Speaker 1: Look out he saw me films to be buried with Judgment Day. Hello, and welcome to films to be buried with Judgment Day. My name is Brett Goldstein. I'm a comedian and actor, a writer, director, a couch strategist, and I love films. As Jane Austen once said, I declare, after all, there is no enjoyment like reading. But for some reason, the Princess Bride just hits different. Know what I mean? Yeah, fair play, Jane, you get it. Every week I invite a special guest over, I tell them they've died. Then I get them to discuss their life through the films that meant the most of them. But not today. Today is Judgment Day. The world has ended, and Rhece Jane stands before me. He has one chance to prove why I should send him to heaven or to hell. What will happen? Well find out in a minute. Head over to the Patreon at patroon dot com forward slash Brett Goldstein, where you get an extra twenty to twenty five minutes Reese, where we talk secrets, we talk all sorts of things. You also get the whole episode uncut, adfree and does a video check it out over at patreon dot com. Forward Slash Break Girls Tea Shrinking, Season two, Episode six is now available on Apple TV. I had the great pleasure of writing this episode. Have a look. All the actors are fucking amazing and you'll love it. So for his third appearance with us, the ever brilliant and amazing Reese James. He's a stand up you know him from Mock Week and all kinds of radio things. He had his own radio series. He's got a brand new special called Spilt Milk. You can find that online. You know him. He's been on this twice before. I love him. He's brilliant and it was so nice to hang out with him again and to find out if I'm going to send him to Heaven or hell. So that is it for now. I very much hope you enjoy episode three hundred and twenty five of Films to be Buried with Judgment Day. Hello, and welcome to Films to be Buried with Judgment Day. It is I Brett Goldstein, and I am joined for the third time by an actor, a writer, a broadcaster, a journalist, a podcaster, a comedian, a charity shop, a fictionnado, a mock the weaker. A does something with children, not in a bad way, in a humorous way. A poker player, a legend, a soft boy and a hard boy, and one of the great comedians in the UK working in this generation and any generation before or after. Please welcome back to the show. It's the wonderful, the brilliant, the incredible is threes times.
Speaker 2: Thank you, gret.
Speaker 3: I liked how you sort of started caveating your compliments, but then you realize you were caveating them, so you widened them again quite quickly, working in the UK and in his generation or any generation still the UK.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thanks, does stuff with kids, not in a bad way, in a good way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what's that about? What was that referring to?
Speaker 1: Didn't you do a show where you're scaring kids?
Speaker 3: I did a Yeah, it was a branded thing for a dairy Lee, which is a soft cheese for children. So basically I did a thing for Lego and Channel four with kids where it was like kids have like come up with their idea of the future and they're going to build it out of Lego and then tell me about it. I did one, and Ashling Be did one, and Judy Love did one, and they liked it because I'm rude to children, and famously, yeah, it's really exactly as you know, I'm rude to guess the joke of reeses, I'm rude to kids, and I it's quite disarming for children. They don't because everyone goes, oh, well done, how did you think of that? Whereas I go, I can do better, Matt, and then I do do better than that, and then they go o, yeah, okay, we'll watch this then and then they do something even more.
Speaker 2: I don't know why, I.
Speaker 3: Just that's what they made me feel like. They made me feel cool because you look like you look exactly, look like threatened exactly, and so the same company. But then like, actually, we've got this other one we want to do in the woods. Will you come and do that one?
Speaker 2: Now? That day was a lot more stressful.
Speaker 3: The Lego one took about two hours and we just sat in a room full of Lego.
Speaker 2: The Woods one, it was like whole day.
Speaker 3: The premises the kids get to make you do whatever they want, and you've got to go around the woods, and but the kids just want to run away and not hang out with me. So I was like, well, there we go. That's the film and they were like, no, no, no, you've got to be in it. We're paying you the big bucks. Boy, you've got to be in shot. At least you've got to charm these kids.
Speaker 2: Exactly, exactly.
Speaker 3: But also these kids were like, they were so much more Haywire than the kids in the Lego one. Right, And they were brother and sister, they were five and nine, and honestly, they were off camera they were saying some of the most defensive slurs you've ever heard, and you got a damn life, really, and it was, honestly, it was so hard. It was such a difficult day's work. Fuck, trying to get any content out of that day.
Speaker 1: Lee all this unoffended that you say is a cheese for kids when it's my favorite of all the cheeses.
Speaker 2: There's no way that you break gold. Do you eat dairy Lee?
Speaker 1: Are you do? You want to look at my Are you joking me? Dairy Lee strings probably the food eat the most.
Speaker 3: Really, I would have straight into the old the diet plan.
Speaker 1: Are you kidding me? Cheese is all right in it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Jesus, all right, No, that's not that good.
Speaker 3: Contractly obligated to say that delicious, healthy snack.
Speaker 1: I love mate you more.
Speaker 2: Cheese string guy myself.
Speaker 1: Listen also like a cheese string. But I think I like the way the dairy lee strips strip if I.
Speaker 3: May so, it is dairyly a global brand. Is this accessible in America?
Speaker 1: Sadly that I have in America? And I'd say that that's probably the only thing that's currently wrong with America, is what is so? Tell us this? Since we've last seen, You've got a new stand up special app It's called Spilt Bill.
Speaker 2: Correct, Correct, that's true.
Speaker 1: Now I've seen a very very enticing promo. Tell us your tell us what you're up to.
Speaker 2: Wow, it's like I'm doing a party himself. It's incredible. Wogan over there.
Speaker 1: I think you've got a funny story about.
Speaker 2: That's how they do it, isn't it.
Speaker 3: That's that funny story you mentioned with the researcher as god as if this show. As a researcher, I you saw this video on the Instagram.
Speaker 1: Basically tell us it is really funny and it is actually cool. But tell the people who may not have seen it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've released a comedy special. It's not on Netflix because they censored me. Okay, they wanted to censor me too hard. They said, you know, we love it. It's brilliant, this special that you've recorded yourself. But we want to cut some of brackets, all off the punchlines, all of the setups. We don't even want to list on the platform. We don't want to pay you because they don't believe in free speech.
Speaker 1: You're too right wing for a Netflix.
Speaker 2: I'm just too right on.
