Speaker 1: Welcome to Before Breakfast, a production of iHeartRadio. Good Morning. This is Laura, Welcome to the Before Breakfast podcast. Today's episode is going to be a longer one part of the series where I interview fascinating people about how they take their days from great to awesome and any advice they have for the rest of us. So today I am delighted to welcome Natalie Nixon to Before Breakfast. Natalie is the CEO of Figure eight Thinking and the author of the new book Move Think Rest. So Natalie, welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Laura, It's great to be here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so glad to have you. Why don't you tell our listeners a little bit about yourself.
Speaker 2: I am a creativity strategist. I made up my job title. What that means is I advise and help leaders, executive teams and organizations to connect the dots between creativity and business results. And I do that through my global keynote, speaking, through my my courses and my facilitations. And I'm from Philly. I live in Philly. I lived a lot of different places, but realize the grass is not greener and I'm off there as well.
Speaker 1: Well. I am in the greater Philly region as well. So it turns out we're actually having this conversation locally.
Speaker 2: We're very very rainy day. Where are you, Laura in.
Speaker 1: The in the suburbs up in the Cameline area? Yeah, how about how about you?
Speaker 2: I'm in the city in mount Airy.
Speaker 1: Oh, I love it. I love it. Well, we are not that far from each other. So I'm waving, waving across the river. So so, Natalie, uh, you write in this book Move Think Rest about the mt R framework. Those are being the first initials of those words which you call the motor framework. So why don't you tell us a little bit about that? What is the Motor framework?
Speaker 2: The Motor framework is a human centered operating system to help all of us to flourish in a time of ubiquitous technology. I'm precedent at burnout and new rules for work, and the motor human centered operating system is people can think of it as an on ramp to help them do as I say, toggle between wonder and rigor, which is related to my Wonder rigor theory. It's the way that we can think in a more democratized way about creativity. So the Move Think Rest operating system is a way to build creativity as a capacity, to understand that creativity is a strategic competency that will allow all of us to innovate more consistently and sustainably. And if you want, I can, I can kind of thirty thousand foot level break down what each of those components are.
Speaker 1: Well, sure, I'd love to hear, you know. I mean, maybe people understand generally what move means, but maybe not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So when I talk about movement, I'm not actually talking only about exercise. Exercises great, and it's really important. What I'm referring to is movement hygiene. We have begun in our knowledge economy to think about the brain as kind of disembodied, disembodied from the rest of the body, and we also separate brain from mind. So when I'm talking about movement, I'm talking about movement hygiene, which means that we integrate movement throughout the day. We're making sure we stand up, we take walks, and that's really important because when we move, our ideas move, and so the spinal cord, as some of us may or may not be aware, is actually an extension of the brain, so that when we are kind of slumped over at our desk for long periods of time. Actually, anytime longer than forty minutes at a time is kind of getting into a danger zone. Then we actually are constricting blood flow to the brain, which means we are restricting oxygen, which means we're not going to actually be doing our best thinking. So movement hygiene is really important. On the thought part, I'm talking about the value of forecasting and back casting. So backcasting is about the of memory and reflection. Forecasting is about the imagination curiosity. And what's significant about both backcasting and forecasting you need to slow down in order to do some really effective backcasting and forecasting. The reason why that sort of thought matters is that while we tend to focus on, you know, real sharp cognition and clear thought, you actually will not be doing your clearest thinking if you don't incorporate backcasting and forecasting and then rest. I'm not just saying I'm not what. I'm not recognizing that every office building have a nap room. I mean, if that makes sense for your company, cool, But I'm talking about intermittent rest. Intermittent rest that can be scaled. So rest in terms of micro breaks, I actually calendar in buffers on my calendar to make sure that I'll be hard hitted, and I'll sit at the deskerage way too long, and I'll make sure that I stand up, step away from the desk, take a walk, I do day dream breaks, but also scaling out to sabbatical. So I interviewed almost sixty people for this book, and I also interview people who have taken sabbatical work at nonprofit organizations, tech firms, not only you know, people work in higher education.
Speaker 1: So that's I mean, I'm sure a lot of us are listening to that, Like WHOA forty minutes is the danger zone and that's a problem because a lot of work days are definitely set up with longer periods of sitting than forty minutes. I wonder if you could talk through what a work day might look like if it incorporated this framework to optimize our creativity and our results.
