Speaker 1: Welcome to Fantasy Football Weekly, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Time now for Fantasy Football Weekly from iHeartRadio, your weekly source for the nation's best fantasy football advice, speculation, and whatever stupid stuff they decide to drop into the show. Now, here's your host.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Fantasy Football Weekly. I'm Paul Charchie and co host today Matt Harrison. We're shaking it up. It's been a lot I can't lately. Now we get to break it up a little bit.
Speaker 3: Good to have you back.
Speaker 4: Well, you're back in Minnesota, and I believe this is the very last episode from from your kitchen, and maybe the last one will do in person for quite a while.
Speaker 3: Seriously, you can't say that, I know.
Speaker 4: But you know it's you know, Okay, let's make me get teary right now.
Speaker 3: God, we're trying to keep the.
Speaker 1: Enthusiasm for the episode, so this is really hard.
Speaker 4: I'm excited for, you know, all all the other stuff. Maybe we'll have some some extra bonus stuff on the newest version of Fantasy Football Week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's it won't be the same not being in person. Yeah, I'll be back in August. Oh, I've got some drafts, including the Scott Fish Draft. Okay, so I'll come back in August and we will do a live show there.
Speaker 4: We can definitely do that.
Speaker 1: We might too a fair show.
Speaker 4: Oh no, I know, what have you done? What have you committed to? Nothing?
Speaker 1: Nothing yet, but that's out there in the ether.
Speaker 3: We might just do a fair show.
Speaker 1: Oh man, I can't believe I would sign up for that.
Speaker 4: You know, you either like or you hate the fair shows. I know Scott Fish absolutely, he's they're like his favorite. And you're not a fan.
Speaker 1: Well, I love Once I get to the fair, I love it. It's all the dorking around the end of the fair, very.
Speaker 4: Parking and all that crap, and then walking in two miles.
Speaker 1: To get yes and all all the crowds and everything else.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's once you're there, it's fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, once you're there, it's fun.
Speaker 1: And then you know, if you leave early enough like I usually do, you're not you know, you're not migrating out at six pm with everybody else.
Speaker 3: So it's not bad.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, that part's not bad.
Speaker 1: As you can see, my house is ready to be moved. We had the big garage sale. Yeah, I had never had a garage sale in my life until last Saturday.
Speaker 4: They're not fun normally.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you've done it before.
Speaker 4: M hm uh. The the the tip that I did and I had. I have four kids, and my kids are getting older now. Two of them are headed to college this fall. So but when we had little kids and little kid clothes, one of the best things I ever did for a garage sale is I just put all the clothes out on tables organized by size, and I put out a whole bunch of grocery bags, like the paper grocery bags from like buy this bag, yep, ten bucks.
Speaker 1: Filled the bag, size free, take this size for get the whole bag.
Speaker 4: No, no, just fill it. You fill the bag for ten bucks. Nobody. Nobody's arguing with me. They just came through and boom boom, just got rid of everything. Instead of people haggling over fifty cents or a quarter.
Speaker 1: Now do people try to game the system by stuffing a bunch of things in the bags.
Speaker 4: I don't care.
Speaker 3: You're just looking to get rid of it.
Speaker 1: So that's that's what I've learned about this process. Is when you're paying to move everything, you're paying by pound. So my movers to get me from here in Minnesota, to Utah, where we're headed. I'm paying by pound, and so then you really start thinking about what you what do I like so much that I'm willing to pay to move it versus whatever I could get.
Speaker 4: But you're not getting rid of it. Home, Jim is not.
Speaker 1: The roller is staying. It was a little dusty and Okay, if I'm gonna be honest about it, man, all right, yeah rower is We we sold.
Speaker 3: The rower to the new owners.
Speaker 4: Nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So if I ever need to get in a quick row, I can just come back here, bring the doorbell.
Speaker 4: I'll let you it. Yeah right, I.
Speaker 1: Remember me from the closing. This is an awkward it's just weird. I hate what you've done with the place.
Speaker 4: Here's an awkward story kind of along the same lines. When we were building our new house, we sold our house before we were able to move in. There was like a three month period where the house was still being built, and so we rented the house immediately next door to our old house, to the old house. So we sold our old house and moved next saw people living. We saw people living in our house. It's the most bizarre thing you can ever think of. And you know, they figure it out pretty quick, like, oh yeah, because our kids are like, yeah, we lived there, right, And so the the new guy was asking me all sorts of questions to the house. So I basically did the owners manuel.
Speaker 1: I bet you did, I bet you did. See that's a mixed blessing. Yeah, when we moved, we moved six and a half years ago. It may have been a steak to give my contact information to the buyers of my old.
Speaker 4: House, obviously asking fantasy questions, right, and the.
