Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys Let's go. Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 4: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 5: Absolutely?
Speaker 3: Ready for a break?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 7: And so much for that. It's time for the Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com.
Speaker 3: We were on.
Speaker 8: With Ambar Garcia, Brian brought us, Patrick Walker and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 2: It is Wednesday, April third, twenty twenty four, Season twenty, episode number one. This is welcome to the first edition of this season of The Break, presented by LG. We got a brand new sponsor for the beginning of this season. LG's new sponsor of the show, and so we'll be bringing you lots of content this this season that will be presented by LG. So, how's everybody doing today? We're good.
Speaker 3: Number one.
Speaker 2: It is episode number one of this season. So we're in twenty sea. This is our twentieth season. I'm doing Cowboys Break, all right, and this is episode number one.
Speaker 4: That's kind of a big deal.
Speaker 2: Kind of a big deal.
Speaker 9: And by the way, there's timetable here, like why today.
Speaker 2: April just begin? This a new fiscal year for the NFL that would be when we flipped the number of stress.
Speaker 3: So there you go, the one consistent. He said, twenty years.
Speaker 9: Shut your dumb No, I.
Speaker 2: Was not saying it like that.
Speaker 3: I'm giving you the information. One consists about twenty years.
Speaker 4: Bacib strikes of it.
Speaker 10: Yeah, for sure, fairst of all the twenty years.
Speaker 2: Actually, I will say this, there was a brief period. I can't remember the year. There was a brief period when we're still back at Valley Ranch. Yeah, when I got off the show because I was like, I got too much business work to get done. Sure, uh, and then we lost somebody. I think that was when Rowan left and I was like, I don't have anybody, just put on the show. So I got back on the show. And then I just kind of was like, do it.
Speaker 3: Me, Mickey Rowing and uh City Drso I.
Speaker 2: Thought that would have been talking cowboys.
Speaker 3: That was talking cowboys.
Speaker 2: And I think when I got off the show, I thought we pulled Rowing off. I thought we pulled Rowing over to Break and I got off of the Break and I was off for maybe maybe like it was in the off season, I think, And I think it may have been for like a few months. And by the time we got to that next season, I was right back in.
Speaker 3: And I remember, I remember working with all those folks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was fun.
Speaker 2: Actually, speaking of which, one of the things I kind of want to do this year and I haven't decided if and how I'm going to do it, but I want to consider it being our twentieth season, trying to bring some of the folks that have been a part of the Break over the years back for some episodes. It would be really cool. I know DIA's back in town now with my Bill Bringer.
Speaker 3: It's kind of a fun June project when you got nothing going on.
Speaker 2: We got a lot of people that have been around it will get Helm and the call in a bit. You know he's in la I don't know if he'll be in town, but you know, get him and rolled through and.
Speaker 3: Help me out. First, the first thing you put Helman on was the Draft show yep.
Speaker 10: And when he first cart everyody's like, I don't know about this guy looks kind of goofy.
Speaker 3: You know, I don't want to I'm like, I need.
Speaker 2: He grew a beer and he was like, oh you kind of college school.
Speaker 10: I'll take him. You know, LSU guy, you gotta take care of less you guys.
Speaker 2: But well he took care of you.
Speaker 3: Oh, he took care of you.
Speaker 10: I'll tell you what, seriously, I would never take another job.
Speaker 2: In writing unless you can bring him.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 10: He literally every year he was here, he read every story, edited every story, every even after all the stories he wrote in the game, he would edit my stories. That's crazy. And he's like, man, you got a little better at write it a little better. And bro, I'm just glad you're here.
Speaker 2: And still this day the image you have of him is sitting there looking at his computer, rubbing his eye.
Speaker 10: Yeah, he goes, tell goes, you actually made a very coherent sentence there, Brian.
Speaker 3: Really good for you. Way to go, you know.
Speaker 10: And I'm like, I write like a scout, you know, dash whatever and all that. And he he would make all that work.
Speaker 3: And I do I owe.
Speaker 2: Him everything unless you guys take care of you.
Speaker 3: We try, I gotta.
Speaker 2: I gotta say that.
Speaker 3: Takes two guys to work one story, but.
Speaker 2: We but we may try that. We may try to pull in some of our old break hosts and have them join our show a few times this year with it being our twentieth year celebration, and maybe at some point we'll have some kind of big celebration that nice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that will be nice.
Speaker 2: Could taken sure, I'll do that. I will take us all at dinner.
Speaker 4: I could do that.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to turn down.
Speaker 3: He never turned down, but I just throw it out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we can do that. All right, Let's jump in. Let's talk Chris is like.
Speaker 10: I mean, Chris the smoke drink right right right with the smoke because the smoke out of the whiskey glass.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and a new fridge Homebamer. All right, let's talk.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about thirty visits they are starting this week. And uh, I guess first, Patrick, give me kind of an idea of what who we can expect some of the names that are kind of out there that we've reported that are that are gonna be here this week.
Speaker 8: Okay, So thank you for putting me right on the spot. I got the nation, so let me just pull it up. All right, So what's been reported and I'll just go quickly unit by unit.
Speaker 4: So for offensive line, we.
Speaker 8: Have Matt gon Kelviy's the beloved Jackson Powers Johnson.
Speaker 4: That's a big, big name.
Speaker 8: We got Fuega out of Oregon State and Graham Barton out of Duke. Those are your reported offensive line official thirty visits. And again for those that aren't aware, those start today running backs. Reported running backs. We got Jonathan Brooks. That's a big name to keep an eye on. I know, there you go. You want to say, hook them, you.
