Speaker 1: Second date of date. You never know when or where you're gonna meet the love of your life.
Speaker 2: Jeffrey, that's so nice.
Speaker 1: Like years ago, Brooke met a hunky, traveling salesman named Rory. She told us this story many many times on the show, but just to recap for anybody who doesn't know. After one steamy night involving a diner at the edge of town, passion took over, and to this day her husband firmly believes that those children are really his. It's a story that's as romantic as it is factually correct.
Speaker 2: That is not true at all.
Speaker 3: I have only fallen, truly, madly, deeply in love with one man, and that is my husband.
Speaker 4: Oh name, one of the kids middle names was Roy, after the real father too.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you love your husband but you still married Roy.
Speaker 2: No, just Michael.
Speaker 1: Your love life confuses the hell. It's hard to keep up with. All I'm trying to say is that love can strike anywhere at any time. That's even when you work as a barista at a coffee shop, like our listener Jacqueline does. So let's talk to her. Jacqueline, how you doing.
Speaker 5: I'm doing okay, how were you guys?
Speaker 2: You sound a little like sad or something. Are you all right?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I just I need your help.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: I thought maybe Brook's love story brought you to tears the salesman, but I don't know, maybe got something else going on. Tell us about it.
Speaker 5: Well, like you said, I'm a barista at a coffee shop, and a couple of weeks ago, it was, yeah, it's true, I like it.
Speaker 1: That's exactly the attitude that Alexis had when she used to work. There's like it's okay.
Speaker 5: Well, a couple of weeks ago, it was kind of a slow time of day and I ended up meeting this really nice customer and he ordered a latte and complimented me on my film art with your what art? Foam art?
Speaker 1: Yeah you can draw pictures?
Speaker 2: Did you put your phone number in the foam on the top?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's actually looks hard to do that.
Speaker 5: It is hard because I actually didn't do any film art.
Speaker 2: Why would he say that?
Speaker 5: I don't know. Maybe he was just trying to talk to me, but he goes, oh my god, like is that a dog's face? It looks just like my dog, Kevin.
Speaker 4: He's totally just like joking with you.
Speaker 6: To get your to you.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I mean I think he knew I wasn't trying to do latche art because he said I was the Picasso of latch art.
Speaker 2: Picasso's abstracted.
Speaker 1: That's not necessarily pretty art. It is just very cool in his cubism facey sure did you get his name?
Speaker 5: By the way, his name is Kenny. The dog's name is Kevin, after Kevin from the office.
Speaker 2: I mean, how did you parlay that into anything?
Speaker 1: Well, so you have.
Speaker 5: Been like really friendly and sweet, and I mean, I know this is kind of unprofessional, but since I didn't have a lot of customers coming in, he asked if I would come sit with him? Oh a little bit.
Speaker 2: Really yeah, that is like I feel like that's bold.
Speaker 3: I don't know that I could ever think of a scenario where I would ask any weight stuff to come sit with me.
Speaker 1: Although you did go to a Starbucks and try to ask out the baristas recently and they all said no.
Speaker 2: It's a good point.
Speaker 7: It wouldn't be a good gauge though, because if it's a dead empty coffee shop and she's like, oh no, I can't, he would be like, oh, okay, she's working.
Speaker 4: So here's my point.
Speaker 7: So she can say, oh, sorry, I'm working, she has an excuse, but if she says yes, I'll sit with you, it's a huge size.
Speaker 6: She's at work.
Speaker 1: The ball's in your court at this point, Jacqueline, what'd you do?
Speaker 5: I said, yeah, sure, let me just you know, let my manager know I'm going to take my break.
Speaker 2: And oh you even did it? Like on the up and up?
Speaker 1: Was it worth it? How did it go?
Speaker 3: It was good?
Speaker 5: Like we were laughing, getting to know each other. And he asked if I was single, And normally, whenever a customer asked me that I lie and I'm like, I'm married basically yeah, yeah, but I was honest. I told him, yeah, I'm single. So he asked me for my number, and after he left, like even my co workers were like, oh my god, that was really cute.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, you get an immediate gauge. No, you get like I would love if two of my girlfriends could always go on every date that I went on to like tell me whether or not at Whitwell.
Speaker 1: Alexis if Brooks says, oh my god, that guy and you are really cute together. What do you think of?
Speaker 3: It's just can I get someone else's but Jack, and this is a coworker whose opinion you actually respect, Jeff.
Speaker 1: Situation.
Speaker 2: So wait, what's happened since?
Speaker 5: Well, we texted back and forth for a little bit, but like our last text exchange we had was a few days ago and it was kind of weird. But he messages me, yeah, so what's up with Glenn? Does he still have his motorcycle?
Speaker 2: Who?
Speaker 5: I don't know who Glenn. I don't know who Glenn or anyone with a motorcycle. So I wrote, Haha, what are you talking about? And he said, oh, come on, stop saying koy with like a smirky face emoji. I wrote, is this a game? And he never wrote back, and it was like kind of awkward, and I don't really sounds.
Speaker 1: Like he was actually turned by that conversation.
