Speaker 1: When your mind feels chaotic, which usually it does for us, you need to create organization externally to feel some sort of peace and calm internally. Now, some people say I have organized chaos around me, and I think I believe it, but I also don't, because actually just organized calm is better than organized chaos. I'm Radi Wukiah and on my podcast A Really Good Cry, we embrace the messy and the beautiful, providing a space for raw, unfielded conversations that celebrate vulnerability and allow you to tune in to learn, connect and find comfort together. Hello, welcome back to this week's episode of A Really Good Cry.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for coming back here.
Speaker 1: So grateful for you all, and honestly, I have to say that this community has just become so surprisingly I don't know why. I didn't expect it to be incredible, but you guys are absolutely incredible. When I read your dms and I see the comments on that page, and some of you have come completely randomly to A Really Good Cry, not even through my page, and it's so so lovely to experience this new energy of people coming through and actually connecting on things that we just want to get better.
Speaker 2: At in life like that's such a beautiful community to build. So thank you again, so grateful for you all. And today I want to.
Speaker 1: Talk about a topic that is very near and dear to my heart because it's something that I used to be a little bit disheartened by. But I feel like I've really turned it into a bit of a superpower and found a way to really use it to my advantage. And I really wanted to share that because I know sometimes having ADHD can for really overwhelming and difficult, but actually I think that there is a beautiful silver lining in it, and if you use the right tools and techniques in your life, there is a possibility to really make it work for you, even if right now it feels like that's not possible, which is a position I was definitely in my ADHD mind. Was something that I used to think was such a disadvantage. I used to feel really behind, feel really misunderstood, feel sad that I was mislabeled as inconsistent because I really don't want to be inconsistent or people expecting me to just not finish things or be really late all the time, and noticing myself interrupting people when they're talking even though I really wanted to hear what they were saying. You know, for other people, it can show up in erratic emotions or small things feeling really big oversharing in social settings. The fact is, to really appreciate it, we kind of have to go back and understand what ADHD actually is. And so the first thing that we have to come to terms with is that our mind moves way faster than the average person, and we have this content fear of forgetting what we want to say, moving from one topic to another within one sentence, or topic hopping in conversations constantly. And it's so funny because I remember when me and Jay started dating. He would be talking about something and I would ask a question or make a comment that seemed absolutely unrelated to what he said, which would make him feel like I just wasn't listening or paying attention or didn't care.
Speaker 2: But it was that at all.
Speaker 1: It's like, if he said the word India in his sentence, by the time he's finished his sentence, my mind has gone, hmm, India. I bought this top in India. Oh God, I really need to get dry clean hmm. I wonder if he needs to get anything dry clean, then we could send our stuff together. And so my response to whatever he was saying would be, do you need to do anything dry clean today? And he would be like, wait, have you even been listening to anything I've been saying? Why would you even think of that? Have you not heard a word that's come out of my mouth? And I'm like, no, I literally heard everything, but my mind just had it differently. And so one thing's for sure, you will never have a dull conversation with someone with ADHD. It will be full and overflowing with things that are very interesting. Just may not be in a conventional way that you expected it. You might have to put the pieces together yourself. But honestly, I actually love it now and ADHD mine is spontaneous and creative, and it's filled with ideas and it thinks outside the box. So yes, we may not be inventional, but we're pretty exciting and our brain thinks a lot. I remember I actually had years ago, years ago when I didn't even honestly think I had ADHD or didn't identify with it at the time. I had my brain scanned by doctor Daniel Amen and I think about that video somewhere online. But he told me that different areas of my brain just light up at the same time, way more than if you compared it to a neurotypical brain. And that actually made me feel so understood and helped me to understand myself better. And you know what, it didn't bother me so much as I was growing up and even up till the point i'd say that I started actually doing this podcast, and it started becoming so heightened because I had to hear myself speak, and I would have guests on the podcast and so many and the feedback that I was receiving, and I would find it really hard to let someone finish their sentence, not because of selfishness or wanted to hear my own voice like some people in my comments kindly highlighted to me, but because of excitement that, oh my gosh, I can relate to this and out of impulse because I'm so excited to share what's in my mind or the thing that I've related it to in my mind. After hearing episodes back, I totally saw how disruptive it can be to conversations, and I really started to actively change that. So I did little things like I got myself a pen and a notepad to take notes while the guests was speaking. And now I'm so much better in those podcast episodes where I'm writing all the things that I have to say down so I can ask them after. But then also it's impacted my day to day life and how much better I am I having normal conversations with people, and it's something I really recommend. And obviously, when you're having conversations with thermal people, you're not going to get a pen and paper out.
