Speaker 1: Welcome to Had of Money. I'm Joel and I am Matt, and today we're asking the question how complicated should investing be?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So, speaking of investing, did you realize I didn't realize.
Speaker 1: This until recently, until a couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: Ago, but we just exited the longest bear market since nineteen forty eight? Oh wow, isn't that crazy? I'm just crazy to think about it. So here's feel that long ago. Ultimately it really did. And this is so the reason I'll bring this up is because I love the fact that we didn't even really notice that, and hopefully listeners didn't notice that either, because they were just continuing to invest like clockwork, continuing to plug money into the market. But oftentimes folks aren't doing that because they are over complicating things. They're making it a little too complex, is keeping them from their financial goals. And so we're going to try to make sure that does not happen from here on out if you're listening to this podcast. Yeah, and there's a couple things I think that might make sense to complicate a little bit on the investing front. But how complex you get and what you you know, what you choose to investment. We're going to talk about a bunch of different ways you can complicate things and maybe it's good, and then other ways in which you can overdo it. So that's the that you should completely avoid. That's the theme of this of this combo in this episode. What's this You wanted to talk about getting beers last night or something? Okay, So we got beers with a friend last night, Uh huh. And there's free parking all around where we hang but there's also a paid parking lot when all the free parking's taken really close to this particular establishment. Yes, And I was driving from across town and they were I couldn't find a free parking spot, and I did want to be a Jurrik and be and be late when when we'd had this hang plan for a little while, so I paid five bucks for parking and I hate that.
Speaker 1: There's like not much I hate more than that. And so but then we were walking to the car after hanging out, and he pointed out a couple of free spots. I didn't know about it. He's like, these are the this is the low hanging fruit. No one's ever spots. So hopefully I'll never have to do it again.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I got a couple of follow ups then, Okay, so when you were meeting up, yeah, like with a friend for beers, how late is too late because there's like a certain amount of window unless like you're it's a business meeting and like you're meeting a client. Obviously, if you're if you're on time, you're late. Like basically you need to get there early. But when it comes to like friend hangs, what's your window of time?
Speaker 1: Think i'd be in past ten minutes late? Feels just oh yeah, rude, Okay, I totally if you're like three to five minutes late, it's it's probably not.
Speaker 2: Three to five, which is why because I saw you walking into the place last night and I was like, oh crap, do I need to go ahead and pay for parking as well? And it was it was like four or five minutes after and so I was like, all right, I'm gonna circle the blog more time. And okay, So I so you heard a free spot firee spot. I paid like an idiot. So okay, what are your thoughts on how do you feel about questionable parking spots like spots that obviously if something is marked and it says no parking. I don't. You're not gonna park there. There's a good chance you might get towed whatever, make somebody upset. But I guess I mentioned this because I feel like for years I have parked in spots that are like, oh, I'm not totally sure this is a legit spot. It doesn't say no parking, it's not right in front of a fire hydrant, there's no red curb, that kind of thing. And I can't remember the last time I got a parking ticket. Yeah, it's a you gotta know what you're risking, right, and exactly I think I took a risk I'm willing to take a couple of years ago, when I was meeting a friend down by the airport, he was in town for a second. We grab beers and I parked in I think where like they the valet.
Speaker 1: Would park cars. But it was raining super hard, there was nobody out there, and there were plenty of spots, and so I risked it and I didn't get a ticket, which is great, but I also knew I might get a ticket or somebody might say something to me.
Speaker 2: Did you had you said something to the valet? Was there when they're like a valet there and you're.
Speaker 1: Like, hey, or is this a thing? So I don't think there was anybody there, which is why I was like, all right, I'm just gonna give it a shot. But yeah, well, paying for parking is a pet pia mine. Every once in a while, you gotta know what you're willing to risk. Yeah, all right, let's mention the beer we're having on this episode. This one's called Symptom of Progeny. It's a golden sour ale that you picked up Matt at burial So.
Speaker 2: And not only did I pick one up for us, I actually picked up three additional bottles for Kate and I because we had this at the brewery and we liked it that much. At the time, I was thinking, this is a perfect barrel aged golden ale. So I'm looking forward to sharing it with you today.
Speaker 1: Same here. All right, Well, let's get to the subject of hand. Matt. We're talking about how complicated investing should be, and it just maybe think back when we were renovating our home before we made the move to the Burbs, and I'd never really done that massive of a renovation and it was kind of fun to pick out specific finishes for all the stuff we were doing, like the tile.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the tile in particular was.
Speaker 1: Top and it was just it was a fun endeavor up until a point, and then it started started to kind of get old after a while. Right, there were endless options of everything, and even picking out that tile, it took a lot of searching and looking to find the exact kind that we wanted. Then, so at a certain point in the process I kind of got decision fatigue, right, discussing paint colors and toilets even which who knew that you could really go down a rabbit hole of toilets, but yes you can, especially these days online. There's so many, so many different toilets you could get, and at some point you just stop carring which toilet suit your vibe the best right And investment choices I think can be similar to that kind of process of when you're renovating and all the choices you have, the choice overload. There's so many directions you can go in on the investing front, all sorts of options that you can consider, and I do think it for some things in life, more can be merrier, right, but it can also backfire, and things that could be fun or could be energizing ways in which more choice can be beneficial well as possible for it to go too far, especially especially when we're talking about building wealth, and so would we would say, And something we talk about on the show regularly is that complicating things doesn't always make them better, and in fact, the opposite is typically true, and especially on the investing front. That's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you even said the term decision fatigue, and that's when basically you are spending an inordinate amount of time trying to decide which of the many, many options you have available to you is going to suit you best. And when it comes to investing specifically, there are so many options, so many distractions that can keep us from investing the way that we should with the vast majority of our money. And you know, when there is that much noise, which is often coming from the talking heads in financial media, it is no wonder that we start thinking, Like we start asking ourselves, well, maybe I should be investing internationally, right, Like I should probably diversify.
