Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys Let's go.
Speaker 3: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 3: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 5: Absolutely?
Speaker 3: Ready for a break? Yeah, and so much for that.
Speaker 1: It's time for the Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com. Were with Mbar Garcia, Brian brought Us, Nick Harris, and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 6: It is Wednesday, February twelfth, twenty twenty five, Season twenty, episode number one oh two. Welcome to the latest edition Over the Break, Live from s WBC Mortgage Studios at the Star, presented by LG. LG's the world's number one O lead TV brand for eleven years in counting See why LG dot Com Ford slash O lead EVO. We got the crew back together. We did not have a show last week because so many people just decided they didn't want to come to work. Everybody stay what except for me, and but now we got you guys back. Happy, everybody's back. I'm sure you got some great stories from your uh, your trips to the super Bowl and Amber had a little family trip.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so everybody had.
Speaker 7: Very cool land or world World.
Speaker 3: It's fun Diego's first time. So you know, that was.
Speaker 7: Great, awesome, you know, it's magical.
Speaker 6: But you guys coming back from the Super Bowl, and actually I wanted to start the conversation there. Obviously, the Eagles get their win, they get their second UH championship in the history of their franchise. As you watch that game, and I found myself doing this, I thought it'd be an interesting question just to go around the table.
Speaker 3: What do you think was.
Speaker 6: The biggest takeaway you had as you put it in Cowboys world and you watch the Eagles do what they did, and obviously, knowing this is a league where it's a copycat league, people typically look for things that are successful when they try to do some of them, not all of them, but some of them. What was the biggest takeaway that you grab from that Eagles game? You're like, that's what the Cowboys need, That's what the Cowboys need to do.
Speaker 8: Can I can I look at it from a totality rather than the game. You know, Stephen Jones has said that the Eagles eventually their payday is gonna come as far as all the investments that they've made into into their roster, and he's right, But how much do you balance that with sacrificing it for the now and trying to push for a Super Bowl for the now? And Jerry Jones said last offseason, and he said again on the NFL Honors Red Carpet and New Orleans last Thursday night, Is said, we're not building for the future.
Speaker 7: We're trying to win now.
Speaker 8: And I think if that's truly the case, then they can look at what the Eagles have done as far as Okay, hey, we we're gonna shorten our window by about two years by investing so much on both sides of the wall here, but it's gonna give us a better chance during that window. And obviously it worked out for Howie Roseman. He gets to put a ring on his hand and you know, whenever those whenever the cap hell is coming around the corner, then he can wipe it with a ring on his hand, you know. And I think you have to balance that, and that's the balance act of a GM. It's what makes this league difficult from a GM's perspective. But I think that's one thing I look at and saying, like, hey, the Rams sacrificed it, they got to ring out of it. The Buccaneers sacrifice it, they got to ring out of it, and now the Eagles have done the same thing. So you wonder maybe that's maybe that's the bread and butter figuring this thing out.
Speaker 9: It's about really the ability to navigate the draft and then free agency. How important both of them are. If you look at the key player, even though he didn't play the key role in that game with Barkley and going out and getting they made the commitment to go out and get him, spend eleven million dollars to get that particular player, even though there's like you know, the injury history and all that, the draft was outstanding for him. Cooper Degene, you know, you look at Quintin Mitchell. You look at those guys and the way that they played with with that, with those guys and the secondary, the draft picks that they made throughout the Georgia kids are starting to show up now. I mean there was you know, that was something they had multiple first round picks, they moved around, you know, they they the earmarked players and were able to get them. Some players fell right to them. They made the picks. It just showed me how important is they balance between the free agency and the draft is the building the football team.
Speaker 10: I wanted to ask you something and this is not U because I completely agree with your point, and this is not to argue with it, but me with someone that's not one hundred percent super knowledgeable with the cap and the money and all of that. But right, it's so complicated.
Speaker 9: Even the people that work.
Speaker 10: But at what point do you get to that because we keep hearing, okay, your your hands are so tied, right, but when when do you get to a point that you can actually make those moves or have the ability to put that kind of money and invest in that way.
Speaker 8: Let's we can put it from the Cowboys perspective. Yes, easy, Yes, this offseason specifically, and you go on spow Track or you go on over the Cap, and yes, there are things you can do with the current cap number that the Cowboys have available going into this offseason. However, it's not as easy as just clicking a button on Spowtrack or over the CAAP dot com. Yes, you could restructure Terrance Steal this offseason. Yes, you could restructure Trayvon Dix. Yes, if you got a Michael Parsons deal done today, that could allow you to push some of that money down the line and maximize the two to three year window that you have right now. Yes, and I think that should be priority number one when you go into this offseason and saying like, hey, we need to get Michael Parsons done before March twelfth, when the new league year hits, so we know what we're spending in free agency.
Speaker 7: If I were the Cowboys, that's what I would be saying.
