Speaker 1: The best part of Wake in Bar, Chicken Lukey's on your plate, Chicken Nighties.
Speaker 2: Good mornings, were and welcome to the Nodunks podcast on the Athletic Network. It's Thursday, December fifth, twenty twenty four.
Speaker 3: I'm J.
Speaker 2: Skeet's here in the Classic Factory with no pumpkin pie in sight, and alongside me as always Tesmelis podcast listeners, this is for you. Next to him, it's the Bearded One, a top shot boy, Trey Kirby. Hey, okay yo, and overyonder making the magic happen. Super producer jd. Hello, there he is here. We are shout out to everybody joining us live on YouTube. Hit the light button and subscribe because we got a special guest joining us this morning. He's a senior columnist for The Athletic, having worked for at least thirty years covering the NBA. He's also the co author of the new NBA book, The Basketball one hundred, available everywhere. That link is in the show notes. He's one of our favorites to always have on the show. It's Hall of Famer David Aldridge.
Speaker 4: DA.
Speaker 2: What's up, my guy?
Speaker 1: Gentlemen, what's happening? Good to see you.
Speaker 2: Great to have you on. Really excited to talk a little bit about this book. And I guess the first question the Basketball one hundred. It is the definitive ranking of the one hundred greatest NBA players of all time. I want to know, like, what was the idea behind this and the process of spinning this into a book. Take us through that.
Speaker 5: Well, I'm sure you guys remember back in twenty one, the NBA had the seventy fifth anniversary, right, so they did their seventy five greatest players. They had everybody come to Cleveland for All Star and it was awesome, right, So we did the top seventy five in twenty twenty one at the Athletic and it was, you know, we had a new player every day. So it was two and a half months leading up to All Star weekend before we're revealed number one. So we did the seventy five and then I don't know about like eighteen months ago, our book people came to us and they had done a Baseball one hundred with Joe pez Nanski that had done very well. They were in the process of doing a football one hundred book and they asked us if we would if we could expand the seventy five into one hundred and do a book. And so, you know, Rob Peterson was our point person, great editor that we work with. John and I kind of shepherded the last twenty five. We didn't take anybody out of the original seventy five.
Speaker 1: That we had ranked.
Speaker 5: When we did our series, because I just thought it would be disrespectful to.
Speaker 1: Have somebody in the seventy five that wasn't in the hundred.
Speaker 5: That didn't make a lot of sense, right, So we just had to add twenty five. And so over the process of the last eighteen months, you know, we kind of decided who the twenty five would be and farmed out the extra twenty five stories that had to be written. We had to edit the ones that had already been written for the seventy five because we had to get into book length form. I think I think Rob said, it's two hundred thousand words in the books, so yeah, there's a lot of words, So it's a big book. So that's that was the genesis of it. And we've been working on it for the last year year.
Speaker 1: And a half.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you wrote the intro here. You did I believe nine player profiles and then you also have this twenty four second piece at the end, which is great. Who was your favorite player to write about of the nine that you ultimately get in this book, I.
Speaker 5: Mean there were the two that jumped to mind were Doctor j and Wilt just because you know, you have a you you think, you know, you have a feeling for who these people are based on watching them over the years, and then you dig into a little bit and you interview people that knew them and played with them and played against them, and you just get a whole different view of their greatness, right, And so with Julius it was not just you know, we all loved his jumping ability and his dunks and all that, but he you know, you find out he was a great player period, Like he's a career fifty one percent shooter from the floor, you know, and was fundamentally sound and really played the game at a high intelligent level. And then was well, it's just how cartoonish's numbers are, right, I mean, they just don't make any sense. You don't you look in Basketball Reference, Nobody else in basketball, including Jordan Lebrono, nobody has numbers like well, they're just cartoonish, Like they.
Speaker 1: Don't even look real. You know, it's just you know, fifty and twenty five.
Speaker 5: You ever, it's fifty and twenty five like that, How is that possible? So and then you realize that, you know, in the context of his inability to beat the Celtics.
Speaker 1: You just look at it a little differently because you just see how great he was.
Speaker 5: So those were those were my two favorites out of the I mean, I love doing all of them.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: I covered Wes Unseld when he was coaching the Bullets they were the Bullets then, and Revere Wes as a person.
Speaker 1: So I really enjoyed talking to his son about his.
Speaker 5: Dad, and so that all of them were wonderful to do and dig into. You know. I spent an hour and a half on the phone with Monogenobli to get his stuff to do his piece, and that was that was incredible and fun and he was great, and you know, so having a chance to talk to play the some of the contemporaries, it was great, man. I mean it's just, you know, if you love basketball like I do, to be able to really dig into it and talk to you know, pop and talk to Tony Parker and people, it was great.
Speaker 1: It was great.
Speaker 6: I think a book like this can be so valuable because of what you're mentioning. DA like Will has kind of been reduced in today's basketball fandom to the numbers, right, doctor J. We know about the swooping layup and the dunks, but there's more to the story, more to the actual.
Speaker 7: Game of it.
Speaker 6: You mentioned adding twenty five new players. Here, is there somebody you were surprised that made it into the one hundred, or somebody that was like really really tough to leave off that you were trying to get in and in the last twenty five that were added.
Speaker 5: You know, it's funny, guys, I, John and I and Rob we kind of I mean, I wouldn't say we picked them, but we were kind of again shepherding the process of adding twenty five. And it wasn't as contentious I think as you may think, like we had, Like John felt very strongly. I don't think this is a secret. John felt very strongly that Jimmy Butler should be in. And we talked about it for a while. You know, we we went over it and when John made his points, you know, we we.
Speaker 1: Went okay, yeah, that makes sense. What you're saying makes sense. I felt very strongly Dave.
Speaker 5: Bing should be in the hundred, you know, because of his if you look at he was second in the MVP voting a couple of times. You know, he was a terrific guard for the Pistons for a decade, and because he didn't win a championship or make a final, a lot of people have forgotten about him.
Speaker 1: But you know, when I made my case, they said, yeah, that's a good point, you know.