Speaker 1: More value stocks in my portfolio, invest.
Speaker 2: In wine and art as well. I've heard that the returns on ESG funds they're pretty solid, So maybe that's the direction I should be going. But many of those questions and considerations they don't actually help all that much, and in fact, they end up distracting us from from doing what it is that we should be doing. But that doesn't necessarily mean that we should bury our heads in the sand. We think it is important to know what the other options out there are and then why it is that we should either consider them or ignore them all together.
Speaker 1: That's part of the reason we like Aldi, Matt is because there's just fewer things, fewer choices right at your disposal. There's like one ketchup and so you just get the ketchup as you're walking by, and the simplicity even know what is it? Burman's lines, Yeah, and it's just nice to know, Okay, cool, I need ketchup, and I don't have to look at the price pronounce and different brand names and which ones on sale right now. You just grab the ketchup and it's so easy. So I think, yeah, we could stand to have a little more like Aldi in the way we think about investing. And part of the reason we're talking about this today is because when market conditions are good, there's even more of an inclination to shake things up to start overthinking things, and you mentioned, hey, guess what, now we've ended that longest bear run and we're in a bold market right now. When we are in that bear market, though, when things are going badly, when the stock market is performing poorly, nobody wants to discuss smart investing methods. Everyone's just kind of like covering their head. They're grinning and bearing it.
Speaker 2: The assumption is that the market is going to continue to drop, and so why would you start investing if things are going to continue along the same path.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But then again, when things start going gangbusters, everybody's got an opinion, right. And so now that we are officially in this bowl market, we're up twenty percent from from those lows. We're seeing certain stocks popping in a big way, and I think more people are more inclined to start fiddling with their portfolio. It holds a greater allure right now when things are going up up into the right and the boring index fund route, it seems more intelligent, I think when the market is going down, but on the way up, it just it feels kind of like you should be making moves to amplify those gains, right, Why settle for average, when certain things are popping off to greater degrees. But just because it's more exciting or just because it's more enticing, that doesn't mean it's the direction you should be heading in. That's right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: And also we're not just talking about the you know, that part of your portfolio that you want to speculate with that five percent or less that you'll hear us mention here on the show as a pressure relief valve. Now, we still think that this is a good rule of thumb, good thing to maintain. And for a lot of folks who do like to tinker, I think having a negligible amount of money that you can trade just for funzis helps them to stay the course and to keep doing the boring, old standard, bland thing with the bulk of their investment dollars. So eat your heart out with that small percentage of play investment dollars.
Speaker 1: Go to town, do the funkiest things you can.
Speaker 2: Think of the money though that you're willing to completely lose. Right, But what we're talking about today is the other ninety five percent of your portfolio.
Speaker 1: A few specific.
Speaker 2: Temptations, and then why it is that most of them should probably be avoided.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not that we have a problem with folks getting a little wild and a little speculative. It's just like five percent wild exactly. You just can't let it infect all the other areas that you're trying to do the boring, proven method of building wealth, right and so totally if you leg it out hand, I feel like it can kind of tank the majority of what of your assets that are going to be doing just the standard normal thing, which is investing in total overall stock market kind of thing. Right. And we're also we're not going to focus too much on timing today, right, whether now is a good time to start investing if you haven't already, because for most people, dollar cost averaging is the best approach, right sticking your money into your four one K, your IRA, or your HSA your Health Save mus account, which we always talk about as being an awesome investment vehicle. Most people don't think of it that way.
Speaker 2: Talked about it on Monday. Yeah, we've been hitting it more lately. Yeah, Yeah, it's a good thing. It is because people need to know that. And if you're investing in each of those vehicles like clockwork, every time you get paid without giving it a second thought. This is the best way to go, right, And so when it comes to timing, it's not something that we're fans of, and in fact, it's really easy to screw that up and actually shoot yourself in the foot as you're trying to time your entrance into the market in a given on through year. But this strategy, the dollar cost averaging strategy, it works because you're able to remove your emotions from the equation, and our emotions can get the best of us. But that being said, if you really want to optimize for the highest returns, the data show that lump some investing at the beginning of the year or as soon as you're able to fund a retirement account is the way to go. And I guess the reason we talk about dollar cost averaging is and not lump some, it's just because that's how most people get paid. That's the way it makes most sense. But most folks aren't sitting on like a massive pile when this.
