Speaker 1: Look who's back. It's the Inside Scoop with FT Senior Insider Ken Rosenthal. Ken, it is good to see you. And I'm going to dive into the Red Sox first. We'll eventually get to the Astros and the Marlins and some storylines there. Roman Anthony is going to come back this week. I don't know if we have the exact day down yet, but it's crazy. They've done this without him. And I remember most of the season talking to you and being like, hey, the Red Sox were hoping he was going to be their main man. Well, can he do that for the last month?
Speaker 2: What will he be when he comes back?
Speaker 3: It's the question we always have with injured players. What will Aaron Judge be when he comes back? They've got Trevor Story and Isaiah Kainer-Falefa coming back as well. A severe roster crunch awaits because some of the players who have replaced the injured guys have done really well. And now we're seeing it with Nick Sogard. We've seen it with Monasterio and some of the others. So it's a really interesting situation there. And obviously with Roman Anthony..
Speaker 2: If he can.
Speaker 3: Produce at anywhere near the level that he expected, it gives them a further boost.
Speaker 4: Ken, is there an expectation on crochet? Is he going to come back and be in the bullpen? Isn't that kind of what they're talking about with crochet?
Speaker 3: There is, I wouldn't say an expectation, but a possibility of that happening. And yeah, it would not be as a starter. There's not enough time to build up as a starter, but perhaps as a reliever and we'll see where that goes.
Speaker 4: Is it expected? Roman Anthony is supposed to be back when? Soon, right? Today? Next week. Darn it, Ken. I was hoping he'd be in the lineup on Saturday when you get to talk about him on Fox.
Speaker 2: I don't expect that to happen.
Speaker 3: From what I'm reading, and this is coming from the Red Sox beat reporters, that Story and Isaiah Kainafalefa are expected back shortly, any day now. So those moves are going to happen, and then they're going to have a situation with Anthony where Their outfield's crowded already.
Speaker 2: We know that. And they're going to have to make some decisions.
Speaker 5: Of those other two, Isaiah Conner for left and Trevor Story, is there an expectation that maybe they don't slot into starting? Not that it's going to delay their rehab, but there's, like you said, guys that are having success since they've been out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know how they're going to play it.
Speaker 3: And Eric, it's going to be an interesting thing because you've seen with this team, The players that we just discussed, Sigler and Monasterio and Sogard, these are the guys who have done a really good job in the absences of these other players and kind of helped the Red Sox get where they were. The roster became more functional with these guys kind of doing their thing and they're very versatile.
Speaker 2: So I don't know how this plays out.
Speaker 3: And there is a risk, I guess, some risk that Things aren't as good with these guys coming back as they were with the replacements. That's a challenge that manager Chad Tracy is going to face, and it's going to be a difficult one for him, I imagine. I'm sure we'll be discussing it on our broadcast Saturday because it's going to be live at that point.
Speaker 4: Ken, let's go to a different manager that's staying around, and that's Joe Espada. Dana Brown was let go by the Astros. Weird timing. I know Jim Crane isn't afraid to do this in the middle of a season. Was Joe Espada really told that he's not being brought back and then he elected to stick around for the rest of the year?
Speaker 3: Not from what our reporter Chandler Rome understands. And the Astros vehemently denied that. It was a report by Bob Nightingale yesterday. And Joe Espada, if he was in that position, he certainly has not acknowledged it.
Speaker 2: So I don't want to.
Speaker 3: Dump on anybody's report, but this was roundly denied.
Speaker 2: Now, is Joe Espada in trouble?
Speaker 3: By definition, he is in trouble, one, because he's in the last year of his contract, two, because the guy who hired him just got fired.
Speaker 2: So put those.
Speaker 3: Two things together and the fact that this team, I don't know if it's fair to say they've underachieved because a lot of what Dana Brown did did not work out. The pitchers he brought in, they never addressed the outfield adequately. That's on the GM, not the manager, and perhaps that's why the GM was fired when he was. But Joe Espada, at the very least, will have to deal with a new GM above him, and that always is perilous for a manager.
Speaker 4: Jim Crane doesn't fire managers, he fires GMs.
Speaker 5: Is it fair to say that this isn't a good move with other organizations, but has been decently successful for Jim Crane to fire GMs, even when he fired Click after they won a World Series?
