Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Molly John Fast and this is Fast Politics, where we discussed the top political headlines with some of today's best minds. And two thirds of Americans think Trump's tariffs will lead to higher prices.
Speaker 2: The other third don't know where they are. That's according to Poles.
Speaker 1: We have such a great show for you today, the Mary Trump Shows. Mary Trump stops by to talk about how her uncle is going to destroy America. Then we will talk to Garbage Days Ryan Broderick about politics being downstream from internet culture and what that means.
Speaker 2: For our political future. Spoiler it's bad. But first the news Somalia.
Speaker 3: As we were alluding to the intro to this, I think some people don't know what tariffs are, despite the fact that I feel like we've been discussing them for half a year at this point, at minimum, if we didn't learn this in school. But I'm going to shock you here. Eric Trump does not know what tariffs do.
Speaker 2: What it cannot be uh.
Speaker 3: Here he is with Warre Grimman. He's gonna show us.
Speaker 4: You want to drugs to come through our southern border, We're going to tarif you you want to allow them come through Canada, We're gonna teify China. If you're gonna allow this stuff to get sold in our country, largely produced in China, we're gonna add another ten percent.
Speaker 2: To your chair.
Speaker 4: We are gonna cost your countries, your economies.
Speaker 3: We're gonna cost.
Speaker 4: Your businesses billions, hundreds of billions at dollars. If you think you're gonna pair you know terror, you're going to poison Americans. It's not gonna happen. You're not gonna destroy your youth. You're not gonna destroy our society. You're not gonna destroy our families. You're not gonna do it.
Speaker 3: It's going to cost you.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna put an end to it.
Speaker 1: Laura.
Speaker 4: When my father sent that twenty minutes ago, I literally cheered out loud.
Speaker 1: I want to talk about the second son, the drama of the second side.
Speaker 3: You better watch it. He might tear a few.
Speaker 1: Yes, he's gonna he's reading his father's tweets. All he wants is for his father to love him, and instead all he gets are his tweets, and he says, yay, Dad.
Speaker 3: Can I ask you a question?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Do you think your kids ever read your tweets? And stand up and cheer?
Speaker 2: No? I want to talk about this.
Speaker 1: Tariffs do make things more expensive, yes, but the people selling the drugs are not the Chinese government, right, they understand that.
Speaker 3: Right, They're not the exporters and importers of.
Speaker 2: Fent and all.
Speaker 1: I mean, look, man, Trump was elected to make everything less expensive, and so he's going to make everything more expensive by putting tariffs on it, including fent and al. You're not going to be able to get a cheap vent and all anywhere. Just kidding, No, no, don't get vent and all. Don't take drugs. Also, don't tariff everything, thank you.
Speaker 3: Just say no to tariffs and drugs.
Speaker 2: Tariffs drugs, no, thank you.
Speaker 3: All right, Molly, let's talk about the elephant of stupidity in the room. Trump got away with everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he did.
Speaker 1: That's the top line here is that Jack Smith has made it official's over. He's dismissing the case without prejudice, so it could theoretically be opened up again. But let's be honest. I think that we all know this is the end of the law trying to hold Trump accountable. I mean, I don't think any of us should be surprised, but I do think the one thing I will say is that people put too much faith, and.
Speaker 2: By people, I mean me as well.
Speaker 1: I'm not some you know, if we've learned anything from his election, it's that I, you know, just have the same sort of I'm wrong too infallible for sure. But I think that we definitely saw that a lot of people really thought that the law would hold Trump accountable for some of the ways he evaded accountability, and it was unable to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that sounds about right. So here's a blast for the past. Do you perhaps remember a bunch of not so fine people named No Labels?
Speaker 1: I yes, No Labels, Nancy Jacobson and the former Clinton pollster Mark Penn, who went on to start No Labels and get a lot of money from a lot of different people, threatening to run a third party candidate, which they never did.
Speaker 2: But they are still salty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they seem pretty salty. They launched this big glossuit. What are you seeing here?
Speaker 1: This should not be surprising because it's so stupid, but it is maybe a little surprising. So No Labels is going after Reid Hoffman and Third Way because they feel that they were insufficiently supportive of.
Speaker 2: The candidate they never ran. I mean, this is like.
Speaker 1: If we had run a candidate, you would have been bad. So they're trying to get a legal discovery going exposing the secret machinations that they think led to their project's demise. Again, I'm not sure how this works, but it does seem like an enormous waste of time for all parties involved. And we'll see what happens. But you know, No Labels continues to be up to no good.
Speaker 2: You're welcome.
