Speaker 1: No one has all the answers, but when we ask the right questions, we get a little closer, closer to truths, closer to each other, even closer to ourselves. I'm journalist Danielle Robe, and each week, my guests and I come together to challenge the status quo and our own ways of thinking by daring to ask what if, why not? And who says?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 1: Come curious, dig deep, and join the conversation. It's time to question everything. Resilience talk is well everywhere, stay strong, push through, bounce back, and on its surface, those words are meant kindly, right, But I think they skip the part that nobody writes about, or talks about, or wants to talk about, the middle, the part where your life doesn't look anything like you thought it would and no one is coming to hand you a new blueprint. I know that we've all been there, and here's the truth. Resilience doesn't feel powerful when you're living it. It feels disorienting and lonely, and a lot of the time it just feels like surviving. So what does it actually look like to rebuild a life, your whole life, when every certainty you've known changes. Well, Today's guest Paralympian Amy Purty has had to answer that question not once, but twice. At nineteen years old, Amy lost both of her legs, and what followed could have been a story about limitations. Instead it became a story about possibilities.
Speaker 2: When I lost my legs at nineteen, I fought for my life from the hospital. I lost my legs, my kidneys, my spleen, and the hearing in my left ear overnight, all at once. My life completely changed. So I had no idea what my life was going to be like. I'd never even seen somebody who had too prosthetic, so I didn't really even know what the possibilities were. But what I did know was that I was still me, and I still had my dreams at my goals. I wanted to define my own life, and that really took me on this journey of figuring out what the possibilities were, and it ended up taking me further than I ever could have imagined.
Speaker 1: Amy has embraced every challenge. It's so wild when you hear her talk about it. She never even entertained the idea that her dreams were out of reach. She became a three time Paralympic medalist in snowboarding and beyond competing, she was instrumental in advocating for snowboarding's inclusion in the twenty fourteen Paralympic Games in the first place. She did all of that through her nonprofit Adaptive Action Sports. She then became a finalist on Dancing with the Stars. A world renowned speaker, author, and someone who has continuously redefined what's possible, not just once, but over and over again. And what I think is one of the most interesting aspects of Amy's story isn't just what she's accomplished, it's how she thinks. She lays it all out in her new book, Bounce Forward, which includes the tools she used in her most uncertain times. They're tools that all of us could benefit from. So today, the question we're circling is if the most defining moments of our lives are the ones that we never saw coming, how do we learn to trust ourselves in the middle of the unknown. It's time to question everything with Amy Party, Amy Party, I'm so happy to be speaking to you. We're doing this on a Saturday, which feels like such a give on your end, so thank you for being here.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, are you, kitty, and I would be here any day of the week.
Speaker 1: So I think people know a lot of parts of your amazing story, and I want to start somewhere a little bit different. I want to talk about dreams a little bit. Your life had some really surreal, glamorous and unexpected moments, but I think this is my favorite one. I want to know if this is true, Madonna sexed you up over twenty years ago. If this is true, I need the whole story.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I haven't told the story in so long, and I love that you started here because you know what. This is a story I don't usually get to talk about, right. So, yes, Madonna sexed me up. I think I was like nineteen years old, maybe I was twenty. So I lost both my legs when I was nineteen from meningitis. I had no idea what my life was going to be like. But I used to flip through magazines and I would think, to myself, I wish I could see somebody like me doing something really cool. Is there a way to make these legs look badass? Because they kind of were. They were carbon fiber and metal, and so I had that vision in my head and all of a sudden one day, my prostatist who makes my legs, he said, there's this casting call and we don't know who it's for. You might be interested in it, and it's for a model that has a prosthetic leg, and so I signed up for it. I ended up going out to La finding out that it was for Madonna for her music video. It was called American Life, and I ended up going to this casting call. I got it. I ended up showing up the day of the shoot, and I don't think that the stylist really knew what to do with me. They ended up just kind of shuffling me and this line with other people. They put me in this long dress that covered my legs, and then they kind of pushed us out onto this runway where Madonna was sitting at the end of the runway and her music was playing, and each one of us had to walk down, turnaround, and walk back. And as I was walking down the runway and wearing this long dress, you couldn't see my legs. And I thought to myself, I know I'm here for my legs, you know, just because they make me unique, and so I better show them. And so I got to the end of the runway. I pulled up my dress in front of Madonna. I did this little dance and showed my legs, my metal legs, and then I turned around and I walked off and she ran backstage and she was like, oh my gosh, this is amazing. There's so much we can do with this. And she said to me, she goes, do you mind if I sex you up? And I was like, you're Madonna, you could do whatever you want to do.
Speaker 1: Yes. Also, she's an expert at sexing up.
Speaker 2: Oh totally. And you know, like I said, they didn't really know what to do with me. They put me in this long dress, they put braids in my hair. She took the braids out of my hair. She fleft my hair all up, so it was huge. She literally was like, take that dress off. She ended up grabbing these little boy shorts off of this one guy and just putting tape over my boobs and then putting like sparkles on me. I was immediately sexed up. And then she you know, turned on the music and I strutted down the runway and I did this whole thing, and she actually had me work with Jeremy Scott. He's a designer, but also he was helping us walk the runway really confidently, and it was so amazing. I think that was probably the first time that I really thought about the possibilities with these legs instead of looking at my legs like this is something that's going to slow me down. From that point forward, I thought, what can I do with these? You know, how can I use these in a way that instead of holding me back, maybe they can actually propel me forward if I lean into them. If that makes sense.
Speaker 1: It makes so much sense. And you know, as I've listened to your interviews over the years, that word possibility stands out to me so much. You of course have this major moment of tragedy early on in your life, but you've also had these miraculous, one of a kind, very unique moments. You were in talks for a major Hollywood franchise called the Kingsman sequel. You were a finalist on Dancing with the Stars. You became a three time Paralympic medalist. Like your life took on this scale in shape that I'm wondering if young Amy could have ever imagined.
Speaker 2: Young Amy could have never imagined even before I lost my legs, you know where I would go or what I would be capable of doing, especially after I lost my legs that nineteen so I got sick from something called bacterial meningitis. I fought for my life in the hospital. I lost my legs, my kidneys, my spleen, and the hearing in my left ear overnight, all at once. My life completely changed. So I had no idea what my life was going to be like. I couldn't even visualize, you know, what I would do in my future. I had never even seen somebody who had two prosthetic legs, so I didn't really even know what the possibilities were at that time. But what I did know was that I was still me, and I still had my dreams and my goals, and I wanted to travel the world, and I wanted to live a life of adventure, and I wanted to have worries to tell and that still lived inside of me. And so I would lay in my hospital bed and visualize what did I want for my future? You know, I didn't know if I'd be able to snowboard again on prosthetic legs. I didn't know if someday I'd make it to the Paralympic Games, because snowboarding wasn't even in the Paralympic Games. At that point, of course, I didn't know if I would do something like dancing with the Stars or any of that stuff. It wasn't a clear vision. But what I did know is that I felt inside that I deserved to live my best life no matter what, and that I wanted to define what my life was going to be like. I didn't want others to define my life because I lost my legs. I didn't want to be defined by a disability and what people typically think about being disabled. I wanted to define my own life and that really took me on this journey of figuring out what the possibilities were, and it ended up taking me further than I ever could have imagined.