Speaker 5: So it wasn't that bad there, you know, I would say, and again, I don't think it's you know, I don't think it's a secret. I hope it's not. You know, Klay Thompson is not in the hundred. Was he close?
Speaker 1: It was real close, real real close, you know, And we talked about it, and we hashed it out and we.
Speaker 5: You know, and what it came down to is somebody's got to be one hundred, and somebody is going to be one on one. It doesn't mean one on one's a bad player. It means we had to pick somebody to be a hundred.
Speaker 1: So we did.
Speaker 5: And that's and and so other than that, there were a couple other guys, but for the most part. It wasn't It wasn't that contentious, like we really came to it. I respect John a great deal for what he's done in terms of advanced numbers and really thinking about the game in a different way. And I think he respects me because I'm old and things, and.
Speaker 1: We both respect Robin great deal.
Speaker 5: So you know, we were able to kind of figure it out between the three of us.
Speaker 2: So this book does go Magic at number five, Bill Russell number four, Kareem at number three, and then Lebron at number two, and Michael Jordan at number one. I've heard you talking a lot about MJ is your goat, DA, but is there a case to be made for Lebron or Kareem or somebody else to be the goat? And I guess in Lebron's case, does can he still even get over the hump? Or is that going to be to you MJ's fiver.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: No, I've said this many times, guy. I mean, Lebron's got a case. It's not like he doesn't have a case.
Speaker 1: He's got a case. Like it's a legit case too.
Speaker 5: I mean, the the all time scoring record aside, which is its own thing, right and should and has value. But just his look, he was in was it nine straight finals? You know, that's that's that's Russell territory, right, Like, I mean, that doesn't happen all you know that people don't do that, Like the greatest players in the game, Hey bird Magic didn't weren't in nine straight finals. Michael Jordan went in nine straight finals. So he gets he gets props for that, so and and his passing and his leadership and all of those things.
Speaker 1: So he's got a case. Kareem's got a case.
Speaker 5: You know, Like I said this many times, Kareem had one career three pointer one, So that makes he scored thirty eight thousand points off of two's basically, and he scored the majority of those thirty eight thousand points off.
Speaker 1: Of one move.
Speaker 5: You know, you have one shot, one thing that he did with the basketball to score and everybody knowed who was going to do and they couldn't stop it.
Speaker 1: You know, So that he's got a case.
Speaker 5: He's got six MVPs. Nobody else, including Michael Jordan, has six m vps and he won five championships.
Speaker 1: He's got a case, right, Bill Russell won eleven. He's got a case. Okay, like so so, but you have to.
Speaker 5: Again, you have to pick somebody, and that's that's where we approached it, and in the end, I think we all kind of agreed again without much rancor, that Michael's the best.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I've heard you say before. If Michael Jordan were five to six instead of six to six, he'd be the greatest serial killer in a Yeah, because he's psychotic. And I love that line and it feels like that goes with reverence.
Speaker 1: I say that because he was. He's crazy in the good way.
Speaker 5: He was so driven to win, and not just to win, but to dominate, you know, like he wanted to destroy you. And there's Kobe's the only other person that falls in that category to me, Like Kobe channeled Michael in a lot of ways, and that was the biggest way was that Kobe wanted to embarrass you out there, like he wanted he didn't. He wanted you to stop competing, you know, And Michael was like that. And so I don't think Lebron's like that. I don't think Kareem's like that. And it doesn't make them not great players. There are great players. But what separates Jordan to me from the rest is that will. Yeah, you know that that desire to dominate and that desire to bury people that you know that we're trying to compete and win championships against him, and again he beat everybody.
Speaker 1: Guys like he's you know, we beat them all.
Speaker 5: You know, he'd beat Patrick Ewing, he'd beat Caarmelone, he'd be John Stockton, he'd be you know, all the great players of Charles Barkley, beat him all, all of them. You know, he eventually beat Isaiah Thomas, who had beaten him. To be fair and honest to Isaiah the first few years that they competed. But at the end, Mike, once Michael started winning, once they won one, they never were beaten by anybody.
Speaker 1: And that's all I can go by.
Speaker 5: DA.
Speaker 6: What do you make of Lebron's slow start to the season. It kind of feels like maybe the first time people are even considering that Father time might be catching up here.
Speaker 5: I mean I don't think I Yes, of course Father times catching up with him, but that's not.
Speaker 1: What I see. I mean, is he slower? Is he less efficient?
Speaker 5: Yes, of course he is, but that doesn't mean he still not a really effective player. I just don't you know, they just don't have enough around him. The three through six isn't getting the job done. And AD's not shooting the ball well right now, and so when AD's off and they're running a lot of stuff through Ad, they struggle, you know.
Speaker 1: And so he'll play better, he's a great player, he'll play better.
Speaker 5: But when AD's not having a good night and needs somebody to pick him up, those guys aren't picking them up nearly well enough. And that's you know, that doesn't mean they can't. That doesn't mean that Reeves can't, that doesn't mean that Dalton Connect can't. But they haven't done it enough or consistently enough, and so you know, you know, they're in a bad stretch right now. Is it four games they lost by twenty five last week last week or so? I mean, it's a bad stretch. But you guys know this. Every team goes through one of these a year where you just something's funky, whether it's lineups or somebody's just not carrying their weight or whatever it is.
Speaker 1: Teams go through this.
Speaker 5: I think the Lakers will straighten themselves out, but I don't think they're like a championship contender with the team that they have just because you know, you know, when you get to the playoffs, teams take stuff away and they make other people beat them, other than the best players. And I need to see those guys play at that level where you can say, all right, if they double team AD and we kicked the ball week's side, that guy's burying it.
Speaker 1: He's going six to eight on threes and we'll go win the game. And I haven't seen that yet.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Back to the book here and actually talking about current players. Lebron is the only player in the book currently playing that's in the top ten obviously number two. Is there any of the other current I think eighteen players in the book that you think are capable of like getting into the top ten all time? So that means probably bumping out a Kobe or a Larry Bird or something like that. Who has the best chance you think of current players?
Speaker 1: Well, look, I think you know Steph's right right right there. He's at twelve I think in the book.