Speaker 1: You know. But if you are, if you do have the money in January to fully fund your roth IRA or something like that, go for it. Go to town. That's a better thing to do than do the doing the dollar cost averaging approach. It's just that specifically, with something like a four to oh one k, it makes sense to deploy it every single paycheck. So really the timing that we're talking about is the sooner the better, and the more regular the better too. Yeah, and I mean, I do think it's worth maybe trying to work towards that lump some kind of mindset. If you're able to slowly over time over the years, kind of get ahead of it, right, So as opposed to you get paid, do you invest a portion of that but stockpiling that ahead time, So if you're able to max that out, make that payment that year, but then slowly over time you build up essentially like a little war chest, so that when the new year does hit and you are able to invest in those retirement accounts for the next year. The ability to make that happen sooner rather than later, it does over the long haul return you higher returns. But then when it comes.
Speaker 2: To the actual securities or the actual investments that we're making, there's also a lot of nuance involved. Some things are going to be more negotiable than others, and some of the things we're going to mention today might actually be worth considering. So we'll talk about some of those alongside some ways that folks are attempted to invest their money right now that we think are going to be a distraction at best, but it actually could be damaging your future returns at worst.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it feels like we have more investment options at our disposal than ever before. So it's like the opposite of all the like I was talking about, Matt, Now, it's just like plethor of this range and not just inside of our four oh one k, but then even all of these exterior alternative investment possibilities that we could partake in that we're getting pitched right and left in different places, whether it's a newsletter that you read, or whether it's commercials that you see or social media advertisements, just talking with friends.
Speaker 2: I feel like it's a conversation I have more often as I've gotten older. Folks and rightly so, are more interested in investing. But just because folks are talking about it doesn't mean that it's something that you that you should be considering, because but it's all enticing and it's like, yeah, your eyes can get as wide.
Speaker 1: As saucer as you're like, wait, I cant invest in that or this or that. That's amazing, but then you I think a lot of people lose the plot if they start to go down that rabbit hole, and maybe they miss out on the main course. So yeah, let's talk about some of those added investing complications, when to say yes, when to say no. We'll get to more on that right after this.
Speaker 2: All right, we are back and we're talking about the many different forms that investing can take. And we're gonna kick this off with international stocks, because this is one I feel like it's kind of gained some steam lately. Joel. Neither you nor I have much exposure to international stocks ourselves, and we actually feel pretty good about our decision. But there are a lot of smart folks out there who have a different take. And again, yeah, it's a topic worth discussing because we get the question from listeners sometimes as well. But Jack Bogel, he's the founder of Van Guard. He's a pretty brilliant dude.
Speaker 1: Passed away what a year or two ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, went all that long ago. But he was famously not a big fan of international diversification for a number of reasons. And the truth is, so many of the companies that you own in either a total stock market index fund or an SMP five hundred index fund. They do business overseas, and that was, honestly, that was Bogel's main argument. Something like forty percent of s and P five hundred revenues come from other countries come from overseas, and so folks who have diversified to more international holdings they haven't done as well. But of course past results are not indicative of future returns, and so we're not saying that like, oh, yeah, things, you should only be investing in US companies. This isn't like a Even though we love America for many reasons, we think that our country is a very fertile ground that comes to starting new industries and the ability for companies to get ahead, that doesn't necessarily mean that over the long haul that international stocks may not do better than the total US stock market. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, and the truth is our country is really only four percent of the world's population, but we have our stock market. The global wealth is something close to a quarter of it. So and it turns out then when you look at the numbers, international stocks are relatively inexpensive these days, which is part of the reason we're probably seeing more headlines about them in front of the show, Ben Carlson Matt Who's just a brilliant mind of love rereading his blog, he recently articulated his ues on why folk should have more international stock exposure, and he said, global diversification is about accepting good enough returns to avoid the potential for terrible returns at an inopportune time. And I think it's a really good way of thinking about it. You're not necessarily if you do choose to invest internationally, doing it because you're looking for outsized mega returns or anything like that, and you might see better returns over the next decade, who knows, But yeah, I think investing internationally it's not a necessity. But given the outperformance that the US stock market has seen recently in the past decade plus, international stocks do look cheaper and more attractive right now. This is one of those things where I think you can complicate your life a little bit and add international stocks to your portfolio. But it's also not a have to. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think Ben's argument it's more from like a wealth preservation standpoint, as opposed to him saying that like, oh, things are going to be gangbusters overseas in the coming decade.
Speaker 1: Some folks would point to Japan, whose stock market was rocket and rolling in the nineteen eighties, and I think finally just got back to nineteen navy levels like in recent weeks. So multiple decades, yeah, so like last decades really, which you know could happen if you're too heavy into one country.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But so even if you do want some international exposure, don't go overboard and don't make massive changes quickly, like all at once. I would consider keeping your portfolio as it is, keep it intact, but then start investing any new dollars into either target date funds or into another international fund like Vanguard's Total World Market Fund. That ticker symbol for that one is VT. And what's great about those two, well, especially Vanguards, the costs are so incredibly low. That's one of the things you get with Vanguard.
Speaker 1: You get that international international exposure, but you're barely paying more than what you pay for just an S and P five hundred x fund.
Speaker 2: It is a little bit more on the target date funds, but they're I think it's fair because you are getting an added benefit with those target date funds as it's changing its allocation over the years.
