Speaker 1: Sabrina, Who was your first pet? I don't say what I say, who who was your first pet?
Speaker 2: I had a dog.
Speaker 3: His name was Banned Nice. We got him from the pound. Okay, we went to the pound. Yeah, I finally was able to talk my dad into getting a dog and we went to the pound. His name was banned already. I don't think that would mean anything. Realized later that day how he got his name because Homie ran away from every house that he was ever atone.
Speaker 2: Oh no, so they always had him.
Speaker 3: So the pound actually named him band It because he was there all the time.
Speaker 4: Did he run away from you that day?
Speaker 3: Oh no? So we went so we got we got him a collar and everything. So they called us right away and said, yep.
Speaker 4: He's here.
Speaker 2: You think here, he's here. So that was, you know, I think I was probably seven ish.
Speaker 3: Then my dad figured out where he got out, fixed it, brought him back, and he would basically go just rummage around the neighborhood. And then he liked us, so he did end up coming back all the time. But yeah, he got one of the neighbor dogs pregnant.
Speaker 2: They had a litter like. He was just this care free dog.
Speaker 4: What a cat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my god, wow, dog just roam in the neighborhood and pregnant and stuff.
Speaker 3: I know, it was crazy, but he was the best dog. He was gorgeous. He was a Golden Retriever, like nice, blonde blonde, white white white hair, so beautiful, so sweet. I was really little, so I would even climb on his back. And you know, he was just the best, sweetest.
Speaker 2: Awesome dog.
Speaker 4: That's nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I loved it. What about you? Who was your first pet?
Speaker 4: My first pet was a Gerbil named Charcoal.
Speaker 2: A gerbil.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was unfortunately then killed by my second pet, which was a cat. Wow, So I had two cats, Bill and Arnold.
Speaker 2: Aren't Gerbils kind of baker?
Speaker 1: No, no, no, you're thinking of guinea pigs. No, Gerbils are like they're like mouse sides.
Speaker 2: Okay, oh no.
Speaker 1: It's to this day the reason why if I hear any crash or bump or anything in my house, I go in check because when I was seven or eight, I heard a crash upstairs and I was too scared to go and checks. I was home alone after school, and the crash I heard was the cat's knocking Charcoal's cage over and it opened up.
Speaker 4: And yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: So to this day, because I just assume anytime I hear a crash in the house, a Gerbil is in trouble, of course I come running.
Speaker 3: So where do you sit on the idea of having rodents slash road kills four pets?
Speaker 1: At this point, then I'm all for I don't know why I would have roadkill as pets.
Speaker 3: I mean there are already like those kinds of pets are like, they're not they're not pet pets, They're they're pets that are outside.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I had a friend who had a ferret that would it's stunk, but it was really really cuddly ferrets freak me.
Speaker 4: Out like this one would crawl into your shirt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he'd curl up and go to sleep, like he'd want to be close to your skin, so he'd curl up and go to sleep.
Speaker 4: So it was very very sweet.
Speaker 1: Yes, but for the most part, I'm a dog cat first dog, okay, dog?
Speaker 2: And do you do you and Sue have many dogs or one dog or.
Speaker 4: No, we have one dog.
Speaker 1: We have our one dog, Sammy who okay, yes, Samantha is We rescued her as well. She was actually from this amazing program called Pause for Life where she was for eight weeks. She was trained at the Lancaster Federal Prison with the prisoners. So the prisoners actually they take in a group of prisoners, take in the dogs, and they a group of dogs and they train them. And so for eight weeks she lived with the prisoners and when we got her, she was unbelievably well trained.
Speaker 4: It is in credible program.
Speaker 1: Oh it has I think the lowest recidivism rate of any program in California. So when the prisoners come out of prison, they get jobs with with canine places, they know how to train them, they work with Pause for Life.
Speaker 4: Very few of them reoffend. It is a great, great program.
Speaker 1: So if you're out there and you're a listening and you are looking for an animal, Pause for Life is an incredible program.
Speaker 2: That really is.
Speaker 4: So that's our girl, that's our same. She's my best ie.
Speaker 2: Oh my'sna miss. I got a well.
Speaker 3: I had Rocky, my miniature shitsu for a long time. I got him when I was nineteen, and then years later, when Jordan and I are together, I told him, I said, I've always wanted to get a dog and a girl dog and Namer Emily and he was so taken back by that.
Speaker 2: But it's from the movie Three Ninjas.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you ever watched that course, Sean Fox is a good friend of Rider Strongs on one of the Ninjas is one of Rider Strongs best friends from childhood.
Speaker 3: When Tubbs Tubbs the Little Brother goes, you know, is making fun of Rocky the Old Ones goes, Rocky looks em leek.
Speaker 2: Emily was his love interest.
Speaker 1: So that's what I had for So you need to name it out of dec Well, I'm guessing the one thing that our animals have in common is they they too wouldn't have liked the movie that we're going to watch today. I'm sorry, I'm not gonna want to jump ahead, but first let me say welcome back to Magical Rewind, the show that makes you want to grab your friends, your pjs and your popcorn and go back to your time and all the houses were smart, the waves.
Speaker 4: Tsunamis, and the high School's musical.
Speaker 2: I'm Wilferdale and I'm Sabrina Bryan.
Speaker 1: So let's get to the groomers because the Will is about to be read this week.
Speaker 4: We're taking nineteen ninety eight.
Speaker 1: You Lucky Dog off its leash, and oh how I wish this one might have been put down a shot right here in Los Angeles, more specifically in the San Fernando Valley's Canoga Park, over just twenty seven days, with a budget of allegedly four million dollars.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 1: The script for You Lucky Dog was discovered by the star Kirk Cameron years prior, who was already, of course, very well known for family television for his one hundred and sixty seven episode run as Mike sever on the smash hit Growing Pains, and he ended up finding the script and bringing it to Disney himself to make It first aired on June twenty seventh, nineteen ninety eight, and is technically technically the third ever official DCOM, behind just Northern Lights and Under Wraps. But this dcom and we'll get into for very good reason, is not regarded as a fan favorite. On the contrary, In a twenty sixteen Collider list of the ninety nine d coms that had been released up to this point, it was number wait for it, ninety.
Speaker 4: Nine, harsh, harsh but fair. Let's be honest, Vine but fair.
Speaker 1: Writer Aubrey Page notes, there's not a clear message here, honestly, and though it's only been a few days since I've watched this one, it already only exists in my mind under the.
Speaker 4: File Kirk Cameron eats a couch. Wow.
Speaker 1: But with that in mind, You Lucky Dog, Believe it or Not is Emmy nominated.
Speaker 4: Can you guess? For what?
Speaker 2: Nobo?
Speaker 4: Do you want to guess?
Speaker 1: The original song heard in the opening Togetherness was nominated for the Outstanding Music and Lyrics Emmy. It is from composer David Michael Frank and singer Todd Smallwood and is really just a huge attempt to rip off Brandy Newman. Also worth noting, on its six day of shooting, fifty crew members of You Lucky Dog walked off the set as a protest for union membership. Two hours later, and after some tense negotiations, filming resumed with full union status for the crew members. So hey, that's good news. Something good came out of it. The movie is currently on Disney Plus, so go watch it now before we get into it, or watch it while you're listening to us talk. But that's going to get very very confusing, so we don't suggest that you do that. Sabrina I ask this every time. Were you aware that You Lucky Dog existed before we were told about it for this podcast?
