Speaker 1: Nollian.
Speaker 2: All right, Roy, we are back today. We are joined by a very special, very talented guest. I got a beef to pick with you, but I'm gonna pick that beef with you after. I guess we shouldn't argue, we shouldn't fight in front of company. But you should have. You should have sent me this project the day the night it dropped, I talked about it. But you know I have ADHD, so you're supposed to like, no, no, stop what you're doing and play this project. Today we were joined by another d m V. We just talking about the DMV, yes, and it being like you just a hub for extreme talent a d m V. I'm gonna say he's a legend. I d K is in the building. Ladies, Well, there's no ladies and gentlemen. Yes, we never have ladies in the building. How you feeling man? We never have podcast? What podcast world is? We have ladies in the building, like you got you gotta fix that? Well we got we have some ladies sometimes coming in next time. Yeah, bring some ladies.
Speaker 1: How you feeling, man, I'm good, I'm good.
Speaker 2: So E t d S right. But before we get there, because I was reading up on you obviously been following you for a while, but listening to this project et ds uh even the Devil Smiles available now DSPs. If you haven't heard this, it's one of the best projects that you're probably going to hear in the last ten to fifteen years. Without a doubt. I'm getting right to it. How the hell did you get a DMX feature?
Speaker 3: That's easy, I'll be I don't mean getting the features easy. Answering the question, Okay, yeah, yeah, I did a song for him before he passed. It's actually me and Denzel Curry and uh uh, he's done. We did cleared prayers for the projects prior, so it was like, you know, by the time he, you know, left us, I had a beat well when he left us. A little after that, a couple of years after that, I had this beat from ke Trinada and I heard it and it was a beat I originally passed on. And then I heard that ship and I was just like, yo, it sounds like some Rough Riders type shit, but like with a little bit of a different swing. And the way I seen him DJ it made me understand the beat more than before I had actually seen him DJ. So, so I like he just got this thing where he'll play something like that and it'll be ladies dancing to it and.
Speaker 1: All this stuff.
Speaker 3: And once I saw that vision, I was like, all right, this beat is like a little different than what I originally thought. And I was like, man, I wonder what happened to them vocals and what they do with that song. So I hit Pat from his team and Pat was like, yo, I still got it.
Speaker 1: You know, we don't know what we want to do with.
Speaker 3: It, and I asked for his blessing to try it on the song. Once we tried it and we all loved it, it was like, oh, let's, you know, go through the proper channels, the family, fiance, everybody, to fan kids.
Speaker 1: To clear it.
Speaker 3: I got on a call with everybody, let them know my intentions for it, and they gave me the blessing. So it's the first actually approved or a state approved feature that came out since his passive.
Speaker 2: That's why I love with that question, because I mean getting DMX feature while he was still with us was tough.
Speaker 4: How'd you originally connect with them?
Speaker 3: I chased him down myself myself was to clear this thing.
Speaker 2: That's a brave thing to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you know.
Speaker 3: I really was like, yo, all right, he's performing it this joint because I always like never left that mentality of bro I got to make shit happen.
Speaker 1: Regardless of wherever I was at.
Speaker 3: I don't mind like rolling up my sleeves and just hitting people and staying on top of certain shit. Some people have like an ego about it, but I look at it like how I looked at it when I first started rapping. I went to a PG when I got out of prison. I went to PG Community College to just try to do like computer science or some shit, and I would be like rapping. I'd be in a cafeteria looking crazy by myself, just like writing and stuff like that. And I knew that I looked crazy, but I always knew that at the end of the day, those same people that thought I was crazy gonna see me where I'm going to be at, and then it's not going to be crazy no more make sense? Right, So I have to saying I wrote this one I was locked up. Fantasy without reality is insanity. So I've always been that way. So me like I was in a place where I didn't necessarily need to chase them down necessarily but I was with all that because whenever I I believe it makes sense to do something, then I'm cool to do all that stuff. If it don't make sense, I probably feel weird. But if I think it makes sense, and I'm like, yo, what I have of you on this thing is great. I just want your blessing. And they brought me backstage and he's like. I talked to him and he's like, it's good. Whatever you need, it's good.
Speaker 4: How do you pitch a DMX?
Speaker 3: And I just what I was doing, and it was, you know, I had to do with religion and my fight with God and and whether he's real or not and all these things, and I told him to pitch.
Speaker 1: He was like, it's good. Whatever you need, it's good, you know what I mean. So then it was good.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because I mean, your entire desography, you have some of the most impressive features you go through your whole you.
Speaker 1: Two though, you two, I just be buying your feature.
Speaker 5: Because you've never struck me as someone that's that tries to be in the mix so much. So that's where or even I guess a networker right right way, So how do you get these types of features?
Speaker 3: I mean they're all different, but the real real answer is audacity. I just asked, I asked, I hit Jay like trying to go on a DM and see a few responds. I'm just like that, and uh, I think I move with man, I don't. I don't mean to come like off like this, but this is actually true. It's like a divine energy that I move with that's really connected in a way where I think things happen.
Speaker 1: I'm working on something.
Speaker 3: I can't speak on it just yet, but when everyone hears that I'm doing this, I think.
Speaker 1: People gonna be there.
Speaker 3: Gonna be some people that's maybe mad, but most people are going to be like, wow, that's crazy that you're doing that. And it's because of the divine energy and the connection that I have. I really respect like people who especially when someone has passed away and I have a record that I want to do, I speak to you know, like, and I thank them for allowing me the opportunity to even do this when they're not here, and the past just starts to clear.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I'm just being real like, and so that's what it is.
Speaker 3: Anything I do, I always make sure that in my mind, this, this, this and this makes sense because of this, this and this, and if it don't add up, I don't hit niggas.
Speaker 1: Bro. Yeah, if I'm calling you, it makes sense.
Speaker 4: I love that you just add to d m J. Electronica.
Speaker 5: I had to fly to the mountains of Mexico, hike up the side of a mountains a pyramid to get my feature.
Speaker 2: I'm not I'm not.
Speaker 1: You're not joking.
Speaker 2: I'm not joking at all.
Speaker 1: I mean that's actually sicker than my situation. I'd rather be you.
Speaker 2: Once Mexico literally, yeah, man, Yeah it was jail leg is a He's an interesting guy. Yeah yeahful one of my favorite people ever. But you just have to be prepared for anything. Trust when moving around with him, ar fifteen.
Speaker 5: That to be putting malls faced by the federalities for me to get those.
Speaker 2: To Mexico to get them, and we were getting pulled wild times, great times. But Jay is he's just one of those people, man, the definition of free.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's the definition of somebody that is free, somebody that does what they want to do, lives how they want to live. It's admirable, but it is you know, when you have when you when you when you meet people like that, you realize like, oh yeah, like I'm not living like this person. He's living waking up and doing whatever he whatever the fuck he wants to do.
Speaker 5: Did you feel the same way with Doom, because I know you guys have worked before.
Speaker 3: It's a feature on the album, like yeah, yeah, Doom. That one's really special.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: When I say I moved with like divine energy and a certain connection. This is where I think it might it might make the most sense with Doom. He the future for me a while back, and Dell the funky Hombo safety and got on the song. So I had to cut his verse down a little bit. I didn't have to, but I felt like it was necessary for the song. So because he did a pretty long verse, and then I grabbed that and I held on to it, not thinking I'll ever use it for anything. Then when Red came up, I asked for his blessing to use a piece of it. I wasn't going to actually make it a feature. It was just oh, that's Doomed, you know what I mean. And then he passed away. And then when he passed away, I was still waiting for Jay to get me that verse and he dm me and.
Speaker 1: Is like, nah, I got to make sure this happens. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: He's like, I got you, and then he texted he DM me again and he was like touchdown, and then he sent me the train and that's how that happened. And then I still had more left though, and by the time I started making this product, I had to go deep within myself and go back to places that I didn't want to go back to, which was being incarcerated, behind bars, all of that shit. And then once I did that, I started writing the records and then I conductor sent.
