Speaker 1: Welcome. It is Verdic with Ted Cruz, the Weekend Review, Ben Ferguson with you, and here are the big stories that you may have missed that we talked about. First up Centator Cruz and I went to the memorial for Charlie Kirk. We're going to talk about that memorial and just how incredible it was to watch that level of worship and honoring of God and the future legacy of Charlie Kirk. We're also going to talk about Jimmy Kimmel being fired, but not really. It was a four day vacation at ABC bringing him right back on the air. And finally, it is the third time we've seen us shooting alone in Texas, the second time in Dallas area with ICE agents being targeted. So what's behind it? We'll have that as well. It's the Weekend Review and it starts right now. One of the things I think that is so cool that came out of this that is just something that no one could have planned, is how many people are now sharing their own faith and sharing the gospel. You and I have talked more about our faith on this podcast in the last two weeks than we have ever before, and it's not that we're afraid to talk about our faith, but we talk a lot about what's happening in the world in politics. Jd Vance said, and.
Speaker 2: That was something really profound. Jad said as he said that he often felt uncomfortable talking about faith, and he made the same comment that he's talked more about faith in the last two weeks than he has probably in his entire life.
Speaker 1: And I mean even this morning. I had two times I was on Fox this morning before the before it started, and the entire conversation was not about politics. The entire conversation was about faith. Yeah, that his life being taken has given the opportunity for all of us to share faith. And I think in a more bold way, in a more proud way, and a more I'm not afraid to share my faith. I think sometimes I think I'm in the world of politics and that's maybe not my place to be doing that as much. I'm going to change my mentality on that, I think forever moving forward.
Speaker 2: And I can think of very few sentiments that would make Charlie happier than that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it was the whole time, it was about faith. If you look at today, I also think one of the most incredible things was you and I were sitting there with the most powerful people in the world, certainly in the conservative movement where we're all in the political world, and the entire thing was about God. I've never seen that before. I've never been a part of that before.
Speaker 2: No, And at the very end, President Trump spoke and he gave I think, very good remarks. But I want you to listen to what he said, in particular about Erica and her testimony. Here here, give a listen.
Speaker 3: Did Charlie's incredible and beautiful widow, Erica. We know the weight of this monumental loss is almost unbearable, but even in the midst of heartache campaign too great to even fathom, you have somehow found the strength and deep faith to be a comfort to millions and millions of people. And thank you very much, Erica, Thank you very much.
Speaker 1: You and I have seen Donald Trump give a lot of speeches. This was one of the most I think, somber, sincere and one of the most incredible speeches I think by Donald Trump that had nothing to really.
Speaker 4: Do with him.
Speaker 2: Well, and President Trump knew Charlie. Well, Charlie has spent a lot.
Speaker 1: I think he's rattled by it.
Speaker 2: Charlie. Charlie in the twenty sixteen campaign was Don Junior's body man. He traveled with Don Junior all over the country and Charlie helped mobilize young people for the twenty sixteen election. He helped mobilize young people for the twenty twenty election. He played a really, really integral part in the victory in twenty twenty four. And President Trump has spent a lot of time with Charlie Kirk. Just about everyone in the White House has. I mean, it was one of the things the entire White House has shaken. This is not some distant person they don't know. This touched almost everyone who works in the Trump administration had connections to Charlie, had personal connections, and they were shaken by it. And you know one of the bits of news that broke this week that I thought it was a small snippet, but it encapsulated who Charlie was well. And Van Jones, you and I both know, well he's very much a man of the left, maybe even far left. He's not someone who you would typically envision saying nice things about Charlie Kirk. But I want you to listen to what he said in the last few days about his last interaction with Charlie Kirk.
Speaker 5: Charlie Kirk and I were not friends at all. In fact, the last week of his life we were beef and hard, beefing online, beefing on air. But the day before he died, he did something that shocked me. He sent me a personal message calling for personal dialogue. Wanted me to come on the show. He said we could be gentlemen together. He said we could deal with our disagreements agreeably. And in the past week and a half, just watching people talk about civil wars and censorship and all this stuff coming out of his death, I just thought it was important to let people know don't put that on Charlie Kirk, because the last day of his life he was reaching out to have not more censorship, more conversation, more dialogue with somebody who honestly was one of his adversaries. Me and I just wanted to share that with the world, and I hope that maybe it might help somebody on both sides deal with issues more like he did.
