Speaker 1: NFL Power Rankings is a production of the NFL in partnership with iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Welcome to a brand new edition of NFL Power Rankings, a holiday edition, and of course we'll get a little bit of chaos at the top. Mike am Eric at home with you, and of course to get the complete analysis of all thirty two teams, all you have to do is head to NFL dot com.
Speaker 3: But I made reference to it.
Speaker 2: Maybe the Christmas treat Eric, for all of us is a change at the top with the rankings.
Speaker 4: Yeah, ended up right where back where we started at the beginning of the year at Kansas City, kind of reshuffling their way to the top.
Speaker 5: That's what happens with one loss.
Speaker 2: It is all right, let's go through it, Teams one through eight right now. You made reference to it. Casey sitting in the one spot. The Buffalo Bills at number two still haven't earned just yet the AFC's number one seed, which if they could and they do, it'll be the first time since ninety three. The Lions setting a franchise record with their thirteenth win. At number four, it's the Eagles, tough loss for them. We'll discuss that squad in just a minute. The Vikings have now won eight games. There in the fifth spot, the Packers at six, the Ravens still alive in the AFC North the seventeam, and the Commanders sitting at number eight. All right, let's circle back on this number one squad, and that is the Kansas City Chiefs. We keep talking about these one possession games they keep on winning, Eric.
Speaker 3: Is it still a thing?
Speaker 5: It is still a thing.
Speaker 4: They've got it down to a science at this point. I mean, I think at some point, you know, we realized the suspicions should fade away. And I think the trust in this team, everything they've built up over the last five years, certainly, but even this season too. The ability to close out games. They know how to do it. First drive, though, for me, set a big statement. We all came in with questions about Patrick Mahomes's ankle. I felt like those are answers. He had the big scramble there on third and thirteen. They convert the fourth and then all of a sudden, Patrick Mahomes is running fifteen yards under the end zone. I mean you almost could hear Arrowhead kind of collectively holding their breath when that started. But by the end of the drive, I think a lot of people, myself included, felt like Mahomes is in decent shape. This team keeps winning, the defense takes care of business. They've got some people back from injury. I think the Chiefs are in pretty good shape. We can respect them now again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, at the end of the day, I know we were talking about that ankle injury.
Speaker 3: You know, pretty quickly into the game.
Speaker 2: We just sit there and go, No, he's fifteen, he's the magician, he's aoh okay. Meanwhile, the Detroit Lions sitting into number two spots, or excuse me, the lines sitting like at the number three spot.
Speaker 3: I say, the Bills are at number two.
Speaker 2: When you look at this Detroit squad, is there a team that's mentally tougher than them in the league.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I obviously coming off the first loss in three months and dealing with the spate of injuries on both sides of the ball, not just that defense.
Speaker 5: David Montgomery as well.
Speaker 4: Look, you're still going on the road, You're still facing a divisional opponent. The Bears gave them a ton of trouble on Thanksgiving. They get off to a fast start answer a bunch of questions right away. Yeah, Look, Gibbs was great and in kind of a lead role. That wasn't a big shock. But the trick play, how about that? The latest sorcery from Ben Johnson, that that fake stumble, fake fumble, whatever you want to call it. Gibbs played his part, Jared Goff did his thing, and Sam Laporta caught it. I almost wonder if Ben Johnson wasn't maybe showing off a little for the Bears. They've got a head coaching search in the offseason. That's a story for down the road, But for the Lions and their quest for a Super Bowl, this is a great way to get.
Speaker 5: Back on tracks.
Speaker 4: Still have two tough games San Francisco Minnesota, and they've got to beat the Vikings to ensure they win the division, assuming both teams win next week. But there's still a lot to like about this team, Mike, the mental toughness being I think close to the top of the list, that fearless factor they bring into most games.
Speaker 2: You know, I think it was Ian rapaport, our colleague at NFL Network, who reported that Ben Johnson was intrigued by the opportunity of the Chicago Bears just throwing.
Speaker 3: That out there.
Speaker 2: Something tells me I kind of would have thought they would have pocketed that play for the postseason, because it would have been crazy in a playoff game to see something like that, but nonetheless an impressive play call Number four. It's the Eagles. We just give them a pass. I mean, Jalen wasn't out there for most of that game.