Speaker 1: Me this beat.
Speaker 3: I took what he had, I chopped it and made the verse on that beat is me chopping his beat, and then the hook is the beat he basically sent me. So then I thought about him, like, yo, I'm wondering if those doom vocals will fit here, and it happened to be like the X things similar bpms, and then I was like, yo, he's talking about being locked up. The irony of him talking about being locked up, and that happens to be the piece that I left, and I'm talking about being locked up. The whole time, I was like, this gotta happen. So that's what I'm saying, like, I didn't plan that that happened. I put it together, I penned. I went to my experience of being behind bars at that time, you know, trying K two for the first time, all that shit, and I wanted to put you in my shoes for that moment, and that's what That's what came out. So and then obviously the same thing sent it to the powers that be, it got approved. It wasn't going to be a feature at first, but then something they messed up, something on accident on the vinyl, and my fans were zooming.
Speaker 1: In on the you know what I'm saying. When I put out the pre sale, and.
Speaker 3: It was like Doom, Doom, So I tried to hurry up and change it, and then I changed it, but then people just kind of was.
Speaker 2: Like, nah, do take it off?
Speaker 3: So I never when I announced it, I ain't never said anything about dooming, and people was mad. It was like, man, how disrespectful is it to not list doom as a feature on the project. But I wasn't trying to. I wanted it to be a surprise. And also because it wasn't a full verse, it was just on the hook. I didn't want to gas it, so people okay, so that's what happened. And then I just was like, well, I guess we just got to put it as a feature. Then yeah, you know, that's just what ended up happening with them.
Speaker 5: Speaking of spiritual connections and you being locked up? What did you see on the first inhale of K two?
Speaker 3: I saw some weird shit. Okay, this is walk me through the day. What is it my birthday? And you know this is when K two was new and ship, so nobody really understood how people knew people would trip off of it, don't get it twisted, yes, but most people didn't really know that all the way how bad.
Speaker 1: It could be.
Speaker 3: So you know, it was my birthday and my boy D was just like, yeah, man, I got this Da da da. And then you know, we smoked it, and you gotta, you know, you smoke it slow so that the high could last, because sometimes the high is really quick.
Speaker 1: Sometimes you don't know what how you're gonna get.
Speaker 3: Actually that's the thing that's not consistance, so you don't know what it's going through to you. And I smoked it and I just started like basically everybody in prison that I saw looked like themselves, but an animal version of them themselves, Like if you look like kind of like camel to me in that moment, you look like it was a you know what I'm saying. It was like but it was it was dark though. It was like scary, like it wasn't funny. It was like yo. And then you know, you know, like you you're looking around like, nigga, I'm locked up right now, nigga, like you're starting the reality starting to really kick in. I know when I'm getting out, I'm like, it's my birthday and ship, nigga, I'm looking at this like you know, we had they got me like these little doughnuts and all this ship my birthday and.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I don't want to eat none of this ship.
Speaker 3: This ship, Like I try to eat, it tastes nasty, Like you know, I just need some milk. I'm gonna lay on my bunk, nigga, and let this ship go away. And I remember hearing this beat in my head. I still remember the beat to this day. I kind of gotta make that. I got to make that shit and it was just just dark ass, weird ass beat. But if I make that beat there's nothing in music that sounds like this shit actually, and that literally was my experience doing it. I did it a couple of times, though it wasn't like the only time I did.
Speaker 2: It, so you went back for another case.
Speaker 3: I think I did it before that, and then that was my birthday time.
Speaker 1: So yeah, but that I think I tried it.
Speaker 3: I don't remember exactly how much I tried, but I'll tell you this, when I got out, I didn't.
Speaker 1: Smoke weed no more.
Speaker 3: I couldn't smoke weed no more after that shit. Like every time I tried it, I would get this weird paranoid high that I didn't like, so I just stopped smoking.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think I accidentally smoke K two once accidentally.
Speaker 5: It was like friend twenty ten and like the synthetic.
Speaker 1: Weed, that's when I did. I was around that time and.
Speaker 2: It was synthetic weed.
Speaker 5: But part of me feels like in twenty ten that was K two and we just didn't really know it was to that's K two, that's what is. There was a name I forgot the exact name. Spicy.
Speaker 4: Definitely smoke king too, but no, it definitely makes you trip.
Speaker 3: So the reason why we would do it is because it was just like, oh yeah, it was like, you can't it doesn't show up on your pist test, so that's why we're smoking. I think I even smoked it a little bit when I got out because it didn't show up on my pits test. But honestly, it was one of them things where I was like, I realized my weed.
Speaker 1: I was starting to like, like be not what I remember.
Speaker 5: I can immediately tell when drugs are not for me because I don't like them or because I may like it too much. Right, Like shrooms I don't do very often, but I've done them multiple times and is cool, I think, especially micro does and this and that. But like I tried coke, I was like, nah, I'm cool because I may end up liking that ship. So I left that alone. But that K two ship when that one time I smoked it in that living room, I never wanted to go near anything synthetic for the rest of my Yeah, no, fat it like nothing about it was cool. It wasn't fun, it wasn't a story we could talk like later. It was just like, nah, none of that shit is cool. Man, Like I mean, to each his own, but that ain't my style. I can't even dream.
Speaker 2: I never I never did shrooms. I had shroom tea before. Okay, yeah, I just was never like I never like outside of weed. I was never really like trying because I'm scared to have like a trip and never come back right right, That's like my biggest feel like I'm gonna turn into a whole different person and I'm not gonna be able to snap by like everything is different now. So let's talk about the beginning of aud K Originally from the UK. Yeah, born London, born London. How at what age did you come to America? Two years old? Oh so yeah, yeah I'm American. You're America more than anything. But are you still tapped in with the London sound like London rap?
Speaker 3: Yeah for sure. I got like Goldie on my project. I still like it's Emmy, you know what I'm saying, like for show. But but I'm mostly just a DMV, like you know what I mean. That's mainly what I am in DC, Maryland, Virginia. For those of you who don't.
Speaker 2: Know now the DMV because me and Rory been talking about it. What is it about the DMV that just keeps creating such unique, such talented artists like throughout the years in hip hop and R and B like this, This is something about the DMB. Is it just the culture of the DMV. Is it the close proximity and so many different people are able to connect with each other?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: What is it about the DMV that just keeps giving us like such talented artists.
Speaker 3: I think that we have some of the highest concentration of pure creativity. Now, creativity meets opportunity to expand creativity because you know, when you look at LA and you look at New York, is easier to expand your creativity to an audience because they have the industry there.
Speaker 1: We just got the raw creativity.
Speaker 3: So you know when when you look at something that's unique as go go and then you look at how people have adopted certain cultural things. This is like a big African community there.
Speaker 1: There's a big Hispanic.
Speaker 3: Community there, obviously Black community, uh, and all of these things. You know, when you kind of put that together and we're all close nearby each other, I think it creates what I like to call a color that doesn't exist, something new, something unique, And even in the way we dressing and all of that stuff, you know, we made new balances popular.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: When when my dad was living in Baltimore in PG County.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I even got honest, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: You from New York, Yeah, yeas be trying to claim the new balance.
Speaker 4: Jim Jones tried, which was kind of funded. That's Jim Jones. He's going to fight.
Speaker 5: He's our soldier, boy. He was the first. But no, I always because I was wearing new balances. And I'm not saying this as a stat but when they weren't popular up here and used to get kind of like new balances.
Speaker 4: I'm in Maryland, that's all they were.
Speaker 2: We wore new balances in the early nineties.
Speaker 1: Though in New York, we wore new balances in the eighties.
Speaker 2: And I'm sure I did, but I remember, I remember like the nineties, like new balances were a thing.
Speaker 3: And when I was born in eighties, but I remember seeing pictures of the eighties.