Speaker 3: No, but I think it was right in the notes that Kurt Cameron was a part of it.
Speaker 2: I loved him on Growing Pain.
Speaker 3: So I was actually super excited to watch this movie.
Speaker 4: And yeah, you know, I could.
Speaker 3: I it was. It was a rough one for me to get through. I kind of dazed out quite a bit. My Sabrina sees I will see tell you guys right from the start, they're a little disappointing because they're.
Speaker 4: Not really because we didn't see much.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't see much. I feel like blurred vision for a lot of this. Unfortunately, this is a good time to talk about the fact.
Speaker 1: I think we've mentioned it before that we do know Sabrina and I do not get together and select which movies are gonna watch. We decided that at the beginning, we all decided that at the beginning that it would be fun if we had other people kind of picking for us to see what's gonna come, what's not gonna come. And I like our producers a little bit less after they decided.
Speaker 2: You're going do you just want to ruin my week here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, lucky, well, but we do want to see the good and the the amazing, and we want to see off the train wrecks, and we want to see whatever this one is category.
Speaker 2: I said, I'm not sure what it is.
Speaker 4: Here's a perfect example.
Speaker 1: As you can tell, I'm once again here in my childhood bedroom explaining to my parents that I had to come up here and record, telling them all about d COM's and everything, and so to show them the difference, I put on the opening scene and then dance scene of the first Descendants movie.
Speaker 4: They loved it. So you never know what's gonna happen, what's not gonna happen. But here we go.
Speaker 1: Let's get into it. Sit, get off the couch. It's time to look at the movie synopsis. An old man surprisingly decides to leave his fortune to his dog and a man who says he can read the dog's mind.
Speaker 4: Yes, he is a mind reading pet psychiatrist.
Speaker 1: I think we've talked about our early thoughts already, not our favorites going in either way.
Speaker 4: This was a rough go for me. I'm gonna be totally honest with you saying you'd already said it's roight.
Speaker 2: I'm ready to It's rough.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, as we stated earlier, the movie stars Kirk Cameron as a now grown up child prodigy who has become a slacker named Jack Morgan. Cameron in real life was, of course an eighties heart throb, first entering collective consciousness on Growing Pains, but he was no stranger to Disney by this point. He'd already appeared in Beyond Which Mountain for the studio and a few after school specials, and of course, his sister Candice Cameron became one of the stars of the seminal TGIF hit Full House.
Speaker 4: She was also on Boy Mets.
Speaker 1: World, You Know, Big Family. Kirk would turn his early TV stardom into movies like Best of Times and Like Fatherlike Son, and his own sitcom Kirk but has since left traditional Hollywood to focus on faith based projects that he produces and sometimes writes, most notably the Left Behind series. Chelsea Noble plays attorney Alison Taylor, Jack's eventual love interest, and Noble is Kirk Cameron's real life wife. They met on the set of Growing Pains, which she guest starred on for twenty two episodes, and have been together ever since. The actress also appeared on Full House, Seinfeldt, Who's the Boss, and Doogie Howser, and has since almost exclusively only worked on projects that Kirk is involved in, including.
Speaker 4: Three of the Left Behind movies.
Speaker 1: The rest of the cast is mostly made up of seasoned veteran TV actors that you may recognize from a few episodes of this and a few episodes of that. But let's point out a few of them here. First up, love him so much and even in this movie he was funny. I am all in on Taylor Negron. I always have been. I think he's great. He is a comedian who came up alongside Robin Williams, Martin Short and David Letterman who is mostly known as mister Pizza Guy in Fast Times at Ridgemont High, but he was also seen in One Crazy Summer, Awesome Moving, Nothing but Trouble, and Easy Money. Negron was a legend in the comedy scene, and he unfortunately passed away in twenty fifteen of liver cancer at just fifty seven years old. Everything you see him in is really funny, except go see The Last Boy Scout, where he plays one of the main bad guys, and he's great. Another great actor who was also good in this with the material he was given.
Speaker 4: James Avery plays driver Calvin Bridge's favorite uncle exactly.
Speaker 1: He is, as Sabrina just pointed out Sitcom Royalty as Philip Banks on the long running show The Fresh Prince of bel Air, and was also the voice uh so cool, so cool, so cool, the voice of Shredder on the original teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon.
Speaker 2: I don't know so how I didn't recognize that.
Speaker 4: I didn't either, an I am an animation nerd. So cool, so cool.
Speaker 1: He also unfortunately passed away in twenty thirteen at the young age of sixty eight. This movie runs eighty eight minutes, which is so close to the bullseye yet so far, and is, in my opinion, eighty seven minutes too long. It's directed by Paul Schneider, a man that we have mentioned here before since he directed Andrew Barber in The Leftovers. He would also direct another dcom Can of Worms and TV shows like Baywatch and La Law. It is written by a bit of a squad of writers which we have seen sometimes. First up, we've got David Kovel, who got script and story credit. This is just one of two credits to his name. The other is a movie called The Legend of Gator Face. Don't know what that is, but oh man, am I going to be watching that soon. The other two writers are Peter Bailoff and David Woolert, a team who in the past road on night Rider they Came from Outer Space, and a TV movie called quicksand No Escape. It is also worth pointing out, and I'm sure everybody else is going to notice as too as they want.
Speaker 4: The movie this is.
Speaker 1: A very very rare dcom where there is not a kid as a lead or even a supporting character. I mean, she's got her daughter who comes in for maybe a scene, but there's no kids anywhere in this movie.
Speaker 3: I noticed that, and I think it's less than five minutes that she's a part of the movie.
Speaker 1: Like in the entire film. This is not a movie for kids, the bye kids with kids. It's so different than we're used to. Yes, we already talked about whether or not you felt close to an animal, but do you think if you'd given more time, you could have looked into Bandit's eyes and told Banded not to run away and Bandit would have listened to you?
Speaker 4: Or are you not a pet?
Speaker 3: Psychic.
Speaker 2: No, I am not a pet psychic.
Speaker 3: He had his own mind, his own agenda, his own little friends that he had to go in and check on.
Speaker 1: Apparently, my god, he's got his own I gotta go see my boo in.
Speaker 3: There was no getting around it.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let's get back into this. Well, it's a movie. The movie kicks off with a photomontage getting across about thirty minutes of exposition in just the length of the already mentioned Emmy nominated track Togetherness. We see that young Kirk Cameron Jack was a bit of a child prodigy story. He was well documented in his youth for being a dog psychic for a pet he adopted. He stunned scientists able to read the mind of his own canine. We're getting all this through like newspaper clippings and articles, and now he has caught the attention of an old man, tycoon, Clive windsor So. The problem is apparently that we set up early. Jack has lost the talent he had when he had hit puberty and he became a charlatan. He's pretending he still has the skill, even taking money from a poor couple who wants to know why their dog is eating so much. His business is flailing, and for a very good reason. He has just sound asleep through the therapy session, letting the pet in needs scarf down a hot dog. But just when he's about to lose his assistant has no upcoming appointments in the books. The couple that came with their dog catches him sleeping, threatens to call the mayor and have this stuff shut down. Nothing's going right for Jack. This is when Clive Windsor and his driver Calvin, arrive with a dog, Lucky, who was upset and agitated, so we should mention here. Lucky is played by dog actor Bogus, who was a Saint Bernard Golden Retriever mix. And Bogus was only in two movies, this one and then a year later The Minus Man, starring Owen Wilson and Sheryl Crow. He played beach dog in that one, which I think we all remember his performance for. Have you ever worked with animals?