Speaker 1: Fantasy questions and yes, yes, we had somebody steal from our garage. Sound really Yeah, everything's priced to move, right, I mean, you know, everything was cheap.
Speaker 3: We had somebody steal from us.
Speaker 4: What did they steal?
Speaker 1: It was roxy saw it. It was a There was a family that came and this this irks me the most. It was the dad of a family and they bought some stuff. The dad kind of hit him. He had picked up a few things. He kind of hit him behind, behind his back. When we were tallying up all the stuff they had bought, I'm like, what do you what lesson are you giving your kids?
Speaker 3: Unbelievable?
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know who does that, but anyway.
Speaker 4: Obviously not people from Utah because that's where you're me.
Speaker 1: That's right, not to find people of Virgin Utah.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you that much.
Speaker 1: All Right, today's show, we are breaking down the teams of the AFC and NFC West. We're going to talk about the new things that have happened in the off season, because rosters aren't changing now, Matt, except wherever Aaron Rodgers goes and Kirk Cousins goes that that's going to be it. And those things haven't dropped yet.
Speaker 4: So and it seems like one of them's the Steelers and one of them's the Saints.
Speaker 1: Maybe Aaron Rodgers doesn't want to be a Saint. Kirk's going to be a backup somewhere. Probably he just doesn't want to be a backup in Atlanta. That relationship was fractured from day one and he doesn't want to be there. I still think Minnesota is a potential landing spot for Kirk come back as a backup. As a backup, we'll see. That might just be Kirk charged talking right there.
Speaker 4: I don't know they they got the guy from Seattle. Which one did they get?
Speaker 1: Yeah, they've got not Drew Locke. He's still in Seattle. It's Sam Howell.
Speaker 4: Sam Howell, and we like I think that they're probably I think.
Speaker 1: They're probably said to All right, let's start with the AFC West Matt and Kansas, a super Bowl team that didn't need a lot of change but gets a little.
Speaker 4: They get a little change. Well, actually they get a lot of change in a spot that's kind of scary. Let's start with the departures. Joe Toney traded to Chicago. He was the Chief's best blocker by a wide margin last year, played all twenty games. They're moving Kingsley saw Samutalia to left guard, and he won the tackle spot out of camp last year but was replaced after one game and had a thirty seven point nine overall great in one hundred and ninety eight snaps at tackle last year. He's got a second round pedigree, so that's something there. They also let DeAndre Hopkins, Mikole Hardman, and Justin Watson all walk from the wide receiver room, and samaj Piron Pirin left from the running back room, so there's a little bit of change there, but they didn't really have to replace it with much coming in. Jalen Moore, he was Trent Williams replacement last year at left tackle for the forty nine ers. They signed him to a twenty one million dollar deal over two years. Kind of a lot for a guy who's, you know, not that great, basically unproven, but he was above average and Pro Football Focus grading last year. So it's a completely new side left side of the offensive line. That's scary. They did franchise tag Tray Smith, leaving part of the right side of the line intact, and of course Creed Humphrey is the center and he's great. The Chiefs drafted tackled Josh Simmons in the first round, supposedly to play right tackle, but maybe left tackle, and he's recovering from a torn pateeller tendon. He won't be back till mid season at the earliest. So they could end up swapping Jalen Moore to right tackle and then throwing Simmons in left tackle. But then that's so much change on their offensive line all year, and you already got three of the five starters completely new year. How much do you really want to shake up that offensive line anymore? So I'm a little scared for Patrick Mahomes coming into this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, those are that's those are fair concerns.
Speaker 3: Fair concerns on.
Speaker 4: The wide receiver side. Rashie Rice arrives back from the hospital and having him both in Xavier Worthy on the field together could be very interesting.
Speaker 1: Rice was on fire at the start of the season before his injury and looked amazing. I thought his ADP might dip a little bit just because we didn't see him for most of last year, kind of out a side, out of mind. But he's being drafted in a in a pretty high spot. I've got it right here. Rice is going at wide receiver twenty Okay, but you know he's like wide receiver three through three weeks last year.
Speaker 4: Well, and you add in Hollywood Brown as the third wide receiver. This is probably the most interesting group of wide receivers Patrick Mahomes has ever.
Speaker 1: Had in in terms of depth. Probably, I mean Tyreek Kill. It was great when Tyreek Hill was there. They never have they never had three, They.
Speaker 4: Never had a second guy or and now.
Speaker 1: It feels like they've got three legit receivers.
Speaker 4: I think they do. So.
Speaker 1: Brown heavily used and when he came back from that injury, like yeah, week seventeen, Week eighteen of the playoffs.
Speaker 4: This was very solid. Ye Gardner Minshew's the new backup quarterback over Carson Wentz, but that only matters if Patrick Mahomes gets killed, which is possible with the new defensive line. And then Elijah Mitchell joins the weird running back room with Isaiah Pacheco and Kareem Hunt. I don't know how to read this running back room yet. Pachaco looked so bad at the tail end of last year, and maybe it was just injury, but I do not know how to read this running back room at all.
