Speaker 1: It's media podcast. Welcome to Meet Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins. I'm your host, Spencer Newhart, and today we're joined by Seth Morris, Corey Caulkins, Melissa Smith, Hillary Burne, Max Barta, Roman Snowbrick, Clay Newcombe, and Logan Dove. This is a ten round quiz show with questions from meat eaters four verticals which are hunting, fishing, conservation and cooking, and there is a prize. Meat Eater will donate five hundred dollars to the conservation organization of the winners choosing. Now, Phil update the room here on why you look the way you look? And I don't mean that about like.
Speaker 2: I can talk about that to Yeah. Sure, the year was nineteen ninety and no, I was supposed to take a vacation this week. I wasn't going anywhere as it wasn't a big deal. Than Spencer asked if we could do trivia because this is the only week week we could do it. But I'm in vacation mode, you know, like you know, I wear this for every vacation I take. Definitely didn't get it off the clearance racket target, but yeah, so that's why I'm here. Got a teka mug, I'm ready to roll. So hold on, you're on vacation, but you're just staying in town.
Speaker 3: Yeah, staycation.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's staycation.
Speaker 2: It's it's the it's kids, kids, first week at school, get a lot of stuff to buy and pack and prepare and oh wow.
Speaker 1: The point is Phil is a company man. That's why he's here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 1: Good, can believe have done that?
Speaker 4: That's a dedicated employee.
Speaker 1: Birthday and it's Seth's birthday. Seth? How old are you today?
Speaker 3: Thirty two?
Speaker 1: Big plans? No, okay, nothing at all.
Speaker 3: No, maybe I'm going to go out to dinner with my wife.
Speaker 1: Oh where are you going? Let me get the sack.
Speaker 3: No okay, no I go there too much land of magic, I think, so yes, oh yeah, here you go. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now, this isn't any regular old game of Meat Eater Trivia. This is episode two of the twenty twenty Meat Eater Trivia Tournament. There are four episodes total, and by the end of the last one we'll have crowned a champion of Meat Eater Trivia for twenty twenty three. Now, this game will have spoilers, so if you haven't heard episode one yet, then pause this and go back and listen to the first show. All right, everyone's had a chance to do that. Everyone's heard episode one. How does the room feel about playing with these steaks being so high? I'm nervous all the time. So okay, it's good practice for hunting season. Oh there you get on the pressure. Yeah, now, Clay should not feel any of the nerves. He actually can advance to the next round. It was just coincidence. He's in the office today, but he won't be around next week when.
Speaker 5: We record the game.
Speaker 1: The game, that's a good way to put it.
Speaker 3: Here's a question. If he wins, does he still get to donate to the org of his choice.
Speaker 1: We'll talk about that at the end. We're doing the donation a little bit differently in the tournament, so there's another little wrinkle for us. So here's how this is going to work. Episode one was a qualifying round with seven players, two of which got to move on to the championship. Those two players were Cal and Hansei. Episode two is also a qualifying round with seven new players, two of which will also move on to the championship. Episodes three and four are the championship rounds. Those will feature Cal and Hansei from episode one, as well as our reigning champion, Brody Henderson, Steven, Ronella, Giannis, Putellus, and Randall Williams. Brody, Steve, Giannis and Randall have the most victories in twenty twenty three, so they're getting an automatic buy to the championship for the STAB of the Week. This week, we're looking at the performance of players in last year's tournament qualifying episodes. In the two play in shows from twenty twenty two, the minimum score needed to reach the championship round was a five. Maggie Hudlow, Corey Calkins, and Seth Morris each got five correct answers in their games to move on to the final episode. Now, I'll tell you in the last episode that we just record or did we had four players go to a tiebreaker with four correct answers, So four or five it's probably what you're going to need to make it to episodes three and four.
Speaker 3: Are we getting the same questions as those.
Speaker 1: You're not getting the same questions?
Speaker 3: Oh, yeah, I guess this is Yeah, it wouldn't be fun for the listeners. Yeah, it was all the same. Never mind.
Speaker 4: I was a stupid question. Sorry, Spencer, No, it's okay.
Speaker 1: It's a good question and I'll address it in a second your set. Here's our zero percent er question of the week, which tests how much knowledge players have retained from previous shows. This question was from from a qualifying round last year. The topic was hunting, and nobody got it right. What biblical figure was the great grandson of Noah and described as a mighty hunter before the Lord? Clay, I'm gonna have you sit in silence for a second to see if the rest of our room can come up with the correct answer. As a reminder, this was from a qualifying round last year. Nobody got it right. If you know the answer, you can just shout it out. What biblical figure was the great grandson of Noah and described as a mighty hunter before the Lord? Any Boddy know it? Any guesses?