Speaker 3: Now we get to what seems to be a mandatory section of this podcast, which is what dumb shit is Elon up to.
Speaker 1: When we last saw Elon mush Or, as Donald Trump calls him Leon, he was jumping up and down and exposing his stomach, forming his body in the shape of an X, and complaining bitterly about how mean the mainstream media was to him. You will be shocked to hear that, in fact, he is still complaining about the mainstream media. But this is an interesting media issue because it is Elon Musk versus Rupert Murdoch. So Trump is billionaire's biggest supporter, richest man in the world, is furious at legacy media, this time the Wall Street Journal, owned by Rupert Murdoch, which is unbelievably ironic and hilarious. So they have a big piece that dropped on Monday night which was about the environmental problems at his Tesla facility in Texas. I just want to say that the headline is Musk says he wants to save the planet, Teslass factories are making it dirtier, and then he captioned it writing, legacy media is a sewer pipe of lies. This is a team who have won Pulitzerprises. They are pretty smart and careful. It's hard for me to imagine that Walter Journal does some of the best reporting going and Elon is furious because look the reason they don't the reason and again, like, this is the thing I would say to those of us who are on the more liberal side when we critique the mainstream media, is like, the mainstream media is actually trying to keep these people accountable, and without them, you will never know about the dirty Tesla factory or the dumping this waste in the river. And so the reason that Elon is at war with the mainstream media is because he doesn't want people reporting stuff. He just wants Tesla fans one, two, three news and Maga News four, five, six and so it is really important to realize, like this is real and in fact, his mother, you may remember May Musk, has been going on television to complain about how unfair it is that people are mean to her son, who happens to be the richest man in the entire world.
Speaker 3: Real mom going to the principal's office to clean up the best of a shitty kid.
Speaker 2: De energy going on right there, Yeah, Aze and gentlemen.
Speaker 1: Mary Trump is the host of The Mary Trump Show and the author of Who Could Ever Love You? A family memoir. Welcome back to Fast Politics, Mary Trump, thank you for having me, Molly joc Fast, I love you, and we are real friends.
Speaker 2: You know, we're in the woods right now. We're in November.
Speaker 1: You know, we're not in the second Trump admin yet, but we're starting to get a feel of the insanity that we all remember from twenty sixteen, the sheer chaoticness of it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, with the recognition because we've been paying attention that this is going to be much worse.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly, and in fact, we were talking about this just now, Like there are definitely people in our business, in the media industrial complex, and I think like one of the things I'm struck by is like I wrote about getting a lot of the election wrong, or at least I thought Harris was going to win, and I got that wrong.
Speaker 2: And there were other things I got wrong.
Speaker 1: And I've spent a lot of time like thinking about the ways in which wish casting overwhelmed my I for data, you know, stuff like that. But I want to be clear eyed and like the truth is. And people say this to me. Sometimes they'll be like, well, didn't you guys all want them to win? And I'm like, I did not, But there are definitely people who work in the mainstream media who did.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, then what, as I said, be careful what you wish for. It's not going to end well for a lot of people.
Speaker 2: It's not going to end well for anyone.
Speaker 1: And it's funny because it's like, when we are talking about this, it's like we're in this period where I just hope it's not going to be as bad as the stuff I've read in Project twenty twenty five.
Speaker 5: I hope that I'm not confident of that, because there's literally no reason it wouldn't be. I just want to say something really quickly though, about people's receptions of how the election was going to go for alone time. Some people were saying it's not close, it's uncertain, and right that it was both, And I think that it's extraordinarily important to point out that there have been massive global trends against incumbency, and which is deeply unfair for many reasons, because the reason where where we are now in some ways is directly because of the malfeasance and incompetence of the first Trump administration. But the United States, across every economic indicator, it's fared better than every other country in the developed world, and the margin in our election was much much smaller than in any other as far as I'm aware. So I don't think it was a mistake at all to believe that Harris was going to pull it out. She did extraordinarily well under very difficult circumstances. And we now know that it was people who made up their minds late in the game who broke for Donald because of massive amounts of disinformation that we're being pumped in. So I don't think we were wrong quite honestly.
Speaker 1: Right, No, now I agree, and I feel like I was wrong about certain things, and I saw things that I ignored and actually about this but I agree that it was certainly much closer than it was anywhere else. And also, I mean, they're just any number of things that are important or remember here. And also Democrats did in almost all the swing states except for Pennsylvania.
Speaker 2: Keep the Senate seed.