Speaker 1: And this is and it truly is the most set it and bring out approach.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well exactly, because I mean, I don't know if we were planning even to talk about bonds. But a big part of that too is it changes how much of its holdings are in bonds, because when you're looking really really far out, like bonds are more conservative and so they're there oftentimes as a hedge two stocks. But then especially with the target date funds that are that we're quickly approaching, say like at twenty thirty fund, you're going to see a much higher percentage of the allotment of the portfolio towards bonds. But that doesn't necessarily mean though that you should be going out and also buying a bond index fund, because, especially if you are earlier on in the wealth building stage of your investing life, you can afford, you can handle to weather out those the volatility, these storms of ups and downs, and in fact, you can't afford to not be investing in actual stocks over the long haul. The closer you get to retirement, yeah, maybe you do want to de risk a little bit and see more consistent returns, but you just need to know that those returns are going to be slightly less than if it was fully in stocks, but.
Speaker 1: It's going to smooth out the bumps. Which, yeah, especially as you're getting closer to withdrawing those funds, you want those bumps to be smoothed out because it's going to be really disheartening and potentially destroying to your lifestyle if you're let's say your portfolio declined twenty percent or something in a year you had a twenty twenty two style year as you are leaving employment. That's a tough pill to swallow. But let's talk about another thing mat that can complicate people's portfolios, and that's investing in a socially responsible way, opting for ESG funds, which is becoming more and more popular. We're seeing a lot of people kind of start to stock more of their money into these kinds of funds. And there's ESG.
Speaker 2: Stands for environmental, social and governance, so the way a company is run.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and there's just a lot more interest now in these funds, and there's kind of a push to get people to stick their money into these funds which claim to be investing in ways that are better for the environment and for other social reasons. But our take really is that ESG is largely in the eye of the beholder, and you can't make this up, Matt. But something I saw last week Philip Morris, which is a company that makes cigarettes that have killed so many people, millions of people, Well, they're scoring higher in the ESG ratings than TESLA, like significantly higher. Yes, G, I know. And so it's just like, what in the world is ESG trying to accomplish? And a similar thing, right, companies who are hijacking our attention, they're making products with slave labor overseas, Like many of those companies are also ESG darlings. They score well on these ESG front So I think the lack of defineability is a massive problem on the estre front. And it's been sold as this way to do good with your investment dollars, but that's not necessarily the way it shakes out in reality.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And ESG funds they actually so they not only perform more poorly in a financial sense, offering worse returns to investors, which is the main goal of investing, but they're also actually worse on these ESG metrics than what it does. These funds say that they're trying to achieve. This is according to research out of Columbia University. We'll linked to that in the show notes, but there are other studies as well that have come to similar conclusions. Opting for these ESG funds, it's not doing anything much for the environment or to change corporate governance. And these these funds, again, you know, they perform more poorly because they come with higher fees oftentimes not to mention worse results. So for a while there it seem like ESG funds were actually performing better and it's just like, all right, if that's the direction you want to go based on past performance. But we're actually seeing that shift recently. But all of those things are eating into your returns significantly over time, and we think that most most folks should actually avoid some of these newer ESG funds and instead stick to traditional index funds. It's so difficult to define what it is that these different ESG funds are trying to achieve. So much of it it's not objective, it's subjective. And so again for you as an individual, you might hold different values than what it is that Meta is trying to accomplish, or Microsoft or any company, regardless of where they are on the ESG scale. And it's my subjective view that electric cars are better than cigarettes for people over time. So I'm just it's I'm curious. I don't really know how. It feels like there's like the Wizard of Oz making these decisions about behind some sort of curtain about which of these companies qualify for their funds and which ones don't. And until we get more clarity on that, and until I don't know, it seems like the funds that actually the companies that actually get included in some of those funds are companies that are doing more good. And even then it might not be in people's best interest as intand from financially, like they might be checking all the boxes from from an ESG standpoint, like maybe Philip Morris doesn't get to did they not change their name to Atria or whatever?
Speaker 1: That might be cree you.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but regardless, I would say good for them because somehow they were able to kind of green wash their way onto one of these funds. And unfortunately, that's what it seems like a lot of these companies are trying to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So when we're talking about complicating your investments. There's some things that might be worth it. Maybe you're saying, oh, the international stocks thing, that makes sense, and over time, I do think I want a little more exposure there, But on the ESG front, I don't think there's really any reason to complicate things further and basically sign yourself up for higher fees by stocking more of your money into these ESG style index funds. And let's talk about something else that people might do to complicate their investing strategy, and that would be to incorporate more real estate into their investing plan. And that's certainly a more complicated form of investing that you know, we get asked about fairly regularly, especially because you and I we are real estate investors. We're popular estate investors. We each own a handful of properties in the Atlanta area. And the thing is we're kind of mostly talking about the passive style investing on this episode, and you and I we think of real estate investing is more like taking on a part time job, because it kind of is right not only in the identifying and purchasing of that property, but in the managing of that property too. And so if you're not up for that. If you're not up for all of the extra work that it's going to take to own and manage that rental property, the fixes, the calls that you're going to have to get from the tenant, the things you're going to have to do to keep up with that property, you should avoid becoming a landlord. And you know, like I said this, so we're mostly talking about the simple forms of investing that most people are doing with every paycheck. So buying real estate is just this other ball of wax all together. It's not a bad one. It's not something we would necessarily steer people away from. And in fact, we've done episodes in the past. We'll link to one or two in the show notes if you want about investing in real estate and how it can be a powerful wealth builder. We're happy real estate investors ourselves. But the truth is there are other more passive ways to invest in real estate besides buying a duplex down the street in the town where you live or whatever. And so if you do want to add real estate exposure to your investments and you don't want to go with the part time job route, Matt, do you want to talk about maybe kind of some other ways to do that.