Speaker 3: I remember getting this wrong?
Speaker 1: Us tell us the answer? Clay his I'll give you a hint.
Speaker 5: His name rhymes with Ramrod Nimrod.
Speaker 1: The correct answer was Nimrod. The incorrect answers were Solomon Sampson, John Saint, Hubert, Josiah, and for some reason, Max still thinks it's Lyon. You said Lyon in last year's episode, and now you said lion again. Lion is still not right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, still got it wrong.
Speaker 1: Now we don't have any housekeeping for today's show, but here's one final note about the tournament before we move on. Listeners with a keen ear will notice that the questions from this week and last week resemble each other because they're both qualifying rounds. I design the scripts to have similar themes and difficulties, so they're not the same question, seth, but they are similar.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: The Shelby inext for today's round is a three, so our winner should get six correct answers. And with that we're onto the game of trivia. Play the drop fill. Look, I need to know what I stand and wind everything? How's that? Just tend to win everything? Demon Suckers Round two?
Speaker 3: Oh wow.
Speaker 1: Question one. The topic is public lands, and as always, this will be multiple choice. Which of these animals is not found in Idaho's Boise National Forest? Is it a prong horn, cocony, salmon, gopher, snake or Roosevelt elk? If you don't know, you can see the question on the TV behind you. Corey Clay Roman again, the question is Which of these animals is not found in Idaho's Boise National Forest, pronghorn, cocony, salmon, gopher, snake, or Roosevelt Elk. And we have vacation Phil putting a nice little touch on the first question with the waiting room music.
Speaker 3: This reminds me of SpongeBob.
Speaker 2: I thought the same thing, you know, for copyright reasons. No it's not, but it actually isn't. No royalty free SpongeBob adjacent.
Speaker 1: U uh huh. Which of these animals is not found in Idaho's Boise National Forest, pronghorn, cocony, salmon, gopher, snake, Roosevelt Elk? Who has been to the Boise National Forest? Nobody? Okay, Now does everybody have an answer? Which of those is not found there?
Speaker 5: I've got an illustration too.
Speaker 1: Okay, that'll be helpful. Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Seth saying Roosevelt Elk, Logan saying Roosevelt, Max saying Roosevelt, Hillary saying cocony, salmon, Alyssa saying gopher snake, Roman saying, Clay saying Roosevelt Elk. And in the little time he had, he drew a beautiful Roosevelt Elk. Cordy saying Roosevelt Elk. The correct answer is Roosevelt Elk. The room did very well. The closest Roosevelt Elk to the Boise National Forests are about three hundred miles to the west in Oregon. There are pronghorn in the southern part of the forest, cocony salmon that are native to the northern part of the forest, and gopher snakes are found throughout the forest. The Boise National Forest is the sixth biggest national forest in the country. Question two. The topic is hunting. This next great question comes to us via Steve Corson. If you have a question you think is right for Meat Eater Trivia, you can send it to Trivia at the meadeater dot com. Name one of the ten most popular female dog names in twenty twenty two, according to the American Kennel Club.
Speaker 5: I wish you would have said male dogs because I think Max is like top three.
Speaker 1: So let me tell you this Max. Last episode, the question is name one of the top ten male dog names. Max was number one. Nice damn This time, though, I need you to tell me one of the ten most popular female dog names in twenty twenty two according to the American Kennel Club Clay, how many dogs do you own?
Speaker 4: H currently?
Speaker 1: Just three?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 4: Just three?
Speaker 3: Only three?
Speaker 5: Man, it's a sad story. But my best coon dog died back in December. Oh and then that fern.
Speaker 4: Oh man, yep, and.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so I've only got three.
Speaker 1: What's the biggest that the Newcomb Kennel has ever gotten?
Speaker 5: I think I've had six at one time. Okay, And that's I mean, that's just common. It's like not even bad. And I six hunting dogs in Arkansas.
Speaker 1: And when you're naming a dog, do you think that you are using some of the popular names or are you always going off the board? Would any dogs ever show up in the top ten? Have you ever had a Max? No?
Speaker 5: I don't think so. I don't think we'd have any Okay, we like to name dogs human names. M Okay, yeah, like Tim.
Speaker 6: Tim's my favorite dog besides my own dog.