Speaker 3: I don't know that the firing of Click can now be remembered as positive because, frankly, they've had more trouble under Dana Brown than they did under Click.
Speaker 2: And what Dana.
Speaker 3: Brown was brought in to do, one of the things was boost the farm system. He's a scouting background guy, and that really hasn't happened. Their farm system is not in great shape. Now, granted, they lost some picks back in 20 and 21 because of the scandal, but it's still... a good amount of time has passed and it should have been better by now. It's not better. So that is on Dana Brown. And it's also on Dana Brown, what I just said, the outfield, the pitching.
Speaker 2: Staff, the fact that this team is not all there.
Speaker 4: And he didn't.
Speaker 3: Sign as many players to his extent to extensions as he indicated he might. So I would not say that this worked out well for them. Dana Brown is well-liked.
Speaker 2: He's respected.
Speaker 3: He's smart, but he's, Did he do the optimal job there? I don't know that even Dana would say that.
Speaker 4: Bella, Bella, Bella, where? I don't know where Bella is, but I know how to take care of my pup.
Speaker 1: Kratz, while you find Bella, today's episode is sponsored by the ASPCA Pet Health Insurance Program. The ASPCA Pet Health Insurance Program offers customizable accident and illness plans that can fit your budget, your lifestyle, and even your pet's particular quirks. Because let's be honest, vet bills can add up fast. And when it's time to submit a claim, it's easy. Just use their app and receive reimbursement for eligible vet bills directly into your bank account so you can get back to focusing on what really matters, your pet. To explore coverage, visit aspcapetinsurance.com. That's ASPCApetinsurance.com slash F-O-U-L. This is a paid advertisement. Insurance is underwritten by either Independence American Insurance Company or United States Fire Insurance Company and produced by PTZ Insurance Agency Limited. The ASPCA is not an insurer and is not engaged in the business of insurance.
Speaker 4: All right. Can I have to ask a question then? Is Jim Crane the reason why this is happening? Because he doesn't love the extensions. He doesn't love long-term deals for pitchers. He doesn't, you know, from what we've heard, they were handcuffed by pick, pick, you know, the things with the cheating thing, all that stuff. So then you look at it and you say, okay, Dana Brown, did he want to trade for Carlos Correa? Apparently that was maybe a Jim crane thing, bringing Carlos Correa back, right? The extensions are on the owner. If Jeremy Pena, if, You know, whoever wants an extension, the owner has to agree to it. The GM, I'm sure, goes to him and says, hey, Jeremy, you want an extension? What do you want? If he says five years, 100, Jim Crane goes, no, too much. Well, then it ain't on Dana Brown. So how much does Jim Crane have to have to take for blame for this?
Speaker 2: Certainly a good amount.
Speaker 3: And they've made some bad decisions with contracts that were Jim Crane driven over the years as well. So, AJ, when you look at the whole thing, it's like with any team. It's always hard to discern, not always, but in many cases with clubs, it's hard to discern how much is the GM's fault and how much is the fault of the owner who might not be providing the resources that the GM would want. I can give you any number of examples in the game where that distinction is difficult to draw, where I don't know exactly if it's a money thing, if it's the GM's balking at certain things. There are all kinds of things that go on. But certainly, Crane is the owner of the team. He is the one who has said, we're not ever going to rebuild. Well, there are indications or times where perhaps you should rebuild. And you can make the case that the Astros could have done some things along those lines, but that's not the direction they chose.
Speaker 2: So here they are, and it's going to be.
Speaker 3: Really interesting to see who they replace Dana Brown with. Is it going to be Another first-time GM? That's what they've done. Luno, Click, Dana Brown, all were first-time guys.
Speaker 2: Or do they get someone more experienced?
Speaker 3: Or do they turn it to Jack Bagwell, who is in the front office and clearly has influence?
Speaker 4: Does he want it?
Speaker 2: Do they want him? All these questions.
Speaker 3: And there's going to be some other teams, of course, looking for GMs as well. Two in their own division right now are unsettled.
Speaker 2: So it's going to be an interesting offseason.
Speaker 4: Ken, you mentioned they don't want to rebuild. Last time they rebuilt, they tore it down. They came back stronger than ever. Correa, Bregman, all these guys, right? Altuve. And they won two World Series, went to the postseason for a bunch of years. Why is this organization so anti-rebuild after they were kind of the model franchise for doing it?