Speaker 4: Got hook them? There you go, all right.
Speaker 8: Braylan Allen out of Wiscott, Wisconsin, he's one. Bucky Irving out of Oregon, Trey Benson out of Florida State. That those they reported running backs. There are others, but we're working to confirm those names. Who else we got defensive line? We got Darius Robinson out of Missouri. He's a reported one. Keep an eye on a guy like Byron Murphy. We're working to confirm that he's an official thirty visit. Linebackers. This is a massive group that the Cowboys are focusing on. As are running backs, but linebackers. Edren Cooper Texas A and m the Aggie, Peyton Wilson, North Carolina State, Trevin Wallace out of Kentucky Junior Coast in Michigan, Jordan McGee, Temple, Nathaniel Watson Mississippi State, and again those are what's reported those would have been confirmed. The other names and we have several of those that I will refrain from at the moment until we can get confirmation. But a lot going on starting today with the Cowboys and the official thirties, and.
Speaker 2: It's a lot of a lot of players that will be coming through. And to be noted, the Cowboys are traditionally they'll get they'll get some of these guys. You'll see them draft these guys they bring in. So it is worth noting what stands out to you about these names, Brians. You look at these names, what kind of pops out as you, whether it's particular players or particular positions.
Speaker 10: Yeah, of Fuaga, the tackle might be the best tackle in the draft. And I know that people talk about alt from Notre Dame. Fuaga is from Oregon State. Surprising, you know to me that immediately when I heard the name. Very well in great job by Dallas Cowboys dot Com getting those names together and getting them out. Nick Harris has done a tremendous job on the Draft show as well. And but the first thing that came to mind is that's a trade up guy right there. That's not a wait till twenty four and get guy.
Speaker 3: That is it. That is if you're you're going to have to go.
Speaker 10: There are teams that have him and I've talked to that have him as the best tackle in the draft.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 2: You know, he would be top ten.
Speaker 10: And that you know, I thought the landing spot for him would be at the at the lowest would be the Jets at ten. You know, they went and got Tyron Smith. We've talked about Tyron Smith going there. Uh, but Fuaga is a tremendous player. Could play guard, could play tackle, He's athletic, he's powerful.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 10: You know that those are the kinds of things I mean, that's that. That was one of those that I'm like thinking there's something up there because I just don't think you're gonna get him at twenty four. Powers Johnson, the center from Oregon, is dealing with some medical things. They checked him out at the Combine. You're starting to see him some mock drafts of some of the prominent mock drafters are keeping him out of the first round. So what's happening is the scout media scouts are starting to catch up with what went on at the Combine with some of the medical stuff.
Speaker 4: Here do you know what kind of medical.
Speaker 3: It's some things that need to be checked.
Speaker 10: I have an idea. I want to get some things confirmed what he has. I don't want to sit here and then say, well, he's got this and it's actually not, because yeah, there's a couple of things though. That again, talking to my gang of seven around the league, talking to people, some trainers around the league. There's some things that have to be checked there. So hopefully we'll get that done before the night of the draft. Barton is another one that's dealing with now. I know for a fact he's doing with some shoulder stuff because at the combine excuse me, at his pro day at Duke, he had he couldn't do any of the pushing drills anything, you know, with extension. Uh, he didn't bench press. So he's dealing with a shoulder that he's having fixed. Brooks, we know from Texas, is dealing with the knee. Tremendous player him, Benson, Allen Irving. All these backs, they're hunting backs right now. As you can see, they're also, as Patrick told you, they're hunting linebackers.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 10: Let me let me give you a name that I really really really like out of this whole thing when you when you start to talk about linebackers, especially inside linebackers. Uh, you know Cooper's outstanding from from Texas A and M. But this Travian Wallace from Kentucky is a bad man at six and thirty seven pounds. Uh, you don't have to take And I'm sorry, I'm not turning this into the draft show. I'm just telling you they're bringing in dudes that can play football, and that's the whole idea. You know, Hey, maybe you haven't heard a lot about Wallace at Kentucky. If you have the opportunity, take a peek at him and you'll you'll you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. It doesn't take long to fire find him on tape. You don't have to ask what number he is. You see him right there. But that's him, that's him. That's him again. So he can finish when he gets in position. He doesn't get fooled by running plays. He's physical at the point of attack. He's a team captain, emotional leader, there's so many things. He's twenty one years old too, and he plays like you hope he's on your team is.
Speaker 2: He's a one starter type guy.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 10: Absolutely, he's a plug and play guy. This is this guy mean because he's got such a feel for how to play, whether you put him in coverage or you know, like he understands like sometimes the linebackers they drop and they kind of just float around. He's a drop I see what you're trying to do behind me and get over guy. You know that a lot of yeah, you know, and Mike Simmerpool. When I know about Mike, Mike wants guys. If Mike, Mike will tell you this, if he if it's a smaller guy, you want to be able to have that elite awareness like what that win had. That's you know, if you're going to be a shorter guy, be elite with your ability to your instincts and things like that. If you're a bigger guy, if you have instincts, you have size, you have ability to play at the point of attack. You can help me in coverage, you can occasionally blitch you that. That's this makes perfect sense for a Mike zimmer type of linebacker that we're dealing with.
Speaker 2: See a first round or second round guy, Like I.