Speaker 3: I think they just said, no way, man, you're telling the truth that we don't like truth tellers.
Speaker 2: That to extent.
Speaker 1: They hate it.
Speaker 3: They bottled it, and so I said, all right, I'm taking it back, and they said, well, we didn't have it, so you're not taking it back.
Speaker 2: But I said, I'm going to put it out myself once.
Speaker 3: I've explored several other streaming platform avenues which yielded similar results, and so I'm putting out myself. I'm putting out on my website for sale rather than on YouTube for free. But also because my feeling is any dumb ass bozo can just call them call it a comedy special now and put out a YouTube video. But when we were younger, Brett, this is me and you the only way to get comedy special in our exactly of England was on DVD. Yes, that was what a comedy special was. And only the best comedians in the country got the opportunity to have a DVD.
Speaker 2: And so I made my own DVD.
Speaker 3: But I only made one, and I hid it in a charity shop in London, and so it literally is one of one. There will only ever be one made. It's quite expensive to make a DVD day that turns out the software is not available. It was an absolute nightmare, and the production company who made the special did it and then had sent me quite a big bill to have done it.
Speaker 2: I made the cover myself.
Speaker 3: I made it look like all those old like Jimmy Cargids or whatever, scratching my head holding a microphone, and I called it live humor. But it's the same show. And someone went it was in a charity shop in Well. I won't give it away. There's loads of clues if you want to look at the it has been got now though, Oh it's been found. Someone got it in ninety minutes. So my debut DVD sold out in just ninety minutes. That's success.
Speaker 1: You said that they got it or happened?
Speaker 2: Oh thank I was so relieved. When I was I wanted to.
Speaker 3: I pitched it to a few charity shops because I didn't want to just do it gorilla and then have them find it and put it in the bin thinking it was a bomb. So I had to email some charity shops and say for this, because also we had to film in there for me putting it in there, and lots few of them were replying like we just don't have the manpower to deal with the stampede and the bum that's going to come. And I had to be like, I really can't stress enough. I'm not who you think.
Speaker 2: I don't know what you're expecting for that.
Speaker 3: And then I was so I kept saying to this lovely guy Nick at the I mean that might give there's a bit of a spoiler. If you know someone called nicky roll the charity shop in London, then you've just found out where it is.
Speaker 2: But I said to this.
Speaker 3: Guy, look, I wouldn't expect anyone coming in too soon, but you know the maybe you never know. And when the person did go in after ninety minutes, what was a relief is they said there were two other people in the shop at the time looking for it. But Nick had hidden it somewhere else in the shop, and so that was pretty cool that that felt good because I was like, one, I was relieved someone even got it on. I thought, may maybe it would take a week, like someone might realize pop in there after work after a week or something. But yeah, for someone to go in and other people be looking for it, I was like, Ah, thank god, thank god. Now that that level of hype is not currently translating in the sales.
Speaker 1: Numbers, so I just want to verify you really need to get make a lot of sales to pay for this one that.
Speaker 3: I haven't paid off the DVD, yeah, let alone filming the special itself, which is way more expensive. The DVD software is still burdening my profit margins.
Speaker 1: The thing I was most impressive was the physical hard cover of the DVD. I don't know how you did that. Where did you get that?
Speaker 3: So you have to buy one hundred of them, loads of them for one DVD. So I just made it myself on Canva, the free online photoshop.
Speaker 1: My neighbor morin news is it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's all pretty pritty makeshift stuff. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then I just bought a bunch of empty DVD cases on Amazon.
Speaker 1: What you're doing with the leftover with the cases? Yeah, yeah, you can have one. Where did you film it? Especially Wilton's Music Hall? Nice?
Speaker 2: It's in East London.
Speaker 3: I think it's the oldest music hall working music hall in England and it's so beautiful. It's mostly used for weddings and like actual orchestral concerts. And then I sort of sullied it with one night of comedy.
Speaker 1: Did you do two shows? Record?
Speaker 2: Two shows?
Speaker 1: Yeah? How did it all go? Actually?
Speaker 3: No, it was good, it was well, it was really good. The first record it was that classic thing of that you your I would find that your American listeners weren't understand where they were too hyped in that first record and so they were like clapping setups and I was like, shut the fuck up, this is this is timing. And then in the second record they were a little bit too British.
Speaker 2: They were a little bit.
Speaker 3: More reserved, being like it's pretty good and we have kind of spliced the two records together and you couldn't tell. I'd say, they're like, wow, this crowd really liked that one, and they thought that one was okay.
Speaker 1: They really liked this really funny. If you mix up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's also a bit of a discrepancy in smoke levels because it turns out we didn't have remote control of the Hayes machine until showed two. So so your friend of mine, Stuart Law's had to keep running back and changing the smoke live in the moment without anyone seeing in the first record. And it also meant that lots of that footage is unusable because I'm through thick haze. But you know that, maybe that's sort of the main reason that Netflix and various others were like, what the fuck is this experimental comedy show? Yeah, fun comedy, but we like, yeah, we fucking we got it. We did it?
Speaker 2: Was Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean I've not done a special to this day yet, but I'm always I'm very aware of like, God, do you only have that one night? And like are you like, yeah, we got it, We've got everything I wanted to say, and we captured it.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah the show.
Speaker 3: The good thing about me is that I am pretty consistently robotic, so I'll be loose in the moment and stuff and that happens. But in terms of the material, yeah, you know, I think there's one or two bits in the show where We've literally put the audio of me saying it from one gig over the visuals of me saying it any other, and it matches perfectly because that's how I deliver bits, and that well, that is it, because it was a bang in the middle of the tour.
Speaker 2: So I would have been so consistent at that point.
Speaker 3: If I'm doing any of that material now outside of the tour, for example, I'd be much looser and saying completely differently. But when I was like getting ready for that recording and going to nail it, I would have been like John mulaney, you know what I mean, Just like you know that tweet about John Elle from years ago. Every sentence, every word starts with the capital letter when he's I would have been like that, So it'd have been so consistent. I think that it was easy to just go all right, your mouth matches up completely with both of them.
Speaker 1: Reece, James, you have died again, but because it's his judgment day No, sorry, right, I've remembered what the premise of this.