Speaker 2: Well, what it would not look like is back to back zoom or team meetings. It would look like a day where you are cognizant of when if you're too the extent that you're able, where you're a cognizant of where you get your best, sharp focused thinking of. And that's different for different people. So for me, I can do really deep focused thinking work in the mornings after two o'clock, that's not the best time for me to do that, So I like to do more kind of responding to emails and those sorts of things in the afternoons. It would look like a day where if it all possible, if you're able to move Because I also interview people who live with physical disability, so I was really interested in what movement, thought, and rest looks like when you're restricted in movement, or if you live in a socioeconomic environment where it's not safe to just go for a walk perhaps or the space isn't even designed for that. So making sure that you start your morning with some sort of walk or movement. Making sure that meetings, even if they are done on zoom or in person, spark new types of thinking. So something like question storming is a really great technique to integrate into collaborative team meetings so that you're not just doing solutions oriented thinking. They're looking for the answer. We know that you can tell lot more about people by the quality of the questions if they're asking even more than their answers. So those are just a few.
Speaker 1: Examples what are your favorite kinds of breaks? I mean, are those going to be like movement breaks? Often? I guess you could get both the moving and the resting together as well, exactly.
Speaker 2: So that's a really good point. The move think rest framework is not siloed. It's not first to move, then you think, then you rest. So for example, when you stand up for a day dream break, that's affecting thought as well as rest. I love to go for short walks in the woods. The other thing I've learned in my research A lot of times people aren't going for a short walk because they think, oh, well, I don't have thirty minutes. You don't need thirty minutes. I have a three minute I have a walk that I know it takes three minutes. I have a walk that I know takes nine minutes. Sometimes I can take a fifteen minute long walk and at the end of the day, if I'm fortunate, I'll be able to take there's a walk I take the thirty minutes. You and I live in the Philadelphia area. Philadelphia is an incredible city where nature is integrated throughout the city. So here in Mount Airy, I live across the street from the woods, so I'm really fortunate that I can just kind of dip into the woods whenever I'm able. So my favorites are going for a walk doing daydream breaks. My daydream breaks last sixty to ninety seconds. That's really all it takes for me to return to work revived and refresh. And I didn't do it this morning, but I really try to stretch my body for at least ten minutes on a yoga matt every single morning before I get to work.
Speaker 1: Excellent habits for sure. Well, I'm going to take a quick ad break and then we'll be back with more from Natalie Nixon. Well, I am back talking with Natalie Nixon, who is the author of the new book Move, Think Rest. We've been talking about some of your favorite breaks, and I love the idea of a day dreaming break here, but I think a lot of people hear that, like, wait a minute, So Natalie is daydreaming for sixty to ninety seconds, what are you doing in that time?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: How do you get yourself to the point where you're I guess how does one set that up to incorporate a daydream break intentionally into your life?
Speaker 2: Well, I mentioned earlier that I actually have like I call it buffer zones. In my calendar, there are typically thirty minutes long twenty minutes song. I'm not daydream for that long. But the cool thing about daydreaming is that the more you do it, the more you long for the more, the better you acclimate to it. What's actually happening when we daydream is that our default mode network is getting activated. So the default mode network, or the regions in the brain where they're different neural synapses that get activated, the default mote network. I call it the washing machine of the brain. Because the default mote network gets activated when we tap out of the world. So for example, when we are resting or in a nice deep sleep, when we take a shower, when we're reading a nice immersive book of fiction, when we are an engaging, rollicking, laughing conversation with a friend. When we tap out of the world, it's not that our brain stops working. It's just working differently, and that's essential because that's where the synchronization of all what I call the juicy bits of productivity happen. That's why often if you stay rooted to your chair and your desk and are trying to figure out the answer to a problem, you're just stuck. It's not going to come unless, counterintuitively, you step away and you're actually letting the default mode network take place. You know, originally I thought about calling this book invisible Work, because that's really what I'm talking about. Some of our best work is happening when it can't be tracked, when it can't be monitored, because rest should not be treated as a reward. Rest should actually be integrated into the day. Movement should be integrated with about the day. The different ways of thought should be integrated throughout the day so that that synchronization of different neurosyn apsis can happen. And that's why when you come out of a nice shower, you think, oh, that's what I was trying to think of. Oh, this this new sort of of these new massive ideas kind of lock into place. There's a reason for that if I can gig out a bit. You know, when you write a book, you learn a lot. And so one of the things I learned is that there's something called the hypnagogic state, and the hypna pompic state, and the hypnaggic state. Think gogic, groggy, Right when you're about to drift off to sleep. That's actually when science times is now know the research those neurosynapses that really relate to creativity are really superactive. So, for example, Thomas Edison noticed that when he started to doze off to sleep, he had the first time it happened, he had an orb that's what the literature says, in his hand and it kind of fell fell to the ground. He woke up, and all of a sudden he was able to connect the doct between a problem. So that's so. So what you can do is plant the seat of a question of what you're wondering about before a very short nap or even a deep sleep. The hypn a pompic state is that state of waking up. So when you've had a good rest and you're just starting to wake up to the dawn and the stillness of the room, and then all of a sudden, for me at least a lot and I for a lot of other people, ideas begin to synchronize. That's the hitpen a pompic state. Again. You can see a question or query in your mind before you rest, and a lot of the time the answer does reveal itself. It's just incredible how the brain works and how we can attune our body in different habits to optimize our productivity and our creativity.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, it's fascinating stuff. I mean, where are these ideas come from? It sounds like, yeah, sitting at our desks are probably about the least creative places we're going to be. But you mentioned one of the things with I mean, sometimes thinking is done with others. Yes, and you had an interesting thing. You know, the AI is the hot topic, but you talked about using as a thinking partner.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: Are there particular ways that we could use AI to sort of help us as we're coming up with Yes, lots of ideas.