Speaker 5: So I mean, you know, if they went on on some kind of amazing run and got back to another finals, and even if they don't, I mean you can make a case for Steph certainly because of his impact on the game. He changed basketball at all levels to the shooting like the game's different after he played than it was before, where the geometry of the floor has changed forever because of Steph Curry, because of his ability to shoot not just threes, but shoot thirty footers with ease and make it impossible for defenses to be able to guard in that kind of space. You just can't get there where he's at. And now other players have emulated that, and now there's a lot of players who can make those threes. So you can make a case for him. You can make a case for Jokic. I mean, if they you know they have it's going to be I think hard.
Speaker 1: For them to make a finals again with the current team that they have.
Speaker 5: But if they were to add another piece or two and get back to that form and he won another championship or two, I mean he's he's certainly I think the leader right now for MVP, right, and so that's.
Speaker 2: Four if he wins again.
Speaker 5: You know, when you went for MVPs, you got a case for top you know, greatest players of all time, right, So he's in there. Maybe Luca, you know, Luca could certainly make a movement in that direction before it's all said and done. But I would I would say, right now, those three of the ones that jump to mine.
Speaker 4: You mentioned the eighteen active players that we're talking about here. Charles Barkley wrote the forward to this BOK and he mentioned himself there are eighteen active players. He goes on about his Genobilee Classic Genobilee line. It wouldn't be we wouldn't be doing our job as a sports podcast unless we made fun of Charles Barkley's. My question is, did Charles actually read this book?
Speaker 3: You think?
Speaker 1: Excellent question. I hope they ask him that on inside.
Speaker 5: He did write it though, because you know, I know because I asked him to and he was very gracious and did it and we were able to get his words in it. I hope they you know, I would love for them to plug the book on inside.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean right.
Speaker 1: But did he read all of it?
Speaker 4: I sincerely doubt head All probably refuses to read the Shack chapter.
Speaker 1: He's a skimmer.
Speaker 4: I'm guessing he literally wrote that I didn't read the Shack chapter.
Speaker 1: Uh D.
Speaker 2: Before we let you go, I'm curious who the who is the most underrated player in history to you and whether they're in the book or not.
Speaker 5: Yeah, wow, that's it. I mean, that's a really good and tough question. The most underrated player in league history? I mean, you know, I think I always say Isiah doesn't get his due because he got kind of overshit.
Speaker 1: He was in the era.
Speaker 5: He was a winner in an era of winners and kind of ultimate winners, you know, like.
Speaker 1: Bird and Magic.
Speaker 5: They all won more, They won more championships, Michael won more champion but Isaiah being a point guard winning two championships and being leading the Pistons for you know, twelve years of excellence basically is underrated, I think. But you know, I also think of it like Brick Barry was a great player. Guys, like it was great. He was a terrific player for a long time and came up you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's interesting.
Speaker 5: If he had played in the ABA, he might have put up better numbers and maybe be more highly regarded. But the fact that he kind of decided not he I think he only played one year in.
Speaker 1: The ABA and then went back went to the NBA. But he could have put up.
Speaker 5: Monster numbers in the ABA with his ability to score. So that's another kind of guy. You know, I did the chapter I did the piece of Moses Malone, and Moses was, you know, very unsexy. He just went up and got rebounds and drew. And people don't think that that's exciting. I get it, I get it, I understand. But you know, he was really effective at it, won three MVPs and was a great, great leader on all the teams he was on. So players like that I always think are kind of underrated just because they're they're not remembered as much.
Speaker 1: And then you know, I would end that with Oscar Robertson, you know, like I was.
Speaker 5: I was honored to speak with Oscar on the phone for his for a piece I did on him at All Star last year because it was in Indianapolis and he's from Indianapolis. And you just, again, you talk to players who played against them and they just go, you guys don't understand how great he was.
Speaker 1: You just don't know.
Speaker 5: And so players like that that are kind of forgotten in this era.
Speaker 1: I always like to try to resurrect and kind of give them their flowers.
Speaker 2: That's fantastic. Well, this book is awesome. I'm making my way through it. I've read all your chapters, DA, but I got a lot of guys to go, but really highly recommend again for any basketball in your life for the holiday season. I would pick this up because, like you move quickly. It is a chunky book. There's a lot of words, but you know each chapter on each guy. It's it's it's digestible. You can make it through it. So congrats on the book. DA, really appreciate you jumping on with us. And happy holidays, man.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 5: Happy holidays to you you guys too, And we want you to put the book down like we don't expect anybody.
Speaker 2: To hurt your wrists if you don't put it.
Speaker 1: That's the whole.
Speaker 5: Point is you read a chapter, you put the book down, you get a sandwich, you pick up another chapter, you put down.
Speaker 1: The folk call that's what it's supposed to do.
Speaker 2: That's awesome, DA, thanks a lot, man. We'll talk to you soon.
Speaker 1: Thanks guys.
Speaker 2: All right, David Aldridge the Basketball one hundred DA, John Hollinger and a whole bunch of writers at the Athletic chipping in and helping that. That's great. All right, let's get into some of last night's games. Not the sexiest night in the NBA. But task the Hawks, dare I say, Coca, they are cooking right now. The Hawks won. They're fifth straight stopping the Bucks winning and they won one nineteen one oh four. What jumped out to you to Atlanta continuing this great run here?