Speaker 2: Keep this, keep that you got to keep keep this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right. I like people to realize just how well and like the same same as you're very robotic. The way I do this podcast exactly. You could use we record this podcast twice. Yeah, and you cut together both and you have died again because it is judgment day. Do you see what I mean? Now?
Speaker 4: Now ye feel it? Now you stand on the edge of heaven and hell. You must tell me the best and worst thing that you did in this lifetime and answer some questions about film. In the end, I will decide whether you get to go to heaven or hell. Simple, really, So tell me what is the best and worst thing you did in this life?
Speaker 3: Reece James fantastic Emmy Award winning actor Brett Goldstein, Absolutely beautiful stuff there. I best thing quite recently. It was my niece's fourth birthday party and I got a T shirt. I got lots of gifts, but one of the things I got was a T shirt for myself that was like, you can get these T shirts made that are kind of like these old wrestling style T shirts where you send like five pictures of someone and they build them into these like this T shirt where they're like edges of these pictures are overlapping and it fills the whole T shirt and then in this cool text it says the person's name at the top, and so I got one made of my niece of all these cool pictures of her in cool outfits, like fancy dress stuff.
Speaker 2: So she's all over the T shirt like that.
Speaker 3: And then I just turned up to the party wearing it and hadn't told anyone. And when I got there, mainly it was for sort of like my brother and my sister in law and my parents. I thought they would think it was cool. And when I got there my niece, at first she was just just so overwhelmed with the birthday party and excited that she looked at the T shirt and she went, that's my name, and then she ran off. And then later on I went look, look, and then she went, I've got that dress. No, no, that's you. And she went I'm sure I've got that dress. And I was like, wait, do you think I'm wearing this dress?
Speaker 1: This is a picture.
Speaker 2: And anyway, she left. Later on she.
Speaker 3: Had understood what the T shirt was about, and it was like everyone loved it, and you know, strangers were coming up to me being like, where did you get this T shirt? This is the coolest thing ever. That's such a cool uncle gift. Then later in the day in amongst her other presence. When we were doing presents, she opened a T shirt that was her size, that was the same thing but of me, and then she put it on and she said.
Speaker 2: I want to wear this forever. Now that was high risk.
Speaker 3: Now, I thought, what would happen is that she would say, haha, I'm never wearing that, You're a loser, and that would be very funny for everyone. And I was quite happy to provide that moment. When she said I want to wear this forever, I was like, well, this is the best thing I've ever done. Now, Brett, the worst thing I've ever done is I made a four year old's birthday all about me.
Speaker 2: What No, just really took that. I really took it. Everyone was talking about me all day.
Speaker 1: Really. Part of the story that I like the most is that everyone was coming over to you going, wow, where did you get that shirt? As if you bought it from Zara?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: Also there were people coming up to be saying are you like in the family, And I was like, no, just a huge fan. I just kept saying no, I've just been seen her around. She's pretty good.
Speaker 1: I like this dress she wears, work her away up to it. That's very nice.
Speaker 3: I did tell her that everyone was wearing them. I said, it's not just me, they're all wearing them out there. That's a big risk because she couldn't freak her out. It could make her cry and scream. But actually she you know, four, I think you're just a bit like of course they are.
Speaker 2: I'm cool.
Speaker 1: You did make it all about you, but in a way that like, it's very sweet that she liked her in the T shirt of you. It did turn out great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank god for that.
Speaker 1: But if you hadn't made the four year old's birthday about you, I mean, listen, were there any other stars of Mark the Week at this party? Come on?
Speaker 3: Exactly exactly, just a bunch of people with jack real jobs, dig grass.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, I haven't decided whether to send you to Heaven nor Hell yet. Based on that, let me consider, well, we discussed some films that might make my decision easier. First thing, you're back on Earth people or whatever. What is the film?
Speaker 3: Well, I'd love to go back and listen and just figure out the exact moment your heart went out of this podcast, not this record, I mean the whole thing, at the moment you just went, oh, yeah, I keep ticking over with that.
Speaker 1: How dare you? I am invested as I have always been because I love it. What is the film that you saw when you were too young to see it that affected you the most?
Speaker 2: Eight legged Freaks? Oh really remember that?
Speaker 1: Yeah? With David Arquette.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know. I mostly focused on the spiders, but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was distracted by the giant.
Speaker 3: I think I was probably about ten, and that's quite old to be affected by that film, but I think it was more just like and also if I watched the trailer again today and is it a comedy? Was it presented as a comedy when it came out? Just like an out and out? This is so dumb trying.
Speaker 1: Like hey, leg it freaks, eight legged freaks like like snakes late.
Speaker 2: It's filmed like a skate video.
Speaker 3: Like the style, it's like, it's like it's been made by bad Maijera.
Speaker 2: It's so weird.
Speaker 3: And it's but when I saw it, because it was like it was it wasn't like three D or anything, but it was kind of using massive giant six with spiders like coming out the screen was like, so it wasn't actually three D. It was it was a two D attempt at three D fear factor, and I would have seen it in the cinema and just been then just like every time I close my eyes for a week, that's all I would have seen. It's just huge six foot spiders.
Speaker 1: Are you still scared of giant spiders?
Speaker 3: Of giant spiders? Yeah, i'd say that. You know how some people like would say that I've got a fear of drowning, but yeah, that's not a fear. Yeah, everyone has, that's default. Everyone has that. That doesn't count of course. You Oh you don't like the idea of drowning, Yeah, okay, show me someone who loves it. So yeah, big spot, big huge spiders. Yeah, I don't think people like that. What about a spider as big as my hands?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it'll freak me out.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't I wouldn't be petrified, but I wouldn't be happy about it.
Speaker 1: What about spider this big?
Speaker 3: Actually, literally the one what you just described. The other day, there was one at our house and then it was pointed out by my girlfriend and then I just picked it up by one leg and just walked to the door and just like put it outside and I turned around and she was looking at me in a way she said she had never looked at me before in eleven years, like wow, finally ready to marry you. She was like, I'm finally ready to have sex. That was you fine, warned me down, and you're out of the friend zone. She honestly looked at me like, yeah, that this is not the man. I know, how have you done this? And I was like, I guess, I guess it turns out I disassociated about four years ago, and so now I'm scared of nothing.