Speaker 2: Yes. So a lot of people say, you know, AI is your copilot, it's your co creator, and it is. And I have been pronouncing and a lot of my keynotes that we are actually in the middle of a human revolution. We're not in the middle of a technological revolution. We have this tech crush, this infatuation with the technology, but in reality, the technology, if we play our cards right, is there to leverage and optimize what makes us uniquely human. Because let's face it, the AI is not going anywhere. It is taking over basic tasks, It is eliminating hundreds of thousands, not millions of jobs. And what will be your strategic advantage advantage is your capacity for the imagination, the way you frame and reframe questions, the way you think critically, the way you were able to take that quick result that you get from a prompt and chat GPTEE and acknowledge that now you have spaciousness, right, you have spaciousness to think more critically, to collaborate more, to have eyeball to eyeball conversations. So, for example, I love the otter app because it's actually helped me and it's given me a freedom in the way that I write. I'm very oral and oral, and so I will in advance just write up like five question prompts around a chapter or a section I'm working on, and I'll just take a walk. I actually did this during a writing sabbatical that I gifted myself last year writing move Think Rest. I did it in Miami. A friend gifted me her Miami beachside condo at a really nice rate, and I would just take a walk along the beach and do a brain dump verbally of my thoughts and my ideas into the otter app, which you know is a wonderful transcription app and then I got back to the room and I would sort and stept and make sense of those ideas. But it gave me the freedom to just do free association and just talk. And what it removed was what I call her negative Nancy, who often sits on my shoulder and criticizes, Oh, that's not important, No one's going to read that. Who cares about that? That's stupid, you know, So that went away. So otters are really great app way. I like to use Quaud and chat GPT are two. One of my favorite questions is to ask is to put in something that I have drafted and ask what am I missing? What have I not thought about? Oftentimes it will it will remind me to think about things differently from a geographical perspective, from a historical perspective, from a cultural perspective. I miss what does this mean? In healthcare? So it helps me also to see the holes and the gaps. And that's what we get when we have real in person collaboration with people who have different training than we do, different levels of seniority or junior You just think, look at the same issue, but see it slightly differently. And that's essential for innovation.
Speaker 1: Wow, Well, we're all going to have a great brain trust that we can bounce things off.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: In the future, it's going to be amazing. Well, we're going to take one more quick ad break and then I will be back with more from Natalie Nixon. Well, I am back talking with Natalie Nixon. She is the CEO of Figure eight Thinking. She is also the author of the brand new book Move Think Rest. So, Natalie, this show is called Before Breakfast. So we have a lot of people who are really into morning routines. I wonder if you happen to have any sort of morning routine. I know you said you do your best thinking in the morning, so maybe can tell us a little bit about what your mornings look like.