Speaker 5: That's something really important to keep in mind. And the other important thing to keep in mind. I guess it doesn't matter, it really matter, but it matters to me because we have a huge uphill battle to climb now. Donald Trump one does not have a mandate. He didn't even break fifty percent of the popular vote. The margin is the smallest it's been in modern history because remember Gore won the popular.
Speaker 2: Vote right exactly.
Speaker 5: It is the smallest margin of popular vote victory. And in my view, he's an illegitimate president because he was an illegitimate candidate, and the fact that he was able to run it all speaks less to his ability to overcome obstacles than it does to how deeply broken the system is that somebody like him was allowed to run in the first place.
Speaker 1: A good point, this is something that I've sort of gotten to in my head, is that if you look at the election results, we see that it's like what Trump did was the same thing he did in twenty twenty and twenty sixteen, which was he was able to create his own thing right and get non voters voting, And we can sort of unpack how he did that, though I don't think we totally get I don't think we have completely all the information yet. But I think that if you compare it to like, there's so much punitrary about like the Democratic.
Speaker 2: Brand being bad, but I don't actually think that's right.
Speaker 1: I actually think I think Democrats didn't do enough to get their base engaged and try too hard to win over Republicans who weren't white on college educated women who weren't coming along with it anyway.
Speaker 2: I also think that there's a real.
Speaker 1: Theory of the case that the brand that is worst off is a publican brand.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, it's absurd to claim otherwise. And I think this falls under the umbrella of normalization of corporate media in particular, always coming down to the disadvantage of Democrats to normalize Donald and everything that the Republican Party has been doing, because you know, treating this election like it was a normal election and saying that the Democrats lost because their brand is terrible they have to, you know, burshe the party and rebuild it from the ground up.
Speaker 2: Right. It's crazy.
Speaker 5: It's completely crazy because again they barely lost. Okay, you know, we do make the electoral College calculations, which unfortunately we have to do. It was what two hundred and twenty five votes in seven states or something. So that's just absurd on its face. And it also completely ignores the fact that the Republicans nominated an adjudicated rapist, a man who was convicted of thirty four felonies, who started the Big Lie, who had incited an insurrection against his own government, who was out on bail and three other jurisdictions, and who is where he is today simply because our system is so deeply, deeply corrupt that one federal judge and six illegitiate members of the Supreme Court decided that he was above the law.
Speaker 1: But I also think just one last part of this, like when you look at the numbers, you see that, in fact, voters did this crazy thing where in a lot of these swing states they voted for Trump and then they left the bottom of the ticket blank.
Speaker 5: Right, Or there was more splitting of tickets than usual, or there was some very odd, very voting patterns that I think need to be taken into account or you know, need to be not investigated, but examined analyzed, because that's information we need to have, like what happened there? What is that about? But the other thing that I completely forgot to mention is that, you know, this isn't about the Democratic brand. This is about the fact that this the United States of America, continues to be a deeply racist and misogynistic country. You've got sixty percent of white men and fifty three percent of white women voting for this adjudicated rapist, voting for the men who is proud to have made women in half of our state's second class citizens, who is proud to take away a fundamental right that women have had for over fifty years simply because his opponent was a black woman. We can't just skip over that, because that continues to be a fundamental problem that is not getting fixed.
Speaker 1: Yes, but I'm wondering, can we talk about like what we do now with Trump? So sorry, I always forget that we have to cover him because he's the president. We don't have to give him the benefit of the doubt because we covered him for four years.
Speaker 2: Do you feel like that is the way to do it? I mean, what do you think.
Speaker 5: I don't think I've ever met anybody who deserves the benefit of the doubt less Donald Trump right exactly. Yes, we have to cover him, and we have to cover him properly because we're already seeing many of the corporate media falling down one because there was just a pole taking. And the majority of Americans think that the transition is going swimmingly.
Speaker 2: Oh no, really, really, what is it? What is the swimming part of it?
Speaker 5: They like his picks, you know, they like dominees. Maybe some of them like the fact that he's not going to demean himself by blowing procede jerk.
Speaker 1: Oh Jesus Christ. Yeah, by letting his cabinet appointments be it. Yeah, that's terrible. And nobody wants that.
Speaker 5: Signing the memoranda of understanding, which gives the GSA power to make sure that there's no grift happening or no barn money being illicitly raised, etcetera, etcetera. So he's not any of that stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, nobody likes that.
Speaker 5: I think we need to cover him absolutely so that we can disabuse people of these notions. That does not, however, mean making it easier for him, like the idea I was talking to somebody earlier about, you know, access journalism, and what is the point of interviewing Donald Trump at this He's just going to lie to your face and try to, you know, tear down anybody in the media who thwarts him or who fact checks him, or what have you. I think he needs to be covered like a hostile foreign power, because he is one, right.
