Speaker 1: The volume. There's so much to be thankful for over the holiday weekend, friends and family, food, and football, especially NFL. New customers at Draftking Sportsbook download the app full Weekend of Action, Full week of action right now. Five bucks. New customers can bet just five bucks on the NFL to score one hundred and fifty bucks instantly in bonus bets. You bet five, you get one hundred and fifty money, lines, props, live bets, and so much more. No matter your appetite, there is something for you at Draftking Sportsbook. Download the app now. The code is Colin COOLi and new customers bet five bucks on the NFL and get one hundred and fifty bucks instantly in bonus bets only on Draftking Sportsbook, the official sports betting partner of the NFL. The code is OHA's Colin co l I n. The crown is Yours. Gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler or visit www dot one eight hundred gambler dot net, New York, call eight seven seven eight hope and why, or text hope and y for six seven three sixty nine. In Connecticut, help is available for problem gambling called eighty eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothill Casino and Resort KS licensee partner Golden Nugget Lake Charles twenty one plus. Age varies by jurisdiction Voyden, Ontario. Bonus betts expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issuance. S sportsbook dot DraftKings dot com, slash Basketball, Terms for eligibility and deposit restrictions, Terms and responsible gaming resources. All right, here we go an hour with Nick Wright. So uh, you know, I hadn't talked to Nick in a while. We thought pre Thanksgiving. If you're watching this, he does look a little like Bernie toppin the Lyricists of Burnish lyricist who was Elton John's songwriter Forever. You've got a little Bernie top and look between the sports code, very sophisticated.
Speaker 2: I mean, Colin, is your listen I'm not sure, I haven't seen the metrics, but is your you know, YouTube and podcast audience? Are they skewing to like the Golden generation? Like you're the You were thirty seconds in and you're like, hey, I mean I think I know a lot about you know, pop culture from before my time. But Bernie Toppin, I don't think I've ever I've ever heard of, but I'll take your word for it. You know, I get a lot of things. Everyone you know has different comments on the look. You have more comments than anyone. I've just been so busy today getting roasted by people for the team losing a football game that I don't play for. I didn't have time to change. I was wearing my TV clothes is having a nice cocktail with my friend Colin Cheers.
Speaker 1: You know you said something today on FS one that I thought was really true. In fact, I wrote about it my first book. I call it sports insurance, where I bet against the teams I love so it doesn't break my heart when they lose. That's where you and I are different. So you have much more emotional courage. You go all in on your commentary on your betting for who you love. And me, you probably had a more stable environment in your life, me who had chaos. I am constantly buying insurance so nothing breaks my heart. I bet Oregon State against Washington because the hustle.
Speaker 2: I couldn't believe that you mentioned that when I went off the show, Like I couldn't believe that you went to that level on it. See, so I think it actually probably shows some like I don't know, almost like masochism about me that I'm not aware of, which is like, it's really like a it's going I'm going to feel something at the end of this game, and it's going to be maximum in either direction. Like I'm going to put myself out on as far of a limb as I can professionally. If I believe in it, I'm going to gamble on it. And it's the team I love. And when they come through it is a true rush. And when they don't like and I even you know, I'll give you a different type of gambling. You know all these the gambling operations your friends at DraftKings do it. They offer the cash out options, you know what I mean? On a bet. So, I don't know if it was Week three or whatever week it was, but the week the Giants had the huge comeback against the Commanders, and I think and Denver had a huge lead against someone that they ended up blowing, I bet both. I made a five hundred dollars bet on both teams that were trailing by twenty one simultaneous. It's five hundred to twenty one thousand dollars this week three, And at one point the cash out option was seventeen to five because one of my teams had won and the other one was up, had gone from down twenty one to up ten, and I was like, hell, no, I'm not cashing like no, like if you're offering me that it's worth more. And that was the game. Russell Wilson completed the hail Mary to potentially win tie the game, and then they didn't get the two point conversion, and I dropped to my knees in agony when he completed that tiptail mary. But then I won anyway, And it's just that's kind of just how I live my life. That's just kind of how I live my life.