Speaker 8: But you can move some of those things along to create more money for now, and that's you look at what Philadelphia did last year as far as getting Jalen Hurts done early, DeVante Smith done early. It allowed them to kind of figure out what they want to do as far as pushing that money down the line. They were able to bring in Saquon Barkley, they were able to bring in Zach Bond, who's a Defensive Player of the Year candidate. And granted, they're going to have to pay that bill when that time comes because they push that money down the line, so that that ninety million dollars cap hit or whatever for Jalen Hurts, it's coming in twenty seven.
Speaker 7: I think that's coming, and that's going to.
Speaker 8: Be really difficult to get out of but they got a ring out of it, So it's it's from the Cowboys perspective. I think they don't want to be in that situation at any point in time, so they don't create that. And part of that's respectable. But I think also you also have to look at, Okay, some a lot of these teams that are winning rings and have rings on their hand they've sacrificed. Does there come up points where you eventually have to sacrifice?
Speaker 6: But I also think part of it is I think they did it, they did it a different way, but the amount of money that they spent primarily on their own players in that two thousand to two thousand and three window, that was really their window. Like they had a team that they built that was on paper good enough.
Speaker 3: To do some stuff.
Speaker 6: They just missed their window, in my opinion, now they're having then they had to pay the piper last year, Like it was like, Okay, now you got to pay the bill on what you've had the last three years, and you didn't get to that promised land with the strategy you took the players you decided to pay. Now they never went all in like the Eagles. From the standpoint of we're gonna go out and free agency and spend that kind of money. But they certainly were spending money on their own guys and resigning their own guys, and so I just believe like they had a window. They just didn't achieve what they wanted to achieve in that window.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think that's fair.
Speaker 9: I was just curious because I was looking up Jalen Hurts because he doesn't he never makes more than fifty million dollars a year, and that and to the void the the cap pit you're talking about the ninety seven million that comes in twenty twenty nine. Yeah, I mean he makes his cap number this year.
Speaker 3: How long is this deal?
Speaker 9: His deal, his deal actually goes through, He's got they've got voidable years going through this thing all the way through. It looks like twenty thirty two.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 9: So when he did it, it was like a Yeah, they got him for They got him on his rookie deal. They got him to sign it on his rookie deal. His cap number this year was thirteen and a half million dollars. His cap number next year is twenty one eight. The following year is thirty one nine. Very manageable for the cap the cap year in twenty twenty seven, forty two to one, twenty twenty eight, forty seven to five, and then you get the and then you get the ninety seven million dollars.
Speaker 3: Now, of course they're gonna have to do something with that.
Speaker 6: You would have to, but they might be thinking about it, like, but he's signed be at thirty one mins old.
Speaker 9: Yeah, he'll be thirty one years old in twenty twenty nine, so they'll they'll figure out some other way and then that's probably where they'll have to pay him, if you know.
Speaker 3: But think about that.
Speaker 9: I mean they've got him from from from well this year until twenty twenty nine, and he's there, he's not making more than fifty million dollars a year.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you look at aj Brown in twenty thirty his cap number is fifty three and a half million.
Speaker 7: I mean that there's there's a lot of Steven Joones is right. The bill is going to have to be paid.
Speaker 6: But they got but they got a window of what four or five years where they can.
Speaker 8: Just kind of twenty twenty eight to really run this thing up. So I mean that's a hell of a window.
Speaker 3: And they got a ton of talent.
Speaker 7: Window they got a talent. And I'll put.
Speaker 6: It to you like this, And this is what jumped out to me as I was watching that game that I think every team in the NFL. You hear it said all the time, but everybody doesn't really invest in.
Speaker 3: It the same way. The trenches matter.
Speaker 6: If you've got the better offensive and defensive line, you will win. And we saw it play out in that game. They were playing the best quarterback on the planet and he couldn't be the best quarterback on the planet because their defensive line was too ferocious. They just couldn't be And by the way, they have the best offensive line, so they were able to protect their quarterback and they weren't able to get the kind of pressure on him. The trenches were where that game was won and lost. And I think that's that was the takeaway for me. And then you want to apply it to the Cowboys and I'm like, Okay, look at the offensive line. Man, there's a bunch of question marks on that offensive line right now. Other than Tyler Smith. You don't have another guy that you say, yes, that is he is where he needs to be. There a lot of guy.
Speaker 7: What we know about.
Speaker 3: BB is he looked pretty good as a rookie. He's got a lot of development to do.
Speaker 6: So if he keeps developing, great, that's still a question mark, right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean so guid In same thing. Like Guiden had some moments that were pretty good. He's got some developing to do. You know, still had a better second half than the first half.
Speaker 6: But is he like is that is that a sign of things to come that he's going to have more of the bad games and the good games the time goes on?
Speaker 3: You know, are you going to have Zach Martin back? And is so is he going to be healthy?
Speaker 6: Like you have all these question marks on that side of the ball, On the defensive side of the ball, you got just as many, if not more questions about where you are right now. So I think just looking at the trenches, just looking at the trenches alone, I think the Cowboys have a lot of questions answered. If everything works out and everybody meets the standard of what they're of those questions, great it works. There are a lot of questions there, and I think that's the part where I'm like, if I'm going into this offseason and you start talking about draft as you guys are doing on the Draft show, I would be looking at this thing saying, man, build my lines.