Speaker 1: I also think that it's sort of an interesting like. I mean, I do think, look, they have to cover him, and coverage means that could mean any number of things, right, But you.
Speaker 2: Know, and I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm of two minds about interviewing him, because you certainly have to talk to the people around him. You're going to get stories that way. Trump's White House leaks like a sieve. The only way that any of the norms and institutions are going to hold is if people are leaking out some of the nefarious stuff they're doing, which delightfully they all love to do. So, I mean, I'm very conflicted about sort of the right way to go about this, And there is no handbook for covering an authoritarian and in what's left of a democracy.
Speaker 5: No, I think we'll know more when we see what happens with the White House Press Office. You know, when we see who gets press passes, who doesn't, who gets better seating, who doesn't. You know, who gets pushed to the back of the room, who's allowed to the first two rows? Is a NEWSMAC and more of Fox people and Charlie Kirk and those people I know, people who probably aren't going to going to get press passes this Cybern. That'll be a good cue for what how we handle it. But and I mean this is this has been true for a long time. We need stronger independent media. There are two things that continue to mystify me and have for a long time. Why the Democrats haven't for decades now made the Supreme Court more important issue, and why there's nobody on the left throwing tons of money at independent media. And then there's a new third thing, which is why the Democrats did absolutely nothing to create safeguards against the potential for another Trump administration.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, yeah, all right, sounds right to me. I mean yeah, I mean, I it certainly sounds right to me. I also am just shocked that we're hearing at I mean, now is the other thing dead? And I also feel I mean, I don't know how this happened. I mean, I do know how this happened, and I do know, but I also feel like Trump ran on this idea of making things less expensive, and now the first thing he's going to do is tariffs.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he lied about He lied about everything, and he was allowed to lie about everything because we were told, well, that's what he does that dial it's a big did right, It's all just big.
Speaker 5: So oh, he hates women and he abuses them and assaults them. Yeah, but we knew that already. Who cares like every single disqualifying thing about it? We were told that we just have to accept. So what do you do right, Like, how do you make any distinctions anymore? So, yes, he's going to do exactly the opposite. This is going to be a cacistocracy, a kleptocracy in an oligarchy all rolled into one, a little bit of a theocratic apartheid states just for fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well the theocracy as the granddaughter of a leftist communist.
Speaker 2: That stuff really bothers me.
Speaker 1: I mean it all bothers me, But that the Jim Crow stuff and the religious extremists stuff really gets to me.
Speaker 5: And that's going under the radar because the economy of the economy of the economy, which was covered so poorly that people actually thought we were better off four years ago than we are now.
Speaker 1: But some of it was poor carverage and some of it was people just don't go to the news anymore, right, I mean.
Speaker 5: Or they get it from places that just lie to them.
Speaker 1: Right exactly. Oh, Mary Trump.
Speaker 5: Well they jus feel better now.
Speaker 2: No, I don't feel better.
Speaker 5: Sorry.
Speaker 2: What else are you looking at right now? What else are you thinking about? What else are you reading?
Speaker 1: Can we do two minutes on what we're watching on television?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 7: Totally.
Speaker 1: I am watching Bad Sisters and it is really great.
Speaker 5: Had you seen it the first season already?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 5: Oh okay, yeah, it's.
Speaker 2: It's so good. What are you watching on television or reading?
Speaker 5: Or I am watching so much more television than usual, But I don't know way they gets in the background. It's all like I'm reading Murder Mysteries and I'm watching shows like you know, it's all BBC stuff pretty much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's class respect.
Speaker 5: I had been watching Slowhorses, which is amazing. But in terms of just my murder mystery phase I'm in, there's this new thing called the Marlow Murder Club, which is just silly and adorable stuff like that. I'm also watching an Australian show which is so unlike not not because it's Australian, but what it's about. It's called Under the Vines.
Speaker 2: Oh fabulous.
Speaker 5: It's just this sweet little show about two people who come together because they both inherited a vineyard. Yeah, it's just you know, That's what I'm doing because everything else is very hard.
Speaker 2: Yes, Mary, thank you for joining me.
Speaker 5: Thanks for having them Alla hanging there. We're gonna be okay.
Speaker 1: Ryan Broderick is the editor of the newsletter.
Speaker 2: On Garbage Day. Welcome to Fast Politics.
Speaker 7: Ryan, thank you, thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: I'm very excited because I am a longtime caller, first time listener.
Speaker 7: No, i am as well for you, I'm a first time caller. I'm the right version of what you said also, but for you that's true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so tell everyone what you do.
