Therésa: Hello, my undead heads, and welcome back to another episode of Haunting. I'm your ghost host Therésa, and we've got two deliciously unsettling stories for you today. But before we get into that, we got a lot of love after our tenth episode Milestone, So let's open some fan emails. Our first letter reads, Dear Therésa, I love you so much and would do anything for you. Oh I love you too. Please send me a pair of your used socks. You're too sweet. If only I still had feet. Let's see what else? Ooh Len, this one's for you. Len, how do you spend your free time when you're not in studio?
Len: (MUMBLES)
Therésa: Uh wow, and you have a special harness for that, I assume.
Len: (MUMBLES)
Therésa: Huh? You learn something new every day. Oh? What's this? Someone special has sent you a ghoulish gift. Click here to claim. If it's the Concord Beauty Lipstick and Blush combo palette from my wish list, I'm gonna die, well again. No, shoot, no, it's it's downloading something. Oh no, no, no, no, stop stop, shit stop stop. Okay, well you know, I'm sure it's fine. What was that? Len, what's happening? Wait? What? we're getting trolled? Like, like literally?
Len: (MUMBLES)
Therésa: Who is spamming us, you guys? not cool. Gross. How do these trolls move so fast? No, no get out of here. Drop it, drop it, drop it. Namoi little help here. Throw to our first story.
STORY A: In the beginning, everything was great, but it got worse the longer that we were there. It was weighing on me, and it was weighing on my husband, and it was scary. I am Ashley and there was something dark living in my house. My husband and I moved to Rowlett , Texas. It is a quiet suburb twenty minutes outside of Dallas, lakeside community. Cute little duplex, three bedroom, two bath, newly renovated. In the beginning, everything was great. The neighbors were so friendly and everything like that. But a couple months after we moved in, I started noticing strange little things. I was making coffee one morning, I left the room and I came back. All of our drawers were open. I'm the only one in the house besides my daughter. My husband was on shift so he wasn't there, and she was eight weeks. Old at the time. She couldn't have done it. So I thought that's strange, but I just like, Okay, my scattered self probably opened them. So I just closed them and just poured my coffee and I left. That same day, I was meeting a friend and we went to a softball game. When we came back, the first thing that we saw as we opened the door was so strange. Our house is an open floor plan, so when you walked through the front door, you could see the kitchen. When we came back from the softball game. I opened the door and as the door opens, I look up and every single kitchen cabinet is open at a precise ninety degree angle. It wasn't like someone just came in and casually opened these cabinets. It was as if someone or something intentionally placed each of those cabinets at that angle. No one was home during that time. I was the last person to leave that morning. I just remember my stomach drop. It was a very stark image. You walk in that door and you see that, especially since that morning I had that experience with the drawers. That's when it felt like more things were going to come, and there was a darker feeling. It was more of an unsettling feeling. I don't know, how else to describe it except not safe, not light, not friendly. So that was the beginning of it. One night, I was laying in bed and we had these sliding glass doors that looked out to our backyard where we had this above ground pool. I saw shadowy figures in the pool, and it was far enough away and it was dark enough to where I couldn't tell exactly what it was, but I could definitely tell it was two figures. So I get up and I go and pulled back the curtain to look in the backyard. They looked like people, but they were shadows. They didn't have eyes or faces, but I could feel them staring at me. So I wake up my husband. By the time he got to the window, he's like, I thought I saw something leave, but he wasn't convinced. He went out there and he looked and there was nobody there. There was nobody in the alley, nobody around there, hiding in the fence or the bushes, and so I was just thinking, Okay, maybe you were seeing things. Shortly after that, my daughter was staying in my room with me, and We had two dogs at the time, and they would stay in my room as well. My husband, he's a firefighter, so he'll work twenty four hour shifts, so he's gone for a full twenty four hours. So it was just us. in my daughter's room, there were all these, you know, Fisher Price toys that play music, and I heard a toy going off in my daughter's room. I thought it was maybe our dog, but both dogs are still in my room. There was no voices. It just was like this melody that would go up high and cheerful. And that's what made it even more eerie. I'm walking through the living room into my daughter's room. As I'm getting closer, my heart's racing faster the toy. Right, you shouldn't be scared of a toy, but you can't fight that feeling. I go into my daughter's room and I see the toy that's playing the music. The toy is actually switched off, but it's still playing music. I turn it on, and I turn it off again, and I take a deep breath. I set it back down and I start walking out of the