Speaker 2: I definitely listen. I'm not, but I do know that new balances was definitely something that New Yorkers wore, like early in the nineties and probably before that. But I'm just speaking for me and my friends. We definitely started wearing new balance in the early nineties.
Speaker 5: But up here, like when my dad moved to Maryland was like oh, two three fourths somewhere in that time, and nobody was wearing new balances up here. Like when I went down there, it was four and I was like, oh, new balances and they're comfortable as fuck.
Speaker 1: Definitely, but yeah.
Speaker 5: In the early two thousands at least my era was definitely not wearing balances whatsoever.
Speaker 4: That was definitely a dm.
Speaker 3: And listen, I'm definitely like I credit New York for popularizing a lot of styles from DC, you know what I'm saying, Like how people were dressing, or the drug dealers and all that stuff. People popularized a lot of stuff back back then in New York, and I think there's some sort of an admiration for people in New York and how y'all get down and the swag and all that stuff, for sure, But the.
Speaker 1: Idea knew was coming.
Speaker 2: Once they give you once, they give you credit and they give you props to this, but.
Speaker 3: You but it's just really one of them things where like, you know, I think that d C specifically in the DMV, we do a lot of things and maybe don't get the credit so a lot of people are vocal about it. That's really more so. What it boils down to.
Speaker 5: Mal boost Mobile is proving that you don't have to overpay for great wireless. I don't know why you do that to yourself. I do do that as a friend. I'm sitting here. There's an intervention. You don't need to do that anymore.
Speaker 2: Help me.
Speaker 5: You can unlock savings with boost Mobile right now twenty five dollars a month for the Unlimited Plan. It's a permanent price with no contracts, no price hikes. You keep your phone and your number, but you save up to six hundred dollars a year compared to any other major carrier.
Speaker 2: Stop overpaying and switch to a fair price at boostmobile dot com today based on average annual single line payment of AT and T Verizon and T Mobile customers compared to twelve months on the boost Mobile Unlimited Plan as of January twenty twenty six. For full off of details, visit boostmobile dot com.
Speaker 5: What do you think the DMV music lineage is like? For example, you could start with Disco in New York, which then went to cool Herk and then went to Curtis Blowercarris wanting and so on and so forth. You kind of couldn't tell the entire the entire story of New York hip hop. Where where does DMV start?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 3: So I'm going to speak with a lack of all of the information and education and answered the best I can with what I what I understand. I think the seventies, maybe the late seventies is when Go Go kind of came. But people were rapping over Go Go. Let's not let's not like get that twisted. People were rapping over Go Go.
Speaker 1: And I think, you know, people like Chuck Brown, things like that, they were coming in.
Speaker 3: Then you get to the early eighties. I'm pretty sure. Don't quote me on this, but look it up. We came, uh punk rock came from DC. Okay, I'm pretty pretty sure. I'm like like ninety percent sure. So we obviously have that.
Speaker 1: And then.
Speaker 3: And then I think in the eighties, Go Go started to expand a lot more. I think that the nineties came and then we had is it nonchalant five o'clock in the morning when you be around that time? Right, And by the way, I'm gonna probably miss people, So I don't want to, you know what, I'm saying no disrespect to anybody that I missed. But I think around that time that started to happen when we had like Junk Yard Band and all these people that started getting like real recognition being signed to I think Death Jam Records, things like that, and then we're the eerror. Where I really started paying attention to certain things was when Tabby Bonnet and Wile was coming out, because was the first nigga from back home from what I remember to be on MTV. Yeah, shout out to Tuma because Tuma was working at MTV around that time, and.
Speaker 1: I remember seeing that, like, yo, this could really happen.
Speaker 3: I started seeing Phil I Day around that time as well, so like but you know a little later actually, but.
Speaker 1: Was the first time I really seen.
Speaker 3: Like somebody like doing something you know what I'm saying, And that kind of rubbed off on me, like it's possible because not only is he from where I'm from, he's also African. You know, he's talking about the struggle being African, being made fun of all that shit. So it's connecting with me in a real way. So by the time I got locked up and got out, I remember saying to myself, you know, I'm not going to take raps seriously because my biggest thing is I want to rap, but I don't ever want to perform. Like the idea of performing was so crazy and scary to me.
Speaker 2: I want to rap, but you don't want to perform.
Speaker 1: No, I just want to put out songs.
Speaker 3: And I was like, I want to have like a local buzz like l A when he first came out, but I don't want to be like a big superstar and nothing like that. And that was my mentality going into it. My Plan A was a finished school, you know, and try to do something with that. I still got my book from jail when I wrote my plan my Plan B, and both of them were not rap at the end. They had rap in it, but that wasn't the end all be all, and so but like.
Speaker 1: I'm back to the lineage part.
Speaker 3: You know, you go while A and you start seeing like Fat trailing them and the Shotglizzy.
Speaker 1: I was I was locked up when shot Lizzy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I remember that being locked up and they were like, yo, shot Lizzy, shot Lizzy. He beefing with Fat trail d niggas telling me you know what I mean, And then then there was just mad other eras like when you go from that era to the next, I say, I guess the next era was me starting to be like gold Link and Chazz French people like that was coming out. Shaboozi was around two. Like Shaboozi was always running out. Me and him got songs from when he was like fucking seventeen or something like you know what I mean, and Chabuzzi coming up around his time. All of us is like doing our thing. But that gold Link wave was serious. When that came out, that was like, oh shit, like you know what I mean, I can't forget.
Speaker 1: There was even before that.
Speaker 3: There was like Booby One Way Boobie and all these you know, all the street rappers. It was coming out to Big Wax, everybody, Circle Boys all that.
Speaker 1: Then we go to.
Speaker 3: After that era, you know, we all kind of was doing our thing, was growing. I want to say Logic was around that time as well a little bit before that. And then the next era was like when Big Flock and Rico Nasty and Shabaz Cutiful all them started coming out.
Speaker 1: But that was the whole thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Then we got young Manny and all them guys uh zam Man, which is basically they originated the flow that everybody's really using now, and then there's probably another era right after that, which is kind of more so now where you get Nino paid and you get who else is out there, you get El Cousto, you're getting. I mean, I would say that's even a little after maybe or close to that, where you know, right now, I think after that era Earl Sweatshirt clip winning when viral Niggas is like, oh shit, like that's our flow. That's like the DMV flow to the t you know what I'm saying. But right now, I mean like you got people like even Machago coming out, They came out a little bit before around my era, like like we just got so much shit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you running down this list, it's so much talent.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, we were.
Speaker 5: I think it was last episode we were talking about Foggy's album, Like Foggy too. The DMV has a sound, but it doesn't if that, I guess because there is just so many different types of artists where there isn't a definitive sound, but there is, Like I think Foggy and I mean it's respectfully like I can hear some of gold Link in his music to me, which is very much a d m V type of tone.
Speaker 3: Maybe maybe you know, that was the one thing I was saying. I don't see it all the way, but I can see maybe from the outside, and then how it could be I see the nuance a little more. Yeah, So I'm like foggy sound like foggy to me, But when I hear what he's doing, it is it is a lot of sub pockets of music, right, But it's kind of the same way there's like a lot of subcultures in general in the DMV, right, But ultimately what you may get that's consistent is a certain type of slang, a certain type of respect and flow that's derivative derivative of go go music. And then after that it just becomes what type of style you want to do over what type of beats? You know what I'm saying, But I'm probably missing like ninety percent of all of the shit that's really has been going on in these errors. That's that's the thing. But we don't have the industry like that. So when you hear certain things, they kind of like become like this thing where it's like it's dope cool people taken from it for sure, but it doesn't have the chance to incubate and becoming this big thing. Every now and then you get certain things but not so much right and then bruh, Like a lot of the artists, they be like they don't have the foundation around them so structure wise, like management, certain things like that. So it's that's why I say we are a hub of pure artistic talent, whether it comes to style, whether it comes to music, all of that shit. Like we got that in the purest form. We got the blue magic, you know what I'm saying, But we don't We're not always able to distribute it throughout New York City.