Speaker 2: You're really brilliant.
Speaker 1: And just for the people who are older like my dad who don't know about cool stuff.
Speaker 2: Sorry dad, go.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 7: So my name is Ryan Broderick. I write a newsletter called Garbage Day, and I host a podcast called Panic World, and I mainly specialize in how the Internet is turning all the brains into mashed potatoes. That's sort of my beat. So Internet culture, technology, memes, trends, whatever, whatever is needed.
Speaker 1: On the day, Andrew Breitbart had a quote that politics was downstream of culture. Yes he did, And my hottest take is that politics is downstream of Internet.
Speaker 7: I think in the last four years everything has slowly become downstream of the Internet in a way. I think that is true, and I think politics was probably the first to go at some point around twenty fifteen, probably, but everything else has now followed suit, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: I would love you.
Speaker 1: To explain an example of politics being downstream of Internet. My example would be Donald J. Trump and how he won in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 7: So I would say, definitely how he won in twenty sixteen. I am skeptical about twenty twenty four. I'm still sort of processing it.
Speaker 2: Explain.
Speaker 7: I think the Internet played a big role in propaganda for him. I'm not sure if it actually mobilized voters, but I think a twenty twenty four example that would be interesting was perhaps the miscalculation of the Democrats on the power of the pop girlies, so Charlie XCX, chapel Ron, Taylor Swift kind of attaching themselves to a very TikTok friendly campaign. And I think what we sa I saw this time around was actually the conversations that people were having about politics in America were happening on text messages. They were happening in group chats, dark social That's where Trump was sort of playing I think his best ground game, right, like destroying your phone with clips of Kamala that's kind of thing. So, but I'm on the fence. I could be persuaded. I haven't made up my mind yet.
Speaker 1: I really love having you on because this is something that no one has said to me.
Speaker 2: Really, I'm on this weird like post.
Speaker 1: Mortem What I Got Wrong tour where I wrote about everything I got wrong, and then I tried to ask people what I got wrong, And now I sort of want to know what everybody else got wrong. And literally no one has made this suggestion to me. So I want you to spend another minute talking about it because it's meaningful and important. So and it explained us the difference between the sort of outward facing Internet and the kind of inward facing Internet.
Speaker 7: Sure, I've been thinking about this because it's part of my post mortem because I was spending the summer being like she's got it, Like this is so good. I love this. It's like, Okay, it didn't matter. Why didn't it matter?
Speaker 1: Right, same exactly. I was like, we're gonna know. Early I was on television and I was like, I think it's all gonna have and Matt Rachel Mattow is like, really gave me. Yeah, she gave me like you're gonna be okay, pep talk because I was like, had seen a ghost and she was like, you're gonna be okay.
Speaker 7: I think Rachel Maddow is correct. So okay. The first thing is like public versus private Internet, Right, So ten years ago, I think it was much more robust. So you had Facebook as the biggest public platform, and then you had Facebook actually in a lot of ways being downstream once again of Twitter, which is I always sort of think of as the tip of the iceberg of the Internet. It's small, but it's influential. You can kind of see the patterns and rhythms of the Internet. There but there's a bunch of other platforms Instagram, read it all that. Then you have private internet, which I think was more popular in other countries before it was popular in America because you have platforms like WhatsApp, telegram, signal. During the pandemic, I think Americans kind of actually really embraced what is called dark socials. So this is like email publishing, text messages, group chat, discord, and where I have seen sort of the most interesting points made about the Trump digital campaign is that he seemed to be very focused on text messages, podcasting another dark social platform, because you can't really see who's listening to your podcast, right. He seemed to be tapping into that a lot more than trying to go viral on TikTok or something, which would be the sort of the twenty twenties version of Facebook, the sort of mega platform everybody's on now, and it seemed to work. So my theory is that like that must be where people were sort of talking to each other more honestly, Whereas I think ten years ago people were being like in the comments on Facebook, fighting about politics very well. I think that conversation has moved to private spaces now, so.
Speaker 1: Does that mean that there is a whole politics discourse that we're not seeing.
Speaker 7: It's possible. And I am on the fence about this, like I do wonder, okay, if it's not happening there, where is it happening? Like when I woke up the morning after the election, I saw that he won the plot their vote, My first thought was like, all right, well, there's no arguing with this one, like you know, okay, So then my next question is where did people this that? Like where was that happening? And you know, it could be that just people are out in bars and restaurants and physical spaces, but I have to imagine there's a digital trail there. And so my last guess is, like that conversation is happening in private digital spaces.
Speaker 2: It makes sense.