Speaker 4: Well, the Bucks started off well in this game. They got up double digits. Rob's gonna call them Robin Lopez. I'm thinking of old old basketball players now Brook Lopez falling out of bounds, thrown it in. They looked great to start, but then the Hawks bench came out of there and did an incredible job. And we're working so hard around DeAndre Hunter and working hard around Bogdan Bogdanovic and working hard around and Neko and Kwangwu who as they pushed it to the backboard. On Kongwu just because they were out pushing the Bucks was just able to catch rebounds and just throw it down. They were just out working the Bucks over and over in that first quarter. Of the last six minutes, they won by twelve points, and it kept going in the second court, and it was just a shame to see the Bucks come out of the timeout playing zone defense and Gary Trent Junior not getting to his quadrant and he just having an open three point shot from Zachary resa Che who came out of the Stars and joined the bench, and HD wide open three. I mean after that bogged down Bogdanovic was awesome in that second quarter. You have thirteen points in that second quarter alone. The Hawks are deep and they're playing deep, and the Bucks just kind of fell off, and you could see, like when the starters came back for the Hawks, they kept it up. Look, Jalen Johnson was getting dunk after dunk after dunk because they were just taking it harder to the rim, and the Bucks were just a little flat footed because they had one seven straight and I think they were just a little a little slowut there. So Jalen Johnson was out there throwing down dunks. His dad was in the crowd in Milwaukee. He jumped up when he saw a dunk, and I think his mom was there too, and his mom missed one. So you could read Jalen Johnson's dad's lips saying you missed that, you missed that. Oh yeah, great, great stuff. So that it was very funny. But the fact is the Bucks they were just outpaced. You saw you We'll go through a lot of these games. A lot of the benches made differences last night and this one. That's what it was. And you know, I think the Bucks just can't win eight games in a row.
Speaker 3: That was part of it. That was part of it. They just kind of laid a bit of an egg.
Speaker 2: But the Hawk's here tray of again got the winning streak to five. They beat the Calves in back to back games, one of those A Cup games, then they beat the Hornets on the road, then they took care of the Pelicans, and then yeah, to go into Milwaukee, who Yeah, maybe they took the foot off their gas a little bit, but still a great team the way they've been playing and get it done. I think what was shocking to me is like the Hawks build a twenty point lead and actually sort of maintained it. Like we watch a lot of Hawks games, and look every NBA game for that matter, a lot of teams build leads and then they sort of give it all back. The Hawks notoriously have done that over years, but this was like pretty impressive. Yeah, Milwaukee made runs, but they always had an answer. But let's jump out to you, Atlanta.
Speaker 6: The two things that really stick out to me are number one the bench. They've got one of the five best benches in the league. I think they're third in scoring right now, and it's either Hunter, a Coongo or Bogdanovic that do it. Last night it was all three of them. Twenty for Hunter, fifteen and five assists for Bogie and then double o with thirteen and a couple of offensive rebounds definished with six boards as well, And Tess is exactly right. They were just running the Bucks out of the gym. Bobby Porters was looking slow for Milwaukee. That can happen at times, and it was just kind of go back to the Bucks of the first couple of weeks of the season where they weren't committed to transition defense. So I thought that was a big time advantage for Atlanta last night. Second thing to me is that Trey Young is committed to sharing the ball this year. Lowest usage percentage of his career, highest assist percentage of his career, highest average assists per game of his career twelve and a half assists right now, hasn't been done. Haven't had a twelve assist per game season since John Stockton in nineteen ninety five.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 6: Now, look Trey is not scoring the ball all that well this season, twenty points per game, shooting thirty percent from three, can't really finish inside floaters, not really there right now either, But it's working for the Hawks. Him actually distributing the ball. He mentioned that he probably would lead the league in potential assists as well secondary assists. The ball is actually moving with the Hawks, which hasn't always been the case during Trey Young's Atlanta tenure. He's bought in to what Quinn Snyder's preaching. Yep, the results are there right now. They are on a winning streak over the course of the season. There's still a bottom ten offense. Somehow, they need Trey Young to shoot better if they're actually going to do anything when it comes to the postseason. But they look good right now. The bench is making shots. That's huge, and Trey is doing his part getting the ball to a Jalen Johnson, to a Zach Reciochet who had a nice game as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: If I had told you, I guess over the past what three or four Hawks seasons, and I said, hey, look over the last five games, Trey Young, he's only scoring seventeen a game. He's shooting thirty eight percent from the floor, twenty one percent from three. Yeah, he's got a lot of assists, but he's actually got a lot of turnovers too. What do you think the Hawk's record is over that five deep stretch, Like, there's no way you're going five and oho you go. I don't know, maybe they eat out a win or two, like maybe two and three, one and four probably, But yeah, this is the wild part that he's sort of taking a step back offensively in terms of scoring, and everybody else is eaten and it is working or at least resulting in victories. And a big part of that as a bench and a little bit of defense. My god, it's nice to see.
Speaker 4: Yeah and him just strictly just passing more even if they're not a he's taking fear of shots as well.
Speaker 3: To add onto to trace comments about Trey that.
Speaker 2: That comments about Trey.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and he's leading. He's giving it to Jaen Johnson. Obviously. Clint Compel has been really good at the center spot. I got to eat my words. I thought this was going to be easily be the year that they trade him and move on to Kongwu, but he has been awesome. Dyson Daniels has been stupid good a lot of the time out there, obviously defensively and all that and finding Resachet over and over. The fact is Quinn Slider's got nine deep that he's going. Kobe Buffkin was really good off the bench too, helping out. I know, he's only one for five, he was a little short on one little shot two for I count it's two for five because they scored on that basket anyway, shifting to him basically, but listen, the fact is he's just getting everybody else involved and saying, I don't have to be a superstar. He really is trying to get everybody involved in guys resache. I know. So it'll fly under the radar how good he is. But he's good from quarter to quarter to quarter, like he doesn't have to do too much. He's hits his threes, had a beautiful dunk scored underneath on a pretty shot like. We can go on and on about the depth of the Atlanta Hawks, which kind of surprising to say that here, you know, six weeks into the season, but they are good.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Hawks had a thirty to twelve advantage in fast break points. They rebounded the Bucks significantly, as you said, huge difference in points in the paint. It was like really good stuff from Atlanta. Just don't get too excited. We've done this before. We need to pump the brakes, is all I'm saying, because you get burned when you start getting convinced. Oh yeah, the Hawks are ready to roll here. But this is good. This is a good stretch here for the guys. Okay, let's talk about the Lakers struggling. Obviously addressed a little bit with Da Tyler. Hero scored thirty one, caught fire in the third quarter tray, and the Heat crushed Lebron and the Lakers one thirty four to ninety three. The Miami Heat putting up one thirty four. That's how bad the defense is for Lakers. But yeah, already want to start with the good of the Heat or the bad of the Lakers?