Speaker 1: What you talked about, the word you use was rush, and you play poker, and your opinions you you you probably somewhere maybe because my father, uh later in life, I didn't notice it early, was an alcoholic. I am very acutely aware of obsession or becoming an alick whatever that olic is, right, and so I'm aware of it. I'm always pushing back, I'm always stopping I'm awa, you're not. You probably didn't have as much of that in your life, so your life could have been you had some chaos you've told me about, but you like you like the rush. I am avoiding the rush at all times.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just I I have and I think maybe we've talked to this once before. I you know, I'm pretty convinced I don't. I've been like clinically diagnosed with this. But I have what people call an addictive personality, and that can go in any direction, positive or negative. So, like, you know, there was a period of time right when my youngest daughter who's now ten, had just been born and I was spending a ton of time just with her in my arms or sleeping or whatever, that I became totally really obsessed with history books and I was reading dnse US or military worldwide history books one a week. Like I was addicted is a weird way to put it, but it was. It was certainly compulsion. I once built these little lego nanoblock sculptures to the point to where I was scouring eBay for like ones I didn't have. Now that can also go in you know, bad directions on you know, either vices or whatever it is. But I've just I certainly can get obsessed with things. And you mentioned poker like I am obsessed is not the right word, but I am. I every single night. The way I go to sleep is I watch old not old, but eighteen months old thereabout kind of you know, obscure poker tournaments of the best in the world to try to kind of learn that like the new kind of that's the skill I'm trying to hone. And I'm really like laser focused on it. So I just don't I'm not good at doing things in moderation, and that's and it's also why, to be totally honest, I never, aside from weed, experimented with any drugs because I knew. I was like, I won't be a you know you, I'm sure you've had a friend or someone that's like, wow, they once every six months might do a little coke or something, but they're just you know what I mean, it's just like a thing. I was like, that wouldn't be me, man, I would that would I? And so I've kind of had to have my own guardrails on it there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I have a lot of guardrails, so I don't I'm the exact opposite of you.
Speaker 2: Everything is in moderation.
Speaker 1: I have I literally, I mean, I tell my wife, I go to this place in Manhattan Beach. It's called the nine hundred Club, and it's a great place to go. I go see my buddies. I watched the Chiefs Eagles there and with four minutes to go in the game, I call Uber, take me home and do the podcast. Right. But it's just like I wanted last night to be like you in an environment of fans, and it was split down the middle. Kansas City, Philadelphia. But it's it's like I can stop anything. I cocktails seven forty done years ago, I had I was getting rosetia and I went to an attritionist and.
Speaker 2: She said, uh, she said, do you do you eat dairy? And I said, yeah, I have about.
Speaker 1: Twelve yogurts today. She said twelve and I said that's I eat them all day. She goes, stop, no more dairy for you. I literally have never had yogurt since the next day, and and I was living on it. So I can I am I say this, I am a great quitter. Oh wow, I'm not a good starter.
Speaker 2: Rates that's like an underrated skill that. I guess it's a weird thing to say, but being able to either cut your losses or just be like I'm not into this, Like I wonder, do you ever wonder how many people in our business? Uh? And I'm people who probably are not necessarily at the apex of it, but our business. Everybody you know you started in local TV and then did local radio. I did local radio for a decade. So I always wonder how many people who have decent jobs in you know, a good market or whatever it is, are fell out of love with it eight years prior but just didn't know how to be like, oh, this wasn't for me, and are continuing down the path. You know what I mean? That they're like that where it's not even what they want to do anymore, but it's just what they had always said they were going to do and they don't want to be like I was wrong. I always wonder about that.
Speaker 1: Well, I think I will say this. I think sports talk radio is at its best locally when you have a great controversy and you can spend four hours on one topic. I remember when I lived in Connecticut, my wife Anne built a gym for me downstairs and I worked out almost every four o'clock every day, like three thirty four o'clock. And probably the best local show I've heard consistently was Felger and Maz the two Boston guys, not Homer's. One of the few shows in a big market I've ever heard that would push back on local teams. Funny, smart, connected, and I always thought their best shows when they had a major Patriot controversy or Brady it was great. I'd sit there and work out for two hours. That's when I had muscles, because I would just sit there and work out because I thought it was fascinating.