Speaker 1: It's I can This is where I'm banking on this running back room is that Kareem Hunt's not good. The dudes, all his metrics were horrible last year. We talked about it in season. Yeah, we've talked about it in previous shows. I really think that Kareem Hunt is going to be a non factor here, but they went surprisingly right away the off season they re signed him to a deal for this year. Yeah, but keep an eye on seventh rounder Brishard Smith. There's that is your wild card here. And if you're going to bank on somebody, like if I had to pay adp it for any of the guys, Pacheco, Hunt Smith. I think Smith is the guy that I'm that I'm most intrigued with, and I know he is a he is a He is a favorite for Sigmund Bloom. My good friend did his show not long ago and he beat the drum point.
Speaker 4: Remember when Carson Steele was a thing for a minute, like last year, what he happened there.
Speaker 1: Let's go to the Chargers. You're running backs a lot of change.
Speaker 3: JK.
Speaker 1: Dobbin's gone, becus Edward's gone. They drafted Naji Harris. That looked interesting for a minute because and then they blew him out of the water when they drafted are they signed Naji Harris. They drafted Omari and Hampton first round and that nuke to Naji Harris I could see as a veteran Harris could start this season with a bigger role. But Hampton's I think going to be ultimately the way better back here, and they are gonna run him a lot. We know Harbaugh loves to run. We know Greg Roman loves to run. Reminder, during Greg Roman's time in Baltimore five years, I believe his offensive coordinator, he was number one in rushing plays with Lamar Jackson but even top five. If he took Lamar Jackson rushes out, he was still top five in running play percentage. Stylistically, Hampton is a perfect match for Roman and Harbaugh. They love power runners. Hampton was the best pure power runner in this draft class.
Speaker 4: They don't draft a first round running back in a Harbaugh offense unless they're gonna pound him into the ground.
Speaker 3: I think you're exactly right about that.
Speaker 1: Hampton posted at least sixty seven missed forced tackles each of the last two seasons and had four and a half yards after contact.
Speaker 4: Dude's a beast. I mean, he's still Ashton Jentty, who will talk about.
Speaker 1: Now exactly exactly, but you know what, he's not that far off. Yeah, and through sheer volley, Well, they're both gonna get a ton of volume. All right, Let's go to the wide receiver position for the Chargers. Laden Conky is gonna continue to run from the slot yep. But then there's a lot of other changes. Quinn Johnson is still there. I don't think I care much. The team turned to old friend Mike Williams, who was awful last year and his first year back from ACL and I just think He's thirty years old, acal injuries at this at his advanced age for a guy who never had great speed, I just think he's cooked.
Speaker 4: With Keenan Allen still lurking out there on the free agent wire too, they could just get the whole band back together.
Speaker 3: They could.
Speaker 1: Although Keenan, of course traditionally slack guy.
Speaker 4: Theyam goa key.
Speaker 1: But the intriguing guy is second round pick Tray Harris, and Harris has got a wide open path to start here. He was Thor's number seven ranked wide receiver for this draft class, Dane Brugler's number eight. Super productive at Ole Miss, Tall, good frame, he had ten different one hundred yard games at Ole Miss, fourth most all time, lots of deep connections. He's a graceful, easy runner with some ball skills, and there's going to be He doesn't have an explosive game to him Trey Harris, but he has a dependable game and I think he's gonna be just a number two and Will Merges the number two receiver for the Chargers over the course of this year. Last thing, Tyler Conklin is now there as a tight end.
Speaker 3: He'll battle Will Disley. Don't really care, no So that's it.
Speaker 4: That's the Chargers.
Speaker 1: Let's go over to the Denver Broncos.
Speaker 4: Man, this is short and sweet. On the departure part, Javonte Williams left, But I don't think anybody's gonna miss him.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think Dallas is going to be all that happy to have I don't know, I don't understand.
Speaker 4: We talked about that.
Speaker 3: We did the AFC East.
Speaker 4: So on the arrival part, I searched a lot of different different places to get their take on, like the arrivals. Yeah, every single thing written about the Broncos, even in year three of the Sean Payton era, is still comparing everything they do now to the Saints, the Sean Payton. It's just the most bizarre thing. Freshen it up so well, I'm gonna I'm gonna get it out of the way, and then I'm not gonna talk Sean Payton Saints anymore.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 4: Evan Ingram Slotson is the new tight end one, but some are comparing him to the joker spots which Jimmy Graham and Jeremy Shockey filled in the Saints offense during Peyton's time in Nollins.
Speaker 1: But and Graham we forget Graham for like a three year stretch with the Saints.