Speaker 4: You could do that, but you could also say, hey, look, Hurts is in concussion. You've got Kenny Pickett his backup, who you know was up and down in his place. Have an X phrase on his ribs. You know, are we looking at tit or McKee playing football down the stretch in pivotal moments for the Eagles. I don't know that we're at that point yet, but there are some concerns. It puts a lot more of the onus on Saquon Barkley. He's got to keep being super hero every week, assuming there's some concern at the quarterback spot, and then defensively allowing five touchdown drives and you know, some coverage bus there, some late breakdowns. Kind of feels like they may have let the chance to get the number one seed slip away.
Speaker 5: But it's still there.
Speaker 4: They still have that opportunity and I'm not ready to bury this team, but they did drop out of the top spot. We had just graduated him to the top of the heap and a little bit of humble pie on, you know, before Christmas.
Speaker 3: Here it's wow, what's an NFL season?
Speaker 2: What's another edition of power rankings with not a little chaos at the top there. I got sort of shocked, to be honest with you, that it did play out the way that it did. And speaking of that Eagle squad, they lose to a Commander's team where Jaden Daniels looks like, you know, maybe he I have cemented himself as the offensive rookie of the year. I know it's been an up and down campaign for Washington. How much are you buying this team?
Speaker 5: I think I'm buying stock again.
Speaker 4: I was ready to kind of unload a little bit ter, you know, sort of softly get rid of what I bought up all in the preseason. You know, I was high on this team early in the year, but they found their way again, and I think Daniels is obviously a huge part of it. I mean, you know, to give them a spark with two receivers who hadn't really done much off season, at least as far as touchdown production. Jamison Crowder catches the first one, also the game winner. Olamide's a kias. They don't win without those two touchdowns in the fourth quarter from him. So some big plays from unexpected sources. But Daniels now, even as a rookie, he is the expected source. He is expected to carry this offense to him. That's just okay. I think everybody has kind of fallen in line. They'd grabbed onto his cape, and I want to see how far it takes him. Right, Is he going to go on a Jordan Love like run in the playoffs this year or something?
Speaker 5: I could see it.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, they're building so much confidence in Washington, even after some stumbles earlier this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, really looking forward to the matchup against Atlanta a Sunday night football, A lot on the line for both of these teams, and a great rookie quarterback matchup. We'll talk about the Falcons in just a moment. The Vikings. Can't we just say hey, why not us? I mean, if you're a Minnesota fan, this is a complete balanced team.
Speaker 4: I went on a radio show the other day and somebody said, where did you move the Vikings up to? And I said, I got them stuck at five. I can't find a spot for Maybe they're better than the Eagles, maybe they're better than some of those other teams in the top four, but they are terrific and I do believe they sort of have found a way into that elite tier of the NFL right now.
Speaker 5: Defense offense.
Speaker 4: How about Sam Donald throwing that ball after taking a massive hit the play before threading it into Justin Jefferson. Those are plays that, yes, we've always known Sam Darnold is capable of, but now he's making them on the regular. You know, this team, like we said with Washington, is just brimming with confidence. But they've been doing it now over the course of a few months. Still get their chance to get a little payback against the or fight off a Packers team that's looking for payback, I should say, and again, I just I feel like this is a different model than we saw two years ago when they had an equally impressive record thirteen and four. But the negative point differential this season feels different to me. I don't have those same doubts. I think they're really on a roll right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sitting there going, you know what, relatively healthy heading into the postseason playing some really great football. Darnald's confidence is probably as high as it was in his last campaign in Southern California playing for SC. I mean, this is a team that should make some noise in the postseason. Now they get an opportunity to sort of prove it here against a Green Bay squad.
Speaker 3: That matchup gets.
