Speaker 1: I See's Daily Game. It's a production of iHeartRadio. What's Up Sides Team, You're listening to The Daily Game, the compilation of motivational quotes I've collected over the years that I found inspiring and helped me through the game of life. James Baldwin is the source of this quote today as an activist and author, Baldwin is known for fighting for civil and gay rights. Its quote fits his mo artists are here to disturb the piece, absolutely absolutely. Now you have two different kinds of artists. You have artists that make art that just come from the heart with their ideas and their influences and what they see in life. Then you have a different kind of artists who will go in the museum see what people like and then try to emulate that. It's like me listening to a record on the radio. Everyone likes it, and then I try to copy it. Those aren't artists. Those are emula. Those are people that are copying. But a real, true artist is coming from the heart. And I believe anything from the heart will be controversial because its opinion. It's a viewpoint, and someone will always have a counterviewpoint. So if you really are saying about something, it will disturb the peace. Some artists are more controversial and more opinionated and more radical than others, and they set out to disturb the peace. I know myself, NWA Public Enemy. We set out to disturb the peace because we weren't happy with the peace. The piece was black people having injustices put upon us police brutality, and a lot of other social indignities that were going on in our lives. So we wanted to shake that shit up. So fuck your peace. We're gonna make it uncomfortable for you, at least long enough for you to listen. I think what we did help change the world because a lot of the things we sung about, young white kids understood for the first time. They may not have got it from the history books, but they got it from me, a public Enemy or Kars, and they said, you know what, these black kids ain't mad at us. They're mad at things. They're mad at issues that dad, mom, I think they're fucked up. I think this is in just and we were able to change the world together. So when James Baldwin says an artist's job artists are here to disturb the peace, I absolutely totally agree with him. And if you're an artist and you're not disrupting the piece, you're basically doing what we call pop.
Speaker 2: You're tempting to be popular.
Speaker 1: And in the world of music, where you'll have the Bob Marley's, or you'll have the Jimmy Hendrix's, or you'll have the Chuck D's, there's a different level of respect that goes to those who broke the rules versus those who fell in line. It's a whole different level of respect goes out to some of the great blues players that went up against racism and segregation and those people that fought those battles. Different level of respect than someone who's just making a pop record to get on the radio and ain't really moving nothing.
Speaker 2: If you're a real artist, you should be disturbing the piece. You know.
Speaker 1: Another thing I could say about it is you don't necessarily got to disturb the piece with your music as much as with your personality. One of the great people I heard and I always been a fan of, was David Bowie who really sent the bullet right through the head of MTV back in the day when he talked to them about playing black people on their station.
Speaker 2: And if you haven't ever heard it.
Speaker 1: You should go to YouTube and google David Bowie MTV interview and he disturbed the piece and therefore people respect him that much more for having a stance about what's right and wrong than any music you make.
Speaker 2: So you know, being.
Speaker 1: About something does help a lot. This has been another ice cold fact from me iced tea. Listening again tomorrow when I drop some wisdom on your ass till then, stay safe, stay smart, and stay knowing that your art can change the world.
Speaker 2: Icy's Daily Game.
Speaker 1: It's a production of iHeart Radio, Final Level Entertainment and Oddity, an Asylum entertainment company. The show's executive producer is Noel Brown. Supervising producer is Jordan run Talk. If you like what you heard, please subscribe and leave us a review. For more podcasts on iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows. Not every quote in this podcast was created by me. Each quote has been researched to find its origin and give proper credit to its creator.