Speaker 3: He was freaking awesome.
Speaker 4: Yeah he was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, shot it like ninety catches twelve hundred yards.
Speaker 3: It was nuts.
Speaker 4: Well, what Jimmy Graham really did was his red zone presence was second to none. And that's not Evan Ingram. Evan Ingram has not score. He hasn't had more than four touchdowns in a season since his rookie year back in twenty seventeen. That's seven straight years with four or fewer touchdowns. His five point four air yards was one hundred and fourth amongst qualified receivers last year. And like I said, not a red zone guy, at least he hasn't been yet. They're thinking he can get downfield, but everything that we know about bo Nix is he's was a checkdown genius and he's super accurate. Yeah, he didn't go outside. He was almost nothing to the tight ends last year. Granted they didn't really have a tight end last year. But is this gonna be Jimmy Graham having to or sorry not Jimmy Gram, Evan Ingram having to create after catch yards over and over again. Is that? Is that what it's gonna have to be. He does create a lot of yards after contact. He had over twelve hundred in the last two years.
Speaker 3: But that's a lot more than I was.
Speaker 4: Yeah so, but yeah, so do you like him?
Speaker 1: You like him outside of touchdowns? Let's just talk like for PPR value, I could see have an Ingram catching a fair number of passes this year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think he probably slots in is like somewhere ten to twelve kind of tight end, like a guy if you're not getting one of those top tight ends, a guy that you kind of waited on till the tenth or eleventh round, you snag him with another guy and you coin flip it see if one of them works out.
Speaker 1: He's ADP tight end nine right now in best Ball drafts, because that's mostly what we have right now, yes Ball drafts, So we'll use that as a reference point. M R. J.
Speaker 4: Harvey was drafted by the Broncos in the second round and it's likely the top of the running back depth chart there. But Odrick Estima and Julia McLaughlin are gonna matter a lot more than fantasy folks want to believe.
Speaker 1: Oh I like that, you know, you know, I'm a McLaughlin guy I did not like estimate when I saw. But tell me more why you think that this isn't They're not just going to hand the reins to r J.
Speaker 3: Harvey.
Speaker 4: I mean, Harvey says he wants to be get this a combo of Elvin Kamara and Darren Sprolls. That's a former say yeah.
Speaker 1: This isn't that interesting? Funny how that combination worked. I just wonder because Hall of Fame level guys.
Speaker 4: Almost Harvey was handpicked by by Peyton obviously, but he wasn't in that top group of running backs in the draft. So I'm kind of interest. Second round. Yeah, that's real. Second round pedigree is is something. So I don't know. I just think Julia McLoughlin's going to be involved in too much stuff, especially in the receiving game, just to make it matter all that way.
Speaker 1: I think if Jealil McLaughlin was as good as I want him to be, he would have emerged from last year's and more abundant seat of running backs that couldn't get anything done and jaliel couldn't get enough done to get meaningful playing time last year.
Speaker 3: I think gur J. Harvey is gonna win this job early and run away with them.
Speaker 4: You could be right. Next was third round rookie wide receiver Pat Bryant, who supposedly reminds Sean Payton.
Speaker 3: Love let me go with Mike Thomas.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 4: Yep. Of course it's got to be a former saying there's no other players in the league.
Speaker 1: So a big bodied player with ball skills and the catch on this is Corland Sutton already gives you a big frame and a touchdown end zone guy. Marvin Mims and Devon Vley they started to show last year. At the end of the year, we saw some We saw some glimpses of real talent with those guys. I think Pat Bryants, I think this is a long road before he's.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a tough depth chart for sure. And then they were talking mostly offense, but defensively. They added Drake Greenlaw, Telenoah Hugana, and John de barn to the defense and it was already a pretty good d last year. They did a lot to kind of set themselves up. Broncos D might be one of the hardest defenses to go against this year, especially against the run, So keep it keep an eye on that one.
Speaker 1: All right, last AFC West team is Las Vegas. Let's talk about obviously, Ashton Genty looks like the best rookie running backs and Saquon drops into the Marshawn Lynch role for Pete Carroll. I think everybody already knows about him, and we've talked about him. I don't know like every other show for the whole offseason, so I'm not gonna spend a lot of time on Genty. His comp is Ladanian Tomlinson. He's gonna get an incredible amount of work great hands. Raiders offensive line isn't great and didn't get better in the offseason. Their twentieth and run blocking by PFF twenty third in ESPN's run block win rate, so not great there. I love that they brought in Gino Smith, massive upgrade over eight to O'Connell and Gardner Minshew, because we finally have a Raiders quarterback who's just gonna give away drives and still for Gino, this is gonna be a low volume offense that's gonna ask him not to go throw his arm out of socket and go win games with his arm. I think they're gonna win games with Ashton Genty and just try to be efficient with Gino Smith and that doesn't.