Speaker 1: Then putting that out there immediately brought me to today. You and I were sitting there and we looked over to the right of us, and you leaned over and you said, there's Elon. And several weeks or months ago, Charlie had said that he wanted Donald Trump and Elon to make up. We then a few minutes later see Elon in the box with President Trump. They hugged the President, patted him on the chest, and he tweeted out a picture Elon did of them talking, and all it said was for Charlie.
Speaker 2: I mean, you want to.
Speaker 1: Talk about bringing people back together.
Speaker 2: That's incredible, that's important, it's valuable. It is very much a testament to Charlie. The legacy for Charlie. I will say, I respect Van Jones for putting that out. You know Van better than I do. But he didn't have to put that out. He didn't have to say that. And I do think it reflects who Charlie was, yea, And I think the entire memorial today reflected. It was a celebration of his life, and it was a proclamation of the gospel and that I'm really grateful to have been friends with Charlie. I'm really grateful to have a chance to be there for the celebration because I think it is going to have really profound impacts on our country.
Speaker 1: I think we're going to end up finding out down the road that today was one of the biggest days, not in politics with the biggest people in politics in a room, but one of the biggest days for young men and women accepting Christ and learning about the Lord from this horrific moment in our history. And I think you look at that bring all these people together, the way that he was doing it. I think it's going to change the way we have dialogue and conversation. I think my demeanor is probably gonna be different. I'm still going to fight the good fight, and I'm still going to fight hard, but I want to have better conversations while doing it. I think everybody's temperature is going to change a little bit and how we interact the way that Charlie did it. And I left there today, and I don't know. I want to ask you this as we wrap. I left there today more hopeful for the future of this country, yes, than I have been in decades, and more hopeful for the younger generation in this country that they're going to see the light because I've been very worried for quite some time. It's part of the reason why I do this is that we have lost an entire generation to the radical left. I think we are seeing a very quick pendulum shift that only God could create and put people in a place to do it.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. You know, I'm reminded of the Scripture, second Chronicle seven fourteen. If my people, who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sins, and I will heal their land. That has been my prayer for a long time, and I think today was, in a very real sense, a great many people in America calling out for God to hear our prayer and to heal our land. And I pray that that is the outcome the path we are on, that we see revival. Our country needs it now.
Speaker 1: If you want to hear the rest of this conversation, you can go back and listen to the full podcast from earlier this week. Now onto story number two. All right, I want to pay you real quick to something that just truly is hysterical, and that is ABC News. We thought they had actually done the right thing, and we're willing to say that, Yet no Jimmy Kimmel, You're not going to go out there and lie about who assassinated and what they believed in of Charlie Kirk. We now know that the sin for doing that, for that crime is a sentence of going on a vacation for about six days, so less than a week. And ABC News like, all right, we started back up on Tuesday night. Now here's the other interesting thing. Not everybody's going along with this. Next Star and Sinclair are saying no, they're not.
Speaker 2: Going to be hearing it.
Speaker 1: They want a real apology for him before they think about putting him back on the air. Your reaction to that.