Speaker 1: Does everybody have an answer for one of the ten most popular female dog names? How many dog owners do we have in this room? Everybody except Logan and Roman? Okay, do you have a dog? I do not. I'm an aspiring dog owner.
Speaker 4: He's a big cat guy.
Speaker 1: Big, huge cat guy almost a big a cat guy is Seth. Does everybody have an answer? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Seth saying Greta, Logan saying Atlas, Max saying Bella, Hillary saying Sadie, Alyssa saying Lucy, Roman saying Rosie, Clay saying Sadie, and he drew a Sadie, well done, play Corey saying Dolly. The ten most popular female dog names are Luna, Bella, Daisy, Lucy, Willow, Penny, Sadie, Maggie, Rosie and Ruby. For anyone who doesn't know, Max's name is Max, which is the most popular male dog name, and his dog's name is Ruby, which is tenth on the list.
Speaker 2: A really quick spencer. That was a lot of names for me to sort through. All you're reading those off, I know Max got it? Can everyone else who got that?
Speaker 4: Rank?
Speaker 3: And you raise your hand please? Yeah it's pretty good.
Speaker 1: Just missing the top ten where Nova, Stella, Lily, Nala, Piper, Bailey, and Coco. And just like with last week, some of these were also among the top names for human girls. Luna is ranked highest and ten. That's followed by Willow at thirty seven, Lucy yet forty eight, Ruby at sixty two, Saydy at sixty eight, Bela at eighty five, and Daisy at one twenty five.
Speaker 5: Hey, I could I just give some shorty gue on dog naming. The biggest mistake the new COM's ever made was we had we wanted to name a dog Scout. Now that's a killer.
Speaker 1: Dog for a second. Now and last week you had to name one of the most popular male dog names. Cal said, Scout. That was not right.
Speaker 5: Well, exactly, see we're not we're not following the trends. But that's like an el primo dog name. We got this plot and it in my family wanted to name it Scout, and I was like, man, it's risky. I don't know if this dog is gonna make it, you know, if it was gonna make a good hunting dogs, because I wouldn't keep it if it wasn't. And it didn't make it. We named the dog Scout, and now that the dog wasn't, that great name's ruin forever. So if you have a really great name, wait to name the dog.
Speaker 1: It's tough.
Speaker 5: It takes a lot of discip.
Speaker 1: Cal's advice for naming a dog was make sure you're comfortable yelling that name in a crowded park. That's good, so comfortable yelling at in public, and something that you don't want to ruin for eternity. Question three, the topic is conservation. Which of the seven natural wonders of the world is home to native fish like the humpback chub, razorback sucker, and blue head sucker? And the topic is conservation? Which of the seven natural wonders of the world is home to native fish like the humpback chub, razorback sucker, and blue head sucker. Seth with a confident answer, do you even know?
Speaker 3: If I can name one of the seven wonders in the world.
Speaker 1: That's a good place to start think about what they are? Corey, do you have this one?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: You have some confidence? It appears I thought I had it, and now you gotta think. Seth, do you have this one?
Speaker 7: M M?
Speaker 3: I'm torn between two. Okay, didn't Biden just say there was nine of.
Speaker 1: The natural wonders? One of his mess ups one of the seven natural wonders tell him to native fish like the humpback chob razorback sucker and blue head sucker. Logan, you also were quick to answer. Do you have this one right? You think maybe?
Speaker 3: I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: It's reminder a lot on the line. Two of you will get to move on to the championship.
Speaker 5: Totally guessing. But I've got a drawing to go.
Speaker 3: Let one.
Speaker 1: Okay, is everybody ready.
Speaker 3: I'm getting thrown? Yeah, man, Torn.
Speaker 1: It's everybody ready. Yeah, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Seth saying Niagara Falls, Logan saying Galapagos Islands, Max saying Nile River, Hillary saying Great Barrier, Reef Alyssa saying Niagara Falls, Roman without an answer, Clay saying Nile River, Corey saying Grand Canyon. We have a correct answer in the room. It's the Grand.
Speaker 3: Canyon, right.
Speaker 1: The Grand Canyon portion of the Colorado River is known for large floods, freezing winter temps, hot summer temps, and lots of sediment. As a result, this unique ecosystem only has eight native fish, three of which have been extirpated. One of the biggest challenges the Grand Canyon native species face are invasive fish like trout, bass, and catfish.
Speaker 5: Can you tell us what the wonders of the world are?