Speaker 3: Well, for one thing, AJ, you can't do it the same way anymore. There's a draft lottery now, and it's just different.
Speaker 1: You cannot..
Speaker 2: Tank the way you once did.
Speaker 3: There are disincentives to doing that and properly so. We needed that in the game. The other part of that is, and I'll say this on behalf of Jim Crane, you want an owner who is going to compete and you want an owner who says we're going for it every year in the way that they go for it. Obviously, it's not all in financially.
Speaker 2: We know that.
Speaker 3: But that is his approach, and that is an approach, frankly, we should applaud. Now, at the same time, there are moments in a franchise's evolution where it is time to take a step back, retool, and kind.
Speaker 2: Of keep going forward. There are teams that do that very well. Tampa Bay, Milwaukee, they.
Speaker 3: Can constantly retool and yet stay competitive.
Speaker 2: The Astros needed more of that, and they haven't done it.
Speaker 5: A team in a constant rebuild is the Marlins. You wrote a short little article about them getting rid of the scouts. Do you have any more information since that article came out about how many they got rid of, what their next step is with doing mostly video scouting?
Speaker 3: Well, this is something that has gone on with a number of teams and we don't know the exact number of people that were let go. My initial source told me six to eight. That sounds like the proper range or at least the accurate range for what this was. What the Marlins are doing is saying we can do this by video and they're going to have some in-person scouting. I don't know how much, but essentially they're going to do this by video. A lot of teams have made that choice in my opinion, It's not the right choice.
Speaker 2: Video is fine. And video gets you a lot. Does it get you everything?
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 3: Now teams will say that having a scout in the ballpark and what he might pick up either on players, I don't know, personal lives or different quirks in their work habits, whatever they might pick up is not worth the investment of having them on the road. I don't know about that being true. I don't necessarily buy that. To me, having eyes in the ballpark, there is value in it. And can I economically quantify it to maximize the efficiency, which is what all the teams want?
Speaker 2: No, I can't do that.
Speaker 3: But if you're telling me there's no value in that, that I would disagree with. At the same time, this is an economic decision teams have made. And it's not like the Marlins are the only one.
Speaker 5: Asking a few people around since you wrote this. they don't necessarily think it's all economic. Have you heard anything about the fact that video can be evaluated by artificial intelligence, AI, and teams are leaning into that and the Marlins are the most thought of as the most progressive, but have teams had success going to this model of video and less scouting?
Speaker 2: I don't know the exact answer to that, Eric.
Speaker 3: Obviously they do it And they do it because they believe it's going to lead to more success.
Speaker 2: And they believe it's a more efficient way of scouting. Is it making teams better or teams that were at the forefront of this better off than teams that weren't? I don't know the answer to that.
Speaker 4: Ken, there was a team that tried this a few, I don't know, about 20 years. I don't know how many years ago. It was the Oakland Athletics. And their drafts then went on to be some of the worst. Remember, they fired all their scouts right after Moneyball. Billy Bean had it all figured out. You know, him and Billy Bean, Paul DePodesta, who's actually, you know, now in Colorado. But, you know, they had it all figured out.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: Because just have guys that walk. And then they went and did all video scouting. Remember, they just looked at the numbers of guys in college and every draft was college hitters, college hitters. And they thought they all had it figured out and it didn't really work. And now they've gone back to having scouts. Is this a case where the Marlins could do this and then have to bring back scouts later?
Speaker 3: It is, but the trend in the game is not that way. And again, it's not something I agree with. And there are a lot of good people in baseball who have either lost influence or lost their jobs in recent years. And I know, as I said before, the answer that clubs will give you is these guys weren't all that and they weren't contributing as much as people like me think they were. And that may be all well and good. But what we don't hear about is what is missing with the video scouting and what teams might be missing and the decisions that are made that maybe aren't as shrewd as they should be. There are a lot of bad decisions made with all these clubs operating under this maximum efficiency that they claim to be pursuing.
Speaker 2: So yeah, they.
Speaker 3: Can operate how they want to operate and I understand it and I understand the economics of it and why they're doing it and they believe it's a better way to go about it. But You're telling me that it's improved decision-making across the game? I don't know that that is necessarily the case.