Speaker 2: Well, you and I are recording this show Tuesday night, and as we're recording it, Kimmel has not yet gone on air, So I don't know what he's going to say. He might do all sorts of things. He might stand up up and give a heartfelt apology. He might admit that in his last show he told a lie, he engaged in active disinformation. His sort of joke, which wasn't remotely funny, was that the murderer of Charlie Kirk was a right wing maga guy. Now that's a lie, and it's a lie. With consequence. I mean, we've seen the polling that shows a majority of Democrats believe Charlie Kirk's killer was a right winger. Now that is a brazen lie. Charlie Kirk's killer was radicalized. He was a leftist. Law enforcement has said this over and over again. He was living with his boyfriend who was a transgender, who was a furry, who was a man transitioning to be a woman. The killer engraved Antifa and transgender slogans on the casings that he used for the assassination. So there's no ambiguity. This is a man of the left. And so maybe, maybe, just maybe, and I may be holding out hope. Kimmel stands up and gives a heartfelt apology, says I'm sorry, and what happened to Charlie Kirk was horrific. It was a political assassination. It is wrong, and it's clear this was not some right winger who did this. This was a leftist. This is my side of the aisle. This is Jimmy Kimmel speaking, and I'm sorry. If that happens. I think the odds are very very high. You and I almost regardless of what happens, are going to be talking about this on Friday's pod. So on Friday, we'll know what he said. We don't know what he said right now. I think that's unlikely. Maybe I'll be proven wrong, but I think it's unlikely that Kimmel. He may give a half hearted apology. He may say I'm sorry some people were offended. Maybe I actually think he's more likely to be defiant and say, to hell with you everyone who was offended by the lies that I told. But we'll see what I will say. Look my view on Kimmel, I think he is profoundly unfunny. He hasn't been funny in years. There was a long time ago when he could be a comedian, a thousand years ago, but then partisanship and hate overcame him, and his show consists of just relentlessly screaming I hate Donald Trump. I hate Donald Trump, I hate Conservatives, I hate Republicans. By the way, frequently, I hate Ted Cruz. Ever since I beat him at basketball, I've lived rent free in his head. And the problem is, listen, I'm as a Republican, I'm actually fine with comedy that is roasting Republicans and Democrats. I think good comedy makes fun of everyone. Actually, today I retweeted, so John Stewart did a whole riff on the Daily Show blasting me, and it was funny as hell. He actually played a clip from our last Verdict uh where you know where where I talked about Kim Olenna and I did an impression of of of of a godfather. Actually, I'll tell you what. Let's play John Stewart because this is actually comedy.
Speaker 3: Listen.
Speaker 2: I don't agree with John Stewart's politics, but Stuart is actually funny. I mean he makes me laugh and and and and so let's play the clip. I'm gonna play clip. This is making fun of me. But to all our Verdict listeners, this is me playing John Stewart, just mocking me, and he does a very good job. He's a talented comedian. I'm perfectly fine with with with comedians who mock me, as long as that's not all they do, as long as they don't just scream I hate you, I hate you, I hate you. But but they're actually funny. So here was John Stewart on the Daily Show talking about it. He's gonna quote Verdict and then he's just gonna mercilessly mock me give a listen.
Speaker 6: Now, Cruz has supported this president through insults to his own wife looks, and to his own father's loyalties, and yet Cruz still manages to maintain a modicum of self respect when it comes to this president trampling all over a constitution, Sir, it brings me no pleasure.
Speaker 4: To have to play this.
Speaker 2: Look. I like Brendan Carr. He's a good guy. He's the chairman of the FCC. I work closely with him. But what he said there is dangerous as hell.
Speaker 4: Fan TASTI fan pasthi, Senator Ted Cruz, boldly stating that the FCC chairman threatening the licenses of networks is dangerous. And Senator Cruz, I would just say, maybe you should stop there. I would stop there. I would not continue with the thought perfect no notes, all right, go.
Speaker 2: On, And I got to say, he threatens it. He says, we can do this thease way, or we could do this the hard.
Speaker 4: Way, the sort of routed the hard way.
Speaker 1: Oh what kind of monster.
Speaker 4: Have you ever heard? We could do that did way?
Speaker 1: God, we could do it.
Speaker 6: By god way, hazy odd.
Speaker 4: It's nothing, Godfather, that Lenny from Mice and Men.
Speaker 6: I get bunny.
Speaker 4: The bunny can do a dasy the hard way. You got you got more, Senator? Do you?
Speaker 2: And I got to say, that's right out of good Fellows. That that that that that that's right out of a mafioso coming into a bar going nice bye. You have here. It'd be a shame if something happened to it.
Speaker 4: That's not a good Fellaw's call. I know this because all of my decorative pillows have good fellas called karma. I mean I would go home. I would say, as me at home.
Speaker 2: Look at me.
Speaker 4: Now, Senator, unless a man might tell you to go home and get your shine box. But I don't because you wouldn't even know what that means.
Speaker 6: Dead cruise. I mean to do that with goodfellas, but that accent. Is there anything in pop culture that I love that you can't ruin?