Speaker 3: Build my lines.
Speaker 6: That's why that's what I got out at Super Bowl. Build my offense and build my defensive line. I can make everything else work.
Speaker 7: It's tough. It's a discussion.
Speaker 8: I know we've had a couple of times already on the draft shows the offensive line.
Speaker 7: When do you start investing on the end.
Speaker 8: Do you want to go three out of four years picking in the first round on offensive line?
Speaker 6: And they did it when it worked for them back with that that last crew they had.
Speaker 7: Right, certainly, certainly there's a case to be made for it.
Speaker 9: There was those guys though, were collegiately. They played a lot more than what you had with Geyton. Yeah, you know guys, Frederick Martin, you know those guys. They they've played they yeah, they played you know Smith, They've played a lot of football in college.
Speaker 3: The problem is Smith.
Speaker 6: Came out after eleven. Yeah, you know what I'm saying. He came out after his junior year. Right, did all of them come out after their junior year?
Speaker 9: I think I think I think the scene I think, uh, I think Frederick and Martin were seniors because they Yeah, I mean they played a ton, They played a ton of football. The thing about is you caught Geyiton on the tail end of the tackles in the draft last year. You know you you caught him on the tail end, and that's that's you know you're picking. You're picking twenty eighth and you're looking at a tackle and you you know you picked him, and that's you know, he has not played a lot of football. Bbe played a lot of football and didn't look the learning curve for him didn't look as steep as what it looked for Guiton, you know. And I think that's you know, the problem that I have with this draft. And I'm not going to speak for Nick. If you're told me to fix the trent, to fix the trenches, I feel better about fixing it with defensive linemen than I do offensive lineman right now. It's because of the talent pool and the talent pool and then and I think there's a I think there's a really big unknown for a lot of these offensive.
Speaker 3: Linemen and you want to see a playout.
Speaker 9: I you know what, it scares the f out of me right now, to be honest, if.
Speaker 3: You were the personnel guy in there, you'd be like, I don't know.
Speaker 7: I mean, I I have, I have.
Speaker 9: I have really good feelings about I feel have really good feelings about the defensive tackle group. I have really good feelings about the running back group. I have good feelings about the wide receiver group. In a way, I actually have a good feeling about the corners in this draft, I don't I'm gonna have to go into free agency, you know, I'm gonna have to figure out do I want to? And I was looking at over the cap on this. You know, when you talk, we're not allowed to talk about guys that are contracting on the orion teams.
Speaker 3: Okay, unless they're gonna be a free agent.
Speaker 9: Okay, O our linebacker Kansas City, right, Okay, is he he's I think he's a I think he's a free agent.
Speaker 11: For it.
Speaker 3: Let's make sure he's a free agent.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I know, But I'm just saying. We got your point though, we get okay, But I would rather, I would rather. I would rather spend money on that than I would spend money on what I what I know right now, what I what I know. I think I'm right about.
Speaker 3: What you know right now? On the on the on the Guy.
Speaker 9: Osa, Golston, Lewis, those kinds of guys.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Nick Bolton will be a free agent.
Speaker 9: Thank you. Okay, Nick Bolton, I just I thought I was right about that. But Nick Bolton, Okay, I don't have a linebacker that. I don't have linebackers that I could just say that's my guy, that's my guy, that's my guy. It's just not a deep position. And if you look at the valuation of Nick Bolden as a player, he's basically he's on a rookie deal, but he's like a nine million dollar player. So you're probably going to have to spend twelve million dollars to get Nick Bolton is here. But then, but if you look at the valuations of guys like Golston nine million dollar player or or Osa, which might be a twelve to thirteen million dollar player, give me the linebacker over what I know with with Osa and what I know with with Golston. In that kind of situation, I would rather I think I could I could draft, I can draft the defensive line. I don't know if I could find the linebackers for you. So if I get a guy, it's a stud linebacker. And these scouts, right, now are gonna, you know, they're starting to meet with the coaches because they got the staff together, and now Flus will be able to tell them, hey, I like this type or I like that type, and the linebacker I like this type and I like you know, they'll be able to kind of map that out. But I just feel that to me, if I have to spend thirteen million dollars on os, I would rather spend nine to ten million dollars on Bolton, the linebacker from Kansas City. That's what I would rather do.
Speaker 3: All right, let's take our first break.
Speaker 6: When we come back, I want to talk about some of the hires that we have not talked about for this coaching staff, particular offensive coordinator and what he could potentially bring to the table.
Speaker 3: Do that when we come right back. This is Dallascowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 2: Todd thought it would be secure to jog and the cheat of Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and T five G is fast reliable and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and t five G Fast, reliable, Secure five G.
Speaker 12: Requires compatble plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five G for you foody deals.
Speaker 13: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus Because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy liftball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 4: Don't put off getting your oil change Dallas. Take five oil change. A proud partner of the Cowboys is faster than you think. They're so fast you don't even have to get out of your car. You can take advantage of Take fives. Stay in your car ten minute oil change at any of their locations across the Dallas area. And remember at take five you stay in your car because they're faster than you think. That means you won't even have time to show off your best touchdown celebration. Take five the official oil change of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 7: From the field to the festivities.