Speaker 10: Think he's more to me. I feel like that when I had him on my board was in the second round. But the thing about him is though him and Wilson, Peyton Wilson from North Carolina State, maybe another name that I don't think you said, Peyton Wilson from UH from North Carolina State. If you didn't, don't, I might be a name that you hear about here in the next few days.
Speaker 3: I don't. I don't know. But the thing about the thing about these guys.
Speaker 4: They're very Yes, yes, he's confirmed.
Speaker 10: Okay, Peyton Wilson, Wallace. Keep an eye on these cats, both of them. Instincts downhill players, tough, make every single tackle, play well in coverage. Healthy, not as healthy as Wallace, Okay, dealing with some stuff there, and that's maybe what keeps him out of the first round. But that might give you the opportunity to to me, Wilson could be a trade back guy, you know, if you drop back, if you know, say say for example, we get in this draft and all of a sudden, you know, Baltimore.
Speaker 3: Calls you, you know, are Buffalo.
Speaker 10: Calls you at twenty eight, and you could pick up their their third they're into the round. Third, Baltimore calls you at thirty, you could pick up the end of the round third for them, you don't have a fourth.
Speaker 3: Those are trade back options right there.
Speaker 10: The way the Cowboys have got this thing set up, Like I say, Fuaga is a go up. Some of the these other guys might be. Okay, we're in kind of no man's land right now. We're between our second round pick and our first round pick if we go back a certain level. We got to get this guy because we can't get him back at fifty six. So the list that they're bringing in I applaud them for what they're doing right now.
Speaker 2: But two things worry me about. You put these injury together. Linebacker in injury like you look at and especially if you start looking second round, just think about the litany of second round of linebackers the Cowboys who came in the door already injured. That that wire great play. I mean they had the ability for fear, they were great, had the ability, but just couldn't get over that injury bug, right, And that's the part that really concerned me. And by the way, I'm starting to wonder if it's just linebackers like that. That is a high collision position, right, and it's going to be hard to find people who aren't injured.
Speaker 9: But given with how much is a stake this year, how much because of the cap, how much they're going to have to rely on the draft? Is this a draft for maybe they don't take those types of risks in because we know in the time in the second round they take it. Yeah, they've draft drafted players that fall back to the second round because of injuries or whatever. They take him and then sometimes they turned out to be good talent, but we know the risk in that and how long that takes. So is this a draft that maybe they're not willing to do some kind of don't.
Speaker 8: I don't know that they're going to depart from their their annual way of handling things. And I say that to say I don't think that Will McLay is looking at it as, Okay, I need the best possible draft pick at every possible selection this year. Because he looks at that the same way last year, the year prior, he'll look at it the same way next year. So I think his approach is going to be the same. But I also do think that it matters what the position is that and who the player is. So if you look at Jonathan Brooks, for example, one of the reasons they're interested in Jonathan Brooks is not only because obviously he's a dynamic talent on the field, but guess who did his his procedure for his torn a cl same thing. So when they have that type of information and that type of insight, I think that makes them feel like it's less of a risk having that information.
Speaker 4: So it's it's contextual.
Speaker 8: But I don't think that this is a situation where will McClain his scops go into the offseason saying, oh, well, we got to change things up.
Speaker 10: This is the scary thing. And I'm not trying to be the wet blanket guy. You're dealing with a lot of coaches that are on one year deals. Are you drafting for coaches that are on one year deals? Or are you thinking about the fact that, like a lot of your depth went flying out this door. You know, you got to think about And I know a guy like I say on Mike Zamra, I know how Mike operates. Mike is a bring me whoever you got guy, I'll coach you. I'll tell you what I like in a player, just but bring me guys. You know McCarthy has come out recently and talked on some media opportunities and said, I'm a draft and development guy. That's his background At Green Bay. Teddy Thompson picked the players Mike. The coaches stayed back. Mike really trusted Ted and what those guys do. I think Mike trust Will and this crew to find players for him. I know from my experience working in this front office, though, that the Jones family will allow the head coach to have his say, whether you want to take it or not. Dave Campo, you know, Chan Gaily, whoever they the head coach does have a say, But Mike has been conditioned himself to take a step back let them do their jobs.
Speaker 3: But you do wonder, you do wonder is how.
Speaker 10: Much influence will coaches have on this draft, knowing that potentially it could be a completely different staff. But that's something you always, you know, you think about. You just got to go out and like Patrick said, you go out, you have a plan for what you want to do, You get your players, you go forward, and you hope that you know, everything works out. But that's a little bit of the danger right now with everybody being on that on that one.
Speaker 9: Deal, and on top of that, I think you have to add. And I know they try to block out outside noise and you're not gonna allow it outside noise to affect kind of what you do in this type of business. But at the same time, I wonder if the amount of pressure that they felt surrounding the Cowboys, from the fan base, from the critics, everywhere, all around the media this off season, does that change into maybe the strategy that they're used to in drafting for the future.
Speaker 2: Really, I don't think that has one even small amount of difference, makes one small bit about a difference to the people that are making the decision. I don't think they care one bit what is the national narrative or whatever. I think at the end of the day, they feel confident in Will McLay and Will McClay feels confident in his evaluation and the evaluation of his team to where I don't yeah, and I don't think that at all is impacted by what people think of it.
Speaker 10: It's not the outside pressure. It's the eternal pressure of.
Speaker 3: Not signed free agents. That's that's a legitimate.
Speaker 2: Pressure because of what it means, like what it's left you.