Speaker 1: I can't tell you them all Alyssa said Great Barrier Reef, which was actually the answer to last week. Sorry, Hillary said, great Beary Reef. That was the answer to last week's version of this question. I don't know what the other ones are. I think the I don't think Niagara Falls is one. I don't think the Nile, the big Victoria Falls that's one of them. I don't know. I can't I don't recall question four. The topic is biology. What does the USGS stand for as in the Federal agency? What does the us GES stand for as in the Federal Agency? The confident room, all writing very quickly, I'm going to look up these seven natural wonders of the world. We have Mount Everest, Harbor of Rio de Janeiro, Great Barrier Reef, Victoria Falls, Perracotino Volcano, Grand Canyon, and Aurora Borealis. There are your seven natural wonders of the world. But we are on question four. What does the USGES stand for? Cal or excuse me, Clay, did you draw us something for this? Yeah? Okay, looking forward to it. This is this a nice little t spelled it wrong? Okay? It's everybody ready?
Speaker 3: Uh a second Max Max show? Everyone boy.
Speaker 1: Waiting on Max and Alyssa, what does the U S g S stand for? Clay, can you tell us what you're doing here in town?
Speaker 5: Actually I'm not sure that I can.
Speaker 1: I feel like everything is always spoiled. Okay, it's a secret project. That's what we'll say. Then, Phil said, Phil gave this answer in the background, which I trust Phil's gut, which is to say it's.
Speaker 3: A future audio project.
Speaker 5: Okay, yeah, very exciting. Can everybody just be excited? I'm like, wow, that's great.
Speaker 1: That's great, Clay.
Speaker 4: Are you going to be hearing your voice?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're excited about Yeah.
Speaker 1: Maximus, what are we doing over here? Hillary is rolling her eyes at you. She's over whatever you're doing a lot of pressure. Is everybody ready more erasing and reveal your answers. We have sat the saying United States Geological Survey, Logan saying United States Geological Service, saying United States Geographic Geographic Studies, Hillary saying United States Geologic Survey, Melissa saying United States Geological Services, Romans saying United States Geological Survey, Clay saying United States Geologic Survey, Cory saying United States Geological Service. The correct answer is United States Geological Survey, I don't think we're going to give it to you. If you only said geologic. Now this is a proper noun, which I think will.
Speaker 3: That is very I think.
Speaker 1: I think it's got to be.
Speaker 5: Geological, geological, geologic.
Speaker 1: Can we help out, Phil If you got that right? United States Geological Survey, raise your hand?
Speaker 2: I think because I marked everyone who said survey, and then I also marked Hillary and Clay. But if they don't get it, then I'll remove their going to give it.
Speaker 5: Clearly the answer needs the pivot point was on the survey.
Speaker 3: Yeah, huh, yeah, clearly geological.
Speaker 1: I don't think we're going to give it to you. We're gonna stick with geological. The USGS is the nation's largest water earth in biological science and civilian mapping agency. They were founded in eighteen seventy nine with the goal of studying our landscape, our natural resources, and our natural hazards. They are a fact finding organization with no regulatory responsibility. Question five, the topic is gear the real tree corporate headquarters are located in this state? Confidence Seth, Corey and Clay. Again, the question is the real tree corporate headquarters are located in this state? You know this one Seth, I have.
Speaker 3: A pretty good idea.
Speaker 1: You know this one, Clay, Yeah, Clay.
Speaker 5: I mean not to their headquarters. No, I've been to the state.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's a hint. If everyone, if anyone knows Clay's whereabouts. The Real Tree corporate headquarters are located in this state. This is question five. We'll get a scoreboard update from Phil after this. The Real Tree corporate headquarters are located in this state. What did you draw for us on this one, Clay? Did you draw a shape of the state? More? Okay, I like it.
Speaker 8: I'm very excited, draw like Hardwoods HD or something.
Speaker 1: It's everybody ready. Clay even hands a brown marker. Uh, just for drawing whatever he whatever he can come up with. Is everybody ready? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Seth saying Georgia, Logan saying Wisconsin, Max saying Georgia, Hillary saying Missouri, Alyssa saying Texas, Roman saying Tennessee. Clay saying Georgia. He drew Georgia plus a peach. Well done, Corey saying Mississippi. The correct answer is Georgia. The room did pretty well, Claike, can you.
Speaker 3: Do me a favor.