Speaker 14: Lu Casey embodies the essence of luxury and tradition. Handcrafted with meticulous precision, each pair offers unmatched comfort and style. Stand tall while you're tailgating or cheering in the stands with the Dallas Cowboys Collection by Lucasey. Shop the collection today at the Lucasey store at the starn Frisco or.
Speaker 7: Online at lucasey dot com.
Speaker 14: Lucasey the official boot of the Dallas Cowboys and Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders.
Speaker 6: How do you tell the world about all the great gifts in the Yetti Store?
Speaker 3: Letter Rip Troy?
Speaker 15: All right, folks, let's get started with the Yeddy French Press and Joe Calboy This Day's Hot for hours and French Press thirty four as for U six four for with the cruise of Yetty French Press, what mixed waterproof bags, bags, waterproof, Somewhere's wall Waterproof, Devil's waterproved by bags for as well with water to get a water prove YETI bay, don't smell something cooking. New cast iron Skillet's made to be passed down like Mama's recipe. You take a steak, Cornbeck comperence, pop Pine and ptatoes next over well three sizes of the yetty cast iron skillets.
Speaker 6: Gear gifts and product experts visit the Yetti store on McKinney Street and at South Lake Town Square.
Speaker 16: Today back to the break.
Speaker 10: LG old Evo is the best TV in the game, but don't take our work for it. Digital Trends said that LG OLEDG four has the best picture quality they've ever seen. See you for yourself at LG dot com slash Oledevo.
Speaker 3: Welcome back.
Speaker 6: It is the second segment of the break life and that's WUBC Mortgage Studios at the start of the segment, brought to you by Blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 7: Ding.
Speaker 3: Okay, ding, that's what we're doing. Yeah, twenty twenty five, that's what we're doing.
Speaker 9: All right.
Speaker 6: Let's let's talk about some of the hires that this coaching staff has made let's start first to the offensive coordinator Clayton and Clayton Adams. What are your thoughts on that hire as an offensive coordinator coming from Arizona.
Speaker 8: I think it's a strong hire personally. I think there's an emphasis being taken right now to running the ball that they want to. They want to run the ball with this new system Schottenheimer talked about in the presser. Dak mentioned it yesterday at the Children's Cancer Fund event, and you look at the hires that they've made. They are trying to emphasize marrying what Schottenheimer can do from a West Coast passing perspective with an efficient run game, and the Clayton Adams hires a big, big key of that coming from the Cardinals as their offensive line coach. Obviously, I'm going to throw some numbers at you and let me know if it starts getting too confusing, Derek, But this is the splits that Arizona had last year when it came to run concepts, and I'm going to compare those numbers with the Cowboys numbers from last year. So inside zone runs Arizona ran nineteen point six percent of the time last year compared to the Cowboys thirty one point one percent, so a lean, heavy on not a lot of creativity. Same could be said with outside zone. When it came to inside zone and outside zone, the two most common runs that you'll see in the NFL. The Cowboys ran one of those two fifty three point seven percent of the time. You compare that with the Cardinals from last year. I'm trying to do quick math in my head, thirty nine point one percent last year. But the one that really sticks out to me and the one that I think will really help benefit this not only this running game, but this offensive line group is the poll lead run that is getting an offensive lineman out in space, having him run down field and and you know, pull guys from across the angle blocks angles than line scrimmage one on one blocks. And Arizona ran that fourteen point two percent of the time last year on one hundred and twenty three carries. Compare that to the Cowboys eleven point nine percent on ninety nine carries last year.
Speaker 7: So there's going to be.
Speaker 8: A lot of different things that you see with with this run game, and the Clayton Adams hire is a big part of that. I think you marry that with offensive line coach Connor and what Kansas State has done from a creative running perspective with goos Vaughan, with DJ Giddens over the course of the last three years. You were going to have a creative run game finally, and I am so happy to say that right here.
Speaker 3: So here's my question.
Speaker 6: You talk about that, do you have the offensive line personnel to be able to do those things.
Speaker 7: You hope you will?
Speaker 9: At right tackle you do, yes, I agree, At center you do, At left guard you do. Now we'll see with what happens who's the left tackle, if it's Guiden or if it's somebody else. But the one thing some of the better plays that Geiiton did have if you watch Oklahoma tape, was him getting out in space. So the pind and pull stuff is really.
Speaker 3: Just that's actually easier blocks.
