Speaker 1: Oh, Sunday a Friday.
Speaker 2: Great, It's been awesome. It's been like, you know, a couple of years of not really Sunday because I've been coming. Even the pandemic shut down Sundance for the most part. So like last year it was very mellow and relaxing and like nobody was here. But this year it's back to full speed regular Sundance movies already like selling for seventeen million dollars and it's like, oh cool, that's a festival, but no, super fun.
Speaker 3: Do you just go to movies every day?
Speaker 2: No, you know, like I've been trying to see a lot more movies this time, but it's it's so hard, like you just end up running into people and there's parties and there's events and there's gathering, so like, I mean there's depth. There have definitely been Sundances where I've come and only seen like two movies. Let's see this time, I've seen four, which you know is not great, like I would love to see more, but Sundances one Like there are festivals that I go to where I just sit and watch movies, like that's all I'm there for. But Sundance is such like we have the same group of friends that come every year, and I mean it's a huge group of friends. It's coming of always rotating. So it's like some people I see every year, some people haven't seen for six years, and then they come back, and so it's like it ends up being much more of a social thing than and you know, it's a networking social thing. And then it is a movie thing. But of course then we're like constantly talking about what people have seen. So like everyone, like last night I came home and like four other people in the house had seen the same movie I had, and other people had seen it before and hated it. We're all debating and arguing and screaming at each other and talking about what we think is gonna be like. And then next year we'll get together we'll be like I told you see how you know, it's so fun.
Speaker 3: It's like I was gonna say, you're in Heaven's right now.
Speaker 2: It's just face to geek out about film, you know, and like and argue and and like yeah yeah, And then we play charades, like we host a charades party every year. I mean it started as just a pasta party that our friends who have the house do.
Speaker 1: What's a pasta party.
Speaker 2: Well, they just mean they'd make like a whole, like a whole bunch of pasta and invite a bunch of people that that's fun, dance over to our house for pasta. And then when Alex and I got a lot.
Speaker 1: More questions about pasta party, I do other people do pasta parties? You're acting as though pasta party is like a common thing.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I didn't start this party, so our friend I guess maybe that's a common thing, or maybe it's not.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's weird one type of pasta.
Speaker 2: Or Okay, well here's here's the I like to point.
Speaker 4: Danielle has not perked up at all during the conversation about film. You mentioned pasta once, and she's awake, instantly awake.
Speaker 2: How you meet a pasta? Okay, well let me tell you.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 2: When we first heard about this pasta party, we were like, this is great because you know, we had come to Sundance, we had friends who were coming and whatever. This is like eight years ago, nine years ago. And so our friend's our friend Ashley, who like is the main host of this house and this group of friends. She was like, oh, we have our pasta party. We were like great and we went and like the pasta was like canned pasta, like you know, you take the sauce and you opened up. So the next year Alex was like, no, no, no, I'm doing my four or five hour sauce. We're gonna like if we're hosting, because then we became like co host because then it was like our house and we became so Alex was like, I'm taking the but no, the problem is we have like over one hundred people show up at this party, like throughout the night. It's like like this year we had like one hundred and sixty RSVPs or whatever, and so like, no one like the pasta is like carbo load, you know what I mean. It's like it's not about like the quest. So Alex spent one year trying to like make her sauce and then realize like, oh, there's just too many people to care, and nobody cares. They're here for like pasta. The garlic bread is a bigger hit than the pasta. And then what happened is Alex and I started doing running charades games during the pasta party, and now that's like why people come to our house, Like the word has gotten out, so like we've become a thing and it's the greatest. I mean we went until three in the morning playing running trades.
Speaker 4: Still three in the nine are people taking uber and lyft home after this much pasta?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, okay, good because you don't want to.
Speaker 2: I mean, come on, you can't drive when you're No one drives at Sunday. So everyone's either walking or uber lifting or they have like shuttles.
Speaker 1: It's a whole I still really like this idea of pasta party. I would I think I would just encourage people to bring There are all different types of post yeah for sure, Like we've got spaghetti covered, we could use a ravioli, we need a penny.
Speaker 2: Well that's what I did. That's why I've done that, like a real pasta party for like my like I had my birthday. This is like my thirty ninth birthday. We rented a cabin and you know, like I used to do all the time for my birthdays and have a big group of friends and this was the legendary one. We made our own pasta, so we spent we woke up in the morning, we all made pasta. We made different noodles and then Alex made two different sauces. She did like a mushroom cream sauce and then like a red sauce. Took all day, so then by the you know, the pasta's been drying out all day and then cook it. And that was probably the greatest my life, Like it was so much fun because it was like by the end of when you actually sit down to eat, you've all worked all day together to make fasta, including the kids. Like it is so much and we've after that, we did that like maybe one other time, and you know, it's a lot of work, but it's so worth it. Like that is Yes, that's like a.
Speaker 3: Real Daniel's party. You just you just found Daniels. Oh my god, it's a hosta luck party.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's yeah, Okay, we know when we know how to get Daniel out of the house now, multiple types of pasta.
Speaker 3: And fred sticks.
Speaker 1: I'm not hard to please.
Speaker 2: I just invite her to an olive garden the same level of excitement.
Speaker 3: That's true, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Ye, Well, when you're here, your family, welcome to Podlets World. I'm Danielle Fischel.
Speaker 2: I'm right or strong, and I'm Wilfridlleh.
Speaker 1: So today we are recapping season four, episode six, Janitor Dad. It originally aired October twenty fifth, nineteen ninety six. The synopsis Sean's father is the new janitor of John Adams High, causing Sean significant embarrassing and attention from some new bullies. Also, a large mountain man starts working at the Wilderness store. That's yeah.
Speaker 2: Also, large mountain man with the staff.
Speaker 4: Named Iszekiel Ezekiel starts large bearded mountain man wait to talk about Mickey?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 1: It was directed by Jeff McCracken. It was written by Jeff Manel and Guys buckle up for this list of guest stars, so many Finny guest stars. Anthony Tyler Quinn slowly creeping up to his motorcycle accident as Jonathan Turner again only seen in this episode for a few seconds. We have Blake Clark returning as Chet Hunter, Sharen Mitchell returns as Verna Hunter, and then Jennifer Campbell as Lannie. She is a former Miss Hawaiian Tropics International, best known as Tia the Calvin Klein Model on three episodes of Seinfeld and has three different characters on six episodes of Baywatch.
Speaker 2: So hold on, you said Miss Hawaiian International.
Speaker 1: It's It's the Hawaiians a beauty title. Yes, like the Hawaiian Tropics. I think is Sun's green brand. Okay, And they do like a swimsuit competition. It's all swimsuit And is this still a thing Hawaiian Tropics.
Speaker 3: I don't know, I think so, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I only watched it for the articles, but yes, I think that was a big thing in like the eighties and the nineties.
Speaker 3: Yes, so I don't know.
Speaker 5: Then we have Mickey Jones as mountain Man Ezekiel best knows awesome, Yeah, best known when it comes to acting for Total Recall, National Lampoon's Vacation and sling Blade among.
Speaker 2: And then he was in another episode of Boy he was. Yeah, that's why I didn't talk to him this episode. He comes in the episode when I go to a truck stop, Oh, the Nobody's Angel episode, the Girls Singing, He's in that truck stop and I spent that entire time hanging out with him. I didn't hang out with him this because I didn't work with him this week, but that later week I spent all my time, like geeking out with him because he's like a very really famous musician. He is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he was in We'll talking about yea Tin copy Legend, his banned Yeah, there was a great, huge Hollywood legend in a way.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's an accomplished drummer playing with Kenny Rogers. And then Bob Dylan on his nineteen sixty six controversial and now beloved electric tour.