Speaker 6: Ah, great question. This is a big vibes game, like the Heat of Ben struggling. Obviously the Lakers struggling as well. Both teams needed the win. It really felt like. But there's two L's in Los Angeles Lakers. Wait a second, there is a lot more ls than two. But they got another one last night. I heard on the broadcast, Eric Reid goes, this Laker defense needs a reality check.
Speaker 3: Eric Rudi was calling him out.
Speaker 6: He was calling him out, and he was one hundred percent right. This was a disgusting effort from your Los Angeles Lakers. That's why everybody postgame said, this is embarrassing that we're all embarrassed. They gave up twenty four threes to the Miami Heat, who can have hot shooting nights for sure. Also, twenty four fast break points. How many of them were wide open, literally nobody else on the other side of the court, with Jimmy Butler taking a layup underneath out running everybody on the Lakers fifty two points in the paint as well for Miami. There were just so many wide open shots. It felt like Anthony Davis was shrugging his shoulders or throwing his hands up all night long. It looked like the Lakers, I don't know, maybe they were trying a new defensive strategy or something. JJ mentioned that they hadn't had a lot of practice time and that they hadn't implemented the game plan, and it looked like they didn't know what they were doing. Because if there was two passes on a possession. It was a wide open heat shot.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Anthony Davis does have a lot on his shoulders on this team, especially with this perimeter that they're playing now with dangel O, Russell and Dalton Connect because Austin Reeves is out and I know, we know, we don't think Austin Reeves is a great defender, but at least they know what they're doing out there. And as Anthony Davis really has it like five guys coming at him over and over and he he's not receiving a lot of the criticism. It's all been about Lebron in the last couple of games, but Ady is just flat as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, both times and both.
Speaker 4: These these these games where he's got run out of the gym a couple of times. But again, the perimeter defense isn't stopping anybody. So there is a lot on his shoulders with the lineups that they have out there. So JJ Reddick I think has to make it a quick decision here to go back to Cam Reddish, I think is a good possibility over Adult and Connect. As much as they want that offense to work with Connect, you really just need every perimeter player out there. Eric Reid said, gave Vincent was good. Eric said, gave Vincent was Heat culture.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Big Biga had.
Speaker 6: One nice playoff run as a Miami Heat got for eleven last night.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I did not play well, but two good possessions coming out of his first possession for his first run off the bench.
Speaker 3: And Eric just loves him more than I do.
Speaker 4: Oh ga, a couple of good possessions there. Yeah, and even the color analysts said, yeah, gay Vincent. I loved him when he was here, so did I.
Speaker 3: Then he got hurt. He's trying out there.
Speaker 2: But he That's a trend with a lot of Miami Heat players. Yeah, there are awesome of the dogs when they're heap players and then they go somewhere else and struggle.
Speaker 3: But he got hurt.
Speaker 2: Anyways, Yeah, following this forty one point drubbing the Lakers, I guess key players were taking some ownership. I want to read some of the quotes you sort of touched on it their TK Reddick said quote, we're all embarrassed. It's not a game that I thought we had the right fight, the right professionalism. Lebron says, It's not on the coaches, it's definitely on us.
Speaker 1: For sure.
Speaker 2: AD said the schemes are on point, but we just got to go out and do it and execute them. But I just got to step up for the team. I mean, that's the trifecta there of postgame quotes. When you're really struggling or embarrassed, it's not on the coaches, it's on us. I got to play better. Wow, check check check. But man, at this point, I think really with this team because the defense is so bad, it's affecting AD. What I see, having played basketball for a long time and watched a bunch of NBA basketball, that's a guy, a center that's like, well, if nobody else is going to play defense, then I'm not. Yeah, because he's frustrated. I brought it up against the Wolves the other night when he's like, is anybody gonna help me on the glass here? He's like visibly pointing at guys and saying, I got two down here.
Speaker 4: Help.
Speaker 2: He's a little frustrated with nobody's ability to stop anyone, and he obviously has. He generally can keep a fairly all a defense. I mean, he's that good, but even he's a little checked out, and then it sort of has spilled into his offensive game where you just can't shoot right now. But it's bad. And if Adie and Lebron don't play like top tier guys, the roster isn't good enough. I don't care how many game instance or can't redish, it's not they have to be top ten guys, which they have been at times. Because the defense is bottom of the barrel. They don't stop anybody and there's no effort.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they ain't trying. As I mentioned the D'Angel Russell the connect and Lebron you could see him as well. It was extremely slow. Beside Anthony Davis, no one was getting back. You literally just have to watch the game from the wide camera angled and just see this Heat team was beating them down the court over and over and over again. You could easily do a sports science of the distance that they beat the Lakers down the floor every single time.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's that's what Eric.
Speaker 4: This is the heat. Yeah, yeah, the heat got too good flow Bam. Did you know we've we've been talking about Bam because he was being guarded by Anthony Davis, and Anthony Davis was giving him the room in the mid range to do his thing, and Bam started to find his flow and then started to dunk balls afterwards because he got into a great spirit. And same with Tyler Hero. He was awesome in that third quarter because he got into a good spirit. But Ad and everybody else, is it a bad flow? Like he ad twelve on Monday, just twelve points his season low, and then he followed by another season low with eight in this game. I mean, you look at the numbers last eight games, they're two and six. Their average margin of defeat or that span is twenty two points. Yeah, four. Their six losses have been by twenty plus. I mean, that's just effort.
Speaker 6: So you mentioned yesterday that Nikola jokicch is the guy who always has to build the Tetris tower again. Sure, Anthony Davis is the guy whose kids knocked over the Tetris tower five times in a row.
Speaker 7: He's like, I'm not doing it again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you build it. Yes, that's what it feels like to me watching. I agree. Now, the Lakers conclude this little road trip here in Atlanta on Fridays. They are and Reddick has said he plans on meeting with the players, including some individually, yes, and the coaching staff to try and figure out a way out of this slump outside of a trade. I'm not really seeing away out of the slump, if I have to be honest, just the makeup of the team defensively, the Austin Reeves. You're right, he's not great defender, but at least a little scrappy and you know what you're gonna get from him offensively. So they're missing him. But Jared Vanderbilt's not coming back anytime soon. It's like the update's like another month or so, Like, yeah, it's you do wonder if a trade is coming and what that is. And I think I am suddenly seeing the brandon ingram whispers he wants to go to a winning situation. Is this a winning situation better than the Pelicans?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So look, and I don't think he solves your defensive issues, but we'll see.
