Speaker 1: What kind of a show are you guys putting on here today?
Speaker 2: You're not interested in art? No. Well, look, we're going to do this thing. We're going to have a conversation.
Speaker 1: Hey, film spotters.
Speaker 3: On Friday, Josh, we will have a recommendation and a golden brick nomination for a new movie out in limited release. It's called It Ends. And you have to call it a road trip movie, not a fun road trip movie, but a road trip movie as... They really do spend almost the entire runtime of the film in a car, driving in a car.
Speaker 2: You could say it's the ultimate road trip movie.
Speaker 3: The ultimate road trip movie. They should have brought more snacks. They really should have stopped at a 7-Eleven and loaded up.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 3: They needed more provisions for this trip. And that got us thinking about other memorable road trip movies. road trip movies we've discussed, maybe given the sacred cow treatment to. And of course, that got us thinking about one that's in our pantheon, yes, of all time greats, Midnight Run.
Speaker 1: It's that good.
Speaker 2: It is. Yeah, if already you're scoffing, we hope you continue listening because I think we make a good case for it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, continue scoffing right up until about, I don't know, eight minutes into our conversation and then you'll be convinced.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 3: We'll see if that's the mark or not mileage mileage may vary.
Speaker 1: I'll leave you. I'll leave you with that.
Speaker 3: Here is our conversation from 2023 as a film spotting family member, you get access to conversations like this one at your fingertips. Anytime you want just one of the benefits of being a film spotting family member. You can learn more at film spotting family.com.
Speaker 1: Enjoy. Robert De Niro is a bounty hunter. Your mother ever teach you how to talk nice to people and not shoot at them?
Speaker 2: Charles Brodin is an accountant who embezzled $ 15 million from the mob.
Speaker 1: It is truly in your best interest to just relax.
Speaker 2: I'm totally relaxed. I want this guy taken off. I want him taken off fast. The mob wants him dead. The FBI want him alive. I'm going to bring him into federal court. Do I make myself understood? These sunglasses, they're really nice. Are they government-issued, or do all you guys go to the same store to get them? And his bail bondsman wants.
Speaker 3: Him in L.A.
Speaker 2: In 72 hours.
Speaker 3: Josh, you know how presidents will often pardon a bunch of folks just before leaving office?
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: Well, it's similar with film-spotting hosts in the Pantheon. At least it was with your predecessor. What better way to commemorate the last show of a guy I was introduced to and only really ever referred to as Matty Ballgame than to share our top five movie character nicknames? Indiana Jones came in at number two for Maddie. The Duke, as in John Mardukas, not Wayne, didn't actually end up on his list. But with that episode, both Steven Spielberg's Raiders of the Lost Ark and Martin Bress' Midnight Run were enshrined forever. Or forever-ish, as we're currently rethinking the Pantheon's purpose, process, and picks. I think it's fair to say that Midnight Run has always been the Pantheon's most head-scratching inductee. Sure, many a Gen X man like myself, Maddie, and Maddie's former Chicago roommate, show producer and co-founder Sam Van Halgren, have always had a soft spot for it. One of the all-time great films, though, on the same list as The Godfather Part II, Taxi Driver, and Goodfellas, Run may not be as revered as that trio of films that also happen to star Robert De Niro But it does hold the 95% on Rotten Tomatoes, and also has the distinction of getting the Chicago Way seal of approval. All four of the city's major print critics at the time were favorable. In his three-and-a-half-star Sun-Times review, Roger Ebert wrote, Whoever cast De Niro and Grodin must have had a sixth sense for the chemistry they would have. They worked together so smoothly and with such an evident sense of fun that even their silences are intriguing. Ebert's best frenemy Gene Siskel called it, Funny, unpredictable, and refreshingly adult in the Tribune, Trib colleague Dave Kerr said, Midnight Run touches on one of the great mysteries of the movies. How is it that the tritest material can come to life when touched by the right director and the right actors? Even the Chicago Reader's Jonathan Rosenbaum was along for the cross-country ride.
Speaker 1: Mostly.