Speaker 2: But something I.
Speaker 1: Really recommend is getting things out of your head by doing a brain dumb At the beginning of the day, our mind holds so.
Speaker 2: Many thoughts for someone with our.
Speaker 1: ADHD, and then when you do have it, your mind can kind of skip from place to place to place, and you can find it really difficult to focus, and so to hold everything in your head it just becomes really exhausting.
Speaker 2: But something about me is that once I am.
Speaker 1: Up, i am up, and my mind is ready to go zero to one hundred. So I've just accepted that and come to terms with the fact that doing my meditation, maybe I do need a pen and paper next to me so that I can jot down everything that's coming into my mind from the things I need to buy on my shopping list to the person that I forgot to text last week, and so having it next to me just allows all those thoughts to come out rather than just sit and swirl around in my mind. And then during the day, I usually use my notes app on my phone and I just make sure that I title them right. One of them is just pure chaos, like all the random things that I think of, and then I go back to it and try and organize it into some sort of structured notes, or I'll just delete the ones that were just thoughts that I no longer needed to keep space for mentally and physically. The second thing I really recommend, and I cannot emphasize how important this is, do it now, especially if it takes less than five minutes.
Speaker 2: Make that your rule.
Speaker 1: If something is going to take me less than five, maybe even ten minutes, I'm going to do with the moment that I think about it. One thing I've started to make a conscious effort to get better at these days is replying to people as they message me. I actually full intention of responding to people when they message me. I tell myself I'll do it when I'm not busy, when I can pay attention to what I write back, be more thoughtful, more eloquent, Maybe when I get into bed and I have a moment to think, and to be honest, it never happened, and so weeks would go by, and then suddenly they pop into my brain at a random moment in time that was absolutely not the right time for them to pop into my mind, but they do. And then all I'm thinking about is the fact that I have to reply back to them instead of the conversation I meant or the work I'm trying to do, And so to prevent all of that, how about we just write something back. One thing that helps is voice knowing, because sometimes texting feels like you have to put so much effort. Voice note bing bang done so much easier, and then you can take that off your list and you know that you've replied back to them. It was also something that really bugs me when people would say it about my personality, where they say, oh, yeah, don't worry, you can't even expect her to respond, and I was like, wait, what do you mean. I didn't even realize that I was doing it, and so I started writing back in the moment even if it was short, even if it was snappy, and my friend started to notice, and that actually felt so good to be the person that responds. Now sometimes to my friends, I'm like, you know, I respond faster than you do, actually, but it just showed me that you can change habits if you set up the right structure for yourself. A nothing I would do is if there was a message or email that needed a little bit more time or thought, I would have a note in my phone for all the people that I need to respond to, call back email bag, and just have an ongoing list of that in one place. Because sometimes I'd remember I need to respond to someone, but I could not remember who it was. Then I spend half an hour scrolling through every form of messaging to see if I could remember who it was. Just so not time efficient, and honestly, when it comes to task, it's the same stop waiting to have time to do it, especially if it takes between zero to five minutes the core, put the clothes in the washing machine, place the Amazon order, and at the time it might feel a little bit weird or feel like a chore, but the feeling of reward and accomplishment after is so good. You're like, yeah, I did that, I thought of it and I did it. What that's amazing because you actually did what needed to be done, and your body and your mind will reward you for that because you've completed a loop in your mind. And so I think the trick to ADHD is in the systems and structures that you put in to place for yourself. And it only becomes a disadvantage in systems that are not designed for us, not designed for us amazing people to come in and disrupt their world. But with the right structure, it can really become a superpower. So once you have these easy systems in plates, it can make things feel so much more manageable. So the next thing I struggle with being an adhder is something they call time blindness.