Speaker 1: So, before you lost your legs, you were working as a massage therapist, and I've heard you say that this was your dream job. First of all, I find that amazing because I've actually never heard somebody say that. I think massage therapists are very special, great ones are very special, but I've never heard anybody call it their dream job. Why was that the dream? Back then?
Speaker 2: It was my dream because I wanted to travel the world. I loved helping other people. I had this job that could travel with me. All I needed were my hands and my massage table by my side. I didn't need anything else. I could live anywhere. I was helping to heal people. It felt so good. People would come and stressed out, they would leave feeling so much better. And I just remember feeling that so fulfilled, knowing that I could help somebody with their day, knowing that I could help somebody feel better about whatever it was they were going through. Sometimes they had vent on the table and sometimes they wouldn't, but you knew that you were helping them. And so I think that's when I found out that I liked connecting with other people. I liked helping people feel better about themselves. And you know, if anything is stayed the same from younger Amy to now older Amy, I'd say it's probably that thread of wanting to help other people and help other people feel good about themselves and their life. I loved that about massage, but also the fact that I could travel and I could snowboard and have this job that would travel with me. It was really fulfilling.
Speaker 1: Well, it's not lost on me that, like I know, massage is a mind, body, spirit experience, but you're touching people physically, and now you're a renowned speaker, you just have a new book out, Like, you're touching people emotionally, and it does feel connected to that same purpose, that same thread.
Speaker 2: I think. So I get asked quite a bit if I was the same when I was younger as I am now, Like did I know when I was younger that I would be so strong or that I would be so resilient? And to be honest, there's a lot of things that I am now that I didn't know I was then. Like, I'm not sure if that resilience and that strength was just built or if it was inside of me all along, Because when I was younger, I think people, especially my family, thought I was emotional. I wouldn't be able to handle what I was going through when I lost my legs, and I ended up finding this inner strength that got me through it. I mean, I've always been really emotional, and I think that's probably what connects me to other people as well. You know, I could cry at a sunset. I'm really compassionate. I'm really empathetic towards others, and I think that sometimes that can be looked at as weakness, when really I've found over time it's become a strength, especially being on stage now and speaking and being able to connect with other people. So there's certain things that I do think are different from younger Amy to older Amy, but there's certain threads that have stayed the same. And I think one of those threads is the fact that I enjoy connecting with other people. I want other people to feel good about their lives, no matter what challenges they're faced with. I think we all have the ability to live a great life. It's not trying to overcome our circumstances so we can live a great life. I think it's living a great life within our circumstances and that's okay. And not only is that okay, if you can do that, if you can really lean into who you are, what you have, you can live an incredible life, much bigger than you ever could have imagined. And so that thread of just wanting people to know that and feel good, I think that carried through from being a massage therapist to now standing on stage speaking, to writing a book or you know, anything else that I find myself in.
Speaker 1: My dad was a dentist when I was growing up, and obviously like to go to dental school. You're very science minded, and he doesn't believe in anything, like, he doesn't believe in ghosts, he doesn't believe in spirituality, he doesn't believe in the afterlife like he believes enough except for science. And he has this one story that he can't make sense of, which I'm going to give a very abridged version. But basically, he had this recurring nightmare growing up. And when I say recurring, he had it multiple times a year, and as he got older, he had it less and less. And when he graduated from dental school, the nightmare that he had it lived out in real time. And because he had that nightmare, it saved his life because he knew what was going to happen. And it's a story I hold on too, because I grew up with him as my father, and so I was like, I don't know what I believe in. And when I moved to LA I became a lot more spiritual, a lot more connected, I would say, And you have this story that I have held on to for years. It gives me chills every time I hear you share it. If you're willing to share it with us today. I would love to hear it from you first person. But you were a massage therapist and this one client came in unexpectedly. Will you tell us what happened after that?
Speaker 2: Yes? And by the way, I love your questions, because again, these are stories I don't get to tell that much. And that was a very profound moment for me. I was a massage therapist. I was working a full shift at the Spa Canyon ranch in Las Vegas, and I was walking out the door actually, and my manager came and got me. I think I was already at the garage, like by my car, and he came and got me, and he said, oh my gosh, Amy, there's a client that we forgot about. It's just sitting in the waiting room. Is there any way you can stay back and do a massage? And I said sure, and so I ran back in there. I didn't even have my massage rooms set up because there weren't any massage rooms available. I ended up setting him up in this wet room, just this random room, and I went into the waiting room, I got him, I brought him in. He was this older man. He had blue eyes, and I laid him down on the table, and what was so interesting is as soon as I put my hands on his back, we were just connected. We just had I don't know what it was. You just feel this energy exchange as a massage therapist, and you know, and somebody's just right there with you, and you can be right there with them, you can feel it. And so the minute I started to massage him, we got into this conversation. And one of the first things that he asked was he said, I'm going to ask you a question, and I don't want you to be scared of it, but have you crossed over to the other side? And I said, no, I haven't. But I knew exactly what he was talking about, because I had this feeling that had been building up in me for years that something was going to happen in my life. And I didn't know if it was good or bad. I just felt it. I had it written in my journal even that something's going to happen and I don't know what it is. It was almost like this anticipation that was something was about to come. And so when he said have you crossed over? I just assumed that's what he was talking about and I said, no, but I feel like something's going to happen. And he said, when it does happen, don't be scared. He then told me his story, which was he fell down a well when he was a kid. He almost died, and he crossed over. He had a near death experience and he came back and when he came back, his life was completely different. And he said, when you cross over, Amy, your life is going to be completely different. But don't be scared. This is how you figure out the depths of life. This is how you experience the depths of life. And I walked away from that massage in tears, feeling like this guy just kind of spoke to my soul, but not knowing what was going to happen. Obviously, I went home. I wrote that in my journal, that experience, and I think it was just a couple weeks later. It was maybe three weeks later that I was laying on the hospital bed in the emergency room. The doctors and nurses were saying I had less than a two percent chance of living. I was in cardiac arrest, I was in full kidney failure, and I was fighting for my life every second of my life, and I remember this conversation with the guy and I thought, Amy, he said, don't be scared when you cross over, don't be scared, and so in that moment it makes me emotional. But in that moment, I took a deep breath and I just thought, Okay, this is what he is talking about. Everything's going to be okay, and this is what was supposed to happen. And that moment was profound because I don't know who he was, right, he was like a messenger. Did he know he was a messenger. I don't know. I don't know if he knew that he was there to deliver this message or if he just had experienced something in his own life and he just felt that I would experience the same. I never was in touch with him again, you know, its very much so a premonition of what was to come. And he also said, your life is going to be amazing. You are going to do amazing things. And I remember thinking about that on my deathbed. This guy said I was going to do amazing things, and I think that just wired my brain to believe that, and I took that and ran with it.