Speaker 1: You're like, I could drown. I could actually drown.
Speaker 3: You know. Not long ago. I was on a plane, I think I think twenty twenty three. I was on a plane. There was some really bad and I was on my own. Yeah, it's a really bad turbulence and you know, and there's some really bad turbleance just the bit where it dips in your stomach thoughs and you think was probably it. I felt so euphoric, man, I really gave over to the powerlessness of it. Yeah, And I was like, yeah, all right, yeah, fine, I'm ready. I didn't even think I'm going to phone anyone, didn't text anyone. I just thought, yeah, just let's just go yes, I've had that experience. It was it was such a good feeling to have no control whatsoever to such an extent that you're like, oh, thank God for that, and God, I've got no control over any of this, because if I did, I'd be thinking.
Speaker 2: God, I'm so stressed. I've got to do something about it.
Speaker 3: And then I realized, oh, that's the whole problem with me, is the way I'm given control to really use it. Yeah. Yeah, that's I'm not a pilot. That's the root of all my problems all these years.
Speaker 1: If you could play one character in a film, which one would it be?
Speaker 3: The little boy in love? Actually who plays the drums? Yeah that feels right.
Speaker 1: Isn't he a grieving, grieving little boy?
Speaker 2: His mum's dead? Yeah, his mom is dead.
Speaker 1: That's your dream?
Speaker 3: Well, how much of that playing a part? And you said if I could play a part?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well okay, yeah, I mean, I guess you're it's like what you want to show people you're range you could do, like I just know, I think more.
Speaker 3: I interpreted this is like if I could have played a part. So if I when I was the age of the boy in that film, if I could have now In's Dead. Yeah, I would have liked to have been that role in that film at that age in the year it came out, and have had that as something I did forever. And now I'm not saying I want to be that part because he kisses a child. No, like I said I want to be You've already made me sound weird in the woods. What I'm saying is, when I was the age that it was appropriate to play that part.
Speaker 2: I would like to have done that.
Speaker 1: Thank you. What is the worst date or time you've ever had a film?
Speaker 3: I kind of got one and a half to the half is I went to see a preview of or it was part of Sun Dance in London, I think of Mike Bbigli's film. I think it was with me, and afterwards Jimmy Carr was doing a Q and A with him and I went on maybe a third date to that, and my brother and his partner who they've been together for ages, was seeing something just after. They were in this bar nearby and were saying like, oh, you're going on this date, Well, like, if you want to after the film, we've got some time.
Speaker 2: If you want to come and introduce her and have a drink.
Speaker 3: With us, and then we watched this film, and we watched the Q and A, and the Q and A started with Jimmy Carr saying, well, there we have it. Maybe the worst date movie in history. And it is quite bleak because it's kind of lots of it's about how it's not right, you know, it's never going to be right, but also just like it's about the break of our relationship effectively quite a serious relationship. And then there was a bit where we were leaving that cinema and it was like I hadn't mentioned that my brother was maybe in this bar, but I could easily. She was like, what should we do now? She was like where should we go now? Should go for a drink? And I very like I just saw myself walking past this bar, going yeah, maybe, and like getting to the tube and then going somewhere else in London, then texting my brother being like, oh sorry, we're a bit late or whatever. So we've gone somewhere else and we went for dinner and then didn't speak really after that. So I said, I'm I'm not into this anymore. And I think it was that that I think the film ruined it. The other time is me and my current partner. I went to see Vice and it was just a horrible cinema experience, just based on the people around us. The guy in front of us kept getting a big handful of popcorn, putting his arm as high as he could above his head, opening his mouth underneath it, and one by one throughout the film so obnoxiously. His girlfriend next to him spent the whole film on her phone on full brightness. And then after i'day, after an hour and twenty minutes of the film, which is a film about Dick Cheney in which Dick is used as a name maybe one hundred and fifty thousand times, she looked up for the first time and someone went, Dick, come here, and she turned around and went Dick, and I was.
Speaker 2: Like fulling my hair out.
Speaker 3: Next to us was a guy explaining, an American guy explaining everything like it wasn't explained in the film to an English person next to him being like, so he's the vice president what that means is And it was just like yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I know what a vice, I know what the word vice means.
Speaker 2: It was just then absolutely hideous experience that.
Speaker 3: But what's good is that you know, it didn't make me want to break up with my girlfriend, and she would have been even I'm an angry guy. And what I love about her is that she would have just been going fucking crazy when we left, that she would have been ranting so much. The words she'd have been using about them, she'd have been saying those troggler dietes, these knuckle draggers everywhere, I'm never going to the cinema on the set, and I'd have been like, yes, you and me are kindred spirits.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it will be all right with just stick just for you, just for you. That's nice, a bit horrible. If you could live in the world of one film, which would it be? Which film would it be? What world? In a film?
Speaker 3: I think the answer, I think the surface answer is Bruce all Mighty. But I don't know what I'd do, I thought, because then you're going to say, what would you do if you were Bruce all Mighty? And I don't have any kind of good answer other than what he does in the first ten minutes. He'd Yeah, he just like makes skirts go up, and he gets people to hand him free stuff, and he just does like the most basic teenage idea of playing God. So maybe the answer is my neighbor Totro instead. Maybe that's the world I want to be in. Wow, any studio ghibli thing I think would be a lovely world to be in. Am I enabled story. I like a big guy, you know what I mean? I like a big guy. Like a hug from a really big guy. That feels fantastic to me, and it really makes when I think about it. And I've got a couple of friends that I grew up with who were like rugby guys, who are big, tough, hench guys. When they would hug me, I would feel fantastic, and then I would really understand my lack of appeal to anyone as someone who cannot contribute that. So when I watched the tour, I'm like, ye, I want to hug that guy. I want to hug him so bad and be enveloped by this big, soft, huge But he doesn't do anything in the film. He just chills out the whole time. And then when shit hits the fan because of him, he just goes, Oh, I don't worry. I got this mate who's a bus who's a cat. And then the cat comes along and sorts everything out, And obviously I want to be in the world because I want to go on the cat bus.
Speaker 1: You want to go on the cat bus and be hugged by a big fella?