Speaker 1: For the families out there looking for a new path to help your child succeed, take a look at K-12 Powered Schools. K-12 offers tuition-free accredited online public education for students in kindergarten through 12th grade, It's all in a setting that works for your family. And K-12 has been around. They've been a leader in online education for over 25 years, serving over 3 million families with flexible education options tailored to each child's needs, interests, and goals for the future. K-12's dedicated teachers are trained in virtual instruction, and they provide real-time support. Hey, we've heard Todd Father on here talk about how his kids have gone through homeschooling, and it's really helped them for a family that is very much on the move during his playing career. So you can see how K-12 powered schools can help unlock your child's full potential. Enroll online today at k12. com slash foul. That's the letter K, the number 12.com slash F-O-U-L, k12. com slash foul. One clarification here too, can pro scouting department. So they're looking at minor league players via trades, waiver wire, scouting, obviously for the team itself on, hey, picking up tendencies, right? Like, can you, explain anything on that front and how that could affect the way that actually a team like the Marlins finds a diamond in the rough. They just feel like we can find the diamond in the rough via video. We don't need to have guys out or girls on the scene, finding a waiver claim that ends up being the next big thing for us.
Speaker 3: Well, you're right, Scott, that people should understand there are pro scouts who scout professional baseball and There are amateur scouts who scout amateurs, guys that are going to be drafted, and there are international scouts looking at the international players. Again, with the pro scouting, it has definitely been diminished across the board in recent years. Now, the Marlins have taken what seems to be a pretty severe step. It basically sounds like they've eliminated the entire department. They deny that, but it's certainly the guts of the department have been removed.
Speaker 2: There are other ways to scout.
Speaker 3: Yes. And that's what we're talking about here. Again, do you get everything you might get otherwise? These teams say no. And these teams say this is the way to go. And I don't have an exact answer. What I was just saying before is that, and this is a complaint I hear from more.
Speaker 2: Old school baseball people. Okay, they say.
Speaker 3: We hear about our bad decisions and we make mistakes. Everybody in baseball misses. That's the beauty of the game. It's a game of failure, not just on the field, but off the field.
Speaker 4: Fine.
Speaker 3: But what about the misses that occur under these new systems?
Speaker 2: They're not talked about.
Speaker 3: And that to me is a fair assessment that, yes, we've changed the game or the game has changed in many ways. And in some ways, definitely for the better, the technology and all the things that are available now, data, everything has given us a greater understanding as fans, media, and of course, from.
Speaker 2: A club perspective. But you still see mistakes.
Speaker 3: And that's the old school people's complaint.
Speaker 2: Hey, we made mistakes, sure.
Speaker 3: But there are mistakes still being made.
Speaker 4: Ken, it's so hard to replicate having a guy in the stands. You know this when you do games. In the stands, the atmosphere, watching a guy, the way they react to situations.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 4: That's the thing that I think the video– fine, you can measure bat speed. You can measure launch angle. You can measure all those things, pitch spin, all those things. But you can't measure a guy unless– I'm telling you, unless you're sitting in a dugout, unless you're sitting in the stands watching a guy, how they react to situations. And that's what I think we'll be missing. That's my comment. I mean, I think scouts are very valuable. I think video is very valuable. I think there should be a mix of the two. That's it. It's just really hard. to evaluate a guy's heart makeup, all those things without actually putting eyeballs on the guy.
Speaker 2: I want to see everything.
Speaker 3: I want to see what he's doing pregame in his pregame work. I want to see AJ, just what you said, how he's reacting to situations, body language, all of these things.
Speaker 2: You're not picking all of that up on video.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: You're not.
Speaker 3: So AJ, yeah, there is something that is lost when you eliminate the scout in the ballpark. And again, this is an argument that's been going on in the sport for years, and there are two sides of it.
Speaker 2: I just feel that the value.
Speaker 3: Of those in-person scouts has been diminished to the point where it's not right.
Speaker 2: These guys do have value.
Speaker 4: All right, last one, Ken.
Speaker 5: This weekend, you're the Yankees' the Vaunted, the unbelievable Yankees Red Sox series.
Speaker 4: What do you see or what are you intrigued.
Speaker 5: About seeing in the coming week and this weekend with the Yankees?
Speaker 4: With the Yankees?
Speaker 2: Well, obviously we're monitoring their injuries, right? Judge and Freed and.
Speaker 3: Who's coming back when. But they're trying to stay in the race in the AL East.