Speaker 2: We have two issues with time.
Speaker 1: We struggle to really comprehend how long things will take us. We almost have this illusional, optimistic view of being able to do so much within a very short period of time. I do that all the time when I'm cooking for people. I'm like, oh, this will literally take me an hour. I'm still there four or five hours later, and I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, I really thought I really thought it was only.
Speaker 1: Going to take me an hour, and my mind really does think that, and so we struggle with how long things will take us, but also losing track of time while doing anything, being really surprised by deadlines even when you knew.
Speaker 2: About them, but you really believe that you.
Speaker 1: Can fit everything in, and I always feel like I could do one more thing before leaving, and then.
Speaker 2: I always end up being late.
Speaker 1: I don't know whether any of you can relate to that, but I do that every single time. It's like I'm actually running early for something, but then I realize I'm running so early that I could fit something else in, and the thing I tried to fit in absolutely will not fit in that time. And so you then end up being late and feeling awful about it, cancelling last minute because everything took so much longer than you expected, and then your friends ended up thinking you just don't care, or or you end up avoiding plans altogether because timing just feels so stressful. It's not organization or disrespect, it's just that time just doesn't register in the same way for us. So useful way to handle this is doing realistic alarms for yourself and setting really big buffer times. Sometimes the people around me will give me fake times to make sure that I'm ready, and I don't like it, but I understand why they have to do it, but I still don't appreciate it. So instead I send myself a buffer so I feel like I'm in control. You might have seen me sharing my journey of training for High Rocks. I wanted to push myself to do something out of my comfort zone, but also something my younger self would have never expected us to achieve.
Speaker 2: Running is a big part of High Rocks.
Speaker 1: You have to run almost six miles throughout the race, and so I have been spending a lot of my time running. I've always loved running as a way to find rhythm in my life, not just for performance, but to create space in my mind. I found whenever my mind is racing or I feel overwhelmed, moving my body, especially running, helps me to get out of my head and back into the present moment, into my body. And I with the type of person who thought I'd enjoy running. I used to hear my friends talk about a running high where you just get into this stride. You're not thinking about the movement, You're just in flow. And I had never really felt that a huge part of that is what I run in, the clothing I wear, but more importantly, the shoes I'm wearing. It's so hard to feel free in your mind when your body isn't feeling comfortable or is in pain, and I found that a hurdle in the past when I've tried to do long runs. I started wearing Ultra running shoes. Ultrafit mimics the natural shape of your foot with a roomy toe box that gives your toe space to move freely for more natural comfort and movement. The last thing you want is the distraction of your feet cramping or rubbing somewhere. Ultra designs their shoes around something very simple, letting your feet be feet. That extra room might seem small, but it changes how your entire body experiences movement. I've also been thinking a lot about strength lately, and from my training, I've realized so much of our strength comes from our foundation, our feet. When they have space and they given the opportunity to work fully, you feel stronger with every stride, every mile. You trust in your body and ability so much more. Ultrafits and moves with you and your goals. It's comfortable, balanced, and versatile. Whether you're a beginner or a season marathon runner, It's become my go to running shoe. If you want to check Ultra Running Shoes out and experience the ultrafit for yourself, shop now at Ultra Running dot com. That's al tr running dot Com.
Speaker 2: If you aren't.
