Speaker 1: Hey, well, Mama's it's me David Bori from earlier. I'm here to tell you that I have a comedy special that I produced by myself that is out via Mypatreon, patreon dot com backslash David Bori. Go on there, sign up for the Patreon for free, buy the special for twelve dollars. It is quite frankly the best special of the year, next to Limeston's and I stand on that.
Speaker 2: WHOA, that's a great stance to have, and thank you for mentioning. I too have a special August twentieth, it'll be available on Netflix. It's called Bad Poetry, and it's the best I could do. It's I don't know where it ranks in the scale of other specials, but it certainly is the best I could come up with and commit to. So I'd appreciate your viewership and watch David watch mine, and write us immediately afterwards and tell us how funny we are. And if you didn't feel that way, maybe shut the fuck up about it.
Speaker 3: Motherfucking mini episode, mini episode, motherfucking mini episode.
Speaker 4: Maybe will you be my corona in line and I'll be your main squeeze there it is the Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to another phenomenal episode of My Mama Told Me.
Speaker 1: The podcast was trying to steep it in the bucket of black.
Speaker 3: And s.
Speaker 2: And we finally worked to prove the theories that you use the listener have at home.
Speaker 4: It's a mother fucking mini episode. You didn't like that one, you're not you're not a fan fucking Schwazy dag. Come on, that's kind damn it, that suck. That's awesome. Come on, that's a That song was the worst? You didn't like that song?
Speaker 1: You like?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's more ironic.
Speaker 1: That Yeah, it was like the line of the choke song. Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, it's not safe on my phone exactly, exactly, for sure, for sure. Yep, it's not on air.
Speaker 1: Nope, it's not a ring.
Speaker 2: That's not my wedding song at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you brought back say you brought back Ringtones for the ring back zones for the point of Shwez.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm big on Ringtones right now, and Shwayze's my my best one.
Speaker 1: Was there another song? Was there another Shwayzy song?
Speaker 2: I can't imagine there was another Schweaze song, But maybe I'm Triman. Maybe Schwazy had hits.
Speaker 1: I don't really even know why I remember that his name was Shwayzy.
Speaker 2: I don't know why either I didn't remember.
Speaker 1: Maybe I'm the secret fan.
Speaker 2: Yeah maybe this whole time.
Speaker 1: WHOA wouldn't that be crazy? Yo? What if like this podcast and like years later from now people are like, did you know the fat dude? My mama told me? Also say the dunkskin one? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Crazy?
Speaker 1: But also Shwayze, if you're out there, we'd love to have you on.
Speaker 2: We'd love to have Shwayze on. That would be that'd be a dream to have on. And and ask him what else he did besides like Corona Lime song.
Speaker 1: I bet you he got enough money that now he makes the music he really wants to make. And that did make it sound like I'm Shwayzy.
Speaker 2: How I bet just moved into a nice apartment with his girlfriend.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it got dog.
Speaker 2: I bet sway has built a pretty good life for himself in Denver, Colorado. I think, all right, all right, we can't talk shway Ze.
Speaker 1: I mean, we could talk Shazy all day because he is us when we are him. But we have an email. Let's get into it. I'm going to read it. Uh, this is from Berner. I don't know if that means it's it's from their burner email.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, I think it's from Uh they say their name at the bottom, so I think it's from Dred. Yeah, but yeah, I think he has a burner email because I guess we're pretty dangerous to communicate with.
Speaker 1: That's it. I would not want the people I work with. No I was sending emails to us.
Speaker 2: That's fair. Yeah, yeah, that's true.
Speaker 1: Like every now and again we'll get an e edu email and you're like, damn you really.
Speaker 2: All Yeah, that's how I would live. But to each.
Speaker 1: One, all right, Dre says, what's up? Langston and Bory want to start by saying I bought Borys special and that shit was hilarious. Is the first time I'm seeing a grid arranged special? Well, say, it's so funny, like specializing in. I'm excited whatever lights cananticks away. As for my conspiracy, the white elite used luxury brands and high fashion to demolish black people's self image by incepting in us their beliefs of white supremacy. I believe that pretty good. I believe that America's obsession with name brands is rooted in its history of branding enslaved people. Damn, that's crazy. Slavers were burning their names into the flesh of our ancestors, and that cruder version of capitalism refined itself so that we now look for validation in the brand of the white man. Why do we brag about putting a pasts name on our bodies? Consider how many times you've been roasted or seen someone get roasted for wearing some friend shit. Brother, we have both brought up painful stories on that very thing. We uphold names like Chanel not a white man but a Nazi collaborator, Birdberry and some other ship. I'm too broke to know about it. I like this guy, I like this guy.
Speaker 2: Dre's like Chanelle, Birberry, the Rest.
Speaker 5: And Company, and the Rest eleven, all of them.