Speaker 9: So simple because you just and the the you said eleven percent Dallas on the that's cracked toss. That's you know, we saw how they get the ball to the outside. It's take the receiver, crack the edge, then kind of pull guys on the outside and and Dallas had some success doing that. So, uh, yeah, the center got better second level during the season. The right tackle is clearly athletic enough to play pen and poll, I agree, and then the and then but in the left guard is athletic enough to play pen and pool. So you're gonna have to kind of figure out though the other spots, if that's what I think. The thing that tells me that I look at those numbers is that people that that Arizona got to a point where they were like, listen, you try and stop us doing this. We're going to do this. They're able to kind of adjust. And and the thing that I heard about Adams as a coach from talking to people with the Cardinals is that he is a guy that will coach veterans and rookies the same. He'll cook, he'll coach them hard, but not to the point. I mean, he's more of a teacher kind of a guy, not a yellow screamer guy. But he this is where guys like needs Godon needs a reset, you know, Goidon needs a reset on. Okay, maybe a different voice. We saw, you know, we saw what happened with with Steele when Philbin left. It kind of you know, that was Philbin was his guy. So I think that if you tell me that I have a coach that will work with rookies and veterans the same way and teach them the same way. That gives me some hope for guiding and going in the future.
Speaker 8: I'm glad you mentioned Steel because I think these hires that they have made that benefit the offensive line benefit Terrence Steel more than.
Speaker 7: Any five of those guys up front.
Speaker 8: When you when you can maximize his athleticism, get him active in the run game once again rather than just point of attack blocking, you know, front, I think it's going to really help Terrence Steele moving forward.
Speaker 10: Well, I what I like the best is obviously the running aspect of it. But the point that the Cowboys and Schottenheimer, they all decided to go and hire somebody that has exactly the qualities and the skills where you're lacking that they and that doesn't always happens when the Cowboys go out and hire somebody that you're like familiar, yeah, like okay, what else are they bringing to the table. But this is someone that is clearly bringing something that you have been struggling with and we're unable to truly find the answers to it. Got better at the end of the season, but you clearly needed a change there. So that's the biggest thing that I like is the fact that it's refreshing to finally be able to feel like you addressed an issue, and that isn't always the case when the Cowboys do hiring or get somebody in here.
Speaker 8: Kind Of to that same point, I got to give Brian Schottenheimer credit because twenty five years as an assistant, you run into a lot of coaches, you run into a lot of relationships, you build a lot of relationships.
Speaker 7: Obviously he's a relationships guy.
Speaker 8: I got to give him credit for stepping outside of his comfort zone and building the staff and bringing in the right guys. And you know, Clayton Adams isn't a guy that he has experienced with. Then Connor Riley is not a guy he has experienced with. There's multiple guys you could say that about on the offensive side of the ball. Granted, they retained two guys that were on staff already, but I think you ask anybody, those are two staffer retentions that you would have wanted. So I gotta got a credit Shotenheimer for doing that.
Speaker 3: Yep, all right, let's talk about.
Speaker 6: Excuse me a couple of the other position coaches who have been hired Connor Riley. You mentioned offensive line coach from k State, Junior Adams coming from Oregon as wide receivers coach, and Derek Foster as a running back coach running backs coach.
Speaker 3: Tell what you like about some of those guys.
Speaker 8: The first thing that popped in my mind is running backs, so we can start there, just because it's going to be a position group that gets a lot of conversation this offseason, whether we're talking about the draft, when do you take one? Do you take one early? Do you take one late?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 8: Free agency? Do you do you grab one then or do you wait and grab two in the draft? There's gonna be a lot of free running back discussions that we have, not only in this show, but on the Draft Show. Derek Foster when you when you factor in his evaluation of running backs, He's drafted three running backs as a running backs coach in his time over the course of the last five or so years. Have not loved the resume as far as who he's brought in. The best running back that he has drafted, the only one that is still in the NFL is Isaiah Spiller and hasn't done a whole lot obviously, so I wonder how much he will get when it comes to the evaluation of these guys. But you look at how Derek Foster has maximized what he has gotten at the running back position, I think there's a lot to like there. You could look at Austin Eckler when he was kind of overseeing his rise for the Chargers. You could look at Kamara this last year when Kamara was healthy and we were talking earlier in the year about Kamara being an Offensive Player of the Year candidate before the Saints fell off a cliff. So I think I think as far as marrying the run with the receiving game out of the backfield, Derek Foster is a good higher there.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you know, you start to talk about with Adams the wide receivers coach, you know, that's gonna that's a really that's a big hire. That's a that's a group of you know, Dallas has got to figure out some things at the at the receiver room, whether that's you know, with Tolbert and you know players currently behind Lamb. You know, this is a pretty deep group that Nick and I are talking about with you know, the guys that can play the exposition, play on the line, allow CD to kind of have some of the movement stuff that he needs. But uh, it's interesting that they went the collegiate route here. Uh, you know, because usually it's a group. It's kind of a that wide receiver room usually has a lot of egos and usually so you just wonder, maybe you have to have a player that relates or excuse me, a coach that relates to the players, and you know, hopefully he can get the maximum out of these guys. I do think they're going to have to address this thing through the draft, you know, I think they're going to have to get better at that position, so you know, hopefully, I mean, you know, we'll connect the dots here on the show because you know, Tess Johnson, who is a wide receiver from Oregon, is a very talented receiver. People will probably connect the dots here that you have an Oregon coach that maybe if you go and get a receiver, but he's very similar to some of the guys you have, so it might you know, we'll see how that all plays out. But that the fact that they've gone after these collegiate coaches is an interesting way of navigating things.