Speaker 2: Flex to that four to twenty five Eastern time window. The Packers they pitch shut out. Speaking of balanced teams, I gotta be honest with you, Eric, They're kind of like right there with them. Defensively, they look great against the Saints, and I know a lot of issues offensively that they have, but the reality is there's a lot of talented pieces for Lafleur.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The questions about the Packers, at least for me, are not about what they can do against middling teams like the Saints. Obviously they're very beat up, and you know, they took care of business Monday night, no doubt, got off to the top fast start, put it in cruise control after that. It's what there the Packers rather can do against the elite teams in the NFL. We've seen them come up just short against the Lions, just short against the Vikings, other teams in that same echelon. And this next matchup, the rematch against Minnesota, this is their opportunity not only to you know, change the calculus in the NFC, in the NFC North for that matter, but also to send a statement, hey, we can win these types of games. I love when Josh Jacobs says the tone early. I love that they have five or six playmakers they trust. They just got Luke Musgrave back off the ir They're getting healthy too, and that defense has responded after some tough outings this year, including the one at Detroit.
Speaker 2: You know, we had the Monday night football postgame show on NFL Network when it was done, and you hear Lafleura, you hear Jordan Love. These guys are just being asked about this next matchup that wasn't one. They get an opportunity to redeem themselves.
Speaker 3: It was a close.
Speaker 2: Defeat for him career haus in terms of yardage and passing touchdowns for Jordan Love, but he threw three interceptions in that game. It was his return after missing two with the MCL so this game also feels a little bit different than the one that we witnessed back in week number four. All right, take a closer look at the odds in the AFC North. Yeah, and then there were two to go and win this division. The Baltimore Ravens, according to FanDuel, the favorite right now, followed by the Steelers. All right, let's focus in on the seventh ranked team, and that is the Ravens. They get Houston on Christmas Day. Lamar just continues to ball out. I think there's a lot of different ways that we go with this team. We can have the MVP conversation, but to me, maybe the best storyline is a resurgence on the defensive side by Zach Orr's unit.
Speaker 4: You're right, Lamar, Henry, Rashad Bateman, they're all crucial pieces of that offense. But I've said, like, you know, this team last year that was even better on the defensive side. They didn't win with it, so they had to get better. We've seen the stripe. It's not just in this last game against Pittsburgh with the big plays the fumble and the interception, the pick six, but also over recent weeks two. So there's a body of work there. I feel like Mike that we can kind of start to embrace I don't think they're going to be as dominant. The pass rush isn't quite as good, the coverage has been a little bit disappointing over the course of the season, but still a tough team, and it just feels like they're on a crash course with the Chiefs at some point. They met in Week one to kick off the season. We're gonna see these teams meet again. I'm calling my shot right now.
Speaker 2: There's something about a potential rematch that's got me intrigued here. Baltimore. They were the team that was dominant all season long. Now all of a sudden, I think they go from the hunted to now the hunters this season with five losses. I think this is a different vibe heading into the postseason, which might be a good thing for Harbaugh's squad. Yeah, I made reference to it Christmas Day. Yes, we will see this Baltimore Ravens squad. We got two games on Netflix December twenty fifth. Let's roll, you got the gifts, you got some football. At one Eastern it's Kansas City taking on Pittsburgh, and then it's Yes, that Ravens Texans matchup at four thirty Eastern time. Now we talked a little bit about the Baltimore Ravens. I think the biggest question is where does that leave Pittsburgh. The answer to that is coming up next on power rankings. Back here on power rankings Teams nine through sixteen. Oh, the Steelers still controlling their own destiny in the AFC North after that loss to the Ravens, which we just talked about.
Speaker 3: At number ten, it's the Chargers.
Speaker 2: An impressive win for Justin Herbert and company against the Broncos, who are at eleven. At twelve, it's the Rams cross country in the cold in New Jersey. Doesn't matter for that so Cal team. Thirteen, the Texans tank, Elton Tank. Dell's injury could loom large. We got the Buccaneers at four game winning streak it is snapped. The Falcons at fifteen, we'll talk about them in just a moment. And the Bengals, Yeah they're still alive.
Speaker 3: But it is time for power moves. All right.
Speaker 2: Let's circle back on that tenth ranked team in the Chargers. I think they're a good stretch of this season. Arc We felt like, hey, this is it's really dangerous because of their defense, because of justin Herbert he is.
Speaker 3: He's it feels like.