Speaker 2: That's the one we talked about. We spent the whole time talking Dylan. It was amazing. He has so many stories because he's completely sober. So he was like, he's like the guy who remembers everything from that era.
Speaker 1: Is also the drummer on the song Secret Agent Man. He sadly passed away in twenty eighteen at the age of seventy seven. No, that either, sorry to give.
Speaker 3: It was a nice the nicest human being. Yeah, such a nice man.
Speaker 1: And then we have Kevin West as Wally. He's a character actor from movies like Gone in sixty Seconds. In Junior, we have Andrew Bilbore as Edgar. He has credits like Friends Becker and Dexter, so he worked with our friend Alex Decero over on Becker and then Willie Garson comes back to Boy Meets World, this time as Mervin, one of the many characters he would play in Boy Meets World slash Girl Meets World. A reminder that he and Michael Jacobs were very good friends, so any chance they had to bring him back, they did.
Speaker 2: Anytime they need a nerd.
Speaker 3: Yep, and I forgot he was in this one. Totally forgot he was.
Speaker 2: In this episode. I knew he was in a bunch of you know, but yeah, Lenny Spinelley to this, and then he marries Scored yep.
Speaker 1: Yeah, crazy, and then Sean Babb as Doug and Marcus Toji as kid number one. He is still working mostly in voiceovers for video games. Uh okay, So before we jump into the recap, do you guys have some overall thoughts.
Speaker 3: I don't want to start. It wasn't dad.
Speaker 1: I didn't love it.
Speaker 3: I didn't love it either. I didn't love it either.
Speaker 4: I thought the BE story was stronger than the A story because it was just random. But I thought at times the A story got so caricature and so cartoony. I liked the school stuff more than the trailer park stuff.
Speaker 2: But Ezekiel is not cartoony, but it's supposed to be.
Speaker 3: That's what I meant.
Speaker 2: I I just know it's all super It's so big everything, very big, Yes, very huge.
Speaker 1: Yes, there was a very very obvious note to Scherene Mitchell to like totally have a change of character.
Speaker 4: And go huge with everything, and and yeah it's I I don't I don't disagree. And I think it's doubly jarring because the trailer park has now become the Matthews living room. So there's that kind of fish out of water feeling a little bit where you're kind of, oh, this is this is now the family dynamic, which can be a bit jarring, and then when it gets that big, that fast, it's doubly.
Speaker 3: Jarring, and you're seeing Corey come in and it's.
Speaker 2: Like a it's like a pilot for the Shawn Hunter exactly exactly. That's like an awkward pilot that hasn't gotten its feet wet and like he still hasn't like found It's yeah, it's it's a little hard it.
Speaker 4: This was also so Roseanne was really big at this time. This is a big time for the blue collar sitcoms, so they might have been trying to kind of give it a whole blue collar spin, and it seemed odd. I think you're right, it did seem like a pilot for the Shawn Hunters show.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think Blake is great in the episode. Yeah, he's always great. Yeah, but I think he manages to be a sort of over the top character subtly, like he has a way of just I mean, I guess part of it is that Chet is performative, so like, even when Chet's saying ridiculous things, there's this level of irony to it, like I'm just doing my thing. I'm a guy. He talks like that, whereas everybody else it's like it just feels big and cartoony to a degree that really loses the character. Yeah, and then just it just kind of the nose, like every beat felt very out. Yes, let me drive this home.
Speaker 4: And the thing that was so interesting, and unfortunately they were in different scenes at the time about Blake and Verna together, was that she was the anchor to his craziness, right, and so when they're both kind of that big, it washed out a bit for me.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: While jumping into our recap, we start in the wilderness outpost. Eric and Allan are helplessly staring at something in the store when Eric whispers, Dad, you gotta kick mom out or we're going to go bust by tuesday, and we cut to Amy, who's telling a customer to put down the rock climbing shoes. He's planning to buy a skinny man like you should not be rock climbing. Alan laments, we ain't gonna make it to Tuesday. Amy sees the prospective shoe buyer out, suggesting a nearby yogurt store, and as he leaves, she yells gets strawberry. Alan tells Amy that the customers have their own mothers who can nag them about their rock climbing interests. Amy reminds him he's the one who asked for help because the store was so busy. Alan responds that she's been a protective mother figure for so long it's kind of getting in the way of what they used to call sales. Amy brushes him off. Then she sees a man testing out a fishing spear. She yells, kill fish. You're gonna kill fish. He puts down the weapon, defeated. Then we're outside of the wilderness outposts. There's a help wanted signposter that now.
Speaker 2: Is when I was already like, I don't know, I know the same because I was like, is this really this is the first has Amy ever been this way? No, like, has she ever been a nagging over the whole point of Amy is that she's chill, cool and like kind of cool and like accepting of like people being different. And I don't know, this was just like, clearly for the story point, Yeah, let's make her a nagging mom character that she's never been. And it was like, let's just go for the I don't.
Speaker 1: Know, especially because just a few episodes ago she was the big savior who got them the wilderness snore and now she's the obnoxious nagging woman who's ruining their business.
Speaker 2: Exactly and bringing the boys down with her nagging.
Speaker 4: Because the men want to do dangerous things, but of course the woman is going to say you shouldn't be doing.
Speaker 1: You're too skinny for that, and then the sign says no mothers. And I hope this episode gets better for women.
Speaker 6: Does not.
Speaker 1: At the trailer part, yes, but then, guys, it does get better for women when a super skinny, very hot crop top woman shows up later who can act like a boy, right, who could act like.
Speaker 2: A boy could be one of the boys.
Speaker 4: She's too distracted if she's a girl. That's literally said that it's too distracting for her to be a girl.
Speaker 1: Everyone knows the best girls.
Speaker 2: Best girls are boys. Boys with boobs are the best.
Speaker 1: Turn this out posts. During the interviews, there's a group of middle aged men. Thank god, there's no women waiting to be interviewed by Eric. The first candidate rattles off.
Speaker 2: Guys, every one of them in glasses, every one of them like just.
Speaker 3: Another I say it's because it's Philadelphia.
Speaker 4: We won't find anybody who knows outside because we're in Philadelphia.
Speaker 1: Like, what does that mean? What does that mean? None of it makes sense.
Speaker 3: Why would our writers.
Speaker 2: Were really in touch with Pennsylvania. I don't know if you know this. Our Beverly and those living writers were really they understand trailer parks. And there's two things our writers know. It's trailer park blue collar lifestyle and Pennsylvania.
Speaker 3: Wait, I'd like to throw a fourth and women and strength.
Speaker 2: This this episode brings up the strengths in our writing staff. O god, I mean like having two parents from Pennsylvania. The amount of outdoor like it's all hunting it's all outdoor people. It is like the most it's like the most wilderness friendly place in all America.
Speaker 3: Yes, oh yes, that's what you do in Pennsylvania. You hunt, you fish, you can't there's mine.
Speaker 2: People like.
Speaker 3: Yes, oh my god.
Speaker 1: So the first candidate rattles off all the things he's sold during his time in retail and scoffs at the required technical knowledge. He then points to a kayak and asks, is this.