Speaker 2: You can do that by investing in rates. So that's how you say it, but it stands for real estate investment trusts, and so there are the public rates, there are private rates, and so we're not completely against the private ones, but they do come with higher fees unless liquidity. Oftentimes your money is locked up for years at a time. So because of that we avoid them ourselves. But even publicly trader reads they're kind of cool. They can give you some diverse exposure to real estate that you can easily dollar cost average into. You don't have to plunk down a large amount of cash, like twenty five thousand dollars is oftentimes sort of like the minimum amount required to go to some of these private routs.
Speaker 1: During like a cocktail hang or something, you can tell people, oh, I own apartment building in New York City, or I own this with that because you have like this small small sliver, but you do I've investment in that project, Like yeah, I own some.
Speaker 2: Of Tesla because I own right Boo. But some of the other reut funds, like Vanguard's V and Q, they are attractive because they're incredibly low cost, but still even still most folks. They don't need real estate exposure because the average American homeowner, they have most of their net worth tied up in their home, in their primary residence. And guess what last I checked, that's real estate. Yeah, and so we would rather see that kind of person more focused on investing within stocks via index funds. And even if you don't own your own home, and you're like, well, maybe I should be investing within a read. I don't own my my own property. Reads, they actually make up about five percent of the total stock market. And so guess what, if you own a total stock market index fund, you're probably invested in a reate. But boom, you just didn't even even realize it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, have you own real estate?
Speaker 2: You didn't know it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right. Even if you're a renter, you own some real estate via your other investments. And we hung out with somebody recently and he was asking about investing in real estate or passive income, and of course we try to dispel the myth that passive income is super easy to come by, but we even told it, yeah, hey, investing in real estate might make sense for you. And we're try to go through all the nitty gritty and all the details, but it's a harder thing for most people to accomplish. You have to save up a ton of money, and then numbers don't always make sense, and they make sense a lot less in today's environment than they have than they did years ago. So it's it's harder for people to get into the real estate game. But that brings up like one other I guess way that you can invest in real estate, and that is syndication funds and indication deals. Yeah, so those are interesting too, they're sexy, well they're yeah, I think they get some press, especially on Instagram. I follow some real estate investors and they're talking about syndication deals all the time. But there are good syndication deals, a bad syndication deals, and all the final realick. They're basically like, just imagine someone buying an apartment complex. Well, it's truly hard to do on your own. So you get a group of investors to pool their money together to buy this apartment complex and then you start, you know, paying all the investors out as you profit from that apartment complex doing well. And so the thing is, typically you have to have big money to get in the game, and you have to be an accredited investor, which means a net worth of a million dollars or I think an annual income of like two hundred and fifty k or something like that. So it's hard to even qualify for that much less save up the fifty k that it would take to get in on that one syndication deal. And most people over complicating their lives and they're probably getting to real estate heavy in with their investments by partaking in a syndication deal. That's unless they have been like maxing out those retirement accounts for years and years and years and still they've got extra money and they just really want to go down this hole. There's also a lot of pitfalls investing in the syndication route. We are already seeing some of these syndications go bust, a lot of investors losing all their money. That doesn't happen in the stock market nearly to the same degree.
Speaker 2: That's right, Yeah, I think a lot of folks just they just want to be able to refer to themselves as syndicates because that has a nice ring to it as well. But that is one way that folks could potentially overcomplicate their investing lies. But how do you, untie, that knot. What is the simplest and easiest way for you to invest for your future? We will get to that right after this.
Speaker 1: All right, Matt, let's keep talking about simple investing in some of the ways, maybe we try to complicate those investments, some of which might make sense, in others which don't make any sense at all. And I don't know. It makes me think about the game of life. You remember that game back in the day, you spin the wheel. You'd like never owned it, but I remember playing it, okay, And like you got a different job which had a different salary, You maybe had a family, or maybe you stayed a bachelor. I mean, there's all these different choices you make along the way. It's like the.
Speaker 2: American rat race.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, it's.
Speaker 2: The negative way to see it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, but there were so many different options. And the same thing is true in the world investing, Like you can go down a bunch of different paths. Which one makes sense for you might depend on and largely does depend on individual circumstances. But I think even still, there's a lot of broad based advice that we can give. Simplicity is typically in the investing world, a better way to go. And it just makes me think of like all these super niche platforms that exist now, Like you can invest in farmland, you can invest in wine, you can invest in whiskey, you can invest in crypto NFTs, and I mean think about how the n FT's done over the past eight to twelve months. I mean, I think that first tweet of Jack Dorsey's went for mega dollars, and now the guy can't even resell it, right, and so I think he did resell it, but for a whole lot less. Yeah, for like pennies on the dollar.
Speaker 2: Yeah, unfortunately lost a lot or fortunately because like if what we would not have wanted was for things to continue to spiral out of control and continue to but for that.