Speaker 2: Be hugged by a big guy? Yeah? Yeah, you like a big guy, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: The big guy. Love hugging a big guy.
Speaker 2: Who's the Who's the biggest guy you've ever hugged with?
Speaker 1: Oh, I'll tell you what. The main director producer of season two Shrinking is called Randall, and he is fucking huge. He's about eight foot two and he's so strong and you hug him and every home you hug him. It's a big hugger and he breaks three of your ribs every time you hug him. Yeah, but you leave a hug with him. I always leave a hug with him. But it's a feeling, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: It's so warm, it's so nice and painful, but it's so good. I love you.
Speaker 1: What is your favorite children's film? Seems to be an expect this area. Do you mean just film? You're saying what's this word? You're saying children's film? There's loads I mean. I want to say School of Rock felt like it was pandering to you. And then I think too many people say it, there's obviously so many I'm going to go with toy story O twittery one. And the reason is that was the age.
Speaker 3: So I was like going crazy over getting buzz light Year for Christmas the year that he was sold out, because that was the year the film came out. It was like that was a huge deal at a very formative age. Also, I had a woody toy that I was obsessed with that now EVI, my niece, played with every day and loves. It's like the longevity of this is incredible. And then I thought about it and I was like, the premise, the premise is the perfect kids film premise. Your toys are alive. It's something that's probably in the imagination of every kid anyway. That's how you play. You imagine your toys are alive. And then a film just went what if they were every time you leave the room, they're alive. And then the impact it has on you when you go home after watching it, and how you try and sneak back into the room and see them hanging out with each other.
Speaker 2: Ah, what a what a beautiful film.
Speaker 1: The fact that ev plays with withy is like the end of Toy Story Free and I want to cry. Now I need a hug from a very big man.
Speaker 3: Exactly, you need a big guy. You got any big guys nearby?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Tatoro. Yeah, it's pretty funny.
Speaker 3: Great. Yeah, that's like again, it's like something that kids are already doing when it taps into something like that's what a kid's imagination is already doing. Like, well, there was an imaginary friend film recently, wasn't there that was quite big if if ye, And that's again, it's just like hitting on that premise of just like that's already happening, so perfect.
Speaker 1: What is the film that you didn't think you would like that you ended up loving.
Speaker 3: I've got to The first one is twenty one Jump Street. Yes, great, So I think it's fantastic. I think it's absolutely fantastic. It's one of the great mainstream comedy films. And I think I just had a bit of a bee in my bonnet about mainstream comedy films being crap for some pretentious reason that when I then came to be trying to write a mainstream comedy film, I was like, well, I've got to go and watch all of them, and then I was like, Oh, these are all fucking amazing. They're really funny, and they really hit everything they need to hit, and everyone's brilliant in them, and I just it just works so well.
Speaker 2: The humor is so well judged. Twenty two Jump Streaks also great.
Speaker 3: I think it's because seems to come out in quick succession that I thought, yeah, okay, yeah, I've had enough of Jump Streets for a bit. But I hadn't even seen it at the time. And it is really funny and it's fantastic, and their chemistry is amazing. Channing Tatum's really funny in it, and we didn't necessarily know that yet.
Speaker 1: He's tremendous.
Speaker 2: It's just great.
Speaker 3: And I just must have been in a sort of like probably in a bit of a RTI era, a bit of a Famoy era, where you just like misinterpret what Studie is actually getting at and think he's saying on the surface, everything ship, so therefore you must agree that everything's ship or whatever. And then you get a bit better at comedy and you go, oh, no, it's not what he's getting at all. That's not what this means. There's a whole layer of something going on here. He's getting at I wish I had more money. But that is what everyone's getting at, Brett. That's what every joke means, and that's for the listeners. Every joke means, God, I wish I have more money. That's the subtext of everything and every bit of art.
Speaker 2: Ever, Okay, wish I have more money?
Speaker 1: Is that what toy story is? Yep?
Speaker 3: Okay, no further questions. I don't stand by this point at all. I don't think that's saying but I don't know. The other one I was going to say is BlackBerry.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: I actually thought I thought i'd like because I love Glen Howiton. I knew it would be good, and I like the team behind it. I just am so sick of business origin story films, and I think it's such a horrible genre to exist.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: The Social Network is one of my favorite films of all time. But things like The Social Network and even The Founder, which I like less, and even Steve Jobs, which are like even less, is like they make sense existing to me and telling these business origin stories because they have had cultural.
Speaker 2: Impact on the world.
Speaker 3: They have fundamentally, those companies changed the world forever. We now live different lives to what we would have done if these companies didn't exist. I don't need to know about beanie babies. Beanie babies have not impacted anything. They're a trend in the nineties and no one gives a fuck about anymore. I don't need to Tetris has not changed how elections work. It's not a criticism of the films. It's of the premise of the concept of making these films. And so I thought, ah, here we go BlackBerry, like, that's not that significant, and then you watch it and you go, oh, it's a parody of those films, and it's played purely for laughs, a bit like Seinfeld's pop tart film. It's just a parody of those things, played purely for gags. I think BlackBerry does it in a way that suits the style of comedy I like a bit more unfrosted. I think is good, and I think was unfairly reviewed based on people's opinions of Seinfeld, but I think it was is really good. But BlackBerry does it in such a classy, cool way. And Glen Howilton's just at a ten from the get go. Yeah, he's like he's like Dennis Reynolds when Dennis is full of rage the whole way through.
Speaker 1: He's like your girlfriend at the cinema.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: And as you know that, what is the single most erotic moment in a film? James?
Speaker 2: I struggle. I struggled with this.
Speaker 1: Why is that? To know?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: I even googled like erotic moments in films and it said are you sure you want safe?
Speaker 2: Search off?
Speaker 3: And I was googling it, and all these films that came up, as I've never seen any of these, so I must have just sort of passed by all these pos actually erotic things. I think the things I find erotic are unresolved sexual tension. So the moment it's resolved, I stopped finding it that interesting or erotic in on camera. Obviously in life it's much more erotic once it's when you start resolving it. So did you think that, actually, I like the unresolved I've made.
Speaker 2: I've made my piece of unresolved actually.