Speaker 1: We turn your board when you draw a picture because we can't see it over here. Oh yeah, show show everyone a good little treat the Real Tree corporate excuse me. Bill Jordan started Real Tree in nineteen eighty six when he sketched his first camel pattern in his parents' front yard. The brand took off when Jordan got a booth at Shot Show, which helped him open his first facility in a rented church in Columbus, Georgia.
Speaker 5: And you know, the folks down in Georgia call him Bill Jorden.
Speaker 3: Okay, it's true.
Speaker 1: They call him that in Arkansas or not.
Speaker 5: You know, I would tend to say Jordan because you know.
Speaker 1: You're a Yankee, but not that way.
Speaker 2: But you're also a mister Akern over here, so we got to respect the region.
Speaker 1: Jordan, right there, Bill Jordens, Phil, we are halfway through the game of trivia. Give us a scoreboard update.
Speaker 2: Yeah, everyone's on the board this time. We've got Logan, Hillary and Alyssa with one apiece, Roman and Corey have two, and all tied up in first place with three points are Seth, Max and Clay.
Speaker 1: Oh very fun. Question Question six. The topic is cooking and Oklahoma style burger patty is smothered with this vegetable. The room is stumped. An Oklahoma style burger patty is smothered with this vegetable. Clay, you are the closest thing we have to an Oklahomaan and you have no idea? Okay, h an Oklahoma style burger patty is smothered with this vegetable. Hmm, Logan, I think you were the quickest to have an answer. Is he's just a guess? Do you know it?
Speaker 3: Uh? No, I'm kind of just guessing.
Speaker 1: Okay, Oh the vegetable?
Speaker 5: Where did you find this? Wikipedia?
Speaker 1: Everywhere? You call up in Oklahoma and you know after this and you ask him or or you ask her.
Speaker 5: I'm pretty close to an Oklahoma I.
Speaker 3: Know hold On would change.
Speaker 1: An Oklahoma style burger patty is smothered with this vegetable. Is everybody ready?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 3: Think I spelled it right.
Speaker 1: Corey is feeling the pressure over here. I'm due to borroway fly rod from him, which may not happen. He may have conveniently forgotten it if if he does not advance in this game. It is everybody ready looking for the vegetable.
Speaker 5: I don't even have a creative answer.
Speaker 1: Okay, no pictures, but you have an answer? Me answer and does it? Does it lack a picture this time? Nope.
Speaker 5: I'm uninspired by this question.
Speaker 1: As harsh as Clay could be. I think Max, are you ready? Everybody ready? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Seth saying choke, Logan saying onions, Max saying green chili, Hillary sang poblano pepper, Melyssa saying onion, Roman saying jlapino, Clay saying onions, Cory saying onions. We have a correct answer, it's onion. The room did pretty well, lacking confidence. The recipe was created during the Great Depression as a way to make more burgers with less beef. Oklahoma onion burgers star as a ball of meat that's generously seasoned with salt and pepper and then topped with a fistful of onions before getting smashed into a hot griddle. You can learn how to cook one by checking out Justin Townsend's recipe on the medeater dot com called Venison Oklahoma Burgers.
Speaker 2: Cory Corey put the cell phones.
Speaker 1: Away, but we're getting a lot of feedback in our ears or airplane modew Does that seem familiar to anybody in Oklahoma? Onion burger a smash burger that is smothered with onions?
Speaker 3: Is it kind of the same as a Patty Milt.
Speaker 1: Would be very similar. Go to the medeater dot com. You'll get Justin Townsend's recipe. They look delicious. Question seven. The topic is hunting. Mike Huntsucker and Sean Looktel started this archery hunting show in two thousand and seven. Mike Huntsucker and Sean Looktel started this archery hunting show in two thousand and seven. We have a confident Seth, a confident Clay who is also drawing us a nice picture logan. Do you know this? One?
Speaker 3: Another guess?
Speaker 1: Okay, Max? Do you know this? Mike and Sean Locktell.
Speaker 3: Shout out to Mike. He's a good dude. I like that guy.
Speaker 1: Mike is going to be getting one of our prototypes of the med Eater trivia game so he can give me some feedback and what he thinks. Mike Contucker and Sean Locktell started this archery hunting show in two thousand and seven. Have you watched their show? Clay? Are you?
Speaker 5: Oh? Yeah?
Speaker 1: How about you Seth big fan.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, a big fan Max.
Speaker 1: That's called What's it all Clay and it's.
Speaker 3: Probably one of the longest running out there.