Speaker 1: Got it like a better Ford.
Speaker 2: I guess you know what I see, uh.
Speaker 5: With the Not Atlanta record, with what La Russell's been doing with the Bay I see everyone arguing what's the city and what's not the city?
Speaker 4: Is the clips DMV or not?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: I say yes, I say because I've heard Parrell say it out of his I mean, so I'll go with real right right. I think people try to write off certain places because it's a little too far. I think there's two ways to look at it. There is It's like if I'm out of town. I'd rather just I'm so I'm closer to DC than I am to Baltimore. Yeah, so when people say where you're from, I just say DC. It's not But if you're from DC and you say you're from DC but you're not from DCA, that don't fly. So you got to know the context in what you speaking on. If I say the DMV and it pertains to the CLIPS, it's the most general broad aspect of the DMV we can have. Now, the real DMV, like the honest to god real version of the DMV, is the metropolitan area right all around. Basically, if you're if the train don't go to where you're from, it's not really the DMV. Kind of that's the way some people look at it. But because DC, Maryland and Virginia are the d m V, the specifying that you kind of got to be from there to really understand why you gotta specify. So so because of that, CLIPS is d m V. Okay, if they say it, then that's it.
Speaker 1: That's it. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: I ain't that ain't at all.
Speaker 5: Remember the Titans squad is right, because that's a New York.
Speaker 2: We still claim the CLIPS you're the only New York Times.
Speaker 1: I didn't even know that. I've never heard that in my life.
Speaker 5: Face before, and he said, no, I'm not. I mean speaking of of the clips and push your tea. You and I we're talking the day that record came out. Yeah, why do you think people thought you were dissing Drake on that record?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: That was a very odd perspective, because you and me.
Speaker 3: It was like it was like I said Ice this and Ice that, and I wasn't thinking about no Drake when I made you know what I'm saying, like Ice, and you know it was it was dark to see that people dig that deep and listen, man, keep digging like sometimes I do be saying some clever Yeah, it's right, But I think it was that, And I think just by nature of the timing. That's why I say divine timing is interesting. I didn't plan for that to happen at that time. And I think they said something about Drake, posted something about Ice, and then we dropped a song.
Speaker 1: I was not. That shit had nothing to do with what I was, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: So hey, look, people probably said it because they just thought that that's what it was, and hey, I looked at it.
Speaker 2: They try to dig and find little anything that may look like a shot or beef or disrespect. That's just what rap is. Everything is, like Mike was under the microscope, like what he meant by that, like you said, by that, and then like you said, if somebody drops a song and then you drop something, or somebody posted something and you drop something, it looks like the timing of it all it is like, Nah, that ain't no coincidence, like he talking to him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't even think Push was talking.
Speaker 2: Just say I could.
Speaker 5: You can maybe make a case, but I still don't even think Push was talking about Rake on that verse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's kind of one of them.
Speaker 3: I'm not about to act that man, but unless you know what I'm saying, like like that, it's just like our conversations don't. Really that's not what it was, like you know what I'm saying. I think he would say what it is if it's necessary to be said. I think he was just expressing himself on with that pen like we all do as artists and whatever people want to say, let him talk, Yeah, because.
Speaker 5: I even saw it got weird in those threads I saw people saying you you had who kids host it because because the family matters, Like if y'all really think.
Speaker 4: About that's too much.
Speaker 3: Like I'm not the kind of guy that's obsesses over trying to make a point or insert myself into a conversation that I have no business in. I don't think that ever goes well. I am a guy that if somebody uh said certain things about me, I don't like bullying, and I don't like and mostly mostly trying to bully me. Yeah, it's because that's the mentality I developed from being locked up. It's like, you let somebody play with you in them buying them walls, that's going to be your time the rest of the time there. You might as well just crash out, and I have to deal with that. Crash out, bro, you gotta if that's what you gotta do, that's what you gotta do, because at the end of the day, this ship is about survival and you buying them walls. You gotta figure out how to make your time the most comfortable possible. I'm not about to have nobody make my time uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 3: I gotta eat, I gotta do what I do. I don't bother. Nobody leave me alone there. I'm over here, and I don't like that. Sometimes people think, because I'm a nice guy like to people most for the most part, they think that they could maybe play with me. That's rare, by the way, but that's what I don't like. But to me to just go out of my way and be like, oh man, let me try to even like stretch it, because some niggas to hear some ship and then they'll be like, oh, this is my opportunity. He said this one little line and I'm gonna try to make it. Then nah, man, that shit don't again. I move with divine energy. If that ain't what it is, that's not what it needs to be. I actually fuck with Drake, you know what I'm saying. Fuck with some of the shit he does. A lot of shit he does, Drake. I listen to Take Care when I was locked up. That was you know, that was a record that shaped how I even listen to music. I don't think people give him the props he deserves for the music he's put out, even though commercially he's successful. I think from a respect standpoint, people write it off. I was arguing with Torre about this shit like on the joint because he know he has his feelings about it. And I'm like, look, I don't know about the ghost writing shit. I don't really, I'm not in the room to know who did. But what I heard when I hear on them speakers. My argument with him was, are you saying what he's saying what's coming out as bad?
Speaker 1: Or is it because he may have a ghostwriter?
Speaker 3: And once it was like what he's hearing is bad, I'm like, I don't agree with that.
Speaker 1: That Nigga's clever. I said this to his face.
Speaker 3: I told him, I was like, you know how to say simple clever shit in a simple way.
Speaker 1: That's hard, extremely that's very hard to artistic.
Speaker 3: Some man shout out, shout out to him and what he does, no, you know, and that's not no disrespect to push, that's not no disrespect to other people that I fuck with. I'm just a fan of what this is and that that guy has never done nothing to me that I you know what I'm saying. They try to say, maybe he had an idea that was inspired by something I did with the k Tranada joint and never, honestly, never mind whatever that was, Like an internet thing, I ain't. I actually show him after that, and the energy was just cool.
Speaker 1: I left it at that. So when people try to put.
Speaker 2: All that together, they make shit with people to fend sometime makes shit with.
Speaker 3: And then then then the other thing is like some people be I'm not saying he is, I don't know him, but some people be sensitive and take that shit seriously. Yeah I'm not one of them, guys, Like I really got, like I said, bro, being behind certain walls and being behind them walls. Bro, you look at life differently, like you look at time differently, you look at being patient differently, you look at who could be an enemy and who's not.
Speaker 1: Very different yea.
Speaker 3: So for me, like I don't move, I move with the principles that I learned from that.
Speaker 5: And yeah, yeah, I think a lot of artists obviously are sensitive, but they kind of let the fans in the internet dictate how they should move because a lot of times it's not even that. And then the artists will be scrolling for two days and be like, now you know what, maybe it is maybe he was talking about it, like no, they made this up, bro, But you should understand that the fans are the ones that are making you think that someone is saying some shit about you.
Speaker 3: Well, gang, that's why I got a fucking phone. Nigga hit my line, you know me A and Ja Electronica. Yeah, if you feel a way about me, bro, that's why I don't like this is just man time. If you feel away about me, if I feel away about you, oh man, ask anybody that I will call you. Yeah, I'm gonna hit your phone, bro. And some niggas be scared. They don't want to answer the phone. And they any nigga who don't want to answer the phone and have a conversation but want to talk on in I already write you off.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's perform it.
Speaker 5: But that's that's ego ship too, because one of those people small attest to I do in a dumb.
Speaker 4: Way a lot of times as well.
Speaker 5: I will always approach somebody if there's something that has to be said that man. I never understand like we could just have a five minute conversation. Yeah that doesn't mean we have to. We could just both coexist if it is like that and just move forward. It's not I never understand why people can't just have a conversation.