Speaker 3: Thanking the performances of De Niro and Grodin for turning this sow's ear into a plausible vehicle for a buddy movie. Turns out, The case of Jonathan Rosenbaum's Midnight Run reaction is as curious as the movie's pantheon inclusion. Run's 25th anniversary in 2013 offered Rosenbaum the opportunity to reflect on his original take and on the presumptions film critics invariably make when writing their reviews. He offered four different exhibits. Here's the opening to Exhibit A, which he began scribing a few hours after walking out of the theater. If it were merely a matter of script, direction, and technical credits... This formula cross-country chase comedy wouldn't be worth a minute of one's time, much less the price of a movie ticket. Martin Bress, who launched his career a little over a decade ago by leaping from a forgettable $ 33, 000 independent feature called Hot Tomorrows to a $ 5 million heist comedy called Going in Style, followed by Beverly Hills Cop, comes on like a competent, if faceless, TV director, scoring with all the desired effects of his mechanical mise-en-scene, but leaving no discernible memory traces behind him. The script by George Gallo, a newcomer whose only previously produced screenplay was for Wise Guys, is as formulaic as they come, even down to multiple and periodic plot twists that seem to come along before every invisible station break. Danny Elfman's pop score is aggressively banal, and Donald Thorne's cinematography is thoroughly unremarkable. What this movie has is lively performances by two of the best actors in the business, Robert De Niro and Charles Grodin. Without them, it would be little more than a hole in the screen. The following night, he took a look at one of those Brest films he mentions, Going in Style, which led to a new reaction, Exhibit B. While I still haven't caught up with Beverly Hills Cop, Martin Brest's other features to date all have certain traits in common. Hot Tomorrows, Going in Style, and Midnight Run are all mainly comic buddy movies with melancholy subtext. All encourage their lead actors to ham it up, and each has an aggressive and synthetic musical score that editorializes and not so gently prods the audience, telling us how and when to react. Giving actors a lot of freedom while giving spectators very little freedom at all produces a strange push-me-pull-you effect reminiscent of certain popular TV series. The usual point of such shows isn't surprise, but the chance to savor minor variations on the already known. Not marveling at what Ralph Cramden says on The Honeymooners, but appreciating the particular inflection that Jackie Gleason brings to the line this time. This strategy, a triumph of embroidery over design, would be unthinkable without an interminable backlog of familiar lines, gestures, and attitudes, and that is precisely what lurks behind De Niro's role as a bounty hunter and former cop in Midnight Run. Rosenbaum's point here is that whether De Niro and Grodin overcome the film's limitations or are a product of them is something a reviewer really can't know for sure. A third possible review of Midnight Run, he then explains, might deal with De Niro and Grodin in relation to each other. rather than as some sort of united front that functions either with or against the rest of the movie. And a fourth could deal with how the movie works independently of what they bring to it. And that's when we get Exhibits C and D, which are, respectively, Josh, his most generous and harshest. That negativity aside, any movie that prompts Jonathan Rosenbaum to pen four different reviews sounds like a Pantheon movie to me. But what say you? And which of his tacks will you be taking? The one that credits De Niro and Grodin for elevating undeniably formulaic material? The one that suggests Martin Bress may actually deserve some auteurist accolades? Or do you have a response so idiosyncratic that you might inspire Rosenbaum to get to work on Exhibit E?
Speaker 2: Yeah, not sure if Rosenbaum is going to take another whack at Midnight Run at this stage in his career. We could probably jump right into the Pantheon question, but it might be more fun to save that at the end after talking about our reactions in general, and I would credit a little more highly some of those elements that Rosenbaum called out. Certainly not the strengths of the film. The strength of this movie is the star pairing. You would have to be blind to not see that. Even Rosenbaum at the very beginning saw that, despite his reservations. But I think he didn't give Brest enough credit here, along with the cinematographer he mentions, Donald E. Thorne, There is nothing revelatory here, but there is enough comic blocking and sturdy action set pieces to make those elements of the movie a plus. I think they bring something to this film. Similarly, George Gallo's screenplay, I was surprised at The level of sophistication going on here, even from a structure point of view, think about how this has a very clever planes to trains to automobiles to walking on foot, circular motion, then back up that ladder again. Maybe not exactly, but pretty much back up that ladder with the nice little grace note at the end of Jack Walsh saying, I guess I'm walking, right? What he's not going to take the cab. So that's just a little... you know, nice screenplay touch. And maybe we'll get into more of this in detail, but I think there's some interesting questions going on. on throughout the movie about what is the right thing to do? Who is doing the right thing? And again, that is a more sophisticated screenplay than what Rosenbaum described, to my mind. And one of the reasons that, yes, Midnight Run more than held up on this revisit for me We've mentioned on previous shows how I have not seen it since probably late 80s, possibly early 90s. As soon as it started, though, I was taken back to where I did see this. It was definitely one of those at the neighbor's house on VHS. Wouldn't have seen it in my house. Just, you know, rated R at that point was probably not in general. I'd seen some rated R films. They weren't, you know, they weren't verboten, but this was probably not one that was going to get the pass.