Speaker 1: I'm like out of breath hearing you tell that story all these years later, how do you make sense of it?
Speaker 2: You know, there's times that I think, maybe we're angels to each other and we don't even know it. Maybe he came in not realizing how he was going to impact my life, truly that three weeks later I'd be fighting for my life and that his words would save me. And then there's other times that I think, no, there's so many magical things that we can't explain. And the more connected you are to I think the present moment, like when you can just be present. And when I was a massage therapist, I was so present. We didn't have our phones, we weren't caught up in different things. We were just in the moment with each other. That's what my every day was. And I think by being present you see the magic of life. That's when serendipitous moments happen. That's when you meet somebody that crossed your path at the right time, or somebody gave some premonition that happened, or somebody helped you at a time that you needed it. I don't know if this guy was truly an angel or if he was just another human that just happened across my path at the same time, and I paid attention. I think that's the beauty of life. I think that's how if you can walk around and take a breath and be present, that's when you notice all these amazing little things that connect. That's when you notice these special little moments and the little miracles that happen every day, and I choose to believe that they are something more than what we can see. I don't like to make sense of every single thing. I actually like the magic and the unknown, and I kind of like to keep it there a little bit. It feels special, you know, and that's a choice. You can dig into it. I have a very kind of mechanical brain and scientific brain. I like to dig in and make sense of everything, but I also like to hold certain things to just being these special moments that I can't explain, and I'm so grateful I've had them and they stay as these little, small, beautiful things of life.
Speaker 3: And that was one of them.
Speaker 1: I want to talk about sort of the sister to unknown, which I think is uncertainty, because you seem to have this unbelievable balance between belief and uncertainty, which I think is a very unusual two faiths or beliefs to have at the same time, they're almost opposing. You talk about how you're with your dad in the hospital and you're saying, can I please see my feet? And he says, no, we're working on your life right now. Your feet don't matter. And he uncovers the blanket and both of your feet are purple. And at the same time, I mean, I can't even imagine the shock of that, right and what you feel, and at the same time you're holding on to the belief of my life is going to be amazing. I think everybody listening is like, so uncomfortable with the uncertainty of life. What is your take on that?
Speaker 2: Looking back, I can say for sure that the possibilities live in the unknown. When we think about that for a second, which is that there is nothing scarier than the unknown. There is nothing scarier than having no idea what comes next. You know, whether you're going through like a loss of a job or a loss of identity, or injury or illness or disability, or anything that takes you away from what you're comfortable with. There's nothing scarier that not knowing what comes next. You're just kind of floating in the sea of possibilities. But when you think about it like that, that now, in that space, anything's possible. Truly, anything's possible because you don't know what comes next. You could go in any direction, and that's good if you can let yourself be there and let yourself be a little bit comfortable with being uncomfortable for a bit, because that's where things land in ways you never can expect or anticipate. When I was in the hospital, I saw my feet for the very first time. My dad lifted up the sheets because my feet hurt really bad. This was day two in the hospital, and my dad said, you know, we're not worried about your feet. We're worried about your life. And I thought, you know, I just want to see my feet. I want to see what's going on. And I saw that they were purple. In that moment, I was fighting for my life. Something interesting happens when you're fighting for your life. Your emotions cut off completely. You truly are in the present moment. You are in the here and now. There is nothing that makes you more present than knowing you're about ready to die. And there's something really calming about that as well. You're not caught up in oh my gosh, I haven't done this with my life, or I haven't done that, like the emotion that you think that you would be caught up in, the fear that you think you would be caught up in you don't feel, at least I didn't feel in that moment. It's very practical. I'm about ready to die and I am just in this moment right now, in this like in between space of I'm not connected to here and I'm not connected to there. I'm just present and it's just a very interesting place to be in. You would think it would be very scary, but it's actually very calming.
Speaker 1: Are you able to tap into that energy now, like when you're doing hard things, do you remember that feeling?
Speaker 2: I try to remind myself of that feeling, and I'll tell you why. I was just thinking about this even yesterday. And I mean I wrote about this in the book. I think chapter two or three is all about presence, but I've been really diving into that in my own life, just in my own practice daily. I find that when we are really present, that truly is when the magic happens. That's when you open up possibilities like I said, you might meet somebody, someone crosses your paths, something happens. Those serendipitous moments seem to happen in those in between moments. We're so busy going from point A to point B that we miss those moments. We might go from we're on a phone call and a car to jumping on an airplane. You know, if you have a busy life like that, or going to work and then taking care of your kids and then coming home and cleaning whatever it may be, it's just go, go, go go. I think it's the in between those moments, if we can pause and truly be present and look around us, that's where you see those little magical connections happen. It actually just happened the other day for me. I was in la and I was supposed to do a podcast with somebody who I was really excited to do a podcast with. In fact, we were trying to do this for years, and she has a huge podcast, and finally it was set up and she's in Malibu, and I was kind of running around trying to get other things done. My book's launching, but I was doing speeches at the same time. I had phone calls. I was actually a mess. I was kind of all over the place. I was feeling my nervous system just out of whack, and I thought, I don't think I can show up and be my best self right now. And I felt so bad, but I canceled with her, and I felt so bad the resistance that I felt. Canceling was actually the hardest thing ever. Nobody was putting this pressure on me but me. I just didn't want to let her down. And as soon as I let myself off the hook, I let myself breathe and I was like, everything's okay, okay, we'll figure this out. At the time that I was canceling with her, I was also even thinking about the driver. I was thinking, oh my gosh, the driver's going to be sitting up there for two hours and now he has to wait. So I was just thinking of everybody that I was inconveniencing. Well. Two hours later, as soon as the driver comes to pick me up, I get in the car and he's about ready to take me to the airport, and I said, I am so sorry. I canceled on you. I canceled this podcast. And he goes, oh my gosh, are you kidding me? I absolutely needed that, he goes, I have been so busy. I just sat on the beach. He goes, I let the wind go through my hair. I had a moment. Amy, I had a moment, and I had a moment that I absolutely needed. And I was like, oh my gosh, thank god I had a moment too. And I was like, I guess we both needed that, right, we both needed a moment, and so it made me feel so much better. Well, he ended up turning on this music in the car and we're driving down the beach and it was so relaxing and I took this deep breath and then he goes, do you want to get some frozen yogurt? He was this older guy, and do you want to get some frozen yogurt? And I was like sure, I don't have to be to the airport for a few minutes. So he took me to his favorite frozen yogurt place. We sit down with this driver I've never outside, and just have this awesome conversation have frozen yogurt. And he was like, this is what life is about. This right here, this spontaneous moment of taking a breath in between our day where we were both so busy. Now we get to connect and meet and have conversation, and I'm telling you, my nervous system relaxed so much. It was relaxed for like the next three days after that. I absolutely need he needed it. What I thought about was that was an in between moment, and had I have said, you know, no, let me just get to the airport, I got things to do. I got to check my emails when I get there, or something, I would have missed that moment. So I think when we can really pause and pay attention to those in between moments and just be as present as possible, that's not only what helps us live maybe really cool possibilities and stories in our life, but I think that helps us get through our challenges. Right, allows the world to drop away for a minute. Then you're just really in the middle of what matters most.