Speaker 10: Now put a lot of pressure on two areas. One area is the draft. The second area is undrafted free agents. The one thing that Jones family will do is they will pony up for you. Look at all the undrafted guy. Look at what they've done.
Speaker 3: TJ.
Speaker 4: Bass.
Speaker 10: Guys like that that they the money that they've spent. They will spend money on undrafted free agents. You know why those guys are on their draft board.
Speaker 3: TJ.
Speaker 10: Bass like a fifth round guy. All of a sudden, he goes through the whole draft, nobody takes them. We got to have that guy. We thought enough of him. You know, they're willing to do that. This puts a lot of pressure on them because of what happened in last year's draft. You know, and we'll see what happens with Mazie and you know, Schoolmaker and those guys. We'll see what happens with Overshown. You know, you still got to give it a chance. But the thing that now is it's like, okay, we can't have back to back non productive drafts. And then also they have to have to kind of get all that depth back. They're gonna have to figure out something too about those undrafted free agents. That's the next that's gonna be instead of just signing guys off the street right now, that's your next best source draft and then get those undrafted free agents. Now you've got twenty something guys that could potentially make a difference on your roster.
Speaker 2: And not to get too far into draft talk, but it also makes me wonder if they're going to be looking even more so this year for opportunities to trade back and get more picks. It just gives them more cracks at it gives them more bodies in the building. I think that could be another strategy where they're trying to fill in the depth that they've lost in free agency, is by getting more picks to do it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, we talked about it yesterday, just kind of offline where it was like the Cowboys they really want that fourth round pick back. They really want that back, and I think they're going to go into the draft trying to figure out how to get that back. So I do expect at least one trade back, maybe Day one, early day two. They're going to trying to get them a fourth round a.
Speaker 10: Minute, go back for spots, You grab you a third if you want, no doubt.
Speaker 2: All right, we're going to take our first break. We win and come back, and I got some questions for you guys about kind of where the Cowboys sit heading into the draft, post free agency, or at least the first round free agency, where they sit, what their biggest losses are, and some areas where they have some strength that maybe they can can look to exploit. We'll talk about that when we come back. This is Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 11: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 6: Five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com Slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 1: Cowboys fans, after that move, we've just coined the term rowdy replay.
Speaker 2: Let's roll back the table.
Speaker 4: Okay, there's our man, Scott rowdy cheering on.
Speaker 8: The boys, and now he's on his phone on his Bank of America Mobile Banking App.
Speaker 1: Staying on top of his finances with his virtual financial Assistant Erica.
Speaker 8: Bank of America's digital tools are so impressive, Cowboys fans just can't stop banking. Learn more at Bank of America dot com. Slash Can't Stop Banking Everica.
Speaker 3: It is only available in the English language. Must download the latest version of the Mobile bank app.
Speaker 2: Only available on select mobile devices. Message in dat ragsy apply number FDIC.
Speaker 5: Welcome back into Dear Doctor, the show where I answer life's questions with an ice cold can of doctor Pepper. Sheila, let's hear from my next caller.
Speaker 3: Would you, Dear doctor?
Speaker 2: My friend supported me during a tough time. But what's the right gift that says thanks for.
Speaker 5: Being the souldier to cry out? Okay, this one's easy, I say, give her a delicious doctor Pepper. Nothing says thanks good better than one of a kind soda. Yes, any doctor Pepper flavor will do.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 5: Just a reminder that I don't need to be a real doctor to know that doctor Pepper is the one you deserve.
Speaker 7: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and.
Speaker 4: Off the field.
Speaker 7: Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official Agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit Unitedagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 10: Back to the Break, settle up for the Country Sip and Stroll in the Star District on April seventeenth. Enjoy theme SIPs and bytes, country music, photo moments, gift shopping, exclusive offers, complementary Western takeaways, and more. Featured over fifteen participating shops restaurants in the Star District. Get your ticket at the Stardistrict dot com.
Speaker 3: Welcome Back.
Speaker 2: It is the second segment of the Break presented by LG. We are live from the SBbc Mortgage Studios at the Star and this segment is brought to you by blockchain dot Com. All right, so let's jump in. Uh, here's what I wanted to to talk about let's talk or actually, before we get to that, we just got some breaking news. We'll go to Let's go to Patrick and get that that break news. That's old school. Most people don't get that, right. I got that coming.
Speaker 4: Through on the wire, right.
Speaker 8: Cowboys have officially agreed to terms with swing tackle Tonydogas. So this will be a second a second goal for cho Manydoga with the Cowboys. It's on a one year deal through twenty twenty four. Does this absolutely guarantee Edoga spot. No, he will be up against whomever the Cowboys decide to pick in the draft, assuming they go at tackle, and then of course we'll see what happens in undrafted free agency. But still an uphill battle for a doga between mini camp, training camp, preseason. He's gonna have to earn his roster spot. But as it stands, he's got one on the team.
Speaker 2: And I still say keep an eye on Tyler Smith. I don't think it's a done deal after Tyring isn't coming back. I just say keep an eye on it.
Speaker 3: We'll see what a first moving this.
Speaker 2: As far as moving to tackle.
Speaker 3: I do I feel like that the.
Speaker 2: Draft, that draft is going to dictate.
Speaker 3: I think the draft will dictate that, all right, So.
Speaker 2: Here's what I want to do. I want to I want you guys to think about these names. And by the way, you could throw in another name if you choose. But if you had to say one player was the biggest loss for Dallas in free agency, a guy that signed somewhere else, that was here last year, who would you say it is. I'll throw out some names. Dorn's Armstrong, Tyler Biattish, Tyron Smith, Tony Pollard, Dante Fowler, Jonathan Hankins.