Speaker 6: Here's something i'd be curious about. Preseason, JJ was talking about limbo rate. Remember we're not crashing the offensive glass, but we're also not getting back.
Speaker 7: On transition defense.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the Lakers are twenty third in offensive rebound right, and they're a terrible transition defense team. So I'd be curious about that. Limbo Ray, Limbo, where are they in Limbo.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 6: We also were talking about if the Heat would have an All Star this season, it would be Tyler.
Speaker 7: He's on fire. Yeah, like in the great season.
Speaker 2: He's having like Anthony Edwards like numbers. Yeah right, in terms of the shooting the.
Speaker 6: Three twenty four per game, forty six from to forty six percent from the field, forty two from three, and he's like their go to guy in fourth quarters.
Speaker 2: It feels like, yeah, so good win from the Heat there especially. Yeah, that's third quarter hero, catch it fire, hit seven straight, didn't he deep? Yeah? But bad, bad loss for Lakers. Another team struggling, the Pacers lose again, especially on the road where they have a brutal record. Cam Johnson, though scored twenty six as the Nets beat. The Nets beat the Pacers ninety nine to ninety. They ended their little losing streak Brooklyn did. But what's wrong with Indiana here? So the Pacers just broken and what's going on with them?
Speaker 3: It is unfortunate.
Speaker 4: The prior game, Tyres Salburn calls out his team and then the next game they don't out with enough. Now, they started okay, but then they got buried by the Nets bench. They seriously did. It was a huge difference. I think it was got up to twenty one. Now the Pacers did fight back, but the Nets, who don't have a ton of depth, showed out in this game. I think this was Ben Simmons' best game of his season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, he was.
Speaker 4: He came back with a recovery block on the perimeter.
Speaker 7: What he got a postgame interview. He made a free throw in the fourth quarter.
Speaker 3: He had an alley oope.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he started the run that alley open.
Speaker 3: He was sort of just standing there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and the Duncans Duncans fot and he said, hey, right here, I'm wide open because this Pacers team ain't garden to anybody. And then he just threw it down. But him and Keon Johnson helping out. I mean, I think everybody on this team was really getting after it more so than the Pacers, and that was obviously a huge problem in this game. And again I bring up the tyres Helbert and thinking there wasn't enough effort on their side. Period. Yeah. I don't want to just you know, scheme over it and say that's what it was, but a big part of it was just strictly effort in that locker room.
Speaker 2: What do you think here with India?
Speaker 7: Usually it's the defense.
Speaker 6: It's the problem with Indiana, and I actually think it was late in this game. It was a tie game, eighty to eighty with eight minutes left, the Nets went on a ten to zero run and it was three layups and four free throws that were fouls that would have been layouts had.
Speaker 7: They taken them. It was just easy for the Nets to.
Speaker 6: Grab the ball in the fourth quarter of a tight game and run it down the court and get to the hoop. Some of that is Indiana's defensive game plan, not necessarily the transition stuff, but they want to limit three pointers, so they're going to get way out on the wings and give up shots inside. But it's not working because their offense is completely discombobulated. What kind of team are the Pacers offensively? They're not a running team anymore? Are they a Siacam half court team? Because we saw that with Toronto they weren't a great offense when he was the number one guy. It just doesn't seem like they know how they're going about scoring this year. And this is a team that's not going to play defense, so they need to be great offensively and they haven't been great offensively.
Speaker 7: It's like they don't know who their number one guy is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they used to be before the Siakam trade, a pretty heavy like pick and pop, pick and roll Haliburton Miles Turner team. Then things changed a little bit with Siakam, but obviously the pace was still there and they unlocked something. But yeah, this year, it's bad, embarrassing first half from Indy. They shot thirteen to thirty nine from the field in this game, four of eighteen from deep and then they also turned the ball over twelve times. But then just as bad was when this game was tied. You said it. You guys went through it.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: Simmons gets the oop, easy oop with like seven and a half to go, and then it was a layup line for the nets. Jalen Wilson drove by Halliburton for a layup. About a minute later, Wilson blows by Halliburton in like sort of semi transition. A minute later, shake Milton, nice steel. He finishes the layup on the fast break, some good old Mattador defense from Halliburton. So yeah, look, and that's not his thing. He's not locked down a Fender. But that's what's bad because then it was like offensive rebounds, like a tip in from Sharp, then another one that Wilson grabbed and scored like then Shrewder blew by. I guess it was Mathron. That one at the end the sort of ice the game. So after the Ben Simmons dunk, it was like, I mean, besides free throws, it was like five layups and two tippins or something like that. Brutal, like, especially for a team that's like, we need a win, we need to stop the bleeding here, and they did it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, for halburn to call them out the previous game and to not get into their fast pace selves, which is gone this season. That's that's the odd thing that they weren't into their their pass mode with what they did so well last year was just passed overpass, be the number one passing team and they just lost that. And that's the weird thing. And yeah, calling out Haliburton and not you know, air quotes leading the team like he seemingly did last season, it is the right thing to do.
Speaker 3: I think that's that's what's hurt them.
Speaker 4: Offensively. They just ain't that same team that runs out and tries to kill you with their passing. I mean, that's what made them so good, that's what made it hard to play them every single night. And then I bring up the bench of the Nets bench with Ben Simmons shake, Milton was awesome off the bench and Dyron sharp like all three of those guys, and along with Trendon Wofford, they just kicked the Pacers ass. And then usually usually that's the TJ. McConnell led bunch from the Pacers that do a good job with that. But they got smacked. Everybody got smacked. There's something going on with that locker room. You think so, well, right, I mean, they're not being lead. I mean I don't think they hate each other, but they're not. They're not They're not a good ball team, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: The other games last night, we had the Celtics with standing a three points spree there to beat the Pistons one thirty twenty. The Wolves cruise to the one o eight eighty victory over the Clippers. I don't know if you guys saw the score early in this game. It was quite a deficit early. Then not need to stay up for that one. There was no second half comeback, and then Wagner and Suggs. Franz Wagner I got to point out his brother is on the team, and Suggs powered the Magic to the one oh six one oh two win over the shorthanded seventy six ers. Uh no Embid, no Paul George, no Lowry, no Drummond. I think I've named the guys. But any of those three games, TK jumped out to you.