Speaker 2: That's when you were getting ready for your book cover, the famous shirtless book cover. Yeah. So I have a story on that, but it's I this morning, Collins. So I drove back from Philly at six in the morning because I had to do I had do my podcast. And so this morning, on the drive back from Philly, the last thing I want to do is consume any content about the Chiefs loss. Like it's the last thing. So I, you and I are so similar on this. I went to uh, my buddy Andrew Philippony, who you know a bit. He hosts afternoons in Pittsburgh. He was the Kenny Pickett guy. He he he had a weekly show with him when he was at pitt He like threw a party when the Steelers drafted him. He was all he was tweeting, Picket to Pickens is going to be the new Montana Rice. He was the Kenny Pickett guy. And after the game Sunday he said, I'm out on Kenny, and I was like, I've got to hear this show. So on my drive from Philly to New York this morning, I pulled up the podcast from his local show yesterday two o'clock of them being like I'm out on Kenney. And then today right before our show, when I saw Matt Canada got fired, I was like, I want to hear what they're saying now today. Like local sports radio is great, it's like on on it can be super monotonous, you know, in the if you have a crummy baseball team and there's nothing going on, but on the big story stuff. It is so it is so exciting and exhilarating. It's so good. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was just I have a show in LA. I listened to my buddy of mine is works on radio, and they he does a really good job, and he's got great Laker information that I listened to. And he and his buddy are funny. I know them both. They're funny and they can go places I can't go. Because I have a television component, I'm minute to minute, my ratings are judged, and so there's no question I do more NFL. Now, if I was just doing local radio, i'd probably do thirty percent in NFL fifty eight to sixty percent. So I've always thought when when you know, I saw some I don't know the name of the sportscaster, Chris Something.
Speaker 2: He's some ESPN guy.
Speaker 1: It was on social yesterday where a local person came up to interview him and he said, I don't do local, and I was like, every time I'm in a local market, I talk to the local guys. I love the local guys. I think they're funny, I think they're interesting. I think those shows are raw. I'm not allowed to be as raw they're they're unhinged. I'm not allowed to be they're gonna.
Speaker 2: When you said you have a TV component, you ended up talking about kind of content and ratings, and you know, but there is a level of even in twenty twenty three. The closest thing to like the wild West of like sports media is your local sports guys who can absolutely walk the line and cross it occasionally without and I I think it's probably because it's hard for a local radio gaff to instantly go viral without the fear of, oh my god, this is going to cost me my career. So when you're don't, when you're not as concerned about that, you can take more chances and listen. Sometimes it ends in disaster because you take too many, but sometimes it is really my you know one eyebuddies who's done. I've told you about him as well. My buddy Laslough has done a local talk show for over twenty years in Kansas City, and he said early on when he was doing it, he was like my entire goal when I had first started in a market no one knew who I was was. At some point when they're listening, make the purse say something that makes them look at the radio, even though it's an audio medium, just feel like, what did you say? He's like that, you know, And there are levels of how close you can come to the line in that. I mean, I I don't know that I will now. But I used to say to Danielle, my wife, like when when we're retired, we're retired, will actually mean like maybe living in Hawaii and I do the local sports show there like like two hours a day, Like, but this gotta give take somewhere. But that was before like podcasts and YouTube and stuff I'm doing. A long time ago. I was like, I'm gonna have to give an opinion somewhere. But that that always said, like you know what happens.
Speaker 1: Coaches always say that they they go up the chain, they get to Kentucky, they win a national title, and they say, when I retire, I'm gonna coach at Saint Mary's. And it's like that pays less than a high school gym teacher.
Speaker 2: No, you're not, No, you're not.
Speaker 1: You're gonna You're gonna coach somewhere, be a consultant for the Philadelphia seventies six ers, make three hundred g's a year and go to eight games.
Speaker 2: Don't give me a break.