Speaker 3: All right, let's take our final break.
Speaker 6: When we come back, we will talk about Actually, we'll do our season and review. We've been wanting to get to this for a few weeks now, but now the Super Bowl is over and we are clearly into the offseason and it's time to start evaluating players and looking forward. I'll take one more look back at the twenty twenty four season and get some bigger overall thoughts on what we saw and what we think it means going into twenty twenty five. We'll be back Dallas Cowboys dot com Radio.
Speaker 11: If you can't be at the stadium, there's no better way to watch your Cowboys than on an lg O led Evo TV. That's because everything you see is more lifelike, every play, every hit. I mean, you might just will be on the sidelines, that's how clear it is. It's all thanks to LG's legendary technology, perfect black over eight point three million self lit pixels.
Speaker 7: No one comes close.
Speaker 11: LG O led Evo is the best TV in the game for a reason.
Speaker 3: See for yourself at LG slash oh leed Evil.
Speaker 16: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, gator utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit Unitedagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 8: If you shout how about them Cowboys, you have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't be beat better yet, gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone.
Speaker 7: The wins will be even tasty. It's a Pepper thing.
Speaker 3: And we're going to overtie Erica.
Speaker 16: How much have I spent on concessions?
Speaker 5: For questions about their money, Dallas Cowboys fans can turn to Erica, the virtual financial assistant in the Bank of America mobile banking app. Learn more at Bankofamerica dot com, slash Erica by your Side. Bank of America Official Bank of the Dallas Cowboys. Erica responses me very digital tools featured required downloading the mobile banking app and may only be available on select mobile devices. Erica is a mobile feature only available in the English language. Your chap may be recorded and monitored. Quality assurance, message, data rate and additional terms may apply. Bank of America and a member FDIC.
Speaker 2: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G Fast reliable, secure.
Speaker 12: Five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your areas. See add dot com Slash five G for you for deals.
Speaker 3: Back to the Break.
Speaker 10: At and T connecting changes everything.
Speaker 3: Welcome back.
Speaker 6: It is the final segment of The Break Live from this s WBC Mortgage Studios at the Star. Let's start our season in review. I'm going to start this with this big picture question. If you had one word that would describe the twenty twenty four season for the Dallas Cowboys, which of these three best describes Disappointing, frustrating or predictable?
Speaker 8: Disappointing, disappointing in the fact of injuries, in the fact of team performance, and the fact of offensive performance too. You can factor it in before the injuries even got involved. Look at Dak Prescott's play. He was on pace to set his career high in interceptions at a certain point, you look at any facet of the game.
Speaker 7: The run game was disappointing. That was a little bit more predictable, but.
Speaker 8: The overall offense success was disappoint The pass rush before Michael Parsons was able to come back into the equation was disappointing. UH seven to ten overall is disappointing.
Speaker 9: I would say expected because to me, you look at the situation with the with the you know, the coach on a one year deal, the you know, the staff on a one year deal. I mean, what were you really expecting here, you know? I mean you, yeah, the injuries and all that. You had some of the same problems, and there are things you saw during training camp that that bothered you. You know, as the season was, you know, you're like, well, man, this is not going to be good. So in a way, it's you kind of got what you You kind of got what you were expecting, that that this was going to be a struggle because of the front office saying, hey, the coach is on this, the coaches are on this, got a new coordinator here. You know, it just seemed to me that there was it just never was going in the right direction once we left Oxnard.
Speaker 10: I would say predictable because even though there are times that you're hoping and you get into the emotions and you think, oh, they're gonna do better than it's that hard over logic type of battle there. But when you go back to the beginning of training camp and when you go back to how the year the game ended against Green Bay and you talk Derek about missing that window. You missed that window. You knew the struggles you were heading into training camp with. And then even at training camp, you start having those practices with the Rams and you see these battles and you see them getting beat and you're like, Okay, am I really seeing what am I seeing? And you're not really wanting to believe it. But if you look at that like that, it reflected back to all the way back to training camp and those battles where they kept getting beat. So it's just a lot of it pointed to that season being bad. That was gonna be bad in a lot of different ways because of the resources that you no longer had prior because of the previous year. So but also I didn't predict the defense to have players that would play as well as they did, So that's another thing. There were a lot of players that played a lot better than I expected them to in the second half of the season. So I don't know, it was disappointing, frustrating, and predictable because you already knew you you were heading into a season with a lot of struggles.
Speaker 6: You know, I actually said frustrating because I think going back to even training camp, I think we all agreed there were things that they needed to do in order to have success, and the big one was the running game, and I think we I think we.
Speaker 3: Said it over and over.