Speaker 5: Can we can I say something now rather than later while these have some time, not it wouldn't give anything away, then go ahead. Trust their show was one of the first hunting shows that introduced really high quality cinematic exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So when they were doing it, and there were some other people involved back in the day, but I mean it was like groundbreaking stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because their show and I felt like Meat Eater had a similar sensibilities. It looked like it was produced by professionals rather than produced by hunters or wranglers, which is what a lot of outdoor content tends to look like. It's everybody ready, great, Wait.
Speaker 5: A minute, that was like a backhand. These guys are hunters and anglers. Look like it got made by hunters and anglers.
Speaker 1: But they also their their content looks like they are professionals in.
Speaker 5: That industry, cinema professionals, like they.
Speaker 1: Could work, they could make commercials for TV, they could do anything. It is everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Seth saying Heartland bow Hunter, Logan saying hunting public, Max saying full draw, Hillary saying bow and arrow, Alyssa without an answer, Roman saying total archery. Clay saying Heartland bow Hunter. He drew a person at full draw, great drawing, Corey saying Heartland. The correct answer is Heartland bow Hunter. Because I was a stickler on the USGS. I don't think we're going to give it to you, Corey. I don't think Heartland is good enough. Clay, what do you think, Clay?
Speaker 4: This is.
Speaker 5: This guy right here. I'll go to bat for him any day. Give him the point.
Speaker 1: You've heard the point. I'm a petition with him, and I would say that fly or not. Max, you want to give him the point.
Speaker 4: I would accept anything Max.
Speaker 1: Wants to give him.
Speaker 4: Is there another show called Heartland?
Speaker 1: We should google the Heartland Waterfowl.
Speaker 5: That's true, Yeah, but it would kind of be like saying, what's the name of the company that Steve Miller runs and we'd say meat.
Speaker 7: Which it would which would not be meat is a culinary brand different, Corey, We're not going to give it to you.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry. It's it's nice called Heartland. Heartland bow Hunter was born after the group invented a camera tree arm that specifically made for whitetail bowhunters. Since then, they've created sixteen seasons of the show, along with a spinoff called Heartland Waterfowl. The Heartland Bowhunter Team has also started making video content for Meat Eater, which you can watch on our YouTube channel. In twenty twenty four, Question eight, the topic is fishing. This type of sinker with an alliterative name was created by a North Dakota wileye angler in nineteen sixty four. The room is slow to come up with an answer. This type of sinker with an alliterative name was created by a North Dakota walleye angler in nineteen sixty four. Oh boy, Max is the closest thing we have do in North Dakota, North Dakota, and he doesn't know it. I think I know what you're talking about, but I thought he was from somewhere else. This type of sinker with an alliterative name was created by a North Dakota walleye angler in nineteen sixty four. Clay, this would be one of your blind spots potentially. Do you think you have this one right? But he's going to draw us something anyway, this is question eight. We'll get a scoreboard update from Phil after this. It's a sinker with an alliterative name, and it was created by a North Dakota WALLEYE. Angler in nineteen sixty four. Seth, you have an answer.
Speaker 3: How do you feel about it? Not good? Yeah? I feel like you're our guy. Yeah. I probably used this thing a thousand times, but I don't know.
Speaker 1: Is everybody ready?
Speaker 4: I just don't.
Speaker 1: Max, it looked like your humunculus helped you out there. Did you think you come up with the credit with the correct answer? I think so. It is everybody ready? Go ahead and reveal your answer. We have Seth saying split shot, Logan without an answer, Max saying bottom bouncer, Hillary without an answer, Alyssa saying dropper, Roman without an answer, Clay saying slip shot, Corey saying teardrop. Max got it. The correct answer is the bottom bouncer.
Speaker 5: Got it?
Speaker 3: Almost put that too, but yeah.
Speaker 1: Bob Meader invented the bottom bouncer after finding that his other sinkers were getting snagged too much while trolling. First, he tried putting the weight at the bottom of the wire, but found that it was more effective if he moved it up. The design didn't really catch on until the nineteen eighties, when a pair of South Dakota walleye guides started winning national tournaments using the weights from Devil's Lake. I don't know where he was from.
Speaker 3: I try to avoid bottom bounce. I think it's the boring thing.
Speaker 6: It's kind of an old man when I'm When I'm old and tired, I'll drink beer and bottom bounce.
Speaker 1: That's right. As young guns, we like to pitch jigs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right, Phil.