Speaker 1: No, I just I've always I have a lot of When I was up in Seattle for the Husky Game, Husky Oregon Game, a softy Dave Maler is gonna do stuff forever and he came up and said, would you do the pregame show?
Speaker 2: And I'm like, of course, I love it. I think it's just great.
Speaker 1: He's I think the local guys I could name twenty shows off the top of my head.
Speaker 2: I think they're excellent. Listen.
Speaker 1: I I got to a point where I got you know, I don't think most local guys want syndicated. I think I think the best jobs in sports talk radio are local. Now, obviously, if you could get you know, Dan Patrick, a Ry or you get one of those two jobs, those are really good jobs.
Speaker 2: We have really big staffs. It's a great life.
Speaker 1: I'm off at noon cocktails at you know three, it's a great life. But overwhelmingly Felger and Maz I know Felger, Uh doesn't.
Speaker 2: That's the thing. So, like I when I was coming up my and I've told you this, like it's and it's a little maybe it should be embarrassing, but it's not. But my dream job was to one day replace you on ESPN Radio. I was like, by the time he's about done, I will be there, like you know what I mean, not like they fire you for me, but like that's that to me, that was the best real estate in sports media in America was the mid day show on ESPN Radio because it was cleared in all the markets. It was mornings in the West Coast. It was the best real estate nowadays. Man, I do not feel and I'm not trying to take a shot and I don't. I simply don't feel that way. I know. You know Danny Parkins really well, he does afternoons in Chicago. He got offered h However, many years ago, I won't say the network, but their afternoon drive national spot, and we talked.
Speaker 1: I know how much he's making because I offered him a job, and.
Speaker 2: I remember we talked about it and it was like, I have more more people will hear me and care about what I say in Chicago than on the you know what I mean, on the National network whatever it's not. And I don't want to sound like back in my day. But the though, like Dan Patrick, you that that doesn't exist the way it used to on the National radio I mean Rome first obviously, and then every from there like that. That's kind of a Now it's not a bad thing because now this exists and podcasts and people have other opportunities. But I don't know what my dream job would be if I was eighteen years old right now, because I didn't ever think I was going to be on TV. I never thought I was gonna be on TV. I always just wanted to have the biggest sports radio show in the country. But now I don't know what that like. I mean, you have the biggest sports radio show in the country, but it's a TV show as we you know what I mean. So it's like a different thing. Like what is the biggest sports radio show that's just on the radio Right now, I don't know what it was, But for years you would know it was Jim Rome, it was you know what I mean. Van Pelt had a huge one for a while. Like I don't know what it is right now, I don't know, Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't, and I don't think it matters anymore. I think in the eighties and nineties it did. It's it's Mike and the mad It's almost like having the best It's like having the best running back in the NFL.
Speaker 2: Nobody cares, like nobody cares.
Speaker 1: It's like, who's got the best quarterback and an offensive coach that guides in it. And I say that with all due respect. I listened to Mike and the Mad Dog for ten years when I was in the East Coast. I thought they were terrific. I thought Boomer and Carton were a riot in the morning. I thought that was more my less basebally than Mike and the Mad Dog. I thought Boomer and Carton were perfect. I think Geo and Boomer, I don't hear them a Geo appear, you know, funny guy Boomer's you know, he's got an sizable audience, legitimacy in the market.
Speaker 2: I think those shows are. I think they're very, very I think they're great, and I think a lot of those shows probably pay better than most of the national shows. My point is, like, I don't think I think podcasts like in a weird way, Like is the biggest non televised national sports radio show in twenty twenty three, And I'm using radio and quotes, pardon my take, Like it might be you know what I mean, Like that might be what the next iteration of it is, like the and so I don't I don't know what it is. But I love the I love the industry, and I still even though I've now been at Fox longer than I've been anywhere else. I've been doing the first things, first Long and I in any of my other shows. If someone like were to ask me what I do for a living, I'd say sports radio hosts, and I'm on the radio. But like, in my head, that's what I am. Like, I just happen to be on TV doing it, but that's how that's what I am.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I call I put down whenever I'm filling out a credit report, America's media icon and that's how I did that.