Speaker 2: He played a teacher in a previous episode? Yes, this guy who's an amazing character actor, He's been in everything he's been in this. I just I know his face and I see him. So remember we talked.
Speaker 3: About we talked about the fact that the teachers are real.
Speaker 1: Guy framer teacher who like around the corner, We're like, what do you know?
Speaker 3: A boy?
Speaker 1: And was like, what the whoa?
Speaker 2: So I wonder So these are all people who have like already been on episodes of Boy before. It's like, give me the nerds, those nerd guys we like, and they just cast them.
Speaker 3: Yes, twelve nerds in a mountain. Man go.
Speaker 1: So he asks is this for like water? And then ready to move on, Alan nods towards the other candidates, and one of them, played by the Great Willie Garson, is touching the spiky rock climbing shoe over and over each time saying ow, but never stopping.
Speaker 6: Somebody stopping.
Speaker 3: Somebody stop, somebody stopping.
Speaker 1: Why couldn't he have just still been Lenny Spinelli looking for a new job.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because all it would have taken was Alan being like, Lenny, get out of here, and we would have laughed, and it would have been a great joke because it's like, Lenny, you're not right for this job. Yeah, Poor Lenny, Poor Lenny can't get hired by his old boss.
Speaker 4: Yeah, changing change his name from yeah. Actual Lenny has a great job somewhere else. He actually runs the store.
Speaker 2: Now, he runs the stuff, the stuff.
Speaker 1: The stuff. You're right back at the wilderness outpost now. After the interviews, Eric says they're never going to find someone to fill this position in Philadelphia. Alan agrees they need a grizzly Adams mountain man who lives the outdoor life, knows this equipment, who needs a job and just to wander in here, tee it up, tee it up and give it to me, wouldn't you know it? At this exact moment, an extremely tall man with a long beard, long hair, walking stick, red suspenders in a fringe jacket waltz is into the store. He says, I just happened to wander in here looking for the yogurt chop because I heard they was hiring scoopers. Although I know a lot less about yogurt than I do about wilderness equipment. I am in powerful need of employment. He is powerful, so funny, so good.
Speaker 3: He's so good. That's the thing.
Speaker 1: Eric and Alan stare at each other. Eric breaks the silence. Yeah, it's four doors down on the left. You can't miss it. The man starts to leave when Alan yells, wait a minute. Great, great delivery.
Speaker 3: And joke and all.
Speaker 4: And if the A story had been far more rooted in reality, this would have been fine. It would have been great because it would have been ridiculousness on top of drama.
Speaker 2: And actually, then all we're really talking about is the next scene, the first scene in the trip. Yes, yes, because because the rest the episode is pretty grounded. And I would say that like when Veer and Chet like kiss and near the end like that is actually it's that next scene where it suddenly becomes the like racky Hunters.
Speaker 4: That's just it's just to him in school is fine. When when Check gets to school, that's a great dynamic.
Speaker 2: And Sean was pretty great too, So it's grounded. So yeah, it really is.
Speaker 3: Just the first wrong.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just and it's the writing. And she just shouldn't have been written as like, let's you didn't need the jokes. It could have just been you need a job or you know, some version, some slightly less over the top version. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they really wanted to set up the this for this scene that there is now a tornado inside the house and Corey wanders into a tornado, and unfortunately for the women, the only way they knew how to make that happen was for her to be the sole source of the tornado conflict, and therefore she needed to be high tension. And it's just we have a commercial. Some surfer rock acid into the Hunter's trailer. Sean's leaving for school when his mom stops him he can't leave until he has a healthy breakfast. She whips out a sticky bun and a Flintstone's vitamin and Sean exclaims, oh dino. She says she'll just pop the sticky bun in the microwave, and Chet nervously yells no time for that. Verna asks what's in the microwave, and he responds, you can continue to ask me suspicious questions, or you can join in and embark on a new relationship, one based on trust and love and not going in that microwave. Verna immediately opens the microwave and pulls out a stack of papers. Their bals, their meal.
Speaker 2: He pull out their bills. You must not be from Philadelphia.
Speaker 3: Wow, you're not from New York are?
Speaker 1: They're from their meals, Their meals in the microwave, from the old relationship. Chet explains, they have set sail on the new relationship and nothing's gonna set that ship off course. Corey walks in and mentions how nice it is to see the two of them back together. Verna tells Corey he's sweet, then screams at Chet to find some way to pay the bills. Corey offers to wait outside where there's a little less tension, but when he opens the trailer door, a nearby neighbor yells, you spineless, deadbeat hiding the bills in the cat box. I'll kill you. Sean explains, to Corey.
Speaker 2: It's this, this is when we've ventured cud C. Yeah, but it's you know, and you can do it if I just think, you know, if it's funny enough, you can earn it. But this is just isn't funny enough, and it's.
Speaker 3: Like, okay, there is also something I went back.
Speaker 4: The thing that went to my head was season one of Boy when I was watching this, and there was something so grounded in reality about Sean's economic status right where it was like, you know, you just mentioned that Sean isn't probably going to get a Christmas gift or we don't. I mean, it was very real, and that's what I think people connected to was the dispared disparity between Sean and Corey and they're making it now just this big cartoony I'm poor and it's like.
Speaker 2: You know, I actually think when we because we did make the jokes like the Uncle Joe, my uncle who does right and Verna, like we made jokes about but it was always off camera, right, and so I think like it could be cartooning over the top of it was in your imagination. When you try and bring it into reality, it becomes you have to Yeah, I mean because I felt the same way about when we went when we did the the documentary episode, we went to you know, and they had to just keep making the jokes about you know, Shawn's family being criminals not wanting to be on camera, because again it's like, yeah, it just doesn't. I don't know. I think I think Sean's like, I think Sean's status is just better off camera or or you know, or played for reality.
Speaker 1: Well, when you played for jokes, you're right. When played for over the top jokes, it's better to not see it. When you see it, it feels it's not as good. So Chet then simps to Verna sugar pie, honey bunch. He refers to the bills as minor financial fracas, then tells the boys that's their new vocabulary word of the day, fracus. He's again so good, so funny, and it's exactly what you said writer, that part of who he is as a person is a performative guy exactly. So you're allowed to be look at me putting on a show because he's look at me put on I'm putting on a show.
Speaker 4: Guy.
Speaker 2: Oh it's really Verna. If if Verna's character, if you had written this scene with Verna being like no, no, seriously, chet, I need you to get a job. Like it would have raised the stakes and made made them like real, like I can't you know, I'm working at this movie theater. I can't do this. You have to like pull your weight and like just play it and like she's not a joke and he's trying to get around it and then ask you like I can't I gotta do that. It could have been great. It could have been just a very straightforward and still funny because he could still be trying to scheme and it's just not working.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and she's already proved in the last episode she's a phenomenal actor totally, so she can handle the weight, you know, make make it.
Speaker 2: But they hired her for the last episode scenes and then put her in a like wacky sitcom scene. Yes, and it's like that's not that's not the right tone. It's just great.
Speaker 1: I also think it would have made it actually more scary for Sean, especially like Mom's gonna leave again exactly she has been calm, if she but the fact that she's like ah, but if she had said, like if she was like you know what, I'm not surprised. If it's the I'm not angry, I'm disappointed exactly. Oh my god, there's a real like, oh gosh, Dad, this is every this was what everything was, This is why she left in the first place. This is she's gonna do it again. I'm gonna come home today and she won't be here.