Speaker 2: Dad? I'm a vegetarian. I don't eat animals, but Lisa, animals are so delicious. There's the animal. We get bacon from the animal, we get ham from the animal, we get sausage from dad. That's all the same animal.
Speaker 1: Smith has release the hounds eggs.
Speaker 4: They're not booing, they're saying boo earns. Imagine having to endure a Texas power outage with this guy who wants to hear my poo anyway, Well, he ruined my love of the sentence. At least I've still got my favorite franchise, Star Wars, all to myself, So I don't have the force is strong with this storm.
Speaker 2: There is no try.
Speaker 1: Do or do not.
Speaker 4: At best, he sounds like Yoda with a sinus infection, trying not to come. Dore Duke, you may enjoy Star Wars that Christ, but there's one thing will never have in common, and that's my comfort movie. The Princess Bride, a fantastical tale of adventure and true love with an outstanding cast. Oh you know what's coming. You know what's coming with an outstanding cast, including the inimitable Oh it just roll it.
Speaker 2: So what does it you have that's so worth living for presses on his chest and Wesley goes true liar, shut up, witch, I'm not a witch. I'm your wife. But after what you just said, I wish I wasn't. Don't say that name what pumping, pumpting, hopping, humpet it. I can't hear you?
Speaker 4: So whoa that was the straight But oh I'm like, oh, the one man. So do you know how hard it is to make Mario Lopez uncomfortable? Truely, Mario Lopez, the man who need I remind you did this dance in a tank tee in front of everyone at the Max.
Speaker 1: All Right, I gotta say I'm laughing a little bit because it is pretty good roast. I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 2: Look, Ben, that's hysterical. I do like to do impressions. I'm not particularly great at him, but I have fun and I like pop culture. But like, that's actual comedy. Like I'm gonna make a prediction right now. What John Stewart just did there is one hundred thousand times funnier than whatever Jimmy Kimmel will do tonight. So we'll see what he does. But look, the point that I made in this podcast is the federal government, the FCC, should not be threatening the licenses of ABC in order to force them to take someone off the air, even someone incredibly unfunny with terrible ratings who gets one point one million views, which means he gets fewer views and listens than Verdict. Does we beat Jimmy Kimmel regularly, and someone who was actively lying about a political assassination. I think all of those are reasons for ABC to fire him, But I don't think the federal government should be forcing ABC to fire him. Why because look, when Biden was president, the Biden FCC tried to yank Fox News's license, and I led the fight against it. We beat them, we stopped them from doing it. You know what, if we embrace the FCC stripping licenses from anyone who says something you disagree with, the next Democrat president who gets in the White House will do this, and will come after, will come after everyone right of center, and so that is that is a slippery slope to oblivion. But at the same time, understand, just because I'm saying the federal government shouldn't force Kimmel off the air, I think market forces should. And it's interesting that that sixty six ABC stations did not carry the Kimmel program tonight. And if there are enough market forces, ABC ultimately will respond to them. I think market forces are a great check for horrific, unfunny, partisan, dishonest speech. And by the way, if you're dishonest enough, there could also be legal liability and litigation and all sorts of consequences that come when you lie on air. I just don't think it should be government regulators saying we don't agree with the politics of your speech, so we're taking your license. But that being said, the world is better off without an unfunny, dishonest left wing partisan who lies to the American people. And sadly, there was a time when Jimmy Kimmel could be funny, but that's what he has become.