Speaker 1: Niggas be avoiding. Bro.
Speaker 3: Listen, Bro, I keep going back to this, but I'm telling you, I had to realize I'm the way I am because at pivotal ages from seven teen nineteen, I'm to twenty. I'm behind bars. So I'm looking at my mind. My brain is developing and I'm learning these things. I can't do that back. You know, you can't do that in that situation. You like, you can't hide from niggas. You gotta confront shit. I've been in situations where I'm hearing shit about a nigga. He feeling a way nigga pacing back and forth. I don't know if he has a knife on him, I don't know what he's literally well, walk up to his nigga, like, yo, let me holler at you. Let's let's sit down and talk about whatever the fuck this misunderstanding may be.
Speaker 1: Because I got to go home at the end of the day.
Speaker 3: Bro, I can't deal with like all this and this nigga on some probably crash out shit, he mind, he don't know when he going home.
Speaker 1: I don't have time for that, Bro.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about it, and if it from there it still escalates, then I mean I did everything in my power to de escalate it and whatever happens after that is what happens. Yeah, that's my mentality. So when it comes to these niggas, this is a piece of cake. It's just like, just get on the phone, scary ass nigga would be scared.
Speaker 1: Bro, it's a phone call.
Speaker 2: A phone call?
Speaker 1: Are you scared?
Speaker 3: It's a message when we grown men got kids and ship then I don't have no kids. I understanding niggas got kids or gonna have kids. Nigga, what are you doing? H let's just talk say, well, imagine your kid. Think that's my daddy, my daddy.
Speaker 2: That's how my dad, my daddy supposed to be a superhero. Scared for nigga learning kindergarten? Talk it out.
Speaker 1: But that's my look at it.
Speaker 5: What was that feeling like when you thought you had to do fifteen and it ended up, you know, just having to.
Speaker 3: Serve serve to three. So I didn't make that clear. I never thought I had to do fifteen. I had fifteen, I got fifteen. Yeah, but it got suspended to three as you were a minor or.
Speaker 1: I think that helped played a part.
Speaker 3: I think they would have fried me and if I was if I was eighteen, they considered it, but they charged me as an adult, so it's like it's a consideration, but it's not. It doesn't legally make them not do or not do something. I think. I didn't have no record prior to that. I was seventeen when it happened. They didn't find said gun. There was a lot of little shit that was like in my favor. So then the judge is like, all right, man, let excuse you three boom. You could do it on private home detention, which is a trick bag because it's like it sounds sweet and it's better than going to prison. Let me make sure that's clear. But private home detention you got paid for. It's not state, so it's a little more strict. It's a little different. And then to be eighteen living your life as a eighteen year old at that time, it's kind of hard to have that level of responsibility for that long of a time. So I went in back in for violations and shit like that, you know what I'm saying, and ended up having to do the rest of my bid what they call up the road in state prison, where they basically it's sweeter, it's fun more fun and more livable than jail. But that's where the real hyenas be at. That's where the real extortion happens. That's where the Aryan Brotherhood and all that type of shit is over there. And you have to know how to navigate gang culture. That's why this music industry is a piece of cake to me. These niggas ain't you know what I'm saying, Like I really had to be in that situation and navigate that as a nineteen twenty year old my niggas, like I had to be. I was a tutor, so I help people get their ged. So every off bucks, everybody fuck with me, yeah, like off that. And I used to cut niggas here. I used to have a blade and a comb. Imagine they catch me with it, you know what I'm saying, Like I'm in the back cutting niggas here for two dollars soups like nigga two packs of noodles, hitting niggas with the shape up like all that. You know what I'm saying, Like, that's what that was where I was at with it. I hustled, I did what I had to do, got to fuck out that joint man like. So that's why I say this shit. I could see niggas when they really that, when they're really not that, like when they are scared, you learn how to sense fear, Like you could see a nigga heart being like you know what I'm saying, You could feel it. And and one thing I definitely never do is take.
Speaker 1: Advantage of people's fear. I just try to.
Speaker 3: Make niggas, you know, call niggas down, like, Yo, I'm not a bad person.
Speaker 1: We good, We can get through certain shit.
Speaker 3: It's just when niggas trying to act like they you know, act like I'm scared because I'm being nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just that something that happens parton of the Vlad question.
Speaker 5: But just since you you know, you mentioned it on the mixtape, what was the Christmas Eve body that they try to put on you? O?
Speaker 2: God, you did not commit that.
Speaker 1: Has a whole other thing.
Speaker 2: That's you wrapped about it.
Speaker 1: The only reason why?
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, no fair And and you know that's come up quite a few times that particular conversation of what I was saying. I want to make sure it's very clear a lot of that was based off of imagination and exaggerating whatever the scenario is to explain the effects of karma, right, like going through all this shit, getting away with everything thinking I'm and then come back and now I got charged with shit I didn't even do. I did have a situation where some charges came up. We don't even talk about the charges, but they came up. Bro, I was in my cell and they're like, yo, you're getting moved to Virginia. Like Virginia. They put me in a bullpen. I'm like, in a bullpen? Like, what did I do in Virginia. I don't even be in Virginia like that. It's the DMV.
Speaker 1: And so they said I had my niggas.
Speaker 3: So they said I had some charges, and I thought about, what the fuck? And I remember the only time in my life I ever got robbed. I was fucking wrong with these niggas and them niggas was.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you. That was the day I realized I didn't have.
Speaker 3: A certain level of fear, meaning I want to get a little bit into the story, like I'm chilling.
Speaker 1: You know. In the DMV, niggas wear ski masks. That's like a thing.
Speaker 3: So I see a nigga the ski mask and I'm with somebody who's supposed to beat him, right, And I remember seeing a nigga, but I ain't really think much of it. And I remember nigga came up to the car. Next thing, you know, bro, I got a gun to my neck and they're like, what a coke at with a coke at? And I'm like, I don't got nothing to do with none of that, bro, But I know the nigga that I'm around. They certain shit.
Speaker 4: You said, I'm a K two guy.
Speaker 3: They into shit, They into certain shit. I had have got out with my first bid. This was me trying to figure out my life. I sold a like in pala ss, so I had like six bands on me. I remember feeling that money in the moment. The first thing I thought is whatever this nigga needs, I'm gonna just give him to him.
Speaker 1: It's not worth my life.
Speaker 3: So he's got the gun with a coke at that it does so and then he proceeds to try to rob me.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: I do this thing where I get on the ground and this is a car right here, and I start feeling in my pockets and my nigga when I said I think the six bands was right here. I have a couple of dollars right here, and I have my wallet right here. I was about to give him everything, and then I realized, Man, I felt them six that six bands. I'm like, I'm not giving this nigga this money, bro. So what I did was fast, right, So I'm like this, I'm moving my body underneath the car a little bit right here, and I'm like giving them money out of here.
Speaker 1: Boom, and I'm.
Speaker 3: Throwing the other pocket, changing some more shit, and I'm like the wallet two, like the wallet two nigga all except meanwhile, I'm pulling this money out of here and I'm doing this and I pull it, put it into the car and I shi me out and I'm like, I ain't got nothing else. And he goes over to the other nigga and this nigga crying and some more ship like this nigga I got kid like it, but the ugly cry like and I remember in that moment, like looking at this nigga supposed to be not that. Listen, man, you can cry if you're getting right, you might lose your life. I'm not gonna but I just ain't expect we're gonna live.
Speaker 2: So you could do it in the moment.
Speaker 3: You could cry, but nah, So that that shit happened and ship and dumb and uh. And that's why I realized I didn't have a certain level of fear. I was like, I got I still had that money, nigga, I still got there. That's what you focused on that which bands on the car so boom. So that's the segway to that story. But back to what the original thing. So myne social security was in that wallet. So when that ship came up, I'm like, man, what if they got me for my social and diss and wild ship? And oh okay, now I'm getting hit for that. And it was a serious ass charge. It was a very serious.