Speaker 4: It's Tyron Smith for me, and I get what you're saying.
Speaker 8: I know you're you're gung ho, and I'm not mad at that your gung ho about the Tyler Smith to left tackle.
Speaker 4: I get it. We've had the conversation.
Speaker 8: My only thing was, and I know I've heard Brian say this before, so I think we're on the same page with this.
Speaker 4: Correct me if I'm wrong.
Speaker 8: It's not that we we aren't in on that, because we're in on that, but it's the fact that the team has shown such adversity. I'm such an adverse reaction to me. You don't think that will that I don't feel like I should spend that innergy that's thinking about it.
Speaker 4: That's what I mean.
Speaker 8: But I feel like if that holds true and they are still so verse to possibly moving because even when you hear Mike McCarthy speak from the owners meetings, he basically said, well, yeah, it's an option, but the way he downplayed it was like, that's not our first, second, the third option.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 8: So that being said, if that holds true, then the loss of Tyrone Smith weighs very large for me because who's your left tackle? If you keeping tid I'm gonna pass it off. You almost got me fired. And my boss is the one asking the question, trying to I'll tell you all jokes aside, he's not your answer starting to left tackle.
Speaker 2: Your leader quotquote.
Speaker 3: Unemployment office, I man just yanked the wheel on it.
Speaker 9: Know.
Speaker 8: So if they hold firm on well, depending on how the draft shakes out, I think the answer is in the draft. If you don't get your answer in the draft, you're in huge trouble period.
Speaker 4: Bottom line.
Speaker 2: But as Brian has told us, this is a very deep draft for tackle there. If you don't get in the first round, you might not.
Speaker 4: Just you have to find your insight at some point in the draft. Yeah. Yeah, and it doesn't have to be day one, but you have to find us get.
Speaker 2: About awesome too. I do think that's something we should keep an eye on.
Speaker 3: Sure.
Speaker 2: I think last year camp there was enough there to make me say a little more development. He might be a guy that could be answered. But keep going, Bran.
Speaker 10: Yeah, you know it's funny. I keep if you would have just said, and I love Fowler and Armstrong and those guys, if you would have just said, who's a bigger loss, Tyron Smith or Jonathan Hankins, if you focus it even that way, let me ask you this, did the Cowboys run defense really play better with Jonathan Hankins in there? Do we still have questions even if you had Jonathan Hankins back, which you still have questions about.
Speaker 3: The run defense? Fair? You know That's the thing.
Speaker 10: I just kind of keep circling back because we talked they don't have a one technique on this roster right now. I mean they're gonna try and get Mozzie Smith built back up and hopefully he can help out.
Speaker 3: You know, they're okay.
Speaker 10: At three, Patrick told us the Murphy from Texas is coming in.
Speaker 3: He's a three technique. He's best three technique in the draft.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean he seriously you talk about a but he's not a one technique. He's a three, you know, and you've got some three techniques already on this team. Maybe it doesn't keep you from draft, but it's gotta be Tyron Smith, right. I mean even though if you say that we hey, they don't have a one, but were they really? Were they really that much better with Jonathan Hankins, So immediately all think Kyler, it's the run defense is wrecked. They weren't very good with him in there at times, so maybe they needed to go a different route on this. So I would lean to Tyron Smith, is what I would say.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you this, how much Yeah, talking out of this one, how much was the poor run defense a reflection of specifically Hankins play or the poor linebacker play?
Speaker 10: I think this is why we're getting all these linebackers on thirty visit, you know, and legitimate downhill fix.
Speaker 2: Right, you put Hankins with one of those linebackers in the run defense?
Speaker 3: Fix? Is my question.
Speaker 10: Kendrick's my guy Wallace from Kentucky. You know, give me one of give me that comed you know, Demon Clark. I think the Moon Clark. The thing about him is he went backwards for me and I was expecting him to go forward. And maybe that had something to do with Layton Vanderesh being out. Yeah, you know, things started to kind of you know, it kind of because too much.
Speaker 3: But maybe the whole run defense itself.
Speaker 10: Maybe it's not just Jonathan Hankins, as you say, maybe it's Jonathan Hankins linebackers safety play or undersize safety is trying to play as linebackers. Yeah, you know, but the Tyron Smith one hurts you just because now you're in a moment where you maybe have to move an all pro guard or you're going to have to use the twenty fourth pick overall on a tackle. That's the one. There's a lot of moving parts with that Tyron Smith loss.
Speaker 9: I mean, I think you definitely saw the different friends. Uh, when Jonathan Hankins was there versus him not being there, we got a good look at what that was like for a brief period there. But with Tyler's Tyron Smith right now, and I say this right now, I'm not suffering the loss as much just because I feel like it's been coming for years now.
Speaker 3: Okay, I want to ask you the question.
Speaker 10: You you've all along kind of been like, I don't want to be held hostage. I'm sorry if I'm saying it's the wrong way. I don't want to be held hostage by the position anymore. You've you've been all along, and you've been You've been, You've been upfront about that. You're like, listen, I keep dealing with this every year. I keep dealing with the unknown.
Speaker 3: Is that? Are you okay with moving on? You're like, you're okay with this?
Speaker 9: Right, I've been okay because of that, I think, Uh, someone who suffers from anxiety.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know what.