Speaker 3: Yes, Toto in the movie with that lost down.
Speaker 4: To just a giant hole in the middle of giant hole.
Speaker 3: Yes, And I think unless I'm well, then we rode on an elephant.
Speaker 4: Okay, don't get too much right, don't get too much away. Well I figured but ummm.
Speaker 3: Atosh with the cam Okay colin in India as well. And I think other than that, I don't have a recollection of working working. Maybe a photo shoot or something like that, but honestly, not not much.
Speaker 2: The elephant was interesting. It was very stincting.
Speaker 4: I had a wild animal career. I've worked.
Speaker 1: I've worked with so many different animals. I've worked like dogs or no.
Speaker 4: I worked with dogs.
Speaker 1: So when I was on Nickelodeon, the Turner and Hooch dog from that movie actually came and did the thing we did with Tom Hanks, he put his mouth around my neck while I was laying on the ground. I've worked with monkeys, chimps, bears, what bears, smart dogs get Yeah, we had two different bears on Boy Met World.
Speaker 4: Dogs.
Speaker 1: Cats, Yeah, I worked with the monkey from Friends. I mean, I've worked with almost as many animals.
Speaker 4: As peacha geese. I had a lot of a lot of stuff. Spiders of its spiders do you like Oh?
Speaker 2: I would not do the spiders. Did you like it?
Speaker 1: How I did it for you depended on the animal that you know. If you get a giant dog, I'm a very happy guy. The monkeys were really funny. I got to play all day with a baby baboon, which was really really cool. It just hung around my neck all day and fell asleep. So I've gotten to do some cool stuff. The bear's a little scary.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, and then remember what we found out with the monkeys from our our friend Brandon Baker.
Speaker 4: They just hit him right in the face exactly.
Speaker 2: Don't ever trust him to trusted one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: So yes, Windsor, the rich man wants Jack to help, and the fake therapist jumps right in. But remember he's faking now. So the talent faded away when he was fourteen, so how could he be of any help? Wait though, because out of nowhere, for the first time since he was a kid, Jack starts hearing a swooshing sound over and over while looking at the dog. He thinks he just needs some fresh air, but it's actually lucky. He's getting messages again. It has spooked him. And this is where I thought to myself, I wonder who's going to do the voice of the dog.
Speaker 2: Yes, same exactly.
Speaker 3: I'm thinking I'm gonna hear this dog actually talking.
Speaker 4: Why wouldn't you?
Speaker 1: How do you not get some actor to come in and play the voice of the dog.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't because I think if it was a funny actor, especially with the great comedic ability and an awesome voice for a dog, it would be it would have been so much better and honestly, so much to it.
Speaker 4: I could not agree with you more.
Speaker 1: And I honestly thought when I saw the credits, I thought it was gonna be Taylor Negron. I thought Taylor Negron was the voice of the dog. I was like, okay, so he's.
Speaker 4: Always going to be the voice.
Speaker 1: Yes, you have a dog that you can communicate with, and you don't put a voice to the dog.
Speaker 4: What the hell?
Speaker 1: It was so confusing too, I was like, what is going on?
Speaker 4: How do you not give the voice? Oh?
Speaker 3: It just made those moments super boring because it's you're just hearing a dog bark versus you know, Kurt Cameron, he's I mean, he as he did a great job in so many ways, working with what little that he had, you know, and.
Speaker 4: Ran into the wall full speed.
Speaker 3: He yes, he did, he did, and and so but him being able to work off of another's actor's voice I think would have just made this movie just thing some scene things exactly they did.
Speaker 4: They did, look who's talking and didn't give the baby a voice? Like what is the point of that? Like, why would you do that? That doesn't make any sense anyway. John quickly gives Lucky back to old band Windsor.
Speaker 1: He wants nothing to do with this, but not before getting one message from the dog through to Jack, which is he's worried about you and there's hostility from three people in your own home. This is the first time where I was like, why wouldn't he want this power back? Wouldn't you want the power back?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: This, well you didn't understand. I think when we get down the line a little bit longer.
Speaker 4: They explain it.
Speaker 3: Kind of they explained it, but it was just it was kind of bizarre. Isn't this what this whole movie's about? And you're turning away this dog get it?
Speaker 1: At this point I was like, Oh, I hope they just roll the credits. But they we still have like eighty six minutes left. Yes, this message, of course means a great deal to Windsor, who now understands what's bothering Lucky and is very impressed with Jack's gift. But that doesn't stop an angry customer from the past, the people we saw in the beginning getting the pet office shut down for fraud. Two weeks later, and as his staff is being repossessed, he's saved again when Windsor's driver, Calvin Bridges, returns. He reveals that Windsor passed away and now Jack is needed the estate for something with the dog.
Speaker 4: You don't know what.
Speaker 1: Jack is hesitant, but Calvin says it might be detrimental for him to attend. Then we cut to the meeting that Jack's on his way to. It's in the Windsor Castle and the reading of an old man's will. The beautiful blonde lawyer, who of course is played by Kirk Cameron's real life wife, is there with his only living heirs, his pompous, sniveling nephews, Reuben and Lyle, and is just as gross niece ponsk Margaret. They've been left basically nothing. There's a sixty four million dollar estate. They're stunned. Who's getting all this money. It's the dog, Lucky, and as the relatives are removed by security, we see Jack the dog therapist arrive. He is told he's going to be executor of the will and involved in taking care of the dog's finances. Now, this is something we should say and let people know this is something that actually does happen in real life. I think her name is Majel Barrett Roddenberry, who's the wife of creator of Star Trek Gene Roddenberry, left four million dollars to her dogs and a million to their caretaker, and real estate tycoon Leona Helmsley left twelve million to her Maltese because of course the Maltese meets twelve million dollars. Forget people that can't eat. Now, did you know this was the thing as we were watching the movie, I knew this was the thing where people are actually leaving their dogs millions dogs.
Speaker 3: I kind of I did not know it was actually a legitimate thing that you could do. I do have of people that I've come across within the industry that are very I believe the creator of the Cheetah Girls book franchise would absolutely leave lots of money for her dog.
Speaker 2: She's got a dog that she is just it is her baby.
Speaker 3: So I do have I have come across people that you you go, I could see them doing that if it was a real thing.
Speaker 2: I didn't know it was an actual, real thing you could do.
Speaker 4: It's a real thing. Yep.
Speaker 3: That leaves me with so many questions on how to I know how and how that plays out?
Speaker 1: And hay to keep the dog alive and healthy and safe, totally get that, Like make sure that whoever takes care of my dog doesn't have to pay a dime for this dog. And yeah, I'm gonna take those twelve So I wasn' gonna leave the dog twelve million dollars. How about five hundred thousand dollars take care of the dog and eleven point five million to charity?