Speaker 1: A lot of swearing for the Larson house.
Speaker 2: A little bit, a little bit. This was definitely the neighbor's house viewing. And no wonder I loved this thing at 14. Every other line that comes out of a character's mouth is some sort of smart-ass comment. And very much like Bress, Beverly Hills Cop, which we talked about on the show, Adam, I also got similar vibes to the Blues Brothers in terms of this smart-ass quality. Both of those middle school transitioning into high school favorites for Josh. Still enjoyed that element. Yes, absolutely. Does every line sing?
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: No. I think we've already heard maybe one that, to my mind, isn't quite up to the quality of quoting or remembering. Fistophobia. Kind of groaned at fistophobia this time.
Speaker 1: Fistophobia is not one of the better lines.
Speaker 2: I got to admit. But most of these absolutely land and particularly landed for me back when I was around that age. So an incredible pleasure to see this hold up in the ways we're going to get into. I'll pause here and we'll return to De Niro and Grodin. Because I want to give that its entirely own section. But for me, yeah, pleasant surprise that some of those other elements I think are worth noting for making Midnight Run what it is. I think the way I'd put it is that this isn't a movie that's the sum of its parts, right? That all those things make it as great as it is. But man, De Niro and Grodin, they make every one of those parts glisten just a little bit more so that it all comes out looking shinier.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm going to take us there. We're going to get right into De Niro and Grodin and those standout moments in the movie that really do make this film.
Speaker 1: I agree with you.
Speaker 3: But first I'll say, no, I'm not going to have anything revelatory to offer as well, nor do I find anything about the filmmaking to be revelatory here. This is one of those sacred cows where it turns out I had pretty much the same experience with it that I did 35 years ago.
Speaker 1: And you know what? That's That's worth something, too.
Speaker 3: It offers almost entirely the same pleasures, though I will say, and we'll get into this here more in a second, I will say that some of the pathos of the film is heightened with a little bit more maturity and perspective. And I certainly have a greater perspective on the acting talents of Robert De Niro and Charles Grodin compared to what I had back in 1988 when I saw this for the first of probably... 30 times on television.
Speaker 1: I'm sure it was HBO.
Speaker 3: One other quick aside, though, I said there's not going to be any revelations and there.
Speaker 1: Really won't be.
Speaker 3: But you mentioned titles like the Blues Brothers and you think about planes, trains and automobiles and some of these other films that are touchstones. I still also found myself thinking occasionally of a movie like Heat and seeing seeing his Jack Walsh character is not that too distant from his Neil McCauley character. his code, his determination to do the job the right way. He's got an integrity about him. That man, Neil McCauley, is an absolute criminal by any standard, by any normal definition. But they share a lot in common in terms of their sensibility and the way they view the world, also in terms of their sarcasm. So that was something, I guess, that surprised me a little bit. But before those moments of pathos really come together Josh let's talk about the comedy let's talk about De Niro and how deftly he handles the comedy and people need to understand I think some folks listening will remember you know like when Analyze This came out and it was oh it's De Niro as a comedian which I understand at the time felt a little different maybe because of a recent slate of work that he'd done but back in 88 it really was a case where I don't think a lot of people were thinking of the king of comedy as an actual comedy And so to see him do straight comedy like he does here was a bit of a surprise. And then it's not a surprise at all that we find maybe the most talented actor of his generation is just as good with those comedic moments as he is with anything that's dramatic. And this is one for me that I actually have highlighted on the show before. When we did our top five Robert De Niro scenes, it was way back on episode 341. I had as my number five, what is my favorite gag in this entire movie? And it's a pure De Niro moment. It's the bit with the sunglasses and Yafet Kodo in the car. And then as he walks away with Alonzo Mosley's badge and ID, that little unexpected turn he does, like he's a fed, like he's a G-man or whatever from... a TV show, a crime TV show, acting all suave and cool, turns to absolutely no one and flashes the badge in this little kind of crouch position. It's hilarious, something you completely don't expect from that character and adds this moment of levity and also sets up what is going to become one of the recurring gags throughout the film that always delivers. Every time Yafet Kodo gets pissed because someone thinks he's not Alonzo Mosley, it works. Another moment of interaction between them, and it's another physical bit by De Niro that stood out to me this time, is when they're on the phone, I think they've now had to get off the bus. So they're trying to get Joe Peneliano to wire them the money so they can get on a bus. They're on foot at this point. And he's getting very frustrated, even more frustrated with Peneliano's character. And he starts yelling and he says something like, don't start with me, Eddie. I will shoot him and dump him in the swamp. And they don't cut so you could see Grodin's face, but you can tell that Grodin makes a face like, come on, are you really going to do that? And De Niro, mid-yelling at Eddie, shakes his head. No, no, I wouldn't do that.