Speaker 10: I was speaking to a lot of cowboy fans.
Speaker 9: I like to know what actually I got going on. You know, the an injury you cannot predict and all that, But when you have a recurrent issue, okay, you know what you can possibly expect.
Speaker 3: So I think.
Speaker 9: And that's not to say that when he was on the field he was invaluable, because he really really was and has been. But I think more so than him just leaving is the fact that even with him being here, let's say he was still here, I still have a crap ton of questions around the O line in general, because they were not They were good protecting Dak. They were pretty solid protecting him in the passing game, but what was happening in the run game. That is a big issue, and that is an area that the Cowboys definitely need to improve because they need to create balance in that game. We did not see a good running game throughout the whole season. Maybe against Washington, yeah, and that was really if that I can remember, But in general, I think I just have huge questions in the O line. So I think that Tyron Smith, Yeah, you're gonna miss him in some aspect, but it frees you from allowing yourself to now be forced to what is the future from this point moving forward and for you to actually have a clear vision, hopefully of what the old line is gonna look like from this point one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree with you and Bro. I think that for me, it really is more Hankins than Tyrone because I've also been in that same camp with you tear the band aid off at some point you gotta do it. It's hard to walk away from really great players. But we've seen a consistent pattern you can't get more consistent than knowing Tyron is not going to be able to play seventeen games. We know this, This is historically a fact, right, And so I'm just like, I can't. I can't continue to always every week get to that Saturday night, like you say, Brian, like literally wake up Sunday morning and it's like, yeah, it's been good, but all of a sudden something cropped up and now we got a problem, and now he can't play. I just can't. I don't want to have to live in that world anymore. I have enough question marks. I'd rather go ahead and move on. And even if that means that the guy have maybe a little lesser right now, the point is I know what I'm getting every week. I can plan for that, and I'll I'll take it one step further.
Speaker 3: Brian, when you talk about got them on this, I know, and that's fair.
Speaker 2: I'm looking forward to it. But but but when you talk about the defensive side of the ball, when you said Hankins, you know you gotta look at him and say the run defense, Well, I think ammor made on a stue point there. If you're gonna do that on defense, and you gotta do the same on offense and say the run offense wasn't great, Right, What's Tyrant also a part of that?
Speaker 3: Right? Yeah?
Speaker 10: The thing that I think I accepted the unknown with Tyron Smith because he was so great, because I knew I can win twelve games because he's gonna play. You know, we saw what others play in the position, how it affected the way you're it affected the chance you had of winning the football game.
Speaker 9: I still have nightmares from Atlanta.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's been a long time, but that's but that was a nightmare game. But to me, I I think that, like, yeah, I know that it's It's not I could wake up in New Jersey and not play that day and my chances of winning that game went probably way down because of him not being in there. But does it I think I would rather accept that. I think I would rather accept the unknown of every week holding my breath as opposed to this guy we got in here right now other than other than Tyler Smith, anybody else other than Tyler Smith. Right now, I'm thinking there's probably a chance we're going to lose this game today.
Speaker 2: But that's also where I get back to, and I know, I know what you're saying the Cowboys have shown no desire to want to do this. But I'm looking at this roster and I'm saying, if you cannot draft a tackle that you think is capable, Tyler Smith will will be. I will put money on it. He will be a Pro Bowl caliber.
Speaker 10: That's yeah, I agree with you, and I think bass is more than case left guard.
Speaker 2: So so you have the answer sitting here if you choose to take that option. And that's also why I think when you go into the draft, for me, I'm looking at center as a more important position. I got to get drafted than even tackle because I have an answer here. It may not be my preferred answer, but it is an answer, and it's a it's a workable answer.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, I'm always going to go center over left tackle.
Speaker 8: We had this conversation because I feel like the more important part of the offensive line is protecting the interior. Sure, and you if you allow the interior to collapse, it doesn't much matter what happens on the edges because your play is blown up. So I'm really on that for a slightly different reason, but I'm with you on that.
Speaker 10: This is why you run the best media department in the in the world and not.
Speaker 3: Shot right now.
Speaker 10: They would walk down, they would say, they would say, Derek, congratulations here you run one of the most powerful media entities in the world. You're not picking play see but you're not wrong.
Speaker 3: See that you're not wrong.
Speaker 10: If we if we took all the Cowboy Nation and got all got in a room, if we all got in this one hundred and fifty set meeting room that they have with the players and had everybody say that everybody's with you, and they would walk in and say nope, nope, and you would go, okay, well, thanks everybody for coming.
Speaker 3: You know, make sure everything you know.
Speaker 10: But no, that's it's it seems.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Well, honestly, I do think we do.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I do know this about Jerry Jones.
Speaker 10: I know how important it is, and Patrick's absolutely right working with Jerry Jones, I know how important it is for him to have the middle of the pocket the way it is.
Speaker 4: That's it.
Speaker 3: You look at the you.
Speaker 10: Look at the you know they draft a center in the first round. Teams were drafted Travis Frederick. I mean, like people, he's a third round no that's a first round player right there. You know, look what they did with Zach Martin. No, we're not taking Johnny Manziel. We're taking a guard who played tackle.
Speaker 4: At Notre Dame. We want him in the game.
Speaker 3: We want him a guard.
Speaker 10: They're their Their idea of keeping the front of the pocket clean and the ability to step up is important to them.
Speaker 3: It's it's a fundamental.