Speaker 1: And in fact, I did go to campaign headquarters in Wilmington, Delaware, which was, by the way, the most difficult assignment I've ever done.
Speaker 2: Like they didn't want to have me.
Speaker 1: I was given like three minutes with each person, and it was very like it was it felt very controlled.
Speaker 7: For Trump or for Harris, for Harris, for Harris, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Trump, I mean Trump campaign would not let me. Yeah, it was like and the death threats were awesome. But I went to the Harris campaign and one of the things that people were talking to me about was this idea that they were doing, like what app ads in different networks about climate change, Like they had figured out that there was a garden that gardening WhatsApp chat would be a good place to talk about climate change.
Speaker 7: That's so such a Democrat idea. I love it. Plants, Yeah, they like plants, right, they must want plants to live.
Speaker 1: Well, the problem is, you know, it's like the Democrats, they're the good guys, but unfortunately the good guys. I mean, that's the thing about like just to get to superhero movies for a minute, Like I know, in superhero movies, the good guys win, but I see in American politics that does not always happen or ever.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it does feel like ever for sure lately. I mean the massive sort of slide to Trump this time around. I think another interesting thing here is sort of I think the millennial misunderstanding about gen Z's politics. We sort of like welcome them like the saviors of the human race, and it turns out they're all like addicted to gambling and like don't like women. And comple outside.
Speaker 2: They want flavored vapes.
Speaker 7: They love vaping. They love vaping. Once we got rid of the flavored jewels, they're like, I'm voting for Trump. This is too much government regulation for me.
Speaker 2: It's right, flavored jewels. I mean that really?
Speaker 1: So gen Z, how old are they and why are they ruining our lives?
Speaker 7: I think the cutoff right now is what like twenty six or twenty seven something like that, and.
Speaker 2: They're all Trumpers.
Speaker 7: They do seem to be a little more conservative, and I've heard a bunch of different explanations for why, Like was it too much zoom school during the pandemic? Was it online dating destroying like, you know, physical interactions. I don't really know. I do think we tend to assume that they're the ones making all of the gen Z content we're seeing online, when actually it's like millennials, and I think that they're I call them the lurker generation.
Speaker 2: I think the millennial I.
Speaker 7: Am I'm a dead center in the middle.
Speaker 2: Yeah what am I?
Speaker 3: You and R R Zennils were on the cusp of millennial and gen X.
Speaker 7: That's a good place to be.
Speaker 2: No, it's not.
Speaker 7: That's good. You still remember when TV was good. Yeah, that's true. I call gen Z the lurker generation. I think they consume a lot of Internet content, but they don't particularly make it. And I think if you imagine, let's say you are twenty six right now, so you are sixteen when Trump became president, that means the most formative years of your sort of media diet have been shaped by a post Trump world. And so when I think of like a gen Z kid growing up in you know, a red pilled manosphere centric Internet, it's not super surprising to me that they might have conservative views of the world because they just they've never seen a different version of the Internet, right, all right.
Speaker 1: They've never seen a different version of the Internet. Where are they seeing this version of the internet.
Speaker 7: Based on what I've seen, what I've read about Now, you're.
Speaker 1: An expert, listen, right, you're an expert here. You're allowed to be an expert. Just go for it.
Speaker 7: No, but I always try to sort of make sure I'm up to date here, TikTok, Instagram, and Snapchat if you're a little younger or still in school. So that seems to be the major three.
Speaker 1: I just want to like do two seconds on TikTok. TikTok is owned by the Chinese government.
Speaker 7: I mean it's only by dance, which is clearly you know, under the thumb on the Chines.
Speaker 1: Because yeah, and the album rhythm that the Americans get are like bannarexi and hate women. And the algorithms that the Chinese get our do school and be a hard work.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I will say, Okay, so you're you're probably talking about Duian, which is sort of it's sort of like TikTok, but it's not. It's a I call it like a sister app or a cousin app. It's it is a different app.
Speaker 2: Can we get that app here?
Speaker 7: I've used it. It's I mean, I watched a Chinese farmer cook. He deep fried a whole ostrich leg on Duian and it was so fascinating. It was massive. I think the Chinese algorithm is probably better.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was very big. It was a very big Did they take the feathers off?
Speaker 7: Yeah yeah, no, the whole thing. He prepared it like a chicken wing, but it was a size of an ostrich. It was amazing.
Speaker 2: That's amazing.
Speaker 7: Yeah. So I think the biggest misunderstanding what TikTok is that Okay, you know how like Facebook, there would be like a dog, for instance, that would go viral and everyone on Facebook would see this dog or Gangham style. We all knew Gangham style.