Speaker 4: Take it down to brock Bauers over and a lot of that.
Speaker 1: I don't think that's gonna equal a lot of fantasy's success. He was Fantasy quarterback nineteen last year in Seattle with more established receivers than they have in Las Vegas. I don't know right now he's going off the board. I believe quarterback twenty five, which sounds about right. Interesting rookie draft pick in Jack Besh he ran. He is a really interesting guy. He ran a lot from the slot, which is wide open right here because Jacoby Myers is an outside guy. He rips up the sleek the seam from the slot and there's all these downfield plays for him. He led the FBS and slant routes and he is.
Speaker 3: A big, big slot receiver.
Speaker 1: You almost never see slot receivers built like this, dude, Jack Besh really interesting.
Speaker 4: Now you can Chase Claypool kind of a guy.
Speaker 3: That might be that might be an interesting comp.
Speaker 1: Actually, yeah, he's not fast, but on these long routes he uses his body to get open and get come down with contested catches. And he was very productive last year. His only year as a starter at TCU. And yeah, so that's those are the big things that have happened with the Raiders. I don't want to short sell the Ash and Gentee part, obviously that's huge. I just feel like everybody knows that's an extraordinary landing spot for him and that he's gonna get a million carries. He's going off the board right now. Is pet player ten in the first round? You can make a case for gent to be player number one.
Speaker 4: Where would you put the over under on genty touches this year?
Speaker 1: Three hundred? Well, okay, if I can take injury off the table, three thirty maybe maybe yeah, three third, let's say three thirty. You know, put a factor an injury woud knock out a couple of games. Maybe it's closer to three hundred. But yeah, that's it's gonna be the workload. It's going to be Matt Monster.
Speaker 4: Yep, yep.
Speaker 1: All right, let's uh, Matt, let's let's take a break and let's turn our attention to the NFC West. Hang tight, everybody, welcome back Fantasy Football Weekly. Paul Charchie and Matt Harrison with you. All right, Matt, let's turn our attention to the San Francisco forty nine ers, a team that had that struggled through all of last year, and ways we did not expect Christian McCaffrey maybe the biggest high risk, high reward player in the entire draft for this coming year as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, especially since backup runners Jordan Mason and Elijah Mitchell left the team. That leaves Isaac Grendo as probably a handcuff number one in drafts next year.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be in the conversation. Yeah, yep.
Speaker 4: Deebo Samuel, he was traded to Washington and tackled Jalen Moore. He went to Kansas City and we kind of talked about him a little bit. He was the Trent Williams replacement. Is Trent Williams gonna play well?
Speaker 1: They think, they hope, So you know, the questions does he even have anything left at this point? And can he stay healthy? I think are really big questions for Trent Williams.
Speaker 4: Then it's a lot to figure out on that offensive line. They also lost starting guard Aaron Banks, so a lot of departures in San Francisco. The arrivals, Maybe the most interesting arrival was Robert Salah returning as the defensive coordinator, but the defense lost so many pieces. He's basically rebuilding it from the ground up. Jordan James is a running back the Niners grabbed in the fifth round, but he was not great as an FBS runner last year, ranking outside the top sixty eight in basically every PFF metric. DeMarcus Robinson comes over from the Rams. He's currently slated as the fourth wide receiver on the depth chart behind Ayuk, Juwan Jennings and Ricky Pearsall. Robinson was solid last year. He might matter in spots.
Speaker 1: You know, he would disappear for two games and then he'd show up with a clutch catch for fifty yard touchdown, and then next game one catch.
Speaker 4: He's going to be impossible to start him in a fantasy league. I think he was like an end of the Best Ball Draft. Dart throw guy. DJ Humphries from Kansas City played ninety two snaps over two games for Case last year, and he's coming in for the offensive line. He was really bad last year, though, but they got rid of all of those guys mentioned before to sign Brock Purty to the huge five year deal. And that's just kind of how the Niners are. Their outlook rests on how good is brock Party. Is brock Party worth that contract. If he is, then they can probably overcome a lot and he's If he's a top fifteen quarterback, then they set them themselves back four or five years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think this is this is what happens when you've got on roster a good not great quarterback, because your hands are tied. You know, you got to pay him like a really good quarterback.
Speaker 4: The Vikings with Kirk Cousins forever.
Speaker 1: I would contend that Kirk was a lot better than Brock but that's but he was good, not great, I would agree, I would say very good in stretches. But yeah, but the Vikings defense was awful and their offensive line was awful. Anyway, Brandon Ayuk is a huge question mark for this coming into this year because of the injury. I love Juwon Jennings. I love how he finished the year in games he played in like this. There's some stat games he played in the second half of the season. In Fantasy points per game, he's like top ten wide out. Yeah, I'm really really interesting. What Juwon Jennings does is a potential starter for the forty nine ers.