Speaker 6: I thought a nice win for the Magic to actually hang on a little closer than it probably should be. Jalen Brown had a really nice dunk and he's gonna be getting fined. I don't think he can do the throat sway, Yeah.
Speaker 7: Sure after it.
Speaker 6: That was a ferocious one as well, staring down beef stew That.
Speaker 7: Was a great dunk.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah he I think he even like not apologized. He's like, yeah, I'm probably gonna get fine of got caught up in the heat of the moment. And I think Dwayne Wade once got fined twenty five K for doing that. I think when he was on the bulls, I want to say, yeah, yeah, I think so he probably will get fine for slashing the throat.
Speaker 4: What a change up he went from the monstros dunk putting the seatbelt on to cutting the throat. That's h It was a weird one. Yeah, that's getting fine. Yeah, there's no doubt about that. And that's why that's why the referee asked him about the seat belt celebration. What are you doing? Should we find you? What is what is this? Exactly? Because you can't do certain things and I think, yeah, slashing a throat is one of them.
Speaker 2: Do you think he can try and say no, I was putting the seatbelt across my neck like extra safety, sir, sure, no, yeah, he's probably break yeah exactly. I'm with you about the Magic win. I know it's against again the Shorthand Sixers, but that that showed me something to make up of this Magic team because they are coming off or they rebounded from a bad loss the night prior to the Knicks there or their last game. I should say, that's what good teams do, right, you have a loss, or they got embarrassed. I mean, I know they made it respectable and did the old point differential to still make it to the knockout round, but they came back and got this victory and it was tied after three quarters. And then they went on a nice little run and took care of business. I just I was like, Okay, that's that's to me when you're like, oh, you're a legit really good team. They've won thirteen of their last fifteen. They're third in the East. And Fogner was a monster again thirty five points. And Suggs was the one hitting three pointers from them last night. They only hit eight three pointers as a team. He hit four of them and they won this game in twenty twenty four. Sort Of tough to do. But a big part of that is you know their defense is good enough.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Davis Coldwell Pope makes a big difference on that team. He had a steel, got in the passing Lady has steel on a fast break for the seventy seconds where he just got in there and stole. He had a steal when he was helping out as the low man doing all those things. That's what a team does if you want to show up at big time. The offense definitely questionable. How they don't have a lot of guys shooting three? Is Anthony Black coming through with the new braids and also just slashing to the hoop and then when you got Franz Vagner.
Speaker 3: He's a different guy now.
Speaker 4: When he gets a little bit of a runway down the lane, he gets pick set for him. He's so good at whether or not he's got to put a shoulder in somebody. He just looks like a very different player. He's so much more confident when he gets the ball coming down. He dunked on Gerschean Jebusale, big time dunk. So they've they've got everything going on for them. Lots of good stuff there on that side.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and TK said, if the Heat do get an All Star representative, it'll be Hero and I don't think there's any question at this point the other FLOORIDA team, it's Franz Wagner as a Dare I say a lock? It feels like to be an All Star with the numbers he's putting up, especially with Polo.
Speaker 3: Out, Yeah exactly.
Speaker 6: I mean Plo has been out for what fifteen games almost at this point, so it's definitely going to be Franz. They did the same thing similar last year, right they started fourteen and five, they had a nine game winning streak at the end of November into December, they got one All Star. Probably the case again this year. It would be Franz, since he's been the man once Polo went down. The interesting thing is going to be seeing if they can get efficient play from Palo and from Franz when they're both on the court together, because Polo soaks up a ton of possessions. Not always the most efficient guy, though he has been when he was on the court early this season. Fran's the same, great player, usually more efficient than Paulo, especially when's shooting the ball like he has been this season. When they're actually on the court together, both trying to have thirty percent usage rates. What happens? Who cares good problem to have? Look at the Celtics and they took him forever to figure it out.
Speaker 7: True, they did.
Speaker 2: True, it's a good point.
Speaker 4: Any other Yeah, yeah, One thing that I need to note. I can't believe it, but the palming violation is back. Yes, they are back. I thought palming was dead because players can kind of sort of put their hand underneath the ball and then get away with it because it's not quite underneath the ball. It's not called until Franz Wagner was called two nights in a row. Franz Wagner guilty both times and the cherry on top.
Speaker 3: John Moran also called for palming. Maybe NBA Cup.
Speaker 4: Games are called a little bit tighter because the palming violation is back.
Speaker 2: I do remember that Ja Moran one the other night. Yeah, look they are, they are doing it. They are palming it. But watch Trey Young, watch it. Basically, watch any lead point guards that has the ball in their hands. A lot, there's a lot of like yeah, just like look, yeah, sure, call.
Speaker 6: It shocking when they're actually calling what I remember, like when the the NBA basically made Jordan Pool into a terrible player.
Speaker 7: They started violations and it was over for him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, all right, Any other notes on any of those games, probably not a lot. With the Wolves Clippers game.
Speaker 4: Hey, Franz Wagner twice violation minnesot timber Wolves twice held l A teams to eighty points. Yes, sure, that's not bad. That's that's well done for them. They feel like they sort of look like the defense from last year Rudy Gobert five steals. What Rudy Gobert doing that thing? Like he looks like he's back. They look like they're having fun a little bit. And they have such a tough schedule to close out twenty twenty four, so it ain't going to be easy for them. But this is it right here, right now. You go to Golden State to play two games Lakers, Spurs, Nicks, Warriors, Hawks. That's the easiest one. Mavericks, Rockets, Spurs, Thunder Celtics to open. That's tough, dude, that is tough.
Speaker 7: It's ridiculous.