Speaker 1: Amy. You've been able to manifest so many successes in your life. You've written about it. Has there ever been something that you've deeply believed would happen for you that didn't?
Speaker 2: Yeah, actually, and you know some of these things did happen, right, I swear I manifested Oprah and Dancing with the Stars and Paralympics. Maybe I didn't know exactly what they looked like, but I knew that I could do these things, and I went on to do them. The Oprah thing, I mean, I used to watch Oprah every single day. I knew I would be on her show, and I ended up being on tour with her.
Speaker 1: That's when I was first introduced to you. It was that interview.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what that in itself was manifestation because while I was on tour with Oprah, I was on tour with her, Deepak Chopra and Liz Gilbert. I had already written about them in my first book that was about ready to come out, and I was able to just knock on their dressing room door hand them the galley of my book and they endorsed it right there. But I had written about them in the book, and then they were there, we were on tour together. It was just so amazing the way that it came together. But what hasn't happened is I always wanted to be in a movie. I always wanted to be like a superhero in a movie because I thought it would be so cool with these legs. You can do so much with these legs. They're bionic and you can turn them into anything. They don't have to look real to actually watch. Let's say, like a superhero character that isn't cgi that those are actually real legs and we make them look really cool. I just think that would be the coolest thing. And that's something that I've been very close to, but it hasn't happened.
Speaker 1: That's a TVD. I believe in your powers. I think it will happen.
Speaker 2: I now now, I'm sorry to wonder. These are some of the things where you're like, wait a second, but why is the manifestation not happening? You know, I'm like, I am getting older. I'm no longer like at the physical level that I was at when I was, like, you know, an athlete, at the peak of my physical abilities. But you never know, you know.
Speaker 1: I had a question for you that I kind of want to change up. I've read and listened to you speak about rebuilding and reinvention. You've had to reinvent yourself multiple times, and I was going to ask you what part of you has remained true throughout all these reinventions. But I'm actually more curious. I briefly met your husband right before we started recording, and he was so sweet. He kissed you on the forehead before you started recording. And I'm curious if you're okay talking about it, if you feel like he understands the Amy before you were nineteen who had her legs, and if he understands the Amy after because he only met the Amy after.
Speaker 2: I love this question. I used to feel like he didn't know who I was before I met him not long after I lost my legs. I mean I lost my legs when I was nineteen. I think I met him two or three years after that. I met him right after my kids transplant, actually, and when I was younger and we were first dating, I struggled a little bit with my identity, for sure, because here I had lost my legs, but yet I still felt like the same person. I tried to kind of be the same person a little bit, but then I would be a little bit insecure about it. We moved in together right away, and we lived on the beach in San Diego, and I'd go out and show my legs because I'd be wearing a swimsuit and people would look at me, and that would be uncomfortable. And so then I remember I would say to him, you know, I never used to feel this way, or before I lost my legs, I would have been able to do this. Maybe it was just because we were fresh and dating that I felt like I needed him to know who I was before, Like, had I have not lost my legs, I was like this. I also had a kidney transplant, so after that, it's not like I was able to really drink much. And we were both young, and he loved to go out, and he loved to listen to music, and he loved to party, and I couldn't quite do some of those things. But I'm from Vegas, So I remember saying, like, two years ago, I would have been to do all this, and I can't do this now, I think because I wanted him to know who I was. But I'll tell you, I don't know if he really knows who I was then, but he certainly knows who I am now. He knows me better than anybody. He has seen me in my greatest moments and in my absolute darkest days, and he's still here and that is so amazing. But you know, I've also seen him in his darkest days, and I'm still here. Those roadways, right.
Speaker 1: Do you have any grief around that that he didn't know you before? Or No, it doesn't sound like you do.
Speaker 2: No, because I appreciate my journey so much. I appreciate who I've become because of what I've gone through. When I look back at videos now, I don't even know who she was, and that's okay. I've grown and developed so much because of what I've gone through. I am grateful for every single thing that I gone through, even when it's been so hard at times. I wouldn't change it for the world. It really has made me who I am, and I wouldn't know the people I've known. I wouldn't know the depths of life, like the pain of life, but also that pain is what gives you purpose. I wouldn't know that feeling if I had not gone through it myself. And so I look back at my younger self and I think she had no idea what the world had in store for her. But I'm so happy that she didn't give up, and that she just kept going and figured it out along the way.
Speaker 1: I don't know if not giving up is even the right term, amy, because after you lost your legs just months after your amputation, you decided you were going to snowboard again, and so many people would have probably just let go of their passion, and you responded almost in the complete opposite way.
Speaker 2: First of all, I fell in love with snowboarding when I was fifteen. I knew it was something that I wanted to do for the rest of my life, one way or another. So I was so grateful that I had that passion that pulled me through my toughest moment. When I was in the hospital and I lost my legs, I didn't even really think about will I walk again? I just thought will I snowboard again? To the point of where I asked the doctors every day, am I going to be able to snowboard? Can I snowboard? And it's in all my medical notes. They're like patients asking if she can snowboard again, and we're not sure. I'm so grateful that I had the passion of snowboarding, because that definitely is what carried me through some of my darkest days. I didn't know if I'd be able to do it again. All I knew is that I wanted to do it, and I felt in my heart that I could figure out a way to do it. Again. I remember laying in my hospital bed visualizing myself snowboarding. I saw myself carving down this mountain of powder, and I visualized it so strong. I could feel it. I could feel the wind against my face, I could feel the beat of my racing heart. I saw it so vividly, so clearly, and I was so excited that I thought to myself, I don't know how I'm going to do this, but I know that I can do this again. And just allowing myself to believe that, just to have a moment of maybe I can do this again. Okay, don't think about the fact that you just lost your leg Samy, but like just lean into how you feel right now. Like when I did that, that led me to believe that I could do this again. And I think for all of us, you know, we get in our own way. We stop ourselves before we get started because we think, well, I can't do that, I'm too old, or I can't do that, you know, my time has passed. Just allow ourselves to believe like we did as kids for one minute, and like get excited about something and actually believe that maybe that is possible. It's amazing where that belief can take you. And for me, I carried that feeling of the vision I had of what it felt like to snowboard again on prosthetic legs, and I just carried that forward and I started working on different legs and different feet so that I could snowboard. I actually built my first pair of feet for snowboarding because there weren't any feet on the market for snowboarding.