Speaker 10: It's like something if they walk down from the mountain with the ten commandments, Thou shall protect the middle of the pocket. You know, that's one of their ten commandments right there. You know, Jerius Moses is awesome, by the way, that would be kind of cool, but you know he he get but grow it out, you know you can do it right, Yeah, you can absolutely do it. So the thing about it is, though, that's a fundamental. That's that's my opinion of it. You know, I say, I don't know, but I know what their fundamental approaches. Where the logical approach is kick that guy to left tackle, put bass in there and go out and draft powers Johnson from Oregon the center and you've got to off art line and Barton.
Speaker 2: From Duke and now now Amber.
Speaker 9: Yeah, going back to the pressure. Are you at a poem where you you have to step out of your fundamentals and try something different?
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm going to take a break, and then when we come back, you can ask that question again and we'll see what they have to say.
Speaker 4: We'll be back.
Speaker 2: Dallas Cowboys dot com Radio.
Speaker 11: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 6: Five G requires compatable planning device. Five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 12: Don't put off getting your oil change, Dallas. Take five oil change, A proud partner of the Cowboys. Is faster than you think. There's no appointment needed and no waiting room. Yep, you hurt that correctly. Take five is so fast you don't even have to get out of your car. You can take advantage of Take five's fast, friendly and simple service at any of their locations across the Dallas area, and remember at Take five you stay in your car because they're faster than you think. Take five the official oil change of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 1: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order.
Speaker 3: Plus.
Speaker 1: Because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 2: That's get Jack Black dot com slash.
Speaker 3: Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 7: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field.
Speaker 3: Legendary John Deere.
Speaker 7: Tractors, combines, residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipments, hater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United dagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 2: Back to the break, all.
Speaker 10: Right, Register now for the twenty twenty four Dallas Cowboys Youth Camps, presented by a Visa Ligne. Athletes of all skill levels, ages six to sixteen are invited to learn from the best this summer at the Ford Center at the Star in Frisco. Football camps are led by former NFL players, and dance camps are taught by the current Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders. Registered before May seventeen to save twenty five dollars, visit ho else Cowboys dot com Slash.
Speaker 3: Camps Welcome back.
Speaker 2: Final second of the Reach today live from s TOWBC Mortgage Studios at the Star, presented by l g amber Just before the break, you had a question, let's throw that question back out there.
Speaker 9: Well, we keep talking about fundamentals and how the Cowboys have been all these years. And how they usually handle free agency draft. Are we at a point where dot te pod is just making so much noise right now that you're like, oh my god, this is about to tip over where you have to step out of what you're used to doing, and now you're kind of forcing yourself to try different things or different methods than where you're used to doing everything.
Speaker 8: I think there's a difference between fundamentals and.
Speaker 4: Your comfort zone.
Speaker 8: I think those are two different things, and I need I think that once you understand that, then you would understand my answer to that, which is true, Fundamentals you should never get away from. Okay, whether it be you know, valuing the interior of the offensive line or the xterior of the offensive line, you don't change that just because of what you might be going through this offseason free agency or how the last season ended. Fundamentals are fundamentals for a reason, right you're breathing for a reason. That's a fundamental comfort zone. Free agency spending, your method of spending or not spending a free agency that's not a fundamental.
Speaker 4: Even if you you know.
Speaker 8: Kind of grabbed a sharpie and wrote that as the eleventh commandment on your tablet. That's not actually a fundamental that's your comfort zone. That's what you've kind of struct I disagree with that.
Speaker 2: I think for this organization. I think their approach to free agency is a core principle for them. They believe you we heard Stephen talk about it. They believe, yeah, but that that would be a core principle, like that would be the basis of what they believe and how they operate is we are we believe that you're going to overpay for free agents, and we're not willing to overpay for free agents. As as Steven said, you're gonna get to pay a good guy great money or you know, he had the whole list. Right, That's a core principles, right or wrong. And I'm not saying it's right or wrong. What I'm saying is that is a fundamental, core principle for them. That is how they operate. That is how they've operated for how many years now, Like that's just their approach. If they're gonna spend, they're gonna spend on their own guys. They have not gone out and shown a propensity to go out to spend in free agency for big time free AGENTSY.
Speaker 4: I agree.
Speaker 8: In the aspect of what you're saying that it is a core principle for them. I disagree that just because something that's been deemed a core principle, that that suddenly makes it a fundamental Okay, so example.
Speaker 2: Tell me the difference.
Speaker 8: Let's use an example. All right, human body, all right, you breathe. Fundamentally, you don't have a choice. If you want to keep living, you gotta keep breathing. Right, If you want to keep living, you got to keep eating. But what if I said my core principle for the past twenty years was to eat French fries every day at you know, twelve noon, because I have the way, right if I felt.
Speaker 2: Like that, your.
Speaker 8: Gravy on the front hot. But let's say I chose you because I gotta eat. That's the fundamental thing, right, But what and how much I consume or how little I consume? That might be a core principle for me, and that might work in my favor, it might not work in my favorite. If I'm if my core principle is I'm going to eat broccoli every day at noon, then it's probably going to work in my.
Speaker 4: Say that probably if.
Speaker 2: You say that though in the cowboys world, and take that analogy to the cowboys world. What becomes fundamental because there is nothing that you have to do. The only thing you have to have to stay under the cap.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 4: Well, you have to spend a certain amount of money.
Speaker 2: That's different.
Speaker 4: You got the cap.
Speaker 2: That is that is what. That's not a fundamental principle. That is just a law. A fundamental principle is this is how we view it, this is how we're going to approach it, and it is the basis of what we do.