Speaker 6: You got to give them an opportunity to s show you that they can run the ball, and they were not willing to do it at the part of the season. And so for me, it was frustrating because I think there were things they could have done throughout this year that would have made this season better. I don't think they did them, or I think they did them too late. And Mike Zimmer talked about how he felt like he had regrets because there were things he should have been doing earlier that he just didn't do it, and then later he decided I'm gonna do it and things changed, right, And so that was what was frustrating is I think this team was better as far as their talent is concerned. I think they were better than what the result was. And I think some of that could have changed if they'd handled things a little bit differently from the standpoint of how they were being coached. Yeah, all right, let's go to the next question, which injury do you think most impacted Dallas this season Deron Bland, Tank, Lawrence, Dak Prescott, or Zach Martin. And you can talk about Zach Martin from the standpoint of him being out there playing even though he was injured.
Speaker 7: I would have to take Dak.
Speaker 8: Granted, this team was three and five coming out of that Atlanta game, if correctly, so they were already heading downward. But I think that ship gets corrected a lot sooner than it did if Dak was still in the equation.
Speaker 9: I think that the Zach Martin one really really hurt them. Uh well, I should take that back because I feel like that, you know, some of the reasons with you know that you struggling outfits, but think about what happened when Bland didn't play and you had like seven dudes having to play that position. So Zach Martin was not great, not ideal, but the cornerback rotation at there that that that just was not good enough and it not where it needed to be. And Bland was a big part of that.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I was gonna say Bland because he has been a big part in the secondary and I'm blank, you know what was the rookie guyon Carson Paling? Carson.
Speaker 7: He poor guy.
Speaker 10: He was thrown into the fire and it was it was a lot for him right off the bat. I think that defense right out the beginning, the secondary definitely needed to have a durn Bland healthy again and being able to play alongside Trevon Diggs who was healthy at the time, So I think that was a big hit for the start of the year.
Speaker 6: As we sit today, which player do you think which player are you most concerned about their health moving forward? The Barbion Overshown, Dak Prescott or Trayvon Diggs.
Speaker 8: You said more concerned about, more concerned about. Ooh, this is kind of as we sit here today, Yeah, that's kind of a two way tie for me. I would have to say Trayvon Diggs just because he's coming off of these back to back knees and there's more money invested in the Trayvon Diggs than there isn't a Marvine Overshown. When you compare that they both had back to back knee injuries. That's a tough one because you have one hundred million dollars price tag on Trayvon Diggs and you need him to not only be on the field, you need him to perform, and I think there were times last year after he's really started battling with that knee around the Atlanta game, that the performance was starting to dip alongside the health, So that one hurts a lot. I think there's ways you can work around Dak. You can run the ball more, you can keep him in the pocket more, you can emphasize, you know, trying to make him a different quarterback in some ways. There's some ways you can get around making him not as a mobile moving forward, which sucks, but it might be the reality that they're facing if they want to keep him around for four years. There's not a lot you can do with Trayvon Diggs and his knees.
Speaker 9: I think it's Dak, and I think it's Dak because of the reasons you were talking about Nick and the fact that you're going to have to read and maybe this is why Briton Schottenheimro's name the head coach is because he has an understanding of Dak's limitations and what he can and cannot do. And so to me, it's going to be about can you find the running game, can you find the ability to make him a pocket passer? You know how much mobility is he going to have? Are there things you're going to have to completely eliminate from the offense that we've seen other NFL teams implement and play well with them. So, uh, the Dak the Dak injury is to me is really really big and how that I think it's going to affect the offense going forward because if they don't tailor things to him, I'm curious of how productive he can really be.
Speaker 10: I would have to agree with the Trevon Dicks one as well, because you look, initially I wanted to say the Mario overshawn, but with him, I think he's gonna be fine. He has so much working in his favor as far as like his youth. Then also his personality and how much positivism he has. I think that really affects when you're recovering from anything. His positive outlook at things. It's a very different personality than Trevon Diggs. And there are things that I've heard about him when it comes to what he's doing in let's say rehabbing or a practice. There's a certain lack of discipline discipline that I've heard there that it's gonna be challenging. He's gonna have to give it a one hundred percent and if it doesn't, then that's gonna go into the season. You're gonna see him just on to the side. We're gonna see him walking around at training camp, just watching from the sideline. So I think that's the biggest one because, just like we talked about prior, the cornerback.
Speaker 7: Position is a.
Speaker 10: Sorry there, the way you're standing right now because of our new layout is freaking me out.
Speaker 3: I'm not looking at you. Yeah, okay, somebody who's over here.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, it is freaking me out. Guys, we have, yeah, we have a new layout on the show. So it's just yeah, it's.
Speaker 3: Yes, but Chris.
Speaker 10: But my point being, that's a position just like you said, you you paid the guy, you're gonna need him, and you don't have time to uh because of all the cap salary and blah blah blah. That's gonna be a key position of a guy that's a veteran guy that you need him to be able to perform, you don't have time to waste. And I think that's a that's one to keep an eye on because I know de Marvin Wovershown he's gonna give it a one hundred percent, Dak, He's gonna give it a one hundred percent. As far as the recovery and the everything that they need to do. I don't feel one hundred percent on Trevon Dicks and the way he handles things.