Speaker 1: So wait, I need you to go deeper into that, because you kind of just said that as if that was no big deal. You created your own prosthetics.
Speaker 2: I did. Now I have to tell you there's different parts of the prosthetic that I definitely did not create. So there's this carbon fiber part to your leg, like, I didn't create all that. I'm not welding the metal, you know, all of that stuff. But I got up on my snowboard and I knew that my ankles weren't moving in the way that I needed them to. And I got up on my snowboard about four months after I got my new prosthetic legs, so that was maybe six months after I lost my legs. I got up on a snowboard.
Speaker 1: That's fucking crazy, Amy, that's crazy. I'm sorry to curse, but that's nuts.
Speaker 2: Well, when I was in the hospital, well, I gave myself three goals when I was being wheeled into the operating room, And the first goal was that I wasn't going to feel sorry for myself, that I wasn't a victim because I was losing my legs and I didn't want to act like a victim. The second goal that I gave myself was that I was going to snowboard that year because I had never missed a year of snowboarding and I wasn't about ready to. And then the third goal was when I figured this mess out, I would help others do the same. And so I just kind of ran with those three goals. It was about four months after getting my new legs that I ended up getting up on a snowboard for the first time and seeing what it felt like. And it didn't go good. My legs didn't bend right, my ankles didn't move, my legs came off. I actually fell, my legs went down the mountain with my snowboard. It was a whole thing. But I thought to myself, Okay, if I can figure out a way to keep these legs attached to me, if I can figure out a way to get my ankles to move the way I need them to, maybe I actually can do this again. And so I went home, and I I ended up working for the next year trying to figure out a way to snowboard on two prosthetic legs. I took different parts and pieces from other existing prosthetics that I had.
Speaker 3: I took an.
Speaker 2: Ankle from one brand and a foot from another brand. I turned the ankle around backwards, and I put a bunch of wood under the heels and used a bunch of duct tape and basically ended up kind of Frankensteining a pair of feet to snowboard in, and they allowed me to snowboard.
Speaker 1: I have a question about what you just said, if you don't mind me chiming in. So you said when you were snowboarding, the prosthetics fell off and were like down the mountain. I don't want to harp on what's hard, but I'm curious how you felt at that moment, because I love to ski, and sometimes, like if I lose my skis and they go down the mountain, I start to feel sorry for myself because I'm like, oh God, I have to climb up the mountain to get this, like it's going to be brutal. Did you ever have a moment when you looked at your prosthetics down that mountain and thought like, oh my god, I can't believe this is happening to me. Or did you just always had this perseverance.
Speaker 2: Oh? No, I have gone through every emotion that you can go through. I think that anybody would go through, especially in a moment like that. I was embarrassed. I was with my friends. I didn't know my legs would come off. That was like the first time I had been on a snowboard and I wasn't sure how it was going to go. I knew how to snowboard beforehand, and I loved it, obviously, so I was very discouraged that I'd be able to do it again. So, sitting there on the mountain without my legs, my sister and my friend had a hike down the mountain, hike back up with my legs and my snowboard, and I was so discouraged, and I thought, clearly, it's not possible. Otherwise you would see this, And at that time, you didn't see somebody with two prosthetic legs snowboarding. So everything in that moment was this isn't possible. My dream that I love so much, I'm never going to be able to do again. This is so much harder than I At that point, there was no path, but I remember taking just a little bit of a breath, you know, I let myself break down for a minute and feel that feeling of pure defeat, like physically and literally defeat. But I felt it right. I felt defeated in that moment. But then I thought, wait a second, if I can figure out a way to get my legs to not come off, if I can figure out a way to get my ankles to move the way that I need them to, maybe I can do this again. And this is when I learned that the challenges in our lives can only do two things. One stop us dead in our tracks, or two force us to get creative. And so that's exactly what I did. I ended up going home and getting creative and figuring out a way to snowboard again, you know, allowing myself to break down and then find some clarity so that I can get creative and move forward. It's that in between moments, that moment where you can make a choice that changes everything, and that changes your direction completely, because I could have easily walked away from that day and never snowboard again and said, this is clearly impossible, and even though I felt it for a minute, I let myself feel it. But then, you know, I kind of reframed it a little bit like, maybe it is possible. Maybe if I did this, it would be possible. I haven't tried everything yet. We can't give up on ourselves so quickly.
Speaker 1: I really agree with you. It kind of brings me to your book dedication. Everyone listening knows that I love a book dedication, and yours really got me. You write to the person facing a challenge, whether it's a challenge you choose or a challenge that chooses you. When's the last time you chose challenge in your life?
Speaker 2: Every day in my life, even being here with you, to be.
Speaker 1: Honest, no way, Really, what do you mean?
Speaker 2: I'm actually quite an introvert, so even showing up on podcasts, being interviewed, even showing up on stage, which I've made a whole career out of speaking and corporate speaking, which is wild because I'm an introvert. I mean, maybe I'm an extrovert. Introvert like I can pull myself together to do things, but I'm quite shy and I never felt like it was in me to get up on stage. I'm not the first person to grab a microphone and share my story, but yet I've made a career out of it. And I did it by challenging myself every single time just to see what the possibilities were. And I do that every single day. I feel like just moments like this, having this conversation, I think there's a lot of people out there that stop themselves from figuring things out because they don't think that they're cut out for it. And I think we all feel that way at times. That's why I'm sharing this that even doing the things I've done, and I've done a million interviews and I've been on TV and I've been on stages, I still feel that way too, and so musing to take a challenge on just to grow and just to see what the possibilities are. That's something that we can do big like oh, I'm going to run a five K or I'm going to start this new job or create a new business, or that could be just the small day to day things like I'm going to say, is something that makes me uncomfortable and just see what's possible.
Speaker 1: Does it get easier for you over time?