Speaker 2: With Tampa Bay, right?
Speaker 3: They're trying to possibly win the division title. So how are they going to respond to that? That's what we've been watching for a couple of months now with the injury situation. And Ryan Weathers is the latest. John Carlos Stanton's not coming back, it seems. So they still remain in this spot where they're not fully healthy, and they are still trying to compete. Every team is in this position, but they're missing some key pieces. So what we will see on the field, okay, it's pretty good.
Speaker 2: It's always pretty good. They're the Yankees. They're a quality team.
Speaker 3: But this is a big series for them because the Red Sox are chasing them, too, for that top wildcard spot. And It's always interesting when these teams get together, guys.
Speaker 1: Things seem to happen.
Speaker 3: And that's the nature of a rivalry game in many ways. But we never anticipated early in the season that this particular series would be meaningful.
Speaker 2: It's meaningful now.
Speaker 1: Oh, yeah. I love it. Always good fun to have the rivalry back.
Speaker 4: But, Ken, you're going to be in Atlanta, right, on Thursday for Dodgers Brewers?
Speaker 2: I will not be.
Speaker 4: Oh, sorry.
Speaker 2: Dodgers are playing the Brewers in Atlanta? That's interesting.
Speaker 4: I mean, Dodgers are great.
Speaker 2: Sorry.
Speaker 4: Sorry, Dodgers-Braves. Oh, the Braves used to be in Milwaukee, so, you know, you can understand why. They did, AJ.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: You're going to be in Atlanta for that game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I thought Ken might come for that game. You know, it's two first-place teams, you know. Oh, but it's only on FS1. Should have known, Ken. Should have known. It's on Fox 1, but it's not on Big Fox. So, Ken only does Big Fox.
Speaker 2: That is not true, but okay.
Speaker 1: Ken's like, Ken's very refreshed right now, just back from assignment. So, Ken, it's good to see you.
Speaker 4: Thanks, guys.
Speaker 2: Good to see you as well.
Speaker 1: All right, welcome back. See you soon. Ken Rosenthal, FT Senior Insider. You can catch him this weekend on Big Fox or on the Fox One app. You can catch AJ on Dodgers Braves Thursday. It's Yamamoto against Sale.
Speaker 4: I know, it's a great matchup.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 4: And Saturday with Ken, little Kenny.
Speaker 1: Oh, wow, you're on the Saturday.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Red Sox Yankees.
Speaker 1: The big boy.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Red Sox Yankees. All right, so at home or on the go, live or on demand, never miss a moment. Stream now. Start your Fox One three-day free trial today at foxone.com. Can we talk more about Kinley Rasmus, Little League World Series coverage presented by New York Life, the official financial guidance partner of Little League Baseball? You weren't on with us the other day. No. Kinley can sling it. Who? Kinley Rasmus, less than a week after tying Monet Davis, you remember Monet Davis in her run, who actually made a sick catch, went viral the other day in center field.
Speaker 4: Monet Davis?
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's playing as a college or pro.
Speaker 4: I think it's a pro league.
Speaker 1: It's a pro league. Okay. So after tying her for the strikeout record by a girl pitching in the Boys Little League World Series, right? She brought that total up to 14 for the tournament now overall, which ties Davis. And she helped lead Alabama to a 6-5 win in an elimination game against Pennsylvania.
Speaker 4: Yeah, of course she beat Pennsylvania.
Speaker 1: Corey Rasmus, her dad. knows how to pitch, and he taught her well if he was teaching her. Whoever taught her taught her well.
Speaker 4: Is she related to Colby Rasmus? It's got to be. Yeah. That's her uncle.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I didn't know you didn't say Colby. You said Corey.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm giving you both now.
Speaker 4: Jackass.
Speaker 1: Last time I said Colby, and then Kratz, didn't you say Corey? Because you know Corey, right? Did you play with Corey?
Speaker 7: No, no.
Speaker 4: I know Colby.
Speaker 5: And Corey is one of the four brothers in the Razzle Dazzle house.
Speaker 4: I homered off him. Corey Rasmus? Yeah.
Speaker 1: Nice.
Speaker 4: That's good. He's booked.
Speaker 1: There you go. Good. We're learning a lot here.
Speaker 4: I'm pretty sure.
Speaker 1: No, you better be sure.
Speaker 4: I think it's so cool. I'll let you find that.