Speaker 1: Totally satisfied after thirty days, you can simply return them for free with Ultra's thirty day Trial run Guarantee. What's even better is if you have an HSA or FSA, Ultra Running Shoes may qualify as a medical expends through Truemed, and qualified customers save about thirty percent on average. Head to trumed dot com. Forward slash Ultra to check your eligibility before you buy. Truemed is for qualified customers, HSA FSA, tax savings vary, Experience Ultra and stay out there. Next up, we really like to start lots and lots of things together. I say, we look, you may not be feeling all these but I'm going to do a Wii because it makes me feel like we're part of this together. Okay, but we get so excited and we want to start all these new things phenomenal, so fun.
Speaker 2: We're full of ideas.
Speaker 1: But what I would recommend is that you really try to complete one thing and then start the next. I know it goes against every fiber of your being, but I'm telling you it is an absolute game change and actually way more efficient than starting one hundred things at a time. I know that feels odd too, because our mind tells us doing all the things at the same time is more efficient, But going against that impulse is important to actually get through things. So just make a point of telling yourself, I do not move on from this activity till I've finished it. It's like a tag in tag out situation, not I'm going to put you to the side.
Speaker 2: Start this, put that to the side, and.
Speaker 1: Then you might d u getting to the end of the day and feel like you just haven't completed anything. And so it feels so much nicer to do less in a day but finish each thing as you go along. So I mentioned structure, but I would like to emphasize how important structure is when you're mine feels chaotic, which usually it does for us. You need to create organization externally to feel some sort of peace and calm internally.
Speaker 2: Now some people.
Speaker 1: Say I have organized chaos around me, and I think I believe it, but I also don't because actually just organized calm is better than organized chaos. And so to make it all make sense in your mind, make your external environment a little bit more peaceful. Alarms, schedule, adding things to your calendar, having places for everything that you need in your life, having drawers labeled. If you came to my house you think there was something wrong with me. I have everything labeled, every single jar, every single spice pot, every single draw There is a place for everything, because it just helps me to feel sane in my day and it helps me helps me feel organized in my mind when I see organization externally. But also add less than more. Remember that time thing I said, don't add too much in there. Whatever you think you could do, buffer an extra thirty minutes either side, at least per activity to see if you can get it done, and then you don't feel disappointed every day then you didn't keep up with your schedule, because that will then put you off having a schedule and it will not feeling too overwhelming saying, oh, well, I didn't stick to my schedule, and having a schedule makes me feel really anxious because when I don't finish it, I feel disappointed in myself, so it can become a vicious cycle. So start off by scheduling really small things in your day, tick them off, and then move on to adding more and more in.
Speaker 2: As time goes on.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you the most underrated thing for ADHD, the most underrated thing. It is free and it requires no tools, no equipment.
Speaker 2: You know what that is?
Speaker 1: A simple breath? Yes, so underrated, actually really not given the praise that it should in life. Because breath is the anchor between your mind and your body. It can help you to collect your thoughts and help you keep going. Breathing is so underestimated and underused superpower when it comes to your mind racing.
Speaker 2: And so take deep.
Speaker 1: Breath during the day when you catch your mind running at the speed of lightning, Just sit, take a deep breath, collect your thoughts, and then move on to the next thing. I find it makes such a difference to the speed I speak at or my mind thinking of one hundred things. It really really does make a difference. It brings instant calm to your nervous system and so you don't need fancy tools or anything. All you need to do is reconnect to your breath sometimes and it can really help you to focus.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 1: I mentioned this earlier about cutting people off of a conversation, and I think I found a really useful way to stay present in a conversation. I really try to focus on what the person is saying, not what I'm going to say next. And to be able to do that, you have to increase your presence in the moment. And presence in the moment comes with where your focus is at. And so to get yourself out of your mind and back into the conversation if you notice it, you know, going on a different tangent or getting distracted. I do think is like looking at their mouth while they are speaking. Really seeing their mouth move helps me to focus on what they're saying, but also listening to the tone of the voice, making eye contact. Don't be looking around while they're speaking. Lock into the person. Lock into the conversation allows you to be more present, allows them to feel like you are actually engaging in the conversation, but also allows you to really hear what they're saying, rather than being distracted by our own mind. And another thing is we always try to mold ourselves to other people or the environment around us, But what if we created an environment that works for us, not against us. I used to think I needed more will power, more discipline in my life, but I didn't. I just need a few distractions in my life, and so I had to change a few things externally and internally and in my day to allow myself to thrive in the environment.