Speaker 1: I'm just kidding. I'm just kidding.
Speaker 3: And something about that playfulness between them and him even feeling this really tough former ex-cop, now bounty hunter, who seems to hate this guy for how annoying he's making this journey, he still has the instinct to tell him everything's okay, and he wouldn't really do that to him, which reveals something about his character. And I think that goodness and that innate sense of doing the right thing, which absolutely is a through line with this film.
Speaker 2: I think that element of playfulness is crucial to De Niro's performance here, because you're right, this was his first pure comedy if you you know action comedy buddy comedy however you want to call this it's it's mostly a comedy and he is having fun with that it's not just that he can do it it's that he's clearly enjoying it i think that's what the little flashing of the badge crouch is all about as you can see how that is a character touch but it's also a deniro touch it's all about deniro showing how far he is willing to take this in terms of improvisation. I would like to think, you know, maybe that was in the script. I don't know, but I do know that a ton of improvisation was at work between he and Grodin and their scenes together. And yeah, I think this is just where we see how much fun De Niro is having with this. It's also, as you're describing how there are flashes of other characters he would even do later, that's because this isn't, you know, this is a slight turning of posture of the kind of guys we mostly think of when we think of De Niro, right? He's not doing something incredibly different, but in a way it's even more challenging to just make that little shift. And yet that small shift is why you get so many of the laughs. It's just, he still has that familiar grimace, right? But there's a little bit of a smile to it. Or at least the smile has a little less menace than it would in his other roles, in most of his other roles.
Speaker 3: But maybe, Josh, that's the only adjustment otherwise, because I think that's the secret.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 1: To him being so effective here, right?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: De Niro isn't approaching it any different.
Speaker 2: Nope.
Speaker 3: He's not playing any of this as comedy. He is playing the character. He's playing the script. He's playing against the other character. It's all rooted in his character's behavior.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And his character's desires.
Speaker 2: What did you do? Why aren't you popping up at Chicago Police Department?
Speaker 3: Something that really doesn't concern you.
Speaker 2: She hurt you, Jack? Yeah. I'm sorry. What are you sorry about? I'm sorry you're hurt. I'm not hurt.
Speaker 1: You just said you were hurt.
Speaker 2: I'm not hurt. You just said you were hurt. I didn't say I was hurt. You said I was hurt. I asked you if you were hurt, and you said, yeah, I'm hurt. That's because you made me say it. You're starting to put words in my mouth. Jack, you're a grown man. You have control over your own words. You're goddamn right I do. So here come two words for you. Shut the fuck up. He is so good with Grodin. I mean, those are the scenes where things, Grodin is good on his own. You know, I think he is, he's maybe offering, if you think about his persona, this persona of disdain, usually. He tempers that here with a surprising gentleness. So on his own, I think Grodin is good. But man, when they're together, and I think of two moments for me that are among my favorites. Look at De Niro's face. that he pulls during that moment where the Duke is having an imaginary conversation between the two of them, and he's voicing both parts on the train when they've jumped on the train. And De Niro's face just goes from boiling rage to you see him being reluctantly worn down by the fact that this is so ridiculous, what he's hearing, and quite funny, that it gets reduced to this bemused simmer. And I love that in terms of just not even verbal anger, interplay between them, but just how De Niro is using his face to react. And then the other sequences, we've referenced this as well already, but where they get to work with each other rather than against each other when they pose as agents investigating counterfeit bills in that saloon.
Speaker 1: And they end up.
Speaker 2: Getting into this circular, nonsensical conversation about why the owner's nickname is Red. What's the name of your establishment?
Speaker 1: Red's Corner Bar.
Speaker 2: Are you Red?
Speaker 3: Yes, sir.
Speaker 2: You dye your hair? Why do they call you Red?
Speaker 1: Oh, it's short for Red Wood. My last name's Wood.
Speaker 2: What's your first name? Bill. Thank you for your cooperation, Bill. Getting to see them work together in that sequence, I think, is just so great. But if you look at Grodin again, just what he's doing here, I did not remember. I was really surprised how he warms into the ridiculousness of the Duke. That first scene where we see him at the house... with the dog he doesn't really go for a laugh at all in that sequence he plays it pretty calm and I think that's all to let things build build build until the big blow up on the plane no I can't I can't.