Speaker 2: And so if Sean saying, Dad, you got to get a job with real urgency, and then of course that would only make him be in the janitor because then Sean.
Speaker 4: That that much work, and then the turn at the end from her starting to from that position to then literally putting her arms around Chad and kissing him would be huge.
Speaker 1: Yeah, huge.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Verna grabs Chet by the ear and reminds him that she's been tearing tickets at the movie theater every afternoon so they wouldn't have to hide bills in the microwave. She shakes him back and forth, comically, yelling I I want to be normal. Chet Chet responds, well, if we're not pleased with our little job but the theater, we should find one with a little more job fulfillment. Verna looks at him with fire in her eyes, and she says, we you said we work.
Speaker 2: I thought that's what they were gonna do.
Speaker 1: He too. I was like, that's where Sean gets it.
Speaker 3: I thought that's where it was going.
Speaker 1: She says, I work like a pig. This is quite a different personality than the last time we saw Verna. So Chet says that she storms away. Maybe you want to ask for a raise because we got a microwave full of bills, honey. She checks her apron at him and he ducks right on time. Corey opens the door because it's got to be better out there. But that same woman we heard earlier is yelling familiar complaints. I want to be normal, spud. Corey slams the door. I'm stuck. And I love Corey in this situation where this is so different from his normal life and he is so anxious about it, Like, oh gosh, what do we do with Vernet.
Speaker 4: This episode, though, also continues to debunk a theory that we had, which is one of the theories that we had was one of the reasons they were getting rid of Tony is because the Tony Sean dynamic was taking away from Corey. I know, it's still he's still not there, and it's still not Corey, right, So it's it obviously, wasn't that. You know, We've had a couple episodes now where it's still Sean or Eric or somebody other than Corey that's driving the story forward.
Speaker 1: Yeah, really interesting.
Speaker 2: I mean, Blake is just so good. I think he's so such a fun character that I think they were just like the writers were just, oh, we gotta, we gotta do more for this guy, which meant can have Turner two. You know, it's like Sean can only you know, you can only have so many relationships. And I think once the once they realized like that they could keep writing for Blake and he would keep delivering, and they just went that direction, and poor Tony got.
Speaker 3: And how did Blake not end up with the Blake Clark show?
Speaker 4: Based just on this, especially in the nineties in sitcom with the blue Collar Comedy Tour being so big, with all the blue collar shows being so big.
Speaker 3: How was there not a Blake Clark show? That just doesn't make any sense to me?
Speaker 1: I know. Well, with Verna in the nearby bedroom, Sean reminds his dad that she came back because she believed things would be different. There has to be change. Chet asks if Sean's referring to him getting a nine to five job, and Sean nods that would be different. Chet says maybe he needs to quit his ways of dreaming and scheme in to settle down and focus on reality. Of course, he'll have to move to Portugal because it's the pearl diving capital of the world. And Chet proudly says, you know I can hold my breath underwater for over four minutes. Corey jokes, well, that should help when she throws you off the bridge. Sean says Chet needs a normal job. Verna emphasized she wants to be normal. Chet looks at Corey. I suppose you want me to get a job too. Corey, sheepishly answers, whatever would calm everyone down is fine with me. Again. I love Coy, so Cory, I want to give him a big hug. He's like, please save me. And then we are in John Adams High, Corey, Shawan, and Tapanga are all together, just casually posing near a trash can like it's a teen beat centerfold, with Corey telling Sean his plan isn't gonna work. To Panga butts in, I think you are so mature, Corey responds, that's what it's like to be a guy. Honey.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 1: Three young little Minkus lookalikes walk up and say that wasn't Homer Simpson. Sean says, sorry, kid, I could have sworn it was him. The three kids start to drink from their milk cartons and it all spills down their clothes. Sean boasts, they said it couldn't be done to Panga sarcastically, praise is very good anytime you can humiliate people, And I'm saying it with emphosis because I apparently could not say it as a teen. Did you guys notice that.
Speaker 3: No, but you couldn't say humiliate.
Speaker 1: I run right over it, or I say humiliate it's something I mean humiliate and I don't say it's like. I don't know if I apparently couldn't say it and this was the best take they got, or if for whatever reason, they chose the take where this was the only time I said it. But it's so I listened to it like five times. What am I saying? But anyway, she says, anytime you can humiliate people who are weaker and defenseless, you should certainly go for it. Also, did you guys notice that I'm actively lowering my voice.
Speaker 3: No, oh, are you did you speaking of? Did you notice stuff?
Speaker 4: Did you notice what was in the background the sign episode down?
Speaker 2: Is that what it says?
Speaker 1: That just one in the classroom that says boom.
Speaker 2: Down right, there's a yellow sign this is like Halloween bash or whatever. And then there's a black sign that I was like, what does it say? And it looks like a ghosty.
Speaker 1: Sort of down dance.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but then the John Adams High statue.
Speaker 1: Has a pig face, has the creepiest pig face.
Speaker 3: That's just the time. It's really weird. Yeah, I mean I love that.
Speaker 1: This is like, hey, surprise, it's the Halloween episode.
Speaker 4: You can tell by the skeleton on the wall that this is apparently the Halloween episode exactly.
Speaker 3: By the way, if.
Speaker 4: Those kids, which I bet you they were, those three little kids were eleven, they were the ages that you guys were, and they looked t they were so.
Speaker 1: Tiny, so cute and small. Corey points out how much of a mess that prank caused, and Shawn agrees, Now the school janitor will have something to do. Thus we have insured his job for another day. Right then the janitor walks out of his closet, and it's jet. Sean and Corey are both shocked. Chet proudly introduces himself chet Hunter Educational custodial services, normal job for normal people, and then sad music plays in the background and we realize the title of this episode is quite the spoiler. Janitor Dad.
Speaker 4: Also, I don't think he's coming out of his closet, it says bathroom.
Speaker 1: Oh, I thought he was coming out of the janitor closet.
Speaker 3: You're right.
Speaker 1: It's you're right well, and then Phoene does head that way, but we're on different floors of the tower, so it's his office on that gotcha. Then we have a commercial break and we're back at the Wilderness out post. Eric and Allen are once against in amazement. Eric comments, remember, mom, he better, and that's very clear Michael.
Speaker 4: Michael Jacobs and you Jane Katie.
Speaker 3: Yeh such a Michael Jacobs's line.
Speaker 1: Yep, he better. The camera cuts to the mountain man Ezekiel, who is selling a plethora of rock climbing gear to the skinny yogurt man who amy shoot away in the episode, and the customer admits he's not sure about rock climbing. I prefer an elevator. Ezekiel assures him, this isn't about rock climbing, this is about your evolution as a human being. He asks what the man's name is, Edgar? Do you want to be an.
Speaker 2: Edgirl all your life?
Speaker 1: Edgar asks? Can you get me out of it? Alan tells Eric he's going to kill that little man. Eric responds, the guy came in because he wanted some booboo cream. Ezekiel sold him seven hundred dollars worth of equipment, and Alan explains, well, if all our customers are dead from falling off of mountains, at some point, business falls off too, and then we're back at John Adams High. Sean cannot get over this. Why does he have to be a janitor here?
Speaker 6: To?
Speaker 2: This is a really so?
Speaker 1: Yeah? This is the three line?