Speaker 1: So like in the mood for Love, that would be a type of vibes.
Speaker 2: If I'd seen that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, Yeah, that is unresolved to me because I've never seen it. But things like so this is so I'll give you two complete opposites. This isn't necessarily unresolved. In the film road Trip, there's a bit where a really geeky guy is just lying in bed with this a slightly larger lady. Yeah, and then she just sort of coming on to him. They're both in their underwear, and I think you don't even really see. Then it just cuts and he's walking out, and then he's like whistling and everyone's cheering him, and that's sort of it, and it's just like, yeah, okay, I would have seen that when I was probably twelve, thought, oh my god, she wants to have sex with him, and she's in full control of this, and that is unlike any other scene I've ever seen in any other film because I'm twelve. And the other one complete opposite end of the spectrum, the way that they imply that they've had sex in before sunrise by simply they go into the park, and when they leave the park, the T shirt she had on under her dress is no longer there, and it's never mentioned, even though she spent the whole film saying I don't just want to be another story of some American guys hookups on his travels, and it's never explicitly said until the next film that they did have sex, and she's just not wearing that T shirt anymore after they go to the park, and I was like, absolutely love that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a fucking great that's fantastic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that shows the duality of man. You know, I've got one's pretty basic, then one's really subtle.
Speaker 1: What a classy guy? Which film? Which film you don't care about as a whole, has a single sequence within it that you love?
Speaker 3: Five hundred days of summer expectation versus reality.
Speaker 1: Pow pow power ten points.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, it's the It's such a good bit of filmmaking.
Speaker 1: It's so depressing and brilliant.
Speaker 3: That secret and the rest of the film, you know, everyone knows by now has its problems. I think I would have I would have watched it when I was sixteen and thought it was mind blowing it, But having watched it since I you know, it's a bit. You know, it's the classic manic pixie dream girl type criticisms, isn't it of that film?
Speaker 2: Very written by a man? Type stuff?
Speaker 3: But that scene feels really, it feels really empathetic, and it feels like it really understands and how its unrequited feelings are out of how it goes so often, and it's just so true to so many experiences that I and everyone else have had. Yeah, and it starts so subtly, so like it starts with him, So if you don't know it, listeners, they just like split screen him arriving at this party and his expectation of how it will go. It's a party with Zodaschanel, who he's no longer with but is still in love with, and it's her party, and it's how the party will go in his mind versus how it goes in reality. And it starts so subtly that when he arrives, it's just little bits of like the way she answers the door, there's slightly less enthusiasm in the hello than he expected, and it just grows into and stuff like that. He hands her a gift that's really thoughtful gift and an expectation. She's like, oh my god, that's so sweet, and in reality goes, no, you shouldn't have, buddy, kind of thing, and it grows and grows to a point where you know he's imagining them stood kind of on this balcony, you're looking over at the city like really flirting and in reality stood there on his own drinking a bit. And then he turns around the looks and she's showing her engagement ring to someone else, and ah, ah god, how many times have we been there? Well know about you, but hundreds? So sorry, what a great scene, A great scene.
Speaker 1: You're right, So I really remember that very I've only seen that film once, and I remember that so strongly. It's such a it's a very sad sequence, very well done.
Speaker 3: What is the film that stayed with you the longest after seeing it? Rece About Time. I love About Time, me too. Really, I didn't know until today that it was quite critically pard. I've watched it probably four or five times, and I'd never looked up the reaction, and I think that says something to me about not looking up reactions to things.
Speaker 2: But my family love it as well. All my family talk about it.
Speaker 3: I think I watched it because my dad watched it not knowing what it was about, very soon after his dad died and he lost his mind, and then so I was like, oh, I'll watch it then, and then I lost my mind, and then I watched it again recently lost on mine, crying again, and then today because it's got quite complicated time traveling it just so I was one hundred percent familiar with the premise, I reread the plot and I cried again.
Speaker 1: Just reading it.
Speaker 3: It's just so it has a big it has like a twist in it that's like you actually don't see coming.
Speaker 2: It has such a lovely resolution.
Speaker 3: Today, I mean like, I get criticized by friends of mine who aren't into films and stuff for my picking a part of plot holes and things, and this one, according to the critical response listed on Wikipedia, has lots of plot holes that I have never once acknowledged or noticed. And I am like films in which people love and never slag of plottholes. I will go like, yeah, but this does makes sense because of this, and people go leave me alone. I'm trying to have a laugh, and on this one, I'm like, right, okay, So I clearly just have huge confirmation bias. I like it, so I don't care, but it's just a I mean, if you haven't seen it, it's very rich a Curtis and it's very sincere. But it's just I can't really hack family like emotional family and like sort of pride based things. I think I've said this on a previous episode of This. Any more time someone's proud of someone, I can't hack it. Like someone realizes your dad a big guy. No, such a shame, I'd love him to be a big guy.
Speaker 1: Is he proud of you?
Speaker 2: Oh A big time? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not.
Speaker 3: It's not because of don't try and therapies me, now, mate, It's not because I've lack any of.
Speaker 1: Her I'm saying, I hate I'm glad that that's the answer. I'm glad that.
Speaker 2: It's just like in Lady Bird.
Speaker 3: It's like whenever someone realizes in a film that their parents are just doing it for the first time too, and you know they will once me and all that sort of stuff. I don't know why they does something to me that, and I don't know why, Like at the end of Lady Bird always makes me cry when it cuts between her driving and her mum driving and basically being like we're all just the same.
Speaker 2: Oh God, I can't act that stuff.
Speaker 3: And so About Time sticks with me, and I could watch it again and again and again.
Speaker 2: I'm sure I'll watch it very soon.
Speaker 1: About Time made me cry. There's three things that Richard Kurtis has done and really destroyed me. One is about time. The other is the end of have you ever seen the Doctor Who episode that he wrote where it's say no, it's the idea is and it's the same id I think he used in Yesterday. It's about Vincent van Go whatever you say, how have you pronounce the name? They go back in time and they have like an adventure with him and blah blah blah. But at the end of it, what they do and they say, we shouldn't do this, but we should because he never knew what effect his paintings had. You know, when he died, no one cared about his art. So they take Vincent to the present and they take him to a museum, so he gets to see in a museum all these people experiencing his art and being moved by it. And it's so moving seeing him see like what it worked? You know, it had an effect. And then they take him back in time, thinking that that might have sort of fixed it, and he still kills himself. It's so fucking wow. It's fucking I love that. I love that.