Speaker 4: There you go. Yes, that sounds nice.
Speaker 3: Right, that is the start of aristocrats though the cartoon Disney movie Oh yeah, Woman with her Will, that's right, that with Monreel.
Speaker 4: Oh jeez, that's a tough one. Obviously. The family is furious.
Speaker 1: They even try to attack Jack, who is more impressed with Alice and the lawyer. She explains the situation to him. He will oversee the trust as Lucky's legal voice in all matters for spending, and he will live in the mansion with him, and he gets Calvin as a driver and maids and is a life of luxury all of a sudden, Yes, since he's basically a con man as a therapist and needs the money, I now thought the movie was going to go to Okay, He's going to spend lavishly on himself, forget the dog. He's going to make his own life choices. And that is not at all what happens. What does happen is Jack starts itching his ear like a dog would, right at the same time that Lucky does the same thing, and he tastes leather in his mouth right when Lucky is snacking on a boot.
Speaker 4: Weird.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Jack is now the master of the manor, he's lord of the castle, and he is rich, rich, very rich, and jumping all over.
Speaker 4: The place, super excited.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, we cut to the family members who are talking to a lawyer. They want this fixed, and the lawyer's aim mister fister, We've been talking about this forever. We mentioned this as the top decom name, possibly of all time.
Speaker 2: We met him, now we met him, No, mister Fist. He is a very weird man, mister Fister.
Speaker 4: It's just the best.
Speaker 1: The family is now forced to stay in a disgusting motel and they have no belongings they are broke. They need to show that Jack is mentally unstable to get the inheritance, and mister Fister tourney Fister thinks he can do it, but once thirty percent of the fortune, which of course is not at all how legal fees work. But anyway, they say it's way too much, so instead they're going to take matters in their own hands. But back in the mansion, Jack is still getting messages from Lucky like I want to go outside, I want to eat that kind of thing. It is now official, the gift is back. This is where we now learn there is a catch to this gift and why he did not want to have the gift in the first place, and that's because it can get really really bad if Lucky gets over it. Ex he needs a dog to stay calm, because if he doesn't, Jack essentially turns into Lucky.
Speaker 2: And having a dog behavior exactly like.
Speaker 1: Him, which again would have made more sense and been funnier had the dog also had a voice. Meanwhile, the maids see him talking to the dog and already start to think he's nuts. Lucky starts wildly barking he wants to dig up a bone, and then this triggers Jack to become an animal himself. He starts digging feverishly alongside the dog, and he's doing the exact same move. He also deepens his voice to speak for Lucky, which had real serial killer vibes. But this really scared off the maids. Duh, and where we learn that it's just the talent gets out of hand with too much emotion. Did this make sense to you the whole little then he turns into a dog.
Speaker 3: I didn't have as much of an issue with this part, especially because it did answer my question why you know so at that point I didn't my issues come after with everything else back, Well, how he gets back to normal?
Speaker 1: He just kind of wake up, wakes up like he had a coke binge night or something like that.
Speaker 3: Well, it's not this, I'm giving way one of the very few Sabrina seas that I have.
Speaker 2: But here we go.
Speaker 3: It's not like it's not consecutive, it's not the same every time, it's just randomly he's back into not being Lucky.
Speaker 2: The first time is waking up after the long night and.
Speaker 4: Then like a headache, like he's hung over.
Speaker 3: Yes, And then we see it again as we're coming up and we'll go we'll, i'll you know, stop it. Then again at that point, but yeah, then the next time isn't from a sleep, it's just he just clicks out of it.
Speaker 1: Well, and the one time, I think Calvin just says Jack, wake up, like get out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then he's all of a sudden, Yeah, he's.
Speaker 2: In the back of the car. He's in the back of the limo. He just nothing.
Speaker 3: So it didn't make sense to know when he was You knew when he was going to probably jump into it. You didn't know what it was that made him kind of wake up from this right spell type thing.
Speaker 1: This is a good time to say I have been and I think you're better at this than I am.
Speaker 4: You're way better at this than I am.
Speaker 1: But I have been really actively trying to watch these movies how they're supposed to be watched. Yeah, as a kid, And I think if I watched this as an eleven year old kid, I still would have hated it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I the whole time was going this movie because it's so outlandish. Unlike so many of our other D coms, it felt very young and not a teenage mind a six or seven year old mindset.
Speaker 2: Of what you would need to accept it.
Speaker 4: But then do that make it a Disney movie.
Speaker 1: Make the lead a nine year old girl a ten year old boy who can talk to dogs and turns into dogs and inherits the money, then it's a great dcom. Right, then it's Richie rich meets dog World kind.
Speaker 2: Of totally totally do that.
Speaker 3: But this was it didn't seem it was not of our normal D coms in the sense of targeting our normal target.
Speaker 1: It was a very strange I didn't know who the kids watching this movie were supposed to connect with, right, they would have connected with the dog if it got a funny, wacky voice.
Speaker 2: But he oh yeah, absolutely, but he did.
Speaker 1: Jack and the dog spend the evening going wild. This is after he's now turned into the dog. They spend the evening going wild, eating a couch together, leaves Kirk with a ton of feathers in his mouth, barking on all fours, running around and howling at the moon.
Speaker 4: Oh here's some useless trivia.
Speaker 1: By the way, Cameron actually had to wear elbow and knee pads while filming to be able to run around like a dog.
Speaker 3: Do you know when I read this, I was like, of course he did the whole time. I'm going this poor guy, Yeah, running around constantly on his knees and hands like that was rough because it was out in cement and in the mall. I mean it was everywhere. It wasn't just on that would have been so painful. I do not I've done that.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: I barely can get on my knees to play with Monroe. I'm like, can we sit?
Speaker 2: Can we let's bring this up.
Speaker 4: To the table.
Speaker 1: Let'll do something else. I feel the same way. I hurt myself this morning. Waking up the next morning, Jack is back to human, but now hungover from being a dog. He's surrounded by destroyed furniture and toys and begging Lucky not to let this happen again. But he's also still bothered by Lucky's disposition.
Speaker 4: Well what's bothering him?
Speaker 1: We see a small flashback with his now diseased owner, mister Windsor, where Lucky convinces his human to walk in the rain, but they get outside and that's when Windsor goes ill and dies. We see Lucky then very sadly standing above him and barking in the rain.
Speaker 4: Really sad.
Speaker 1: It was so sad it was back in current day, Jack tells him it wasn't his fault and to hold onto good memories. But this doesn't help Lucky. He's not even eating, so it's time to change up some scenery. So hey, Lucky, where do you want to go? He wants to go where every dog obviously wants to go. The park, the beach, No, the mall. Lucky is so excit to go to the mall, like all dogs are. That it triggers Jack again, and now they're both acting like wild pets. Out for a drive with Calvin.
Speaker 4: Can we believe? Okay?
Speaker 1: Kirk Cameron found this script and apparently spent years trying to get this made. At this point in the car, he's itching himself with his foot behind his ear, yelling, oh Susannah, And now we can say what you want about the script in the movie, and it's not good. I'm not going to sugarcoat Kirk Cameron. We said he swings for the fences. He's really giving it his all. He's not phoning it in is he is trying to make this work. In all fairness to Kirk camra and correct.