Speaker 3: Is that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So you guys know like the Dan Harmon character wheel. Do you know about this?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: No, no, okay, Well this is like the classic sitcom or comedy writing structure. And Dan Harmon lays it out really well, Dan Harmon to create a community and everything freaking morty and he it's like it's become like the standard. He basically identified what is the television the arc of every character in every television show has eight points, and he draws it as a circle. And it's basically like his adaptation of the Hero's Journey, you guys know, the Holy Hero, Like you leave home and so you have like the old school hero's journey, which describes how every story supposedly according to Joseph Campbell and a bunch of other theorists back anyway, so he adapted it so it's basically like a oh there it is. So you start with, you establish a protagonist, he needs something that isn't right, you go across the threshold. Anyway, it's eight points. But anyway, like the big thing is like they get what they want and then they pay a price for it, right, Like that's all always the moment in every Sick Car. And I just love that Eric and Alan get what they want, which is the great you know, the guy who's the Ezekiel, and then there has to be a problem with it, right, That's how story works. It's like and the problem is people are gonna die. Like it's like such a stretch. I was like, wait a minute, I don't understand. Like they're making so much money, right, and all their problems I've been solved. But we have to have a reason that this isn't gonna work, and it's not gonna work because nerds are dying on mountains like That's is one of the biggest stretches I've ever It's like this off camera problem that's really kind of not a problem.
Speaker 7: And also like, is it it would anyone argue it is your job as a store owner to determine that someone is incapable of something by just glancing at them.
Speaker 2: Right, the weirdest stretch, I just could not hear it.
Speaker 4: Okay, So there's an interesting story that goes along with this that's pretty awful. I was part of me wasn't even gonna tell it, but I was gonna. I figure out it's too perfect not to at this point because it just goes in exactly with what you're saying. So this week my brother Gary came out, my oldest brother came out to watch the taping, and he was there for the run through, and it's the first time he saw it. And at this scene and at the next scene, I looked over and his face was ashen, and it's because I had just realized that one of his best friends had just died in a climbing accident. It was I mean, I think it was weeks before or something like that. When I mean, somebody he grew up with had literally just died in a climbing accident, and we're sitting there joking about people dying in climbing accidents, and my brother too. That's when he said, that's when he was looking he was looking at like, I mean mortified watching this, And of course you don't think about something as random as that.
Speaker 1: We're like, you know what, I'm going to get out of this town I live in where my friend just died. I'm going to go to watch a comedy in Los Angeles.
Speaker 3: Joking about and that's what we're joking.
Speaker 1: They would never do a storyline about a small man dying on a mountain.
Speaker 3: And that's what happened, literally had just happened. Yeah, it was not terrible. Yeah, in the nineties.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So so that's one of the things I remember from doing this episode was watching that as you're kind of exactly what you're saying, like is this a bit ridiculous, Like you're saying that at the beginning of the of the show, like, come on, we're worried about people dying from it and then looking over and being like, oh god, it happened.
Speaker 3: Like it's rare obviously, but it was.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 3: It was a weird judge position, Yeah, bizarre.
Speaker 4: Didn't want to bring the room down, but it was too too much of a correlation to see that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it just goes to show like no matter what the storyline is or.
Speaker 3: With somebody, Yeah, it'll resonate with somebody.
Speaker 6: Nuts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally so to Panga assures Sean, everyone needs a job. People understand that. They walk into Turner's classroom and a kid who has spiky hair and looks like the bully sid from Toy Story tells Sean does he does?
Speaker 2: It was probably cast because of that, because he looked.
Speaker 4: Like and with such a bully name too.
Speaker 2: Random on his desk crandall.
Speaker 4: You've never seen me before, but I'm always here, ready to make fun of people, a.
Speaker 2: Sticking out of his.
Speaker 1: Mouth and a Southern accent. Yeah, so, he tells Sean, I hear our dads have a lot in common. My father is a doctor and your father's Oh wait, he cleans toilets my mistake. The audience oohs loudly. Even the inmates are disgusted, Sean responds, very funny. If you keep it up, I'm gonna punch your head off. The boy snaps back. Then your father's gonna pick it up.
Speaker 3: Oh sorry, I was doing that too with.
Speaker 1: The audience exactly. Turner, who is vested up looking like color me bad, steps in asking if everything's okay, because if it is, we're just gonna take a little break for your education, and then Turner begins to teach about H. G. Wells's bleak picture of class differences in the future from his book The Time Machine Above the surf. You have the.
Speaker 2: Literature they're bringing back. They're bringing it back. Having Tony on screen, especially like next to me, I was like, oh, I know, we're done with that whole era.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's over. It's over. That's it.
Speaker 2: There's no real acknowledgment of it now.
Speaker 3: I was just teaching like it would be so great.
Speaker 2: I mean, I know, we just we only have twenty two minutes, but like Turner should be involved in the discussion and part of the feeny thing, like I miss it, I miss it.
Speaker 1: It is so it is the show, So he says, the alloy living the good life below the surface, living like animals. You got the Morlocks doing all the dirty work. Chet walks into the classroom just at this moment, wheeling a TV and for the class to use, which, if you lived in the nineties, was the single greatest moment you could experience watching today.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, it's teacher doesn't know what to teach. They're just gonna throw on freaky Fridays, we are going to watch a movie about our ever growing bodies.
Speaker 3: I cannot wait.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the bully scoff speaking of your dad, and Sean snaps snaps back, speak of head off, which is not a great comeback.
Speaker 2: The worst I've ever heard was real.
Speaker 1: Jerk Store, George costanzavibes.
Speaker 2: You know it should have been more of a joke, like I should have played it up for speaking of get off. You know, there's a way to play it, but we're played it for drama.
Speaker 4: But it's the absolutely is jerk store.
Speaker 2: I don't know the jerk store of reference.
Speaker 4: George Constanz's comeback is he's got to come back at this store.
Speaker 1: And then he gets in the car and he leaves and on his way home, you real, he comes up with an insult and so he tries.
Speaker 4: Eating a bunch of shrimp, and the guy says, hey, George, the ocean called, they want their shrimp. The running out of shrimp. And as he's driving home, he's like, oh, that's what I should have said. And he goes, yeah, Well the jerk store called and they're running out of you and there's crickets.
Speaker 1: He was already on his way home and he drinks on he's got.
Speaker 4: It, and he thinks it's the perfect line, jerk store. I'm going with jerk stores. That's such a jerk store line.
Speaker 2: No one's talking about. You are the one. What you know, Sean?
Speaker 1: Stop Sean, this is You're embarrassing?
Speaker 3: Are I am rooting for Doug crandall? At this point.
Speaker 2: Should have just cut to him. Doug Crand will be like, what we go back to that? You want to try that again? It again? From the top.
Speaker 1: Turner explains, since there are no pictures in the book, he thought they'd take a look at the film version of the time Machine for once.
Speaker 2: The exactly why would Turner ever be like, let's watch a movie version of the book of the book. Where to get that TV in there?
Speaker 1: Jet hands the VHS to Turner, which resembles a Blockbuster box and says hi to his son on the way out. The bully mocks him, was the nice man your daddy? Corey tells Crandall to shut up, and Depega tells them to both ignore him. And how does Turner not hear all of this and step in?
Speaker 4: He's too busy rewinding the tape because the last guy didn't do it exactly.
Speaker 1: He was not kind.
Speaker 3: No, rewind rewind.
Speaker 1: Crandall purposefully knocks some things onto the floor for Chet to clean up. What are those rocks? Sunflower seeds?
Speaker 2: You've gotten something?
Speaker 3: The shells of some seeds like you do on your desk.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, so some it's hard.