Speaker 1: Person, for them, yes exactly. But like conveniently we're hearing nothing nothing about some of those categories these days. But we actually did a deep dive of some of those different online investing platforms back in episode four forty six, if you want to go back and listen, and we kind of covered the fees but also the returns that you're likely to get on some of those things, and and uh, yeah, for most folks, all of these more vibrant. I'll say ways of investing your money. They're just a massive distraction from the tried and true investing methods, that's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you're not maxing out your roth IRA, if you're not maxing your four to ohine k socking away basically thirty thousand dollars annually into index funds within those tax advantage accounts, then you shouldn't even be considering any of these alternative platforms where you can invest in whiskey or wine.
Speaker 1: Like we were just talking about real estate, and I think that that's the first thing I would push back on somebody who's looking to do that. I would say, have you done all the border the low hanging fruit of those two accounts? Are you crushing it there? If so, we can talk about next steps. But if not, like real estate probably shouldn't be a consideration.
Speaker 2: Sure, yeah, I mean, if you've got money left over and you just love the novelty of it, then like it's not the worst thing in the world that you could dip your toes into. But most people who are investing in some of these random ways that have popped up in the past few years, they're just reducing their meat and potatoes style investing, and that's what we are trying to make sure that folks aren't taking care of first in order to funnel dollars into this direction. That's what we don't don't want folks to do. They're getting distracted from the like the bigger prize, and honestly, like this is to point out that most of the things that we've talked about aren't necessarily inherently bad investments, except for like crypto and NFTs, But like some of these other platforms, there's still investments. It's not like they're MLMs or anything like that where you're totally going to get scammed. It's just that there are other priorities that we want you to focus on first. If the alternative is to mindlessly blow that money, is to mindlessly consume, then I might even say, okay, well make sure, yeah, maybe you should invest in this platform if that's if that keeps you from blowing money that you otherwise would have invested, I think maybe in that scenario it could actually make sense. But we just want to make sure that you are eating your veggies, your mean potatoes first before you start focusing on.
Speaker 1: The exotic desserts off to the side. I think that's a good way of putting it. It's not that these things are inherently bad, although maybe NFTs are. But yeah, but like and crypto Yeah, yet to be determined. Some of these sites, like I don't minded their existence, yeah exactly. It's just that they are for investors who are doing the right thing with a ton of their income before even thinking about crossing the threshold into investing in some of the random things you can invest in now online. And let's talk about hiring an advisor for a second, man. I think that's something that the people might think that is either going to help them uncomplicate their finances or they think it might bring more complication. But they think it might bring some necessary complication their life life. And it's not that we think that hiring a human is a bad idea, right, that that a financial advisor can't stry in the right direction, can't give you good advice.
Speaker 2: We like humans, We like people mostly, it's not all about that we're not doubling down.
Speaker 1: Right. If human advisors were less expensive, I think it can make sense for more people, but for everyday folks. Again, I think the hiring an advisor question that pursuit can be a deviation from what they should really be focused on and focusing on. If you're barely snagging the match in your four to one K, you just don't need to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars to get advice from a professional. That's something that you can do before you talk to a profession right right, It would be so much better to funnel that money into those accounts, more money into those accounts to grow for your future. I think an advisor makes sense for some folks whose situation is getting more complicated, but even then, we want folks to only consider fee only financial planners. X Y Planning Network is probably the best side out there to find one of those. But I think people like they start to learn about money and they're like, oh, it must be time to hire the advisor. I need a guy. Yeah, girl. The truth is you probably don't unless you're crushing it. You've been crushing it for years on end. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I would say based on the fact that you if you are hearing a say this, that means you're listening to the podcast, which means like that tells me that I think you are the kind of person who's going to proactively take charge of your finances. And I think that that's a good thing, because what we don't want are folks to just by default thinking like, basically, I don't want you to be like me when I got my first real job and started earning money. I don't know if I've ever actually talked about this, sure new podcast logan don't be like that. But I went down I was like, oh, man, I'm earning real money now I'm gonna go talk to this Edward Jones guy. And so I walked down to walked out, you know, and drove down the street and went in there and started talking to him. But even at that point, I realized, this seems pretty expensive, and I think I can do what you're talking about with without paying you. And I actually just looked this up because I was curious what it is that they charge on the first two hundred and fifty thousand dollars. They charge one point three five percent. Wow, that is expensive, man, And especially for somebody who is just getting started with their investing, that is not a fee that they need to be and they need to be paying. But so one of the ways around hiring an actual person are is ai it is the all the robo advisors out there, and sometimes we say that, you know, this is a happy medium for a lot of folks, but are those a good choice and what would make someone opt to go in that direction. And this is the second time we've referenced Monday's episode, but we talked about the tax lost harvesting abilities of a robo advisor like Betterment, which we would say it's it's probably one of the best ones out there. It might be the best of the bunch within the robo advising category. And this is largely because of the like the behavioral finance elements that they've built into the.
Speaker 1: Service where they're able to help folks to stay the course. It's not like they offer superior fun choices or anything like that. There's no there's no secret sauce, right, It's it's those kind of advisory elements that they will they help you stay the course, which is really important. That's one of the best things an advisor can do.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, And well then they actually do have advisors and so, like their fees range from like zero point two five percent for kind of like their standard digital plan, but if you pay a little bit more point four percent, which I don't like seeing. But with that premium service, you get access to professional financial planners actual cfps, which can go a long way when it comes to, you know, planning out your finals.