Speaker 2: At times, especially late in the season with some of these injuries, he's a one man band on offense.
Speaker 5: Absolutely. We've seen Lad McConkey miss time.
Speaker 4: We've obviously seen some of the receivers struggle with drops too, so there's been a lot working against him. His favorite tight end, at least early in the season, will Disley out too, but Herbert keeps coming back, fighting through that left ankle injury. We saw him even make a couple of big scrambles, but really it was finding some of these receivers Joshua Palmer, who had a terrific one handed catch in the back of the end zone for the two pointer, and then also getting some unexpected sources from guys like Haskins too. And you know, Herbert really has had a terrific season. And maybe we put too much stock in that second half against the Bucks. They got blown out. It happened a couple times this year they've been They've had a few really bad has Arizona, Tampa Bay, Cincinnati, et cetera. But when they're at their best, they have a path to kind of come back and Herbert's got the ball in his hands.
Speaker 5: Good things usual happened.
Speaker 4: So I'm still pretty encouraged about their chances to maybe pull a first round upset in the playoffs that they get there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, on look, once again, you play defense the way that they do, it's definitely going to be give you an opportunity.
Speaker 3: Once the postseason rolls around.
Speaker 2: We do get to see them on a Saturday, and yes, we have an exclusive triple header on NFL Network. The Chargers will be matching up against the New England Patriots. Coverage of that game, by the way, one Eastern time. Do not want to miss it. Broncos and Bengals at four, and then it's the Cardinals and Rams at eight Eastern once again, this Saturday, only on NFL Network and streaming on NFL Plus. Subscription required for NFL Plus. I do love the story around this Atlanta Falcons team who sit at number fifteen. For you, Michael Pennix, we weren't sure how they were going to handle Kirk Cousins. The rookie comes in there signs a life for this team's offense. I think the arrow might be pointing up for this team heading into the playoffs potentially.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, you talked about kind of the Eagles mentality or sorry of the Ravens bentality being the hunted here, and I think it applies to the Falcons too. They've put themselves in this position obviously, and maybe they waited too long to make a quarterback switch, but they got it done, Penni Scott. You know, if we're using baseball terms here, like a starting pitcher, great run support, his receivers made plays, Bijon Robinson was a huge part of the run game that opened up play action. And oh, by the way, two defensive touchdowns. That's pretty good support right there. So every you know, perfect situation, everything you could ask for for a rookie quarterback making his first start, an experienced guy in college but still got to be some butterflies. And I thought he handled himself really well, especially after starting the game two for six. He really found a rhythm there and took a part a.
Speaker 5: Good Giants defense.
Speaker 4: You can say what you want about them, they're not a good football team, but the defense has played well times this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thirty four answered points for the Falcons once again, they will match up. I know I made reference to it earlier against Washington on Sunday Night Football at sixteen Cincinnati. They are maybe the most interesting team on power rankings single week. I feel like I'm on the on the bus and they lose, and I'm off the bus. I keep going back and forth. For what it's worth. Next Gen stats put their's chances of making the postseason at seven percent.
Speaker 3: So I'm going to say it, there's still a chance.
Speaker 4: You're saying there's a chance, right, Yes, they're like the the undead team right now. Nobody can actually kill them off. We'll see if Denver can take care of business this week. But you know, to go on the road and get two road wins and then come back home against Cleveland and have their you know, probably their best defensive showing of the season. Granted it came against a third string quarterback, but still that's the kind of confidence I think you need from a unit that has been called out and you still got Joe Burrow, you still have Jamar Chase t Higgins, and you know, the offense has had plenty to do this these last several games.
Speaker 5: They've been in this bow where they.
Speaker 4: Feel like they have to beat people via shootout and that really wasn't the case.
Speaker 5: Sunday.
Speaker 4: They got off to a hot start, kind of put the game in control and took care of business from there. So anything could happen down the stretch. Right, They've got Denver, They've got Pittsburgh.
Speaker 5: I give them.