Speaker 2: To tell without I know my definition.
Speaker 1: It's just like and you could hear them all fall, so it sounds like rocks fall.
Speaker 3: And I just carry gravel everywhere, go dog, Crandall anything.
Speaker 2: Crandall? What are you doing.
Speaker 3: Sitting here with my gravel? What's what's your problem?
Speaker 1: The boy stands up and calls for Sean's pappy. Sean stands up to Doug, why don't you do me a favor first? Doug asks what, and Shawn's lunges at him, saying, you can bleed and you can bleed is actually a great catchphrase for Sean.
Speaker 2: I'm like shouting while jumping like I'm ready to fight. What sorry, Sean, what did you say speaking? I jump like three feet to reach the guy because he's gig and sick like.
Speaker 4: This is also the school where no one ever throws a punch. You just go straight for the headlock and then wrestle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's if we're doing a lot of like tussle motion to make it look like we're fighting when nothing's happening. It was, this is not as good as the Cory No Corey Sean fight. Ben and I were much more comfortable with our studs. Me and this actor playing Doug crandall not as comfortable.
Speaker 3: And uh Sean Sean bib Yeah was that his name? Bib bab bab bab baby by that's it, Sean John bab.
Speaker 1: The two boys pretend fight until Corey and Turner break them apart. Corey holds Sean back as Turner looks disappointed, and then that's when I noticed for the first time the poster in the background that says Booggy.
Speaker 3: Down by the way, Happy Halloween everyone. That's how the show how the episode should have ended. Yes, it's just wait what I'm proud of? My dad is the janitor.
Speaker 1: And so then we are in Phoenie's office. Phoenie declares, it's mister Hunter in my office for getting into a fight. Let me show you my big surprised face, but then he stares down Sean without a single expression. Sean tells Phoenie to punish him so they can get on with their lives, and Phoene explains this is my life, asking what you've done and why you've done it. Sean argues back, it's nothing I did. It's about you hiring my father to be the janitor. How could you do that to me? Phoene is surprised. I never actually considered that it would be awkward having your father work here. Phoene explains if Chet working at the school is disruptive, he'll have to reconsider his employment. Sewan is surprised, you're on my side. Phoenie admits, frightening, isn't it. However, rather than take sides, I think the best course would be to throw it to you. Since he is his student, Sean can decide whether or not he wants his father to work there, and then we get dramatic music as Sean realizes it's up to him and he leaves the office, allowing Bill to do some serious pen fiddling.
Speaker 2: Excellent Phoene sing Pie Peeni. I mean, like, this is just the ultimate Phoene scene, right, Yeah, You're You're the authority figure who's supposed to come down hard and instead you taekwondo it, You flip it and suddenly it's like whoa, Sean's energy is thrust back at him and he has to like think for himself. Come on, it's great, this is like, yeah, this arc, the Phoene Sean side of this episode is excellent. Cla classic Phoenie. Great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and yeah, I love it and a great problem to have.
Speaker 4: That's one of the things that I had wrong with this episode is it could have been so good because it's a great problem. Your dad needs a job he works at the same school. Is that embarrassing? Oh man, the things you could have done with it are incredible. Also, why wasn't Crandall in trouble or was he was? He maybe yelled.
Speaker 1: At and maybe he was yelled at sept.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm thinking. That's what I went to.
Speaker 2: YEAHI was just like, what are you eating in class?
Speaker 4: The pocket of gravel or and or Lucci all this time miss.
Speaker 2: Gravel. Again, we have to.
Speaker 1: Talk about a dentist. I could recommend to you.
Speaker 4: Your father's a doctor, mister Crandall, you should talk to him.
Speaker 1: And then we are in the school hallway. It is now that I've noticed it, it is absolutely filled with Halloween posters.
Speaker 2: It was such a note, you know, they were like, what do we do it? We got I want Halloween everywhere, everywhere, everywhere with cameras.
Speaker 3: It's now the it's the spooky blood drive.
Speaker 2: Let's go change the poster. There is like this prank thing, like you know, Sean does the prank in the beginning with the milk car, and it's like there could have been something like hallow, it's a treat. It's the season of pranks.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah?
Speaker 4: And again how does Crandall not then take candy wrappers and throw them on the ground.
Speaker 1: I mean it's like, that's it's holloway size.
Speaker 3: You need gravel.
Speaker 4: Not at your house, Daniel full That's right, it's place I go.
Speaker 1: Corey is sitting down paper towels as he and Sean get ready for lunch. Corey explains he doesn't want to make a mess because somebody's got to clean it up, and I don't want anybody to clean it up. And then Doug and his friend who was not paid to speak, so he doesn't ever say anything, but.
Speaker 3: He's got leather jacket, so he's bad. You know he's bad. Leave the jacket gang back.
Speaker 1: Doug loudly says, so. The toilet overflows, and Phoene asks the new janitor if he can handle it. Guy says, hey, when I was in the CIA, I opped up after the sandinistas. I can mop up this. Then, in the most d bag TGIF has ever seen up to this point, he says, janitors are so colorful, and he walks on, and then the crowd oohs very loudly, but doesn't feel like that was very sick burn, in my opinion.
Speaker 4: Not as sick as speaking of head off. Yeah, I mean, where do you go from after that? You've hit the pinnacle complete. As long as you weren't humiliated, you're fine.
Speaker 3: If you aren't humiliated, you're humiliated. Humiliate ooge. Supposedly you were humiliate million million.
Speaker 1: It's very hard to say wrong. Just then Poenie walks by and Sean rushes to him he's thought it over. Phoene replies, Wow, that took all of five minutes. I'm glad you gave it the time it deserved. Sean reveals, I think it'd be best for everybody if you just let my dad go. Feenie agrees it is important to look out for everybody. Sean asks when he's going to be fired, and Phoene says it may take a few days to find a replacement, so he'll tell Chet about his decision after that, and right on cute Chet walks up to Corey's array of paper towels. What pig eight here? And obviously guilty feeling, Sean tries to convince Corey that he's actually doing his dad a favor, but we can feel he doesn't actually believe it. And then we're back in the wilderness outpost, which also is completely ducked out in decorative Halloween ghosts. Yep, and Eric excitedly announces that Ezekiel sold all the rock climbing shoes, but Alan says he sold them to customers who had no business buying them. Eric asks, so, if we get past that nagging moral issue, that all those people are gonna die. We could be very successful.
Speaker 3: Right then the funny line.
Speaker 1: It is very funny. Alan says he'd had dreams of skinny little men and brand new rock climbing shoes, falling off a mountain screaming at him, you sold me these you merchants of Day.
Speaker 3: And Rusty and I could not get through this because.
Speaker 1: Even with your brother standing nearby. Crime No.
Speaker 4: Luckily, by this point he would. Gary wasn't there for the actual KP. He just came for the He was there for the run through.
Speaker 1: He was probably planning to be there for the running but then when he saw who I'm out of here?
Speaker 4: We we could not, I mean, because Rusty was so funny and we just we laughed for a day straight. It was so funny, funny, I love you, I.
Speaker 1: Love thinking about you, and Rusty not being able to keep it together.
Speaker 3: Oh we couldn't. We could not get through this scene. We just had the giggles the whole time. It was so funny.