Speaker 1: Uh, he says, yeah, So Birdberry is some other shit I'm too broke to know about. Over ourselves and don't acknowledge that we're defaulting to whiteness is the benchmark for success and prestige. The white devil has many tricks, but none of them are new. What are y'all's thoughts on the matter. Love the Podcast by bitch, Dre. Wow, this was that was awesome. I really like what you're what you're putting down here, Dre. I think I think there's a lot of real logic to it. It feels true in some sense to me that that we are seeking this strange validation from sort of like or validation from having the white man's name on our chests and backs and butts and shit, and that's odd and willing to pay egregious prices for it, go broke for it. Yeah, when the quality is not higher. That's been proven time and time again. It's not better quality. I mean, I think when you get into the higher end shit, but like the ship rappers.
Speaker 2: Be wear in like no but even and I can't remember what brand it was so part of me for butchering this a little bit, but a very famous brand just got outed for having some thousand dollars item that they basically it showed that like the price of making it was like pennies on the dollar that they were charging it for that there was no logical explanation for the price beyond it just being the brand.
Speaker 1: I mean, if Ali Baba is to be believed, they all get their shit from the same four or five basic manufact like if you're getting a T shirt, it's from the same few, it's all the same shit. But yeah, I mean I think that you hear this so many times where it's like, and that's the weird thing about fashion right where it's like, even even like Tommy Hillfliger has worked its way back into the culture and things like that, they weren't necessarily true, but the idea of that, like some of these these houses are just the age of them is what makes them timeless. And it feels like we are maybe not willing to adapt to something newer that could maybe reflect the culture more.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think a lot, and this is not to paint myself with some sort of hero I think a lot about where I jumped off of the Kanye train right specifically, it was during that era where he was yelling at Sway about the leather fucking pants and shit, the leather joggers and how nobody was appreciating sort of his innovation in the fashion space. And what made me so angry inside of it was and I know people love Yesus that album and talk about how great it was, but it felt so icky to me because it was just this black man being angry that he couldn't have access to whiteness, that like he wasn't being treated as a white emperor in these white spaces. And I think it what Dre is saying connects very or rings very true to what I felt then and continue to feel now, where it's like as much as I respect that, like some things just do look fly and like, spend whatever money you want to spend to look the way you want to look like. I don't think that we need to spend our lives like you only by bye black and if you got the white man clothes on you a prisoner, blah blah blah. But like we do have to reassess our logic a little bit. We're calling upon you because we have new merch. We have very exciting merch that we are now selling and it's it's fucking great. We love it so much.
Speaker 1: Just sleek, it's sexy.
Speaker 2: Come on, you want to tell them what we have?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we have three different types of hats, which is really fun. We have a two tone hat, an alien dad hat, the traditional logo in black and khaki. Then we have the enamel pin with an alien who has a coofie on it. Since my mama told me, and then we have t shirts that say proud little Mama, which is who you are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can buy the merch now, go to my mama told me dot merch table dot com. It's a brand new name, but it's the same old merch and we would love for you to get if you haven't got it already, and we want you to have all the sweet stuff, so get it. I think we we as an a as consumers, owe it to ourselves more than anything to reassess why these brands are valuable to us and what the ownership of these items actually holds in our real lives.
Speaker 1: And also it's also I think one thing we have to be aware of is like it feels like with a lot of those aspirational brands, we're trying to buy our way withinto that lifestyle, right, And I think that like to speak to like like that Kanye West point where it's like he wasn't mad. He wasn't mad because he wasn't trying to sell us leather joggers. No, he wanted to be accepted by whatever that establishment was and service to them. And I understand that, but I do also get the idea of like, well, fuck you, that maybe we should, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think it's worth noting so much of Kanye's behavior is a reflection of mental illness more than it is like you know, the the I'm sure there's deep, deep self hatred inside of a lot of his choices too, but he's just a sick, sick man. So I don't know that it's it's as fair to be like fuck you Kanye on my behalf, not your behalf, but but it is. I do think his logic then periferated out to peripherate it is that that's I think we're going to do it.
Speaker 1: This is in a scholarly podcast, want Hey.
Speaker 2: His logic spread like a bitch out to a lot of other poorer people who then wanted to be able to feel validated by entering these white spaces and doing white shit. And it truly does feel icky when it is just for that purpose.
Speaker 1: Especially because like a lot of times, there are still tiers, even to those things like the luxury brands and things like that, there's still tears in the way that like Jeff Bezos isn't wearing a shirt that says product on it, right, right, he's not wearing he's not wearing the Louis Vauton sports shirt that isn't blazz and huge on the chest.
Speaker 2: Bezos is. But that's a dude that got bullied into getting buff in his sixties, so which he's got his own shit going on. I take your point that, like a the elitist of elite are not focused on the brands the way that we are are branding ourselves, and it is sort of a trapping of poverty in a lot of ways. It is just four people in the same core.
Speaker 1: There's a whole thing about dressing called stealth will It's like a whole thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know the Bill Gates wearing the same outfit every.