Speaker 2: That I've created.
Speaker 1: Our brains are highly sensitive to visual and sensory noise, and so removing friction can help more than trying harder. So practical changes that could work are things like your phone in another room.
Speaker 2: It sounds.
Speaker 1: I know you hear things like that and you're like, ah, not really for me, but try it. You amount have noise that comes from just this one screen is insane. Having only one tap open on your computer at a time, so you're not seeing so many things open.
Speaker 2: That helps me a lot.
Speaker 1: Having a physical notebook next to you at all times, having a clear workspace. Take five minutes before you sit down to just clear your area so you don't see anything else there so nothing is distracting you. No open books, but nothing. Just try and keep your area very minimalist. Another thing that I have done that has severely helped me in my day where I can notice my mind starting to wonder is I get on the treadmill and I walk while I work. And I used to think, oh my god, why am I so focused when I'm walking on the treadmill. I get so much done on there, And it really does help to regulate your focus. It actually boosts openmine, which is the focus chemical in your body. So sometimes if I'm on a phone call, I'll pace, or if I'm thinking about something, I'll just walk up and down. And I always spend at least like an hour of my day, especially during the afternoon period, to walk on the treadmill and work on there, and sometimes I end up getting done more in one hour of walking and working than I do of three to four hours sitting still. And if you don't want to do that, you could stretch between your tasks, but just doing short bursts of movement between things can help to refocus you, like literally five minutes in between activities. ADHD often involves our nervous system being really dysregulated, so either we're overstimulated or we're understimulated, and so movement helps the body to remove any excess energy and brings the system back into balance, which is why pacing helps you think, fidgeting can help you listen, and gentle movement can help you to reduce anxiety that you're feeling. As much as we love being spontaneous, what really helps is creating less variables in your routine. Monotony is actually our best friend. Having the same breakfast most days, the same morning rhythm makes us have fewer decisions to make, which means we have more energy. The less decision fatigue we have, the better, the more we have energy to spend in the rest of our day. And so actually you won't think of repeating the same thing every day, how boring, but actually doesn't make it boring. It makes it lighter, more stable, and makes you less anxious. Okay, so everything that I've shared until now has been more practical and based on lifestyle, and I think sometimes people forget that what we eat and how we eat can absolutely influence how active our mind feels. And so I really wanted to touch on diet too, because it's so important when it comes to ADHD. So the first thing is probably going to be something you don't want to hear, but it's something.
Speaker 2: That I have to tell you.
Speaker 1: It is my duty to let you know, to plant the seed in your mind. It is, girl, you got to get off that coffee as much as you possibly can. And I know, coffee smells so good. I love the smell of coffee. The ritual feels so good. It's so comforting. But the thing is that the caffeine and coffee and how it hits your body, it can just tip you over the edge. If your mind is already over active, it can just create more chaos in your mind and take it into overdrive. Now, there are some really great alternatives these days.
Speaker 2: Mud water.
Speaker 1: My friends have been using that. They absolutely love it. You know, having a little functional mushroom war beverage sounds the same.
Speaker 2: Doesn't it.
Speaker 1: Okay, it doesn't sound the same, but I guarantee you that you can learn to love it. But they honestly do taste pretty great. They've really mastered at least an alternative for that. And that's really why we ended up making Junior was Sparkling adaptationic tea brand because we wanted people to have a healthy dose of caffeine. We have caffeinated and decaf options, but the caffeated ones are Energy from Green Tea and adaptogens that can really help calm the mind and focus while still giving you energy.