Speaker 2: I told my my uh, one of my youngest daughter is I don't. One of her friends told her because she Both my daughters are actresses, the eighteen year olds in college. The youngest is ten, and one of the ten year old's friends told her the way it works is you get an agent and the agent puts you in movies. And so she is super pissed at us that we won't get her an agent. She was like, whoever told me that's what you need to do? And I said to her, I was like, Deana, I was like, I know how this business works. She was like, how would you know. I was like, I'm in the entertainment business. The inner I think, I said, I said I'm in the entertainment industry. And she just started laughing. She was like, no, you're not, daddy. I was like, yes I am. She was like, you are not in me. She just she thinks whatever I do is sports and it's nothing to do with the entertainment industry whatsoever. That I'm out of my mind. You know.
Speaker 1: It was interesting. I during the writers and the actors and the directors strike. Here's my take and talking about the entertainment industry, we'll just give it to that is that my wife and I we watch a Quarantine which is Netflix England. Everybody's got bad teeth, skins, blotchy noses or pointy, but the writing is just so good. And I told my wife, I don't care who the actors are, and I have not in any way trying to downplay Don cheatle Ed Norton, Michael Keaton, Meryl Street, Amy Adams, people that literally get me to a movie of the Jason Bateman. You know certain people, if they're in it, I'm watching it. They make good choices. But I said, my wife and I will go through a nine part series if we don't know the actors, if the writing is good. I've never watched a series where the writing's bad and the actors are famous and considered high profile. Is that there's nothing against actors. I'm not marginalizing the industry. But when I looked at that strike, they resolved the writers first. I said, this Stranger Things had eight year olds acting. Eight year old couldn't write it, they couldn't direct it, they could act in it. And that doesn't mean there's not great actors. Eight year old couldn't plan the NBA, couldn't be a senator, they can act well.
Speaker 2: So it's like that, I think as children. I mean, that's a little they're the only people eligible. You can't get a thirty year old to play the role. But before the side, until you got to the senator NBA analogy where I agree with you is great writing, can it is pulled right in a way that was a star actor if the product is if the if the plot and the writing is terrible, you can't keep me. But you can have a totally anonymous cast, which anonymous doesn't mean they're not good actors, just you know what I mean, not famous, and if the writing's good, you're in there entirely.
Speaker 1: Like the where think about this Marlon Brando's had eight bad movies.
Speaker 2: Why the writing was bad.
Speaker 1: You don't blame Marlon Brando, you go. The writing socked Tom Hanks the terminal. Nobody says, I'm not watching a Hanks movie again. The writing wasn't good enough. The writing carries it, not the acting, though there are specific Jeremy Irons again to me, Don Cheadle, Ed Norton, Michael Keaton, there are there are people that Jason Bateman just kind of pulls me.
Speaker 2: In whatever he does. Oh, by the way, stars that Yeah, here's the thing that the entertainment industry from the movie perspective has really taught me a bit as far as how to do my show, which is I don't think you can underrate the importance of charisma which I don't have a ton of, or likability which I started which I realized, or my career. Oh that's important. Like the like the thing is so the you mentioned those those folks, so like Tom Cruise. I can't explain it, but the charisma is the word and that guy it's just like he pulls you in. A guy who I think that maybe people will laugh at me for this, but a guy who I think has it. I just if he's on the screen, I find myself smiling. Is Mark Wahlberg, That guy's funny, man Like, he's just funny and he's having a good time and he's good looking like that. That so on that level. So that's that's where like the the and where the the perfect storm is. For instance, I would argue The Sopranos, which had apex acting what Gandalfini and Falco did and basically all the actors in the series except for the kids, were a plus and some of the best television writing ever. And you have true art, you have like, oh, I can watch that again and again and again, saying yeah, that's if you bring them both together where and they don't. It's not like Gandalfini was an A lister before the Sopranos, but he was an A list talent. Clearly he was one of the most brilliant performers ever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know, I think it was Marlon Brando said, and this is where James Gandolfini he found the perfect role. It didn't even look like he was acting. You start thinking, I bet he does have some mom guys, right, right. So Marlon Brando used to always say you can only do.