Speaker 1: We have two questions left. I think it just got interesting. Give us a leader board update.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've got Hillary with one point, Roman, Logan and Alyssa. I'll have two points apiece. Corey has three. Sorry, Corey got Seth and Max with four, and Clay is in first place with five points.
Speaker 3: I can't move on.
Speaker 1: Clay will not advance.
Speaker 5: What if I came back next week?
Speaker 1: If you come back, you'll play. You'll make it.
Speaker 5: Five hundred dollars to pay for a p.
Speaker 1: We'll start We'll start a what is a five oh travel? Question?
Speaker 6: Nine?
Speaker 1: The topic is conservation. This is our listener Question of the Week, which was won by Wyatt Flesher for sending this great question, Wyatt is going to get a book signed by Steve. Three years after the Kyahoga River went up in flames, this legislation was passed so that it would never happen again, Clay, if you didn't know in Roman, the question is behind you on the TV. If that that will help you at all, here's the question again. Three years after the Cayahoga River went up in flames, this legislation was passed so that it would never happen again. Seth, do you think you have this one right?
Speaker 3: I think I'm close.
Speaker 1: Logan you were? You were the quickest to answer. Do you think you have this one right?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think so?
Speaker 2: Is that really?
Speaker 3: Where's that river that Becky's not gonna help you?
Speaker 1: Max and Logan? Do you guys agree with each other's answers or do you have something different?
Speaker 3: I don't think there's any sharing of answers. I shared with him.
Speaker 1: But three years after the Kyahoga River went up in flames, this legislation was passed so that it would never happen again. Corey, are you now protesting the game after the Heartland answer?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: No, I am still upset, but I just don't have an answer to this one.
Speaker 5: I crossed out. I crossed out my previous answer, which won't county.
Speaker 1: We'll acknowledge it.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean you don't have to acknowledge it. Just it just felt like a waste of erase.
Speaker 2: It so much more modest than Steve was like read my answer.
Speaker 1: Is everybody ready? Corey, are you gonna come up with an answer? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Seth saying Clean Water Act, Logan saying Clean Water Act, saying Clean Waste Act, Hillary's saying Clean Water Act, ELSA without an answer, Roman without an answer, Clay saying the Clean Water Act. He crossed out the Kyahoga Act, and he drew a bunch of flames. Corey without an answer. The correct answer is the Clean Water Act. The room. I did pretty well.
Speaker 3: I was one letter off.
Speaker 1: The Clean Water Act, which is technically called the Federal Water Pollution Control Act, is the primary federal law that governs water pollution. The bill was originally vetoed by President Richard Nixon, who said it was too expensive, but the next day the Senate and House both voted to override his veto, which got the bill to pass. Phil we are on too. Question ten, where does the leaderboard stand?
Speaker 2: Well for sure that Clay is not going to be coming back and he won't be able to raise enough on the GoFundMe page, ill I won't score.
Speaker 3: He's got six points.
Speaker 1: You're still winy.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, We've got Roman, Hillary, and Alyssa all with two points, and then Logan and Corey have three, Max has four, and Seth has five points.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we have Seth moving on. We have Max, who is has a one point lead with who is he barely beating.
Speaker 3: Corey and Logan.
Speaker 1: We would need Corey and Logan to get this right, Max to get it wrong to go to a tiebreaker, but we already know that Seth is going to the championship. Episode question ten, the topic is woodsmanship. This toy, which was invented in nineteen sixteen, inspired the name of a campfire building technique in which wood is stacked in a square pile around tinder. This toy, which was invented in nineteen sixteen, inspired the name of a campfire building technique in which wood is stacked in a square pile around tinder.
Speaker 3: You want the name of the toy, not the name.
Speaker 1: Of the toy.
Speaker 5: Hey can I, uh, what do you got?
Speaker 1: Clay Well, I.
Speaker 5: Was gonna go back to the Clean Water Act Bear Grease. We just did a big four part series on the Mississippi River. I went into it not knowing a lot really about the river. Huh. I interviewed some of the top river hydrologists and fisheries biologists with the corp of Engineers about the lower Mississippi and was kind of shocked to find out the health of the Mississippi River. Yeah, really strong. The fishery of the missis the body of the Mississippi River is incredibly robust. There are no endangered specie or no species have gone extinct out of the river.
Speaker 1: Sure it.
Speaker 5: It was pretty encouraging if.