Speaker 2: So I try to start buffer my day in the mornings with c pushing it with silence and more stillness. I pray, I do a shirt meditation. I typically do my meditations while I'm stretching our reference. I'd like to stretch. I have them in our home. I has something I call the She's Sweet and it has like a Netflix TV zone. It has a stretching zone, has a reading fiction zone. So in that stretching zone, I burn incense, I light a candle I put on I have a whole playlist called Mellow Chill, and I play that sort of music. I tend to be a kinesthetic meditator. I'd never thought I was good at meditation until I learned that through the research for Move Big Rest. But there's something called kinesthetic meditation. So I'm a swimmer and I and so as when you some lapse, for example, you get into this kind of meditative state of just repetition and you get out of your head into your body. Similarly, stretching helps me to do that, where I just start to focus on my breathing. I get more tuned to my balance and where I'm at in my body. So that's a big part of how I try to start most mornings. They'll always succeed, but it always makes me feel incredibly better. But definitely a prayer meditation stretch. I also have started tricking my brain into calling water brain juice. I had a facial like a month ago, and I have naturally oil a skin and the woman who did the face and say, oh, your skin's dry, it's absorbing whatever this stuff was. She's put on my face quick and I thought I think I need to be drinking more water, so I have a whole picture of water. I make sure that I start to drink that because when you think about if you get a good seven or eight hours of sleep, you haven't been hydrating at all. So that's one of the first things up in your body. It helps with the organ tissue. Your brain is a really important organ that needs a lot of water for lectrolytes and that sort of thing. And then I get into the work. I typically have mapped out what I want to get achieve even get done between nine and twelve. The other thing I've started doing and I interviewed the co founder for moveth think Rest. I interviewed the copter flown from moveth think Rests are wonderful kind of quirky company called I was really really suspicious about it or skeptical about it when I first learned of it. But I've also started using it as a room to enter when I need to do deep thinking work. Flown as UK base. It is basically a synchronous synchronicity. You drop into a room that looks like a zoom room, and it feel a little weird at first because everyone is just like thinking. Everyone we all have like the same expressions when we think and they're working, no one talks. You can put into the chat era your intention like I want to send five emails or I need to write a rough draft outline or whatever or finish shape or proposal, and people will be thumbs up in your intention. You can have a set a time limit. So it's really like just as the principles a moth think rest, it's really adheres to unique breaks throughout the day. When you do a break with floone, you can opt into a screen looking at nature, or you can do a puzzle. So play is a big part. So Flown has been a really cool work accessory and I highly recommend it to your listeners, especially given the topic of your podcast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, it's just it provides accountability and you mirror other people who are working, and it hopefully brings out the best in you as well.
Speaker 2: It feels like you're walking into a hushed library. Yeah, this is where we're going to work. We're all serious now, yes, yes, so not Onalie. I asked all my guests a question.
Speaker 1: It's kind of the tagline of the show, but what is something you have done recently to take a day from great to awesome.
Speaker 2: Mmm. Something I've done recently to take a day from great to awesome. Well, I've started keeping a wins journal. I learned that from a great book called I think it's from their book called The Gap in the Game, which is by Benjamin Hardy and Forgetting the co author. But it helps me to identify even in days that I think are just myth or ordinary small wins that I've had. Right, I sent out five emails, I received an inquiry for a new proposal. I drank an entire picture of water. However, you want to define the scrip of your winds. And that really has helped me take a day. I forget if you say good to awesome or great to awesome, but that really helps him because it elevates my perception of my work. It helps me account accountable to being as a former boss of mine in the garment in the fashion streets to say, keep your eye with the donut, not the hole. Don't focus on what it should it could have been, but what is. So when I do that, winsdow and I keep it in the drawer in my desk. I used to do it at the end of the day, but I've started just documenting it throughout the day. If I'm traveling, I have I keep a winds file in my notes app that helps me to make a day go from good to great to awesome.
Speaker 1: I love it. I love it. That is wonderful. What are you looking forward to right now?
Speaker 2: I'm looking forward to going to London next week. I leave for London on Saturday. I have been I was nominated as part of the Thinkers fifty twenty twenty four cohort and I've been nominated for their Talent Award for this year. So gonna go to their gala and meet some really interesting thought leaders from around the world. I'm gonna be on a Deloitte podcast and I'm collaborating with a colleague and pal of minding, James Hewitt, who is Real Vivia, an incredible guest for your podcast. I'll connect the two of you. He's a performance scientist and we're doing a conversation next Wednesday after the Thinkers fifty events at Tavas, which is a global consultancy. We'll be interviewed by the chief Medical Officer about future work ideas and the title of our of our conversation is the future works open for end when humans thrive. So we both have a vested interest in amplifying, leveraging what makes us uniquely human and a time of so much change in technology.
Speaker 1: Wonderful. That sounds very exciting and London is lovely, so yes, great, it's.
Speaker 2: Gonna be great. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So Natalie, where can people find you?
Speaker 2: Just go to Figure eight Thinking dot com. That's the number eight, Figure eight, like this ice gatting figure athinking dot com and definitely sign up for the newsletter because that's where you'll be able to tune into all the great tips and techniques site. I have beware of the blogs and my fast company articles and we just started a sixty six day motor challenge. Not too late to join, but just go to Figure a Thinking dot com and the first step is to sign up.
Speaker 1: For the newsletter wonderful. Please go do that and check out the book Move Think rest as well. So Natalie, thanks, thank you so much for joining us. Thank you to everyone for listening. If you have feedback about this or any other episode, you can always reach me at Laura at Laura vandercam dot com. In the meantime, this is Laura, Thanks for listening and here's to making the most.
Speaker 2: Of our time.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to Before Breakfast. If you've got questions, ideas, or feedback, you can reach me at Laura at Laura vandercam dot com. Before Breakfast is a production of iHeartMedia. For more podcasts from iHeartMedia, please visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.