Speaker 1: When you think about when you compare it to something like Edward Jones that you just mentioned, that's a.
Speaker 2: Third of the price, saving an entire point. Yeah, for one hundred points a full percentage point, it seems like it seems like a pretty good deal. What do you think about on those terms? Yeah, you're paying a little more, certainly for a robo advisor than if you were to be doing it yourself, but it's still pretty inexpensive compared to hiring a traditional human advisor. And no hate to all those Edward Jones folks.
Speaker 1: Out there, Yeah, no, I mean, I'm some people want that. I guess, like that's not our jam, and that's not what we recommend people. It's a different Yeah, it's a different service, and some folks kind of want that assistance. They want to sit down in person, you know, going through that whole thing. I think if you're going to go the robo advisor direction, like I don't know, I think Betterments, Yeah, is one of the best and that combo of human advice with the kind of robo platform helping you on the tax front and on the advice front. I think it's pretty cool, and you know, for some people it's worth paying the extra money. But let's talk about Matt just kind of some guideline, some basics. When we talk about simplification of investing and how over complicating things, and of course there are a million ways that you can complicate your investing strategy, but we really believe that it doesn't need to be. It shouldn't have to be, and it shouldn't be terribly complicated. And I think the more complicated you make it, the less likely people are to partake in that action. Right when you say there's ten hoops to jump through, people are going to just walk away before they start. When the belief is that investing is hard, a lot of folks decide to skip out altogether. And so that does so much more harm than maybe not having quite enough international exposure or missing out on some years where real estate had super good return something like that. Doing the thing, even doing it imperfectly and doing it regularly is the key. It comes down to. The crux of the matter is don't let perfect be the enemy of good if you're trying to you're just starting out, and you're like, I want to invest the exact right way, the perfect way for future returns, and the perfect way so that I stay the course. I mean, I think my advice would be get started and then continue learning, and you can iterate over time if you want. But simplicity is better than perfection.
Speaker 2: So this kind of makes me think of why I don't necessarily like talking about my budget in the fact that we've made it available, which I guess I'm doing that by even sharing this example. But the reason I don't necessarily like pushing it out there for folks is because it's too complicated.
Speaker 1: For most folks.
Speaker 2: It's not something that, especially if you've never budgeted before, this shouldn't be your first step towards tracking your expenses and budgeting for the month. And so, in a similar way, we want folks to be successful rather than you know, having all the i's dotted, all the tea's crossing, and have anything's perfect, where you end up kind of, you know, falling off the wagon. And so we want folks to opt for what we would call a minimalist portfolio. We've always said that a total stock market or at S and P five hundred fund it gets folks who are in the wealth building phase of their lives basically what it is that they need without overthinking it. And target date funds they are another great set it and forget it approach for money that you're stalking away inside of your retirement accounts. And so it's not that you can't diversify further, you know, if you wanted to say, add some a little more real estate exposure via a rate, If you want to do that, that's great, you do you. It's just that the minimalist route, investing within a single fund or maybe two that are already well diversified, this is an effective strategy that will get you where it is that you want to be. Yeah, man, I love that. Like the idea of just keeping it as simple as possible, keeping it minimalist, and then doing the right thing over and over right. So the next thing would we've mentioned is to have that plan and then stick to it, because the best plan is something that you can stick to, and it's it's easy to make complicated plans and then it but it's easier to break those plans too, right, because you're like, wait a second, I got to step three. There's thirty more steps. I'm just gonna bow out right now. And that's what makes like, it makes me think of the app Couch to five K. Heard someone talking about that recently and how it changed their life. They were nervous to start running. But with that app, it's specifically it like slowly changes the amount of time where you're running and walking so that you don't feel overwhelmed. After two days of You're like, if you try to go run a five k and you've been like, haveing run at all in years, good luck, Right, you're probably gonna get demoralized. But if you take this couch to five k route and you try to build up over I don't know the course of something like three months, you are in all likelihood gone run an awesome five k a recipe for success. Heck, you might even keep going go ten k pretty soon. Right.
Speaker 1: But yeah, So the same is true with your investments. The most important thing is shoveling money into those retirement accounts, consistently getting those dollars invested in a diversified manner. So come up with the plan and hopefully that plan is minimalist in nature, and then stick to it, do it regularly, do it religiously. That's where dollar cost averaging comes in, right. If you just kind of keep doing it with every paycheck, then without overthinking, without overthinking it, you're going to be ahead, vastly ahead of the majority of your peers on the investing front. Yeah, and so you said kind of shoveling money into those accounts, which makes me think of the fact that especially early on, when you are just getting started with your investing, when you see fluctuations in the market, and especially like we've seen over the past several weeks we've seen a booming market, if you are just getting started with your investments, you're not going to see much change when it comes to the size of your portfolio because you're just getting started. Truly, what has the biggest impact, what moves the needle of the most is your savings rate and how much money you are able to sock away versus.
Speaker 2: Like we've been investing for like ten fifteen, coming up on twenty years, and we've got bigger nest eggs, that's bottom line than when we started investing fifteen twenty years ago. And now when the market goes up, it's a little more fun, right Like, it's a little more fun to see the balances increase a little bit when you check it at the end of the month. But that would not have happened if we weren't sacrificing, cutting back on expenses, finding ways to invest more while we were younger. Basically, you kind of have to like pay your dues a little bit. And once that nest egg gets to be a certain size, well market fluctuations and a growing market, that's when you get to see the beauty of the compound of compounding returns, because compounding returns and interest doesn't make a huge dent in those early years. On the back end is when you start to see.