Speaker 4: Piersall probably slots into the Deebo roll right away, slots in. Yeah, there we go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's go to Seattle. I'm very nervous about this offense, Matt. Why Yeah, Sam Donald comes in, comeback player of the.
Speaker 3: Year last year.
Speaker 4: Where's Brian?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Right, where is Brian for this? You know, an incredibly impressive season last year until the final two games when it all collapsed, mostly because the Vikings offensive line was awful and Sam just withered in the pocket.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he turned into a pumpkin.
Speaker 3: He pumpkin to badly.
Speaker 1: I'm happy to see Seattle draft in the first round Grey Zabel. They've got a new guard on that offensive line. Sam needs protection. Last year their offensive line was bad.
Speaker 4: Noted Katan player.
Speaker 1: Yes, noted katan player. We love that PFF pass block ranking last year was twenty six, and so they need to get better there. They gave up the six most sacks last year. Those are all bad things for Sam Donald. I think the question on Donald is did Kevin O'Connell coach him up so well in Minnesota that he's going to carry over some of that skills set to now a Clint Kubiak offense. They changed offensive coordinators in the offseason. They now go to Clint Kubiak. Now, last year Kubiak was the Saints offensive coordinator, and it's easy to go look the Saints, but Clint Kubiak was trying to do his best with Jake Hayner. Throwing to Bubb means, I mean, there's only so much you can do. So I don't think feel we really have a read on Clint Kubiak quite yet.
Speaker 4: Well, he was also the Vikings offensive coordinator, and the staff that got fired.
Speaker 1: He was he was, That is true. He finished eleventh in yards that year and ninth in touchdowns in passing, passing yards and touchdowns that year from Minnesota.
Speaker 4: Okay, it helps when you have you know, Jefferson and Kirk Cousins in that.
Speaker 1: Yes, it does help a lot, which they don't have. Obviously, Dk Metcalf gone from Seattle to replace him. The Seahawks made a move that I just don't understand with Cooper Cup because here is Jackson Smith and Jigma, who runs three quarters of his routes last year from the slot, and you signed Cooper Cup who runs two thirds of his routes from the lot.
Speaker 4: Now, okay, in these OTAs and stuff. Has it been reported whether or not Cup is having breakfast with Sam Darneld.
Speaker 1: That's critical because it can't catam success without the breakfast.
Speaker 4: If they don't have oatmeal together, there's nothing.
Speaker 3: What's the most important meal of today, It's breakfast.
Speaker 4: That's what.
Speaker 1: That's what Big Breakfast. That's what Big Breakfast will tell you it's the most important. Uh.
Speaker 4: And then Big Breakfast.
Speaker 1: You can't stop at breakfast.
Speaker 3: It's all a big conspiracy with Big Breakfast.
Speaker 1: By the way, that's a quick side note. Man, Listen, I love my sugary cereals. It's like everybody else. But I don't understand parents that just load their kids up with at breakfast, with lucky charms and you know, like stuff like that. All you're doing you're just pounding a bunch of sugar into your kid for breakfast. I don't get that. I don't think that's setting your kid up for a good, a good, a good day at school.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we give them an espresso and so that's right. Uh.
Speaker 1: Depth chart after Cup and Jackson Smith and Jigba disaster stuff here. Mark haz Valdez scant like his fourth team in four years.
Speaker 3: He's not a solution.
Speaker 1: Jake Bobo might honestly be forced into a starting role. They threw a couple of Day three picks at receiver, and Tory Horton and Ricky White. These are guys that were generally regarded as like the fifteenth and twentieth best receivers in the draft. They don't look like guys that are going to be meaningful here. So I'm very nervous about the Seattle offense. Let's go over to the Rams, Matt, what's new this year?
Speaker 4: Well, the aforementioned Cooper Cup he was one of the key departures. Him and DeMarcus Robinson, who all of these teams that I had, they all cycled around with each other. All these guys stayed in the West, right. It's like they like that time zone or something. Is that why you're moving out to the Mountain times.
Speaker 1: Zone because everybody's in the Mountain time zone.
Speaker 4: Everybody.
Speaker 3: There's seven of us in Mountain times exactly.