Speaker 1: So Eric asks merchants of Day and Aaron clarifies death. Eric tries to make him feel better, Well, if we weren't making stacks and stacks of money dreams like that, would really bug us, another very funny line, and then Ezekiel walks in. He has terrible news from the hill country. Alan guesses they found the bodies, and Ezekiel continues, my mama's took sick. She wants him to come home so he can tend to her. Eric is furious, you can't just leave. We don't know how to sell stuff. Ezekiel calms him, don't worry, I'd never leave you. Kind folks in alrics, you blew.
Speaker 2: Past one of the best moments ever when Will just takes a whole full like beat, walks up and says, powerful Sick is one of the greatest line reads ever. Powerful sick? Are you kidding me? Like that is one of the greatest, Like if you read that on the page, the line is Mama took sick, and then Eric says powerful sick. But Will makes a meal out of it and just kills it. And then I wanted to keep going. Then you adjusted. I was like, oh, if we'll just keeps playing off the Ezekiel like speak and like Eric, it becomes like Mountain Man with him. Oh, I would watch a whole episode of that Powerful Sick. Oh my god, that was funny, my god, like my favorite that these are the two best lines of the whole episode, because MERCHANTI dad, powerful.
Speaker 1: Powerful, sick o man, oh god. Ezekiel says he got his younger brother's youngster, Lonnie to come down here and take my place. Furious, Eric gets all up in Ezekiel's face. Now you looky here. We hired you, okay, not Lonnie. We don't know Lonnie. We don't want Lonnie. Okay? Why would you tell Lonnie to go back where Lonnie came from? And then a girl in tiny shorts and a crop top walks in. She's Lonnie. Eric screams in excitement, Dad, look who's here. It's Lonnie. Oh man, that really made me laugh too. Your turn from Lonnie get Lonnie out of here to screaming Lonnie in excitement was very funny. And then we're back in the Hunter's trailer. Verna's setting out dinner as Sean walks in and tells her there's this kid at school who spilled his milk all over the floor, forcing somebody to come and clean it up. Verna asks, he did this in front of your friends. Sean nods, in front of everybody. Verna asks if you did a good job leaving the floor lemony fresh. Sean emphasizes Dad's a school janitor. It's humiliating, Verna sorry he feels that way because she is so proud of Chet she could bust. She explains that for twenty years we have lived on your father's stories, and those used to make me angry because none of them were real. But your story about your father being a janitor, that's real, and yeah, that makes me proud and like, good scene, great, great, great line, great point, like gets me in my feels.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I tried, but I was so distracted by how she was not the mashed potatoes.
Speaker 1: Why the right way to make a wi Well?
Speaker 4: First of all, the milk was obviously not warmed in any way, shape or form.
Speaker 3: She's making him in a.
Speaker 4: Glass bowl on the table, not even over the heat in any way, shape or form.
Speaker 1: Back would have to be a camera for that.
Speaker 4: Will Well have priorities mashed potatoes first, TV show second. Okay, that's the way it works, I'm sure, she said wonderful things until she added a little bit of margarine.
Speaker 1: They should have the potato party. Aposta party would have solved everyone's problems.
Speaker 4: Here I'm just saying, I'm sure the scene was very good. I couldn't tell because I was too worried about the cold, lumpy margarine to mashed potatoes.
Speaker 1: Well, we know where our priorities are. Chet busts through the door with a huge smile on his face. He looks, I realized in this moment, he looks like John Goodman like, and this is like coming in. He reminds me of John Goodman coming in Roseanne.
Speaker 3: And that's what I'm saying. They did like the Roseanne show this week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he greets the two as his little nuclear family unit. There's my wife making supper, there's my son home from school. The only thing missing to complete the scene of domestic regularity is dad's first paycheck. And then Chet pulls out his first paycheck. And I first thought, how'd he get that so fast? It's one been one day. Then I thought Phoene's plan. It's all part of Phoene's plan. He knows well. On the one hand, he could have sent him home with his check because it's his last check, right, He's going to fire him tomorrow. He wants Sean to think he's gonna fire him tomorrow. But I don't think that's as realistic as the idea that he knows he's gonna come home thrilled to have a paycheck. So I think I think it's all part of making Phoenie the wonderful, all knowing manipulator behind the scenes of all that.
Speaker 3: He's Yoda.
Speaker 1: Yes he really is, he says, well, look he here, and I earned it, I really did. Verna grabs him for a passionate kiss and Chet is shocked. What the heck was that? She tells him there's plenty more where that came from. That you probably won't recognize either, mister paycheck. You know what I thought here, Verna's.
Speaker 2: DTLM takes us a bitcheck.
Speaker 3: Well, she's certainly not DTM. She's not down to mash so many problems.
Speaker 1: Chet says, not in front of the boy. I ain't really had a chance to explain to young Shawnie the dirtiness of life. Verna reiterates how proud she is, and he thanks her. I think I'm doing a good job too, because mister Feeney wants to see me in his office first thing in the morning, he jokes. He jokes, kind of like father like son. Huh, Sean. Sean is visibly sad, and Chet asks what's wrong? And Sean asks, are you okay with this job? It didn't bother you to be cleaning up after other people, and Chet admits it's not exactly pearl diving in Portugal, but he has this amazing benefits package, and Sean scoffs. What benefits are there to being a janitor? Chat tells him, well, for one thing, after being away from my son for a year, what better benefit than a job that lets me be near him. Verna gives Shan a big smile and Sean smiles back. But the idea that he's forced Feeney to fire Chet in the morning is weighing heavy.
Speaker 3: Very nice, by the way, you said that said that well for force.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thanks.
Speaker 2: Fire Fred fo fire friends.
Speaker 3: That's the problem that this.
Speaker 4: Scene just indicates how the entire episode could have been better if they'd just rewritten that first scene, because it really is just the first scene that's the problem. The rest of it is great. Yeah, so yeah, it did it did. So.
Speaker 1: Then we're back in John Adams High. Sean's waiting by his locker as mister foene walks by. He runs up to Feenie, who shocked to see Sean at school early. My life's work is done. Goodbye everyone, so good. Sean says he's changed his mind about his dad working at school, and Phoene says he's already started searching for a replacement. Sean begs him, you have to cancel it, okay, because you can't just do that to a guy who's finally found a steady job. And my mom, who's been waiting all this time for him to be responsible, came to the chair and she put her arm around him. Phoenie understands, thanks for a second and says, Oki doki. Sean's confused, I'm me too, just like that, and Phoene explains, I'm the principle I willed great and mysterious powers. Besides that, I was never going to fire your father in the first place, because this never about your father. This was always about you. Phoenie pats him on the shoulder and walks away.
Speaker 2: And he says, because you're the student, right, what the line.
Speaker 1: Is always about you?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Oh man, awesome. Yeah. And this is where we get into like the sort of the question of you know, the reality of boy meets world being from like the kid's point of view. You know, where your principle is God, like your principal is the sort of on your teacher. You know, originally your teacher knows best. You know, like teacher knows best. Could kind of be like a subatic message of boy meets World. Yeah, it's very interesting.
Speaker 1: So great. So Cory and Topanga, who have been creepingly like, did you notice us creepily standing in the back?
Speaker 4: No, because I couldn't see anything the tiny little skirt you're wearing.
Speaker 1: We continue to not care about what she looks like.
Speaker 4: Sue, and Sue's like, oh my god, how did her parents let her out of the house like that?
Speaker 3: Get back upstairs and put on a longer dress.