Speaker 2: You start to trust yourself Over time, I would say, even on stage, I used to be so nervous. I mean for years, and I've had a full speaking career at that time as well, and I was still so nervous every time I got on stage. In fact, I still get nervous. I get nervous excited. I just try to reframe those nerves into excitement. I look at it like, this is just energy, right. It could be nervous energy, or it can be excited energy. I'm going to choose to make it excited energy. But every single time that you have to step out of your comfort zone, it's uncomfortable. But those are the moments that you figure out what you're really made of. And those are the moments that you figure out what you love and what you're capable of doing. And those are the moments where you can go in any direction. All of a sudden, you know, doors may open that you didn't expect. For me, I think I'm constantly putting myself in a place of discomfort just to grow and just to figure out what I'm capable of. When I did Dancing with the Stars, I had no idea I'd be able to dance on two prosthetic legs. It was the scariest thing ever, and I thought, I'm going to fail in front of millions of people. But then I thought, but I'm never going to know what I'm capable of unless I step out there and do it. And then I realized I was so much more capable than I ever thought. And that's what I hope for everybody. That's why I wrote this book because I feel like a lot of people think that some of us are just strong, or some of us are just resilient, or some of us just have it easy, when really we all have the same possibilities within us. We just have to sometimes have a little guidance, maybe something to lean on, just to know that we're not alone, and also a little guidance to get through those challenging times, just to realize what we're capable of.
Speaker 1: Your new book that you just mentioned is called Bounce Forward, and it is really about moving through uncertain times, which I think in twenty twenty six, we're all living through uncertain times. In a lot of ways, and you devote an entire chapter to getting unstuck, and I really really love that chapter. That feeling of stuckness is universal. It's something I've felt quite often in my life, and I know I always tell myself, Danielle, you're not a tree. Move and then I try and move past it. But when you have a physical or mental or emotional stagnation, what helps you get past that feeling or what tends to help you get past it?
Speaker 2: By moving, even if it's not in the direction that is going to take you anywhere. Literally, just moving, even if you just move your body, it's really easy to get stuck and not know what comes next, or not be inspired, or you know, just feel like nothing's moving. Right. We all have times in our life where nothing's happening, and maybe you get excited or you get used to big things happening. Then all of a sudden, nothing's happening, and now you're stuck and you're lost, and you don't know what comes next. Just by moving your body, just by going for a walk, just by going for a run, just by getting on the floor and doing sit ups. I swear that when you move your body, your entire life moves it gets the ball rolling, if nothing else, It's helped me so many times in my life. And I wrote this book, and in this book, I talk about a story of when I injured my legs seven years ago severely, and a lot of this book follows that journey of getting back on my feet again, going through all these surgeries, trying to figure out what's next for my life. And even in those moments where I was sitting in a wheelchair, I wasn't able to walk, I didn't know what came next. I would get on the floor and I would do push ups and sit ups, and I would turn on my favorite music and I would move my body, and I swear that all of a sudden clarity would come and then I would feel so much better, and I'd be able to come up with new ideas. I'd be more creative, I'd be more resilient. And so just by allowing yourself to move, just that simple thing, I mean, that's the opposite of being stuck in one place, right. I think we oftentimes wait for things to move us, when we have to remember that the energy starts with us. We wait for things to come our way. A lot of times for things to change. Right, You can sit back and wait for things to change, but that energy really has to start with us, and it can be as easy as a decision, just deciding to get up and move and do something different. Get in your car, put on music, go for a drive. You get so much clarity, then you get ideas. All of a sudden, it feels like your whole life is moving. It all starts from just that spark of energy that you have to show up with. And we all have that.
Speaker 1: I think a lot of people. And when I say a lot of people, I think sometimes me too. So we all imagine hardship as sort of this chapter that you endure and then you move past. Because of what happened to you at nineteen, it feels like hardship is a repeat chapter for you. Like, what does it feel like when it repeats when you thought it was closed Because you just mentioned seven years ago you had this whole nother horrible experience.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, you know when I was nineteen and I lost my legs. At that time, I was fighting for my life. And then seven years ago, I severely injured my left leg when my prosthetic pushed into my poploatil artery. It shut down the entire arterial system of my left legs, so I lost my femeral artery, my poploatil artery. I almost lost my leg all the way up to my hip. So even though I'm already an amputee, I lost my legs below the knees. When I was nineteen. Now I was fighting for the rest of my leg. And the way that injury actually happened was doing all the stuff that I was doing on prosthetic legs, snowboarding and dancing and stuff that you don't normally do on prosthetic legs, ended up severely injuring my leg. So when I was younger, people would always ask me how I got through my most difficult challenges, and I didn't really know how to answer that. I just kind of did. And I don't know if it was because I was younger, I was more resilient. I just kind of, like, I don't know, I just kept moving forward. When it happened a second time and I was completely knocked off my feet, and this was big. I had ten surgeries all during COVID, had no idea if I'd walk again. This time, I became profoundly aware of the things that were helping me along the way. First of all, it was way more challenging as I was older going through this. You would think because I went through it before, or something very heavy before, that I would have been stronger this time. I surprisingly wasn't. I grieved so hard what I was losing because I had rebuilt my life for twenty years. I had gotten to a certain spot where I thought I went through my story. I thought that was my story. I lost my legs, and then I went on to do all these amazing things. I thought that was my story and what it was going to be. Then all of a sudden, I was knocked off my feet again, and I was at a point where I had no idea if i'd ever walk again. The doctor said, you'd be lucky if you'll even walk to the mailbox again. So here I figured out the possibilities snowboarding on prosthetics, dancing on prosthetics, all these things I could do. Now I'm being told I may never be able to do those things again. I completely lost my identity. I grieved so hard, and I was so worried about losing the rest of my leg I didn't know who I was without my legs as I knew them. They became a huge part of my identity. These bionic prosthetic legs that I used all these years became my identity. Now I was maybe losing those And I became very aware though this time, of what was helping me get through some of those moments like grief, what was helping me get through some of those moments like anxiety. I felt so much anxiety because I didn't know what the future held. I didn't know what I'd be able to do again, and I would spiral. I mean, I would panic attack at night because the sun would go down all of a sudden, the world would crush down on me, and I would think, I'm never going to walk again, I'm never snowboaring again, I'm never doing the things I love again. Who am I if I don't do these things? What is the world that even see me as? Now? They're going to see me as this sad, disabled girl, and that's not me at all. I just had this complete internal struggle. But then I'd have these little moments where I'd feel better, and then I would ask myself, Okay, what just happened? Why do I feel better? And I would write those things down, and those things became the chapters of this book and really the framework of this book. It's those little things that helped me along the way. And you know, I know that I went through major, heavy stuff, but we all go through stuff every single day, and each one of these kind of tools and chapters and practices that I have in the book they apply to no matter how big or small the challenge is. It could be a massive challenge like what I've gone through, injury or disability, whatever it may be. It could be a small challenge as well. Sometimes we just need, for one be reminded of our own resilience. It's all in there. We just have to kind of have little things to lean on to help us get through those tough moments. And it's also sometimes the most simple of things that can get you through the hardest of times, like gratitude. That's something we talk about all the time. It's almost cliche now just to be grateful for what you have, But when you are facing some of your hardest moments, the more grateful you are, the easier it is to get through those challenges. You actually get through them and get to the other side and realize just how much you have and then that starts to grow. Just little practices like practicing gratitude can completely change your life.