Speaker 3: Me if I'm wrong, But I don't remember of the things that he's done, seeing him as a big character actor.
Speaker 4: No like a Jim Carrey, as like.
Speaker 3: A big comedy character type actor. So this was for him and he went.
Speaker 4: For it, you know, he did. He did, and that might have been it.
Speaker 1: You could be one hundred percent right where it's He was, Hey, I get to do wacky kind of physical comedy that I never got a chance to do, and it's for kids. He obviously when he got into the Christian world he wanted to do more wholesome things, which I have no problem with that whatsoever. So he wanted to make a wholesome kind of disneynes movie. But to then say the dog has no voice and we're not gonna have kids in it. I just don't know where you where you're supposed to go with this, Like what was the point?
Speaker 2: Ye?
Speaker 1: So, but yes, Kirk Cameron giving it his all, his awe as Jack and the dog.
Speaker 4: Bark out the window like the dogs they are.
Speaker 1: The family members, the evil Ponds Gum family members pull up alongside him and try to get video of it to prove that he's a total maniac, but they crashed into another car. Meanwhile, the ginormous nineteen nineties video camera that Taylor Negron is holding. Unfortunately, he plays a wacky, bumbling guy.
Speaker 4: He did not put in any tape into the shot. That camera camera.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I wish I had more memories of my dad with a camera like that.
Speaker 2: I was my young dad had that camera.
Speaker 4: I had that camera. That was your dad.
Speaker 3: Well, I think it would be if I ask, how how old is your dad? Oh, he was born in forty eight, so he's okay, seventy What is that?
Speaker 2: No, seventy he was born forty eight.
Speaker 4: Okay. I was afraid you were going to be like, he's fifty two, Like, oh god.
Speaker 3: He's in his seventies. But you would not know because that guy looks amazing. Shout out dad, Shout out dad in your giant.
Speaker 2: Camera, with your big old camera.
Speaker 1: Eventually Jack snaps out of his dog Cooma, and they're at the mall. Jack and Lucky have a real pretty woman moment with a salesman in the furniture department when the worker says the dog must get off the sofa. Instead, Lucky spends thousands of dollars by buying five couches to be delivered the next day.
Speaker 4: It's a lot of couches.
Speaker 2: That's a lot of couches.
Speaker 4: At the same.
Speaker 1: Time, you just wanted the voice of the dog to go. You just made a big mistake.
Speaker 4: Cure just do a whole pretty woman thing. But there was no voice.
Speaker 3: But the dog does have The little head nod that the dog does to is so cute.
Speaker 2: It really is a door I had a voice to its great, I know, I know, I agree.
Speaker 1: He also bought a ton of shoes to eat and dog toys to play with, which includes a great, of course pet Co promotional moment. But it's still confusing that Jack isn't buying anything for himself. He's earnestly acting as the dog's trustee, which kind of goes against the character that they set up for him where he's a charlatan he deserves some of the money. But and so, how is this not the movie? How do you not take this movie either? If you're going to keep it Kirk Cameron, then give the dog a voice and make Kirk Cameron spending money the way he wants to, and it's the dog trying to pull him back like this is my money. I mean, you could have a great, essentially buddy comedy between the dog and Kirk Cameron or you make him a kid and you do you play it like this, but it was very strange the way they went. Yeah, so I don't know how they didn't do that. Then he falls in love with the dog and he gives the money back.
Speaker 4: They do. They could have done anything anyway it needed to rewrite.
Speaker 1: Jack does meet back up with somebody who's going to be even more important in the film, and that's the attractive and divorced.
Speaker 4: Lawyer Alison, who's with her daughter. Hey a kid.
Speaker 1: A love story is slowly brewing here. But then he has a dog attack, which we can call it, right in front of her. Lucky smells Wanton chicken from Wanton Tommy's in the food court, which I don't know if you know that, but is just a Tommy Burger with Wanton added to the sign.
Speaker 4: Okay, Tommy Burger.
Speaker 1: I don't know if that's anywhere else in the country, but in LA we have Tommy Burger, yes, especially at the time, and they just covered burger and made it Wanton Tommy's.
Speaker 2: I did not recognize that, but okay.
Speaker 1: They both become they freak out, both Lucky and Jack. They both pig out, bearing their faces into plates. Fighting over the crust, he goes full dog, this time, eventually getting kicked out by security. But luckily Alison did not see the worst parts of this. She left early. Sabrina, I'm gonna ask you this most serious question I've ever asked you in my entire life. Could you date a dog man?
Speaker 2: What does that mean?
Speaker 4: A dog means it's a dog man?
Speaker 1: Could you date a guy who clearly turns into a dog when he gets too excited with other dogs around?
Speaker 4: A dog man?
Speaker 3: Sabrina question, I would have turned real quick when he was in front of the Tommy Wong Kong place and doing his hips the tail wagging that that would have I'm done.
Speaker 2: I'm done.
Speaker 4: So your red flag is tail wagging. It's good. Yes, that's good. That's good to know, Sabrina's red flag.
Speaker 3: This will be over, this podcast will be Nolan Void, mister, will you start wag my tail?
Speaker 4: I may occasionally go, but I will not wag my tail, I promise you. All right.
Speaker 2: Sounds good.
Speaker 4: So we're back at the mansion now.
Speaker 1: Lucky's a ton of stuff, turning the place into a pet dream house, and niece Margaret arrives to quote unquote discuss business with Jack. He immediately goes into dog attack with her because he's so happy to dig bones and even thrust his body at her and eventually just attacks. The acting is insane. We're not gonna keep talking about this. He's just he's going for it. Kirk is just far too scary as a rabbit dog and the voice he's using again is insane.
Speaker 4: I want to remind you one last time, this was nominated for an Emmy again, it was for the music.
Speaker 1: Jack doesn't want Alison the lawyer to find out about his dog transformations, and Lucky is still so sad about mister Windsor. Lucky, though, convinces Jack to let him sleep in the bed with him. And then that night the three family members break in. Okay, they turn off the alarm, the lights, and they set up that they want to shoot the dog with tranquilizer guns to get rid of the dog. Okay, so they point out, here are the tranquilizer darts. They're very powerful.
Speaker 4: Shoot the dog. Great.
Speaker 1: Jack and Lucky wake up from their share bed and the nieces and nephews are bumbling around the house and shooting each other with the tranquilizer darts multiple times and nothing.
Speaker 2: Happens, And nothing's happening.
Speaker 4: Nothing happens. It's they try to go home alone.
Speaker 1: And remember in old school when he shoot himself, you just shot yourself in the neck.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and the.
Speaker 1: Dark doesn't affect them at all, like maybe their arm goes a little numb, but they're shooting.
Speaker 4: She gets shot like.
Speaker 1: Three times in the butt with a tranquilizer dark and nothing.
Speaker 3: So, how is this supposed to do anything to a fairly big size it's a big dog. Yeah, how is this supposed to do a thing?
Speaker 2: What is it?
Speaker 4: I it did nothing?