Speaker 2: You can do.
Speaker 1: Yourself and a version of your father. Oh nobody has the range.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you could you do.
Speaker 1: You're doing a version of yourself or a version of Dad as a man. That's the range. That's all you can do. And so when I watch Gandolfini, there are there are roles, and I think de Niro has leaned into this a lot. I think Michael Keaton's quirky, he's leaned into it. I thought James Gandolfini, it's like, oh no, he found the perfect role.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I watched him in a couple other movies. I really liked him.
Speaker 2: He's terrific.
Speaker 1: But that role, there are perfect roles. It's just like somebody once said to me Colin Afternoon Radio, and I'm like, no, that doesn't work for me.
Speaker 2: I'm not hostile.
Speaker 1: I'm more the I'm going to take you through what happened last night, my version, my story of what's happened last night. I don't want to take calls and yell and argue over stupid conflict. That's not my person night. That's Mike Frances's personality. I do think actors there's a perfect role out there, and the actors that find it often get type cast, but they do it over and over and over again, and that's criticized, but what it is, it's the closest version of who they are. And so Nicholas Cage can do the same thing over and over. Now leaving Las Vegas, he may do something that diverts and you're like, wow, what a performance. But I think most of the times I watch Michael Keaton kind of that sardonic sense of humor, or you watch Anthony Hopkins, or after I watched Silence of the Lambs, everything felt like I heard that, I heard that, I heard that voice in everything after that.
Speaker 2: I do think there are perfect roles for actors.
Speaker 1: And once you hit it, don't try to get happier than happy keep doing versions.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, well, and that's and I think for comedic actors it's probably easier. They they're not they're I shouldn't say easier, but they're not judged for it. Like nobody judges Sandler or a lot of or Mark Wall. We're gonna say, we're basically playing this not the same guy, but a similar guy and a bunch of stuff. Dramatic actors, they you know, are judged in a way, it's like test your range, see the different things you can do. And yeah, I mean I find I personally, maybe it's because my daughters are so into it. I find it to be a really like fascinating, uh journey of like trying to learn these things in the like whether or not the places. I mean, the ten year old is not obviously doing things on this level with the eighteen year old. She's a theater major, you know, you over California, Santa Cruz, and she's out there really trying to like learn things to do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's very few comedians can do drama now, obviously, Robin Williams, Goodwill, Hunting Awakening, Steve Carell. I also think I think Steve Carell's brolly. I think I think he's actually better fun I think he's better in drama than he is in comedy, and I think he's funny as hell. You do have these guys that can leave their personality. Robin Williams is really a unicorn. Well, let's just acknowledge it. Jim Carrey is brilliant. But I didn't buy the Cable Guy like I like I buy certain things because he was so physical. But I do think you rarely see a comedic actor do drama well because smartly they're playing the role they're meant to be.
Speaker 2: And that's okay. I can I ask you a question? And then I want to I've got something happening in my life that I want to tell you about. But first I have a question. Can you say comedic actor? I want to know if you agree with me on this. I think the single most impressive h job I guess in our in any form of the entertainment business, and I think it's or the most difficult. I think impressed the right word, and I don't think there's a close second is stand up comedian.
Speaker 1: And oh, I'm so glad you said that you agree. First of all, you have to write your own material. You get one take, you have to perform it in front of drunks. It's incredibly hard. Somebody else's writing.