Speaker 2: So it's got that perfect balance.
Speaker 1: And to be honest, if you still want to stick to your coffee ritual, you can always try a decaff coffee for at least one of the coffees you're having in the day, and ideally the one that you start your morning with is the most important because it says the tone for the rest of the day. Another big influence is our sugar levels, trying to balance them throughout the day and not starting the day off with a huge sugar spike that just rattles you up and throws you off. So starting your mourning with a bit of protein and some healthy fats can really help to b and stabilize your blood sugar for the rest of the day and set your mind up for success so that it can go through the day more calm and collected. I actually recently started having a savory breakfast again instead of my morning smoothie, which I used to put lots of berries, and I used to put my protein powder in there too, but it was stead a sweeter breakfast. And so right now I'm doing this unsweetened yogurt with a mixture of swear beans or chickpeas or edamamae beans and some seeds and nuts, and also a little cilentroid chutney. And I'm so obsessed with it. I literally can't wait for the morning to eat it. But it also, I've noticed, is making my mind and my gut feel a lot better right now than doing a smoothie, And so try out having a savory breakfast now. The thing is everything is going to be an experiment for you. You may end up trying it and realizing that actually, I don't feel any different. But I think a big part of this process is observation and also experimenting. Test something out, take one thing out, substitute it with something else, and see how your body and your mind reacts. You might even have to have the thing that you're used to having for a couple more days so that you can observe how you feel on it to be able to see what the differences. Now, if you're not taking a Mega three supplement for your brain, this is such a great supplement to start incorporating to support your brain function. There is also elthianine, which can help to calm.
Speaker 2: Your nervous system.
Speaker 1: Elthenin is also in matches, so that could be a good substitute for you in the morning for you to sop out your coffee with two. Do not forget to incorporate probiotics or probiotic foods into your diet every day. I always have soaur krat in my fridge and I have it with my breakfast or my lunch. It's so easy to incorporate into anything. It's so great for your gut, but also as a crunchy sour thing on the side of your food, which is always nice. And lastly, try to have an overall anti inflammatory diet, which sounds a little bit more complicated than it actually is really and truly, the more whole foods that you eat, the less process packaged foods that you eat, the less inflammatory your.
Speaker 2: Diet will be.
Speaker 1: If you don't have to cut out all package foods. You could also do this gradually, maybe like two days a week you decide that you're going to cook at home instead, or you're gonna substitute out that packet of crisps or chips for I don't know, some crispy tofood that you made at home, or some nuts, or maybe some seed crackers that you made at home. And also the same goes for having an anti inflammatory lifestyle. One of my favorite things to do every single week at the moment is doing a sauna or cold plunge, or even just doing a bath at home with epsom salts. If you don't have that accessible to you, just try and focus on the basics getting good sleep, quantity and quality, moving your body, and incorporating some simple breathing into your day, and then add in being a little bit more mindful about what you're eating, and honestly you'll be doing great. And just remember you never have to change anything too drastically. Sometimes if we try to change too much, our mind and our body ends up rebelling and it feels too drastic and it feels unsafe. And so pick little things that you feel comfortable changing in your life today, and then every week you could incorporate something new or one small shift that you make and add into your daily schedule. So I would like you to remember next time you're really disliking your ADHD and you feel like you don't belong because of it, just know that it is not a flaw at all. It's just a different operating system. And you need to figure out systems that work for you, to really work with it rather than against it. And once I understood that, and once I started spending time and investing energy into creating that for myself, everything got so much easier. Doesn't mean that it's still not difficult at times, but I really think working on these systems is what can really save you.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I hope that helped.
Speaker 1: Let me know if you have any tips or tricks, DM me comment when this episode comes out. We'd love to hear from all of you wonderful people by sending you so much love and thank you so so much for listening.