Speaker 1: Please correct me if I'm wrong, But it seems from the outside that you've found so much meaning in so many of your losses. I'm wondering if there's ever been a loss in your life that you couldn't really find a silver lining too, or where there was nothing to do but to live with it, or if you feel like there really is meaning in all of it.
Speaker 2: I would say it was this injury. A lot of the time, with this injury, it did not make sense to me. I did not know how it would lead to anything good or anything better than what I had already done. You know, when I lost my legs when I was nineteen, it made sense. I lost my legs and I went on to do these things. It was easy to say, oh, there's a silver lining. It led to here. I wouldn't have been here if I didn't go through.
Speaker 1: That right there was like a whole hero's journey you went.
Speaker 2: Through completely and this time did not play out this way. I did not make it and still have not made it to the top of this mountain where I've looked back and said, I did it. Oh my gosh, and I'm so happy I went through what I went through like it has been such a journey, and I actually wrote this book in the middle of it because I realized that resilience isn't necessarily when you get to the other side and you've made it. Resilience is the climb, and it's the things that help you put one step in front of the other and one foot in front of the other. That is resilience. But that's when you realize how strong you really are. And I think we just get so outcome focused on thinking that's where our happiness lies. But really the fulfillment of life really is in the journey, and sometimes in the hardest parts of the journey, like those are the moments that stick with you the most. Those are the moments where you learn more about yourself, you learn more about your relationships, you get closer to God or spirit, whatever it may be, and ultimately, I think closer to your purpose. You have to go through that pain to be connected to what matters most to you. And this journey has just taught me that. Because I haven't made it to the other side, I don't know what the other side looks like right now. But I'll tell you I've also chosen to make sense of it. I haven't really sat back and waited for do I think this was meant to be, because there's amazing things that happened on the other side. I have chosen to make this make sense for me.
Speaker 1: Amy. I love how you said that, because if I can be so transparent with you, you are so unbelievably positive that I think sometimes people could hear your story and think that's just how she is. Like I can't be like that, you know, like she must have this temperament that I don't have. I love hearing you say that it was a choice that makes so much sense to me.
Speaker 2: It is a choice it is. It is funny too, because I'll be honest. I mean, if my husband was here, he'll probably say she's not the most positive. I go through the same thing that everybody else would go through, I promise you, and every challenge that I've faced, I have dealt with the exact same emotions that every single person I think would deal with. I think it just depends on what you do with them and how quickly you can reframe your situation. I've learned in my life. I'm an excellent reframer. I think I've had to be. I actually wrote a chapter on reframing in the book, because it really is kind of our greatest tool that we have to get through adversity. It's knowing that you can change your own mind, and it's trying to see other perspectives. And the quicker you can do that, the quicker you can get through a difficult situation. And it could be a difficult situation that's again like just a simple one, like your day's not going right, and then just well, maybe it's not supposed to be. Maybe I'm supposed to take a break and take a breath, you know, framing in a situation versus kind of sitting and letting yourself stay stuck in a negative emotion. It's let me see a different perspective really quick and see if I can get myself out of this. I mean, I think my brain has just been trained to do that now because I've gone through so many difficult situations and I've trained myself to see the positive or to see the opportunity in the challenge. And I think that's something that we all do.
Speaker 1: I agree with you made the choice to have it be meaningful. It's really a beautiful statement. You know. You pose this question in the book that I Love so after you write about having to learn to walk again, you say that for so long you were sure that your purpose was to push physical limits, and suddenly you found yourself asking who am I and what is my purpose?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: I would love to know your answer to that question today. Do you feel like you found it?
Speaker 2: I think our purpose can change. First of all, I think that's important to know because we oftentimes think that there's one purpose and we're constantly trying to find it. I think that we create it in the moments that we're in. What is driving you? That's your purpose? That's it? And so I would say, right now, I've found my purpose for the moment. And I think my purpose for the moment was to write this book right the things that have helped me along the way, so that I could help others do the same, so that you know, I could help people on their journey as well. That feels like a good purpose, That feels like it makes sense for why I've gone through what I've gone through. And so I'd say I know my purpose for right now, I don't necessarily know what my purpose will be in the future, and that's fine because we're always changing and we're always growing. And I think when we lean into whatever it is that pains you, that's where you'll find your purpose. Because what pain thank you is what then can motivate you and what can give you drive to make change or make things happen. And so we need to not avoid the pain. We need to lean into it. Feel it, let it make us angry, or let it make us sad, let it make us feel something. That's where we find our drive. And our drive really is our purpose, Like that's what gets you up every day, that's what gets you moving forward. I guess they answer your question. I mean, I think the pain that I've gone through over the last seven years has led me to my purpose right now of writing this book and helping others through their journey as well.
Speaker 1: Love that advice, think about where your pain is stemming from. I mean, one of the most common questions I think I hear is how do I find my purpose? It's a beautiful sort of compass, and.
Speaker 2: We think that our purpose is outside of us, and just like this beautiful, big, shiny thing like something that's just positive, but really you oftentimes get there through the pain that you feel. I mean you think about anything. You think about somebody who starts a nonprofit and organization. A lot of times that comes because nothing existed before that. There needs to be support in this area. You know, maybe somebody lost a child and now they started a foundation in their name, because that pain motivates you to do something to make change. All of a sudden, you find your purpose in that pain. And we want to avoid our pain, but our pain is really what brings us deeper into our lives, into what matters most in our lives and who we are and what's important to us, and that is what opens the doors to finding or making purpose in our life.
Speaker 1: Amen. I saw you recently speak about not being able to snow board in the last seven years, and I'm curious if you have completely closed that chapter, if you think you'll find your way back on to a board anytime.
Speaker 2: I have not closed the chapter. I still have dreams that I'll be able to snowboard again. This thing that saved my life, that gave me life, it's how I met my husband, it's how we started our organization, Adaptive action sports. It has been the core part of my life. I have not been able to do for seven years, and it has been devastating at times, and I've grieved it heavily, and if I think too hard about it, I can still grieve it. But I choose to believe that if it's meant to happen, it will happen. But I also accept where I'm at today, and that's taken some time. For quite some time, quite a few years, I did not accept where I was at. I did try to get back and I realized at some point that is not happening. Seven years has passed, and it's just one little kind of baby step at a time that keeps moving me forward. I keep getting closer. I know that if I can walk comfortably again in prosthetics like very long distances, then I'll be able to snowboard in prosthetics again. But do I know if that's going to happen. No, And so I've just chosen to be present with where I'm at right now, do everything I can with what I've got. That's what I've always done, is just focused on what I have, and that has brought a lot of fulfillment. Okay, I can speak and I can talk to people and connect with people in this way that brings fulfillment. You know, we have our organization we help other people snowboard who have disabilities. That brings fulfillment. And I've just chosen to lean into the moment and that's helping me get by. That's why I wrote it in the book as well. And We'll just have to see what the future holds. I'm not sure, but I'll tell you what. If I do get on my snowboard again, it's going to be a party.