Speaker 8: There's there's no way this front office could have known what they had ahead of them when they signed Treyvon Dicks to that contract in the off season of twenty twenty three or training camp of twenty twenty three. But there's gonna be a lot of internal knee slapping if they have to let a guy like Deron Bland walk because of that contract. And it's it's it's it's a tough one because I feel like you really can only pay one or the other. And unless there's some major restructuring that can be worked out with Treyvon Diggs, uh, Yeah, Deron Blaine's gonna be a tough one to keep the keeping the fold.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's That's also one where you wonder, if you know, the traditional wisdom in the NFL says, go with the young guy right, no matter what, if they're equal, go with the young guy right. And so it does make you wonder when they get to that decision. Does that affect the decision as well, that he's the younger guy and they try to figure out some way if they can't keep both, to keep the younger guy, because I think that happens a lot in the NFL, because it's just typically it's better to have the younger guy, you know. All right, let's move on the next question, which would he performed at a level farthest from your expectation? And this is a little bit of a tricky question because when I say farthest from your expectation, your expectation could have been really high and they underachieve. Your expectation could have been lower and they overachieved. So who was farthest from what you expected from them? Of these five candidates, Cooper, Beb Tyler, Geiden Kaylem Carson, Marris Lefoul or Marshawn Neeland.
Speaker 7: Kind of a two way tie again for me with BB and lea Foul. BB.
Speaker 8: Whenever we were looking at him at camp, I know we've talked about it on this show before, but we were two weeks into camp and this guy was still snapping it all the way to a Ventura and we were like, man, this is gonna be Yeah, it was. It was nowhere close, and I was like, man, this guy might need a year of seasoning before we can throw him in at the center position. And he ended up being fantastic, so uh, And I'd have to give the same for Lea Foul. I just didn't see him being as major of a contributor that he ended up being by the end of the year. So credit to Lea Foul. I don't mention Geyton just because I had an expectation that there were going to be a lot of learning cars. Were there more than I expected, Yes, but I I think I think there was. There should have been an expectation that he was going to have some growing pains in his first year.
Speaker 9: Felt like I was wrong about Carson in a way of being this higher level, and I was wrong about Leah Foul because I didn't know that he was going to play the way he did. And those are the two that to me. The Carson one bothers me a lot because I really felt like that he was going to come in and really compete in the outside corner spot. You know the fact that they had to run through all those guys and he was part of that, and you know, him not being a training camp some as far as you know, missing with injury and time and stuff like that. Then he got hurt, you know, and then it probably was a big whirlwind for him. But unfortunately he did not play at the level that I've seen him play at Wake Force, and that bothered me a lot. And Leah foul I questioned that pick right off the jump if that really was the right pick with running backs on the board and stuff like that. But he played at a much higher level than I even was willing to give him credit for.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Leo fou he.
Speaker 10: Surpassed my expectations because the moment he stepped on that feel he there was no like misbeat, There was not confusion, and that's something that takes a lot for a rookie guy like the feeld awareness, your ability to react in the time that you need to, and he didn't miss a beat. He was on there as soon as he was giving the green light. He went on out there and started making place, tackling, hard tackler, just being aggressive in that way. So that was impressive for a guy like him to be to have so much focus and being able to take advantage of the opportunity that appear and how quickly he did it, that was impressive.
Speaker 6: I know we're running over time, but I had one more question, so we're going to try to get this one in quickly. Which which rookie do you expect to take the bigger jump in year two? Cooper Beebe, Tyler Guiden, Kln, Carson, Marris, Lea Foul, Marshawn Nelon.
Speaker 8: I would go Marshaw Neeland. I think he's gonna have an increased opportunity here. Granted with the free agent set are here at the defensive end position, with Chauncey Golston, Carl Lawston to Marcus Lawrence, there's going to be an increased availability for Marshawn Neeland. I think he takes advantage of it now that he's healthy.
Speaker 9: Thank Carson. I'm going to bet on him once again. I think the talent's there. I think he got caught in a situation with him being injured, him missing time. You know he's going to come back with a much better understanding. He gets kind of a fresh start too with the with the new secondary coach there, so hopefully he will be able to show the things. Like I said that wake Forest he was an outstanding player for the Demon Deakins, and hopefully he'll be an outstanding player for the Dallas cow which He's got that kind of ability.
Speaker 5: You know what.
Speaker 10: I'm gonna go with Carson as well. He's a guy we've seen him. I just think it got It was a lot. It was a lot for him for someone as young as him. You could see how offenses they they were attacking him over and over and over, and that's a lot to handle for a guy like him. Uh So, But going back to things that we even saw at training camp that he he the plays he was making. I mean, you you've seen the talent, You've seen him. He has it in him. So hopefully he can come back this year refreshed, renewed, got some self evaluation to do, and then now he can put it back into action because I think he is a very talented player. It just the situation wasn't a good one for him this past year.
Speaker 6: All right, that's a wrap. We appreciate you guys joining us. We'll be back next week. We'll get a little deeper into this offseason. We'll try to add a little flavor to this thing, maybe get a little draft some little draft talk going with our guys from the Draft Show. I think every might even have a little game for us next week. We'll see until then. For Nick Harris, Brian Broad, Sambergarci. I'm Derek Eglton. This has been the Break live on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.