Speaker 2: If you put a smirky face, that means that you're not upset.
Speaker 1: Yeah, were you guys talking about astronaut John Glenn at any point during your conversation in the coffee shop. Pretty sure he has a motorcycle. I'm trying to solve the mystery or who Glenn is. Uh, So we have no idea. Clearly Jacqueline doesn't know. We should probably just call him and try and see if he picks up, and you can give us some answers. Yeah, we will reach out to this guy Kenny and maybe to his dog Kevin and try and get you a second date update right after this. Okay, okay, all right, hold on second date update today. We have a mystery. We need to solve the mystery of Glenn and the motorcycle.
Speaker 2: Seriously is that?
Speaker 1: I've been thinking about this off the air, and I have a theory because who else is notorious for driving a motorcycle around the traveling Glenn must be his son CRU's in the highways stealing women's hearts at night, just like his daddy did back in the day. Yes, I guess we've never done a double date second date. This is interesting. There's no Roy, Jacqueline. Would you be up for doing a twofer along with Brooke and Roy? If we can get Kenny to agree to this, I'm.
Speaker 5: Not sure about.
Speaker 3: You could turn it down. I'm also down, and I'm also kind of pissed. I get the old guy, Roy, and you get the young one.
Speaker 1: I'm sure you guys can work out an arrangement where you could swap halfway through the night or anything goes with Roy.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's concentrate on Wait, what's the guy's name now, Chris, No.
Speaker 1: It's Kenny Kenn. You gotta focus on Kenny with his dog.
Speaker 5: Kevin.
Speaker 1: Kenny is the one that she met when he walked into her coffee shop the other day, made a comment about her foam art. So let's try and get that connection back.
Speaker 3: Because after that text, about that weird text he said about Glenn, this has to be just some misunderstanding that's happening.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it's so random.
Speaker 5: Maybe he accidentally texted the wrong person.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he could have been texting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and maybe he's embarrassed because he feels like he looked like an idiot. So yeah, let's give him a call and see what he has to say. Here we go. Hello, Hey, we're looking for Kenny.
Speaker 6: Mister Kenny.
Speaker 1: Hey, Kenny, nice to meet you. We're a radio show called Brook and Jeffrey in the Morning. Hi.
Speaker 2: What Yeah, oh man, this is your show. It's your favorite radio show.
Speaker 1: You're on the radio right now.
Speaker 6: Why are you calling me a great question?
Speaker 1: Yeah, because we're doing something called a second Date Update, where we try to help our listeners work on their love connections with people that they mete out in the world, and you were somebody's love connection recently hopefully.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well it sounds like you had a nice connection anyway.
Speaker 1: It's a girl named Jacqueline. Okay, remember you went to a coffee shop and you kind of had a nice little conversation with a barista there named Jacqueline and you made a comment about like her foam art.
Speaker 6: Yeah, maybe you.
Speaker 2: Said it looked like your dog Kevin.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I do that. I do that a lot. Actually, that's a line. Why I've done that a few times?
Speaker 4: I mean, it is really funny and unique.
Speaker 2: But even if you've done it a few times, like, yeah.
Speaker 6: Well it's a few times, but you know it's been more like a few times this week actually, yea, how often do you do.
Speaker 2: Are you drinking that munch coffee? And why?
Speaker 3: Like why even why even ask her to sit with you? Why even ask if she's single?
Speaker 1: If you well, he can't even remember who this is.
Speaker 3: But like, if he's doing this all the time, what's your intention? It's obviously not to like have a relationship.
Speaker 6: Well, I'm actually really involved with a social media challenge right now.
Speaker 1: Social media might be part of it. What are you talking about?
Speaker 2: Wait, Jacqueline was part of it.
Speaker 6: Jacqueline was a part of that, even though you know, I don't know exactly who she was.
Speaker 1: Okay, what tell us? What what is this challenge that you're doing.
Speaker 6: It's a it's a challenge to help me be more social and improve my social skills with other people.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna say so far talking to you, I'm not sure it's working.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean you come off almost like a player, bro, like a social time.
Speaker 1: What is the challenge? I don't understand.
Speaker 6: Well, I have to meet and engage with ten new people every day that I don't know.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay.
Speaker 6: In the video it says that maistas are friendly and easy to talk to. So I tend to hit a lot of coffee.
Speaker 1: So you're going to a lot of coffee places just striking up conversations, hoping to improve your own social skills if you're not trying to pick up women necessarily, just be a better talker.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she read that totally wrong. You know that. I mean, like, you guys were too smooth. Yeah, but what did you think when she was texting you? And who the hell is Glenn?
Speaker 1: Yeah? She said, she said there was a message that you said about someone named Glenn in his motorcycle? Do you know what that is? Yeah?
Speaker 6: That was actually meant for someone else if I did that. Yeah, we thought that. I was talking to a lot of people at once.
Speaker 1: So are you single? Can I ask that?
Speaker 6: Yes? I'm single? Are you going?
Speaker 1: Wait?
Speaker 2: Are you interested in dating any of these strangers that you talked to?