Speaker 4: A decent shot, a competitive shot to win either game, and who knows, it would be a crazy story in a year where there haven't been a lot of playoff mystery teams sort of coming out of nowhere so far.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, not to give away where you have the Colts because we'll do that coming up in just a minute. Here they sit at number twenty two. It's amazing to me just in terms of where the rankings are. I think we're probably on the same page. Colts probably are going to be the playoff team. And yet I think both of us like Cincinnati and their chances if they were able to make it, to make some noise.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the more dangerous of the two teams.
Speaker 4: Look even when Jonathan Taylor or somebody like that, I mean, I think the quarterback position and some defensive improvement those receivers, that's what makes them so scary to a lot of people.
Speaker 5: They got nothing to lose at this point too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, winners are three straight games, And once again, I think there's a lot of fans around the NFL who might not have a team that it's going to be in the playoffs.
Speaker 3: Me that's I'm a Giants fan.
Speaker 2: I kind of just want to see Joe burrowball out and see what happens when the playoffs roll around.
Speaker 3: One division.
Speaker 2: We've been trying to figure out NFC West Seattle.
Speaker 3: We've been going back and forth.
Speaker 2: We've started to buy their stock, and right now it feels like it's not worth a whole lot. Eric will tell us where they sit and the power rankings coming up next. Back here on power rankings, Mike ham and Eric at Home with You, Team seventeen through twenty four. The Seahawks. I really don't know what to make of the squad. Eric, you're going to be giving that task to explain it to me in just a moment.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 2: The Dolphins, they roll the Niners. They're at eighteen at nineteen. The Cardinals, oh boy, there was a time where I thought they were the team to beat in the NFC West. That is not the case. Panthers handle them in overtime. The Cowboys all of a sudden, they're winning some football games. At twenty the Niners not the season that I had expected for them, The Colts at twenty two, the Saints they got shut out. Remember those first few weeks of the season, we were talking about that offense just rolling. They were scoring like forty plus every single week. No, Derek Carr, that's going to be a problem. And the Bears at twenty four continue to spiral out of control. All right, Seattle, lay it on me, man, Like, what is this football team?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's really hard to sort of categorize a team that opens the season with three straight wins, then follows it up with five out of six games that are losses, and then three more wins and then two.
Speaker 5: Losses in a row.
Speaker 4: It has been a roller coaster, at least as far as the wins and losses go. In Mike McDonald's first season, they've dealt with a lot of stuff. Kenneth Walker hurt again this season. That really has hindered the run game. It's put a lot on Gino Smith's shoulders mic and look, they have those receivers, but the protection hasn't always been there. Gino's throw throwing some red zone picks. He's kind of inching closer to his rookie year, I int total. You know, he's also completing seventy percent of his passes and on pace for a career high in passing yard.
Speaker 5: So there's been some good.
Speaker 4: There's been a reason why they're still in the race, and they're going to have to beat Chicago the wild card is out, and then hope for Arizona to beat the Rams.
Speaker 5: That would set up a take it all.
Speaker 4: Or nothing kind of game in Week eighteen for the division. But again, they're really swimming upstream at this point. Defensively, hasn't been the season they hoped, especially with McDonald, but they got a chance. I don't know what I expected my coming into the year. I think something around this. I don't think this is terribly out of a character for them, at least as far as what I thought they were going to be coming into the year.
Speaker 2: So in the race with the potential to go and win the division, you thought was fair, and I guess in hindsight that is, But I don't know, look to reality is I don't think there's any team that's better than the Rams right now in the division.
Speaker 3: They should be the team that goes to the postseason.
Speaker 5: I think so, right.
Speaker 4: I mean they you know, from the one and four start, they've obviously turned things completely around. And you know, you could say the same about Seattle after they're tough stretch right after that. But still, you know, whatever team's been in the first place, the pole position that see West the last month or so hasn't had the best of luck. Arizona, Seattle and now LA's there. Can they hang on? Can they play some of their best football which they have and continue their hot streak?
Speaker 2: Yeah, one in four to start the season since the by eight and two. And I made this point yesterday on the post game show on Monday Night Football. The Rams to me if they were healthy at the start of the season, I think it's a different narrative around this team. Remember that offensive line was decimated, which is the reason why they started one to four on the year. Speaking of teams that can't, I can't figure out the Cowboys. Where are these wins coming from? I mean this was tough sledding for a good stretch of this season. I think we're a question about Mike McCarthy if he's going to be the coach, Like they're signs to life right now inside that locker room.