Speaker 1: Hell yeah it is. I want videos, I want pizza, I want a DJ. It's going to be a moment.
Speaker 2: What I'm like, come out, everybody, celebrate. I have a vision that happening. But again, I'm like, I just wrote a book called Bounce Forward. It's not about getting back. It really is like, let's just see where it goes. And I also have chosen to accept where I'm at and that gives you so much freedom.
Speaker 1: Are you competitive with everything? Are you a competitive Monopoly player? Un player? Everything?
Speaker 2: You would think I'm competitive because of the things I've done being a competitive athlete, but I don't actually feel that competitive, at least I'm not competitive against anybody else. I really am just always trying to figure out what can I do? What can I do on two prosthetic legs? I have no idea, and I have no idea until I do it, And so yeah, I think I'm just always trying to figure out the possibilities. I just think we're capable of so much. We don't even realize stop ourselves before we even get started with things. We believe we can't do things because of one excuse for another. And I really do think that we have so much potential when we believe it and we don't get in our own way.
Speaker 1: Do you mind if I ask you a few rapid fire questions?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 1: Okay, what's your favorite Madonna song?
Speaker 2: Like a Prayer?
Speaker 1: I thought you were going to say, like a Virgin, like a prayer? What is the most unexpected dance move that you nail?
Speaker 2: Spinning in the air. I don't know if you saw our finale dance on Dancing with the Stars, but I spun in the air with one hand holding onto one just little rope through the air. Was unbelievable and I would have never imagined I could do it.
Speaker 1: That was wild, It was wild.
Speaker 2: And I learned that in half a day. Like that's something that can take months or years for these acrobats to do. I did it in half a day. But I was also the strongest I've ever been, so I definitely wouldn't be able to do it today.
Speaker 1: But you did it, then you did it, and that's what matters. What is your most underrated skill set?
Speaker 2: Honestly, I think I'm just extremely determined.
Speaker 1: What's your best fashion accessory?
Speaker 2: My legs, my prosthetic legs? Of course?
Speaker 1: What is the TV show everyone needs to watch?
Speaker 2: I'm the worst at TV. I literally don't watch TV.
Speaker 1: Do you watch movies or your reader? What do you do to wind down?
Speaker 2: I'm like a brain wanderer. I take a bath, I put candles on, I let my brain just kind of wander. I don't know what I do with my nighttime. Sometimes I cook. My husband's a movie watcher, and I cannot get into it. I'm always doing other projects or cooking, or you know, doing something else at the same time.
Speaker 1: What is something that every woman should try once?
Speaker 2: If you don't do like the whole Spa, which a lot of people don't, I'm surprised there's a lot of women who don't do massages and stuff like do that because just to have a quiet moment with yourself, you start to realize, oh I carry tension in my shoulders, Oh I need to really even emotions will come up. We all need to take care of ourselves. Self care is so important for women specifically. You take on so much. So I would say, give yourself a day at the spot, get a massage, relax, and let yourself truly decompress.
Speaker 1: What is a book that you've read that changed your life, something you think everybody should read.
Speaker 2: There's a book that's very old called Your Thoughts Can Change Your Life by an author named Donald Curtis, and it's hard to find that book. It's one of the very first self help books, I believe. I think it was written maybe in the forties or fifties, and I read it after I lost my legs, and it completely changed my life because it actually confirmed what I already believed about visualization, about the possibilities about manifestation, but not in this like out there magical way, in this way that you can tangibly make these things happen in your life and how the world is connected. When I read that, when I was younger. It just helped me make sense of where I was at after losing my legs. And I also found some really magical things connect after I read that book, where I thought, oh, this is exactly what this book was talking about. So it's kind of confirmed in me what I've already known, and I always go back to that book speaks truth. So if you can find it, I think they're like on eBay at this point.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm going to ask you a question from the question Everything card game. You tell me when to stop stop? Okay? Ooh, what is a lyric, poem, mantra or quote that you hold on too tightly?
Speaker 2: You know? The one that I wrote in my book is be here Now. And obviously it's not one that I created. I've heard it a time. There's a movie out there called be Here Now that deeply impacted me when I was going through some of my toughest days. It's a documentary and it's about just being present and the power of presence. I even wrote it down on little note card. I put it in my wallet so that every time I open my wallet, I see be here Now, and it just reminds me to be in the present. Moment, because in the present moment, everything is okay and we realize that we are okay.
Speaker 1: My last question for you is do you ever think of trying to find that man that you massaged three weeks before your meningitis. I, to be honest, don't think that he would be alive now, because he was quite older when I massaged him.
Speaker 2: I wish I had looked back, and I think I didn't because my fight to survive was so long, and you know, suddenly I was just in that space. And it wasn't really till years later that I really reflected back and wrote my first book about it, and I think at that point I figured that he had maybe prossed over to the other side officially, But yeah, I do think about it. And actually that's probably one of the biggest questions I get from people, is did I ever try to find him again? And I'm not sure at this point if I'd be able to, But I'm so grateful that he came into my life. Just him telling me that everything was going to be okay and don't be scared, just that may have been enough to allow me to move forward and know that I was going to be okay. Our words are very so much power, and I think that we can maybe all be that guy for other people, right Like we could be the person saying, Hey, you're amazing. You're going to go through hard things, but just know that you're going to get through it and you're going to do amazing and you're going to have an incredible life.
Speaker 1: Oh where are your tears coming from? What are you feeling?
Speaker 2: Just those words were so powerful for me. I think that those words can be so powerful for other people as well. And we need to remember that we can help each other and we're here to do that. I think that's why we're here, is to connect and to help each other grow. We need each other, and yet we get so separated because of our phones and our day to day lives, and we get so caught up in our own stuff. We all do, I do, but I think just remembering truth, which is we need each other and sometimes we just need to know that we're not alone, and we need to hear kind words from each other to help us believe in ourselves.
Speaker 1: His words really help save your life, they did, you know?
Speaker 2: Going back to the question you asked before, if things are really meant to be or kind of how all that works out. I sometimes think about its words and I think, did he know that I was going to be okay and that my life would go on and I would do amazing things? Or did him just telling me that give me the belief that I could do that? And so then I did. And that's why I say that words have power. I think that even just him saying, when you cross over, don't be scared, You're going to go on and do amazing things. I think just that belief. This guy said it, so I'm going to choose to believe it was enough for me to survive something that very few people survive. And that's the power of belief.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much, Ami.
Speaker 2: Thank you, this has been wonderful.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know what time it is. Today's a good day. To have a good day. I'll see you next week.