Speaker 3: No, And I felt that this whole scene of them doing being in the house went on for so ever wrong. It just kept going and nothing, you know, I mean the big culmination of going you know, ou out of the window into the pool.
Speaker 2: I it just was And I'm going, where's Jane Savor? Where he? Where did he go? He was downstairs the bone, but he didn't see any of them. The house didn't look that big, you know where. They kept running into each other.
Speaker 1: Her Cameron Jack is staring right at them at one point, yes, and then later says.
Speaker 4: I heard them but didn't see them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how how you're looking at him. You've seen them before.
Speaker 3: If they were for him to just say, oh, I think it's that those three random uh family members, that would be one thing. But you've seen them before, you would recognize them absolutely multiple times.
Speaker 4: At this point it needs no sense.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: Lucky and Jack as the dog run them out and to their fountain, leading the family back to the greatest named character of all time, mister Fister, who now in another legal cunning move, wants fifty percent to help them again not how legal fees work. They agree this time, and of course there's a dig about lawyers being scum as the son of two lawyers.
Speaker 4: Those always irk me.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Alison rushes to the house and alerts Jack that the family heirrs are all over the TV setting up a lawsuit against Jack for taking advantage of the elderly and being a scam artist. And as the court case approaches, Jack decides to keep his connection to Lucky a secret from Alison, and since she's his lawyer who will be defending him, he can't look crazy because that won't be helpful.
Speaker 4: This is also time to.
Speaker 1: Point out that we've not that we needed to, but you figure there'd be at least one joke about the dog having a peer pooh and Kirk Cameron having your Kirk Cameron raising his leg or something.
Speaker 4: But I don't know if it's a good thing or bad thing. I think probably a good thing that had never happened anyway.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that is funny that there's nothing nothing they do.
Speaker 1: The one thing where he tells them, well, he doesn't tell him because there's no voice, but turn your back, you know, Kirk Cameron shouldn't watch him while he goes. Yeah, so now we jump right into the court case because of course we figured this would end in the court drama. Yes, for some reason, where a ton of characters are seen throughout the movie are now on the stand. All of the last episode of Seinfeld telling stories about what they've seen from Jack. The angry pet therapy customer from the beginning talks about him being a liar. The maids talk about what they saw in the yard with the bone, the police who've been in the house saw Jack eating out of a garbage can, and even our limo driver Calvin had to admit under oath that he's seen Jack act like a dog. He didn't want to because he and Jack had become friends, and he knows he's living a better life in the mansion, but under oath, he.
Speaker 4: Had to tell the truth right.
Speaker 1: The family lies and overreacts and makes Jack seem like a total monster. This isn't looking good, but it's time for Jack to take the stand like you do. Jack admits on the stand that he was lying about his previous power, that he did have it, but that it went away, but now it's back and he actually can read Lucky's mind. Attorney Fister asks what the dog is thinking right now, and Jack says he wants to eat the lawyer's shoes. Everyone laughs, but they still think so it's bs the family's going to get everything of mister Windsor's.
Speaker 4: They're even gonna get Lucky.
Speaker 1: We find out they would get the dog too, which is strange because they wouldn't want him, which makes Jack furious. They can take the money, they can take the house, but they can't take Lucky. So he begs Alison to put him on the stand again, so like you do in most courtrooms, he can transfer into the dog again to prove that he's not crazy, which is a terrible plan because technically that just proves that you're crazy.
Speaker 4: Jack takes the stand.
Speaker 1: Things aren't coming together immediately, so when mister Fister starts to erupt saying this is the proof they need to win the case, Lucky gets very mad. That excitement leads Jack back to Dogtown, completely mimicking the pets. Actually, the choreography between Kirk and the dog at this point is kind of great. They're both like turning their head at the same time. It's the only time it really kind of happens during the movie.
Speaker 3: They're completely in sync with each other. Right, It's good. It was good, and that part worked again. Would have been better if the dog had a voice. So Jack faces one way while Lucky faces the other towards mister Fister. Fister is told to hold out an object for the dog that Jack can't see, but Jack has to say what it is, proving he's the actual voice for what the dog is seeing.
Speaker 4: He nails it every time. It's a pen, it's whatever. And now.
Speaker 1: They give a great closing argument to the judge about living their life to the fullest when you can.
Speaker 4: But so Jack, I'm trying to explain this horribleness.
Speaker 1: Jack is saying what the dog is thinking in a weird serial killer voice again about living your life to the fullest, and all of a sudden, in the middle of that, the dog remembers that it was actually the main nephew who killed mister Windsor by spiking his drink with poison.
Speaker 4: What a twist. The truth is exposed, forcing nephew Lyle to somehow pull out.
Speaker 1: The gun he got in court, So now he's also armed, which he went to court with a gun for some reason and got it.
Speaker 3: Still trying to at this point figure out how it was. What did he actually kill him with? They did really show him putting it in, though.
Speaker 1: They did, they did it, And and the bottle literally says poison.
Speaker 2: Poison, Yes, okay, you're right, yep, okay.
Speaker 4: That's it.
Speaker 1: It's not it, there's it, doesn't It just says poison'd like you do on a on a regular bottle. And like like any other normal court case, if you look at a bag of evidence.
Speaker 4: The wrong way, it's thrown out of court.
Speaker 1: But of course the dog Kirk Cameron speaking for the dog, completely admissible, yes, just unbelievable. But the truth is exposed. He pulls out the gun he got into court. The relatives make a break for it, and they would have gotten away with it. Two if it wasn't for that pesky dog. Lucky attacks and appears to get shot in the process. Everyone is so scared the bad guys get taken away. Who knows what's gonna happen to this puff? Is he okay? Did he make it?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: His name is Lucky. He was only grazed in the ear. The day is saved when Alison touches the dog's ear. It's Kirk Cameron's Jack who goes ow and everybody laughs because it's so funny when you sneak a gun into court and shoot a dog.
Speaker 4: Back at the mansion.
Speaker 1: Later on, Lucky has learned about pet adoption and is buying a ton of friends to live there. Too good, just go buy some friends. Dogs are taking up the entire grounds and Alison and her daughter are there, and Allison's daughter has been given a puppy too, and are possibly gonna move in, which seems very fast and early. Also, I'm sorry, unless you know this person backwards and forwards, do not give anyone a dog as a gift.
Speaker 4: It is a bad gift. You have to know them, discuss it.
Speaker 1: You're giving somebody a baby, for God's sakes, It's like, yeah, puppy, don't do it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: By the way, people out there, I know that dogs aren't babies. I get it, but you're giving people a lot of responsibility.
Speaker 2: That's a lot of responsibility. It is.
Speaker 1: Don't give animals without knowing the person wants an animal, and certainly don't give a little girl a puppy without checking with her parents first.
Speaker 4: I mean, man, come on, Kirk Cameron. So it's all very.
Speaker 1: Weird and damaging, but that's it. We wrap it up with Jack given some big kisses to the good boys, and the once again Emmy nominated song Togetherness hits as Alison and Calvin look on shaking their head, and then end credits, and I just like to end by saying, this movie was made in nineteen ninety eight, and if this movie couldn't get any worse, think about this.
Speaker 4: Every dog in this movie is now dead.
Speaker 5: My rear reviews Showy or the Love fromna Ah.