Speaker 1: Yeah, great point, as before. If you want to hear the rest of this conversation on this topic, you can go back and dow the podcast from early this week to hear the entire thing. I want to get back to the big story number three of the week. You may have missed, Senator, you were in Dallas when this shooting happened. It was eight hours after we watched Gavin Newsom go on late night TV demonizing ICE agents, saying that they are authoritarian. And then the liberals are like, wait, wait, we're not attacking ICE agents. Yes they are. They've undermined them, they've demonized them, and we were watching attack after attack happen against ICE agents. It's horrific.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was in Dallas this week for a series of unrelated meetings, and the news broke that this strange gunman had opened fire on an ICE facility in Dallas. That he had gone onto a rooftop emulating Charlie Kirk's assassin and with a bolt action rifle fired multiple rounds, ended up killing two people severely injuring a third. And then then he took the gun to himself and took his own life. And it was horrific. When the news broke, I canceled my morning meeting and just drove over to the ICE facility that morning was there, was there shortly after the shooting had occurred. And this has happened far too often. Here's what I had to say at the press conference that was ongoing when I arrived at the facility. If this needs to stop, violence is wrong, Politically motivated violence is wrong. It was two weeks ago today that we saw political assassination in Utah that tore the heart out of much of this country. This is the third shooting in Texas directed at ICE or CBP. This must stop. To every politician who is using rhetoric demonizing ICE and demonizing CBP, stop to every politician demanding that ICE agents be dosed and calling for people to go after their families. Stop. This has very real consequences. Look in America, we disagree. That's fine, that's the democratic process. But your political opponents are not Nazis. We need to learn to work together without demonizing each other, without attacking each other. And I want to say thank you. I want to say thank you to the brave men and women of law enforcement. I want to say thank you to the brave men and women of ICE and CBP and everyone who puts their lives on the lines to keep us safe. The divisive rhetoric tragically has real consequences. I hope that every one of us will I hope that every one of us will pray Number one, for the safety of law enforcement that are risking their lives to keep us safe. Number two, for the health of those who were shot and injured. Today we still don't know the full details of who was injured, but for the families also of the victims of this shooting. Violence has no place, It is wrong, and we should come together. If we want to have a debate of an immigration policies, we can do so in the halls of Congress without demonizing each other, and especially without demonizing the men and women who every day put on a badge and go risk their lives to keep us safe. And we should not be putting language out there that inspires mad men to commit evil crimes. Our prayers are with the men and women of law enforcement, and we ought to come together and have some decency across the political aisle to say this violence is wrong and it needs to stop.
Speaker 1: We know Senator a lot about this gunman. We know that he was googling the shooting of our friend whose funeral we just went to, Charlie Kirk. We know that he was looking at the app that they put out there and these websites where you can track ICE agents which is doccent where they are.
Speaker 2: That is an app designed to encourage violence against ICE agents and law enforcement. And whether it's Gavin Newsom or a Keen Jeffries or any any other Democrat who is encouraging this targeting of ICE agents, it is fundamentally wrong and that they need to stand up and stop it. You know, I will say this shooter, it's the news has since come out. This shooter his mother was a hard leftist who actually had been vocally critical of me and other Texas Republicans for not in brace seeing gun control and in fact, in May of twenty twenty two, she posted the following, Governor Abbot, Senator Cornyn, and Senator Cruz, how does it feel that your action to open up gun laws is responsible for the killing of twenty one more people? Do you secretly sit in front of a TV and smile with a demented smile. You must be proud of all the money that sits in your bank accounts from the gun lobby support. Was it worth it? Governor Abbot? How about you senators? When you prioritize money over people, this is what you get. And I will say the irony is rich that this leftist mom who was championing gun control now her son has committed a mass murder as a sniper. It is tragic and it is a consequence of extreme rhetoric, extreme ideology that is poisoning the minds of those who are driven to violence. And I will say this assassin wrote on his shell case anti ice very much, emulating what Charlie Kirk's murderer did, writing pro Antifa and pro transgender propaganda on he'll shell casings. And we need to stop this violence, regardless of where your politics are, but we need to stop the rhetoric that is fueling this violence. And there's a lot of Democrat politicians engaging in this rhetoric, no matter how many lives are lost. And I want to be clear, I am not calling them Nazis. I am absolutely opposing any violence or calls to violence. I'm calling on them to tone down their rhetoric and stop demonizing their opponent, stop demonizing ice, stop demonizing law enforcement, because it's dangerous and tragically, lunatics are acting on the rhetoric they're hearing from these politicians.
Speaker 1: As always, thank you for listening to Verdict with Center Ted Cruz Ben Ferguson with you don't forget to dealt with my podcast and you can listen to my podcast every other day you're not listen to Verdict or each day when you listen to Verdict. Afterwards, I'd love to have you as a listener to again the Ben Ferguson podcasts, and we will see you back here on Monday morning.