Speaker 2: Oh I wish I didn't, but yes.
Speaker 7: Yeah, TikTok doesn't work that way. So your TikTok and my TikTok never to shell me. It is totally personalized. So yeah, it might trigger for somebody eating disorder content. For other people, it might be like slime videos where you like make slime.
Speaker 2: Oh, so the eating disorder is just special for may Okay.
Speaker 7: I guess you might be getting the Osama bin laden letter, but I might be getting isis propaganda? Like It's just different for everybody.
Speaker 1: So so one of the things that I'm struck by is I think that the grown ups, and I'm thinking of like like sort of the Joe Biden crew may have underestimated the power of TikTok.
Speaker 7: I have seen numerous like younger Internet users pointing out the very clear irony of Kamala being like it's brat summer on TikTok. Just don't pay attention to what Joe Biden My literal president that I'm working for right now wants to do to TikTok in six months, which is ban it, right, So I do think they notice the cognitive dissonance there. For sure.
Speaker 1: It is supposed to be banned in December, right, but like make it make sense because Trump is.
Speaker 2: Not going to ban it.
Speaker 7: No, Trump doesn't care. He doesn't care about TikTok at all.
Speaker 2: He doesn't care, but he also benefits from it.
Speaker 7: I think he benefits from doing the reverse of anything Joe Biden wants to do right, especially early. So I do think if Biden does go through with the band, which last I read, I think the deadline for the band so okay. The way I understand it works is like Biden Dance has to divest TikTok by December, let's say mid December, and if they don't buy that deadline by January tenth, Biden bans it. So it could be a situation where they missed the deadline and just sort of try to keep it in the courts and then Trump's like, yeah, we're good, Like you don't have the you can stay. That's what I assume will have.
Speaker 1: So this is one of my favorite things to complain to members of Congress about they hate they really hate me for doing this. One of the many things I do that's very annoying is I get members of Congress on the podcast and then I, because I am the granddaughter of a communist, then spend all this time complaining that they are unable to regulate technology, and then they say things like well and.
Speaker 2: Give some very unsatisfying answer.
Speaker 1: Sure, now that period of American life is over, right, because on January twenty first, Trump is going to come in there and they are not going to regulate anything ever again.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, it's all good. Well unless like some China hawk gets in his year about like Hawaii or something. But yeah, I don't think it's really going to happen in a meaningful way for a long time. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, and we're going to have a boom of AI which is going to replace all of us likely hopefully go.
Speaker 7: A clippy for everybody.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, explain what a clippy is.
Speaker 7: It's a little paper clip and Microsoft word and now we have like a very expensive version that destroys the planet every time you make a generate pornography for you. It's great, it's the future. We all want it, and.
Speaker 2: It's what Elon Musk is going to put in all our brains.
Speaker 7: It's right, Yeah, the Department of Government Efficiency, which has two bosses, very efficient.
Speaker 1: Right, It's so efficient they needed two people to leave it. And Marjorie Taylor Green in Congress because this that's great.
Speaker 7: I love that. That's super fun for it's funny.
Speaker 2: The movie version of it can never ever compete.
Speaker 7: Go on, Sorry, I think the closest movie I've seen to our current political situation is like Death of Stalin. I think you've got to kind of like abstract it, you know, so he you don't notice the similarities.
Speaker 2: Thanksgiving is Death of Stallin exactly. Yeah.
Speaker 7: No, But in terms of tech regulation under Trump, he is interesting because, like he got fixated on Fortnite during his first administration and he really wanted to ban Fortnite, and I always heard the rumor that it was because he caught Baron playing it too much, and I always sort of liked that idea, like that's why he's an anti Fortnite. I mean, he's a he's a demagogue, so he'll he'll pick random stuff to just like get upset about. So who knows, like he might just like discover technology in the next four years, like we got to get rid of it for like no reason. You know, that's just life under a dictatorship.
Speaker 2: We laugh to keep from crime exactly.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I want you to this is a thing I've been thinking about a lot.
Speaker 2: And these people love technology, right.
Speaker 1: Elon Musk made billions of dollars in government subsidies. Yeah, ilady abound and also on technology.
Speaker 2: But they hate science, right. Huh. Explain this to me.
Speaker 7: Okay, so they like technology. The kind of crew you're talking about, the Peter Tails that Ela Musks are bosses.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that they see you are about to run the federal government.