Speaker 6: They're playing California teams for like three weeks Spree, Kings, Clippers, Lakers, Clippers, Warriors, Warriors, Lakers.
Speaker 2: Wow. Yeah's at least two colf weeks there for sure. And just to give you the numbers from that Celtics game, I said three point spree. It really was, so I was probably downplaying it. The Pistons went twenty for thirty nine from deep. Not bad. That's a damn good percentage fifty one percent, and the Celtics are like, ah, well, we're going to take more and hit one more than you. They went twenty one for fifty three, so not as greate as percentage, but got a little bit more up there. So that's nearly forty percent. So that's all you saw. You saw forty one three pointers. If you went out to watch the Pistons Celtics game last night, which we saw our guy chieve was that eating a horizontal pizza as he called.
Speaker 6: It, Like he emailed it about this horizontal pizza a month ago, Like what are you talking about?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 7: Then I saw that horizontal pizza unbelievably lost.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was like it went across two people.
Speaker 6: Yeah, absolutely, So from crust the point, Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 7: A lot of pizzas are measured, of.
Speaker 2: Course, a crust the point for sure. Okay, let's get to the Pickham for tonight tasks. Just to give everybody the standings. I remained perfect. I'm bouncing back from that pumpkin pie payoff that I lost November. I'm three and Ozero and the rest of you guys are one and two, So you guys are tied right now.
Speaker 4: The buck Well. Last night was painful and I just want to complain here for a sec because Orlando was favored by three and a half in Philadelphia. The game was a three point lead for Orlando. Five seconds left, Tyrese Maxi goes into the three point line and he was fouled by Anthony Black, who was trying to foul him because it was determined that in their huddle. Maybe we want to send the guy to the line for two shots instead of watching for three. But the referees didn't call it because it was done very very quickly, and Tyers Maxy just chucked it. Yeah, but he was hit. Anyways, I did it to myself, and that's what really hurts. So you do it to yourself, you do, and that's what really hurts.
Speaker 2: Because you said they're up three and then I guess they fouled then too. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, then they went to the free throw and they made it five points. But I knew Orlando going into Philadelphia three and a half point. I knew Philly didn't have Paul George there or unlikely to have Joel Embiid. I just thought it was too stupid a line. But nobody bets Orlando. I guess this is what's happening.
Speaker 7: Not enough radio head lyrics.
Speaker 4: Yes, I did.
Speaker 7: Unbelievable.
Speaker 3: Uh what a paranoid android. Sometimes I forget who sings it, so thanks for reminding me. Anyway.
Speaker 4: Anyway, it was great tonight. Spurs are hosting the Bulls and they're two and a half point favorites. We all feel comfortable, other than Trey that the Spurs are going to do it. And you know, when I see this close line, I say, well, Trey is gonna want Well.
Speaker 2: I almost went with TK on this, so I got I was torn. This is a yeah, this is.
Speaker 3: A good one, good line.
Speaker 2: Hey, they're good at this. I went back and forth. I can see the Bulls, you know, pulling this off. But Spurs the scrappy bunch. I don't know.
Speaker 4: So for Esh Skeets or myself to get the W, the Spurs have to win by three or more. Well, Trey, how are you feeling about your Bulls pick?
Speaker 7: Well, here's the thing.
Speaker 6: This is an interesting spot for the Bulls to be in because they would lose their pick to the Spurs depending on where it ends in the draft order. So it actually behooves the Bulls to lose this game, so.
Speaker 7: They'll probably win.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Wow, I like the thinking. Okay, okay, computer, all right, So that's tonight's game. Bowl Spurs Spurs favored by two and a half. Big thanks to Hall of Famer David Aldridge for jumping on with us morning. I thought that was a really fun conversation. Again, I highly encourage you to go check out the Basketball one hundred That link is in the show notes. It'll take you right to I guess the publisher's page. That'll take you to wherever you want to buy that thing. So go check that out. I'm loving the book so far. If you're a Survivor fan, join us over at Nobuffs at one pm Eastern. We're talking about Operation Italy. That's right, what an at? What an episode? One of the greatest episodes of the New Era. People are saying, So we're gonna have a lot of fun TKJD, Nora and myself breaking that down again. That's around one pm Eastern. That link for No Buffs at least YouTube pages also in the show notes. So come, hey there, it is good.
Speaker 6: That horizontal pizza. They're barely even squishing together to get close. Yeah, that's how big that pizza that is. That's that's crazy. You think we're talking eighteen inches across the tip there?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, for and a half.
Speaker 4: Yeah, wow, there's a monster.
Speaker 3: Sous Pizza is a month.
Speaker 2: That's a fascinating thing, like to sell at an arena when you think about it, because we were like talking about food that's easier to eat in your seat and carry and stuff like pizza genuinely pretty easy, but then you're making it a little difficult.
Speaker 7: That one, specifically.
Speaker 1: Saying how do you go.
Speaker 2: About eating that?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 7: All right, we need another follow up.
Speaker 6: Jeams show us a video of how you eat this pizza?
Speaker 4: He's fulling it in a half right, like a New York pizza.
Speaker 2: Maybe rolling up like a yeah all right. Well, we'll be back tomorrow to talk about all the games tomorrow. Wow, it's a Drop podcast. What am I talking about? Maybe Worse of the Week nominees, rapid fire Fun. We'll actually do some fun awards on tomorrow's Drop podcast. So join us live at ten am Eastern or obviously download and listen to the podcast on Apple, Spotify wherever you do. Hey, shout up, everybody leaving their Spotify wraps, wraps, roll them up. A lot of no dunks, some no buffs. Little is this good? I'm seeing JD. The people are listening to the podcasts that screen. Doesn't it make it all worthwhile when you see those Spotify raps? Oh yes, yeah, yeah, good bros, you heard it here first.
Speaker 7: Have a great time. Turn up, Love you guys awesome.
Speaker 4: Thanks for joining us, and remember you will enjoy the basketball one hundred.
Speaker 3: I guarantee it.
Speaker 4: As Charles Barkley says in the forward, and as it's written here on the back, ron
Speaker 2: Tea Embrace the day people