Speaker 1: Or are you just looking for like a million new friends? Because Brooke bought all of her friends on Instagram, so that probably be an easier route to go just a recommendation.
Speaker 2: I know someone who did, but that was.
Speaker 1: What's the goal here?
Speaker 3: Love?
Speaker 1: We're just friendship.
Speaker 6: I can't say I'm not interested in love. I am interested in love, but I'm really engaged in this challenge that I'm doing and I want to see it all the way through and I want to finish it. And it's taken up so much of my time that I haven't really had any to go out on dates at all.
Speaker 1: What I'm interesting? Okay, how long until you finish it? How much longer?
Speaker 6: I got a little over three weeks left.
Speaker 4: That's a lie for you.
Speaker 3: You could like meet a waiter at the same time you're on a date with somebody.
Speaker 2: Maybe, no, try to you know, one.
Speaker 1: Stone wants you to quit on your challenge. But I have a better idea. Let's try and keep improving on your social skills by reconnecting you with that barista, Jacqueline, because he's on the other line right now wanting to talk to you. Oh okay, yeah, sorry, that's how the segment works. Jacqueline, you're there, Yeah, I'm here.
Speaker 2: How are you feeling? I'm okay, a little disappointed.
Speaker 6: I'm You're sorry that we got a misunderstanding going. I mean, I didn't mean to let it get to that point. Like I said, I'm just trying to work on my social skills and complete this challenge.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Just hearing your voice though and thinking about it, it has taking me back some. He's a lovely girl I talked to with the blonde, curly hair.
Speaker 5: I'm I'm at.
Speaker 4: But it's not a light blonde.
Speaker 1: Okay, if it makes you feel any better, Jacqueline Brooke has worked with people here for years and can't remember their names or who they are.
Speaker 3: If I saw Jeffrey in a grocery store, I just walk right past it, no idea.
Speaker 1: I walked back to myself.
Speaker 5: If I could, I have to ask you a question really quick.
Speaker 1: Oh, okay, go ahead.
Speaker 5: Do you really have a dog that's named Kevin, like Kevin from the office.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I do actually have a dog.
Speaker 1: There was a long pause.
Speaker 2: Have the dog hold up a newspaper?
Speaker 4: I need a picture.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's just a social skills kicking that might have been part of it. But look, the whole reason that we do these calls is to try and set you up on another date. So we would offer to send you guys out one more time to another restaurant or maybe another coffee shop, and we would pay for it.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think the thing is that you really need to think about here.
Speaker 3: I keep wanting to call you Kevin Kenny.
Speaker 2: Is the challenge worked?
Speaker 3: Like you, you've made real connections, you have someone who wants to go further. I would say that's winning the challenge that you wouldn't even need to do the three weeks because because you've already improved so much, like she wants to be out with you.
Speaker 6: I mean, I'm glad y'all think it's improving my skills and everything, but uh yeah, I really want to see it through to the end, you know, I'm not a quitter.
Speaker 4: That doesn't mean you have to say no to the date though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll still send you out with Jacqueline though after your challenge is done in three weeks.
Speaker 6: Well that might be really nice.
Speaker 1: Okay, we got to it might be nice?
Speaker 2: Is that? Are you willing to.
Speaker 1: Wait for that, Jacqueline?
Speaker 5: I mean, I still feel like the conversations we've had have been good, and even if it just sends it being a friend thing, I'd still like to go out in the weeks if you want to.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, she.
Speaker 4: Just wants to be around you, no matter what the vibe is.
Speaker 6: Bro.
Speaker 1: All right, well I'm calling it. This is a successful second date update. We're going to reconnect to you too.
Speaker 6: Okay, Okay, that sounds awesome.
Speaker 1: Awesome, And by the way, Kenny, I just need to ask, do you possibly have a father named Roy? If you do, tell him to call in for a double date update, he'll know what it is, sook Jeffrey in the morning. Man, this is a great example of you know, sometimes all you have to do in life is just step outside of your comfort zone, try something new, and then naturally, love will just find its way in.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it's love but or friendship or something.
Speaker 3: But yes, yeah, I agree with your sentiment, Like I think this was so cute.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, you know, he was just trying to push himself out of his normal comfort zone and he did.
Speaker 2: A great job. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean he has multiple people texted him. I'm guessing she's not the only one that thinks that he's flirting with her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, probably know what I mean.
Speaker 7: It's funny because he's not trying, which makes girls like guys when they don't try to.
Speaker 4: He's literally not trying. He just wants to talk to somebody and move on.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: So vicariously, girls are like hello, yeah, to get Yeah, I swear it works.
Speaker 1: Just push yourself out there into something you don't normally do. So, Jose, what do you think skydiving classes movie it worked for Kenny?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, I don't think that that's what Kenny instruct.
Speaker 6: Her front.
Speaker 4: Oh great, my my girlfriend is gonna see me pee my parents.
Speaker 1: But whatever you want, we can help you out with your dating life, at least try to. You can email the show at broken Jeffrey. We'll call that person who isn't calling you back.