Speaker 7: They are very obsessed with this idea that they sometimes refer to as like the Dark Enlightenment or the network state. It's it's essentially just like libertarianism run by computers. And they believe that the CEO curtisey Arvin, Yeah, that kind of stuff, right, Okay. I don't think Trump has any idea what any of that means, because, like, I don't think Trump is very online. If you told me Trump can't read, like, I believe you, like I believe that he's not. I saw a video where he's just he's he's the one dictating his tweets to some woman who's writing them down, so like it's possible he doesn't know how to read. So I don't think he's like this four chance Fengali guy. I think he's just like a guy. He's a poster. Yeah, but the text of you know, they have his ear and they basically just want to smash, you know, any sort of federal regulations, any sort of federal protections. And that's why they like technology and they don't like science. I mean, they don't like regulations based in science. So that's why they want you to drink raw milk and do get bird flu because like they don't want to have to deal with regulations. I think it's just a tax thing basically, yep, money.
Speaker 2: Thing, right, it's probably just a tax thing.
Speaker 4: Though.
Speaker 2: Raw milk is Have you had it?
Speaker 7: Is it good?
Speaker 2: No? I haven't had it milk. I just have skim milk.
Speaker 7: I cannot have rough. I will die. I will fork to death.
Speaker 3: It's delicious.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: One of my kids has is lactose and he is so mad at me. He's like, you did this to.
Speaker 1: Me When we talk about this lack of government regulation, bird flu raw Milk, I want you to talk for one second about the possibility that RFK Junior may have actually delivered a lot of women voter to Trump, because this is a new theory I'm working through.
Speaker 7: I think you're dead on. I think the sort of connection between the Woo Woo Yoga QAnon and RFK is like a straight line through Facebook reels like it is just like go on. I had this theory actually twenty sixteen that like a lot of women voted for Trump and then regretted it because they realized that a lot of older women realized they had voted for their ex husband essentially right, And I do believe a similar phenomenon might be happening with RFK, where it's like this handsome older man who like says crazy stuff, but like in a fun kind of new agey way. I do think that that's that's helpful for them. And I remember over the summer ever, meaning like RFK might actually split the vote for Trump. But I actually think they played it pretty well.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, Yeah, they definitely played everything really well.
Speaker 2: It's funny because it's like.
Speaker 1: I wrote something critical of RFK on Vanity Fair, RFK junior, and I was swarmed by like very attractive women.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was like, why do you guys ca hair?
Speaker 1: And then it became clear to me once he won that this man not only does he have a just a horrific relationship with women on the macro or the micro, he also has it on the macro.
Speaker 7: But he's very handsome, you know. He jumps off cliffs without a shirt on. And he says stuff that people on Facebook say in real life, which I think is very attractive for like certain people in America.
Speaker 1: We're going to end on the he says things that people say on Facebook in real life, right, yeah, which is very attractive to America.
Speaker 2: You're going to have to come back.
Speaker 7: I would love to.
Speaker 2: And he.
Speaker 1: Now added to the sorry I did it, I made it.
Speaker 2: No moment Jesse Cannon, Oh Molly.
Speaker 3: You know how I know? It's about day. It's the second time we're having to discuss Laura Ingram.
Speaker 1: In one episode, Laura Ingram took aim a Republican micro.
Speaker 2: You may remember Mike Rounds from nothing.
Speaker 3: How can you talk about a Republican senator from South Dakota as nothing?
Speaker 2: Jesus nothing. You may remember him from nothing?
Speaker 1: So this political article that Ingram shared reported on Rounds, who is from South Dakota, but who Ingram is mad about, and so she's made him from North Dakota, that he was trying to reassure us ally as well. At the Congress. Round said he spent the weekend working to reset the stage. Let everybody know that everything is going to be okay, and that we're moving forward and there is consistency within the Senate. We believe there will be consistency within the House, and we welcome back former President Trump. Look, Laura Ingram wants a dictatorship on day one, maybe because who knows. But checks and balances are good. And I'm not a big fan of Mike Rounds.
Speaker 2: Actually that's not true. He might be great. Nobody even knows, has anyone ever met.
Speaker 1: But I do think that Mike Grounds is doing the right thing here, and he's trying to provide checks and balances. That actually is the job of Senate right, advise and consent. Right, they are supposed to be checking out these nominees.
Speaker 2: That's what they're supposed to be doing.
Speaker 1: So Lauringram is wrong yet again, and Mike Grounds is correct. Trump is not a North Korean dictator. He has checks and balances, just like everyone else.
Speaker 2: That's it for.
Speaker 1: This episode of Fast Politics. Tune in every Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday to hear the best minds and politics make sense of all this chaos. If you enjoy this podcast, please send it to a friend and keep the conversation going.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening.