Speaker 1: Welcome to Good Game with Sarah Spain, where we're looking for two more friends to help us recreate the Indiana Fever's team handshake, a five way DApp innovation at its finest. How did we not think of that before? On today's show, we'll talk about the historic performance we just saw at the Paralympics, check in on your faith in the Las Vegas Aces, ask if you ever think about dying at a basketball game, and dive deep into the special Rookie Season's Angel recent Kaitlin Clarker have it. It's all coming up right after this Welcome back slices, Happy Friday. Here's what you need to know today. Some really awesome news out of the Paralympics. As Zakiya Kudu Dotti, who you heard Alex mention a couple episodes ago. That's the taekwond athlete that the International Paralympic Committee helped escape from the Taliban. Well, she just won the first ever Paralympic medal for the refugee Paralympic team, despite the ban on women in sports in her country, in the first race of their first Paralympic Games. On Thursday, American swimmer Christy Rolly Crossley, who uses they, them and she her pronouns, broke a world record. The thirty seven year old single mother of three posted a world record time of twenty seven point two eight seconds in the fifty meter freestyle for the S nine class, which includes athletes with weakness, limb loss or coordination difficulties. A few hours later, Raleigh Crossley won silver in the final, finishing point two eight seconds behind China's Chen Yee, who set her own world record for her classification. Athletes classified as both S nine and S ten compete against each other in this event. Raley Crossley is expected to contend for a medal in three more individual events, plus one or two relays ahead of the Paralympics. The New York Times profile Rally Crossley. We'll link to it in our show notes. Because their disability isn't always as obvious as some of their competitors, she's had to face accusations of gaming the classification system. Quote. I've become a lightning rod of sorts where people are like, she's so fast, and they I don't see the disability all the time. End quote. Remember Sarah Adam, the American wheelchair rugby player Alex told you about earlier this week. While she's the first woman to represent the US in the mixed gender sport of wheelchair rugby, and she scored six tries in Team USA's fifty one forty eight win over rival Canada on Thursday. Plenty more Paralympic events to look forward to this weekend. We'll let you know what's on deck in our show notes to Hoops. There are four WNBA games today, all with playoff implications. We'll give you the full schedule in our notes, but we've got a spotlight one matchup in particular. It's the Indiana Fever at the Chicago Sky seven thirty Eastern on Ion and League Pass Caitlin Clark versus Angel Reese for the last time in the regular season, Number seven versus Number eight. It's a duel between two squads with playoff hopes that are trending in sort of opposite directions. This one's going to have some fireworks, and if Clark and Reeser involved, probably some records are going to get broken. To something else to note, this game is going to be the Sky's first ever Barbie theme game. Chicago became the first WNBA franchise to partner with Mattel's Barbie this week, and per a team press release, the partnership is meant to celebrate women athletes, with the goal of championing women in sports and encouraging girls to pursue their athletic passions. Smart move when you got Shytown Barbie aka Bayou Barbie aka Podcast Barbie aka Angel Reese on the roster. Also some more news out of Chicago. Point guard Dana Evans is looking to leave the franchise. Evans first drived in twenty twenty one in a trade orchestrated by then head coach and GM James Wade. After Wade's departure, as well as that a veteran point guard, Courtney Vanderslute, many anticipated it would be evans time to shine this season. With the emergence of Kennedy Carter and Lindsay Allen, her minutes have dwindled, but there's been some conflicting messages in the last couple of days. Here's how it unfolded. So during media availability on Wednesday, Evans told reporters that she wasn't happy with her role on the team, but said she had not requested a trade. But on Thursday, She took to Twitter to clarify, writing, quote, I initiated trade talk a couple months ago, but after the Olympic break, I said I would go ahead and finish the season strong with Chicago end quote. So it seems like Evan's sustaining put for now, all right. So we've got those four games tonight, and then there are six WNBA games this weekend, including two big ones on Sunday, a three to four matchup between the Seattle Storm and the Connecticut Sun at one pm Eastern, and then at four pm Eastern, a five to six matchup between the Las Vegas Aces and the Phoenix Mercury to the NWSL. The Case Current have acquired defender Kayla Sharples in a trade with BAFC in exchange for keeper Jordan Silkowitz and fifteen thousand dollars in allocation funds. With the move, BAFC get to shore up their depleted goalkeeper position and eliminate the position redundancy created when they acquired defender Abby Dalkemper via a trade on Monday. Sharples, who spent most of her career with the Chicago Red Stars before leaving a free agency to launch the expansion BAFC team heads back to the Midwest and joins a third place KC squad. BFC are in action tonight, actually against the fifth seed Portland Thorns at ten pm Eastern. That's streaming on Prime Video. There are six more NWSL games over the weekend, including the top of the table Orlando Pride hosting number four seeded New York New Jersey Gotham f s Orlando's riding an eighteen game unbeaten regular season streak dating back to last year. That game is at six pm Eastern on Sunday, streaming on Paramount Plus. In USL Super League news, Brooklyn's home opener on Saturday against the Carolina Ascent has been postponed. So during installation of the soccer turf, the league and the team identified that there were deficiencies making the field surface unplayable and had to postpone the game. No makeup date has yet been announced, and there are no other USL games on the schedule for this weekend. They'll get back an action next week. Finally, one last piece of soccer news, so, speaking of the USL Super League, there's a league below that the USLW a pre professional league and the Minnesota Aurora is in that league. They're the largest independent, community owned women's soccer team in the US, and they're doing another round of selling community shares. So if you've ever wanted to own a soccer team, for one hundred bucks, you can be an investor and part of that club. We'll throw a link in our show notes if you want to get involved. In volleyball news, Nebraska's berg and Riley has signed an NIL deal with Red Bull, joining Texas superstar Madison Skinner and pitt National Freshman of the Year Olivia Babcock, who also have been given wings. In tennis. The US Open rolls on this weekend. Results are coming too fast and too furious to update here, but we'll be sure to link to a schedule in our show notes so you can keep up. The opens b Open campaign continues this weekend, too. Started in twenty twenty, it's a social responsibility campaign that amplifies the voices of underrepresented communities. So the HBCU and LGBTQIA plus communities have already been honored, and this weekend's events include celebrations of the Hispanic and Latin American communities and Asian American Pacific Islander culture. We're going to take a quick break on a scale of ted Lasso to the nineteen eighty miracle on ice. What's your level of belief? We'll find out next Welcome back my little slices. Yesterday we asked y'all to weigh in on the state of the Las Vegas Aces and while some of you have lost all altogether at a three pet, others refused to stop believing. We asked, if you had to put a percentage on it, what odds do you give in the aces to win it all again? We got everything from zero percent all the way up to seventy five percent. At Clean forty five said twenty three percent. Three peten ain't easy and had a gift of my beloved Michael Jordan love that at Coorea, Cubs fans said seventy five percent because they have the MVP of the w at jd Man didn't give a percentage, but did give some solid analysis saying they're doing the classic post title hangover team that flips the switch at the right time, so it sounds like he still believes. And finally at our d Mansini came through with the gold quote twenty two percent because three peating is hard and twenty two is the one you can count on for sure when it comes to this team. End quote. Ain't that the damn truth? Asia Wilson right now trying to put this whole team on her back, which is what led us to this conversation in the first place. Forty two points the other night and an Aces loss that dropped them down to fifth at the time, and they got to battle their way back if they want to get a three peat. Now, before we even get into three peats, let's do a quick refresher on the history of just back to back titles in the WNBA. So when the Aces won last year, they became the first team to go back to back since the Sparks did it in one and o two, And the only team in WNBA history to three peat has been the Houston Comets. They won the first four titles in league history ninety seven to two thousand. So this is an enormous feat that they're trying. But they certainly have the talent for it. It's just a matter of whether they can put it all together. So, Mesh, can they do it? What's your percentage of belief right now? Sarah I've got to go a little bit lower than everybody else.
Speaker 2: I gotta give them a fifteen percent chance, and I'm gonna tell you.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna tell you why. Okay. I've considered a lot of things.
Speaker 2: First and foremost, how many other teams I think actually have a shot at winning a title, And in my opinion, there's five. I agree with Tarika Foster Rasby. If you haven't listened to that episode, go back and listen to that episode. But I think the Liberty, the Links, the Sun, and the Fever have a chance. And of those teams, I put them in there because I think they got a little bit the magic going on. I'm starting to believe in the Fever, Okay, but I think of those five teams, Vegas has like the fourth best chance, So I'm putting them at fifteen. Fever probably a like ten.
Speaker 1: Honestly, by the way, I mean, the Fever also just got the goat bump of Simone Biles right and Gabby Thomas showing up at their game, and like I think touching them they might have rubbed off like an extra couple percentage points ye of likelihood of winning.
Speaker 2: It's like the cheese touch, but for greatness. People my age will know what that is.
Speaker 1: Sorry, what wait? Hold on? What's the cheese touch? Oh?
Speaker 2: If I'm not mistaken, is that Captain underpants? Y'all tweet at us?
Speaker 1: Okay, I've actually seen half of a cap underpants with my nephew, and I've touched a lot of cheese. I think it's actually diary but wimpy kid though, Diary of a wimpy kid yep. Based on my immediate Google search, I'm now going to look into cheese touching a carry on.
Speaker 2: The other thing for me that I had to consider is we keep comparing this ACES team to the Aces team of last year, and they're just not the same team. The circumstances are not the same. And if you look at the numbers, last year, they averaged like almost ninety three points a game, held opponents to eighty ish.
Speaker 1: This year they're averaging eighty.
Speaker 2: Seven, so not bad, but opponents are like right at their heels averaging like eighty three, so you know, the margin for error is a lot smaller. And last year we have four players averaging double figures. This year they don't have that. So you know, Becky said it herself, she doesn't think this team's played its best ball. I don't think they have either, But I don't know if their best basketball is going to be enough because other teams have also added some pieces. You look at Minnesota, They've got a lot of Smith, Courtney Williams, Indy Caitlin Clark. Obviously, I'm a big fan of Temmy fag Benle Connecticut with Rena Maybrie New York, their whole bench is better. So I think Vegas might still have that same depth problem we talked about a lot last year.
Speaker 1: But end of the day, they did come away with the title. So what do I know? I want to ask you real quick about the four players in double digits. Chelsea Gray last year was sitting solidly at fifteen a game, and this year she's just not on that same pace. She's She's actually sixth on the team and scoring at just eight a game. Do you think that's entirely about her injury or you're seeing something different in this team in terms of style strategy. You know, the way the players are getting set up where they're just not going to her as much. I think she's still settling in.
Speaker 2: I mean, if you even look at how she performed during the Olympics, she was still Chelsea Gray, but she wasn't point guard level Chelsea Gray. And so I still think again, because there's so many situational things that have changed. Asia Wilson is still doing Agie Wilson things, but you're not getting the production from Kelsey. You're not getting the same production from Jackie. Even though you get it in moments, it's not as consistent as it was. And for Chelsea Great, you know, she's the point God, she can dish that thing. That's her number one, A one in her game. And I mean as far as the scoring goes, I think that happens once she's able to open up the floor for the rest of her teammates. And because that's been so hard right now, we're also seeing her numbers in the points for a game.
Speaker 1: Call them struggle a little bit. But I haven't lost all faith. Haven't lost all faith. Yeah, she's about to assists down from last year's average as well, which might just be about other teammates finishing or like you said, just getting in a rhythm. Also worth doting that this is a team that had a lot of Olympians on it. They're so they're tired they're so tired. The little ice bath a little They're like mesh in college. They just want to rest on defense instead of showing up. Oh, that's when they're That's when they're getting their legs. They're getting their legs back. You know. They They might be exactly what our one listener said, which is hangover title team that comes back and turns it on right when it matters most. I would not be surprised at all. But I also I'm looking around the league and seeing other teams that just look better right now, Al, what's your take? What's your percentage of belief in the Aces?
Speaker 3: Nine five percent?
Speaker 1: Wow? Oh is she coming here to take? Al? Do we get an analysis or you just gonna drop that and walk away.
Speaker 3: I think that this Ace's team loves nothing more than people underestimating them. I think it fuels them. I always go back. There was this great headline, a nineteen ninety nine Denver Post story, Your Girl Loves the Archives. The headline was Becky Hammond, Everybody's all American. No one will ever underestimate Colorado State's Becky Hammond ever again. Oh a few weeks after that, she went undrafted, And I think that energy is just something in the locker room that fourth place vote Asia Wilson always has. They just want people to count them out so they can come back and prove everyone wrong.
Speaker 1: Okay, some of the twer just to our questions is going to end up on their pinterests Eaten good Forward, which we established on the show, might replace the bulletin board at the very least screenshots. The screenshots of those zero percentage points are going up in the Ace's locker room for sure. I like that analysis, Alex. We got to take another break when we come back the return of No Dumb Questions. Welcome back, Slices. It's time once again for no dumb questions, and we got a couple of not dumb questions from you, slices. Let's start with certified slice Alyssa Obradovich, who's back with another one. She wrote, I've got a burning question after Tonight's huge Fever win over the Sun, the real fans want to know, assuming the Sun spends the night in Indianapolis, does Carrington stay at the team hotel or with Smith Alyssa from Champagne, Illinois. Okay, this is a juicy wanta lessa. Let's dive in for context, Dja Carrington at the Connecticut Sun is dating Indiana Fever forward Melissa Smith. Their relationship dates back to their college days playing together at Baylor. They were on a break at one point last year and they were like off, but they're back together now. They're posting supportive messages on Insta about each other, and they're making little cutesy videos together, so they seem quite happy. So your question is, did Djna skip the team hotel with the fever and crash at Smith's house in Indy? Meish? This topic is hoops and gay shit both of your accounts. What say you? That's a mess?
Speaker 2: Oh, so per Djna's TikTok if you haven't already looked.
Speaker 1: Oh, we did some research. Yeah, we did some research.
Speaker 2: Okay, we can't prepared today at DJA Carrington, she's not very hard to find on there. But she stayed with Melissa the night before the game, and did it get ready with me from Melyssa's house. So i'd rephrase your questions. Did Carrington stay at the team hote to or spent another night?
Speaker 1: Oh that is some good research. Also, I am way too competitive for that shit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's literally what I was about to say, I'm like, kudos to y'all, because if I'm planning against my girl the next day.
Speaker 1: We're not together. No, I had the tiger all night. I'm thinking about ways to destroy you. Mm hmm, I'm tearing you apart. I'm sorry. But also, yeah, they don't see each other that much, so I guess, like, does your horniness override your competitiveness? And I don't know. I do have to say in college occasionally, if I was like in the mood to get some action, I would have to like tamper down my tendency to get a little aggressive at things like beer pong and try to be a little more lady like. So I might seem like someone someone would want to take back to their dorm slash frat.
Speaker 2: This TMI is that over.
Speaker 1: Here you ain't even got to worry about that, That's right. I mean, listen, I would make a great lesbian. I think my competitiveness would just add to my attractiveness, not as much with the dudes I've found. Goodness gracious. Yeah, I'm going to say that she stayed there both nights because you know what, if you're always traveling in different places, you just want to you just want to hang and spend some special time. It's like on The Bachelor of the Bachelorette when they get to go to the fantasy suite and it's like, even if they're not going to bone, you still need to take that time to just like hang and like catch up. I'm sure that that's exactly what happens.
Speaker 2: I don't know nothing about the batch.
Speaker 1: That's all right, Moving on, here's our not dumb question number two at Aaron Underscore raw tagus on X and asked for no dumb questions. Now that Caitlin Clark holds the most threes by a rook and Angelica has a consecutive double double streak record, how many records do these rooks have? Well, listen, we actually have a whole list of their records courtesy of the good folks at across the timeline. You can follow them and should follow them on X at WBB timeline. And I hope you're ready, Aaron, because to be honest, if we listed all of their accomplishments, we would be here for hours like marathon tantric stingstyle. If you know, you know, and by the I want you all to know that Misha didn't know because she interrupted our recording to be like stingstyle, is that like bullet points in the list, No mesh. Sting, the musician, frontman for the Police and excellent solo artists as well, is known for publicly discussing his marathon sex sessions that go on for hours. They are called tantric sex. And now you know as well, and now we all know. Okay, let me give you the highlights from these records and we'll put the full list in our show notes. Here we go. Angel Reese rookie record for the most games with fifteen plus rebounds, the first double double by a rookie in a WNBA All Star Game, WNBA record for consecutive games with a double double in a single season, first player in WNBA history to post twenty plus rebounds in three consecutive games. Caitlin Clark rookie record for most assists in a season, Indiana Fever single game assist record. As you mentioned, Aaron the rookie record for mad threes. Also the fastest player to four hundred points and two hundred assists, faster than tier Sabrina Enescu, Don Staley. Pretty good and like I said, the list goes on on and on, so go check it out in the notes. It's been a truly epic summer for these two sensational rookies, and I'm hoping their teams hang on to those last two playoff spots because we'll get to see them the postseason. Then two, we love that you're listening, but we want you to get in the game every day too, So our good gameplay of the day is more not dumb questions. Send him to us. That was super fun. I want to do more of that, So more not dumb questions sports related, not sports related. We'll answer them all. You just heard me. I'll answer anything. So hit us up good game at wondermedianetwork dot com or leave us a voicemail at eight seven to two two oh four fifty seventy, or hit us up on social and don't forget to subscribe, rate and review. It's so easy. Slice is just watch Sam Coffee's beat Squish Mellow rating five out of five stars. Review. A family friend of the US women's national team gold medal winning player Sam Coffee sent her a very special Squish Mellow Stuffy in honor of their win. It was a beat and then They sewed a gold metal onto it and wrote a card saying, way to beat everybody so good. We love a pun, We love a stuffy heck, we also love beats, except for that thing where you forgot you eight beats and then you think you're dying when you poop out red. Beat shits. Shout out to Portlandia nine to one beats, emergency sketch beats, But what's your problem? We'll link to it in case you're not familiar. But I digress beat stuffy with a cute message, adorbes. We're into it now. It's your turn, rate and review. Thanks for listening, slicnes. See you Monday for a very special Labor Day episode that you're not gonna want to miss. Good Game, Sarah Adam, Good Game, Christy Roley, Crossley, fuck you, Beat Shits. Good Game with Sarah Spain is an iHeart women's sports production in partnership with Deep Blue Sports and Entertainment. You can find us on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. Production by Wonder Media Network, our producers are Alex Azzi and Misha Jones. Our executive producers are Christina Everett. Jesse Katz, Jenny Kaplan, and Emily Rudder. Our editors are Jenny Kaplan, Emily Rudder, Brittany Martinez and Grace Lynch. Production assistants from Lucy Jones and I'm Your Host Sarah Spain