Speaker 1: Thank you so much everybody for joining us on this park Hopper episode in man, oh man, are we cracking the diary open again today, the diary that probably never should have been written and certainly shouldn't have been emailed to everybody in the school and then turned into a book. But we are going to open the cover of that book a little bit today to find out what it was like to shoot this movie. Of course, we're talking about Reading and Weep, and we have a great guest here today, somebody who played.
Speaker 2: Lindsay on Read It and Weep.
Speaker 1: So hopefully it's going to have all the tea of everything going on on the set and everything.
Speaker 2: Can you please help us? Welcome Marquise C. Brown.
Speaker 3: Hello, Hello, how are you doing? Wow? How are you all?
Speaker 2: We're well, Thank you so much for joining us. We're so happy that you're here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is great.
Speaker 2: Thanks, this is totally cool. So we watched Read and Weep.
Speaker 4: Yes, I heard, and we we of course want to get into your whole career, but since we're here to celebrate the dcom, we have to start with Reading and Weep.
Speaker 1: Sure, and we always usually start with the same kind of question, how did you first hear about this project. Was this a regular audition that kind of just came through an agent or tell us about it?
Speaker 3: Yes, came through my agent. I Actually, funny enough, I auditioned for high school musical maybe like I don't know, a couple weeks before, maybe a month before, like at that time, I can't remember. It's like years ago at this.
Speaker 2: Point, but still.
Speaker 3: It really does. But I ought to auditioned for that. I was so prepared, you know, in your mind, you're like you spent all the time preparing for the audition. I go in and I just bomb it, like completely bum Oh, can't remember my lines. I'm getting nervous, and it's like it's those random times where I always found it was random times where I'm actually getting nervous. You think that you're so prepared, You're like, oh, yeah, nothing, get it there, can I can I start again?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Sure, go ahead and start again, start again. Nothing leave the audition, like call my agency, Hey, is there any way that I can get back in? Like the audition went really bad, like we'll try, but like nothing came up. Bit then this one region we came up and it was actually supposed to be cold. Originally it was stated to be how my private personal journal became a bestseller, right, Okay, so then the name change, but this one came up, auditioned for it, and then things went well. And my audition scene was actually the makeup scene.
Speaker 5: Where okay, yes, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Where the girls are outside that one.
Speaker 2: I remember that one.
Speaker 3: I think it was another one, but that's the one that I actually remember. As far as the audition is concerned.
Speaker 1: Okay, key, was there any part of you that when you finished the audition, we're like, and now, very briefly, I'm just going to redo my audition from high school musical.
Speaker 3: You don't mind, I know, I'm still gonna just need to do those that script.
Speaker 5: Weirdly enough, I've got the size and five six.
Speaker 2: What is happening?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 3: I worked out the way that it did.
Speaker 2: It worked out perfectly.
Speaker 5: Absolutely.
Speaker 7: It is so hard to go into like auditions that you kind of especially at the Channel, right and during the time that the Channel was absolutely a huge stepping stone for so many people that it put a lot of pressure. I always said that, like I, even after you know, you book the whatever movie or show, if you go up to that twenty first floor, you get the bubble guts of like even if you're not auditioning, you're just going to say hi to somebody, Yeah, bring them a coffee, and you're like.
Speaker 5: So much pressure you on that twenty first floor?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah?
Speaker 2: How many?
Speaker 6: Now?
Speaker 1: How many Disney product? Was high school musical? The first thing you'd read for for Disney? Oh?
Speaker 3: No, I mean I've been I've been acting since I was five, So I've done some auditions for Disney, but like as far as like that big of a role, Yes, that was the Folks.
Speaker 7: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well you started at five? So how did you find the entertainment industry? How did you get into the business?
Speaker 3: I begged my mother and.
Speaker 2: Me too, I how did that work?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I begged her for a long time, And there was one day I went and got in the bath it was bath time, and came out and I covered myself in baby powder. And that's all that I remembered of the story. And then later on my mom told me that she's like, no, you did your old lady character who I later named Winnie Joe when I was a part of an improv sketch group. But I did my old lady character and put on this show in my jasmine sleep set also, yes, of course in the living room, and then I did some kind of entertainment for them and my mom was like, fine, okay, we'll figure it out. So, yeah, we had a family member that was in the industry, like no longer part of that f family any longer, but still family member in the industry that helped my mom like walk us through the process. And then I booked my first Disney commercial at six.
Speaker 1: Okay, Wow, did you grow up in California?
Speaker 2: Were you near the industry? Yes?
Speaker 3: Born and raised?
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay.
Speaker 1: I always wonder about that because I grew up in Connecticut, and the begging in Connecticut was different because it was like my parents going, I.
Speaker 2: Don't where do you want to go? You have to go to New York City. You have to that.
Speaker 1: Whereas yeah, I guess if you grew up around the industry, it's a little easier, but you still got to get in.
Speaker 3: Yes, so did you travel out here then?
Speaker 2: In that case I did? Well? I well, no, I would.
Speaker 1: I started to go down to New York City and was auditioning and worked in New York from the time I was eleven to the time I was sixteen, and then I would come out here occasionally for screen test, but then I got a show called Boy Meets World in ninety three and moved out here for that when I was sixteen, so it's been there ever since. So I'm thirty over thirty years here now.
Speaker 2: But okay, yeah, it was it's.
Speaker 1: Been a long time. Were you a Disney fan? Oh, where you started auditioning for it?
Speaker 2: Of course?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: You could not tell me that I was not going to be doing like the Disney logo like I would practice with the wires, Oh my god, yes, Oh my gosh. Yeah. So even when I booked Red in a week, I just knew my life was going to change. Much like a lot of projects that we booked. It's like, oh my gosh, finally I'm gonna be able to do the Disney you know. It's like it didn't happen that way, but like I am glad that it didn't because it allowed me to really ground myself and get to know myself as opposed to having this type of stardom and then having to figure myself out through that time. But there were some moments that I had where some kids did recognize me, which was pretty cool, but also like a little a little nerve wrecking, because all of a sudden you're thinking that you're just like like I was a part of the puppet ministry and up going to like some elementary schools in the group, and the first time, I believe, I can't remember it was at my old elementary school. We end up going to and we do our whole performance, and then we stand up and introduce ourselves and I just hear kids gasp like and I'm thinking, oh my gosh, they're just excited that we're standing up and showing ourselves. And then it's like, no, had old teachers come up to me, like Marquise, the kids recognize you from the movie.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, oh, oh that's awesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it's really horrible.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 7: Wow. Well have you felt the resurgence of of the d coms with them being released on Disney Channel Plus?
Speaker 5: Have you have you felt that resurgence and all that yet? Not yet?
Speaker 3: I Mean I kind of felt something when I did a podcast war nets to Classified and just to see the comments come up of like, oh my gosh, you're my favorite character and things like that. So I imagine in this podcast being released, maybe it'll be like, oh my gosh, I so like that's really cool.
Speaker 7: It's definitely one that comes up, you know, because you run into people or on Instagram things like that, they kind of put in requests of like that you done this one and read it and wheat for sure is something that has been.
Speaker 5: Brought up, like yeah, absolutely, I mean I love that.
Speaker 7: I think they love people probably recognize the book as well, which I think is a big, a big thing and not always common with d coms. But you know, Will and I we went through everything. I loved it because I felt like it was such a.
Speaker 5: Good girl movie.
Speaker 7: It really like hits like home with things that you go through as a as a teenage girl. And so I think a lot of fans really were able to connect with it on that way for sure.
Speaker 1: Which is why as a forty eight year old man, I had a little bit of trouble, had a little bit sometimes like trying It's like, I'm not even gonna try to put myself in the shoes of a twelve year old girl, right.
Speaker 5: Absolutely. Have you watched it recently?
Speaker 3: Yes, I didn't end up. I actually watched it last night.
Speaker 5: Oh good.
Speaker 3: I listened to you all's recap on it, which I found so immune because there are things that I just didn't consider while shooting the project. Understandably, I was sixteen at the time, so you know, going back to actually hearing you all talk about it tickled me, and then and then going back to watch it, I'm like, oh, I didn't even notice. Oh yes, I did see that, or you know, so just to see some of the elements, like even remembering how I felt during that time as we were shooting, like there was this take us there. Yeah, it's mainly like the outfits, Like I got into fashion, Like I've been into fashion, So watching some of the outfits come on screen, I'm like, oh, I remember that. Oh I remember that jacket. Like there's this green like mustardy kind of mix of colors, and I'm like, oh I remember that jacket. I love that.
Speaker 5: You see the jacket.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, yes, I got it jack it.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So there's another like black like aviator jacket I got to keep too. So I was really excited to just be able to like dressed up as this character. And there's there are different scenes where we're just kind of walking throughout the set and I that that is the time. That's a project. I learned how to like put my hands in my pocket and walk, you know, so complicated. There you go. And so once I did, I'm like, I just see all these scenes where I'm like walking and talking with my hands in my pocket. You could not tell me that I wasn't doing it.
Speaker 2: That's funny.
Speaker 1: So one of the things you did, you just I have to jump into this because you have a very unique perspective on this because you mentioned Ned's de classified.
Speaker 2: So you both you worked for both Nickelodeon and Disney.
Speaker 3: Yes, I did.
Speaker 2: I did the same thing. I was both a Nickelodeon and Disney fan.
Speaker 1: What differences did you find working for Nickelodeon and working for Disney.
Speaker 3: I wish I could tell you a definitive thing. It was mainly I just remember the people that I worked with, So I don't remember like the network experiences other than understanding like, hey, you can't really go back like you've already you're you're moving forward. I'm like, oh, we but wait, I was a part of that show. I want to go hang out with my friends again. So that's really what I remember. And again, but like once I got to Disney, I just knew that I was going to be drawing the logo, so I was fine. I was pretty stoked about it.
Speaker 2: Did you But did you ever get a chance to do that?
Speaker 5: No, dog, don't feel bad.
Speaker 7: I don't think it was until after the second movie we got to do it.
Speaker 2: Okay, Oh did you draw the logo?
Speaker 3: How was that? Yeah?
Speaker 7: Talk about like feeling like you're absolutely screwing something up, Like as much as I have, I had practiced it because again, I grew up on Disney too, so that was.
Speaker 5: Like a dream come to type thing. Yeah, and you're then you're kind of.
Speaker 7: Going, oh, you can't see what I'm at, Like I couldn't see what it was, so I wasn't sure if I was doing a flower, was drawing like Bully got too nervous.
Speaker 2: Do they give you like lessons or they just kind of yeah.
Speaker 7: I mean they show you what it looks like and where it will be in the corner, but you can't see what you're actually drawing. So it was a little nerve wracking because again, you just know like kids like would would die to do that, like that was like a big thing to do. And then you're going, I definitely screwed that up. So they probably won't use mine.
Speaker 2: We're good.
Speaker 5: Did they use they did?
Speaker 7: They did this, but it did take a while for us to get that honor.
Speaker 5: It took a while.
Speaker 2: You know, I've never done it. Oh, I've been on Disney since I was sixteen. I've never drawn the logo ever.
Speaker 7: No, did they maybe they that maybe that was something after No.
Speaker 2: No, I don't know, but I've I've been done stuff.
Speaker 1: After I've done you know, Impossible and all that did, I was like Testy Channel forever.
Speaker 2: I never got to do any of that stuff. So you're not alone. You're not alone.
Speaker 3: Thank you appreciate it, both know it feels is so like just to hear your voice, will it reminds me of Cam Possible? Oh my gosh, yes?
Speaker 2: Does it make it worse if I do it up here? Is that even like the worst.
Speaker 5: With the guys?
Speaker 3: Great?
Speaker 7: I know, try doing a podcast because it also pretty much everyone that we there's every movie there's been somebody who also did Impossible the point one of his other voiceover stuff, and he goes straight into it, and I just like try to like not.
Speaker 3: Yeah and Sabrina Cheetah Girls. My cousin loved the Cheetah Girls. So, oh my gosh, she was obsessed and she asked or I don't know if she asked me. No, I think I just for a Christmas gift, made her like a little you know those back like back in the day you can like tie the blanket edges together, like I made her one of those, like a cheat. I went to got the cheatah girl, fabric put it together. Gave you that for Christmas. This is really cool to be on with you all.
Speaker 2: Oh that's okay, Well, we're just honored to have you here.
Speaker 1: Yes, So this project is one of a couple now that we've done that's based on a book. Okay, yes, so I think Color of Friendship was based on a book, and I think there was one other based on a book. But did you read the material before you went in? So did you know the whole book or not?
Speaker 2: I did not.
Speaker 3: I did not. No, it was a surprise to me.
Speaker 2: Yes, Oh, it was a surprise even as you were shooting the film. Was it a surprise that it was a book?
Speaker 5: Yes, wow, because it was a pretty big deal.
Speaker 7: When because I'm I've worked with the author, she actually makes a cameo. Did you guys get to meet her at all while.
Speaker 5: She was on set.
Speaker 3: Towards the end.
Speaker 7: Okay, yeah, she was in the restaurant that you guys worked in. I remember, like, yeah, like a patron in the restaurant.
Speaker 2: I didn't notice her.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately, I was. There were some aspects of acting I was pretty oblivious to at that time because I got in just wanting to do the thing, you know, and so like it wasn't until later in life where I had to really develop like the business acumen of it and just kind of being more mindful of all of the other working elements. But at that time, it's like I booked this role. I'm playing Lindsay, I'm saving the whales, you know.
Speaker 7: And to be fair, it was a pretty big cast of young afters, so I imagine you guys were really just having a good time getting to know each other, hanging out on set while they're changing angles, changing lights, things like that. I imagine that it was just a really fun environment for you guys. It was Do you remember what time of year it was that you were filming. Was it was it summertime? Where were you guys in school?
Speaker 5: Were you having to do school during the filming?
Speaker 3: Yes, definitely in school. I'm trying to remember when. I just remember having to leave school for six weeks, and so actually at school, people thought it was super cool because I'm like, they're leaving to school for six weeks. Sure I am, I'm going to Utuah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm really really flame it up in Utah exactly.
Speaker 3: You couldn't tell me, and I don't know if that was it the first time. I think it was like the first time I actually like you into like a downfall of snow, and I was so excited. So there's this picture actually in Jamie's room that is of me and my mom actually took that just playing around with her camera and then we like kind of pass it out at the end towards towards the end of filming, and they end up using it. So when I see it, I'm like, oh, my mom took that picture. That's really lot.
Speaker 2: That's really cool. Were you were you close as a cast.
Speaker 3: Relatively close? I mean we spent enough time together, so yeah, I have good memories, and I remember there are certain moments that I remember, like being in the pizza shop and us just trying to like huddle together for that phone scene, or you know, just certain little sparks of memories that come up, or even the seaweed falling down and having to touch the first time that I was like, oh, I actually don't like the texture of this. They're like stopping around with my little motorcycle boots for the bunnies, and Paul Hohen, the director, end up telling me whatever I said, like he told me that on the spot. So just trying to remember, like, oh, I got to remember these lines as I'm you know, be real and all those things.
Speaker 2: You know, that's so funny.
Speaker 5: Oh man, that's amazing. That sounds like so much fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah you mentioned Utah.
Speaker 1: Yes, so Utah has become a Disney Channel character of its own, Like essentially everything is shot in either Utah or Toronto. Yes, although we just did one that was shot in Puerto Rico, so hey, we're branching out. But you got to shoot in the infamous Murray High.
Speaker 2: What was that like?
Speaker 1: Did you know when you got there that other things had been shot there? Did you recognize it right when you got there?
Speaker 4: Or no?
Speaker 3: I didn't. I wish that I ish that I did. No, I was just it was just like this spectacle of just.
Speaker 7: Being on set, you know, taking over a high school, like yes, in general.
Speaker 3: Yeah exactly, and then also meeting the Pana Baker sisters, like just understanding that too, and like being trying, like trying to just create this community within our set or our cast. That's those are the things I remember. But it definitely felt cool to be leaving school, to be playing, to be in school.
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, right exactly. I'm going to now go pretend that I'm in school, right right, Yeah, did you know who the pan of Bakers were before you had started the film?
Speaker 3: Not really, but the but Danielle look familiar, Okay, yeah.
Speaker 5: Okay, yeah, I think by that that would make sense that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm trying to think you've.
Speaker 5: Done more on the channel, yes, one of the newer things, and tell us of like we've actually.
Speaker 7: Knighted him, Sir Jason Dally, tell us about him all filming. Please tell only good things, because we will not be.
Speaker 5: There's it's incredible. Tell us about filming with him, because that seems like a dream.
Speaker 3: I don't have any negative memories. Yeah, everyone was really great in the cast, and I think it's at that at that time, we're teens and the only thing that really comes to mind is that's just needing to stay focused. Were kids shooting and so just kind of being like, hey, focus, Hey, it's that kind of reminder. Other than that, like it was it was great.
Speaker 7: We're I'll say I got to I got a chance to work with Paul. He's really got such a great energy and vibe. He's good with kids, good with keeping it young, not feeling like, oh gosh, you know, yes, okay, I'm getting in trouble. He's so good at that, and I imagine it was easy to but at the same time because you're just getting to know everyone.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, And I love director directors who are who do work well with kids because they can kind of contribute to that smile or laughter of the joke that participating in and then be like, Okay, guys are great, So now we're going to come back here and do you know I really I think that's such a beneficial addition to filming when you are working with kids, knowing how to collaborate with them like that, because then it makes the environment like easier. You know, it's already tactic already and kids are we.
Speaker 7: Don't know that right, Well, that brings up a really good thing. We've never even asked this now, looking back as an adult, what was the vibe with.
Speaker 5: The parents being on.
Speaker 7: Set right, because did they have how did they sort of, I don't want to say corral them, but you know, keep them where they're not but where they're not, you know, wrangle them to where they're not given their.
Speaker 5: Own director like types because you.
Speaker 7: Know, you're in a world of a lot of mamagers dads that are managers and stuff.
Speaker 5: So how what do you remember of that?
Speaker 7: That's a really good point of that is your parents being close enough.
Speaker 5: To watch, close enough to be.
Speaker 1: Observing you give you the freedom to be an actor.
Speaker 3: Correct, Yeah, yeah, I just remember like parents being kind of close to video village really, and I imagine some of those conversations happened and in between like the cuts and the actions and things. My mom would try to give me some pointers at times, but like at that age, I was sixteen, and you couldn't tell me anything. I was filming a Disney project, like as respectful, as as respectful as possible, because my mom would also give me a look like don't try it, and what.
Speaker 6: You're not a movie star house, don't never forget that.
Speaker 3: I'm so appreciative because had I not had that, I would have gone wild, because, like I said, I was doing a Disney project. What oh my gosh. On the back end, my mind was just like, so I'm really glad, like as hard as it was on the on finishing the project and seeing it come out, and in my mind after that, it was kind of like it kind of got blown over, like it came in and I would tell people it came in between High School Musical one and High School Musical two just kind of got blown right over. And so having that awareness was like a little like a little release of air in the bubble, which you know is good later later in life, but at the time was a little deflating because I'm like, well, I wanted that same excitement. However, thinking about how I was on set and I wasn't a terror, I'm like, I'm not trying to like paint that picture of myself. But you know, like how your mind can get the better of you at times when you think that something really great it is about to happen, especially when it comes to doing something that you've been wanting to do for so long, and how like, oh, this is gonna change my life and you're like, you start to get this bit of like internal bravado and you're like, oh, actually no, you're going back to school. You got to figure out your life. You got to you know.
Speaker 2: It's the equivalent of spending money you haven't earned yet. Yes, it's very much.
Speaker 1: So Yeah, it's like, oh wow, I'm this is already well, I'm gonna buy this, I'm gonna buy that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Wait, I haven't earned any of this money. I know what am I spending? Not at all? Yeah, well, but that's a good So that's a good point.
Speaker 1: So you, I mean, we'll forget about the fact that high school music will change the ballgame for the channel and it put them in a whole new realm of what our projects are going to be.
Speaker 2: But you finished shooting, you said, Shooting went well. Did you watch it when it came out?
Speaker 3: I did.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Did you get like a group of people together and kind.
Speaker 3: Of wat good? Yeah, my friends from high school they came over to my house and we watched it and it was really cool. Like it's all. It was hard, and it's still kind of is hard for me to watch projects that I'm on because of course, like critiquing every little thing and even as I watched this movie last night, I'm like, oh my gosh, couldn't I make any other facial expressions of thurn on my face? The whole time.
Speaker 7: You were just in her intense friends that you were supposed to be the one that thought about things a little bit more than her.
Speaker 5: Let's be honest, she needed you.
Speaker 3: You still shou like, hey girl, that's okay.
Speaker 5: Oh mad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So there's a question that you asked me, and I.
Speaker 2: Just know, I'm just curious about it. If you watched it with everybody said everybody came over your house.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, and like just the support of it, and especially the friends that knew why I left, because it's not like I made this big old announcement like I'm leaving to go film a film, like film something. It was just kind of like my friends knew, Oh, You're leaving to go to Utah to film a Disney project. Oh that's awesome. Everyone else was like, oh you left and I went to school, Yeah, okay, cool, you're back, all right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So the people that knew were excited.
Speaker 1: And now did your You mentioned that you were and we all did this with so many different projects growing up where you're in your mind, you're again spending the money you haven't earned.
Speaker 2: You think you're going to go somewhere.
Speaker 1: But did did your life? We always asked, did your life change after it aired it all?
Speaker 2: Did it? Did it change? Not at all? Did it change a little bit?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: Just tell us about.
Speaker 3: That internally it changed?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Just having to ground myself and realize that this idea that I had imagined for since I was a kid, and now all of a sudden being a part of this network that I thought I was going to like blow up on and that didn't happen. Having to kind of figure out, like, well, what is life really and having to like associate myself within reality and then still go ahead and pursue what it is that I'm wanting to, Like for a moment, like I said, and when I was doing like the Puppet Ministry and going to different elementary schools, like in that capacity, you felt like, oh, whoa, this is awesome. Like I went to another school and that same kind of response happens, like sign some autographs, Like again, you could not tell me that I wasn't doing it signing these autographs for these kids. But outside of that, then because yeah, I went to college at seventeen, so I filmed that at sixteen, went to college at seventeen, and I went to a private school, so I didn't have the flexibility like I was used to in high school and elementary school because of my school system. So I kind of had to take a step back from acting because I wasn't as available. It was more available for like commercials. But then again, I'm telling my agent, hey, I'm only available during this time because of my classes. You're like, hey, you know what, we'll be here.
Speaker 7: You can go to them so many times before they're like, look, yes, if you're not available, you're not available, want to take.
Speaker 2: Some time, right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: And even that having to like surrender to that idea of like, what do you mean wait, wait, I don't have that same relationship to this, and like that's kind of where I am now, which has been an interesting journey but one that's been fulfilling in the process.
Speaker 1: There there becomes when you when you start acting at a very young age, you have a tendency to think that it's who you are, and it's not until you're older that you realize that even though you started young, it's simply what you do.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 7: Wow.
Speaker 1: So I think when you lose yourself in it to the point of well, and we see this all the time with people in the industry, and we see that it takes over. Alcohol takes over our drugs takeovers because well, this is what I am, and now I can't do it anymore.
Speaker 2: They don't want me to do it, so there is no me anymore.
Speaker 1: And it's not no, it's this is what you do, and now you got to go find something else to do. We all at times have to go and find something else to do. Who you are is who you are. What you do is what you do.
Speaker 8: Yes.
Speaker 1: And I think a child actor more than almost most, that line is so muddled, yes, that you you lose yourself because you are You're right, that's your identity as I'm an actor.
Speaker 2: I'm on too. This is what No, it's just what you do.
Speaker 1: I work in a bank, I work, you know, I'm a teacher, I'm a lawyer, I'm a doctor, I'm an actor.
Speaker 2: That's what you do. Who you are is a whole different conversation.
Speaker 1: Completely, But learning that when you're sometimes fifteen or sixteen, sometimes twelve.
Speaker 2: Is super super difficult to do.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's one of the things I talked about at one point was I know that no matter what I do with the rest of my life, and I'm so happy with it. And when I look back at the things that I love, it's the things at the top of the list are my wife, marrying my wife, having my you know, my family around me.
Speaker 2: Those are the things that are important.
Speaker 1: I still know the first line in my obituary is going to be Wilfredell Eric Matthews from Boy Meets World, Cristal will Wilfredell misspelled.
Speaker 2: Eric Matthews from Boy.
Speaker 1: Metsor you know that you're living the first line of your obituary sometimes when you're a teenager. But it's it's it's the people that get out of it and going, hey, I'm that's just what I did, and I loved it or love it still, but that's just what I did, not who I am, and that could be a difficult thing to do. Did you find that when you got to college. Did people recognize you as an actor in college or were you able to kind of completely reidentify yourself while you were there.
Speaker 3: I think I only had maybe one or two people recognize me from college and it was like you look familiar.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, or I.
Speaker 5: Know you're from that one either.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I'm not going to give you like my resume because.
Speaker 2: Now exactly like I'm not going to.
Speaker 3: Be like nope, nope, okay, I don't want to play this game anymore.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Do you know the best way to do it?
Speaker 1: I found the best way to do it is when somebody goes, god, where do I know you from?
Speaker 6: You?
Speaker 2: Just where did you go to high school? And then they'll say their high school name, and you're going, no, it can't be there.
Speaker 1: Well I don't know, and you just want and then then that leaves them going like was it school? Did I know them?
Speaker 2: Yes? It's perfect ask a confusing question back. It works every.
Speaker 5: Time I have to ask this next question.
Speaker 7: Well, first of all, also, I think it's really amazing that you continued your education and then you stay grounded. So many, especially child actors in LA, tend to do homeschooling so quickly, and when I think talk about not having a really easy way to keep yourself grounded is to take yourself out of like the normal social environment that you're in. But moving forward, I have to because I cannot let this interview and without bringing up my favorite show in the world that you got to be.
Speaker 5: On, which was Great's Anatomy. Oh my god, oh my? How was that? How was the cast?
Speaker 2: How was it?
Speaker 5: How was the craft table?
Speaker 7: Was was the catering good?
Speaker 5: How was it? How was it? Why was it so magical?
Speaker 3: Okay, well I got to work with the dog, so that already alone, like so exciting. Yeah me, I just melt for puppies. So there's the craft table. I don't remember, but what comes to mind is just some a different project. I know. Me, I'm just like, eh, something, haven't But I didn't mean much of the cast I met, more of like the interns that were coming on during that season, okay, which were pretty cool. I also was kind of like bummed that I wasn't like more of an intern, but yet still exciting that I got to be a part of Grey's Anatomy because it had been going on for so long and I'm like, what Grays and Natty, this is so freaking exciting. So just being a part was exciting, of course. And what I do remember too is shooting the scene and then at the end the director saying something like, well, now you know what it feels like to be upstaged by a dog.
Speaker 1: I was like, I was, wow, oh, thank you for that and my confidence as an accurate souring.
Speaker 3: Thank you as I'm walking off of set because you just feel cut and we're done. That's a wrap on Marquis.
Speaker 2: Oh awful.
Speaker 3: So that is what I do remember. Other than that, everything else is quite positive.
Speaker 1: I am the last person in the world who's never seen a Grai's anatomy in.
Speaker 2: My entire life.
Speaker 3: Okay, added to.
Speaker 7: The list, added to the list of things he has not thank joyed that our life's wonders.
Speaker 2: Asked Sabrina. What the Harry Potter movies are?
Speaker 5: Like, Okay, I'm there, that's there.
Speaker 3: Come on, I watched one and my grandmother took us to go see it, so like it's sentimental in that regard. Other than that, I'm like, hey, Grandy, you got it, you know, tell.
Speaker 7: Me give me this, give me the the what the Reader's digest ye synopsis later on, exactly because the movie seven hours long.