Speaker 1: Charge, luckily more serious than the ship.
Speaker 3: I was in there for it. Luckily they never moved me. They were like, it's there's a mishap, blah blah blah.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: I was like, shore relieved.
Speaker 3: Bro, I'm like, I'm never getting out like at this point because even if you because if you get a body, you still got to being in court for like a year fighting that year.
Speaker 1: Yeah hell yeah. And I'm like that's what this sucks about.
Speaker 3: It even if you ain't do the shit, if they got enough evidence or believe they have enough evidence I being there four minutes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, no, absolutely no yet.
Speaker 5: Today's show is brought to you by a presenting sponsor, hard Rock Bet, which is Florida's sports book.
Speaker 2: March is here.
Speaker 5: Mall, so you know the madness is going to take over Angry college basketball, so mad center stage every day we have games.
Speaker 2: I cannot wait.
Speaker 5: The temperature is rising, the shots are falling, and now it's time to get the hardwood with hard Rock Bet. Sign up today and double your winnings on your first ten bets max fifty dollars. That's right, your winnings are doubled on your first ten bets. So if you would have won a hundred bucks on your bet, make it two hundred more. That's how you start March. So don't sit on the bench.
Speaker 2: Download the hard Rock Bet app today, Unlet's get the party started. Danson boots on the mall. Hey bon bonus bets not a cash offer off of a boy a siminal tribe of Florida and Florida, offered by Seminal hard Rock Digital l seeing all of the states. Must be twenty one plus and physically present in Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, New Jersey, Ohio, Tennessee, or Virginia to play terms and conditions applied. Concerned about gambling in Florida, you call one A three three play wise. In Indiana, if you was someone you know has a gambler problem, wants helped, call one eight hundred and nine with it. Gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler Arizona, Colorado, Illinois, Michigan, New Jersey, Ohio, Tennessee, and Virginia. Let's talk about sub suburban trap. Yeah, because I liked that. I liked that that that that term. How did you come up with creating that name or that sound?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Trap.
Speaker 3: So it's interesting when I first got out the well, when I got out the last time from actual prison, there was this thing in my mind where I just wanted to just be like a normal guy, normal scenario, like like I did whatever was in my past. I wanted that so far away from me. I was like, I'm gonna come out rapping, but I don't want to talk about nothing about being locked up, none of that shit, And I just want to separate myself from anything that could be considered street. So I grew up in the suburbs the way PG County is set up Maryland. If you don't go to a private school, you still go to school in the hood with the hood. That's mostly the scenario. Or if you go to a school like in like let's say Booh for instance, it's a lot of niggas who come from certain areas that end up going to that school. So it's like, weirdly still bad. You know, I'm saying, like, shit just still go down. So I was like, I wanted to create this thing that made it very clear that I come from this and at this time, I'm not trying to talk about anything that I did, going to jail all that shit. I was just talking about, Look, man, I'm just this nigga that's hustling, songing, we trying to make music work. And that was what the suburban trap thing came from. And I created these little characters, like all these different people that represented people that I did meet along the way, being behind bars, things like that. But I wanted to make sure that my story was very clearly not that, And so I talked about college a lot, trying to go to college. I barely went, but like that's what I put like, you know, more in the music. And that's that's how subject that actually changed my life. That project when it came out.
Speaker 5: You mentioned your plan A and plan B written down. What did you want to do INSTEADY plan performing.
Speaker 3: But Plan B was like a registered nurse and plan A.
Speaker 2: You can't just say registered no, no, they do. But I wasn't expecting like not registered nurse.
Speaker 3: That's what I wanted to do because my mom was saying ship like that and you can make a lot of money.
Speaker 1: And the other thing was she was talking about it.
Speaker 3: So I was planning a trunk to get in I t When I went back to school at PG Community, I was trying to do computer science and learned that aspect and and that was my planning and my plan B RAP was in the plan in the diagram I drew.
Speaker 1: But it wasn't the end all be all. I was just trying to I was just trying.
Speaker 3: To get a good job, man, knowing that I got felting, and I was just trying to like figure it out, you know what I mean, That's really all it was.
Speaker 2: Now I was texting Rory about this this this project, and and listening to it, uh the last two days like just on repeat. I haven't. I don't think I've enjoyed a rap project like this in a very long time like this, this had. This reminds me of how I felt when when Mock dropped Pray for Haiti. M hm, obviously you got conducted on this, so that DNA is is there. I'm a I was. I came up in the in the in the in the nineties. I'm an eighties baby god. So this is this reminds me of I felt the Far Side. I felt Tribe got you, I felt you know that whole era of nineties rap hip hop was that like making this album? Was that the intent was that the feeling, the vibe, the energy that you was aiming for or was this something that just happened, Because this is definitely like real rap hip hop every level, the music, the bars. You set a line in there, like I love when rappers say a line that I never heard. You say, cutting corners like a picnic sandwich. I've never heard I've never heard rap like that. So when I heard that, I was like, hold on. Not only is the music incredible, but whenever a rapper says things that I never heard any other rappers say, I'm impressed you know, it's hard to create new things and new sounds and things like that. So just the music and the rapping and the bars, and then the intention and then just everything all together. I was really impressed with this, and I told Ry, I was like, I can't believe that this album has not been in my rotation. It's a mixtape. Yeah, it's a mixtape. Like and again, you know, mixtape is just a name, right, But there is something that is a difference in as far as in creation with artists that it's a different type of freedom when you're creating an album versus the mixtape. But this, this, this, this is like some of the best rapping, one of the best projects that I think we've had in a very long man. So I had to I had to come in here and salute you for that. But like, what was the intention of did you feel like I want to I want to go for this energy, this vibe, golden era of rap hip hop or you just being I DK.
Speaker 1: I think I was being I d K.
Speaker 3: More than anything, I let production dictate what I do, and I think I was this I d K the artist and this IDKA the producer. And I think that when I put the records together. Then that started coming out. I was thinking, especially the first half of the record the project, I was thinking more like like fifty cent fifty cent and g unit. Reason being, I'm by myself for the most part. I got my peoples and that's it.
Speaker 1: I'm not.
Speaker 3: I don't belong to no subculture, no community or rap. I'm cool with everybody, but I'm like a loaner. Sometimes people even think I think I'm better than them. I could tell the energy. I've heard people say that and they ain't even like that. It's just it's like went back to just being being locked up when I would At first people didn't know how to read me, and I actually actually liked that. I like when people can't read me. I remember Og came up to me. I had to be here all that shit, and he's like, man, I still can't put my finger on you. Man, I can't read you. And the reason why he said that is because I will be quiet and then next thing you know, I'm cooking somebody or making fun of somebody how they dress or whatever the like.
Speaker 1: Whatever it is.
Speaker 3: So they he was like he came up to me because after that he was like, I thought she was the quiet nigga. Now you get brows the niggas and shit. He was like, I can't put my figure on you. And I always move with that because I always like to look at the room, see what everybody on.
Speaker 1: See who's who.
Speaker 3: That's the loud nigga right there, that's the quiet dude over there, This nigga I'm not really sure about.
Speaker 1: Let me see.
Speaker 3: And I think in the rap industry, I inherently just do that. So if someone's really quiet, I'm more loud. If someone's really loud, I'm really quiet. I'm just paying attention. You know what I'm saying. This is like interesting. So I think because of that, I felt like I was a loner. And then it's just like bro, it's just certain niggas be trying to style on niggas like say that, and I'm like, bro, listen, man, I asked you for this whatever record or whatever whatever we're doing. Don't try to act like you better than me or cooler than me. Like I understand you where you at.
Speaker 2: That's industry, though, Yeah, that's just industry.
Speaker 1: It's like, but I think about this shit. All this shit is like high school.
Speaker 3: I know the type of nigga I was in high school, but I was a certain type of nigga. I got niggas from high school with me.
Speaker 1: Right, ain't now.
Speaker 3: I wasn't the type of nigga like you do that kind of ship too. I wasn't the type of nigga that wasn't cool. They didn't get no hold none of that ship. Like I was a certain type of nigga in high school. And I look at certain niggas, I know what type of niggas they was in high school, but they got a little bit of you know what I'm saying, and they move like that's who they are. I could tell, and I'm like, I get offended by that. Nah bro' this you that were cool, but you don't got a style on me. I'm good at what I do and for my resources and never being a part of a big community that catapulted me. I figured it out. So listen the features on this, but let's just run.
Speaker 5: Through it real quick before you while you're looking them up. I had said to mol earlier today, I think you outshine the features, which are kind of a very difficult thing to do with the type of features.
Speaker 1: That you are.
Speaker 2: I appreciate I mean, black Thought did go, Yeah, I thought.
Speaker 5: But to still have the presence that you have next to a Push or next to a Black Thought takes a different level of talent because usually when people suspect these types of features, you end up kind of like that's the highlight of the project, which I feel like you're the star on every song even with the features, which to me is very difficult to do.
Speaker 1: Nah, I appreciate that.
Speaker 5: That's where a lot of I think rappers fuck up, especially if they signed to a major and now get the opportunity to have all these crazy features, like well, now your album is feature presentation, Like now this album is dictated based off other people.
Speaker 4: No one's really gonna connect with you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And you know what, to that point, it is interesting, you know, I look at like odd Future.
Speaker 1: For instance, I remember when I first heard about the.
Speaker 3: Future from a Double Xcel magazine in the South, and I'm like, these niggas look as weird as shit. Tyler are created, these niggas on some demonic shit, Like I don't really like you know what I'm saying, Like when you like, when you're around like certain people, that shit is weird to you. I didn't grow up really on that. So when I seen it, I thought it was weird. But then when I started seeing them like afterwards, and obviously Tyler's has done stuff on albums and shit like that. For me, like I started to get it more when I got out more, you know what I'm saying. I went to school, there's like two white people. The whole school was like all black, you know what I'm saying. Like I only knew one thing. So the interesting part of that is I see that they had a movement and they did their thing. I realized I thought I needed a co sign up until like twenty seventeen, I'm like, damn, you know j I d is with JJ, Cole and them, and they stamping them. And then you see Kendrick came in with Dre when he really came in. He came in with Dre, and then Cole came in with Hole. I lay a little bit of ho Kanye with Hole. Then Big Sean came from Kanye, and I was like, man, Nikki Wayne.
Speaker 1: All that shit Dwayne.
Speaker 3: So I'm like, man, there's always been people passionate torture, and I'm like, man, I had gotten a deal from Good Music at some point but I didn't want to do it because I'm like, is Kanye going to be back at me? And it didn't sound like he was gonna be too deep into the you know what I mean? So I'm just like And then it got to a point where I had to just go back to the mentality I always had. It's like, I can't make that happen. I have to do what I can on my own. That's when I went to Adult Swim with an idea. I was like, Yo, I got this project, but I want all the songs to sound like they could be on Adult Swim. The only reason why that worked out is because when I dropped a project called empty Bank.
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 3: When I say Crickets, it was a second. It was right after Subtrat. I dropped Empty Bank, and I'm like, Yo, that's going to change my life, and it was Crickets.
Speaker 1: Nobody was really fucking with it like that.
Speaker 3: Nobody I experienced, Oh, this thing doesn't just keep going up because you consistently put out music or even better music. That's not how that works. It's about attention. And I was crushed by that. And one thing happened that was probably the most important thing. One of the most immotant things in my career. The guy who created, directed and created Tunami and Cartoon and Adults Swim. He tweeted about the album how much he loved it. So we had a relationship and that's why when I had the idea, I was like, hey man, I got this idea, and then he was like, I'm gonna get behind you. That's when I started realizing that's the coast signs I gotta I can't. I can't be waiting on no other rapper to come fuck with me this and then give me a bad deal on top of that and it may not work.
Speaker 1: I was like, all right, fuck it, I'm gonna fuck with Adult Swim.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna fuck with this brand that makes sense for what I And then they helped market my ship to an audience, and Adult Swim is the kind of what kicked off me having like a cult following, Like they were the ones that really like did that for me.
Speaker 5: So yeah, yeah, that far, No, those those I completely agree. Those coat signs are more important for your solo because even like I mean, of course Sean did just fine, but he just signed the good music. When Yea's coming off, Ada waits and heartbreaks going into My Beautiful arguably his peak, You're not going to be the biggest part. You'll get a look like he's on the bonus track on uh might be darks with a Fantasy, which I'm sure helped, but his real co signs because I was in the building at Deaf Jam at that time. That was him networking with the building. That wasn't a Kanye thing like he really put in. He had to go put the working Kanye rightfully, so it is focused on his career world. I can't sit here and put together the entire like Yay took a break for a second to do the push Tiana nas like. That's when he's like, I'm stopping what I'm doing, right and I can focus on producing other other people ship. But at that time, now you signed good music though those guys at the height of his career, right right, yeah, I mean, how many Kanye beats are even on Finally Famous.
Speaker 1: Right right? Right?
Speaker 5: No, that's one right, First of all, Marvin Gay and I was in the office Sean had I think it was the bait store. Sean had shut down the entire street and soho, and that's when Kanye and it's not a slight to Kanye. I'm just telling the truth or whatever. Kanye in the building took notice, like wait, wait, Big Sean booked the bag store by himself, shut the whole blockdown. Cops had to come, like there was too many kids out there. That was the day that Ya was like, I'll get on Marvin game shortener.
Speaker 2: This kid got something hit somebody. It's a certain respect that you got to demand for yourself.
Speaker 5: And yeah, and again it's not a slight to Yeah, he's got his own ship going on. That's why it's just tough for artists, which Maul always makes a great point with Wayne. Wayne at the peak of his career stepping aside, putting his ego to the side to help Nicky and Drake and Tiger and everyone was that's the rarest thing that does not have ever like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, you got that's self confidence though, Yeah, that's I was getting pussy since high school confidence right right, Like he had start he was, yeah, nah, real ship though, like that ship rubs off on you in a certain way when you move a certain way, Like I could do shit like that where my eyes closed if I ever had an artist like you know what I'm saying, and the other thing is you just explained something that's really important that a lot of people don't understand how to maximize opportunity. Niggas be playing games out here like nigga, I don't play with this shit like I do this shit. I love this shit, man, I'm about this life I made. I made myself focus on this thing to get where I needed to get to, like Bro like same, that same album that kind of flopped for me, my nigga. The one thing another thing that happened Dave Free. Dave Free was like, that shit is fire. I'm gonna put you on tour with Isaiah Shad. I think Peter Rosenberg sent it to him and he was like, I can't lie. That's that's I confront that's fire, and he put me on tour with isaiahs Shod. I got like a bunch of bro. I had no money. My mom had just passed away. I used the life insurance money bro to pay for that my last ten thousand mile my only time. That's the most money I've ever got in my life at that time, and dollars I got from that shit. I fucking I was about to try to get a little van with it, and shit, They're like, no, I just rant a spriinner, you know. And I think it was a rush card that gave me a little bit of money to do.
Speaker 1: Remember Rush Card, It's crazy they gave me writing.
Speaker 4: I had to have people sign up every great idea in theory, yeah, I had to.
Speaker 1: Have people sign up.
Speaker 3: But that's the dedication, Like my last you know what I'm saying for my mom my blessing, like you know what I mean?
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I think that's that's something that people that separates what I've seen.
Speaker 4: In the fifteen years I've been doing this shit.