Speaker 1: No no Of course, it's all an act.
Speaker 2: But before that, what is he doing? What is the Duke doing? He's watching. He's studying. He's examining Jack.
Speaker 1: And he's knowing exactly..
Speaker 2: What buttons to push. And then even after that blow up on the plane, he doesn't stay at that level. He goes back to being mostly serene. I love how he receives Jack's physical threats with it's almost not out of fear. He doesn't face them with fear. It's like he's disappointed in Jack. It's almost as if he's been told like they just went to an ice cream shop and they were out of his favorite flavor. That's his face when Jack threatens him physically. Yeah. He's slightly disappointed at him. And then how about the moment where the bank teller is telling Jack his card has declined and Grodin just winks. You know, winks at her like, you and I are in on this. Uh-huh.
Speaker 1: Uh-huh.
Speaker 2: So I just, you know, Grodin, as good as De Niro is, I think the secret to unlocking De Niro's performance is the presence that Grodin brings in In every moment, every single moment, the patience he has, the not going for the laugh immediately, the waiting to see what will come to him in the moment. Back to your point about Jack, because that's part of the Duke's character as well.
Speaker 1: His patience is key.
Speaker 3: His intelligence as a character and as a performer in terms of his choices is also key. It's what adds interesting layers to these characters and then ultimately to the movie. And an example of that for me is to watch it and start to see, to your point, about how he plays it, how the Duke watches, observes, takes in information, understanding that even though he seems to be the person who is in a position of helplessness, and Jack is the brute who is taking him in, and certainly can control him physically, and he suggests that he's always in control of the situation, we know from watching Grodin that actually he is slyly determining a lot of this. And that's why there's a great moment when he says something like, you know, at some point I'm going to have to give you the.
Speaker 1: Slip, right? Yeah.
Speaker 3: And he's got supreme confidence in it. And Jack doesn't understand where that's coming from and thinks that's hilarious that the Duke would ever, ever even imagine that he could get away from him.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: But we know we've been watching and we know that he's smarter and and more conniving than he seems, and that he probably has it in him. He's gotten this far. He can probably get away from Jack, right? And so here's my question for you. As you think about all that, and it sounds like you had a similar reaction to Grodin in his performance, when he says to Jack, maybe we should stop in Chicago and see your wife and daughter when he hears about their story, is that because the Duke is someone who genuinely cares about that and would actually like to go down that path and maybe help people? Is he this Pollyanna figure that he pretends to be, that he seems to be? Or is he 100% just looking for a way to continue to get Jack off his game, to get him to take different routes, to put up more obstacles and prolong this entire adventure?
Speaker 2: I think he's genuine.
Speaker 1: Or is it both?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, it might be a little bit of both, but I don't think he sets that up or encourages that as his big opportunity to escape because there are plenty of other opportunities. I got the impression more is the more time they spent together, the less the Duke wanted to escape. And there's two reasons for that. One is he's actually enjoying this relationship.
Speaker 1: Maybe.
Speaker 2: And the other is he might start to feel, realize he's probably safest in Jack's hands. I mean, for as much as he thinks he's possibly smarter than him or can give him the slip, Jack has proven he can get them out of some pretty tight scrapes. And this might be, you know, just part of him realizing I'm safer at this point to ride along with this guy as long as I can. I don't know, but I do think it is connected. And the reason I think it's mostly motivated by, you know, good, thoughts or a good hope for Jack and his well-being and his relationships goes back to this thing I mentioned about the debates they have about what is the right thing to do. Was it heroic for the Duke to embezzle this money from a mobster and give it away to charity? Okay, but did he keep some? How much did he keep? Was that right? Should he have given it all away? Why is Jack pursuing this bounty? Is Jack doing it? just out of, you know, pure greed for the money? Is he, you know, on the side of the gangsters if he does let them get the Duke? So there are a lot of complications here. And I think it came to a head for me in that very strange moment where it's like an outpost, almost like a, it's not even a town, but a Native American outpost they find themselves in where, you There is, you know, there's no way out here except for this small prop plane that the Duke finds. And so after that all goes down, they get into an argument here. And even Jack agrees with this, right? Yeah. When the Duke argues, it was okay for me to steal the plane because I was saving my own life. It was not okay for you to steal their truck because you were just doing that to make money off of my life. And it's just packed into and batted back and forth. as funnily as all the comic lines as well. But it is that moment of clarity where you see they've kind of been having this argument the entire trip about every decision that is made is, was this the right honorable thing to do? So yeah, I think all of that, I see the encouragement to go catch up with his ex-wife as part of that for the Duke. Jack, let's be fair about this.