Speaker 5: But Colby told me when we played together that his dad was always like, you boys, you got to make sure that your kids are athletic. I mean, these are guys that grew up in like a one-room house. The four Rasmus boys all grew up in this tiny little house together. And his dad was very much their hitting coach, pitching coach, all that. And he was like, he would instill it in their boys. Colby's like, yeah, my dad always said, we got to make sure my grandkids are athletic too. And like, that was like a thing. So the fact that Kenley... is following in both her uncle and father's footsteps.
Speaker 4: She's good.
Speaker 5: Like, yeah, she pitches really well, but that double play, she made another play where she fielded it.
Speaker 4: She can swing a little bit too.
Speaker 5: It's so cool to see, like guys you played with kids playing in the Little League World Series.
Speaker 1: It's time to remind everyone why baseball is glorious, especially nowadays where you could think your team is out of it, but they might be back in it again. Let me introduce you to the American League wildcard kp and let's tell everyone why they might need to head back to see geek grab some more tickets for what is a playoff race before the playoffs actually begin.
Speaker 7: Well speaking about being out of it i'm an american league east guy and i'm talking to you toronto fans i'm talking to you baltimore fans a couple weeks ago probably not a reason to come out to the games look at the standings right now both of you teams are right back in this.
Speaker 1: Wildcard race rangers fans we can go on and on Mariners fans, you might be feeling a little queasy, but you're still in this thing too. So all of you should head to SeatGeek and get yourself 10% off your next set of MLB tickets. 10% off MLB tickets with the promo code TERRITORY10. Make sure you click the link in the description to download the app and have the code automatically added to your account so that you can use it later.
Speaker 4: Sorry about it. Booked. One for one. One homer. One RBI. Whoops. Oopsie.
Speaker 5: I guess that's... I always wonder. I always wonder that. Like, I hit 31 big league homers. I wonder how many AJ could get right.
Speaker 4: What do you have? Do you have over 200? No, 180-something, 88, 89, something like that.
Speaker 5: How many do you think you could get right? Maybe this will be like extra content for everybody who subscribes. We can do extra content. Hit the like and subscribe button. But how many do you think.
Speaker 4: You could get right? Could you get half? Could you get three-quarters? I wouldn't get all of them, but I could give you a pretty good run. What would be easier?
Speaker 1: Half?
Speaker 4: What do you mean?
Speaker 1: Could you name half the pitchers, not right now, but that you homered off of if we sat down with you?
Speaker 4: I mean, it'd take me a while. I mean, if you threw me a name, I could give you a yes or no.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 4: That actually might be a fun game. I don't know if I could get all of them, but I could get– I feel like I could get most of them. I always said everybody– If you threw CeCe at me, yes. If you threw Verlander, yes. Scherzer, yes. Like those names.
Speaker 1: I want the Corey Rasmus name.
Speaker 4: I don't even know how that just popped in my head. But then I saw him pitch and I was like, I hit a homer off that dude. See, I love that. I love that.
Speaker 1: By the way, Monet Davis is in the Women's Professional Baseball League. That's where the clip was. And one more thing from the Little League World Series right now. Remember the Brewers and the Braves were there over the weekend. We got a little bit more from the weekend. Bryce Terang. and some of the Brew Crew players bought Little League World Series hats, and then they traded pins with the players so that they could pin up the hats. It's a big thing out there.
Speaker 4: But did they get to become pen pals?
Speaker 1: Pin pals.
Speaker 4: Pin pals.
Speaker 1: That's what it is.
Speaker 4: That's what they were saying. Pin pals. That's right. Kratz wasn't on for that yesterday. He doesn't get it. Kratz, are you pen pals with anybody? No.
Speaker 1: Pin pals?
Speaker 4: When's the last time you wrote a letter to somebody, handwritten letter?
Speaker 5: Uh my last in 2020 i wrote it to i tried to write it to clubbies when there was something so i know 2020 was the last time i wrote a letter besides my wife i write love letters to my wife probably not as much as she would like but i need to do more yeah.
Speaker 1: But that's not a pen pal that's a pen pal he's writing a letter.
Speaker 4: To a pal yeah you're not mailing it Pen pals used to be like you'd have a friend in China that you would send a letter to, right? And they would send you a letter back. That was a pen pal. Or prison.