Speaker 4: So wide receivers two and three leave the Rams and tackles Joe Noteboom who went to Baltimore, and Jonah Jackson who went to Chicago. Those guys left, but neither played a ton and I think the Rams were comfortable with Alaric Jackson and Rob Havenstein, who are their two highest graded tackles, to take over that. That's really good, so I think that they feel confident there. The biggest arrival, Devonte Adams, seems like a pretty decent upgrade over Cooper Cup. He finished his wide receiver ten in points per game last year, splitting time between the Raiders and the Jets, and he just signed a two year contract worth forty six million. The Rams traded out of the first round and gained Atlanta's twenty twenty six first round pick, which I thought was one of the better trades of the entire draft. With pick forty six, they selected Terrence Ferguson is the likely te one of the future YEP, and people really like him nine point three to two RAS score by the mid part of the year. I think he's option number three in the Rams passing offense. It could be it's it's not going to take much to overtake Tyler Higbee oh No at this point in his career. And then Matthew Stafford decided to return. The Rams say it's on a year to year basis. He's got a two year deal but it's really a year to year basis kind of thing. But there is a point in the next couple of years where Stafford's going to leave and the Rams are going to be forced to revamp their quarterback position.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they don't have an obvious succession.
Speaker 4: Plan, right they don't. They have Jimmy Garoppolo as the backup, and that's not what you want to do. But that if you're a Dynasty player and you've got Puka and Kyron and even the aforementioned Terrence Ferguson, if they flash at some point this year and you're looking at you know, the top one of the top wide receivers or one of the top running backs and you can sell them in Dynasty. I think that this is a good opportunity to sell those guys if they flash at the right moment this year and get a really good return on it.
Speaker 1: I think staff for going off the board right now, as in Fantasy Draft said quarterback twenty three. But get this once Cooper Cup last year and pukin Acuk came back from Week eight forward, he was he had. He was averaging two hundred and forty two passing yards and one point eight touchdowns per game. That's quarterback thirteen and quarterback six respectively in yards and touchdowns. And they get DeVante Adams. You know, that's a sizeable upgrade over what Cooper Cup was bringing in what when Cooper Cup looked he looked washed last year. Yeah, and the upgrade to DeVante Adams and I want to steal your thunder on Adams is really significant. I thought Adams still looked very capable last year.
Speaker 4: I think he's only a year younger than Cup. So the cliff can come certainly, very quickly for DeVante Adams. But I think this particular Ram, the version of the Rams right now, they're looking at this as a year to year thing. DeVante Adams signing a two year deal and Matthew Stafford on a two year deal. That kind of makes it seem like they go, this is their window. We're gonna see if we can win one now. And it would not surprise me if before the preseason games start the Rams have two first round picks next year. If the Rams were to find out that somebody's unhappy, they're notoriously the f them picks team, they could move both of their first round picks for next year and and come in and see if they can get a couple of superstars to add to their defense.
Speaker 1: My assumption is they're going to use their two first round picks next year to vault to the top of the draft and try to get a quarterback.
Speaker 3: In the future.
Speaker 1: It could be that's a possibility as well for a different organization. You could say your win, you're pushing all your chips into win now. Is is foolish.
Speaker 3: But they've already done it once.
Speaker 4: And once they won, they won the Super Bowl.
Speaker 1: So you know, you've got Sean McVay, you've got one of the finest coaches maybe ever. So yeah, you see your window.
Speaker 4: Go for it. Yeah, absolutely, all right.
Speaker 3: Last one to talk about is Arizona.
Speaker 1: I sort of randomly divvied out the work glowed between us. There's nothing to talk about in Arizona. There's no there's not a single meaningful change in Arizona. And I knew there wasn't a lot, But then when I started really rolling up my sleeve to go, okay, let's just go, there's nothing here. So they put one draft pick into offense, and it was a sixth rounder and it was a lineman. I was hoping they would give Marvin Harrison some more and better support this offseason.
Speaker 4: Running mate Nope.
Speaker 1: The biggest name, the most proven receiver they added in the off season, Quez Watkins.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 1: If you're wondering where Watkins ended up, I was.
Speaker 3: It's in Arizona.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Last year, the offensive line, which the offensive line got way way better.
Speaker 3: It had been so bad.
Speaker 1: For years, finally got a lot better. They had top They had a top ten PFF rankings in both pass and run blocking. And I just think, I just think that they had decided that the offensive line was good enough and they were going to focus on a bad defense, which I can understand. They have a defensive oriented coach. For the sake of really just saying something about the Cardinals, I'll mention this. For about three years now, I've been thinking the end is close for James Connor. Yeah, dude just keeps defying me with great play. He finished third best in avoided tackle rate last year. And that is a young man's stat right there. Yea, he had a twenty nine percent avoided tackle rate. That again, third best. That turns into number one if we go just among running backs with at least one hundred and sixty carries. Wow, James Connor had the highest avoided tackle rate in the NFL. He had four point six yards per carry, which isn't great, thirteenth best, but it was the second highest of his career. Yeah, so you can't. There's no statistical way to look at what James Connor did last year and say, well, the clips here, that's other than he's thirty years old.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's it. That was the third best season of his career last year.
Speaker 1: Yes, I mean the dudes playing great last year. Listeners may remember, I like Trey Benson, I liked the draft pick, and I was like, well, if anything happens to Connor. But honestly, Benson didn't do much of anything with the carries that he got last year, and Connor looked really good.