Speaker 2: You know what it's worth every hour.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you finished college, did you know that you wanted to go back.
Speaker 2: To the industry.
Speaker 1: Was this something that you were you were planning on doing the entire time or was it just a calling that you knew you couldn't get away from.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was I couldn't get away from it. And it was just like going to college was something I just knew I had to do, and it wasn't something that I'm like, oh so passionate about doing, and yet I found a passionate within college. I studied fashion design, so it kind of, you know, contributed to my interest already. So I just felt like, if I'm going to go do it, I'm going to go do something that I want to do because I'm already taking time away from doing the other thing that I want to do, so I'm going to do it. So then coming back to it, I did go to London for the three months after college to do a fashion design internship. Yeah this is great.
Speaker 2: I was just there, just there.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, yeah, it was really great, and I didn't appreciate until I came back to just actually really understand the cultural differences and just the whole lifestyle difference too. So in coming back, that's when I was trying to find my footing again, like Okay, well now what do I do. I got into an acting class, and that teacher ended up telling me and like kind of really calling out, like you need to understand the business aspect of this, and like that's great that you've been doing this since you your kid, but now you need to understand that your agent's work for you, like you don't work for your agents, so you need to be asking them more questions. You need to have your web like your your information up to date. So that kind of helped me have like a new platform of understanding and availability towards acting. So that's when I got into improv and later throughout that class got into an improv troop, which also helped me with acting. And you know, I'm finding it interesting now to have taken a step back from acting in the way in which I had been so accustomed to because right now I consider myself to be like on a long hiatus, like I've not officially retired. I still am available for commercials and I will do an indie project, but I'm not a part of like the audition theatrical audition process, and there's a part of me and that's like I miss it, especially when I'm watching things I'm like, oh yeah, but like I think right now, what kind of fuels my The missing of it is just like the behind the scenes aspects of it, of the community, the creativity, the just the stuff that happens on set really and then you know, because it's like learning how when I went to school and for fashion design, I recognized that I enjoyed coming up with the concept, but then just like the middle part, the meat of it putting together, like picking the fabrics and learning how to sew and all those things, was like, Eh, this isn't as exciting, But being able to see the end product, Oh my gosh, this is fantastic. So I had that same kind of association with acting of like all right, being introduced to the character and then like kind of studying the lines and then the booking and but the audition process is a part of the meat, and then once you actually get to see it at the end, it's like, oh my gosh, this is great. So being able to have that association with like what actually is exciting for me now at this age is just reminding me of like why I got into it, or it's just like where I am now with it and having to allow myself the space to be creatively just more open minded because for so long, starting as a kid, it's like, oh this is what, this is who I am, this is what I'm going to do, and being able to do other creative things. Now it's like, oh no, you just have a creative mind.
Speaker 2: So yeah, great, just need the outlet or you need the outlet. Yeah, well that's great.
Speaker 3: So it's yeah, yeah, it's improv.
Speaker 1: By the way, for any actor out there listening, anybody who wants to be an actor, any actor who wants to hone their craft, there is nothing like improv.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, Yes, it's the best. It is the best. Yes, it really is.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, yes, and I say I miss it. But yet like this is improvised.
Speaker 2: It is, it is, And people don't.
Speaker 3: Consider that when it comes to life, Like they have this idea of like what improv is, and like, yes, depending upon its form, it can be this very structured thing. But like we have for what we're going to talk about, you guys have.
Speaker 2: Much but like, no, yeah that's great, and that's that.
Speaker 1: Nothing helps you with an actor like just getting on stage and just improving. Yah, you're knock you knock down all the walls. You're as vulnerable as you can be and you just go and it's just, Oh, it's the greatest thing in the world.
Speaker 2: Okay. So last question, and it's.
Speaker 1: And it's a very important one, okay. And this is something that we like to ask everybody. And by that, I mean we just realized we should have been out everybody, and you're now the third person that we're going to be.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately true. What was your favorite D com growing up?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 8: Oh, oh, I'm gonna butcher the name zen Xenon.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, because it was good.
Speaker 3: That was with the Spaceship right, Yes.
Speaker 5: But I'm almost convinced this might make you happy.
Speaker 7: I am almost convinced, and I actually probably could look back in our notes, but I think read it and Weeps cafeteria was the same as Xenon's. I almost think the name. Okay, I feel like they decorated a little bit wrong, because you guys have like a full blown food court in your cafeteria.
Speaker 3: You will say that, oh, my gosh, never even thought about it. Looking back on the movie, I'm.
Speaker 6: Like, yeah, it's just a food court at them, all of them. Erica was in this high school for some reason, right, right, man? Could you do one more thing for us? Because I think you deserve it. Can you do the Disney?
Speaker 5: Do the Disney?
Speaker 2: Do the Disney logo for us? See? I see?
Speaker 3: How could you see how difficult that would be.
Speaker 5: I don't even go to the top, go from the tongue.
Speaker 7: So it's like the ear, a little bit the ear.
Speaker 2: Okay, So hopefully somebody who knows something.
Speaker 1: About like effects can take these videos and they're seeing what we're actually drawing, and it's going to be this horrible kind of shape of what i'd tell you.
Speaker 5: It's like, did I just draw a flower?
Speaker 2: Marquise? Thank you so so much for joining.
Speaker 3: Us, you all, this is fantastic and so exciting.
Speaker 1: This is really cool to get kind of all just everything, and it was you know, sometimes sometimes the conversations are more about the com which I liked our conversation, but just kind of about the career and finding yourself as an actor.
Speaker 2: All that stuff was just so so good.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much, and uh hopefully again just so gorgeous.
Speaker 7: Oh my goodness, you're just so gorgeous. I mean, like stunning, stunning.
Speaker 2: I agree with my co host, that's all. I'm thank you so much, and hopefully you'll come back sometime.
Speaker 3: I will love to thank you.
Speaker 2: Okay, good all, right, bye bye. She was great, so good.
Speaker 5: I love interviews. That You're right. We didn't just talk about the DCM. We talked about the realness of being a.
Speaker 7: Part of such a crazy world and industry and the ups and downs and all the in betweens are They are always journeys that people don't anticipate. They think you booked something and then boom, you're off to success.
Speaker 5: That's it looking back, and you know, it's crazy.
Speaker 1: And I mean, and for the vast, vast majority that I could be screwing up the numbers, but it's something like one percent of all actors' work.
Speaker 2: And then of that one percent one percent work again.
Speaker 1: Wow, I mean, it's something the number I could again, I could be off, but the numbers are so minuscule that it's it's crazy.
Speaker 7: And just to get that one job, how hard you have to work and to keep it, how much you have to hone your craft and you have to keep going. And you know, I always say, if you don't have you know we I'm sure you get asked a lot too about putting people wanting thinking, oh, my daughter's so cute, should I put her in the industry, and I'm just like, if your kid doesn't have thick skin, this is not the place for them. It's not healthy for them, it's not a good environment for them.
Speaker 1: They also need to beg like I said, but it's true. It's like, you know, there's a big difference. And I put my kid in the industry because I think my kids carry it for and having to bet. I mean, I had to beg my parents to let me do this.
Speaker 2: Please.
Speaker 7: I love that you had to create a care every phase. I was not interested in pageants at all, but I found out that this one pageant that my friend did, I had to do a seven minute monologue, and that was your agreement with my dad. I was like, if I can get through this seven minute monologue with a mic in front of ten.
Speaker 5: Judges, does that not show you that I can do this?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 4: I can.
Speaker 2: Are you not entertained? Yes?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 5: The other true?
Speaker 1: I love the other thing I love and I know I know that it would be rare and there's going to people out there going, well, of course they're not going to do that. But I think in this day and age, people come on and they talk about their truths on a lot of podcasts, and the thing we haven't heard and I think it's going to be rare to find is somebody come on going.
Speaker 2: I didn't have a good.
Speaker 1: Experience doing a dcom, right, I didn't like my life beforehand, I didn't like shooting it, and I didn't like my life after.
Speaker 2: I don't think you're going to find that because it's such a thing when you're a kid to.
Speaker 3: Want to do a dcom.
Speaker 2: That's people have a great experience doing it.
Speaker 7: Yes, And like I said that, you know, you get your your your Gary marsh and the execs and everyone at the channel, and then they hire incredible directors that that are made to do this. They're made to work with kids, they love working with kids, you know all of that. It's just it's something that I think, all it's a great environment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so too.
Speaker 5: I mean, I know that was my my journey.
Speaker 7: It might not have been everyone's, but I think it's gonna be very hard to find.
Speaker 1: It not being We just had one of our producers literally just write it on the chain.
Speaker 2: Still my dream, let's see.
Speaker 1: I think people just it's a dream come true for people, and I'm my dream has not come true. I did not get to do the Disney logo either. Some Marquis and I have that in common. I'm a little jealous of you. I don't even want to get into that. We'll talk about this later off chain, but thank you everybody so much for joining us for this park Opper episode. Thank you Marquis for joining us. What a wonderful conversation. And don't forget we were doing Ali Cats Strike next time, which again is not bowling with animals. I know nothing of this movie, so I guess we will figure it out when I keep thinking of.
Speaker 5: A different movie entirely of this era.
Speaker 1: Okay, we'll talk about it when we when we watch it. But thank you again everybody for joining us. Don't forget you can join us and follow us on the Magical rewind Pod on.
Speaker 2: The Instagram machine, and we will see you next time. Bye.