Speaker 1: That you can totally split hairs about how much money you've got allocated international, how much exposure you have to real estate, whether or not you're investing in vintage lines, whatever. I mean, you can split hairs over all that stuff, and what the exact right percentage is for every single thing. Do I need more small cap value in my portfolio? Bloody bloody blah. And it's not that those conversations are completely worthless, but you're right, like the biggest change that we can make most easily that comes with the less stress and the most likelihood of follow through is to keep it simple and to just ramp up the percentage that we're that we're dedicating each and every month, each every paycheck to those accounts, Like that is the spigot that we can turn on the most that's going to lead to the largest growth in nest egg. You can try to get that perfect allocation, create the most diverse investment account possible, but the reality is then you're probably not quite as focused on that more important lever and ultimately, yeah, you might have the most diverse portfolio on earth, but you're the perfectly diverse Yeah, but you're missing out than on the most important thing. It's kind of like, well, we talked about back not too long ago with frugality, how it has to be wishing returns. Same thing. People. If you're so focused on frugality, you're probably not going to be as thoughtful about ramping up your income. And this is true too. I think the more you think about how your portfolio is allocated, boom, you've lost the plot and you're focused too much on the little things. You're majoring on the miners, that's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then and finally too. I mean, so one of the reasons we're talking about this today is because of the timeliness of it. Right, So, as the market is booming and we've seen some you know, fluctuation recently, but folks, it becomes something that folks want to talk about more. And what we want to encourage you to do is like, once you do have this plan you've heard us talk through, Hey, maybe you should just be looking at a total stock market index fund or an SMP five hundred index fund, or maybe a target date fund. Once you have that plan, ignore everything else. We want you to put the blinders on. We want you to limit the noise, especially when it comes to the different headlines that you read. But when the market is tanking, folks are like, do you batten down the hatches?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Like you are not interested in taking some of these risks. But like you were saying earlier, when things are booming, everybody feels brilliant, everybody feels rich, and they're thinking, ah, well, what else can I do in order to make this ride last even longer? Basically, and we that is the opposite of what you actually should be doing, And so while everyone else is out there figuring out different ways that they can invest in the latest sexy thing like and who knows what the next iteration of distracting investment opportunities are going to come down the pike, right like they'll come they, oh, they absolutely will, but they are not things that you need to be paying attention to. And so, yeah, we wanted to talk about the different ways that you can simplify how it is that you invest in. Truly, it does not need to be all that complicated.
Speaker 1: Agreed, and simple doesn't mean unsophisticated, right, Simple can still be diverse, and it can. It can give you exactly what you need without ever thinking if.
Speaker 2: You think the S and P five hundred NIX fund or the total stock market in NIX fund is unsophisticated, log into all of the different companies that make up sure that that fund consists of.
Speaker 1: Back to see and go back and listen maybe to our episode with Robin Wigglesworth about his book Trillions and how Jack Bobol kind of really started the index fund ye movement and it's been a powerful one. So yeah, it's investing is the one thing where the more effort you put in the worst your returns get typically simplicity makes a whole lot of sense. We'll link to that interview as well. Yeah, all right, Matt, let's mention as go back to the beer we had. This one is called Symptom of Progeny. It's a golden sour ale fermented with spontaneous culture. What were your thoughts on this one?
Speaker 2: I really like it.
Speaker 1: What do you think about it? I really like guess I say, it's like brightly tart, Chris. I know there's no fruit in this. It's got peach fuzzy elements. Oh yeah, big time, dude. So truly.
Speaker 2: I was curious because we've been drinking some really big, really sweet stouts from Burial recently, and because of that, this one almost seems like a touch to tart. But I think it's because of all the sweet beers that we've been drinking like this. It's still such a bright, crisp, refreshing, perfectly aged, perfectly oky golden ale. It's exactly what I want out of a golden golden ail. And it's there's I mean, there's a good reason why Kate and I mean, we picked up several bottles of us to bring back home to enjoy, because we certainly enjoyed this one.
Speaker 1: That it just makes me think Burial does some of the best beers in every genre.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, before we were talking about just how they're crushing it. They crush it with their their New England hazes and obviously there's stouts that we've been enjoying recently.
Speaker 1: But yes, this is a barely age sour. Do they make bad beers? I don't think so.
Speaker 2: Not completely knock out of the park. Yeah for sure.
Speaker 1: All right, that's gonna do it for this episode. You can find links to some of the stuff we mentioned up on the show notes at our website howtomoney dot com, and of course you can sign up for our how to Money newsletter. One came out just yesterday. You missed it, but you'll make the next one if you go sign up at hoda money dot com slash newsletter or.
Speaker 2: You didn't miss it because you're one of the select few, you're one of the chosen.
Speaker 1: No, it's growing, it's a growing list.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of people in there, but we just want we're not selective everybody to get anybody and everybody the free glory that is.
Speaker 1: The had of Money Newsletter. But that's right man, all right.
Speaker 2: So that's gonna be it for this one until next time. Best Friends Out, Best Friends Out,