Speaker 1: You lied to me first. What?
Speaker 3: At the river.
Speaker 1: Oh, get the... You lied to me first. You got some nerve. No, no, you lied to me first. You lied to me first.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, I lied to you first, but you had no knowledge I was lying about my fear of flying at the river when you lied to me.
Speaker 1: So as far as you knew, you lied to me first.
Speaker 2: I can't even argue with you.
Speaker 1: I don't even know what the fuck you're talking about.
Speaker 3: I agree that that tension is there, and I mean the tension where you can watch it and almost feel like he's having fun or that he wants to stay with Jack and maybe even does feel safe with Jack, even though his life is constantly put in danger. At the same time, I never lose sight of the fact that it seems to sink in frequently with the Duke, that the fact is, if they get to LA, the closer they get to LA, the closer he is to death.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 3: And so I think that for him, it's more about the fact that I ascribe total genuineness and honor in him as a man wanting to help this bounty hunter out and go have this poignant moment and maybe even a sort of redemptive moment But at the same time, there's at least a percentage of it. There has to be a little bit of a percentage of it that is him just trying to come up with barriers, things that might possibly let him escape or keep him from death.
Speaker 1: And I want to give you one other De Niro moment. Every detour does help him.
Speaker 2: I give you that.
Speaker 1: Every detour helps him. Without a doubt, right?
Speaker 3: But one other moment that I love from De Niro that I think also talks about behavior and the depth he gives to the character and the nature of their relationship and gives it, even early on, so much more weight than it could have. And this could be completely just my interpretation of it. You might see this moment or we could look at the faces De Niro's making and interpret it differently. But remember the scene, it's the one where they're talking about going to Chicago and seeing the wife and daughter. I think it starts, they're eating dinner or De Niro's eating dinner. He's eating that chicken wing. and it starts that whole conversation that really opens up that dialogue about like being in denial about what the right thing to do is and doing the wrong thing. Anyway, he's eating these chicken wings, even though he knows that they're bad for him. The way that scene opens though, is just silently with De Niro chewing and the Duke watching him. And we get the sense that, you know, he's quietly judging him or at least quietly considering the damage.
Speaker 1: This is doing to him.
Speaker 3: And the face that De Niro is making is, the reaction, everything within his body suggests to me someone who is aware of that judgment and actually is a little bit bothered by it. He's someone who, again, comes off as so brusque and there's all that bravado and that sense of control. And in that moment, it's as if he knows he's being watched. He knows he's doing something quote unquote wrong, and.
Speaker 1: He's a little bit ashamed of it. He would never say that. He would never admit it. But De Niro is lets that in.
Speaker 3: He allows for that to be an interpretation of the moment. So I want to get to the pathos. And I give Gallo, the screenwriter here, some credit in that even if we think we know it's coming, that eventually he's going to end up on the doorstep face-to-face with his ex-wife and daughter again after that's introduced, I could see a lesser film concocting an extremely stupid ruse to get them there. And maybe some people watching this would say that is what happens with the shootout in Chicago and they get away on foot.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: But the fact that that moment comes, not because Jack has some big change of heart or all of a sudden feels like he has to do this and we don't really believe that his character would do it. The fact that the only way he ends up back on her doorstep is because he truly has no other choice, that he is so desperate for help that he goes to the only person whose help he can ask. I appreciated that. And then when we get there, that interaction with Wendy Phillips is gale. Everything about their energy suggests and sells the history that they have. And the feelings that have changed dramatically... between the both of them, but that are still there.
Speaker 1: And I mentioned the head.
Speaker 3: Shake that I love so much that De Niro gives in that comedic moment on the phone where he lets the Duke know that he doesn't mean it. How about the four, I think it's four head turns that we get, those silent head turns that we get when he sees his daughter.
Speaker 2: Denise? You got so big.
Speaker 3: The way De Niro even kind of asks her her name when he says Denise, it's a question. He just can't believe that that's really her, that that's his daughter who he hasn't seen in so long. And that line delivery, you got so big. The hugs where he doesn't really know what to do. He hugs her like three times, you know, kind of briefly as opposed to one big hug. And then her going back out into the driveway and trying to help her dad despite the fact that they've been estranged. I'm not going to lie, Josh, it's midnight run and it got a little dusty twice sitting on my couch watching this movie in those moments.