Speaker 2: You have nothing but your thoughts. It is every single it would be like doing a television show with a live like in front of on your eyeballs, the ratings by the minute to where like it's like oh, because every joke that doesn't hit you know, and you have to keep going. And it is it is to me, I am more impressed by stand up comedians in anyone in any in the business. And I also think it would be the biggest rush of any of the jobs, Like if you were great at it, I would think, like, oh, I can't imagine anything cooler Like that is actually to me, And people disagree, maybe they think I'm crazy. I think it's actually cooler than rock star because even a rock star there's a there's a whole production, there's a band, usually there's music, there's there's you know, it might be flames or whatever it is. There's dancing, a lot of stuff. If you are able to walk onto a stage with a microphone in your hand, no video board, know nothing, and first ninety minutes keep people's wrapped attention and keep them laughing, and at the end they stand in applaud it's to me the one of the most remarkable things ever, Like I can't imagine how that feels, and I think it would be take such courage and be so hard. I think it's so cool. I think it's so cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think the only thing that rivals at his Broadway where it's one take, it's a live audience. It's often memorizing. I mean, I've I've actually known an actor that had to that worked years and years ago. I was I was intimidated listening to him describe his average night. It is a Broadway actor frightening.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: Especially if you're a lead or or you you've got like heavy work you're on stage.
Speaker 2: Oh, bad stuff. I can't imagineimidate the I wild I told Wilde's a version of this, and he made fun of me. He was like, oh, He's like, thanks for the breaking news that the Moulin Rouge in Paris is impressive. And I was like, okay, well you got it, buddy. But when my wife and I went to Paris this we I was like, hey, I know it's touristy whatever it is, but I want to see what the Mulin Rouge is. People say it's nice, and yes, I understand, it's a burless show, so it's there are topless women involved in it. It was two hours of, honest to god, the most impressive, non stop, like one hundred miles an hour performance. And seeing these people, I'm like, there are forty people on stage. They are all going fast and doing like you know, different movements and and The thing is they do, and I'm sure they it's not all the exact same people, but they do three shows a night, seven days a week in that theater. And two things cribed me. One was I was like, Uh, these tickets were four hundred bucks each. There's a thousand people in here. You're doing three of these a night, Like how much money does this place print? And the next thing was like, I don't even I don't think once you get cast you practice. I think you just performed because there's no time to practice because the theater is all day doing these shows. And yeah, I Broadway is. That was the big shocker to me about moving to New York that I loved Broadway. I would have never thought I liked it. I was like, I don't watch musicals, I don't care, and I find it. It's one of my favorite things about living here is like the because you are amazed that what these people are able to do, and then you know they do it six nights a week. They're just there. That's why they're just there doing it. It's unbelievable.
Speaker 1: Circling back to comedy, it's why Colin Quinn, to me, has always been one of the most impressive comedians that he does these Broadway. You know, he writes these essentially, you know, he finds a director, but he basically it's a one man show that Colin Quinn has done. And I watched couple of them online and I was just like, you know, it's it's it's a lot of work he you know, obviously it took six months to write. Colin Quinn, to me is one of the real great performers in America, and he does stuff nobody else does. He does stand up. Years ago. I was in New York, probably ten years ago. I was in New York one night and I'm having cocktails with a buddy who's from the Pacific Northwest, and I said, hey, let's go to a comedy show and see who's performing. Colin Quinn was up there, and you could tell he was working on his act. He was in warm ups.
Speaker 2: And he slayed it.
Speaker 1: He was just so funny and he was kind of going, now, that's not going to work, and he was, and I thought it was. It was probably an hour of just ad libing. Eight minutes of it were laugh out loud funny. Thirty five to forty were really good, and then you know, some of it figure I've seen David Spade live four or five times, you know, some of it just doesn't you know, He's just he's not there yet. He's got a funny line, but he doesn't have the arc complete.
Speaker 2: But I think back to that.
Speaker 1: I think Colin Quinn's really really smart.