Speaker 5: When shot Money allowed me in the building, I was not expecting Shot Money to then guide me to every next pillar. You allowed me in the building, I'm going to maximize every last thing that since you gave me a key card. I'm talking to everybody in this fucking building. I'm going to get to know everyone. I'm gonna try to figure out how I can help with everyone. I think rappers lose that mentality too sometimes when you get signed to say a jay Z all right, go get to know Sherry, go get to know the entire team. Someone's giving you opportunity that doesn't mean they're going to lead you to the fucking water. They just allowed you in the building. Now it is your time to go do something. I watched Sean talk to everybody in marketing. He was asking assistance to help him out with stuff like people that were twenty years old making forty five thousand dollars Big Sean was nobody. Oh, some of those people are stilling his team to this day. Like, that's what you need to do. When you're giving a small opportunity, how can you maximize it for yourself? That work across with everybody. That's where rappers fuck up too. There's still a business at the end of the day. I'm still of the belief that creative should be able to be left alone and be creatives. But it's twenty twenty six, Like, you have to be able to manage yourself to some degree as well, because no one's gonna get your creativity better than you are. You need to explain that to pr you need to explain that to marketing. Your manager can only do so much in that repard. You got to have those relationships. And let's not act like, especially people that work in music don't have some type of vain star mentality as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they want to talk to the artists.
Speaker 5: They'll work harder for you if you get to know them. Yeah, Like they want to talk to artists. That's why they got in the businesses to work with artists. So if manager's cool, I get it. But if you're not putting in a thousand hours the way you did with the guy from Adult Swim, like that means something he liked your project. He ain't like your pr agent's project through you, right, Like you got to talk to these people.
Speaker 4: And I think that's where artists suck up a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think niggas just be just man so used to getting they dick suck and they just don't know nah and just be like bro, they forget that they're human and sometimes so they just be trying to like they expect to.
Speaker 1: Have everybody.
Speaker 3: It's like, listen, look, I think Gay said this, the day you become famous, you stop growing. So you're whatever age you are, that's you're going to be the rest of your life until you're not famous anymore or whatever. And that's stuck with me because it's like the niggas like babies and ship like like crying about certain ship. Like it's like even like reviews and stuff like niggas hear a reviewer like Charlomagne said something about he said, black thought bodied you bro body. He was saying this ship on on Breakfast Club about the Yeah yeah, but you know what's funny, he thought the nigga singing was me. So he said, I ain't gonna cut it. He didn't hear my verse, hear the peece so so, so he's saying this and I just said, man, thank you for even reacting to the joint like I DMN. He just DM me yesterday like on some like Yo, it's all up like but you know that wasn't me that you you thought that was me singing. That wasn't me singing, Like but see how that like that could have been, like.
Speaker 2: Oh man, I could have missed that.
Speaker 5: Also on top of that, like you brought up Peter Rosenberg. I remember when jay Z was on want Epstein and they brought up the the nas line Eminem killed you on your own ship, and Hoe was like, while I don't don't agree with that, would I not want that's my album?
Speaker 2: I'd want an amazing Eminem.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what I'm saying at the end of the day.
Speaker 5: Of course, but like you don't think I want a good verse from my album?
Speaker 1: And you know.
Speaker 3: What what I did say? What also is great about that? I talked to Tari Black thought we was in the studio, me and him, Erica and pause from Daylight sou and he literally I was like, man, I did that verse, but man, you came with George, like you really because I was biging him up.
Speaker 4: He's like, no, but you dropped a bunch of names down there.
Speaker 1: With yeah. But I mean.
Speaker 3: Be around that that type of energy, it's amazing. We were talking about eight tracks. I was trying to understand how shi it was when they was growing up. They never understood the h fact that's what he's talking about.
Speaker 1: I was talking about guy.
Speaker 3: Had beefing anybody before and they had some crazy interesting stories.
Speaker 1: Erica was amazing. She played a.
Speaker 3: Very amazing project that I can't wait for that ship to come out.
Speaker 5: If it's the one I think talking about this the one.
Speaker 4: I don't understand why it's not.
Speaker 1: It's really good, it's.
Speaker 4: Incredible, it's almost too it's really actually like, yeah, this even the.
Speaker 2: Devil Smiles e TDS Mixtape by I d K listen, man, I just want to thank you for this project, because this is like such a refreshing just vibe energy to here raps in music like this. Man, It's like we don't like we were sold off mic like they don't. People don't put the effort into music as much as they use it. They don't have the intention, the attention to detail as much. People just want to get an album done and get it out. But this this, this this project from top to bottom. Bro, I mean, push your t black thought, no I d conduct, which we don't even dmx.
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 2: This is just I don't I just I can't stop talking about I started listening to this. Definitely one of my favorite projects in the last time in many years. And this is the type of album that we should be talking about Roy, Like everybody want talk about these other artists and shout out to other though I don't want to hurt Bravado. Yeah, I'm gonna say, but this to me is like to have this now, you know, Like and we said this year twenty twenty six, We've gotten a lot of good music so far, but this is one of the albums or problem mixtapes that I think everybody should be playing it because it's that incredible.
Speaker 5: Before we let you go, I'm not sure if there's something you want to advertise.
Speaker 4: But I thought I thought it was great.
Speaker 5: So by the time they hear this, your event in New York would have already passed.
Speaker 4: It is tonight.
Speaker 5: You were mentioning that there are fans that may not have the means to come to your show. You can write in letters to get free tickets. I thought that was like a really cool that you were doing. How long you been doing that?
Speaker 3: I think I did it before one other time, the last time I went and did a couple of shows.
Speaker 1: I just think, like a lot of people, I think.
Speaker 3: The world is an interesting place, and I think that a lot of people are trying to figure out how to escape where we're at. And I like for my shows to be and my music to be an aid to that. But then some people just ain't got it like that right now, I've heard I saw people talking about they lost their family and financially since then they ain't been good. They had to cover the funeral, and they just asking for tickets. They just asking for tickets, gee, Like, so I give them the ticket and a meeting and greet for free.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying, Like, it's.
Speaker 3: Just like if you if it's if you're willing to write a letter about it, you care.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying. If I can do that, I can do that.
Speaker 3: And I have great fans to where some of them are buying tickets for other people. You know what I'm saying, which I thought was really special as well. Yeah, that's just really that. It's really that, but hopefully nobody abuses it.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, right, let me get some tickets And I got you right, That's why, Like I mean, I guess we could say now since we're on the topic ball and I have done that a lot with people that have DMed us or even people on our discord that just buy regular tickets get great no matter what. We just haven't advertised it because I just don't want my dms to be all eight hundred people at the show say.
Speaker 2: Right, right, right, right, right right right.
Speaker 5: But yeah, that's definitely a special thing that I admire.
Speaker 1: Thank you that I appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Is there anything we can expect for?
Speaker 1: Again?
Speaker 5: This is this will be out by the time the show is over. But yeah, what's the show look like tonight?
Speaker 1: This one.
Speaker 3: I'm just gonna do strictly what's on this record, So it's like, it's the show you would have normally done right when the record comes out for fans, but you know, we wasn't expecting certain things or whatever, so we ended up putting it together fairly last minute and putting it this at the time, and that made sense. I was gonna be out here for fouling and all that stuff, so that's what happened. But but the great part of it is, I'm just gonna give them this record.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: There could be something later on where I do this and all the other stuff and and probably something new, but for this, what to expect is learn them words, say them words. Put that you know. That's that's what we're gonna do in New York and l a fire.
Speaker 2: Yeah all right, well, I DK man, We thank you for giving us some of your time.
Speaker 1: Man, we know you got a.
Speaker 2: Busy Thank you for this mixtape and incredible project fam And if you haven't heard it, I don't know what you're listening to, but turn that ship off, turned on E T d S. This ship is incredible We're gonna hopefully see you soon next time when you're running New York.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: I'm that nigga. He's just Jinger. That's I. D K E T D is available now.
Speaker 1: Yes,