot, and then I'll start writing the project. But then sometimes if I get stuck or if I'm trying to figure out a new element.
Speaker 3: I'll put on the playlist.
Speaker 4: And sometimes at that point it's a playlist I made, you know, eight months ago, and I'll drive in my car. I love to drive from Sunset all the way downtown like bur Caesarshaves turns into Sunset, all the way to Malibu, just down Sunset and then up and I will listen to the playlist over and over again, and it really helps me watch the movie. I'm trying to come up with in my head, the way you would have a soundtrack to any movie you were watching that already existed. And I've set that to a lot of friends of mine who are trying to break ground on a project, that that can be a really helpful tool for becoming creatively unstuck.
Speaker 5: I was just gonna say, it can be incredibly helpful for you just getting the dishes done.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, yeah, it's true, yes, And that's.
Speaker 1: A mood shifter.
Speaker 2: It's an instant mood shifter, and I think it can be really useful for working. I think it can be really useful for just setting you know, the vibe of when you're having friends over. It can be really personal and how you can help your mood throughout the day shift depending on how you're fee or getting unstuck. I've definitely used playlists and artists. I've changed them based on different characters I've played. So I really love hearing how we all incorporate music into our lives. And actually, something you said, Terry made me think we should create a desperately devoted playlist that people can can find where we all contribute something to it based on.
Speaker 3: Its great idea. Okay, we have that Love's note. We will get right on that.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 4: I love that we were able to revisit more of the music in this episode, episode ten, and I'm going to be a contributor to the playlist.
Speaker 3: You're going to be top contributor. For sure.
Speaker 5: You will get some very cool music in there. I think it's sort of amazing to, you know, because Desperate Housewives use this music so beautifully throughout the show that, like Wisteria Lane, music on Desperate Housewives is a really important character. And so we'll keep we'll keep exploring that. And uh yeah, I I just I just want to remind everybody to let music elevate your life because it's there for you.
Speaker 4: And maybe you can even get some unlike my Consusan.
Speaker 2: Here's hoping that's the goal.
Speaker 5: Go out and get some Okay, thanks everybody, see you next week.