Speaker 2: I think that's an overall well-handled scene. I can't say it got things dusty for me. Maybe my favorite moment in it, though, is the awkwardness that they allow and give space for. And it's right in that sequence you're talking about in sort of the entranceway to the house after his wife has left. the room for a few minutes. And so here's who we're left with. The Duke, Jack, and this daughter who, as you pointed out, he's not even entirely sure. It's been so long at first that it is his daughter. I think is Danielle Duclos plays the daughter, I believe. And yeah, no dialogue. There's like, I don't know, maybe 40 seconds of De Niro just kind of looking around awkwardly, wandering around a little bit, not knowing what else they've been reintroduced at this point. And some sort of conversation should happen, right? And it's not. And the movie just sits there and lets us sit in that. And that was one of those bits where it's unexpected, right? I didn't, we know this scene is coming. I think it plays out, you know, as mostly we expected probably, but I did not expect a little moment like that. And even Grodin is good. They're, again, patience, not going for a laugh, You're seeing his face in that scene, and you're also seeing how awkward he is in that moment, maybe even thinking, I shouldn't have pushed this. This was a bad idea. I was hoping this would end in a better way. But instead, it's become really uncomfortable for everyone. And yeah, it was brave of the film to let us sit in that. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And here I want to go back to what you were saying in terms of what stood out to you about the substance, or I suppose— one of the morals of this movie, or at least the moral discussions the movie is having. I, as I think about, again, De Niro's character and what's so effective in terms of rooting all of this in their behavior, at the core of this movie, it's not the gags, it's not the action, it's not plot or anything else, it really is character. And with character, I'm going to go to the film spotting word of every episode, it's about the stakes.
Speaker 1: And there are stakes, right, in.
Speaker 3: That there are these Time-driven stakes, what is ostensibly what this movie is about and what Jack's motivation is.
Speaker 1: Will he make it? Will he complete the job?
Speaker 3: Will he get back before the deadline Friday night at midnight or whatever it is? It really does, though, turn out to be, over the course of the movie, a story about integrity.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the perfect word. Yep.
Speaker 1: It's integrity.
Speaker 2: That's what they're arguing about.
Speaker 3: With that comes being willing to do the right thing, even in incredibly tough situations.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: That's maybe the definition of integrity is sticking to what you believe in despite the challenges and the adversity. And so with that, you've got these two men who couldn't be more different, but actually are equal misfits in terms of society and their professions, right? He notices that his accounting firm is on the take. The police force is on the take. They both end up on the outs with the bad guy, the mob guy in this case, Jimmy Serrano, really great, Dennis Farina.
Speaker 2: Oh, so good.
Speaker 3: And so then the story becomes, actually, for us as viewers, it really becomes a matter of whether or not Jack will really be able to turn the Duke in at the end or not. Will he really be able to do it? And it's a legitimate question, I think, based on what we know about that character. And part of us even maybe wants him to, right? Like, I want Jack to get the money. I want him to complete the job. And the Duke can be kind of annoying. I don't know how I would fare after that whole flight scenario and getting kicked off the airplane, right? Be hard for me to forgive him for that, Josh, no matter what happened. But of course, we also want him to do the right thing because that's so central to his character. And so the way that's all fleshed out are these little moments that again, I think maybe lesser movies wouldn't give us are like the one where Jack is formulating the plan. And yeah, that Kodo Mosley looks at him and can tell that he's getting almost giddy about this, which is something we haven't seen from the Walsh character yet. And he says that he's getting excited because he gets to feel like a, a cop again, you know, all of his behavior, everything he does, those moments of excitement, They inform our understanding of the character and ultimately those stakes. And, you know, our friend Sam, who has seen this movie even more times than me and every time gives it five stars, he had a nice little theory or idea too on Letterboxd where he said that even at the end, his decision to uncuff the Duke could be partly about that's another moment where he gets to feel like a cop again. He gets to not just be kind of the automaton who goes, and does the job, but he gets to make a decision. He gets to take the cuffs off of someone and that it's really about part and parcel with his integrity is it's really about his dignity. And the fact that his dignity in that moment has been restored more than anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm so glad you landed on the word integrity because I think that is essentially what they're quibbling over in almost every discussion they have. It's not inflated always as it is in that discussion at the outpost about the plane versus the truck. That's where it maybe comes to the foreground. But even when they're quibbling over what he's eating, that's kind of at the root of it is that question of integrity.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely it is. And there's another hilarious exchange where it's at the root of it. And- I'll mention this in the context of another thing that I saw from Sam on Letterboxd that I didn't see until earlier today, not before I saw the film. In one of his viewings a while back, Sam said, and of course he did still give it five stars and adores the film, but he said that this is the first time that the ending ever troubled him a little bit. He said, I don't believe Jack would take the money. He said he's got too much integrity to use stolen money to open a coffee shop or anything else for that matter. And I bring that up because Josh, I was so dialed into his integrity and these ethical and philosophical debates, if you will, that actually populate this movie that it had never occurred to me before until watching it last night that I had a moment where I thought to myself, I feel like Jack would give him the money back. I feel like Jack would actually be so against using money that came from Jimmy Serrano that he doesn't technically have any claim to no matter what reasons he would use it for, or no matter how bad the guy is, right, that he's taking it from, ultimately in Serrano, he would never actually use it. He would never take it. And the movie suggests that this is kind of his redemption, this restoration of dignity at the end. It's partly when he gets this money as well. And for me, I guess ultimately the way I came to justify it or Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: That the Duke actually is just fine with flying and, in fact, has the ability to fly. He didn't know that. He doesn't know it till later. The implication, the idea being, right, that what you do, what your choices say about you in the moment with the information you have at your disposal, that's what really matters, not ultimately how it shakes out. What matters is what you do in the moment. And in that moment, he... has already decided to let the Duke go. He has no expectation in that moment that he's going to be rewarded financially for it at all.