room. It starts playing again. That moment, I truly felt like I wasn't alone and there was someone else there. As scared as I was, I picked it back up, took out the batteries, and as I'm leaving, it continues to play. So I closed the door, went back to my room and just sat there and was terrified all night long, just sitting there waiting, like knowing that there is something in that room. That was the first of many instances where those toys would still go off even if they didn't have batteries on, even if it was turned off. My daughter always had a very hard time sleeping in that room. She could sleep anywhere. She was the easiest baby, but no matter what, she would just not settle in that room. She started getting night terrors. It's like screams that you have never heard before in your life, shocking, blood curling screams. Then you try to comfort them and they don't recognize who you are. They're almost scared of you. And she would get those quite frequently. I can tell you that that was not normal. One night, my husband and I were sitting on the couch. We had just turned off the TV, and we heard from underneath the couch this growl. It wasn't like an animal growl, was unearthly. We literally felt the couch shake and vibrate. We sat there for a moment in silence, he said, did you feel that? Yes. Did you hear that? And I said yes. My husband has been a firefighter now for twelve years. He is not scared of anything. He was extremely scared in that moment. He's very logical, not dramatic. What you see is what you get. He can joke things off, but in this situation, there was no way to laugh it off. It just was so real. We broke our lease and moved out a month later. I'm not sure what exactly was in that house, but I am extremely thankful that we got out. Six days after we moved out, a tornado came and unfortunately destroyed a lot of Rowlett. My husband and I decided that we wanted to see if our neighbors were safe, see our old house, and we were curious about the damage and the destruction. When we drove down our old street, we noticed that our daughter's room was completely gone. It just was a very dark, dark house and once we moved and we left that house, a huge weight lifted. It felt much lighter, sunnier, and life continued on as it should be.
Therésa: So apparently we've got some kind of Ecto malware and all hell is breaking loose, Right, not literally but maybe literally who knows anymore. IT is on their way, but we're glitching. Oh my god, this is so annoying. We're glitching until they get here.
Glitch: You've been preapproved for a new line of credit. Enjoy flexible rewards tailored to your after lifestyle needs.
Therésa: Shut up, gross. Len? There's a good of slime seeping through the ceiling in here.
Len: (MUMBLES)
Therésa: Well call IT again. Oh god, what now? My DMs are blowing up. No, no, oh, this this is too far. Every single one of my posts has been changed to the twenty four hour RayBan Anniversary sales scam.
STORY B: I started hearing some banging. Sounded like baseball bats and like hammers and just smashing things. So I'm a little freaked out, like, Okay, what if it's somebody who's just gonna kill me or something. What if they're trying to break through the wall? Hi, I'm Kayla, And this is the story of when a ghost was doing construction in the next room. I am an art student, so I spend a lot of time in the studios. One of the studios is in a really traditional Victorian ish style building, but it was one of the more haunted buildings on campus. It was Friday, and campus is usually dead on Friday, so it wouldn't be like anyone else would be there. And I've been there a few times at night and nothing's happened. But this was different. It is pretty late at night, maybe like ten o'clock. I am finishing a painting in the studio when I started hearing some banging. Earlier that day they had been doing some either renovations or some sort of work in the part of the building that's like next door. But like, it's ten o'clock at night. Everyone should be home by now. It's not business hours. They're not going to be doing construction that hour. Why is there banging? So I'm nervous because I knew no one else was over there. It kind of sounded like a hammer, but like much more aggressive than you would hammer. In the nail normally. It's the type of noise you'd hear in like a rage room. A rage room is essentially this room that you can go into with a bunch of things that either people donate or or for cheap that you just break. You get to go around with baseball bats and like hammers and just smash things to let out some rage. That's about the digression whole, and it was starting to sound like it was in the same room. So I'm freaking out. I call my roommate, hoping that she picks up. I'm Rose Kayla's roommate. I could immediately tell that something was up. Usually we just text. I mean, she texted me a few hours before to say that she was staying late in the studio because she does that, so it wasn't anything unusual for her to be there that late, but her calling me when she was there is definitely weird. She sounded a little scared. I said, there's some noise happening right now. Can you come down here and help me clean up and walk back with me? She's still a little confused. She put her phone on speaker and was like, can you hear this? She says