Speaker 1: Day, right right, right, and you don't realize because you're not up on it. But that hat is three hundred dollars even.
Speaker 6: Though it looks right. I watched a video of that's what I'm doing. I watched the video of one of those you know, those people on the street that be like, what you wearing? What you wearing?
Speaker 2: What tell you? Tell us what he got? Yeah, yeah, I was watching those two. I feel weird when I watch him, but I do. I do find myself in little like sinkholes watching it's interesting you, But I watched one with Willem Dafoe on the street and he I'm a big fan of Willem Dafoe. Yeah you're the guy you taught me that. Yeah, little tiny guy. But but that said, huge talent, huge, huge talent. But Willem Dafoe did one of those and he had on what I would describe as a very ugly outfit. But it was like Prada jacket, fucking like Gucci this. It was like a lot of very high fashion, expensive items. But you can tell he just has had them for a really long time and has warned them to their end, you know what I mean, Like he truly is just using it as utility more than just like, oh, an item that I've spent thousands of dollars on for no reason other than to look fly kind of thing.
Speaker 1: True? True? Have you ever have you ever found yourself having too many labels on it? Oncen't feeling weird? Yeah?
Speaker 2: When we were kids, we used to call it perpetrating when you had on like mismatched labels.
Speaker 1: Did man, he would have hated me in Chicago. Yeah, we used to FOBU sock and echosocked on.
Speaker 2: You used to get eating a live if you had on like a fat Farm shirt and some Rockawar jeans, but.
Speaker 1: That was you couldn't I feel like you. I think it's okay, different pants and different ship, but like I would be sometimes yeah real crazy, yes, Like the jacket is different than the hoodie, is different than the pin, you know what I mean? In that MATCHI machi shit though, now it makes you look like a loser.
Speaker 2: And that's the thing. We grew up in an era where I think brands were much more like you wouldn't buy a shirt if it wasn't branded in some way. And now I think the kids are a little more interested, or at least for a while, we're more interested in like things without labels, things that just sort of were like cool and like foreign looking, you know what I mean. And now it's sort of like it's working its way back to the way we dressed in the nineties and two thousands, where they're like, now, give me the biggest fucking logo you can imagine.
Speaker 1: Brother, it's my time to shine. I got I got all those hats with Chinese characters waiting in the attic. Just can't wait to.
Speaker 2: Did somebody say, uh, Evsugene.
Speaker 1: I wanted some though, did you have a vis I never had any. I wanted some, I wanted those. I wanted Mioshi bad.
Speaker 2: Come on, man, man, I wanted some babes.
Speaker 1: Babes wasn't even aspirational to me. It was I couldn't even really actually think about it. I was too far out of reach. How how am I going to get my hands on some babes?
Speaker 2: That's real.
Speaker 1: I didn't even see many in real life. I think I saw some bapes at Rock Island. Shout out to the eighteen and up club.
Speaker 2: Anyway, Dre, I think you're onto something. I think one hundred percent this feels very real that that there is a type of sort of like twisted ownership being created in us placing these brands on our bodies and and faces and shit. So so yes, this feels real to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love it. I love Drake. This might be the best email we've ever gotten together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's fair. I certainly certainly the most well well phrased and thoughtful and not backhanded. Somewhere inside of it that hurts one of our feelings.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like, Dre, you really see us.
Speaker 2: And yeah, you're a beautiful person, Dre, and we pray, uh, we pray for prosperity and nice Birdberry shirts for you and yours.
Speaker 1: I did. I have thought many times that I could be a Burberry guy. And I was cleaning out my old apartment because I have my girlfriend together, and I actually found an I'm what I'm pretty sure is a half a bottle of fake Burberry clown.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, so I tried to make it work. It's been fermenting for a while. Let's see what that smells like. Yeah, yeah, it's a vintage ninety seven swap me small batch. All right, you want to tell the people where they can and what cool shit you got going on?
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely cool guy jokes eighty seven on Instagram, Patreon, dot com, backslash David Borie gb O R I E. You can watch my special self produced It's so funny. I'm going to be in Dallas August twenty third and twenty fourth at the Dallas Comedy Club. Watch Exploding Kittens on Netflix. Come to see us on tour, Start the Steal Tour.
Speaker 2: Start the Steal Baby. We're going on tour. We'll be announcing those days soon. As always, you can follow me at Langston Kerman on all platforms and watch my special It's called Bad Poetry. It's on Netflix now. And as always, if you want to send us your own drops, your own conspiracy theories, If you want to tell us which brands are secretly owned by Puerto Ricans, send it all to my Mama pod at gmail dot com. We would love to hear from you, like subscribe, rate review by some merch, Bye by bitch, Very good.
Speaker 3: Mother fucking mini episode, mini episode, motherfucking mini episode. Well the fucking mini episode, mini episode, Well, the fucking mini episode.