Speaker 1: I know. I think it's funny that after the haircutting episode, it was like, yeah, you're right, and then I've continued to just wear super cute little outfits, do my hair and makeup every day. It's I mean, it's cute. We're in peak Daniell, peak Danielle time. Uh So they Corey and Tanga walk up and Corey asks what was so important that we had to be here five minutes early. Sean looks over at Doug and his thug buddy. They've also been hanging out nearby for really no reason. I just wanted to watch you drink this milk. He pulls a carton out of his backpack and hands it to Corey, who says, I guess I could always use a little milk to Panga asks.
Speaker 2: No, then Sean just throw some milk on the ground, right.
Speaker 1: Right, But he wanted they need they want to do a gravel cory into it, so Corey. Corey knows that this is a bit because Corey looks over his shoulder at Doug like, yeah, I'll help you do this. So they just wanted to tie it together. That the core always he's gotten, He's got nothing, nothing.
Speaker 3: This was not a Corey episode.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So this is interesting because he could have easily been like involved on the Phoene side, right, like Corey could have been in other episodes. He's played that role where he's like, I'm worried about Sean to like mister Feenie or mister Turner and sort of helping him. But in this episode he's just there for laughs and yep, not not affecting change at all.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So Tapanga asks, is this another one of those delightful little stunts. Sean thinks to Panga may actually like this one, and then he knocks the cart and out of Corey's hand. Milk spills all over the floor. Corey shocked, and Shohan apologizes, so he is kind of in on it. But then he asks, very shocked about what happened. Sean apologizes, and then Doug walks up, looks like we get to start another day with your dad, and Sean proudly responds, looks like we do. Chat walks out of the janitorial closet or the bathroom.
Speaker 3: Bathroom, says bathrooms, bathroom. Also he seems to just sense when something spilled on the.
Speaker 1: Floors, always in the bathroom.
Speaker 2: Twenty seven into the tower. Alert, Alert, we have cleaning crew.
Speaker 4: Cleaning crew, immediately, we have milk down on for this twenty eight floor tower.
Speaker 1: He comes out and says, looks like I'm needed here. Sean stops him, grabs the mop from his hand and says, here, DoD, let me take care of that. He mops proudly in front of Doug's face. Chet says he doesn't have to do that, but Sean responds, I know I don't, and I know you don't either. Chet smiles as the crowd crowd claps loudly and Sean continues mopping in front of the two bullies who.
Speaker 4: Hate him, but Doug also gives him kind of like a yeah, respect man, man, he does respect for something.
Speaker 2: It's that moment karate kid. Yes, cat in the face.
Speaker 3: Illegally, by the way, but that's a whole nother story. Yeah, it was.
Speaker 4: It was a strange kind of like, yeah, I respect that you're now also helping to the milk you caused problems with I'm Doug, you'll never see.
Speaker 2: Me again, Doug crandall empty Doug crandall.
Speaker 4: Out Jerk store with jerk store.
Speaker 1: And then we're in the Wilderness Outpost?
Speaker 2: Is really the wilderness Outpost?
Speaker 4: Is that what it?
Speaker 1: That's what it's called the store it's outside of it says Wilderness Outpost, but I never.
Speaker 2: Scribble said wilderness store. Yeah, it's a backyard.
Speaker 1: It's a backyard and a wilderness store. So a lot of staring in the Wilderness Store in this episode, as Eric is now staring at a Lonnie who is explaining to Willie Garson, who's back in the store, that bow hunting takes a special kind of man, a man who can stand his ground when a grizzly bears charging right at him.
Speaker 2: Picks up not a bow but a cross though, which doesnt with the crossbow. No, it's not. It's the weirdest, like, why not.
Speaker 1: Know any of it? It could have been a bow, it could have been.
Speaker 2: That is a crossbow cross I mean maybe people hunt with crossboys. I don't know, but it's definitely not the same as bohun Like you're you and your bow and an arrow and you're going out. Yeah, it's highly skilled and yeah, yep.
Speaker 1: Well, Mervin responds, I work for Merrill Lynch. She hands him the bow. You'll be fine. Sorry, she hands him Mervin Ross. But yes, his name is Mervin.
Speaker 6: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Alan tells Ezekiel behind the counter. I must say, I'm a little concerned about your niece working here. She seems like a sweet, nice girl, but she is on the attractive side and could be a distraction to a lot of young men, so she should not be allowed to exist.
Speaker 3: No, she should have jobs.
Speaker 2: No, No, you can't have a job where you're going to get you're attracted men.
Speaker 1: You might distract on you. Get out of here, fired fired damn women, and then he says, like, oh, say my son who has to work with her every day. Ezekiel sures there's nothing to worry about. Lonetta was raised with eleven brothers, but the way he says it is like he's an eleven brother.
Speaker 3: Oh interesting, he's not. Yeah, he's not. He doesn't know the handshake. Come on, ryder.
Speaker 1: Yes, they brought her up as girly as they could, but danged if she didn't turn out all boy. Eric approaches Lonnie, saying it'd probably be in their best interest to get to know each other since they'll be working together. She kindly asks, you mean that, Eric? He emphasizes, I've never been more serious about anything in my entire life. She punches him and tells him how friendly ouch That punch stung? She asks, you like to go hunting? You like to go fishing? We can do some boxing. She puts up her dukes and starts punching Eric again. He's in pain, asking her to stop. As she pummels him. She puts him in a choke hold and tells him to not hold back. Not the face, Eric yells. Ezekiel tells Alan, yeah, her brothers are real glad she found work. Eric eventually falls over in defeat and Lonnie celebrates like Rocky after a knockout.
Speaker 3: She beat the hell of me.
Speaker 2: Really, I was wondering, actually have week.
Speaker 4: No pads, to the point where the third day I was covered in bruises and I had to pull her aside and said, can you can you please pull your punches a little bit?
Speaker 2: If memories?
Speaker 4: First of all, she couldn't have been sweeter. She and I got along really really well, good actress. She'd done a bunch of episodes since after, and we loved working together. But I had to go to her bruises in hand and say, can you please pull your punches? Because at first she had a ring on and she was dating a guy at the time who was like a martial arts master who apparently she had trained with, and as my wife says, I bruise like a peach. Yeah, so I mean she be. I would go home and take my shirt off, and I was covered in bruises from this woman, and so it was like, can you please, could you please stop actually beating me up? During the run through, She's like, I'm so sorry, of course, but it was man that that whole week hurts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, I just want you guys to know we looked up Mickey Jones's birthday and it was June tenth. So close, so close.
Speaker 3: He's got an eleventh brother vibe though.
Speaker 1: Yeah he does. You're right, Yeah, you're right. Well, thank you all for joining us for this episode of Podmeets World. You can follow us on Instagram pod Meets World Show. You can send us your emails pod meets World Show at gmail dot com. And we have merch merchant of merger pod Meets World.
Speaker 2: It is a powerful merch.
Speaker 3: Powerful that's good too, Powerful powerful.
Speaker 2: Merch, powerful merch.
Speaker 1: Pod Meeatsworldshow dot com writer, send us out.
Speaker 2: We love you all, pod dismissed. Pod Meets World is an iHeart podcast producer and hosted by Danielle Fischel, Wilfridell and Ryder Strong. Executive producers Jensen Carp and Amy Sugarman, Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo, producer and editor, Tarasubash, producer, Maddie Moore, engineer and boy meets World Superman Easton Allen. Our theme song is by Kyle Morton of Typhoon. Hellow us on Instagram at Podmets World Show or email us at podmetsworldshowat gmail dot com. M