no, but I'll be there soon, because she was like going out the door when we hung up. I did not want to go there. It kind of freaks me out in there honestly. They're old buildings, and the sink in the painting studio, for whatever reason, it never turns off, so it's always dripping constantly. It's just faintly in the background and you can always hear it. But she was freaked out, so I went to meet her. While she's on her way over, banging is still happening, and I'm trying to ignore it, but it's gotten consistent. Painting calms me down, so my instinct is let's keep painting. But it's not like I'm making any progress because it's still jump scaring me. It's about the fifteen minute walk to get to the art buildings, but it might have been a bit faster. It's a bit of a walk, but if she's speed walking, it can be down in about ten minutes. I get there and the door to a painting studio has one of those like electronic swipe systems, but it doesn't really work. She knocks on the doors and scares me, like no man's business. Cause it still happening in the other room, But now they're staying on the door. I go to the door. There are little windows. I peek out. My roommate's out there. I just lurked outside the door ominously waiting for her to let me in. As soon as I open the door, the banging completely stops, as if it was never happening. I'm visibly nervous. She can see this, so she probably thought it was a little sleep deprived and like a little crazy as to like, so why am I here again? I said, but there was a bunch of noise. It's done now, but I want to leave. Can you help me clean up? And she looked very scared. She looked like she'd seen a ghost. We cleaned up as fast as we possibly could. With two people, it takes about two minutes. It was probably close to five minutes for us to get out there. She shuts off all the nights, and as soon as the door closed, she let out this sigh because obviously she had been freaked out being in there. I think me being there definitely reassured her, but she wasn't actually calming down until we were out of the building. Then we just started our treck home. We didn't talk about it much right away. For the most part, she wasn't talking about what had happened there. She was talking a lot, but it didn't have anything to do with noises in the painting studio. I think it was her trying to distract herself. I didn't hear about any vandalism or damage that happened. I feel like that would have been pretty well known within the art students. It would have been like somebody vandalized the work in the gallery something like that. I'm ninety eight percent sure that it wasn't somebod else, but that also makes me ninety eight percent sure that it was a ghost. We do know of a ghost that lives there. It's the ghost of the original first engineer. He's the guy that worked for the family that owned the estate. He's the one that designed the building and the boiler that used to be there. Because of hasty construction, the boiler ended up blowing up. He tragically died there. So his ghost haunts the place. Now that's where you're gonna find him. Yeah, it was probably him. I still have class in there, so I'm back there a lot. I just don't really go in at night anymore.
Therésa: Well, IT finally showed up and took care of things. They're installing a firewall, which is a lot more literal here. But I will not rest until I find whoever did this, and when I do, I will personally see to it that you go straight to hell and not the fun, sexy part of hell where it's hot sinners and bottle service the side for people who don't urn right on red
Len: (MUMBLES)
Therésa: Really think it's a good idea to share the email after everything we've been through today?
Len: (MUMBLES)
Therésa: If you have a scare to share email HauntingThePodcast@gmail.com for a chance to share a story in a future episode.
Len: (MUMBLES)
Therésa: HauntingThePodcast@gmail.com Happy?
Len: (MUMBLES)
Therésa: My social platforms are all I have. So once you've been reduced to a hackey Internet scam, then we can talk. No one come after me.
Credits: If you have a Haunting story to share, please email us at HauntingThePodcast@gmail.com. Haunting is a production of Glass Podcast in partnership with iHeart Podcast. Haunting was created and executive produced by Nancy Glass, Andrea Gunning, Ben Fetterman, and Lauren Lapkus. It is hosted by Lauren Lapkus as her character Therésa. Haunting is directed by Aleah Welsh and produced by Trey Morgan. It is written by Aleah Welsh, with additional writing by Nancy Glass, Trey Morgan, Ben Fetterman, and Kristen Melchiorre. Additional production support by Todd Ganz. Additional voice acting by Trey Morgan as the character producer Len Walker. Editing and sound designed by Matt Delvecchio with additional editing by Nico Arouca. Mixed and mastered by Dave Saia. Operations and production support by Kristin Melchiorre. Haunting's theme and original compositions were composed by Oliver Baines and Dorry Macaulay of Noiser. Music Library provided by Mibe Music. Special thanks to Speakeasy Sound Studios in Burbank, California. Follow us on social media by searching for Glass Podcast or by visiting glasspodcasts.com. For more shows from iHeart Podcasts and Glass podcast, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast, or wherever you get your podcasts