Speaker 2: Really clever, the one person show. And then we can I guess, change do whatever? Change? How was do whatever? The I don't know if so. There's a show one of the obviously Law and Order. There's a bunch of law and orders, so Law and Order Organized Crime, which was the spin off of SVU. They took Stabler, the guy from SVU, and gave him his own show. Well, the second lead in that show is a woman named Danielle Monet Truett who went to grade school with my wife. In grade school, they were friendly but not like close friends. But then when she got and she was a like the vintage starving actor for twenty years. She had one big role on a show called Rebel was the star that show didn't last that long, and was doing plays and working whatever, and then she got cast in a new Law and Order as the second lead and it's like, oh, moving to New York. This is, you know, my big break. And she and Danielle reconnected. This is four years ago maybe, and now they are super close friends. So like it's and they went to grade school together and weren't that close, but now they are incredit le close friends. And this woman, before Law and Order had taken off, she and a friend wrote a one woman show called Black Girl Blues, and she got it. She produced it, and we went to go see a screening of it, and it is she walks up on stage. She only the only thing she ever outfit changes or whatever, is like essentially how her hair is done, or the shoes she's wearing, or how her shirt is tied, just because she plays three different black women who are their lives are kind of intertwined but they don't know it. And she is standing on stage for ninety minutes, three totally different characters that you can just tell by the way she changed her dialect, her attitude and her delivery. And I, I mean, I've watched the woman's television show and she's a friend of mine. I like her. I knew she was talented. This thing ended and I went up door and I said, I don't know what I just saw here cause like you're like you were on stage by yourself for an hour and a half telling a story with no one else there. Just there's like an omniscient narrator that occasionally would chime in, but that's it. And not only did everyone follow it, people cried because of one of the scenes, like it was that. Yeah, that stuff is really really a unique talent, and I think I really respect the courage aspect of it. The this thing is gonna go ninety minutes and if it sucks, I'm gonna feel I'm gonna like I'm gonna be up here on the stage for ninety minutes, and if thirty minutes in, I'm like, oh, everyone in here hates it. I gotta just keep going, like the curage, like that courage is crazy, and yeah, I think it's wild. I think it's wild.
Speaker 1: All right. So you said you had a personal an ague.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, so so Colin. And I know this will this will sound confusing to you, but you know, I might have a reason for you to check Kansas City off your list of cities you haven't been to, because I in the spring am getting married in Kansas City. And now you might say, Nick you're married, and technically yes I am. However, you don't I think know this about me? Why my wife and I never had a wedding, didn't have any money. We had set aside money for a wedding, and then I got the job in Houston and so we moved, and the money we set aside for the wedding, we said, should we use it on a house? And she said yes, so we use it on down payment for a house. So she and I didn't quite a lope. But I mean we got married in Reno, Nevada with tw people there, and so it has always been promised that on or around our ten year anniversary we will have an actual, not a vow renewal, but a full blown wedding. Buddy, So we're having a full blown wedding there. There will be pomp and circumstance. And while you will get an official invitation in the mail, I'm delivering it to you now as you can be part of my la contingent that goes to the wedding.
Speaker 1: I didn't know Kansas City had an airport because my entire life, I've never walked through an airport and seen a sign to Kansas City. I swear to God, now I'm in Salt Lake all the time because I have a place in Park City. I see London, I see Paris, I've never seen.
Speaker 2: So here's the thing. You know, what's very funny. So up until a year ago, not only did Kantady have an airport, I would argue, we had the greatest airport. And here's why. Now, literally no restaurants, literally no, no, no, no, no restaurants. There's no there. There might there was like one peaked coffee shop. But here's how it worked. Every gate you got out of your car, you walked into the airport, you walked to your gate, and each gate had its own security just for the gate. So there was no security line because every every gate there was eighteen gates, eighteen little X ray machines and whatever it is, it would you would, honest to god, you could walk get out of your car at seven o'clock and be sitting and you know, waiting for your plane at seven oh four. It was the most convenient airport in the world. But because there was literally no restaurants and no amenities whatever, a lot of plays didn't fly into it. And so much to my chagrin, they redid it, and now it's big and fancy and there's restaurants and whatever, and I hate it. Everybody loves it, but I hate it. It's like a big international airport now. But it says it's not my charming kans at the airport. But yes, it has an airport. And yeah, and I'm getting married to my lovely wife and it's I know, it's weird said I'm getting married to my wife, but I am. And so we're doing that in the spring and it'll be a hell of a time. It'll be a big party, you know what I mean. It might be the social event unless Kelsey and Swift get married. It's gonna be the social event of the year in Kansas City. Not a lot of big social events. Come on, give me a rick. The volume