Speaker 1: You had that conversation fifty years ago, though it probably would have been significantly more bleak. I saw a stat that it was like before the Clean Water Act, only one third of our waterways or safe to even swim in, and now I think they're up to like seventy five percent. It's everybody ready to name the children's toy. Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have saying Lincoln log Logan saying Lincoln log Max saying logs, building blocks, Hillary saying Lincoln logs, Alyssa saying Jenga, Roman saying Lincoln logs, Clay saying Lincoln logs, Corey saying Lincoln logs. The correct answer is Lincoln logs, which means we are going to a tiebreaker between Max and Cory and Logan.
Speaker 3: Whoa wow.
Speaker 1: The Lincoln log campfire is said to be the best style of campfire for cooking over. It's created by laying wood in alternating directions until you form a pile that resembles a log cabin. Lincoln Logs, which are in the National Toy Hall of Fame, were invented by the son of the famous architect Frank Lloyd Wright. Play the drop, Phil, we are going to overtime, TI, how they.
Speaker 2: Just cut it at if you ain't first your laughs and then like going to other stuff.
Speaker 5: It's funny.
Speaker 4: I never liked it, a Phil cough Man.
Speaker 1: Now to clear some things up, we have Clay who has won the game correct outright. We have Seth who would be moving on to the championship, and now we are finding out who the last competitor is between Mex, Logan and Corey to get the final spot. The tie breaking topic is cooking. This great question was sent by Caleb McClain. What percentage of Texas hunters said they always utilize feral hog meat by eating it or giving it away? This is a numerical question. I will have you right to one decimal point. The closest person to the correct answer will be declared the finalist for the championship episode. But everyone else should play along anyway, because if somebody hits it right on the nose, we will add an extra one hundred dollars donation to the end of the show. Here is the prompt again, what percentage of Texas hunters said they always utilize feral hog meat by eating it or giving it away? And this was a twenty twenty three survey given to four hundred hog hunters.
Speaker 5: I think, in honor of Bob Barker's death that if you go over, it shouldn't count.
Speaker 1: We never do the prices right rules. But maybe we'll close out the show with a different tagline instead of our usual one ninety nine.
Speaker 5: Did anyone see the meme of about how he got so close to one hundred without going over?
Speaker 1: That's good, that is good.
Speaker 3: I didn't see that but that's good.
Speaker 1: Does everybody have an answer for the percentage of Texas hunters who said they always utilize feral hog meat by eating it or giving it away? Again, we're down to Cory, Max and Logan. Everybody ready, Max, Oh, he's change change of heart to one percentage point writing, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Set saying eighteen percent. Hillary saying ninety three point three, Alyssa is saying seventy two point one, Roman saying sixty five, Clay saying thirty our three finalists, Corey saying thirty four percent, Max saying eighty eight point eight percent, Logan saying eighty two point five percent. The correct answer is forty eight percent, making Corey our winner.
Speaker 4: I deserved it.
Speaker 1: Corey forty eight percent said they always utilize the meat by eating it or giving away. Well done, Corey. I felt bad about the heartland question, but here you are anyway. Ball don't lie. That's what they say, right Clay, Ball don't lie.
Speaker 5: I've never heard that before.
Speaker 1: You say that. You say that to Chep sometime and then he'll he'll just be like, yeah, Dad, Ball don't lie. That's right. Well done, Corey and Seth. Moving on, These were two of our finalists last year as well, and here we are again the same two fellas going to the championship. How does it feel?
Speaker 3: Feels good? Yeah, I feel better, but I'm still pretty upset.
Speaker 1: Okay didn't even need the tiebreaker in Corey's opinion. Now, what would normally happen is Clay gets to choose where the five hundred dollars donation from Meat Eater goes. But because this is part of the tournament, we're doing something a little different. Here's what's going to happen. We are banking each donation until the end of the tournament. So instead of four five hundred dollars donations, the trivia champion is going to get is going to make one two thousand dollars donation. It'll be the biggest donation in Meat Eater trivia history. Very good, Clay. You could maybe lobby for Corey and Seth in case they make it to the championship and win.
Speaker 5: Thinking about how five dollars a week is a pretty generous donation. We lost one hundred.
Speaker 1: We start off with one hundred. The Meat Eater was willing to up it. I think we're over thirty thousand dollars now that we've given to conservation organizations from the show. Yeah, that's big, very exciting. Corey and Seth moving on. Thanks job guys. Next week next week starts. It will be two episode championship. It's going to be twenty questions to determine our winner instead of just ten. Very excited. Join us next time for more Meat Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins. And make sure you spay and neuter your pets, all right, that's what Bob Barker always said. Clay suggest