Speaker 9: Right, he was on the debate team and he's married to a lawyer.
Speaker 2: No, I'm just like, tell me where I'm wrong. Here, tell me where I'm wrong.
Speaker 4: I was also the team.
Speaker 2: You're not shocking outside playing football.
Speaker 8: I don't think we're as far off as from each other's points as we think. I think we're splitting hairs because you're not wrong in that. It's it's it is their core principle. It's how they deem that they want to operate. This is how they feel like what's going to put them in the best position for success. But then you look around the league and other teams have different core principles. And let's talk about the new England Patriots during their dynasty years, their core principles turned them into at an absolute juggernaut year in year out. Now those core principles have changed because now Bill is going and all of that. So court principles can change, but I don't feel like basic fundamentals can or should change. Even if we're talking about the x's and o's, certain x's and those at certain positions, there are fundamentals go to basketball. If you a fundamental would be the ability to shoot a free throw effectively, that's a fundamental. Keep your fundamentals down. Now you can shoot threes like Steph Curry, that's wonderful, but when you get to the foul line, can you do what.
Speaker 10: Would you say their fund What would you say? Was it a principal or fundamental? What they changed with trading draft picks for players.
Speaker 4: I think that's a principal change.
Speaker 10: I think I don't because that's something they love their picks, right, and we saw what they did with Cooks.
Speaker 3: And which goes to my point.
Speaker 2: I think that is a change. That is the core principle they decided to change.
Speaker 8: That's which which for me means it's not a fundamental because if you can change that, then it's not a fundamental certain and that's where we're kind of split.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess, I guess I don't. I don't see fundamental. I don't define fundamental the way you do. But that's fine.
Speaker 4: That's that's why I said we're not We're not far off.
Speaker 2: It's just a matter of how to me, to me fundamental and and core principle I think are very similar things.
Speaker 4: But but to give to her but to me not not the same.
Speaker 2: But but to get to your point, I don't think they necessarily are changing. They've shown us this offseason they're not looking to necessarily change their core principles of how they view roster building. I think they are sticking to the principles that they've always had, Like this is not new, this is what they've always done. The only difference between this year and last year. Last year actually traded for some place.
Speaker 3: That's something new.
Speaker 2: But they had to even spend money in free agency.
Speaker 10: But you have, you have They also get before for Trey Lance, who they never used.
Speaker 9: Right when what's the last time they faced the situation with a quarterback and other potential players CD Lamb, Mica Parsons, eventually too, where now they're kind of tight to where it changes the amount of spending during free agency and what they've done this year, because even their own guys, they've lost a lot of their own key players for the team, or maybe there were, but I think the money has a huge play in the situation. So now therefore you're kind of biting the laws of fundamentals whatever you want to.
Speaker 2: There's a different set of circumstances this year because you didn't do what you normally do.
Speaker 9: Sign exactly, you are now forced to some principles need to change.
Speaker 4: To your point, some core principles do that, and I.
Speaker 2: Guess that's the point you're making, is you aren't resigning your guys, so what is like.
Speaker 9: You than what you're used to. That's how I think the situation is because now as Brian listed everything that's going on with the coaching staff and everything that's happened, and the amount of pressure and even Jerry Jones he said him many many times how much he wants to win, and that's I think every year as the years go by, that just enhances even more and more and more. So it's at a point where, yes, obviously you have to drive for the future. I mean, you're bringing young guys. That's just the nature of living, and that's what happens. But at the same time, now are you looking at it a little slightly different because of the pressure and the high need that you have for this season.
Speaker 8: I will say that that some core principles need to change. It's a short example being when they tried to adopt the core principle of wide receiver by committee of blue in their face and that now you have a Marii Cooper. So certain things like that. Yes, you go into this offseason and you say, hey, these are what's happening. We can't continue to stick to this, this and this, But certain things just need to stay the same, which would be like valuing your center over your outside edge.
Speaker 4: Things like that.
Speaker 10: I think quickly, I think they evaluated their team into Steven Jones's point he didn't want to pay good money for mediocre players. I think that's why they let a lot of these guys walk. You know, they they made the determination. Maybe it wasn't free agency from the outside, but more like inside these players, Tyler, I'm sorry, you're not worth ten million dollars a year.
Speaker 2: I think they don't feel like there was a huge drop off from him to Hoffman for the money that you're.
Speaker 3: Sure that's the value.
Speaker 8: Yeah, from Sam for the money that.
Speaker 2: And you can argue that, but I think that's again it goes back to their core principle of not wanting to overpay and free agency even for their own guys, if they don't think those guys are necessarily worth the money. You know, he's going to get the last word because I did get the end the show. I appreciate you guys.
Speaker 9: People on social media, please vote who had the best the better debate here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's let's take.
Speaker 2: This is always fun.
Speaker 4: This is what we do, what we did against all right, ain't never scar.
Speaker 2: I appreciate you guys. We're back next week. We'll get into a little more draft talk because I do want to go to some of these names, uh from from Brian on some guys that you should be keeping an eye on as we approach the draft.
Speaker 3: It's the Draft Show tomorrow.
Speaker 2: I will, but I want you to bring some of that to us to We'll watch the Draft Show and everybody go out and check out the Draft Show, but bring some of that over here. It man talk about it till then for Patrick Walker. Brian brought us in Ambergarci. I'm Derek Eagleton. This has been The Break live on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 7: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.