Speaker 1: Let's do real reviews. We somehow found a five star review Sabrina.
Speaker 2: I would love for you to I will read it for you.
Speaker 4: It's five out of one hundred. No, I'm kidding it's five out of five. Go ahead, what do you all right?
Speaker 3: This is an unknown reviewer. Really funny. I think it would be cool to know what your dog is thinking, but I wouldn't want to act like a dog.
Speaker 4: Okay, fair enough, I have the one star review.
Speaker 1: Jensen picked this one out of the I'm sure several thousand one star reviews there were had to have been.
Speaker 4: This is great.
Speaker 1: This is also from an unknown It says, someone may suggest you watch this movie instead, go outside, mow the lawn, remove the lint from your socks, file some old paint cards. Do anything except watch this you will be unable to unsee it. About the nicest thing you can say is at least it gave some people income.
Speaker 2: Oh it's pretty close.
Speaker 4: It is pretty close.
Speaker 1: As we do every week here on Magical Rewind, and we love to play a new game, a new feature that we have every week, usually set up by producer Jensen.
Speaker 4: This one is no exception.
Speaker 1: Usually producer Jensen pops on with us, but he and his lovely wife TV's Tapanga Daniel Fischel are off on vacation this week, so producer Tara.
Speaker 4: Is gonna come on for us.
Speaker 1: I believe is going to tell us what answers are correct and what aren't. Our feature this week is called pet tea Crime, Petty Crime. We will be explaining one of the worst pets in movie history, and we have to say what movie it's from. If we as a team can be three out of five correct, we win. Okay, so it's now it's we're teammates this week.
Speaker 3: I do appreciate that Jensen, wherever you are vacation, feel.
Speaker 4: Like I got the short end of the stick. There we go.
Speaker 2: It's funny because it's so true.
Speaker 1: All right, so I am again, I am gonna this is the worst pets in movie history.
Speaker 4: We have to say what movie it's from, So here we go Number one?
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: Initially a friendly and playful pet, this dog and movie title becomes vicious after being bitten by a rabbit bat.
Speaker 4: Sabrina a rabbit bat. Huh what is the name of that animal?
Speaker 2: I don't know any movies with bats in a mixup for ace Ventura.
Speaker 4: Okay, man, that is kujho Am I correct, Tara.
Speaker 2: You're correct.
Speaker 3: Okay, I have not seen it, but there's an episode of Friends where Rachel's watching it.
Speaker 4: So okay, there you go. So there's job bat got number one.
Speaker 1: Number two, after Tom Green, in the middle of his career, Peak almost eats a mouse in front of a snake. It eventually bites his hand, leading him to flail all over a dorm room and eventually fling it onto another student's neck.
Speaker 4: Do you know this? Oh, my gosh, No, I don't either.
Speaker 2: I don't Tom Green. I don't think I watched anything really had either.
Speaker 4: I couldn't you a Tom Green thing?
Speaker 3: Tar? What is it?
Speaker 2: The answer is Road Trip?
Speaker 4: Oh, I've never seen it.
Speaker 2: Okay, I've never seen I know of that movie, but I don't think I've ever seen it.
Speaker 4: Okay. Number three, we're one in one here as a team.
Speaker 1: Number three, a stalking alligator bit the handoff of former golf pro Chubs, beating him to get a somewhat comedic prosthetic replacement and eventually seek revenge.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Rina, this is happy Gilmour, Yes, say Gilmore.
Speaker 4: Yes, we don't even need Tar to come on. I know that's right. Number four, so we're two and one. Number four, when two concrete dogs come to life, it's just another addition to a very hectic situation in New York City.
Speaker 2: Two concrete dogs.
Speaker 4: Come on, Sabrina, come on, cri.
Speaker 2: You know this one?
Speaker 4: Of course, I know this one.
Speaker 2: Two concrete dolls? Patrol?
Speaker 4: How about gonna give you? Let me give you a hint. I am the key master? Are you gozer Goes? Are the Gozarian?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: Ghostbusters?
Speaker 2: Who are you gonna call? That would have been the better?
Speaker 4: Who are you gonna call?
Speaker 1: That? Be?
Speaker 4: Too easy to give her? Is too easy?
Speaker 2: Busters?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: That's Ghostbusters? Is the two concrete dogs technically worth three and one?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: You got you knew that one?
Speaker 4: Number five? The last one?
Speaker 1: No bright light, you don't get them wet and above all else you don't feed them after midnight?
Speaker 2: Oh what Gremlins?
Speaker 4: Yay, we're four and one.
Speaker 3: That's what everyone used to say. Rocky used to look like it's like a little funny, is it?
Speaker 4: Gremlin? You know who did and who did the voice of Gizmo in Gremlins?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 2: I don't know that one?
Speaker 4: That was Howie Mandel. Wow, Howie Mandel was Gizmo?
Speaker 2: That's cool?
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, well that's true. We were four and one.
Speaker 1: I think Jensen did not get to stump us on that one, which is good.
Speaker 3: So he doesn't care about stumping you. He's always wanting to stump me back.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 1: Well he didn't this week, so right now wherever he's on vacation, he just got a little itch in his neck that he's scratching like Kirk Cameron and you lucky dog.
Speaker 4: Can we do Sabrina sees please.
Speaker 2: There was not a lot for me to really sink my teeth in on this one.
Speaker 4: If you will, I will.
Speaker 3: The first one I had kind of a hard time understanding.
Speaker 2: Really.
Speaker 3: It wasn't obvious to me at the very beginning. You see all these news clip beans and everything. It was odd to me of how they were explaining what he was doing. Now right, yes, I agree in there I was that already. I'm going, okay, I don't know how I'm confused. We're two minutes in. I don't understand. But one funny thing that did happen. That lady must be his secretary must say that she's going to quit every single day because that fox was so handy, ready to.
Speaker 2: Go, just boom right on the thing. I go, oh, she's done this before.
Speaker 4: And she's daily no pay. She says she hasn't been paid, so.
Speaker 3: Totally, yes, of course, the next one is the car scene. I just could not get over. First of all, the car, the was it like a VDA van that's.
Speaker 4: The Taylor Negron one. Yes, yes, the.
Speaker 3: Erratic driving and everything was just so over the top cartoony. And then the worst part for me was the nephew that is driving.
Speaker 2: He is I mean he's driving it the way Monroe drives that car at Autotopia. I mean, no sense of keeping anything. I mean, it is just it was. It was like a cartoon.
Speaker 3: It was so bad how he was handling that wheel.
Speaker 2: It was hilarious. I was just dying. The last one is in the mall. Now I am.
Speaker 3: All for you know, the emotional support dogs things like that, you know what I mean totally, but that was not of this time, right, that wasn't a big thing. I think, if anything, you only had a cniye dog, I want to say, right, And the fact that they were able to take this giant dog into the mall, into a department store, even I was. I would wonder, first of all, seeing Petco when this movie was in ninety eight, I would imagine it probably wasn't even super normal to take your dog to Petco back then, because you didn't really take your dogs into places the same. No, No, not only that, but you definitely didn't take your dog into a mall without a leash.
Speaker 2: What's happening here?
Speaker 4: He's on the counter of wanton Tommy's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how are the security guards not going?