Speaker 4: So fantasy analysts notoriously are all ready to just anoint the rookie right away.
Speaker 3: We love to do that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thes are there for a reason. Unless they get rid of them, they're usually going to play them more often than that.
Speaker 1: And this is why to go back to earlier in the show, when Omarion Hampton is with the Chargers and I said, don't be surprised if Naja Harris is you know, still getting meaningful reps at the beginning of the year because these things usually don't change as fast as we want them to. We always want to see the exciting new young player. Coaches want a lot of times the running back who's going to pick up the blitz? Yeah, and the running back who's gonna catch what's thrown to him? And running back that's you know, the moment's not too big whatever, And so I fill in.
Speaker 4: The Naji Harris one. Though Harbaugh has no allegiance to that guy. It's not like he's like been there for two years and Harbaugh's like, oh yeah, he's my my savvy vet. He knows what he's doing all that. I'm sure they signed him fine, because he might have been an upgrade over Dobbins or or Gus.
Speaker 1: Will be an upgrade over what those two had left in the tank, which is sad their careers were way too short.
Speaker 4: This is a that's a two thirds one third split at the minimum in Hampton's favor.
Speaker 1: Eventually, yeah, but you know, maybe maybe not at the start.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Great job, man, Yeah, there's a ton of fun.
Speaker 3: Great to see you in person.
Speaker 1: Wait for the final the final recording in the kitchen.
Speaker 4: I mean, you could fly us out to Utah every Friday for the h you.
Speaker 1: Got money, you could just fly yourself out to Utah.
Speaker 4: I mean you know, I mean you sold all those board games you got. I sold.
Speaker 1: I sold one hundred board games. Oh my god, one hundred, I know. And that one it was like one third of the collection.
Speaker 4: You're moving it by pounds, you're paying by pound.
Speaker 1: You're like, well, only play that one once gone, only play that one twice gone.
Speaker 4: So yeah, it is the paying for the movers on stuff like that feasible or is it better to just throw it in ups and just pack one big box at UPS and send all your board games?
Speaker 3: Games are heavy.
Speaker 1: That's the problem is they're really heavy.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: I've got a couple of board games that weigh thirty pounds.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, I know.
Speaker 1: There, I mean, you know, it's like barbell stuff made of lead cardboard.
Speaker 3: Man, you know, some of these games hundreds of hours.
Speaker 4: Of play, a good corrugated kind, you know.
Speaker 3: But it's not like the old days. And that's for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, great job, thank you. We'll be back with Kent to polish off all of the rest of the teams, which is a NFC North, AFC.
Speaker 4: North, Oh next week? Yeah nice.
Speaker 1: Some would say in Minnesota, we're saving the best for last next week.
Speaker 4: You know that NFC North, uh, maybe the best division in football.
Speaker 1: Last year it was the best. It was the highest win total of any division ever.
Speaker 4: So yeah. I think ESPN had three in the top fourteen and all of them in the top sixteen or something. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So everybody thinks Chicago, this is going to be the year they get good, and they might be right finally, Ben Jonson, we'll talk about.
Speaker 3: It next week.
Speaker 4: I don't want them to be good.
Speaker 1: Vikings fan.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, but I always hated the bear since the Super Bowl shuffle?
Speaker 1: Who hated the Fridge doing the Super Bowl?
Speaker 4: I didn't hate the dance. I mean it was awesome.
Speaker 1: That Why are we hating on the Fridge. I hope the Fridge is okay. We haven't heard much from the Fridge.
Speaker 4: I don't know if he's still with us.
Speaker 1: He is still with us, I can tell you definitively the Fridge is still with us. But I don't think he's doing any any public stuff.
Speaker 4: He's he's still with us. Sixty two years old, sixty two saying is on Google. They say his weight is three hundred and thirty five pounds.
Speaker 1: Still, that's about his playing weight, so Lisa hasn't gone up from his playing days, so there's that that wouldn't be too bad.
Speaker 4: I did not know he played last in nineteen ninety six for the London Monarchs.
Speaker 3: I didn't know that either.
Speaker 1: I had not memorized the Monarchs.
Speaker 3: Um, that's really funny.
Speaker 1: I did not remember he finished his career there. Good for I hope. I hope he's doing okay. Well, you know, I hope he wisely invested his bears money and is living a good life right now.
Speaker 4: Nicknames the Fridge, the refrigerator, and Biscuit.
Speaker 3: Nobody called him biscuit. He was the fridge.
Speaker 1: Come on, nobody even said refriger rad or it's too many syllables. It's literally one of the best names in nickname in football history. Absolutely absolutely, all right, thank you, Matt, thanks for listening everybody.
Speaker 3: We'll be back next week. Bye bye.