Speaker 4: Whatever McCarthy is telling his players in meetings, in practices prior to games at halftime, it's working, right. I mean, he's got this team back on track, starting quarterback out, injuries all over the place, you know, losing pieces on defense as well, and boy, they found a spirit that I didn't know they would have. This was a team that was sort of caught in the malaise for a while.
Speaker 5: But you know, you saw.
Speaker 4: Them finish off that dramatic game Monday night against a good Bucks team, a desperate Bucks team, a Bucks team that was also sort of controlling its fate to a degree. So does this mean McCarthy back. You know, you're seeing Cooper Rush perform in an effective level. I mean, he looked pretty darn good the last month or so. And you know, Mike McCarthy's expertise is on the offensive side of the ball. Steedee Lamb is engaged. You've got Rico Dowdell going late in the season, even with a bad game Monday, I mean, all the signs.
Speaker 5: Are in a positive direction. I think that bodes well for McCarthy.
Speaker 4: I don't know if it means he's going to have his job, But good for them for staying in the race with everybody had kind of thrown some dirt on him, and you know, they just got eliminated, but.
Speaker 5: Still competitive football throughout. You got to tip your hat to that. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think if he doesn't have a job in Dallas, I'm not saying that he won't. If he doesn't, I think there's a lot of teams that are going to look at the second half of the season and go, you know what, We'll take them on our squad. All right, let's get to the to the rest of the teams twenty five through thirty two. The Panthers I cannot believe we're talking about them at twenty five. Let's roll in front of the Jets, no less at twenty six. Got do you think about some preseason high at the Browns at twenty seven hanging up and another loss for them. The Patriots at twenty eight, twenty nine, it's the Raiders. I had so many text messages from friends and family that are Giants fans that were written so hard for the Raiders to pull off a win, and they got it done. The Jacks at thirty, the Titans at thirty one, and yes, the Giants who should maybe possibly get the number one overall pick who We'll see how it plays out the rest of the season and if they pick up a win to make things interesting. But I think there's a fan base that would love for them to get the number one selection in this year's coming draft.
Speaker 3: But the Panthers at twenty five.
Speaker 2: Be honest, I mean, if I would have told you that at week you know this at this point, we kenned at a week seventeen that this team would be twenty fifth, you would have said, now you're lying.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know that I would have expected them to land there, especially not after the first two weeks of the season things were looking so bad. Bryce Young was benched, his backup goes and wins their first game for him. But you got to give Young a ton of credit for taking the demotion, figuring out what did he needed to work on, putting it to work behind the scene, and then when he got his second opportunity after Dalton got hurt, really made the most of it. And now people are not talking about what a giant draft bust he is. He is now all of a sudden back in that same position it was in the offseason. As the leader of this team, there's some young pieces to get excited about. The offensive line we get and also Cuba Hubbard. Boy, he had that overtime fumble a couple of weeks ago, ended up being the overtime hero on Sunday.
Speaker 5: So the arrow's.
Speaker 4: Trending back up for this team. They got a lot of work to do in the offseason, but I like the direction they're heading in right now.
Speaker 5: Mike.
Speaker 4: You know, there's that.
Speaker 2: Old adage in the college football world, right when a new coach takes over. You know, you probably lose big in year number one, you lose a little smaller in year number two, you start winning small in year three, and then you start winning big in year four. That's obviously the path here. I think we're starting to see that within one season. Some close losses down the stretch for Carolina here, but then they go and pick up a win. So maybe, as to your point, arrow is pointing up for Bryce Young and the Carolina Panthers. Who would have thunk it after making that quarterback change.
Speaker 3: Eric, you're the best man.
Speaker 2: Merry Christmas to you and your family, Merry Christmas to everyone that's out there. Enjoy the Christmas Day games, enjoy the Saturday and Sunday games, and we'll see you next week for another edition of Power Rankings.
Speaker 1: NFL Power Rankings is a production of the NFL in partnership with iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.