Speaker 1: Sir?
Speaker 2: You need to leash that dog up and get the heck out of here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was And then, of course we already talked about I did say the same thing, those amounts of tranquilizing darts that got put into these people that didn't do anything.
Speaker 2: No, it was that whole part was it was funny.
Speaker 3: I felt like, you know, Monroe was sitting there giggling, laughing.
Speaker 2: She enjoyed that part of the She's Gonna be four.
Speaker 4: Okay, so we found our age group for this film.
Speaker 2: Yet, that's what I was saying. I really saw this movie.
Speaker 3: It was it was interesting to see a movie that was clearly targeting a way younger audience because it would take away younger mind to be able to not question some of the silliness of what the movie was.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: But yeah, so that was The darts were my my final thing. And then of course the courtroom was just.
Speaker 2: The gun getting out Oh that's what.
Speaker 3: We got a gun and it's it's the oldest gun from the western chambers.
Speaker 2: Of the Midwest. Like it was so ridiculous.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just it was hard, hard to really continue to focus on this movie because I just kind of kept zoning out.
Speaker 2: I was zoning out, unfortunately, I.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent. So now we come to the portion of our program where we rate the movie one out of ten, one being the worst, ten being the best. Our options this week one out of ten. Kirk Cameron ear scratches one out of ten Emmy nominated songs from You Lucky Dog, one out of ten head Co Cross Promotions, Yeah, dogs who don't peeer Pooh, mister Fisters, or one out of ten want on Tommy's.
Speaker 3: I think we gotta go with mister Fisters because we had I'm so happy that we actually watched the movie where the number one d com Crazy Names came from.
Speaker 2: We got to do mister Fisters.
Speaker 4: I agree with you one thousand percent. I don't know who what.
Speaker 1: I think I think you went first. Last time, I think I did you did. Oh jeez, it's my turn. I I've said this before, I'm saying this again. I'm working so hard on trying to watch these movies the way they're supposed to be watched.
Speaker 4: I really am This movie had so many problems.
Speaker 1: How you have a movie with a guy who can communicate with the dog and you don't have a voice for the dog.
Speaker 4: How the guy gets on the stand at the end. How people are gonna be like, oh, it's supposed to be fun.
Speaker 1: I get that this was a bad movie. I'm sorry this was There were no kids in it. It was not a d coom in any way. I get Kirk Cameron was swinging for the fences. The acting actually wasn't awful. No, you've got James Avery, who's great and obviously committing.
Speaker 4: Kirk Cameron is committing to the part.
Speaker 1: Everybody's trying, they really are, but the material was not there. This might be my lowest rated dcom of all time. I'm giving this to mister too.
Speaker 2: Mister fisters.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well that makes me feel better for mine, because I was going, Wow, I don't think i'd ever give below a four. I think that's the lowest I've given so far, and that killed me to even do that. It's tough, I get it, you know, Although now that I'm thinking I think my four was to fuzz Bucket, and which is crazy, right, that was probably should watch that again. Yeah, so I I think because we've again, we've started, we just got off doing some really great movies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's tough. I think I'm gonna my gosh.
Speaker 3: Now, I wish I would have watched buzz Bucket after this, because I can't rate fuzz Bucket better than this.
Speaker 2: There's just no way I can't.
Speaker 4: Oh you can, absolutely, I think I can. I'm just gonna stick with.
Speaker 3: My original then it was it was a three point five mister fisters for me.
Speaker 1: Okay, wow, three and a half. It's that half fister that really gets you.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I can't go down to it three because it's not that far off from fuzz Bucket, but I will go to the three point five. I'm gonna stick to my original thought.
Speaker 1: I am actually putting this below Fuzzbucket because at least fuzz Bucket was for kids.
Speaker 4: It had kids in it. Yeah, made no, but it was like.
Speaker 1: It made but it was kids, but it was like, this was fuzz Bucket. If they didn't give fuzz Bucket his own voice, You remember, could you He's just talking, He's just hearing him an answer. Yes, okay, but that's so they did a whole movie that way. You can't do well, you know, go I I hate to say, go watch this movie, but go what you know, you gotta watch along and see you got to see the good, the bad, the indifferent.
Speaker 4: Watch.
Speaker 3: Yes, if you have kids, especially that love dogs, that was what I think Monroe was able to. Really he loves buppies, so you know it was it was, okay.
Speaker 1: This exact same movie. Don't change anything about this movie. But give the dog its own voice, and it goes up to a four or five.
Speaker 3: Or five or even maybe a six if the actor that does the voice is exactly look who's talking.
Speaker 4: If Bruce Willis doesn't do the voice of the baby.
Speaker 2: Could you want to that point? What would be the point?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: No, And it.
Speaker 1: Had to have been discussed at some level. It had to have been discussed to give the dog a voice. It had to have been.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just what would be the reason not to do it.
Speaker 4: I don't know. You get some great actor to come in and do the.
Speaker 3: VOI I do believe that with the cast that was in place, their four million dollar budget, that's where it makes sense to me because they did have some really great actors.
Speaker 1: Great actors again, Taylor Negron, very funny with the whacky like that. I love the trope of the wacky bad guy who's bumbling, can't get it together, really stupid. That works there, you look, you look at something like like Home Alone or something like that works.
Speaker 4: It works like Gangbusters. It's great.
Speaker 2: Taylor Negron's so funny in this movie, so great.
Speaker 4: None of it made sense. It needed to rewrite, it needed the dog to talk. It was. This was not a good movie, and two might have been harsh.
Speaker 1: I might be able to go two point five because of the cast, maybe even three because of the cast.
Speaker 4: But this was a bad movie. Anyway. Hopefully our next movie will not be because our next movie is two thousand and eight, huge hit camp Rock. Oh yes, I don't know anything about it.
Speaker 1: Jonas bro Oh now if this is the one with the Jonas brothers, Okay, there we go.
Speaker 2: Yes, this is the one. I thought teen Beach was good.
Speaker 4: I was so disappointed.
Speaker 1: And you get to.
Speaker 2: See the Joe bros. When they were babies. They were eighty beaty little guys.
Speaker 1: We're so cute and adult Jonas brothers super talented.
Speaker 4: I'm down for the Jonas brothers. One of them was in the Jumanji movie. He was great.
Speaker 2: Oh so yeah, Nick?
Speaker 4: Nick? Okay, Nick, I am a Joe Broy.
Speaker 2: Can I have the same birthday?
Speaker 4: Will?
Speaker 2: You should know?
Speaker 3: That is some good Trivia's your birthday September sixteenth?
Speaker 4: Ny?
Speaker 2: Can I share the same birthday? September sixteen?
Speaker 4: Good to know? Well, there you go.
Speaker 2: You know, might as well be best?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you might as well be best. Use two thousand and eight. Camp Rock is next. It is on Disney Plus, so go and check it out there. I can't wait to see it. I need to get the taste of you, Lucky Dog out of my mouth, much like the shoe leather that Lucky needed to get out of his Remember please to subscribe to our feed and you can follow us at the Magical rewind Pod on the Instagram Machine.
Speaker 4: Thank you for joining us. I promise the next one will be better.
Speaker 1: Bye everybody, Bye,