Speaker 5: I think AJ wrote letters to people in prison.
Speaker 4: Nothing gets you more excited when someone used to– you used to get baseball cards from people in prison. And they would say, hey, I'm in prison collecting baseball cards. You're like, I'm signing this one. This one's going back.
Speaker 2: That was always what we'd always say.
Speaker 4: You'd get one from somebody in prison. You're like– Like, how long are you in there? How are you getting baseball cards? And, yes, I'm definitely sending this back. Yes.
Speaker 1: Stay out of trouble.
Speaker 4: Anyways, Kratz, the reason this came up is yesterday Todd did his thing from the Little League World Series. And he's like, oh, you get to meet people that you become pen pals with. And I was like, man, when's the last time anybody was a– now, you might Snapchat them. You might DM them. You know, you might send them a tweet back and forth. But ain't nobody writing letters back and forth. We might type them an email. But ain't nobody handwriting letters anymore.
Speaker 1: Digital pen pal or pin pal. I gave him two options now instead of pen pal.
Speaker 4: Pin pal.
Speaker 1: Pin pal. I like that. I think that's cool. Okay.
Speaker 4: Anyways, Little League World Series is awesome. It's on as we speak right now. Yes, Every big league clubhouse it's on. Every guy's watching it. Every guy's hoping, every guy's hoping that the team, some kid on the team says they're their favorite player.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 4: Right. Every kid is going, please. Every guy in the big leagues, like, please say you're my favorite. So please God, let someone say that.
Speaker 1: There was one kid just now. Cause we watch it during the daytime right now, AJ and I, when the show's going on, right. We're watching Japan and Mexico right now. And there was one that popped up and threw a basketball player out there instead of baseball said Curry's his favorite. So I can only imagine in some big league clubhouse, some, players sitting there like maybe it's me maybe it's me coming up and it's a basketball.
Speaker 6: Player right like there's no way like there's no like there's no way I watched the entire I watched I watched the intros just to see who their favorite players are I watched Australia not one Travis Bazana.
Speaker 5: Kid said anything and I'm like so I was thinking being in the Cleveland clubhouse being the Guardians clubhouse how much how much trash they're talking to him like ah mate nobody even knows.
Speaker 1: Who you are Not enough dirt in his spikes yet.
Speaker 4: True.
Speaker 1: Got to make more of a name for himself.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 1: First year in the bigs.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but you would think those would be the kids, the 12-year-olds that are, that's the guy.
Speaker 1: Graham Balfour pitched too long ago for them. Liam Hendricks. Did we have a Liam Hendricks?
Speaker 4: I mean, did we have a Peter Moylan?
Speaker 1: Peter Moylan? Who did we have? Did we get any Aussies or was it just straight like Ohtani and Judge?
Speaker 4: It was like Mookie Betts, two Ohtanis.
Speaker 5: And I think the one kid said, Ellie De La Cruz. And I was like, What is going on? Like, Australia, we need to get more foul territory in Australia. Hit like and subscribe, and you in Australia can.
Speaker 4: Also watch our show.
Speaker 5: I'm not sure what time it is right now there, but it might work out.
Speaker 4: Does Todd have his own pin? I think he does. I don't need a huge one. We just need like a smaller one.
Speaker 1: He's a big pin guy, Todd. He is.
Speaker 4: He's a pin pal.
Speaker 1: He's a pin pal. He's talked about it. I've been with him, so he does.
Speaker 4: Have a pin. It's a huge. It's like a plate. Because Todd's a collector.
Speaker 1: So he likes that stuff when he's out there. He's, you know, finding someone like, hey, I got the.
Speaker 4: Todd Father pin. You want my giant pin? And here, you give me your little giant, you give me your pin here. I'll give you mine for yours.
Speaker 1: Yep. There's a lot of wheeling and dealing with Todd Father. He likes a good deal. I'm serious. I've heard him talk about the pins for years. Yep. All right.
Speaker 7: Anyway.
Speaker 1: New York Life knows the importance of celebrating milestones, so they're giving you the opportunity to commemorate your first MLB game with a special lineup card certificate, but also you can enter to win a trip for two to a 2026 World Series game. Winners get access to the field before the game to watch batting practice with round trip, flight, and hotel accommodations included. Please see official rules for complete details. Those details sit at mlb.com slash myfirstgamesweeps for more information.