Speaker 2: It's really something that doesn't sound very Richard Curtious to me.
Speaker 1: Is the gift who still gets the gift of seeing what his he gets.
Speaker 2: So the point is.
Speaker 1: That what he was mentally not fully you know, he's still.
Speaker 2: It doesn't just it wasn't.
Speaker 3: He didn't kill himself because no one liked his his flowers. He killed himself because he had depression. Yes, that's the message. Serious mental health can't be fixed with a retweet.
Speaker 1: That's yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, was hard of hearing. I thought you were going to say that.
Speaker 3: They brought him to present day, showed him a gallery where everyone loved his artwork, and then some darlks came in and killed him. Anyway, I thought he's going to be like, oh no, it's doctor who. We got to exterminate this guy I've never close.
Speaker 1: And then in Yesterday he has this scene. Have you seen Yesterday in the film where beats don't exist? Yeah? Yeah, yeah, you have this scene where he visits John Lennon, who didn't die because he wasn't in the Beatles. It's very moving. I find that very very moving. God, damn it, that's moving stuff.
Speaker 2: He knows what I want.
Speaker 3: Died a gig in a in a forest. It's an amazing gig. This family just built this like theater amphitheater in their garden effectively, and I went and did this gig and I went on stage and it was like a pretty good gig, but I was getting sort of like put off by the audience lightly. When I came off stage, Simon Amstell was headlining it and he said, how was it? I said, yes, good, but I think Richard Curtis is that front row center and he went, oh, yeah, I meant to tell you Richard Curtis is coming back. And I was like what, and he was like, oh, I'm friends with them, so they're here to watch me basically, and I was like right. And then me and Lou Sanders were sort of stranded trying to get to the train station after it was waiting for this taxi that clearly was ever going to come. And then a car generously stopped and pulled up to say, we'll give you a lift to the station, and it was Richard Curtis. Because he is addicted to charity, he will he will not pass up an opportunity to help someone in need. And there was a child in heed right there, and so did he tell you were brilliant they drove Yeah, well yeah, I mean he was like, okay, yeah, very well done, young man. I mean it was just sort of like, yeah, good, there was a good night of comedy. I mean it was very noncommittal stuff. But you know, I hadn't had absolute blind it was fine, so I wouldn't expect I wouldn't expect it to be as cup of tea. Also, I think I was ranting about like getting on the property ladder and stuff, and he was probably looking at me, like, what is he talking about?
Speaker 1: What is the film that made you feel better about the world?
Speaker 2: Hear me out, jackass.
Speaker 3: What is more pure than just trying to impress your mates and trying to one up your mates for a laugh? Nothing else, There is nothing else to it. Let's be as silly and as crazy as possible so that my friends laugh, and then being like okay, fine, well I'll do this then, and also going nuts and doing something equally crazy. It's just mates having a laugh basically at their own expense. That makes me feel like the world is actually good. Most good films make me think the world is bad because most good films highlight something kind of intrinsically sad or bad about the world, even if they have.
Speaker 2: A nice resolution.
Speaker 3: I don't leave being particularly uplifted because something bad has to have got me there, Jackass. The bad stuff is put a toy car up. My bum had to go to the hospital. But everyone found it really funny, and it doesn't make me go the world is full of cars up, But it makes me just go, yes it is. There's some crazy people out there and they exactly exactly people like the loads of you know, friendship. That makes me think about friendship more than other films, Jackass, more than films about friendship.
Speaker 1: You can have that.
Speaker 2: It impresses me. Yeah, Okay, who which who?
Speaker 1: Which is your favorite couple in a film? Who are your favorite cup? Which is it? Which? Who are?
Speaker 3: There's such a long list here to draw from. I like when it doesn't quite work out. Quite a difficult thing to explain to your partners, But I love it.
Speaker 2: In films it was really really I like when it's really.
Speaker 1: When Shenest just gets the message and leaves.
Speaker 2: Just leaves.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly the reason I picked up that spider that represents you. That's why I threw it out the door. So like La la land, I just you know, a lot of some people don't like La La Land. There's certainly bits of it I really don't like, but there's bits of it that I just you know, the fact they're both they can't marry together, their careers and their relationship is like it's just so honest and feels so real that it's like, wow, no, I do really want to do this and I don't know. There's something about that Annie Hall and Alvi singer. It not working properly is perfect, and then the self examination that comes with that, and that relationship feels really sort of true and frustrating to watch in a really good way. Owen Wilson and the French Girl from the Past in Midnight in Paris is like I love it so I mean, I love Midnight in Paris so much. I know you're not supposed to say, well, the Allen films are good anymore, but I just I love you know, like I said, I disassociated ages ago, I'll separate it.
Speaker 2: I just relationship's amazing, how flawed that is.
Speaker 3: I mean, Jesse and Selene is just like, you know what, up until I love that relationship.
Speaker 2: I love the whole thing.
Speaker 3: I absolutely love the whole thing where I love it the most up until is in the second film when it's obvious that he did turn up to their meeting place a year later and she didn't. The moment you sort of realize that is probably what happened is when I love the most because that feels so real to me. Also, then walking around chatting. It doesn't feel real to me that you'd meet someone on train, get off the train and then do that. But once they're walking around chatting and they're just walking around chatinghit and really getting to know each other, Like that is what some people think, that's unrealistic. I'm like, that is whatever. That's a great, wonderful moment with my girlfriend has been. Yeah, that is like just those times you go on holiday and you just think, oh what should we do? Oho care, let's just why don't we just walk around and just chat all day? And even if it's like an argument or it becomes like a debate about something, you know, it's not an argument to me if it's not actually about who you are or like what you've done. You know, if it's just about like, no, I think this about the world and I think this, then it's just like, no, that's just a conversation, but I just speak with such so passionately that sometimes my tone is it's like it becomes an argument. But things like that Past Lives another one. Every couple in Past Lives I love. I love the fact that you know the actual couple. The film's about where he's come to America to see her, and then it's like so painful, but also it's so exciting to do the sort of what might have been of it all. There's something so intrinsically exciting about exploring that even when you know you're not going to act on it. You know, I've always said, I think if you're from a small town, Christmas Eve up to a certain age is basically that when you come back from like UNI, and then you're all there at Christmas Eve and you're now a bit cooler, and then you sort of you're like, oh, why were we never a thing or whatever? And you're sort of thinking, well, because I wasn't fit then, I wasn't fit enough. What's happened is you're imagining me now, confident from university, in all those stories from when I was young and shy and had braces, and now you're going and how come that didn't and be like, oh, because you didn't respond to any of my poems. That's how That's the truth of it. But that's what Christmas he was all about. It's this sort of romantically not sexually, just romantically charged evening of like rewriting history effectively. But I also love in past lives, the actual relationships she's in with her actual partner, where he is so understanding of that, because in most films that would be a husband who's being like, ah, why I order.