Speaker 1: He's prepared to.
Speaker 3: Walk away and never see that guy again or reap any benefits. And in fact, he's missing out on $ 100, 000 that he has more than earned.
Speaker 2: This is at the end you're talking about now.
Speaker 1: He's at the end. He's actually losing money.
Speaker 3: But because he's getting rewarded for something he'd already decided to do and had made the right decision based on that, not motivated by the money, I think he can justify it for himself as well.
Speaker 2: That's it. As you were talking, I was trying to remember and it's been like a week since I've seen it again. There's a caveat. There was a little detail that takes place and that's it. That's what you described. That's why it is.
Speaker 1: Take it. You already let me go.
Speaker 2: Yes. That's why it fits with this whole understanding of integrity, why it's okay for him to take the money. That's what it is. That's why it works for me at least. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So lastly, just how about Midnight Run being one of those all-time that guy movies? We've already mentioned it a little bit with Dennis Farina showing up as Serrano, but as Serrano and Yefet Kodo as Alonzo Mosley. I love seeing John Ashton again, and I say again because we did talk about him and his relationship with Axel Foley and Beverly Hills Cop, the other Martin Brest film. Joe Pantoliano, again, I didn't know this until Sam mentioned it on Twitter today, but it's insane that there have been three movies in a row talked about of the show, and he's been in all of them.
Speaker 2: Joey Pants, I think we're supposed to call him. It's been my month of Joey Pants between Risky Business, The Fugitive, back with Michael Phillips, and now you're in Midnight Run. And the other thing, you know, you mentioned how, you know, De Niro here made you think about De Niro and Heat. How about Philip Baker Hall here?
Speaker 1: His name's Sidney.
Speaker 2: His name's Sidney. So I did a quick Google search and couldn't mail it down, but it does seem to be the case that In Paul Thomas Anderson's heartache, he's supposed to be the same character.
Speaker 3: That's so funny that you looked it up because I had the same thought. I'm like, could this really be a coincidence? And maybe I just ran out of time, but I decided not to even search for it. I was like, of course it's a coincidence. It just has to be, but it probably isn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it probably isn't is what I'm going to say. I gave it probably five to eight minutes, and then I was like, I got to move on with my day. So I don't have it definitively anywhere that PTA said anything. this. Maybe that's out there somewhere and a listener knows. But yeah, he's a mob advisor here. That would track, right, with the sort of mysterious Sidney's past in hard eight. And I think that's, even if it's not the case, it's lovely that it works out that way. I heard somebody picked up my dukes in New York. It's old news, Sidney. I'm already on it. I don't have to tell you what'll happen if he becomes a government witness. I can assure you that will not be the case.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I assumed you were taking that position, but I'm supposed to advise you against such acts.
Speaker 2: Sidney, relax. Have a cream soda. Everything is going to be all over within a few minutes.
Speaker 3: We hope you enjoyed that conversation from our archive about Midnight Run from 2023. Josh, a 35th anniversary review. Once again, we remind you that as a Film Spotting Family member, you get access to the Film Spotting Archive. You also get bonus shows. You get a weekly newsletter. You get early ad-free shows and more. It's all at filmspottingfamily.com. And don't forget, on Friday's flagship show, it is our top five Needle Drops. It's a good one with Rico Galeano from Mubi. Thanks for listening. This conversation can serve no purpose anymore.
Speaker 2: Goodbye.