Speaker 2: Who's this guy?
Speaker 3: And he'd be threatened and he isn't and it's just, oh, it just blew me apart that film. But the answer is none of those things. I'm going with pure recency bias, and I'm going to say, Andrew Garfield and Florence Pewing, we live in time.
Speaker 1: Really, I have not seen this yet.
Speaker 3: It's such and it's clearly it's both recently bias for me seeing it very recently, but also for it being about a couple in them sort of mid thirties and what it's like when you meet someone in your mid how different it is when it starts in your mid thirties kind of, and just the approach is so different and so much more honest, and the conversations are so different, and I've not necessarily had that experience, but I just sort of know, you know, I've had There's certain conversations in there that I've had, and I just found it such an honest depiction and it's an amazing film that I highly recommend. And I won't talk about it any further so I won't spoil it. But it's just so real. They're both so good in it, they're both refit. That's what you want, is they've got to be they both got to be fit.
Speaker 1: Really want. Yeah, yeah, it.
Speaker 3: Was the fittest one. Margot Robbie and Leonardo DiCaprio THI lancer.
Speaker 1: That's your perfect is what film inspired you to do something? James?
Speaker 3: Well, can you hear the banging by the way that's happening here? Okay, because to me there's there's fireworks going off. I'd say, I'd say within one meter of the share done currently in and this microphone must be except remember, yeah, but it's not. It's well beyond that. It feels like it's happening in my brain.
Speaker 2: That's how close it is.
Speaker 3: Okay, So the film inspired me to do something. I would have said Jackass inspired me to go and film me and my mates jumping off stuff, but James Akasa said that, but you know it did the same thing for me as well. We went on film loads of us doing all of that stuff, but it was just like rubbish, like jumping into a bush.
Speaker 2: It's like there's no jeopardy.
Speaker 3: So what I will say is Coach Carter, Yes, inspired from me quite.
Speaker 2: A lot of very bad graphic design.
Speaker 1: How come.
Speaker 2: I'm weird?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 3: I was such a weird online and on the computer kid, and I sort of was like teaching myself little bits of like photoshop and stuff and like weird little effects. That very basic shit that you go is rubbish And if I carried on, I would now be good. But I didn't, and I would just do stuff like make these pictures for no reason, just to save myself that were just like basically cool typography that would say stuff like I remember one that was the phrase like champions, because Coach Carter is like, doesn't matter that you lost, you played like champions. And I was inspired by this. I mean, I did graphic design just said like champions, and there's a chance I posted it on my Space or something.
Speaker 1: But I can't believe that you didn't pull these women at school and he then saw you at Christmas Eve. You, I mean when they were like, why didn't why did nothing ever happen with that? Like champions, Well I tried. I tried like a champion to get you to go out with me. But it's not really about the winning.
Speaker 3: It's about getting off the streets and out of the ghetto and having some purpose in life.
Speaker 2: Actually, and clearly, my purpose.
Speaker 3: Now is to prove you wrong by becoming a stand up comedian.
Speaker 1: Mary Christmas, Yeah, good night. Well Reece James, I haven't listened to all your answers to all my questions, and I've decided this. You're going to heaven. Congratulations you. But before you leave, it was touch and go before you leave. Oh no, shit, sorry, no.
Speaker 2: You said it. Now, you've said it now, well basis.
Speaker 1: Fuck wait, Well, I could change my mind. I'm in control of this. Before I make my final decision, can you offer me one film that is meaningful in the hope that I will spare you. I hope I haven't tipped my hand in which way I might be leaving my decision.
Speaker 3: The holdovers fucking love it. I love it. I loved it I'm now. As soon as I saw it last year, it was like, right, I'm watching this every year. Every Christmas, I'm watching this. It will be one of those things I think I will. I will use every Christmas holiday to get more and more people into it. Yeah, I don't think make that many people in the UK know about it. I will introduce my family to it this year, I imagine. I just love I loved it so much, it's so good.
Speaker 1: Well I've changed my mind up well and James, what an absolute delight we've been. Would you like to tell anyone to watch your special et cetera? Now?
Speaker 3: Yeah, watch my special etcetera now please? Ree James dot co dot uk is where you can find it. If you want to see some clips beforehand, just go on my YouTube. There's a few clips on my Instagram. Reece James e a r h ys UK spelling.
Speaker 1: I would highly recommend Reese's stand up. What's a wonderful sensitive poem boy? Thank you very much for doing this again. It has been lovely to see you. What an honor and I hope I'll see you very soon.
Speaker 2: Bye, good day.
Speaker 1: So that was episode three hundred and twenty five. Head over to the Patreon at patreon dot com forward slash back dancing to the extra twenty minutes of chat, sequens and video with Reeese, James Gos Apple Podcasts give us a five style writing but right about the film that is the most to you and why it's a lovely thing to read my name and more and really loves it always makes her cry. Thank you so much to Reese for giving me his time. Remember to watch his special Spilt Milk. You can find it online, go see his show live if you can. Thanks to Grubious Pip and destruct some pieces of network. Thanks a buddy Peace for producing it, for the graphics at least lading for the photography. Come and join me next week for a smasher of an episode. But that is it for now. In the meantime, have a lovely week, and please, now even more than ever, be excellent to each other.